Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg BusinessWeek with Carol Masser and tim Stenoveek on Bloomberg Radio. He's a Hollywood machine.
Speaker 3: He is his own Hollywood machine.
Speaker 4: He's the individual behind our screen Time world, behind the screen Time newsletter. You can sign up for that at Bloomberg dot com slash screen Time. We're talking about Lucas Shaw, Bloomberg News Managing Editor of Media and Entertainment. He joins us from our Bloomberg La situation. Lucas, it's like always Sonny and nice out there. So I know you come to New York sometimes, but LA is home. But we appreciate you joining us. I want to talk about people going back to the movies this year, because this is something interesting is happening. You wrote about this recently, and I'm wondering one why people in your view or are going back to the movies, and two whether or not this is sustainable.
Speaker 1: First one is tricky day and or you know, the good slate of movies, things that people were very excited about. So you had probably the highest volume of high caliber summer blockbusters in a long time.
Speaker 2: You know, we tried to capture the lessons from those in.
Speaker 1: Es, say for Business Week, and it's everything from having an appropriate window delay before lay between when a movie appears in theaters and when it's available at home to bring something fresh and different to the table. Which sounds tried and obvious, but Hollywood has been in this pattern of releasing cinematic universes for the last ten years, and you look at what a lot of the things, A lot of things that work this year are either new movies that haven't been around in five or six years, something felt fresh. In terms of whether it's sustainable, I think that just depends on whether Hollywood learn is the right lessons from this right, you know, are they going to see obsession and instead just make a million different deals with other YouTube filmmakers, or are they going to find the right filmmaker and put the right infrastructure around them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're still down a lot right from the pandemic Lucas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sales are off I want to say ten to fifteen percent. The I should say the revenue is off. The ticket sales are off considerably more. But one of the reasons why revenue has recovered is higher ticket prices. The popularity of IMAX. You know, one of the things that seems to happen is there's a little bit of a enthusiasm around being a cinephile and filmmaking, people who are excited about going to see a Christopher Nolan movie in seventy millimeter or going to see Ryan Coogler and imax.
Speaker 4: You said, yeah, you said, in other words, as you write, being a film nerd is cool again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 3: To say, I haven't seen Odyssey yet, but I want to get to I'm going next week. I want to get to it in the theater. I really don't want to see it at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's seventy mil or just normal IMAX.
Speaker 3: I don't know what should we do.
Speaker 1: You've seen it, right, I saw it in seventy mili no imax, which is not what Christopher Nolan would want. I may go see it again in seventy milimeters IMAX, but they're on They're only like forty screens in the country that have that.
Speaker 2: So you come to New York Lucas. Okay, that's what we'll do.
Speaker 3: They're still Hey, listen, what I really think is cool is in this story. Business Week actually pulled people studio chiefs, producers, talent agents, filmmakers, analysts, and die hard filmgoers on the lessons. And one of the things I did think was I want to go to the first one. Young people still want to go to the theater. So it is interesting, Like we talked about this being kind of cool, but I think we keep thinking that some of these trends, you know, young people are going to be doing things differently, but we still now hear like they weren't going to buy houses. Well now they are maybe going to buy houses if they can afford them, but same thing for the theater. They're going back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look, it's a feeling that there was a feeling that young people would not be going to the movies anymore, and that has I think, mostly dissipated. That was like a that was one of those pandemic era moments where because of the popularity of video games, because of all these other entertainment offerings at their disposal, people thought that young people.
Speaker 2: Had moved on.
Speaker 1: And I'm still reluctant to say, like moviegoing is as popular with young people as it was before. But I think the notion that young people are just not interested in movies was clearly false. They just are interested in particular types of movies, you know, making minecraft or property that they love was something that could get them to go to the theater and get them excited about it.
Speaker 4: What about this idea of like the YouTubers starting to get into two films and these one offs, and if they are one offs? You mentioned Obsession directed by a twenty six year old YouTuber, Backrooms directed by a YouTuber. I haven't seen either of these films. I've heard about, especially heard about Backrooms. But I'm just curious, Lucas, about what that tells you about where the industry is and if there's like this, if there's a new route to the big screen, or if this is just like this is a you know, kind of a one off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a you know saying in journalism three as a trend. And so if you look at this year, you had this movie Iron Lung from a popular YouTuber named market Player that he mostly self distributed earlier this year, that did really well for the kind of that type of property. And then you had both back Rooms and Obsession, and so you had to have three YouTube adjacent films in a row. It's it's tricky because there have been filmmakers discovered on YouTube for a decade now, if not more than that, So the notion that there's a crossover potential is not new. But I do think when you have three movies hit in the way that they did at the same time that some legacy franchises like Star Wars or DC Comics underperform, its certainly opened Hollywood's eyes. They were, you know, a lot of producers trying to find that, you know, the next Reddit meme or four Chan meme that can become a movie, or that next YouTube star. You know. The truth is that each one of these stories is distinct. But I think that for me, the biggest lesson was you took kind of talent and ip that resonated online, that knew how to speak to an audience, and then plug them into the system in a way that gave them the freedom to sort of stay true to their vision, but had all the intelligence and bells and whistles of a proper Hollywood release, And to me, that's the right formula.
