Speaker 1: We're already recording.
Speaker 2: Yes, a ship. Fuck, oh god, everybody's gonna find out.
Speaker 3: What was the drinks?
Speaker 2: I killed him? Kill the kill of course, weird guttural noises.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't even take a ship on your own.
Speaker 2: Murder that toilet, I'm doing it second, I killed them all. Of course I'm about the toilets. I just took a bass ship. Did you hear my stomach? Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three seventy two, Episode three of Dirties. I Guys Stay, production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. We have a YouTube channel YouTube slash at daily Zeitgeispot. You can go watch some of our episodes on YouTube. It is Thursday, January twenty third, twenty twenty five. My name is Jack O'Brien. Akas is like lightning and hand motions off, frightening. What the fuck are they doing? Oh that's right there?
Speaker 3: Wrong gluing, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that man he is back and launching his attack. Countries turn into a ball love shit, No rest and no quarter of those executive orders gonna turn us to a ball love shit, ball love shit. That one to ballroom Blitz courtesy of Halsey on sale on the disccord. Aka's coming in strong, very fun. Aka's in there despite the madness of the news cycle. Appreciate everyone who contributes, and thank you houseealing salad on the Discord. I am thrilled to be joined in our second seat once again, the Miles Seat, by a hilarious stand up comedian, writer, actor, improviser.
Speaker 3: It's Polo, It's me and I'm so excited to tell you guys, I am now part of Trump's cabinet.
Speaker 2: So that's oh my god. Congresations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're welcome for you. Yeah, I love it. I am releasing some sort of coin in the next few days. It's going to the moon. Everybody buy it. You're welcome. Nice And I'm never.
Speaker 2: Speaking to you yet, and that these will be the last words that you that you hear me speak. I would not yeah, if I if I just could get a meme coin doing Yeah, I would never fucking do this show ever. Again, that's not true. I love you guys, all right, Paula. We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a brilliant, excited and talented writer podcaster, producer who's written for publications like The New York Times and New York Or producer on Everybody's in La, one of my favorite shows of the last year. The co host of the legendary podcasts Girls and Hoodies and Night Call, the writer, creator and host of the wonderful podcast Heidi World, The Heidi Flight Story, and soon to be writer, creator and host of the legendary podcast Jenna World. About the character Jenna Moroney from thirty Rock. No, that's that's wrong. Please why as Jenna Jamison. Please welcome back to the show, Molly Labor.
Speaker 1: And check out my meme coin to start the meme coin. Yeah, the lambo coin.
Speaker 3: I love it, Lambeau coin. I thought you were going to say Jenna Marbles. I thought that's the Jenna, that it was going to be. Change to Jenna's what it just just be an all Jenna show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like Jamie Laptist could do a good sixteenth minute about Jenna Marbles. She canceled herself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that was like the best thing. She She was like, Hey, I have a lot to learn, and then she like left and was I assume learning because she got quiet and that was amazing. I'm like, I've never seen that before.
Speaker 1: She was like the most famous person on the internet. And then she was like, oh, you know what, by the way, I did a black face video and I'm just getting ahead of it and canceling myself.
Speaker 2: I did not know about Jenna Marbles.
Speaker 3: I used to watch her.
Speaker 2: She she early on.
Speaker 3: She was doing front facing YouTube videos, like very early, like I used to watch, and she had her one of her dogs was named Marbles. She had like a few dogs and stuff, and she would do things with like her boyfriend, like silly little pranks or cooking things or whatever.
Speaker 1: She truly built the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she invented YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she's very expressive and fun and whatever. And yeah, I guess it was in a time where she did she did blackface and then she, as she learned, didn't grow. She was like, hey, that was bad. Bye, I'm not gonna use my platform anymore.
Speaker 1: It's also she was like a like a white woman from Boston, blonde white woman from Boston, and then they any blond. I think she got hired at barstool, and then it's like Barstool's been trying to replicate it ever since with different other kind of like, Hey, I'm a drunk, blonde girl from Boston.
Speaker 2: We're going to put you in the marbles spot.
Speaker 1: Put you in the Jenna Marbles. Yeah, really good Boston accents.
Speaker 3: It's like how the Daily Wire keeps trying to get Ben Shapiro's face on their other legosts. Yeah, like Brett what's her name? She looks exactly like the female version of Ben Shapiro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of It makes you wonder if they're AI, you know, creations or not.
Speaker 3: But AI until proven otherwise, you know.
Speaker 2: That's right. That's why I'm going to go ahead and assume that after the Brutalist Oh my god, Yeah, a story I have not looked into at all. The headline and so maybe we talked about Actually all right, we'll talk about it today. All right, Molly, we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of things we're talking about today. Talk about the new Mission Impossible movie like almost giving someone a heart attack according to the director, just the history of movies killing people, and we might talk about cult movies, all of that plenty more. But first, Molly. We do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 1: Wow? Great question. I have been looking a lot at a reddit for influencers, even though I don't follow any influencers. I like to read people talking shit about influencers.
Speaker 3: It's like your reality TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was kind of following it in the last few days as they were like preparing for TikTok to shut down, and everybody was like, yeah, y have fuck fuck them, They're all gonna have to get real jobs. And then they were like just kidding, right, they don't.
Speaker 2: So these are people who like make fun of influencers or just like follow them. Like these they make.
Speaker 1: Fun of them. They they sort of follow them, but it's like they follow them with hate in their hearts.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, and you know, and a lot of them are.
Speaker 1: Just super like over consumption core. It feels like a symptom of a larger problem, which is that people are like, hey, these people are getting money the wrong way, which is like, well that's the only way, yeah, to get money.
Speaker 2: There's only wrong ways.
