Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the Short Stuff. I'm Josh and there's Chuck and it's just us right now. But that's okay because we have a third and fourth man with us today in the form of Jerry and Dave.
Speaker 2: That's right. I feel I sense their presence.
Speaker 1: I do too, and they're guiding us on. They're saying, come on, you guys, you can finish the short stuff. It's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 2: I can feel it, Chuck, I think we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: We just demonstrated a really weird phenomenon pretty well, if you ask me, I think we did a great job. Just now everyone's saying so, but we just demonstrated this weird phenomenon called the third Man syndrome. There's an author named John Geiger who for some reason changed syndrome to factor. But that's typically what it's called, this third man syndrome. And like I said, it's weird. Chuck, take it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It has nothing to do with the movie The Third Man, which was good, great movie. And immediately when you sent this along and I saw the title, I thought it might have something to do with that. And it doesn't have to be a man. It really should be the third person syndrome. Sure, but it is this phenomenon that has been talked about by many people over hundreds of years. Where someone is in dire straits, oftentimes it's like somebody sort of like a mountaineer or somebody in the wilderness that's lost and struggling to survive.
Speaker 2: But not always as we'll see.
Speaker 3: And when they're at their sort of worse moment, maybe worse low point, they get a third a sense that someone else is there.
Speaker 2: And again it's not always the third person.
Speaker 3: If they're alone, it's just technically the second person, sure, but it's just somebody there kind of urging them on. But it's not just like, oh, I got this weird feeling, Like it's a real serious, tangible thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like whatever sense you have when there's somebody sitting next to you and they actually are there is a person sitting there, it seems to be the exact same type of feeling and level of feeling and all that. Yeah, it's not like this weird kind of like thought a little bit here there. It's like sensing another presence. And the first person to ever really kind of document this was Ernest Shackleton, surely he was not the first person to experience this, but he he was the first person to write about it, and his experience is just nuts in and of itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about this guy before. It was a British expedition to Antarctica in nineteen fourteen slash fifteen, trying to get.
Speaker 2: To the South Pole.
Speaker 3: It was his third try and he's trying to establish a base there and his ship got trapped in sea ice. They tried to kind of ride it out, but eventually the ice kind of came together, and I mean, this just shows how forceful like creeping ice can be. It kind of crushed the boat and they abandoned ship, set up camp on other ice and stayed there initially for four months on.
Speaker 1: This ice, Yeah, waiting for the ice to break up enough to try to make an attempt by whaling boat over to Elephant Island, which is the closest island, and they made it. They rowed for six days before they reached Elephant Island, which was great. They weren't on the ice anymore, but they were on a deserted island. And again, yeah, I'm thinking it's pretty cold too. And again this is nineteen fourteen, they're not like, you know, picking up the sat phone and saying like, hey, can somebody come get us? Like they've got a real problem here. So they're stranded on this deserted island, and the closest place where there's other people where they actually can get in touch and say hey, somebody come get us is a whaling station on South Georgia Island, and that's eight hundred miles away. So Ernest Shackleton says, got to keep going and whittles down to a few men I think six, five or six other people, and they actually rode eight hundred miles from an arc to South Georgia Island.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they get there sixteen days later.
Speaker 3: It turns out they landed on the wrong side of the island because the winds blew them off course, and so this guy was undaunted.
Speaker 2: Still he took two guys. I think you see where this.
Speaker 3: Is headed, even though the math is still wrong, and they made the rest of the way on foot. It's about eighteen miles or thirty kilometers and through some pretty treacherous conditions, took about thirty six hours. They finally get there and everyone ends up being rescued like that's the good news. But this is that last push, is when Shackleton feels the presence of this additional person urging them on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this is like they've reached the limit of their endurance and they're still going on. And so Shackleton sensed it, but he never said anything about it until he wrote his book South It was published in nineteen nineteen. But he did say something to the other two people who were with them. One was Captain Worsley, and Worsley said, yeah, I had the same feeling, actually, and so did Crean, the other guy on this expedition. They all sensed another person, in this case a fourth person with them, kind of basically comforting them to some degree. So that seemed, in and of itself pretty cool. And I guess the word of this got out because ts Eliot, he's frequently cited as the person who who coined the term third man syndrome. As far as I can tell, no one knows who actually took this ts Eliot poem and turned it into third man syndrome, but it actually it did come indisputably from this ts Eliot poem from nineteen twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, well, the Wasteland was the poem, and he again he was wrong in the math. He should have called it the Fourth Man. But this is kind of the funniest part. T. S. Eliot said that he couldn't remember who who inspired this, like which expedition it was when asked, you know why the number of people was or not three?
Speaker 2: Or three and night four rather exactly.
