Speaker 1: Trust me? Do you trust me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 1: Lead you as trust? This is the truth, the only truth.
Speaker 2: If anybody ever tells you to just trust them, don't welcome to trust me. The podcast about cults, extreme belief and manipulation from two spiritual soldiers who've actually experienced it.
Speaker 4: I'm Lola Blanc.
Speaker 3: And I'm Megan Elizabeth, a spiritual soldier to My Core to Your Core. This week, writer Harrison Hill joins us to discuss his new book, The Oracle's Daughter, which follows the rise and fall of a small cult called the Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Court. WHOA, it's quite a mouthful. He explains what the religious.
Speaker 2: Landscape in America looked like at the time, with the unrest of the sixties transitioning into a new Christianity movement, and how this group's leader, Lila Carter, who later became Deborah, began her spiritual journey on a commune called the Bear Tribe.
Speaker 3: The Bear Tribe is something I would probably join. We'll discuss the beginning of Leila's own visions of giving birth to what she called spiritual soldiers, how her following grew, and the parallels between her and Shaker leader Anne Lee we'll talk about how the group became more controlling and cruel over time, changing people's names to words like despise, using physical punishment on its members, and even kidnapping a baby. And finally we'll touch on how Llila's daughter, Sarah, the subject of Harrison's book, found her way out. Very inspiring story lots to dive into before we do that diving.
Speaker 2: Since we're professional divers, are we No? I literally moved in with my dad to avoid the diving program in my school in middle school.
Speaker 4: You I am like, like diving in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Utah, my middle school had like a diving like is.
Speaker 3: The Mormon thing, like you guys are gonna have to live in the ocean.
Speaker 2: No, it was just like the pe decided like all right, this quarter we're doing diving, and I was like, I'm not doing that, So I'm gonna live with dad instead because I that's how much I'm not a diver.
Speaker 3: I learned to dive in a swimming pool. Well yeah, this was a swimming pool as well.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the ocean.
Speaker 3: There wasn't the ocean and Utah, Yeah, okay, anyway, we're not divers.
Speaker 2: But on this podcast, sometimes we.
Speaker 4: Dive into stories.
Speaker 3: I get what you're caays, and you're probably wondering what my cultiest thing is.
Speaker 4: You're probably wanting to dive. Please let me dive.
Speaker 3: Okay, diving straight in This week, according to The New York Times and every other publication in the world, the founder of One Taste.
Speaker 2: Oh that was mine. Shit, It's okay, We'll share it. We'll share it.
Speaker 4: Nicole. How do you say her last name?
Speaker 3: Day?
Speaker 4: Don't?
Speaker 2: I don't know Day don't. They don't.
Speaker 3: She's gone to nine years in prison. She deserves. She as a hefty.
Speaker 4: Million upon million dollar fine.
Speaker 3: We did do a rewind episode because we did speak to somebody who very much was a part of One Taste.
Speaker 4: Her name was Alana oak.
Speaker 2: Our back again, another last name. I don't know how to say. Why do last names need to be so hard? No one's ever said mine correctly? So like, I get it, but I'm sorry. If we're butchering, they will call me.
Speaker 4: A Lola blank.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if I mispronounce your name, you can call me Lola blank anytime you want.
Speaker 3: We care about mispronouncing names except for Nicoles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she sucks, Nicole de Doo.
Speaker 3: She really sucks, and tell, since we're sharing a cultius thing, tell the people a little bit what Nicole got herself into.
Speaker 2: So for those who were not following this One Taste saga that's been going on for years, this was a self acclaimed like wellness and empowerment company. They had this technique called orgasmic meditation and they were trying to become as mainstream as yoga. All these celebrities participated in it.
Speaker 4: Then it must be normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course Gwyneth Paltrow participated in it, so so how could she not? And like it involved stuff like group orgasm and was sort of like purporting to be this like female led, like feminist, like you know, women should have orgasms, they're good for you thing. But then of course they were forcing labor from their followers, unpaid labor. She was coercing people in all kinds of ways and controlling their lives, as cul leaders tend to do.
Speaker 4: So she has finally been sentenced.
Speaker 3: Yes, as well as her co oc comp was Cherwit's Rachel Cherwitz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were also. I'm reading from the Times dot Com an article written by Joshua Thurston called the Fall of One Taste Orgasm meditation cult leader Nicole Dato or however you say it. It says they used abusive and manipulative tactics to gain control over some of the participants when they were unable to pay the fees for the courses, so they would force them to settle these debts by working without pay, including manual labor as well as sexual services exactly in some cases seven days, oh fucking week. It doesn't say fucking I added the fucking yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, the sexual abuse is just built into the system under the guise of like orgasms for women, and then suddenly you're the vagina model that's supposed to be uh getting orgasms.
Speaker 2: It's just like, what the hell, yeah, because the conceit of it is that someone else who has clothing on masturbates a woman, and so like you are expected to participate publicly in this like sexual ritual, which I'm sure, well, I've actually spoken to at least one person who participated and had a great time, but not everybody is going to have that.
Speaker 3: A year suggested that we go to it when we first started this podcast in the early early days.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeh, we were like, let's go look at it.
Speaker 3: Not for as investment to join it as investigative journalists, of which we turned out never to, thank God, because I would have joined it. You would have joined it, for I would have joined it for sure. So yeah, I'm glad we never went. I'm glad that they're being held accountable, and I'm just feel so sorry for all these women whose body was used and what should have been a very empowering group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like the time wasted to Sometimes I think about that. I'm just like the years of your life that is taken from you when you are exploited by people like this. Yes, there's so many other wonderful things people could be doing with their lives besides being exploited by fucking Nicole Didaru. So I'm glad she's finally facing some consequences for her actions. Yeah, well, do you know who is giving nobody orgasms?
Speaker 4: Pray tell who?