Speaker 3: It turns out, yeah, the I can't you get a good old job at raytheon like you used to, you know, work a nine to five for a weapons company.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's like we talk a lot about how social media from a consumption from a consumer standpoint is like designed to rob you of free will. Just it like sucks up your time and attention and it is all these apps designed to influence your your behavior in subtle and not so subtle ways. But like influencers are the patient zero of that.
Speaker 1: Like this, yeah, yeah, it does feel like whatever you thought about social media consumption, this is like the cigarette thing. It's like, oh, okay, you smoked all those cigarettes, now you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They maybe seemed fun at the time, but that it was a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Remember when they were like Instagram makes girls sad and we were like, no, what, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: No, watching influence like I followed the account influencers in the wild where it's just like people taking videos of influencers as they're taking videos of themselves in like these really weird settings and like doing weird, weird things. But yeah, just like you see it all the time. It feels very much like Black Mirror episode. I never feel more like on a Black Mirror episode than like seeing an influencer just like standing in a museum, like twerking on their head or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one time, Jack, and it was to show respect for the Mona Lisa.
Speaker 2: Mona hasn't seen shit like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she hasn't seen Yeah, we got to show, you know, those videos of people like showing their dogs things in their house they've never seen before. We got to do that with a Mona Lisa. I also think influencers, like or social media actually kills in like ways that we don't even think about. Like I remember when I was in the Bay Area, like on coltrain and stuff, they were talking about how people had taken selfies and fallen onto the tracks. Like that happens a surprising amount of time where people are trying to get content and then like fall off a cliff and like that's the end of it for them. That's also like a weirdly weird.
Speaker 2: Number one cause of death with gen Z.
Speaker 3: I don't think, no, that's guns, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: It's guns. Guns all the way down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And cigarettes again, yeah, are are they making a comeback?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh they made a big comeback. It was like vaping, they were all they were way down for a long time, and then vaping came back, and then people started going from vapes to cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Have you guys tried cigarettes? They're like analog vapes. Yeah, just like you suck the they hit so much harder and like you can smell the stuff.
Speaker 3: This is why I was so right as a child. They should have just made better tasting candy cigarettes and then we wouldn't have had these problems. Okay, just give people more candy.
Speaker 2: It's a good note for the cigarette industry. Or they should have taken over the food industry and made the food addictive instead. Oh wait, that is exactly a yeah, Molly. What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 1: Underrated? Uh god, I really didn't prepare this week. You'll be unlike every other time I've been on the show, and I prepared it really hard. Underrated coffee, analogue, analog television. I think just like watching a TV that's just telling you what you're going to watch and you don't have a choice. Underrated.
Speaker 2: It's so like that. My kids when we're like, oh, well we missed that thing that game or that, they're just like, what what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're like they're like, why can't I just take two hundred don't even know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't even know rewind. That's like a different They're like.
Speaker 2: Go back, it's not rewind. Just start it over. What are you talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can't just take two hundred episodes of Bluey to the Dome anymore. They have to even you gotta be like, remember we used to have to wait through commercials if we wanted to see our show.
Speaker 2: And I do want to thank that created a blue for raising my kids, because that's too hot.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: To the dome is everybody loves technique. It is pretty good. My kids really like advertising. I wonder if this is a thing anyone else is seeing what they're kids where Like they will if I'm watching a sporting event, they will ignore the sporting event, But then when the ads come on, they come over because they're like little little movies and also things that like they've never been exposed to anywhere else, you know, like video movies, like little video ads, or just like new like kind of a novelty to them.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting how new advertising sucks, but if you watch old commercials, that's fun.
Speaker 2: They're fucking great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll get caught up in it.
Speaker 2: Wow, do you remember that they suck?
Speaker 1: There's like all these there's like YouTube videos where they just will show you like three hours of Nickelodeon programming from nineteen ninety five or something with commercials.
Speaker 3: The children yearn for the commercials.
Speaker 2: They yearn for the minds, Yeah, the commercial minds.
Speaker 3: I think commercials used to be like way more. I think everything used to be way more fun and interesting, and now it's just like quantity over quality. I think I think it's good that it's not as gate kept, but I also am like, oh there, I do have some nostalgia for like some of the more connected shows or commercials.
Speaker 1: Or whatever gives your brain a chance to rest between Louise Yeah, get a key break, Yeah, you need it.
Speaker 2: Because that Bluie stuff is dense.
Speaker 1: Get a little peanut butter Cracker.
Speaker 3: The House of Cards for kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna start killing off characters in this next season. I hear we got pushed onto Yeah it will we The ads, the modern ads will start getting better once everybody starts just remixing old ads with AI like Coke did with their holiday commercial, and then we'll be in good shape. I don't know. Did you see that the AI holiday coke commercial?
Speaker 1: Molly, Oh yeah, I was so mad about that.
Speaker 3: It just I like, I like looked at it and then I'm like avoiding everything AI. Like, I'm just like looking away as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't do it my eyes. Like the Ark of the Covenant, so many.
Speaker 3: People fell for like the Hollywood sign being on fire. It was crazy. Oh yeah, like my small like friends that I trust, and I'm like, I don't trust anything that I see online anymore. I'm like, I don't know, I feel like a boomer. I'm like, I have no idea what this is, if this is real or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like Isabella Russellini posting that Oscar in the in the ashes of a house.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I looked at that and I was like, this doesn't feel right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Sent me was it? Oh it was, but it was really her just getting fooled by AI.
Speaker 1: I assume, So unless she knew it was AI and was just the whole thing was some people don't care. Yeah, yeah, but there is always something it's interesting that it makes your brain go like there's something off here. Oh, it's talk about the brutalist.