Speaker 1: And I'm feeling a little poetic today, Chuck, do you mind if I read this little This is from T. S. Eliot's The Wasteland? Three words? Who is the third who walks always beside you? When I count, there are only you and I together, But when I look ahead up the white road, there's always another one walking beside you, gliding wrapped in a brown mantle, hooded. I do not know whether a man or a woman. But who is that on the other side of you? Answer me? Thank you? Thank you? I say, we take a break and let everybody in stunned silence absorb all that.
Speaker 3: All right, We'll be right back, all right. So that's the third man syndrome, Shackleton's version. But it's happened a bunch, like we said. There was a collection by John Geiger called The Third man factor that you mentioned earlier from two thousand and eight where he dug up a bunch of these stories and we're going to go through some of them right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean it's quite quite a feat that he got all these together because they were definitely few and far between. One of the first ones that he mentions is a guy named Frank Smyth who made a solo attempt at his Summat everest. He would have been the first back in nineteen thirty three, and he got close, but he didn't make it, and he realized he had to turn back. And his second man during this attempt was so real to him that at one point he actually turned to offer them food before he realized that there was no one there. So, like, this can be a pretty tangible presence, a tangible intangible presence essentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've seen this in movies, you know, and they don't call it out as you know, third man syndrome, but I've definitely seen these scenes, you know, where there's an unseen person and they look and then they're not there. You know. Yeah, it's but in a comforting way, not like well I was gonna spoil that.
Speaker 2: Nicole Kidman movie.
Speaker 3: But I guess I won't do that right, not in a horror movie kind of way, No, for sure. But there was another guy, a climber again named Joe Simpson. This is nineteen eighty five. He was climbing in the Peruvian andyes, and he broke his leg, so he was in really bad shape. And he wrote a book called Touching the Void where he talked about obeying this voice like guiding him, and a lot of times that's what happens. It's not just like you can do it. You can do it, but like go this way kind of thing. And if you're in this situation after reading all this stuff, I would be wise to go in whatever direction your invisible person is telling you to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obey the voice, I think is the upshot of all this. Yeah, he was guided to safety by his voice. And enough of these are mountaineers that I started to think maybe the cold has something to do with this. But this has also happened to other people who were not in the colt, who were in totally different situations. Very famously, out of the nine to eleven attacks, two people who survived reported experiencing third man syndrome. One was Ron Di Francesco, who was the last person out of the South Tower before it collapsed. He was led down while everybody else was going up and actually went through flames fired like three stories of fire to get to safety, and it was because he was being urged on. And then there was another woman, Janelle Guzman McMillan, who was actually trapped in the rubble of the North Tower and she had a similar experience too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know again it's it feels like it might be like in the movie, like a family member or something. And sometimes it seems like that can happen, Like, I know, wasn't there one of these where Yeah, it was a geologist who was on a cave dive and lost her guideline with twenty minutes left in her air tank, and she felt her husband, Rob, who had died, So her dead husband had died in a diving accident a few weeks prior, so he appears. So sometimes it's like a known individual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Janelle Guzman McMillan I read she named. She didn't think hers was a family member, but she considered it a guardian angel and its name was Paul. So they do get named sometimes even if you don't know him.
Speaker 2: I would name.
Speaker 1: Mine, what would you name yours?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It depends.
Speaker 3: I think it would hit me in the moment, but it seems like the respectful thing to do and not just say hey you, thanks.
Speaker 2: For all that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And just a little word of advice, if you can't come up with the name, just go with Tim.
Speaker 2: Tim.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good scientifically, I mean you might be wondering, like, well, what's happening here, and no, no one really knows. It's kind of one of those things where they think it may be some like hardwired innate instinct that just kind of kicks in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously you can't study something like this, and if it is hardwired, we may all have it, but you're just luckily most of us aren't ever in that situation, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, Like you not only have to be in this limit of your endurance life or death situation, you also have to survive it to come back and tell everybody about it too. So you would imagine like this is a pretty small population of people, right, I mean, clearly, just from the few stories that John Geiger was able to collect, did you see the thing about the bi cameral mind now hy theory. So remember our episode on the bi cameral mind from Julian James, and basically, just for people who aren't familiar, this is a hypothesis that all the way up until like the Bronze Age, people hadn't fully become conscious like we think of consciousness today, and so the voices in their head that we call an inner dialogue where we know we're talking to ourselves to them, this was the gods speaking to them, guiding them, instructing them. So this idea is the third man syndrome is kind of this vestigial by cameral experience that people used to have where what seems like something outside of your mind is helping you, urging you on, guiding you, but really it's just another part of your mind that gets kicked in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it, which kind of drives with the first theory anyway. You know, it's not like that doesn't cancel it out.
Speaker 1: Right, No, there's no canceling going on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Good? Uh?
Speaker 1: Are you got anything else?
Speaker 3: Nothing else? Hopefully this instinct is within all of us, because I wouldn't mind a pal urging me on in the end.
Speaker 1: For sure, yes, but hopefully no one listening ever, has to experience it because it sounds like it's pretty rough to get there. Agreed, Short Stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.