Speaker 1: Morning shown better know that's the people's choice.
Speaker 2: The Saluto on my life skined brothers out there, it's just hilarious.
Speaker 1: That's what the world I ask. Just don't do you know what?
Speaker 2: And Charlemagne to talk to everybody come to the breakfast club.
Speaker 3: I call this the hot seating backfist stuff.
Speaker 4: It's like being on Americans from foot.
Speaker 5: Don't feel like my this, Suthers, I never cast to me.
Speaker 2: Every time I go to a revers club, I know it's gonna be like the foot man.
Speaker 6: Baby this it's your time to get it off your chest, whether you're mad or blessed.
Speaker 1: I hate the way that you walk, the.
Speaker 7: Way that you talk, I hate the way that you dress.
Speaker 4: Everything.
Speaker 2: When he is best, call up next eight hundred and five eighty five one five one.
Speaker 8: That's just me.
Speaker 4: I'm with the coach of Philling.
Speaker 2: Hey, Nadan, good morning. Get it off your chest. Where you call him from?
Speaker 9: First?
Speaker 5: I'm calling from Dallas, Okay, Dallas?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 5: My book it's called How to Date a Fat Stick A Fat Girl Guide to Dating, and I was so a great guys. Take it up and read it.
Speaker 2: How the data fact chick?
Speaker 10: Yes, a fat girl?
Speaker 4: Is it a heavy read. Is it thick?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 5: How many pages is it?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 4: How many pages?
Speaker 5: Is It's not that it's not that that's thick. It's like one hundred and sixteen pages. But it's one day read. But it's a great.
Speaker 3: Story about my about your what my dating life? Oh you're a big girl, a dull done. She might not be big no more. It might be her past life she's writing about.
Speaker 9: It was hard, it was hot.
Speaker 4: For you today.
Speaker 5: No, it's a shastirical look at my dating life because it's the things that I went through and the lessons that I learned along the way.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'd love to read that I had a I had a homegirl who wrote something like that before it was called dating Wild Fat Wow.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, it's on Amazon. So it's by Nadine Jones with just Me and again How to Date A fact a factoridating.
Speaker 4: Okay, what category is it in food? Home? Jesus? What is it?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 4: What category?
Speaker 1: It's not how it should be, I'm asking.
Speaker 5: I don't know what category is been, but it's a comedy. I think it's terical. So just you know, just type it in your finance.
Speaker 4: What's it called?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 5: How to Date?
Speaker 10: A fact chick.
Speaker 6: So for God takes you out to eat, do you limit the food that you have so you don't look big?
Speaker 4: You gotta read the book.
Speaker 12: You're right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: It came up as a cookbook.
Speaker 2: You know it didn't shut up?
Speaker 3: You know, How to Date a fact Chick Background God to Dating by Nadine Jones.
Speaker 4: All right, I like the couple. I like that. I like that it looks like what do you call that a cosmic cosm?
Speaker 5: What do you call that book?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Whatever that is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that composition composition.
Speaker 2: Well you have a go one.
Speaker 4: They did, Thank you you too, good luck? Hello?
Speaker 13: Who's this?
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 13: Man?
Speaker 5: My name is a super a trucker.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: I'm out of eastern North Carolina.
Speaker 10: Man' truck driver.
Speaker 2: What's up, super truck? How you feeling this morning?
Speaker 13: Man?
Speaker 7: I'm good man.
Speaker 5: I'm out here shifting gid making that black come out to fight?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right?
Speaker 2: What you're transporting?
Speaker 7: I do, flat dad, I'm hauling building materials right now?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we'll be safe for the yo.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 5: I just want to know, man, y'all got love for truckers?
Speaker 1: Man, You damn right, I got love for truckers.
Speaker 12: You know I know YouTube?
Speaker 4: Jess.
Speaker 13: Hey, look, I got a song called truck of Love man, so y'all get his head. Check it out.
Speaker 5: It's on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You still got love for truckle Jesse?
Speaker 4: He blow that home for his brother.
Speaker 2: I got you all right, man, be safe for them?
Speaker 12: Ro Hello, who's this?
Speaker 13: Yeo? What's something to me?
Speaker 12: What's up?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 13: What's up?
Speaker 12: Jess?
Speaker 4: How y'all doing? What's that baby?
Speaker 8: Good? Good?
Speaker 2: What's going on? Get it off your chest?
Speaker 12: Yo?
Speaker 13: I'm mad at my brother James.
Speaker 4: What's your brother do?
Speaker 7: He's yo?
Speaker 13: He set me up.
Speaker 5: I'm sick last night.
Speaker 13: And not feeling well. I'm a home and he lied to his wife telling her that he was hanging out with me all night and he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Oh man, thought of the lie.
Speaker 13: He ain't tell me because I was dead to the world. And his wife's called my wife asking her was he was he with me?
Speaker 1: Oh man?
Speaker 2: What your wife say?
Speaker 12: Yo?
Speaker 13: She blew his fart up, like hell no, you want to see the cameras.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 13: She blew him up and he's calling me up. Told him by yo, you're supposed to help me up.
Speaker 5: I'm like, Yo, you should have told me first, I hate with somebody.
Speaker 1: Make you a part of the lie, but don't tell you about the lie, like.
Speaker 13: Damn dow he man, because he said that I'm the reason why his wife is putting him out. Now he wants to come and stay.
Speaker 5: In my house.
Speaker 6: Hell, you got the reason, and your wife ain't gonn let him stay. Your wife's gonna let no cheating the guys.
Speaker 13: I'm shutting him over to you, Envy, if you're not.
Speaker 2: Sitting over to me, I got a couple of dogs that will make sure he stay out.
Speaker 8: I hear that everything.
Speaker 13: Every when you throw it another mix tape out.
Speaker 8: Man, come on shop playing, you be rapping.
Speaker 4: You're talking about the DJ.
Speaker 12: Jes to be rapid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna get that in a while.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 2: You know it ain't gonna happen. Bro Oh, come on, Envy, they ain't gonna happen. These all these artists a lot different, man.
Speaker 6: But back then, I would say the artists really respected the DJ and really loved the DJ. When next the artist was something and they would be happy to do it, glad to do it.
Speaker 2: But now and I ain't playing a politics game, brother.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I know what you in red cafe.
Speaker 2: Man shout, all right, brother, you have a good one man. All right, brother, get it off your chest.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, phone lines a wide open.
Speaker 2: It's the breakfast Club. Good morning, the breakfast Club. Wake up, wake up.
Speaker 4: You're time to get it off your chest.
Speaker 12: Would be a matter of blacks.
Speaker 4: We want to hear from you on the breath of black.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 1: This is a drena.
Speaker 10: I'm a little nervous, but I really want people to reach out to your friends and family, check on them to make sure that they're okay. It's been almost eight months since I lost my soulmate to suicide, and when he committed suicide, we was on a break but we were still very much in communication with each other. But I knew something was wrong, and my gut told me to go check, but my head said no, don't do it. And had I listened to my guts, I would have known something was wrong and could have been able to help. Also, with women and their children, when you have a man that wants to be in the lives of their it's you shouldn't use the child as a porn to get back because no one has never ever thought he would commit to us side because of what was happening with his children. So I just want people to just be those.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yes, ma'am. Well definitely sending you healing in andgy queen.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, absolutely all right, Mama, blessed that.
Speaker 10: You gotta do the same.
Speaker 4: It's very heavy this morning.
Speaker 1: Character you got some money?
Speaker 4: Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 9: Hello?
Speaker 13: This is blind Tommy?
Speaker 4: What's up? Blind?
Speaker 13: I'm mad because I'm because I'm a blind, broke comedian?
Speaker 4: Are you? So you got to pick one?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: Which one you mad about? Being blind? Being broke, or being a comedian?