Speaker 2: Doing it yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They they like fixed their Hungarian accents with AI. Okay, and they did all the architectural drawings for AI.
Speaker 3: They were like Adrian a creativity, Yeah, yeah, can't. They were like, the Hungarian accent is too complex. Adrian Brodie like, he can try as hard as he can, but you can't like just fake it and you're like the original.
Speaker 2: Accent that he was doing before it got fixed.
Speaker 3: By doing like the Bain accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just everybody knows.
Speaker 1: He also put out a clarification saying that he wasn't like like booted. He wasn't banned from SNL for that. He's just never been asked back again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is so funny.
Speaker 3: What about the polli halle Berry without the consent?
Speaker 1: That still haunts me. I was thinking about how he's like the old school Timothy Shallome. He's like a guy who plays you know, artsy guys and movies, and so people think he's artsy, but he's just like a dumb white guy who loves rap.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So first fella for people who don't live in the middle of the entertainment industry, so might not know. The Brutalist is a movie that is one of the like three favorites for Best Picture Oscar this year? Is that probably about right? It's like top five, it's supposed to be nominated for Best Pictures.
Speaker 1: Well they already, I think voting is over. So people were also like, oh, this is coming out about the AI after voting is over already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the announcement is like happening soon.
Speaker 1: But also I guess it's in the credits. It says in the credits that.
Speaker 3: To our our AI overlords, we'd like to specially acknowledge this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you to AI. Adrian Brody didn't even know he was in the movie, but that's how a.
Speaker 3: Brody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like a three and a half hour long historical period piece about a real architect that sounds like it's.
Speaker 1: It's not a real architect. I think it's a composite of real.
Speaker 3: Architects' AI architects too, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And it's sort of I haven't seen my.
Speaker 3: Desk does the Thano snap and just melts away in front of me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I haven't seen it, but I've heard a lot of people tell me their opinions on it for a very long time.
Speaker 2: They like it, right, like I feel like it.
Speaker 1: No, I've heard people. Several people I know hated it. Okay, some of my friends hated it because they said the second part of it, which is supposed to take place in Pennsylvania, it's like he builds a city in a brutalist city in Pennsylvania. And they were like, it was clearly Eastern Europe, not really not rural Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, I'm just gonna throw this out there. I didn't see Appenheimer, and I'm my tolerance for white people filled movies that are three hours long, its fading.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I try.
Speaker 1: The other thing people are mad about about The Brutalist is that it's sort of about Zionism, but it's unclear what its take on Zionism is. Wait, like, how is that because it's like the characters are again, I haven't seen The Brutalist. This is just other people telling me about it and me telling you kind of like AI, it's like about Holocaust escapees. He escapes the Holocaust and then he becomes an architect and then he is part of he is a Zionist. The character, oh, it doesn't. But it was unclear whether it was endorsing the idea that he's a Zionist, or sort of critiquing the idea that he's been traumatized so he becomes someone who traumatizes people. And then the director said something at an award show that made people think, oh, it's actually anti Zionist. It's actually about how Zionism happens. But it's not endorsing Zius, which I wasn't think people are really confused about. Oh, it showed something, it must be endorsing. It is about this thing. It must be pro like you know the movie Taxi Driver must pro taxi driver.
Speaker 2: Taxi drivers. This is just an ad for what a great job it is to be a taxi driver. You can be a hero.
Speaker 3: Bob Propaganda Day.
Speaker 2: Adrian Brody The Adrian Brody s an L sketch. Just for people who aren't aware of that, you can google it. But basically he insisted on doing a Rastafarian character. SNL was like, you may not, and then he snuck it in while introducing a art like a the musical guest. At one point he did it as a Rastafarian character and they were like, well, you were like a hat you were yeah, you were a wig.
Speaker 3: But also like what a weird choice.
Speaker 2: He just had this accent that he was dying to die on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he must be. I feel like he's so annoying like to be around. I feel like he thinks, he said, you know those actors who think they're like really funny. They think that, like sounds are funny all the time. I feel like he's one of those.
Speaker 2: My first jot out of school was pool Boy at the Soho House, the first Soho House in New York.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you slut Jack, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wow. And I waited on a number of famous people and Philip Seymour Hoffman was really nice and cool, and Adriaan Brodie had like a little dog in his coat that he like pulled out like and kept it in his hand and like ordered in the first person plural and was like, we're just not feeling like ourselves today. But like, wow again, I did like a voice and stuff.
Speaker 1: Original tip just for people are like that guy is in smart movies about smart things. He must be a smart person. He's like an artsy indie guy. And then it's like, no, he is a dumb dummy.
Speaker 3: He's an actor, So what is dumb about? Shallow I know everybody's like people were dating Kylie and like yeah, yeah, but there's no evidence that he's smart.
Speaker 1: No, just because he's in like, uh, you know the what's that movie called The Way? Yeah, he's he's just.
Speaker 2: No, that's not it. That's a different Dylan.
Speaker 3: He's lots another spider Man movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get spider Man and Bob Dylan confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. They both have a secret identity.
Speaker 3: Take their name. The real one has that voice, Bobby spider Man, Rob Bob.
Speaker 2: Dylan spider Man.
Speaker 3: I met I met Timothy's Chalamese sister who is on Sex Lives of College Girls at brunch one time because my friends and I just went to brunhs and I brought my dogs and she was very nice to my dogs.
Speaker 2: So damn we are. I feel like Molly's met so many like famous people and like interviewed them like professionally, like worked with them, and so I feel like I'm just dropping the people that I like met at the Soho House fifteen years ago because.
Speaker 3: It's really cooler. My dogs met her and I was just there holding on to the lead.
