Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you want your way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim, and give us time and a termino and gage.
Speaker 3: We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 2: You wanna welcome you back home?
Speaker 3: Tell us all about it?
Speaker 2: We scared?
Speaker 1: Or was it fine?
Speaker 4: Malcorn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do your need you ride?
Speaker 3: To ride? Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Tilgarris.
Speaker 3: Hello, Karen, Hello Chris. Did you have any adventures today?
Speaker 2: No? No adventures?
Speaker 3: Well I did.
Speaker 4: I finally got health insurance, not fancy like SAG health insurance what I which I got used to and I liked it. But I just got an HMO just to have you know, and I met my I had an appointment today to talk to my doctor because there's a whole list of things that I feel like I should be checking on. It was conveniently right across the street in what I thought was an abandoned building for years.
Speaker 3: But there's a doctor in there.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's kind of in the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, one receptionist person and then the doctor who right when I walked in. She was yelling at someone and was looked very mean and the dieta she she was.
Speaker 3: I didn't get her.
Speaker 2: The receptionist. Uh.
Speaker 4: The receptionist felt like it was a hostage situation. She's sweet and I'm still worried about her. There was a woman in there just bleeding that was uh. I think just got in like but implants and they were they flipped around. I'm not a doctor, but this is going to get clinical, but why not? I think she was in pain and I was concerned and I asked her if she maybe thought it was infected because no one was helping her. And then I was going before I'm like, no, let her go first. That looks serious. They're like, no, that's your appointments now. And they wanted cash. I'm or check to forms of payment from the nineties and I don't carry cash.
Speaker 3: Maybe I should, I probably should. I got to stop you. You you must please do this is boring so far?
Speaker 2: No, okay, it's because I have a legit question and then what based on your answer, I may have a small.
Speaker 3: Anecdote, okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Was the woman with the butt implants, maybe that you were thinking maybe that was the problem. Had her butt implants flipped around, because that is a thing that happens to people that get butt like cheap butt implants. The implant itself flips and then there's like a flat It basically looks like a big square in their pants.
Speaker 4: Oh square pants. She was not square pants. She I think did everything at once, and that the blood that I saw was on.
Speaker 3: The sides of her new boobs.
Speaker 4: And that from what I could tell from And I'm not you know, I'm not a creepy guy, but it looks like they did an okay job. I was just worried that she was groaning in pain. And I'm not even trying to make light of it. I was very worried that she'd gone septic.
Speaker 2: Now, is there a chance that you went to a ghost kaiser?
Speaker 3: I went.
Speaker 4: Then I was like, well, I just have an irash and some other things.
Speaker 3: And the doctor came in.
Speaker 4: She's like, only one ailment per appointment. I could not mention a second thing. She didn't want to even hear it. I started with Irash. I was going to get to I should have a camera in my BH, and she didn't. She's like Irash I said, and I left.
Speaker 2: I should say, you know, you could say, is hey, you know what you don't. I don't have to talk about it now. You can listen to my podcast and I'll just listen out on there.
Speaker 3: Because I did in depth. I did it. I our guest today was pre med.
Speaker 4: I'd be nice for her to brush up on her earlier studies.
Speaker 2: Oh you're trying to open the door to maybe get diagnosed.
Speaker 3: I'm assume opening.
Speaker 4: I'm doing one of my classic sagging into the intro of today's guest, who I'm very excited about out She's done clubs and colleges throughout the country. I'm kidding that she's a very impressive person and I'm very excited for us to talk to her. To everyone put your hands together for Brothi Gupta.
Speaker 1: Kay, Hi, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: The lead up was good, but I think I sorry for the clunky introduction. Usually Karen takes the reins on those, but I thought I'd give it a stab.
Speaker 1: No, it was great. I really liked it.
Speaker 4: What should I have done with this? This poor woman in the waiting room.
Speaker 2: As a pre med expert.
Speaker 3: Yes, as a.
Speaker 1: Pre med expert. First of all, I think you did the right thing, which was immediately offering medical advice, which was immediately taking the role of a medical professional. Because that's the thing about I think being a doctor is the doctor in the room, is the person willing to stand up.
Speaker 4: Right and he's situation, even when it's unsolicited, right, that's.
Speaker 1: When it's especially when it's unsolicit.
Speaker 4: I've been meeting a lot of these types of doctors lately.
Speaker 1: Oh. I Also, here's my solution for your for the like one ailment per appointment you should have, you should have a doctor on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Do we know any comedy doctors? Ken Jong?
Speaker 4: I guess Mattisman, host of American Ninja Warrior. He was a doctor and then quit to do comedy, And I thought, what are your nuts?
Speaker 2: Remember Pete, my ex used to be the cameraman for the home renovation show that he was a host of. He's a very nice person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's very nice.
Speaker 4: He has rheumatoid arthritis and we did arthritis shows together.
Speaker 2: That's another ailment on Chris's list of ailments. Yeah, he's going to fit him in the whole show.
