Speaker 1: Native lay Pot is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: This is episode eighty four, Good Grief eighty four of Native Lampie, where we give it to you straight, no chase there and get into all things politics with a little bit of culture. I am your host, Tiffany Cross along with my fellow co host, going with the host, Angela Right, and Andrew Gillham.
Speaker 3: What's up, y'all like this?
Speaker 1: I'm your host Tiffany and my that's day.
Speaker 5: That's day. It'll be your time next week. Hosts. Yeah, well, we all all are the hop I'm the main host, and here's my co host, y'all. If y'all know the joke, y'all, not a joke.
Speaker 3: Andrew, where are you?
Speaker 1: I'm sitting comfortable in somebody's chair inside there? Actually, you know, I'm at a funeral convention. We are supposed to be on our way. I called my best friend the other day and when was the last time we took a road trip. We got a head down to West Palm Beach for these border governor's meeting where they're considering the next President and family, along with two other universities, and of course he had the answer call about fort this morning, go get a pick up a body. That body then delayed our departure, which got us a little late on the road to South Florida. So we made a pit stop in Central Florida, which is where I am right now, and we're still.
Speaker 6: Trying to make a body in the room with you know, the.
Speaker 1: Body is with the people who you know gonna dress the body.
Speaker 3: Okay, I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, But guess what, when you're forty pushing fifty roadches just don't.
Speaker 7: They don't thank you.
Speaker 5: Let me go get this body real, No, I gotta go to the bathroom. You guys, I'm gonna tell you someth I'm gonna get so much trouble with Poppa Rock.
Speaker 1: What did you bring a bag?
Speaker 5: You guys? My dad I can't tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gotta.
Speaker 3: Tell us something now because he brought it up.
Speaker 5: You guys. You know you know I love the just Waters. You always got to shopping by black. I love just Waters. My dad saves the containers because sometimes when he takes his blood pressure of medicine. He's gotta be you can't see through this, so please make sure you throw him out. Man knows we didn't have that.
Speaker 3: You guys the show get so much. I know because I wanted to get get a whooping. Anybody to get so.
Speaker 5: Much trouble tip, Oh my god, I just.
Speaker 4: Get a whooping live on hair elementary. People's parents will come up to the school. Yeah this was abuse and trouble, but you would see them like get me in front of the class.
Speaker 5: What happened next week, which was traumatizing. He woke me on Christmas when I.
Speaker 4: Was if he did Angelo's parents spoil her, her dad especially so if he did, believe, don't feel bad she was asking for it.
Speaker 5: For Christmas.
Speaker 7: Day.
Speaker 5: That was the first and last one. But he cried harder than I did so.
Speaker 1: This week because I showed up late to pick him up Jackson, my oldest from his uh speeding agility camp. I got there probably twenty minutes late. He got in the carture. I was I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm in a conversation.
Speaker 3: I'm literally ghost the body in the background.
Speaker 1: Girls shut up, but no, no, I get him in the com like man how was the speeding agility camp? And he's like fine, fine, I said, Jackson, are you are you mad with me? I'm mad with you, I said, Jackson. I'm so sorry I was late. I'm so sorry I was late. I was trying not to do that again. I mean, keV was in the backseat like this the whole time, and then he started crying. I felt really bad, Like I was like, did you think I was gonna leave you here?
Speaker 3: That is terrible.
Speaker 1: Eleven year olds. Eleven year olds.
Speaker 5: Tell you that next time, I'm gonna come get in myself because I don't know what you are doing. Basically, then you know that I'm gonna come through. I'm gonna run right to Chaillhasse and give my nephew so you don't leave them.
Speaker 4: Well, I missed the show. So this is a very belated Happy Father's Day to you, Andrew. And I love the stories that you share about being such a great father, and it's just an example that black dads matter. So shout out to all the fathers, no matter what the special Shout out to our brothers, our black fathers out there raising wonderful black men and black black children. Say black children, I don't want to over adult ride. It's our children, black boys and black girls.
Speaker 1: God knows. So does it quicker than we're ready?
Speaker 4: Right exactly, Listen, we're about to get in the show. But I know that we have a very loyal audience out there. So for all the people, it seems like lately I've been meeting so many people who stop me and say I love Native Land. So I want to thank you guys for showing us love in the streets and would love for you all, well, thank you. We would love for you all to spread the word. Want to make sure that you are telling your friends to tune in, tell your friends to subscribe, friends and family, leave us a rating, just tell people about Native Land. Because the more that y'all tune in and the more y'all talk about us, the more work that we can do. And I want to send a special shout out and thank you to all of you who send in your viewer questions. And just a real quick point of clarity, we consider y'all family. So if we make some offhanded comment or we don't agree, it is all in love. If we say something that y'all don't agree with, if we respond to a question that you didn't like the way we respond to send in another video like we want this to.
Speaker 1: Be a video.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We are never saying anything to intentionally put somebody down, So if that's ever been taken that way, I definitely want to apologize. We love having conversation with you all in person and on video. So thank you guys for all of that. All right, Angel Andrew, what y'all got today?
Speaker 5: Well, I have a complaint. My complaint is Tiffany is going to be in Baltimore with our people, Andrew, and you're not here because you decided to take a road trip and I just have beef.
Speaker 1: Not a I ain't not here playing in the streets.
Speaker 5: Now you've kind of played in this mission. Well okay, so then maybe my beef is not with you, it's with fam you, So I will say.
Speaker 1: That and Ron DeSantis and his Republican sycophants. Yes, Sanda, you know, take everybody out, y'all. It's not a joke.
Speaker 5: It's true, it's not a joke. I'm very upset. I want my brother to be here with us. We are doing the State of the People National Assembly in Baltimore. A lot of people of ours v Pede I'm starting to wonder if they're coming for that free fish fry. We're doing our Juneteenth tomorrow, but we have our people coming through and be here, so I'm tight about it.
Speaker 1: I'm tight and big and big, big, huge ups to you, Angela, who, through your force of nature, have just made possible what I think many thought was impossible.
Speaker 5: Thank you' not just me, but thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I know I.
Speaker 4: Have something to say about that, but Andrew, before I get to it, tell us what you got.
Speaker 1: Well, y'all, I was gonna dive in a little bit to what's happening down here in Florida because I know that it reverberates, not because it spam you, but because these circumstances where our legacy presidents at our legacy HBCUs are coming up for retirement, are transitioning on and some of them are being forced on by the politics of the day. And it's no different here in Florida, no different than what we're seeing in Tennessee in another places. But I'm gonna switch it up real quick, and Angela and Tiff and just say this weekend, regardless of all of the intimidation that the Trump administration was trying to scare people in the staying home will kill. We had a share from Florida State, we will kill y'all if you come out here in protests. Right, people showed up all over this country. Y'all gave me goose bumps that they were like, bring it, we're here. There are no kings on this land.
Speaker 4: We have two amazing guests joining us. Cornell Belcher is a social scientist poster. He was the poster for both of Obama's elections in two thousand and eight and twenty twelve, and he runs a company, a polling company called Brilliant Brilliant Corners, and he was also one of Andrew's posters, which I did not even realize. And he will He will be joined by another guest who I think Lauren r Ep put on our radar, and then Angela had the idea to have them both join us.