Speaker 1: You like, we are very happy to meet you, Like you're so excited yeah, Victor pointed out, it's just because Timothy Sealmy was like, call me by your name. He's in Ladybird. He's in all these art house movies, and so people think he must be an art house guy.
Speaker 2: And it plays a dunce in uh Ladybird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Timothy and also like, don't look up he played he played a weird character.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's his super fan, Club Shallome. I love the club shallow may I love this this she lost her house in the fires. Yeah, so prayers up for Club Shallome.
Speaker 3: But she was like some shrowsionist, right, oh really.
Speaker 1: She was also like she thought that him dating Kylie was like a pyop, Like he's doing.
Speaker 3: It because you are in love with him, Yeah, but also.
Speaker 1: Because she's like that's not his type. He would never date that type of girl.
Speaker 3: And does she like cut him out of She's also like way older than him, which is so funny.
Speaker 1: We're also like, have you ever met like art school guys, Like they date regular hot girls. They don't necessarily date cool smart art girls.
Speaker 2: What they're doing for in some cases, Yeah, he's a he's an actor, is just a bro.
Speaker 1: He's just a bro.
Speaker 2: He's just love football. He like everybody like who's yeah, and like he keeps going on these like sports shows and people killing Oh my god, he like knows stuff. He like really pays the time. By the way, convincing people that you know sports is the easiest thing. You have to listen to like two podcasts and then you're you're good. You can you can seem really smart on sports. Not saying he's not, but I'm just saying it's pretty easy to just steal takes.
Speaker 1: I watch inside the NBA now and I'm an expert on basketball.
Speaker 2: You gotta come on foremost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give me, oh yeah, name three basketballs.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, And Molly was able to name three basketballs during the break. Was actually really fucking impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Charles Barkley. Three times.
Speaker 2: We didn't do an overrated Do you do you have something you thinks overrated?
Speaker 1: Ma? Overrated email? I think bring back the postal service.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love sending postcards and letters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like. And now it's like I'm disappointed my mail is all junk all the time. I would prefer I get real mail, and uh, I don't need email. It's ninety it's also tinety nine percent junk.
Speaker 2: Capitalism really just breaks everything, just ruins everything moves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait, let's just wait, I haven't. Let's just do it a little bit more and see if it works out.
Speaker 2: Let's just do capitalist. I was just thinking about like how bad the internet, like just like shopping for something online and like that they're like the first five results if you're shopping for something.
Speaker 1: Well, I hate now how they've made it so when you google anything, the AI results come up first.
Speaker 2: God. Yeah, yeah, I have an in today's episode of this it's so faciating.
Speaker 1: Because I don't and then like ever and there's no way to turn it off, and people don't notice, like people just because it looks like just the regular answers or like an article or something, so people I don't know. And also like creeping the Wikipedia. Yeah, just information and scraping it and getting something partially wrong.
Speaker 2: Usually, if we could like take today's Internet and show it to ourselves in the year two thousand and eight, we would be like, what happened? What's the I think is this?
Speaker 3: I think we'd be like, oh my god, we live in smart house and I feel like people pay attention to that movie. It was ahead of its time.
Speaker 2: It's everything, so you just have to like, I mean, there are tricks for getting around it, but like it is by default just coming out.
Speaker 1: I have an idea to rebuild society, which is to go take it back to nineteen ninety nine, the last good year. I think it's it's just y two k rebuild plan.
Speaker 3: But like with the progressive social stances we have now, yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe like two thousand and three. I think it's like I want to cap it at digital cameras, yes, cell phones, but no smartphones.
Speaker 2: Right, which seem to be the direction things are headed.
Speaker 3: I watched this clip of Cameron Diaz talking about how she was on a press tour for Charlie's Angels with Drew Barrymore and Lucy Lou and they land in Japan and everybody's holding up phones and they were like, what are they doing? And they were, and the person that they were with was like, they're taking pictures of you. They can do it on their phones. And they all have like the realization at the same time that they like it's over for them, like they'll never have a moment of peace again or be able to do anything without somebody knowing, like they all discovered camera phones at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then Cameron Diaz retired wisely, she just retired, but she retired for a long time. She did the Jena Marbles. She was like, you know what, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I made the men love that.
Speaker 2: Cameron is actually short for camera phone, that is. Yeah. I still remember I like pitch. I worked for my job after a pool boy, the Soho House was like working for ABC News, and I pitched a story about like how guys like we're gonna have phones, We're gonna have cameras fucking everywhere, Like think about how weird that's gonna be. And they're like, yeah, I don't know, man, this doesn't seem like a news story. Get the fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time I saw somebody use a digital camera and show me, like, look, you can see what the picture looks like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, like what you see it immediately.
Speaker 1: It does make you feel like we had to walk eight miles through the snow telling people like no, you had to go develop the photos and you didn't know if any of them would turn out even like vaguely good or even just like you could see them. Some of them would just be bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so crazy because I was born in twenty fourteen, so like my mom, her ultrasound was an iPhone.
Speaker 1: Of course you went to the three D sound imaging at the Galleria.
Speaker 2: I'm always like, Molly, thank you so much, always such great, underrated over it as search history, never having once prepared.
Speaker 1: It's only me looking around my apartment.
Speaker 3: Kaiser so saying it.
Speaker 2: Yea coffee cup. Oh wow, for the second time in a row, coffee cup as well. He's underrated, underrated.
Speaker 1: This chopped fruit.
