Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Grossel from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: A big win for the Trump administration, the Supreme Court sided with President Trump over his plan to use the Postal Service to impose new restrictions on mail in voting, at least for now. The court six conservatives put on hold one of two Boston Federal Court rulings that have blocked key parts of Trump's executive order from being fully implemented ahead of the November midterms. The three liberals dissented, joining me is Bloomberg Supreme Court reporter Greg Storr, So, Greg, it's only a ten page decision, tell us about it.
Speaker 3: So it's a temporary decision. And it goes back to this executive order that Donald Trump issued about five months ago. And this is a challenge to that executive order, and it's important to keep that in mind. The Supreme Court said that executive order, which among other things, directs the Postal Service to restrict who can get mail ballots. The Supreme Court said that executive order in and of itself doesn't harm anybody. It doesn't harm the states that suit to challenge it. But the Supreme Court said, when the government actually issues some rules to implement this, then we'll be happy to reconsider and then maybe the States will be harmed and they can win their challenge. Well, the Postal Service has now issued a final rule that would restrict who can get mail ballots. The States are challenging that at a lower court, so this whole thing may get back up to the Supreme Court very very quickly.
Speaker 2: They issued this decision on Monday, but on Friday we had the Postal Service proposing the rules that this decision's about.
Speaker 3: So that is a final rule that will be formally published on Wednesday. There is lower court litigation about whether that is legal. The States are going to be able to argue in that case that that rule does harm them and they should be able to pursue. And then, more importantly, they say that rule is well beyond the authority of the federal government, well beyond the the authority of the Postal Service. If the district court agrees with that argument that it's beyond the power of the President, beyond the power of the Postal Service, then we could get a new injunction blocking the rules, and that could very quickly get back up to the Supreme Court again.
Speaker 2: So should we look at this decision as a placeholder.
Speaker 3: It is a placeholder, which doesn't mean that it's not at least a bit of a good sign for Donald Trump. So they accepted some arguments he made. For example, the administration argued that the federal government would be irreparably harmed if the Court blocked this executive order, and the Supreme Court agreed with that argument. Doesn't mean to say that he had authority to do it, but it does mean that one key component to how the Supreme Court assesses an emergency application, what's going to be the relative harm on each depending on how we rule on that point. Seemingly six justices in the majority agreed with Donald Trump that he would be hurt if the Court blocked this rule.
Speaker 2: So the opinion says, this doesn't mean that any measures that the government takes will necessarily be lawful. Quote. On that score, time will tell.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Some states are sending out ballots within a couple of weeks, so what's the time the conservatives are.
Speaker 3: Waiting for the timing of This is a real wild card and potentially could be a real problem. So back when the administration filed this application at the Supreme Court back in late July, they said we need to implement this executive order by early to mid August. We're obviously past that point, and you know, just now the government's going to be able to think about actually implementing that order. The Supreme Court sat on this thing for almost three weeks. It was full briefed, and the Supreme Court didn't act on it. Not at all clear why the Supreme Court waited so long. I mean, they clearly had opinions to write, but by waiting so long, they did sort of create this potential collision coming along where states do need to send out their ballots. The Postal Service rule would require them to put a special barcode on the ballots and the envelopes to designate that these are going to eligible voters. And that all takes time, and we're getting darn near the point where both the Postal Service and the states are running out of time to do this in an orderly fashion before November.
Speaker 2: It sounds like this decision is a recipe for confusion and chaos in the midterms. Thanks so much, Greg. That's Bloomberg Supreme Court reporter Greg Store. It's called the roadless rule, and for the last twenty five years, it's prevented the building of roads and commercial logging on fifty eight million acres of unspoiled national forests. But now the Trump administration is proposing to repeal the rule in full, a move that will bring litigation from environmental groups like Earth Justice, which has been successfully defending the rule in court for decades. Joining me is environmental law expert Pat Parento, a professor at the Vermont Law and Graduate School. Pat explain what the roadless Rule is and what it's accomplished over the last twenty five years.