Speaker 3: Do you want to tell us about the other guests, Angela, yes, TIV.
Speaker 5: We're really excited. I know Cornell Belcher better just like you. But Gabrielle White will also join us. They are coming from the Highland Project and they conducted a poll of black women voters in America this past spring, so we're thrilled to have them and to talk about what they found out.
Speaker 4: What I want to talk about is a scary topic, quite frankly, and that is that we appear to be on the precipice of a potential nuclear war. Nations with nuclear power are at odds right now. Israel is a nuclear power. They don't like to acknowledge it, but they are. The United States is a nuclear power. We've been pulled into a war with Iran, who is a potential nuclear power. So I want to explore that. But before we get into the show, I wanted to pick back up on what Angela said about the tour, on what you said, Andrew, and I've been having trouble getting my words together trying to say what I want to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, can you believe it?
Speaker 4: But that's okay cause somebody else, somebody else said it better than I could.
Speaker 3: So let's hear from her.
Speaker 5: What you are doing with this tour, what the leaders here have been doing with this tour.
Speaker 8: Is absolutely about giving.
Speaker 4: Life to those concepts that we were raised with, including self determination, the importance of understanding one's power, and empowering community at the same time.
Speaker 3: So I congratulate you in front of all the friends.
Speaker 5: And to everybody, you're.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I'm mad because the only video I could get my hands on the beginning was cut off. But what Madame Vice President Kamala Harry said at the beginning of that video is I want to this is her quote directly, I want to shout out Angela Rye and then you hear the rest of the video. But what she said was that's my sister right there, and then she started talking about the importance of the tour. So it was great being in LA because we got to see Madam Vice President and she got to address the community. But I just thought it was important to play that clip one to just I know it's a team of people. I've been on emails with the people they reach out to me, so I know it's more people than Angela. But Angela, I know that this torment a lot to you when you put in a lot of work. And I also thought it is important for our viewers to hear that because I of course address Madame Vice President as Madame Vice President. Sometimes I will say Kamala, but that is because there's a relationship there, and I wanted you all to hear that from her because Angela her sister. So when you hear her say Kamala is not an act of disrespect. It's because they know each other and to show that movements start from the bottom up and they can rise and reach people all over. So no matter where you are in your journey, maybe you weren't a part of the State of the People tour, maybe you're doing amazing work in your own community. I just commend all the leaders for all the work that you're doing. Angela is very resistant to praise and compliments. Even at the agenda, when the Vice President tried to thank her, she immediately deflected and started talking about other people. So I was like, Nick, don't tell her to sound I'm playing because I wanted you to just get your flowers. As we convene and kick off the National convening in Baltimore. We will miss you, brother Andrew, but like you are on your own mission, that's very important work to you. So I commend you as well, and I hope this inspires people. You know, we've all been on our own journeys and we've been very unfiltered about that with you, all our audience, who we care so much for so, just congratulations Angela as the national convening is about to commence. In any words, what's next after this tour?
Speaker 5: Yes, the question it's funny because you know you finished one chapter and you know that the story is not written. Because even as we come to Baltimore now, I wish the sound that I should have said when you asked me early if I hadn't and I didn't. There was an altercation in Baltimore streets with law enforcement just over the last couple of days and somebody was killed. And so the thing that we keep seeing in every city that we're in is that we're supposed to be there, that it is divine timing, that there's a place for our people to gather, to organize, to coalesce, to collaborate. And I'm so thankful because it really when I tell y'all, if I need to know, like, oh, how big does this sign need to be? Who can do the artwork, who can up data website, who can speak on a panel about veterans in the role of the military right now? Who can do tabletop exercises so we know what happens if the water supply is cut off or our cell phone towers are down. Those are all things I cannot do, so that means there are people that are doing them. What I'm grateful for is the ignorant courage that says that we can pull all of this off with no real plan in time. And I'm very thanking for the people who went along for that ride by faith, took one step in front of the other, and win by faith. So I'm really really grateful. I love that tip brought up our mad and Vice President because it is a reminder that even with relationship, especially in an era where we're so blatantly disrespected, that respects to start at home. So I do appreciate that nudge always and shout out to our sister, the MVP, because I don't know what these other people is doing.
Speaker 4: But also Angela, I mean, we have criticism for her as well, but I thought the audience should know that, like, yes, if we say we didn't like what Kamala did when this happened, none of that is intended disrespect where it's our right for now, we have that right in this country and it's our responsibility to question our leaders, but it is all done from a place of love. Just like when y'all criticize us. That's why I can receive it because it comes from a place of love.
Speaker 5: We have those conversations with her directly. You know, it's it's like, oh, I disagree with this. Have you thought about this approach? You know? So I definitely know that I wish that we had a clip like this when we first started to show, because people really didn't get it. I remember there was somebody I remember who, but somebody posted a clip saying that we were mad because we didn't get invited to the Christmas party all. And the truth of it was, we opted not to go as a collective of our group of girlfriends opted not to go as a collective to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people. So anyway, we love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you raised so bravely and consistently for us is this sort of what do you do? How do you just get started? And Angela, I just want to say you exhibited live and in real time that you just have to take a step. You just have to take a step and you never know what kind of squad is lined up behind you. Maybe not to do all the things you want every better do, but they're there to do something, They're there to plug in. So I just want to just underscore that mark that it took it takes us step do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and people and plenty of people are out there doing something and not everybody's in it. You know, when I hear people have aspirations, I have to remind them. Angela never got into this game to be on TV to get a bunch of IG followers. You know, Ala was a staffer on the Hill. People used to tell me that about Jamal Simmons, like I want to be like Jamal Simmons years ago, and Jamal Simmons didn't get in this game for that. You know, Jamal Simmons worked on about a thousand who gives a craft campaigns across the like places you never heard of.
Speaker 3: You would work on that.
Speaker 4: So when you are honored, when you honor the work uh and are not into hashtag celebrity and hashtag activism, that's where our collective focus should be. So congratulations. I will see you all in Baltimore this week. We're looking forward to it and a lot of our friends. They're flying in from all over the country, so it should be a good time and definitely want to honor the life that was lost in the streets of Baltimore and we were made. This is a good example. We were being lighthearted about the body that is an Injrew's room right now, but I do want to honor that that person lost the life and give with me.
Speaker 1: That was a city, a couple of cities.
Speaker 5: Though okay, already dropped the body.
Speaker 4: Of Listen, y'all a cycle of life.
