Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's not Monday morning at eleven am, but it kind of sort of is because it's the second day of the new year in the national foot's right, and we have so much to talk about here on mix Shots inside the STBBC podcast studio, and Mickey Spagnola has returned from wherever he went. Everson Walls is in the house as well, and we got a lot of catching up to do.
Speaker 4: We sure do. Last night, you know, I was here work.
Speaker 2: Vicky's got his snowbeard going.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: Ever since what's going on?
Speaker 4: Well, there's no sense if you're out skiing to shave excuse me.
Speaker 5: Wow, So you know I didn't know you were living like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was just an annual ski trip for you. It is, okay.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you know, way back, I used to go a couple of times. Okay, now I'm limited to one.
Speaker 2: And the big news is you came back healthy.
Speaker 4: I did, thank god, not a prop. I don't ski for a gold medal anymore.
Speaker 5: Okay anymore anymore?
Speaker 4: Before I did, tried to get better and better, you know.
Speaker 3: So you timed it so that we could do mix shots after the start of the new league.
Speaker 2: That's why we'd have more to talk about. We wouldn't be speculating.
Speaker 4: And I think we probably need more than forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: We succeeded.
Speaker 4: Last night. I was working. It was my day to write, and I was like, okay, now I got to add that. What No, wait, I gotta add. No, there's another one I got to add, and uh. It just kept going and going and going. After the Cowboys ended up with signing over the or making it official. Five guys in free agency and two trades, so actually six. I almost forgot Jack. No. Five, Jack Sanbornan was the last.
Speaker 2: One to go down last night.
Speaker 4: Linebacker had been in Chicago, so I'm assuming Matt iberflus knew all about him since he made the Bears as a undrafted free agent out of Wisconsin linebacker, special teams player. He's like, didn't start with Jack said, I know that's how we got going. He's a younger Nick Vigil. Okay, all right, start where you want.
Speaker 5: All right, let's start with who we lost?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, well that is not also see ever since got his finger on the pulse of the community.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: We want to know and we can bitch about. Let's start.
Speaker 2: How about we start with d Law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one.
Speaker 3: Second round draft pick in twenty fourteen, after eleven seasons, here the four time pro bowler headed to the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 4: Aiden dirty and a lot of money, a lot of money at him at a three year deal.
Speaker 2: You see the guarantee on it.
Speaker 3: I did not I did last night, And in fact I told someone I bet the guarantee.
Speaker 2: It came.
Speaker 3: It was three years, forty two million, and I said, I bet the guarantee.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I.
Speaker 3: Landed on this, but I top of my head, I said eighteen million. And sure enough, eighteen million guaranteed.
Speaker 4: And that's eighteen million for a guy that's starting his twelfth year.
Speaker 3: Well, he's going he's going to be thirty three next month, and so it's pretty easy to figure out what the guarantee.
Speaker 2: Is going to be for a thirty three year old.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it sounds great three years, forty two million dollars and hopefully he can play three years.
Speaker 5: But he's thirty three years old.
Speaker 2: He'll be thirty three next thirty three.
Speaker 5: I was out of the league.
Speaker 4: You weren't getting guaranteed players are.
Speaker 3: And so if you look at the going rate for someone of his ilk now coming off of major injury too, that in that eighteen to twenty million dollar range would be as one year salary. But that's why top of it, right, mean, so I look at it as it's probably more of a year and a half type guarantee and so, but good for him.
Speaker 4: No, you know, and he only played four games last year. Yeah, he's very effective. It was very effective in those four games. And if you remember, if we look back at it, he was their best run defender as a defense end by the way, for about ten years, and his pressures were high. I hated to see that. I just had a feeling that somebody was going to price the Cowboys out of the market of Seattle. Certainly did. But I knew he wanted to play. I ran into him here three weeks ago something like that, and I said, are you healthy, You're ready to go? He goes, yeah, and from what I was told, had the Cowboys been in anything last year, he would have been able to play the last maybe in the month of the season and the playoffs if they were in the playoffs. So if you remember, he had a list frank injury to his foot and I was told it was like nearly needed surgery, but it didn't. And that was a tough one to come back from. But he when I asked him, he goes, I'm ready to go. I'm rehabbing. I said, well, do you want to? I mean, eleven years you want to play? And he goes, I need to. I go, what do you mean? He goes, I just had another child. He said, I need health insurance. So I think eighteen million guarantees a probably good chunk of health insurance. You know what, he was such a good guy here, good teammate for some reason, you know, over the years, and I don't know bills around these guys, but at some point, when you're around him that long, you sort of bond with some guys, and I kind of bonded with it. And it started with his rookie year when he fractured his fifth metatarsal and he missed the first I want to say, the first ten twelve games his rookie year rehabit, and I told him, hey, no problem, I recovered from my fifth fractured meditar, so you can do it too.
