Speaker 1: Yo, what up? This is Consequence. You know one on two was in the building, and make sure you check me out on a bootleg keV podcast. Let's go, yo.
Speaker 2: Man, Bootleg keV podcast special guests here the legend Consequence.
Speaker 1: Yo. What the building?
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I think the last time I interviewed you was with x V in like two thousand and ten or eleven in Vegas. I think we did we might have linked. Yeah, we probably did do Phoenix. But the first time then for sure you had like a random show on the strip in front of the New York New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Shout out to Tony from Red Bull. We did the Bull joint. Yeah, yeah, I remember that joint.
Speaker 2: XV Man. Shout out to x V.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out to XV. Wherever you at, man, Holla, man, word, you.
Speaker 2: Could just move it if you want. You just came back from China, uh yay, and Ty obviously did the Vultures experience out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How was that, man? Because I mean I heard the set was like historic in terms of just how long, how many songs are done, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was about I want to say, ninety ninety records. He ran through like a ninety piece raz.
Speaker 2: Does he like know that that's what's about to happen or is it just like just keep going.
Speaker 1: A little bit of bowl because you know, obviously there's some parameters to the set, but then there's the feeling and then there's the crowd and you know what I mean, and then it's just vibes, you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or so that just it was live, Yo, talk to me about like how crazy it is, like just you know, putting you in like a time machine and going back to like the college Dropout tour when you guys had like John Legend and maybe being ben I Ree and dilated. People's was opening up and.
Speaker 1: You guys, Oh I don't have to do that. You was there.
Speaker 2: I was there the pictures Yeah long ago, right, I was there right right? But know how crazy is it just to think like like did you have like obviously at that point in time, even on that tour, he was like the hottest rapper still, like you know what I'm saying, But shit's just crazy that the beginning and then y'all had the Spaceship Dance y'all were doing on stage with GLC right right right right up. Yeah, me and my boys will trying to do that the.
Speaker 1: Kimo Sorrio that was Kimo Sorio used to be the chief better than the source. Yeah, of course, Hung Kanye had a friendship at the time, and she suggested that there'd be some kind of I don't know, the Four Tops or some ship. But so that was the suggestion. This is like kind of make it more than just uh, you know, God's up there wrapping and whatever. So we just you know, brainstorming count and just came up with that, and you know, it was one of those things. It was just like, no, I'm not doing the Spaceship dance, dog, I don't do the Spaceship dance. And then next thing, you know, I and it's worked though, you know, every time it was like a quirky, unexpected favorite thing of the of the of the tour just when we would now, mind you, Spaceship was a lot of people's favorite record for sure, but that part in particular was like, Yo, they're gonna do that ship tonight type of shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So it worked out, not for sure, it's crazy too because like if you go back then, I remember I think I want to say at the merch boots like John Legend had a mixtape before anybody knew.
Speaker 1: Who he was. I had a mixtape.
Speaker 2: You had a mixtape.
Speaker 1: I had. I pinely this. I gotta due take credit for this on the strength of the hustle I because remember I put take them to the cleaners out, yes, at the same time. So my thing was wasn't the first This wasn't the first time that I was on tour, right, you got a bear in mind. I was on drive and you know what I mean. So I was hell bent on getting some paper.
Speaker 2: You're like, yo, I'm gonna get something at that merchant.
Speaker 1: Right right now. The merching table for me was just like it was literally like a corner. It was like selling drugs. It was like, all right, cool, I'm bring all this out, get rid of it. And and I was at one point I was on the tour bus count so much money that John Legend had his mixtape sent out. He was like, wait, I got it, wait right right, right right, I'm missing out right right right. It was free paper. Yeah, it was free paper, you know what I'm saying. And we we all eventually because we was doing that then it ended up getting the Sony deal because we just was on ten with a hustle in addition to being with Kanye. You know what I'm saying. But it's you know, it's one thing to be with him, and like you said, we go from it's not with the beautiful thing about Kanye's story, you know, just from being included, just from the houseide looking it is that it wasn't an ordained number one or hottest rapper.
Speaker 2: It was it was earned. It was crashed and clovested in. I remember he was on tour with like Toy Live in Common right or was it was his quality? It was it was quality and gang star or was it common It was common right?
Speaker 1: Or was it it might have managers homie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like you said, like he really like it wasn't like he was just like or like like he kind of was passed over by Jay like like kind of like well, I felt like it was kind of like an afterthought. He was looked at as a producer, like there.
Speaker 1: Was that Well, the thing is this right and fairness to jay Z. Right, you have a whole roster of what of artists that are in your mold right? Right? You know exactly what to do with you know exactly what to do with bleak you know exactly what means, Yeah, for sure? Right, then you get the gifts of Sparks, right, and because of their personalities and p D and you know what I'm saying. And Chris is sixteen when they do the High ninety seven joint. Right. So then in addition to that, you know, g and hip Hop start building the production, right, so that goes from him outsourcing production to him having now just Blaze bringing Bincon and then Yay comes you know was over with d Do and then winds up being managed by gian Hop. You know what I'm saying. So if you Jay and you're looking at your pyramid, you all said every brick is in place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need nothing nothing, right, let alone something you don't you've never seen before.
Speaker 1: Right, right? And then and then we're trying to re reinvent the will with you being a rapper producer instead of you being a producer rapper, right, because the will is Timberland rasfal Magoo right, right, doctor Dre Raf for Snoop Dog. Right. So the producer is good, but he's not as good as the rail rapper, right. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: At from a moss at good.
Speaker 1: From a from a stereotype and a stigma point of view, you know what I'm saying. So you know, and in fairness, one of the things that kind of changed the course of history is just the fact that I wasn't in tribe no more. And when me and Kanye linked, we both had with each other needed to get into the future, you know what I'm saying, Because I never I never fell off with the business didn't work out, you know what I'm saying. But that's why when the good, the bad, and ugly dropped, I was a whole new motherfucker that motherfuckers because they hadn't heard me for a second. I was on a Rockefeller be and Kanye rapping with me and were killing shit because we don't got nothing to lose, right, So then he don't got especially don't got nothing to lose, went through the wire drop like he was to the point I HUGO wire was like real.