Speaker 1: Real quick, though. I just think I don't want to let this moment pass without Also, you said something tip when you said this whole hashtag celebrity thing. And I've gotten so much frustration with so many different quote unquote elected leaders, well elected quote leaders who think because they put a post on their social that in some way how that means they moves the earth. Then I'm knocking on doors not bringing nobody in, and they're afraid of their own shadow. I just want to thank those folks like Keith that listen and again our sorrows go out to the families impacted in Minnesota by the rationing up of this rhetoric, but for getting out there saying what needs to be said. And we have to stop cowering. I have more people asking me, well, Andrew, if you know this board is gonna choose the candidate we don't want, when do we start to just sort of bring it together, you know, bring her in? I said, can we at least follow through the whole protest? I demand say, not being made? Why are it is not the obligation of those who are being trampled upon to then go and say, hey, I know you hurt me and you didn't have to kick me like you did, but are we gonna be okay? I just want to make sure all this no. So so if she selected president at these other institutions, if the leader that you don't want to select, it, the onus is on them to help bring that divide. I just the politeness the whole. You know, I'm courageous because I sent a tweet, but you're not doing anything in follow up y'all times. If you haven't noticed, it's quitting time for all of that.
Speaker 3: You know, that might be a good mini pod.
Speaker 4: The leadership styles, you know, because they're different leadership styles and not everybody needs to lead all the time. Do you have what it takes to lead, but also do you have what it takes to follow? And that is something can do. You have that ego chech that you need to follow. So maybe we'll get into that on the mini pod. And just so our viewers know, you referenced Keith Ellison. He was, of course, a former member of the Congressional Black Caucus and he is now the Attorney General of Minnesota. And as you all know, we had political violence. Sadly, I don't think it'd be the last that we'll see. We had political violence with the loss of the former House speaker state House speaker in Minnesota and her husband and another Democratic elected official and his wife. They were shot but they both survived.
Speaker 3: Still fourteen times.
Speaker 4: Okay, don't go anywhere, because on the other side of this break, you guys, we look like we are on the precipice of a potential nuclear war. We're going to get into that.
Speaker 6: We'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of violence, I want to talk, ever so briefly about this war that it seems like the United States is itching to get in Congress is I have to say, Congress is trying to stop this because the United States Constitution grants the right to declare war to Congress, not to presidents. However, the president is the commander in chief, so he can command that troops take action. And so that's why certain we've been at war quote unquote, but it has not been an acknowledged war for the history books, and because Congress didn't declare it. I'm really nervous about this.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 4: I'm really nervous about this. Just so, just so folks know, and Andrew, I'm depending on you to correct me if I say something wrong here. But this is my understanding of what's happening Israel, as you all may have recalled, proactively drop bombs on Iran. They claim this was to stop them from being able to enrich uranium, basically from being able to make a nuclear weapon. And this is happening at the same time that Trump is in conversations with Iran for a new Iran nuclear deal, which I surmise I can almost guarantee was not going to be that different from the nuclear deal that Obama had with the Iranians, which they ship on the entire time. After that, Net and Yaho felt emboldened. And of course Iran is attacked, and so Net Yahoo is like that little shit talking person that loves to do a lot of talking but throws a stone and hides his hand, and then he comes to America like, let's go get him, guys.
Speaker 3: And this is.
Speaker 4: Where we are right now. And that makes me incredibly nervous for a few reasons. I was at CNN at the time during the build up to the Iraq War, and this has very striking similarities. That was allegedly to stop Iraq from developing a nuclear weapon, but the background ambition was regime changed, and we remember exactly how that turned out. It was a bloody quagmire that cost us tens of thousands of lives, changed generations, was awful. This is on the heels of nine to eleven. So I guess I'm just concerned now of what this takes. The IEA is the International Atomic Energy Agency, and so they've said that Iran has enriched their uranium. See it needs to be a ninety percent to create a nuclear weapon. Where this facility is that they're trying to bomb is buried so deep in a mountain like like Wakanda vibranium. It is deep, deep, deep deep levels. Israel cannot get to that mountain and they are going to try to keep bombing. And now basically they have their hands out saying America, now we have to go fight this war. I just got a problem with this net in y'ahoo is a war criminal. This man has to be stopped, like he cannot keep doing this shit, and then looking at us saying okay, now y'all come get involved. Y'all send money, y'all send lives because now Iran first of all months ago, Iran said the United States is not our enemy, and we don't know why we're their enemy. We don't hind on beef with you all. Now Iran is saying knock if you buck. You keep tweeting all these things. Guess what We're not like other nations. We will not back down. That is a terrifying thing. Most of the people in Iran do not support the regime. So when you have a regime like that, that's saying we will fell up. If you try something, that's what it feels like. Just put it in lays, that's what it feels like. Cross this line if you want to. I am terrified about this. I am so terrified about this because they could be a cornered animal. They can be the negotiator or escalate and they could say no We're gonna escalate because we're tied Israel has been killing our people. We're gonna make this a religious war.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to get the background to the audience and get y'all thoughts about it, because I am pretty concerned that we could really see a nuclear war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, if you thank you for the breakdown. By the way, the detailed breakdown, I would insert one other I would say provocation by Israel that preceded the mass bombing that they have undertaken of late, and that is they sent almost the CIA version in Israel, the version of the CIA in Israel. That's the best way I can put it. But otherwise clandestine organization. They sent clandestine troops into Iran the weekend prior to the negotiations beginning about uh that you referenced before that Trump walked away from from the nation of World, from the from the world that included all industrialized nations democratic nations as a part of that treaty. Those negotiations were to take place over the weekend, and prior to those negotiations taking place, Net and Yahoo decides to send their clandestine troops into a sovereign territory of Iran and pretty much took out assassinated the top brass of Iranian military leadership.
Speaker 3: I mean this is scientists.
Speaker 1: Is that not just a scientist, but military generals, they're air force. I mean, these these were very calculated, I gotta say, probably of a sophistication level that has not been executed by another nation to this point in the world. And the reason why it hasn't been executed by another nation in the world despite their capabilities, is that everyone knows the splatter that comes from that kind of warfare. One when you say it's okay to go into a sovereign nation and do that, and you permit it, you also permit it for yourself. That's why sovereigns don't endorse the killing of other sovereign kings and queens. Because you permit a god given sovereign to be assassinated, you invite the same into yourself. So most nations don't carry out those kinds of operations because they don't want the same. They don't want to create a permission structure for the same thing to happen to them. So the reason why these layers are so important, in my opinion, is it shows not a response to Iran for a specific action. This is a well calculated, well matured It seems to me that the plans that have been on the bookshelves for years, if not decades, under net and Yahoo and his ultra conservative regime, that they are now because Trump has created the permission structure by basically saying, I don't care what the hell they do to them, I don't care what I mean that That's pretty much what he said about this part of the world out in here on this topic. And that is simply to say, this is America leadership in the world at its worst. If if what is happening in the Middle East doesn't do anything else to us, it should hold a mirror up to the American people to say that Trump has been asleep at the wheel. Countries are going ape shit bombing each other, India's you know, experiencing its aggressive tendencies, China towards the Taiwanese and the Taiwan's straits.
Speaker 4: Access that they're forming, Indiana, Russia. I mean, this is the you know, don't leave out North Korea, like this is a new world order.