Speaker 4: So this is a rule that was adopted under the National Forest Management Act in the Clinton administration, right at the very end of the Clinton administration in January two thousand and one. It covers thirty percent of the national forests. That represents over fifty eight million acres of literally unspoiled wilderness. This has been hailed as one of the greatest conservation moves, probably outside of what Teddy Roosevelt did in the early part of this last century. And it is the stronghold for hundreds, literally hundreds of endangered and threatened species. And you think about the big carnivores, the wolves and bears and pumas and cougars, even jaguars. You know, we do have some jaguars right at the very southern border and they're in the Coronado National Force, So incredibly valuable for watershed protection. Twenty five million Americans get their water supply coming off of these watersheds that don't have to be gone through enormous treatment, expensive treatment, and so forth. So very important to Native Americans, not only in the Lower forty eight, but in Alaska on the Tongas National Forest, one of the large intact boreal forests that we have, and so forth, so incredibly valuable natural resources. The rationale for repealing this rule is to fight fires. And one thing we know for sure when you build roads, you're going to get fires. Ninety percent of fires are ignited by humans, people throwing their cigarette butts out of the car, not putting out their campfires, et cetera. So you know, if you want wildfires, then build more roads, because that's what you're going to get. So there's lots of other problems with what's being proposed. You know, there are three hundred and sixty eight thousand roads already in national forests. Most of them are unsafe they're deteriorating, they're prone to landslides, erosion, and sedimentation, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So you know, one of the reasons for the roadless.
Speaker 4: Rule was to stop spending money on new roads when we can't even take care of the road we already have.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Is the real reason behind this from the Trump administration, for the executive order, et cetera, is the real reason that they want more timber.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he issued an executive order one of of course many early in his term, in which he said, we need to increase timber production on the national forests. All these environmental laws and endangered species protections, et cetera are costing us, you know, loss of revenue and having to rely on can you believe it, Canada for our timber products, which and we hate Canada apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's all about mining and timber production and so forth. And the answer is the reason that these areas haven't been timbered and have been roaded is because they are incredibly remote and expensive as hell, and the timber values outside of maybe the Tongas National Force, which you know, admittedly has incredibly valuable timber, but in the lower forty eight. The timber revenues probably won't offset the economic costs of building these roads, and also the impact on local communities that depend on access to these pristine areas, namely ecotourism. There are studies that show that loss of revenue will outweigh whatever expected revenue you get from timber sales.
Speaker 2: So the USDA said, and the statement that across the country, we've watched preventable conditions, overgrown stands, insect outbreaks, and disease turn healthy landscapes into tinderboxes. And it said its repeal will allow individual forest managers to make decisions tailored to the land they're overseeing, without mandating road building or timber production.
Speaker 4: So here comes the inconvenient truth. The roadless rule all allows access to thin the forests, to conduct prescribe burns, to take whatever measures the Forest Service people on the ground think are necessary to prevent and control wildfires. The rule does not do what the Trump administration says it does.
Speaker 1: Doesn't.
Speaker 4: You can look at it, you can read it. Those exceptions are there. Pest control, same thing. You build roads. Guess what's going to happen. You bring cars and trucks and logging vehicles into those areas. They'll spread invasive species and pests all over the place. That's what the data shows. So no, the rule itself allows what's necessary. It doesn't allow industrial scale logging, which is what the administration wants, but it does allow sensible fire control measures.
Speaker 2: Revoking this rule is the greatest threat, you know, destroying the beautiful forests or is it the habitat and endangered species? I mean, what's the greatest threat?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I think the water supply situation is the one to really focus on. And if you're thinking about all the forest lands in the Western United States, is water a.
Speaker 1: Problem out there right now? It sure is. So this is really the hidden cost of what's being.
