Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. I'm your host, Rams's Jah.
Speaker 2: They called me q Ward mostly because that's my name.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, And it's been a long time since.
Speaker 2: Uh, we shouldn't have left you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, but I wanted to go I wanted to go there. I wanted to go there. But it's been a long time since you and I have sat down and done an episode together. Last week we had Liza's son and we had an interesting discussion on, you know, the relationship between the Asian American community and the African American community in this country. Prior to that, we had doctor Camilla Westenberg up on the show where we discussed critical race theory and what it really is and some some talking points that are being used to discredit it as an idea. And then prior to that, I think we had Queen Ya Najaha up who we stood in solidarity with our Native brothers and sisters and shared the platform, shared the stage, and she was able to let us know about some goings on with respect to our Indigenous brothers and sisters. And now you and I are back in the sabbath, so we've been productive, and I know you've been productive on your own. But man, it's a very different show without you, on a much better show with you. So welcome back to I don't want to do that too many more times, but stick around. We do have a lot more coming in that same vein. We're going to talk about COVID boosters and the way they're being received by the African American community. We're also going to talk about black church, which is not a subject that we get into too heavily on this show, but today it felt kind of important to reach out and or reach over into that subject matter. But before we get there, we are going to discuss some ebony excellence all win, no matter what. And I don't know if you've heard about this que but there's going to be some new quarters coming out. And you know, the way that we have developed our relationship with our currency in this country and with most countries is you know, we look at our currency and we see our presidents, and overwhelmingly our presidents have been white, and of our presidents have been you know, male, and on our currency. So Obama hasn't made it to a bill just yet or a coin just yet. But we've heard about the Harriet Tubman twenty dollars bill that they're still you know, working on getting into circulation. Well are there, Yeah, I heard that they reactivated that process now that Trump's out of the White House. But these coins, one such woman who will be on the coin. These are all women, but one such woman as Maya Angelo, the civil rights activist, poet, and author. And there are some other women that I feel like they deserve a mention as well. Astronaut Sally Ride, who's the first American woman in space, Wilma Mankiller who is the Cherokee Nation's first principal woman Chief, Adelina or Nina Otero Warren who's a leader in New Mexico suffrage movement. And Annamee Wong, who's the first Hollywood film star of Chinese American descent. So we have all those coins to look forward to, and not just Maya Angelo, although you know, we could do a whole you know, ebony excellence on her. We could do probably ten or fifteen on her alone. But it felt really special to be able to share this stage with all these women who have made their way to our coins. Obviously there have been other women on coins before, but this feels a little bit more special. Because it's the quarter, and we'll be spending that starting in twenty twenty two, and they'll release all the way up until twenty twenty five. Now onto our first order of business. Q. You've been vaccinated correct fully? Okay? And when you say fully, you mean what exactly?
Speaker 3: Single dose Johnson and Johnson shot to day Chapelle.
Speaker 2: And then the Maderna booster to follow that up.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So for me, I have all three Pfizers. I had the Pfizer for my first and second dose back in January, and then I recently got my Pfiser booster shot. And I want to get something out of the way right off the bat. Did you have have any side effects when you got your vaccine?
Speaker 3: I had every side effect okay, when I got the vaccine and when I got the booster.
Speaker 1: Okay, would you still recommend to other folks who are not vaccinated to get vaccinated.
Speaker 3: I got the vaccine first and got every symptom and every side effect. I then got the booster knowing that, so absolutely okay.
Speaker 1: And you actually had COVID before, right, yes, okay, So you have the lived experience of having COVID and the lived experience of having the side effects from the vaccination, and you still recommend the vaccine. Correct, Okay, I wanted to get that out.
Speaker 2: Of the way, which a brainwashed sheet.
Speaker 1: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Not here according to the internets, Well.
