Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dutton, Sarah Burnette, missus Ridiculous Crime.
Speaker 3: It's miss sorry, I'm a modern woman.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous Crime. Yeah, got a question for.
Speaker 3: You, Yes, Captain Ridiculous Crime.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's ridiculous?
Speaker 3: I do big birthdays.
Speaker 2: Big birthdays.
Speaker 3: Big birthdays are ridiculous because it's funny. Like we've talked before about that in this Ridiculous Crime universe. The difference in how we celebrate birthdays, said your big birthday guy, and I am. I've forgotten my own birthday on.
Speaker 2: Multiple multiple.
Speaker 3: However, I want to celebrate other people's birthdays. Oh okay, I like to celebrate yours.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: I like to celebrate our founding fathers various birthdays.
Speaker 2: It is true. Big holidays got the time off, so why not.
Speaker 3: Then I found out about a big birthday for a friend of the show birthday, big birthday baby. A friend of the show, you may remember her summer sent us that or probably actually I should say, sent me the black garlic dog. Yes, said the proper it was. It was an interesting taste sensation, and I did kind of like rubbing it on my teeth. And then showing you you didn't like that. I liked it anyway.
Speaker 2: So I was.
Speaker 3: Kaya Summer's sister. Let us know that on July twenty ninth, Summer is turning thirty. What And I can't believe that. God, Summer is like, Summer's a friend of the show.
Speaker 2: Totally happy birthday, Summer.
Speaker 3: And I you know, for friends of the show, I like to give them a big, rousing happy birthday. No, and so I mean I do have the I have limits.
Speaker 2: You saw my instinct. I'm like, we're doing a musical number.
Speaker 3: Well, I think people need to know that. I've heard you. You call people on their birthdays and you sing a very robust and enthusiastic Frank Sinatra day.
Speaker 2: Late Frank Late do be Dooby do exactly late, Strangers.
Speaker 3: In the Night, and it's so loud. I've been in the studio waiting for you, and I hear you down in the hall. What the h double hockey sticks? So Summer you are going to miss out on that. But I just want to also, I want to thank you once again for the garlic dip and wish you the best thirtieth birthday around. Someday I'm going to turn thirty, and I hope it's great.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday.
Speaker 3: And that is ridiculous, ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's else's ridiculous, Elizabeth?
Speaker 3: Tell me?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll have to ask you a question. What's the most ridiculous thing a person could blow up to advance a political cause?
Speaker 3: Oh, don't answer that.
Speaker 2: I'll just ask you a better question. How about a nuclear reactor? Oh?
Speaker 3: I was going like farm antals.
Speaker 2: This is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Oh, Elizabeth, Today I have the story for you of a man who went to ridiculous lengths for a cause he believed in. And since I don't want you to worry, I'll just tell you going in our ninety nine percent murder free guarantees, still stands no violations of the guarantee in this episode. Oh yes, just tell you that right out the front.
Speaker 3: Thank goodness.
Speaker 2: Now, to set the stage, I'd like to quote the timeless words of Pee Wee Herman. Yeah, I'm a loner, Dottie Reberend.
Speaker 3: You know I say that all the time.
Speaker 2: For you specifically, this is a story of a loner, a rebel, and I love him nice. But more than that, it's the story of a dope, smoking, bike riding, commune living hippie who tries to blow up a nuclear reactor in order to free black South Africans from apartheid. So obviously I double.
Speaker 3: Love it is there it is. Oh my god, he checks all your boxes.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. So Elizabeth, what do you know about the South African nuclear energy program?
Speaker 3: Well, it's really interesting because it started. Why are you laughing at me?
Speaker 2: I was just waiting at you know what?
Speaker 3: Fine? Oh, I don't know. Zaren Man explained it to me.
Speaker 2: Well, it happens to have been in the news a lot lately if you followed that sort of thing. On July sixteenth of this very year, Elizabeth, the British tabloid The Mirror reported that, and I quote, a South African nuclear power plant suffered three incidents involving airborne radioactive contamination after a loss of power. The three separate contamination events took place inside the Coburg Power Station, the only nuclear power station in Africa, on June thirtieth, July second, and July seventh.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's exactly what I was about to tell you.
Speaker 2: I figured, well, naturally, the words airborne radioactive contamination sound bad.
Speaker 3: It does sound bad because they are bad. Yeah, they're bad.
Speaker 2: They're bad business right now, as the Mirror further reported. To help ameliorate any concern from the general public, and I quote, South Africa's nuclear regulator said Thursday that no radioactive material leaked into the environment on the three occasions and it was all contained inside the station with no danger to the public. So that's good. Yeah, there's no need for anyone to take a karen silkwood shower woo. Right, that's the term you don't hear very often.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A friend of mine was just recently saying that he uses that reference a couple times a year and people don't know what it is. Really was like, are you kidding me, I'm always talking about silkwood showers.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where I pulled it from. I heard you use it recently with one of the interns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the one there. I'm like, you smell. Now, I'm gonna have to go give you a silkwood shower. No, not a human in turn.
Speaker 2: Anyway, back to South Africa Nuclear Energy program. In the nineteen fifties, South Africa sent young scientists to the United States to study nuclear physics and nuclear energy. Two decades later, in nineteen seventies, that same generation of scientists now led South Africa's pursuit of its own nuclear energy ambitions, which included building a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So the South African government, they promised that they didn't want to build nuclear weapons for war. No, South Africa wanted to build nuclear bombs that were to be used in their mining operations. You know, all the diamond minds.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? That's a great way. Yeah, that's perfect way to do it.
Speaker 2: Are you having troubled digging deeper open pits in the earth to mine your diamonds? Have you considered a nuclear bomb?
Speaker 3: That's so bizarre?
Speaker 2: Yes, obviously, I think that was just what they call in the fiction telling business, a lie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's definitely, that's that's a lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a copper story, right. So, the South Africa government really wanted to build nuclear weapons to fend off the Soviet Union and to scare them off from further helping the black South Africans and the African National Congress aka the ANC who were trying to overthrow apartheid South Africa's.
Speaker 3: Government Soviet support.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, Zimbabwe did as well. Basically a lot of the they were moving down the continent and Soviets were helping them. So there's a fight over Angola. Na, maybe a South Africa is encroaching, Zimbabwe is fighting. The Cubans are getting involved in Angola. It was like a wild business and it.
Speaker 3: Hits the economic interests of Western Europe.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely, yeah, exactly. So now enter our crimer of the day, Rodney Wilkinson.
Speaker 3: Rodney.