Speaker 3: And Lee a shaker that we're going to get to in this podcast.
Speaker 2: That's right, because the leader of the Aggressive Christiani Emissions Training Corps modeled herself after Ann Lee, and you'll get to hear all about that.
Speaker 4: Shall we talk to Harrison. Let's do.
Speaker 2: Welcome Harrison Hill to trust me. Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me. I'm so looking forward to this conversation me too.
Speaker 2: Your writing is so literary and gripping for something that is journalism, like I feel like normally when I read a book about something from a journalistic point of view, it can be quite dry. Shouldn't say normally, Sometimes it can be quite dry. But it was so like gripping the way. You're really beautiful writer, So.
Speaker 4: I just want to say that, thank you.
Speaker 2: So the book I'm referring to is The Oracle's Daughter, The Rise and Fall of an American Cult, And so of course we must first ask you what drew you to this topic.
Speaker 1: The story began for me back in twenty eighteen actually, when my younger brother and his wife moved to an apartment in Brooklyn, New York, which is where I myself live, and their apartment flooded one day, and this woman across the hallway from them came by and was like, let me help clean up, and she did. And so in the weeks following that, they of course became friendly and you know, just got to know each other. And then eventually this woman revealed that she'd grown up in a cult and that it was a cult run by her mother, and they, of course, my brother and his wife were like, whoa, that's wild. We know somebody who's a writer who's always looking for interesting stories. We should introduce you to him. And that, of course was me and the woman, of course, was Sarah Green. So we had our first interview back in twenty nineteen. But yeah, it all began with a flood in an apartment.
Speaker 4: Whow kind of biblical?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly, very serendipitous way to get a story. All right, Well, talk to us about Lylah Green, who later became Deborah, but let's start with calling her Lilah because that was her birth name. Sure, what was her early life like? She was kind of an overachiever initially, right, and we're talking about the leader here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the group in question is a group called the Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corp. I mean, it's quite a mouthful. Whenever I say it, people's eyes kind of expand as it gets to the end of the phrase.
Speaker 2: The word aggressive, including that in the title is a bold move, right.
Speaker 1: It's not ambiguous what their vibe is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, anyways, the leaders of the group were these people Jim and Lylah Green and Lilah was really the kind of spiritual head of the group. She was the real person at the top. But before she was a cult leader, before she was you know, being tried for all these various horrific crimes. She just a young woman in West Sacramento, growing up in a very poor family. Her parents divorced when she was young. Her father was an alcoholic, her mom worked as an a as a she worked at an almond processing facility. You know, just a lot of poverty and difficulty in her early life. Her younger brother died when she was in her early twenties, and this for her was just this like incredibly cataclysmic event for her. She just was just completely thrown and up to that point she'd been something of a hippie and was like, I've got to start over, I've got to do something new, and so with them, and in practice for her was that she joined a back to the land commune called the Bear Tribe, which was located about an hour outside of Sacramento. This is in the early nineteen seventies. Sorry if I didn't mention that earlier. And yeah, she just fell in with these group of people doing all this wild stuff out in the woods.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pause you for a sec.
Speaker 4: Much time, a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean well, first of all, I just want to say, like she sounds like when she was in high school and before she joined the Bear tribe, which we need to do an episode on the Bear tribe.
Speaker 4: That was fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like she was a very I would imagine her going into woman's studies like the top of her class, like, yeah, the treasurer, like a type a personality.
Speaker 1: I mean she literally was the treasurer of her of maybe her junior high school class. That's very apt. Yeah, and she was this girl's vice president of her high school. She was a real achiever. I mean, she was a very very smart young woman who would read ed Girl and Poe to for her younger siblings. She's a beautiful writer in this kind of wild way. The mailings that she made in this in this cult were very well written, even though they were kind of insane.
Speaker 4: I didn't notice that. I was like, that's crazy, but it's well written. It's written. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she as a young woman, she you know, her mom is off working at this almond processing facility. Her dad is off somewhere else, and so she's responsible for taking care of the kids, and she was very diligent, very you know, type a as you were saying earlier, Megan. But she gets to college and then it's the late sixties, it's the early seven is she's sort of letting free, and so she had this real change in perspective, as a lot of young people at the time did. But for her, you know, she was just a woman who'd always felt things incredibly deeply. Whatever she was doing, she was doing to like the nth degree. And so when she was a kid, that meant she was being very accomplished in school. When she was a hippie, that meant she was being a full bore hippie. And when she was a cult leader, she was a.
Speaker 2: Full cult leader, committing to everything. Can you just talk a little bit about I mean, we obviously all know that a bunch of people joined Colts in the sixties and seventies, but do you talk a little bit about that era and how it connects to Christianity, because that's something we've talked about quite a bit on here, and how it seems so contradictory that they were so linked at that time, but yet they were right.
Speaker 1: Well, so, I mean the most I would story from a very big picture lens to say that, you know, as I'm sure many of your listeners know, like cults emerge often emerge out of periods of great transition or social instability. People are looking for security, They're looking for some kind of spiritual comfort. And if someone knocks on your door and they're like waving little flyers and your life is sort of unstable, you're much more likely to follow them, as did the connection with Christianity. Yeah, so the counterculture, it affected all parts of American society. It just seeped into every little nook and cranny, and American Christianity was not immune to that. There were parts of the Church that really took on a kind of hippyish sensibility, and in many ways sometimes it was kind of funny, Like I thought, there was one person who talked about how hippies would sort of coyly refer to this one versus it would quote Genesis and say, you know, Genesis says let the earth bring forth grass, and they would use that as a kind of justification for smoking marijuana. Or there was a bumper secure. I found where it turned the anti war slogan hell no we won't go. They turned it into a kind of proselytizing phrase. It would be hell question mark no we won't go. So some of it was really funny and some of it I think was really sincere and frankly kind of beautiful, because you know, American Christianity at the time had been i mean just a painted extremely broad strokes. There'd been you know, coming out of World War Two. People wanted stability, and American Christianity reflected that, and so the children of the people who had been in World War Two were really wanting something different, and in terms of Christianity, what they wanted was a more embodied, more emotionally connected kind of faith. What that meant was that in terms of doctrine things could get a little hazy. They weren't so focused on like exactly what is the theology. It was more about feeling. It was more about emotion.
