Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And Donald Trump won't rule out banning vaccines if he becomes president. We have a great show for you today, the Lincoln Project. Zonne Rick Wilson breaks down the Des Moines Register seltzer ple and what it tells us about the vice president's chances of becoming our next president.
Speaker 2: Then we'll talk to Emily's.
Speaker 1: List Jessica Meckler about how she sees reproductive rights affecting this election.
Speaker 2: But first the news.
Speaker 3: So, Molly, we are in the final unraveling of Trump on this campaign trail. He's talking about that if you shoot the press, he doesn't care. He said he shouldn't have left the White House after the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 4: What are you seeing here? Because what I'm seeing I don't like.
Speaker 1: It's a whole cavalcade of crazy. We have Donald Trump bragging about how many filled seats there are in his rally. Wow, the camera is panning to half empty seats. We have Donald Trump saying that they should take away the licensing for CBS. We have Donald Trump talking about how he would be fine if people want to shoot through the journal as a journalist, we don't like that too much. Then we have Donald Trump. I just want to mention this again for the few people who haven't seen it. Donald Trump pretended to filate a microphone. That was something that I will probably an image I will never be able to get out of my head.
Speaker 2: And then Donald.
Speaker 1: Trump's people, the people around him, his other speakers have also been an incredible disaster.
Speaker 2: We have her Walker who said it stops on Tuesday when we.
Speaker 1: Vote for my friend and your friend Donald Trump Junior, Donald Trump, Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump.
Speaker 3: My favorite was what RFK said that he's going to take the flour eye out of the water and created that conversation.
Speaker 1: Uplied, Yes, RFK Junior is also going to take the floor out of the water so we can all have cavities again. But Marco Rubio wants everyone to know and I'm sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Who is thinking this, but this is just amazing.
Speaker 1: Marco Rubio, who is Cuban, tells the crowded Trump's rallies. I want to make clear that Mark Cuban is not Cuban. I don't know how he got that name. He's not Cuban all right.
Speaker 3: I think this goes to that thing of what Josh Marshall said on a previous episode of our podcast that this is what happens when your four chan is doing the forwarding of your rallies like kids who grew up on four chan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty bleak.
Speaker 1: I mean it's we're The next time we come to you, it will be us trying to fill a buster because we don't know the results of the election.
Speaker 3: We do have a little bit more polling though, that we could share with people some last minute polls that they may not have heard because they were doing better things on their Sunday than what you and I were doing.
Speaker 1: They're not extreme for those of you who are not extremely online. We have a general election New York Times poll, General election New York Times North Carolina poll, and it shows Harris up to over Trump, and that would track from what we've seen because Donald Trump has been in North Carolina twice or three times this weekend, and if Donald Trump loses North Carolina that'll be really tough for him. That's an A plus poll of a thousand and ten likely voters.
Speaker 3: And the last poll had him up by two right.
Speaker 1: So that will be a that's a four point movement towards Harris, which is something to think about. And then a final NBC News poll, the last poll of twenty twenty four presidential campaign shows that Trump is only earning nine percent of black support. That's lower than he the twelve percent he received during the twenty twenty presidential election when he ran against Joe Biden. Now, I just want to point out that we have had so many fucking articles about how Donald Trump is peeling away the black vote and how he selling sneakers was going to get black voters. So again, we don't know what the final numbers look like, but I just want to point out that if he's doing three points less well than he was with Joe Biden, it means that the sneakers.
Speaker 2: Did not work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Molly. Our last subject for our headlines is a not so fun one, which is that The Daily Beast has released more tapes of Jeffrey Epstein, which I have heard a lot, and he really really talks about how good friends him and Trump were and calls him one of his closest friends for ten years. And there's also there's a lot.
Speaker 2: In there and what really struck out to you.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Remarkable, remarkable how intimate details he knew about Trump in his life, which really showed how close a friends they were. That was not the type of stuff that somebody you occasionally see at a party knows about you. So just a lot of stories of them hanging out together.
Speaker 1: So I mean, again, I'm sure that there is certainly some that they had some kind of relationship. And you'll remember that a lot of these Trump supporters are obsessed with pedophilia and child sexual abuse, and here is a guy who legitimately ran a child sexual abuse ring who was talking about being friends with Trump. Unfortunately, all of us information has come out way too late in the cycle to affect the vote, which is sort of interesting that these tapes get released.