Speaker 4: I want you both to know. Though she was like, I need to go to a hospital. I'm like, uh, And I almost offered. I acted like I was going to, and then I realized I didn't want it was the implant, the butt. I didn't want her sitting on my car, and my car wasn't right there. She would have had to walk three blocks to my house on her hurt butt. But it's okay because she got angry and stormed out and then out of our lives.
Speaker 1: Also, when you were okay, when you were describing the implant slipping around or like turning around in some capacity, I did immediately imagine that it like I imagine the most unnatural version of that, which was the implant going around to.
Speaker 2: The thigh so that it kind of looks like you have two lumps in your lap when you're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a sort of a front butt were looking at.
Speaker 2: So disturbing.
Speaker 1: That's that's really upsetting. No, I don't recommend that thinking about it.
Speaker 4: No, my friends when I lived in Austin, these screen printers, they were in a band called Front.
Speaker 3: But I just have to let you know, Wow, that's a thing I guess it is.
Speaker 4: These things have been flipping for decades now.
Speaker 2: I mean there's pictures you can go look up on the internet. Obviously that's how I did it. I didn't see that in person. You can anybody can see it, because like all those plastic surgery gone wrong TV shows. Yeah, I mean, if one of those comes on, like in a hotel or something, I have to watch the entire thing. And I normally like to pretend I'm above something like that, or like I'd rather read a Jane Austen novel. But the truth is, if you show a person that tried to better themselves in this one way, there, they've decided they need improvement, which is often not what I see. Like it's that kind of thing where you're like, I don't why are you so obsessed with this? It doesn't make sense. And then to have that vantage he likes like slap them in the face. And then they have cubes on their ass. Yeah yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 1: And now they have front button and now they will float her, but they can go anywhere in their fronts anywhere. I guess I sort of think of the body as as like a skin bag. I guess that's yeah, I guess that's a lot of the problem here.
Speaker 2: That was the problem in medical school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, oh, I can't do this. I was like, just push it down, push it down.
Speaker 2: Just flip it over the side.
Speaker 4: I do recall in her final pleads with the doctor.
Speaker 3: Uh, this person was like, what is happening? What is happening? Doctor?
Speaker 4: And I kind of feel like she's saying, hey, what's happening doctor, Like she knows her already, But I think she was asking what was happening. She asked like three times, and the doctor would not look at her, and then she walked out. And that's when I I'm like, oh, this is like a scary doctor, a doctor death doctor.
Speaker 2: To me, that suggests that that doctor is the one who did the procedure that then went wrong.
Speaker 4: That it's and then who my insurance sent me to. I didn't choose her. It was like, that's the best of my group.
Speaker 3: I gotta get new insurance. But you can go back to you know, the student.
Speaker 4: The student, the patient knew the doctor from previous Yeah, are you sure. I'm not sure that you went to I am not at all. There was holes in the wall that only could have been punched. There was a door to the hallway to go to the examination rooms that had been bent the wrong way out of anger. And then I read this doctor's reviews and a lot of them are scathing. If there's a doctor death situation. It was very it's all kind of hitting me now. It was a scary day. Yeah, I'm glad it is scary. I'm glad I turned round and left him. I'm just worried about that, poor lady. But Broth, you were you. I it was funny that we were told that you you switched from pre med to writing and so many lives were saved, which.
Speaker 3: I laughed hard.
Speaker 1: No, truly, it's like a blessing for everyone.
Speaker 3: And that was all. It is a Wellesley Wellesley College.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know anything about that school, but because it's named that, I feel like it's a very good school.
Speaker 1: It is a very good school, and and you know it's a it's a place everyone is really serious and academic. And I used to be very serious in academic. And then when I got to the Wellesley campus, so my I was like wanting to do you know, pre med, and I wanted to do public health, and I was like the dream is to work at like the World Health Organization. And so I got to campus and I looked around for like one minute, and I was like, no, they're going to do that. I'm fine, that's yeah, they'll take care of it. I get you do not say no more. I get exactly who I am here.
Speaker 2: You just needed that, you need perspective. I needed the problem where you basically kind of showed up thinking you would do pre MED and then immediately decided you're going to go in a different direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I did pre Med for about a year and a half, and then I told my parents that, you know, I I think I want to be a writer, specifically, I want to be a comedy writer. And my parents were like, you're not the right generation, like where the immigrants you do something like be a doctor and then your children can be.
Speaker 3: Clowns and generation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My parents like, that's not this isn't supposed to be our problem. This is supposed to be your problem.
Speaker 2: You're going out of order.
Speaker 3: That's so specific and great. I love that.
Speaker 2: Where were your parents from.
Speaker 1: They're both from India and I grew up in Kentucky. I grew up right outside Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: And why did they choose to move there? Is it for work or was there anything specific that they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my dad is a physician, and so he was like after he did his residency in Boston, he was wanting to like practice in sort of a low income area, and so then we moved to the middle of Kentucky. And then my parents really quickly were like they realized. They were like, oh, America is really racist. We forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we somehow.