Speaker 4: It was more vibes.
Speaker 1: It was more vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeahseduff was vibes and Christianity was vibes.
Speaker 3: But definitely like hippie bearer tribe pipe blind to Christianity is something That is so fascinating to me because it is sometimes a leap, but so many people were willing to take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So so many people went from free love to highly controlled Christian groups, which is really fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, to me, it's all kind of a different expression of the same impulse. Like, so I think that the basic kind of aquifer of all this is the same body of water. How it comes out is quite different and sometimes like dramatically different. But for people who feel things in an extreme way, they're looking for extreme expression.
Speaker 3: When they're at the Bear Tribe, A man named Jim comes along, and at the Bear Tribe they're kind of just out in the wilderness, like beaten drums pretending to be Native American, pretending to be Native American.
Speaker 4: And her I want to call her Lilah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're calling her Lila for now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jim and Lilah at first, are like they're not getting along.
Speaker 1: Well, Jim seemed.
Speaker 2: Crazy at first, right, Yeah, Jim seemed like he was going to be the one who was sending people off the loopy deep end.
Speaker 4: Yes, what changed?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What changed? Well, they would say that God intervened. I think what's also true is that Jim got very ill, which is, you know, for someone living in a back to land commune, is not exactly shocking. There's not a lot of sanitation that happens in a place like that. And so he came down with something perhaps hepatitis, and Lilah, who had previously been just like totally at odds with him because they were both very intense people and there was a kind of competition in their intensity. Anyways, he got sick and she felt called to sort of take care of him. She had previously stolen something from his tent and Jim had forgiven her and that had like warm some of the ice between them. But as a result of her taking care of him, she one night was called by God to go to his tepee and strip naked and give herself to him. And so as a result of that they were pretty permanently a couple since then.
Speaker 2: God definitely told her to do that, and then still are together to this day.
Speaker 3: Two things to that, I mean, one thing, when she stole food from Gem's tent, he didn't know it was her, and he beat the shit out of a one armed man that he thought did it. So we have a little bit of a look in god Gem's personality. And then number two she was topless a lot like this was a woman who was just like, I'll be topless.
Speaker 2: But again, and the setting is they are pretending to be tribal people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I found the period where they leave that particular group and before they start the cult interesting because it seems like their lives just get really small. And she starts kind of feeling crazy and stir crazy, trapped, and her response to feeling trapped was then to start having these sort of visions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the way began is that she started to feel called by God that he wanted her to start raising up an army, that the world was going to end soon, and that she needed to produce spiritual soldiers who would help hasten the end of the world. And so what that literally meant was she would become sort of she would feel the presence of God. She would get down on the floor, she would start moaning and grunting and screaming as if she were a woman in labor, and she would quote unquote give birth to spiritual soldiers, which you know, there was nothing there physically, but she said there were thousands of spirits that you know, over the years came out of her, and those spirits kind of went over the world and brought forth God's will, And so that was one of the first kind of rituals that she was engaged with. A very interesting thing about her is that sometimes people ask me, like, you know, how could she trick people into following her and all that kind of thing, and then but to her, I mean, my reading of it at least is that she wasn't tricking anybody. She sincerely believed what she was saying. This was a very heartfelt belief in her singular connection to God. And there's something about that makes it even more tragic to me that she it wasn't sort of nefarious in her own mind, In her ow mind, she was doing tremendous good.
Speaker 2: Right right as I was first reading the first scene sort of where you set up that she's having these spiritual births or whatever. Of course, the first image that came to my mind was the movie The Testament of Annlee. And like three pages later you start talking about ann Lee fascinating women, both of them and the connections between them are so fascinating. Can you, briefly, can you just tell us who Annlee is? Because a lot of people might not know absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd love to sort of go a little bit broader as well, if that's okay with you all, Yeah, just to sort of give a general sense of this book. This book is about this woman, Sarah, who escaped her mother Lyla's cult. It's also about the rise and fall of this cult, but it's also about much more than that. It's about American history and American religious history and how this one group kind of manifest and actors the kind of Petri dish. It showed the broader sweep of American religious history was kind of manifest in this group. And so for me, what was important in this telling the story was to make it clear that this isn't just a story of one group. It's about the US more broadly. And so you mentioned the Anlee and the Shakers. So this was this group of religious dissidents that came over from England in the late eighteenth century, and they they're one of the groups that's profiled in this book. I bring in sort of case studies of some kind of religious movements throughout the book to just sort of demonstrate how the cult in my book is in fact on this continuum that contains other cults or religious groups throughout American history, but the Shakers are an especially interesting example. And I'm sure many of your listeners and viewers saw the Testament of Anlely. I myself saw it. It's a very generally accurate rendering of this woman, Ann Lee's life. So Annlee was born in the eighteenth century. She had several children, who all of them died. She had a lot of really horrible experience with childbirth. As a young woman, she'd been able to see and perhaps even hear her parents as they were having sex in this sort of squalid shack where they lived. So the result of all of this, which was that she had a very she was very against sex, really, I mean sex was for her. There was just so much wrong with the world was manifest in sex. And so just to make it all summarize it much more cleanly, like, she founded this group, this group of people called the Shakers that would shake to manifest God's presence in their lives. And they were celibate, and they built a number of villages in America. And those villages have really dwindled since the nineteenth century for reasons I probably don't even have to explain, you know, if you're a celebrate, you're not having a lot of children, and.