Speaker 4: Proposed, because again, when you have intact watersheds right that are fully functional ecologically, that means your water supply is more reliable.
Speaker 1: What are trees? After all? They are enormous straws.
Speaker 4: They take up water, they release water, They are part of the hydrologic system of the Western United States. So you want to road these areas, log these areas, spread herbicides and pesticides and firefighting chemicals all over the place into these areas that don't need it. Right now, and you are going to really impact water supply. So you know, the impetus for the rule primarily was not water supply and water protection when it was started. I mean, that was part of it, but it wasn't the central part of it. Now the administration is talking about, well, conditions have changed on the western landscape. Well, hell, yes, they've changed. Climate change is driving these catastrophic wildfires and water loss, interruption of snowpack.
Speaker 1: And all the rest.
Speaker 4: So you know, at a time when we desperately need functioning ecosystems, they want to tear them apart.
Speaker 2: This rule goes to public comment for thirty days, but does the Trump administration ever follow the public comments.
Speaker 1: No, it's all for show.
Speaker 4: And by the way, the original rule, the public comment period was sixty days, twice what this one is, and there were over four hundred public meetings. And by the way, I argued the roadless rule in the Ninth Circuit.
Speaker 1: So the reason I get.
Speaker 4: Kind of worked up about these issues is because it's personal, you know. So Anyway, when we were doing the research on the argument in the ninth Circuit back in two thousand.
Speaker 1: And two, we found out all these facts.
Speaker 4: So there was an enormous amount of public outreach in participation before that rule was finally adopted. This one is being ramrodded through the process, and I predict the courts are going to see that, and you know, the administration is going to have a very hard time justifying what they're doing. You know, we've had decades of litigation. About a dozen lawsuits have been brought against the roadless Rule. The first one is the one I argued back in two thousand and two, but since then there've been countless as all of these issues have been thrashed out in the courts.
Speaker 1: And guess what, no court has ever permanently.
Speaker 4: Enjoined the roadless Rule. It has survived multiple attacks. I think it's going to survive this one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Earth Justice, Drew Caputo, vice president of Litigation, said, Earth Justice has successfully defended the roadless Rule in court for decades. Nothing will stop us from taking up that fight again. And I as we say, it'll end up in court because they'll try to push this through.
Speaker 4: You know, when the Forest Service put out it's what they call the notice of intent to prepare an environmental impact statement.
Speaker 1: This was within the last year.
Speaker 4: They've got almost a million comments just on that, and the Force Service said this in the draft impact statements that they've now issued, they acknowledged ninety nine percent of the comments oppose repealing the rule. That tells you the battles to come are going to be ferocious. These places have you know, very very loyal, intense supporters, and you know this will not stand according to the people that love and care about these places.
Speaker 2: But the governors of Montana, Utah, and Wyoming praised the repeal of the rule.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, well those are Maga Republicans, So okay, I'm not surprised by that. I would like to know what the people of Montana feel in terms of what their support for public lands and these areas are.
Speaker 1: So it'll be divided.
Speaker 4: I understand that there is you know, high emotions on both sides of this kind of an issue.
Speaker 1: Right There are people that want the control.
Speaker 4: Over these lands, you know, people who want to exploit them, but you know also people that just don't like the federal government period. So you know, those are ideological cultural arguments. I'm just addressing the legal aspects of the case, and the rule is on absolutely solid legal ground, and the proposal to repeal it is not on solid legal ground.
Speaker 2: Are they moving faster in the second administration? Are they better prepared this time around?
Speaker 4: I think they're showing what I would call facile sophistication. Okay, I mean, so the USDA, which oversees the Forest Service, is articulating this policy decision, as the president has the power to change policies regarding management of national forests. That is true, and they're trying to say this is just returning control to the local Forest Service officials, right So on the surface it sounds awful rational, But here's the thing. What they're not saying is what has the rule really done to make forest management more difficult?
