Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. It's Tuesday, June tenth. The Ravens wrapped up another day of organized team activities after practice, we had a chance to hear from a few players and coaches. First up, Roger Rose Garden.
Speaker 2: Roger, after such a successful rookie season, what are kind of year two goals for years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, after last season, I know I wanted to immediately take a little time off, but it was immediately hit the gates for me personally physically getting in the weight room, getting.
Speaker 4: Faster, bigger, faster, stronger, and just.
Speaker 3: Building onto year two because now I know I got the ropes everything, and you know, just where my confidence in my play starts to really tickets next level steps.
Speaker 2: So how did you change its ait?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think it was a couple of dieting things when I went back to uh off season, and you know, compounding that with really good workouts and staying strict and disciplined for myself, and you know, I came back to you know, phase one, phase two of offseason as best as I've felt. So yeah, you know, I kinda I kind of lost a little bit of weight just to give myself a little bit more healthier after the season because I had some nick and bruises, but uh then kind of slowly started to put it on the way I wanted it to.
Speaker 4: So I'm back to where I've been playing at. So yeah, you know went viral.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, when do you stop being a nobody?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, actually I think last year I nobody was kind of a harsh word for myself.
Speaker 4: I'd much rather say, I know, I'm a rookie.
Speaker 3: But you know, just going into this year, you know, it's I'm gonna play way more, way more confidence, So gonna go and it's a lot of good teams, a lot of good players, So I'm excited for it. Response from Garrett kind of give you a feeling that you belonged here and and may give you that confidence.
Speaker 2: For the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely. It wouldn't only just uh Garrett. It is a lot of the other players you know that didn't get caught on film that U you know, just had interactions with so fellow offensive lineman and other defensive linement throughout the last season, you know, just stuff to build.
Speaker 5: On what was against liked in the city to that bull of the bols out.
Speaker 2: Like self of Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think my first play is in the NFL is not how you wanted to go. But uh, you know that just building on you know, starting from the bottom now it could get better. So I just wanted to build off that. And you know, I thought I did a really good job myself and bringing others with me on, you know, making myself better each day day and day out, and just that days.
Speaker 6: So kind of questions, he said, Look, across sports, we seeing the athletes.
Speaker 7: You give like a lot of like abus like online you have like gam and so you guys, and sounds like, yeah, have you chose.
Speaker 2: That personally in any way as other pleasures rookie year at college.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, it was I think it was more so college. You know, I had a situation in the National Championship. It was actually pretty funny. A lot of the betters would find my Venmo and Venmo requests me like you lost me so and so I thought I got a laugh out of it. So but you know, at the end of the day, you never want that stuff to happen. So you just got to make sure you're on your a game at all times.
Speaker 2: So does it feel like you're almost like helpless to get here, like you can't stop guy gonna line you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean that's what you sign up for. When you know, when you're playing at the biggest stage, when you're getting televised each weekend, week out, you know happens to everyone. So you know that's that's a part of it. And you know, it's a different, different eras my dad says that that I play and you know, they didn't have, you know, the cell phones back in the day, but now we're in the modern era of you know, if you.
Speaker 4: Play bad, it's probably gonna probably gonna hear about it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, at the end of last season, we were talking to you about the possibility that you could go to the left tackle. Obviously with Rannie signing, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: How thankful are you about just staying at right tackle and able to focus there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I remember I was on I took a small vacation with him my family, and I was texting Ronnie and calling him every day.
Speaker 4: I was like, hey man, I was like, left side's looking real good.
Speaker 3: Uh, just because you know, I thought we had a really good dynamic duo of me and him and bouncing off each other from left to right. So you know, I think it all played out at the end of the day and you know it's, uh, glad, he's glad he's back.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 2: What did you say to him when when you finally deal?
Speaker 3: I was more so like a finally. It wasn't like a thank you. It was more like a finally because I was bugging him so so much. So you know, I was trying to bring other teammate, other guys in the old line. I was like, come on, Ronnie.
Speaker 4: I was like, gotta get gotta get something done here. So and it ended up working out.
