Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up? And welcome to it could happen here. I'm Andrew Siege, I'm Andrew's I'm on YouTube, and I'm joined by James.
Speaker 4: It's me.
Speaker 3: It's nice to be back with you, Andrew once again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Indeed, indeed in a time of poly crisis, unfortunately, Yeah, the Hoesen crisis. People are pretty familiar with the lack of affordability of hoes in the way that hosen has been speculated upon, you know, the way that more and more people are finance difficult to get something as simple as shelter. Yeah, and it's particularly generational, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, Like I don't generally love generational discourse, but it is a marked difference for our generation compared to the previous generation in terms of Yeah, housing security.
Speaker 3: The data bears it out in terms of the age at which people of previous generations were able to get house in versus you know what millennials and our gen z are dealing with there housing is concerned. Yeah, absolutely, And then on top of that, we'll also lacking a lot of public spaces, places to gather, places to reflect the socialized game, to explore, to interact, to discuss. Land and housing and social spaces are really what at the heart of human survival. You know, we speak of the hearth as in that space where you know, humans were gathering. Yeah, but unfortunately that that ownership of that space has been concentrated in hands of a few people, you know, ritually EAT's and corporations, estate, and some cases still literal aristocracies. Yeah, I'm sure you're you're very much familiar with that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, just thinking about like the land I grew up on for people who were not privy to Andrew and I talking before the show. I just spent some time with the gwitch in people like in the very north of Alaska there, just in the sub Arctic, and someone was asking me like about like how I related to my ancestral land. I was thinking about it, Like, the village I grew up in was entirely owned by one family. They owned our house, in every other house, and my dad worked for them, and so did almost everyone else who lived there. Like, wow, an extremely feudal relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's unfortunately the experience of a lot of people through human history, or the extra experience of landlessness or homelessness. Well, homelessness is relatively recent, yeah, all things considered, but or paying extortion in rents, which a lot of people unfortunately would have experienced throughout that feuderal period into a capitalism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, for as long as humans have been humans, long before the states existed, and long after the states existed, people are going to stay where they want to stay. They're going to be where they want to be, right and at those take a couple all these laws and restrictions and property rights, all these things and criminalize a very natural human inclination, people are still going to do it right. And that's thing that people do is now known as squatting. Right, But it wasn't always so chastised and criminalized with that terminology before it was just you know, you find a piece of land, nobody else is living there, you go in and use that piece of land to survive. So today we'll be talking about issues with land ownership, looking into its history as a resistance practice in England, and seeing where a politicized approach to squadron could take us in the future. Oh cool, Crime thinks article on squatron was really helpful for this, so I'll link it in the show notes. Land ownership and governance are inextricably linked. Private property and land then the mooge out of peaceful agreements, but violence, wars of conquest, colonialism, slavery, and steed repression have been the true foundation of these now considered noble and official property titles. What we call ownership today is just violence legitimized by law, and it follows a very similar structure whether you're talking about feudalism and empire, land inclosure, colonization. Your start of the violence, it becomes officialized and then rent is extracted. This is not something that people took line down. Of course, people have long resisted it, you know, But this is why the government responds with the police and the armies to protect the landlords, and the people have criticized and have called out these practices. Thinkers like Ricardo Flores Margon and Alexander Berkmann, peterco Potkin mcunan. All of these hammered home the point of the absurdity at the heart of land ownership, the idea that some of they could just pull up somewhere, claim an area of land as theirs, and back it by soldiers and pieces of paper. Now, anarchists not in the business of fixating on just one system of domination or the other, because they're very connected. You know, landlords and governments and all the other authorities contribute to the system of domination that we all live under. Assander's core rights in anarchists squat in and land use. In the West, land ownership and government use exploitation and manipulation in a similar manner. Where a landowner builds a fence, the government erects. Where land owner charges rent, a government levies taxes. Were landowner advertises a vacant house sas not to waste it as an income producer. In property, a government encourages migration to those of its territories which are not producing adequate revenue. We are landowner evict a tenant, a government wages war against the population. Right now, in the United States, as we can see, the government is asian war not only against its indigenous population, its black population, but also it's migrant population and a few other populations. The list unfortunately goes on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the two are so tied, right that, Like in many parts of the United Kingdom, like as it was moving towards, like before we had a universal franchise right where people could vote if it were citizens, and over a certain age, they had a property owner franchise right, like if you owned land, you could vote, and if you didn't then you.
Speaker 3: Couldn't landed voting. Yes, yeah, and a sense that is still reflected in the way that the government operates today. You know, the landowners, the capitalists, they still have far outsized influence with anyone else, considering the laws and the policies that our governments carry out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And this is really get into the heart of it, because you know, we may have had the abolition of slavery and the abolition of selfdom, but in no way that the formal abolition of those things end exploitation at all. It has continued in new and old forms. You know, without the police and armies and laws propping them up, private property would collapse. But those things still exist, and it is through those things that the power to exclude, extract, and dominate continues throughout our society and continues to uphold violence throughout her society. You know, slavery may have been formally abolished, but we still find it in the prison system. So if they may have been formally abolished, but we still find it in slightly different forms with debt and the way that people are tied on by debt, and as long as that principle of extraction and exploitation and and rent is not dealt with, we will continue to see new forms and old forms bringing up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to play the devil's advocate for a moment, right and.
Speaker 3: See that Maybe you know, the problem is just the violence of its origins, the problem with land ownership and property. If it just came from violent origins and no other violence continued, maybe it could be excused. Maybe we could say, okay, well that's in the past and we can do stuff about that, but we could leave the system as it is. But the violence didn't stop with the way that the system originated. The violence continues, you know, as and as Core notes called ownership is enforced through eviction. You know, families are thrown out of homes, squatters beaten back by police, villagers raised to expand mining operations, et cetera. Yeah, and then these economic theft and cultural destruction involved as well, you know, because communities are uprooted and digest traditions are severed, neighborhood cultures getting raised by gentrification. And then all this dispossession drives unemployment because without access to land, people are forced into wage labor on the terms of capitalists. This is really how that rapid period of industrialization got started, you know, with the enclosure of the commons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just thinking about that. With the folks are with with right there. Their lifestyle is to hunt caribou. That is how they've lived for twenty thousand years. They also fish for salmon, but there are still some there are a fewer salmon due to climate change and the downstream effects of that. Right, But like they have their own land, a large portion of land. But it's the fact that someone in this case a Trump administration, could lease oil rights in other land which would directly impact their land. Because in this case, the Caribou can't carve if there are oil wells where they want to have their carves, right yeah. And so like it's not just that them having some land of their own does not provide a solution to the issue, which is that people can, under our current system own exploit and destroy a resource that should be common.
Speaker 3: I mean, it really highlights the absurd notion that you can just cut up land, right, yeah, exactly, but you can separate it by by boundaries and that its self contained and that we all the land and wars on the earth is connected, yeah, through all the cycles and systems. There's one big biosphere. Right.
Speaker 4: The damage done in one place will have an impact on another place. And I mean that's so very obvious to most of us now, but that our system of land ownership ignores that, pretend it doesn't happen, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Instead, we're upholding this ridiculous notion that you can maintain exclusive lordship, literal land lordship over a couple of acres of property and just do whatever you want with it because it's under your name.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, And that's that's your problem, because it's your land, and it's ludicrous, it's completely ridiculous to make that claim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And on top of all of these consequences, you know, we're also dealing with poverty and hunger because when people are producing lots of food, rent and mortgages continue to keep people in a permanent state of paying just to exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, And then this concentrated ownership of land and of property produces inefficient production and environmental degradation because property ends upsitting idle or was used to speculate, even though millions of people are in need of that land are starving as a result of lack of access to that land.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, because so much land gets traded around as assets, as property, rather than it being what it is, which is our commonwealth, there's no need for the owner at the point in time to really care about, you know, the quality of the soil, the impact on the ecosystems. They don't have to. All they're concerning is their only need is to concern themselves with profit.
Speaker 4: Right, Like, it's an asset to be traded, not a thing that has inherent value and should be protected not just because of its economic value, but because it's all that we can leave future generations.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, And I mean With all these issues of the land in mind, I think we can talk now about how people have resisted, particularly in England. Yeah, which is really why I want to talk to you in particular with this episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I'm excited to hear which which particular ifing you want to talk about.
Speaker 3: I mean, the story can begin in the first century, yeah, right, with the British tribes resisting the expansion of the Roman Empire.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We could also speak about the Diggers of the seventeenth century in England in massacred for trying to reclaim common Land.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: England has a very long history of land struggles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, and it's completely or it's not lost to us now people have reclaimed, especially that the diggers, right, but there are still commons to an extent, but they're nothing like what they were, right, Like, you can go to Clapham Common and just get great as a sheep if you wanted to. And it's really sad that we've lost that. We've completely as a nation like accepted that land is the thing that people can only shouldn't just be for everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I kind of see how that would get to the extent that it did. Because you know, it was the capital of the British Empire and in many wes, the British Isles was the laboratory where that sort of experimentation with the control of people and land got started and was then able to expand elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very much. So yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, there's a long timeline that we could go through, but I really want to focus on the all the ways the people have been squatting in England over the twentieth century. You know, after the Second World War it's no surprise anyone that Britain was going through it. Whole neighborhoods were flattened, housing stock was in ruins, and for the six years while the bombs were fallen, not a single new home was built. So people took matters into their own hands. You know. Across the country, families and veterans began to squat because they came home from the war and they had nowhere to live. In Brighton, a group of ex servicemen call themselves Virgilantes, led by the legendary Harry Cowley, started cracking houses for families. The spirit of it eventually spread like wildfire and abandoned army camps which were once beent for miolition soon became makeshift neighborhoods. By nineteen forty six, over forty five thousand people were squatted in more than a thousand locations, and I mean the government was concerned this could only lead to anarchy, but faced with tens of thousands of people who had self frehoused, the state didn't really have any choice but to step back, right, you know, direct actions solved an issue that their bureaucracy couldn't solve, and the pr of kicking out a bunch of veterans from homes was not a line they seemed willing to cross at that point in time. Was times changed, but yeah.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't have any fear of doing that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It is only English that were squat in in the UK. You know, you also had Bangladeshi immigrants that end up coming into the UK, particularly around the nineteen seventies, and the issue was that single men couldn't get council housing unless they had a family, but they could bring their families over into the UK without housing, so it's like a cash twenty two. They had all these rows of council flats sitting empty, rotten, and young men who wanted to bring their families over, can't bring their families over, can't get housing, what are they gonna do? They end up squatting. Right, Organizers like Terry Fitzpatrick, working with groups like Race Today and later the Bengali House and Action Group, opened up derelict blocks to Bengali families. Pelham House, for instance, which was slated for demolition, was transformed into homes for three hundred people by the end of nineteen seventy six. Over one thousand Bangladeshis ended up living in East End squads during that period, and eventually, through that taking that full step of direct action, they won. By the early nineteen eighties, the council caved, rehoused the squatters locally and they ended up getting to live right where they wanted to live. But unfortunately, as you might expect, this came with racist violence. In nineteen seventy eight, altub Ali was stabbed to death by three skinheads in Whitechapel and there's now a park that was renamed in his memory, where the history of his people can be remembered and live on. Beyond the English Sandi Bangladeshi immigrants, you also had another marginalized group that took on the tactic of squatter in Brixton. The Gay Liberation Front took over houses along Rilton Road and Mile Road, creating a network of communal homes which shared the gardens, and as you can imagine in the seventies, eighties and nineties, you know, this was really a refuge, you know, for queer people dealing with isolation and hostility from their families, from their communities. These squats ended up becoming places where they can find love and solidarity and theater and radical politics. Raylton Road was also home to black radicalism and black radicals squat in in that territory. Ol of Morris and Liz Obi's squatted in the nineteen seventies and resisted multiple eviction attempts and their space evolved into Sabah Bookshop and later the anarchist one two one Center, which lasted until nineteen ninety nine. Now, this intersection of black queer and squatron created Brixton's reputation as a frontline of resistance police harassment, racist violence, and neglect would boil over into days of rioting in Brixton in nineteen eighty one, and amidst that chaos, the Gay squats of Realton threw open their doors, even dragon tables and chairs into the streets for a kind of riot party, a mix of drag and defiance. And through all this these squats allow people to survive. They became places where people could experiment with alternative living, even had some people declaring independence. There's a space in West London called Frestonia which is sued to own stamps and had a two year old as Minister of Education. Yeah, and then you had other squads ended up becoming seeds for future cooperatives and social centers and even some businesses for this goal and age of squat and kind of came into a decline by the nineties and two thousand sons gentrification and new laws had to tighten the screws. You know, streets like Barrington Square or Saint Agnes's Place which were once thriving squatted communities were cleared up. You know, the law was changed to make could unquote adverse possession harder, so long term squatters could no longer as easily claim ownership. And then sitting councils like Lambeth Council began selling off properties that it had ignored for decades. Evicting people who have been living there for decades, raising families.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess post Thatcher, like when they could sell off the council houses like that massively contributed to the decline of working class communities, right, and then Britain went through this extreme neoliberal turn in the late nineties with like New Labor and Labour's entire thing came to be punching down on the young people in the working class. So like it lines up with our general political.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 4: I was a teenager at that time, right, I remember how bleak it felt to be, like all the time getting this like oh cool britann you know, you know, like Britain is having its like renaissance as this like like like outside of empire, like as a cultural capital or whatever. Meanwhile people are struggling to get by and people fighting it hard to put food on their table. It was just such a I mean, looking back, it was the way things were going to be for the rest of my life, at least up to now, I guess. But at the time I remember it being such a jarring experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it's quite an interesting quote unquote end of history, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, yeah, it's just the the end of caring. Like it was just such a yeah to be to be told that we'd like perfected human existence. Meanwhile, racialized violence was on the increase, right, Like people were struggling. We like had become more connected and aware of each other struggles. Like we could see people around the world, not just in the UK struggling, right. We saw the communities that like my parents grew up in, just gut it by the withdrawal of the failure of the industries that were there before. The whole town's with like no reason for existing anymore. And then to come on top of that and have like, oh yeah, but it will cost you more just to exist in this town which is shit now and there's nothing to do, but we're going to use all the power of the state to try and extract every penny that you have.
Speaker 3: Lets just squeeze everything out of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just a bleak vision going home now. I just see the continuation of that decline line of like some of those towns you know where there's no particular reason for people to live there, and it's where they're from and it's where their community is. But it's getting harder and harder for them to live there. And you know, the industries that used to at least give people a chance to like have a dignified life there are now gone. Get the ability of land laws to extract you know, mega landlords now right, These giant corporations building these generic homes all over the UK. It's still very much there, and the state has doubled down on supporting them and completely refuse to support its own people.