Speaker 3: You might have been having a lot of spiritual children. Sure exactly, thank you, yes, very but yeah, but no, Lila, Lila in this group, she was she was sort of obsessed with Ann Lee. She became convinced that she herself was a kind of second coming of Anlee. I think that there was maybe an element of I mean, she was sort of like a fan, you know, she was like she was like an Ann Lee stand. She was like I love her, I love her, I love her. Vibe you and so yeah exactly. And so the group AGGRESSI Christianity Missions Training Corps. They would do these Shaker dances.
Speaker 1: And the Shaker rituals, and they even had a shake They had a restaurant for a little while they called Shaker Square. They made Shaker boxes and Shaker furniture and all that kind of stuff. They kind of left it behind somewhat after a kind of brief foray into it. But for me it was all part of this broader context, this idea that like this isn't just one group. This is a group that I always think of them as a kind of Forest Gump of American religious history. Like they there's an element of them that's always popping up, you know, we always see them in all these different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting you bringing up and Lee losing all those babies. Did Lilah's behavior begin to change after she lost her brother? Do we think that's a contributor to the shift?
Speaker 1: I mean, I obviously, obviously I can't speak for her, but as an outside of the observer observing her life, I mean absolutely I would say that I think that the loss of her brother was the I don't know, the kind of black hole of her life. Everything circled around that point of gravity.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating because so much of the time that type of loss can be anything that sends people into colds. But then the rare personality type is that's the thing that I guess leads them to start one. You gotta find meanings somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how did she trans She starts having these spiritual births and making these like big sounds and these big movements, and.
Speaker 3: You know, she's literally giving she's giving birth. Yeah, that's how I pictured it.
Speaker 1: Oh you should have seen me. You should see me when I was recording the audiobook. I was like, I feel like this's school. I'm like, I mean it was like wacky, that's great. So yes, by the audiobook and you can hear.
Speaker 2: Me which, by the way, she was very anti Christianity until she had this awakening. And yes, also fascinating and just another example of how like the beliefs actually don't really matter. It's more about what people are looking for in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of the question of being anti Christianity, to me is part of what's most fascinating about this group because they viewed themselves as one hundred percent Christians and regular Christians is what they call ten percent Christians. And their chief enemy was not just like the secular world. It was quote unquote mainstream Christians. Those were enemy number one because they were practicing faith, but they were doing it a kind of diluted right, fake way.
Speaker 3: I will bring that back to my growing up experience with the two by twos. The Christians who were not taking it as seriously as us were way more scary and harmful, very understandable that world.
Speaker 2: To me, the smaller the difference is, the more of that we hate them.
Speaker 1: Right, so true, so true?
Speaker 2: So how does this start to transition into her being like, no, I'm literally a prophet and people should follow me. Jim is just cool with it. Jim's like, yes you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Jim is a very interesting part of this because he was, you know, wild when he was in the bear tribe. He was you know, cutting his arms and raising his blood to the moon, you know, doing all these wild things. He converts with Liola Christianity and he really believes that she's a prophet too, and that belief is held so sincerely that he really kind of subjugates himself to her, you know, in a funny way. It's like very feminist marriage, a real really like a real expression of this kind of equality. I mean, that's part of what's so interesting about this group that there are elements of it that are like radical to the left and radical to the right, and it's all mashed up here. Anyways, he was just sort of following her and really believed her. And how did she become who she became from there? I mean, I think it's all just the sort of slow dialing up. If the death of her brother was the like I don't know, turning the record player on now, we're just like slowly turning the volume up. I think you know, she just kept on having visions, she kept having. She just got farther and farther away from the outside world, farther and farther from external perspectives you could push back against her, and so she was just sort of free to kind of riff on her own what I would call mania.
Speaker 3: And as you were saying earlier, the outside world is just serving her so many experiences that reflect back to her that she's on the right track. I feel like you are corrected as the forest gump of like everything kind of aligning and happening, and this interesting time frame, like right as she's amping all of this up, a volcano goes off and covers.
Speaker 4: The whole sky. It's raining ass, it's raining ash, it's dark. It's like a prophecy in the Bible is coming true. So like she is like I told you so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is Mount Saint Helens, which interrupted and I'm forgetting nineteen eighty eighty one, early nineteen eighties. Yeah, and so this is just as the ministry is sort of getting going and yeah, what is a what is a volcano if not evidence that you know Satan is on the move. And the demons are spewing outward. And that also has a really interesting parallel to the Shakers, where there was a wildfires in Canada caused the sky to go really dark at one point when the group was in its early years, and that, to an Lee, was the signal that they needed to take their message farther out into the world. So I love this idea that like the outside world, you can what do they say, you find what you're looking for. They're looking for signs and so they find them.
Speaker 3: It's so apt for today too, because I just saw something in social media a week ago where it was like the sky is black in a war zone when it should be sunny.
Speaker 4: This is a sign of the prophecy.
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, you just blew a sign of a war.
Speaker 4: You just blew it up. Yeah, there's dust everywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean, such is the nature of humanity.
Speaker 4: I hated so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will truly see whatever we were looking for.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, really shitty time for the volcano honestly, which it hadn't happened, because it seemed to really amp her family up to where they were like, she's real.
Speaker 1: I would say it was sort of a it was more a quarter of sort of whipping. They say correlation rather than causation. I think it was just sort of confirmation. It just was going on in the background. She wasn't like this volcano went off and like wow, next level, let's go. It was all just part of this intensification that was going on.