Speaker 2: Rodney's a curious chap Elizabeth, to say the least, like homie was once the national fencing champion of South Africa. Okay, but we were getting ahead of ourselves. As Rodney tells his own life story and an interview with South Africahistory dot Org and I quote so I was born in forty nine in Parktown, North Joe burg. I was the second son of four of us. My father was born in Canada, also a soldier in the artillery in the Second World War, and that influenced our childhood quite a lot because we would go on holiday with his old soldier friends so we learned to shoot at a tender age and we learned to drive. Life in joe Burgh for us was a typically white middle class Yeah. So you notice I'm not doing any South African accent because it's not what I can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's a tough one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's very specific. Now back to Rodney. He grows up in this apartheid South Africa. It's a middle class existence. He's raised in a military family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: However, things are far more complicated than that little thumbnail sketch might suggest, because, for instance, his father was a Communist. Huh, not when Rodney knew him as his father, but rather back when his father was a college student. Except for then of Stalin's whole wave of purges, the mass imprisonment, the lives lost, his dad soured on Communism. However, he still believed in looking out for others in community, so he taught his children those same values. Anyway, Rodney gets into fencing as a kid, and as he tells it, I was nine when I got into fencing. A friend of my brother had Austrian friends who were fencers, very good, and my brother went along. And when I turned nine, my mom said you go along two. They taught us free on condition that we came twice a week. So by the time I was sixteen, I was doing very well, and by the time I was twenty three, I was winning. And eventually I won all three weapons, almost second in Sable, but top in Foyle and EPI so boom boom boom National champion. Now as good as Rodney was with a sword in his hand, he couldn't compete at the Olympics because he's South African and at the time, the apartheid state was banned from international competitions. Yeah right, and so Rodney eventually he follows his father in a military service, but he has a hard time in the army because he supports the anti war movement and the hippies in the US and abroad, and this friction compels Rodney to go a wall. Yeah, but then he gets lured back to the military because the military locates him and they threatened him to prison unless he rejoins his division, which eventually does. Anyway, one night, Rodney and his mates in the army they steal a Mercedes Benz troop carrier and he takes it on a beer run, after which they all you know, turn up drunk at the airport and they're all headed home except for Rodney. He's not flying out, so he decides, I'm just going to keep the military personnel carrier and go a wall again. Why not? A right? So, as Rodney tells it, I decided to take the truck and drive it till it ran out of fuel and then hitchhike.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: I love that, right, simple plan. Not many were moving parts.
Speaker 3: Till the wheels come off, Just do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean it's a solid plan in theory. But then again, driving drunk alone in the bush in the dark of night, but you can probably see where this is going. Rodney gets tired. Eventually he falls asleep driving and boom, he wrecks. Back to Rodney's account, as I drove about midnight, I fell asleep at the wheel and turned this thing over right upside down, head over heels over a culvert. I injured myself severely. I had a hole in my forehead about an inch deep.
Speaker 3: Oh that's an injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seemed your brain that's a big yeah. But it's actually way worse than it sounds. Rodney recalls, I broke my skull and I was pinned underneath the vehicle upside down, with the steering wheel in my chest and feet up in the pedal well, hot oils pouring out of the engine onto me. Yeah. So he's stuck there alone with his heavy ass military truck on top of him, leaking hot oil onto him, and Rodney has to do what he has to do. He has to rescue himself, which he does as he remembered it. Quote, he managed to wear the ground away with my shoulders and got out before it possibly exploded and didn't explode. I walked till dawn and found a farmhouse. So imagine you're this farmer in the middle of nowhere and the skinny army kid comes to your door at the crack of dawn and he's in bad shape, like he's got motor oil sticking to burnt skin. Yeah, and he's like, use your phone. So, as Rodney tells it, I was covered in blood. The farmer called the cops and made me sit outside until they arrived. He gave me coffee. We were not the first, judging by the reaction of the farmer. It happened before, and he was hundreds of kilometers south of the action. Now, when Rodney says action, he means the illegal invasion of neighboring Angola by the South African Army, because this accident was bad news because if Prescott wind of it, it would have been evidence of South Africa's illegal military recursion. Okay, okay, right, So the army they make Rodney promise he won't talk to the press, and then they make him sign a document that says he won't sue the army for his injuries, and then they basically release him. So around this time, Rodney leaves the Army. He goes to live in Cape Town. He becomes a fencing instructor. This is also where he meets a guy who tells him about this hippie commune. So then Rodney jumps at the idea of living there. And while he's living there, one of his fencing students tells him about a new opportunity Rodney might also be down to do. And as Rodney tells it, and I quote one of my fencing pupils, Dennis Penaluna, and a pub claimed to be a communist, and he thought that the way to provoke the revolution was to behave like the oppressor and suggested I contact his friend who was an in engineer at Cobourg for a job.
Speaker 3: I love all these commies and defensing right is that.
Speaker 2: He's like, you should get a job at the nuclear facility. By the way, I'm going to be late to practice on Wednesday. So when he's in college, Rodney had studied engineering, so he was qualified to be a draftsman on this construction crew. And lo and behold, I got the job. So this sets up his next adventure as an undercover revolutionary in a nuclear power plant.
Speaker 3: That's safe, right, super safe?
Speaker 2: So for now, elizabethill, let's take a break and after these messages, we joined the revolution.
Speaker 4: Oh and we're back, Elizabeth, Yes we are.
Speaker 2: You're ready to join the revolution? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where were we? That's right. It's the late nineteen seventies and my man Rodney Wilkinson is living on a commune while working at a nuclear power plant, about to become an undercover operative for the anti apartheid resistance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, he's a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, late nineteen seventies. Buttons, if he was like saving whales, I think he would cover the mall.
Speaker 3: Oh he would, but instead he's on God did he wear his little Beekeeper outfit.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be awesome. Like at work skin Tech. I've got a match at nine tonight.
Speaker 3: So I got to I gotta stay ready, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: The Cobourg Nuclear Power Station is located about nineteen miles north of Cape Town. At the time, it was not yet operational. It was under construction and it was scheduled to come online soon. Right. So, as a guardian described it, quote, Coburg was the crown jewel of the apartheid state's energy program. Proof of civilization, symbol of technological superiority, monument to permanence in a state built on forced labor. Yeah, and thus it was also a prize target for the rebels who opposed apartheid rule.
Speaker 3: Well, and I questioned any monument to permanence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that does he hear God laughing? Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Back to Rodney. While living at the hippie commune, Rodney, who was about twenty nine years old at the time, he falls for this young woman named Heather Gray. As they say, they fall in love. They begin spending all their time together. Their hobbies included organic farming, fencing, dope smoking, and plotting the downfall of the apartheid government.
Speaker 3: That's a cute. That's a meat cute, right, that is.
Speaker 2: Totally you can see the potential. I can see the poster for the rom com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So after Rodney gets a job at the Coburg Nuclear plant, he works there for eighteen months and his girlfriend Heather suggests that since he's a draftsman for the construction, he should, you know, steal the blueprints or like maybe like a wiring schematic and then you know, they could use those.
Speaker 3: It'd be amazing, thank you.
Speaker 2: Rodney does exactly that.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: And as he tells it, there was this really fat catalog book that identified all the rooms of the nuclear power plant, all the wiring and the conduits. So he steals that. At first he actually has a guy copy it, and then he takes that right.
Speaker 3: But like that's the thing, like could you copy this for me? He's why you don't ask questions. It's a little above your pay grade, dude, make the copy, basically what he does, and then he has it like tucked under his shirt and he's.