Speaker 3: Yep, in London, as and else where, the state and the capitalist market of hand in hand to really eraase our autonomy, our independence, our ability to live and to value. Yeah, you know, ivan as places like Berlin and Amsterdam and Copenhagen had some leaps forward where Squadron was concerned, you know, legalized housing cooperatives and that sort of thing. Particularly in London, that was the opposite of the case. You know, things got harder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like Britain led the charge in like this kind of particularly cruel and callous neoliberalism right from the from the nineties to today, like with absolutely no concern for the well being of its people. Even Yeah, you would see it going to continental Europe, you know, compared to living in Barcelona, which I did later, like squad still existed. People economically things were equally dire, right, if not worse. Spain had a really rough time as fifty off two thousand and eight, but like the communities hadn't been quite so destroyed by the state as they were in many areas of the UK.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't want to paint a completely dark picture of London, right because there is still and I can struggle, there's still radical social centers. They're still yeah, yeah, squat, and I mean some squads end up being temporary, you know, short lived social spaces and centers. Speceis to help organize or to protest or to you know, create comment culture.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like it's not Yeah, I mean I've made London sound like some kind of like blade renal thing, which is not by any mean that I've not spent a great deal of my life in London. It's too much city for me, that's fair. But I do, like I enjoy visiting friends and their projects there and that kind of thing. And I think even post COVID there's been some resurgence. It's difficult. I don't want to suggest that things are not still extremely difficult for people trying to make it ends to meet because they are. But like people are aware of the concept of mutual aid who may not have been before, and that's been good. Yeah, there's still our squad to struggle. There is still people fighting very hard to like live a dignified life and secure that for other people as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and that's that's really what I want to highlight. You know that what Squadron represents really is you know, you know, both a struggle for necessity but also an example of where I imagination can take us. You know, our resistance does not have to take on the same old forms of protests and to devoid per see. Right, there are things that we can do as ordinary people, whether we're black, whether we're gay, whether we're a Bangladesha immigrant, a veteran, as an ordinary person, you could you can also you know, take on the right action to create homes, resist racism, build communities and fight the state.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Like I think about a lot in Greece, right where anarchists have squatted places that were built for like the era when people could come from northern Europe to Southern Europe to spend their money and then avoid the winter. And since you know, general economic decline that doesn't happen as much. And now people have squatted those hotels to allow migrants a dignified place to live, right, Yeah, that's it's a really beautiful project. It's envisioning another world literally in the ruins of the old world exactly. I think it's a really beautiful thing that people do to you know, take that action to address not just to protest something, but to say, like the system which deprives people of even a safe place to live, even the dignity of being able to sleep in it under a roof at night, Like, we are going to take action that strikes at the roots of that to ensure that we give others that the dignity that they deserve. And that's really special.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Agreed. And I mean I don't want to romanticize squat in as you know, just a easy way of life. It certainly is not. But to a quote crime think the lesson of history is that in times of hows in deprivation, people squat the empty is the fact that this has been made illegal. There's not blind people to the empty buildings or to the use of squat and as a tactic, the crack speaker in Amsterdam East promotes the slogan what neat mag khan knogsteats what is not allowed is still possible forgive my terrible Dutch.
Speaker 4: Yeah mine's not much better. Yeah, I like that slogan a lot. Like I think the issue of homelessness in the United States in particular is something that like I think about a lot because I travel a lot. I remember sitting in a cafe in Kurdistan and i'd just been I was outside of just walking around, and some people invite me to join their dominoes game. So I was playing dominoes, you know, like practicing my terrible Kurdish, and these guys were asking me like is it true that like people, and like they were especially interested in, like the veterans who have been US soldiers, like sleep on the street in America, And I was like, yeah, that's the thing, like and they're like, why, what's the deal with that. I know the answer is that we have enough houses for everyone, but we've just treated them as a commodity to exchange. Right, We've been told that people can't live there, even though there's space for them to live, and even though it's actively hurting them living on the street. Right, it's such a condemnation of the situation we're in as a society in need.
Speaker 3: It is, what does the future look like? You know, none of us can really know. Yeah, but maybe we can sketch some outlines of how we can approach lanues differently. We could look to the past, and that's common traditions of the past as inspiration for what might return. And we could look to our own imagination of what the future can look like as we refuse domination. We can squat, of course, to show the cracks in this concept of property. You know, we can collective eze and collectively organize spaces for farming or production. You know, we can really, really could do any number of things. I think the guidance thread there has to be equity. Yeah, you know, it has to be recognition that nobody has a right to land. They don't use that absentee landlordism is something utterly absurd and can be rejected out right. I think we can also consider the non human in our approach to land in the future, you know, considering the the rights and responsibilities we have toward animals and plants that live in spaces that you know, should have their own existence beyond human utility. There will always be conflicts about how we can use these spaces and also how we might resolve these disputes. But I think it is clear that whereever there's somebody who attempts to monopolize land by force, we can respond adequately. I think the tactic of squatn is one small, unfinished but necessary step towards a future where we reject property, where land is shared, where domination is abolished, where we as a human community and as a living community, can free decide together how we live on this earth. We'll just have to see that's it for me or power to all the people this has When it can happen here, I'm Andressage. That is James Stout and peace.
Speaker 7: Hello everyone, and welcome to it could happen here. My name is Dana al Kurd, and I'm a writer, analyst, and researcher of Palestinian and Arab politics. I'm an associate professor of political science and a senior non resident fellow at the Arab Center Washington. I'm recording this on October nineteenth, twenty twenty five. Negotiators from a number of countries and Israel were in Cairo recently discussing the next phase of the ceasefire agreement between Hamas and Israel. Hamas has since released all remaining Israeli hostages, as well as the bodies of those who were killed, and Israel has withdrawn from certain parts of the Gaza strip and started to release political prisoners as well as the bodies of Palestinians who have been killed after they were detained since October seventh. Some of the testimonies from these prisoners is just incredibly heart to stomach. The degree of the humanization that's been allowed to take place in these Israeli prisons, the torture and abuse that they faced is truly truly harrowing. Some of the Palestinian bodies that have been released are mutilated with extreme signs of torture. Some were released blindfolded and cuffed, returned with a noose around their neck. Greta Tunberg, who was on the flotilla recently trying to break the siege of Gaza, just also returned from Israeli prison where she was also abused and stripped and mistreated. She said in a recent interview, if they do this to a white person with a Swedish passport. We can only imagine what they do to Palestinians. And of course we are seeing this play out before our eyes. In a fair and just world where international law meant something, there would be consequences for this. Instead, today I want to talk about this plan that's been proposed by the Trump administration, the twenty point piece plan for Gaza. Reportedly, ex UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has been consulting with Trump and his son in law slash advisor Jared Kushner for some time hashing this plan out. We'll get back to him in a bit, as he's quite the character. This plan, as the name suggests, has twenty points, but it's a little light on details. It outlines the return of remaining Israel hostages very quickly, within seventy two hours. It says the Gaza strip needs to be quote demilitarized. It talks about the creation of an international stabilization force, an international security force to operate on the ground in Gaza with the eventual withdrawal of Israeli troops, but within a buffer zone, and this force would consist of soldiers from other countries. It also talks about the formation of a quote technocratic a political Palestinian temporary government to run the Gaza Strip territory until the peace process is concluded. But this temporary Palestinian government would only be allowed to engage in service provision, nothing more. That government would also be overseen by a quote Board of Peace run by Trump himself, his pal Tony Blair, and other yet unspecified members. There is some language on the economic development of a quote new Gaza, and some discussion of initiatives to promote tolerance, essentially to deradicalize Palestinians. Notably, the plan does not endorse ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from Gaza, which was wildly a serious thing on the table for a few months that Trump endorsed, but what it does say is still pretty insidious. Essentially, the plan says that a possible pathway to Palestinian self determination and statehood is conditioned on advances in quote Gaza's redevelopment and a quote Palestinian authority reform program that is faithfully carried out. Only then, the plan says, quote, conditions may finally be in place for a credible pathway to Palestinian self determination and statehood. Basically, if the Palestinians do good, if they comply with the International Security Force, if they take orders from the Board of Peace and quote reform the PA in some way, and what that means is a really big open question, then maybe their demands for self determination and statehood will eventually be discussed. As I've said before on previous episodes, that statehood part is a bit tricky because statehood means different things to different people. Apparently, Jared Kushner talked about maybe giving Palestinians a state without the annoying little detail of actual sovereignty is really prime minister that signed the Oslo Accords. Yet Zakrabin, which was the first time Palestinians and Israelis agreed to anything, directly said after signing that Israel would only ever give Palestinians something quote less than a state. The international community keeps recognizing a Palestinian state when the Palestinians don't really have control of any territory. It's like, is the state in the room with us now. It's also important to note here that the plan that Trump is proposing doesn't really include any Palestinian input, at least meaningfully. The goal from Israel and the US's perspective is for Hamas to be removed from the equation altogether. There's some discussion actually still of whether they will actually disarm or not, because Hamas has said to the media that it's not considering this. And as I mentioned, there is this throwaway line about reforming the Palestinian Authority, but what that means and how the Palestinian people actually factor in isn't addressed. Here's my educated guess. When Trump, an Israel, and the international community say they want to reform the PA, we have to look at what they've been doing and pushing for in the past couple of months to understand what that actually means. So for them, if we look at their track record, reforming the PA means figuring out an acceptable alternative from their perspective, to replace the octagenarian Palestinian President Mahamud Abbas, so that the PA can seem on paper more legitimate and better positioned to sign away Palestinian rights during future negotiations. They've already been pushing behind the scenes to set that up. They pressured Abbas to convene the Palestine Liberation Organization Central Council, change the bylaws, create a vice president position, and appoint the guy that's acceptable to the US and Israel to that role. That man was sena che Palestinian businessman and former security guy who polls at two percent with Palestinians. What reforming the PA does not mean it looks like, is actual democratic reform where Palestinians can choose not only their president but also on their legislative representatives and on the PLO legislative body, the National Council. It looks like reforming the PA doesn't mean all Palestinians will be allowed to participate if limited elections are held, and it seems it doesn't mean responding to what Palestinian civil society has been asking for, which is reforming the PA by reforming the PLO altogether so that all Palestinians can participate in the discussion of national liberation. We can guess that the US, Israel, and the international community quote unquote are unlikely to offer any of this because they've propped up the PA in the past and seem on propping up some puppet government of the PA in the future. But they need the PA, as some acceptable Palestinian entity to be even tangentially involved in future negotiations so that they can say, look, the Palestinians agree to this is legitimate, even if that PA doesn't represent people. Even if most Palestinians eighty five percent in the latest poll are dissatisfied with the PA's conduct and forty two percent support the the solution of the PA altogether, this is a dangerous game to play. Any sort of peace process in the future, as impossible as it seems at this current moment, that isn't predicated on the complete annihilation of one side of the conflict, will need some degree of public support. It will need societies involved in this conflict to buy into the process. Otherwise you get spoilers, you get political actors engaging in violence to disrupt the peace process, or you don't really resolve the underlying issues in an even compromised, satisfactory way and people get upset and the conflict continues. So, if you don't include people's buy in, what you're banking on is being able to suppress people, and what you want isn't really peace. It's authoritarian conflict management. It's illiberal. It maintains structural violence in the name of preserving peace. It means Palestinians wouldn't get the rights they have under international law the right to self determination, and it means the occupation in some form doesn't end.
Speaker 8: The thing is.
Speaker 7: This is well understood and it's well understood by the people involved in this twenty point piece plan for Gaza. Tony Blair, for example, was Prime Minister of the UK when the Northern Ireland conflict was being negotiated and settled. He understood then that public buy in was important. The Good Friday Agreement, which ended the conflict in Northern Ireland for the past twenty seven years, had not one, but two referendums, one for the people of Northern Ireland and one for the people of the Republic of Ireland. The process of getting to the Good Friday Agreement also included all groups militant groups from both sides of the conflict. This is what it takes for a conflict to be contained in some shape or form. But for some reason, when international leaders or ex leaders in the case of Tony Blair, think about conflicts in the Middle East involving Arabs, then public buy in, democratic processes, sustainable peace no longer factor into decision making. The buy in an opinion of the public matters, But apparently only certain publics. In other conflicts, also, like the breakdown of Yugoslavia, the perpetrators of genopocidal violence were held accountable by international They were taken to the Hague. They faced repercussions, of course, not perfectly, not entirely, not everyone. Some parties of the conflict that emerged in Bosnia after were rewarded for their violence. The vision of the Serbian leadership that committed war crimes in Bosnia came to fruition to some degree in the form of Republica Serpska today, which is a semi autonomous region that divides Bosnia Herzegovina. But nevertheless, the international community at least understood the necessity of holding perpetrators accountable for violence and war crimes, even if the execution was incomplete. In this case, there is no such discussion. A number of human rights organizations and the UN Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory have found Israeli leaders President Isaac Hertzog, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and then Defense Minister Yuav Gallant personally responsible for the decisions made in Gaza, the decision to engage in genocide in Gaza, but the ceasefire plan, which they are billing as a quote peace plan for a new Gaza and they're trying to make the basis of future negotiations, says nothing about accountability for crimes committed. Trump, in fact, went in front of the Kanesset, the Israeli parliament, and insisted on his support for Prime Minister Nataniahu. He even got involved in Natanyahu's corruption case that he has domestically in Israel. Addressing President Isaac hertzog As Kanesse members clapped and jeered.
Speaker 8: Hey, I have an idea, mister president.
Speaker 3: Why don't you give him a pardon.
Speaker 7: That's what we're dealing with here, Just an audacious, outrageous display of corruption on so many levels. The fact that these guys are the guys putting together the so called peace plan quotes poorly for the sustainability of this ceasefire agreement beyond the first phase, beyond Israel getting what it wants the hostages a huge buffer zone that leaves Israel in control of Gaza's former urban areas, and possibly they might get the neutralization of Hamas, it's not clear that this ceasefire agreement can actually advance into a sustainable negotiation that maintains peace in the long run. It's why scholar Marika Sosnowski at the University of Melbourne, who studies ceasefire agreements in particular, calls this a strangle contract. She notes that Israeli withdrawal, release of hostages, and full aid being led into Gaza is the quote bare minimum you would expect both sides to acquiesce to as part of a ceasefire deal. She expresses concern that this agreement is highly coercive and that it quote enables the more powerful party to force the weaker party into agreeing to anything in order for them to survive. This is in direct contrast to a bargain between two equal parties that can sustain peace. She also very rightly notes that Israel could at any time claim the Palestinians are not abiding by the terms of the agreement and and the ceasefire, justifying restarting the war. The Palestinians have no leverage at all in this agreement, and obviously they can't rely on unbiased international mediation with the Trump and Kushner and Blairs of the world. At the helm of this Sisnowski quotes a Palestinian leader from Yermut Camp and Syria, who said to her quote, if there is a ceasefire, people know the devil is coming. I think that captures exactly everyone's fears in this moment. The Palestinian Civil Defense Agency says forty Palestinians have been killed in Gaza today October nineteenth. Children have been shot and killed in the West Bank after the ceasefire agreement. Israel raided the family homes of Palestinian prisoners in five districts across the West Bank before releasing them. Nataniehu has said he won't open the Rafah crossing. These all seem like Israeli violations to the ceasefire to me, but that's not how it'll be reported. And because the Trump administration has twisted the meaning of words, where domination equals peace and injustice equal stability. Once this happens, I fear very few will question the premise of this agreement and the entire peace process to begin with, a peace process for Palestinians aren't even allowed to participate. No one can be surprised when this doesn't last, and no one can be surprised that this cannot be the basis for sustainable peace. But Hey, I hope I'm wrong. Thank you for listening to this episode of It Could Happen Here. Here's Hoping for Justice and Peace.
