Speaker 1: New features coming soon to the iPhone and Apple Watch. Should you opt out of Amazon's sidewalk I've been riding the coolest electric bike ever. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer the questions you send me. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to the show. Thanks for tuning in. I mentioned that last month was the best month for the show in a long time, probably like a year, you know, since people are finally commuting back to work and all that good stuff. So thank you for all the downloads. Thank you for listening. If you're new, thanks for being on board. If you're you know, a regular, Thanks for sticking with me.
Speaker 2: Sixty five weeks.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's been sixty five weeks that I've worked at home. I just asked Siri. I can't believe it. And you know, I've been asking to go back into work. It's kind of complicated. It's not like as easy as you think in California at least, so apparently there's some rules and regulations for people going back in and it's a whole big thing, and so I you know, they said, just stay stay at home, just kind of stay put, relax, do your thing. You're doing great, everything's good. So I'm gonna keep doing what I do. Although the world is reopening, which is really nice. I mean, you know, we had some friends over last night, which was the first time that we've all been together. Well that's not true. We went to the park a couple times. So what I'm saying, like in our backyard. It's the first time we've all been together at my house in over a year. So it felt really good. The kids were just wild. They were all running like they were just wild, wild maniacs for like the first hour and then they realized like, oh okay, yes these are all my friends again, like I can you know, play again, and it was great. So it was a nice time and it felt felt pretty normal. I gotta say, so hopefully things are probably actually, if you're listening outside of California, things have probably been like that for a while. In California. We're kind of like this, we're our own thing, right, I Mean, California is just it was just a little bit different throughout this whole thing, but it seemed to work because you know, it's I guess we're getting back to very normal very soon. So that's going to be exciting for most of us. This week another virtual event from Apple. Apple held their Worldwide Developers Conference twenty twenty one, and they showed off the new features coming soon to the iPhone, coming soon to the iPad, coming soon to mac Os Monterey, keeping with a California theme, and then what else, there's Apple Watch, so all kinds of stuff. I'm not going to go for everything, honestly, Quite honestly, yes, there was a lot of updates. Was any of it like, oh my gosh, Like, was I sitting in my chair just going this is just mind boggling?
Speaker 2: Probably not, but a lot of it was cool.
Speaker 1: A lot of it, you know, a lot of it's catching up to Android. And I know I'm not saying that facetiously. It's just kind of like the reality of the way Apple does things versus Google, and it's just you know, Google kind of does things, or early Samsung does things. Early Apple takes a little bit more time, but they do it with a little bit more refinement. And it's also just a different way of thinking about things. And I've talked about this before. With the iPhone, the features go to millions and millions of devices around the world all at once, whereas with Android things are much more fragmented. Google might have a feature and it might not reach every phone, but it's available, it's out there, and it's gotten better, i think in recent years. But some of the major updates Share play. This is kind of like the ability to do things on your phone with other people, so share your screen, share TV shows and stuff that you're watching. Of course, a lot of this requires that you have an iOS device on the other end or an iPhone on the other end, and also depending on the app letting you do this, So that's one thing. FaceTime got some big updates. You know, it's kind of too little, too late, but of course a lot of people use FaceTime, so I'm sure these features will be used. But it's kind of like all the stuff that you had available on Zoom and other video chatting programs are now coming to FaceTime. So you can look at people in a grid view. There are microphone situations to kind of block out background noise, a portrait mode to blow your background spatial audio. Apple's really big on spatial audio right now, which is audio that comes in from all directions. They just introduced it on Apple Music, which I tested it out and it was fine. I mean, it's one of these things that you know, it's probably a slow burn. You know, it's like, we'll take it for granted that will have it in a few years right now. It's not like you know, they said it was kind of like going from SDTV to HDTV or to whatever. But to me it didn't really feel that way. But I still need to listen to it in a better pair of headphones. I just tried the AirPods.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I will say, if you do listen to this podcast, you say.
Speaker 2: Rich, what are you talking about? You were going wild.
Speaker 1: Over spatial audio when you listen to it when you watch that movie on your iPad up in Seattle or Redmond back in January, And yes I did.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I thought the movie sounded fantastic. So maybe I just need to listen a little bit more. I think the problem with audio is that, you know, like music, the way I consume it, I'm always it's either in my car or in my house. It's more of a background thing, like I'm never actively listening per se, and I know a lot of people probably do that, but I just don't, Like I don't sit down on my couch and like listen to the new album from someone or listen to music. Like it's always just put on in the background, and so the three D spatial audio stuff doesn't really occur to me because it's just not a way that I listen. But in general, it's kind of cool the iPhone getting some new ways to focus, these focus filters, so you can have like sort of different home screens or different setups for your different situations.
Speaker 2: I think this is a big one because I struggle with this a lot.
Speaker 1: You know, on the weekends, I really want to be a little bit more disconnected from my phone, but it's really tough because you know, in social media and with just your phone, it's just it's just very tough to give it up and just you know, like I ideally would just travel with my Apple Watch, but then I don't have a camera, and then what I'm gonna bring like a standalone camera, which I don't really have at this point, so I'd have to buy one of those, and then that's kind of weird because then you got to sink all the stuff up, So I haven't found a good way of doing that.
Speaker 2: What else, what Else?
Speaker 1: A big addition, Oh, Apple Wallet, they did this thing where it's like you can store your ID, but they didn't really say which states you're going to support it, but that's coming soon. That's kind of my personal dream that if that is a thing, that would be amazing. You know, if I could travel with just my iPhone and a couple bucks in my pocket, you know, like some cash and then just use tap to pay, that would be really cool and have my ID there. I know you can in California, at least I believe you can use a digital copy of your insurance card on your phone. So I've never tried that. I still print mine out, but it's still pretty cool that I think they accept that in California, So we're getting there. It's not like California is not totally on board with that.
Speaker 2: What else? What else? Live text?