Speaker 2: I'm eating for chopped fruit really when you think about it, all right, real quick, just a fond farewell to the to the Biden administration for people as we're like looking at this new authoritarian administration that is just that we love and pledge that we love you exactly dearly, and also watching people's reaction to it, because I do feel like it's been kind of interesting, slash surprising, slash terrifying to see the way the New York Times and like other mainstream media outlets have like really kind of gotten on board, like they will give Trump executive orders the benefit of the doubt. The way they like describe them, they will just in the dreams of the logic that he would want you to use.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at how they covered the genocide in Palestine. Like they've never been a democrat, liberal rag, They've always been right center, right way.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, wait you Jack said you worked at New York Times or you wrote for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did work at the New York Times, and I did have an honest insider scoop. I mean, it's like they don't want to change. I have known people who worked there who were progressive and who really were like, we're gonna make it better, We're going to fix it, and then you find out it's like unfixable purpose and like not not just by a not just through incompetence, which there's also just a ton of incompetence and no communication between any of the departments, which seems crazy for something that is such a high level thing. The Washington Post also got rid of the democracy to Die in Darkness slogan last week.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh my god, did it die in darkness?
Speaker 1: I had a profile, I had an interview killed with a Flint Water activist because they said it was too leftist. Basically m hmm, because she called the one she called someone who was responsible for the Flint water crisis a fascist, and they were like, you can't, we can't print that. I was like, okay, we'll take that. I guess we'll take that out, even though she's totally right. And they were like no, no, no, we're just we can't.
Speaker 2: We can't run it. Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 3: Place, and we're too afraid of these fascists. We cannot run this story. These fascists are again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That was when I was like, oh, they don't. It is like it's it's bad on purpose, and like everything is just money, money, money, money makes it bad, and they destroyed journalism on purpose so they could make it so we all had to get our news from Instagram, where they are gonna give us misinformation. It's bad, y'all.
Speaker 3: Are you a recommendation from your former boss? You're like, hey, this is awkward. I hope you didn't listen to.
Speaker 2: All right, shit, another another fire happening right now, so I'm I know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Checking notifications too. It's up in Lake Hughes. I saw it in front of me, like right before this podcast. Jump from fifty acres to five hundred and then they have evacuation zones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I hope everybody's stand safe out there. Know about you guys, but I'm literally texting.
Speaker 3: When it's hailing fire. You know, it's different change.
Speaker 1: I am so tired and it's exhausting.
Speaker 3: Where where So well, I don't want to doxy right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not in like, but you know, just I I think, uh, in general, everybody in Los Angeles is so drained recent events that the inauguration was not even top of mind for us. Now the hell world that we live in.
Speaker 3: We've got people are just trying to survive. I went to my acting class yesterday because I'm an actor, and two of my friend's houses had burned down, like their family homes from in Altadena. It's I think they're still in shock, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I think people are still in the processing. No one's turned the corner yet and it's still happening. So but I was like getting work emails that were like, hey, hope you're alive, You're going to hit that deadline, and.
Speaker 2: That hope everyone's safe. Just like I do feel like we.
Speaker 1: Should just be getting paid for disaster relief. Like I feel like we should just not have to work and be getting money again like we did during lockdown, because it does feel insane that anyone is supposed to be working right now because everyone is.
Speaker 2: Going through it. Yeah, yeah, it is. It's rough out there. On the subject of people like kind of missing the inauguration for for like like I.
Speaker 1: Can't truly like I can't. I don't have the bandwidth to think about the Nazi salute thing, like it's just but I wanted.
Speaker 2: To ask that. Have you guys felt like nobody knows about that?
Speaker 1: No, I feel like it's all over the place.
Speaker 2: I do too, But then when I tell people surprised anyone.
Speaker 3: Are you telling people in LA because we, like I think all of LA is just exhausted on it. I'll tell you, like other people are paying attention God if I just.
Speaker 1: Jump, I'll tell you what I heard recently that this was before any of this was happening, before for the the climate collapse or the inauguration. But somebody told me somebody who is a a first person source met somebody who works for I'm not even going to say his name in case he's got some kind of Google name alters the Nazi that his plan then he tells everybody around him is that they're going to colonize Mars by twenty fifty with a Noah's Arc spaceship, which will be full of I am imagining just white people to restart society.
Speaker 2: So I think the.
Speaker 3: Ocean Gate Ocean Gate, I was like.
Speaker 1: I mean truly, like, I think that that nobody has ever said like, no, you're not bro like, that's not that's not going to happen. Good like that, good love for them. Yeah, but it's just like their plan is straight up to like, you up whatever's left of the Earth and then abandon its fucking and go restart society on Mars. I do find some comfort in knowing that all their brains will shrink on the voyage to Mars, and then I'll get this thing called space madness that people get when on long space voyages that they have not figured out a work around for. I don't know. I am also much like the guy and the brutalist. I am related to a bunch of Holocaust escape bees and also not escape bees who did not get to escape, and so I have to just be like, well, look what happened to the first Nazis. I gotta be like something bad's gonna happen to all of them. They're gonna be in the Hague. I gotta just believe that because anything else is too depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's fucking wild. And as much as it's like everywhere, I still feel like it's not at enough of a store, Like it's just so wild to me.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this is part of their plan, though, is to just exhaust people, and you know, as they say, like flood the zone with shit is what they say as their tactic, and so I think they want everyone to feel exhausted and overwhelmed. And I think it is just making me be like, I hate social media. Social media is making me feel insane and bad and I don't want to look at it. And we're all going to have to leave and get offline and meet in the park wherever it's not on fire.
Speaker 3: Right Okay, I know we're not in the work of media part right now, But I will say something that made me feel a little bit better this week was I watched Roywood Junior Special and I love him. I think he's very funny and also a good dude. And it was very funny, but also it had a really great message about connecting, connecting to people and like like having community, and I think that's what we need to lead into. And that's the thing that's giving me hope is like how LA has come together and like donated all this stuff and just like taking care of each other. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is like extremely nice, especially because I like get such a bad rap as a place where everybody's like, oh, we're isoleted in our cars and all we can not to say that. I don't know plenty of people who are just like, what about my career right? Nobody cares.
Speaker 3: But I've become a fire influencer, so like I'm just like taking selfies in front of the fires.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 3: To monetize.
Speaker 1: I did see some videos of people dancing in front of the fires on the influencer, so I bred it.
Speaker 3: And when the coup happened and that woman happened to be dancing in front.
Speaker 1: Of it, yeah.
Speaker 3: That was crazy.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take one more break and we'll come back and hit a couple of stories. We'll be right back, and we're back. And so during a recent interviews, I guess the Last Mission Impossible movie is coming out soon or you know they're starting to show it to audiences and focus groups. And Christopher macquarie, writer of Usual Suspects, director of most of the other Mission Impossible movies, claimed that one of the members of an advanced screening almost had a heart attack during one exciting sequence, which sounds like just a offhand comment, but this is actually a marketing tool that movies have been using for a long time. Like the Terrifier movie bragged that they made people like faint and throw up, and same goes with The Green Inferno. Did you watch the Terrifiers?
Speaker 3: Okay, we went and saw the Terrifier movie and had you watched No, we just watched Terrifier three out of nowhere. I was like, what what what if we weren't terrified twice before this? And then yeah, and so we go in. Uh it was the worst shit you could imagine from like a Gore movie. Like it looked like they were just like trying to think of like the worst things they could do. It wasn't even like the opening week and we and like eight people walked out throughout the course of the movie. I was watching it through my fingers and I will say between like the entire afterwards I was just like, we can't let white people keep getting away with this? Why are they doing this to me?
Speaker 2: Like the movie just.
Speaker 3: Yeah making a movie, Like I'm like, we don't need to do we don't need to do this. Also, it really it like with all of the violence that I'm seeing on my social media, like it doesn't hold back of like who the victims are, so some of the victims are children, and like I fried during it, and so like it was hard for me to watch that.
Speaker 1: And then also simon, can't white people keep getting away with this? Is the theme?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: I was so horrified. But also I was like, you know what, that was great clown work.
Speaker 2: So I was.
Speaker 3: Give it up to the actor. He had some great mining, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The the premise of those movies, in addition to being like the most brutal killings imaginable imaginable on film, The Bad the Slasher is a clown who has like gone to clowning school, like yeah, does a lot of silly gags while doing the most horrific violence to people possible. I watched the original one.
Speaker 3: And it is fucked up and it was the number one movie in the US. The Terrified three movie.
Speaker 2: At the time, I was like, yeah, blew up. So anyways that one was saying it, you know, caused fainting and stuff. There are actual examples where movies killed people, and it became I don't know if it was like officially part of the marketing campaign, but in two thousand and four, a fifty six year old woman was watching The Passion of the Christ and died of a heart attack.
Speaker 1: She's just excited and she's just a fan, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's that movie is so just fucking unrelentingly brutal. I've never seen anything like it. It's just it does. It is not a movie. It is just one long torture scene. It's cried for hours.
Speaker 3: I was like a teen and I went and saw it and I cried for hours after. I was like, am I Christian?
Speaker 2: Now what happened?
Speaker 3: I was like in Utah, I was like, I've been holding out against the Mormons for so long. To me gets get got you. This is what got your ass. I got a lot of people. That movie was a massive hit. It's still so strange to me, like comparing the movie to like its impact, like what the actual movie is, to like how the fact that it was like a big box office success is so strange. It is one of the weirdest works of you know, horrifyingly violent propaganda.
Speaker 2: Ever. The other big one is Jaws. In nineteen seventy five, during a screening of Jaws, a person died of a heart attack, and they like have it specified as like forty five minutes into a screening, a person died of a heart attack, which made me a huge Jaws fan be like, okay, so which part was it that did it?
Speaker 3: Like? Was it sounds like you're on the side of the shark's jack.
Speaker 2: I was like, so I watched draw Like Mike, this was my original claim to fame as a human being. When I was like five, I had seen Jaws one hundred times. Oh my god, I really loved Jaws so much.
Speaker 3: And we're learning about so many of your jobs.
Speaker 2: Are real Jaws freak, yeah, cool, Jaws watcher. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought jobs for the first time like three years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh what were your thoughts?
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, yeah, it's fun. It's like a fake catchcock movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, didn't didn't give you a fatal heart attack, which is good.
Speaker 1: No, it's not scary.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's not. It's just it. I feel like it still holds up. But I also think Teen Wolf holds up because that was another movie I saw a hundred times another I.
Speaker 3: Love Michael J.
Speaker 2: Fox so much, so great in that you were Wolf guy not really other than Teen Wolf. In the beginning of Throw.
Speaker 1: His new movie is gonna be a were wolf movieggers, Yeah, Bobby Eggs, Bobby egg that's exciting. Wear a wolf and it's going to be like all in old English.
Speaker 2: Wow, the old were wol Oh, people are gonna people are gonna like that.
Speaker 3: Although I also have a legitimate question are you a were wolf guy? Like? Are you a were wolf?
Speaker 2: Am? I? Was that your question I should have Are you a werewolf?
Speaker 1: Comma?
Speaker 2: Are you a werewolf guy? Guy?
Speaker 3: Hey, guy, are you aware wolf?
Speaker 2: I'm a brow but I'm not a were wolf guy. Yeah? No, I uh, you know, the beginning of thriller is certainly a seminal memory for me, but I am not a werewolf guy.