Speaker 13: All three?
Speaker 4: Well, you shouldn't learn to see the bright shot.
Speaker 1: People, not just stealing your money.
Speaker 12: I got the better to steal.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 4: I think I think you might be looking at this wrong. Were you born blind?
Speaker 5: Look you don't look at I was blind five years ago.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, so well you're newly blind? Damn?
Speaker 2: How'd you get blind?
Speaker 4: Sir?
Speaker 5: So funk has gotten my system and they attacked my optic nerves.
Speaker 4: Damn? Sorry that bro? Have you have you learned any new skills? Have anything? Has anything?
Speaker 12: Else?
Speaker 5: Scrimpened a little bit, but not that too much?
Speaker 4: Got you got you. How can we help you this morning? Brother? What can we do for you? Whatever? We'll see what we can do, whatever it is.
Speaker 5: But how could a book deal man work for you?
Speaker 4: You want a book deal?
Speaker 3: I'm be honest with you. I'm interested in the story. I can't sit there and act like I wouldn't want to hear more of the story.
Speaker 1: What if he's talking about broil books?
Speaker 3: You want to write this morning and get get my guys information. I'm interested in hearing the story. I want to see if that might might be a story there.
Speaker 4: You never know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hold on, tom, okay, all right, hold on time, get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, The Breakfast Club, Good morning.
Speaker 6: Everybody's DJ n V Jess Hilarious, Charlamagne the guy.
Speaker 2: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: Lorn La Roads are filling in for just this morning, and if you're just joining us, will open up the phone lines.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. Uncle's being unk this morning?
Speaker 4: How am I being uncle? I'm just letting y'all know that the Mega millions is now five dollars, y'all. I can't be the only.
Speaker 3: Person in America that cares about this, you know what I'm saying. I've been playing my numbers for years. I mean since Powerball came to South Carolina, you know, back in the early two thousands, right, I remember when Powerball used.
Speaker 4: To be a dollar, and then Mega Millions came around.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Mega millions was a dollar off it was two dollars, all I knows, been two dollars for years. So I go in the store and I play five Powerball five Mega millions.
Speaker 4: That's usually twenty dollars. Okay, that's usually twenty dollars. That is a fair price to pay for a hope and a dream.
Speaker 3: I went in there the other day and I said, let me get five Powerball five Mega man.
Speaker 4: She said that'll be thirty five dollars. I said thirty five dollars.
Speaker 13: Why?
Speaker 3: I said, I only want ten tickets. She said, Mega million is now five dollars.
Speaker 4: I said, what. I can't even afford to wish Now, I can't even afford the hope.
Speaker 3: They say, you play the Mega millions in the Powerball because hey, you never know.
Speaker 4: I can't even afford to never know.
Speaker 6: Well, let's open up the phone lines eight hundred five eighty five, one oh five one. I don't gamble like that. I don't gambling casinos. I only play the Mega ball or the powerball or whate man.
Speaker 4: If the mega millions in the powerball came. I mean, the Mega ball is what y'all used to do at Diddy parties ao an extra trick, extracurric activity at the Diddy party. A mega ball I don't really like.
Speaker 2: Every once in a while when it gets close to a billion, and I'll play, but I'm not on it like that. What about you, Lauren?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: Never right, let's don't believe in yourselves. Yeah, I believe in myself. I'm the type of person that will look at the Mega million's number or the powerball number and see that it's like one and whatever, hundreds of millions of people winning.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'll be that one person.
Speaker 6: I always feel like it's an older person that I always feel like they living in a place that I've never heard of.
Speaker 12: Well that's what I always said.
Speaker 2: I think that ticket from a gas station, Well.
Speaker 3: Guess what, I always get them from the gas station, and I am becoming as much older person.
Speaker 4: I'll be forty seven. This shit, when am I eligible to win sixty? Hello? Who's this.
Speaker 2: Chyne? What's up to talk to us?
Speaker 8: I played a Mega Millions powerball lotto every single day. The first time I walked in and I saw that Mega Millions was five dollars, I almost dropped to the floor.
Speaker 7: I play every single day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now now that is five dollars.
Speaker 8: You're not gonna play as much, which they're still gonna get their money, but then you're not gonna be able to make as much money because you can't play as many tickets.
Speaker 4: As you used to. Certain you don't happen much hope.
Speaker 7: You can't afford hope anymore.
Speaker 4: Which is crazy. Can't even afford hope?
Speaker 2: Have you ever won, sir?
Speaker 7: I have?
Speaker 8: I've won twenty five hundred, I've won one hundred, I've won thousands I want multiple times.
Speaker 7: But now it's like they're taking away those chances for you.
Speaker 12: To be able to win.
Speaker 7: That's right, And it looks like I can only afford a couple of tickets.
Speaker 4: The most I've ever won is one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: I always win like two dollars four dollars, and I'm grateful for that because you know, it's baby steps that lets me know I'm getting closer.
Speaker 4: Jack one.
Speaker 8: That's totally It's fun to go in there and then to say, okay, I want maybe I play.
Speaker 7: Four dollars, but I get my full dollars back. Now I played ten dollars and it's like I only win four dollars. I lost six dollars. So now you know like I'm struggling now, like you know, I'm in a hole. Before I never felt like I was in a hole. Now I feel like I'm in a hole every time I play.
Speaker 3: And this brother is absolutely right, because I'm only going to spend twenty dollars I'm gonna buy. I'm gonna still buy my my five Powerball, but now I got to reduce my Mega millions the only two tickets, so that's decreasing my chances of winning mega millions.
Speaker 12: Hello, who's this?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 5: How you doing? My name is Staincy Adams like the shoes.
Speaker 2: Stams like the shoe.
Speaker 12: What's up?
Speaker 4: Brother? Talk to us?
Speaker 5: Okay, so listen, everybody who knows me knows that I'm a lottery crackhead, so I can't think go to twenty dollars a cicket. I'm playing. No, I'm like Charla Mane. No no, no, no, no, I'm dead period.
Speaker 13: I am just yo.
Speaker 5: I listened to y'all every morning. I start my day at like four am. I got my own cupcake business, Yo, Charlemagne, I cannot believe I'm on the phone with y'all.
Speaker 7: But Yo, when I heard.
Speaker 5: About the lottery, my crackhead saying oh, I'm sorry, my crackhead, I came out. I'm like, yo, I got a call. I am on the breakfast club.
Speaker 7: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: No, yes, no, so Charlemagne, I actually won a lot actually, like I never win like the Big pop Ball or like the Mega millions. But I played like the pick three to pick four three dollars. Okay, So the most happen one was one thousand.
Speaker 2: And eight okay. And how much you think he's been week?
Speaker 5: Oh no, oh, it's crazy. Like I said, I'm a crackhead.
Speaker 2: How old spend like?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: Probably about I feel like thirty dollars a day, but just the week, I feel like thirty.
Speaker 2: Dollars thirty dollars a day, which is what five days week you spend.
Speaker 4: He's an entrepreneurial. He got his own cupcakes?
Speaker 5: Yeah right, I got my own, so I'll make that money. Yo, I want to bring you off some cupcakes.
Speaker 4: Flight my really inst we need to see what's what's your instagram?
Speaker 5: Okay, got it?
Speaker 13: Okay, got it?
Speaker 5: My instagram is Stacey scac Why Underscore Famous s a m o us Underscore cupcakes.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Stacy Eddie put Stacey on whole.
Speaker 3: Get his information. Let Stacey bring his cupcakes up here. I'm telling you, man, this mega millions things. It's a travesty that's.
Speaker 4: Going on in our communities right now. Five dollars a ticket is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It went from two dollars to five dollars with no wanting at least I wasn't paying no attention.
Speaker 2: Some of y'all need to call that number. It wasn't one eight hundred gambler. If you have a problem, please call this number.