Speaker 1: So this was a kind of a big demo they did, but I didn't find it that exciting because you know, this is Google Lens, and basically it's the ability to use your camera to search for things. So when you take a picture of something, you can search the text, you can scan the text, you can copy a phone number, you can dial a phone number, you can see a landmark whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: You know, that's been going on on Android for a long time, or not just on Android, It's been going on on Google Lens for a very long time. And you know the difference is now that Apple's doing it. It's built into iOS, which means more people will just somehow discover it because it's part of the operating system.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You know, with Google you had to use a Google app, you had to download the app. So this all goes back to kind of the way Apple does things versus everyone else. And you know Apple, when they do things, they build it in. It's at it's it's very much at the core of their operating system. And that's kind of like the big difference. I think that's about it for for iOS fifteen. Again, nothing to me like screaming my name, like, oh my gosh, I can't wait to update to get these features, but I think the focus will be kind of cool. Notifications got a little upgrade as well, so we'll say I mean I think that it's always you know, Apple has gotten to the point where it's just kind of a solid upgrade. It always adds useful features. They do a really nice job with things. Yes, the Android folks will say it's been on Android forever, but it's you know, I was one of those people for so long, But it's just Apple people don't care about Android. They're not looking at Android. They're they're not using the features on Android. So to them, it's it's different and it's new, so you can't really compair the two. And it's not one of these things where you know it's one is good, one is bad.
Speaker 2: They're just different.
Speaker 1: There are, like I've always said, there are things I like about Android, there's things I like about iOS.
Speaker 2: And yes, I've been.
Speaker 1: Using an iPhone quite regularly for a long time now, which is I think the longest I've ever gone. But you know, I do find myself itching to get back to Android, especially with the Pixel six if that's going to be a solid device. I'm hoping that Google launches something because I do like to go back and forth, because they do offer different things and I think that they both have their pros and cons. All right, let's get to the first question. This is actually a comment. Greg says, hey, Rich last Friday, I believe you were answering a question I guess the last podcast about saving messages from an iPhone a while back.
Speaker 2: I use this app called phone View.
Speaker 1: Is saves text messages, including photos just as they were written, also voicemails, media. I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it worked very well. Hope this helps. I looked it up. It's from ECAM and I love ECAM software. Some surprised that it wasn't aware of this app, but phone View it does kind of what we were talking about where it's, you know, Apple lets you make a backup of your phone, but it doesn't really let you see what's in that backup easily. And so this is thirty dollars. And again this kind of goes back to what I was talking about that it's it's a paid thing. So on Android, yes, I believe the app I mentioned was free, but it was like five bucks if you wanted to get no ads or something. But on iPhone they don't really have a free solution that I found. So yes, this phone view will do it. And it seems I haven't tested it, but it looks like it would the other one, I think Tony regular listener chimed in with I Amazing and I looked at that one and I actually got in touch with them to get a demo account, and I did download it, and yes, this one looks like it does exactly what you want. It's kind of like their entire business, and so it's actually pretty cool. You can browse the contents of your phone in a very easy way. It's kind of like the app that you wish that Apple would have made, right, It's kind of like what iTunes, just it covers everything up, makes everything very complicated to kind of transfer stuff and things like that. But this seemed like it was very easy. Now I could not actually test it out just yet because my phone has so much stuff on it right now that I need to clear off all the pictures because it just tries to back up everything and you can't just browse your phone. It has to actually make a backup of your device and then it browses the contents of the backup. So it's a little tricky, I think, because they're getting around some of the things that Apple puts in place. But again, it's called Imazing dot com. And now, how much is this one? Because they gave me a license.
Speaker 2: To check it out.
Speaker 1: This is a device lifetime for five three Apple devices is fifty bucks. One device is thirty four ninety nine for lifetime. So that's not too bad. You know, one time purchase thirty five bucks. You can you know, kind of crack into your iPhone. It's not doing anything bad. It's just that's you know, I just use that term. It's not a bad thing. But those are some of the apps. The other one that I like is called Walter and this is kind of a one way app but wa lt r and they just come out with a new version I believe, called Walter Pro. And this allows you to drag and drop any file onto your iPad or iPhone. And so if you use an iPad or an iPhone a lot with a lot of different things like books and kindle books and videos and stuff and music and you just want to like drag and drop, this program is fantastic. I have not tested the new one, the Pro, but I use the old one for many years now and it's the real deal. It just works really really well. And that's thirty dollars. But again, all these apps, you know a lot of these apps have built a world around the iPhones. You know, I'm not going to call it trickery, but the complications that arrive from using a rise from using you know, the whole situation with the iPhone. You know, Android's very simple. It gives you access to like the file system and all that, but iPhone is just it's always been a little bit trickier. But those are some of the ways that you can get around that. All right, now, we talked about iOS fifteen. Let's talk about watch os. I'm not going to go into the other stuff because I feel like the Mac stuff, you know, it's like gets a little nitty gritty there, and the I can't really remember anything else that I saw there that was like totally you know, like I need to talk about.
Speaker 2: But watch os.
Speaker 1: Actually, let me look at my story I did for KTLA, because that's where I put kind of like the big things that I thought were interesting. That's probably an easy way to do it. So let me see. Okay, let's see. We got iOS fifteen FaceTime spatial audio. Oh, this was interesting. On iOS fifteen, Apple's adding a feature that lets your friends know and you have do not Disturb turned on so that when they try to text you. It will say, hey, your friends got do not disturb? Do you still want to send that text? And this got a big reaction on Twitter. People were like, hey, I don't want Apple telling people when I have d ON d on DN d on, but I believe that you'll be able to obviously turn this feature on or off. It's kind of like CarPlay. In the car they send a text to people that says, hey, Rich is driving right now. He'll get back to you when he's not driving. Let's see what else I talked about, the Apple wallet stuff, the live tech stuff, Oh, Legacy Contact.
Speaker 2: This is a big one.
Speaker 1: So Legacy Contact lets you set a loved one or a friend that will get access to the contents of your iCloud after you die, which I thought was a really nice feature because I know it's a topic we don't want to talk about. But at the same time, it does cause a lot of headaches for people, you know, family members trying to tap into you know, the photos or the videos or the you know whatever people had stored on their phone. And this also got a lot of reaction on Twitter. But again, it's something you can set up. You don't have to set it up, but if you want to, you can. Google has something called Inactive Account Manager, and Facebook also has a legacy contact So it's not a new idea, it's just something that you can do.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Watch OS eight, Let's see, I didn't really see anything huge and Watch OS eight, but they have a new photos watch face. It was it was revealed that the photos watch face is the most popular watch face on the Apple Watch, which I would not have thought of. But now they have a portrait version, so you can now choose your portrait photos to go in there. I don't know, I mean, I don't really, I don't know. I don't really use a photos thing on my watch. I think it's just not for me.
Speaker 2: The Breathe app is gone.