Speaker 9: Welcome to Ake It Happened Here, a podcast that has increasingly become about tariffs in the second Trump regime. I am your host, Miil Wong, and oh boy, it has been a big few weeks for tariff news. We have tariff numbers on China that I'm not even going to bother to actually record right now because by the time this goes out, the numbers will probably be different. There are supposed to be major negotiations underway between Trump and the Chinese government to attempt to come to yet another trade agreement and stave off yet another round one hundred percent tariffs. Now, if you want to follow the sort of blow by blow of what exactly is going on, I'm going to just sort of refer you to my section tariff talk on Executive Disorder. However, com we need to take a deeper look at what structurally is going on in the global economy that is resulting in the demand for tariffs in the first place. And I think the place to go if that's the thing that you're trying to figure out. And we've talked about the sort of ideological aspects of this in other episodes. We've talked about the ways that the sort of politics of fascism, the politics of anti semitism, the politics of masculinity lead people towards these extremely ulternationalist policies that are specifically supposed to sort of protect the domestic blood and soil national industry and are supposed to protect material goods over services. But there are things that are happening structurally in the economy that make it such that people would consider things like the tariffs that have been happening under this regime as a solution to things that are kind of structural problems of the economy specifically. And this is what we're going to be focusing on today. Over capacity and steel. Now, some of you may be asking, Mia, why are we talking about steel over capacity? And I think there's a few important notes here. One, steel is in some ways emblematic of American tariff policy. It is I guess you would call it the most material of the tariffs, in the sense that it's the one where there's the most actual direct sort of material forces and direct lobbying groups asking for these specific tariffs. The American steel industry has been lobbying to some extent for some measures kind of like this. Steel is also one of the industries whereas as tariff rates are fluctuated and got up and down and whole waves of like Liberation Day, tariffs got put into place and then removed, and some of them we got put back into place a little bit. The steel tariffs were set at fifty percent and they've stayed at fifty percent since they were set. Basically, there's been a little bit of variation sort of before the final fix percent number was arrived at, but the steel tariffs have been one of the most stable tariffs. And the reason why it's been this stable if people can think back all the way to twenty eighteen, which I know that was a long time ago, but there was a miniature trade war between the US and China in twenty eighteen, and significant portions of it were focused on Chinese steel production specifically, and you know, this is one of the sort of fights that was had out. Nothing really structurally changed much from those. There was kind of a back and forth and then both sides kind of pulled back. But Comma, that's not happening this time. And what's interesting, and the reason that I was specifically talking about steel here is that it's now not just Trump that is tempting to institute large scale tariffs on steel. The European Commission for the EU has released a proposal to double tariffs on imported steel up to fifty percent, which is matched in the US, and also reduce the amount of steel that could be imported into the EU without paying any tariffs at all. And this is actually massive because this is an example of the EU effectively following US trade policy for very very similar reasons as the US. And if we can get to the bottom of what is going on here, and I promise we will, and I promise this will go towards something that is explaining really truly the macro dynamics of the entire global economy and why it's fucked. If we can actually trace out what's going on with these steel tariffs, we can do that. So let's talk about steel. Over Capacity as a concept is sort of convoluted. You know, you have to sort of ask the question, what is the quote unquote correct amount of steel? Because over capacity, you know, implies that there's capacity to produce steel over the amount that should be produced. So okay, how do you figure how MU steel should be produced?
Speaker 4: Eh?
Speaker 9: Very nebulous. It's also very difficult to measure because, okay, we're gonna try to measure steel over capacity. There's a lot of ways to do it that rely on things like utilization rates. Right, So you look at the steel facilities, you see how much they're being used at. You see how much you know excess capacity there is, how many how many factories are sitting empty one percentage of factories, you know, total outputs being used. This doesn't work because the utilization rates of these factories of this fixed capital varies seasonally, for example, and it varies due to not just the season, but a whole bunch of other factors, things like you know, labor supply, weather demand pulls, and of whole munch of other factors. Utilization rates of steel producing facilities are very rarely at one hundred percent, even in Marcus where demand at shrip supply. And this makes it very very difficult to measure China's actual quote unquote overcapacity. I am not going to even really try to give numbers because it's extremely subjective. How do I say this based on the research that I have done. I think the numbers you normally see in the West are inflated because they are not accounting for things like the weather, because it is in the interest of sort of Western research institutions, but for example, Western financial institutions, specifically steel companies, and they're sort of like allied China Hawk, you know, sort of like academics to have the number be as high as possible. You will also see numbers from people who are tied to Chinese government, And when I say tied to, I mean kind of in a loose ideological sense. In the same way as the China Hawks are, the Chinahawks tend to actually be more directly connected to the US government. Their numbers are probably also too low. But I don't want to give you the impression that I have a extremely certain understanding of what the exact number of millions of tons of xsdo production is happening. What we can sort of agree on is that there does seem to be some kind of overcapacity in the Chinese economy, right, and this is something that the Chinese Communist Party also agrees on. If you go back to a document that really really few people in the US have ever seen to have heard of, which is the wonderfully titled Opinions of the CPC Central Committee and the State Council on further Promoting the development of Ecological Civilization, which was one of the founding documentary Chinese environmental policy and the ideological sort of underpinnings of this thing called ecological civilization, which is the basis of Chinese environmental policy. One of the things that they mentioned a lot is specifically overcapacity. Right, They are actually very concerned about the overcapacity of steal from an ecological perspective. And this is sort of fascinating because we'll be looking at some scholars later who are favorably quoted in Chinese state media's sources describing how there isn't actually overcapacity because states say different things in different places, and this is in fact extremely common. But there does seem to be some kind of overcapacity, and the Chinese government was to some extent making attempts to reduce it during this sort of period of trade war. Now, the other issue we're talking about overcapacity is that overcapacity is an extremely political issue now, right, It's extremely weird because the Chinese seal over capacity is like my most niche thing that I've studied. I've had like a paper on this sitting in a drive on my computer for over half a decade. I have never brought it out until now. But it's become an extremely political topic because the different theories of stealover capacity have become a basis for a lot of genuine trade policy. Now. I think a very very interesting book at Chinese stealover capacity is from the book Understanding China's over Capacity. She's written by two Chinese economists that I think is a really interesting literature survey. This this is around bout twenty eighteen. But I think what's interesting about it it's from before the period where everyone in the West had sort of decided what they think caused Chinese steal over capacity, and so you can go back. You know, it's not just useful to sort of go back in time and look at the other theories that were sort of floating around academia before or a few of them got specifically selective for ideological purposes. Now, I mentioned earlier, we'd be talking about some economists. You don't think that's Chinese steel over capacity is real, that's these people. I think that part of their thesis is not very good. I think their survey of the literature on overcapacity, though, is very good. And one of the very interesting arguments they make this doesn't argue with a couple of other economists that has sort of disappeared from the literature is in argument about, okay, so there's steel production that's happening that doesn't need to happen. I think it's pretty fair to say that something is over capacity if it's producing a bunch of steel that sits there in rots because no one can sell it, which is a thing that happens with Chinese steel. And one of the most interesting theses that has really been abandoned, even though I think it is actually to a decent extent explanatory of a lot of very very weird stuff that happens in Chinese policy circles and a lot of just very baffling investment decisions, is specifically something about local caudras and their performance incentives. So, okay, something that's very important to understand about the structure of the CCP is that Chinese government institutions are sort of run by these caudras, right, and so if you are, for example, I don't know you are the mayor of a mid size city, right, you get performance evaluations and those sort of yearly performance evaluations. Sometimes there's less frequents than that, but those those performance evaluations rank you at sort of how good you're doing your job. And obviously there's political maneuver rank here too, But if you do a good job of hitting your targets, this is your path to advance upwards in the party and be moved from you know, like sort of running a small city to like being brought into caudra in larger cities, and you know, moving your way up the part, moving national positions. These evaluations are extremely important. You can also get sort of busted down if your evaluations suck. Again, there's also what politics are too, But these evaluations actually do matter. And one of the issues with these evaluations and these are also policy making implementation tools, right. You know, the central government can decide what kinds of policies they want to pursue, and then they can use these codure evaluations to make people at the sort of local level who are usually semi autonomous in ways that I think is not very well understood in the West, these countrare evaluations are ways to try to ensure that Chinese sort of local and provincial government policy kind of aligns with national party policy. And the waiting on these examinations is such that it has very very weird effects. And what I'm specifically talking about here is that GDP numbers are very very important to these codure value and it matters that it's specifically gross domestic product because GDP is a very very weird number, and there's a lot of stuff you can do to sort of juice GDP numbers that aren't really necessarily beneficial to an economy. So you can have a bunch of firms that are basically unprofitable or doing something that's like not particularly economically or socially useful, and that can still boost GDP numbers. And one of the things that happens with this is that you can boost GDP numbers by making a shit tout of steel that nobody actually really wants or uses. And because of the priority that's set on GDP numbers specifically, and there's also a whole bunch of these sort of weird financial games that you can play that's also played a major role in the way the Chinese housing bubble has played out and the way that the government has been unwilling to sort of you know, and when I say the government here, I be in both the national governments and also sort of these lower level governments have been unwilling to sort of let a bunch of debt bubbles that they've accumulated pop because those things prop up GDP numbers, and the incentive on the local level is to keep these numbers up. This used to actually be one of the things that people would talk about when they talked about Chinese steal over capacity. But it's complicated, like you can't very very easily explain this to you know, like a right wing congress person and have them go, oh, yeah, right, this is unfair to the American market, and so it kind of has like fallen out of favor and sort of like the explanation to steal over capacity you see in places like the New York Times. But I actually think this is one of the things that does, to some extent cause Chinese steal over capacity. Now do you know what doesn't cause Chinese steal over capacity? That's right, it is the products and services that support this podcast. So I wanted to talk about the local quadra explanations, because I actually think these are kind of important. And I want to talk about one other argument that's also not really used much that used to be a lot more common, which is an argument that Chinese economist makes that one of the reasons that there's overcapacity in Chinese steel production is that upwards wealth distribution leads to lower levels of consumption and thus over capacity. And so what is basically means and this is something that I think is actually also a thing that's the best structural problem in in the Chinese economies, that the Chinese economy is extremely highly unequal and wages, you know, like they have risen to some extent, but they're not rising anywhere near you know, like we've everyone in the US have seen that famous charge of productivity versus like labor gains, right like wage gains versus prouctivity increases. Wages in China have gone up, they have absolutely not kept pace with sort of productivity growth, and they also absolutely like have not kept pace with the amount of the profit being produced that is going to a very very small number of capital owners. And this actually to reach the structural problem, and this is we're seeing a very similar structural problem to this in the US, where there is a lot of consumption that if that money wasn't just all going to a bunch of rich people, people would actually be spending it on things, And particularly in Chinese context, the argument was that if if there was a better distribution of wealth, people would buy more houses, and this would actually reduce over capacity because suddenly a bunch of the slack capacity would be being used to like build houses, except people can't afford the houses. And this is a structural problem that like economists sort of note about for decades and decades, which is that China has been for a very long time. The whole thing was that they were trying to transition into a consumption economy, which is to say, they were trying to transition into an economy that was fueled by its own internal consumption. The US is to a large extent sort of kind of works like this, where you know, you want to increase the level of consumption and the amount of stuff that people in your country are buying, and this is a way to sort of like create a middle income country, right And China has historically not been able to do this, and haven't been able to do this because they won't raise wages. But you know, if they won't actually raised wages enough to increase people's consumption levels, then you're left for structural overcapacity because demand is being lowered because people don't have any fucking money. Now, this is another argument again and I think is also probably correct that is very much not talked about anymore because the argument that is used in in sort of understanding what's going on with Chinese seel capacity is about the Chinese subsidization of state owned enterprises at the expense of sort of private firms. And the argument here basically said, the state is propping up a bunch of unprofitable enterprises and they're holding sectors of the economy that should be you know, taken over by more efficient private firms, but they can't because they're being subsidized by the government. And this is sort of true, but this became a massive geopolitical argument because the argument from the American side, and when you hear anyone talking about steal of capacity, now this is the argument that you hear right, which that China is flooding the world with cheap steel because there's a whole bunch of like Chinese state own industries or just like Chinese businesses are just getting money from the Chinese government to produce steel and they're pumping cheap steel to the rest of the world. And this is not really I mean, like kind of this is happening, but it's also not the reason why there's large scale steal over capacity. And of course the argument is that China isn't competing fairly in the market, like this is very silly. Markets have never worked without large scale state quote unquote interference, Like American companies also get extremely high level subsidization et cetera, et ceteracy, all of US coregn policy. But you know, this is the political imperative that's behind a lot of the rhetoric coming out of steel producers and out of the American right about why there should be terrocists on steel. Now there's a problem though, which is that all of these arguments are very specific to China.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: The argument is that there are specifically steal over capacity in China because it's something structurally specifically wrong with the Chinese economy that's like makes it not a free market, and because of that, China's like unfair competing global market. And this is why there's so much over capacity of Chinese steel. This is wrong. There are individual parts of this where yeah, like there are things where there is excess capacity being produced by quadre evaluations and by to some extent like so we subsidization. However, Comma, there's a problem. And the problem here is that over capacity and overcapacity and steel is not just a Chinese phenomena. It is a global phenomena. It has been a global phenomena for a long time, and it is largely a product of the fact that we do not live in a global economy that can actually support the amount of production capacity that exists in the world. This has been a problem really since the seventies, and arguably even since the sixties, where as countries rebuilt from World War Two, and as some some sort of developments in global capital that we're going to be sort of like talking about soon happens that the product of all of this is that production has And this is kind of the thing that the sort of fascist right kind of intuitively understands. Production has become zero sum, right, It's very difficult to increase production in one country without having it, you know, affect production in the countries there isn't enough demand in the market to sort of like fuel all of these things. So why is there not enough demand to fuel the amount of supply that would be that would be necessary to make there not be over capacity. The answer to this, in sort of marketing theory is that, as they sort of put it, over production and under consumption are doubly constructed. I'm going to read a quote from end Notes, volume two, and then we're going to explain a little bit what that means. The wage allocates workers to production and at the same time allocates the product to workers. So what that means is that under consumption and overproduction are in effect the same thing, right, Because the way that we allocate workers to what thing they're going to do, and at the same time allocate products to those workers is the wage, which is one thing. So overproduction and under consumption are the same thing, right, and they're caused by the same structural elements of the wage relation. Now, this means that the Chinese capacity crisis is actually part of a larger crisis.