Speaker 2: How did they start actually gaining followers? That's always the part that's so interesting to me. I'm like, how are you marketing this to people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it just was like one by one. So the very first members were a man and a woman named Maura and Steve. Mora had been close friends with Lyla back around the time when Lila's brother died, and so they'd been they'd kind of bonded over the death of the brother. Mara had gone off and gotten married to this man, Steve, and after Jim and Lyla had got had converted, they'd gotten back in touch with more and that had led to the resuscitation of their friendship. Steve kind of had probably had a bit of a crush on Lila. I mean, Lilah. Both Lylah and Jim extraordinarily beautiful, physically beautiful. They just were very striking, and so I think that's actually part of their appeal. Well, so yeah, Steve has a bit of a crush on Leila maybe and more as a real secret type. And they sort of start going to these these ministry meetings that the Greens start having and it's just very very slow, just peop, you know, words, spreading a little bit by little bit. They got a radio show, they got a show on Christian radio, so some people came through that. They would put flyers around town, they would give people free meals. I mean, you're hungry and someone's saying, here, have some soup, and you know you can listen to the sermon. It's like, okay, well I won't listen to sermon. I'll have the soup. But then you know it's in the background. Okay, whatever, I'll come for dinner tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah. And it can really kind of build from there. I mean, I think it's sort of it's like the prototypical story of how people join this classes is just one by one, one by one, And a lot of people didn't say a lot of people were like, no, I don't want to beat my children. I don't think that's great. But others did. I mean she would the force of her charisma was so strong that she was able to really draw people in. I mean she was never the group was never more than like thirty f treaty fifty people max. It wasn't like hugely successful, right, but it was successful enough.
Speaker 2: But so many groups start out at that size and do balloon up like so, like, those early days are always super interesting to me. Some of the abuse stuff with the kids and with the adults that was surely not present in the beginning, right, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't say too much because the I hope people will check out the book, but a lot of unfolds from the stuff that we're talking about, which is really the beginnings. But yeah, the group, as you know, like shockingly, there were a lot of abuses that ended up happening in the later years of this story, and at the very beginning. No, there was no there are no whippings that kind of thing. But what there was was this general ethos of any relationship that is not oriented towards the group or towards Lyla and Jim, that relationship is evil, and that even extended to relationships between spouses and relationships between parents and children. So if you were, say a guy married to a woman in the group and you're you know, showing affection for your wife, you're saying, oh, let me get you another you know, baked potato at dinner. Whatever. That was evidence that you were guilty of what they called spiritual adultery in the group. You were cheating on God with your earthly husband. Same thing. If you were nice to your children, if you were saying, you know, here, let me let me comb your hair, no, no, you were guilty of spiritual adultery. You were cheating on God with your child.
Speaker 4: Horrible.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just speaks to how there's this weird sexual energy is really at the core of the group, largely because you know, it was just sort of like by crying sexuality, they were really focusing on it. It was part of what was so strange about it. But anyways, that's sort of where the abuse began. Yeah, start small and balloons from there.
Speaker 3: So the spiritual affair is like you're supposed to be partnered with God and that's your outlet for everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Like when people are married to Jesus. That kind of vime.
Speaker 1: I think it's sort of yeah, sort of, it's hard to kind of pin down, because I think it was hard for them to pin down.
Speaker 4: You know, some of these groups.
Speaker 1: You're kind of like, I think I know what you're saying, but like what she was saying was always kind of more thing, and it was always sort of what this was. The convenient thing about being a prophet is that you can always get new information correct, you can pivot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when did she pivot into being Deborah?
Speaker 1: So yeah, So this is a big event in the book, which is sort of a kind of culmination of those early years and before things really explode. She decreed that some of her followers should take new names, as people in the Bible did, as people in just culture have often done, sometimes to indicate a huge change or growth in someone's lives. Lilah says, you know, we need biblical names, we need new names that indicate we are reborn. And some of the people took new names. Some of the people didn't. But Lilah took the name Deborah, who's a female prophet from the Old Testament, and from then on she was known as Deborah.
Speaker 2: Which is so funny to me because Deborah just seems like the lady at the pot luck next door, whereas Lilah feels very like beautiful and biblical.
Speaker 4: I'm like, who chooses Debbie?
Speaker 1: It's funny, you say Debbie. She never she never went by Debbie. It's funny. I never thought of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just I assume all Deborah's are Debbie is.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, it's funny. I like the name Deborah.
Speaker 4: I like Debbie, but Lilah is like such a dope.
Speaker 2: Name Lyla feels more mythical to me somehow, it is a little mythical, yeah, versus like grounded in like Suburbia. But interesting that for her it was like she was like, and now I am Deborah the Lord.
Speaker 1: Yes, wild stuff.
Speaker 2: And at that point they also changed the name of the group.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: At this point originally had it had been called Free Love Ministries, and then they were like, nope, now we are the Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corps.
Speaker 2: So there, from Free Love to Aggressive Training Corps is wild C MTC. You got it, that's it a CMDC of course. Yeah, I love ACMTC.
Speaker 4: Gotta go join it.
Speaker 2: So basically, over time, things just start getting weirder and more controlling, and she gets fixated on getting children. Can you explain this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she Lilah slash Deborah, now we're going to refer to her as Debra. She really predicted that there was going to be this thing called the Children of Nations, and it was going to be this huge group of children who are going to be soldiers on behalf of the group, and they were going to kind of be this children's army. And the problem was that they needed to get children. And so there were people in the group, women who had children, but they weren't having them at the rate that Deborah wanted them to have, and so she, according to one of the members in the group, she directed this woman to effectively try and kidnap a baby from the Mexico border. By this point, the group had fled to New Mexico because they'd run into all these legal troubles that you can read a out of the book. But this alleged kidnapping did not come to pass. But what it did lead to was a just truly truly shocking act of child trafficking that I'll sort of speak about in kind of vague terms. But what happened was that Deborah was so insistent on not only having children, but having children from all over the world that she and the group conducted all these mission trips abroad, and some of that was about children, but some of that was just about spreading God's word. But when the group was in Uganda at one point, because they took mission trips all over the world, they got in touch with a woman who was pregnant and you know, long story short, the baby that the woman was going to have, I'll just say that the baby ended up having a kind of lifelong association with the group in a way that unfolded in a way that was kind of to me, just mind.