Speaker 1: Here we we have a more scientific approach to how things work, and we're not really given to conspiracy theories in the same way that most folks, or some folks are. I don't want to say most folks, because most people do have the vaccine. I have the statistics here. Same thing happened with me, except I never got COVID in the first place. I got the second my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. It took me out for maybe a day and a half, right, I got those symptoms, you know, and it felt like a little covid ish. But again, my body is fighting what it thinks is the COVID virus, and so all of those responses to defending myself against COVID nineteen, my body just assumes it's the real thing. And then I get all the symptoms. And then the same thing happened when I got my booster about a day and a half of you know, I got to take it easy, and then I was right back to normal. It came and it went just as quickly. But I want to say that because I want to own that part of the experience before we get into the meat and potatoes of this part of the conversation. You and I both know lots of people and love lots of people who are still afraid of the vaccine or otherwise have adopted one or more conspiracy theories surrounding the vaccination. Now, not everyone that we know that is we'll call them anti vaxxers. Not everyone that is like that is black. But in this case, in the case of black people, we do understand because there's been a very well documented history between vaccines and black people and the government and black people, and you know, looking through the lens of history, you understand how there could be some apprehension, some aversion to you know, getting vaccinated. Now, some of these concerns relate to how quickly the vaccines were developed, and this research comes from the Washington Post right here, how quickly the vaccines were developed, what their long term health effects might be. And then of course there's like some different information disinformation that we discussed earlier that just exists on the internet, like they have tracking devices, or they change your DNA and that sort of stuff. And then again with black folks. The one thing that we can and should I think point two is the Tuskegee experiments. It's okay to be a little bit apprehensive, It's okay to be a little bit concern right. The thing is, there's a couple of things with respect to the Tuskegee experiments that we have to consider. Did the government own it, did the government attempt to make it right? Did the government learn from, you know, its mistake? Did the government apologize you know, these sorts of things, because I think they matter. You know, it's hard to go back and then do the same thing again. If you've acknowledged, hey, you know what I did that that was wrong, or my father's did that that was wrong. We recognize that that's wrong. We're going to try to make it better. With that said, I do and always will understand any apprehension there. But you know, we can't ignore the fact that this is a life and death scenario. And I was talking to someone related to my child about my child, and I asked the question, you know, should we are you going to get him vaccinated? Or should I take him to get vaccinated because I know a place that will have the vaccines available before his school gets the vaccines. And this person who is related to my child, I have to use these words very carefully, said no, absolutely not. It's a government cash grab and a bunch of other stuff. What'd you say it's free. Well, I'm saying this to establish that this is something that is not I'm not talking about this in just general numbers. This is something that is happening and even happening to me with the people that I love the most, or with the person, you know, one of the two people that I love the most, the two people being my children. So this is something that is still very present and I thought it was worth us discussing again. So you know, we've discussed the Tuskegi experiments. We've discussed, you know, all the reasons that folks could have an issue with this vaccine. Now there is some good news. The racial gap has narrowed. After months of like poor turnout and you know, some folks not having access, particularly in black and brown communities. You know, the racial gap is narrowed. And that's really a testament that to the decisions that many states have made to send people to knock on doors, to have you know, conversations to kind of, you know, tackle these myths that exist about how effective the vaccines are and just kind of deal with those false equivalencies. You know, if everyone else has vaccinated, why do I need to get vaccinated? To that sort of stuff. But there is also a reality, oh real quick, there's roughly an equal share of black, white, and Hispanic adult populations. And to be specific, it's seventy percent of black adults, seventy one percent of white adults, and seventy three percent of Hispanic adults. So those guys are doing better than everyone, so good for them. And they've and all of these folks have received at least one vaccine dose. So that's seventy percent is that is where black people are, seventy one, White folks, seventy three Hispanic folks. But that still leaves a huge chunk of the population who are very much at this point having because it's been free for such a long time. It's really it. It suggested they firmly believe that there's something going on that they don't you know, want to trust. And yet, as we know, black folks and brown folks tend to be more susceptible to the ailments. And and you know, death is more likely of an outcome, you know, the darker you are. That's just kind of way it is. And with respect to most every medical condition. And what I what I wanted to tackle today again is the fact that there's a lot of people who are, in my estimation, these folks want to stir up trouble. I can't see any other reason why they would want to do that. They want to They're looking for things to confirm their bias, right. And I know these folks, I follow them on social media. These have been friends of mine for a very long time, and they've they've found their hill. You know, they're hey, you know that you're not putting that vaccine in my body. And then they're just saying all of this nonsense. You know, you know, once they've established you know, their stance, then they you know, spee all this nonsense to their followers. And you know, as we all understand, everyone has their own platform and is able to share things with their friends. Facebook is a huge stage for a lot of folks. But you know, Instagram and and you know, Snapchat and places like that aren't they're not exactly free of those types of conspiracy theories. So I wanted to say a name, but now that I'm here, I don't want to say this guy's name. But we'll call him West Coast Rapper. Okay, this guy's a rapper. He's had a couple of big hits, you know, back in the nineties during the gangster rap era. Good friend of mine and I get a kick kind of this dude. He's he's a very uh he has a very afrocentric approach to lots of things, and you know, sometimes he goes a little bit further than I'm comfortable following. You know, I really do believe that it's okay to be pro black. I don't think that it's okay to be anti any other color. And sometimes he kind of walks that line a little bit too recklessly for me for my tastes. But you know, some of the things that he shares in some of his viewpoints, you know, they're they're worth you know, taking, they fit you know, how I the world