Speaker 1: When Zach and I finished the production for A One House Down, I knew that he knew him. I said, would you text him this song and ask him to play Soolow on it? And Zach was like, I'd give it nineteen percent chance that he says yes, And I said I'll take ninety percent and he said yes.
Speaker 2: I did not know she was on Songland. Do you know that? I didn't know that. Huh? And Songland just took like really good songwriters. Her name is Madeline Merlow. I really enjoyed talking with her. I have this thing where I walked down to the studio if I've never met the person, I knew what she looked like because I'd seen her on Dustin Lynch's Instagram. And there's always that first three or four minutes of any interview where you're kind of like early in a boxing magic, kind of circling each other their houses, gonna work. And I feel like, at like three or four minutes we were like, oh, okay, we got some stuff we can talk about. I thought the clique, Yeah, there was a click, especially when she was volunteering like her time in therapy, and I'm like, oh, I can I can go there and that'll open us up to a lot of other things, because that's as vulnerable as it gets when you start talking about like your feelings and your insecurities. And then it was like I liked her, and so I thought it went pretty good. She grew up in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada, which is left side right Vancouver. She said, near Vancouver. That's like the California version of Canada, way over there. Her father was a funk musician, which we found out she wasn't with him a lot. So I was like, hey, your dad played, but she's like yeah, but so, and that's when we were like, oh, what about Is it jeans or is it environment? Is it a bit of both? She had been wanted to sing forever and she sang Somewhere over the Rainbow, and I was kind of it Somewhere. There's a really cool story on one of the last episodes we did too by Somewhere over the Rainbow Judy Garland, who is that with with Randa Lee? Branda Lee? Yeah, she said. Judy Garland gave her some great advice at a hotel in Vegas. She went up to her and was like, what you were a kid star, what do you do. That's a good one. That's a good one. Madelinemurlow signed Recordhill at eighteen. She did a bunch of stuff in Canada and then came to the States, and she kind of has a cool deal now where she's a new artist here, but she's not so new in Canada, so she lives here like she is. Fully she's a Nashville artist, embraced at one hundred percent. But what's cool is every once in a while she can pop back home and do six seven shows and pair of bills. Yeah, and they come back down, So like, that's cool. I think that's it. I really enjoyed it. Hope you check her out. I hope you like her music. Her name is Madeline Murlow and that is also her Instagram and TikTok name. Her song One House Down from the Girl next Door, which I just felt was so clever, came out on October eleventh. We featured it on The Women to Buy Her Country. We've also featured bar Fight on Women of Our Country. And here she is, mad Madelene madeleyn Madeleine Merlou. Here you go, Madelin. How's it going good? I saw good? I was watching just Dustin Lynch's Instagram. You guys just did the opry. Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 3: Last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I followed Dustin. What was it was that like the first first time for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was my debut?
Speaker 2: Oh cool? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then the first time because we have a song together, the first time we ever played it?
Speaker 2: What was that night? Like?
Speaker 3: It was amazing? I was wreck though.
Speaker 1: I was like not okay, Like when I first got there, you do like a bunch of interviews and stuff, and people were talking to me and I wasn't processing any information, Like I was just freaking out. I just feel like it's such a I don't know every artist I've looked up to loved to have played that stage, and I've just wanted it for so long, So I think.
Speaker 3: I felt like the gravity of it. But then I saw Dustin.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how many times have you played? I'm freaking out? He's like, oh, like hundreds, Like it's fine, wait you saw that, Like sorry, When we were sound checking, he came in and he was so mellow.
Speaker 2: And I was just bumping him there and be like no, no, no, we have a song together. Got it got to yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then he was like I don't know. He was so mellow and so it like chilled me out a little bit.
Speaker 2: The room's cool that they put you in the first time because it's got all the quotes on it. It's got like Taylor. Yeah, it's really the only one I can remember. Yeah, because it's pretty that's a pretty large one. And also it's Taylor too, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh my god, I'm on the Oprey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how long ago did you know that you're going to do the opry? They do any kind of like, hey, Madeline, we're especially inviting you with me. I think they were like, hey, somebody fell out, we jump in. I think that was me my first time.
Speaker 1: It was when we so me and Dustin were doing liners for our song and it was like on the teleprompter and I like, I like announced it to myself kind of which was fun.
Speaker 2: And you didn't know what was coming.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I had gone in there a few months previous and like met the staff and then you play some songs and so I had hoped, but then I didn't hear anything. So I was like, oh, oh my gosh, I like do something and they hate me. I was scared, but they.
Speaker 2: Did ask me, so you have your own parking spot. Yep, do you keep the sign? Of course?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't hung it up yet, but I will for sure.
Speaker 2: And uh, what did you play?
Speaker 1: I played well, Dustin and I did the duet at the first first No, I did Champagne Night.
Speaker 2: Which because you need to be so nervous the first one. Yeah, with Dustin, that's too much comfortable somebody else you don't you want to be so petrified nervous the first song, absolutely, for sure, of course.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I chose that song just because it like kind of kicked open a lot of doors in town for me, my mom, my sister, came so many like friends and you know, my label.
Speaker 3: Industry songwriters, just just the crew. It was good.
Speaker 2: You'll like your second time way more than your first time.
Speaker 3: I've heard that, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I am like, as soon as it was done, it's I mean, it's just it was so great. Everyone's so nice. It's the very mellow thing. I was like, Man, I wish I hadn't like freak out all day.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to do it. And yeah, you have to. But see, that's the thing. The first time, you're just like like the first time that I played it. I don't even remember the people like in the crowd. Yeah, it was so nervous. Yeah, but like the second time, it's kind of cool because there's not a cake and all your label people aren't there, and we appreciate that for the first time. Then like the eighth time, like I show up ten minutes before and late right after, and it's still awesome. Yeah, but now it's just like you belong and they're super cool with you. But it all starts at that first one, like congratulations, that's super cool. How long have you been in town?
Speaker 3: Almost seven years?
Speaker 2: Okay, so long enough, but not so so long. The pandemic kind of cuts a couple of years.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I think it did.
Speaker 1: I LL at least that's what I say. But yeah, yeah, almost seven years.
Speaker 2: You moved from where so.
Speaker 1: I'm originally from forty minutes outside of Vancouver, Canada. Called me for.
Speaker 2: Ridge, which is like California. Yeah, exactly, like that side.
Speaker 1: On the Yeah, west coast, Pacific, northwest, beautiful, small, blueberry town, not a ton going on, And then.
Speaker 2: I'm blueberry Town that real term. Yeah did you make that up?
Speaker 3: No, it's just like there's a lot of blueberry fields.