Speaker 2: Blowing, truly horrendous, Like what was described in the book what happened.
Speaker 4: To that child is truly like it's tragic.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's totally tragic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the group escalates in other ways as well, like it seems like people weren't really seeking medical treatment for a lot of things.
Speaker 4: And this ends and disaster and a part of your book.
Speaker 3: And again we won't give too much away, but what other ways were they just kind of accelerating.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean it was accelerating is the right word. It just built and built and built. So yes, medical treatment, they were really against medicine. A lot of people were denied were allegedly denied medication, and you know, after surgeries, they didn't get pain medication, horrible things like that. They were also they didn't get enough food. They were just always hungry. They're reading a largely vegan diet by the time, by you know, the two thousands or so, just like alfal fatigue and okra and you know, peanut butter and so on, and then just the I mean, there's all sorts of like sort of physical things, like they're working harder, they're sleeping less. There the punishments are more and more intense.
Speaker 2: The punishments were so bad.
Speaker 1: They're rough, They're pretty rough, like medieval medieval, Yeah, I should remember that word. That's the right word. But I think the biggest kind of acceleration is there was a tolerance for this, is that people were so embedded in it that it became just so difficult for them to see that it was bad. And to me, that's sort of chilling because a lot of these people were pretty normal people and in a lot of ways, and these are people who I got to know in the course of my reporting, and they struck me as totally normal in many ways. I mean, none of us are like quote unquote normal, but like, these are people who now live regular lives and such. But when they were in this group, they were party to or witnessed things that just kind of blow your mind. So I think that is the biggest acceleration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that process is slow and happens step by step, and one thing is normalized and then the next thing is normalized and it doesn't look that crazy compared to the previous thing, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, it never happens overnight, which I think, right, it's important to note about groups like this, Yeah, for sure, but yeah, some of the abuses were truly terrible.
Speaker 4: Were they wearing a uniform towards the end of.
Speaker 1: This Yeah they were. They were wearing military uniforms. A lot of the time. They had a couple of different uniforms. I mean, I'll just say, there's like a big arrest at the end of the book. And at the time of the arrest, I mean I looked at the police footage, Deborah is wearing this wild outfit. It's this kind of in a weird way, kind of stunning white military get up where she has a long, a long skirt, kind of buttoned down white white jacket and a beret. I mean, I'll actually tell your listeners. So this book began as an article I wrote for The cut Back in twenty twenty one. And if your readers want to look up that article, they can see.
Speaker 4: Oh see the photo.
Speaker 3: I want to see it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh my god, Okay, why does she look like Vader Ginsburg.
Speaker 1: And she hates Ruth Badergans work with different politics, very different. I mean they would show up at the Undershriff's office near their near their compound in just like complete head to toe, perfectly ironed, spotless military uniforms. They instructed the under sheriffs. They were like, you know, you will, you will address us as generals and we will blah blah blah blah blah. Wow. And so there was this real I mean again, it's like there's a confidence. It's like you can't make up, you can't fake that kind of confidence. I don't think. I think it's a confidence born out of a deeply deep conviction of certainty.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, And so Sarah throughout the book, So Sarah is Deborah's daughter. Yeah, I find her pathory interesting because these are her parents, This is her whole life.
Speaker 4: This is her community.
Speaker 2: It's always interesting to me how people who are that deeply in the thick of the cult are able to get out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, that's sort of the central miracle of the book in my opinion. So the book is called The Oracle's Daughter, and the daughter in question is this woman, Sarah So. Sarah's parents were Jim and Lila Slash Deborah. She was a young kid when her mom started having visions, which is to say that she knew something of the real world before everything started to kind of fall apart, and I think that that was essential in her being able to imagine a life outside of the group. I think if she'd been born in it, it would have been another story, because then it's like, you have you've never gone to the park, you've never gone to the movies, you've never had like Lomain. You know, you've never you've never done the things. Yeah right, she likes Lomaine. That's why it came to mind, she yeah. So, I think that was a big part of how she was able to able to escape, because the book does open with her escaping in the middle of the night when she's twenty six years old, running away in the middle of the New Mexico desert. It's a wild moment. She does manage to get out, but she knew something of what she was missing. I also think it was just a question of character. It's like some of us are one way and some of us are another way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Some of us are good at basketball, some of us are good at knitting. You know, Like she just happened to be really good at holding onto a part of herself that a lot of people gave away. And because she never because she never chose to join the group, she was always a little There was always a little bit of resistance.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: If she had been like, oh, yes, I want to go in, I think that there would have been maybe less resistance. But because she never chose, she just just roped in. She was able to hold onto a little something else. I mean, there's more to it, but that's some of the stuff i'd mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true we rebel against our parents, and that makes sense. And also I forgot that she actually was not born into it, that she witnessed the beginning of her mother having these spiritual bursts and being like, why is my mom making these crazy sounds in the basement that I used to play, and like I can imagine that would be a very jarring transition.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, and an upsetting one because she had friends. I mean, this is a woman who's just as an extraordinary zest for life. And I think that's part of why I wanted to write about her, is that she's just an incredible person. And so she Yeah, she wanted to go to school, she wanted to take history class, she wanted to go play with her friends. I mean she actually ran away from home for one night when she was a teenager and tried to enroll herself in high school. She missed that world so badly.
Speaker 2: There's a moment in the book where you write about how there's someone who kind of becomes a whistleblower, but then it's like that person is kind of discredited, but they are ordered to produce like twelve children.
Speaker 4: Yes, and they just don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But what's fascinating to us we were talking about earlier, is like the justice system just was like oh whatever, Like they was like a wake up. There was a post wag thing going on again.