Speaker 1: They don't make a strong case, in my view, for that.
Speaker 4: There are six hundred district rangers, so this idea of returning control to those people, that's what they're talking about, these Forest Service district rangers, right, Well, that means there are going to be six hundred different decision makers, and that just means you're going to have more conflict, more controversy, more litigation because you're dispersing the decision making authority across a huge landscape, and each one of these individual rangers is going to be trying to figure out what am I supposed to be doing without national guidance. Without any national guidance, I'm supposed to figure out whether to put a road.
Speaker 1: In here or not.
Speaker 4: So I don't think the rationale that this is just you know, returning control where it belongs, is going to pass muster.
Speaker 1: It's going to lead to more chaos, more conflicts.
Speaker 2: During his first administration, how much did he make in ways into you know, opening up the national forests.
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 4: I mean, this was not a major impetus of his first administration. I mean, there are lots of things that this is all goes back to the Project twenty twenty five textbook or rule book. And so he's paying heed to the Western constituents that he has. And there are obviously a lot of very strong Republican states and districts in the West, and they've had a long term fractious relationship with government. You know, federal agencies that manage public lands, you know, they like the idea of having public lands. They just want to be able to exploit them more than the Forest Service has been allowing like this rule. So you know that's what he's playing to now. It's a shrinking base, but it's still strong enough that it controls his policy making.
Speaker 2: The Trump administration has taken many steps to reshape and shrink the scope of federal environmental protection. Each of those steps has been met with a flood of legal challenges from companies, environmental groups, and state officials. So far this summer, the Trump administration has been losing more than it's been winning in court. Over the past three months, federal courts nationwide have delivered rulings in several cases centered on attempts by the EPA to terminate billions of dollars in climate grants and roll back Biden era air policies, and in more than half of those cases, the judges have decided against the agency. Some of those lawsuits remain unresolved, and the EPA is looking to appeal some of the cases at lost. According to an EPA spokesperson, the Trump EPA is committed to following the law, and courts have affirmed our rules and actions in a variety of contexts. These wins rarely get the same attention in the media as short term losses. I've been talking to environmental law professor Pat Parento of the Vermont Law and Graduate School pat Do you see any pattern in these losses by the EPA.
Speaker 4: You know, the cases that have succeeded have all dealt with whether or not there's any merit to what the administration is doing in freezing and canceling funding. And by the way, a lot of these funds have actually been deposited in banks, and so they issued orders against the banks dispersing the money they're under contract. You would think that an administration would honor, you know, the contracts that the government has entered into. Maybe they wouldn't enter into any more of those kinds of contracts. But having done so, what kind of trust does that build in government decision making. The cases that have lost, by the way, have lost on jurisdictional grounds. In other words, the judges have said, these kinds of cases don't.
Speaker 1: Belong in my court.
Speaker 4: They belong in what's called the Court of Federal Claims, because they should be brought under what's called the Tucker Act, right, which does vest this particular court of claims with exclusive jurisdiction when you're trying to recover money from the federal government. So there is this thorny court sort of jurisdictional question of where do these cases belong, But that doesn't mean that the claims that the government has unlawfully breached these contracts in these agreements, that doesn't mean that they're wrong. It just means you should be going to a different court to lay your case right. And then of course there's Congress coming into the picture and saying, in some instances, yeah, we agree that what the Biden administration did with these grant programs is wrong, and we're going.
Speaker 1: To repeal them going forward.
Speaker 4: But that's a prospective kind of change.
Speaker 1: So there you are.
Speaker 2: I mean, did the Biden administration follow the rules they did?
Speaker 4: As far as I know it, Nobody, you know, the Trump administration is not saying, or if they are, I don't think they've got a court to agree that what the Biden administration did was illegal. They're just simply saying, we don't agree with it, and we don't want this money being spent on renewables and environmental justice and climate justice. We don't want that kind of DEI woke kind of expenditures being made, and so we're going to stop them. And as usual, they're going to say, if the courts try to stop us, we'll just keep appealing until we run out of the appeals that we can have.