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: You know the thing about the double construction, you know of overcapacity in unter consumption. Right, the fact that they are really the two things that's unified in the fact that, like your wage allocates what kind of productions you're doing and what you can consume. The fact that both those things combined are realized in this sort of secular crisis in what's called Marxist absolute general law of capitalist accumulation. So what the fuck is that the short version is? Over time in capitalist economies, there's supposed to be an increase of what's called the organic composition of capital. Basically, there are composition of capital is a way to measure how much in the pro labor process. It's like fixed capital, variable capital, so it's like how much factory is there relative to the amount of worker there is. And Marxist thesis, which has generally been born out, although we'll talk a little bit about that more later, is that this composition is going to increase, and as it increases, accumulation also needs to increase in order to maintain employment levels. This is sort of accomplished by things like automation, which reduces the size of the labor force, and thus, to quote and notes again, as accumulation proceeds, a growing superabundance of goods lowers the rate of profit and heightens competition. Across lines, compelling all capitalists to, as Mark said, economize on labor. So basically what this means is like as as capital gets turned into more capital and larger amounts of capital, this is the accumulation process. As this continues, right, you get this massive sort of increasing the amount of goods that are being produced. Eventually that lowers the rate of profit in a sector. And eventually what that does is, you know, in order to sort of economize on labor, capital increases the amount of automation reduces the amount of people that they need in the labor process. You know, this is what what's generally known as automation and the sort of crisis of people getting kicked out of the draws because of it. As this process is sort of generalized across sectoral lines across different parts of the economy, the relative demand for labor decreases and workers are spin out of the wage re line, which is the fancy Marxist way to say that become structurally unemployed. And you know, the thing that happens when you get kicked out of the capitalist wage relation is you get kicked into informal labor and slums, which you know decreases demand and increase overproduction. At the same time, over capacity is skyrocketing, right, because you have increasing numbers of people who have been spat out the formal economy who no longer have access to regular wages. The wages they get in the informal economy are less than the ones they would get in the formal economy. And as we were saying write, access to like the wage, both determines production and consumption. So if you lose access to the wage, right, and there's still more stuff being produced because of automation levels, what you get is a massive, skyrocketing double increase of overproduction and under consumption, right, because there's just not enough money to fucking buy the stuff. And the result of this is a miseration. Everything gets fucking worse. This sort of used to be an academic argument. It is no longer an academic argument. It is just the terrain on which economic policy unfolds. Now. The miseration thesis is this is you know, as a sort of like general law of capitalist accumulation is called has been argued about constantly. There have been ways that has been avoided. One of the biggest ways traditionally has been by capitalism sort of transforming goods into services. So for example, like the operative example of this is the transition in the US from rail lines to cars on something that points out, So you know, you get these new industries that are both labor or capital intensive. By replacing train with car, you know, you can absorb huge populations of workers as well as incorporate the peasantry into the industrial economy by sort of like converting these things into services. This has sort of been what the economy has been increasingly converted into a service based economy of various kinds. That's kind of what's happening now, you know, and you and you can see this process that work in the Chinese economy back when it was you know, really growing in the nineties and two thousands. But you know, once the peasantry had been absorbed as sort of both a new market and a new labor force with lower cost of production because wages are cheaper for a bunch of structural reasons, the old tendencies of capital set in. And so what happens inside of China was what was happening everywhere else in the world, which is that as labor saving technology begins to be implemented and you know, a bunch of services refused to be turned into new goods to like bolster the ranks industrial working class. You know, you get what's happened in the US, which is this this full transition to service economy shit that doesn't actually really grow. And you know, if if you look, if you look at Chinese growth rates, like they've been slowing for a decade, actually a little bit longer than a decade. And so you know, as China was integrated to the global economy, it too became caught in this cycle of industrial booms where you know, you get an industrial boom where you have a country with favorable exchange rates, the stallar that inevitably sets off, you know, the economies of the bad end of the exchange rate to collapse as they're forced to bear the way to global lower capacity. As as I've mentioned one hundred billion times on this show, it is the one thing I will make sure every it could happen here listener will be able to explain the Plaza Accords and the Reverse Plaza Cords. You know, but this is sort of this is sort of what the Reverse Plazai Cords and the Plaza Cords were about, was the US. This is the last time the US tried to, you know, use its just sort of like pure political power and military might to be like, eat shit, I'm going to force all of your countries to fuck with your currency so that our manufacturing economy will come back. And again, the US did that successfully and the Japanese economy collapsed because we'd needcap Japanese economy to do it right. And to some extent, Trump is attempting the farce as farce version of this with with these steel teriffs. Right to some extent, these tariffs are his attempts to pull the Reagan maneuver of Okay, we can just like force other countries to lower their capacity and increase our capacity at their expense. The problem is that, again, this production is zero sum, and if you do this, it will annihilate the rest of the global economy. And this is the sort of context behind all of the stuff that we've been seeing for the last like thirty years, which that actual profit rates have been collapsing for ages, and right now we're in the middle of a just unbelievably hideously staggeringly massive bubble that is maintaining the sort of last like fake vestiges of economic growth where billions and billions and billions of dollars have been sunk into all of this AI bullshit, and it's you know, like the tech driven AI is a significant specifically, specifically the AI stuff is a significant portion of total US economic growth. If you want to listen to why that's all going to go to shit, turn on effectively literally any episode of COOLSI and Media's own Exitron's podcast Better Offline and you will you will hear a lot about this. But you know, this has been that, like tech has been sort of the escape strategy of the United States. Traditionally, it's going to implode, it's going to do tremendous damage to everyone. But in the remains of that, and in this world in which profit rates are declining, and in this world in which increasing portions of the population are being spat out of the capitalist production cycle, in which increasing percentages of the world population are being kicked into an informal economy, and in this world of generalized overproduction under consumption, what's happening is that there is an enormous effort to get everyone to think that this is because of very specific tendencies of like the bad government over there, right that you know, over capacity and steel. Oh, it's just because the like the evil communist government in China is cheating at capital by giving their companies money, and so we're gonna do tariffs on them instead of that. And again, like it's easier for these academics to make this argument because there is kind of stuff going on, right, because there is this sort of cadure evaluation stuff, because there is to some extensi a subsidization of steel production. They can present this boogeyman to sort of pin what is really a global overproduction and under consumption crisis onto just you know, it's just as government we don't like. And then you can sort of implement these ultranationalists tariff policies. It's a way of deflecting the blame from capitalism onto another country and using nationalism to paper over the actual economic contradictions of capital. And if you want to escape that, it's not enough to sort of just get rid of Trump and go back to the previous retrade regime. You have to actually structurally change the thing at the center of all of this, which is the wage relation.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: You have to fundamentally change the fact that this economy, the entire economy, is based on there being classes of people who make money from owning things, and that there's an entire class of people whose labor is stolen every single day so that those other people can make money by owning things who do all of the actual work. And that's what's actually fundamentally at stake here. It is this question of are we going to continue to do tariff bullshit or are we going to take power from the people who caused all of this? From Trump, from Elon Musk, from all of the billionaires, from feel from all of the tech billionaires that funded them, from all of the Republican Party Cook Breathern networks. Are we going to destroy these people completely by getting rid of the social relations of capital that make this all possible. Or are we going to to sit here and let them continue to produce AI videos of them shitting all over us while they take all of our money and commit an ethnic cleansing and continue to fund genocides abroad.
Speaker 4: Hi, everyone, and welcome to the show. It's me James today and I'm very lucky to be joined again by eric A Mesa, who's the Borderlands coordinator for the Sierra Club. Eric, how are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing okay, Jans.
Speaker 4: Thanks for us for the invitation, Yeah, thank you for joining us. Sadly, we don't have a lot of good stuff to talk about right now. It's pretty difficult time in the borderlands. But maybe we could start off with something that I've reported on briefly in our weekly news show. The Border Patrol is currently soliciting comment for its plans to build for the wall through the out Tide Mountain Wilderness and other areas west of Tikati, right, could you explain a little bit about what they're proposing and what consequences that will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, hi, everybody so happy to be here and not so happy to be sharing the news. But so what the announcement was recently by the Border Patrol, especially on the San Diego area, is the announcement of the approximately nine point seven miles of new border barrier system and on top of that, over fifty one miles of what they call now system attributes and this is going to Kabacuche impact on the area. This is going to be about two point nine miles west of the Cut port of entry, going through an area that it is very remote mountain region and some of people and this are more familiar than I am. I've actually never been, but I've been talking to some of the local organizations, the new humanitarian aid in the region, and I know the Tekate Peak is in that area, and then you start going west into these beautiful mountains that are also the birthplace of the Tepana River. That's exactly the area where it's going to go. So right now, CVPS accepting comments and asking people in the community what kind of concerns do they have concerns in regards of the environmental impacts of a project like this, what kind of social and economical impacts? So they open up this section on their website with an email address where people can share some of these concerns. As you mentioned, and part of an environmental organization, but we also have all kinds of concerns for a project like this, including the border barrier and the system attributes, which are very poorly described for what they mean. Some of the things that they mentioned as system attributes is the increase of lighting, infrastructure, surveillance equipment, and new roads for access for border patrol vehicles. So one of the things that we're going to expect that we have seen in other areas is more blasting through the mountain, especially on areas where the mountains is so uneven the terrain, there is a lot of heavy machinery it has to come into those places to start bulldozing to level the terrain so they can start building this border wall. So we can expect some of that, and with that come a lot of issues because there's going to be the need to start drilling wells at the border to extract the water from mixing the concrete for the foundation. If there was any road out there, they're going to probably widen the road two or three times to allow this. Having machinery to access these remote areas, this is just going to be the beginning, just setting up the panels. But whenever you go to these places and start disturbing the native soil, you can expect all kinds of consequences in regards so invasive species of plants. You can also expect so floating and removal of native vegetation. In some cases, there is some species that are rare on the area that having these impacts you know, can be long lasting for them to be able to recover. If they're able to do so the area on the south side of the border, there is also an area where animals need to be moving back on course, so species like the native mule deer, a colony that leaves there. There is a mountain lion and other species of mammals pre much everything that is for inches, why it's not going to be able to make it do that border will Yeah. So yeah, we're just raising these concerns and sharing with the community so they're able to also as well. And an email to CVP crostoms and water but no and express these concerns and also to remember that these areas have been sacred size for the indigenous communities Diamond Memorial, so we might lose some very sacred sides for the tribes forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I know the topic ta cut the mountain has been sacred to Kumiai. People believe it's Tuma in Kumiai, but it's been sacred to them for as you say, much longer than this has been the United States.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 4: You and I have both seen it in different places.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The damage that the border will does not just to people. I've seen mule deer running along it like trying to the clearly trying to find a way through. Right, this is habitual pathway. There are some areas near, very very near the boarder, like within one hundred yards of the border, where there are naturally occurring creeks and little ponds which will hold water at a time when water can be very hard to come across here. And so I've seen deer kind of distraught almost trying to get to this place where they've obviously learned that they can get water, but now they can't. It's really heartbreaking, on top of all the other cruelty that it does. I suppose we should address, Like I'm not sure how much we can accomplish by the comment period, right, but it has value nonetheless, like trying to do something, I think it has value. It shows that we didn't let this just happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I honestly am not very hopeful from those common periods because this is not the first time they're asking the community to provide input, and with past experiences that we have organized in all other areas, other segments of the world, even in all states, we haven't get a response even or an acknowledgment of these concerns. So Dalva itself is really concerning, but I think it is important that the communities around these areas are aware about this and they get involved, and that there is this community sentiment against this abuse of power that the administration continues to do, and the border lands and using them as the sacrifice zone as these testing grounds for what can potentially continue to happen or expand not only on the border but in other series, like we are seeing with the span of militarization nowadays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, like all the stuff that is really bad in America right now, like it started at the border, that's right. People are seeing it in their communities now, but like we've been seeing it where we live for a long time. Can we talk a little bit about there's been some other construction right then, with San Diego is not the only place right now that there's a significant Dieditetree allocation to construction a border barrier, and there's more construction east of San Diego.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's that's right. Most of the construction that is happening right now, it was with all funding that was from the twenty twenty one funds that were available since the first Rump administration, So we were hoping that that was going to be like the end of the funding. But since the proposal and passing of the quote unquote big beautiful Bill, we've got to remind ourselves that now the administration has allocated forty six point five billion dollars for border security, and that includes border barriers and system attributes, so pretty much anything related to border security right now, they have the funding to do it. They pretty much out the funding to put a double wall across the whole US Mexico border. Yeah, so that's that's huge. You know, In recent days, we got a new wave of contracts that were awarded. In October ten, we got this announcement that out of this funding, the forty six point five billion, they are located for a little bit over four billion, and this will fund them two hundred and thirty miles of new physical barriers and four hundred miles of surveillance technology across the US Mexico border from California New Texas. That's and they put up a new section on their website where there is a map you can navigate. It's an interactive map that shows every single section of the border and what they're planning to do with and as surreal as it sounds, they are planning to double up the wall. So in some places, in remote areas in the desert, like in organ Pai National Monument or Caveca Prieta in Arizona. In those areas, there is plans to build a secondary wall. So on top of the thirty food barrier that they have, they're planning to do a second one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have that semi seedarl right, we have a double thirty foot barrier.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Biden administration used it to corral people seeking asylum. Right that they kept them in between the two walls and then denied that they were in detention. I don't know if we'll see that again, but like I guess just from my own experience, you know, participating in util aid along the border, like those remote desert areas are where people go. When we build wall in Otai, right, when we continue to detain and turn people back in less remote areas, they will take the risk of going to a more remote area and forcing people into those remote areas and then constructing barriers there too, is just going to cause more deaths. Said, it's not going to stop people trying to come because there are things that they are living which are terrible, but it will mean that they get stuck out there in the heat without water for longer rain.
Speaker 1: That's correct game. So exactly what you said people in San Diego in like the border in Otai, you already have the double walls, so you know, like having this hyper mac miilitarized area and how that is going to expand and the consequences of that is, as you mentioned, you push people out further more remote areas, and two things happen by doing that. First and most important, more people die. But also remember that these areas, like these remote areas were also like semi priestine wildlife environments that you never had humans moving through before. Now, as people have been pushed to these remote areas, you have this human traffic and not only migrants moving through, but you also have the border patrol chasing these migrants. And now you have border patrol wanting to build new roads to these wilderness areas. And all of these just gives building up into what's already a very fragmented landscape. So by adding all these quote unquote system attributes, because you're pushing and pushing people further and building these doggle walls, it's just going to end the last of the remaining wildlife remote migration corridors as well. So the impacts that this is going to help are huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for like all living creatures. As you said, let's take a break, Eric, we'll come back and talk about it small. All right, we are back. Let's talk about like how people are organizing right like at this time time when it does seem really bleak at the border lands, Like the Trump administration didn't really construct very much war in its first iteration. It did construct a bit, but not as much as it wanted to. And you and I are both very familiar with the consequences that has had, right Like it has caused more people to die. The Biden administration continue constructing and quote unquote repairing border barriers. They also pioneered outdoor attention, and like it just seems like things with whoever gets elected, but more rapidly under Republicans get worse. What are people able to do? When We've spoken about this a lot on this show, but I'd love to hear your perspective too.