Speaker 1: The United States to decide, Yeah, we used to have to give permission for these kinds of things to take place. And I don't mean to perpetuate the the you know, this sort of big popa role. But what's true is true, and that is the United States has been the global war leader and has set the global war order for the last sixty or some odd years.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: By the way, I don't think that order has been perfect. In fact, it is filled with mistaken era. Well, what's happening now, the kind of chaos y'all, Tiffany, your right to be concerned. I'm absolutely concerned, mostly because I think net and Yahoo is going to leave Donald Trump by the nose to the American people into a war, which I think will help to fracture Trump's space. Who are natives at hard They don't want their money going overseas and don't want the troops their sous and Donald's going overseas. And if Trump preceedes down this line, I think he's looking for trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Andrew, I you know again, this is all very frightening to me to see what's happening. And I think it's not a matter of if we'll get involved, but when so, I just thought it was important to talk about this because news happens and changes so quickly, and this is a huge, huge deal. And you know, like Angela, you have your hands full with what's happening here in America and we can't take our eye off that while around us chaos swirl. So it just feels like because people are saying, oh, this is a distraction from what's happening domestically, and I don't know that this is a distraction, like this is something right, right, It's not a distraction. This is something that that requires our attention, and it's a manipulative tactic.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was just gonna say on this point. You know, this kind of happens for me every time we do this. I'm fine with domestic policy. I don't know why, but foreign policy is always and I talk about on the show, it's always been harder for me to like absorb and get it and follow all the players. So I'm sure there are folks at home that feel similarly. I'm glad when you're I'll do these, But I would be lying if I didn't say that part of me is feeling the angstuff. But ice is on our streets and they're trying to create manufacture literally, war on our own streets. So how do you tell people to carry both, like we can't afford not to carry both. What's the instruction or the directive that you would give to some of us who are battling. Well, this feels really present for me, and it's right outside my door. It's impacting my neighbors. I'm seeing, I'm hearing about kids being disappeared or their parents being disappeared, so they're stranded and holding on to teachers as like this cliped that Joy put up yesterday. So what do you tell folks that are like, I don't know if I could.
Speaker 4: Do both, I get it, and I'm not asking anybody to do both. Just listening to us talk about it is enough, just so you're aware, because it's nothing that we can do on the global stage to stop anything. So if you can just be aware that this is happening, the closest I can example I can give is Game of Thrones when all the people were fighting, but the White Walkers were in regardless. So y'all are fighting over who's gonna sit on this iron throne, but out there in the atmosphere, the White Walkers are coming. So then collectively, y'all all had to get together to fight them. That's what it can feel like. And you can make the White Walkers climate change, you can make the White Walkers nuclear weapons.
Speaker 5: Whatever they are, the White Walkers. But so here's my question, how do we come together? Well, how do we come I guess we're not coming together with the White Walkers, but how do we come together with people who are seeking our demise right now? How do we come together with people who are, at least it appears to be acting like ice even when they're not. We don't have any way to verify if these chokes are actually law enforcement, which is what they've done since slavery. So how do we find ourselves coming together to prepare for an international onslaught of terror and violence when they are terrorizing us currently on these streets. What is the pathway for coming together so we can protect the homeland? What's the princess for doing that?
Speaker 1: I mean, Angela, first of all, thank you for raising it, because I know how true it is, the dissonance that we all feel. That's why I used to bother me so much when I would hear thirteen thousand troops killed in Afghanistan, right because I got a nephew who's in the Marines, and I have uncles who have served this country and an uncle who lost his life serve in this country. So the dissidence actually isn't dissidents at all. The only reason why we can create separation is because we now have an all voluntary military versus where all of us could be conscripted into service in this country. The end of the conscription allowed a lot of us to just turn our heads away from what was happening outside of our quote unquote geographical boundaries. But our sons, our daughters, our cousins, our nieces and nephews and uncles when they get central broad into these senseless wars. I remember Obama talking about I have to be able to explain to a mother, a father, or sister or brother, a daughter, a son, why I sent his father or mother to death.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: So it may be an expansion on the warfare that we're experiencing on the home front, but these international entrapments, I mean, I feel like that's the direction we're heading here with us on the topic that we just raised. This is our children's future, literally those who are in service. And then secondarily, the amount of money that we're gonna spend there. Imagine how much the United States Congress is going to try to claw back and domestic programming and programming to assist middle class and striving and working class families and poor kids. They're gonna try and claw all that back because they let Net and Yahoo lead them by the nose into a war that cost us in treasure but more importantly cost us in lives. So I would just I don't want the conscription back, but I would love for us to engage in these kinds of conversations and the full awareness that American bodies are online.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just to your to back you up on that, Andrew again, I'm not even asking people to do anything. I think if the only thing you do is listen to us and understand, Oh, this is real serious, what's happening on the global stags, that's enough. Never in history have we been asked to consume so much information and care about it all. That's how we end up caring about nothing because it becomes too much. I think right now, if you are focused on ices on these streets and they're coming in masked men are on behalf of the United States government are disappearing people. We are looking again at state sponsored violence that black folks know all too well because we never had a reprieve from it. We never had any relief. So when we see mass men, and I think we can't ignore the fact that a mass man showed up at two lawmakers' homes and attempted to kill them, was successful in the case of the former state House speaker and her husband, and was almost successful with a host of other people, not just the two people he shot, but he showed up at other people's homes with the intention of killing him. So you think about that, and then think about and we also have mass men showing up to courtrooms, kidnapping people, showing up to people's homes, kidnapping them, stopping people on the streets, kidnapping them, showing them to their jobs, kidnapping them. How do I know that you are even entitled to And they are arresting which they do not have the right to do. They are arresting democratic office holders, as we just saw this week in New York with the city comptroller who happens to be running for mayor. I just not have the authority to arrest the United States citizens. When he said that I had to look that up to make sure that's you. They don't have that authority. So we are looking at if there is a through line, we're looking at a potential war with authoritarian regimes while at home, and authoritarian regime is taking over our country. The irony and hypocrisy right exactly. So everything is on fire. So my recommendation is, get a bucket of water and throw it at whatever you can. It doesn't have to be Iran and the nukes. It don't have to be Ice, if it's just cleaning up your neighborhood, if it's just going to the school board meeting making sure they don't cancel books or cancel history class, or whatever you can do. Because I don't even know how we stop this, friend, Sheherylyn Eiffel, Yes, Sherilyn Eiffel Well, who is of course the former head of the naacp ODF. She acknowledged, I don't know that we can stop any of this. I don't have a path for it, but I know that we have to fight. And she said indifference is obedience in advance, and.
Speaker 3: That just stuck with me.
Speaker 4: So if you might be able to kill me, but I promise you I'm gonna fight to the death before I just lay down and die in whatever capacity I can.
Speaker 1: That's my people did this weekend TIF all over the country. Yeah, they said, threatening if you want, this is a democracy.
Speaker 3: And all empires fall. I do feel like we're looking at the fall of an empire.
Speaker 4: But for we march right on the other side of this break, there is brand new data that is a snapshot of how black women are feeling right now.
Speaker 6: We're going to dig into that on the other side. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: I am so thrilled to be joined by these guests. We have Madame Gabrielle Wyatt joined by Zaddy with a z coroneller.
Speaker 3: That it was.
Speaker 5: Why didn't we just walk into Andrew?
Speaker 1: I mean, this thing drops at eleven a m my mother, I'm stating.
Speaker 5: My continuing the whole fair from.
Speaker 7: Y'all.