Speaker 1: Now it's gonna be called the Mindfulness app because now it's gonna be doing daily reflections and daily breathing, which you know, I'll be honest. I was at a funeral a couple of days ago, and you know, it was it was sad, and I actually did use the breathe function on my Apple Watch while I was sitting there listening to everyone talking, because you know, it was it was definitely emotional and I just felt like Okay, this probably helped me kind of just you know, rest, you know, relax a little bit, take it, take some deep breaths, and it was kind of like, you know, I just activated the feature on my watch and I just took some nice deep breaths and it did really help. So I don't use the breathe app often enough. I feel like I should and it really does help. So I always ignore the notification and I just shouldn't, you know it, because it really the breathing is such a such a powerful thing for the body.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else.
Speaker 1: It's gonna support respiration tracking while you sleep, so basically kind of how you breathe at night, and it will it will. It just uses the accelerometer in your watch. They're actually not measuring anything on your skin. It's just the It's kind of what Google's doing with their home their Google Home Hub or their Nest Hub whatever they call it, a little tiny one that has sleep tracking built in. It actually looks at the rise and fall of your chest. This is doing the same thing, but just figuring out the rise and fall of your body using an algorithm. So it's like monitoring micro movements, small things. There will be the timer app on the Apple Watch can handle multiple timers. You can also label them. And there's a new contacts app on your wrist on your watch, so that's kind of cool. And you can respond to mesages using gifts. So I think those are the big, kind of main things on the Apple Watch. I just think the Apple Watch continues to get better and better. It just really really is an amazing device. I've said it over and over. I don't think I could live without it, And even if I switched to Android, I'd still probably find myself using it, Like I'd still keep it on and figure out how to still use it. I mean, my big thing is my minutes every day, like I've got to hit those, you know. Oh, also find my is going to be on the Apple Watch, so that's kind of cool. So you'll be able to see where your devices are on your Apple Watch as well. All right, let's get another question. Hello, Rich, my best friend recommended that I contact you about a problem with my iPad. I guess you've helped her a lot. My iPad pro I bought it July twenty seventeen, still works for my needs, email, reading eyebooks, playing solitaire, no music, very few pictures, it loses battery life very rapidly, so I keep it plugged in. My question is is it time for a new iPad? If so, which one is the best for my limited use? Or do I wait? Thank you, Maria, Well, I think in odd July twenty seventeen to twenty twenty one? Is it twenty twenty two or twenty Oh my gosh, I don't even know what year it is. What year is it? I think it's twenty twenty one. Yeah, it's twenty twenty one. Still, Okay, that was weird. I like had this feeling it was. I knew it was twenty twenty one, but I just wanted to make sure because I know we've been locked up for so long. Okay, yes, twenty twenty one, so that is three that's four years, So four years your iPad should still be working just fine. I mean, it's probably slow, and you know, but the funny thing is you didn't say that it's slow. So you know, for your needs, you're doing email, you're reading books, you're playing Solitaire, no music, few pictures, so it's not like you're really asking a lot of this device. And a four year old iPad should still be able to handle those things. Now, the battery life depending on how you charged it and how you used it, Yes, it could be an issue. So what I would do is number one, before you do anything crazy, like you know, buying a new iPad, I would actually go into settings and then if you scroll down, you'll see a battery situation and then you click that, and then you click battery health and it will tell you under that maximum capacity and see what that numbers at. Right now, my phone says one hundred percent. So if it's at like, you know, sixty percent something like that, it it may be you know, that's probably why your battery is not lasting that long, so you might want to you.
Speaker 2: Know, there's a couple of things you could do.
Speaker 1: If your iPad is perfectly fine, I would bring it to a place like you break eye fix or any local place that you have that does repairs and see how much they charge for a you know, a repair. So if you want to do like, let's see, let's see how much that's let's see does it give you like a let's do iPad. Let's do iPad. What did you say it was? You said it was an iPad pro July twenty seventeen. So let's say iPad Pro. I'm guessing that's the maybe the second generation, maybe the first. I'm just gonna say, we'll just go with the second and we'll just see if it gives me Okay, broken screen.
Speaker 2: Don't know, and I don't know if you.
Speaker 1: Can get an estimate, because if you can get an estimate, you know, what I would say is get an estimate from one of these places to see how much it costs to do your repair, and you could just replace the battery. Yeah, it doesn't say how much, so you know, take it in and see how much it is to replace the battery.
Speaker 2: If it is, I would say under one hundred dollars. Maybe I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I'd actually say under eighty bucks because one hundred seems like a lot. That's that's a third of the price of a new iPad. So basically, what I'm saying is, figure out how much it costs to replace the battery, figure out if your battery is a problem, and also uninstall any apps you don't need, you know, maybe make all the software updates, and then figure out the battery situation. Then bring it in see how much it would cost. They'll give you a free estimate if it's like under one hundred dollars, like I'm talking eighty bucks. Maybe if that's worth it to you to just replace the battery, you don't have to really deal and you can you know, two years, you can figure this out. I mean, you can go longer, but it may be too slow at that point, or you can just buy the new iPad for three hundred. I would recommend the one for three hundred and twenty nine dollars. It's just a standard iPad. And I would also go on Google and search iPad deals, and the bloggers generally blog about the best iPad deals out there, and so you can see the iPad ten point two just got a massive price cut, and let's see how much that is. It is two hundred and ninety nine dollars. So I would buy the new iPad for two ninety nine if you feel like the battery situation is gotten to a place where it's just too expensive you don't want to deal with it. And then, by the way, sell your old iPad pro on Gizmo Go Gizmo Gizmo Goo dot com and get rid of it and get some money back for the new iPad. So a great question. All right, I probably spent way too long on that question. All right, Amazon sidewalk, Oh my gosh, the scariest thing to ever hit neighborhoods. Right, if you've been listening to the news, it's like everyone's just pooh poohing on Amazon sidewalk. Here's how to opt out, here's how to opt out. And you know, I'm guilty of this somewhat. I did my Amazon Sidewalk story back in December. It was my understanding that they were going to turn on the network back then. I guess they didn't, but it turned on I believe January or June eighth. And so if you have pretty much any echo device, or when it comes to ring devices, if you have their wired floodlight cameras, and I think there might be another one, but it's mostly I think it's a spotlight cam and the wired floodlight cameras, those are all on this Amazon network. And I think the thing that Amazon did that everyone got really up in arms about is that they they kind of turned it on automatically. They didn't give people the option to say, hey, do you want to turn this on or you do not want to turn it on. So my feeling is number one, Apple did the same exact thing, by the way, a couple of weeks ago when they they, you know, did the whole find my thing. I mean, that's the same thing that's going on. I mean, I know it's using you know, Bluetooth, but it's it's basically the same thing. It's a it's a low power, low energy network that uses a little bit of your phone's power and internet to kind of help out other people. That's what Amazon's doing. They're using a little bit of your internet to connect, you know, help these devices connect to each other and also to you know, the greater uh situation that's going on. So let me give you an example. Okay, let me give you just a real world example. Let's say that you buy a new Amazon product, right and you have an iPhone. The way it typically works, you have to have your phone sense the product and it you know, it goes through this whole thing where you might have to connect to that product's Wi Fi and you have to switch in your Wi Fi settings to figure it out. You got to find the product and you got to switch back to your WiFi. It's like a whole big thing that is a little bit complicated, especially in the iPhone. Now, let's imagine that that product can now just find the Amazon Sidewalk network all by itself, and because it knows how the proximity to your phone, it says, oh, we see you've got a new device to set up.