Speaker 2: So in these instances, instead of you know, proposing a new rule and going through a noticing comment and all that, they just try to find a different way. How long does it take for the government, the federal government to put a rule in usually like how much time are we talking about that they're trying to.
Speaker 4: Say it can easily be a year, Oh key, if you really follow all the steps that are required a year or more on a big rule, it could be multiple years, right for these kinds of decisions, though, you know, you could you could probably do this in six months, but you would have to allow comment. You know, there's a lot of different steps. There's a Regulatory Flexibility Act that requires an economic analysis when you propose a rule, and you'd have to notice it in the Federal Register and allow comments. So yeah, I mean there are steps that you know, this administration doesn't want to take. But if they wanted to do a lot of the things they're doing, if they follow the process, cross the t's and dot the iss they could probably do a lot more, not as fast as they want to, and maybe not as much, you know, given the fact that they're already two years in to their term. Almost they wouldn't be able to accomplish as much, perhaps, but you know that's the law.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The EPA has had more success in court with smaller deregulatory moves and going back to the roadless rule for a moment, and the Trump administration's attempt to open up the forest to roads and commercial logging, et cetera. Are they moving faster in the second administration? Are they better prepared this time around?
Speaker 4: I think they're showing what I would call facile sophistication. Okay, I mean, so the USDA, which oversees the Forest Service, is articulating this policy decision, as the president has the power to change policies regarding management.
Speaker 1: Of national forests. That is true, And they're.
Speaker 4: Trying to say this is just returning control to the local Forest Service officials, right, So on the surface it sounds awful rational. But here's the thing. What they're not saying is what has the rule really done to make forest management more difficult?
Speaker 1: They don't make.
Speaker 4: A strong case in my view for that. There are six hundred district rangers. So this idea, idea of returning control to those people, that's what they're talking about these Forests Service district rangers right, well, that means there are going to be six hundred different decision makers, and that just means you're going to have more conflict, more controversy, more litigation because you're dispersing the decision making authority across a huge landscape, and each one of these individual rangers is going to be trying to figure out what am I supposed to be doing without national guidance. Without any national guidance, I'm supposed to figure out whether to put a road in here or not. So I don't think the rationale that this is just you know, returning control where it belongs, is going to pass muster. It's going to lead to more chaos, more conflicts.
Speaker 2: During his first administration, how much did he make in ways into you know, opening up the national forests.
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 4: I mean this was not a major impetus of his first administration. I mean there are lots of things that this is all goes back to the Project twenty twenty five textbook or rule book. And so he's paying heed to the western constituents that he has, and they're obviously a lot of very strong Republican states and districts in the West, and they've had a long term fractious relationship with government. You know, federal agencies that manage public lands. You know that they like the idea of having public lands. They just want to be able to exploit them more than the Forest Service has been allowing like this rule.
Speaker 1: So you know that's what he's playing to.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: It's a shrinking base, but it's it's still strong enough that it controls his policy making.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Pat, as always, that's Professor Pat Parento of the Vermont Law and Graduate School. It was a year ago that a DC resident became a symbol of the resistance to the hundreds of National Guard troops and federal law enforcement agents on the streets of the city. A video of Sean Charles Dunn tossing a subway sandwich at an ice officer went viral, and then there were the banksy style posters of him tossing the sub along with free DC sandwich themed flags, t shirts, and tote bags. While DCUs attorney Jeanine Piro decided to put out her own video bragging about charging done a decorated Air Force veteran with a felony for tossing the sandwich.
Speaker 6: And then he took a subway sandwich about this big and took it and threw it at the officer.
Speaker 1: He thought it was funny.
Speaker 6: Well, he doesn't think it's funny today because we charged it with a felony assault on a police officer, and we're going to back the police to the hilt. So there, stick your subway sandwich somewhere else.