Speaker 3: Don't know the Native had a whole bop.
Speaker 5: After Dark apparently dark uncut.
Speaker 4: But on a serious note, these two teamed up and did an amazing poll on how black women feel after the election.
Speaker 3: This is speaking right to my heart.
Speaker 4: I'm writing something on this right now, so I'm really I was really thrilled to look at the slides and I Angela had the great idea to have you both on together. Lauren, our executive producer, put these slides on our radar, and so I'm just really happy to have you both on the show today. And before we get started, this may be a little strange, but I'm looking at you, Gabrielle, and it is reminding me of someone we we lost. But you have a striking, uncanny resemblance. You already know what I'm going.
Speaker 3: To say, probably to Ananda Luis. The resemblance is there.
Speaker 4: You obviously get that a lot because you're nodding, but you're you're beautiful for the people who are listening.
Speaker 3: You're very beautiful. But yeah, I see that resemblance there.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thank you for bringing her into this space too.
Speaker 4: Yes, our I p to her. We we love she was such a beautiful person in all of our.
Speaker 7: Are Like Denzel, I'm not going to say was understood.
Speaker 4: Doesn't need to be said. I can I can I say really quickly though we started okay, wait because this is but this is a good story.
Speaker 3: Denzel Uh in the.
Speaker 4: Movie he was playing like a terrorist UH safe house and he was doing an interview Cornell already knows the story. He was doing an interview and they asked him, like, who was your inspiration to play this crazy sociopath.
Speaker 3: Cornell Voucher?
Speaker 4: He really, he said Cornell, but because he tried to do his hair like Cornell, so he like had his hair out in salt and pepper. He literally Cornell all with the influencer.
Speaker 7: Look, I know psycho path right, that's that's really cool, I.
Speaker 5: Might say sociopath. We love Cortnell. He is brilliantly. We have a lot of data to get into minutes because they got to go. But that was a fifteen minute intro. Okay, I know, Sorry, I can't be trusted anymore, and I really can't. You know, I got a d D. So I was right with you. Okay, So I want I want you all to just to give us the top lines about this poll. Why this poll?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: I think black women are probably like, we know how we feel, but it's important, I think in so many spaces where our voices are not lifted up and elevated to bring attention to how we're feeling and how we're responding. Because it's not just a despondent this is our feeling. This is what we're this is where we're at. There's also a response happening, so talk about why this poll and why now? Yeah, I can start and Cornell definitely jump in.
Speaker 8: You know, we teamed up beginning in twenty twenty one, and it's for the same reason that we said we were going to keep going this year, which was we know we are not listened to and centered in data, and that it's not just that we're not listened to, but our experiences aren't valued holistically nor equally compared to others. And as I think about this moment, many said, Gabrielle Cornell, why are you going to do it again?
Speaker 5: We already know how we feel.
Speaker 8: And for me, it was important one in a time where so much of rasure is happening, that we continue to build one of the largest archives of the experiences of black women and not just the day to day but our dreams and aspirations. That's one of the most beautiful parts about this partnership with Cornell, and perhaps most unexpected for others to hear, is how many dreams we have heard over twenty twenty one. And you can first look at this year and say there's no dreaming happening Gabrielle. But when I see that black women are continuing to name that the future is most important for little ones and we've got to figure this shit out, that is dreaming. That's evidence of dreaming. And I would say the second is the reminder to all of us here and listening of we're not a monolith. And that's why we had a responsibility to listen again this year and continue. And I hope the way I'm waking up this morning is I hope that as black women read this data, as.
Speaker 5: They hear other stories, that they.
Speaker 8: Remember they're not alone. And so I wake up every day primarily in rooms like this. Not every black woman or girl does, And so I hope that when she reads this and sees that folks their mental health is worse off, that she knows she's not alone, and how she's feeling that day too, I love that.
Speaker 7: I would say, well, first, I think we ought to give big ups to Gabrielle and what she's doing at the Highland Produce, because she is making a space for women and their voices and their stories, and she's doing a remarkable She's doing a remarkable job, and the importance of this is voice. Look, data for me is not just data, It is stories. It is people's voices. And Gabrielle, you'll remember from one I think the comments we got back as we put out the data was a thank you because from someone who says often I don't feel my voice is heard or the voice of black women aren't heard. Right, So this is telling Black women stories and we are demanding that these stories be heard and their voices be heard. And that's what this data is. So I hold data is sort of sacred because it is because it's people. There are people in voices behind this data. And look, there's not a lot of organizations out there, you know, doing large sample sizes of just African American women, right. You know you all know this because you're all political hacks in some way, shape, form or fashion. But in most of these national polls you get out, you know, you may have sixty or seven the African American women in there, right, so it's not a robust sample of African American women, but sort of really focus on these African American women. And look, the and we're not in the Highland Group project is not partisan. But since the press, since the election, you do have a deep sense of from these women and from the day to day literally say we feel like we're going backwards and the economic angst is real. Look, you know, in twenty twenty four, forty percent of African American women said that the economic conditions in the country are getting worse. Today, that's eighty seven, right, It's near universally felt that by these African American women, that that the overall economy is getting worse. Right, and you and in twenty twenty four when we did this, you know, you, we had just thirty seven percent of African American women saying they felt that they were falling behind their economic conditions, they were falling behind economically. Now you have a majority of fifty seven percent of African American women say that they are falling behind economically. Right, So we have a tremendous shift of what's happening with African American women. And as Gabrielle talked about, right, we even delved into questions around mental health and they and they and they and they talk about sort of how their their mental health is is worse off now and how so many of them are pulling back even from from from news sources because quite frankly, uh, it makes it makes them depressed. So we got to give voice to this.
Speaker 4: I think that's so profound what you said, because you know, this data feels like home to us, because these are the conversations that we're having at brunches, in our group chats when we connect and convene, and certainly right here on Native lampod we've revisited this. Why the focus on black women as opposed to black men? And if you have done any of that kind of research, Cornell, which I imagine you have, is there a lot of daylight between us and our beloved count parts and their outlook on the country.
Speaker 7: Well, I can we curse on this podcast? This is you know, this is a gross I'm still sick of a narrative about so trying to pit African American men versus African American women. Right, if you look at the history of this, go back to Carter, Right, you have roughly anywhere between twelve and nineteen percent of African Americans voting Republican. So you had roughly thirteen fourteen percent of African Americans voting Republican this past time around. And there's always a gender gap, right, men vote more Republican than women do. In every ethnic demographic group there is. You know who has the smallest difference between how their men and women vote, Black men. The difference between how black men and Black women vote as less than five points. That is, that is the lowest. That that's the lowest there is. But it's ideal that somehow, you know, black men are behaving dramatically different than than than the Black women in their community. We're both seeing the threats to our community and we're both frustrated with what's happening politically. I think is I think it's a it's a it's it's a narrative that I think is it's it's diabolical, and we've got to push We've got to push back on it. I'm less worried about you know, thirteen or fourteen percent of African American men voting Republican that I am the forty percent who just are so discouraged by politics and part and and that nothing changes that they don't turn out. That's the difference between winning elections and losing elections. Not between two three percent difference between how Black men and Black women vote. It is the overwhelming lack of turnout that we've been seeing among younger voters and also voters of color, which quite frankly cost Harris the election a lot more so than this ideal that somehow we got to win back working class white people, non college white people, by the way, a group that has not broken for Democrats in any real way in three or four in three or four decades. And you know what percentage of non college white men, non college white voters, Harris Scott got the same percentage that that Biden did on his way to winning. Right, that's not the that's not the focus. We've got to energize and mobilize and bring these people into the process.