Speaker 2: You're young.
Speaker 4: And he was just a good guy.
Speaker 5: Well, he was a leader in the locker room. Yes, out about it. When things were going bad.
Speaker 6: He was the one that everyone always looked towards to say something or get somebody going.
Speaker 4: And he would say, a locker room guy. But he's a locker room guy that can play right.
Speaker 6: He's a locker room guy that makes plays when we need him to make plays. So that's what makes the loss to me so deep.
Speaker 4: And if you remember his rookie year, I want to say it was in the playoff game against Detroit. He made a play, recovered the ball and then fumbled it, and then he made a sack at the end to seal the game and that got his career off and running.
Speaker 5: Well, dang, we can't just lament on him this whole time.
Speaker 3: What about its lament on Rico Rinco Dowdell is now Carolina Panther. And of course the Cowboys signed Javonte Williams and I haven't officially announced that yet, but Javonte Williams reportedly is head the Cowboys. Uh, and it's very it's a very similar contract for both of them. He's got Rico's got incentives. They can get it up to double the three million dollar base, but.
Speaker 4: Just a one year deal.
Speaker 3: One year deal for Rico and one year deal for Javonte Williams as well. So, and then you look at Carolina's situation and they've got Cuba Hubbard. They've released Miles Sanders obviously, and this was a couple of days ago. They released Miles Sanders, so clearly they felt like they were going to sign Rico or someone and uh so they made that move. They've got Cuba Hubbard, and then they've got the second round draft pick Jonathan Brooks out of Texas, who suffer his second straight ACL injury last season, so he's he's out. So they needed a second running back to go with Chuba Hubbard. And so it's running back by committee there.
Speaker 4: So which do you think took place first? The Cowboys agreeing.
Speaker 3: With I'm going to assume because the contracts are so similar.
Speaker 2: They probably tol Rico.
Speaker 3: This is what we're willing to spend on a running back, veteran running back, and he decided he wanted to test.
Speaker 2: The market and then he got the same thing basically. But in the meantime, the Cowboys had to make their move, and I assume that's why it happened.
Speaker 3: And he's close to home, right, Yeah, he's from Carolina.
Speaker 4: So so this puts another mark on the Cowboys drafting or running back. I would think, right, they were going to do that, yes regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they could.
Speaker 3: Sign an another veteran running back and they're still drafting a running back.
Speaker 4: At some point draft right exactly.
Speaker 3: Javonte Williams is two years younger than Rico o'dowdell. Now the Javante I loved him the Big Green Notebook, loved him coming out of North Carolina. His second year in twenty twenty two, suffered a knee injury. But he's come back the last year or two and he's been I don't know if he has the same explosion that he had coming out of North Carolina, but he's been a decent back, you know, to where I don't know that there's that much difference between Rico dowdell and Javonte Williams. Right, And so's and that's why they wind up in the same pay range.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's probably a and I mean, depending on what happens in the draft, a good sign for Deuce Vaughn, then maybe he'll get a little bit more of an opportunity in Schottenheimer's offense. Then he got this rookie year, so we'll see where that one goes.
Speaker 3: Jordan Lewis, there's the next one is Jordan Lewis out the door.
Speaker 4: And when I wrote my column, it was like the Cowboys were playing whack a mole. Bullshs up, they hit it down, they get somebody, and then another one pops up, and Jordan Lewis was that they couldn't touch that money. No, I heard about that one thirty million, ten million a year for a thirty year old slot corner.
Speaker 6: And somebody who was one of the favorites in the locker room. Yes, yes, from what I heard, everyone was very happy for him, hated to see him go, but glad to see someone get as much money as he as he got because everyone felt that he deserved it considering how much heart that he played with throughout the entire career.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was and just a good soldier. I mean really and played the slot. Well, so I looked this up and he couldn't pass this up, right. He played eight years with the Cowboys. He totaled twenty one million in cash.