Speaker 3: The like outside world events are kind of protecting them in real time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the fact that the abuse of children was allowed to go on as long as it did under the circumstances in which it progressed were to me. I mean, that's the thing that makes your head explode. I hope reading it, and certainly made my head explode while I was reporting and writing it. As to the Waco stuff, Yeah, I mean, so, you know, the Waco disaster happens in the mid nineties, and law enforcement afterwards is kind of understandably spooked. They don't want to interfere with religious groups who were maybe a little bit different and have something bad happen and then be called in front of Congress to testify and get raked.
Speaker 2: Over the coals because all those people were killed in Waco by the authorities because this cult showdown for youngsters who don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you said something in your book I'd never read before that one of the agents when they were going to Waco to bust it up, one of the agents had like golf plans that afternoon.
Speaker 4: They were like, this will be easy, and it was not. So this man thought he was going to golf.
Speaker 3: Fifty one days later, they have basically burned down people inside of a house and everyone's mad at them and they don't want anything like that to happen again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, and they're like, I don't want to be the one in trouble for no, no killing the people Nicole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a there's a part of that impulse that I really respect, you know. I think that like freedom of religion is at the core of the idea of this country, and it is something that I think is like a very good thing. But the underbelly of it is that like the American justice system, to my eye at least, just feels really reluctant to interfere when religion is a is a factor. And so for ACMTC, that meant that they were really able to function even when all this evidence came up, they were able to kind of continue operating. And yes, the thing again, the thing that just blows my mind is that like they were they were ordered to bring the children into the authorities at least one moment throughout the story didn't and then law enforcement kind of moved on.
Speaker 4: They're like, well, they're probably fine, Like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There's there's like a there's a phrase at the end of one of the documents I found that says like, you know, the investigation was closed because they were unable to locate the children, and it's like, yeah, that's the problem.
Speaker 4: Right, No exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean, you know, it's like very limited resources. This is big, open, wide spaces. It's tough.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: But I also think you know that failure led to extraordinary suffering.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never heard of this group and the same. It is so fascinating.
Speaker 3: I mean it covers every single thing we see in Culled to the ultimate degree. We've got death, destruction, abuse, some quirk cases, all of it, and a female leader. Yeah, and she really really turns into something quite monstrous. Yeah, it's very interesting to watch somebody go from a hippie too a profit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an abusive, destructive, controlling profit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: How many people were you able to actually speak to from the group?
Speaker 1: All total, I spoke to about there were about two hundred interviews that I did over the personal researching this book. What was nice also is that, like, even aside from the interviews, is that I had access to a lot of huge troes of documents, and so this group, as I mentioned, ran into a lot of legal trouble, and so there was a lot of stuff that former members or current members were required to say under oath, and so I got a bunch of people that way. The group documented its activities quite extensively, and so I was able to love it when they do people's perspective from that, I know, it's very helpful. I mean, it's very very helpful for a reporter to be able to do that. But there was like a group of five or so former members who were for me, the kind of core crew. There were others I spoke with, but it was a pretty contained group that were I like, you know, week by week sources.
Speaker 2: There is a woman in the book Maura, who underwent such intense punishment, isolation, separation from her children, humiliation, ritual, like just every freakin' thing.
Speaker 3: I you know, they started giving them names like the people who are being punished like forsaken, Barren de spies, You're.
Speaker 2: Now called despised. Imagine your new name is despised like.
Speaker 3: And they're being accused of things like spiritual adultery or whatever crime the only Deborah can see because she's the prophet.
Speaker 2: And spiritual adultery is literally like being nice to someone yeah. Yeah, Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's wild. It's just wild. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It seems to have a lot of really kind, wonderful people in it and to see them all get wrapped up and this is hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the point of them being kind of wonderful, Like, I just couldn't agree with you more. And that was actually something Part of what I really enjoyed about this book is that, you know, getting to know people, getting you know, any repertorial job is interesting because you get to meet people that you would never otherwise get to meet. But these folks, you know, they've been through something really rough, and they were often, by definition, people who were looking for something beautiful and meaningful in their lives. And so if they managed to get out, I think a lot of them still hold on to that sense of trying to find and make something beautiful. And so when I'd speak to them, I'd just be really moved by by that impulse. And Yeah, a strange kind of and beautiful kind of intimacy grows out of that connection, for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are they okay?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Are people okay?
Speaker 1: I think I think they're sort of like provisional okays. I think they're okay. In the way that they're okay in like a real world kind of way. They you know, some parts of life are great and some parts of life are hard. I mean, I think that's true of anybody obviously, no matter they were in a culture not I'll speak specifically of Sarah because the book is mostly like her journey growing up in the group, escaping and starting over is like the narrative is the central narrative thread for the book, and so she has really managed to rebuild a life, a new life on the outside of ACMTC. She's still you know, she went through an extraordinary amount of trauma and so that's very much still with her, but she's really found very healthy ways to deal with it. Something I find really extraordinary is that she's just a huge runner. She's run like, I don't know, a couple dozen marathons or something. She's running one in London coming up, I think, and amazing, and so it's a really important way for her to just pound it out, you know. And she also was able to start a new family, and I think that you know, she got married and she had some kids and they're just sort of have allowed her to find meaning and beauty and all of that and then to other people. Yeah, it's people find their way to various degrees, and I think most of them. I mean, all the people I spoke to were together enough that they were able to talk to me about their experiences. So there's a bit of a sort of self selection thing going on there. But like I do want to offer like a little bit of hope more than a little bit I hope. You know, the book is talks about some really wild things that happened, but there is this element of like, you know, you see people with extraordinary resilience pushing through, managing to start over, And to me, it's just like endlessly inspiring. When I get really stuck in my own way of thinking about things and thinking you can't break out of something, you know, I think like, well it would be much heart Like what I'm stuck in is a lot easier to get out of than like what Sarah or Mora was stuck in, you know. And it's very inspiring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, true, And Mara had a big win.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are big wins for survivors in this book, which wins is really so great to read because that is not always the case.