Speaker 3: It perpetuates a narrative that the working class is white or right exactly, Sorry, I interrupted, do you go.
Speaker 1: In No, no, no, I just I'm glad that the Accordnell. One of the things I reflect on when I think about the twenty and twenty four election is how many black men actually feel proud to finally be able to be asked the question about what they thought and what they believed. And I think some of that started to then deepen sort of this narrative that black men are here and black women are there and I think that's one of the things that this study helps to kind of go directly to the point, which is you need to know what black women think, and not just so that they can end up in your speech, but so that your public policy starts to reflect some of these concerns. And I wonder who should we want to be hearing from right now and quoting you all's brilliant work when it comes to the public policy agenda that is going to put progressive thinkers like myself back in charge because all I hear is an anti Trump narrative, and I can't wait for the construction of why don't we take our best assets right? The folks who win, they're not with us, drag Whoever the Democrat is at the helm right, their pole numbers shatter when black women and black men aren't there. So do you feel a sense of an early formation of that? What does the take back agenda look like for this country if it doesn't include hook line and sinker, which you all have identified here as the highest priority concerns that black women are reflecting, which I would say also encompasses what black men often think about.
Speaker 7: I want to say that I'm gonna throw it to Gabriel because I want black women to talk more than than than than black men about this, about this. But but black power starts with black women. It just does, right. There is no black power movement in this country without black women being upfront and and making that happen, because they are the most likely, they're they're most they're far more likely to vote. And this is what I tell any campaign, y'all.
Speaker 5: Cut that clip.
Speaker 7: I tell any campaign, and you know this from your even campaign, like if if black women, if black women galvanize around you, the community will follow right so first and foremost for anyone out there. And I tell Cann this all this time. You know, if if, if you, if black women get behind you, the community will will follow. And so I think that's so important to centralize this ideal of black power. I'm sorry, guys, but it does have to be centralized black black women because they are voting in such higher, high, higher, higher numbers and turning out in so much higher numbers. And women, by the way, you're the you're more, you're the majority. It's not us men. I'm sorry, Geb. I'm gonna start talking now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, I'll listen to you. My brother, I would say that what's been on my mind is what Cornell didn't mention, was like, everyone is naming that this is an unfair and rig system when we look at this data and we know that that is true on the other side, not only for black men, but my hunters, for the majority of Americans. And I share that because one of the reasons we started this journey was so many funders were saying to me that wealth is only about becoming a billionaire. And I said, that's not true, and I'm going to prove it. I'm going to prove it to you that wealth is more than currency. And when I look at the last five years, black women have named an expansive vision of wealth. They said, it's about choice. We want choice beyond a zero sum game. We want financial freedom, we want belonging, and we want thriving health. And I'm naming those pieces because I think a lot of Americans, perhaps I eagerly I think this want those four same things and are pointing to an unfair and rig system as one of the leading causes. I think that in this moment, it's a mistake for any leader, regardless of politic regardless of sector, to look at what we heard and think that black women are showing up in the same way. Because we heard that a majority of fifty five percent of black women and are naming we have to fight for our rights and build a future. Yes, we are naming that, but we're building very differently right And so I think I'm curious Cornell and I are in a conversation last week where a sister of ours said, because I'm not putting money forward in a campaign in the same way that I did before, and so I'm naming that because I think of risk in looking at this information is that folks remain comfortable that they make the assumption that Black women are showing up in the same way when they see that data point. And I think that that would be a poor decision for anyone in their seem to make or core.
Speaker 1: Is there optimism out there? Do you have optimism that some folks are catching the give us the early tea leaves of how the data's landed with the donor class and the leading class, who often frankly go to data to shape their framework of how to move forward.
Speaker 5: Cautiously optimistic, and in a moment I will make consciously optimistic.
Speaker 8: I think that what feels different this year is that we can show scale, that we're showing scale and the lived experiences, and that we're freaking consistent as black women. We're not all of a sudden naming that we're concerned about the future. We're not all the sudden becoming folks who are about rooted in love, rooted injustice, rooted.
Speaker 5: And fairness right.
Speaker 8: And I'm naming that because in the world I sit in of watching philanthropy ping pong words around and strategies around right now, which is part of the reason why we're in this mess is we, as long as black women, have always taken an emergent view of the future. And so I think that's where I have cautious optimism, is that the funder class is seeing consistency, seeing consistency, that the same values are leading our work, seeing consistency that we are not just human beings who are survivors, but human beings who want to thrive and have stories of thriving, and we're going to get there. I'm curious there seems to be this narrative that you know, black women, by extension, black folks we mine in our business. You know that we are like wiping our hands, We're done with this place. It's anecdotal.
Speaker 4: We see that in comments on our respective social medias and certainly in Native Land as a whole. I've seen maybe black faces who might be less connected to the community regurgitate this narrative on air, and I'm curious, as I look at your data, it seems to poke holes in that theory.
Speaker 3: Can you talk to that?
Speaker 8: This was one of our favorite co collaborations of last yours. Cornell and I wanted to unpack the meme of black women sitting on the building right with the fire behind us, And so that's why we ask the question right of like the world's on fire, are you moving or are you resting? And so that's where we heard the majority of fifty five percent are naming. No, We're focused on protection and building. But I think what's been unique in the community conversations we've had since releasing the data is the nuance behind what does it mean to continue to build? And so you are here, I hear every day the leaders that I serve name. I didn't react to immediately go to a protest this time because I'm actually saving my energy for this marathon of X right and so I think that the lesson learned and that our community holds sacred is that if Black women aren't sustained, our homes aren't sustained, our communities aren't sustained. And so when we say rest, I believe that in that fifty five percent, women are also resting. But they're resting not from a definition of opting out. They're resting from my coach said to me the other day. You rest so that your nervous system can actually make meaning and actually dream again and have the power again, the energy again to pursue change. And so I think it's nuanced when you go to the layers beneath of the choices folks are making so that they can show up more holly for the future they really believe in, instead of getting called to city Hall every day to stand outside with the sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah I think, I know you'll have a hard out, but I have. Oh I'm sorry, go no please.