Speaker 1: It's been hard, honestly as a person working on environmental issues in the border because definitely, like the losers are much more than the wind sometimes, so that can be dis hard to end. Yeah, there has been some glimpses of hope. I think one of the things that we did here in Arizona that was definitely felt really good and gave us some hope is when the governor of Arizona decided to put some chipping containers and make its own makeshift wall. So a bunch of people really came together on the community outrage because this was just some really dumb idea and one of the most remote, beautiful areas where there is not even people moving through and it was just going to destroy the environment. And the governor went out there and spent two hundred million dollars of taxpayers money to buy these shipping containers and build this border wall. So we were actually all the community came together, We show up out there in the and stopped the machines and we said no, you're not going to move any further. And because what they were doing was actually illegal, we were able to get away with it. Those chipping containers are gone right now. Still, Arizona taxs payer paid two hundred million dollars to destroy their own environment just let that same thing we can be using that money for much better things. So I think that president and that movement, that sense of community that was built after that resistance, it is, has continued after that. Like there is a lot of self organized grassroots efforts going on for border resistance, you know, and that encompasses humanitarian groups, environmental groups, and we are also organizing nowadays here in Arizona to do some direct action, try to show up to the center of a valley which is where the border construction is going, and started raising some national attach to this issue, trying to invite our politicians, start invited our our native communities to speak out and using different methods such as art performance, bring up some different strategies together. You know. Now with the technology that we have available, is that how can we make these more mainstream and tell people across the nation what's going on and these remote areas. You know a lot of people a lot of connection to this valley, and this is the headwaters of the Santa Cluz River, the lifeblood of many communities across the southern Arizona. And at the same time, on the other side of the coin, you know, there is all the oppression by the government to anything that is against their will. So a lot of people feel a little bit afraid of showing up to direct action. Yeah, so it is it's just walking that fine line or what can we get away with and still be able to make a ball statement and show opposition without putting people in danger.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I think that is something a lot of people are really worried about. But it is important within the realm of things that we can do to show our opposition to this and to stand in solidarity with the animals and the indigenous people whose sacred spaces are being defiled, right and with migrants whose lives are being put in danger by this. I wonder, like, I find it so strange. I guess that like we're at a time when reporting on migration is becoming like like a major growth industry. I guess, editors who I could not get to respond to an email or pick up the phone for the last four years and now commissioning pieces of migration. But there still seems to be like a blind spot about the border in the American news media. I don't know why that is. I don't know if you have ideas about why there is, But the borderlands are such a special place for me anyway, you know, I've spent nearly twenty years of my life here. Some of my favorite places in the world are near the border. I think people think of the border as like Santi Zero, but it contains some wonderfully remote and special places. And I wonder if you have thoughts on why, like the border isn't something that gets talked about that much on a national level.
Speaker 1: I think it does talk about, but unfortunately the narrative, the digitian build around it is really negative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair, and of course that's.
Speaker 1: With that intention, right, continue to build up this militarized state or sacrifice zone. And so whenever I talk with people that is here for the first time, you know, I do these group presentations for delegations that come from all over the to experience the Borderlands region, and they're like they have all these perspective, you know, for what they hear on the news about how horrible this is, and then they come here and they're like, Wow, people here is like really nice and we have a great experience, and I really inspire and it's like coming with this pre fabricated narrative on their minds of this wasteland sacrifice zone, you know, like and then going out after experience and yes, some of that, of course, if you go out to the to the border and experience the wall and the rolls and rolls of concerts in a wired to make it look like you're in a war zone. Yeah, the plows what you already have in your mind. You know, it just keeps building up the intensity. And then you hear the stories from people, the struggle, from my grants and stories from back in twenty twenty three when we have the search of migrants coming and all these things, you know, but at the end, people leaves with glimbs also like, wow, this place is really beautiful and a lot of wonderful things are happening, a lot of movements of people trying to organize and make it a better place and trying really hard to shift this narrative. You know. The borlands provide us a good opportunity, you know, because what we see today, like a friend of mine said, it can get worse, and it's going into that direction. Yeah, yeah, it's going into that direction. But at the same time, it gives us an opportunity as a society, you know, because whatever happens at the border is definitely going to have a ripple effect in the rest of the country. So we are able to figure out a way to shift that narrative and look at the border like like people that lives and experience the word there and the culture of the beautiful things that the border has to offer. Then we hope that that's going to help change a lot of the things that are happening in this country. You know, but we need to start I think organizing from the bottom up. Yeah, a lot of grassroots therefore need to be happening, and I think a lot of media needs to cover this. You know, we usually don't cover the good stories.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, you're right. Like it's funny that the right does cover the body, right, or that the you know, the Fox News kind of cardre does cover the body, Like I don't like the way they cover it, but like, the only national network guy I will see down there is the Fox guy for the most part. And the one thing I like to do with my friends, or like if someone comes to visit, you know, sometimes I have other independent journalists come visit to walk down to the border wall, and it seems very bleak, right because there's this big wall and it's covered in constantina wire, as you say, and maybe they are Marines or National Guard or Order patrol or any other leg it's people with guns right in different uniforms. But then if you turn around, you're in this really special place where you don't see the people and you just you can appreciate how beautiful it is. It's also very beautiful that, like you say, there's so much bottom up organizing, that there's so much people helping people of all different kinds. And that's something we also are in twenty twenty three, when Title forty two ended and subsequently the Biden administration detained people outdoors, like we saw an incredible community response of all different kinds of people of different political persuasions, different faith groups, which was a really beautiful thing. Like it's a thing that a lot of the rest of America right now I could learn from the government was brutalizing people, and people made that less bad. They kept them safe, and they'd been a lot more people who didn't make it throughout all attention if it wasn't for community support, like I want people to see that. I wonder if people want to support right, let's say they're not in the border lands. Can you think of good ways for them to be in solidarity, for them to even to experience like I know a lot of people who listen to this have come, like It's really wonderful for me to meet people when I'm not working, when I'm just out there in my capacity as someone who cares about other people, right doing water drops, doing mutul aid with migrants, or helping people at street release. To hear of people who listen to this and then decided to come from wherever they were and spend some time here and help, Like, that's a really a special thing. But you have other ideas on how people can can be in solidarity and can come and help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, again this question where we are and from different people that comes to busy. I usually recommend people to start with they are, you know, in their own communities, because there is reflections of border issues in your own community. There are people that are migrating that are might need some help. There are people that shelters and all these or just kind of only get involved with your local whatever you're passionate about. You know, it doesn't really have to be an environmental issue, but we are remember and social justice and environmental justice is the same thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we really like whatever you're passionate about, just getting involved, But I think the worst thing that we can do right now is just doing in order the fact that we are in a bad spot, you know.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people just want to continue writing their comfort song wave and it's that it's gonna end, you know. And I think we need to not only think about ourselves, but we need to think about the generations coming ahead of us. And I think it's especially for the people that us already had the opportunity to somehow live a life, you know, but there are somes that are about to start a journey, and I think it's our responsibility to make it the best as we can for them as well. So whatever you're passionate about, and if you really want to and you're passionate about order related issues and you're not able to come, try to support, you know, like financial help is, you know, we like it or not. We're in a capitalist society and we work with financial support. So a lot of these events that we're creating, a lot of these outreach that we're doing a lot of the people, like new generations that need jobs, that are wanting to join, like let maybe a non profit work or create the own movement or doing something related that's going to help the community. Yeah. So for those if you are able, those are really good ways to get involved and make them change.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, Like there's a lot of things you can do, as you say, and I think it does help to build that networks of caring for people everywhere. Like, we want to live in a world where people take care of one another, and to do that, we have to start it everywhere. It's not like the border is the only place where bad things are happening. I know we draw a lot of strengths as people who live at the border from that solidarity, but also from seeing people do their own things wherever they're at. Like that is how we build a world where systems of oppression of let's able to oppress people.
Speaker 11: So yeah, And one of the things we see here, most of the decisions taken for the border are not taken by people from the border. A lot of these big all these decisions, like for example, Senator of Utah right now is putting up a bill for.
Speaker 1: The boarder to sacrifice a lot of public lands for new roads, and like new military installations. So it's like people from Utah are not directly on the border, but yeah, they can also send letters and comments or both these senators out, you know, and somebody that really cares for the environment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're in Utah, your senator has been advocating to sell off the public lands that you own. That has said that, I mean their native land. It's all native land. It should be returned to its original custodians. But in the meantime, you own it and at least all of us can access it until Mike Lee gets his chance to sell it all off to his buddies in real estate. And like, you could be an extremely conservative person and we could disagree on a lot of shit, and I think we could find unity on that. Like, I do not understand how there is a constituency that wants to take land from the public domain and turn it into a military basis and or or fields and mcmhonsions for rich people to have as their second home. Like that should be it's a thing that everyone agrees on. And like he didn't stick the landing on it the first time in the reconciliation. The quote unquote, big beautiful Bill but I think that's a really good area towe engage people, folks who might not be like, yeah, I will show up for migrants. I think a lot of people. They could be people who enjoy the outdoors, people who just care about the environment, the Hook and Bullet crowd, like, there are a lot of people even if they don't quote unquote use public lands, like we all benefit from being there and future generation to benefit from them remaining un developed in a in a substantial way.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I just went off. And when that guy really pisses me off. This shit makes me so mad. Coming from a country that is entirely private land, it is to see someone being like, yeah, that's a good idea. It's fucking asinine.
Speaker 1: Eric.
Speaker 4: I wonder if people want to keep up with the Sierra Club, keep up with like, how they can the opposition comments If they want to know more about this new border construction and the impact would have, where can they Where can they follow along? Is their website or social media?
Speaker 1: Yeah, James, thanks to you. Yeah, we do have all of it. We try to engage people where they are, and we know social media is a powerful tool. We have a website Circulu Border LANs, people can look up some of the work that we do there. We are also active on social media. We are cir Club Borderlands. However you look at it, you're going to find find us. We're based out of Arizona, but we do organize in different states, so we're in collaboration with all organizations as part of a larger coalition. So even if you are in Texas or New Mexico, feel pretty too, very child and if you have any concerns ideas things that come up to your mind that can maakeure the border of airplace feel pretty for a feretty to reach out, then we can collaborate work together on this or LEAs connecting with some of the local people that are part of the network. Because we're always looking to make this network bigger. You know, I think there's trending numbers. I'm going to get more and more people to join this coalition in the different states. So even if you're not on the border stages, if you're in DC and you're do lobbying and you're into policy change, but yeah, come reach out and you can find us like a central website or an Instagram account. We also have like a grassroots mid airport right now called Rally for the Valley, and that's what we're trying to do for the San Rafile Valley over there. You're going to be able to find updates. And we created a decentralized website right now there is called Border Wall Resistance. I invite everybody to take a look at it. It is full of beautiful pictures of the border. When James and I were talking about how beautiful this place is, got to that website and you understand what we're talking about because it's all everts. You know, the border is so unique on each area. You know, the border it's not define but Pjuana San Diego or No Garlands. You know, it is just two thousand miles of wonderlands, so unfortunately separated by in many cases but this huge metal, dirty food structure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, so that's the website, the social media for Circlub Borderlands and Grady for the Balance and the Border Resistance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely reach out you if you recently found out that you live within a border enforcement zone and weren't aware of that, because I know a lot of people in Chicago and other places have very recently found out that as far as the state is concerned that they too are in the borderlands. It would be good to build some solidarity.
Speaker 1: There's trying two terms of the population on these country leaves on the border of the launch Regent, so because that includes coastlines and the Great Lakes Great Lakes, so we're talking about a lot of community.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you very much for your time, Eric, We really appreciate it. It was a good discussion.
Speaker 1: Thank you, James, and hoping that continue to be in touch and continue organizing against all these things. And thanks so much for the space, and thanks for all your listeners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to a jacktoral dysfunction.
Speaker 12: Wait, that's the worst one yet, that's the worst what yet? Talks We did not think it could get worse, and yes, here we are.
Speaker 2: I knew it could get worse and always get worse.
Speaker 4: Oh quitey, nice jobs.
Speaker 12: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today, joined by Ejaculator in Jesus right.
Speaker 2: Wow, Garris said, that's much worse. You made it way worse.
Speaker 4: How many of those videos have you not watched?
Speaker 2: Get I think we're all pretty behind on the required trainings.
Speaker 9: Labor conditions are intolerable.
Speaker 12: Robert Evans, James Stout, and Mio Wong. This episode, we are covering the week of October fifteenth to October twenty second, and a little bit of the week before because we were off in honor of the government shutdown. We ourselves took a week.
Speaker 4: Off because the CIA stopped paying us.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. I've always considered us a branch of the US government, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You and half of the anime people on Twitter. Robert Efens, We're back.
Speaker 12: I don't know, a little bit weird to be doing this White House Weekly episode knowing that there's actually less White House than usual there is. Trump has begun demolishing the East Wing of the White House to build a privately fund a two hundred and fifty million dollar ballroom, and I think we should all have a moment of silence for the East Wing.
Speaker 2: Oh I was going to say a moment of celebration, because now James's people can finally shake hands with the United States government and destroying large portions of the White House.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we sort it was a Volvo excavator to taste, so we also got these Swedes on board. I guess sure couldn't even find an American excavator.
Speaker 2: Sad we don't make things in this country anymore.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's because we're still waiting for the tariffs to get fully fully enacted.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, once we get that Swedish tariff on.
Speaker 12: We are almost four weeks now into the government shutdown and there's not really a clear end in sight, and SNAP Benefits food stamps are set to run out in a little over a week on November first, Mia, Did you want to say something on this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So we've been seeing sort of tech start to go out to people who are on food assistants in various states. There's one circulating from Minnesota that is saying that the food part of SNAP Benefits are going to shut down in a few days on November first, when the funding shuts down. This is a critical lifeline for food for an extremely large number of people, and this is also coming in a period where food banks are already being stressed by just the other cuts to SNAP and other food assistance programs that have already taken place. So yeah, we're coming to a very very critical moment in terms of wide scale food insecurity in this country for a whole bunch of the most vulnerable people in the country. And yeah, this is a good moment for if you have actual access to food, which is which is a very very bleak thing to be saying, but you know, something is going to have to try to pick up the slack or a bunch of people aren't going to eat, right, and that's probably going to have to be us, because it's first fuck not going to be the government.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and yeah, it's just the people's need to eat is inelastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, Just to put some numbers on it, like SNAP in twenty four was forty one point seven million people, which is about twelve percent of the US population. Yeah, this is a massive cliff.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's particularly bad in certain states. For example, Oregon, you know where I live, is set to lose about three quarters of a million people's SNAP benefits. There are like four million people in the state.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 9: And it's also like those people are also disproportionately non white and disapportionate, weir and very disapportion of the trans Yeah. Yeah, and this is something that if straight up the shutdown continues and we don't see s nota benefit's payout, this could also be a major source of instability because you know, the thing that happens very quickly when suddenly forty million people don't have food is bread riots. What is going to happen with that is deeply unclear, but yeah, we're heading into an extremely bleak time.