Speaker 6: That man spends seven thousand dollars to eight thousand dollars a year and he only won a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but multiple years.
Speaker 3: What reality is? What if that's his vice? Like you know, like what if you don't spend? What if he don't buy nothing else? What if he don't buy like cars or you know, spend his What if that's what he wants to spend his money on?
Speaker 6: One hundred gamble I think that's number. What's the number one final for US? Eight hundred and five eighty five, one oh five? What if he's just joining us? Unk was so destraught this morning Charlamagne walked in. He didn't know powerball tickets to the price went the powerball. The Mega millions is five dollars, man, not the powerball. Okay, all right, and.
Speaker 1: It's one It is one hundred gamblers operated by the National com I'm.
Speaker 3: Not a gambling I don't gamble. I don't do I don't do the prize picks, the DraftKings, I don't do.
Speaker 4: I don't gamble. I don't gamble at casinos.
Speaker 3: I'm talking telling you my gambling is limited to Mega millions and powerball tickets every day every week.
Speaker 4: That's what star him.
Speaker 6: I don't gamble, I don't go casinos, but I just.
Speaker 4: Gamble on lottery. Will you talking to your kids about the all this? Do you say you're playing your numbers?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 1: You are so country?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with that's wrong? Being country? You eat fab back. No, hell no, no poke poke on more.
Speaker 6: Folk play eight hundred five eight five on five oner. You just drawed like this morning, call us up. It's the breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning, warning.
Speaker 6: Everybody is the j Envy just hilarious. Charlamagne the God, we are the breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, Jordan Klepper, welcome, Thanks for having me. How you feeling I feel real good.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love the way you came in here already. Because I was joking, I was like, you what six four? And then Charla, I was like, really you?
Speaker 2: Then you said Charlomage must be around six to one and say.
Speaker 4: That's live one.
Speaker 14: I said five one, five five one, right, I was being generous my in my head, I was like, I'll make a joke about four six, but I'll give him a little bit more.
Speaker 9: I said five to one.
Speaker 12: What did you say you were?
Speaker 4: Charlamne's I live five six?
Speaker 3: You are no five six, actually five to seven, but I just say five six to make people feel comfortable.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, whatever reason I say five to seven, they argue with me, So I just say five six.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and even though you said five six, I'm arguing with you right now?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 14: Is that include at the brim? If you put the brim away up, you're including the brim.
Speaker 4: Right. But see, that's what I thought with you. I'm like with the hair, you might be six. I was thinking like six one.
Speaker 9: That is fair the hair. The hair gives me an extra couple of inches five six.
Speaker 4: With heels, well, you wear heels, all of you when you actually wear them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm six five?
Speaker 9: Okay, I mean I broke my sessamoid bone.
Speaker 4: Have you heard of it?
Speaker 14: It's I didn't either. It's called it's the knee calf of the toe. Wow, I got I got another. Let me tell you if you want old man stories right now, I broke my sesamie bone by standing on.
Speaker 4: It for two I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 9: It's it's really I broke about my standing. I'm just I'm that old now. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and me see, that's a big deal for you because you are, you know, probably one of the best field journalists.
Speaker 9: Out here, if not the best, the best, one hundred percent the best. I'll take it, I do.
Speaker 3: And you have the new one of fingers fingers, fingers the post, fingers the post maggot the next generation that have to affect you.
Speaker 14: It does, Yeah, no, I I mean literally, if you watch the special right now, you will see I'm only shot from like the halfway up, and if anything gets awry, like I can't move or get away from people broke during the special. You can't do that when you run the Magna crowd. No, no offense to the Maga crowd. But they're also slow movers too, so you know I can. I can usually out maneuver them. I can use my privilege to lord it over them, or I use the four security guards to get between me and them if things get hairy.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed the special.
Speaker 3: It's you talking to the younger I guess generation of Magna because fifteen percent of what.
Speaker 14: Young men, Yeah, young men shifted right this election, and there was a shift. There was a shift right from the entire youth generation. Like women shifted right, but men especially moved into the Maga camp. And so we were We're curious, why, like what was it about that. It doesn't it doesn't feel like the cool thing on a campus to believe in, you know, anti abortion, reproductive rights or you know, essentially it's the anti hippie movement, but there was a movement, so like, let's get there, Let's go to a turn points event, Let's go to a UFC fight, let's like talk to some of these kids.
Speaker 3: I watched it and when I finished, I was like, I still didn't hear a logical reason.
Speaker 4: It just felt like vibes.
Speaker 14: I think, yeah, I think it still is vibes. The large question was like, is there an ideology behind this shift? And I think the answer is no. I don't think you have a lot of kids who have conservative ideals, So there's some religion comes in or whatever those ideals are, but I think mostly they see people finding success on TikTok and the social media space being conservative and that gives them an identity. They see it as a little bit punk, that gives it an identity. So I think like they're moving towards vibes, which I think for the left they can get those vibes back, but they're just not engaging with that generation.
Speaker 6: Jordan and I would have to ask why why did you want to waste your time and talk to Maga younger young.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's a good exercise. I think more people should do that.
Speaker 6: The reason I say that is because you're not going to get the answers you'd like, probably and you're probably gonna get threatened a lot.
Speaker 14: Sure, Yes, I mean the first a health insurance. My job is to be able to talk to other people. And if I don't do my job, I don't have health insurance and I have week bothes. So we've established that for this six foot nine frame, I need that health insurance.
Speaker 9: But I think what I like about it. I mean, I'm lucky I get to go out there.
Speaker 14: I'm not a journalist, I'm a comedian, so I get to push, I get to ask follow ups. I get to cavort and try to find something that reveals. Right, Like, my job out there isn't to convince people of one way or the other. I think my job is to find something that is revealing. Like for this special, we talk to a kid. And I always find it fascinating to go to a campus and just see, like what actually is happening. CNN will tell you one thing, but until you go to Texas A and M and talk to a kid, do you actually understand what it is? Like we talked to a kid about like why he was obsessed with Charlie Kirk. Why he was he was going to a Charlie Kirk event. What is it about this this guy? And he literally articulated, like I have a hard time with my words. I like to listen to what he says. I like to memorize it, and then I have his words and his idea is and it's like it's comedic in the special, but I think above that, it's it's just revealing, Like when you're like, why do these people, why are they drawn to this?
Speaker 9: It's like that kid set it right there.
Speaker 14: He didn't even know that he's being somewhat comical that you're just memorizing ideas so you can regurgitate it.
Speaker 9: But it's very human.
Speaker 14: He was like, he feels lost without that. So for me, it's always always compelling to go where the story is and to talk to folks about it.
Speaker 6: I was gonna ask that not a threatening part? Yeah, how many times have you've been threatened? Whether it's calls, people in person, emails, texts.
Speaker 14: I mean that happens a lot, the emails, the calls. There's been threats on family members, which would ain't is not super fun. I think out in the field, ten years ago. I'm not going out there.
Speaker 9: With security guards.
Speaker 14: You know, you can go out there as a comedian talk about politics and not be afraid of getting punched. But Trump era comes in, people get more upset. Upset Trump says like, you're you're a patriot, fight back. These are the enemy of the people. And it was during his first first run for president that like, we went to a school board meeting and are having a conversation and I get bum rushed by somebody who's just mad that we.
Speaker 9: Have a camera there.
Speaker 14: And since then we keep adding security guards. I was there on January sixth and that got Harry. We got a security guard. They got pushed, there's flash bangs going off. They're like, we can't stand here. We need to get on a train. Like it's sort of the new reality. And most people I talked to are great. They want to talk, they are they want to be on TV, they want to engage. But you have it now where people have been weaponized by the most powerful men on the planet and who says like you can do something, you should fight back. These are the bad guys, and all it takes is a couple of bad ideas for those guys to to feel themselves and go after you.