Speaker 7: I was going to go really quickly because I want to reinforce what Gabrielle is saying there, but I also want to bring in that I'm suspicious of this narrative. Also, I'm suspicious of what's driving this narrative because I see it on social media all the time, and it is like Black people need to pull back and pull out and not be a part of the sort of process as a plow conversation, and we just need to let the world, you know, move without without us. You know, yes, we need rest. But also listen, no one on this this this stream right now would would be here if if if our grandmothers are our grand great grandmothers said you know what, we're we're going to pull back from the world because because of racism or because of any of these isms. And certainly we all know that the black community is the is the canarian the coal mine. Right We've generation upon generations of Black women and black men who've had to fight and choose a lesser of two evils and navigate this landscape. And so I'm also so I'm I'm for rest, but I'm also a little suspicious of who's of some of the some of what's been happening with this narrative, because I think it's self defeating and I think it plays in the hands of the enemies of our community and the other sort of the thing that's the thing striking about this data is is in Gabrielle Backman. This is like, well, fifty seven percent of African American women say that they experienced racism often in their lives. That's just start startling. And and you know, and and and racism and discrimination is one of their top obstacles they name as one of the top obstacles to getting ahead or or or or or freedom. So we're faced with, as we know, this existential racist threat from that from white nationalism right now. So I really question this idea of where some of this is coming from. Is ideal that, Okay, we just got to pull back from the world right now when the world when when white nationalism is on the march, it's kind of we've got to pull back from the world right now.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah, And whose algorithms are keeping that feed going?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Who's in charge of that narrative being? But I know who is probably in charge of this color scheme of this poll. And I'm curious to know what inspired this ivy green and very blush pink.
Speaker 3: Uh this is.
Speaker 8: And I have come because we used to operate in his power points and this year.
Speaker 5: We're in Canaba and launched.
Speaker 8: If you go to our Instagram, you'll see we actually have no graphs at all the beautiful artwork that juxtapposes the grief with black girl joy.
Speaker 3: So thank you for poting that out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I thought, I thought, uh, Vice Presid Kamala Harris with particularly appreciate Yeah, uh the schematics here. But but y'all are y'all are really honing in on some important work. And I just I hope that it continues to reverberate and lift and almost past Donor class because I'm kind of over it. I was in the pitching world for a very long time and it made me sick that this room of of of aging largely white liberals who were well intentioned and you know to the extent that that yeah toward their giving, but oftentimes took a very sort of where the parent in the room approach to what's important, what isn't important, what elected is the right one, which one isn't. But that hopefully this data continues, and I know it to be true because I live with a black woman who is at an organizational meeting practically every night right doing something for an organization that builds her and our family and strengthen us and girds us up. So almost time out for the poohbahs. Let the people you know accelerate this thing. And I appreciate y'all putting that narrative really front and center your voices. They don't decide that it matters, they matter because y'all matter. Period.
Speaker 4: Enough said, I love that Well will certainly make these slides available. They will definitely be referenced in what I'm writing. So I appreciate you both. And it's a reunion here. We're so excited to welcome you into the folds, Gab. But I also all of us, Angela, Andrew, and I have either.
Speaker 3: Worked with or for.
Speaker 4: Again, I'm not gonna do as anything, but I'm just saying we all have a relationship with Cornell. I worked for Cornell in the two thousand and seven during the administration.
Speaker 3: Cornell was just.
Speaker 4: Yes, Cornelle got Obama elected. But also, Andrew, you worked with Cornell on your campaign. Angela, you've worked with Cornell, so it's just.
Speaker 7: Nice to me that campaign. That's how that's just let's this is yeah, this is that's how black power, black politics is supposed to work.
Speaker 4: Yes, as as a wise man on this podcast might say, you have to be.
Speaker 3: Nation, so we are all nation. We are all nations.
Speaker 4: So thank you guys for doing this beautiful, insightful piece of work. May it spread wide. Like I said, it would certainly be referenced here, and I'm gonna personally pull some of these slides and explore them deeper and will follow up with you all directly if I have any more questions. This is great, but it's really a great service you're providing to not just black women, but people with an intellectual curiosity about their fellow countrymen, white folks, please tune.
Speaker 3: In Jesus right, anybody who's running a campaign.
Speaker 4: You know, it was sad that there were people who had to run a shadow operation on the Kamala Harris campaign to reach some of these demographics. And to your point, Andrew, this donor class that is largely white and male, it is time to be disrupted. As is the narrative that black women are sitting home getting manicures while the world burns. None of that is true. The devil is a lie. As they said, Yeah, yeah, welcome. Thank you guys for taking time out of your busy schedules joining us. This is great and we look forward to welcome you all both back soon.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 5: Thank you all.
Speaker 1: This doesn't have to be recorded, but I do think I agree with Cornell on you know, women have always sort of been forbearers in our community as a relations sort of set in the tone, but it also disregards the structural ways in which men have been taken out Where black men were working, they were leading, they were assisting, they were partners, they were going through the ballot with their with their spouses and family members, and that threat right that the that then got diagnosed by the government and by white supremacists then created a structure that systematically removed us from Yes.
Speaker 9: So that's not to take anything away, it's simply to say that that that reality exists not only because but also so in part to the fact that black men have been structurally leveled.
Speaker 4: I think that's such a great point that you bring up. Their policies were an impediment to our partnership and our love in the nineteen seventies when they essentially expelled black men from the home, particularly for impoverished black women who needed support right, who needed support, who were oppressed, who had been laid off, who had been routinely victimized by this country. They said, okay, we'll give you a few coins, but you got to kick that man out the house. We cannot give you support. With the rise of you know, the different movements, you know, the Black Panther movement where they jailed entire generations of thought leaders, thinkers, doers, act of this geniuses. Even in the nineteen eighties when the CIA morphed in the Nino Brown and pumped drugs into our communities and destroyed our men, and then the nineteen ninety these when they gave us mandatory minimum. So I hear you, and I know that black men have been most certainly uh just disrespected, oppressed, uh murdered by the state, a bunch of things.
Speaker 1: So and those who survive it should be you know, like you actually are surviving something. You're surviving a set of structures, just as black women are structures that are on your collapse. They're designed for.
Speaker 5: Us, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeahiating And even but even before that, because you're the father of two boys, even that, the idea of how we treat our we started out young. We banish our boys to remedial classes who don't need to be there, and we you know, fund and fill this school to prison pipeline. So from from prisons to to pedagogy, we are setting some black men up for failure. So we do not ever want to overlook that. But what I would say though, to our beloved others out there, is just because something is celebrating Black women, because we so often feel the least loved, it does not mean is putting down black men, like let us have our love, you know if we say something like and I know you do all the time, Andrew, But there's a whole host of people out there who are so traumatized, who are in so much pain, who are so hurt, and they listen to these podcasts bros. And they ascribe to these very toxic belief systems. They feel entitled to women who you know, they they have not earned, and it just creates for a toxic landscape of our love. And the only thing that we that gave us the tools to survive this four hundred plus year or nightmare was the love we have for each other. And right now policies are DISTI descentivizing, disincentivizing that love. And so I think it's such a wise point that you brought up, and we have to acknowledge the political infrastructure that harmed us. We should maybe talk about this a little bit on the mini pod. I know we said leadership, but then we have love and I kind of feel like these two intersect the bit.