Speaker 3: Do you agree that audiences really want happy endings? I mean I kind of do.
Speaker 4: I do too.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's enough stuff in this world that kind of stresses me out that when I go home, I want a happy ending.
Speaker 1: I think that Hollywood fell in love. Part of this was the result of television where, you know, particularly after House of Cards on Netflix it and maybe maybe Breaking Bad, but I'll get back to that, people fell in love with this idea that nobody had to be likable, and it was it was fine to make projects about all of these kind of loathsome figures. But if you think back and this is more television than film, if you think back about you know, the anti heroes of that first era of the Golden Age of TV. You know Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Walter Wright, Walter White from Soprano's Mad Men and Breaking Bad, respectively. These were folks who were very flawed and in many cases like kind of despicable, but you were rooting for them. The series did a really good job of making you care about them and you almost like felt bad but you couldn't help but kind of want to see them succeed or do well. And I think we tilted too far away from that, where there were projects that were just very dark and bleak and depressing, and where nobody was redeemable. And that just ultimately is going to turn people off. It doesn't mean that everything should be sunshina rainbows. You know, look at all the problems in the world around us, and I do think people are craving stories that reflect some of those, but they don't want to walk out of the theater constantly feeling depressed.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's shift gears a little bit in talk sports and the connection between sports and Hollywood. You reported this week on Bob Iger and Josh Kushner and they're huge purchase of more than twelve million dollars of the LA Lakers. What was your first reaction when you saw these two, Like, we know these guys are close and iigre's been an advisor to Thrive, But what was your reaction when you saw this duo team up to buy the Lakers.
Speaker 1: I mean, my first reaction would involve an expletive that you're not going to want me to family show.
Speaker 2: So I'll just skip that one. Let's just say I was a surprise.
Speaker 1: I'll leave it a mystery as to which one, which four letter word It was a surprise. You know, Mark Walter had bought the Lakers just less than a year ago at this point, and I think Laker fans, which I am more excited about, the idea that the owners of the Dodgers, and the Dodgers have been one of the best run franchises in all professional sport works since since the Guggenheim Group took over, that they would sort of apply that formula and ferry dust to the Lakers because the Lakers had struggled a little bit the last few years. You know, it's hard in pro sports being owned by kind of a family where their entire network is tied up in the team because they just don't have the resources that some of these massive new ownership groups have. At the same time, my main takeaway was man Mark Walter must be in trouble because there had been reporting by Bloomberg and by others about some of the investigations into his kind of insurance company and how he was moving money around, and I just find it hard to believe. And again I don't have the inside track on this, but I find it hard to believe that he would sell the team that quickly if there wasn't something precipitating that I did. And we've had reporting since then on kind of his need for cash as for the Kushner Iiger duo. You know, we knew that they were trying to get an NBA team and have been trying to do things in sports. It's a little bit of an odd a nation, you know. In particular, like when I think of Bob Iger, he's probably one of the most prominent Clipper fans in Los Angeles, So the idea that he's now going to be the owner in face of the Lakers is a little odd. But we also know that he is, as the former CEO of Disney, was sort of looking for that next act in some way to stay in the public eye, and this is a good one for him.
Speaker 3: Hey, before we wrap up, just got about a minute or so to go Bloomberg screen time. The live event coming up September thirtieth, October first in LA We're going to.
Speaker 2: Be there, one of our favorites. I think it's fair.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible event, I have to say, and all kicks off on the evening of September thirtieth. Anything you can tee up for us, or how you're thinking about kind of content and the creators of content and how it's delivered and all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, we have one of our certainly one of our best lineups yet. We've got a couple of returning champions or guests. Netflix Coast CEO Ted Sarandos and NBCUS Donna Langley. We've got a bunch of new people like Danae. Wall from Disney in the head of HBO, Casey Bloys and Jerry cardinally who's involved in one of the biggest shareholders in Paramount. So I'm sure the Paramount Warner fracas will come up quite a bit. You know. We've got one of the mayoral hopefuls in La so I imagine Nthia Rahman. So I know we're going to talk about sort of production flight leaving Los Angeles and what the city and state can do to leave.
Speaker 2: It or keep it there.
Speaker 1: You know, we'll talk about AI and music with the CEO of SUNO, Mike Schulman, who's someone that might colleague Ashley Carmen and I just profiled. So we'll touch on a lot of different topics.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we're certainly looking forward to and thanks so much for covering out some time as we get ready to head into the weekend. Lucas be well, thanks you, yeah, Lucas Shaw Bloomberg News Managing editor of Media and Entertainment, joining us out there on the West Coast.