Speaker 2: Like two three days before an election.
Speaker 1: But they certainly are out there, though I'm not seeing them get a ton of pick up.
Speaker 3: Seems like it's getting a lot of pickup online, but the mainstream media has not picked it up quite yet. I also would say that the lawyers for mainstream media, let's don't usually work on the weekends.
Speaker 1: So Rick Wilson is the founder of the Lincoln Project in the host of the Enemy's list, Welcome back too Fast Politics.
Speaker 2: It's Sunday. You will listen to this on Monday.
Speaker 1: The day before the twenty twenty four election. We have the one, the only Rick Wilson here. Rick Wilson, what are the vibes.
Speaker 5: The vibes are that Maga world is in a horrible teeth grinding, girning shit show.
Speaker 4: Panic.
Speaker 5: These are like people who suddenly see the entire structure they've built up to bullshit themselves not working on other people anymore.
Speaker 1: Is it Seltzer Sunday? Let's talk about a Seltzer.
Speaker 5: It is an Seltzer Sunday. And Seltzer is probably one of the best polsters in this country. And you know, guys like me who've been around the block in Iowa a couple of times over the decades, you looked at the Seltzer pole as the most accurate and clean poll in Iowa. She still uses a lot of old school methodology. She doesn't go in and put her thumb on the scale ahead of time to wait the survey to get the results she wants. It's very straightforward. And so the fact that you have an Seltzer coming out on Friday night on a Saturday Night, excuse.
Speaker 2: Me, seven pm EST, Baby.
Speaker 4: Seven pm Eest.
Speaker 5: Forty seven to forty four among likely voters in the Great State of Iowa.
Speaker 4: With Harris in the lead, Harris ahead.
Speaker 1: Folks explain to our listeners how a Seltzer pole translates to other states.
Speaker 5: Okay, there are a lot of similarities between Iowa and places like Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, even Ohio has some demographic parallels. Now, look, do I think we're going to win Ohio?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: But do I think Ohio is going to be a lot closer than people think. And what's really interesting under the hood of the Selleser poll, Not only is the head to head really important to look at, but what's under the hood is that she's doing better with seniors than Biden did in twenty twenty. She's doing much better with young voters, she's doing much better with college educated voters. And all these numbers underneath it are showing a degree of enthusiasm for her that I think is really telling, and it is really important the voters that she's going to be able to pull in a state like Iowa, if it's even close in a state like Iowa, it's going to mean very bad things for Donald Trump across the country on election day. Iowa should be a safe red state. We know that the campaign is losing its mind. Fat Tony the polster put out a memo last night trying to blow up the Salzer poll. I can just tell you, at no point in the history of any time ever in America has anyone said, hmm, Tony the pollster is more reliable than Ann Selzer. Never happened with any human being. And the other part of this that's going on here is that you're seeing that women are comprising a large sector of the likely electorate, a larger than usual sector of the likely electorate. If that's the case, Donald Trump is going to get blown out. And again, I keep going back to this. You know me, I am not like a stupidly optimistic guy. I am pretty worn down and hardened by all this crap.
Speaker 2: It's one of your best qualities.
Speaker 5: For the last thirty years of doing this. But these numbers across all these surveys are not showing a Trump victory. If there is something like that that's out there that we're not seeing, nobody else in the world is seeing it either. I think a lot of these pollsters have ended up putting their thumb on the scale because they still have PTSD about twenty sixteen. They are terrified to show Trump behind because if he comes from behind, then wins. Somehow, they're going to be embarrassed. But these numbers are not holding up the big factors. More women voting, a huge influx of younger women voters, women voters under the age of thirty. They're not here because they're worried about trade policy. They're here because they're worried about climate change. They're here because the Dobbs decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to go back to Saltzer for a minute. So the way it works is Democrats are supposed to lose Iowa. Right, That's how it lot by a lot. So here's how you interpret it. Trump at eleven plus eleven or higher, that would be a Trump blowout. Trump nine to ten plus is good. Seven to nine means a close election. Right, Trump up five to six in Iowa is good for Harris. Trump plus four or lower means a Harris blowout. We have Trump at negative three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if that ends up being the case, if we end up seeing Iowa turned into a route on Trump, it is going to be a very tough night for Donald because increasingly our numbers, we are increasingly confident about Michigan and Wisconsin, Pennsylvania. Just this morning, I was getting briefed on a lot of the field activity in Pennsylvania. We've got our own teams up there as well, doing work on the ground. We've got some of our people up in Pennsylvania right now. And we had one of our our guys go and actually worked doors yesterday and this morning and in Trump areas, marginal areas. And he reported back after eighty doors over two days that his strongest takeaway was Democrats are hyped over the moon. Trump voters are angry, but a lot of people who should be Trump voters, like I'm staying home. I don't want to vote for her, but I can't deal with him anymore either. I'll take it okay if we end up with the Blue Wall. And as you can see, Trump is playing hard defense right now in North Carolina. He is spending the majority of his time in North Carolina. There was some discussion inside Trump World last night.