Speaker 2: Acting doing like the Napoleon pose with his hands in his shirt. So at this point he and Heather they sneak into Zimbabwe and they try to smuggle these plants to a n C operatives that they know, and their arrival of course catches the attention of a zimbabwe And spy. So this guy, Jeremy Brickhill, he was a fellow white rebel. He was also working against the apartheid South African governments. Because Brickhill he had deserted from the Rhodesian Army to enlist with the Gorilla Zimbabwean Army. So he becomes then the director of ZEBRA, which is like the armed wing of the Zimbabwean Liberation Army. So he becomes like a high muckety mucky in the rebel army. And so as he's essentially the spy master, right, So as the spy master, Brickhill has this network of spies working for him. One of his mini spies tells him about this hippie couple who've just shown up in Zimbabwe and they claim they have blueprints for South Africa's new nuclear power plant and they want to hand them over to the A and C. Brick Hill says, I want to meet these hippies for myself, right exactly, No this point, it's early on in nineteen eighty one in brick Hill. He gets invited to a party at the home where one of his spies is hosting Rodney and Heather. They're staying with the spy. He pretends to be just another party guest, so the clock keeps going. The parties to rocking, and they run out of beer, right, so brick Hill suggests, let's make a beer run and he asks Rodney to drive you and me brother. Now, once they're out on the road alone in the bush in the dark, brick Hill confesses that he is an officer of the Zimbabwe and Liberation Forces. He knows about the blueprints for the South African nuclear power plan, and he wants to know who the hell Rodney is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So keep in mind Rodney has been partying, so he's drunk. He now has a spy master a grilling him, and when brick Hill starts questioning him, Rodney wrongly assumes that the spy master is accusing him of being a spy for South Africa, which he may or may not, I think.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's probably thinking, are you trying to set us up with this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly so, because it's just the story is too good to be true. He's also former military for South Africa. You know he's.
Speaker 3: Right there. I wouldn't trust it him thinking he's put wrong information in this book to set us up.
Speaker 2: That's a good read.
Speaker 3: You can't trust anyone, Sarin.
Speaker 2: No, you and I both say that all the time for each other.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: We don't even trust her anybody.
Speaker 3: I say it all the time because it's true.
Speaker 2: Well, at this point Rodney, he gets pissed. He says he's no spy for those apartheid pigs, and then he steers the car off the bush road and he aims the car to tree and he shouts, you don't believe me, I'm gonna kill us both.
Speaker 3: He's like, I have been in a gnarly accident and I lived. I'll try try it again. I'll do anything twice roll them.
Speaker 2: So, of course Rodney doesn't really want to kill them both, so eventually slams on the brakes and the cars like screeches to a halt and it stops just short of the tree. Like Rodney you.
Speaker 3: Wild, wow his city. The hole in his head was a buzzy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting the field.
Speaker 3: I wanted a friend, so.
Speaker 2: The spymaster Brickhill. He recalled that moment for the Guardian and he said, I kind of broke the ice. I said something like, welcome to the struggle, comrade. Now let's just go and buy a beer.
Speaker 3: That's a great icebreaker. Next time I met like some sort of like conference meeting, like let's do an icebreak, and like, everybody, get in the car.
Speaker 2: You don't believe me, I'm gonna kill us all. Come. So Rodney's willingness to die and take Brickhill with him proves himself that it convinces brick Hill that Rodney is indeed down for the cause. Yeah, so brick Hill tells the Guardian later on years later, he was obviously crazy, but he was also genuine. So now Rodney is officially a rebel spy. And although Rodney has previously been in, as they said, the South African Army, he still needs raining as a guerrilla fighter. So brick Hill has him and had there both go through months of training and spycraft and basic gorilla tactics, and they both learn about secret communication and how to resist interrogation, how to perform like counter surveillance, how to escape and evade, all the stuff you'd imagine, just total spy school, and if necessary, how to.
Speaker 3: Kill okay during these.
Speaker 2: About that, so brick Hill he earns Rodney's trust also during the same time, such that Rodney eventually hands over the soul and blueprints because so far they've only said we have so he now hands them over and then he doesn't hear anything back from brick Hill for months. He always get what they want, then get their fingers on them blueprints. As Rodney tells it, he disappeared with it for about four months, and then the startup date for Coburg was getting closer, and I thought, at least they'd speak to me if something was going to happen. So I raised the alarm with Jeremy to say, if they're gonna do something has to happen now, because that startup date was I think in like October of eighty two.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, let me know if you're going to do something, so I call in right get out of here now.
Speaker 2: The reason why Jeremy Brickhill had gone radio silent was he'd sent the blueprints to the Soviets to confirm they were ruined dear gun, and then they had the East German nuclear scientists to corroborate, which they do, and then the Soviets confirmed, Okay, the plans are legit. After that, the A and C rebels decide, okay, we can fully trust this bike ridingp smoking, commune twelling, white hippie kid who teaches fencing with all of our rebel you know, plants and leaders, because like he could be the risk that breaks down the whole thing. Right, So they tell Rodney, okay, you're our new undercover operative.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, they're not just like shipping this DHL putting it right. So they've got like Alexi, like in a fur hat, who's taking it from one place to the next.
Speaker 2: You follow these blueprints, you can get a huge network of you follow.
Speaker 3: The blueprints on the map, and it looks like the Lost Artanes probably more like family circus. Yes, And that kid goes all, yeah, that's why, that's what's going on in my head.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's perfect. So once the the ANC rebels tell Rodney he's going to be their man, they also tell him he's going to be the one to carry out the planned attack. Oh yeah, Roddy didn't expect that. He's like, here's the plan. Do you guys tell me when not to show up to work? They're like, no, we got you one better. Brother.
Speaker 3: That's my least favorite thing is because like I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of an idea factory. Yes, you are really good at coming up with ideas, but I'm really good at coming up with ideas that other people.
Speaker 2: Should I should have to complete.
Speaker 3: And I hate when I come up with a brilliant idea and then it's like, go ahead and do it, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: No completion.
Speaker 3: No, that's not ww it works. I am the oracle on the top of the hill you listen me to. But anyway, that's I feel him, I relate. I'm figuring this is a very relatable connect with fencing exactly, driving cars into ditches, you.
Speaker 2: Know, threatening Zimbabwe and spy master, I'm gonna take you with me. So at this point, Rodney's super reluctant to blow up a nuclear power plant and all by himself as his first mission as a spy. But Rodney eventually agrees. He's like, you know what I thought about it, I'm going to do it. Has taught me how to focus and to react, That's really what he says. He's like, oh, fencing taught me how to handle this. Moment. So next day, okay, time for you to meet your handler. So in August of eighty one, the spy Master Brickell invites Rodney to swing by his house and that's where he meets Mac Maharaj. Now Mac is this veteran undercover operative. He would be like, when they make the movie of this great part, you know you could get an oscar, right, Oh, I.