that I think that we need to create as brothers and sisters, and you know the other things I just kind of leave there. But and I haven't unfollowed him because obviously he's a high profile individual and you know, someone that really works for the type of career that I have. And then ever since this vaccination stuff has kind of taken center stage, this guy has just been firing left and right. You know, the government did this and these uncovering all kinds of weird stuff and these you know, this this person interviewed doctor Fauci, and or doctor Fauci was caught at this place doing this thing. You know, just kind of strange, bizarre things that don't have any relevance to what we're talking about here is And what it does is it either scares folks that haven't gotten around to get in the vaccine yet, or it further entrenches folks who've made their decision to not get the vaccine and we need to actively be working to save lives. One of the things that initially I thought I would be okay with is Republicans, you know, because it's one of the things that is really big in their world too, anti VAXX, anti mask, you know, really anti mask and anti vacs as a you know, as a tandem. You know, those two those two things are there, that's their left and right punch on. For black folks, it's more anti you know, I don't want the vaccine, you know, which, again, there's some context there, we kind of understand that a little bit better. For Republican folks, I feel like a lot of them feel like it's a matter of their liberties getting violated. So it's a different reason to say no, a different reason to be upset. This is my this is my estimation. I certainly want to hear your thoughts, But initially I thought, you know, well, you know, if these people really want to be that ignorant and they're going to end up, you know, dying or otherwise being affected long term by this virus, then that only helps thin the herd, you know. And once I got the sobering numbers of how many Republican votes have actually died because of this, and once I really started to look past, you know, my own ideas of what the world should be and all this sort of stuff and really start seeing that these are people who are susceptible to indoctrination and propaganda, the same as any people, same as any color, you know, then I started seeing those numbers for what they were, human beings who are no longer here, no longer have beating hearts, And then my heart started to go out to them as well. And I know that this is not that show, so we can't have that conversation, but I recognize that these people who are opposed to this vaccine are killing themselves. And you know the way that you and I fight, you we don't fight with fists because we're not boxers. We don't fight with I don't even know the many ways that people fight, but we're broadcasters, so we fight with microphones. So we talk about it, right, and you know, with the booster numbers coming out, you know it's sort of reintroduced. Okay, where are we exactly with respect to COVID nineteen and what are we going to do to get across that finish line? So those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting path to start down, especially when you spoke about people having their fears, their their questions. You've heard thousands, if not millions, of people say, I just want to do my own research, which.
Speaker 2: Is on its face ridiculous.
Speaker 3: You regular person that works at Target or Wingstop, or or that is a broadcaster, or that is a you know, you want to do your own research juxtapus what's the word I'm trying to say, juxta juxtaposition against doctors and scientists who have spent their entire academic lives and careers doing the research, right, Like, at some point it's ridiculous on its face. Then there's the idea that you are anti.
Speaker 4: Science and medicine, except when you get a headache, you take an advil Like it's just it's exhausting, because it's really an academic virtue flex it's not even real.
Speaker 3: I am taking up this contrarian position and flexing it at you.
Speaker 2: Like I'm an intellectual.
Speaker 3: I'm simply taking this position because it's the opposite of popular opinion.
Speaker 1: That's what I say.
Speaker 3: And I seem more woke and more open minded and more of a free thinker and not a follower and not brainwashed and all this nonsense.
Speaker 2: If I just take this position and hold to it.
Speaker 3: And the idea that people have to die so you can seem like a hipster intellectual on.
Speaker 2: The internet, angers me.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. Right, If you don't go to the doctor, and you don't eat processed foods, and you don't consum refined sugars and you don't eat meat, and you live off the grid and you don't use electricity and you don't watch TV and you're not on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Like, if that's your lifestyle, truly who you are, I have no.
Speaker 3: Issue with any of those decisions that you're making because that's who you are, that's how you live, that's how you think, that's how you behave.
Speaker 2: But we're talking about people.
Speaker 3: Who, if they contracted COVID nineteen and got sick, would go to the hospital. It's infuriating, and I think the reason why I get so upset about it is because the people that I personally know that I have taken that stance.
Speaker 2: I know that that's the reason why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: I think they're not doing their own research. These people haven't written dissertations. They wouldn't even know how to do proper actcademic research.
Speaker 2: Just googling something is not research.
Speaker 1: Thank you for saying that that's important to say. There's there's a quote I wanted to share. So quote. It's less about saying this racial ethnic group is more hesitant, more unwilling to get vaccinated, and more about saying, you know this group of people in this given area or community doesn't have the information or access they need to overcome their hesitancy. And this comes from Nelson Dunlap, who's the chief of staff for the Sature Health Leadership Institute at the House, the Morehouse School of Medicine. So yeah, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: What I think for RAMS is they do have the information, though right like, they're all of a sudden not trusting the source from which they've gotten this type of information for all of existence.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. So so watch this. What I think is we continue to have these conversations with these people and you know, prepare ourselves to address their conspiracy theories. I certainly have a battle on my hands and I'll be heading into it very soon, so pray for me. And then, you know, at the end of the day, we just know that, you know, like I said, we all have to get there and hopefully we don't lose too many of our brothers and sisters along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just it's it's unfortunate, but that's the reality of the situation.
Speaker 3: But if you can, and before we move on, because of the vaccine, we're talking about.
Speaker 2: People dying from this way ay less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the numbers have gone way less.
Speaker 2: But we're going to ignore that too though, because you know.
Speaker 1: The folks who are still dying are the largely the folks who haven't been vaccinated at all, and that is unfortunate. Stick around your radios. We're coming back with more Cify cipher right after this