Speaker 2: Oh, there literally are blueberry I thought there was like some term I'd never heard. It was like a nice lang blueberry town. Yeah, okay, okay, so you have blueberries there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I moved to Toronto, which is like Canada's like New York and lived there for like a year and a half, and then Pat do u Hall moved to Nashville.
Speaker 2: When you moved to Toronto, what'd you do that for what purpose?
Speaker 1: I just wanted to there's more of like a music scene and business scene in Toronto. There's just not I mean, Canada is a very large country in size, but population why, it's not very big. And when it came to like my label was there and I felt like I could put together a band, and I felt like a lot of my shows were in that area, so it was more. And also I was just young. I was like ready to get out and just be on my own and it was a harsh reality.
Speaker 2: What prompted you to move to Nashville specifically?
Speaker 3: I always wanted to.
Speaker 1: I visited Nashville I think at like fifteen or sixteen for the first time as soon as I figured out there was like a magical way and where people came and wrote songs for a living and yeah, and then I was pretty determined. But as a Canadian, it's hard. You need a visa, you can only stay for six months without once. You kind of need a company to like sign off on you. It's expensive. There's like a lot of kind of hoops you got to jump through. So I just like worked and saved up money and had a career up in Canada and still do tour it a lot and had a lot.
Speaker 3: Of great experiences.
Speaker 1: But it was always like, as soon as I could move to Nashville, I was going to do it.
Speaker 2: So did you need someone in the States to like co sign mm hmm, not even use.
Speaker 1: Kind of yeah, I mean it's a process, right. They have to like basically vouch for you that like they'll send you back if needed, and they're like low key responsible for you and that they're going to supply you with work. And so when I moved down, like I didn't really have that, and so you just started like harassing anyone that would like make eye contact with me and.
Speaker 3: Be like listen to my song? Have you heard my song? It was like this clock that was counting down.
Speaker 2: You moved here without that. Yeah, so you basically had six months. It was like the numbers dud, dude, it's counting down. Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 1: Like to play in the US, there's a visa call to P two which will kind of like get you in for like one specific show. So I think I had one of those at the time, so didn't like raise any red flags.
Speaker 3: But that was done and the.
Speaker 1: Clock had started, and I was like, Okay, I need to get a publishing deal essentially.
Speaker 2: And how did you go about getting that? You move here? What was your apartment like? I'm always curious that people's first Yeah, like the first like three months here? What was your apartment like? And what were your first couple of, you know, ventures out in the music world.
Speaker 1: I lived in Midtown in one of like the little apartments there.
Speaker 3: I cried like every day. I had no friends and no anybody.
Speaker 2: No roommate, no.
Speaker 1: I would listen to your guy's show actually, and I listened to a ton of Bobby Cast and I felt like you had the scoop on everything, and I had no friends and.
Speaker 2: So you guys were I was your friend? I just you are?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, But honestly, it was like anyone like you'd have one kind of friend.
Speaker 3: I actually remember Hannah Ellis, who was an artist.
Speaker 1: I had to write with her, and she invited me to a party. I remember, and I was so scared and I never forgot that she did that because I was like literally knew nobody was petrified and just rolled up.
Speaker 2: So how do you make friends? No, no, no, I've been had to do it. It's hard to do. I just wonder how you did it here and all your friends are probably also competing or trying for the same goals you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, I mean it's hard. I remember being like, if you're at like a yoga class, do you just like be like Hi?
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, I'm awkward as it is. So I don't really know.
Speaker 1: I think through like song writing and then you meet kind of one friend who introduces you to their friend and you kind of click with people.
Speaker 3: But I find that Nashville's pretty open.
Speaker 1: Like when I moved to Toronto, I made like one friend in like two years, like.
Speaker 2: I had the whole time. You left one friend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like one friend I could call.
Speaker 2: Did you do the n S A? I A And I say, I deal on songwriters? Or how did you get your first rites.
Speaker 1: I like I had just known a couple people through Canada because I would come down here and write with a couple of people, like I knew Phil Barton and knew like a few people. And then I went to be my I went to ask cap and just was like please, like just set me up with rights and just started like compounding and then like can I jump up with you and sing at the listening room or can I do this? And just I felt like really did everything I could to meet anyone, like going out, if you were playing a show, I was going to be there. I was just trying to talk to people, and yeah, I just needed to be able to stay.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming you beat your six month goal. Did you get a publishing a deal before six months? Yeah? How close?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so you can stay. I don't know the exactly because you can stay in the US six months at a time.
Speaker 3: So I had gone home and then like would come stack over.
Speaker 2: So if you go home and push the button and start over, yeah something as long as your like parents out white, I'd make sure you didn't get a job, so you had to come home. Yeah, I guess if she doesn't get a job, she has to go home every six months. Yeah, do you check in kind?
Speaker 3: I mean I would.
Speaker 1: I would go play shows in Canada mainly, and then it would kind of like reset or I'd spent like you be really strategic with like how much time you'd spend. But I think it was like pretty close. Yea, yeah, I'm so grateful. The company is called Delusion. They were like, sure, we'll give you down. I was like, thank God, Like it was just the most you know, amazing thing.
Speaker 2: I had to vouch for someone from Australia for a few years, okay, yeah, and so like I know the process and I would write the letter like she's not murdered anyone. Yeah, I believe in her. What was home like for your dad as a musician.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say he like fostered anything that I did, but he I think hereditarily like passed down his gifts to me.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: But my mom was really the one that saw something in me. I was very tenacious and I wasn't like the star ever, Like I was obsessed with it and I would audition for everything, go to the talent shows and do musical theater and I'd always get cast in the course, and I'd always get third place or not even play, and for whatever reason, I was just like, Okay, what's next, Okay, I just gotta do this.
Speaker 3: I just gotta do that. Like sometimes they look back, I'm like, how like, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Ever think why did I keep going if I never got it? Yeah? I think about that with me too, because I was never like the person. I was always mid but I always tried.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh I always say that.
Speaker 1: I say, like, I do be out here trying, like I will try and try and try and failm film film, keep trying.
Speaker 2: Did your mom have musical background.
Speaker 3: No, like not really. I think she just she was just a rock star.
Speaker 1: She she really pretty much raised me and my sister on her own.
Speaker 2: And so your parents were together, Uh No.
Speaker 1: They got divorced when I was like kind of a I think I was like twelve or thirty and you live.