Speaker 1: Forgot about that coming from Boston.
Speaker 2: That highway must have been very long, but it was bustin in Kentucky to forget about racism.
Speaker 1: It was real long.
Speaker 2: It was real.
Speaker 1: It was that they were both hit very hard in the head by a racist.
Speaker 2: But did they stay did they make it work? Uh?
Speaker 1: We stayed in like truly like Farmland, Kentucky for a few years and then moved up to like the greater Cincinnati area.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's where they still are.
Speaker 2: The idea that they wouldn't think they'd get a comedy writer out of a situation like that, like that's basically was one of your only options.
Speaker 1: It was my only option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was absurd and report please. Yeah, although I bet there's a lot of pressure to be a doctor when you that's common if there's doctors in your family, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they and like I remember they were so upset that I wanted to be a writer. And one time my mom said she like I called her and she her version of hello was just like a deep sigh, and then she said, you were the grandchild that your grandfather wanted to become a doctor. And I was like, oh, sure, they never talked about that. Why would my grandpa say that. He was like he was like asking more interesting questions or he was like he was like, what's up, America's weird?
Speaker 2: Like he wasn't.
Speaker 1: He wasn't like that is a grandchild that will become a doctor.
Speaker 2: He was kind of like, I've seen it. I've seen it in a vision. I had a dream last night, and this is what must happen.
Speaker 3: Did you call her on it? Where you're like, no, he didn't, you're making that up.
Speaker 1: I tried to. I tried to. But I'm also terrified of my mom. She's very smart and funny, which means that she is very mean, and in a way that's true.
Speaker 4: If she's funny, then she had to understand then that you wanted to be a comedy writer.
Speaker 3: Part of it's.
Speaker 2: Also her fault. Yeah, point, don't be funny to me.
Speaker 1: If I'm not, I just throw back a whole bottle of ad bill. Yeah. She is very funny, and she well, she was always kind of like like, while she was trying to talk me out of this, she was like, why can't you just be funny, just like being funny friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love when doctors have jokes. I'm not defending her, but it's a great time for comedy.
Speaker 1: It's a great time for comedy.
Speaker 4: Airline pilots, when stakes are high, bring the comedy.
Speaker 2: But that is a very relevant question because I lately have had that idea where I was like, in my mind there was never a question of what I wanted to do, and it was very much like this weird kind of like, oh the I that was my calling legitimately, but only very recently. I was just like, but why did I have to do it to this degree? Why couldn't I. It's it's a very salient point to be like, but in the smaller pond of being like, you know, even like just an amazing accountant. That's also the most fun at parties that's a victory in and of itself, Like, yeah, does it have to be official?
Speaker 1: Yeah? She was just like, why do you have to make it a whole thing? Stop making everything a whole thing. It's exhausting. And I was like, you don't understand my art, and she was like, what art You've never written?
Speaker 3: You put on a black beret and storm off. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I teach her a little something about society.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly spoken word.
Speaker 4: Were you able to stay at the same school they had, so it's like a pre med and they have a liberal arts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a liberal arts school, so I could like very easily switch over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I ended up majoring in English, and it was for fun. It was also I do think that there was some merit to being funny in a place where everyone is really smart, because a lot of the times then the professors felt like they could kind of relax around me because they were like, you're not trying to like, you're not going to outsmart us, you're not even gonna meet us. So this is like nice. We just this dynamic is exactly what it's supposed to be. You're a weird child and I'm grown up.
Speaker 4: That's what I wanted to hear you say because that my dad always told me my plan B could be if comedy ended up not working out, which he was supportive of, but he said the other option is to get a normal job, like he worked in government and he was funny all the time. That's how he showed power over people, so that he was sarcastic and funny, and it would like intimidate. He did it in a certain way. It's a style of comedy. But he always told me like, or you could get a regular job and be funny there. But primarily he wanted me to keep doing comedy, which is I'm lucky to have that kind of support.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's really nice.
Speaker 4: You've finished school, like not that long ago, right was it in twenty sixteen? Yeah, and you're because you what you've done already. I just is a list of things that intimidate me, like McSweeney's and just the name of that college I didn't know, and what anything about it? I knew that college that that name intimidates me.
Speaker 2: And uh so you can go there if you want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's all girls as women's girls.
Speaker 1: It is a women's college.
Speaker 2: Are we not supposed to sail girls.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: All female. All female.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. We were all getting in trouble. Girly girl, tiny girls, the little time.
Speaker 2: He wants go to school because they're so smart.
Speaker 3: I'm glad we're talking about this in these terms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a college. It's a college for the daintiest, tiniest girl.
Speaker 2: You have to walk around campus with books on your head, balancing books on your head the entire time. Yeah, people love fucking college. On the East Coast, they loved they love it like it's a big deal. Yeah, in California it's a little less. It's a little more locy goosy out here. I think people are just like, maybe if you went to Stanford.
Speaker 4: And in Montana, it's like, I guess I'll go to college. I lost my really good job at the paper mill.