Speaker 2: Because they can't afford to lose North Carolina.
Speaker 5: No, if you lose North Carolina and Iowa and the Blue Wall. That's it, We're done.
Speaker 2: Nobody thinks let's just read for it.
Speaker 1: Just I want to just add a cautious note, nobody thinks Trump is going to lose Iowa.
Speaker 2: It's more of being close.
Speaker 1: In Iowa is a sign of how bad a position Trump is in.
Speaker 5: It is partially that. But I want to say this, Ann Selzer's track record over the years of prediction in Iowa is ridiculous. It is so high, it is so consistently on the money.
Speaker 2: And she called the election for Trump in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: Yes, And there are plenty of folks, you know, who have never been in a campaign, by the way, who have never done any electoral electoral work, who have never dealt with pulling in any real capacity other than as Internet experts on pulling. And there are so many of them.
Speaker 2: It's nice. I like it when you get into the resentful part.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of these people. John Patriot four sex seven one oh two four nine seven to two, who became a Twitter user on August twenty twenty three, who's like my analysis of these polls and it gets like a billion a billion retweets from morons. You're like, stop, stop, this is really not as difficult as you think. Women are pissed off. Young women are extremely, extremely pissed off. She's winning for at least overperforming with college educated women and college educated men. If you take away those two demos from the Trump coalition, you're done this country. I feel like in a lot of ways, it woke up about twenty four hours ago, forty eight hours ago and said, oh, I'm done. That's enough, because they get it. They get what's at stake. They get what they get that their liberty is at stake. They get that their lives are at stake. And Donald Trump hasn't helped himself in the last ten days unless he's looking for post prison employment.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about one other thing about polling before we stop being me into Nate Silver.
Speaker 4: If you're in line to dunk on Nate Silver, stay in line.
Speaker 6: And I'm not.
Speaker 1: This is like two way too online people complain about other way too online people. But I have another thing. I want to just take a minute to talk about hurting. Explain to our listeners what hurting is.
Speaker 5: Go there's a sort of social behavior of pushing people into the same frame of the narrative, the same conclusory frame of a narrative. And I'm sorry, I have to just break in for a second while we're recording this. I just got a message on my phone that says Miami University of Ohio has just released their survey. It's a pretty good survey generally speaking. Trump forty nine, Here's forty six in Ohio. Issu's three points back in Ohio.
Speaker 2: He's fucked.
Speaker 5: He's fuck a doodle doo. As they say in the technical polling world.
Speaker 1: I think Mike DeWine won that stay by twenty seven points.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so let's be let's be very real here about what this means. This means that there is no say place for Trump anywhere outside of the.
Speaker 2: Deep South and Fox News.
Speaker 4: No, he hates Fox News now. I don't know if you saw it. Since this morning, he's very very angry.
Speaker 2: Why what did they do to him? Those bastards.
Speaker 5: They've allowed ads on their air that criticize him.
Speaker 2: God damn it, monsters.
Speaker 4: I know it's terrible.
Speaker 5: But by the way, the other thing that Sealzer poll was telling me, back to Luke, back to Iowa and herding for a second, because this is the.
Speaker 4: Opposite of it.
Speaker 1: Twenty five points. Sorry, Mike DeWine got reelected with twenty five points.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The other thing that's going on in Iowa is Democrats, even in some of the more difficult districts there are overperforming by about seven or eight points where.