Speaker 6: So when you think back to like your first encounters with with a lot on Pittsburgh last year, how often you got help from a tight end or from a hip block or something. I know, like that is kind of a test in itself, But is you know, going from your one year through, just how much the coach is trusting you to leave you one on one against some of these high end pass rushers, is gonna be like to you a mark of just how much you've throwne how much these coaches trusted him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think trust is a big thing, you know, especially game planning. You know, the coaches have a plan within each game and each matchup. But you know, whatever the game plan is, whether that's me one on one or a chip block on the right or left side, you know, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Build my game plan towards it, and you know, just roll with it.
Speaker 6: I know it's early and there's.
Speaker 1: A ton of physicality in the blocking encounters right now, but what are you seeing out of the ed rushers on the other side of the ball, particularly and Mike Green?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know those are I know, Dafe and Mike.
Speaker 3: Mike's a newer guy, but you know, Dafe has been one of the better edge players in my opinion and the NFL. And you know, he's he's definitely shouted this this this OTAs you know, he came back bigger, faster, stronger. So you know that just as a testament to myself, and you know, I gotta I gotta raise my level as these guys get better too.
Speaker 4: So and and Mike's doing good too.
Speaker 3: He's he's picking up picking up off where where he came off in college.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they're both doing a real good.
Speaker 2: Jobs their area.
Speaker 1: In your game, in the year two where when you watched your rookie film, You're like, all right, you know, I did really well, but I feel like I can.
Speaker 2: Improve in this area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there was too many to list for me to you know, I'm I'm a super critical myself on being my own coach, and you know, I went back and through these this offseason phase. I've been watching every single game on and I take notes, taking notes on where I want to improve my game. So I wouldn't say there's one one specific thing. There's probably ten or eleven things that I can that guy I can list off. So yeah, good deal, Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Next up, Andrew Voorheats.
Speaker 6: George just said that the pressure was kind of off you last year as you could watch Patrick.
Speaker 2: Did you say that? Did that make you Vetteran? How do you approach that this year coming off of how that you played out?
Speaker 7: Yeah, last year was obviously an interesting situation. Uh, personally, you know, I just I went out there every day just looking to make the best of my opportunities. So obviously early on in the season that role looked different than as did later on in the season. But having a guy like Patrick McCarey had to me to look forward to and to lean on in terms of just maturity and an expertise all on the field was huge for my growth and development.
Speaker 3: It's not difficult for you, you know, obviously for injuries, it out, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of plays. Just how hard was that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it definitely was not favorable or something that you you dream of as a football player. But you know, going through what I went through my my red shirt years, as a lot of people referred to it as, I feel like it gave me a lot of perspective and and really gave me the opportunity to take a step back and look at things from a bigger picture. And so I think I was able to lean back onto that adversity as just kind of a cornerstone uh last year, and and I felt like I was in a good spot mentally throughout the whole process. So really thankful for that opportunity.
Speaker 2: Was the action that you got at the end of the year also important in that.
Speaker 7: Sort of give you a chance to prove yourself that you're developed. Every years absolutely, you know, go prove to myself, Go prove to uh, to you guys, Go prove to my teammates, my coaches everything, and uh just show that I that you know, you know that wasn't necessarily playing on Sundays at the time, right, I was still developing a practice being a great scout team player, giving our our defense opportunity to get ready for the games and all that. So you know, I was proud of my performance in that last game that I have to play in in Cleveland, uh, the last week of the regular season, and uh just look forward to building off of that and and just proving uh uh what I.
Speaker 4: Could do and there last week.
Speaker 2: But just some thing that most easy to know, another off season of.
Speaker 6: Your belt, Like then you feel much better than you did coming into camp last year.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I mean just physically more mature, mentally more mature, just more opportunity in the playbook.
Speaker 4: Uh you know.
Speaker 7: So a great group of guys in this room that we have right now, and and we all push each other to be the best that we could be best versions of ourselves. So that's uh, something that's super awesome that we have going on.