Speaker 2: If you're looking at predictors of violent instability in countries, yeah, mass starvation is about top of the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 9: Particularly bread riots usually are in sort of the modern era, happens with two or three hundred percent increases in food prices, usually as a result of sort of imass structural adjustments. But if there was going to be another one, this would be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So it's worth sort of being prepared on both ends in terms of feeding people and also yeah, with whatever was going to happen with this cuts out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Meanwhile, during during all of this, during the shutdown and during snaps taking clock, Trump wants his Justice Department to pay himself two hundred and thirty million dollars in compensation for damages coming from past investigations into him.
Speaker 2: Seems fair.
Speaker 12: Trump claims that he will give this money to quote unquote charity. Seems real clear what that means, what charity that will be, how that will really qualify as a charitable donation. But he is currently seeking two hundred and thirty million dollars of government money to be paid back to himself. In the end, it will be him making the final call on this, which he says he feels strange about.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it's good.
Speaker 4: You know, he's an honest man, you know, it's great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, we we've just fully entered the looting the storehouse is part of the regime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they taking a very British approach.
Speaker 2: Looting is putting this too mildly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you see the article about the plans to let AI companies apply to get old weapons grade plutonium to fuel the nuclear.
Speaker 2: Reactors, seems fine. And that's what I trust Sam Altman weapons grade plutonium. He's gonna use that safely.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hopefully the air bubble collapses before they get.
Speaker 2: You know what a great attitude to approach having weapons grade plutonium is move fast and break grace.
Speaker 4: Oh god, this is great. It's this week we're announcing the start of KOD's force.
Speaker 1: AI.
Speaker 2: There we go, bring it on.
Speaker 12: God breaking breaking news, US sanction has been placed against two of Russia's largest oil companies in an effort to pressure the Ukraine Russia piece deal, which Putin just backed out of negotiations from as there was plans for him and Trump to meet, So that just happened.
Speaker 2: Sexy not sexy. So I think one of the first things we want to cover right now, just because this is maybe the number one thing I'm seeing people talk about on social media right now is there have been articles written about ICE's new weapons budget. Famously, their budget is increased, missing like seven hundred percent. A huge amount of that's being spent on, you know, bonuses in order to get people to join, cash payments and whatnot, as well as pretension bonuses, but a lot more of it's being spent on weapons. And right now the number one thing I'm seeing people freak out about is the supposed idea from these documents that ICE is purchasing guided missiles and chemical weapons. I have heard people say this is Ice, which is obviously Trump's SS, you know, making their own vaffen ss, which were the armed units of the SS. I'm seeing a lot of shit like this spread, and as Jamee is going to tell you, none of that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, the fact that ICE has a massive increase in budget and is buying a shit little weapons is true. But they're not guided missiles.
Speaker 12: ICE doesn't heat guided missiles.
Speaker 4: We're not getting a death heead ICE unit.
Speaker 12: Come on at the next Canal Street ICE raid, they're going to be launching heat seeking missiles into Chinatown.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying this isn't a problem, but it's not what people are saying it is. Yeah, sorry, James, all right.
Speaker 4: The source of its claim is a substack page called Popular Information run by a guy called Juddlygum, and he has claimed in this piece, I'm just going to quote the ICE post purchase, quote chemical weapons, and quote guided missile warheads and explosive components. I guess the main thrust of the piece was looking at the fact that ICE spent nine million dollars on geistly ar pattern rifles. Border Patrol spent more than twice that he appears to have missed that in his reporting. This reporting is extremely dishonest, To put it mildly, it's either deliberately misleading or massively incompetent. The piece in question doesn't link to the individual contracts, which, like on the face of its bad form, right, if you're going to be talking about contracts, your contracts are in the public domain. Just linked to them. The piece doesn't do that. I went on USA spending dot gov and I filtered by contracts that have been awarded by ICE. I gave a date range. The date range are pertained to the things being discussed in the article. And then I filtered by the product or service code for chemical weapons and guided missile warheads. Right, two different products or service codes. Product or service codes are like these, these four digit codes that exist in federal procurement right to put things into buckets basically, and I found the contracts. The contract very clearly states the guided missile quote unquote contract. The contract with the guided missile product or service code very clearly states it is for multiple distraction devices. Yeah, it's a contract with a company called Quantico Tactical. I did call them yesterday, something that again any competent reporter should do before publishing a piece that does not appear to have been done by the substat guy. They gave me an email. I sent it email more than twenty four where hours ago, requesting commental clarification, didn't receive a response at the time of us going to press. If I hit back from them before we release this, I will let you all know the chemical weapons. It was as spray. It was fab spray, right.
Speaker 2: And a distraction device by the way, folks, this is something like like a sonic grenade, which sounds crazy, but it's a grenade that makes a loud noise to distract people to bang. The flash bang is also a distraction device when you used the way that they use in riots. You know, it's a little bit of a different thing when you're using one to like breach bang and clear a door or something. But like when you're throwing a flash bang at a riot, it's a distraction device because the goal is you've got a bunch of people moving towards an area you want to stop them from You distract them by an explosion, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's distracting.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's also and this is you know, one of the one of the frustrating elements about this is that Ice has been using a whole bunch of these to blow down people's doors. It's really horrible.
Speaker 2: There are problems. It's problems that they're buying all this.
Speaker 9: And no one is talking about it because everyone's focused on this.
Speaker 2: When James put up their initial research just on a Blue Sky and Twitter, I shared it and people were like, it's still a problem they've got that they're getting all buying all these new weapons. Do you not care about?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I care about that. You're not talking about that. Yeah, we care about the talking about a fantasy.
Speaker 4: And like it is bad that Ice has flash bangs and pepper spray, right, I have personally broadcasts how they exists. Like you can go back only a few months and here Ice flash bangs on this podcast, like recorded by me in person. We know they fucking have them because they were throwing them at me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've lost count of how many have hit me directly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got at least seventy five percent fucking federal government flash bang impact. You know. Like, I want to take a second guess to talk about incentives here, because this really pisses me off. And I think that the way we build trust in the media is through openness, and I think that we do that better than most and I'm going to try and do that here just so you know, none of us make any extra money if more people download this podcast, at least not directly. Right, we do not have a direct incentive to make fantastical claims that will lead to people downloading our podcast and being afraid that is not true for people who have these substick outlets, right, Like, I mean, I'll let me clarify. We do have a direct financial interest in there being traffic, right because that is that's how we make our money, right like, and that's how we justify getting raises and stuff. So, like everyone in media, if more people listen to our stuff, like, we do have a financial interest in that, But you're not checking week to week to see if we're getting if what we're doing is bringing us in more direct money, right Like, That's just not the way our thing works. Yeah, And when people are on their own they're doing these subsc out there is a very real incentive to do that, right. We also have a team here. We fact check each other.
Speaker 12: We do our best. We fuck up sometimes, yeah, yeah, we fuck up. Sometimes we're honest about it. When we do right, we acknowledge it. Yeah, we acknowledge when James makes mistakes.
Speaker 2: Thank you, guys, you're the least You're the least mistake person here.
Speaker 4: I'm extremely careful about that ship. Well, I've stood on my fucking pedestal enough about this. But yeah, it's bad right that things that I saw buying that ICE is really buying. Yeah, are samu automatic ars, more clocks, a lot of soft body armor, red dot sites quote unquote crowd control munitions. Right, sort of spending you see from a special forces unit that are very not special like police agency, right, Like that's just spending, like they have an open check book.
Speaker 2: Like ICE is continuing to buy the same weapons with which they have been hurting people the entirety almost of the twenty first century, and they're hurting more people now and will be hurting even more people in the future because they will have even more money. And that's bad. And you don't like, what would they even do with a guide missing?
Speaker 4: It doesn't make sense. On the Facebook, it's sixty one grand. Yeah, the fuck do you think you're getting for sixty one grand from a company in quantic?
Speaker 2: Have you tried buying guided missiles in this economy?
Speaker 1: People?
Speaker 4: It's just ludicrous, man, What the fuck. They think they're going like like Tomahawk, I know, like a strawberry picking facility. Like it's ludicrous, it's fucking ridiculous, a chemical weapon.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can talk about substack and they're being fucked up things about the company. But like, I honestly I think that I don't think it's overstated, but I think people focus on that extind of like, well, yeah, which which of them aren't? What where is the non nazi social media company that has any kind of reach?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: But that's really not even the point I care to make. What I will say, the problem here is not even just that like when people are working for an audience like that, we're week to week, however many people are donating and whatnot kind of can incentivize you to follow certain rabbit holes and push certain things. I think one of the bigger problems is that what you have is a generation a very of the most talented and successful journalists in terms of their skill of like writing and their ability to build an audience that follows them. Those people have all moved to a platform where they by default don't have an editor yea, and like every journalist worth they're sold I've had my fights and frustrations with editors at a variety of publications, and sometimes they're knowing, and sometimes editors suck, and sometimes publications a big part of what they're doing is just trying to water down your shit. But that's not the only thing editors do. A major thing editors do is point out, Hey, I get that you're really into this, and I get that you find this compelling, but as an objective observer, I'm seeing this hole in this hole in this hole, and you need to, for example, hall these people and make sure that this because it doesn't look like this is actually a guided It looks like somebody just fucked up putting in a code. We need to check on this so we can state it to a point of certainty. That's what an editor should be doing, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even if they're responsible journalist, like I wouldn't have submitted that piece to an editor without having checked that first. Like sure, it took me five minutes to call them. I should add that the PSC's in question for grenades and war heads are one digit different, right again.
Speaker 2: Right, which is which is what happened here?
Speaker 4: It certainly looks that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and again this is why. Part of how responsible journalism is supposed to work is that you never have just one eye on a story, because every journalist will inevitably miss things if you're doing that right, that's why you are supposed to The idea is to have multiple eyes on a thing so that oh, hey it looks like you skipped over this, or hey it just occurred to me. I have this question that is not being answered, and you make a couple of phone calls, throw in another sentence, and then that's that's a thing that we're answering, a thing we're accounting for. And if you don't have that, the work isn't as good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, look, I'm not saying there were not things to be.
Speaker 2: Afraid of that are No one's saying yeah, But I.
Speaker 4: Want people to be afraid of the right thing, so like they're not gonna lob you people.
Speaker 12: I don't think we're really going to be safe until there's an iron dome over every Home Depot Gartson.
Speaker 2: I've been saying that for years. But that's also because I would like to start a limited missile war against the Home Depot Corporation. But I've been get taking lows money for years yeah, on.
Speaker 4: Behalf of flows. Yeah, I'm on teammates hardware. So I'll see you on the battlefield, Robert.
Speaker 2: At least we don't have any Harbor Freight people.
Speaker 4: Actually actually a massive Harbor Freight guy. He just says that Harbor fray like literally literally behind me.
Speaker 2: I mean, then I think about Harbor Freight is buying one thing and then returning it exactly eleven months after buying it once you've broken it, and.
Speaker 4: Just having a perpetual whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, everything that I bought from Harbor Freid has started smoking.
Speaker 2: Everything breaks that you buy from Harbor Freight, but the return policy is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The question is will it break before or after you've used it enough to justify buying something more expensive, And.
Speaker 12: The answer is yes, James, can you do a product and service code ad break kids?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 12: Based on your investigation here and Adam, you can keep this in you can you can show them how the sauce is made here. Yeah, it's just in terms of honesty here we go. Okay, right, give me give me a second here. I got to think of something good.
Speaker 4: You fucked it. I was just gonna do talking products and services and you ruined it. Garrison. If you are in the market for a distraction advice, guided warhead or chemical weapon, let's hope that you get an advert for one of those in this commercial break. That's right, people, welcome back to the Iranian regime. I hope you got what you wanted.
Speaker 2: Yes, this podcast is the only podcast entirely supported by the Ayatola. And yeah, uh praise him.
Speaker 12: The CIA and the IOTOLA have finally unique had.
Speaker 4: The clasp hands me both from Robert Evans. Legally speaking, that is a joke. We are not funded by the Iranian regime. We're all monarching.
Speaker 2: Speak for yourself there.
Speaker 3: Do you talk about the.
Speaker 12: Let's talk about the national card.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 12: On Monday, his past Monday, the Ninth Circred Qard of Appeals have ruled in favor of the Trump administration, halting a court order denying the federalization and deployment of the Oregon National Guard. They had two to one ruling on a three panel hearing with two trumpet pointed judges. They called Trump's plan to deploy troops to the Ice Building in Portland a quote unquote measured sponse. Now there is a second tro preventing out of state National Guard from deploying to Portland, and this appears to still be in effect, but its fate is unknown. The Justice Department has requested the original judge to spend the order, though the Ninth Circuit itself is considering whether a larger panel should rehear this entire case. Currently, there is no immediate plans for Oregon National Guard to be deployed, but they do now have the go ahead, but this is still a developing situation. But that's an important update there. Let's talk about that two fifty celebration sing happy birthday. No, happy birthday to the Marines.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, oh god, yeah, Happy birth to the Marine Corps. I hope today you guys get to eat a lot of crayons.
Speaker 4: They'll have a cake which is shaped like a giant crown.
Speaker 9: No, it just is made out of giant crown.
Speaker 12: And we all remove our tote CoV tattoos. That's going to be the Marine party.
Speaker 2: Get get rid of those scout snipers. It's yet sawst.
Speaker 1: But no.
Speaker 12: There was the Marines two hundred and fifty a celebration with JD Vance last week where they did play hell Diver to music during the celebration.
Speaker 9: Was a happy birthday and Fidels.
Speaker 4: I'm still not clear what hell Diver is.
Speaker 12: Hell Divers is a satirical video game that satirizes a fascist military that fights for quote unquote democracy against others so called fascists.
Speaker 9: Sorry, managed democracy very important, It's.
Speaker 2: True, It's true, yes, managed.
Speaker 12: I have heard of it from the news headlines such as Charlie Kirk shot. But yeah, it's basically like playing Starship Troopers music over the Marine Corps celebration party. That's kind of the caliber we're operating in here. Yeah, thank you for bringing that to my generational understanding.
Speaker 4: There you go. Yeah, I appreciate it. Talking to the Marine Corps two hundred and fiftieth birthday on Saturday, a one fifty five shells one hundred and fifty five millimeter Howitzer shell prematurely detonated over the five Freeway outside of Pendleton, right, not stuff, crazy shit, damaging a cop car that was assigned to JD. Vancy's security detail.
Speaker 2: It was literally as soon as they started talking about how Trump wanted to shoot a missile into fucking Camp Pendleton and like immediately, yeah, they fuck up and blow up a car attached to fucking the Vice President's Security Detail. Amazing stuff.