Speaker 2: With your mom mostly. So were there instruments? Did your sister like music or did was it just like you're just wondering why all of a sudden you love music? It was genetic of it, you think.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think so, Like my dad had a guitar that I would steal and play, and but I just like loved music. I just remember feeling it's differently like I remember listening to like an Eda James song and being like feeling very emotional, like a really young age about these songs, and it just felt like it mattered. And then my dad loved music and he was involved in music too, and I think I was the kid, you know, really desperate for you know, their parents to pay attention to them as well. I've still dealing with that in therapy, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny. I was talking to my friend Eddie today today literally we were talking about some classic rock stuff. It was way before I was born, and he was like, how do you know the singers of these songs? And so I don't know my real dad, but my mom remarried my stepdad, And I said, well, like I wanted any relationship at all of my stepdad. Yeah, he loved classic rock. So I would memorize every song we play. This thing where I just felt like he would talk to me and pay me attention if I knew every song and every artist. And you saying that, I mean as basically a version the conversation I had earlier because I thought, if I know all these songs and all these artists, yeah, he'll have something he thinks about he can talk about with me. And it feels like a bit slightly different that you did music for a bit of attention or at least some kind of love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's certainly a combination.
Speaker 1: When I talked to my therapist about that, she said, you know, every villain has their origin story. That's what she said to me.
Speaker 2: I had therapy girl. Yeah, therapy boy have been for a long time.
Speaker 3: Game changer.
Speaker 2: Why for you? When say win for you? Because I think why is we'd be here for three hours because I take over the conversation.
Speaker 3: And yeah, me too, Me too.
Speaker 1: I went for a few years and then I stopped, and then I went for a few more years.
Speaker 3: Mine was literally.
Speaker 1: Like like it wasn't even like I needed help.
Speaker 2: Very desperate shorty Canada. Did you start here? No?
Speaker 3: I started here.
Speaker 2: Actually, how were you introduced to it? I was.
Speaker 1: I literally went to a doctor and I was like, I am having five panic attacks a week, Like I am out of control, Like physically I felt it physically. I was like I don't know what's going on. I'm like I don't want to leave my house, like, and she was like, okay, okay, we need to like and I ended up going to this place called center Stone, which and this was like just such a god thing, such a blessing. When I first moved to town, I go to this I literally google I go this thing called center Stone, and they're like, how much money do you have? And I was like, I just moved here, Like I'm like, uh, you know, I didn't have like anything, and they were like, okay, then let's.
Speaker 3: Take care of and they save my life.
Speaker 2: One, I appreciate being open about that and even mentioning therapy because it doesn't have the stigma that it used to have. But I think a lot of people don't want to mention it unless it's brought up and kind of dragged out of them. So I really appreciate you just even mentioning the facts out of nowhere, Like yeah, therapy, it's a massive part of my life for sure. Didn't even know what it was going on.
Speaker 1: It's like you're I always say, and I always just really encourage people and to go because I mean, sometimes you're just carrying so much and sometimes you don't know what you're carrying, But I felt like I had a lot of resentment, a lot of anger, and I was just dragging it around with me. It was affecting my life so much and had a lot of you know, just a ton of different things and to actually go through and it's hard.
Speaker 3: You stir it all up, and it's.
Speaker 1: Even harder at first, but then it starts to feel lighter and it's like you get your life back, you really do?
Speaker 2: Did they help you? Right? Meaning? And I want to give you two versions. I felt if I got too and this is not the correct term for someone that goes into therapy, I thought if I got too right or too correct, I would lose my edge. Yeah. I really felt like I'm able to like produce this stuff, create the stuff, right, these jokes, have these ideas and these thoughts because I'm a little broken, and if I can just say a little broken, then but if I get if I'm fixed, nobody's ever fixed. That's what I thought. If I'm fixed, I will not be able to have the same creative edge that I did. Did you ever worry about that a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I think like, yeah, I mean at your like rock bottom, obviously your like safety and like life is like more important.
Speaker 3: But I certainly feel like it's helped me more than.
Speaker 1: Anything, just understanding, like I think as a songwriter, even when I'm like.
Speaker 3: In this situation, you just don't have as much perspective.
Speaker 1: And so then when I'm out of the situation, I can turn around and see, you know, what was happening, and just.
Speaker 3: Like a different perspective of it.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what therapy does, is it like opens stuff up and gives you perspectives on situations and validates your experiences and your emotions and stuff to help you understand them better, which I think makes me a better songwriter.
Speaker 2: I was very wrong about thinking I would lose my age, and I agree with what you're saying, but I had to I was very concerned that if I got right, yeah, I would lose what got me to that point. But then what I kind of learned was because therapies it's weirdly intimate. Right, you don't know the person, oh for sure, you're saying things and it's a dance. Especially when you first go you're like, ah, do I trust you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, You're like, do I omit this or what?
Speaker 2: And then when I we would write and you know, I don't write like you doub but I write comedy stuff or just when i'd write books. It helped me be, It helped me share more intimately exactly, so much more so than it actually made me better. It was very counter what I thought was going to happen. Yeah, because of me going, I got to realize who I really am. And also that being kind of open about it actually allows more growth. And I wasn't as scared to share, for sure. And co writes are very intimate times. But you and somebody and you're like, here's what happened to me, and it sucked, Like writing.
Speaker 1: Intimates it, Oh yeah for sure, and you feel like, Okay, I want to write this type of song and like you got it's going to be the right room that you know, some songwriters just have a gift of making you feel very safe in the room until you kind of save that for that. But I think that's exactly it. It's like it's made me a more of an open person. And I think with my little platform that I have, I don't know, I mean, and you, I'm sure how many people have heard your story and have fell seen I mean, that's important. I mean, we're only here for a short amount of time, and it's like, if you can make one person feel like understood in their experiences or in their story, like, that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: Let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: Can I see a very cliche question? You ever met Sania Twain?
Speaker 3: I have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the ultimate cliche Canadian question.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at some point I was gonna ask it so licious.
Speaker 1: I actually got to do at the Canadian Country Music Awards.
Speaker 3: She was hosting, and I got to do a tribute to her while she watched you.
Speaker 1: She yeah, she comes on stage at the end, so I have a photo of me and her.
Speaker 2: Wait, you performed a tribute to her while she I would die. I'd be a wreck. I was, I'd be a wreck.
Speaker 3: It was insane and what was sad too?
Speaker 1: I mean we were It was me and two other girls and we were all so nervous, like this is as a Canadian girl, your hero, Like she was my first concert.
Speaker 3: She was like made me think I could do this. The whole thing. We were rereaking out and then I remember.
Speaker 1: Just like the trolls were like this is trash and we got so much like hate and people just and their opinions and stuff and you know they vocally sound bad or whatever it was, and it was like we were so nervous, Like it was just felt like the biggest moment, you know, in our lives so far.
Speaker 2: Remove the troll part for a second, because that had to happen. You had to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, a tribute you just you just get that, because do you They don't feel like, yeah.
Speaker 2: You can never do it as good as the original. It's like a cover covers or it's like a sequel to a movie. None of them are really as good as the original because they're almost not allowed to be because the original. So before, how did you feel while you were doing it or how did you feel when you were asked to do it? Because I think that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: It was insane.