Speaker 3: Look forward to your casting. At the end of this conversation, Oh I wish, oh see, maybe I can come up with something.
Speaker 2: So Mike Maharaj, he's a brit and he'd been born in Newcastle. His parents were both Indian, and Mack had joined up with the anti apartheid rebels way back in the early sixties. He gets subsequently arrested and sixty four for sabotage. He ends up doing a twelve year sentence on Robin Island, oh, which, as you know, the infamous South African prison where Nelson Mandela is locked out. So Mac, he's deep in the game. Like, in fact, he's deeper than deep because when Mac Maharaj gets released from Robin Island, he's the man who sneaks out Nelson Mandela's autobiography that he's secretly written in prison, like super tiny script hidden into like books and spines of stuff. Yeah. So Mac is deeply committed to the struggle. Yeah, and he's proven it right, like I mean veteran and so he's trusted by the utmost authority in the ANC, Nelson Mandela. And naturally Mac also harbors his own suspicions about this white hippie kid with the stolen nuclear secret. So it also seems too good to be true. So the kid also he's former South African military. This really sticks in the car at he teaches fencing for a living. Who teaches fencing for a living?
Speaker 3: A good question?
Speaker 2: So Mac he started, He's like, only vet this Rodney. So he asked Rodney about the scar on his forehead. He's like, deep scar, you got go on, what's up with that?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: Rodney tells him about the military vehicle that nearly killed him, and then Rodney's whole story of surviving his own stupidity and then also crawling out from under the truck with the burning oil. It impresses Macmaharaj. He's like, that's some rebel action right there. Or, as Mack later told The Guardian, all that background suggested that there was a person from a privileged community, but quite a person to do things his own way, not to be bound by rules created by the system. Right. So Mac also ascertains that Rodney is the perfect undercover operative. As Mac puts it, he was a daggas smoke, a hippie, a commune living guy. And I can see he is one loose cannon. But this is the guy. He has left no trail, he's got no political background, so you can send him back.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, Elizabeth, there's two things in there that I loved. One Dagga is a South African slang for pot. That, yeah, I love. I love learning new terms for drugs. And then also he's one loose cannon.
Speaker 3: That's also this guy is like not only his handler, but he's like the serge in the station.
Speaker 2: Yes, the police captain, bagine your gun.
Speaker 3: You're you're a real cowboy.
Speaker 2: So at this point Mac he's an astute judge of character, and Mac concludes that Heather Gray, the girlfriend, will be integral to this secret operation. She'd already been deeply involved in the anti Vietnam War movement. She'd taken part in the sixty eight student revolts back in the UK, and her commitment to the anti apartheid movement came first before his, and it seemed far more unwavering, even though she's not steering cars into trees like she's a Really.
Speaker 3: That wasn't in pursuit of a cause, No, no nerve foolishness.
Speaker 2: So macmrage also senses that out of the two of them, Heather is definitely going to be the stronger operative as a spy and working to together. Though they would be the perfect team for this operation, however, they still plan to have it be Rodney who alone will plant the bombs that they all hope will blow up the nuclear power plant. Yeah, Elizabeth, you may be thinking, why does the ANC trust Rodney with this really high stakes operation?
Speaker 3: I am thinking I'm wondering that, right, It's a great question.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The reason why the rebels decide to not only trust Rodney to carry off this important mission, but they think he has a better chance of success than any of their team of trained rebels for one simple reason. Rodney is white.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's I think no one will.
Speaker 2: Watch him suspiciously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, he gets away with whatever.
Speaker 2: As the Guardian summarized it, and I quote the value of an operative who could re enter the plant with a face that looked like it belonged there was greater than any unit cutting through a fence from outside. Why send a unit when you already had a ghost?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: After they spend eighteen months in Zimbabwe learning to be rebels and saboteurs and going through spy training while pretending that they're basically like on a holiday, like enjoying safaris and whatnot, Rodney and had their return to South Africa. Now they're ready to carry out their secret mission. And now we should also kind of bring up any moral question raised by what they plan to do, Like they plan to blow up a nuclear facility. Sure, is that really the right thing to do? Is that putting people at health risk?
Speaker 3: And you know, I yeah, I'm really struck as you're telling the story about these are people who could just go and live their lives and have privilege, you know, yeah, they're middle class, they wouldn't have to yeah, doing whatever they want, and they could teach fencing anywhere. And you see these people that have a conviction so strong for the welfare and the liberation of other.
Speaker 2: Others not themselves.
Speaker 3: That's really incredible, you know, so that you have high high stakes for this, but they're more concerned with ending exploitation of people and resources and they can't just id lee by. And I applaud that because I think most of us, you know, we can complain about things, and we can say things are terrible, but how.
Speaker 2: Many of us are willing to go blow up a new lie when it comes.
Speaker 3: Down to it. Yeah, you're gonna do it. And like, you know, and I think too that you know, I don't want anyone to be killed or suffered.
Speaker 2: No, no, obviously.
Speaker 3: But you know, things are different in certain situations.
Speaker 2: In wartime, you raise interest, it raises different questions than it really does Monday to Sunday lifetime.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 2: As Rodney he recalled in an interview his interview with South Africanhistory dot org about like these moral questions, and he said, worried me was Heather and I getting caught, of course killing people by accident. We tried not to kill anybody. Civilians shouldn't die. They are not the military or police. But this had been thoroughly discussed with the ANC. So they're like, look, I'm a rebel dotty, I gotta go through with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Rodney and the rebels from the ANC, they don't want there to be any possible nuclear disaster once they hit the power plant, and they don't want victims of their violence, which means they can't hit the facility once the nuclear fuel rods are in place.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very tight timeline of when they can blow up the Coburg nuclear facility. And at this point Rodney's given a new handler, a man who will guide him through these final key steps of their plan sabotage. His handler is a young Muslim man from an Indian township just outside of Johannesburg or joe Burg. The twenty seven year old science graduate's name is Abu Bakar Ishmael and his code name is Rashid'll be calling him Rashid. The Guardian described him as quiet, methodical and obsessive about detail. So what Rodney recalls of his new handler was quote, Rashid was different from Mac, much more cautious and not so bubbly. But he helped a hell of a lot. The job couldn't have happened without him.
Speaker 3: Don't think you really want bubbly at that stage, right want, I want steely, meticulous focus.
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes of how have you been in the.
Speaker 3: Beginning like getting distracted and telling silly stories.