Speaker 1: Sure, And you know, I I do honestly hope that my book can be a win for them. You know, I think that it's important to me that you know, like you're saying, this group has not been covered. I mean, I've basically written everything about this group that's been out there, and that was part of why I wanted to write the book, was because it was like, I feel like I'm like sort of breaking news. But I hope that the book can feel like a kind of you know, a two hundred and eighty page meaning making device, you know, taking things that happened that were really tough and making hopefully something beautiful out of them. And that can also be like just like literally useful to someone who's trying to deal with extremism in their own life.
Speaker 3: You can textualize it in a way that makes it both micro and macro at the same time, and you know, you can really see how we got here, how we can get out of here, and it's just it's a great book.
Speaker 1: Oh great.
Speaker 2: And my final question is, do you think we are entering a new age of cults?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, the question. I mean, I guess, like from a historical point of view, like it would be like a categorical yes, because I think that this is a period of tremendous instability with political, environmental, economic, sociop I mean, like every possible way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What that means with the Internet, I think is a really interesting question because to me, like the idea of a cult is really defined by like physical isolation, but with the Internet you can have a kind of isolation that's physically diffuse. You know, people are not literally next to each other, but they are in a kind of cultish relationship with each other. I don't think that to me that would quite qualify as a cult, but I think that there's maybe a tremendous amount of Internet based cultishness going on, and I can't see it changing a lot. I certainly hope it does. Yeah, Yeah, I'm curious what would you all.
Speaker 2: Say, yes, billion, I mean, because many of those online cults do then become physical cults, and right, of course, yeah, even the online ones often impact people the exisact same way as the real life. Once it's not like there's a distinction in our brains. Once we have accepted that somebody is the ultimate authority over our lives and we have to listen to them, it's kind of it's kind of irrelevant whether we're physically next to them or not. I mean, a lot of our guests never met their leader of their groups, you know what I mean, but they still.
Speaker 4: You know, there's nothing to do with their devotion meeting the person, yes matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, it can like be a thing that really like pulls you in or whatever. But like there were so many children of got outposts where nobody ever met.
Speaker 3: That dude, so many people who just saw them on screens or like heard their boy yeah, yeah, yeah. It's it's crazy and every group, every group that I'm looking at right now, whether it's like a pilates class, is getting so much crazier where it's really yes, yes, yes, because everybody feels so insecure and everywhere all feels so out of We're so out of control that it's like, this is.
Speaker 4: My Monday night pilates class, and we all better be here.
Speaker 3: Because we have to be together because like it's just really yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, strange times, strange times we all want to feel in control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't have to be a bad thing either. That's sort of the kind of most interesting part of this to me is that like Platti's cross could be like really lovely and maybe you have like a really wonderful community. It's only when it kind of tips into something differently that it becomes destructive.
Speaker 4: No, no, so far, so good.
Speaker 2: But you know, like, although we've heard about a lot of yoga classes that did not go well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah great. I can't wait to see which cults come up next. Oh boy, yeah, where can people find you?
Speaker 1: They can find me on Instagram at one Harrison Hill. So that's at the number one. H A R R I S O N H I L L TikTok is the same and the book title. The book title is The Oracle's Daughter. The Rise and Fall of an American Cult comes out April seventh from Scribner, and hopefully it's got a little something for everybody in there.
Speaker 3: I think it sure does. It's a fascinating book. Thank you for writing, Thank you for being a guest. All right, and there we have it with Harrison. Go check out his book, Megan. We have two cults to ask about right now. The first one is, of course, the Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corps. Thoughts couldn't last an hour, I guess I could last two hours if I got to watch her do a spiritual birth.
Speaker 2: I think the spiritual birth would be very compelling for a day for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: However, you did mention the original group that Leilah aka Debora was a part of in the beginning, which is the bear tribe, and how you would maybe like that one get me.
Speaker 4: To the bear tribe.
Speaker 3: Yesterday a lot of hot people cause playing as nature people. It almost sounds like a reality show like Love Island or something.
Speaker 4: Doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's a little because it was just hot young people like pretending to be native a bear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that part not so much. But I will say you guys.
Speaker 3: To live like that, never waste any part of an animal, be close to nature. Although I don't like camping, So who the fuck am I to say any of this? I don't know shit about shit. I wouldn't join the bear tribe, I know. I'm like, could I actually picture you living off the land?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No. I think I could picture you on like a beautiful Joshua tree home where you step.
Speaker 4: Outside once in a whole. Yeah, like once a day.
Speaker 3: I'd go outside and and be like I am one with you, and then I'd go back into the air conditioner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so Yeah. I feel that I'm.
Speaker 3: Having delusions of me being in the Bear tribe. It's absolutely false. I'm so sorry we wasted all of your time and me figuring out in real time.
Speaker 4: That I wouldn't join either of these groups. But you'd visit for a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, I'd visited any cult for a day. I would visit any cult for day. We need to go do we need to go do that? We need to go do an investigative undercover thing. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 4: You can wear a mustache, okay, and I'll wear a hat. Okay.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening to another episode of Trust Me. We appreciate and love you so much. Rate us five stars if you feel the same way, and as always, remember to follow your gut, watch out for red flags, and never ever trust me.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production hosted by me Lola.
Speaker 4: Blanc and me Megan Elizabeth. Our senior producer is Gee Holley.
Speaker 2: This episode was mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 3: Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain, and our guest booker is Patrick Kottner.
Speaker 2: Our theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 3: Trust Me as executive produced by Karen Kilgareth Georgia Hartstark, and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me podcast or on TikTok at trust Me coult Podcast.
Speaker 3: Got your own story about cults, extreme belief our manipulation, Shoot us an email at trustmepodat gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Listen to trust Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.