Speaker 2: Like you had to like be real tuned into the internet to get because I remember having the O.
Speaker 1: G version right he was, he was really like right, but the ship was still shut.
Speaker 2: But it was like you had to get that ship off of like message boards or napster whatever.
Speaker 1: But even before we get to that killed. But even before we get to that, you know, he gets embrace by the heavy hitters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had the heavy hitters, Like by the way, I'm a heavy hitter.
Speaker 1: Shot to the heavy Yeah, yeah, yeah, shout out to President Day Big Spanish, my dog legend or the legend for sure and definitely resident piece of fat Man School while we are fact or. But so saying all that to say that, you know, his escalation was literally, you know, getting up getting a placement on Envy's mixed mixtape album. It was a step by step thing. So it wasn't like, you know, you, let's.
Speaker 2: Say the one like jay Z came out and said this the new dude on like like he kind of had to earn that.
Speaker 1: And get the like the official like like like look at you electronical for a second, right, like Jay Electronica exhibitsy is a massive piece, right, so one of the greatest hip hop songs. He doesn't have to really go five mixtapes deep, you know what I'm saying. He got an established just blaze. He's dealing with Erica, Jay and Brace some kaboom right where Yay was like at one point trying to be on raucus.
Speaker 2: Right, that didn't work there back then would be considered a backpack type artist, a boom back type, right, right.
Speaker 1: So that's also kind of like really kind.
Speaker 2: Of fashion fashion wise didn't line up with really anybody. He was just kind of doing the thing on the fashion right.
Speaker 1: Right because but but and that's because his producer money had him shopping where only rich motherfuckers was shopping at. But because he was in the streets, in the street culture was at his boom point, it didn't line up all the way be cause remember he wearing Louis before any like modern time. He really wearing Louis before a lot of niggas.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Louis vait done right by my mom, a person not sit Louis Vait time.
Speaker 1: Mom right right right right, that type shit. So so it's just a lot of things that But then eventually once he clicked it all comes with him, right.
Speaker 2: You know What's Crazy is There was like the early Kanye like mixtape era, and then he would he ended up using some of those verses on like other people shit or like even What's Crazy is Home was a mixtape record that two albums later became Homecoming, Cold, New Beat Cold, you know what I mean. But he had that ship on home and then even like I met Oprah was crazy, like he had so much and the ship. Your guys just mixtape shit. It's just just crazy together. And I just feel like people forget about that era. Yay, like you go on YouTube and just I think people would put him together and calling freshman adjustments.
Speaker 1: Right volume one.
Speaker 2: Yo, I got a random question for you. I always wondered if this is true. Is it true that you guys had uh porn stars on tour as messuss for the Glow in the Dark tour?
Speaker 1: You know, you know ironically, you know you know who started that rumor? Who Kate is the mother?
Speaker 2: Oh? Really?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, so not true?
Speaker 1: Ask her ask her son next time you come here, No king, But yeah, nah, that that she was. She was. That's was the beginning of when we were dealing, began dealing with each other. And you know, she she just peeped some ship and she was doing gossip for who Kids radio show. So that's where I actually came from. And I was like, what the yo, don't do that?
Speaker 2: Don't do that?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 1: After the fact now, but don't do that.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about obviously you got your new I'm coming out on Friday? Is it next Friday?
Speaker 1: Next twenty seventh? Yes, you got.
Speaker 2: You got a record that dropped with Melle. Obviously Mellie has been locked. I think I did the last interview with Mellie before you went into prison or got arrested. He had a great relationship with Yay. Was that a record you guys had worked on obviously before he got incarcerated or was it like some vocals you got your hands on because I saw you shot out his management, Like, how did that come to be?
Speaker 1: We worked on the record the weekend before the same weekend got basically got jammed up. Wow, it was like one two three boom, What the fuck? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just as with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we always you know. I came down there with Ya and they did their collab. Yeah, And there was a little issue in the studio, So I left bound and I went another room. I'm like, Yo, this is because it's Florida, is right. Hammer was everywhere for sure, you know what I'm saying. Right, So I'm like, I'm too old for this shit, right right right, right, right, right right right right. Especially, I ain't like I'm I'm traveling piece on me, so I'm like, yo, ship. So I'm like, yo, you know the ship. This ship about to become too much action for what I'm for my comfort level. Sure, let me just go in the other room for you know, some ship spark. So I do that, you know, Like I said, we was down there, we at Timlin studio. Shout out to Tim and so his producers angel Fetti was working with us, and you know, they has just put put together like a little piano loop, which is the skeleton of Overdose, the record the record over those and I wrote the part and I wrote it. I didn't I didn't even put put it together like this like he's definitely gonna do it. It's just like literally I did it. He walked in, He really walked in from off his tour bus. He had like I don't want to two hundred people with them on. Yeah, And I grabbed him like yo, calling me real quick, I need to do something for me, Like yeah, uncle, I got you whatever, you know what I mean, And he cut it. He left him alone, and literally that's the last time I seen him. That's crazy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Was it was it easy to get clear to release because he's not putting it. I mean, there's not a lot of music from him.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, but he's still but uh, you know, like he still has a cold following. He's still like a tear.
Speaker 2: Whenever he I don't know if he's ever going to get out, but if he ever gets out, he's he's still going to be able to drop music and.
Speaker 1: Be right right right right right. So I mean, you know, it was you know, respectable amount of dialogue had to go into just you know, securing it, you know, because it was just between me and him and whether with the team at the time, so you know, you know, proper protocols speaking with the team, and you know, got his mom blessing for shout to Jamie and you know, shout the track and everybody over at three hundred for for uh you know, going to.