Speaker 2: So ristied, he helped Rodney with the intangibles of their operation. As Rodney tells it, we started off with the security issues, the moral issues, and the need for a legend, a cover, going through extensively how to relate with family and friends. First of all, excuses of why we were going back to South Africa. I use the excuse that I couldn't pay maintenance for my daughter with Zimbabwean currency. There was a clampdown on exporting of currency which convinced most people. So they use the instability of Zimbabwean money as their cover for all their strange trips and back and forth over the border. In June of eighty two, Rodney goes back to South Africa and he waits for the right moment to now sabotage of the nuclear power plant that he's gone back to working for. Yeah, importantly, he goes back to the power plant on the six month contract, so he has an end date that he has to also get all this done by because he's also going to be part of this manic rush to finish construction, so there's gonna be all this buzzing about, so he'll be very trusted as well. So he really should work as long as they hit the timelines. Yeah, So the South African government they need all the help they can get to finish their timeline because the power plan is being hyped in the local news. They're all excited about international news. It's gonna be the first in Africa, and so hitting the construction deadline is now like a point of pride and also propaganda. Meanwhile, Rodney he updates his handler Rashid on the nuclear power plants progress and the success of his cover story. As Rodney tells it, by the middle of June eighty two, I was back in Cape Town the second meeting with Rashid the first weekend in July. I reported that I was due to start work at Coburg and that so far the legend and cover we had discussed at the previous meeting was holding up. So he's getting good at the spycraft.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For the next few months, Rodney, Heather and Rashid they continue playing their little cloak and dagger games, and as they work in preparation for this ultra top secret spy guy operation, Rodney would typically meet or contact Rashid while he's in Mozambique and outside of the surveillance of the South African spies. Now, as The Guardian reported, when he needed to reach Rashid and Mozambique, he sent a telegram disguised as a horse racing bet. They had assigned numbers to each location inside the plant, so a message about backing number three was really a message about a reactor. They went through everything, targets, escape routes. How Wilkinson and Gray were holding up under the strain.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Now when he says strain, Rodney was going through it as a spy and saboteur. Yeah, Rodney tells the Guardy. And he was like usually pretty much just terrified, And he said often I had serious doubts and a paralyzing weakness and fear. I started to hallucinate, almost suspecting I was being followed. So as this deadline's drawing nearer and near, this team of amateur saboteurs, they're prepping their final plans. It's November of eighty two. They meet with Rashid for the final time. He gives them a map that shows where his men have hidden four limpet minds given to the anc rebels by the Soviet Union, and Rodney reads the map, he memorizes it and then he eats the map.
Speaker 3: Oh talking real spy, Yeah, seriously.
Speaker 2: Once they believe they aren't being followed, he and Heather they drive out into the desert. They retrieve the four mines. They use the memorized map they easily locate them. Then they secret them away in like these wine boxes they have in the back of their car, and they figure no one's going to look under the wine and it works. They make it back home at the police searching or finding any minds. Once home, they assemble the mines and they bury them then on a beach just south of the Cobourg Nuclear power plant where they can easily get to them, and then they wait for the fateful day to come. At this point, anxiously waiting, Heather secretly reaches out to Jeremy Brickhill, the zimbabwe And spymaster. She uses, like all their spy training to contact them. She tells him she's worried about Rodney. Remember I said he's going through it. Yeah, Well, apparently he's been drinking heavily. He's now acting erratically. He's talking too much, like the people that can overhear what he's saying. They're arguing at the grocery store. She thinks he might blow it all before they blow up all the new powerplant. Brick Hill says, Okay, I'll get back to you. And so he checks with the ANC and if it starts to see if another team can be deployed for this mission. They n c tell him nope, has to be Rodney, yeah. So then brick Hill contacts Heathany tells her has to be Rodney, yeah. And so in case though, he's like, you know, in case he blows it all up, why don't you come to Zimbabwe and you can lay low with me and the others. And so Heather takes off for Zimbabwe. She leaves Rodney alone to fa. So now it's Rodney or bust. He's cracking up and the date's quickly coming. Elizabeth, let's check the vibe here for a second. My man Rodney is drinking too much, talking to himself, acting erradically, so much so that his girlfriend and partner has to flee the country for her own safety and for the safety of all the rebels who he can name or contact. Right, So let's just say the mood is tense a little bit, all right, So let's take a little break, listen to some ads, and then when we're back, we'll see if Rodney can make it to Kaboom. Back in two and.
Speaker 6: Two and we're back, Eliza, we are back.
Speaker 2: Now, before we get back into it, I need to ask you another question. Yeah, what do you know about limpet minds?
Speaker 3: Limpet minds?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know anything until I looked this up.
Speaker 3: Well, all right, so here's the thing about Olympic mind You go in huh yeah, and it's full of olympus.
Speaker 2: I knew you would know, so yeah, so let's back up. What do you know about limpets?
Speaker 3: So olympit is a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, it's the only thing. It's not like an idea or mind. It's also olymp It is also a type of aquatic snail, so it's well known for its super strong foot what.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know how.
Speaker 2: It is with snails, right, It's all about the question of how strong is your foot?
Speaker 3: Sure? I mean that's for anybody, honestly, not just in the snail world. But I think I was thinking it sounded like an animal. But if it's a mine, I was like, all right, so Elizabeth's it's it's probably like a stone. So it's not it's a snail.
Speaker 2: It's a snail. And limp its are like muscles or barnacles, like they attach themselves to underwater structures. Yeah, they're difficult as how to pry off once they're stuck. So the foot is how olympet applies suction to whatever surface they're attached to. But they also have this super sticky adhesive that Olympic secretes it doesn't matter, but this is his is really extra suction. So the reason I bring this all up is that's where the limpet mind gets its nickname. Mine's an explosive. You stick to the thing you want to blow up.
Speaker 3: I'm quick, I can pick these things.
Speaker 2: I had to looked through all this.
Speaker 3: Up limpet mind.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting, all my World War two stuff. This didn't come from it. Like I said, it's a sticky bomb, right, So no, they're not particularly big, these limpet mine. So imagine like an explosive that's about the size of, say, like a bottle of liquor, not a flask, but like a bottle, and instead of a sticky, mucous covered foot like a true limpet Olympic mine has a super strong magnet that it uses to stick to iron, so you to steal, yeah, or nickel plated this.
Speaker 3: They love magnet.
Speaker 2: They did, you called it magnet love. So this is where the limpet mind gets tricky though. The limpet mind that Rodney is given by the NC has a timed fuse, which means he trips a switch, he pulls a pin and that starts this countdown and once the clock strike zero, kaboomah. But once that pin is pulled, there's no turning back. And that's not the tricky part. The tricky part is the timers, aka the fuse. They're known to be faulty, which means sometimes the explosive can just blow up real quick, like while you're still placing it, like right in your face.
Speaker 3: So I love that we just keep using these things. It's known to be faulty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're like, look, we've got a lot of people in Russia. That's not our problem. Getting the bomb there is set. So this particular limpet mind, Rodney is given by the nc Rebels, as you pointed out, was given to them by the Soviets. And the Soviets also they made this limpet mind packed with this extra special chemical called thermite.
Speaker 3: Oh that doesn't sound Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, for those unfamiliar with nine to eleven conspiracies, thermite is an incendiary mixture that can cut through steel beams any heavy steel construction. You got, that's where you heard it, Yeah, the arm, river tank or nuclear power facilities. Yeah, so I don't know, I don't need to tell you this. Yeah, but thermite is a mixture of iron oxide and aluminum powder. So together, when ignited, the mixture burns at about twenty two hundred degrees celsius or about four thousand degrees fahrenheit.