Speaker 2: You mention, not just like getting physically better, but the mental hurdle getting back out there in the grind.
Speaker 4: What would you say really got over.
Speaker 7: That you know, just a lot, I would say, just leaning on the other guys in the room, you know, and I just I said that I commended them and in the special UH bond that we have, and you know, I really do believe it's some special and unique about.
Speaker 4: UH US, specifically of tackle. Yea, that's tremendous player being better dude. Uh.
Speaker 7: You guys don't get the opportunity to spend as much time as we do. But you know, Ronnie's an awesome dude, and uh, you know, it's just when you get the opportunity to play next to UH an all pro player, kind of makes your life a little easier at times. So really stoked to see what he does, excited to have him back and looking forward to him this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're kind of a different question.
Speaker 6: So like for us, like all sports, can see like a lot of a like abuse online from like gamblers, and it was a bat.
Speaker 2: That started yell with them players. Have you ever exposed it a little? You know, and you've never seen a happy chance?
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, nothing, kind of stay out of that world. But thankfully I'm not subject to it. But yeah, no, I haven't ever been involved.
Speaker 3: Andrew, you've dealt with this a little.
Speaker 6: Last year we could talk about competition to be starting.
Speaker 4: Do you how do you approach this year, George?
Speaker 6: You just said he wants that one guy wants the guy that kind of be the clear winner.
Speaker 3: Like does that experience last year help you with this or do you kind of just regard as, look, I I need to go.
Speaker 4: Win the job.
Speaker 7: I mean good either way, right, I mean that always just wanted about there and be the best football player that you could be. And yeah, I mean to my perspective, it's just there's an open position out there for grabs, and uh, it's up to somebody, and so why not me? Right, why not anybody else for that sake? But yeah, I mean just kind of take it day by day and uh we'll just see what what uh what happens when it's all uh settles down and we get ready for a week a week one opener.
Speaker 2: Trying particular trouble by four. In the past, an average athletes have become too pullers who're like those men at first words, How I feel you think you can coach in terms of the pulling askt.
Speaker 7: Specifically, I mean just shout out to coach Monk honestly for uh, the design that he is, he's put together for us in terms of our our offense and stuff, and just coach Warhap just coaching us.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: Definitely feel like he prepares me and they put us in good positions to succeed out there. So definitely feel confident. And aspect of offensive line play.
Speaker 1: Last, but not least, offensive line coach George Warhop.
Speaker 2: Wonderful reduction in penalties in after week ten. Put it to the offensive line up in particular.
Speaker 6: We can talk about some of that, and then I also want to ask you if I take a distension between a pre snap foul and a declinable post snap foul.
Speaker 5: My gosh, this last year just was an emphasis, was an emphasis from John on down in particular with the holdings right number one with the holdings, and then as an offense with the pre snap penalties.
Speaker 2: So it was just just a point of emphasis.
Speaker 5: Okay, the rest of it, you need to talk to the head coach about that, because I don't pay that close attention to that stuff, right, So if they want to decline it, they can decline it. If they don't, they don't. Outside of that, we just don't need to be causing them. That's my mindset.
Speaker 4: Okay, Rose Garden changed from his Brookie year.
Speaker 2: Into this year.
Speaker 5: So far, there's certain things we wanted him to work on that we talked about at the end of the season last year and coming into this year, and he's so far doing that, uh, and it's gonna be he's helpful to him. He still has some stuff to work on, but the stuff we've talked about that was a major emphasis.
Speaker 2: He has definitely embraced that and it's changed. Can you tell us any of what he's been working on with uh? No, No, Georgia, you saw it. You were very much a part of the.
Speaker 6: We required, you know, with your advocacy for uh. Carson Vinzon, Just I guess how did he kind of catch your eye and what do you envisioned for him at you know, over the couple of years.