Speaker 2: Fly fly for sure.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: What is the you know, one of the more random back and forth is the you and ty Lib thing? What is the genesis of that? Like what happened? Is it? Because of like I just wonder how did this thing? It feels like tayl Lib has has has you know, a fall from grace. I won't say that. I was gonna say. I feel like I've seen him have back and forth a lot on the online as a fall from grace. I can't say that about telling quality.
Speaker 1: It's quality like I got.
Speaker 2: But I'm just curious, like, what is the genesis of your.
Speaker 1: Guys say that without no tone, that's to me, that's a fall from grace.
Speaker 2: Like if you if you I fucked with the Black Star album that dropped though, who suit was hard?
Speaker 1: If you were one of the people who ushered in the whole rock is movement.
Speaker 2: Right and the whole honestly, that whole whatever you want to call that underground, I just had this conversation.
Speaker 1: Whatever you know, like listen, listen, all spawns from tribe. Though, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: For sure, I would say tribe.
Speaker 1: Look at the end of the day, they all came around when I joined tribe, they all came around.
Speaker 2: Right, you would say, so, so that rock that Rockets movement kind of like the father of the Rockets movement is Tribe.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 2: I would say that. All those people will probably say that.
Speaker 1: When the sound q tips on the first soundbomb he co signed.
Speaker 2: Man sound bomb. Oh yeah, yeah that song with Tash Are you.
Speaker 1: Ready to rock them? Like? Oh my god? It was hard, right, So that's literally like maybe like a maybe ang and a half.
Speaker 2: At first sound bombing, almost fucking the first two crazy right, third one was cool.
Speaker 1: But so at the end of the day, I'm big on history because and that's why I would make the statement I make I'm not gonna go with Scuba dive deep into him. My album's coming out, So I'm not you know, I'm not really in that space.
Speaker 2: But was it an online thing or a real life thing?
Speaker 1: Definitely not no real life thing. It's definitely not no real life thing. Is not a real life thing at all. You know what I'm saying. It's not I asked for that. I couldn't get it, you know what I'm saying, Because it's for me. It's a real life thing. You don't. You don't disrespect my son or my son's mother, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't paying attention enough. I just know surface level you guys have been beefing.
Speaker 1: I didn't anybody. I mean, I mean, listen, the Tribe is Not has been inducted into the Rock Hall of fame and that had to just get put on ice. I spoke with a Cube of about it. He wasn't happy about what was going on, you know what I'm saying. And you know, Tribe got thrown in it back and forth, which you know, in fairness, it wasn't fair to the to the to the group name at all either. And I take I take responsibility for that, you know what I'm saying, because because otherwise for me, that's a fall from grace. You sitting here doing that after y'all just did the last Tribe album and one, two, and three, and I ran the merged company and then went on to you know, give Grammy's with Kanye or whatever again, Like so, you know, I get when people were like, yo, come on, cons this ain't so it's fair for me to say, yeah, that's a fourth and Grace, like yo, bro, you bugging, you bugging, and and and and and also because it was a Domino fare because Kanye stepped out and said what he said about him on Drink Champs.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, that's that's that's the beginning of d.
Speaker 1: And of it at the beginning. I don't I don't prior to that think about it, It's me Jerobi Quality and Kanye on the Killer Season on the last Trive album. What reason do I have to deliberately go out of my way by the way, great album, thank you, thank you. You know what I mean? And so what reason would I have to have one of the featured artists on the group's album because Travis is my group too, Yeah for sure? Why would that doesn't make any sense? I went and got the Kanye feature. I did personally it's my relationship, right, I'm the bridge between those worlds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think, uh.
Speaker 1: And it's sometimes I'm credited for it and sometimes I'm not. And then that's why that's what the water's getting murky, because believe me when I tell you that Kanye feature don't happen without me at all. And he's at number this is Kanye post poblow, right and the Yeezies is at the first one hundred million, So he don't got to do it. It's on my strength.
Speaker 2: Do you think, uh, you guys could ever put it past you? Like maybe Dave Chappelle comes and like I feel like Chappelle's like the Lincoln.
Speaker 1: You're not doing anything without a check fair enough. That's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying no. I'm definitely not saying yes. But there's there's damages that's been done. Like my son saw all that he thirteen. You know what I'm saying, I didn't like.
Speaker 2: Again, I don't know the details what was saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know what saying. I mean. I know there's like situations because he's you know, tied to a few difficulties like up rocks for instance, to be like.
Speaker 2: A pretty reasonable guy, like I'm.
Speaker 1: Cool with him, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I also don't know what was said.
Speaker 1: So I'm coming from and I think the other thing is just like he's been on the defense since drink Champs, you know what I'm saying. So in his whatever whatever you want to call it, it's not I wasn't never gonna get violid. He's not like that at all, you know what I'm saying. But he in in whatever emotion that he's caught up in, He's not using his brain. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I feel like when you're when you are caught up in emotions usually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we men were me. I mean, I'm a man, I don't. I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Besides Mellie, who else is on the project that you got coming out with?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's no apologies. So that's my first single that's charted as a solo artist. So very proud and happy about that record. It's been on for a while too, it's been out yeah yeah yeah, so uh we got to Chase Part three with featuring Caden, which is the flip of my first joint to Chase Part two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that record is crazy. I have Chris Rock on.
Speaker 2: The album Fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, a skit. It's a verse.
Speaker 2: You got Chris Rock Verse? Did you help him write it?
Speaker 1: No? Stream of consciousness consciousness verse. But it's really dope the record. The record is corre relationship advice.
Speaker 2: That sounds hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's dope.
Speaker 2: It sounds like some.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's and Alex Osley Uh from The Honestly Family is singing.
Speaker 2: The chorus, oh hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I have Way and I on my album. And I was one of the runner ups on America Io. She's like my Kelly Price worked on a bunch of records and she know she had a breakout moment on Idol. So Fire Yeah, and I produced eighty percent of.
Speaker 2: It, oh ship, Yeah, so you're behind the beats and the.