Speaker 1: I honestly think like there was I got a call about like that it might be happening, and then I remember I got a text from like the music director was like, hey, so here's what you're going to be singing it just like this very I sang one of her new songs. So I mean I think one girl started with man, I feel like a woman, Then I forget the second one. Then I sang live spot to get good, and then we sang Who's Then I sang Who's bet of your boots Been under? And then she came out after so we kind of like alded like little bits of her songs.
Speaker 2: Did she come out and rehearsal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my gosh, she did. And she was so like telling us like, oh, try this and try that and like.
Speaker 1: Walk on beat and was like very excited for us and like a fun aunt is the only way like I could explain it. She was. Yeah, she was awesome. It was really really special.
Speaker 2: What's a week like for you now?
Speaker 3: Just depends.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like we've been on the road a lot playing shows.
Speaker 3: I still play a lot in Canada's.
Speaker 1: Whiles a lot of times, you know, crossing the border up, up, back and forth.
Speaker 2: I still guarantee so bigger up there because you have a history for sure. Yeah, that's awesome to be able to go and make money.
Speaker 1: Yeah it isn't Canadian dollars though, so anyway, have a backover. It doesn't really shake out to what it is up there.
Speaker 2: But do you know that you know the actual difference.
Speaker 1: I think it's like seventy two cents to the dollar or something.
Speaker 2: But still you're probably making good enough up there to take care of it.
Speaker 3: For sure, able to do it. I mean touring. I don't think people realize how expensive it is to.
Speaker 2: Do again tour.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say the thing that I just said a minute ago, and I'm so annoying when I do this. But I was just having this conversation yesterday with my friend. You know, George Burge is the artist. So George has a number one song hit the song Mind on You, and he has a song that's probably gonna be a number one again. And he was talking about opening for an artist and he was the baby act, and we were talking about and this wasn't a microphone because George is a dear friend of mine. He was like, we were making just enough to almost break even. Yeah, like taking oh big shows, but as the baby act, like not a bus, a van, having to pay the band, You're making fifteen hundred dollars a show. Yeah. And then he's like, by the time we would get back, if I was down seventy bucks, that was a win.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely so when you talk about.
Speaker 2: That, that's I mean, that's the reality of it. It's hard to make money. Yeah, touring, just straight up for sure.
Speaker 1: And it's gritty too, right, Like you're on the road and you're in a van and you're driving and you're tired, and then you come home and your nake in the deficit and you're.
Speaker 3: Like everyone else got paid and like it's.
Speaker 1: My name on the thing, that's why we're all here. It's like it's hard on like the psyche sometimes too, but like it it's so enjoyable, like playing shows is the best part of this whole thing that it somehow like you're.
Speaker 2: Just still do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's like it you really do love it that much for you to do a full weekend and be down seventy dollars and still be like.
Speaker 2: That was sweet, though, Why do you keep going? I don't know, Like, what's what's the ultimate goal?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 1: I feel like the with this business trying to understand that the goal line just can take and used to move like I mean, I would set goals for myself and then hit the goals and then you're like okay, like what's next. You don't even sit there and really enjoy it. It's it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: And so I don't know. I would love to just be able to.
Speaker 1: Like do this and make music and tour and play shows and support a family and but yeah, I mean putting like specific things, it's difficult. I've thought about that a lot.
Speaker 2: Are you able to enjoy successes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think I have had a Like I started super young, and I feel like my career I've been like a few degrees of separation of like really cool things for a while, Like I am such a like inch by inch by inch by inch, like it has gone so slow for me, and it's always I mean, like, for example, my producer Zat Crowell, the reason why we met is because that Dustin duet with Mackenzie Porter that was like a six week number one.
Speaker 3: I auditioned for that song and I thought I did such a great job and it.
Speaker 1: Went so well, and that's how I met Zach and him obviously, like I didn't get that, but it led to a relationship with us.
Speaker 3: But like I was, like, I was so close.
Speaker 1: That was such a huge song that you know could have been me or before I signed because I'm over at BBR.
Speaker 3: Now I did a showcase in town. The labels came out.
Speaker 1: Had one label literally looked me in the eem and be like get ready, like Monday, there's gonna be a deal on your table.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And then they were like, we just signed another girl. I was so crushed. I like remember just like dropping my phone and just sobbing, like I was so close, Like how did what happened over the weekend.
Speaker 3: So there's been a few times that it's just.
Speaker 1: Like gut hunt, you know, and then then something magical happens and then folsy right back in again. And I've had a lot of magical things and random incidences and just opportunities fall my lap out of the sky at the same time too.
Speaker 3: That had been so great.
Speaker 2: When let's use an example when BBR says, hey, we want to sign you. Yeah, can you enjoy and celebrate that before you start to worry about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was cool. After that other label didn't sign me, I went and bought a bottle of champagne and wrote, we'll sign a US for record deal and put it on. I was like to I'm like, this is happening, Like I'm tired of this, like this just needs to happen. And it was within the year that I that they offered me a deal, which is pretty cool. But yeah, I mean, yeah, you're stressed there because there's like a long period of time where you're in negotiations in the contracts the whole time, and then people are like, did you get the contract yet? I'm like, stop asking me that, like stress that they're going to change their mind or it's not going to come through or and then you get the deal and then you're like, now you got to keep the deal.
Speaker 3: It's just it never ends, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never For me, I'm I struggle. I can't control my thoughts, but I try to control my thinking a bit where I don't yeah, where I don't lose myself. But if something happens, I'm pumped before I'm able to really enjoy it, I'm like, Okay, well this will fall apart if I don't abc like I really I've gotten a little better at it, but I have trouble with identifying why I should be happy about something before I move the goalpost, because I know they're gonna I know they're gonna move, just like you mentioned a minute ago, they're gonna move. Yeah, if I get a TV show, I should be happy for a minute that I just got the show instead of worrying about how it's gona fail if I don't get ratings exactly. Yeah, so now there are lots of therapy. I can go, well, you're really gonna unravel very soon. However, we're going to take this day before we fully unravel. Yeah, and enjoy this for sure. Would you do you feel like you're a positive generally a positive person.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do, yeah, And I think that's why I'm able to still be here and still be doing it and still be trying it, because.
Speaker 3: I think it's like all about your attitude.
Speaker 1: And at the end of the day, I mean, people have hard jobs, you know, and I wake up and write songs like I'm very blessed, like I'm really really lucky. But I totally agree, Like the opera is a great example of me like intentionally standing there being like I set this goal for myself and I'm freaking here and I'm standing in the circle and I accomplish what I did, Like I felt very allowed myself to feel very very proud of myself.
Speaker 3: And celebrate that and will continue to.