Speaker 3: Wait. In the document for this episode, you have an AI overview screenshot.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that this is what I want to talk about next. So about John Yes, So I was like, I was like, oh, ship, Like what a, which of the scary parts in Jaws killed somebody? Was it the like you know, there's one part where a guy's like hedge pops out of a hole in a boat. Another is like the shark like literally pops a child like a balloon full of blood, like a child.
Speaker 1: God, just burst.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy.
Speaker 1: I do not have time for that.
Speaker 2: Children. I don't don't kill children in your movies? Can I just ask people not to do that. We don't need to see it.
Speaker 3: It's like children and vulnerable pets, old people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but the shark eats both a child and a dog in the same scene in that scene of Jows. Oh my god. I was very curious, so I asked Google, like, what scene happens forty five minutes into Jaws. I was assuming like there wasn't a great chance that I was gonna get an answer, But I did. I got a confident answer from Google's AI, and it is complete bullshit, it says in the movie Jaws. The most iconic scene around the forty five minute mark is generally considered to be the first full reveal of the shark, when it attacks a young woman swimming in the water. Often referred to as the Orca scene where chief browed Roy Scheider utters the famous line You're gonna need a bigger boat. So what they've done is they've collapsed like four different scenes from.
Speaker 1: Joe Say, that's like the first scene of Jos Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: First scene is the woman swimming. You don't see the shark during that. The work a scene where cheap Rody says You're gonna need a bigger boat is like the first time we really see the shark for an extended period of time. That happens towards the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: And then is it called the Orca scene because that's not the name? Is that what it's actually called?
Speaker 2: The name of the boat is Orca, But no, it's it's called that We're gonna need a bigger boat scene. And nobody calls the fucking ork A scene. But AI so confident, so wrong, Like this is what Google is giving us. This is the Internet that we can't let Hey, I keep getting away with this.
Speaker 1: We really can't.
Speaker 2: It's so bad. This is this is my this is my turning point where I become radicalized against Silicon Valley. But it really really bummed me out. Anyways, if anybody knows exactly what the forty five I didn't have time to buy Jaws and scroll forward. So if anybody knows it off the top of their head, hit me up, let me know what's what's the scene at forty five minutes that literally killed someone.
Speaker 3: I missed Shark Week being as big of a thing as it used to. I was obsessed with Shark Week.
Speaker 2: I mean it's pretty big. It's pretty big. It living. Yeah, this might be one of those moments where we're like, God, remember they used to toy commercials, and then you realize there's still so many toy commercials. It's just they're they're not on the stuff that we watch anymore. Yeah, Yeah, but yeah, Shark Week is still fucking massive. It's like, I think, only gotten bigger since we were younger. Like, it's they've they've turned it into and I think it happens like four times a year. Also, they fucked it up. They there, they could have done more and better stuff with it, but they still go pretty hard with it.
Speaker 3: They're going to rename Pride Month to Shark Month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you guys have so paully? It sounds like you had a visceral reaction to terrifier three, Miley, do you have you had like visceral physical like movie experiences?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not seeing those kinds of movies.
Speaker 2: Nah, fuck all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was one scene like my I had a reaction to a scene in Heretic? Did you guys see that with Hugh Grant and it's Mormon missionaries. I had to see it because I'm from Utah, so I'm like, I gotta go see how these Mormons are portrayed. And there was a scene where he can I describe it? Spoiler alert to people, spoiler heretics, spoilers heretics, spoiler the Mormons were right. No, he pulls like a like a birth control thing out of this girl's arm and he's like fishing it out and he pulls out like a vein, and I like, I almost like he like he like pulls it and then let's go back in and I like, I like Jackies literally had to give me water because I was like I because I have a fainting disorder, and I was like, I'm feeling like really hot and faint, and like because I could you know those moments where you can feel it in your body, you can feel it happening to you. I was like, oh till this day, I'm like, I need water. It's too much. No, I am out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: I'm avoiding anything, anything fucked up. I just am watching Real Housewives of Salt Lake City. We need to talk.
Speaker 2: We need to talk.
Speaker 3: And also if you haven't, oh my god, so much it's incredible.
Speaker 1: They I gotta. They decided to have a clear the air meeting where they would each read the meanest text message they had written about someone in the group, and somebody read one about a girl where she said, well, she did marry that guy. Pretty smart for her to marry that guy who's the old guy who's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
Speaker 2: That was so funny. That's so funny.
Speaker 3: And then another one was like, well, this was the meanest thing I could find, And it was like, I'd rather invite this person to lunch. And it's the one girl who like is never with it in the group, Like it's the one person that everybody's like, what the fuck is wrong with you all the time, Like she doesn't ever get the game or what's going on.
Speaker 2: Just the worst, that's the meanest. Yeah, That's a fun game. Everybody should. Everybody should play with their friend group. If you are trying to call friends, you know you have too many friends, too much connections with people. Should play that game, all right, everybody, let's read the meanest thing that.
Speaker 3: We Sometimes I search my handle and on Twitter and the words dumb ass, and it's like it's always to like people who are being transphobic and stuff. But it's like it was from a very rough period of mine during COVID, and I was going at a lot of people. Wow, I'm like you yeah, but it was always like to shitty people.
Speaker 2: So you're looking for people that you've called dumbas or you're.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm like, how angry was I during this time period? And then like all these all these responses of me like being like you dumbass, like just not even clever or whatever. I was just like mad at like racists and transphobic people and stuff. But that's like me searching my meanest text. But it's tweets.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Well, Molly, such a pleasure having you as always on the dance for having me. Where can people find you? Follow you that you can find me?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'm trying to get off some of these social media things, not beyond them as much. But you can find me at Molly Underscore Lambren on Instagram for now. And I have a book that just came out, Double Axe and Pop, that you can order from commercial type, and we're going to be doing a live event that I'll be announcing more details about soon if you follow that Instagram.
Speaker 2: What's the name of the book again, Double Axe and Pop.
Speaker 1: It is a non comprehensive survey of duo musical acts centered around a long essay about the breakup of Hall and Oates, the fifty years collaboration of Hall and Oates, contentious divorce between Hall of Notes.
Speaker 3: I started crying. I'm like Hall and Oates broke up. Make it then? Who can?
Speaker 1: It's pretty recent and they really hate each other and they've made a bazillion incredible songs together. And if you read the book you can find out whose fault it is.
Speaker 2: No scholars, I think I know who?
Speaker 1: Check it out?
Speaker 2: Awesome, I love it.
Speaker 3: We love books here at TDZ. Everybody buy it, buy a book, good distraction, the hell worlook Yeah, touch a book and touch grass, Touch grass with a book, sit on sit on some grass, smoke some grass and read a book.
Speaker 1: Touch wood by touched in a book.
Speaker 2: There you go, Molly, is there a working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 1: I mean truly real house has in Salt Lake City the one thing that's made me feel calm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, girl, we're like this right now. We're like this because my can I say what my my media is?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Traders on Peacock. Have you seen the same.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: I stayed up till six a m. Finishing the second season because I've just been watching, like I haven't seen it all amazing. I'm really amazing.
Speaker 1: Slowly on a post got me into Traders and I need to talk to her about it.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are Traders Traders Nation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Alan Cumming should get the egot or Traders.
Speaker 2: Every category does. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He should be Emmy, a Grammy and Oscar and a Tony for his work.
Speaker 2: On Yeah, he's technically on a stage for this.
Speaker 1: I wish he was president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he'd be great. Jack and Casey have you seen Traders?
Speaker 2: Do you know what it is?
Speaker 3: I know what it is thanks to I have not for those who are listening, It's like that game mafia that you would play like where there are a few of you that are part like the Traders, and then they kill somebody every night, and there's the way they they did. It's such a great job because in a lot of reality shows, like the seasons kind of get stale after a while because people know they're on like a show, and then they try to like manipulate the show and the rules don't change enough or this real like Loveline kind of fell off. Yeah, but here they like throw in. The writers are really good. They like throw in so many different tricks and loopholes and wrinkles and things that I think they update on the fly that it keeps it so exciting. So like season one, I was like hooked, and then season two I literally stayed up all night last night because I was like this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's so yeah great Paul of where can people find you? We know your media, but do we know where people can find you and follow you on Traders? No?
Speaker 3: You Traders, I would immediately get kicked out. I'm so unlikable in those situations.
Speaker 1: Like you fucking idiots, use your brains, just not a people person in those situations. I mean Tom Sandoval's on it, so you can't be worse than him.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's the worst I am at Pavia Vegan allin. But I'm also going to be at sketch Fest this weekend doing stand up on comedian Clash and on Facial Recognition Comedy, both on Saturday. Please come to my shows. Please buy tickets. The Facial Recognition tickets are running out, and Clash is going to be so fun. It's gonna be amazing with a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the best. It's you get to watch a game show. If game shows had like truly the funniest people in the world on them, It's it's a blast. It's like a podcast, watching a game show and watching comedy like a live comedy show all in one.
Speaker 3: Jackies is the best host and it's also funny. So good because obviously Daigang knowes that he and I are together, but I also have to be professionals, and I always just want to mess it up. I always just want to be like, slap him on the butt on the way he's like introducing me to four hundred people, I'm like, yeah, baby, that.
Speaker 2: Woo sweet ass. That's my impression of admiring someone's ass. Yes, all right, some tweets I've been enjoying. Jason x interest at Benedict's Red tweeted, I'm just glad my faith in humanity isn't alive to see any of this, and also gazz at Silent Garrett tweeted, I'm watching this movie American History X. I'm kind of curious why the main character keeps doing the My heart goes out to you, salute.
Speaker 3: You can so funny.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter at Jack underscorel Brian and on Blue Sky at Jack ob the Number one. You can find us on Twitter. Oh, you can find Miles on Twitter and Blue Sky at Miles of Gray. He will be back in the not too just in future. Still obviously sending a lot of love to him and his family. But yeah, I was texting with him yesterday and he's still so funny. I don't know how he is still a funny, kind person at a time like this, but he's he is. So can't wait to have him back, and if he appreciates all the warm messages and contributions and all that from our listeners.
Speaker 3: So we're all like jealous of all the people who lost their homes and the fires because it's feeling their art. Really. God, oh, you're only going to get the trauma. It's like such a stand up thing to do. You've got cancer congratulations, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's huge for you. Anyways, you can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily zeye Gist on Instagram and I think we're on Blue Sky now. I think we're up on Blue Sky, but I got to find the handle. We have a Facebook fan page. I don't know that we really update that much. We have a website dot com that I don't know if we really update that much. But you can go to this episode wherever you're listening to it, look at the description of the episode, and there you will find our footnotes, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy, and super producer Justin Connor does this one. Miles is out, Justin, is there a song that you think the people might enjoy? I listened to your recommendation yesterday and it was very good. I will say great, great vibes. Oh, thank you.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate that this is a track that's a little bit different. It would wouldn't feel out of place on Tony Hawk pro Skater game soundtrack. It's got this vintage underground low five beat produced by the Alchemist, and it reminds me of something off of like a Stone's Throat record or a Peanut Butter Wolf b side. The strings sound like they're from a James Bond score, and there's some pretty decent rapping on here. So this is Breakfast in Monaco by Larry June and you can find that song in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 2: The dailies Eite Guys are a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we'll talk to you all then. Bye.
Speaker 3: Wear masks if you're in La