Speaker 4: They did a dress rehearsal on Friday in which they managed not to detonate any shells over to five. Gavin Newsom decided to shut the frive on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Probably a good call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably complaining about things shaking I just did. If you're like, if you're not familiar with the layout there, I would say that in most places is you go. Camp Pendleton is a large area that is used by the Marine Corps for training. It has artillery ranges within it.
Speaker 2: The five is the big highway in California. It's the highway that goes the whole length of the state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you would call it the I five if you weren't from here, and then we would know that you weren't from here, so we call it the five. There's less than a mile of land to the west of the five, right, so shooting go over to five and get pretty much shooting from the beach or near the beach, as opposed to the whole rest of Camp Pendleton, right where they have artillery ranges. But they wanted to do it over to five. I think they were doing some kind of simulated landing drill. Not quite sure. What the landing drill they were doing. But this yet resulted in the damage done to a HP car and really fucked up traffic in probably the entirety of southern California. Yeah, from most of last Saturday.
Speaker 9: I do you just want to mention here that there is historical press in the United States for US accidentally killing the Secretary of State because a gun they were firing on a pleasure cruise on a boat, on a Navy boat blew up. So wow, it was in the eighteen forties, but we did kill the Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of State.
Speaker 12: If any Secretary of War could pull this off, it would be PA.
Speaker 3: I believe in him.
Speaker 12: Here is a decent chance he will throw one of those acts straight into Jdvans's leg.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I forgot about his accident. Yeah yeah, Vans of course the former Marine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that is it.
Speaker 12: Wait yeah, yeah, yeah, I totally forgot lance corporal in the Marine Corps.
Speaker 4: Believe he was a a PAO. Public affairs. Yeah, I want to address DHS's claim to have deportation numbers. DHS has been throwing out some many big numbers for deportation, claiming over half a million removed and one point six million quote unquote self deported. These are inflated numbers. These include things that people tell away airports and Coastguard inter diictions. Right, they are not removals of people from the interior of the United States who were residing here. They're like if someone maybe if someone came with a visa and was turned around the airport, they're including that as a deportation.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: DHS has stopped publishing a lot of the data that we previously got under this administration, so we don't have a lot of hard numbers. But the one point six million number. This comes from CIS, right, the Center for Immigration Studies. We've talked about them before. This is a Tanton funded quote unquote think tank which the SPLC has adjudicated as a hate group. The CIS data. DHS has been like sharing this since it came out, but it also seems to be weighing very heavily into whatever algorithm Musk has put into GROC recently. If you look for mentions on x the Everything website of the one point six million number, nearly all of them are GROC repeating it. God, I don't know if they straight up just said like, yeah, the CIS is your source for information when they were, you know, pro to be less woke but slightly more woke than when it called itself Mecha Hitler. But it seems to be the CIS seems to be heavily weighed in the Grock algorithm these days, which I thought was interesting.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they did get that GROC contract approved a few months ago.
Speaker 4: I think the d just didn't get the number from Grok. I think they got it from CIS. But nonetheless, like the reason that that number is still in the side guy, So I think it's partially because Grok keeps repeating it.
Speaker 12: Well, you know it is. It is Groctober, as I've been saying, Garrison, we have fucking spoken about this. It's not Groctober angry. The other thing I do want to mention on a I guess not deportations, but the Department of State has announced a series of people who have had their visas revoked for posts surrounding the death of Charlie Kirk. The State Department Twitter account posted a whole thread on x the Everything app listing various sentences and sentiments there was in visa's being revoked. Quote Charlie Kirk was a son of a bitch and he died by his own rules. VISA revoked. When fascists die, Democrats don't complain, VISO revoked. It from a German national, Resilient National said that quote Charlie Kirk was the reason for a Nazi rally where they marched in homage to him, and that Kirk died too late. Visa revoked. There's like four other of these for people making statements of that nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think people get the idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Following Kirk's death, Rubio to announce he would be looking for visa holders who made statements following Kirk's death, and he has followed through on that promise in some other Charlie Kirk news. A few weeks ago, Turning Point USA officially announced that they would be producing an alternative halftime show after it was announced that the Puerto Rican artist Bad Bunny would be performing at the twenty twenty six Super Bowl. The TPUSA show will be called a Quote All American Halftime Show celebrating faith, family, and freedom. The website has a submission form where it asks which genres should be featured during the show. The options include quote anything in English American classic rock, country, hip hop, pop, and worship.
Speaker 2: I love anything in English as a genre.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When I get to Spotify, that's what I put in.
Speaker 2: The crowd's gonna riot when someone does Hotel California.
Speaker 12: We can really push anything at English. Frankly, we could go to some pretty crazy places.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't think they've pretady considered the breadth of that genre.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: I will say how they could get me back on board is if, in addition to a separate halftime show, they had a separate Super Bowl in which Ben Shapiro faces off alone against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 9: Oh that would be so fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would let Ben Shapiro bring some friends.
Speaker 9: No, no, I want to see Jalen Hurts physically pick up Ben Shapiro and see how far he can pass him. Because I'm pretty I'm pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, at least at least sixty.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: That guy Benches. That guy could like bench a small motor vehicle. Benches Shapiro. Yeah.
Speaker 12: More details and performers will be announced later, including how this will be broadcast, will be streamed online, or they trying to make a TV deal with someone like you know, Fox, you know, unclear how this will be broadcast, but it is something they're going to go through on last thing we should probably talk about before the break or I don't know, maybe maybe we could combine this with the section you wanted to talk about Robert on the infiltrations. But right after our Executive Disorder episode from two weeks ago, literally like like hours after, on October eighth, right wing influencers gathered at the White House to discuss with Trump and cabinet members their theories and carrowing stories of Antifa at this big Antifa roundtable. Yeah, I'm gonna play a short clip like a few seconds from Jack Pasoba get in there, noted far right extremist and poster.
Speaker 2: Jack Pasobic certainly noted poster.
Speaker 9: It's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Antifa is real.
Speaker 5: Antifa has been around in various iterations for almost one hundred years, in some instances going back to the Weimar Republic in Germany.
Speaker 12: Huh, I wonder, I wonder why it went back to the Wymar republican Germany?
Speaker 4: What what what else was happening at that time in Geminy.
Speaker 12: It's very interesting you say that, Jack, Very interesting, Jack, what other opinions do you have on fimar Republic.
Speaker 2: Jack, Yeah, So this is worrisome, right, the fact that these idiots are getting to speak this close to power about their theory, which is basically that everyone they don't like or who has said anything they don't like as part of a terrorist organization and should be put in prisoner executed. Like that's the gist of what all of the people at that roundtable believe.
Speaker 12: A whole bunch of like, you know, post millennial people, and you know that that whole that whole right, like a genre of like you know, right wing antifa journalists, journalistic.
Speaker 2: Yes, everyone I don't like equals terrorists. Yes, So that's really worrisome, And I just I kind of wanted to make a note here to people that as a result of stuff like this, in case you somehow have not been aware of this, we're going to be seeing a massive ramp up in you know, not just attempts at prosecution, but at attempts to like infiltrate and get gotcha footage and audio of different left wing and anarchist groups that are going to be used as pretexts for like further crackdowns. I would say it's just a time to be aware of that and be aware of the fact that anytime you are speaking or at a public event where other people are speaking, you should assume that that's being recorded and that people will be pulling out the worst parts they can from it and trying to use that to destroy people's lives. And I bring that up because there's been a couple that just really broke today, some potentially pretty high profile examples of this. One of them is that at a panel for Firestorm Books, they had a speaker, guy named Eric King, who was convicted of a firebombing. He's a left wing activist. He spent almost ten years in prison, at a horrific time in prison, I mean, just abused by the system and some of the worst playways possible and is finally out. And Eric did a talk at Firestorm Books and he made basically his statement that activists need to hurt them where it counts, saying we can force them to shut the fuck up when it hurts they're walid enough, or you can find other ways to hurt them. Now that's not saying anything inherently illegal. Again, he starts it by saying we can force them to shut up when it hurts. Their wallet enough, that's talking about like boycotts and stuff, but the phrase other ways to hurt them is vague enough. That's pretty easy for these guys to cut stuff out. And I'm looking at a post by quote end quote investigated analysts for the Manhattan stut Smith. He's framing this as known ANTIFA firebomber calls for escalation, and again that's not necessarily an accurate look at what Eric was saying. But it's easy to pull stuff out like this from something like what appears to have been a fairly open zoom call that you know, is not hard for someone to get into and record and pull something out of to try and make the case that someone like Eric should be back in prison, or that Firestorm Books is a party, you know, providing material support to an extremist organization. And what I'm not trying to do is say like, and so people should not talk and gather in public because they're going to be doing this. But you need to be aware that anything said it's something like this that's in any way open, and even if you try to make it kind of more close than this, they will try to get people in. This is something that is increasingly going to happen, and so people just need to be You can't you can't just kind of hope that they're not paying attention. You have to be aware of the fact that they're out there and they're going to be trying to infiltrate any sort of thing like this they can to get pretexts for further crackdowns. And another recent example of this Frontlines tp USA, which is Turning Point ussays, I mean, it's their version of the actual Frontline journalism show. But they did an investigation where they went undercover to the Oakland in Seattle anarchist book fairs, right, and again, there's nothing wrong with doing those book fairs. I'm sure what they're doing here is pulling whatever quotes they could grab from people that sound bad out of context and using them. Tried to make the case that again, these are violent extremist events that need to be cracked down on. And I will reiterate I'm not saying don't do book fares. I'm not saying don't show up at events like this. I'm saying if you show up, be aware that stuff like this is going to be happening, that they're going to be people recording that they're going to be people trying to find what they can to destroy people who are at these events, and that that's something that needs to be in your threat model, right in terms of how you dress when you go there, how visible you are, and what you're willing to say around people, right, among other things. I guess what I'm saying is there's some jokes you shouldn't be making in public at events like this unless you want there to be a high risk of it coming back to bite you in the ass.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's that's perfectly reasonable.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 12: During the Antifa roundtable panel, this guy named Seamus Brunner Samus shamous. It says, seem miss guys jeesus. It says, seems that is we're gonna ask to step you, right. That's that's a shame, but it says Seamus. The director of research at the Government Accountability Institute, discussed his theory of how a network of NGOs are funding Antifa. This is a this is a longer clip, but I think it's important to look at how they are approaching this, like how they are approaching this Antifa as an organization.
Speaker 6: This is not just a story about violence and chaos. As you alluded to, mister President, this is a money story. And at the Government Accountability Institute, my colleague and I, Peter Schweitzer and my I and our team, we follow the money and we followed it to the top of what we call the protest industrial complex Riot Inc.
Speaker 1: And we found a network of NGOs.
Speaker 6: It's not just the Soros network, the Open Society network, it's other funding networks, the Arabella funding network, the Tides funding network, nevill Roy Singham and his network, Foreign cash, and it's also big left wing funders. Some of them are not citizens of this country, mister Hans Yorg vis of Switzerland. They're pouring money into this entire ecosystem. And so I want to share three money facts with you about what we call Riot Inc. Number One, like any corporation, Riot Inc. Has many divisions. It doesn't just have the Antifa boots on the ground division. It has pr divisions, it has marketing divisions, it has a very well funded legal division to get these boots on the ground back on the streets as quickly as possible. But it does have those investors that I mentioned. Number two, we have identified dozens of radical organizations, not just the decentralized ANTIFA organizations, but dozens of radical organizations that have received more than one hundred million dollars from the riot ink investors. These would be the lawyer groups, These would be the groups that advocate for calling good honest Americans fascists, etc. And then three, I think the most shocking thing is that we have found that more than one hundred million dollars in US taxpayer funding has flowed into these funding networks, including at least four million dollars to these very groups themselves, not just ANTIFA types. But there was an event in Atlanta called Stop Coop City. Over sixty rioters were charged with domestic terrorism. These groups received money for that from both the billionaire class as well as taxpayer money.
Speaker 12: Is unclear what he's talking about in terms of taxpayer money going to the sixty rico defendants in Atlanta, but the structure he's talking about, how how this riot inc concludes not just like Antifa as in you know, people wearing black hoodies on the streets at a protest, but like you know, legal support organizations, even like like research organizations that you know advocate calling you know, good honest American's fascists, right this this could refer to groups like Media Matters or like Southern Poverty Law Center who do research into extreme organizations. They could be framing the people like that as a part of this whole ecosystem, and that's that's where they could be looking at for sources of money and funding and like tracking where that money goes is in groups like that. Not obviously you know, your average black clad ANTIFA protesters. Not it's not receiving payment for their presence at these at these events. But this guy went on to claim that quote unquote Riot Inc Funding Network also supports decentralized crowdfunding platforms which fund organizations like the ELM for John Brown Gun Club and the Socialist Rifle Association. After he went on this like three minute long speech, Trump asked him and other attendees that if they knew anything about like ANTIFA members, funders, or the organizational structure, to hand over that information to Pam Bondie or Cash Patel and Trump reiterated this multiple times during the roundtable, asking these you know, policy guys or quote unquote independent journalists to hand over their information to the authorities. Here's one version of him making this request.
Speaker 8: Do you know the name of any of the funders? Do you know the names, because if you do, I'd like you to give them to Cash or Pam. Absolutely well, Christy, yeah, we'll do as soon as you can. That's all of you because you probably know the names. After a certain period of time you tend to find out. But these are people that do not have good intention for the country, and that's uh treasons probably, So if you could, if you very important, if you could do that, it would be great. Nobody would know better than you. You'll figure it.
Speaker 2: Out, Ugh share man cool.
Speaker 12: During this roundtable, Pam Bondi, the Attorney General, reiterated how Antifa should be treated like an organized criminal gang and that law enforcement are going to quote unquote take the same approach as it does handling foreign drug cartels. It's a side note the United States has.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's what those guided miss repeatedly.
Speaker 12: Lodged missiles at what it claims are boats associated with foreign drug cartels.
Speaker 4: I'll just say we have an episode next week about the ongoing drone campaign in the Caribbean.
Speaker 12: Speaking of funders, here's some of.
Speaker 4: Ours for the Central Intelligenation.
Speaker 9: All right, we are back.
Speaker 4: I'm so nice to hear from the products and services that support this show.
Speaker 9: Brought to you.
Speaker 12: Buy Safari Land your one stop off God, I wish we had no. I don't actually starlight is some post ironic meaning that I should I should occur tails Farlight is in fact back. I will admit they do make very nice, nice bulletproof plate. I will say, talking of things that are very nice, this is a very nice song that I like to listen to in my free time. Sorry, rocky jazz, rockety jazz.
Speaker 3: Goot, Sorry locking.
Speaker 1: Rocking jazz, rocking.