Speaker 1: Bars, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Who produced the other twenty percent?
Speaker 1: Kanye did Blood Stain, Fire and Call like I said, Angel and Fetti, uh, and myself did Overdose and fire Man and Keiso.
Speaker 2: I'll be having the same alerts, bro shout to that ring, that ring, move back. Somebody walks by your fucking even on the street outside the ring, girl walking their dog.
Speaker 1: God damn right door right right? So you know, so yeah, we we I'm very happy. I you know, it's been a long a good minute since day job, but I could say like I waited my turn like a real nigga, and I'm excited about about what's to come.
Speaker 2: What you know, what I sh about you is you're, you know, really a very rare breed of loyal in hip hop and the way because I feel like, for better or worse, uh, And I think a lot of Kanye's more controversial takes have aged a lot better than we'd all like to admit. We won't get into specifically which ones are those takes, but you have kind of for better or worse however the public has felt about. Yeah, you always defended him relentlessly.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's defending them pro se. I'm just I'm me, you know what I mean, And I'm unapologetically me. And when I say that, I say that to say that the loyalty thing is not something that I put forth is on cont I do it just because to your naturally, because of who I am, And if I do disagree with something because of my respect for myself number one, and my respect for our relationship and the things that we've uh you know, have built together and shares memories, then yeah, my guy who is multiple uh wears multiple hats in my life, he's you know, he's he's the plug in business. Oftentimes he's been big bro in the streets. Often times he's been my kid brother. You know what I'm saying. We are It's a different relationship between me and Kanye and save me and cutes tip because we're more peers, you know what I'm saying. Although I started I started rapping at a really early age. I started re I re became a rapper with Kanye, so we actually got to come up to it was even though people knew me, I still had a new come up with him.
Speaker 2: No, for sure saying a lot of kids got introduced to you through that.
Speaker 1: So that's why so many people think I'm from Chicago. You know what I'm saying, And I can't be like, no, no queens, I'm from wherever you know me from. You know what I mean, And that's how I play the game. You know what I'm saying, and so, so me upholding the block makes way more sense than me burning it. You know what I'm saying. It's something I helped build, you know what I'm saying through not just through my time. Literally, it ain't like I'm the most notorious ghost writer for no reason. You know what I'm saying, some real shit and so, and it's not a situation where the credit doesn't belong to me. Like the game though, with it is right, you know what I'm saying, And so from that aspect, it's it's it's not done selfish selfishly when I do anything, but it is self I have self awareness of what's going on, you know what I'm saying, and so, yeah, if I felt like I need to step in on something when it comes to him, I'm gonna do that, you know what I'm saying. Because of the multiple hats that we both wear in each other's life.
Speaker 2: I'm curious you are one of the original pillars of good music, which to me is my favorite obviously, like my favorite label probably ever in terms of just my personal taste. Is I mean, it seems as if most of the folks that we know good music helping put like Big Sean or you know, I don't think push your T's rocking with you anymore. Is good music still a thing or is it kind of is that era over?
Speaker 1: It'll never be it's at this point, if we're being realistic, I think the question is is it contemporary at this point? I mean, as long as the pillars are in motion? Yeah, But is it also contingent on legacy at this point? Absolutely? I mean, you know, people have come and gone. That's just that's just what has happened at this point. And that's fine because it was never set up, in my opinion, for anyone to be stagnant with it either. It was always set up. It was set up for me, right, It was set up for me. It was set up for JLC. It was set up for John Legend, That's who was originally around. You know what I'm saying when they started getting some motion, Common came on board, you know what I'm saying, and shout out to really though as well. You know, but that tour you went to, that's good music, you know what I'm saying. And then eventually Sarah came on and Bentley came on, and you know then then then Big Sean came and Cuddy came and we met all of them in our travels, you know what I'm saying. So the unique thing about good music is like I don't think nobody ever got signed except for maybe like Casey hill Orf of a demo Phoenix right right right, right right, But there's nobody got signed off of a demo or good music to my knowledge, like everybody literally was a moment.
Speaker 2: Well well no, you know what Sean rapped for him at the station.
Speaker 1: Right, that's not a demo, correct, It's not like going to Sylvia Rohan's office and playing six songs and helping you you go switch that day. Those days are sucking over right right right right right right right right right, So you know what I'm saying. So this is why it's just and that that's good music is the beginning of those days being over. That's what I'm saying. That's basically what I'm trying to articulate good music at the beginning of those days being over. That's not how I got a record deal, you know what I'm saying. That's not how I'm still in busines go sitting there, playing there holping. Somebody got to hear it from music and ship like nah, we got to that action, you know what I'm saying. And so if you ever see me upset about anything or going as somebody, it's I don't like how something's getting done. Not that I'm over here with a chip or no ship like that. I just don't like how some certain shit had got done, Like cause if you didn't have to go, if you didn't have to go do that, then you was ten steps ahead of everybody because everybody else got to go do that.
Speaker 2: That's that was the game, right for sure.
Speaker 1: That was a game. Cup had a demo, pus what I'm saying. So so once again I'm looking at it like you.
Speaker 2: Weren't getting signed off your Instagram. You're getting what songs are on that tape.
Speaker 1: Right because you ran into somebody who's getting on the road again rich and they looked out, you know, what I'm saying, nobody's perfect, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just from a fans perspective, it's just it's just like an era and like would push it like kind of was like the last Dumber of the I was just like, oh, good music, man, what a fun like that?
Speaker 1: I mean? But see then that's the thing is just like and that called it. You know, I had to say something about that, and that called the problem for the second time with me and Pushing. And I look, anybody who I ever have let be around my son is someone that I have either respect for or I caught a vibe with, you know what I'm saying. And so you know, and stepping back from it, you know, I don't think me or Pushing handled the situation when that was two years ago appropriately, you know what I'm saying. I can say that, you know what I mean. I've had time to reflect, you know what I'm saying. And when I even said that he was phar real man, it didn't mean that I don't like for real. I knew Farrell before everybody Pharrell wrapped on beach ROMs in life. I coached him through his verse in a booth. I've always had a great rapport with Pharrell, you know what I mean. So when I said it, I wasn't saying it. I said it because from that from the perception when Pusher came over, he was coming over from being Star Trek and being in the clips and being in the that those are for real artists, you know what I'm saying. So the thing is, you don't get many opportunities to reinvent or go somewhere else and become bigger, and he ended up with the Tea has become bigger by working with Kanye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always upset. I mean, no, no, I mean definitely helps you know when you're on, when you're on runaway.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, his brother retired from RAT and took a hiatus from RAT.
Speaker 2: I think it helps him push Your Tea is like one of To me, I think it's just one of the greatest rappers of all times.
Speaker 1: And that's fine. But you don't even get the hat that opinion if he doesn't go solo.
Speaker 2: Right right, right. I think he was gonna go solo either way, probably right, But I think going to.
Speaker 1: Going solo and having bread going solo is two different things. Going solo and trying to still figure it out as opposed to somebody who's already legendary run away and then that launches your solo.
Speaker 2: Daytona is fucking up there, man, But that's later. Well, I'm to ask you a question outside of listen, isn't it? I mean, this is not slander. I'm saying this is is not Daytona's way later. This is just around the name.
Speaker 1: Is my name come before that? Right? Correct? All right? I know I ain't bugging.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm curious though, So non Kanye album, take your album out of the discussion. Me and my homie were just arguing about this. I think that the crown for the greatest non Kanye good music album is only.
Speaker 1: Between two albums B.
Speaker 2: B and Daytona. Am I tripping? It's B or it's Daytona?
Speaker 1: Right ah? Hold on now, because I can't exclude John Legend for his album.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: The greatest. You didn't say John, you say rap, you say greatest. I think great, Okay, it's the greatest. The first legend ab was John Legend album is up there for sure, right right. No disrespect to Daytona, but I know from what about your hip hop from a purest standpoint, then if you say my definitely be ain't no question.
Speaker 2: I think it's being like like Be's a perfect album. I just I got for sure, come on here.
Speaker 1: B b Wise that intro bise Common has the uh probably the best beats Kanye ever did on a on a joint.
Speaker 2: I agree, And then I would say that the next tier is probably like a dark Sky Paradise. Uh, I really fucked with with with Cool Summer too.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's Kanye on it though.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I mean, also, let's be.
Speaker 1: Clear, I mean a true story, a true story if.
Speaker 2: The two changes. The first solo album was was was on Good right, it had a good label on the back.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do you one better than that, if you really kicking that ship? You kicking and fantasy because we're getting said then I'm saying being I'm saying good Fridays, Oh the good Fridays? Right?
Speaker 2: Why camp? Can we talk about getting those on DSP No?
Speaker 1: I get hit every year when I was.
Speaker 2: So happy because because wasn't The Joy on Good a good Friday record? So when The Joy came out on Watched the Throne, I was so fucking happy, Say god, what was one of the last one.
Speaker 1: First of all, I got the we the last Good Friday record is chain Heavy.
Speaker 2: And was that that wasn't chain heavy? Was crazy? Back the way? Was what was the one that Cole closed out? Cole had the last verse?
Speaker 1: I forgot the name.
Speaker 2: Just that whole era where everybody had their fucking black what was it called the Rosewood? Yeah, man, Good Friday was a fucking Oh that's it.
Speaker 1: Like, if I got to say on your criteria, is being Good Friday and NF Daytona maybe could be fourth, you know what I'm saying, But Daytona got joints on the throw, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's I mean, that's that's why I always like when people even like uh, I feel like people are super critical of like that, like twenty eighteen year. First of all, the NAS project is solid. I don't I hate how I hate you hate the narrative. I hate the narrative about naz' ZP. Like the cop shot the kid is fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Uh.
Speaker 2: Also, like Kitsy Ghost is a perfect body of work in my opinion.
Speaker 1: That's why I was saying, I don't know, because I was just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Kisy Ghost is so fucking oh yeah. Yeah, well listen, Man on the Moon is is that good music?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean shit never, I mean, god damn Man on the Moon right right, right, think about that. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Right, That's why I was like, ooh, b Man on the Moon, Daytona.
Speaker 2: That's probably the And then obviously, I mean, yeah, shout to John Legend. John Legends first.
Speaker 1: Album album is crazy.
Speaker 2: Uh no, that's crazy. But just like I said, twenty eighteen was crazy because like I fucking I feel like ghost Town. Ghost Town to me is like an all time song, Like not, yes, it is all time. People hated that project. I'm like, how like violence is so crazy?
Speaker 1: Like I think was just like they No, I think I think the plate is what took away from some of the regard for the art at that point. I think the plate was the TMZ ship.
Speaker 2: There was just so much going on, and the plate was, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's the Kardashians, It's three fifties, is on.
Speaker 2: Fires on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so much that It's like, that's right, you do do music, you know what I'm saying. And when the music was at the forefront of everything, songs like ghost Town was like for sure, ghost Town is definitely the same family as Amazing. I agree, you know what I'm saying, But it's just so much So that's when the whole billionaire talk is talking and spoke on and it's just a whole bunch of things kind of you know. I mean, I wrote through the uh, the great lines that's in all minds, you know what I'm saying, And yeah, it did like a hundred million streams, But it's just so much shit going on that you know, there's no way he that had an all mind in oh seven A and when the shot a video for it, you know what I'm saying. But there's just so much ship. There's a lot dropping. Every much ship it was, so it's just not even just dropping.
Speaker 2: It's just there's so much going on in life.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. You know who got the best beats? You know who got the best beats?
Speaker 2: Beats?
Speaker 1: The best yay beats? After b wipe everybody, I just said, guess who got the best yay beats? Tianna Taylor? Facts Okay, facts of life the Tianna Taylor.
Speaker 2: I shought it was fire.
Speaker 1: It just wasn't. It got in my opinion, the mixers was rushed, but the actual beats crazy. It's that gonna love you ship is fucking crazy, yo, Yo, So I agree, So let me let me rephrase that, just so I don't get killed on the internet. Honorable mentioned Tianna Taylor for sure, Like you couldn't navigate and negotiate those that we named already, but you cannot lead that ship out. That ship is fucking crazy, yo.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts? I mean, this diddy ships getting crazy. There's been the old Kanye text going viral calling him a fed, right, you think you think he was on some fed ship like filming everybody and ship like obviously you probably know more about the inner workings of some of this weirdo ship in New York than anybody.
Speaker 1: I was. I do know some things, you know, you know what I'm gonna let's take them moment with this, say this. What I think is crazy is the potential of Kid Cutty having to testify.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because who's I mean, that's the car that got set on.
Speaker 1: Fire, right, and he's already concurred with the incident.
Speaker 2: And I mean, also, let me ask you a.
Speaker 3: Question, Yeah, in your opinion, because I and I'm asking you because you're in hip hop, you're in the hood, but you obviously.
Speaker 1: Can have the opinion of someone non African American. Right, would you consider if Kid Cutty testified against Diddy snitching?
Speaker 2: So I'd like to revert back to my good friend Glasses Malone's definition of snitching.
Speaker 1: Okay, kid cutting is a civilian right. That's why that's why I want to hit it from you and so and and mind you, let me say this to you. Ki Cutty is never really ever I mean, obviously I'm not saying angry, but he's never portrayed himself as a street street.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that he isn't because I don't know, you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, but at least in the public right, Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: He also was not a conspirator in crime with Diddy, so he would not be then telling on someone to get out of doing jail time himself.
Speaker 1: He would be telling on someone based on being a victim. Correct. Right.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing as somebody trying to say, well, somebody ran up into bun Bee's house, right, and then are trying like nah, like I don't see that.
Speaker 1: To be whether fair belligerents would be God based on No, I don't think so you don't, you don't think at all, not even.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I think Bune he teaches classes and is an entrepreneur and is og at this point. So I think I think it.
Speaker 1: Is that nobody, nobody is entitled to hold of UGK.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that. I'm not saying Look at Pimps was alive right now. If he would he have approved of that. Who knows what Pimps's personal evolution on street politics would have been. I do not think if kid Cutty testifies against Diddy it's a big deal. I do think. I do think Kid Cutty is an entertainer and someone who's never portrayed himself to be that. Now, obviously UGK has portrayed himselves to be that back in the day, so maybe that's a different discussion, But I think, yeah, dude, I mean, this guy tried to fucking set his.
Speaker 1: Cars on fire.
Speaker 2: If that allegedly, if that happened, and they give him a call, what's he gonna say.
Speaker 1: No. This went to ask the question, I want to what do you think? I wanted to get your perspective. Do you think if Cutty testifies you, I don't have a notion. I have the I don't have an I don't have a I have the notion. I just don't have the viewpoint as far as yay or nay. You know what I'm saying, because I because I factor both the streets in in the belligerents versus the literality of the situation at hand, right and the and the personality and characteristics of the people involved. You know what I'm saying, did He being a guy from the eighties and the nineties versus Cuddy is a new wave guy and not a street guy, and and something aggressive happened? So how do you weigh that out?
Speaker 2: I say, you know, hey, if he, if they if they subpoena him, he's I mean, it is what it is, right, I shouldn't trying to set this motherfucker's caring fire right right right right. I would say this like I just think I think the whole Diddy situation is just interesting because it's interesting because I see people, Now, if you were if you've been in hip hop and been semi important, there's a chance you have a picture with did He. There's a chance you've been to many of his parties he had Grammy after part or is he had BT. This is going to tell you someone, this isn't a crazy thing. It's not like everybody who ever met Diddy was hanging out with baby oil. Like then all the industry is canceled. I got a picture with Diddy.
Speaker 1: A lot of the industries about they get canceled.
Speaker 2: Oh, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: On listen no, no spoiler alert.
Speaker 2: No, I shout out to Paul Hayman, the greatest manager of all time. I do agree that. Man, once the we start getting names on who's in some of these videos, that's when things are going to get very interesting because, like you said, like there are you know, I just think about like certain rappers who've gone viral for some of their interactions on video with Diddy, and I'm like, oh man, maybe there was some sort of freaking off gal. I don't know. But nonetheless, I say all that to say that, like, Yo, we've all had pictures with Diddy, like did he did? He was one of our idols growing up as an entrepreneur. So it's like yeah, Like, but that don't mean now I'm saying everybody, but that don't mean that you were fucking like even if you went to the party, like my one of my Jesus was like, I'll go to Dinny party, I'd be out of that bitch by one in the morning. Because that three ship started to get weird.
Speaker 1: There's announcements made there.
Speaker 2: Is I've never been. I've never been.
Speaker 1: Look, I definitely ven uh like yo, and now it's like, hey guys, yo, it's five. It's a.
Speaker 2: Whatever goes down after this.
Speaker 1: Fucking around, lay around, right, or maybe you might want to have the brothers Mama. Me myself, I went to breakfast. Yeah, I grabbed a couple of joints. Slid about it there. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, So, but that was in a public joint, not at somebody I've never been to nobody, Right.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be interesting. I think that I think that it's going to be interesting to see what happens. I think, you know, there's also a good chance he gets at all this. You know, we'll see. I don't know. But it's a rico, so you would think it's a federal rico. Usually they only push forward with a rico if it's like it feels like they can I.
Speaker 1: Must just say this, nobody saw what happened with Max B.
Speaker 2: Right, well, Max B, who's been in prison for what fuck twenty years? Almost?
Speaker 1: Did you see something happening to somebody?
Speaker 2: No, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Did you see anything happen to anybody that got Max B put away? As long as he been put away? This is this is a common sense question.
Speaker 2: I don't believe. So no, right, no, no, everyone around Diddy snitching.
Speaker 1: Let's be clear.
Speaker 2: Do you have to? I'm saying his because think about all his staff that are just trying to make it in the music industry that were completely complaint.
Speaker 1: That's carot dangling. That's one thing.
Speaker 2: Is that the girl or no, no, what's the name of the girl. It's the sistant they're trying to call the new like the Jessling Maxwell, his like official assistant in the White Chick. I think everyone's snitching, though, How.
Speaker 1: Did you get the charge of the kidnap? And let me ask you a question. Let me ask you that question. How do you even get charge of kidnapping?
Speaker 2: I think that would have been the video we saw right with Cassie. All right, yeah, right, so that's on video, Yeah, tada, It's gonna be interesting is gonna be fucking interesting.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be David Blaine. Let's see where his rabbit's coming from.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent what you know? Obviously, Like I said, that last Tribe album, which would have been the first post Fife death album, incredible body of work. Uh, would there have you and Tip talked about doing another album or well?
Speaker 1: I mean he's been working on the LL project for a few years now.
Speaker 2: LL project's hard too. I know he's been executive producing that. But I just wonder if, like, is that like the last Tribe album we'll ever get? And is there any five vocals that we haven't heard yet that exist?
Speaker 1: I have Okay, you know what I mean, But I don't know. I know the group has been inducted into the Rock holl and that that induction ceremonies in November. So we'll see, you know what I mean? Yeah, we'll see. I mean I don't. I haven't. We haven't had that conversation. But you know, I mean, I take another c Tip solo album too. It's been fuck what was that oh eight oh nine? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That album was crazy too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The renaissance is dope, Yo.
Speaker 2: What happens to first of all I remember specifically, they're being talked that Kendrick and Kanye have like an album's worth of unreleased songs.
Speaker 1: Together, right that mad Live.
Speaker 2: Have you heard these songs? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was over mad levies.
Speaker 2: How so there's there's like an album's worth of Kendrick Kanye songs over mad Lib production. What happens to this music? And what does it sound like?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How great is that? That sounds fucking like a Grammy?
Speaker 1: I mean, I just think it just needed to be structured, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, but the idea and the ideas that were Yeah, I heard the whole thing. Yeah, it was there.
Speaker 2: It's there, It's crazy, it's there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean just like you know, he worked with Dre. I went to Drake Crib and we we cooked up, you know, shout out to doctor Dre. We had an amazing, amazing time just being with doctor Dre is you know, you know, for me, it was just like, Yo, this the motherfucker made deep cover when he was in high school and I don't fan out like, but that shit happened, like yo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And even when Dre, you know, I was writing with him and he asked me to vocal something I was just when I was sick though, so I ain't really maximized it because I was like just diagnosed with lupis. But I flew out just on the strength. And I shouldn't have been even in California at the time that the pandemic was at the height, and shit, everybody was catching COVID like the Cooties for sure and ship and you know, but I still came because it was like like one of those once in a lifetime bucket list things and whatever. But but yeah, you know, so there's a lot of music that's.
Speaker 2: There's just so much music I feel like that's in the error that we will probably never hear. But they were supposed to be cool winner, right. I heard one record off of there that was kind of like a Mercy part two. It was called uh Wins Turgo Gravis. It was called trash Bags Lifted produced. It might have been talking about making it rain so much to have they bring trash bags out. It was like the same lineup as Mercy, right right right, But that.
Speaker 1: Was a yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I always just wondered because like you hear like like and you also you'll see yea get in with people and you be like, well, whatever happened to that?
Speaker 1: Like right? Right? You know, it's the course of It's the course of creativity.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, like for you man, like being a dad and managing your son. And he's been rapping since he was howled now? And how old is he now?
Speaker 1: He's been rapping for ten years? He just turned thirteen?
Speaker 2: Crazy? Yeah, what has that been like for you? Like? And what are kind of like the the difficulties of trying to break an artist as your son, you know, also an artist as a child, right literally.
Speaker 1: I mean it's more more of that than the sun part. The some part is an advantage because he's my son, you know what I'm saying. So whatever is invested is the automatic ROI just for spending time with my son if nothing else, right, But you know, I mean obviously there's there was the phase of he's cute and we respect what you're doing, but do we really look at him like his own artist? Then it gets to a spot where it becomes where his peer group looks at him as an artist, which was always the intent, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because you really want other kids to consume the music.
Speaker 1: Right, right? I mean but it started because he's my son. The first available platform is next to me, right, and so you know the first time he kind of has spun out on a viral tip was when he wrapped up a cop shot the kids ironically, you know, ironically, Puff posted it, you know what I mean, Revolt aired it, you know what I mean, and Pusher tweeted, tweeted it out, Kanye tweeted it out, and eventually, uh Kim Kardashian plugged him with Nikki and then he had got the dream about Nikki video put on nicki page and that had three million views on ig crazy. You know what I'm saying, which which now we're not this is what comes beyond him being my son and it becomes he he's Kaden the crown holder, you know what I'm saying. And then so which is great, but you know, we play a game where you're only as good as your last game, you know what I'm saying, And so maybe sometimes the difficult thing is that is has been and we get we're in a sweet spot now, but you know, did the grown pains of hot and cold and going back to the lab, and you know, while I did this, isn't that enough. It is because you're enough. But in this game that we play is never enough, you know what I mean. And that's the game that we play.
Speaker 2: Especially because I feel like for his demographic, like he almost has to shoot shots in the algorithm all the time.
Speaker 1: Right, And so that's why I said, we're in a sweet spot where that's coming together, you know what I'm saying. And we're going to continue to build and you know, like we got a collab album coming right after my new album called on the One on two, and then next year he'll be putting out his official debut album, you know what I mean. So you know, the plan is in place and things are coming together, and so it's been well worth the journey. It's the greatest joy of my life. He's my son. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's dope man. So uh, he's on your album too, like you said, right, what's the name of the new album? Yours?