Speaker 1: It's like, but you kept showing up to the paper mill.
Speaker 3: I like the smell.
Speaker 4: I secretly was just nonchalantly sniffing glue.
Speaker 2: You pick up raw paper, and like, if only there are a bunch of words on this, it would teach me something.
Speaker 1: Yes, amazing, what if I found these?
Speaker 4: I just wanted to get on the ground floor of bookmaking.
Speaker 3: Not the writing.
Speaker 4: I like the construction of books, the binding, you know, not binding.
Speaker 2: And fully and sincerely. I just watched a video the other day of someone doing bookbinding and that one last thing where they the huge paper cutter comes down. Yes to cut like all the pages at once. Ooh that feels good. Yeah, just like cutting that whole.
Speaker 1: And it's so smooth, it's so sis.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it's curved. How do they do that? Was that in the video where it's curved?
Speaker 2: Oh, like old old books.
Speaker 4: I'll just keep doing this with my hand because that makes for good podcast.
Speaker 2: Curved verticular, like if the implant stayed in the right direction, curved, curved direct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're describing. You're describing a beautiful woman. You're not describing a paper cutter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're right. I was doing the figure rate with both hands. About sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: He loves bookmaking, he said.
Speaker 3: He left it, yeah in the envelope today saying the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: So what happened after you graduated from college? Let's let's get the whole storyline, your full origin story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's happened so quickly, it seems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I after I graduated college, I like two weeks later, moved out to LA and I applied to a million assistant jobs and they all said no, thank you, and they were correct. I it would not be good at that.
Speaker 2: But it's hard.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's really hard. It's like a you have to be like organized and you have to be smart to do that.
Speaker 2: Oh big time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then I I became a nanny and I love kids, so it was super super fun. I nanny Day's seven year old boy who was like so sweet. And then there was like one day where I was like, should I maybe I like put a some effort and I asked him. I was like, do you want like a playdate with your friend? And he looked at me and said, I want to just sit and chat.
Speaker 4: I was like, yes, sit in chat And.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing is that. Like then when we did, you know, sit down to have a chat, he was like, what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: Classy?
Speaker 3: I yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember I was greeted at the door of a house a party I went to and it was a ten year old kid and he said, can I get you anything to drink? He just water, But it was it seemed like the most I love kids when they say grown up things.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's so funny because I mean when now if you talk to like a five or six year old, like those are pandemic kids, like they learned all of their social in action at home with adults. And so like my friend her daughter like went to preschool in person for the first time, and it was reported back to her after the first day that apparently she like went around saying, may I play with you? And my friend was like, that's so scary. Yeah, the children were like, you know, not looking. Some of them just like took off their shirt because that's what children do.
Speaker 4: This is so interesting because one of my biggest concerns, other than elderly people in care not being visited because of COVID, was little kids not being able to play and go outside and yeah and get in trouble and ride bikes and blow stuff up with fireworks. But what if statistically it means that it is the highest performance that two year in the developmental stage the people at are homeschooled. We just find out that it makes these geniuses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called the polite generation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just really good conversationalist, just very generous and very emotionally intelligent.
Speaker 1: Well, my neighbor. My neighbor's kid is five, and he is the same exact way where I saw him like right outside the garage and he was like he said to me, he was like, you have to come over, and I was and I was like, what what do you mean And he was like, We've got a lot of toys. You got to see him.
Speaker 2: Get your ass over here.
Speaker 1: It was like, there is a couch with your name on it.
Speaker 2: Girls, sit down and spill it. Well, it makes sense to me because I think little kids, especially that age like five and six, adult attention is like kind of hard to come by sometimes. So when there's like when you can give a kid focused attention and literally like have a conversation or make them tell you a story or whatever, that is like they love that the most, right Yeah. I mean like there's some kids are like get it away from me, minecraft or whatever, but there's definitely those kids that are like, yeah, I would love like an adult who basically give me the floor and I get listened to the way I have to listen to you assholes all day long. That's how I always felt as a kid, where I'm just like, yeah, yep, yeap, I've got some good shit to tell you about what happened at school today, Like let's wrap it up, it's my turn, ye.
Speaker 1: And it's so funny that age, they're also like putting on kind of adult behaviors and they're sort of trying things out. So like I have another friend who because in LA you have to like interview or like temp at preschool before you get in. But she like took her daughter to like a kindergarten interview, and her daughter right out the gate told the interviewer, girl, I love your shoes.
Speaker 2: In Yeah, I mean, what more do you want from a child?
Speaker 1: I know? And then everyone started laughing and then immediate tears. Everyone's laughing at me, everyone's laughing at you.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Like when kids are all excited it's their birthday and the cake comes and they're about to blow out the candle and everyone sings and they just burst into tears. There's entire that's like series of YouTube videos that I've.