Speaker 2: But those charges didn't stick. A grand jury refused to return a felony indictment, and at trial a jury acquitted done of even a misdemeanor charge. But the case has had a lasting effect on him. He lost his job and had to leave DC because of threats to him and his family. His case is in an aberration. In the weeks that followed, federal prosecutors in DC flooded the US District Court with twenty seven cases charging people with assaults on federal officers, only to ultimately dismiss the vast majority of them. Joining me is Keith Alexander, editor at Lodge at Bloomberg Law. Keith explained what happened to the charges against Dunn.
Speaker 5: Prosecutors initially charged Sean Carlls Dunn with fell in the assault on an officer when he threw his thirty sandwich from subway restaurant at a customs patrol officer. No surprise really that a grand jury refused to indict him on such a felony. So that caused the prosecutors to lower the charge to a misdemeanor, and they went the trial and after three days of testimony and actually a day and a half of the liberations, a jury found Sean Dunn not guilty of assault. I did speak to some jurors on that trial. They told me that while they did find that Dun did hit the officer with the sandwich, it did not rise to the level of the assault that was needed for a misdemeanor charge. And matter of fact, one juror said, this whole case was a bunch of baloneys.
Speaker 2: And Keith, you spoke to Dunn and he's not been having an easy time of it even though he was acquitted.
Speaker 5: It was a first interview that mister Dune has given since he went through all of this, and he's been pretty much in hiding since he was acquitted. Mister Dunn did lose his job as a paralegal. He worked for the Justice Department right after the arrest, and so I was thinking, well, you were acquitted, life is probably good for you. You lost your job, but you can find another one. Well that wasn't the case. Mister Dunne said that both he and his family received numerous threats. He has relocated outside of the Washington, DC area and out of fear, he refused to say where he is now. He is considering following a lawsuit against both the federal government and Washington d C because d C refused to pay him unemployment. So he has now struggling trying to find a new world, if you will, in this post acquittal life.
Speaker 2: He's starting all over again. Basically, he lost.
Speaker 5: His pension after working for the federal government for over eleven years. He was in Washington, d C. For about four years. Yes, he is starting all over again.
Speaker 2: This was one of twenty seven cases that federal prosecutors in DC brought charging people with assaults on federal officers, which can carry years in prison. You looked into this, tell us what happened to those cases.
Speaker 5: Well, actually what happened was federal prosecutors actually brought a total of twenty seven cases between August and as of a few weeks ago of people who were charged with assaulting federal officers. Twenty three of those twenty seven cases were filed literally within two or three months of each other. So between August, September and October, the courthouse was flooded with all of these assault on federal officer charges for about two or three months. What happened during this time defense attorneys pushed back. Defense attorneys basically said that although President Trump ordered members of the National Guard to come into the streets of Washington, DC to reduce crime, assault on a National Guard officer is not an assault on a federal officer because National Guards members are not federal officers. Also, assault on a DC police officer, despite the fact that this was part of a federal church, is not a federal offense. And so for two or three months you had defense attorneys and judges trying to figure out, why are these cases in federal court? These are not federal assault cases. And as you point out June, these federal cases, if convicted, these individuals would have faced years in prison. And so what happened after a few months, the prosecutors began dismissing these cases as a matter of fact, they dismissed eighteen of the twenty seven cases. Now the defendent penders are trying to get some of those cases expunged, trying to get people to have the cases totally erased from their record, and for whatever reason at the time, the prosecutors refused.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 5: Well, we soon learned why the prosecutors dismissed the federal charges and they lowered downgrade the charges to miss demeanors in a DC Superior court a lower court. So a lot of those cases that were dismissed, those eighteen cases are now active cases in DC Superior Court.
Speaker 2: As you wrote, a magistrate judge criticized the US Attorney's office during a September hearing for filing and dismissing so many cases in the federal courthouse because they were clogging up the court. Is that what he was concerned about, or more about the rights of the people involved.