Speaker 2: What's the crazy experience you that that you've had so far?
Speaker 14: I mean, Jay six was pretty wild. I was up there for Jay six. I was working on J six, all right, Charla Mane.
Speaker 4: I was working there. I was out there. I was out there.
Speaker 11: You know what.
Speaker 14: The funniest moment on Jay six outside of the hole trying to overthrow the government and you know, crapping on Nancy Pelosi's desk. Outside of that, I'm literally interviewing people. And we've been there before, and we knew sort of like, we don't want to get trapped on the onslaught, so let's stay outside of where everybody is. Quite frankly, really, where's the one place nobody is congregating? And it was outside of the African American History Museum. Nobody was going there. So we were like, we will meet up here and then we'll go and find people to interview.
Speaker 9: We start walking. We find this guy swinging a pitchfork and I go up to the man. I start talking to this man.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's the guy.
Speaker 9: That's the guy. I mean, we got to make TV here, you know. And that guy's got a pitchfork. He's he's throwing it around.
Speaker 4: Wait, and nobody was outside the African Americans. You know where are we gonna go?
Speaker 9: Yeah, African American Museum. Do you want to engage with American sins of the past?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 9: No, let's take a crap on the desk of the Capitol.
Speaker 4: What do you say?
Speaker 14: So we're talking to this guy swinging a pitchfork and he's ran to about revolution and another man comes up. He sees the camera and he just starts he's just swearing, He's just obscenity man, and he's yelling so loud that pitchfork man stops the interview. He shushes him, and then he says, this man doesn't speak for me, which then leaves me grateful to the more level headed man swinging up his fork and he makes eye contact with me and he rolls his eyes as if to say, like, can you believe this happen?
Speaker 11: Guy?
Speaker 9: And it's like, oh, yeah, that's it. Like even this guy is like these guys are too crazy for me. Can we just have a conversation?
Speaker 14: And you're like, right, we can actually find a little bit of common ground if there is that crazier person there.
Speaker 3: And we got my man Jordan Klepper from The Daily Show. Here, yo, refresh my memory. I don't what the hell was happening on January sixth, before the insurrection.
Speaker 4: What was everybody there for?
Speaker 9: Well, they were there to certify the vote.
Speaker 14: But Trump then preempts it by having a huge rally at eleven o'clock, and so everybody comes out. Rudy Giuliani's there, and so everybody comes to watch the giant Trump speech, but everybody leaves halfway through, not everybody. Half the folks leave halfway through to god start moving towards the Capitol, which then we saw, we saw the Proud Boys march on the Capitol. I mean, it was a it was a wild day. It was not a surprise though, as a cable comedy show, like, we knew to be at the Capitol. We were right there when they pushed in, because we're like, this is where everybody's going. This is where they said they're going. There's going to be something to happen here. We didn't expect them to get inside, but we knew they'd be there for the sake of content, for the sake of clicks. Did you think to yourself, Hey, we should go in with them luckily, like my inherent fear got in the way there. I think it was it was confusing, that's what the rules were. I think even at the at the time there was a small fence that got pushed in. And even as you're seeing this and you're watching this, and it's again it's it's half tragic, like this is the Capitol, this is the seat of American governance, and I see all these people acting like generals going in there, and it's also completely absurd. I saw I interviewed literally an old man on a segway trying to go up the hill while it's happening. But I'm assuming they can't get in right. You're like, they're going to get stopped at some point point there, but the people just kept coming and literally our security guards at one point were just like, we're hearing explosions.
Speaker 9: This is an uncontrolled situation. It's time to get know.
Speaker 3: People that the Daily Show and you said it a little while ago. Everybody in the Daily Show always says something that I totally disagree with. Y'all say that you're not journalists. Y'all all comedian when reality is y'all probably some of the best journalists out because you do things like go and talk to the other side when other folks really don't ran. So when do you have an interview people that these ra Well, first of all, you think it's fair for y'all to be able to say y'all not journalists.
Speaker 9: It's definitely a dodge. So yeah, thanks for calling it out, you know.
Speaker 14: I mean, I think I say that in that the stories we get on the Daily Show are stories that are brought to us by journalists putting in the work, and so that I respect and they work by the code of journalism.
Speaker 4: I think what we have we take it very seriously.
Speaker 14: I don't see myself as a journalist, but I take going out and bringing.
Speaker 9: Back what we see to the show very seriously.
Speaker 14: But I do want an audience to understand the bias that we have towards comedy and that we're making a show with that point of view. But I think all news has a bias, and I do think like in modern journalism, I don't think it should be a bunch of comedians going out there bringing the stories back. Far from it, But I do think they could probably loosen up some of the rules in the ways in which they engage with people, because sometimes you see people engaging with the old school rules of journalism, not pushing people past their conspiracies or their BS, or they're they're weighing both sides where you're like, no, that that's BS.
Speaker 9: You need to call that out.
Speaker 14: You need to use some other way to knock that person off their talking points so they can reveal something truthful there. And I think as comedians we have that ability, and at its best it works that way, but we're working in conjunction with journalists who are actually bringing the story back so that we can have some commentary on comedy.
Speaker 4: Is disarming, it is that's the thing that a lot of the journalists don't.
Speaker 9: Have one percent.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And at its best, it cuts to the quick faster than trying to argue with somebody else.
Speaker 3: You know, when you do something like The Maggot and Next Generation, do you have a lead to rally thinking damn, maybe I'm the one who.
Speaker 14: Doesn't get it, you know, I mean, I think I always leave it with a little bit more empathy towards the folks that I'm talking with, because for every you know, every five minutes on camera, there's two minutes off camera where you're talking about something that's not political, and you connect with them and they're interesting, they're compelling. You find music that you both care about or something, and I think like that that softens what you think about the people and the interactions that you have with those people. I think I usually feel pretty steadfast in my opinions. That being said, I do think, like no, nobody has the certainty that they pretend to have on camera at these rallies. Like no, there's a lot of complexity to many many issues, but nobody has the guts or the vulnerability to be open about it, usually in front of the camera.
Speaker 2: Now, you said you want to bring peace in harmony?
Speaker 9: God did I say that?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 7: Is that true?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 9: Boy? What did I say? I want to bring peace in harmony?
Speaker 6: He said, you want to bring peace in harmony? But how was that when every time a maga meamber comes you give them a little joke, just a little.
Speaker 12: Bit, you know what.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I try to deliver peace through the lovely delivery mechanism of.
Speaker 4: A joke.
Speaker 14: I you know, I'd there to be some peace and harmony, But it is a constant balance of you know, I want to empathize, I don't want to just be mean out there when I talk to other people. But also it's I think life is pretty serious right now, and I think when I go to some of these MAGA events, you see Donald Trump playing to the masses in a way that emboldens him to do pretty cruel.
Speaker 9: Things, and so I don't mind pushing back hard in that direction.
Speaker 14: But I often think the people I talk to I have sympathy for because I think they're being weaponized by other people who are trying to manipulate them.
Speaker 9: So that's that's where my empathy tends a lie.
Speaker 3: Do you have a struggle with where Satie ends and responsibility begins?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think like that activist conversation is a tough one. I don't don't I don't love the hat.
Speaker 14: I do think like John is somebody who always says, like, you know, this is not activist, we're comedians, And I think like, in some ways that is that is a safety net, but you also sort of need that to like not approach work every day to think of like what am I trying to change in the world.
Speaker 9: Like I understand where that comes from.
Speaker 14: But it's like the job of the show is to find comedy to follow, like your passions, the things you care about, where you seebs call it out, but also like find a way to make it funny and interesting and reformat it. I think that is the job you get in tough territory when you're like, I need to I need to be an activist in that moment.
Speaker 9: I don't think that is the place.
Speaker 14: But I think you have to be honest with your desire to be a part of that conversation, but also be honest with what your skill set is and what your platform is.
Speaker 12: Have you ever spoke with.
Speaker 6: Somebody where you actually change their mind by the things that you said and he understood what you were saying.
Speaker 14: No, okay, I do tell a story, though it doesn't happen in front of the camera. People don't change their minds in front of the camera, but off camera gets close. I was heckled at a rally by a man who was dressed in a bricksuit, a suit that looked like Trump's Wall of bespoke suit in a hand of our mustache. He's known as a bricksuit guy. Trump brings him up on stage at lots of his rallies. He's famous there. He trold me at a rally he live streamed during our interviews to try to get people not to talk to us.
Speaker 9: He was paying the ass.
Speaker 14: We get snowed in and all of us have to fly out the next day after this rally on different flights, and I show up at the Green Bay Airport, very tiny airport alone. There's a three and a half hour delay, and bricksuit guy is there, and he's not in the brick suit. He's wearing a Maga hat. He's got two extra hats on his case, but no bricksuit civilian clothes. And he's like, do you want to talk? And of course I don't want to talk. But we're there at an airport for three and a half hours, and we get into it, and I don't change his mind. He doesn't change my mind. But he is remarkably open about the things he's unsure about with Donald Trump. He's unsure he wishes Donald Trump didn't go on and on about the twenty twenty election being stolen, which is a huge thing to show any kind of weakness, Like I don't believe Trump was honest about that. In the Maga movement, you can't say that in front the camera. He says that to me off camera. He talks about like where he comes from and frankly he comes He's like a libertarian guy who likes to troll people online. You'd like to think that the handlebar mussage guy who dresses and bespoke brick suits is an idiot, not an idiot. Smart guy feels like a history buff, like the kind of person who has too many like World War two books, but a smart guy has his own topics.
Speaker 9: Like we literally we laugh.
Speaker 14: Somebody recognizes me as we're talking and asks for a selfie and he takes the photo, which is like this, he's open to all.
Speaker 4: Of this stuff.
Speaker 14: We talk all the way up until I get on the plane and I'm in an exit row and the woman who takes the ticket asks if I'm willing to accept the responsibilities being an exit row. I say yes, and then I turned to him and I was like, I hope this freaks you out, man, and he laughs, and I'm like, that's it right there, Like you're not intimidated by me. I'm not so offended that I made a joke.
Speaker 4: You laugh.
Speaker 14: It's humor, it's disarming, and it's for most of the people who I'm friends with. Even who I disagree with, you find things you can laugh at. And that happens all off camera. And I'm not entering that conversation to try to change his mind. That's not gonna happen. But I'm entering it with like an amount of uncertainty of like, here's the thing that I'm unsure about what the Left says, or or here's things that I think are okay about what Trump does, and he's like, here's things that I doubt about what Trump does.
Speaker 9: Like, oh, there's there's the human behind that, even.
Speaker 14: In the caricature of a guy from the Daily Show mixed with the caricature of a person from the Trump universe, Like they can talk, they can meet somewhere of an understanding, and usually it's it's freaking away from those cameras in a Green Bay airport.
Speaker 3: It is Memorial Day, so we're not here saluted all our veterans out there, But we do have some new conversations for you that you haven't heard yet. My man Jordan Klepper, he's got a new special out, Jordan Klepper fingers the Post Maga, and we're gonna talk to him all about it right here on the breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: I remember they had.
Speaker 3: When you had your late night show, didn't they have you playing a character of a like a conservative right wing.
Speaker 14: I was playing like an Alex Jones style right wing character. And so that that was And at that time too, it was like Info Wars was so huge and big and the conspiracy mindset, which thankfully is gone completely away, we don't see it anymore. But that that was me playing a caricature to find humor in in going over the top, quite frankly, as comedy has evolved and the politics situation has evolved so much over the last ten years, Like, I think that's still a space to play in. There's still humor to be found, but I think audiences are like so tired of extreme caricatures. You have one in the White House that like, I think they're connecting more with comedians on a more authentic level. And so that's sort of in some ways where the finger the pull stuff has come out of. Trevor was big on that. He was just like, go out there, you're not playing a parody of a journalist. You're yourself, bringing your wits about you and your opinions. Find humor in that, but don't lean on the character.
Speaker 3: Also, people are dumb, but they don't believe you. Sure, I didn't know you were playing the character, you know what?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Had we had at the opposition, We had Carter Page, who was a foreign advisor to Donald Trump, and it was the center of the news cycle at one point because people were wondering he was if he was a Russian asset because Russia had manipulated him in the past. He was working for the Trump administration, and he reached out to our show and took a meeting at our show because he wanted to work on our show as someone He didn't see it as a satire. He saw it as an opportunity, which which was hard for us to swallow.
Speaker 3: Where do you think satire fits into today's media landscape?
Speaker 4: But people numb to it are addicted? Are they still reachable to the understanding thing?
Speaker 14: I mean, I think what has shifted so much is like the formatting of it all right. I think like satire is all about context, and that's hard if you're taking in seven second chunks on like TikTok. I think it's easier if you have a thirty minute chunk, If you have an eight minute rant. I think people are drawn to comedy.
Speaker 9: In many ways. It is like the language of I mean, it's a language of humor, but I think like it's the quickest way to get to to a truth. So I do think. I think satire is in a boom.
Speaker 14: I think people are drawn, but I think but that being said, the social media landscape has shifted the ways in which we consume all this stuff, and that has kind of like it is made for long form capabilities, long podcasts, and I think that has shipped a word comedy lies and short form as well.
Speaker 9: Which is more about those soundbites.
Speaker 6: Now, speaking of the future of MAGA, what do you think the future of MAGA is gonna look like, especially in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 14: Oh boy, I think that I think Trump is such a singular character that they think it can be passed on and that we have seen no proof of that yet. Donald Trump has been famous his whole life. I mean, you know, he's reference to rap songs when I was coming up in a way that was like he is equated with wealth, and I think that is nobody else has that, and so I think they're going to try to pass it off. Maybe that's to trade events maybe it's to somebody who's even farther right, But right now it's still a cult of personality that he's going to try to build around him. We'll see if that baton goes anywhere else.
Speaker 3: It's interesting when people say that, though, because to me, it's not even about the individual of Donald Trump. There's clearly a whole system that is perfectly okay with him doing everything that he's doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that is what scares me.
Speaker 3: It's the system, Yeah, that is allowing him to exist because they will allow somebody else to exist in that same way.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they've attached the system, and there's people behind it who have gotten good at understanding how to use Donald Trump. I think this Project twenty twenty five the world of Steve Bannon's like, like, Okay, he's going to come in here. He's a singular character in his ability to charm half a nation, forty percent of a nation. I think that is hard to pass off. But I think you have a conservative movement who has sort of lost any desire to make a moral argument and just found a way in which to attach attach their wants to somebody.
Speaker 9: Who will just bulldoze all the way through.
Speaker 14: Who is about I mean, the Trump doctrine is he likes to make deals and he wants whatever is good for him. Yes, and if they can attach conservative things onto the things that are deals and good for him, that make him look successful and popular, then they will ride that.
Speaker 9: And he has no problem riding that.
Speaker 3: What's the moment? I like a couple more questions, what's a moment that actually made you emotional?
Speaker 4: Why doing one? Are you man? On the screen segment?
Speaker 14: I mean, it's not to get dark about it all, but like we covered news day in and day out, and when I was hosting the show specifically like mass shootings, like you're like, oh, how do you find humor in it?
Speaker 9: We find humor.
Speaker 14: But like when you are when it's your responsibility, late Night has shifted into a place where people come to it to feel like a connection to what has happened during the days. And we have such a mass shooting epidemic in this country, and especially when I was hosting a show where like what happened today, Well, the big news is there was another terrible shooting in a school and we had people come on and I've covered like the gun movement with specials and in the past as well, And I've talked to parents and I've talked to students who are affected by all of this, and it's such it's such emblematic of what is which is what is wrong with our country, Like most people just want safe, basic guidelines to try to stop us, and there's such inaction on a federal level that it's constantly infuriating. And so as that keeps happening and continues to happen, like it's it's it's it's so heartbreaking. Also as someone who has a kid who's in school right now, it's so scary to think of that happening to parents. And beyond that, it's so infuriating because it's like the system is broken when you have people who scream out from the rafters. Eighty percent of people are like, we just need basic stuff to try to help kids in schools, and yet you have like a system of government that can't respond to that like that.
Speaker 9: Always, it always pisses me off.
Speaker 3: What's your dream field piece that you haven't gotten to do yet, Barbados, Send me to a nice place, a nice place on a beach.
Speaker 14: I'm in Pennsylvania all the time, and Trump rallies in the heat, fighting with people about whether JFK Junior is still alive, and so like, send me to someplace beautiful, give me a puff piece.
Speaker 4: So how do you decompress after a day of absorbing conspiracy theory? The ninety degree heats.
Speaker 14: You know what it's it's it's booze. Booze helps real quick. It's booze the NBA and being a dad, I think that helps out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, them how they can see this special.
Speaker 14: They can check it out a Paramount Plus or YouTube. It's up on both those places right now.
Speaker 6: That's right, Fingers the Pulse Maga the next Generation on The Daily's YouTube. Jordan Klepper Late Shows YouTube, Thank you so much for joining us, Thanks for having us us.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club is Jordan Clepper.
Speaker 4: Got to say something you may not agree with doesn't mean I'm doing Who's getting that donky?
Speaker 2: That donkey that don't don't don't don't don't.
Speaker 4: Dunk the other day right there, the Breakfast Club pitcher.
Speaker 12: You can call me the donkey of the day, but I mean no harm.
Speaker 3: Don't Here today goes to a Baltimore man by the name of Kevin Gross. Kevin is forty six years old, just like I am, but I clearly make better choices than Kevin. You know how sometimes people say, oh, you think you better than me? The answer is yes, yes, I do, because I make better choices. Not judging you for anything you got going on, But you asked me a question, Oh you think you better than me? Yes, hell yes, because I understand the strongest principle of growth lies in human choice, and I make better choices than you. And if you are currently enjoying this thing called freedom, well, oh, you make better choices than Kevin as well, because he's in jail, currently facing charges for allegedly shooting a twenty eight year old coal worker on the side of I ninety five this past Monday morning. I know some of y'all right now are either at or on the way to jobs where you think you can't stand your coworker. You believe you hate this co worker with all your heart, and you just might, okay, just be better than Kevin.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: And the way you continue to be better than Kevin is simply by making the choice not to shoot your co worker. Let's go to WBALTV for the report police.
Speaker 15: Bond denied for forty six year old Kevin Gross he's facing charges for allegedly shooting a twenty eight year old coworker on the side of I ninety five early Monday morning. According to charging documents, the victim called nine to one one. When state police arrived, they found him walking along the shoulder of ninety five with seven gunshot wounds to the arm and torso. Court documents show he told police he was on his way into work and got a flat tire, so we pulled off on the shoulder of ninety five, just north of the Howard County line. When he got out to inspect the tire, his coworker, Kevin Gross, pulled up behind him and got out, wearing a mask covering his mouth.
Speaker 9: Quote.
Speaker 15: Gross told him he must have hit a pothole or something, but upon inspecting the tire, the victim could see the tire had been slashed. Gross then produced a firearm and began firing numerous shots.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 15: Charging documents reveal the two were assistant managers that planted aid in Elkridge. Gross had recently been demoted, and the victim told police Gross thought he had something to do with that demotion.
Speaker 3: Kevin, you got the right last name, because this was Gross. What a diabolical plan. The victim was on his way to work and got a flash tire. He thought he hit a pothole, but his tires had been slashed. Oh, I wondered who slashed him? And then when he got out to inspect the tire, Kevin pulled up behind him with a mask and shot him several times, all because he thought his coworker got him demoted. Both of them were assistant managers at Planet AID. Now y'all know what Planet eight is, right?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Not data organizations that collect the clothing donations. They got the yellow bins all over the place you can put the clothes and shoes in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they accept clothing donations in seventeen hundred locations. Okay, in the Elkridge warehouse.
Speaker 4: You know where Elkridge is, right, yep?
Speaker 3: They collect fifteen point five million pounds of used clothes and shoes annually. Well, clearly Kevin wasn't there for the car. So I needed to know what are the perks of being an assistant manager at Planet AID? So I asked chat GPT how much does an assistant manager at Planet AID make? I don't know if this is one hundred percent correct, but it says the average salary for a manager at Planet Aid might earn between fifty thousand and sixty thousand annually. Now I need y'all to always keep in mind that my education is limited to a high school degree from night school. Okay, dropping the clues bump for Berkeley High School right than most content South Carolina. But if it's one thing I understand is prison math. And by prison math, I mean when you have to calculate in your mind whether or not the choice you make is going to be worth you going to prison. Okay, now let's do the prison math.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 3: I'm making fifty sixty grand a year in Baltimore, has a forty six year od oh man.
Speaker 4: I don't know about y'all, but if I can.
Speaker 3: Afford to put some food on my table and have a roof over my head, I'm gonna be happy.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Success is subjective, and if you're a freeman forty six years old, you can come and go as you please.
Speaker 4: You got a job you maintaining. That's a good life.
Speaker 3: If you don't think it's a good life, go to a prison right now and talk to these brothers doing fifteen, doing twenty, doing twenty five, some of them doing forever, and ask them when they trade lives with the freeman making fifty to sixty grand as an assistant manager at Planet eight. Hell, even if he got demoted, okay, even if he got demoted. The warehouse lead role at Planet aid earns about twenty seven thirty nine per hour. According to chat GPT, that's almost fifty seven grand a year if you work in forty hours a week. All I'm saying is, no matter how much I calculate this prison math, Okay, I've done addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.
Speaker 4: I tried to.
Speaker 3: Figure this out multiple ways, and guess what, it just don't compute. Okay, it just nothing that up. The victim is in critical condition. He got seven times, got seven times. Kevin Gross is charged with attempted first degree murder in Maryland. That's life in prison, first and second degree assault. Kevin Gross is also charged with first degree of sold It's twenty five years in Maryland, second degree of sold it's ten years in Maryland.
Speaker 4: And he got other related charges.
Speaker 3: Moral of the story is Kevin is spending the rest of his natural born life in prison.
Speaker 4: Therefore the prison math ain't adding up. It's just not worth it. You have to calculate it in your head. You got demoted. You don't even know if this person you shot had anything to.
Speaker 3: Do with it, but even if they did, as soon as you started formulating this plan in your head, just think about it. I'm gonna cut his tires, I'm gonna shoot him a bunch of times. At some point your brain has to say no, no, no, no no, This prison math ain't mathing. This is not a situation that's worth having to eat jail food for the rest of your life or having an inmate treat your bunkie like a bowl of cereal. So please let remy ma give Kevin Gross the biggest he hulled.
Speaker 4: You stupid mother? Are you dumb? You got demoted? Take the l How do you get demoted from?
Speaker 1: Like a Salvation Army?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 9: A good will place?
Speaker 2: And what could you do wrong?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 3: But he didn't even ask no questions. He just assumed it was this other this other person and shot him seven times. Now he's gonna spend the rest of his.
Speaker 4: Life in prison for that.
Speaker 2: They don't need to play and you.
Speaker 4: Also, I mean, we can if you want.
Speaker 9: To what you want to play a game.
Speaker 4: He's from Baltimore.
Speaker 6: White people in Baltimore, yore in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: No, but something that patty like.
Speaker 4: That, like like you got a point, got a point clothing store.
Speaker 1: Then it's not even like a in a like a regular clothing store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like nah, always do prison math though, whenever you're about to make a choice that you think we're gonna get you in some type of trouble, especially if it's involving any type of crime, just just calculated in your head. Is this worth the time you're gonna get for such situation?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you for that donkey. Today morning, everybody at j n V. Jess Hilarious, Charlamagne and the God. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, then welcome.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: How you doing you?
Speaker 11: I'm doing great. I'm having an amazing time in New York. Just sold out the SLBs the other night and so now I'm in the best of the Breakfast So this is a big deal for you guys. You just lost the tour right, Yes, that's on tour currently. I'm doing ten states and were sold out everywhere. That's the congratulations, super plessed, thank you, thank you. And the album is called I'm Sae. I'm pronouncing this right, A Losa, Yes, I Losa is my name has known in my village, so a Lusa.
Speaker 12: Why are you topless?
Speaker 1: So you're gonna have no shirt on most of the time?
Speaker 12: Yeah, showing usually, but I had to. Yes, I'm sure you know I'm back. Yeah.
Speaker 11: But being topless is freedom. Being topless is audacity. And in this place of my career and where I'm at right now, I need that audacity to.
Speaker 4: Be with me every day? Is that really audacity to be topless? If you are around with no pants on?
Speaker 11: You know, when you get home, Like if you're a girl, when you get home, the first thing you do is you and hook your bra. Yeah, and that's part of the freedom I'm talking about being topless. What do you identify a black mind?
Speaker 12: An analogy?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, you know, but.
Speaker 3: That's a different because when I get it, when women get home and they take that bro off, the what about.
Speaker 12: You like when you get home and.
Speaker 4: Your mind.
Speaker 11: If you're in a sunny place and a humid place and you take off your shirt, it's freedom, man.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and basketball shows no draws so much.
Speaker 12: You pushing this draws agenda, not an agenda the name. Yes, shut out my neighbors. U ganda for that, my next neighbor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, now you did rap I was gonna say you did rap raidar the other day. Yes, I did, and you came with something different that I don't think any rap raid guest has ever done.
Speaker 2: Yes, you came with a chicken.
Speaker 12: Yeah, came the chicken.
Speaker 11: I would have come with the chicken here, but there's too many rules and you guys are really on the top floor, so I wasn't able to smuggle my mascot into the building.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, a chicken is my cultural total. Like the animal that represents my culture is a rooster. And it's because a rooster is a timekeeper, rusa is a care givers, is a security for your homessa, is many things, including a good meal.
Speaker 12: So that's why I woke around with That's why I woke around with where did you.
Speaker 11: Get this chicken from? Where did you get the chicken from? I know, I didn't know the animal laws in New York. I had to drive all the way to Pennsylvania. Like the queens, they wouldn't sell it to me in Queens. Nobody would give me a live chicken in New York because it's against the law. So I had to go all the way to Pennsylvania, cross state lines to look for the chicken.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what I think is about the wording, because you know in America, I don't know, you don't If you'll say so, you have to say, I want to bring my.
Speaker 12: Yah and my and I was stroking my leg.
Speaker 11: You say you.
Speaker 12: Give the chicken, I give, I give, I give my to my driver and he took it to an animal like home, animal shelter, so he's alive.
Speaker 1: This is a freedom album basically, Yeah, this is a looser.
Speaker 11: Previously, in my other life, I was in a band. I was in a boy band and the band was called Sauti Soul. My Sauti So and so he voices of the Sun.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 11: So I was in a boy band. And this is my second lease of life. So now I'm a solo artist. I've been a solo artist for two years now and everything's looking up. I'm at the breakfast club.
Speaker 12: Mama, I made it nice.
Speaker 1: Why the Saudis Soul takes such a long hiatus? For music your last the.
Speaker 4: Last twenty years.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we're like new additions from Kenya. Yeah, boys to me.
Speaker 11: We met in high school, so we've been together twenty years, twenty beautiful years, the best years of my life.
Speaker 4: What made you just want to go solo on now?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Just trying something new, you know, after doing something for a long time. I think it was time for us to try and see what the other side looks like. And it's been beautiful so far. I think we needed this break so that our next season will be just as glorious, even better.
Speaker 1: And what is the other Saudi Soulos done?
Speaker 12: They're making music, they're doing interesting things.
Speaker 11: My brother Pulicup just launched his guitar Jaire, which is an amazing guitar.
Speaker 12: Chimano is on tour, Savara is putting out music as well.
Speaker 11: So we're all busy and we're all working together, like we're all writing for one another. We're all producing for one another, friends or great friends.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why do you think East African music hasn't seen a surge? And I guess mainstream the way artists from the Western Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, there's many aspects to it, including the fact that it's just never been funded. Any music that you hear in the West is marketing dollars spend to get that music there. So for a long time, its tablica hasn't had that limelight. Also, our numbers in the diaspora don't come anywhere close to Nigeria. So the dominant culture in the dasport is going to be Nigeria. But the next logical sound to listen to after you've gone northeast, west and the northwest and south is east and so here we are, you know, we're taking the stairs or we're getting here anywhere, No is it.
Speaker 6: I've noticed with international artists they always want to win in the US. Why is that so important?
Speaker 11: Because when you win in the US, the reward is too high. Being the biggest artist in Kenya is now we're close being the biggest artist in the US. When you win in the US, you winning the world. So for a long time this market has dominated the world like that. Also, you guys have the structures, you have the venues, the ticketmasters and all these you know, all of these infrastructure mixed music what it is in the world. Yeah, so you're thought leaders, your global leaders.
Speaker 4: Why not remember when your love for music first hit you.
Speaker 12: Yes, I was like maybe five or six.
Speaker 11: I was watching with Maley song Ion Lion Zion, and that's the first time I was like, wow, what is this? Like, I feel like doing this thing. And I've been doing it since I'm thirty seven now, guys, I've been singing thirty.
Speaker 4: One years yeah, wow, so six years old.
Speaker 12: Since I was six.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I joined the choir in church and I always say the church is the best artist development program in the world because that's where all the great musicians, especially for black music come from.
Speaker 4: How was it in Kenya?
Speaker 3: Because you know, you know, you hear stories people from Nayer their parents like, no, you're not going to go into music. You're not going to entertainment. You're gonna be a doctor. You know, Like like in Kenyu, when you said you want to do music, how was it?
Speaker 11: My mum said, as long as you finished school, as long as you finish college, you can do whatever you want. And music has been a kind master to me. Music paid me through college. Like I put it my first thing, go with Southeast Oil, my band when I was a freshman, and just like that, my life changed. I had to finish school, but I started to be a journalist, so I'd probably be working here.
Speaker 2: I did communications, And did you know that moment where you knew you were going to make it.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, this is this is what I was here to do.
Speaker 11: I told also my cousin when I was six, that I'm going to be a superstar, and she laughed it off. But I remind her to this day that this is written like I always knew that this is what I'm.
Speaker 12: Going to do.
Speaker 11: Yeah, even though sometimes life pushed me in directions where I wasn't in my direct journey, Like for example, like when I studied communications, it wasn't me studying music. But it came back now to make sense, you know, like my auditory skills are different. I understand how to interview, how to There's just things I learned in UNI that are very vital for me right now.
Speaker 3: And back then you was just like I think I'm training to be on the other side of the microphone. But then you're artist, You've got it.
Speaker 11: I watually if you're finishing school to clock out something in life, say that I have a degree, but I wasn't very passionate about it.
Speaker 12: What communications Okay, communicated that communicated journy.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to be clear.