Speaker 3: Watched, like I don't true though, I don't like this attention from this.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you think you want the attention because it's like when the birthday cake is coming at you. You're in a dark room. Suddenly someone turned out all the lights. No one's looking at you, everyone's looking at the cake. And then the cake slowly gets brought to you until it's right under your face. And then everyone's staring at you now, and what you're going to do with this cakeated by flame? Yes it's hot, suddenly it's hot, and all their children crowding on either side of you. It's sinister.
Speaker 4: And then adults sing the most poorly written song music.
Speaker 3: No one wants to hear it, No one wants to sing it.
Speaker 4: Only Tgi Fridays was smart enough to write a new one. And yet we all sing the worst song in history, next to a couple songs by Third Eye Blind.
Speaker 3: Sorry take that Third Eye Blind.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way. But about our national anthem, I think it's the worst. Like do not expect a group of people to hit and the rockets red glare, We just as a country are revealed to be awful singers because suddenly we're all having sing this very complicated song.
Speaker 4: It's a hard it's hard to sing. I've seen amazing singers mass that up.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's all over the map. It's like Wade, it starts down't here, then it's nuts.
Speaker 1: So it's nuts. And also like my favorite moment is when like the panic starts to set in of we started too high.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh man, I experienced that ye lately at my nearby karaoke.
Speaker 1: Stop you do the national anthem and it sounds good.
Speaker 2: Followed by it and the people love that Happy Birthdays right behind it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one two punch and I don't even attempt it. When I see how high it's going, I'm like, ah, fuck it, I tried it.
Speaker 2: I just stop, you know, switch into your head voice and go no, I go immediately into interpretive dance, which no one expects. I honestly, you guys have to look up or if you haven't seen it, you may have seen it already. You know who can sing a perfect national anthem as Jack Black? And he there's a video of him on YouTube doing it, and I think it's the early two thousands, probably it was a while ago, and he's doing it at the beginning of a basketball game for a basketball team I've never seen before, so perhaps not a California team.
Speaker 3: Was it the MTV Rock and Jock b Bald Jam.
Speaker 2: Yes, just as a real game. Sorry, but you have to see it because he well he has that range, but he sings it because he, you know, was a really good singer and he was in a lot of musicals in high school and stuff. He fucking nails it, like, and the crowd is so relieved, like there's some deep discomfort where no one's had enough beer yet to not feel when somebody's suffering under like that really is. People feel that pain when even when it's even slightly off a little bit, it's hard.
Speaker 4: And then they take it to the court and it affects team play. Yes, that community started by witnessing pain. Why fundamentals go right out the goddamn window.
Speaker 3: I want to band singing all together. I just turned to the dad from Piddlers. It's bad for sports.
Speaker 2: It gets everybody all riled up, I guess everyone.
Speaker 1: And then and then they're just bummed out. So they're just like now dribbling and walking across the what's the fucking point, my legs.
Speaker 2: Are so heavy? Yeah, suddenly I'm exhausted.
Speaker 3: Nothing sadder than a crying man dribbling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's just you just gotta run the clock out. Yeah, And you're like, we all we all started off like that singer is still here, and it's really it's really drained the energy out.
Speaker 2: What if you fucking like just eight ship trying to sing the national anthem at a national sport game and then you had to go sit in your seat like in the row soup, just sit there like you love it for an hour, knowing that you basically started off wrong, and everyone it like blames you for the bad energy. And then you're just like here I am in my the ribbons in my hair, like yeah, big smile, Now I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Have some fun.
Speaker 4: The camera keeps zooming in on you and showing you on the screen so everyone could shake their heads, remembering how you're saying terribly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then the headline the next day just like weird energy on court, like weird energy settling. Yeah, everyone a little off.
Speaker 3: I failed to tempt at pais.
Speaker 4: Another thing that I only know smart people to be involved with is mc sweeney's.
Speaker 3: How did that happen? Was that I just.
Speaker 1: Started like submitting stuff to them when I was in college, and then eventually and then eventually one stuck. That's I wore them out.
Speaker 2: How many did you submit? Over one hundred less than five.
Speaker 1: Over fifteen, less than five, and.
Speaker 2: She's a Wellesley girl.
Speaker 1: I'm a.
Speaker 3: Dainty little Wellesley.
Speaker 1: I'm the tiniest girl you've ever seen.
Speaker 3: But don't worry.
Speaker 4: She has good posture, she can still tye, and good pomp and circumstance.
Speaker 1: I have three mixed Sweeney's anthologies on my head that I balance.
Speaker 2: Someday, and it's like, through osmosis, you get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I just started. I just started submitting from college and.
Speaker 2: Then and they way with the first one you got in, Just what was that? Like? Was was it out of the blue? Die? Did you know anybody there?
Speaker 3: Were? You?
Speaker 2: Just like blind submitting?
Speaker 1: And I was just yeah, it was just blind submitting.
Speaker 2: And how do they let you know? Do they email you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They emailed and they were like, uh, we like this fucking finally. All your other pieces were dog shit.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding though.
Speaker 4: When I moved here, other than someone being a lampoon but I don't even know enough about it to talk about it in the lampoon or going to Emerson or something like, there would always be people going like that person's written for McSweeney's and everyone's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, it's like such a big deal. It really is.