Speaker 4: They should be.
Speaker 1: No one knows what's going to happen on Tuesday, but I want to do two seconds about how fucking wrong the media industrial complex was at every point.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what I was getting to because you had you did ask a very smart question about what the herting effect. And for the last let's even just take it from the time Vice President Harris got into the race. Between that period of time and today, there has been one narrative in the national media, only one narrative, tie ballgame, horse race, too close to call, split right down the middle. It's not true. And they've they've managed to heard a lot of people who follow the mainstream media into a mental frame of oh, it's too close to call, it's too close to call. Yes, it's close, it may not be. There are now many many more signs and look, we're rerunning a bunch of regressions on our model this morning. It's not going to pop out till later in the day because it's we're going to run five thousand tests or something like that. Our model's chance of Harris blowout has been spiking up dramatically in the last few days, and we think with this last round of polling, even though everybody steps on the numbers, even though everybody is like desperately trying to not be embarrassed by missing out a Trump surge like they did in twenty sixteen and living out their PTSD for all that, I'm increasingly feeling like this is not a tie ball game. And again, is there something out there? Is there something we're missing ex factor that I'm missing. I have laid awake at night. I have pondered this. I have talked to people smarter than me by a long shot, and I might add I.
Speaker 1: Have called you five times a day for the last ten days.
Speaker 4: And asked you how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: And also, is there something you're fucking missing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and believe me, I want to know what I'm missing. If I'm missing something, I want to know it. I want to find it. I want to kill it.
Speaker 2: But you want to shoot it with the gun?
Speaker 4: Well, yes, actually I do.
Speaker 5: I don't have a failure mode in these models right now that I'm not seeing early voting numbers are so heavily stacked over toward women that unless there's some secret Trump vote of women on abortion in his side of this matter, I can't find it. Unless there's some secret field program out there that Elon is running and not just dragging people around in rider trucks and abandoning them in faraway states, we're not seeing its effect. All of these things are in my mind and signs of an impending win for Harris.
Speaker 1: And I want to pause for a second, just for one last thing about polls. All of these polls have been R plus two or R plus three because they weren't expecting an R plus two or R pus three or electorate, when in fact, after overturning Roe v. Wade a right that women have had since nineteen seventy three, it would have been more realistic to have maybe pulled with a D plus one electorate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean stacking the electorate to look like R plus two, three, four, five, six, or even stacking the electorate in some of these cases to look like twenty sixteen. If you look at the way twenty sixteen ended, Donald Trump how to be portray Hillary Clinton sick, old, tired, couldn't finish a speech, week, failing, not doing well, disliked by her own party in many ways, no real constituency. Trump has become the character that he pretended Hillary Clinton was in twenty sixteen. Oh it's smart, okay, And I think that is going to corrode Trump in this last bit. And I will also say this, we're looking at a real the rally differential. I know it's like aneic data as they call it. But Trump in these small halls with these small audiences that don't look that revved up, don't look that enthusiastic. And yesterday when he was out there on this company, He's like, this is almost the end. We won't be doing this much longer. He gets it, he knows this is over. He knows it's not coming back. He's not going to have some sort of magical flip. This thing doesn't have the feel. And I know feelings are are not data, but it doesn't have the feel and the vibe that you would have. And think about how the campaigns are ending, Molly. She's ending optimistic, big crowds, big excitement going on Saturday night, live optimistic message, keeping up this idea that the country's going to be better. Donald Trump is still you know, the apocalypse, doom and gloom. They're eating the dogs, all this crap, and nothing they're doing is working to change that narrative ructure.
Speaker 1: I also think we didn't cover the right stuff, Like if you're going to post mortem mainstream media, and I say this as a member of the mainstream media, we didn't spend enough time covering women. We didn't spend enough time covering Roe v.
Speaker 2: Wade. You know, we spend so.
Speaker 1: Much time being mad at Hispanic men and not nearly enough time looking at the women vote or looking at and you know, Hispanic men may end up supporting her in the same numbers.
Speaker 2: We don't know, right, we're not at.
Speaker 5: A moment where journalism is ready to take a look at how they blew this race, but they did. We're not at a moment where conservatism inc. Is ready to.
Speaker 4: Say, oh my god, we've really fucked this up.
Speaker 5: And honestly, the idea that people are going to say, oh, you're just attacking the Times or you're just mad at the media, because blah blah, I'm mad at them for fucking up their own reputations. I'm mad at them for drinking the poison that Trump keeps feeding them every minute of the day. I'm mad at them for putting themselves in a way that compromises is the future of journalism, because they were afraid that Trump might win, and that some of them who we know are so sunk into the Stockholm syndrome of being afraid of Trump that they are buying into the bullshit of Trump. I mean, all this has to be in a challenging media environment. A little bit of recognition of their self and their and their own culpability to the corruption of Trump and trump Ism would be really smart. But these narratives that they ran down the rabbit hole on Here's what's going to happen with African Americans on Tuesday. They're going to fall almost precisely within the historical median of African American voter performance, both in terms of turnout and in terms of party selection. He may have a small spike in Hispanic support, but it's probably still going to fall short at what George W. Bush got in twenty or thirty seven percent. The things that they claimed they were doing and the things they claimed that their message was influenced where their message was influencing in the campaign were bullshit, and the reporters around them in the bubble of Trump World drank the poison, believe the bullshit. And I get it. It's a hard thing to do to be as a critical voice and to question these people when they know that access and connection and Trump World whatever is vital. I mean, the only time now that it's started to break down, where reporters are starting to drill in and do things that the campaign hates texted was somebody last night who told me that the nuclear meltdown over the tim alberta article from the Atlantic this weekend inside Trump World is beyond I mean they've all started the blame storming.
Speaker 2: Well, that article was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like them starting blamestorming even before the early voting was counted, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, Sadly, I think you're going to see the media say, well, we did as good as we could because Trump is so weird and so degenerate and so blah blah blah blah blah, and nobody could have done a better job, and so we're going to forgive ourselves and move on.
Speaker 4: I think that's a mistake.
Speaker 2: Thank you of course.
Speaker 1: Jessica Mackler is the president of Emily's List. Welcome to Fast Politics, Jessica Meckler. I am so excited to have you here. I want to just give a two second introduction to you. You are the head of Emily's List, which is this organization that's a long established organization to a luck women. But we did a panel together at the Harvard Institute of Politics and what I was struck by was how much you are in it in the field.
Speaker 2: So where are you right now and tell us about that?
Speaker 6: Yes, well, I am in Las Vegasabata today and this is I think my eighth thop in just a couple of weeks out of the campaign trail. I was with other Reproductive Freedom partners and Thunder Jackie Rosen and Sundator Sammy Duckworth this morning talking about the things to reproductive freedom here in Nevada.
Speaker 2: So two questions about Nevada.
Speaker 1: One is what is it like? Can you see the sphere? And is that the largest political advertisement ever? And is Harris on it?
Speaker 2: It's just a bit of sort of trivia. But do you think that that will have any influence on voting?
Speaker 6: We are going to drive by this spehar because I'm actually headed back to the airport to go to another campaign and stop. But I've seen pictures of it, I haven't seen it in person of it. I want to before I go.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 6: I mean, this election Nevada's battleground state. I've worked here before, and I will say that it is always close. We know this was the state in twenty twenty two that delivered the hold of the Sun of Majority in the closest race in the country, and so we expect that again this time. And I think anything that we can do to put the message in front of voters is going to be really critical in this final stretch.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's like there was initially a big freak out about the early vote in Nevada, and then Democrats caught up almost or close to right.
Speaker 2: And it's just interesting to me that historically that's how it goes there.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think early vote is really important in Nevada because a lot of voters do participate in the early vote. The key thing in this election cycle is there's just a lot of different factors that make it a little bit hard to compare with this election cycle to other election cycles. Republicans, despite complaining about early vote and disparaging early votes, have decided to encourage their voters to vote early, and so we're seeing that they're cannibalizing their election day vote. Twenty percent of the Republicans who voted early in this election historically vote on election day. And we also know that because now Nevada has automatic voter registration, and when you're registered automatically, you're a registered nonpartisan, and so we have a big other nonpartisan category started the early book. Yeah, And what we know though, is that when we look at the demographics of those voters who are voting early, they are younger, they are more diverse, and so we feel really good about that electorate turning out for us and being with the Democrats in this election. But you know, it is going to be a close election. We've known that. I've said for weeks and months that Nevada was going to be close because it's a battleground state for a reason, so we need every vote vote. I will The other thing I will just say is that Nevada knows how to do the work. And I was in a standing room only crowd today of people who were revved up to go give this phone bank, do the work to bring in those voters.
Speaker 1: Rosen has led Brown this entire time in the center race at the bottom of the ticket. Doesn't that account for anything?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I mean Jackie Rosen enters the final stretch of this election in a strong place because of the campaign that she's built, because of the record that she has, and that really has been driven by the fight for reproductive rights. He has made this issue essential part of her campaign and has really driven home in the contrast between herself and Sam Brown. You know, she comes into these final days of this election after having run this incredibly strong campaign, and that is really important. As we get to the ends here.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about the other battlegrounds, for example, this Pennsylvania early vote situation, because it could be a meaning couple indication of what we're going to see too, it could also not be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is the hardest part, right because everybody, you know, we because the election is so important, the states are so high and so we're looking for every little tidbit to try to figure out where things stand. But we have some encouraging news. Right It's notspositive, but we are looking at the numbers in Pennsylvania and we feel really good about that. We see that among the new female voters, Democrats outnumber Republicans nearly two to one. And then we see that we just overall are seeing turnout with women in Pennsylvania and in other early vote states. That is really encouraging.
Speaker 2: Which other early vote states.
Speaker 6: The early numbers out of North Carolina as well show that women are out paything bad And you know, across the battle ground we see a ten point gender gap in early voting so far. That is really encouraging because we know that it's a diverse coalition of women that are going to deliver a win up and down the ballot for Democrats, starting with Kamala Harris, and we know that those women are voting on the issue of reproduction.
Speaker 1: Rya, I want you to talk about the volunteers you've seen with volunteers on the ground, because I think that's really important.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. I mean, I, like I said, I'm here in Las Vegas about it. Today. We had a standing room only crowd, very heavily female crowd in attendance, showing up to rally for reproductive freedom, but not just a rally for reproductive freedom. The reason they were there is because they are volunteers, and they're the steadbath volunteers out there knocking on the doors, making the phone calls. It's cooled off a little bit here in Las Vegas, but I was here a couple of weeks ago. We had the same type of turnout in one hundred degree heat. Basically people showing up ready to do the work because they're so motivated. Selection last week, I was in Rochester, Michigan, which is a purple part of the state. It's a really important part of the state in terms of the path to victory statewide and for targeted races at all levels of the ballot, and we had again standing room only crowd full of women really energized both to hear what we had to say, but then also to go from there and take a walk, packet or take a phone shift do the work. So the energy and the excitement that we see among women in particular across the battlegrounds, and I would say even drilling down a little bit young women across the battlegrounds, which you know we define as forty five and under.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 6: It's really incredible. Yeah, I have six more months or it makes me really happy. You know, the vibes in DC are anxious, but the vibes on the ground and battle ground states are energetic.
Speaker 1: So yes, it seems like there's some information out of Pennsylvania now that Trump is struggling with older voters.
Speaker 2: Those were the voters.
Speaker 1: That he had sort of lost in twenty twenty from COVID and it seems like they have maybe not come back to him.
Speaker 6: That's right, And I mean, I think one thing that's really important to think about when you think about those older voters, especially older women, that we have seen in the polling data, is that they remember a time when these ripe for a risk, and they have that history and so or where these rights didn't exist and they are now watching in horror as their granddaughters and daughters are fighting the fi that they thought was one. We really do see a lot of opportunity with those older voters sixty five and over. We have seen that, as you said, in Pennsylvania, they Democrats aged over sixty five have outloaded Republicans. And then we also just see across if you look at every age demographic and across race, across geography, women voters are breaking for Kapla Harris in this real way, and so we look at you. There was a full last week that had her with a nine point lead among suburban women, and we had full among young voters to where she leads by twenty points young women voters. And so it's those metrics when we look at kind of any different bucket, we are seeing that, particularly for women, they are rallying around the Vice president. They are energized by her, and they are rejecting this politics of hate and division and a platform that is going to deny us our rights for a generation to cop.
Speaker 1: At least where else have you been in what other Senate candidates have you been sort of involved with in the field.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so, I was in Michigan campaigning for a list of block ken in the Michigan center race. She too is a veteran of tough races and is in a really strong position in a battleground state. All of these races are going to be close, we just have to acknowledge that. But her candidacy has been really strong, again someone who has put the issue of reproductive freedom front and center. I am headed tonight to oh Claire, Wisconsin. The campaign for Tammy Baldwin in the Senate race. There another state Wisconsin that will be very very close, but where we have an opponent in Eric Hobdy who just recently said that young women were single issue voters and kind of, you know, in a disparaging way. That's an example of somebody, you know, we see this across the board with these Republican candidates who just really doesn't get it. It's not that young women are single issue voters. It's that we don't want to die. We don't want our friends to die, we don't want a relatives to die. They really are missing the mark in terms of understanding what's going on here. But those are all candidates who are in really strong positions heading into the final stretch, all of who are going to have extraordinarily tight margin. But we feel all optimistic about them because of both the strong candidacy they provided and also just the leadership of the centering of this fite for reproductive breedem.
Speaker 1: What I'm thinking about when I heard you talk at Harvard when we were on this panel, I thought, I've been on so much television and media and writing and reading so many pieces and listening to so many podcasts and women are really kind of not thought of as an important issue. We're sort of relegated to the back. Still, what I think is so interesting about this and we've seen so much coverage of Tromp and his conservatives and voters that might do this or do that, and just not a lot of coverage about all of these women who are pissed off about losing their rights.
Speaker 2: I'm sort of struck by that.
Speaker 1: And if in the end, and again we don't know what's going to happen, and anyone who tells you they do is really full of shit. But in the end, if women do deliver this victory for Harris, it is such an indictment of the way the mainstream media coppers politics.
Speaker 6: I couldn't agree more. And you know, I believe Look as an organization that was founded forty years ago by a generation of women who were pissed off that they were being desmits and not taking seriously. And to push women to the forefront, and to see women even to your point that we still don't necessarily have that coverage and that attention, but that they are driving this fight and driving these wins is really remarkable. And you know, one other thing I would say, is that it really matters sav a candidate like Vice President Kamala Harritz, who is meeting the moment in so many ways, but meeting this moment for women who are outraged, and she can say to them, on the foundation of an entire lifetime of fighting these fights, you know you're a bad I'm mad too, and we're here's something we're going to do about it. And the power of that is just really remarkable. And I think that is what is driving what we're seeing across this country right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, I am a big Joe Biden fan, and I really appreciate all of the work he's done, and he's been just magnificent passing legislation, but he is not great at talking about abortion.
Speaker 6: Joe Biden did the most patriotic thing that a person can do, and as a testament to his leadership that he looked at this and said this is too important. It's bigger than me, and he handed the thought to Kamala Harris, who is our nation's strongest leader when it comes to the issue group production freedom. When you think about what it meant for her to bring abortion storytellers to the White House, what it meant for her to be the first vice president or president to visit an abortion clinic when a plan imparadheit clinic. And so the leadership that she provides on this issue is, like you said, it's built on a foundation of having done this work for entire life. And it really shows us in this moment the imperative around women's leadership and the imperative around having leaders like the Vice president who have done this work for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's really important for me.
Speaker 1: When I was at the dm SEE in Chicago, what I was struck by was that almost not all of them because there were some older men, but most of the volunteers who were staffing were black women.
Speaker 6: Yeah, representation matters so much, and at this moment, you know, when we think about the moment we're in the fight for reproductive freedom. You can't talk about reproductive freedom in this country without talking about that in the context of the Black maternal health crisis. And so we know that whether it's reproductive freedom or so many other issues, the ramifications of policies that are adopted in Washington have different impact and often our short impact in communities of color for black women, and so to have women at the table of all backgrounds, bringing that into the conversation and leading these fights forward with these viewpoints and understanding what it means for various communities when we pass these policies, and particularly again when we pass policies that restrict our rights and our freedoms, we see that those outcomes are far worse in communities of color, and in particular for black women, And so it matters a lot. And I think you see then also black women have been the drivers of democratic wins for a very long time, and so it is also really important that we give that the recognition that it deserves and that they deserve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Georgia, can you talk to us just about what you think? Like there is a Warnock coalition that has come out like seventy five times to vote for him because get to run in primaries, in generals and runoffs. The architect of that war, Notock coalition, works for the Harris campaign. Now do you think that they aren't going to be able to turn out? Have you been to Georgia and what are you seeing in Georgia.
Speaker 6: I haven't been to Georgia in the last couple of weeks, but I have certainly been observing the numbers. I think we've seen that the state isn't played, and it's reflected in the visit from the Vice President and from other surrogates. The truth is that the Vice President has multiple paths to two seventy. That wasn't true several months ago. It is true now, and it is because of the type of candidate that she is in the leadership that she provides, and so Georgia's and play North Carolina's and play the Blue Wall is of course going to be very important. The fact that there are these multiple paths too two seventy is so critical because we know that these races are decided by often, you know, a handful of votes for precinct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're going to go next to Wisconsin.
Speaker 6: Yep, So I do okare with Counsin tomorrow and then I head to Maryland. Emily has been involved with the effort to elect to Angela Alsobrooks the United States Senate from the very beginning of her campaign, and so I'm really excited to spend the last two days of the election campaigning with her. We were heavily involved in the primary and then again in this general election where she's running against a former Republican governor who had been pretending that he didn't like Donald Trump, and then we just found out he's bragging about an endorsement to donors in private, and so we know what's at stake theirs. I'll be finishing out the election campaigning with Angela and I'm really excited about her election. And you know you and I ha he talked about this when we saw each other recently. We have the opportunity in this election to double the number of Black women in the United States Senate. So with angel also broke through the Prince George's county executive in Maryland, and Lisa Blunt Rochester, who's a congresswoman from Delaware who's also someone we've supported throughout her career. They are both well positioned to win their Senate races. Angela's is still competitive, but we feel good about her race and we can in this one election cycle double the number of Black women and Senate now two people.
Speaker 2: We're not going to forty here, but it's progress.
Speaker 6: That's not enough, that's not an acceptable number, but it's progress. And like the Vice President, it shows that when we invest in and support these women candidates who are just incredible leaders that we can't make progress and we can do big things. And so the opportunity we have in front of us in these next four days is really incredible. The threat is real, the stakes are high, but the opportunity is there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's so important.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you taking the time, I'm on your way to Claire, Wisconsin to come on and talk to us.
Speaker 6: Really, thank you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: A moment fuck.
Speaker 1: Rick Wellsen Molli Jong Fast, do you have a moment of fuckery?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: My moment of fuckery is the absolutely astounding degree to which Elon Musk the richest man in the world, and some people think he's a genius of some kind. How badly, a group of consultants from Ron De Santis's world took Elon Musk out to dinner, liquered him up, took him out behind the barn, spanked him, took his wallet, left him buck naked at the bus stop. These people have fucked him for one hundred million dollars. One hundred million or more dollars. This is the most astounding political scam in the history of mankind. Elon has been sold.
Speaker 4: A pig in a poke a bill of goods.
Speaker 5: He has bought into the idea that these people were actually with their hobo army out knocked looking on doors.
Speaker 4: They weren't. This is I mean.
Speaker 5: If Elon doesn't sue these fuckers for all that they're worth and take back the one hundred million plus he's paid them, he is a damn fool. That is my moment of fuckery.
Speaker 1: My moment of fuckery is Donald trump fulating a microphone. You may not have seen this video if you're not very online. On Friday, he was on a rally, his microphone stopped working. He pantomimed fallatio on the microphone. I am a person who grew up in New York City in the eighties. My mother wrote erotic novels, and I have never seen anything like that in my life. Like, I literally have never seen a person pretend to fulate a microphone, let alone a presidential candidate.
Speaker 2: It is an image I kind of get out of my head. It was shocking. A lot of mainstream media is not.
Speaker 1: Covering it because it's so disgusting, but there are endless videos of it.
Speaker 4: And it all deserves a soundtrack of its own that goes like this.
Speaker 1: Oh, theyre always elevating the discourse.
Speaker 4: Rick Wilson, I am here to make the discourse sing.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.