Speaker 1: N he's doing business with you, that's doing business with you. Next Friday, Next Friday, the twenty seventh, the twenty seventh of September, and you know that's that's when we go into the Zech Cassro place.
Speaker 2: I love it. What's it like, man, how's this Vultures era of just kind of the journey Ben, because it seems like I was in the Four Seasons in Vegas that night that he was, I was supposed to do his event. Well he kind of did an event. It was kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't been around for the whole Vultures, know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You just left China.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved China, you know, because I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Do I know, he shed some of the fat on his team. It feels like, you know.
Speaker 1: Some Yeah, like I said, I wasn't around because I literally took the last two years to do my album, right, you know what I mean? After Donda, I needed a break, you know what I'm saying. And because the way I'm at life, you know, I had to put out something. I had to put out my joint, you know. I mean, like I had the resources I didn't have. I wasn't sitting here waiting for an advance. You know, my brains straight. I got I set my own label up, I got destroyed. I did the whole ship and so you know, part of even going to China was just like just you know, our friendship got to come for anything. You know what I'm saying, our brotherhood, that that got to supersede because that's how the business was built. You know what I'm saying. We wouldn't have we We wouldn't be who we are if we if we didn't do this. You know what I'm saying, that this ship is one point, with your dogs and anything else. If y'all ain't doing this, leave it alone, you know what I'm saying. So you know we've seen each other, was like and then we just chopped in, just caught up and shouldn't you know. Even yesterday we was just talking laughing and I was having to tell him about the ramifications of pub being in the md M d C, which is the tombs in New York. I'm like, the Wolves is the Wolves is on either on payroll or looking like Wylie Coyote, you know what I'm saying. And so that's our one two, you know what I'm saying. So, but I did get the bill with Tie as well while I was out there. You know, we definitely want to connect and ship, so you know, we got the future in front of us. It feels good.
Speaker 2: Can you give me a story on what at what point in time. Did you hear the spaceship beat? Who's whose verses were laid? First? Spaceship with GLC record. That was a GLC record first, it was a.
Speaker 1: GOOC record first, and he asked me to get on it, and then Kanye did his verse.
Speaker 2: Got it, So technically he laid his ship last.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, technically he laid it at once. I rapped on it. Then he went and was like, oh, this is a joint because he was only doing the chorus and it wasn't no, you know, Tony Williams actually his last because that's the top layer of everything in him adding that and you know what I'm saying, but just the win. It was just the Marvin Gaye loop. It was JLC and he was singing the joint because they both worked in the mall and that was like their connection musically for Kanye to tap in. Like that's how I ended up just doing it and then it just coincidentally I had a job history from being out the tribe. So that's how I think.
Speaker 2: That that song is one of the most relatable songs ever because no one had ever rapped about working at the fucking mall.
Speaker 1: Or falling off and rapped that brother vers I remember having to take the dollar cab, coming home real late at night, standing on my feet all damn day, trying to make this thing right, and having one of my coworkers say, Yo, you look just like this kid I was seeing in the old Bust and Rohns video the night will Easy, Come Easy go have that saying goes no more broad service cars in the TV shows, it all had got snatched from me, A and alls and a faculties all turned their back on me and didn't want to hear rap from me, So naturally actually had to face things. Factually had to be a catastrophe, had the fire standing back at me, because nothing's dead, nothing's fit, and I don't want to ever go back there, so I won't be taking no days off you know the rest. What about Gone Can I've been pouring out looking for the.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite. That's one of my favorite, but that's one of my favorite verses, like how did that? Like, like, like what point of the creation of Gone did you get? It happens such a crazy record.
Speaker 1: So we're working on late registration. I think I told the story before, but so Kanye's original we would ask to rap on j Lo's album. Kanye's verse on Gone was on to get right record for Wow. He wanted me to rap on it. Sony was like, we don't know if we want consequence on it. If he not on it, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: Do it. So we had that verse and it's crazy because so then he puts.
Speaker 1: That on going Yo, I didn't do the j Lo ship because of this. I need fire we in La. I said, yeah, I gotta go. I gotta leave. Then I gotta go to Queens. I go to Queens. Take the beat with me, go to Queens. Sleep on the couch uh at my people's crib. I dreamt the verse. I woke up and caught and said, booke me time, I got it. Now it came in the whole. I've been pouring out some looking for the fact that my palt I dreamt that shit, and so it only took me like two takes. I had it in my head. I dreamt it. I literally woke up. It was like, oh, in a sweat, like because I probably it's probably at one point going with like the number twenty five best all time records at the year it came out.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite records. Yeah, even the way he came in on.
Speaker 1: It, like yeah, and I mean so after I did that verse, he did the last verse Okay, yeah, the second version, the blackout, Yeah, yeah, because that comes from the fact that no, I can't. I can't just I can't let this man right, because because if it's only just the first one, maybe, yeah, it's up for debate. If I caught him, you know what I'm saying, Like, I would go back here now and remember Cam's you know what I'm saying. So so you know that's the that's going.
Speaker 2: That ship was legendary. Man. Look, your new album is dropping the twenty.
Speaker 1: Seventh, September twenty seventh. Go run it up. Please go run it up. A man is overdue for his not men.
Speaker 2: And then I Recollett and.
Speaker 1: I my own label. It's one O two records distributed through had Maker. Shout out to Tony B and listen. I have given it is my goal all I And trust me, if you if you're a fan of anything I've given to anybody else, when you hear this project, you gonna know what's up with me. For real. It's my goal, humbly, it's my goal.
Speaker 2: How long have you actually been working out of years.
Speaker 1: Like I said, two years after Donda. I just like you.
Speaker 2: I got to do a body of work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm ready. I'm super ready.
Speaker 2: That's what's up, man. Well, we can't wait to hear it. I appreciate you pulling up brother.
Speaker 1: Yes. Sorry wo