Speaker 3: It is Memorial Day, so we're not here, but we do have some conversations that you haven't heard. You know, we all are fans of Afro beats and you know all of the sounds that are coming out of the continent right now. So I want to introduce you to somebody you may or you may not know. His name is bing Okay Been is an artist from Kenya, an Afro pop musician, and we're going to talk to him because he's currently on tour here in the States and we're going to talk to him right now.
Speaker 4: I saw something where it was saying you the Grammys was donating some money to Kenya.
Speaker 12: That was physical.
Speaker 11: So the Grammys are doing an Africa Grammys, you know, like some week the Latin Grammys. So there's been talk about Africa doing a Grammys, and Kenya had put in a bid to be the host for the Grammy three point eight million something like that, and the bid the whole I think the news came out at a very bad time because at that time economically and even now, we're not doing so well as a country. So at people in eight million dollars spent on the Grammys feels like an impulse spent people. Yeah, it's like the grammar bring in will be quadruple at I'm sure you know a lot not a lot of people have the insights of the music business to understand the value of the Grammy is coming to Kenya like that, you know. But so the people were just up in arms because they felt like there's many more ways to spend the three point five million dollars.
Speaker 4: Why did you agree with it?
Speaker 11: Because I'm an artist and understand what it's going to do for my constituency, for my people, Like this is future future, you know, investments for the artists who are coming. You know, they're going to thank us one day for hosting the Grammars in Kenya. So I think it's not a bad thing. Maybe the communication behind it should have been better. Maybe they should have been told about the financial.
Speaker 1: Degree in communications.
Speaker 11: Yes, I agree, I agree, Yes, I agree, I agree. Maybe just the communication only should have been better. Yeah, they should have said what NBA said about the profit and what we stand to gain as a country and this and this and this, and many people would have been like, okay, we see it.
Speaker 6: I mean the visitation. Yeah, hotels restaurants, foods, tourism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's just so much that.
Speaker 11: You get the development programs for the different facets of the music industry that the Grammy comes with as well, right, Yeah, you know, the Grammy is like a good artist development program as well, second to charge.
Speaker 12: So yeah, it would be nice if they came through. Yeah, I'm still hoping they do.
Speaker 3: Does that put a lot of pressure on you, knowing that Kenya is a country that isn't doing that well financially, but you may be doing that in.
Speaker 11: Most Yes, it puts pressure on me to make art that speaks to those people and tells their story to the world. Like I want people to see the pain and the struggle in my art. I want them to listen to the lyrics and I want them to I want the lyrics to take them to places in Kenya that they've never been to, and I want the human experience to connect. So right now, we're not going to a very easy time. Our government has no opposition. The opposition is the youth. And for the last year so there's been so many abductions. There's been so many There's been freedom of expression, but not freedom after expression. And I just think it's important for us to know that, for the leaders to know that. I have more faith in the children who are coming than their leadership in terms of the power they used to oppress. I don't have any fear to the current regime. I have more faith in the kids, and I think the kids are going.
Speaker 4: To save us.
Speaker 2: You feel comfortable living there?
Speaker 11: I feel comfortable living in Kenya. Yeah, I would say to a large extent, Kenye is a beautiful country. Yeah, there's many experiences you can get, and we're generally very peaceful people. But the recent times have been very tough economically. But we're not a basket case. Yeah, we're proper people. Kenyans are fighters, Africans are fighters, and the people of Africa will keep the lights on the people of can you keep the lights on?
Speaker 12: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is one of your favorite songs from the Albumchi?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a tribute to you. Yes, I really to you. She's married, it's okay, and most the money, but.
Speaker 4: He's also African, so we can have more than one wife. No he can't. You can't let me to maxtitution that you don't have more baby.
Speaker 1: Every African I thought that was in certain villages why are you doing it?
Speaker 11: You know, some things just I found in this world, and there's such complex issues that I can't really address right now in the best first club.
Speaker 12: But I'm not doing it, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because Cheeky deserves all of you and all of me only me her.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yes, so you wouldn't want another wife.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying that. Let me rephrase. You try to get let me refrase that. I know you are happily married.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, Yeah, African tradition, in a lot of countries, you are allowed to have another wife.
Speaker 12: Constitution, you're allowed. I want another wife. No I don't. Yeah, not now, No, I.
Speaker 9: Don't because trouble.
Speaker 1: Just because that's you know, culturally like y'all can do, that doesn't mean you always want that, right.
Speaker 11: So I come from a polygamous family. My dad has ten kids from six different women. I am the last ten.
Speaker 12: I am the last gentleman.
Speaker 11: You've been in trouble, I know, but just informally you one would argue that. Yeah, so formally he's been married to Yeah, my mother is the last of the ten. All know about each other.
Speaker 12: They all know about each other. When he bought a spoon for our house. He bought a spoon for the other house.
Speaker 11: You know, like, if you guys really understand how polygamy works, maybe it's not going to be a very touchy subject. I think just when you listen from the West and how people speak about it, it's just really given the vibe that it's unfair, but it's everything has everything to do with society and has a that you were set up back then. It may not work now, I agree, but back then it had everything to do with community and looking out for one another.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 11: In some cases a guy was polydimous because maybe his first wife couldn't get kids, you see, and she'd be like, let me bring a helper to see how we can do this. Also, the more kids you had, the more labor you had, because we were farmers, we were heads men, and so the more children you had, the more people you had to make create wealth with.
Speaker 12: So that was the structure.
Speaker 3: Then ask one more random question, Yeah, would what would Africa look like if all the countries were unified?
Speaker 11: I asked myself that question all the time. I ask myself, what did Africa looked like if you weren't colonized? Because you know, naturally we have never really been people who go out to conquer and convert. We've always been and that's why it was very easy to colonize us because we were easy to you know, of course, and we didn't know the games that the other party was playing. So I think I United Africa is an Africa that's living to his potential. It's peaceful. There's some leaders right now in the continent who are showing what Africa could do united. I know if you guys have heard about triality from Vulcino Fosso, Yeah, and he's been able to unite the countries on his region. They've been able to kick out France and he's taking care of yeah, and he's taking care of people. And I see that to be the future of the continent. And when we unite, we will be unstoppable in all the beautiful ways.
Speaker 4: Good to see you, brother. Their website for.
Speaker 11: The toy I just go to Oh yes man. You can go on my Instagram B and a missile B I E N A I M E s O L being a missol.
Speaker 12: You can go there.
Speaker 11: There's a link for the tickets. I'm so loving pretty much every place, but you can follow the boy. You can check out the vibes and through my page you're going to discover what the staffic is about. I also want to welcome all of you guys to Kenya. If you guys ever land in Kenya, NV, I know you come there often.
Speaker 12: So tell them off. I got to get back there, tell them about it, tell them place.
Speaker 4: Being your right by Dan Ball right, yeah, I want to lash it. Well.
Speaker 3: The year before last time with the Tanzania Days a Ball and they was like, you gotta go to Kenya's right there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I'm welcome with you guys. Absolutely love to see you guys down.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, appreciate you. Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: Good morning morning everybody. It's DJ Envy, just hilarious charlamage and the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. It's time for positive note what we got.
Speaker 3: But it's really simple, man. For everybody out there that's always on social media, you know, trying to curate the perfect image, putting a filter on everything. I just want to tell y'all y'all be so worried about image. You need to clean up your spirit. Okay, some of y'all need to clean up your spirit. Go through some damn work on yourself. I'm not out here, you know, pushing for therapy just because y'all need to go out here and find a therapist.
Speaker 4: Y'all need to find a spiritual leader.
Speaker 3: Y'all need to just really clean up your spirit, because your spirit is disgusting and nasty.
Speaker 4: Have a blessed day, breakfast club you don't finish for y'all done,