Speaker 1: So I feel like when it does happen for me, it's gonna be really sweet because I've worked really hard and waited my turn and put the work in. So yeah, I feel like having a longer journey on the back end just allows you to be more grateful for it when it finally you know, you do get those opportunities to come.
Speaker 2: It's very nice of you to say, wait, I don't feel like you've waited turn. I feel like you just get up once you get knocked down, and yeah, you're gonna eventually take your turn. Yeah, because you're not much of a waiter. But I think you can't be a waiter. You have to take the blows. Yeah, because in this world, this industry, anything creative, the blows are going to happen life, I mean life, and absolutely yeah, the blows are going. And you know, it's never about if you're gonna get back up, it's how quickly can you get back up? If somebody called me and said you get a record deal, and they call a couple of days laters, they never mind. Yeah that sucks. Yeah, how do you trust anybody ever again to say we're gonna work on a record deal like that would be I would be burnt out immediately. Yeah, I'm gonna ask another question you probably get asked, but what's the my Little pone the cartoon then my Little Pony. Yeah, you had a voice, so what was was that a real job? Assistant job? What was the job?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, I honestly, this was so long ago, which is just hilarious, like ten years ago, right, yeah, like it's just floated around and I'll get comments to you on time, be like your Sonata dusk and because.
Speaker 2: That was that's how you say it, I wasn't gonna try to say it.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I sang the vocals like I sang a lot of pad like harmony like vocals for the soundtrack for this my Little Pony movie, and did all the vocal parts for this pony named Sonata, and like it's like my littling Battle of the Bands or something like that. And I remember I made like a few thousand dollars and I was like, this is so sick. This is like, you know, I didn't have anything at the time, and she has followed me around, you know, and people love that movie.
Speaker 3: I guess I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, So how did you get that.
Speaker 3: Job, I think.
Speaker 1: So I was in this like vocal group, like a glee club adjacent thing, and somebody in the group like, I don't know, it was just a really random I just got a call for They were like, oh, you're a singer, and I remember I had like staying country music and listened to it a ton and they kept being like, okay, you have a little twang in your voice, like stop singing it like that.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: And they wrote to check for a couple thousand bucks. Yeah. Yeah, was it a one time thing? Another couple of things? Because you did background vocals on Jelly Roll and Cole, Yeah, a couple of their songs. You probably have done way more than that. Yeah, So how did you get those jobs? Were you just doing that generally, just trying to make money at first?
Speaker 3: Honestly what they.
Speaker 2: Come do as the artist?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: So, so I started working with Zach and we were writing together a bunch and.
Speaker 3: He called me one day and he was like, I'm doing Cole song. He's Carolina.
Speaker 1: He's like a remake of this song from the nineties, and I want to put Jody Messina's part in it because it's in a different key. She's kind of like sounds like a chipmunk or whatever, like.
Speaker 3: Can you come proof of concept.
Speaker 1: It's not going in the record, but I just want to see what it would sound like if we can like mimic her voice. And I remember I was like, okay, so this is like I mean, I just get my car, drive to Forest Hills or whatever and sing this thing that's not going to be in the song.
Speaker 2: No one's going to hear it placeholder.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: It's really high too, so I like squeak it out and he's like, sweet, this sounds awesome, thank you, and I leave. And then literally like a week later, he's like cool, loves it, like it's going to stay.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my gosh. And then became like the biggest song ever.
Speaker 1: And then Zach called me for the Jelly Row record. I did some sam Hunt stuff. I've sang some and dust and stuff. The new Chevrolet song that just went number one with him and Jelly. That's me singing the background of that song and Zach will just turn me up and I'll be things, So do.
Speaker 2: You sing that as loud and pure as possible? Right then he just turns you down.
Speaker 3: What do you mean? Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: You're just singing the crap out of here.
Speaker 3: He's like, just go off flake, just saying.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing like I grew up listening to Like I was obsessed. I really obsessed with Rascal Flats and I would copy all of Gary's runs. And I love Big Belters and Martina and singers and stuff. So my favorite part of the recording process is the ad lib track. I'm like, let me go, And that's what Zach would do, like just sing like a bunch of stuff, sing some harmonies, sing some ad libs.
Speaker 3: So it's really creative, it's really fun.
Speaker 1: And then I just get surprised about like what ends up in it. And sometimes I feel like it's it like adds a lot to it, and I'm yeah.
Speaker 2: Grateful for Sometimes I think I called Zach and be like, why do you turn me up a little bit? Yeah? Like I was a little too low? Yeah, Like I really, I know it's background, but give me, give me just a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm like, there's a song on the New Jelly Roll record that I sang some and I'm like listening, I'm like, oh, I in here.
Speaker 3: I can farely hear myself.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Uh. What the ad libs are interesting. Some people hate the ad libs because you have to be vulnerable do ad libs, meaning you're just free to do whatever you want. And to do great ad libs you have to be stupid and great and bad and because it's a playground. Yeah, and to nail it, you have to experiment.
Speaker 1: It's just like going for it. But it's what's the craziest thing about it. And it's similar to you know, keithur been ripping a guitar solo. It's coming to him in real time through his brain to his hands and out like it is happening in real time.
Speaker 3: And same thing with that.
Speaker 1: It's just like you're just singing and you're coming up with these different notes and combinations and you just kind of like let something else do it. And so it's really fun, I think, but then you miss so hard.
Speaker 3: And it's very embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah for you very vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: But that's how you get greatness, is to allow the opportunity for a disaster to happen. Like exactly. You don't get the really great unless you make yourself so vulnerable that you get kicked on the nuts. You don't have nuts but me to get kicked on the nuts. Yeah, so you act right, I had done. I didn't watch it, but I mean, honestly, I didn't watch Country Crush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Watch it, but I watched a couple of clips of it, and I didn't know if that was like something you did it from being a kid all the way until now. No, because of my little pony in the Country Crush, I was just doing a homework.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: No, I have just been a girl that will I was terrified for that. I had no acting experience. I think I did like something really Yeah, I did some like commercial auditions and stuff, and then I did musical theater, but they like heard me or saw me on the internet and they were like, she looks like our character, she sings like our character.
Speaker 3: Can she act?
Speaker 1: And I was like not really, and yeah, and we did it. Jana Kreamer's in the movie as well, and so it was awesome, Like it was a fun experience and it actually the money I made for that movie, which wasn't like a ton, but it was enough to actually help me move to Nashville, so that's really cool.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: And it's like a silly Hallmark key movie where I played a country singer, so it was easy to kind of cosplay. But yeah, I'm not an actress. I'm just somebody ready to work.
Speaker 2: Nerve wrack jump into. It was that though, because again have a very small window of acting. I did a little movie once, Vanessa Hudgens, but I had like nine lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did a bunch of Nashville where I started off as an extra and then eventually that had me playing myself doing lines with Connie Britton. But I felt I go back to being vulnerable. I felt so vulnerable because I'm with people who do this all the time. Yeah, and their expectation is they should all nail it because they're all professionals. And I get dragged in and they're like, you have four lines with Connie Britton on Nashville, all the camera, and I'm like, I just want to screw this up. Yes, what was your feeling like acting?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I mean I was completely terrified for sure, and the same thing I was just I felt really out of my element.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 1: I was the only non actor around, everybody knew what they were doing, so I leaned really heavily on my co star.
Speaker 3: We became really good.
Speaker 1: Friends, and I for like every line, I'd be like, wow, should I say this?
Speaker 3: Like I was so lost.
Speaker 1: But I also think that there was like a level of like naivity going into it, Like I really didn't know.
Speaker 3: It's hard, long hour, like actors are. It is so such a gritty thing to.
Speaker 1: Do long hours, and you're really just having to just like buy into the whole thing. And really, I mean it's very impressive what they do. And so I felt like I was like lost, in secure the whole process really, but I did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How do you feel about watching yourself back?
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's hard. I think it's hard to find the perspective. I mean now I watch a music video back and I'm like, oh, like it's just I don't like, I'm like, wow, so cool.
Speaker 3: I'm too like, I don't know, self deprecating to really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is that movie is like a whole market movie. It's supposed to be you know what it is.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's very but it's supposed to be exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I felt like, personally, I was pretty cringe, but like that's also me and I think that about myself mostly always, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think the one house down from the Girl next Door is such a so clever thank you who came up with that? Me? That's it's so clever, Thank you so much. We just put Mike, do we just put it on something? Yes, Women Higher Country? So so I programm Women of by Our Country the show, and so I go through and listen to stuff, and I just saw the title even before I listened to it. I was like, that is so clever of a title, and obviously the song is great. So I don't know how where did that come from? Such a vague, stupid question, but I really it's so clever. I like, like, what was the genesis of even that thought?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: The last single that I put out before this project was a song called Makeup, and it's literally about like breaking family, like trauma cycles essentially, and I felt like I had more to say on it, but I wanted it to be in more of a fun way. So I feel like I could have written that song in a bunch of different ways, but ultimately it's just about feeling kind of like on the outside looking in, I was very envious up of the other families and they all looked really perfect to me, and mine wasn't. And I had this kind of feeling that I carried around with me that I was other or blemished in some kind of way. And then I met my husband and he is like the golden all American, you know boy, and he saw my story as just like strength and like resilience and just like I don't know, he really like embraced it and thought it was really admirable of everything that I had done, and he loved me for exactly who I was, and so it just I felt like it was like who knew? Like everything you were looking for was one house now with the girl next door, and like a line at it is like I wasn't the daughter of the Joneses, but you saw the blue sky in my hurricane. So it's just kind of like I think true acceptance comes from within. But this song is about somebody like loving you for you and your story, and I think that can be really healing too.
Speaker 2: I feel like I could be wrong, Like even talking about that, you get a little bit emotional. Yeah, like I felt like there you got a little little bit. I just think the title is so clever, but also I feel I feel it a bit too. When you're like, like, there are things that I think I was ashamed of growing up that My wife's like, dang, you actually did that and got through that. Yeah, but I was so ashamed of it like that, I didn't even want to talk about it much less. I can't believe somebody would think like you said that that's admirable.
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, but for somebody to be like dang, like no, like you and look where you are now, that is amazing, Like that makes you so special. And so to kind of like switch the narrative and be like, yeah, I am that person coming from where I came from, and I'm excited about that now.
Speaker 2: When you're like this is the name of the EP, this is the song, were like, I nail that title. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I walked in that day.
Speaker 1: I was like, I've got a song title for you, and the writers were like, let's go.
Speaker 2: That's such a good title and concept that if I had written it wrong this song, I would have kept it and moved it and tried it again.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: And I and the thing was is I could have written that song five times, Like it could have been like a really sad, slow song, It could have been all of these things. But I love the way that it turned out, like it's so fun and empowering, but in a very subtle way, like you don't listen to it and feel all these emotions.
Speaker 2: But for me, it does this project more than your past work. Do you feel like you've been given freedom to be more emotional in your songs and maybe say things that have a little more nuance, or maybe you've given yourself the freedom to do so. Do you feel that, Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: I think it's so important. I mean, I just feel like I'm just growing as a writer, growing and growing, and my songs are just getting better and better. And that's just as a result of my time here in the community of songwriters my A and R. Actually, Katie Kirkover, I was playing her some songs and she.
Speaker 3: Was like, did you go through that?
Speaker 1: And I was like, no, about like this other song that I wrote, And She's like, I just want you to start writing songs.
Speaker 3: And I wrote songs that I'm like, I don't think this heard just.
Speaker 1: Really personal songs, very intimate songs, very looking back. I kind of like looked at some experiences in love and I'm like, I want to write about this, and like this was a really cool thing and just really dove in and I'm really proud of it, like as a songwriter more than anything. But yeah, I mean, having a label that just gives you permission to just kind of go for it like that is really cool.
Speaker 5: The Bobby Cast will be right back. This is the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a hard question to answer, and don't laugh it off. You to really try to answer this question because I hate when I'm asked this question. But why do you think that people like you?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, like immediately what popped in my head? And I'm like, what do they?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Which is just that says everything I guess, But I think I think it's something about ony. I think that I've had a few songs like in my catalog where I've been very vulnerable and honest.
Speaker 3: I think people connect to that.
Speaker 2: Let's let's not talk about fans, Let's talk about your friends. Why do you think your friends like you? Oh?
Speaker 1: I think I'm a good friend. I think I show up for people. I think that I'm not afraid to ask hard questions. I think I like, I really desire having a deep connection with people more than anything, Like I want to have a real conversation. I don't want to talk like about the weather. I want to kind of get into it. And people are sometimes afraid to have those conversations.
Speaker 3: And I'm not.
Speaker 1: And so I feel like I'm a friend that people can go to and be like, I'm going through this really hard thing, like I need some help, and I'm like a safe place to do that.
Speaker 2: Why do you think your husband loves you.
Speaker 3: I think for maybe some of the same reasons.
Speaker 1: Like he's like he has said before, like I felt like I was asleep before I met you, Like I feel like you kind of like opened this whole other world and emotional world. And he grew up down here, and I think like he was just in the system kind of thinking like you know, you do this and you do that, and everything is happens a certain way, and this is what your life's going to look like. And then we met and I was like, you can do anything you want, Like you could be an astronaut. Really if you wanted to like you could do anything, and I think there's just like a freedom and strength. And I think he was like very attracted to something different than him, and he like kind of keeps me grounded and on earth. And I think that I shake it up and so we make a kid.
Speaker 3: We make a good partnership, for sure.
Speaker 2: I love that exercise because it's so hard to get people to say nice things about themselves because they feel like they're going to sound arrogant or cocky. And sometimes people don't even know until they really think. It's hard.
Speaker 3: That's a hard no. I was literally like, that's that's.
Speaker 2: Why I press it with I'm serious. I'm being serious about this, and I hate that.
Speaker 1: The first thing that I thought was like do they like which is just you know, same, which is sad that it shouldn't be like that, because I know I have I have great friends, I have great relationships in my life, like I'm you know.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you gotta sometimes I have to remind myself, you know what I am kind of cool? Yeah, Like I mean really, because I for sure constantly it's always what is not good, what is not working? And so my therapists was the same thing. What they ask me a question to make me say something good, and it's so uncomfortable totally. But then when I'm done, I'm like, oh, I don't hate me as much as I thought I did. Why do you think? Like you mentioned Dustin, you mentioned Keith Urban, but you work with both those guys on the project. Dustin is on the same label as you. Yeah, so that's a natural. If he enjoys what you do, you enjoy it he does. It's easy because you just sign a couple of things. Everything's in house. What about Keith? How did you guys start working together?
Speaker 1: So when Zach and I finished the production for a One House Down, I thought it sounded like reminiscent of kind of like an old Keith song. And I literally said to Zach I knew that he knew him. I said, would you text him this song and ask him to play soolo on it? And Zach was like, Okay, he's.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean he's like, I'd give it.
Speaker 1: Nineteen percent chance that he says yes, And I said I'll take nineteen percent and he said yes.
Speaker 3: So you just got to go like why not?
Speaker 1: The worst he can say is no or like not reply, But he replied and said the song is killer, like I would love to And then you know, came that week and I don't know why, Like Keith is like very famous and like my hero, Like I don't know why he heard that and was like, yeah, I'll play on it.
Speaker 3: That just I think says so much about him.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's just like such a music. Why do you think Keith Urban wanted I'm not going to let you do that. Why do you think Keith Urban agreed to play on your song?
Speaker 1: I think because it's a great song. I think he's a great song. It's a great idea.
Speaker 2: I don't think you were being self deprecating there, like to be like ha hambi, I mean we just naturally go there.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but it I do think that for Keith to play on like I don't know if he's ever seen my name before, you know what I mean, for him to get this song of somebody even better and hear it and be like I'm going to play on that. This song is great, Like that is awesome. I feel like that says so much about him, and that also says so much about the song as well too.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's really cool. Yeah, for sure, the first time you heard it, Oh my gosh, where were you? Would you listen to it only because you get file right and it's.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, I actually, well, I got a video of him playing.
Speaker 3: The solo crazy yeah on it's so good.
Speaker 1: The video is amazing and he's just shredding it. I don't know how many takes it. I feel like it was one. It's so good and it's so Keith Urban, Like it's like warn't weren't. Like it's everything I could have wanted it to be. And I was literally driving and almost crashed.
Speaker 3: My car, no joke.
Speaker 1: I was like, what, like because I just thought the whole time, like something's gonna come up, like because I knew he was coming on Monday to do it, and I'm like, okay, but like he's freaking Keith Urban, Like you know, Nicole is going to need him somewhere.
Speaker 3: He's gonna like have to cancel. Like I don't know. I was just scared, you know.
Speaker 1: I keep my hopes on dreams on the floor of the bars, on the floor, I always say. But then and then Zach just sent me that video and I was like, this is the greatest video I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It's super cool, it's awesome. There's six songs on the on the EP. Did you was it at seven or eight? Was it a three or four? And you had it like we was to get to that number? What happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never had a harder time picking songs for a project. There's two that I'm like, are I guess left on the cutting room floor that I love so much.
Speaker 3: That I mean, I think that they'll have their story elsewhere.
Speaker 1: But it was literally just you know, packaging it to a digestible amount and having to choose, which was really tough.
Speaker 2: So what's the goal in releasing music? Do you want to? You have this Keith as an example, he will put out singles like four or five of them over a year and a half and never put out a project. Yeah, and then finally he's like and here's the rest, Yeah, and here's twelve songs after he's put out four or five singles, Like, what is your desirable way to release music?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think, like I like the way that I think there's a science behind why people release music the way they do. I feel like when an artist goes dark for a minute and then they released one song you're very excited about the one song, you fall in love with the one song, they put another one out. Then you get the projects Like I feel like ideally, I mean, I really want to make.
Speaker 3: A full length record.
Speaker 1: That's of course a big dream of mine, and it to how like a cohesive story, Like I feel like that's really cool for it to feel like they all make sense with each other, and it's very clear, like what direction you're going in.
Speaker 3: So that's like a huge goal.
Speaker 1: But I just try to think of, like how do I like to digest music. I remember years ago John Mayer released Songs and Waves.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: Like, I thought that was so cool and he I think it was like three songs or four songs at a time.
Speaker 3: I love that because that was so amazing. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: And you were just so excited about the next wave of songs that were gonna come out.
Speaker 3: So I feel like there's like a bunch of different ways to do it.
Speaker 2: I used to be a big album guy, and then I slowly, like TikTok culture take me over in that I just don't have the attention span. Yeah, And what happened was and I think that I was losing out because there was a lot of great music that I wouldn't get to mm hmm. And I think I would miss out on great songs because I'd go through once and save like three of them and really never give songs an opportunity to breathe. Therefore, I missed out on so many great songs. So then yeah, when John may here did that, I loved it. Yeah, because it was three songs listen to five or six times, really got to and if I loved them, I keep them. If not, where if somebody puts out twelve songs, I unfairly, yeah, probably don't give them the attention that they deserve. And I'm only gonna listen to twelve songs on an album if I love love the artists too, Like I've got to be an a plus fan to listen to an entire album.
Speaker 1: It's a lot like the double albums and stuff. It's a lot, a lot of a lot of music to digest, for sure.
Speaker 2: So the rest of the year, like what happens between now and like Christmas?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we I feel like we just got back from our last IS show in Sacramento, But things come up so often as well, So I don't want to like say that, like, you know, there's always like, oh, this person dropped out of this weekend of shows and stuff, so who knows. But starting to write a little bit and it's so crazy and like I just put this thing out and it's like Okay, start writing again, like what's mex which is exciting, and just continue to I mean the world of like promotion is just like creating content and new ideas and how do we you know, get these songs heard and in a creative way and stuff. So I think it's a lot of brainstorming, a lot of filming, a lot of you.