Speaker 3: It's hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you pour water on it, on burning thermite, the water doesn't put it out. Instead, it makes a thermite burn hotter. It's like thank you for the fuel, right, Yeah, water makes thermite stronger. So long story short, you really really don't ever ever want to be around where thermite is burning because you're in a bag of water.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Basically, So, the Soviets, as I said, they've packed these limpet nines with thermite, and like I'm talking like a Thanksgiving turkey, so you could not get any more thermite in there, right, And then they got this tricky fuse you're supposed to pull, and we've got Rodney, the amateur saboteur.
Speaker 3: Who's like hearing voices.
Speaker 2: In the morning. Yeah. So the main reason the anti rebels want all this thermite was that the explosions of these limpet minds would spread fire through the whole nuclear reactor facility, and then the thermite would ignite and burn the wires. Then now all of a sudden, you got like a network of flames and burn down the whole facility.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So at this point, uh, based on the study of the blueprints of the nuclear reactor, Rodney's handler Rashid, decides Rodney should place one limpet mine on each of the two nuclear reactors and then attach the other two limpet mines under each of the control rooms for the nuclear reactors. Okay, right, because that's where all the wires are. You got all these like cables and wiring and condos.
Speaker 3: That's where Homer Simpson sits.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so under Homer's desk. So hopefully this thermite then spreads fire burns down everything. So the fuses for the limpet minds are set for twenty four hours, so that gives Rodney time to get free of the buildings if it doesn't blow up in it.
Speaker 3: Say, twenty four hours to get out of the building.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he knows it's also he sets on like a Friday don't will be in the building working. But he's also slow and exactly he's like, what was I trying to do? Where's my pen? So Rodney, he's supposed to place them, come back, arm them, pulling the pins with the four mines while not getting caught. That's the plan. Sneak in, place them, then sneak back to them, pull the pins whenever you want at go time, and boom boom boom, next day kaboom. So, Elizabeth, if you were to lay odds on my man, amateur spy guy, Rodney Wilkinson pulling off his plandestine operation, what are the odds you've given? Not good bub I'm giving them seven to three against.
Speaker 3: Against.
Speaker 2: If you got ten chances seven.
Speaker 3: Times, it ain't that happens.
Speaker 2: Of course, you have to understand I know some things you don't know, like all the numerous layers of security that stand between Rodney and him pulling off this operation.
Speaker 3: This isn't just like an empty construction he can just stroll on through.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not just like steel superstructured let me just call him. No, this is a you know, at least in terms of security, operational nuclear facility. So they got all that you would expect. Like, so when he drives up to the Coburg, the nuclear facility in his car for work, there's always a vehicle search standard operating.
Speaker 3: Procedure like the mirror.
Speaker 2: Sick totally you've driven onto a military base.
Speaker 3: I see I have.
Speaker 2: So once he parks his car, then he has to walk to the complex. He has to pass through a pedestrian security checkpoint gate one that has both a guard and a guard dog. Right, So if Rodney gets through those two layers of security, he still has to manage to sneak the four limpet mines into the building. And then keep in mind they're the size of a bottle of liquor, so he's trying to smuggle it in basically four full sized bottles of Jack Daniels. And if he pulls that off and smuggles the mines into the building, The third layer of security is the changing room, because that's where all the workers and the nuclear facility people. They undress stripped down to their birthday suits and then put on these like a you know paper coveralls, like you know tiex suit that everyone wears at the nuclear reactor complex. Sow are you going to stick a Jack Daniel's bottle in the UK? You couldn't put that in a body hole like that. So to sneak the limpet mines into the facility, Rodney brings them hidden into his car one at a time. He creates the smuggler's gap behind the dashboard of his renault. He sneaks the first limp and mine into the facility on a Saturday. The date is December eleventh. South African government is obviously behind schedule and construction because they wanted to be done by October. So but like the Death Star, it's almost fully operational. So Rodney he takes the limpet mind to his office. He locks it in his desk drawer.
Speaker 3: Success, so he got it through in front of it.
Speaker 2: No, no, that's between his desk and going into the nuclear reactor. So he gets through the gate where they check the car. Then he gets through the gate where you walk in.
Speaker 7: He gets to his office and then puts it in his desk and sticks it on the exactly so yeah, so basically typically, like for instance, on Monday, the following Monday, he pulls the same move.
Speaker 2: I'll walk you through it. He hides the limpet mine in the smuggler's gap of the dashboard of his car. Once he parks his car, he transfers the limp and mind to his shoulder bag. Then he walks to his office where he transfers that mind to his desk drawer locks it. He does the same thing on Tuesday, December fourteenth. Now he only has one more limpant mind to go. But on Wednesday he wakes up he's got a bad feeling. Yeah, bad, bad field, bad juju, Elizabeth. Fives are off. So Rodney doesn't bring a limp and mind to work that day. No, bring your mind to work that day. The next day, Thursday, December sixteenth, which coincidentally is a national Africaner holiday, the day of the vow. I know that you get curious about these things. I looked it up, Elizabeth. It marks the day back in December of eighteen thirty eight when four hundred and seventy four voor Trekkers were engaged in the Battle of Blood River and they were losing like badly. They were vastly outnumbered by Zulu warriors, like sixteen thousand to four hundred and sixty four. Yeah, and so they make this vow to God, if the Almighty will save their like lily white behind they fur, will forever keep this day holy. They say, this is our new Sabbath, an annual day of remembrance of God and how He spared us and from I guess, I'm like dying and going to heaven. Look, it's not my holiday. I don't get all the particulars. But now it's not even a holiday anymore because nineteen ninety four, after apart I had ended, they're like, we're renaming that. That's now a day of reconciliation. Yeah. Yeah, he change the holiday. It's very Romans anyway. On that day, Rodney, he smuggles in the fourth final limpet mine and locks it in his office drawer. Now he just needs to place them inside the nuclear reactor fit part of the facility. Yeah, and then he has to come back and arm them all. Boom boombo. Yeah, and not have them explode in his face.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: So for one of the nuclear reactors, Reactor one, Rodney has a bit of a challenge. He can't sneak the mind through the changing room before he walks to the reactor. So he has to place the mine in this gap in like a tunnel where the conduits pass through the wall, and then he'll have to retrieve the mind from the other side. I see, right, So that adds a layer of complication and risks. Right. So, now, first to get any of these mines from his office desk drawer into the nuclear facility, as I said, they got to pass through the pedestrian security checkpoints that are everywhere. Then he's got to get you know, past the guard the guard dog. Then he's got to get the limpet mind, which is under his shirt and he's just holding it snug against his body with his belt and to keep it from falling, he'll walk around with his hands in his pants pockets, sort of like holding the mind from below. And that's like his best plan. He's like, I just gripped yeah, exactly, So now, Elizabeth, what sort of hats are we laying the man Roddy pulls off this operation.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's getting worse, climbing right nine to one against now exactly okay, But as a counterpoint, you do have to always remember what Han Solo once said, never tell me the odds.