Speaker 5: He just got twenty He just got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, right, seventeen and he got twenty million guaranteed twelve point five million his first year. So yeah, So again, when teams have money available like that under the cap, they can just wipe you out and it doesn't matter if they make a mistake because the amount of money they have available it absorbs any mistakes you might make. It's not like, oh god, we just spent twenty million and look what happened. You know, It's like, okay, you take out the eraser.
Speaker 5: He's in Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Jacksonville, Yes, yes, Jacksonville.
Speaker 5: So what are you gonna say? Bill?
Speaker 3: I always going I'm looking it up right now, George, because I was going to ask you about this, But before I ask you about it, I want to find exactly what he tweeted out.
Speaker 2: So let me hold that thought for just a moment.
Speaker 3: About Jordan Lewis, it was basically what was asked of him as a slot corner in this league and playing man and carrying receivers downfield. He judged more as a slot corner than what other cornerbacks are last season, what other cornerbacks were asked to do.
Speaker 6: And that we're just talking, that's just talking past defense. We're not even mentioning the run defense where he really showed me what a stubborn person he is.
Speaker 4: So is the pause.
Speaker 6: He refused to be picked on as the little guy in the middle of all that confusion.
Speaker 4: So the slot corner are usually in man or can you zone or both?
Speaker 6: Well, slot corner usually you're going to be in man, know depending on the team that you play with. So you've got to be able to cover not just one side of the other, the middle of the field. So that means that the wide receiver has two ways to go every time he's down the field. So you can't play the sidelines like you usually can if you're playing a corner back position. At safety, you know you have to worry about playing man to man. Safeties don't worry about playing man to man, and he has to play run defense as if he's a linebacker and at someone in his size. That's something that I was very impressed with because I didn't have to do that until I got to the Giants, and then of course that was continued Belichick with the Browns.
Speaker 5: And I really took a lot of pride.
Speaker 6: In the fact that I was able to play that slot position after not really playing it at all my first nine years in the league. But it's a mentality that you have to have, and the referees they kind of give you a little leeway inside because they know it's a tough job. But I used to try, and I used to try and put as much hands on those wife hands possible.
Speaker 5: You got to put this.
Speaker 6: You gotta get the hands on them first impede their progress. But at the same time, you have to know when they're trying to run the ball, So you've got a lot of things going on, especially on third down. You have to think third and short, what they're gonna do, third long, what they're gonna do. And Jordan Lewis did all of that very well. His anticipation during his entire career here, I thought was very impressive.
Speaker 4: Say and that gets overlooked and should be a feather in Darren Woodson's pro Hall of.
Speaker 5: Fame about it. We talked about it all right.
Speaker 4: We talk about his ability to play the run in the slot and lead this franchise in career tackles.
Speaker 6: And he's doing it as a He did it as a safety, right. He never tried to be a cornerback, So to play that slot as a safety when you have no cornerback history at all, that was pretty impressive. I can't believe the Cowboys actually asked him to do it. We didn't have anyone else besides Darren Woodson that could cover a slot and we could put down in the back where he could really make things happen.
Speaker 5: I was just, you know, that's something that was very unusual.
Speaker 4: They fell into it, they really did, because when they drafted him, and I know, we're getting off the freeze. When they drafted him, he had been a highbred linebacker at Arizona State and.
Speaker 6: He's going from a hybrid linebacker to base our hybrid safety.
Speaker 4: And his rookie year, they knew he was going to have to make the transition to safety, right, and Jimmy said, Okay, we're going to have him play special teams and then ease him into that position, right, And then I don't the second year did the second year it was like, hey, Campbell, we're putting him at safety, and then they realized he could play in the nickel. And Jimmy told me after that season he goes, you know, or later on he told me that one of my biggest mistakes I made with Darren Woodson is I didn't start him as a rookie because I didn't think he'd be ready, and they found out differently.
Speaker 2: Finally, man, Jordan Lewis tweet, I found it tweets.
Speaker 3: A lot through all his tweets, I had to find the one, which was on January sixth.
Speaker 2: Man, oh, he didn't like that Luca trade.
Speaker 3: On January sixth, he tweeted, No, no other Nickel, No know this. Other Nichols aren't doing what I'm doing. Secondaries aren't doing what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 3: We do not two to one read. We do not zone drop. When you turn on the tape, all you will see is us vertically carrying from first to fourth down.
Speaker 2: And that's how you know. Coxonville noticed somebody.
Speaker 4: I don't know how they figure it out because so many guys playing the nickel and move around that he's the highest paid nickel corner now in the league in history.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so when you think about what he just wrote about carrying carrying him down the field. That's why they were running on them. So, well, you see we're playing man to man. Uh huh, we're not playing zone. You know, we're playing man to man. And now you have to as a as a slot guy, you're really a linebacker and you.
Speaker 5: Have to carry a guy down the field.
Speaker 6: But then you also have to wrestle with this guy if they run the ball, which they did a lot of these last two years.
Speaker 2: And then you think what you're saying is defensive coordinators noticed that. Ye like, you go to the ball.
Speaker 5: And the guys mickeyside.
Speaker 4: We got a small nickel and I only have two linebackers out there, well.
Speaker 5: And we start run like this is not third down. We start the game like this.
Speaker 6: So that's why you're looking at us giving up historically bad games.
Speaker 4: Well, if you think about it the year before when they would go into that big nickel, so he's in the slot, and then they were playing curse curse as the linebacker along with whoever was in the middle right, and then when that guy got hurt, Bell had to assume that spot.
Speaker 3: And before we go to break, since you mentioned Bell, yes, Mark, you one of the understated sightings as we focus so much on an unrestricted free agents, is the fact that Marquase Bell, a restricted free agent.
Speaker 2: Is back on a three year contract.
Speaker 3: And I bring it up because what we saw with Marquise Bell two years ago with Dan Quinn as his defensive coordinator, he saw so much in him that he moves him to linebacker and he was basically the leading tackler on this team after injuries at the linebacker position, and then last year with Mike Zimmer as a defensive coordinator, he never got on the field on defense.
Speaker 2: Now we got a new defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: And what it tells me is Matt Ibraflu Matt Eberflus has looked at the tape and decided, you know what, I.
Speaker 6: Can use this guy maybe playing with safety instead of a linebacker.
Speaker 3: And you got both safeties coming back and Donovan Wilson and Malie Cooker which you had last year. But it looks like that Iberflus has a plan for marku east.
Speaker 4: Bell and what they did, and we'll get into that and the contract structure for Cavante Turpin. Both guys were restricted did free agents, so Marquis Bell wasn't drafted but if they tendered him for right of first refusal, it was going to be three point two million dollars against the cap. But signing him to a three year deal and giving him a signing bonus, now his cap hit for the first year is less than that three million dollars because they spread out the signings, so they actually saved money. And we can get into Turpens deal also because it got blown up is three years eighteen million, but the real numbers will come next.
Speaker 3: And Marcus Bell's was blown up to three years nine million. But I guarantee is six point two million guarantee, right, yes, all right, we continue with more mixed shots.
Speaker 7: In just a moment, Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte. What a pair can cracks?
Speaker 2: A kickoff?
Speaker 7: Tailgate's going way past post game Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday mornings Swager brisk it in the Smoker Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 8: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store. Letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 9: All right, folks, let's get started with the Yeddy French Press and Jeork Colby. This Stay's Hot Frivers and French Press thirty four ans for you U six four with the cruise of Yetty French Press. What mixed Waterproof bags bags Waterproof and whe'sta Waterproof, Devil's Waterprove bay bags sports most of water shoul get a waterprooved Yetti bag, gonta smell something cooking poll new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, commerce pot pine and potatoes.
Speaker 4: Next over with three sizes of the Yetti cast iron.
Speaker 8: Skillers, gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square Today.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas cow But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto wants. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 4: Win kits slides for the first down.
Speaker 10: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot com perfect.
Speaker 3: Grow my goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 10: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: To mixed shots, go what.
Speaker 4: You mean the first one on there.
Speaker 6: Experience a fabulous shopping day at the Flea Style Market at the Star, presented by Marketplace by Michaels on Saturday, March twenty second. This vibrant outdoor market is packed with over sixty local artisans offering a curated selection of fashion, jewelry, home decort, kids, goodies, and lifestyle must have for all the details, head to the Star District dot com.
Speaker 2: I guess all right.
Speaker 4: You know what that reminded. My college roommate is getting married in the middle of the ceremony. The next guy was supposed to go up and do the reading, and the guy that did it before shut the Bible.
Speaker 2: He had to find.
Speaker 4: He just opened the Bible. He just opened it and started reading whatever age.
Speaker 6: Because he knew I'm going to burn in hell because everybody just said that burning hell.
Speaker 2: You know in college, he's reading the wrong thing.
Speaker 4: And we all started laughing because we knew the idiot before who was making who was making fun of herschel Walker because he went to Georgia with herschel Walker and he said he was in one of his classes and he's like herschel couldn't even read something like that. And he gets up there and screws up. Wait to show him, buddy, anyway, Okay, go, So we moved back to Cavante.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Comante Terpin is next on the list.
Speaker 3: Yes, And it was announced as a three year, eighteen million dollar deal for Kmantee.
Speaker 4: And it was supposed to be three years, could be up to eight. Everybody out there was like, oh, by god, they gave him six million dollars a year. Well, the truth of the matter is it was three years, thirteen point five million dollars. He got a three point six million dollars signing bonus and guaranteed five million dollars. Okay, So he was a restricted free agent. I think we talked about this last time that they were going to have to tender him at a second round to get right of refusal. And if you refuse to get a second round pick back, well that was going to cost five point three million dollars right against the cap. Well, by doing what they did, they saved two million dollars against the salary cap by giving him a bonus. And they've done this before with special teams. Guys. I can't remember the guy's name. It was a defensive back bill from Italy by Texas.
Speaker 2: Yes, you said that, Keith Davis.
Speaker 4: And they did the same thing with him one year. Instead of paying him the restricted, they gave him a two year deal, paid him a little bit of signing bonus. You get your money, but it doesn't all count against the cap. So basically, in twenty twenty five, his base salary is one point four million, the pro ration on his signing bonus one point two million. He's got five hundred thousand roster bonus meeting games played. So they reduced his deal to two point five six million and saved you know, and it doesn't sound like a lot, right, but I figured out if you take the Cowboys top five salary cap hits for this year, it's one hundred and twenty one million. So if you save two million dollars, that's basically two first year players, right, So every million dollars counts when you're looking at this stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, and when you look at the details of his contract, he really wants to play offense.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's that's where the intent of the incentives we want him to play.
Speaker 3: The incentives are one and a half million dollars for catches and playoffs in twenty twenty seven and in twenty six twenty seven, one and a half. He's got a chance to have multiple bonuses up to a million and a half dollars basically if he play his offense and if this team is successful.
Speaker 2: And they had a great interview.
Speaker 3: I thought we ran it last night that Patrick no c Walker did with him after he signed the contract, and he was talking about maybe being used more on offense with the with Schottenheimer.
Speaker 2: Now, and you know Cavante. Cavante talks as fast.
Speaker 3: As he runs, but he's like, he wants to be a weapon on offense and he'll play tight end if he needs to be.
Speaker 2: He needs to play tight end. Whatever. That's what happened, world's smallest tight end.
Speaker 4: That's what happens with people from Louisiana or talk fast in laws. But you know, from what I heard that Schottenheimer would like to incorporate him a little more into the offense.
Speaker 2: I think he I heard McCarthy was going to do that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he never did. Right, thirty one catches last year. Yeah, that was a career high, like four hundred and some yards, I want to right off the top of my head. So, yeah, because when he was named the UFL Offensive Player of the Year that last year there, Yeah, he was a great returner, but it was his wide receiver stuff that really got him noted as a kind of all around football player. So that was a good signing.
Speaker 5: Somebody like Turpin.
Speaker 6: You've got to have a game plan ready for someone like him, someone with that kind of talent, you want to make sure that the game plan allows him to be used as best as possible. And what I've always seen with him is offensively, we almost almost made the play. It was almost the play we needed. It was almost set up just perfect for us. But you know, one block wasn't made here, one block wasn't made there. Terpin is the kind of guy you got to set it up perfectly to where once the play is called, your guy that run into perfection, Because he's that guy. If you run into perfection, it's a guaranteed touchdown. We're not talking about just getting a first down. He's the guy that when you do it correctly and you set him up correctly, you're talking about going for touchdowns. And that's what I think. He should be more susceptible to running touchdowns as opposed to just getting first downs. That's what I want to see from him.
Speaker 4: And here's another thing that gets overlooked. So they bring him back. He's a first team All Pro returner, right. Well, they also made sure that they and they didn't have to spend a lot. They brought back their deep snapper, Trent Sigg, and then they brought back Brian Anger, and I was told there were other teams looking at Briant the right. Yes, and and for anger, you keep that kicking operation all together, the snapper, the holder, and the kicker, who, by the way, led you with one hundred and fifty points last year, which.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It ties for second most points in a single season with Emmitt Smith, who had twenty five touchdowns the twenty nineteen ninety five season.
Speaker 3: All Right, Dak Prescott is the oldest player on this Cowboys offense. He'll turn thirty two in July. Okay, who's the second oldest player on this Cowboys offense? On the offense, on the offense, who's on the current roster, who's the second oldest player on this offense?
Speaker 4: Well, it's not on the offensive line.
Speaker 3: Interesting, the offensive line is the oldest is probably Terrence Steele, who turns twenty eight in June. It's gets Cavante Turpin. Wow, Cavante Turpin turns twenty nine in August.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I was trying to find somebody that was thirty, and I'm going no one's thirty.
Speaker 2: He turns twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Nine.
Speaker 3: Yes, And even when you go to defense, you've got Donovan Wilson turns thirty or you just turned thirty and Malie Cooker turns twenty nine in April. And aside from that, you've.
Speaker 4: Got about Solomon.
Speaker 3: The newly signed Solomon Thomas is twenty nine. He'll turn thirty in December.
Speaker 2: He was how young this team is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, which I guess happened quickly too. We should spend time on him. That was one of Bill's favorites in that draft.
Speaker 3: YEP, Solomon Thomas, who is the third pick in the draft in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Out of Coppell, Texas. He's coming home.
Speaker 3: And I'll go ahead and say this that my son in law is from coppel and his family their friends with the Thomas family. And so when the Cowboys hired Aaron Whitecotton as a defensive line coach, and he was with the Jets the last four years or whatever, and he was before that, he was at San Francisco and that was where Solomon was. I texted them and I said, I guarantee you Solomon's going to.
Speaker 2: Be a Cowboy.
Speaker 5: So I high five side.
Speaker 3: When the signing happened. But that was as predictable a signing as.
Speaker 2: You could have.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 3: I looked up and I've followed him ever since he was in high school. But and you talk about high character, leader type guy, I mean, this is exactly who you want on your football team. But I looked up his the last two years and actually tweeted this out. So let me go find the stats. You know, his number of snaps the last two years. He's just under one thousand snaps with the Jets with eight sacks I think twelve or thirteen tackles for loss. OsO Digazua or the last two years has around fifteen hundred snaps with twelve and a half sacks and about the same number of tackles for loss. He has more quarterback pressures than Solomon does, but the stats the last two years are very similar. So my point is, I think Solomon is a great compliment to OsO Digazua here and where. You know Osa has been getting eight hundred and fifty nine hundred snaps a season, well, Solomon's been around five hundred, four fifty to five hundred with the Jets and a rotation in there or side by side in past situations Solomon has. You look at his and this is why he was the third pick in the draft out of Stanford. He at it we when it came out, he was six two two seventy three. He's now listed at two hundred ninety five pounds thirty bench reps, strong as an ox in there thirty five with a thirty five vertical and a ten to five broad jut a and his cone drill was under seven at six ninety five. And he's got the athleticism and so in the right scheme, which is Matt Eberflus scheme, and how he wants his lineman to play in the backfield basically you know once that right, and so I think that and the other thing about Solomon, I mean the last couple of years he's been the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year nominee for the Jets.
Speaker 2: The things he does in the community.
Speaker 3: As I texted his dad yesterday and said, man, this is so great for Solomon and his life after football, getting established in the community here in Dallas as a cowboy. So anyway, I was just really thrilled for the for the family.
Speaker 5: So you look at that as a really good sign.
Speaker 2: I like it from a yeah, from from what his role point, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So was he defensive end, both defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: He was a basically three techniques.
Speaker 3: What he Okay, yeah, defensive, but he's versatile enough he can play like did playing on the edge as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, I thought that was so.
Speaker 3: I think I think you're you're looking at I mean Chauncey Golston.
Speaker 2: What was his role on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, same line, both right, and you know Chauncey. It was announced as a three year, nineteen and a half million dollar deal with the Giants, so you get Solomon at two years up to eight million and so and so I like, I like the move signing Solomon.
Speaker 5: And by the.
Speaker 4: Way that they got Osa done on a long term deal saved a lot of cap space this year because he was going to count if they had to franchise them twenty five million doctors.
Speaker 2: All right, we got others to get to.
Speaker 3: We need to get this break in and we're back with more mixed shots than just a moment.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail Gay party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win. Slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 10: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls with Star sports tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 7: Today Cowboys football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lyte and the Cook, the America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 12: Demict Shots.
Speaker 6: The Dallas Cowboys Girls Flag Football League is here with nearly one hundred participating high schools. The Cowboys are thrilled to provide opportunities for athletes to develop their talent and foster the growth of girls flag football in the state of Texas. Find teams, view schedules, and learn more at Dallascowboys dot com slash girls Flag.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue with mixed shots here, and the Cowboys came out became tradered Jerry all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: At three o'clock when the new league year.
Speaker 3: Kicked off yesterday afternoon what's going up on with these trades, Mickey.
Speaker 4: Well, they gave up very little to try to kind of patch or help patch holes going into the draft. The first one that went down, they traded for cornerback kaiyir Elam from the Buffalo Bills. He was a former first round pick that only started twelve of twenty nine games he played for the Bills, and they weren't going to pick up his fifty year option. He was inactive, he was hurt, and so I don't like your Is he related to Andrew Booth kind of the same, except Booth was a.
Speaker 2: Second round but Booth was a forty second pick.
Speaker 5: I just want to like, I don't like his tell this this is.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not saying that they solved their cornerback products.
Speaker 6: You would definitely not saying I could pick, just not to say that.
Speaker 4: So he sounds like he's got this guy.
Speaker 2: One signing.
Speaker 3: Ever since one signing we have neglected to mention is the fact that Tumadoga is now a Jacksonville Jaguar.
Speaker 4: What Nikky doesn't sound to talk about it.
Speaker 2: It sounds it sounds like Tuma's walking back in the door.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we got this is Tuma's replacement for this guy, well this guy.
Speaker 4: Look, when you get a cornerback who was a former first along with a twenty twenty five sixth round pick and you only had to give up a twenty twenty five fifth which was a compensatory pick for the Cowboys, and a twenty twenty sixth seventh. Uh, they were just looking to basically unload them for something.
Speaker 5: Well they did unload them.
Speaker 4: So, which gets us back to when we talked about losing Jordan Lewis. Before they made that trade, the list of linebackers other not named Deron Bland was pretty thin. The list of cornerbacks, cornerbacks, I'm sorry, cornerbacks. Kaylin Carson was probably the top of that list. Josh Butler, Heman Hall.
Speaker 3: Josh Butler coming off ACL in November, right, he's not gonna be ready for the start of.
Speaker 4: Kicking Kmen Hall Andrew Booth, got anybody else? No, because you know what Trayvon.
Speaker 3: Troy Pride and Luke Barku Okay.
Speaker 4: Like I said, and there's a very good chance Trayvon Diggs not gonna be ready to start to see it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, that sixth round pick that they got in they got a sixth.
Speaker 3: Back right, and so they pedal that moments later to Tennessee for Kenneth Murray.
Speaker 4: Which was another player you liked in that Green Notebook kind out of Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: And let me first say this, I don't like all players that come out of Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: In fact, I probably you can speak for Missouri. Okay.
Speaker 3: There are players that come out of Missouri that you have watched for the last three or four years and you're like, no, don't take him right right, okay, And then there are other players you're okay, yeah, like Membo would be one you would be on board with.
Speaker 4: Nick Bolton linebacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Darius Robinson was another one that you liked, whatever, but there have been plenty of others.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, be careful.
Speaker 2: Well. Kenneth Murray was one of those that I liked of Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: I thought you were going to say dislike now you was saiding it. No, That's why I said up that way.
Speaker 3: And he's one that I like coming out. And he went to the Chargers as a first un pick twenty three overall, and then he wound up signing with Tennessee, so he was he was in the twenty twenty draft. And so he's been with Tennessee the last couple of years and leading tackler for them last year. And what he what When I look at his contract, what he's got left on it, it looks like it's one year at seven and a half million. Yes, you're right, but I think it was a necessary You talk about ilicism.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: He has reminded me athletically of going back to College of De Maarve on overshell, Right, okay, And so I looked up and Kenneth is twenty six.
Speaker 2: He'll turn twenty seven in November. All right.
Speaker 3: Overshown ran a four foul wit let me find him here. He ran a four five five at the combine. Kenneth Murray ran a four five to two overshown at a thirty six and a half vertical. Kenneth Murray a thirty eight vertical overshown, a ten to six broad jump Murray a.
Speaker 2: Ten to nine broad jump.
Speaker 3: So athletically, he's right there with Overshown, but he's got a lot more experience.
Speaker 4: So why was he playing middle linebacker when he came out? He was an outsider.
Speaker 3: He played he played in the middle of ou of course, they only had one linebacker field basically in Riley's defenses.
Speaker 2: But but he was really good.
Speaker 4: Well I saw this stuff about where he was rated and everything. He led the Titans in tactics by the way, ninety five so.
Speaker 3: One and see Overshown is six two twenty so he's twenty pounds.
Speaker 4: Heavier than so that's why he is by the way, and Overshown was not going to be ready for the start of the season. And so I'm sitting there going, if you don't resign Eric Kendricks, you got they.
Speaker 2: Are now that he's Thereic Kendrick replacement, right, and they But when.
Speaker 3: Overshown gets ready and you have Murray and Overshown on the field together, wow, if over Overshow can get back.
Speaker 4: To play, because it was it was Maris lufoul and it takes nothing away from Leofowl.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, he's right there.
Speaker 4: He's going to be a starter.
Speaker 3: And by the way, and back by the way, Jack Sanborn, who was our lead story.
Speaker 4: That's right, bick shots he started buried him.
Speaker 2: He started three games for Chicago last year.
Speaker 4: Well he had started. Where did I see that? I made a note In twenty twenty three for Eberflus, he started ten of seventeen games.
Speaker 6: I heard he's very athletic. He is, no, he is really elusively.
Speaker 4: He's a younger replacement for nick Vic because he will play special teams too. So these are just little things they've done. Everybody wants a splash. But when you gotta be careful, knowing that you're gonna spend money on MICHAEH. Parsons, you know, you gotta kind of patch things together. Another thing on elim which, by the way, you were talking about forties. I think I saw he ran a four three nine coming.
Speaker 2: Out, and that's why you're a first round draft.
Speaker 4: Pick, right A corner that can run.
Speaker 2: So in good size to six', ONE i think got to.
Speaker 4: Hope he can still run.
Speaker 3: Now having said, That i've talked about guys THAT i like In Solomon thomas And Kenneth.
Speaker 2: MURRAY i got no idea on This Peyton turner from The.
Speaker 4: Saints he didn't what.
Speaker 2: Position he's a defensive. End he's six, six two. Seventy.
Speaker 3: Uh he's got the traits that you're looking for with like thirty five inch arms.
Speaker 2: And like dila and but he hasn't.
Speaker 3: Played, hey he's been hurt those two days he came out Of.
Speaker 2: Houston he came out Of, houston and he was hurt a lot In.
Speaker 3: Houston he got drafted in the first round twenty eighth overall by The saints four years ago based on, traits and he hasn't been able to either get on the field or stay on the.
Speaker 4: Field thirty one games he played in four, years no.
Speaker 3: Starts so while we invest a couple of couple of sacks last year because he's got, potential and you're you're not investing. Much it's a one, year three million, dollars two million dollar. Guaranteed it's a slightly above the veteran minimum, basically and so you're taking a chance that maybe it'll.
Speaker 4: Hit state probably looked at your draft notes and, said here's what.
Speaker 3: We, did exactly got and, that and others felt the same. Way that's why he was a first round draft, pick, right and you hope you tap into that.
Speaker 6: Pootential undrafted free. AGENT i am appalled at some of the. Signings, man what are we doing in this? CORNERBACK i, MEAN i Remember romo talking about this, GUY i think doing the. Game he was getting toasted up man as a. Cornerback i'm just, man what are we looking? At here are we looking?
Speaker 5: At?
Speaker 2: Oh Kaye? Elam?
Speaker 3: Yeah, YEAH i mean and in, fact that's what, happened like in the playoffs Against Buffalo Christian, benford who beat him, out gets hurt And mahomes immediately picked On.
Speaker 2: Eli yes he. Did and so that's what you're.
Speaker 3: Doing and that's, why by the, way that's why we spoke of him in the same terms Of tuma. Coming he's got a lot to prove And peyton has a lot to prove.
Speaker 4: Also So elam his dad played, Here, Abram abram ABE.
Speaker 2: I can't believe. Abe elam is old enough to.
Speaker 4: Well came as a rookie in two thousand and, six so that's twenty twenty seasons, ago, Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's.
Speaker 2: True, okay we'll have more on Ab.
Speaker 4: Elam Ed eddie came, back played one year and then came back in twenty, eleven played one more year and in between played other places too as a.
Speaker 2: Safety say, there.
Speaker 3: He's probably listening to you dog his. SON i didn't dog you, guys did know pull the.
Speaker 4: Tape gotta, go you. Interpreted we'll be.
Speaker 3: Back monday at eleven am with More Cayer Elam Go.
Speaker 1: Cowboys this has been a production of dallascowboys Dot com and The Dallas Cowboys Football.
Speaker 4: Club