Speaker 2: Would you like to set it up?
Speaker 1: And it uses the Amazon network to send all of your information to that device and set it up automatically in about two seconds versus all this back and forth and go to your Wi Fi settings and it's done. And not just that, the tiles. Tiles are going to connect to this Amazon network. So now you have a nice competitor to Apple. Why should Apple? I mean I literally was having this debate with my friends last night about you know.
Speaker 2: They were like, oh, I got.
Speaker 1: To turn off sidewalk, and I'm like why, Like why is everyone so ready to turn off sidewalk without even knowing anything about it?
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 1: Amazon turned it on without people's permission, but so did Apple. I mean, find myzon by default in your iPhone and you have to go in and turn it off if you don't want to be a part of that crowdsource network. Amazon's doing the same thing. So the other little nugget I think thought it was interesting. Someone commented on my I don't know if it was my Facebook page or whatever, but they said, and this is a blog post from twenty nineteen when Amazon was testing sidewalk in Los Angeles. They said that they got their Amazon employees and friends and family to conduct a test and with just seven hundred ring lights that supported nine hundred megahertz connections, they were able to cover almost all of the Los Angeles basin with just seven hundred devices. So Amazon knows that a lot of people are going to turn this thing off, But they also know that, like literally, with just their devices that their employees are using that are probably gonna leave them on, or just a fraction of people leave these things on. Their network's going to be just fine. And you know what, I'm good with that because I actually like the fact that we have a competitor to Apple's Find my Network. Let's give Tile a little run for its money, or Apple a little run for its money with these tiles, And I'm totally good with that. What about when Google decides to do this with Android phones and Google Nest devices, which they probably will end up doing. And yes, Google's going to get a hard time as well. But Amazon's just getting a lot, a lot of a lot of I don't know, they're just I don't know what the word is. Flack Is that it? But I thought the best article was actually written by John Chase of Wirecutter, and.
Speaker 2: He was the only one that was.
Speaker 1: I don't know, had the courage to write a headline that said, Amazon sidewalk will share your Internet with strangers. It's not as scary as it sounds. So John, thank you for being a voice of reason in this world of I call him klingons of just all these little blogs that say, oh, a lot of traffic, let's just get all the traffic that people are Let's make Amazon really scary because it's a big, scary company doing mean things, and it just that's the way it is. And everyone just wrote those articles about here's how to turn off sidewalk, here's how to turn off sidewalk, without really explaining what it is and how it works. And yes, there are definitely some questions about the security, but let's be honest, Amazon's a big company. I think that I want to believe they're doing good and I hope they are, and yes, I think you should be skeptical and very critical of all these things, but I think that you should also understand the entire situation and put it into perspective with what's going on in the world at large, and when you do that. Personally, I'm leaving the Sidewalk Network on because I want to help people find their lost dogs and their lost keys and all that good stuff. And I want to give Apple a little bit of competition so that the air tag is not the only thing.
Speaker 2: That is able to find stuff.
Speaker 1: So hopefully you still listen to my podcast even though I just totally gave my support.
Speaker 2: To Amazon's Sidewalk How dare I? All? Right? Hi? Rich?
Speaker 1: We are not too tech savvy and are afraid of adding apps onto our home computer. We only use a home computer, no cell phones. We get Instagram posts, but we seem to be missing out by not getting Instagram stories that people are referencing all the time. Is there a safe and easy way or an app that you know is safe so we can get Instagram stories on our home computer.
Speaker 2: Thank you? Wow, no name given. That's a rarity.
Speaker 1: Yes, super easy Instagram dot com. Just go there and tap Instagram in the upper left hand corner if it's not already tapped, and you should see a whole bunch of circles on the upper left hand side of the page. You click these circles and you will see people's stories and you can see and scan through them and swipe through them. Well, it's mostly clicking, just the way you would on a phone. Now, if you don't have that option, maybe you need to update your web browser. I'm using a recent Chrome version and it works just fine. It might not work on every web browser, so, but that's it. Just go to Instagram dot com. As long as you're logged in, you should be able to see storre worries. Instagram has slowly but surely been increasing the amount of things you can do on their website. Right now, you still, as far as I can tell, cannot post. You cannot post uh posts from Instagram on the website, but you can upload Instagram TV, IGTV.
Speaker 2: Why am I not able to do that? What's going on here? Uh?
Speaker 1: Why am I not being able to see that? Usually I do. I'm curious why mine's not doing this? It used to just have a place where I can upload a new story. Let's see, do I have to go to my Huh did they take that away?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Here it is, okay, Yeah, you have to go to you have to go to your own profile and then click igtv and there's.
Speaker 2: An upload button.
Speaker 1: So if you ever want to upload igtv content from Instagram, you could do that. By the way, can I tell you that, you know, I'm playing Instagram's game with this whole vertical video thing on.
Speaker 2: Instagram, And it's just it's not that you know Instagram.
Speaker 1: When ig TV first came out, it had to be vertical video, and I used to do the thing where I used to say, oh, rotate your phone because I still wanted to make it full screen. But here's the thing. I do things the way I consume stuff. So when I think about what I do for the viewer on my social media I platforms, I'm trying to do things in the way that people use the platform. So with Instagram, I don't sit there and turn my phone to the side ever. And I also hate looking at videos that are small. So if it's a sixteen by nine video that yes, you can upload to Instagram TV, it will work just fine. It's so tiny on my phone screen that I don't want to watch that, and so if I don't want to watch that, I'm assuming that other people don't want to watch it in that format as well. Now, on the flip side, when I upload stuff to igtv in the vertical video format, which I've been doing, I love it because it fills up my entire phone screen and it just feels like I'm immersed in that content. And so that's why I've really been doing that with all my videos. As much as I don't want to shoot videos that way because I just feel like they're unnatural for Instagram, that's how it works, and that's what I do, and so that's kind of why when you look at my Instagram, it's the reason why I.
Speaker 2: Have my videos vertical.
Speaker 1: Because it's IGTV, I can go a little bit longer than the sixty seconds they give you as a square video, but it's also not so annoying as a as a sixteen by nine horizontal video that's so small that on a phone screen you just can't see. Now, on Facebook, it's just the opposite. I don't mind putting things on Facebook that are sixteen by nine because you know, it's I don't know, it's Facebook, And that's I'm much more used to watching video content on there like that, but also you can watch it on your TV screen, also on your computer screen. Most people are consuming Instagram on their phone, and it's also in a vertical mode. So that's why I'm doing that, and I feel like it's the most immersive, even though for me as a quote unquote content creator, I mean, you know, to use that word loosely. For me, it's it's just not ideal. Like I wish I could just do you know, sixteen by nine. I could fit much more into the video and I could put it in more places, but it's kind of they've locked me in with this IGTV. So that's why you see my stuff in that format, all right. Speaking of videos, I did one on this bike. I The headline is I rode the Tesla of electric bikes and it completely changed the way I think about getting around town. This has been the most popular story on the KTLA website for three days now. I don't know why. I mean, it's not like that many people are interested in this bike. But I actually emailed our web team to say, hey, where is all this traffic coming from? Like, because I looked on Reddit, it wasn't on it wasn't posted to Reddit.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: It's not like a I don't know where this is coming from, but I now I have an idea because he said all the traffic is coming from Google itself, and so I think what happened is that this story got tagged as either a Tesla story or the van moved, the bike itself, or electric bikes as a broader top and it's being served up to everyone's Google discover feed or Google news feed and they're customized Google News And when that happens with the story, it's almost magical because it just gets taken away in this like whoosh of like traffic, because it just Google serves your story to so many people if they've ever shown a big interest in either Tesla electric cars, are sorry, electric bikes or even I would think less. So the van Move, which is the specific bike I'm talking about, but anyway, I hope I didn't talk about this on the podcast before, but I've been driving around the van Move, which is the electric bike that it took a while for them to send it to me because I kept saying, no, no, no, this bike is too expensive. I don't want to you know, I don't really feature super duper expensive stuff in my reports because I'm not really expecting people to buy a twenty two hundred dollars electric bike. But when I go to a bike path in Ventura or in Santa Monica and I see half the bikes whizzing past me are electric, or if I'm stopped on the bike path, you know here in La and I'm seeing a lot of electric bikes, I'm like, Okay, I gotta do trend piece and I need some hands on time. So that's when I said, okay, fine, send me the van move I put it together. This bike is just phenomenal. It is literally the electric bike that I would purchase if I'm going to purchase an electric bike, and I may end up buying this bike, I don't know. But it's expensive. But you set this thing up and it looks like it's just sleek, it's slick, it charges up nicely, it connects to your iPhone or your Android. It's got like this little digital display on it. I did a video on it on my Instagram of just the bike. Soon I'll do on me riding it, so you can get an idea. But it's just so cool because you give yourself. I didn't know this about it. I didn't know how electric bikes work. And this is why I like to get hands on time we call it background experience with these devices and these things, because then I can talk about it as someone who's actually used it, right, And so that's why it does take a little bit extra work for me to do my reports in the way I do them. But I do like to have some hands on time with these gadgets and these things because then I can talk about them and answer questions in a smart way versus reading a press release and saying, oh, yeah, these electric bikes are very popular. People are buying them and you know, and I don't really know because I've never really been on one. So I've been riding this bike around, you know, not too much, but enough, and it's it's really fun. It's such a slick looking bike. Everyone looks at it when you stop at a stoplight or whatever, and it's so smooth you can So I didn't know this about electric bikes. You get the power, at least on the ones that there's different models, but the one I'm using is the power is in the pedaling, so when you pedal, it actually gives you like a little boost, like when you one rotation is going to take you a lot further because the engine kind of carries you. It gives you like or the motor whatever you want to call it, not the engine, the electric motor kind of like gives you like this little boost as you press turn the pedals and you can decide what kind of boost you want, and it's on this bike.
Speaker 2: It's from one to four, or you can do no boost at all.
Speaker 1: And that was my big concern with electric bikes was that I was like, if I'm gonna be bike riding, I want to get the exercise. And on this bike and maybe all electric bikes, you can just have the option of no boost and so you can ride with it as a zero. And so I did that. I rode it with my son. We had a great time, went on like a nine mile bike ride. And the cool thing is you can go on a really long bike ride, but then you can use assistance on the way back. So if you're tired, you get a little assistance. Then there's a boost button, so on the handlebar there's a boost so you press that and you get an immediate jolt of boom. You just go and the battery goes anywhere between thirty and ninety miles. This bike goes up to twenty miles an hour. I test drove another one at a place called electric Bike Attack rather in Venice, and they have bikes that are, you know, similar to the Van Move. The van Move is definitely the most high tech I've ever seen. But a lot of electric bikes. Some of them look like moped, some of them look like motorcycles. You know, they're much more electric than this this bike that I tested, which is more like a kind of like an everyday bike, but it's just powered with electric electricity versus some of these other bikes are much more bikey and like motory, right, Is that makes any sense? It just depends what you want. Some people want like a high powered motorbike. I would rather have something like the van Move that is much more like a bike that also happens to be electric. But it's kind of sly, right, And so now once you have an e bike, you're just thinking of all the ways that you can drive that e bike instead of your car. And so around my neighborhood, I'm like, oh, I can go to breakfast. So I drove to breakfast with my friends on a Sunday morning. I said, I'm taking my bike and it's you know, it's only fifteen minutes. And I used Apple Maps and found my little way there on Apple Maps because they have biking maps, and it was just such a cool experience, something that I just have never done before. And now that this idea has gotten in my head, I'm like, Okay, I think I could be that person who takes your bike on different errands for the weekend. You know, if I want to go to seven eleven or something, or you know, go to the I don't know wherever, I could just take my bike and you know, pick up a little backpack whatever, or go out with friends, you know, drive to my friend's houses that are nearby and just park my bike and you know, instead of driving, I just take a bike. And so anyway, it's it's just a really really cool thing that until you actually kind of get on one, you don't really think of this stuff. And again, this is why I like to do this, because I think about it and it changes little things. The little pathways in your brain change so that you your brain is now considering all things, not just one option, which in the past has been a car or walking or you know, a regular bike. But this van Move is just I can't speak highly enough. You got to watch the video on the Instagram. It's just such a cool, cool bike and I just can't get over it. And van Move from Oh can I talk about that? I don't know if I can. Anyway, I can't. I don't know if I forget. Sometimes I forget when people tell me I'm not allowed to talk about something. But anyway, van Move is a really cool bike company. They're based out of somewhere in Europe, and they have some stores in different cities.
Speaker 2: I think they had to pop up in Los Angeles at once.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're coming back to LA at some point, But anyway, I just thought this was really cool and just I'm now a believer. I really like my headline said it all. I rode the tesla of electric bikes and it completely changed the way I think about getting around town. It's one hundred percent right, because when you're on an electric bike, you can go way further than you could on a standard bike.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I get all these people.
Speaker 1: Don't don't come after me for the whole exercise thing, because I'm I believe that same thing, like you should get exercise. But at the same time, there's a lot of people out there who may have mobility issues, who may have joint issues, who may have an injury from sports or just in general with their knees, and so this is this also opens up possibilities for them. So no matter how you look at it, it's just it's just really cool that we have this option. And seeing a bike as slick as van move to me is just like this is the future. Like when bikes are this slick and the price comes down, it's like game over. You know, people will be deciding in urban areas of Okay, I could just get a bike and really get by between a bike and Uber and lyft and scooters and and it's that's a win for for a lot of different situations. All right, let's talk another question. Laura says, Hey, Rich, I have an iPhone ten R with Boost as my current carrier. Is there way to permanently disable the horrible amber alert alarm I have. I'm fine with a visual notification, but that alarm is beyond alarming. Thanks for all you do, Laura of Long Beach, Well, Laura, yes, I think you're doing this. I think you're saying this because we got an amber alert in Los Angeles last week, and you know, in my house with all the various devices around, you know it definitely it was like on my watch, it was on my phone, it was on my wife's phone, it was on my kid's iPad. Maybe not the kids iPad, but you know it definitely it definitely rang a few things. So, yes, you can turn these off in settings under settings notification at the very bottom of the screen it says government alerts and you can turn the alert on or off. But you know, as much as I'm also jarred by them, I leave them on because I just I don't know, Like I just don't want there to be a situation in the world where I need to know something right. So you have three options, at least on my phone, you have Amber alerts, you have emergency alerts, and public safety alerts. So if you want to turn the Amber alerts off, go ahead, turn them off. I mean, I'm I'm not going to recommend it, just because I feel like I like the fact that you know, yes, it's annoying and it's definitely you know, it butts into whatever you're doing. But at the same time, it's like, I don't know if it's just I don't know. I feel better having it on, you know, I'm trying to trying to be a good human. I guess the you know, but you can do whatever you want, and a lot of people turn these off, believe me. With news and internet nowadays, it's like, if there is an amber alert in your area that does apply to you, you're probably gonna see it in another way so or someone around you has a phone where they're gonna get it. So I've been on planes where we get special alerts and the whole plane just erupts in.
Speaker 2: Like you know, the.
Speaker 1: You know sounds. So anyway, that's where you turn them off. Now, with the sounds, I think, I don't I could be wrong. I'm not sure if that I think the sounds might. I think they're silent if your phone is on silent. My phone is on silent like ninety nine point nine percent of the time, and so I don't think I ever hear sounds on my phone ever, because I'm always, you know, I'm always shooting something like recording something, and so I've just grown up in TV and I'm always you have your phone on silent, you know, it's on vibrate. And with the Apple Watch, it's been amazing because I never need to think because my wrist is going to tell me what I need to know. But that's how you do it. And no judgment. If you want to turn these off, I'm I'm you know, turn them off. I mean, that's that's your progative. It's your phone. You could do whatever you want, you know, so that's that's that's your you know, your decision to make.
Speaker 2: But that's how you do it, all right. Uh.
Speaker 1: Instagram revealed a little bit about it kind of pulled the curtain back a little bit, and maybe this is not interesting to you at all, Maybe it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, I tweeted this.
Speaker 1: Not too many people care, so I probably shouldn't even talk about it on the podcast, but I will just really quickly. I thought it was interesting because it's always people are always curious about why isn't my stuff being shown on Instagram? Who sees my stuff on Instagram? And you know, people think it's this mysterious algorithm, which it is. There definitely is some mysteriousness to it, but Instagram kind of revealed a little bit and I thought it was interesting. So here is the bottom line with the signals in the algorithm. Right, So number one in order of importance when you see feeds and stories, right, this is how algorithm ranks them.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 1: Information about the post. How many people have liked it before, So if a lot of people like a post, yes, it's going to be shown to more people. Also, how old the post is, right, so if it's an older post, they're gonna start showing it to less people. That just makes sense. Information about the person who posted it. So if the person is interesting to you, that means like, if you interact.
Speaker 2: With that person a lot, they're gonna show you their stuff more.
Speaker 1: And you can easily just do this with my account if you're tapping on my stories a lot or my you're liking my Facebook post or my Instagram posts rather a lot Instagram says oh cool, we got one, we got one.
Speaker 2: We're gonna show that person more to them.
Speaker 1: It just makes sense, right, I Mean, if you like something, you're gonna see more of it your activity, So how many posts you've liked on that person? That's kind of That's another thing, Like I also, you know This kind of goes about the person, but also the activity in the posts that you like from that person. So you may you may never like a post on that person, so they might not show you as many posts, but if you like those posts a lot, they're gonna show you more. And then of course your history of interacting with someone, and this is a big one is the comment. So if you don't comment on someone's posts a lot, they're gonna show their posts to you less. So that's basically it. So imagine the more like this is the bottom line. They kind of condense it into this. The more time that they think you're gonna spend on a post, comment on it, like it, save it, or tap the profile, the more they're gonna show you that post. That's it bottom line. I mean, it's very easy.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course, there's a lot of signals that go into that. You know a lot of like no crunching and formulas and all that stuff. But that's the bottom line, and it just makes sense. The more you interact with people on Instagram, the more they're going to show you their posts. The more you do on Instagram, the more you're gonna see, the more you like stuff, the more you're gonna see similar stuff. I mean, it just kind of makes sense, right, So now you know, all right, another question, let's see what question? James says, Hey, Rich A few days ago, I went to the Delta website to book round trip tickets to Cancun, and the economy plus was seven thirty eight. I had points to bring it down to three thirty. A day and a half later, the same fare increase to five hundred. I know there are fair checker sites where you enter a date and destination, but I have specific Delta flight numbers. Is there a site that can alert me when that particular flight changes prices? Thank you, James, Yes, James, I use this every day. It's called Google Flights. Super duper easy Google Flights. Just select the exact flights that you want, so these Delta flights, and once you select them, there will be a big button that says track prices.
Speaker 2: Sort of in the middle of the screen.
Speaker 1: It's a toggle switch, and just track the prices and next thing, no, you'll get a bunch of alerts from Google. You'll get an alert when the price is about to go up if their little prediction says, you know what, in the next ten hours this is going up fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: You'll get that alert.
Speaker 1: You'll get an alert when the price goes up, which happens very often, and you also get an alert when the price goes down.
Speaker 2: And these are not perfect, believe me.
Speaker 1: Sometimes by the time you see them, you know, if you're not checking your email every two seconds, or if you're not on an Android that might deliver these things as a notification, you'll you know, you can get to the website, the Delta site, and the price is already changed again.
Speaker 2: But that's what I use.
Speaker 1: I am always tracking at least one fair and believe me, these things they change a lot, and very significantly. I've seen prices go up, I've seen prices go down. I've seen prices go up and down and all around, and it's just there's no rhyme or reason. But I will tell you one thing, and that it seems to happen as soon as you track a price, the price goes up for some reason. And it happens all the time. And that's why I always say, you know, book, if you see a price that you like, book it immediately like that first price that you got might have been the best price for these Cancun. People are traveling a lot right now, and prices are are going pretty wild. In fact, I'm gonna work on a story with some travel tips because you know, I have a couple sites that I use. Actually asked folks on Twitter today about their favorite travel websites and tools, and it's a lot of the stuff that I've known. But you know, there are some things that there are some trends where people you know definitely like the same things and Google flights. I feel like it's like a hidden gem. I feel like not enough people know about it because most people know about Kayak, and maybe they do that, I don't know if they. If they, I don't really use Kayak. Honestly, I haven't used it. I remember when Kayak came out. I was a reporter in Shreveport, Louisiana, and I thought it was just the most amazing thing ever. The fact that you could actually compare flight prices on one page from different airlines was such a new idea. And you're talking this was what two thousand, gosh, this was probably two thousand. Let's see Kayak launched. I mean this was long like two thousand and three, maybe.
Speaker 2: Year.
Speaker 1: Let's see Kayak launch yet two thousand and four. There you go, So two thousand and four, I just you.
Speaker 2: Know, it was it was just wild.
Speaker 1: It was a search engine for flights, and that was just something I had never been done before Expedia and all that stuff. You know it it was a very different thing. It was much more of like, you know, things were programmed in, but Kayak was much more like, we don't really.
Speaker 2: Care where these numbers are coming from.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna find them everywhere and put them all on one page, whereas Expedia worked more like a search travel engine, I think, and still now I feel like Kayak is much more like a search travel engine.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Google Flights is the much I feel like it's the most kind of like independent out of all of them, and it just gives you like the most independent kind of results that are not they're not they're not putting one thing higher than another because you know, United paid them for that placement. Does that make sense? That's kind of anyway. That's where i'd go and that's what i'd use. All right, This is kind of interesting. We talked about this whole idea of limited storage on Google Photos, and so of course there's not to me, there's not really a good alternative because you know, Google Photos just does so much. And I already talked about this in the last podcast, but I have been testing something called Iedrive Photos, and this is a local company in Los Angeles. And I'm always very hesitant when it comes to talking or you know, discussing any photo backup because there have been so many that have come and gone that they never survive, and it seems like, you know, only the big guys survive, you know, like the Microsofts of the world, the dropboxes.
Speaker 2: And you know, so many have come in gone.
Speaker 1: So I'm very hesitant to recommend this, but I will say it does work as promised, and I might use it as a secondary backup because it is unlimited photo and video storage for iOS and Android. For get this nine ninety five a year. That's nine dollars and ninety five cents a year.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I Drive has been around for a long time. They're actually a company. I think it's been around for like over twenty years, and so they are doing this. I guess they have experience in the field. But I downloaded the app.
Speaker 2: I signed up. You can do a seven day.
Speaker 1: Free trial, and so far I've uploaded in my free trial, and I'm talking just the just the photos that are on my phone or my new photos. I guess I have uploaded, tells you which I also like in the settings fifty nine gigabytes, so sixty gigabytes and no problem. It's unlimited photos and videos. By the way, at full resolution. This is called I Drive Photo. And by the way, the first year is just ninety nine cents. Ninety nine cents for the first year, and then ten dollars a year after that. So it's very compelling. And for me, I think what I'm gonna do is, I think I'm just gonna pay for this every year for ten bucks as long as it's around as just a backup backup, Like if I take a picture on my phone, it's going into this backup and if I ever need it, I'm not gonna organize them or anything. I'm not gonna delete stuff, but I'm just gonna leave it in there. So if I ever find a thing where my phone crashes or whatever, or my other cloud storage goes could put, I just go in here and I'm like, oh, that was the picture I took yesterday.
Speaker 2: Hear it. This is so.
Speaker 1: The website is I drive dot com slash photos. I drive dot com slash Photos. You can get a free seven day trial with no credit card needed. Again, I can't vouch for this company because I don't know how long they'll be around doing this, and they could change their mind when people start uploading gobs and gobs of photos and there's not really like a search functionality. I guess there's search, but it's very limited. No, the search is either photos or videos and there's like nothing special about it except it just organizes them in a timeline and you can favorite some as your favorites.
Speaker 2: You can see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's basically it, but it's it does what you need. It just backs up your photos. So if you just want like the cheapest solution that does unlimited and you have to think about much, you know, check it out. Just make sure it's not your only solution. But I am going to do a story with this company because they are local and I'm curious to hear what the founder says, Like how they think they can do this when Google itself can't do it is beyond me. So maybe they're just figuring that because they're smaller than Google. They're not going to get as many people, you know, bogging them down. But I feel like if word gets out about this, you know, people are definitely gonna try it out. So anyway, I drive photos, I signed up for it. Will well, I'll keep you posted on how it works. All right, let's see question here from Denise. Denise says, hey, Rich, we currently have the Apple TV third generation and looking to upgrade since YouTube's no longer available on it. My husband is somewhat tech savvy, and our daughter and son in law more so. But did see that there is an Apple second generation Apple TV four K that launched in April. Have you done any research on it? Is it user friendly? What model do you recommend? We are getting rid of cable and go with streaming, do you have any recommendations? Will definitely be a learning curve for me. I appreciate any help. I've reached out to you in the past, and you are a great help. Thank you and stay well Denise. All right, Well, Denise, I know that not everyone watches every segment that I do on TV, but I definitely did a review of the Apple TV four K recently when it came out and you know, you can watch those, by the way, on the ktla plus app no matter where you live, download it on your Apple TV, on your Fire TV stick or your Roku and just open up. It's called ktla plus. It's free, no sign up and you just you know, download the app and you can watch all my tech segments that are that air on TV.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty handy there. Uh.