Speaker 2: Know, are you tick talking every day? Are you every day trying to do something? Try to Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I wouldn't say, like, I mean, I've had songs do great on TikTok. I've got you know, a decent you know, amount of followers and stuff on TikTok. It's definitely like not my favorite thing about this, Like I mean, I'd rather play the show and like do write the song and record the music and stuff.
Speaker 3: But I think it's cool that you can connect with your fans every single day.
Speaker 1: It's like the modern day putting your sometimes it's poster on the well.
Speaker 3: I mean I could go. I mean it's just such.
Speaker 1: A secular thing goes around. It's like it's good and bad. It's oversaturated. I feel like we're all just screaming into.
Speaker 3: A canyon like lessen to I saw Please.
Speaker 1: Like over and over. Like my whole news feed is just like overwhelming. Because I follows somebody like artists and stuff. It's it's a lot, for sure.
Speaker 2: It is definitely a tool. That's how I have to look at it. Yeah, because if it used wrong mm hmm, it's terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If used right, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I kind of fit somewhere in the middle and do it both ways. You know. I saw jelly roll just like I'm out on Twitter. Yeah, that's such a toxic place. Yeah, I now I don't respond to people on Twitter anymore. Have them aren't even real anyway? Yeah, I get way too, like I want to fight people.
Speaker 3: It's but it's psychological violence. It's messed up.
Speaker 1: It really is what people think that they can say about other people. It surprises me every day when all like read something and I'm like, who are you? Are you like a regular person like who says like that to anybody, it's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I've assigned myself to not responding, and I'm using it as a tool because I think I gave it too much of a space ye to actually worry about caring about what people thought there. Yeah, when that place, it doesn't matter if it's Facebook and Twitter's now assessble like they want to not care. Yeah, they want it's it's so like there's great from it and then there's really terrible from it. Yeah, And I think if people going into it understand that it's not real either way, the best and the worst.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think though I'm a little worried, Like I feel like as artists and people in this industry were often very insecure.
Speaker 2: We're often while we do it, we're looking for love.
Speaker 1: We're just looking for love. We're like very self deprecating, like whatever. And now we're like kind of in front of this camera with this filter on and we're staring at ourselves all day, and like I'm like, I don't know, Like.
Speaker 3: I just am worried.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're all just so sensitive to and then you're I mean, you're exposing yourself to all of that, Like every single day. It's just it's an added like a mental health element to this that I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: I worry about, like I don't know some people with it, like if they couldn't handle that aspect of it that they bow out And you're like, I know, but you're so talented, Like it shouldn't be whether or not you're mentally strong enough to handle that.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It just feels like we're going to miss out on some really great artists.
Speaker 2: I mean never thought about it like that. That's super interesting, and that my generation was the first to really have social media and so there was no mental health about what happens because of it.
Speaker 1: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: Where I think now it has gotten extremely violent at times online, but I think now there's an understanding though of what it can do to people. And I think we're now starting to see an understanding too of there being a of a need for mental health understanding with social media. Yeah, I didn't have that as a kid, have that as a kid, you know, when we started using it, But now hopefully, yeah, they're starting to be an understanding of how it affects mental health, yes, and that it's being taught. Maybe how do you hope so I know? Otherwise it's just death. I can't look at comments to anything I know. I start. I feel I should feel liked on social media because I have a big fun But I go on social media. I go to like the by Bone Show page. I'm the most hated man in America on my own page. It's so bizarre where I go twice a year. That's it. Yeah, And those are the rules I put on myself because I know how it makes me feel. But it took me a long time to get there because it did not make me feel good. And I would just keep going back, searching, wanting to get it. But it's but that if that doesn't tell you, because we have, you know whatever, a million amount of people. I'm just that faith Facebook's I don't get on Facebook anyway, but just an example. Yeah, it's ugly anyway, but I should go there. That's a page that celebrates me and my friends and what we've built. I'm the most hated man in America on that page. It's so often. It should be the one place I should go if I'm having a down.
Speaker 1: Days the crap out of me come on, confusing it's so confused.
Speaker 3: It really is. That's so confusing on your own stuff.
Speaker 2: The one thing I have learned about social media, though, if you just do it consistently, your numbers go way up. Like just like, continue to do it. I put up the stupidest video the other day. I was like, let me test this out, because you have you bring in these consultants come in or people like an agency will get on and be like, this is what we've learned about the algorithm. Nobody knows anything. However, they'll go if you do his post every day. So I was like, I'm just gonna put up stuid stuff for a while. And I put up the dumb like dumbest three videos all three days, and they went crazy. I shouldn't care, right, I just talked about mental health. I shouldn't care. I still care, of course, but it's like if I just put something stupid up sometimes I focus on it's going to be great, yeah, or if I just put up it should be quality over quantity. It's not. How if you just thought up quantity, like you end up winning that bull crab. Yeah, that's why it's bull crap totally, and that's why some people are stars. Because they just do quantity, not as so we do quality, especially you. Yeah, I'm I'm a fan. I'm super happy that we were able to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I just again, the first time I saw One House Down from the Girl next Door, I was like, that's so clever. Everything has been written every single way. Yeah, it feels like that, right, every song has been written every way. And when I read that before, I was like, oh, that's the holy p we were just going through music. I was like that. I already liked the song before I even heard it. I was like, if that's that concept, I was just like lightning strike. So that did that to me.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so check out. I mean that's the whole name of the project. It's six songs. I don't know anything, what about anything else. People should follow you on social media, but only write nice comments.
Speaker 3: Sensitive.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have your name, which is nice because you have a unique name.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't get my name. Oh yeah, I know. It sucks, mister Bobby Bones. They can't even get my freaking name made La Marlowe. Hey, good job here, thank you. That's cool and they we're playing bar fight, right, Mike, yep, sweet, I love that one, I hope.
Speaker 3: So it's good that one. I'm very proud of BLA. Actually I'm proud.
Speaker 2: Of all of them, but that was why I would have been like, oh no, I hate that one. We're like, why do we do this interview if you hate? Like, okay, well dude, spend a second on that. Why did you react that way? Why do you love bar fight? Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm so proud of it.
Speaker 1: I had this like very I mean, I was like, remember it was like a middle of an idea. I'm like, my heart and my mind are in a bar fight over you, and I just am like, oh my gosh, Like the heart is out of control, it's flipping tables, it's like freaking out, and then the mind is like running after it.
Speaker 3: Like I had this whole like movie in my head and.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is gonna be an epic song and it was and it is.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool. I like, I like confident mad one. Yeah, she's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I'm working on it.
Speaker 2: Cool. All right, you guys follow at Madeline and I will see you sometime very soon. I'm sure. All right, if we had an applause room, we'd all applaud, but we don't, so we just ended awkwardly perfect cool.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to a Bobby Cast production.