Speaker 3: Oh he always said, I know that one too.
Speaker 2: So the big day comes Friday, December seventeenth, nineteen eighty two. My man Rodney doesn't chicken out. He drives to work in is Rayo, he parks. He doesn't have to sneak a limp and mine into work that day because they're already all set, ready to be smuggled into the nuclear reactor and attached magnetically. Now today's the day. But rather than me tell you about Elizabeth, close your eyes. I want you to pick're it. It's Friday, December seventeenth, nineteen eighty two, the day you've dreamed of it, trained for. It's finally here. It's also your last day of work at the Coburg Nuclear Facility. Because you are Rodney Wilkinson. At the moment you're sitting at your desk psyching yourself up. Everything will go find, Everything will go find, you tell yourself on repeat, but your stomach doesn't seem to believe you. The butterflies in your gut are doing the rumba. You take a calming breath and then slide open your desk drawer. You take out a limpet mine. You push back your desk drawer and stand up. You secret the limpet mine against your stomach and then tighten the belt to make it secure to go time. With your hands dug into your pockets, you walk down the hallway, the one that leads from your office to the nuclear reactors. You see the pedestrian checkpoint ahead of you. You've waited for the lull at the end of the guard shift, hoping he might be a little less attentive, perhaps even a bit drowsy. Meanwhile, the rhythm of your nervous steps is all that you focus on. At the guard house, the guard barely looks up, and the guard dog does the same. He gives you a quick once over, and then the guard dog looks away. You must pass through the security checkpoint on the other side. You let out a sigh of relief. You continue onto the nuclear facility. You've memorized the blueprints so you know exactly where to go and how to get there again, the rhythm of your footfalls calms your racing mind. You go into the dressing room. No one is around. You quickly strip down, hiding the limpet Mind and your clothing. You pull on your protective coveralls, and then you hide the limpet mine underneath bet for there you walk into the section of the facility that houses the nuclear reactors. A few workers buzz about, You give friendly nods and continue on your way. Once you're convinced no one is watching you or can see you, you tuck away and crawl under the control room for reactor too. You pull out the limpet Mind, You attach it with the powerful magnet. You place it among the cables that run underneath the control room. One mindset, three to go. For the next hour, you repeat those same steps. You walk back to your desk. You hide the limp mine on your person. Then you walk through the pedestrian security checkpoint, pass the guard and the guard dog. No reaction from either one. Then you change into coverall. You smuggle olymp mind into the nuclear reactor facility, and you carefully place each one magnetically. The dog never ever moves, the guard never looks twice. No one ever stops you. No one asks you a single question, No one is suspicious of your repeated trips into the high security area that houses the nuclear reactors. There's just the sounds of your footfalls there to calm your mind. When it's time to place the last of the four limpit minds, you collect the one you already tucked away and hidden the gap of the conduit. It's there you secret that last mine on your person and you head for reactor number one. This time a guard gives you the once over, and he doesn't look away. Instead, he eyes you warily. He seems suspicious, so you pause, You pat yourself down and like you've forgotten something, and you tell him you'll be back in a half hour. Turn around and walk back the other direction, But once out of sight, you change your path and head over to reactor number two. There you place the final mind. With all the minds placed, you head back to your office. Once safely inside, you pull out your lunch and you eat it, or you try to eat it. You take mindless bites. This is purely a cover more spycraft, because you're not done after lunch. You immediately need to go back and pull the pins to sets of fuses for all four limpid minds, and sometime after lunch you decide it's go time. You repeat the same steps. You walk back into the nuclear facility, pass the guard the guard dog. Once inside, you retrace your steps and go back to each mine. You're half certain someone will catch you, but you go anyway. At the first mind, your hands shake, your breathing is ragged rough. You recall how the A and C Rebels warned you that with limpet mines, there's always that risk that when you pull the pin, the chemical fuse will missfire and set off the mine right in your face. You calm yourself with a few short, even breaths, and then you pull the pin of the fuse. Nothing happens. Now three more minds to go. With each mind, you repeat the same little ritual. If you call me breasts, you close your eyes, you pull the pin. The fuse of the second mind works. You walk over to the third mind, pull the pin. That fusee also work. Same for the fourth. You're still alive and still in one piece. You turn and walk out. This time, your footfalls feel joyous. They feel like liberation. You walk back to your office whistling and wait for the end of the day. Since it's your last day at work. Someone invites you to join your workmates for a farewell drink, and you accept. Just after five pm when you shift in, you walk out of the Coburg Nuclear Facility for the last time, and later at the pub you raise your glass and offer a cheer to your workmates. No one has any idea which you're really drinking too, but you do. You've done it, So there you go, Elizabeth, my man, Rodney came through. So now as long as the minds go off, yea solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So well, Rodney's raising his glass, bending the elbow with his work friends. He plays it super cool. When asked what's next for him, Rodney tells his buddies he's going off to see his girlfriend. He's going back home to England. Naturally that's a lie, yeah, because you know Heather is actually laying low with ANC rebels and members of the Zimbabwe and Liberation Force.
Speaker 3: You can't really explain that part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds weird. So where's your girlfriend? Oh? Man? I told you about long story. Anyway, His work friends cheer for Rodney's final day and they're for theirs and they wish him well and his travels back to jolly old England and to see Heather. After a few work beers, Rodney hops on his bicycle and rides out of town. He go rides to his friend's house and she then drives him to the Cape Town International Airport with the bike in the back of her car. Because that's Rodney's luggage. Yes, nice, he's got like that in like a rucksack. So Rodney asks his friend to get rid of his work boots and his coveralls. He's like, I'm pretty certain I left princes where like they were implanted the mines. Yeah, and I don't want to connect you to what I did. So she's like, I'll get rid of the boots and the coveralls. Yeah, no questions asked. So in Johannesburg, once he lands, his sister picks him up and puts the bike in the back of her car. And then once they're alone in the car, Rodney just breaks. He starts crying. His sister seeing him, crist she starts crying. She asked what he's done? What's the matter. Rodney says he can't tell her what he's done. She asked, did you kill someone? He's like, no, no, I don't think so. Yeah, He's like, I don't think so and she's like, uh wait, wait what you did? Is it crime or is it politics? Because she knows her brother. Yeah, and he tells his sister it was politics. So she's like, okay, I'm okay with it. They both grow quiet. She starts the car. They drive to the border of Swaziland now a Swatini. So, after serious effort, they find some barbed wire fencing that is the border between the two countries. His sister drops him off, and Rodney crosses the border through like a hole in the barbed wire fence with his little bike. He lays down in a stream, fully clothed, as like the locals laugh at this crazy white man floating in the water, fully dressed, and he's just like, I made it. Oh, thank good. Is the relief he's feeling.