Speaker 2: So you get this email and what do you quietly smile to yourself and go about your business. Do you turn to someone and scream, I fucking told you, I'm out of here? Like, what give me the moment that you got that news?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tourched the building. I'm in.
Speaker 2: Match over the shoulder as you walk away, putting on sunglasses.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was super excited. I was like because it was, you know, my first time being published, and yeah, it was just it was very exciting and I and I called my parents and told them, and then and the thing about my parents really humble me a lot, because they were like, what's.
Speaker 2: That You're like, then you trust me that it's really good and a very big deal.
Speaker 1: And then well, actually my mom's My mom's whole thing was she was like, if you get published by like the New Yorker before you graduate, then I'll like believe in this thing. And it did happen to the day one week before I graduated, So I was like, just under.
Speaker 4: The wall, Yeah that's was that uh just a coincidence or was that a goal of yours?
Speaker 3: And then it happened. It wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't really a goal of mine, but it was. It was very funny because the the editor for the humor section like reached out to me because she had read some of my McSweeney stuff by then, and she was like, I don't know if you'd at all be interested in writing for us, And I was like, can you imagine if I had emailed back? No, I'm good, thank you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not that in your cartoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, start coloring those in then I'll do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like your black and line artwork.
Speaker 2: Just send them. You clip out some Garfields and like, you know, take take a hint from this color palace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say, why is this? Why is this cat a winner?
Speaker 2: Because this is not? And we all know this is why you.
Speaker 1: Will never see Garfield in fucking therapy, Like all of your animals are.
Speaker 4: In Yeah, only John is in therapy.
Speaker 1: That poor guy, That poor guy. He really deals with a lot, Yeah he does. He really deals with a lot.
Speaker 2: He's up against it for.
Speaker 3: He's kind of creep.
Speaker 4: It always seems like he's uh lusting after nurses. And I feel like John had he was like a weird guy.
Speaker 2: Well he's a cat guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, there are those cats. Hey wait, I'm a cat guy. I was. I was about to agree, and then I remember it. I like cats.
Speaker 2: I'm just from the light in here on because it's slow, the sun's going down.
Speaker 4: But it did the sun suddenly dip in the ocean, because all of a sudden it just was dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. I mean, we've been recording during magic hour, and what a magic hour it's been.
Speaker 3: This is when it all happens.
Speaker 2: We're losing light people.
Speaker 3: Look, yeah, where's the first ad on this thing?
Speaker 1: We only get one shot at this. We only get one shot at this.
Speaker 2: Guys, no one flow up your line from here on us.
Speaker 3: So what is the invite?
Speaker 4: You now work at the Simpsons, and you work there today, what happened?
Speaker 3: Tell us some stories.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the most fun job I've ever had. I'm having just like the best time. Yeah, honestly, the gossip is lovely job, really nice time, really really nice people. And every day has felt like I'm a make a wish kid.
Speaker 3: That's so great. What season is it right now?
Speaker 1: The season that's airing is thirty four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh wow, isn't Homer Simpson thirty four years old.
Speaker 1: He really he's thirty eight. He was actually four when he first turned thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Think about it, man, so trippy, just like go to sleep out of stress. I mean, I know you just met me, but good job graduating in twenty sixteen. Like what if I, especially in the last two years, if I think of what I've done in the time.
Speaker 3: That you've done all.
Speaker 4: This, it's let's just not talk about it. I'm just saying, good job. I think that happened so fast for you.
Speaker 1: I mean, I am incredibly lucky like that. It happened because I just had a lot of people in my corner, and my first few years in LA I almost exclusively made friends with people over forty And I don't really know why or how that you know what, Actually it happened because the mom of the kid I nannyied. She and I got really close and she's also TV writer, and so then she like introduced me to all her friends and as a result, like I would say, the median age of my engagement party was like sixty five.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's terrific.
Speaker 4: It's perfect. I have my same with me, but for different reasons. It's because I started golfing. I have a lot of older friends.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, how often do golf?
Speaker 4: Oh I'm not as much as I used to, but three or four times a week, like I got addicted to it. And then my skateboarder friends are like eighteen to twenty four. It's just I think it's important to have that many friends.
Speaker 2: But full range.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good range.
Speaker 4: I think it's luck even though you met those people. It sounds like the fact that you kept submitting. I think most comic or what I'm afraid of personally is being told you're not good enough or hearing I create my own obstacles because I'm so scared to get shot down that I that's what's kept me from doing that.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you weren't scared to do that.
Speaker 1: I will say that, like I've never really obviously like rejection is a bummer because it's rejection. But I really wasn't like afraid of rejection. And I think it was because early on, like my parents were so mad at me that it was like, what you're gonna reject me? My mom just did, You're not gonna You're not gonna like meet her level. You're not going to get up there in terms of rejection.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 4: That lines up perfectly because I had both my parents' full support and approval when I went into comedy, so they believed in me, So why should I you know?