Speaker 5: So when we come back from this break, we're going to get into our calls to action. If you like that interview, though, please make sure you hit us with the five stars and like and subscribe. Take your mama, tell your friends, tell all of them. Hi, guys, I'm back. I would love for you all to if you watch this show on Juneteenth. By the way, happy Juneteenth week, Freedom Day Week for all of us. We would love for you to join us in Baltimore. If you're not going to hear this in time, because Tiffany will be mad if I don't say that you don't hear it in time, then please make sure that you log onto Stateoftheppo dot com and check out our more than thirty black papers Shout out to doctor David Johns, who's runn our black Papers Policy Initiative. Y'all, I printed everything out. We're at six hundred and seventy four pages and so take it in bite size. There's a reason why we release them two by two and three by three. We want you to slowly look at them all. They're very digestible, written for an eighth grade reading level. But still, if you don't feel seen or hurt, holler at us at hello, at STATEUFDEPPL dot com. And speaking of hollering at us, my other call to action is, we don't have nary a listening question this week, and Tiff is going to say it's because we haven't been answering and listening questions. So I want y'all to send in your comments and your questions. And if you agree with me that you trying to figure out how we gonna handle what's going on domestically. So you a little foggy about international affairs, holler at me so I know I'm not by myself that's on my CDAs.
Speaker 1: And then say I know why it's relevant.
Speaker 9: Or not.
Speaker 1: Maybe My CTA, y'all is when we make a demand, let's follow it all the way through times a conclusion so that demand might be you know, already decided, already declared. I know people who thought they knew the conclusion to some stories, uh, and so they let their foot off the gas. You just never know what can happen if you're if you are in this and if in case it's a mystery of FAMU is on my mind. Our HBCUs are on my mind. They may be in the positions of power to do what they want to do at this time, but I want to underscore at this time because so long as there is still time, there's still another battle to be waged. And I like, I understand, I'm a respectable person. I understand respectability politics. But when the moment shifts and our communities in our country like it has right now, I think our disposition has to shift as well. So I was just as folks, instead of criticizing the people who are going hard for their demand, that if you make a demand, that you stand in that demand and you fight like hell to see it met. The damn to be honest with you with respectability.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: I love that I had another call to action, but it's too long, so I think I might save it for the mini pod. And now I feel bad because the call to action I have left is pretty selfish because it's all about me. My call to action is my friend Jackie Reid. You guys, remember Jackie. It's like the first black woman I saw doing news for us by us, so I was a fan before she became a friend.
Speaker 3: But she is.
Speaker 4: She never tells anyone her age, so I'm gonna guess that Jackie's thirty five, even though that would make her ten years younger than me. But she looks amazing and she's into wellness, and she is a vegan, and so she has convinced me to try to go vegan.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I have not done it yet. I'm inching my way there.
Speaker 4: We both love love, love animals, and I'm just I've never been like a big meat eater anyway. So my call to action is words of encouragement, ideas for all of you all out there who are vegans. Have great vegan recipes, like how do you go through life without using any animal products? Which I'm completely open to. The One thing I think I miss immensely I would miss is cheese. I love cheese. So like, what do you do if you if you go vegan? Just give me any thoughts and ideas y'all have that vegan life because a lot of I love seeing all these black folks who are growing their own vegetables and these amazing recipes. Oyster mushrooms are so good, like all the stuff y'all are doing, So put me on game.
Speaker 3: That's that's my.
Speaker 1: Finding our restaurants when we travel. I'm good.
Speaker 4: I consider everybody's dietary preferences and so I am always happy to be in charge of food when we leave. Also, I'm trying to lose some weight, so the vegan, but vegan doesn't mean you lose weight.
Speaker 3: You can still.
Speaker 5: Heavy heavy on the carbs being vegan. Mostly I gained weight se because rise. That's it's hard. The protein pieces. Yes, they try to make me seem like you can use butterfly pee powder.
Speaker 1: You can. My mama raised me.
Speaker 3: I like, I like.
Speaker 5: Drink, But you're not about eats and cheap peas every day.
Speaker 3: It's I'm not. I'm not, this is true.
Speaker 4: But I do go weeks without fish, so I think I could give a fish.
Speaker 3: I just don't know what else like. I don't miss meat at all. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to y'all thoughts anyway. This is why I need you all to tell a friend about this show, because I'm sure there are a whole lot of Eagans out there who have not yet discovered native lamp.
Speaker 3: Pods game so they can put me on game.
Speaker 4: So tell your friends and for all y'all who do listen, please be sure. I know y'all listen, but make sure you subscribe because that way you get these episodes already downloaded in those phones. And when you pick up that phone and text that man, you know you ain't got no business texting and you see, oh you know what, never mind because it's a new episode of Native Lamp Pod. So I could listen to that instead of texting his dusty ass. You'll give me some encouragement in that area too.
Speaker 5: You want toes we see and keep your the non dusties, We love you. Keep your question Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, everybody, and Welcome home.
Speaker 4: New episodes of Native lamp Pid drop every Thursday. Thank y'all for jumping right on it. When it drops on Thursdays and Fridays. You can catch our Mini Pod and Solo pods on Monday and Tuesday is every other Monday for some I don't know, just check and see because the body, the body has taken over. But you can also also want y'all to check out other shows on Reason Choice Media. Check out My Girl Jamil Hills politics. I love Jamil. I think she's like the coolest person. I want to be Jamail sometimes I'm not even gonna lie like I want to talk about sports and I want.
Speaker 5: To be likedays sports expert. What do you think about what you think about the series?
Speaker 4: First of all, Lord, I did not know that there was a team in Oklahoma City, So this is yeah, until.
Speaker 5: This is you know Oklahoma City is in. You know who they're playing against.
Speaker 4: They are playing against Dick Cheney's Halliburton, who plays for the Pacers. And that's how I remember because I every time I hear Halliburton, I think of Dick Cheney.
Speaker 3: If you're not old enough, then you know what.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you about your sports expertise and why it matters.
Speaker 3: I'm getting up there, welcome home.
Speaker 5: You have a way of connecting people to other dots that they need to know about outside of sports. So when they get your sports expertise, there's this broader experience that they.
Speaker 1: Have generous with it. You're generous.
Speaker 5: Nobody asked. It's beautiful, but I love that. Normally, would I try to do get tipped with the gotcha questions? She's ready, So the Pacers said, Okasey, you know who's ahead.
Speaker 4: I do, but I don't want to ruin it for people who have it on DVR because they might not you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You're not wanting lines.
Speaker 5: Maybe they can just bet on you. You're a betting woman. Who you got in the series?
Speaker 3: Who has more poems?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 3: Who has more backing?
Speaker 1: Who y'all got down there? You got any bodies last week?
Speaker 4: I don't know I whoever? Whoever got the cutest single daddies.
Speaker 5: The fact that you said single daddy says just aged just out of this conversation.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Anyway, guys, thank you so much for tuning, and don't forget to follow us on social media and subscribe to our text or email us at nativeland dot com. We are your host, Angela Rice If and he crosses Andrew Gill, Welcome home, y'all. There are five hundred in two days until mid term elections.
Speaker 3: Thank you Andrew for talking to.
Speaker 7: The whole Welcome people, Welcome home, y'all, ain't welcome morning see.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives. Attention of what the info and all of the latest Roy Gillem and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, so grateful it took the execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend, and protect the truth even in paint. Welcome home to all of the natives wait.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.