Speaker 3: Sure, all that adrenaline war off and then right, I like the thing is it's political? Well yeah, it's also crime. Run That's okay.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that's okay. Now. The next day, Saturday, December eighteenth, Rodney hops on a bus travels to his pickup point, the place where his handle or Rashid said someone would grab him and bring him in. When he gets there, he's using their like coated system for phone calls and no one comes to get him. Oh, as Rodney told The Guardian, poy did I wait? I was pissed off.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: After some difficulty with the phone due to the fact that like a payphone ringing in Mozambique sounds nearly the same as like the busy tone in South Africa, Rodney finally gets it sorted out. He talks to Rashid and then he tells him where he is and to send someone to get him. Right. I'm nervous, I'm alone, Like, you got to send somebody. I think people are following me. Rashid is like like the He's like the wolf in pulp fiction. He's like, I got that handled right. So meanwhile, that same Saturday, back at the Coburg Nuclear facility, the first mine explodes at three twenty three pm, the next limp at mine explodes at eight forty pm, the third mine goes off at eleven twenty four pm, and the fourth and final mind explodes at two fifty three am on Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: Oh those are long.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the fuses were all jacked up. They were not consistent at all. They're all supposed to be pretty much the same. Anyway, all four mines they go off after hours, will know what is there working?
Speaker 3: Three o'clock? What time do they get off work?
Speaker 2: No one gets hurt. Oh they they're really leaving like at five pm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but did you say the first one is at like three pm.
Speaker 2: Three twenty three pm on a Saturday.
Speaker 3: Oh on a set.
Speaker 2: No one's working on Saturday. Okay, got it. So no one's working there on the weekend. Even they're on like a construction rush. They're like, you stuken Saturdays and Sundays off and we don't have the second crew. So the nuclear reactors, well you know at this point you're gonna need two new nuclear reactors. Yeah, they've destroyed them. Right, the third mite did the trick?
Speaker 3: Wow? Really right? Not becase we were betting against him.
Speaker 2: I know he pulls it off, so not bad through pot smoking, bike riding, commune living, fencing instructor turned international spy guy. So what happens after the bombs go a boom? Great question.
Speaker 3: It's like I destroyed power station and then his friends are like, so that's why Robert Palmer went solo. I have been sitting on the line for so long since she started talking about power station.
Speaker 2: It's just being it was really good.
Speaker 3: I feel like Rodney the release like the so I have to go floating the river.
Speaker 2: On Sunday, December nineteenth, Rodney links up with his handler Rasheet in Mozambique and there he learns the limpet mines destroyed the nuclear facility. And to celebrate, the two men drink whiskey and they eat Soviet fish and they just like party down.
Speaker 3: I guess totally.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the South African nuclear program just got pushed back a year and a half at least. Yeah, And due to cultural prejudice the South African investigators, they never identify Rodney as the bomber because they're so convinced that anc rebels could never pull off such a high tech operation. So instead they think it's more likely that the French contractors building the facility did it.
Speaker 3: Oh blame the French always.
Speaker 2: Went in doubt, but in French Now. After laying the load for two weeks, Rodney and Heather they fly back to the UK, where they eventually get married. They raise a family. They remain safe and sound until the couple finally returns to South Africa in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, one year.
Speaker 2: After the apartheid government starts to fall and Nelson mandelegates released from prison in nineteen ninety Yeah, and then in nineteen ninety five, one year after apartheid officially ends in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Male and Guardian, South Africa's version of The New York Times publishes this account of the daring bombing of the nuclear actors and identifies Rodney Wilkinson and Heather Gray as the operatives who pulled it off. Wow, and by then it's safe to publish the trire. So that Elizabeth is the ridiculously heroic tale of how my man Rodney Wilkinson humbled the apartheid South African government and helped basically like puncture their cloak of supremacy, rights and inevitability. Right, So, what's a ridiculous takeaway here?
Speaker 3: Man? You know Rodney was running his mouth, he's talking too much in public. Yeah, but look at how tight lipt he was after this.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew nobody on death. The pub knew about it when he got into his cups, you know.
Speaker 3: Or maybe they did and they're like good on you. I don't know, They're like, you know what I don't want to place on city like we're not going to.
Speaker 2: He stayed with the n C. He got like a job working, like you know, they kept him around. But it's interesting the ANC doesn't hype this mission a lot. You want to hear a.
Speaker 3: Lot, I think because I think, you know, their legacy is not so much tied with those kind of yeah, the terrorists, I guess for lack of activities.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Western press would definitely label this a terrorist operation.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and there's you know, there's an old shin Fein t shirt of like one man's terrorist is another man's fruit fighter, which is like not limited to shin Fain, but like, uh, you know, I think that that's something that they want to distance themselves from. I would imagine, I imagine as well, what's your takeaway?
Speaker 2: My ridiculous takeaway here is uh, I definitely will always trust a bike riding fencing instructor from now on. Yeah, exactly, I need at least those two. You can't just be one. I don't know, defense.
Speaker 3: That's solid.
Speaker 2: So you're in the boot for a talk back.
Speaker 3: You know, I am.
Speaker 2: Pretty a d what you got for us? Oh, oh my god, leg.
Speaker 8: A ridiculous Crime fam. My name is Kelly. I'm from Colorado and I'm an original rude dude from day one. I was listening to your pigeon episode and you were talking about sexy pigeons and where you could find them. Now I could think about was animaniacs and the good pigeons. So there's some sexy pigeons for you there. And also on your lego episode, they just changed it to one hundred plus because David Attenborough turned one hundred, so that way David could keep playing with legos. Love it, have a good one.
Speaker 2: Oh my god for the legend David Attenborough.
Speaker 3: No exactly, if anyone deserves it, Yeah, legs, I love it. Thank you for that, doup.
Speaker 2: Double up well. As always, you can find us all online at Ridiculous Crime on Instagram and that's where we have pictures of this and other episodes. If you want to see what things look like, go there. And then also we're over on Blue Sky if you want to connect, and we have our website ridiculous crime dot com if you'd like to get some merch or just check out some mind clearing gifts. Just beautiful, beautiful early Internet. You'll love it. And also we love your email, so please go to Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com and start your email. Dear producer d and assistant Terry. Now, oh, I forgot. We have the iHeart app where you can do your talk back, so go there download that and maybe you get to hear your voice here. We'd love to hear it, so please do it and there you go. Thank you for listening, and we will catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime. It's hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaron Burnett, produce and edited by the man who spends the platters that Matta, the DJ for the A and c's best overseas fundraising dance parties. Mister Dave Coustin, a Ridiculous assistant, is the single best gun runner in the Zimbabwean Liberation Army Terry Maldonado. Fall research is by our master map maker and keeper of the top secret files, Riissa Brown. Our theme song is by our resident Hugh Masekela cover band Grayson and the Grass Thomas Lee and Travis Duddon. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred producer. Dave's wardrow provided by mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshott and mister Andre, executive producers, are the preferred wheelman for all your late night rebel beer runs through the African Bush, Ben Bolin and Noel.
Speaker 5: Brown Ridicus Why say It one more times?
Speaker 1: Cry Ridiculous Crime is a reduction of iHeartRadio. Four more podcasts from iHeartRadio. Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.