Speaker 1: I yeah, I do think that the kind of the special sauce was that my parents were like mean to me some of the time.
Speaker 2: Also, I mean, there there's really something to be said for that idea that you went in thinking you were going to have one plan right and then seeing it, feeling it, knowing it isn't right, calling it early enough, taking the heat early enough, because that's a huge fucking deal. When you have like legacy doctor shit in your family, there's a lot of pressure. And there's also that kind of thing. Nobody in my family expected me to do anything, like they were just like hopefully, you know, hopefully she'll get through college and I didn't. But but it's that idea of like you have to you have to know what's like when I went to college and I was just kind of like a theater major, I was just like, I fucking hate this and I hate school. None of this feels like it's what I should be doing. And then I got kicked out for having a bad really low GPA, and that's and I was like, I'm going to turn this around by doing stand up comedy, which is like the worst solution, Like this is a non solution.
Speaker 1: And now that's your advice.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly, It's like, but what my advice is, like, know your gut well enough to not force yourself to do something that you know for a fact isn't going to give you that like life energy thing. For me, listening to you talk about that, it's just like you just did the thing of like you took all that doctor pre med energy and laser focused it toward comedy writing, you know what.
Speaker 1: That's I think that's exactly what I did, because I also like, I didn't start writing comedy. I was like, you know, I was always a fan of comedy and I really liked, you know, to be funny, and which as a teenager exhausting. That sucks. When a teen wants to be funny.
Speaker 3: That sucks.
Speaker 2: It's very national anthem going bad vibes.
Speaker 1: It's very national anthem going poorly. But it won't stop. It just won't stop, and the singer thinks it's going amazing, Yes, but yeah, I you know, I think a couple of things. I realized that the thing that I was studying, you know, doing pre med, going to med school, I would then have to become a doctor. And I was like, I don't think I want to do that, which you know, again, if if you're not like passionate about being a physician, people could die, right, And I've only killed two people doing comedy, right, I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Bring that up. Yeah, well under the bridge, we're all over it. We're over it. It was fine.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think Karen, you're exactly right that that I used a lot of that energy. I used all of that energy towards like teaching myself how to write comedy, because I started writing comedy like my first jokes and my first like comedy pieces nine years ago. And I was every single night I was after I was done with all of my like pre med homework, I would go sit in the library until one am, and every single night I would write for at least three hours. And so I have pages of garbage. Yeah, it sucks so hard. Those now double as my suicide.
Speaker 2: Not no, but you have to have that shit at the beginning, right, It's almost you have to get that, you have to clear that out you have to practice it. I mean that's also amazing because I think you just to kind of applied that, like how like the seriousness and how to succeed in school to a thing that I think a lot of people. I know, for myself, writing is difficult in that way where it is so much about discipline and it is so much about getting out of the way and just being like here, tell me, o, muse what is going to come next? And getting out of the way. But we all tell ourselves there's creativity or this, or you have all your processes and you get all ego about it. But it's like that journeyman approach, like you know, you've kind of proven that to be where it's just like, yeah, put in the Malcolm Gladwell style hours, because that's what it takes.
Speaker 1: That's what I was. I guess at the time, I was like, what if I did the ten thousand hours today?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: And so on one day? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it made several mathematicians kill themselves.
Speaker 4: Is there anything you want to plug or oh, how about the short film that Billy meets Lisa Simpson short?
Speaker 3: Did you write that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was part of a group of people who wrote that. Yeah, I just.
Speaker 4: Looked for it and I couldn't find it, so I wondered if it had come out or how do you watch it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's on Disney Plus. I'd love to take this time to plug Disney Plus. You can get the bunder.
Speaker 2: Promo code, Brothy, get in there, get your discount.
Speaker 1: Yeah, promo code, and then I just give my password.
Speaker 2: Which is your mom's past, which is my mom's pass word.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What do I want to plug? Well, my good friend Dylan Galula, who is super, super funny. She and I co host a podcast called Lecture Hall, where it's on it's impossible to find. It's only on Patreon, and we spend a lot of so the the objective of the show was always that we like we each learn something new and then teach it to the other person it.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I do a poor job of it. I do a really bad job. I'm on the Wikipedia page during recording. So if you want to learn stuff, I don't really recommend it. But if you want to have, if you want to hear, if you want more of this energy, I guess head over to Patreon. Did I do the job? Plug it?
Speaker 4: Excuse Me, voted one of the fifteen best educational podcasts to Expand your Mind by Oprah Oprah herself.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm a huge fan of the podcast.
Speaker 3: That's another.
Speaker 2: She loves.
Speaker 1: Yes, it did get it got bad enough because Dylan is the one who, like she really prepares and then during the podcast, I'll sometimes just be like, well, what do you want to know about this thing? And then just kind of look it up as we're as we're talking.
Speaker 2: So what kind of things have you taught each other so far?
Speaker 1: So we have taught each other about like our most recent episode, Oh my gosh, what did we teach each other?
Speaker 3: Podcast?