Speaker 1: But what I what my conclusion is about the Apple TV four K is it's fantastic. I mean, if you have an iPhone, it's like the best companion ever. It's just a very expensive way to stream and if you don't mind paying the money for it, then it's what I would recommend because it's it's got great apps. It's got every app available, it's got a great version of every app, and yes, YouTube is on there and it's it works. So you know, as far as recommending the model, there's two models. There is a sixty four gigabyte and a thirty two gigabyte. Oh gosh, is that the case Apple TV four K.
Speaker 2: I got to look that up.
Speaker 1: I think it's sixty four, Yeah, thirty two and sixty four, And so you know the main thing is just deciding which one of those you want this the thirty two is one eighty, the sixty four is one ninety nine. I would go for the sixty four gigabyte just because you know, apps are getting huge these days, and thirty two gigs. Not like you're downloading movies to this thing anyway, that's the old days. But it's streaming mostly everything. But it still does need that space for things like especially if you're gonna play some games on it, Apple Arcade, you know, if you're downloading just a bunch of apps, like I just think for the extra twenty bucks, go for the sixty four gigabyte version. You get the new remote control, which is really nice, and you know, yes YouTube does work on there. And as for the streaming, like cutting the cord, I always recommend a website called untangled dot tv. So Untangled dot tv is the website that I recommend you pop in all the shows that you want to watch, all the channels that you like, and it will give you a list of all of the recommendations it has for streaming services. So that's what I would recommend. Check those out. And you know I've I cut the cord a couple of years ago. It's been fantastic. I mean, the big missing link in Los Angeles was really getting KTLA over an app because we're not on the streaming services. And once we're on KTLA Plus, I mean, it was pretty transformative for a lot of people. I suspect a lot of people cut the chord when that happened. And you know, now you can watch your local news, you can watch all of our extra programming on demand, and then you can also just subscribe to the things like Netflix and Disney Plus for all the other stuff that you want to watch. It's worked out perfectly for us. So Untangled dot tv is the way to go. Okay, let me just talk about two quick moments, two quick things before I go Amazon DJ mode. I gotta tell you, I've been testing all the music services and I really have Amazon Music is like, I really like it, and I just, you know, I think it's actually it's simple, it's straightforward, and I'm actually digging it because it is so simple, and I find things to play very quickly because their playlists are not like Spotify has so many playlists. I'm like, what's country chill versus country backyard barbecue versus country road versus country, Uh, you know whatever. It's like, I don't know, like I have to I spend I have to spend so much time looking at the nuances of these playlists that it takes me so long to figure out which one to play. And Apple Music is great, but it's you know, same thing. They have so many playlists. I think they said they have thirty thousand like human curated playlists on there. I mean, that's just unbelievable. Amazon Music they and then they introduced this thing called DJ mode, which I personally love because I've I've mentioned this before. I'm a radio guy. I love radio, and so you know, to me, when a streaming service does not have a DJ, it's it's tricky because you don't know, you have no context for the song that's playing, right. You don't know if the song that's playing just came out by that artist or came out five years ago and they just picked a cut off an album. And so by having a DJ introduced songs which like Sirius XM has and iHeartRadio has. It's kind of fun because you get a little bit of insight. And Apple Music has it with their you know DJ stations, like their they have a country radio station, they have a hit station, they have their original Zane Low station. So I mean, you know, I think and I kind of predicted this, but it's the DJ is making a comeback. The DJ is making a comeback on streaming music services. So now on Amazon you have four DJ stations. It's called one is rap Rotation, one is Country Heat, one is All Hits, and then another one is a Billie Eilish station. So if you want to play these, just say the A word, play Rap Rotation in DJ mode, or play Country Heat in DJ mode, play all Hits in DJ mode, play the Billy Eilish takeover.
Speaker 2: And I listened to this.
Speaker 1: Yesterday in my house two ways. I listened on my iPhone, which was fine, it worked great and alex I almost said it. The A Word even comes on with some music trivia, which is kind of fun in her voice.
Speaker 2: But there's also DJs. They're not live.
Speaker 1: It's it's very clear it's recorded and tracked, but it's still kind of fun and maybe they'll do live later. Who knows Apple is live, which is kind of fun a lot on a lot of their morning shows.
Speaker 2: At least or some of their shows.
Speaker 1: I don't know they're live and taped, but it's definitely much more of like a person sitting there for four hours like doing the show versus this just sounds like they go in with like a paper and read a bunch of stuff. It's a start, but it's fun. It did not work on Sonos though. I think whatever system they're using is not you know, it's not compatible with Sonos just yet, but it'll come. And then the other thing I mentioned earlier in the podcast is that Apple Music has this you know this Dolby Atmost spatial audio. So you can open up your Apple Music app, make sure you're updated to the latest iOS fourteen point six, and look under Dolby Atmost under you know in the music and you can see the spatial audio. They have a whole bunch of playlists, so you can use your air pods to listen. You can use your AirPods Pro, you can use AirPods Max if you have them, beats, and then if you want to try other headphones which may or may not work, you can go into the Apple Music app under settings, choose preferences, and then you can turn Dolby Atmost on always and it will try to you know, push out that spatial audio no matter what headset you're listening on. Oh look at that. You know what that sound means. It is the end of the show. Thanks so much for listening. That's going to do it for this episode. If you'd like to submit a question for me to answer, just go to my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on Tech. Hit the big blue send email button. Also, I would love it if you would rate and review the podcast to help other people discover it. It's been a little bit since someone left a written review, so yes, you're rating it with the stars, which is great. I love it, Thank you, But please write a written review and that way I can read it on the show. And I really do think it helps people discover like just say what you like about it and leave that in the review, and I think that helps people like understand like, Hey, I'm a regular person, I really enjoy this show. People think this show is for techies.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's actually for non techies.
Speaker 1: You can find me on social media at rich on Tech and no matter where you live in the US, you can download the free ktla plus app on the Apple TV, Fire TV, and Roku. Then you can scroll to the Tech section and watch all of my TV segments undemand whenever you want. My name is rich Demirol. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend an hour of your time. I do appreciate you spending it with me. Stay safe, I'll talk to you real soon