Speaker 12: Jazz, Bob, It's tariff talk. We're back baby, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: So literally within twelve hours, I think of the of the release at night of our last episode of the show, we got the resumption of the trade war. So specifically, Trump has announced effectively the full scale resumption of the trade war where China. This started kind of out of nowhere with Trump administration doing something that I think they didn't think was very provocative, because I don't quite think they understood the magnitude of what they were doing. This basically started with the Trump administration massively increasing export restrictions to China by changing the rules of what companies are covered by what's called the Entity List, which is a list of companies that American companies are not allowed to sell goods and services to. The administration moved this to include any company that is fifty percent or more owned by a company on the export list. We've discussed on the show before that a significant part of the structure of Chinese corporate conglomerates are held together by a bunch of different companies, you know, having partial ownership by the same holding companies, which is what sort of binds companies and conglomerates together and integrates them into the management structure of the conglomerates. This is how Chinese state owned enterprises work. Being state owned enterprise literally means that you are partly or completely owned by a holding company run by SASSAK, which is the State Owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council. Because every name of the CCP is like that. So this shifts to anything that's fifty percent or more owned by a company on the list is actually a massive export restriction, and the Chinese government took this as okay, we're starting the trade war again, so very quickly there's a whole bunch of different tat things that we're not going to track the order of because they kind of don't matter. But on October tenth, Trump made a Twitter post where he said that he was going to implement a one hundred percent tariff and also a software restriction thing we'll talk about later. Those are supposed to go into effect on the first. He's also been talking in the last week about bringing tariffs up to one hundred and fifty percent. We don't have any kind of formal executive order on that. This was to some extent in response to China implementing massive restrictions on the export of rare earth metals. These are crucial to basically any kind of of advanced manufacturing industrial manufacturing applications, everything from chips, electric cars at jet fighters. These are set to take effect on December first. I'm going to read this from the New York Times to get an undersetting of how large these moves are. China refines ninety nine percent of the world's prosium, a kind of rare earth metal that is used in chips to preserve magnetic stability even when they become hot. In the last few years, Nvidia and other semi conductor manufacturers have changed the materials used in electricity management devices called capacitors, which is a really funny way to describe a capacitor, by the way, but on chips to make them more heat resistant. The capacitors are made from ultra pure dysprosium, which is extremely difficult to refine. A single refinery in Wushi, near Shanghai produces the entire world's supply, so prove New York Times. These export restrictions include any good that is produced with these rare earth metals, and require foreign companies operating in China, like for example, Samsung or any of the sort of South Korean or Taiwanese chip manufacturers to acquire export licenses to sell them to any other country that's not China. That is a absolutely massive restriction on export goods and also again a whole bunch of critical minerals that both the American military apparatus relies on and the American tech apparatus relies on. AI chips need a whole bunch of these things, so you know, in the middle of this process, the US also started charging Chinese built ships for docking at US ports, which China retaliated by imposing docking fees for American ships. I'm gonna gain read from New York Times here. The new rules are the most stringent for Chinese shipping companies, which for the most part, cannot avoid the levies. HSBC, an investment bank, estimated that Costco not that Costco different one, a large Chinese shipping line could pay one point five billion dollars in fees next year, which the bank said could reduce Costco's operating earnings by nearly three fourths in twenty twenty six. Again, it's it's worth it's worth noting that these shipping, these shipping companies are the backbone of blow trade. They also their margins are not very good and a significant number of them basically only didn't go under dream lock during the lockdowns because they effectively lied on their loan applications. And we're just sort of putting in their revenue as if the lockdowns weren't happening. So this is all very very fragile infrastructure that is being you know, attacked, and these these port fees are already in.
Speaker 12: Effect me doing gay cruising on my European trip. Yeah, I like global trade, all right.
Speaker 9: I continue, Oh god, Okay, So we also got to report today this is this is Wednesday, the twenty seconds this is being reported, So who fucking knows what will be happening by the time this episode comes out. But on Wednesday we got to report from Reuters about the other one of the other options that Shrum administration is considering for these massive sort of trade attacks on China. So I said, I said earlier when I talked about the one hundred percent tariff, Trump also mentioned a software export ban. So perb Reuters, what's being considered here, and again we have note we have very few concrete details about this. This hasn't been formally announced. My guests is that it's being leaked to Reuters by the administration, but I just don't know. But what they're considering, basically is a version of the sanctions that effectively Biden applied to Russia after the invasion of Ukraine, which restricts the export of any product maade with US software. This would be probably the most significant developments of the entire trade war. And so these are all incredibly significant escalations. A bunch of the stuff is set to go into effect on November first, which is very very soon now. In theory, Trump and Chijianping are supposed to meet at the meeting of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum in South Korea, but there's been no formalnouncements of their meeting. Trump that he was going to go to China and early next year, but that's again next year. The American one hundred percent tariff again November first. The Chinese export restrictions on rare earth metals again December first.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The other issue here is that the actual event starts on October thirty first, and the first terrorists going to affect the next day.
Speaker 12: Very spooky, very spooky, indeed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And so Trump is mad also about China refusing to buy American soybeans, the story we've been covering. Yeah, and you know, he's complaining about the rare earth metal stuff, and he's complaining about he's still yelling about fence and all. But it's also worth mentioning one of the fascinating things is Trump is continuing to piss off even more parts of his base with this stuff. So soybean farmers, which is again a huge portion of American farmers, are really mad at him. He's also pissing off cattle ranchers. So both the soybean farmers and the cattle ranchers are mad at for giving a bunch of money to Argentina and not giving them a bunch of money and cutting off their acts to Chinese markets because Argentina again is selling a whole bunch of stuff to China. One of the things that they sell to China is beef because Argentina is a major beef exporter, So they're all really mad at him for giving Argentina a giant bailout in order to try to save if they're failing economy under their unhinged an arco capitalist and president who has annihilated the economy even more than it was before. And then Trump's response to the cattle ranchers being mad at him was telling them to lower their prices, which means they're even more mad at him. So he is systematically alienating two of what should be his most important basis of support. And like the cattle industry has been a based Republican support for I mean since time in memorial. Effectively, the lumber and vanity tariffs so we mentioned last week have taken effect. Now there's been no rollback of them. And finally, I want to close on a story that we're going to be covering more on Monday, which is the continuing escalation of a sort of conflict between Colombia and the US after the US murdered about full of what appeared to be Columbian fishermen. Yes, Columbia has recalled its ambassador and in the US has said that it is going to eliminate all foreign aid and impose a tariff, the size of which they haven't given a consistent number. Four And this is, you know, very much could look like a pretty massive reorientation of American policy around Columbia, which has traditionally been an American ally and we've ran desk squads out of there for a very very long time. Yeah, and that has been the lightning round rapid fire trade war coverage because oh boy, yeah, yay, we've tariff talked all right.
Speaker 12: Before we close, I don't want to talk a little bit about one of the news stories this week about a US political figures being like Nazism. No, not the main candidate, and no, not that other Republican staffer who had a swastika in his cubicle. The political story that leaked messages from the New York Young Republican telegram chat, which already tells you that it's going to be problematic the fact that they have a telegram chat. But The Political reported that this chat contained messages about putting political opponents in gas chambers, loving Hitler, as well as plenty of anti semitism, talking about raping their enemies, and hundreds of uses of homophobic and racistlers. The chair of the New York State Young Republicans, Bobby Walker, allegedly called rape epic and wrote in the chat quote if we ever had a leak of this chat, we would be cooked on quote New York Republican Elease Stephanic first denounced this chat after the report, though later called the Politico piece a quote unquote hit job. The Matt Walsh side of the online right condemned those who leaked the chats, neglecting to discuss the substance of the chat itself, while Vance largely dismissed the affair, writing on x the Everything app quote I refused to join the pearl clutching when powerful people call for political violence unquote. Vance falsely referred to this as a college group chat when TEA members were as old as forty years old. A day later, while guesting on The Charlie Kirk Show, Jade Vance continued to push back on the seriousness of this story and play defense by repeatedly referring to the grown men involved, who are in their twenties and forties as kids and young boys.
Speaker 13: Somehow they got their hands on something like twenty eight thousand messages in someat group chat of I think twelve people that nobody's.
Speaker 2: Ever heard of.
Speaker 13: But they decided to just publish every single thing in the chat, whatever they found that they thought was the most salacious, and I think ten years ago there would have been a very different response to it. But people are starting to learn from this, and the vice president is one of the reasons why I'm sorry.
Speaker 14: Focus on the real issues, don't focus on what kids say in group chats. But there's another angle to this that I just have to be honest about. I mean, I'm like an old guy at this one. I'm forty one years old, I have three kids. You know, I grew up in a different world, right where not most of what the stupid things that I did when I was a teenager and a young adult, they're not on the Internet, Like I'm going to tell my kids, especially my boys, don't put things on the internet.
Speaker 2: Like, be careful with what you post.
Speaker 14: If you put something in a group chat, assume that some scumbag is going to leak it in an effort to try to cause you harm or cause your family harm. But the reality is that kids do stupid things, especially young boys. They tell edgy, offensive jokes, like that's what kids do. And I really don't want us to grow up in a country where a kid selling a stupid joke, telling a very offensive, stupid joke is caused to ruin their lives. And at some point we're all going to have to say enough of this, bs. We're not going to allow the worst moment and a twenty one year old's group chat to ruin a kid's life for the rest of time. That's just not okay. Like we live in a digital world. This stuff is now extin stone online. We're all going to have to say, you know what, no, no, no, we're not doing this. We're not canceling kids because they do something stupid in a group chat. And if I have to be the person who carries that message forward, I'm fine.
Speaker 12: With it, right once again, most of these guys are like in their thirties. These guys are our adults. You know, the New York Young Republicans is not a whole bunch of kids. These are young like political in political years, because everyone who runs the country is quasi geriatric. Self proclaimed theocratic fascist Matt Walsh said, quote, the right doesn't stick together. That's our biggest problem.
Speaker 4: By far.
Speaker 12: Conservatives are quick to denounce each other, jump on dog piles, disavow attack their allies. I said a few weeks ago that we all need to band together in the wake of Charlie's death, and the answer I got back from a lot of people on the right was basically no, well, okay, then guys, we'll just lose. Instead, the left will keep up the United Front and defend their guys no matter what. Well, we keep throwing each other to the wolves at every opportunity. Great plan. Unquote. Shapiro did beef a bit with Walsh on one of their daily Wire group podcasts regarding the substance of these chats. Shapiro did seem more concerned at the growing anti Semitic and not see fascistic element of the Republican Party whereas Walsh is does not care about that at all. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, not a problem for a self proclaimed theocratic fascist Matt Walsh. So that's that's one side of this whole political story that I wanted to talk about. You should just read the political piece. I'm sure lots of people have. It got pretty popular a few days ago. But I find the sort of I mean, I would have called it like the dissident right reaction, but when you have the vice president as like, yep, the guy leading the charge on this type of stuff, it's not really distanct Like there is a large number of Republicans who are condemning the contents of this chat, but you do have the vice president of the country playing defense for it, yeah, and for the people involved.
Speaker 9: And I think this is actually a very important thing about what the structure of the Republican Party is right now, which is these kind of low levels like staffers, right, the young Republican people, and these are a bunch of people who are also making White House policy. You know, Stephen Miller is you know, the guy who's doing a whole bunch of a whole bunch of the sort of ethnic cleansing deportation policy right now are just Nazis. They're just Nazis. And every time one of these group chats comes out, it looks like this. And that's a really significant factor in why American politics looks like this, which is that like the the people who are entering the Republican Party right now, who are like their sort of youth wing quote unquote, are these people and we're seeing their policies get enacted.
Speaker 3: It fucking sucks.
Speaker 12: I mean it's often baked in this like post ironic, like like joking way, where you know, obviously the Nazi some people in these circles say, obviously the Nazis themselves are bad, but we're using this as like a memetic signifier. Yeah, for like nationalism and for all of these things. Now there is a fair number of people who just will straight up defend the Nazis absolutely, but I think it's it's it goes beyond, like like this isn't German national socialism, Like it goes, it goes, it goes beyond to like they're using Nazism as a meme for their political project, and memes get used a lot in these types of safe spaces where people can joke around. So you see that very clearly here, but you also see it on like the DHS Twitter account you use, you see the same kind of like post ironic stuff, like a few weeks ago they we're fucking moon Man posting. You can google that one if you want to. We don't have time to explain, but that's a very old like internet nazi dog whistle. Yeah, and you know we've I've talked a decent bit about my feelings on like focusing a lot on like the DHS Twitter dog whistles. But yeah, it is it is in invoking of this stuff for this like mimetic like archetypal context that they surround themselves in.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then you know, doing the actual thing, which is going out and rounding up a whole bunch of doing these Ice rights now white people and yeah, like.
Speaker 12: The ICE recruiting ads are like the clearest example of using this type of memetic imagery for their actual political project and then to act the thing physically. And it's it's very clear there because there's very little disconnect. It's an immediate transference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a very straight line.
Speaker 12: Yeah, James want to close us up on the Great State of Alaska.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm talking about something and it's a great in Alaska. But we normally do your fundraiser at the end, so I wanted to put this here for those of you who are not aware, because this has really got enough coverage, in my opinion, A massive storm, in fact, the remnants of a typhoon slammed into the west coast of Alaska, leaving more than a thousand people without shelter along the Yukon Coskoquim River. These are Alaska Native villages, and their inhabitants are now climate refugees at the very start of winter, right in the coldest place in the United States. These villages are very remote. I spend some time earlier this year in Alaska Native village, not here in the interior, just in the Quichan territories. But these guys are really only accessible by small planes or by boats, which will make their recovery even harder.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: They're people who have lived by the ocean or by the river for as long as people have lived in the Americas, tens of thousands of years.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: A few months ago, the Trump canceled the twenty million dollar ground for flood protection, which would have covered Kipnook. One of these villages, Kipnook now and functioning doesn't exist. Houses were torn off their foundations.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 4: There are multiple videos of people's whole houses floating away. It's not just an instance of neglect or even a single failure here, It's an example of decades of ignoring the voices of Indigenous people, especially Alaska Natives, when they tell us that the climate crisis is real and that it's already here. Right. When the media looks at climate change, they tend to want to look at data they can measure in terms of numbers, right, according to the model of Western science. But I would argue that the experience of Indigenous people who have lived on the land for as long as human beings have lived anywhere on this continent and have watched the changes and seen this disaster unfold, should be a warning to all of us that the climate crisis is already here. I reached out to some Alaska Native friends to ask where to donate, and they shared a page which will be in the show notes of the show. So if you're able to help, I think that's very important thing to do. Recovery for these people with this federal government, with being as remote as they are, will be horrifically difficult. Right now, many of them are living in anchorage right Like I said, they're going into the winter and then they don't have a place to live. It's an unmitigated disaster. So if you're able to help, I think it would be very much appreciated. Before I go, I will say that if you would like to email us, you can use our proton mail address, cool Zone Tips at proton dot me. If you send from a proton mail address and it's encrypted from one end to the other end.
Speaker 12: We reported the news.
Speaker 2: We reported the news. Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 15: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.