Speaker 2: You don't have a podcast.
Speaker 3: I don't have a podcast.
Speaker 1: I don't have a podcast. The Patreon link is actually upfront for another Disney Plus plug.
Speaker 2: Money goes straight to Disney. Really concerned keep them in business, guys.
Speaker 1: It's a really good cause. I'm yeah, I'm really fighting for this cause it's Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: They've struggled for what did.
Speaker 1: We Yeah, And I just want to show my appreciation, my appreciation for the mouse nice.
Speaker 4: It is so hard to remember what you podcast about, my sister.
Speaker 2: I know it's a good trick.
Speaker 4: Question my sister is always like mentioning things that we just talked about, and I have no memory for real.
Speaker 2: Anytime that happens, someone goes, oh, you're your conversation, you guys whatever. The most recent one was my friend Jason is like my stage mother and listens to every episode. He was like, that conversation was great. I literally sat there like staring into space, like I couldn't think of one. How was it great?
Speaker 4: As soon as we log off, I take a nap or just crawling.
Speaker 1: He's telling you about your latest episode, and you're just kind of like foaming at the mouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like what silent?
Speaker 2: What did I say?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Great plug that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Broth, you're the you're the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you, you guys are thank you so much for having me on. So I just figured out what the latest thing we taught each other was. Okay, she taught me okay, she taught me about monogamy and animals, and I taught her about hands across America.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was like ten years old when that happened.
Speaker 1: It was witness the craziest thing. What a wild concept.
Speaker 2: Yes, insane, pointless. Also hard to track back then because that was back when there was only three channels. So I remember asking my parents of like, hey, when's this going to be on? And they're like, we don't know what you're talking about. Because there would be commercials for it during like cartoon time when we would come home from school and like watch cartoons for a while, and they'd be like and there was a whole song, and they would like they promoted it, like you could go participate in it, but then there was no word about like what's the local chapter, like where do we meet at the library? Like it was. It was presented as like guys, we've got a plan as a nation, and we're all going to go hold hands, but then that was there was no follow up in my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems risky. That's risky behavior. I remember the song. I remember the logo. I still don't know what it is. You actually go outside and hand hold hands with the whole town across you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you had to pay ten dollars for your place in the line. And they was getting rich, so they it was supposed to be like a yeah, everyone paid for their own Disney Plus subscription, but they said they were like we're gonna make like fifty million dollars for like, uh, to combat like poverty and homelessness in the US. They did not make that much money. They made like ten million dollars like if even And I think the like the birth of the idea was that a guy who was involved with We Are the World just like said he just said, outline, what if everybody held hands across the country. And then someone was like, that sounds so impossible, that it's possible, and then they which is like, so two insane people set insane sentences at each other and they made it everyone else's problem.
Speaker 2: And if you wrote those down and you put them into a stoner movie, there would be two perfect stoner lines for people who just got really high and to say to each other and then and take it seriously, like how could drugs not have been involved in that plan?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where it's like how just I used to think about it so much because I lived in the North Bay and the in near San Francisco, the Bay area. But I was like, how are we going to Like my cousins live in Millbray and we live up in Petaluma, But there's no way this chain is going, Like it's not going north, south, east, and west, like they're gonna it can only be one line. So look, where wouldever you're gonna meet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's all these rivers and lakes and stuff. How do you deal with that? Boats?
Speaker 1: They also didn't account for like the desert.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean it would have to go up. It would basically have to start in like southern Oregon to go across through Wyoming, because if you go anywhere above that are below it, you're either boiling hot or freezing cold. Yes, right, you'd have to go straight through the middle. I actually want to map this out now. And now I'm gonna have to go. I'm gonna have to give you five dollars for Patreon and listen to this goddamn episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're gonna have to do that, and I'm so sorry and advance.
Speaker 2: It was the perfect No, this is perfect marketing. You've You've dangled just enough information one now I have to go get the rest of it. Amazing.
Speaker 3: That podcast is called Lecture Haul.
Speaker 1: Yes, the podcast is called Lecture Hall. So what did I say? Okay, it's impossible to find it and it's called Lexa.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you Brothie for being on guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was great. To meet you, and it was actually great to hear. I've been pronouncing your name in my head from Twitter incorrectly, so now i know how to say it correctly, and I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: We have cheat code.
Speaker 4: They are our information sheet has a correct pronunciation, so it's not like I'm smarter than Karen and I just said that.
Speaker 3: That's thing I don't want to take credit.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being honest. I thought you guys were like old buddies, yeah.
Speaker 3: Back in the day and make sure there was a sound. Yeah. But thank you for being on.
Speaker 2: It was great to meet you. So fun guys, it was so lovely to meet you.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to Do You Need a Ride?
Speaker 2: D y n Hey.
Speaker 3: This has been an exactly Right production.
Speaker 2: Produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 3: Mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 2: Our talent booker is Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 3: Song by Karen kolberav.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n Ar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to exactly Rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you well, You're welcome.
Speaker 3: Hank Hank. We used to honk