Speaker 5: Carson's interesting, alright, So he played at a smaller school. The talent level that he was playing against wasn't that great, and he was really just okay on his college tape. But when he went to the Senior Bowl and he was playing against better players, Uh, I liked how he competed and you got to see him going against guys his size, his t on a level. He wasn't perfect, but he competed right, and so that's what we need to see. We need to see guys with his size, his range, his length, and his ability to compete and not back down. So once I saw that and how God made him, uh, and there's not that many guys like that, I was like, if we have a chance, we need to draft them. So I just thought I needed to push as much as I could for him every time he came up so.
Speaker 4: Injury. I guess, what have you been able to do with him to make sure he gets as.
Speaker 2: Up to set as I said.
Speaker 5: One thing about Emory and both the guys Deli Deli from LSU, both those guys. This is probably the fifth or sixth kid I've had from that offensive line coach.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: They all come in well prepared. Emory's very smart, he's very engaged. He's plugged in. He'll get off to the side and try to do the stuff we're doing. Not he can't do what we're doing, but he can mimic it on his own. I've been most impressed with him and with Deli in the meeting rooms, just understanding what we're doing and there very very very close to being really good pro players in that regard.
Speaker 2: So do you feel like you've been encouraged by what you've seen in Ota so far? Too many full starts, so no, no, we got to be better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, A lot of discussion on the left guards, Bob, do you want one player to take that job or how do you envision that competition playing out?
Speaker 2: For the lawyers? I believe in a starter. I don't like playing two guys.
Speaker 5: So you know, we got two veteran guys here with with Andrew and Benn.
Speaker 2: Let them fight it out, right.
Speaker 5: If one of the young guys come in, you know, come up and they can add competition to that, we'll let that happen. But I prefer to have a starter and a backup. I don't like going in with combination guys. So that's my hope. What do you like about Andrew h He's continued on from what he started at the end of the year last year. I thought the fact that he got to sit when Pat took over being the first year player, it allowed him to kind of develop through the year. And when he had to play against Cleveland, I thought he played very very well. Uh, and so far this spring he's done a nice job. So I'm impressed with what he's done.
Speaker 2: What way does it?
Speaker 4: What does it all?
Speaker 5: Mass?
Speaker 2: Is the us really way? When the hope.
Speaker 5: Well, just no pressure, right, I mean we don't. People don't understand how much pressure there is to be a starter in this league.
Speaker 2: Right, and then when you're really, in essence, a rookie.
Speaker 5: Right, he was here his first year, but he was on IR so in essence, he's a rookie and he's going out there first time in this environment fighting his ass off to be successful. There was a ton of pressure and if you have one bad play depends on the guy, right, you don't know how long that's gonna linger for him. So when you're able to sit back and watch Vecterans do it, watch how they handle those situations, Okay, it kind of calms you down. So when you go play, you know, one play is not the end end, all right. I can overcome that and still play well in a game. And I think that's what he got to at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Do you might perhaps co Carson kind of said, he looks the the way you're containing kind of a tough love. The type of situation with m sometimes how do you s you've seen HIV given developed though, even if it was a mess.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, he's come a long way in the past couple weeks. One thing about Carson that's really impressive is number one, Uh, he wants to be the best version of himself every day. So when he comes out here, he's trying to get better from what he did yesterday.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then I I can crawl right up his stuff and he does not ever blink. He does not blink. You see him out there, he just kind of looks at me. Yes, certain, he goes on and he does what he's supposed to do. But you know, he's a he's a young kid, so we're trying to get him up to speed as fast as possible.
Speaker 2: So it's whatever means necessary to get that done.
Speaker 5: But I I I am really this whole rookie class we have here that they brought in. All these guys really do a nice job. They work, Uh, they try to get better game. I mean they're at all different stages, they offer m different spots. But I'm really really impressed with the group these guys brought in. Eric did a great job with that. He do is yelling through a guy cotin in the next center. Next year, we're starting to work here and read both Okay at center. I don't know if they'll get team reps at it, but with Delhi Plate Center at LSU, so both of those guys eventually will be pulling the ball in practice.
Speaker 2: So all right, thank you for no prop.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Raven's Press Past podcast. Make sure you hit subscribe and also head over to the Lounge podcast feed and subscribe there as well. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back again tomorrow.