Speaker 5: Actually, it was both. Josh Charbo said that it was becoming evident that the prosecutors were just following these cases without knowing d C law. So I spoke to one of the defense attorneys. That's that's what she said, that you had all these new prosecutors who came in to the US Attorney's office because there was a high turnover of prosecutors veteran prosecutors who left the office, and these new prosecutors did not know DC law, did not no federal law, and they were just following these cases. And the judge was like, these cases are not going to stick. You don't have enough evidence. And as I said earlier, the led victims are not federal officers, so these are not federal assault charges. You're clogging up my courtouse. And so between the judge saying that and the defense attorneys pushing back saying the individuals who were, unlesslie assaulted were not federal officers. Now, let's talk about some of these assaults, Jude, if we can. When I went through these cases, majority of these cases were headbutts, spitting, kicking, grabbing chest bumps during the course of an arrest, where I'm sure your listeners know when people are being arrested, there's this push and take, and if someone pulls away and as they're pulling away their elbow hits the officer, they were being charged with federal assault on an officer. That was the majority of these cases that were ultimately dismissed.
Speaker 2: On August twenty second, thirty two year old Crystal Rios Esquavelle wanted to see a new bird exhibit at the National Zoo and went in through the wrong door. Tell us what happened to.
Speaker 5: Her, so mits Rios has you know, she's in her thirties. She has suffered from anxiety and traumas to have been treated since she was fifteen sixteen years of age, and she went to the National Zoos on a nice August day and inadvertently went into a door that had employees only. She said she did not see the employee only sign. She heard a buzzer go off. As soon as the buzzer went off, she immediately exited and as she was exiting the door, officers came and then she found herself surrounded not by one or two, but three officers, and one of the officers lunged at her and tried to grab it. She said, please don't touch me because I am dealing with anxiety, and they did not take into it, and they grabbed her. She spat on one of the officers and then she hit one of the officers. She was then charged with assault on a federal officer. Now again, these are DC officers, and she should not have been charged with a federal offense involving DC officers. That case was initially charged in federal court. For about a week, Miss Reel sat in DC jail, mainly because the paperwork pretty much got lost. Her attorney had to file and emergency request with the judge, and at the end of the following she put the word help HGLP all in the capital letters and exclamation points, the words helped me get my clients out of jail who's been sitting there for four or five days on a charge of spitting on an officer. The case was ultimately dismissed and then it was rebrought as a misdemeanor in superior courts and she was able to enter in a divergence program, which a lot of these misdemeanter cases ultimately go to a diversion program, meaning if the defendant does X, Y, and Z, prosecutors will agree to dismiss all charges. Miss Reels went through a mental illness program where she got new medication therapy. She finished the program with flying colors. Prosecutors agreed to then dismiss the charge and Keith.
Speaker 2: I understand that some federal prosecutors in DC are starting to push back.
Speaker 5: These federal prosecutors have a license in Washington, DC to practice law. There is an outfit in DC that actually investigates both the fifth attorneys and prosecutors for unethical behavior i e. Bringing cases or hiding evidence or things of that nature that consider unethical, and if they are found to be unethical, these individuals could lose their bar license. New York Mayor Giuliani went through this, and so what we're founding is that these prosecutors who are on the front lines investigating these cases because their bosses are telling them to do so and file these charges, are now pushing back and saying, you won't lose your license. I work too hard to get my bar license here. If I bring these cases, I either Reflecting Pool in other cases, I could lose my bar license. And so I think we're now seeing some of these federal prosecutors who are pushing back and saying they are not going to push forward some of these cases. And we might have seen that with Reflecting Pool.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining me, Keith. Great story. That's Keith Alexander, Editor at Large at Bloomberg Law. And that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law podcasts. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot bloomberg dot com slash podcast Slash Law, And remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg