Speaker 1: He is drinks chants, motherfucking podcast. Make He's a legends every queens rapper. He ain't agreed, that's your boy in O r E. He's a Miami hip hop pioneer put up as d J E f N.
Speaker 2: Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And the most professional, unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk drink chams.
Speaker 1: Mother post for every day is New Year's Eve. That's it's time for drink champs. Drink up, motherfuck motheruck what it gonna be? Hoping to wins? Show me this year? Boy in O r E. What up is DJ E f N? And this is Militatemy Crazy World Happy.
Speaker 4: Hour Actually drink Champs.
Speaker 1: Drink Champs. I always forget to say that. Make some man. And when I tell you, these brothers here are icons, are beyond legends. You know, part of my mostly my childhood, consists of their music. They have stayed timeless, have stayed relevant, have had one of the most beautiful stories in hip hop. The fact that they got their stuff back, the fact that that you know, they stayed up every day. I never I never seen them cry. I've never seen them. They they've real legends, legends, they're real men of men. I'm proud to call them my friend. I'm proud to call them exactly who they are, impeccable individuals. These are great men, and we all should give them their flowers, not just drink champs. Everybody got to give them their flowers. He's a part of one of the greatest groups of all time. And I say that without stuttering in case you don't know who the fun were talking about one only.
Speaker 5: It's crazy?
Speaker 1: Aready like that? You started already you're buzzing drink drink. So guys, man, last time you guys we was here. We were speaking about, uh, the resurrection of getting back you guys material? How did that? How did that play out?
Speaker 5: It played out pretty successfully?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: What ended up happening? Tom Silverman ended up selling the entire Tommy Boy catalog to a company called Reservoir Media. Faith our friend, sister person who's been our partner in hip hop and Wow looked out.
Speaker 1: For all of us, you know, Wow, Yes, big of faith.
Speaker 5: Yeah Faith, Yeah, and made the her and her partners made the deal, right, Okay, So.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't I don't want you to prevail anything that you guys can't reveal. But for people, for people who's sitting in your situation right now, what can you say about, Like how did y'all go about this? What was this? I sit down, y'all have some coffee and yeah, and because one thing about y'all, let me just tell you something. And I know what every rapper gets hated on, right, but one thing about y'all, I don't see no one hating on y'all.
Speaker 6: Don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying y'all got hate this. I know y'all hate this, but I don't see it. So it's like to me, everybody wants to see y'all win. So how did y'all go about getting back to rights?
Speaker 4: If I could jump in, like.
Speaker 3: After we did drink Champs, Wow, that helps start like a momentum as well of having these these discussions with you know, the owners of Tommy Boy at the time. Every now and then they would come to the table with something it was a little better but still needed some work. Without question, I'll make sure the whole world know this man right here was not backing down.
Speaker 4: He was not with he was hitting me.
Speaker 2: After we did the episode, like yo, keep let's keep putting the pressure.
Speaker 3: I remember you, yeah, so you know, I'm just being if I can give you that bit of like inside stuff. There was moments where like Yo, I could be like Yo, this is good God bless the dead. Dave could be like, Yo, this is I think we can kind of work with this. Mix was like nah, I can't work with this. And I love y'all and y'all my brothers, but Yo, man, we shouldn't settle, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It should be no level of settling.
Speaker 3: And we kept pushing and the times with they go dark, we chilling, we doing what we do. They come back around, Hey, Yo, we've made it like this, and make's just like nah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's a unique situation. Knowing that it never happened to no other group or artists like this, wow, where the label would fold and the groups or artists keep going a lot of times when the label fold, the artists and group fold as well, you know, trying to figure out situations we have been able to really sustain, We had been able to carry on as far as putting out music Kickstarter, especially with the Kickstarter. I'm so proud of that because that got nominated for a Grammy at that so wow, and Tommy Boy trying to make their comeback, their comeback was based on us still being a part of that. So those the things I understood. And here it is. It's like, yeah, we humble guys know my value. I know. I've been playing this game since high school, you know, and it's been on the job training and behind it all. It's like, this was the moment in time I had to really take on my leadership and the crew. I mean, everybody has their warranted leadership back moments and times and it just comes at divine moments when God is calling. And it was in my spirit like that, like, nah, we can't do this. And there was times I was almost buckled. That almost buckled a few times, you know. And I gotta be honest. You know, I got a good woman on my team, my wife, you know, with the help of her counsel as well. You know, it helped my decision. It helped our decision.
Speaker 1: Because for a long time, the music wasn't even available right all.
Speaker 5: Over twenty years, for twenty years we out there performing music that people can't even get. And then now we also hit the stage rocking with the Gorillas for over ten years and in front of a mega new audience, and they can't even get it, you.
Speaker 4: Know, only they then could.
Speaker 3: The only thing they could get was like physical releases that were to take the Yeah, you know, they finally like you know, there you go like whatever little thrift store, vinyl store, and we like spotsort necessarily benefiting from it.
Speaker 4: But it's keeping the time.
Speaker 5: We even released it for nothing. We released it for free like twenty ten around the thirtieth and thirtieth anniversary, we connected with some website that was in in Russia somewhere and took it from them and gave it to the audience for free because it's just one available, you know. Wow. So just being a true artist, you know, wanting the people to just have your music. That was what it was about in that moment in time. Like you know, when Warner Brothers had it, it was like so many infractions around it, which the samples was the biggest issue. They didn't think it was worth putting it out. So under the Warner Brothers system, it was all stuck. But yeah, when when he made the sale to the Reservoir, you know, magic happened. You know, they made it work. They made it, they made it comfortable for us to really get back to.
Speaker 1: Work because I can remember like hearing when y'all got your rights back, how hip hop just supported y'all. And I believe it's a rumor like every one of your albums went sold a million or something like that, Like I think it went straight to number one.
Speaker 7: It's like, yeah, yeah, phenomenal, Yes it has.
Speaker 3: I mean like there's points where there's lists, like a catalog list, and it can be like Fleetwood Mac number one, day Soul number two, Thriller number three, like three rising up like it's it's been like we're charting like we've never tried to before, Like releases are now being these re releases, all this charting.
Speaker 1: Really high, and this is a blessing. You know, Sipop really really loves you guys. We really we we the people deserve. We're gonna get into I wish that shirt, say what is that you know we did? We did the pharral during last week. Last week something in the water. I didn't want to get my sneakers messed up. This year, every time I go to that goddamn concepts don't come back the same, I kid, you not something in the dirt, something the goddamn beach, that bigger.
Speaker 2: Man Virginia Beach. Real quick with the re release. Just for anybody that's wondering and unders trying to understand the technicality of the business side, all those issues with the samples from before, how does that get resolved when it gets rereleased?
Speaker 1: Great question.
Speaker 3: Well, we we spent once we got everything in order with reservoir, we spent pretty much almost a year here, just a year and a half, Yeah, taking care of whatever need to be because you yeah.
Speaker 1: So you now have to administer and make sure everything I think. Wow. So it was.
Speaker 3: But even the beauty in that was coming across these different publishers and artists, you know, they were really helpful, man, They really wanted.
Speaker 5: We had a lot of you know, from even the people who are owned the copyrights and samples. It was, like I said, it was a real unique situation based off what we exposed to the world by fighting for our rights. You know.
Speaker 1: That's dope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, honestly, y'all, y'all helped. That's right. Jay helped Quest Love and Black thought.
Speaker 1: When you say Jay talking about j j.
Speaker 5: Z, he decided to not called out b Elliott Wilson called up and was like, Yo, what y'all want to do? Y'all want to stream it? Not streaming?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 5: Was like not streaming, don't stream it. He decided to not stream it, and that set the tone for Spotify not to do it, Apple not to do it because Title didn't do it. You know, and you know how the muscles behind the scene can chuck you out. You know what I'm saying now, they helped us out.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's very dope that you just said that, because I totally forgot that. I did go over my head, but I just remember, that's my first time of me being proud of hip hop. It's like that was like, you know, we usually have discrepancies against each other, but that's the first time I seen hip hop come all together and was like, nah, they're doing day lot wrong and everyone. I may have been in the room with.
Speaker 5: Jay about three times in my whole career, you know what I'm saying, And for that to be, I know, we all mean something to each other, whether we.
Speaker 3: Rival maternity, you know what I'm saying, we are you know, it's definitely I'm sorry to cut you, but it's definitely blessed. Even the fast forward up to like this previous Grammy Award and the fiftieth celebration and like running into different people there, you know, seeing Rick Ross clapping five and I'm about to let go and he grabs me in. It's like, yo, man, I'm proud that y'all got y'all music back and were waiting, like it was just great to see people just really coming together to see what you know, needed to be done and the fact that we got everything back and they were just just as proud, you know, like you said, like a fraternity all proud together.
Speaker 2: To see the coach showed a real community in here, like it is a community that I forgot.
Speaker 1: There was a community I forgot because we always at each other. And that was the first time, like you know, seeing people fighting with you guys. I felt like we was fighting with you guys. You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, you know, like how they see people marching and it's like I felt I feel like I was from outside marching with y'all because and I got the same story. That's what's crazy about I got it was the same fight. Just say exact right. So it's like this is something, this is under that. Like I'm proud of hip hop. I'm proud of hip hop for making this happen. I'm proud of you guys for sticking to your guns. I'm proud of it because now I know the stick to my gun. You know what I'm saying, Because there's been times I wanted to give up, Like you know what I mean, I think about it. You know, after thirty years, they're supposed to give you back your rights. Anyway I sit is twenty five, so I'm like five years away. But I would love to make this deal. But it's crazy to me. Seeing y'all, it gives me hope because when you think about it, this is our music. Why shouldn't we own it? Like, why shouldn't we.
Speaker 5: Own it at least be partners in it? Based on the criteria of what we trying to look for in certain deals. You know, some people aren't able to fund themselves, you know, so you're all looking for some type of funding and you may have to give something up to gain something, you know, But as time goes along, I always looked at it like a job when you first come in for a job. Don't expect to be manager first day. But if you do tremendously at the job, you do well, you look to get a raise at some point. You know a lot of us haven't gotten that. You know a lot of us haven't got that raise or them benefits. And even with for the deals that the label's still cut, you know they need to offer more benefits, right, medical benefits something like that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Something such as that, because it's worked for hire, no different than any other employment. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So what's up?
Speaker 2: Drink Champs Army Ready for a staggering statistic. Nearly seventy seven percent of fathers settle for their lady's uncomfortable baby bag when they're outside with their kids. That's according to your very own eye, So just look around. Settling is not where it's at. Dad's deserved better. No more struggling to find the wipes, the diapers, the cream, or your own personal items. Introducing the Fly's Dad Bag, the first born from fly dad gear dot com. It's the perfect backpack to keep dad and baby ready for whatever. Twenty one compartments make it easy to keep everything in its place and never again to dig through the bottom this hole. That's your lady's bag. Trust me, I wouldn't have become a partner of fly Dad if it wasn't legit. Not only is the firstborn my baby bag, but also the bag I take on set for drink Champs, the bag I travel with and pretty much my go to backpack for everything I do. If stain fly and being functional is your goal, head to fly dadgear dot Com, forward, slash Amazon and get your fly Dad bag today.
Speaker 5: And then and then it does shit, It should change based on success. Yes that that work for hire. Shit turn into some sort of partnership, right, you know?
Speaker 2: And I think what's happening is we're all lifting the veil of the absurdity of these agreements to say in perpetuity in the universe.
Speaker 1: Oh man, So we didn't know what perpetuity. We didn't know what digital rights.
Speaker 5: I kept asking, what does that word mean? No one wanted to tell me. I looked it up, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Crazy because I thought about it when even when I thought about it, and I never signed over digital rights. I never signed over with because there was nothing called digital back then. I never signed up with rings homes.
Speaker 8: There was nothing called out before night, so they coverned it with that for everybody listening right now, they covered it with AI too, so you understand what you're signing with this perpetuity in the entire universe.
Speaker 1: It's wild. Yes, it's not.
Speaker 5: It is wild, especially for the artists who are being able to capitalize off this you know, technical world of the Internet and being able to I mean, if we had that back then we probably be able to cut better deal und The Internet has gave these artists a bargaining power. You out there building your own energy up, and then they come in and the scoop off your energy and maybe add the machine to take it elsewhere. Yeah it's fine, but you done made million plus off of doing your own independent thing. That deal structure should be a little bit more in your favor.
Speaker 3: It's great to see a lot of young kids very familiar with the data. You know, they can show them like, look, it's undeniable. I can see right here what I'm doing in this understand.
Speaker 4: Yeahs analytics and it's.
Speaker 5: Locking hardware, AI off algorithms and all of that. We had to go visit the DJ.
Speaker 1: I remember physically, if I didn't go to London, the record wouldn't go to London like I physically had to go to London.
Speaker 2: I had to go to everybody, every city you had to get so we met you.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Nowadays you can repress one button. That's should be everywhere. I remember literally, you know, our e came out hit number one, and and every town that I had to go, I had to go to every single town. They had to look at the what what's what's algorithms back then and they had to say, Okay, you're doing you're not doing You're not doing good in Philly, So they go to Philly, like physically do that. As of right now, you could just you could stream. You don't even have to leave your house. The pandemic had me pissed off. I said, these niggas is dropping albums and staying in the house. They was like this, I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 8: Come on?
Speaker 1: Didn't work? We were doing the same quarantine. I hated quarantine. I hated it if in every moment of quarantine, I hated it. Remember so some like you got to give you a five. I want you to smell my cologne. You know I'm saying I want you to feel me. I want you to smell my budd You ain't give them a blood? Yeah, come on kind of blood. You're making us look clazy? Okay, yeah, okay, don't drop. Yeah, I'm a personal guy man. Yeah, I owe you some day shirt. So let me ask you about that. How about during the time you got did you use in control of your own merch because I always.
Speaker 5: Always been my own merchant. But you have seen mostly bootlegs stuff.
Speaker 1: Really yeah? Yeah's got a Bootleggs shirt.
Speaker 5: But I can't I can't hate you, know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Better than because it was like the first night collab, right, you collab with like earlier?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the dunk the day?
Speaker 1: How was that? How was that ship?
Speaker 5: We happened to be at the magic.
Speaker 3: That was as R something in San Diego that usually happens like this is uh yeah, but I think it's called as R.
Speaker 4: We we was in We was doing somewhere l R G.
Speaker 3: And yeah, just walking through the arena where they had all the boots shut up, ran into people over there. Nike, his brother Robbie Jeffers, who was working with them, and I think he's working between Stucie and Nike and he we had a show out there like there's some street fair they usually do. We had them come through and then he just happened to just mention it, like, yo, would you be.
Speaker 4: Down to do a dunk? It was like of course, and he made the call and it just it just fell into place, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: Like a year from that meeting.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, that was really cool.
Speaker 1: You got your own fucking Nike. Yeah. Man, guys, stop being so humble. There's not a lot of people who can say that.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 1: No though, flowers, man, let's listen. Our show is about giving people flowers, so we need to give you your flowers. To your face. Make the face man, man that give flowers. And mister is always later, he's always like he's always Dominican friend.
Speaker 9: It's always like, okay, yo, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Holy the embarrassing? We got a bootleg day, so shirt on if you lay on the flowers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, man, I brought you all.
Speaker 4: So it's beautiful, true boy, rest in peace day man.
Speaker 1: You know for you to present your family and you can if you can, you know, we definitely will. Yet beautiful, Let's make some noise the flowers, dog, because it's like in the Grammy, they got quick Time slim ready.
Speaker 5: Yes man, that's another milestone.
Speaker 4: Yeah man, yes man.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell y'all, man, we are huge fans the family to us and we are so happy for what y'all y'all accomplished. And as y'all keep going.
Speaker 5: This is better than the Grammy.
Speaker 1: Man, we're using that, we're taking that.
Speaker 5: This is hip hop man into the heart. That's all before we that s hip hop honors vah one. These two right here.
Speaker 1: And you got you guys had an album on Massive Pill correct what.
Speaker 5: It was supposed to be.
Speaker 3: It's still in play. We just gotta get it, you know. We gotta get it done.
Speaker 1: You gotta get it done. Yeah yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: And some we we hope to get done. I mean there was a there weren't a lot of rhymes that Dave completed because it was a it was a Pete rock and premiere.
Speaker 4: Yeah ooh joint. Wow, that's right. Yeah, the premium Soul on the rock.
Speaker 3: So we got some stuff done, not enough, you know, and hopefully we can just pull it all together.
Speaker 1: So there will be another daylight out.
Speaker 4: I mean, without question, it's going to daylight stuff.
Speaker 5: Well I'm in a miss of I'm in the process right now working on the trilogy of Artificial Intelligence, the third installment.
Speaker 1: Are we breaking news right now? I feel like we're breaking.
Speaker 5: News right now. The third installment is being worked on as we speak, Like, yeah, for real, like this what's going down? I mean, it was supposed to be a DJ related record anyway, you know what I'm saying. So I'm getting it done. Yeah, and then everybody got one and two. Yeah, you know what I'm saying out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were definitely staying with work music coming out, lyrics, daylight related stuff. We were here, like me and Mace immediately kind of locked in and was just like, yop man, we gotta we gotta keep this going, like you know, as difficult as it. Yeah, Like I hit him with the straight like rain more analogy from B Street. I was like, yo, man, we gotta turn this nigga's death into a celebration. And he really felt that, you know what I'm saying, And that's how we really feel, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that, sorry to cut you off, I want you to get back to what you were saying. But I've seen that with Dave Chappelle when I felt like y'all counted it down, was like twelve and counted down for the thing to come. Like I literally, I literally tears came to our mom. And I've seen how Dave Chappelle was so happy for you. That's that's that's that's the thing about you. Like I said I said it earlier, I don't see you hate this like I only see y'all supporters. And to me, to me, that's some honorable shit, Like you know what I'm saying, to see everybody from hip hop just come out and celebrate you guys, like that's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You guys are really eye cars. You guys are really letting Yo to speak on that.
Speaker 3: And I saw you were saying, like, Yo, that was a joint you wish you was at, and I bugged out. I told me, so, I was like, Yo, before Dave's death, dog, Yo, you was on my list, Like I was like, Yo, I'm going to tell your fan, I'm going to tell I know y'all here. But because this this this party was in play Jump. We were even talking about drink cham Yeah, so Yo, you were on my list to come through. But when everything happened with Dave, it was kind of like people in play that this was like, Yo, we're going to reach out to these people.
Speaker 4: It was like kind of cool.
Speaker 3: And so when I was bugging when I saw you said like Yo, this and this, I said.
Speaker 5: You ain't never needed no invitation, you.
Speaker 1: Know, dude, when I see hip hop celebrates y'all.
Speaker 5: Like I said, you had a tumultuous moment at one time. But in that moment, you need to know I.
Speaker 1: Showed up for you.
Speaker 4: About the wild Ship is that I almost.
Speaker 10: Said it last time we was in.
Speaker 1: I really want to.
Speaker 5: Talk me out, thug me out.
Speaker 1: It was kind of it was parade. I don't remember himself, Porto Rican Parade.
Speaker 5: I never experienced Puerto Rican Day parade. I don't even know what to expect, you know what I'm saying. And Tommy Boy called me to come d J for CNN, you know. And and I was also able to have my upcoming rappers rock after I did what I needed to do for them, you know. But we got out there. I spoke to Norwi two days before for it, trying to prep for it. He's like, Nah, don't worry about.
Speaker 1: That, just play the record.
Speaker 5: We're seeing it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, we don't about all that, you know.
Speaker 5: I like, yo, sure you know what I mean. I'm the one who liked to prepare, you know what I'm saying. So I never experienced Puerto Rican Day parade, you know. And I'm looking at it from when I see it on TV. I see the floats and the highs rocking and ship we get out there and tell me, boy got us on like a pickup truck. You know what I'm saying. It was all food gazy to begin with. It was like I was like, oh ship, I'll get out there like, oh ship, already off my.
Speaker 1: Experience doing things. I'm going outside. There's hot mother.
Speaker 5: So I'm already thinking about equipment fucking up and everything. And immediately I play a fucking seeing in record and it starts noting on the.
Speaker 1: I was getting mad. I'm trying to explain.
Speaker 5: It, like yo. Every time I put the needle on the record, the record is woping up, Like I didn't expect none of this to be like this period, Like I'm literally on a pickup truck while other floats is ship.
Speaker 1: We got a pickup truck?
Speaker 5: When motherfucker's just holding.
Speaker 1: Size, say's right, I'm ready.
Speaker 5: We look like some half fast bad boys ship. And he's right, you know, and we all here repper, and I see dudes getting frustrated with me because the music. This is my perception of it. The music ain't popping and riding for a minute and every time. And mind you, I done had mad copies of this stuff in my crate along with other ship right, my young dudes. They stuff was on a hard drive, instant replay.
Speaker 1: So ye, we were professional at all, yees, So it wasn't even about the got.
Speaker 5: The whole I called you and I didn't know nothing. I didn't know whole ship funning. I like with her, solet's stop twenty years talking with me.
Speaker 1: But back then, I'm not gonna lie to you. I was young and I just he was treating me how them.
Speaker 5: Young niggas treat him. He was all that ship. Yeah, and all we did was our little performances ship, but it was knocking. I thought it was knocking out. See niggas frustrated. His man tried to grab a mic for my man grab he's gonna tested back the show and sip rocking and still riving, and ship.
Speaker 2: I went on like beef.
Speaker 5: I knew how the knife.
Speaker 1: I knew.
Speaker 5: The one who was.
Speaker 1: Driving the n he had the knife. It was crazy.
Speaker 5: This is crazy because he was grabbing. The dude that he was grabbing the mic from was super timid too, so I'm like, no, you're not going to be timid with me. And then Nordy came over, like I knew he had to be the ambassador. He had all these niggas with him, and it was like if he's sayings, go, it's got all these yeah, yeah, got these niggas. And I did play like at the time, him and Bumpy wasn't getting along either, so I did play an intro things. Bumpy did a song with me called you Don't want to Bust That Ship, and he he's on a song, so I played an a cappella version of that before we got into our thing.
Speaker 1: You're right, you never be good.
Speaker 5: And then he came memory, he came over, he came out, he came over. He's like.
Speaker 1: At the time, I definitely did. We got yes, yeah, I'm looking the rock, got my wife with me.
Speaker 5: I'm like, and it's just like five of us and my wife.
Speaker 1: You know, definitely did like time, I definitely did.
Speaker 5: Man if I did anything to offend you, I said, but I have to call you Jesus. And I had no idea that it was gonna be hot as fucking Dickins was gonna melt.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Apology?
Speaker 5: He goes, yeah, all right.
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 1: Don't cut it out.
Speaker 4: Honestly I was.
Speaker 5: I was hurt for about three hours. But then after that I was like, he good man, he good for that, because ship that I didn't did you know what I'm saying, I'm getting the ship that I don't.
Speaker 3: And I was like, all right, this nigga's definitely terrorized some sound man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've had my fashion.
Speaker 1: Did y'all listen to new artists got into this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who oh man.
Speaker 4: It's really hard to say.
Speaker 5: Man, it's it's just like more songs than I could say album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, like I like to lose the UZI Bird.
Speaker 5: I like him a lot. At you got a beat that I take works for him? I don't know. I keep talk about I messed with him. I mean, I got I got kids that's in their twenties and thirties, So we talked music all the time. My son raps. You know what I'm saying, Wow. Yeah pretty good, you know Wow. And and I said, d J, I just DEJ have a producer. I look to stay connected and I'm always trying to learn. I stay a students of this ship.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And they got to keep learning. It can go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Been gave up on this new generation.
Speaker 4: Man, Man, it's out there.
Speaker 1: You've never seen have been playing nothing new.
Speaker 3: But it's out there, you know what I'm saying. Like you said, like it could be oozy, it could be.
Speaker 1: Ben gave up Man Curry from Miami for one carry. He's older than you is dope PVT. Okay.
Speaker 2: The Russell Russell's Dopel Russell said, you know the Russell Yeah, from the Bay the Rush. Yeah, a lot of there's a lot of kids out here that doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. We coders fifty years old, y'all fifty You know what I'm saying. I remember when we came. The generation before us wasn't fucking with us. You know what I'm saying. I think what ended up happening, and what ended up happening is cats become a force to be wrecking with. You may not like it, but it's in your conversation. You know, you gotta at least figure out what it is. It's got these kids rocking to it, you know what I mean. And I learned from George Clinton. Anything that makes the parents upset, it's rocking.
Speaker 1: It's so he's ecrasically said that on the show. Yeah a lot too. He's still here smoked a lot, oh man, yeah, said the more they hated on, he's more interested, more interested. Drake too. I did not think he's going to drake, but.
Speaker 3: Mind you, it was not to cut you, but like me and him was just we did Coachella with gorillas.
Speaker 1: We did. He was showing me all the clips. He's like yo. It was like.
Speaker 3: The second weekend we hung out with our sons, you know, with my youngest son. He was two of his sons, and it was just dope, you know, my son taking me to different stages like yop, yeah, what these kids I think they.
Speaker 4: Call suicide Kings or something like that.
Speaker 3: So it was just dope to see because I studied that the crowds reaction what they're doing, because we always students of looking out people.
Speaker 5: Rocket stage, stage presence, all.
Speaker 4: Of the It's a lot, man, it means a lot, you know. So I'm into all that and.
Speaker 1: I think it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but I think also the way that we used to discover music is different. So for us in our generation, like we want to like physically like be it somewhere, and we saw these mcs coming up in the club at a battle or DJ played in the club when it was all new. Now, streaming for me is harder to get into newer artists because it's so much.
Speaker 3: It's so much. It's definitely a lot, you know. I mean, I agree with you, but I sometimes go down a rabbit hole with it. Like you know, you into one artist and they'll say, Yo, if you like this artist, here's a similar artist, and you just kind of just keep going with it.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I know where you're at with that. That's why people to put me on the ship. Yeah, I'd rather get recommended in that aspect because it is a rabbit hole. You'll go deep down and you'll get caught up in your own personal feelings of what you like as opposed of balancing it out for at least meet for a djy, I try to balance it out.
Speaker 1: If it does not, he's exactly I mean, like he has the name one artists you noticed that I did. Does it carry?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: L Russell.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even know what I'm saying. His name is Russell and what what what's the coach contract? Doesn't believe you at all. People support them as as much as I can't socially.
Speaker 3: Social media, but even down with you know, anyone alchemist is from producing, you know June, Larry June is dope, Autumn cats man, Yeah there you go.
Speaker 5: Symbols yeah man, that.
Speaker 1: And alchemists and all of them are messing with crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah ship that Larry June, now join with him and Dick Sean that random facts.
Speaker 1: I called them the other days with my kids.
Speaker 5: People don't talk about enough. It's yo off, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so just the level of music, nativity, you could strip individuality, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: He got bars, he could spit, you know, that's we live in that cipher. I could put them in a cipher with some savages and he'll live.
Speaker 4: Yeah real.
Speaker 2: But you know what's dope about now for artists like that is that they don't need the gatekeepers.
Speaker 1: They don't to.
Speaker 2: Find their audience. We're all talking about different artists. Everybody's like, who what what? And each of these artis were mentioning have millions of followers do their shows festivals. They don't need us to even know who they are because they found their audience. And that's what's dope about it. It's really dope and funny enough.
Speaker 3: As we was talking about a little bit earlier, it was artists like that who championed on behalf of us because like they were saying, like, yoday Ala deserve this ship, like they could walk that ship for us because they felt like, yo, I don't got no one over us.
Speaker 4: You're like, honestly, I got no problem saying it.
Speaker 3: It was like this one lawyer on their side who was like talking to our lawyer and was like, yo, man, I got I got clients that don't want to fuck with me because they know that I'm trying to not fuck with day long. You know what I'm saying, like trying to like fuck they ship up on behalf of telling you, boy, like that's how much these young artists had our backs we never met, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That that's beautiful man, Thomas Lie, Let's go. You want to explay in the game, you guys get two choices.
Speaker 2: We picked one. We don't drink if you pick both are neither. We're drinking all of us a drink. Okay, hold on, I said time, you get two choices. You get two choices. A person plays it like a person places choices. Let me explain two choices. If you if you pick one the non politically correct answer, you pick one of the two nobody drinks. If you say both or neither, which would be the politically correct answer. If you don't want to hurt feelings or you really mean both, you know, yeah, then we then were drinking.
Speaker 1: Before we say that a birthday that just passed, Happy birthday to our brother. Least you give it is happy birthday, broom. The second guy, huh and we got you, got you? We got your kicking ice cream too? Sorry said yeah, yeah, I got you ready. I ain't get it though. Uh you can start to like, Okay, I'm gonna go to the second one. You go to the first one. You saw this face because I want to go.
Speaker 4: I want to got Holy Ship.
Speaker 1: Quest or Jungle Brothers. Damn y'all answer that way too fast.
Speaker 4: Let me get my shot ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you go to the first one.
Speaker 4: Black daughter styles p wow mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You got your right there, right there. So I love that's right. That's more like.
Speaker 4: You're like, God, damn, I can't.
Speaker 1: Indie or major. This is a big debate here. It's a big debate here. Me and him always disagree.
Speaker 5: How you had the experience of both, you know, and and I don't give.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 5: I can see indis doing business with majors.
Speaker 1: You know this, This is what I say too.
Speaker 2: That's I say, being independence, you could take advantage of the major.
Speaker 5: Yo, man. That's how it's been since the beginning. Tom Siverman did it like that like that? You know, Racous Rocks did it like that. You know, it's been like that since the beginning of the time, right, So I don't see that ever being an issue. It's just all about how to deal with the structure, period.
Speaker 1: So that sounds like a shot.
Speaker 5: That's both.
Speaker 1: Listen here, yeah, m.
Speaker 5: I look, thank you, thank you. Sip Okay. He started drinking till he was like forty. He started drinking till he was forty.
Speaker 3: He started the chance I smoked weed for the first time. Well I did it that.
Speaker 4: I took ahead.
Speaker 5: That was some sucker ship what.
Speaker 10: He and I did it without him? He said, it was like we made up without you. Yeah, be mad, Yes, I be mad too.
Speaker 1: If he smokes some weed with somebody else other than me, you slightly.
Speaker 5: Get a past because it was with Chappelle, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, even Chappelle know better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chappelle and Prince gets a pass. If you smoke with Prince, I won't be mad, you know what I'm saying, Like, yeah.
Speaker 5: And he snacks me from Chaps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 3: It was kind of after the Webster Hall joint. Chappelle went to do something some comedy ship. I fucked with him, and then afterwards he did like this little toast to Dave and he was just like, you know, we have already did like like ten shots. Yeah, And so he was just by himself and I was standing there and he was just in his own mind. He was like for a Dave and he took a puff and I snatched it and I said the same thing, I'm sorry, that was my alarm and yeah. So everyone saw me do it and bugged out immediate. It was like smiles, my my romance, like puff. My wife was like there like, no, I can't tell niggas because I had already.
Speaker 1: Did like eight shots.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 4: I really don't know, honest, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you want to go? I got this one? Q tip or for real Q tip tun.
Speaker 2: Alright, black Star, that Press Blacks, Black Star, Jesus Tupac or d m X, Nigga, good.
Speaker 1: Pretmore Pete Rock.
Speaker 5: I gotta take a shot, nigga.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is a good one. You got it? You want me? You'll think you should say, Jada Kisser, Nos.
Speaker 5: I gotta take a shot. I gotta take a shot.
Speaker 1: Okay, did that go for both of y'all?
Speaker 5: I gotta take a shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm taking you got someone for that one.
Speaker 5: Got some MC brain going on, right, I'm a big.
Speaker 8: He's definitely breaking down some lyrics, break some shipp down over digging it alright.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, bars, let it go, let it go. Wow, that's a good one. Beach Street or Cruss Groove Street. They and cahoots though when they together, that's like that's that Yeah, easy.
Speaker 6: Ear Nipsey easy easy yeah, yehead big E or big L big big piece of both big.
Speaker 1: Sorry okay, eighties or nineties hip hop nineties nineties mm hmmm nineties niddy nineties. Yeah, I'm going nineties to nineties hip hop Red Alert or Ca Capri, Ca Capri, Oh surprise, hm hmm it is I was for DJ. It's tough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's tough one based on what they're both really great at.
Speaker 4: You know, it doesn't make one not great. But you're gonna make me choose Capri.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have to choose Capri overall worldwide. What he's done in the arenas, he's actually Capri is Actually that's been the first DJ to make the DJ actually look like an artist.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And for for selling selling out like he was getting.
Speaker 5: Not more, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And for the record that these questions are are meant to because we want to talk about all these legends conversations, not one of the.
Speaker 5: Question first to grab the mic raped the crowd maybe next to DJ Hollywood, But wait, Capri does it? Truly?
Speaker 1: I don't want to go down in the day with my Honeybull. Give me something of that young young young you know Kuji rapper d.
Speaker 5: Rap.
Speaker 1: We need could you wrap on here? Yeah? We do money love or rock shant Shante Rock.
Speaker 5: Shan shantea Rocks and rock money my sister.
Speaker 1: But rock and we was trying to were trying to get money the guest host here. Yeah, alright, yeah, that's the next one.
Speaker 2: Rick Ross and Fat Joe, Fat John, Fat Joe, rock Yim mccarros one Cross one Caress one Look next, Big Pun of Guru, Big Pun of Guru. Yeah, Pun Pun rest in peace.
Speaker 1: I love how they don't say they don't even look at each other. They ain't even looking at each other. I'm watching all the human behavior. They're good man, m O per mob deep mob.
Speaker 4: Deep Wow, m O p is m o p Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So that means we're drinking. I think we gotta drink. You guys don't have to drink. You guys have we got a drink.
Speaker 1: I gotta drink. We gotta drink.
Speaker 5: Mop from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta drink. No, you don't have to l or Big Daddy King, I drink. LL mentioned me in another day. That's how you went live with them last night. The last night I went live, I didn't say you was a lie because you was in the live a lot. I was.
Speaker 2: You didn't even know you was aline. The comments was hilarious. You're doing drink chats right now. I'm welcome in the morning.
Speaker 1: It was Charlie mcanel ain't you I don't remember nothing. O my god. I looked, I said, why are you taking me? I was mad because like, no, you got drenk chants tomorrow? What the fuck are you doing drink chants right now? Oh?
Speaker 5: My bad?
Speaker 1: We got yesterday man. Queen Latifa or MC light, which is a great verses. By the way, we need both of them here, please one.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to go with a lot of Tifa mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Queen Latio.
Speaker 1: Queen, this is my my favorite.
Speaker 4: You didn't have to drink.
Speaker 1: You had to drink. Okay, okay, damn this is my favorite. It's my favorite one of all of these questions. Wu Tang or n w A tang Whu tang that's the East coast jump right out of here? Right out of here is amazing.
Speaker 5: But yes, I would say n w A has been one of the biggest inspirations, especially for as live show.
Speaker 3: Also, we toured with them in eight and it was a must have been. It was the Nitral tour to Slick Rick.
Speaker 1: N w A.
Speaker 4: Caine Publican me E P M D definitely went to Nah.
Speaker 5: Everybody came with they. It was the new giant.
Speaker 3: It was the new Ones.
Speaker 1: So what did you get from n w A that you yo? They had inspired you.
Speaker 3: The most incredible stage show, I mean their stage presence that it was like watching a Broadway play.
Speaker 4: They had the girls on the.
Speaker 5: On they had the ship set up like a block and on the street pole with holes on the corner like that, D drake d J and on two guys and shipped I mean yellow DJ and on two guyage car. They got police sirens on the speakers, and ship rises and ship when niggas are jumping off, they bring out D O C first, then no first and not d.
Speaker 3: C O C first, then yellow and then yellow go up and DJ dre and and wrint comes out of these like man whole ships.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was amazing, Yeah, I've never heard of then then cube and then easy. They kind of did for me what I felt like Wu Tang should have did, like in terms of breaking it up supposed to coming out always all together.
Speaker 4: They really like, well.
Speaker 5: Who started to do not they began to do it later because I remember one show we did with them in like Switzerland somewhere Denmarkers and they all came out one by one woman My one, and the way we brought Cap Donna. I was fucking nuts. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, n w A definitely, but fu tang I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: I remember I was on the tour with Keith Berry and Method Man was hosting this show. So before I would come on Method Man with Cole and he would hype up the crowd, and I was like, I don't want you to hype up the crowd. Can you you want Keith Mary's tall bus? Can you stay on Keith Mary setting? That's it? Like I remember being so mad because who then wants to go after a person walking on people's heads? He was walking. I don't want to do and I can't. I can't fit that. I can't go if I'm walking people hands, somebody gonna fall, you know what I'm saying. Somebody gonna fall. It's gonna be something. Well, I remember Dad a bigger methet man without question. Okay, so let's put this this up and then we'll get back to the end. Video music box or your m TV raps, video music video music box, Big old Ralph Mcdanie's all right, Uncle Ralph? Yeah, Nino Brown or Frank White.
Speaker 4: Around of Frank White, Nino Brown.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, Brown, I love, I love how you had to figure about this one.
Speaker 5: There, Like New Jack City was dope.
Speaker 4: Frank was quiet with his ruthlessness. So I know what you're going for.
Speaker 5: I know, I don't know if New Jack City was really based on a true story, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That's halfway, you know, because it was what is it supposed to be based on? On the Carter? Right, that's what it like.
Speaker 5: It's based on a couple of people's story right, right, right, I gotta go with Frank White.
Speaker 1: That means we gotta drink. That means Solo May didn't have to drink that. What's crazy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting, you know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to say that there's a there's a there's a story about what Scarface is based on. Scarface is based on five different characters from from Miami, the Cowboy, Cocaine Cowboy. So it's crazy because Scarface is based on a real story. But it's based on five different individuals, you know what I'm saying. So they put them together and it's crazy because I know one of them.
Speaker 11: Huh huh.
Speaker 1: No, it's not based on Mackey Monday. No, no, no, the guy that own seetees Like this guy, he looks so cool. He wear glasses and then and then you'll just sit there and you're like, hey, so how you doing. You know, like, hey man, you know I used to show drunks in the future, Like what the fuck? Because he looks so cool. You're like, no, it's no way. He's Oh my God, like you gotta meet it. He's hilarious. I was. I was sitting down having lunch. I was sitting down having Damn. I was having a regular salad. I was sitting having lunch and he saw me, and then Fat Joe came into the restaurant. Off it was like some ironic ship, and he was like, I just knew this guy with somebody. So he said it to Fat Joe about me. He was like, I knew it's somebody And I looked and I couldn't. I couldn't because he looks like like a normal person until he says something he's not normal, is not normally, like in the moment I told you he got this ship. I told you he's in the book, and he hates it because like how they described him, he hates But it's crazy when I say that that's what Needo Brown is kind of like based on Okay, this is one of my favorite questions too, anal or digital analog. I'm an analog. I always say analog is better because, like, if we had to do a record together, we had to be face to face. You couldn't send me a two inch rail. You couldn't send me a real like those reels was like little doors, like so like you couldn't little sorry you mean it like that, but you know what I mean, like like a session in the nineties shaped like you had the whole album edited by cutting the tape. I always tell people, I said, Yo, super Thug is one take. Like a lot of people don't understand what what what what? I did that in one take because I didn't know how to punch in Yeah what what what? What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What? What?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What? What? What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What what? That's how I counted bars. So that's the reason why. Yeah, and I had to do this in one take. So when I left, I remember for real saying, I said, Yo, what we need is a hook. Brother, we got the hook and I said, no, we don't, and he took my ones out. What what what? What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What what one what what? What? What? What?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: What to what?
Speaker 1: He took those out and he left it there. I was like, they're gonna laugh at me, and he said, you're gonna laughed on the way to the bank around Thank you? You are right, all right? Sorry later let me admit it. Yeah, man, this is I'm so excited. Okay, let's the last one for this and this is the only one that I really feel like. Isn't a trick question loyalty or respect?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, I say respect.
Speaker 5: Yes, I said circumstantial for the most part, because the person who is loyal to you can lose respect for you but still stay loyal to you. You know, there's that loyalty that's attached to love that people can be unconditionally attached to, but they don't necessarily respect you. Will lose respect for you, but behind behind something you've done, you know what I'm saying. So, but the deep rooted love can remain their loyalty.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 5: Respect though you cannot necessarily have anyone's trust.
Speaker 1: Damn, you got too deep.
Speaker 5: I'll say. You got to have it all. Yeah, you got to have it both. You know, you gotta have the loyalty and the respect you know, because is when you also a person who's conditioned with a lot of loyalty and you feel like you lost respect. That's something like, you know, that's since a pride you lose when we feel like people don't you lose respect from the people you love? Right?
Speaker 1: I love it. I love that.
Speaker 5: You know, we family?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I always wanted to ask y'all, like I went through your catalog one of my favorite records. Every Saturday, I want to hear Saturday. Did y'all make that record on Saturday?
Speaker 3: But the crazy thing is I put that record together and it wasn't for Daylight Boom what go for it?
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: Amongst us as natives getting together.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We started do in these like little side groups where like say Mace, Dave, Mike G and Sammy B. Was supposed to be this thing like another.
Speaker 5: Dude from my neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pop life. They're supposed to be kids on Zen and five.
Speaker 5: Me almost like a parliament type of thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, groups, Okay, you know, okay, cute Q, Tip Africa, Juju from be Nuts and me.
Speaker 4: We were the fabulous fleas.
Speaker 1: Wait wait talking about yeah, see it again?
Speaker 2: Tip q Tip Africa. Jungle Juju from the Beating Nuts was also native to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and me forgot that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we first was really starting to hang around Jungle, Juju was always with Africa then because Juju like they beat shop together. So I thought Juju was a part of Jungle because Juju was always with Jungle because they used to him and him in Africa with like shot for records. But uh, yeah, we were Fabulous Flees. We did a demo and everything. Yeah, fabulous fleas Juju did I got, I Got the Table. But Juju did this one record. It was called Fabius Fleas. Uh, Africa did this joint called the Night I Got Swatted.
Speaker 1: It was banging.
Speaker 3: Tip did this joint. So I had to come up with something. I was like, damn man, this ship is crazy. So it's just one record I found overseas, the Mighty Writers Record.
Speaker 4: I put that together.
Speaker 3: I put all the stuff together, the beat and everything, and I became a roller skating jam called Saturdays. And the rhym style was based off of Chic when it was like you know, please girls. So that's how we were suppoed to rhyma with the record.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile Tommy boy was sitting us like, yo, man, everything is coming out dope. This Ringing Ring record is dope, but we need something else. So I asked him, I said, yo, man, can I take this back and use it for Daylight? And it was like yeah, heah, go ahead, And so the rhyme style became more of a singing thing. Five days you work, one whole day you're playing, and it wound up being Vinnire singing it.
Speaker 4: And she just saw yeah, yeah, Davin, it was a question.
Speaker 1: Holy ship, and I had to say, ray wing Ring, I had that in my less But that's also buddy, how did how did this record come come about?
Speaker 3: Jungle have showed up that day. If they would have showed up the day after, they could have been on ghetto thing. They just showed up the day was working on that record. Literally, it wasn't like a planned thing. They they came by the studio that day we was working on that record, and then we just kind of made it where like, yeah, y'all talked about Jimmy, we talked about Jenny. When Jimmy and Jenny get together, what is it? It's buddy. So that's how that record kind of came together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was just just like that.
Speaker 1: Your Oh, I didn't know that. I'm just saying like I just now discovered that. Holy Jenny, and.
Speaker 5: That's how you know you.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, Jimmy's the man anatomy, Jennifer's the girl, and that you put it together sex bud.
Speaker 1: But that's what let me ask about native tongue, right, because I actually had a native tongue t shirt on, but I put it on and it was too tight on me. Let me, let me get my life together. I didn't. I'm glad because between me and looking crazy, but that was like like to me, like I said, native tongue. When I thought of that, I didn't know that that was like a crew like like almost like right, and you don't see that no more. You don't see like, uh, a Q tip running around with like a day I sould. You don't see a bust of rhymes running around with you know these? How was it being a part of native tongue?
Speaker 5: How was that?
Speaker 3: I mean, we were just friends, man, I know it sounds weird to say that, meaning like when we came into this and were running around with Paul.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Prince Paul could be working with m see.
Speaker 3: Light so then that's how we started hanging around on First Priority Music, which was Light and Audio two.
Speaker 5: And so it was my first record I ever mixed.
Speaker 4: Down was like swinging yeah with Prince Paul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Prince Paul you yo, it was just like you were happy to be down dull, right because before we came out, we were in the Latin quarters and we would see, Yo, they go Caine, they go this person, Yo, they go Greg Nights. So like when you on you hanging with everybody, it just becomes like, but who after the day on day you really hang around with and it just became jungle. Jungle brought through Tip. So then Tip is down and then we meet Fife and Ali. You know, we just became cruel like that, you know what I'm saying, Like, but it just showed up at Calliope.
Speaker 1: I just feel like Buster was just yelling the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 3: He sounded when I met When I met Buster, Buster had to been sixteen, and he sounded exactly the same way like his voice Like I just couldn't believe he was sixteen.
Speaker 1: Bust the called me the other day, I kid you not right like three times, So I'm thinking someone died so I picked up. He's like, yo, god, I just want to let you know I changed your lyric on the vocals cover me three times because he's the lost story. We got all money right remixed together, and like he's such a he's such an artist artist that I had said twenty two on the record, but it's the year twenty twenty three. So he changed it, and he wanted to show me that respect, say, you know, you know I changed your vocals. But I was like, you know, let's bust around you, brother. I respect you. But he's just very he's an artist, artist, yes, for real, scientist, anythingcredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you go.
Speaker 1: Ever, yet he don't mind about his sneakers.
Speaker 2: Going back to the native tongues and don't amost seemed like an extension of Zulu.
Speaker 1: Was everybody a part of Zulu?
Speaker 4: Not at that point, maybe Mike Mike and.
Speaker 5: He became a part of Yeah he did, he actually did. Yeah, but more yeah, more so those guys. I was definitely heavily associated, being around all the time. Yeah, and I think I've stayed associated longer than everyone else. But yeah, it was all native tongue was definitely an extension of Zulu nation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you have a relationship with Africa Bado.
Speaker 5: I had a relationship with Bam. I toured with Bam, Me Bam, Arthur Baker, Uh Danny Automata, we did the Tommy Boy twentieth Anniversary tour.
Speaker 4: We would see Bam a lot though.
Speaker 5: We were running to a lot of DJ getting yeah.
Speaker 3: And just seeing hanging out being blessed to hang out at Red Aler's crib and you know, all those records, and you know, then heading up to the Bronx and you would see like we would be with the Violators, so we were running to Bam. We would see Jazzy j So, yeah, man, it was it was you said you was violating you you run the violators? Yes, you know they ran with Red you know they they they kept him right, you know Baby Chris, So going up into the Bronx and messing with Baby Chris and all them. We were, you know, occasionally running to Bam and them up there.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, because we had crazy Legs on here, right, and Crazy Legs kind of implied that there was other people that was rocking the parties other than Cool HERK. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He said that Bambada bestowed it onto herk that that that mental of him being the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it kind of that was his senior kind of hurt my feelings because I had never heard that before. But other people say that as well. But what does y'all take on that? Like, you know what I mean, I'm gonna drink to that. Okay, I don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: Because I've witnessed that. I've witnessed to be debatable.
Speaker 1: Because many people debated crazy Legs, they did not debate them. Was called and doubled it down and we will get cool her to come here. But her is that doesn't take away anything is, for lack of a better term, the godfather, right, Yeah, So I him that.
Speaker 5: I honestly give him that. I mean, it's something that I've been identified with identifying with since I was a child, and you know, the first story to be told. I'm granted it's even debatable when they even talk about.
Speaker 4: What was going on in Brooklyn and there about to say yea, but for.
Speaker 5: That to be is a monumental event that people identify with Cedric Concida like that happened to be a dope fucking party obviously, you know what I'm saying that people kept going to not to take anything from anyone else, but it seemed like the ods was always on the Bronx and Manhattan, specifically Harlem when it came to the culture to begin with.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean anyone's history quite honestly, all is it's debatable. I mean, like what daylaw story we Long Island. No it's not, you know, but no, he was born in Brooklyn. I was born in the Bronx. Dave was from Brooklyn. We moved to Long Island. Like there's this aspects of everyone's story that you can turn around and be like, oh wow, extra p He wasn't necessarily like maybe born in Queens.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's from Halem.
Speaker 1: Like no, one ain't from where they you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, like, I think every.
Speaker 3: Aspect of the story, there's always another layer to the story. Is like he just said, like what that doesn't mean that Brooklyn started rocking. Once Bronx was rocking, Brooklyn was up and running the same way. Whose story gets told first, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, and individually as a group, each of you have your own perspective and might see things your own history, even differently.
Speaker 5: Definitely, Well we've seen things that we've experienced things right right, based on where he coming from from the Bronx and me coming from Brooklyn and then migrating to Long Island, our journeys was different within hip hop.
Speaker 3: Dog, I was a little I'm sorry because I was a little kid when the blackout happened.
Speaker 1: My mama was eighty eight.
Speaker 3: That was that was seventy seventy seventy eight or seventy six, and the blackout happened, Yo, all chaos south side my window. My mother wouldn't let me look out the window. And that's when hip hop right God is you know God really? Because everyone was still in equipment. We hear every city, I respect you.
Speaker 1: Hey do.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I heard that Rob Swiss podcast.
Speaker 2: He talked about that that everybody stole the equipment and all of a sudden, everyone had an exclusive club that was dj J Yeah yeah, executioner.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does. Yeah yeah, that's one of the dogest DJs executions yeah crew.
Speaker 2: And so he was saying that and he his what he's thrown out in terms of like his perspective and the dj the history and the DJs is amazing and check it out because.
Speaker 1: Because we're trying to get d J e f N to go back to DJ. I still rob. He just wanted to go buy you though, I'm you want to have borings right there carrying great transition. I want to to DJ my birthday, like I didn't tell you dog.
Speaker 5: Like this, if I gave you these certain files, you might make a transition. Because that's certain files. Is only amongst the homies.
Speaker 2: Because Native Instruments they sponsored me, and I didn't make the chance.
Speaker 1: I love it, but I love my missed. Missed didn't move on? Is a DJ DJ?
Speaker 3: I mean us being on the road and Mace had to carry his crate that struggle.
Speaker 1: People don't know what that is. Fucked up now back you know, I remember one time I was with he was performing in Detroit and uh rest peace jam massa J, and I told my DJ like go go get the equipment, go and jump on real quick, and jam Master J would not let Frock touch his equipment. Oh yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 5: That was like a.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. Like he was like, you don't I'm going to DJ putting normy right now. But it's like no, no, no, you don't know whitness it he said, no one touches my equipment. And I was people, what's set up their setups next to each other. There were different DJs rocking, yeah.
Speaker 5: DJ said us almost like a drum kit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, niggas, I would be bringing my whole that's putting it all together.
Speaker 5: Technology has evolved, it's been able to make us work together. But prior to that, it's just everybody got a certain hand weight, the way they structure their needles and all of that.
Speaker 1: And you don't have pennies. Yes, some people got nickels, depending how your hand is right, so look out how he is.
Speaker 5: It was always an understood thing for those who really respect. Yeah, you don't want you don't even want to rock on the next man's set.
Speaker 1: Like I remember going to clubs and I remember like funk Master Flex would like tell the DJ before him, do not play these certain records. I would be like, what So, I don't know if that's like a respect thing too. It's like, if I'm the headliner, you can't play the record before me that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you exhaust the records that you know are going to party in the headline DJ. He wants that for himself. I mean, that's that's debating amongst DJ because the good DJ could play the same record in a different way, in different ways, and yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and yeah, that's a debatable thing and not being a thing. I always took pride in being the DJ that played the B side.
Speaker 1: On the right.
Speaker 5: Is one of my favorite DJ even I even wait in terms, the hit record is not a hit anymore. I didn't play it later. You know what I'm saying, You know, like a memory thing.
Speaker 1: I like telling.
Speaker 2: I like telling the story through through the way the records that I'm playing, I'm telling you a story through.
Speaker 1: That's the way I like to play the records. So you're gonna play again, She's I want to come out. I think.
Speaker 2: Look, I have so much respect for DJing. DJing didn't come naturally to me. I didn't have any mentors. I was watching videos like I was getting whatever. However, I could absorb the skill and I was just but I would practice for hours upon hours before I had a club night or a set anywhere.
Speaker 1: And then once we started.
Speaker 2: Doing different things and doing like those practice hours weren't coming in anymore. And then the technology changed, and I'm like, out of respect to this art form unless I'm gonna put in those hours.
Speaker 1: I'm not going back on the sets. That's how I am. I'm seeing right now. If I'm not gonna go all the way in, I'm not. I'm not gonna do it no more so. I'm sorry that everybody so natural to you though, sorry to everybody he asked me for verses. Sorry, I like this shit like this, this is respect, I get it, but I'm what you want in my neighborhood is DJ Crazed, one of the DJs in the world.
Speaker 5: Incredible.
Speaker 1: I'm like, look at that.
Speaker 5: I can't do this.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, this guy is.
Speaker 5: Inspired me, like Rob Swift.
Speaker 4: Of Control, the beat junkies like Boogie Blind, you.
Speaker 5: Know, Goos Down, you know all of them. Dudes. Man, you know they don't even get the respect they deserve.
Speaker 1: It's something that I'm gonna take a shot.
Speaker 5: I know you don't.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take a shot to This is to sou and you know what western Pa, Dave Man what I didn't want to. I didn't want to be a heavy heart.
Speaker 5: Almost I'm hearing you.
Speaker 1: Bittersweet because you know why it is like, yeah, my big brothers in a lot of ways. That was on Timmy boy. Before me I came out, I felt like in a lot of ways, I followed your footsteps. When I'm following your footsteps, following your footsteps, and I can remember when I found out that you guys was fighting for your rights. I remember that moment. I remember me sitting back and saying, their story is more important than minds. And what I mean by that is I knew y'all getting y'all rights back first was more important and it's still it still was to me because y'all, my ogs, y'all, people who I salute, y'all, people who I take my hat off to. So y'all getting y'all, yeah, I'll getting there. So y'all getting y'all flowers meant more to me. And that's when I knew I was a good person. It's about them. It's about not me. I get it afterwards, but they get their rights back, take it and hip hop stood with y'all, And I'm telling you that's a beautiful thing. I really really respect y'all. I really honor y'all, and I'm thankful. I'm thankful that y'all out here man real.
Speaker 2: Y'all him, Yeah, that's real man, and just a testament to like. People laugh sometimes when I bring artifacts. But I bought this as a kid. It was a single, and because I wanted to preserve the singles, I will cut cut the joint out and put it in a heart plastic joint.
Speaker 1: So it was good.
Speaker 2: And think about it a kid. Bind this and the legacy that's still today. What you guys are Yeah, you know what I'm saying. To be able to bring this now to this show today, it is incredible, man. And the legacy you guys have impacted all of us, the entire culture, every single person here.
Speaker 4: It goes without words.
Speaker 1: Man, DJing got a tennis ball from nineteen ninety four exactually.
Speaker 4: Before that for carrots he got a vote.
Speaker 1: Go man, Wow, I'm gonna be honest. That shit is so dope, bron you don't get.
Speaker 4: Them sign question.
Speaker 1: I'm about to say, I'm taking the shot of that too. Don't know, worry no more, don't Yeah, yeah, I'm sure this is it for the god you're lying now, let me ask you what the hell is potholes in my lawn?
Speaker 5: Biting my rhyme? That's it?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what holes in my lawn? By the way, I was poor you. So I didn't have a lawn, so I didn't know what the lawn was like somebody's lawn. So I always wanted to ask you that MC.
Speaker 5: Bite my Ron.
Speaker 3: Ye, as long as our rhymes and the poddles or the chunks that I sucker, MC would have been off of the tape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in deep.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm like in the studio room when I hear the rhymes, but the beauty was I got it. That was like my main connection sucking with them. When I'm hearing the rhymes, I'm like, oh, should I know what the you means?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you want to say something else, so, you know, speaking about you know, rest in peace to Dave. I remember me being with Pun, right. I remember me going to actual puns fore the room and I stood on the side of his casket, well in front of his casket, and everybody kind of you know, grabbed me and said, he's not suffering no more. And I couldn't. I couldn't grasp it because I've never seen Pun suffer. But then I started to think about it. I used to remember at times when Pun be fall to sleep sleep apnea. I didn't know. I was too young at the time, I would look at pun and I would step my story up. I thought I was being boring, you know what I mean? I thought I was being boring. So is that something that you guys knew about Dave or no, we he knew.
Speaker 4: I mean, and Dave had congested congested heart kailure.
Speaker 5: We've been knowing about it since Grind.
Speaker 4: Grind date, the grind Ate album.
Speaker 3: There were certain things he could have done or was told to do, and at one point he could be doing it, you know, and you just get comfortable, yeah, and Okay, I'm doing what the doc told me to do. I'm on pointing, and sometimes you just want to fall off your regiment of health, your healthy regiment.
Speaker 4: And that was about battle that he had. Mace can.
Speaker 3: Confirm what I'm saying as far as like I said to Mace, like me and Dave was together on the Guerrillas tour last year, and I was just saying, like, yo, man, Dave is having a problem with just this one song, like you know, like we get through it, we rocket, but when he gets off stage, it was just like a lot as if we had performed for almost an hour. So I was like, yo, man't I don't think we're gonna tour no more. I just really don't think that's gonna be possible. But I'm being honest death Nah, I just thought like it would be like, Yo, Day would show up on the TV.
Speaker 4: Shit, you know what I'm saying. He could sit here and do this.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'd narrow down to like doing three or four songs. You know.
Speaker 3: We were just thinking that early about you know, adjusting things, you know, like when the Grammy thing came up, all right, this is a good opportunity, let's do this.
Speaker 4: Day was all in. But then he just I guess he just felt like, well, no, I really can't fly. And then this didn't happen.
Speaker 3: So we was all on the phone after that Grammy joint and we were just all really talking and Yo, we was like yo, man, it was a bittersweet. I was like, Yo, thank y'all for like giving me the props to what I did. But I just miss my niggas being there with me. And I was just like, yo, man, and we just all started laughing because I was like, Yo, this nigga, Melly Mel still got.
Speaker 1: Like seven hundred muscles, you know what I'm saying. He looks amazing. He wanted to fight somebody, yo, And I was just like in the day, it was like we was all laughing together. We just all laughing. Was like yeah, man, we gotta get a health right man, like you know. So it was it was something man. It was like we all talked three days before we lost this brother, like, yo, we got to get this right. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I didn't see this ship coming. I'm being honest, I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, let's take let's take a moment of silence. Can you everybody back there take a moment of silence, Yeah, man, and really apologize fellas.
Speaker 3: No, man, you know, I mean we all lost. Yeah, it was just all lost. Yeah, tears are warranted, you know, Like he was a good man.
Speaker 1: Did he get to know that you got the rights back? No, he knew all that, Okay.
Speaker 5: It was just that we were all in the ship we was talking about forty eight hours before even yeah wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah we was ready, no, because we already knew, like and we was ready.
Speaker 3: I know for him, he was ready to go. Yeah, I know for him though. It was about it was cool. Yeah, like I said, all the ship was set up that Webster Hall.
Speaker 4: Ship was set up. We had to spotify shipsut.
Speaker 5: We was Yo. We was on it.
Speaker 1: We was on it.
Speaker 3: But I think Dave knew his limitations and he was just trying to be there for us, you know what I'm saying. And he didn't want to let us down, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I'm trying to talk about her going to the grand because he was still trying to go. Me and have both been struggling with some health issues, you know, but this was way more severe than me. And I'm like, Smiles would call me up. A tour manager. He called me up and we're like, yo, man, I don't think this dude should do this. Man, you know, figure out how to let Merce just do this by himself. So we call on the phone with a call and I'm like, yo, man, this is how I feel. I'm thankful for the opportunity, but maybe it is just like Merce rock And he was still adamant about trying to go, and then even down to trying to make it to the Grammys. He couldn't make it. The day of his flight, he couldn't make it. Yeah, But after the Grammars, we were on the phone, you know, proud of him for holding it down like he wrapped and killed it, held it down. You know, we on the phone like just ready like talking that good shit. But how and even business things, structured things that we knew we still needed to complete, that we completed like it was gold time, nor it was go time. Ma fucked up with it.
Speaker 1: It was a loss to all the hip hop you know what I mean. But I imagine this is me, just me just seeing you brothers talk about it. And by the way, thank you, thank y'all for being you know, open open, because like I said, with Pun, I felt like Pun was my best friend, right, but I felt like I was naive.
Speaker 5: Of Pun's funeral his son was born. What we had a show at the Roxy, the Roxy in l a And and the night of his funeral his son was being born, everybody who was pretty much at the funeral came to the Rocky held us down till he got to the show. Wow, like everybody.
Speaker 4: Like, yo, it's crazy because.
Speaker 1: Look a little crazy. You look a little crazy. Yeah, look like that. Okay, I don't know what that it was, but that's drift, yo, yo. So what's your favorite place to perform? Don't tell me? Dudel dof Germany. That's your favorite place in the world. It's my favorite place. It always brings up. Oh they own money.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say, man, it's a lot because we from the jump, we was always out there. We love the tour like us and try would be together and tipping them and be like, you know, two weeks and they be yo, we want to go home. We always just wanted to just keep going. So it's a bunch man. It's UK like the UK is like home. London is home. I can't but London it's home.
Speaker 5: Question.
Speaker 3: But uh, you know Japan is dope hour okay hours banging. That's not mainland Japan. But but yeah, ok, and I was dope.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? But for me it became more who we touring with, you know, because there have been so many great places, but to repeat them with different programs, you know, rocking with you know, especially with people you love and respect, you know what I mean. I'll never forget rocking with now Rogers and Sister Sledge one time, No, not Sister Sledge point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Dog got music as a allowed us to rock, as you said, all rap program it could be us and any Kravitz. It could be us and Tito point we did to show us, Tito Pinte and Regina Bell like we've done it.
Speaker 4: Like our music just has just allowed us to go any and everywhere. You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's just like whether it's like he just said, like we could be over here doing something with someone over here. We can come back on this side and we we we were bad bunny. We like we were able to run any which way you point, We can do it, you know what I'm saying. I'm just saying, Yeah, he brung out I forgot who he brung out. He second, but on a second weekend, I know he brought uh come on, Luis Feliciano.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, you knowing your ship.
Speaker 5: We used to playing on stage for two hours us. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know yeah, actually used to that said I said, no, I remember the first time I went to Europe, I did forty five minutes. They was like, that's okay. All the niggas w course and you better not do it on the track no backtrack vocal.
Speaker 9: I'm friends with DJ f N he won't even Yeah, DJ, so to the Canadians that we did, I'm not sure about that, DJ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the native instruments joints I took.
Speaker 3: Okay, my back, my man, I apologize with us traveling around the world, that really helped us because.
Speaker 4: The states Man, this hip hop thing was ours. So like you could do a show in l A.
Speaker 3: People show up at the House of Blues, but it was just kind of normal, you know what I'm saying, Like you could be rocking. You see a bunch of niggas talking and if you could turn me like, yo, stop talking, nigga, I'm rocking. Where you going overseas? It was like, yo, you don't live here. This is special to us. So like they wanted you to give them everything. You couldn't short change them, you know. So that's that was being honest. That was our school. Like so when we came back to the States, we provided that where we made sure like yo, like we do that to this day.
Speaker 4: I did at Coachella.
Speaker 3: Some some girl didn't put her hand up or she wasn't like doing the pledge I told her to do, Like I made every one point in her ass like yo, like a partaking this we want to make this an experience so that those are different. Definitely lessons we've learned, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I remember I was in Warsaw, Poland one night and I care up there and they're saying c.
Speaker 10: NN.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying to the promoter, I said, how long have they been saying this? They said since seven o'clock? So I was like, they think they think I'm late. They're like no, but then I look and then they're like, everyone shaved their head to look like you, Nori, and I was like, that wasn't a good idea. Look like skins scared them? You're talking about? Can you tell them to put their hair back on? I'm sorry I lost the focus because you it's crazy. We're a bunch of kids from Queen's Raised, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn, and we actually got to perform all over the world. Like that ship is crazy, like you think about it, like the countries that you guys been Like. I was sitting here with Chuck D and Chuck D said he's been to a hundred comes. Man, I didn't even know one hundred countries existed. I was like, really, he said, more than one hundred, one hundred and thirty four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I gotta say we've done probably the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I bringing it up, because.
Speaker 5: We we've pretty much been where everywhere probably.
Speaker 1: Gonna been to casts down, We've been.
Speaker 5: We've been where uh Cypercell has been, Nice Tea has been, We've been repeated offenders, had a whole bunch of places.
Speaker 1: How is that like rocking the world, because that's probably the only thing I missed about hip hop is rocking the world. Like when I'm more of that world, it's a blessing man like, like that's the only thing I missed. But other than that, I love my space. But how is it?
Speaker 13: Come on, you got the right colors on that colors? No, dog, you might be starting some trouble County. Huh oh, you're listen.
Speaker 1: That's that's the best rivalry Miami heat against the Knicks. But Regie Miller I hated him. I can't and Jordan Jordan crushed every year we would going, we get right next to it in Jordan.
Speaker 4: Junk on us.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I never got over it to be a Knicks fan. You know how hard it is to be a Jets fan.
Speaker 4: I'm a Knicks whoa.
Speaker 5: I'm a bad at wife. When it comes to the next.
Speaker 1: I'm a bad.
Speaker 5: My card.
Speaker 1: Oh being a Knicks fan is horrible. I just got to act like I ain't see the game, Like did you see the game? Like, no, I ain't see that ship. I don't want to. But are you a Knicks fan?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't really watch that.
Speaker 1: You don't funk with sports like that? I can tell you was fun with sports basket boxing and boxing. You've seen the tank fight. No, I missed missed the tank fighting.
Speaker 5: Oh my bad?
Speaker 1: Come on, that was the That was the greatest floss ever. We missed the fighting thousand thousand people. Yo, what is that we keep rolling up? Motherfucker? So for people that don't know, you guys have pluck one, pluck two, pluck three. For people that don't know, describe what that what that means for it.
Speaker 4: Was just a chance.
Speaker 3: It was just it was almost like a count like you know when people about the rhyme be like yo yo yo and about to say that the same ship. It was like plugged the count is plugged two. That That's all it was.
Speaker 5: And it was just for that.
Speaker 3: Plug tuning was just uh a routine. It wasn't really about it being a song. It was a routine. He would cut and peach the president and we will do that. We will do plug tuning.
Speaker 1: Did you do you? Guys?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna talk to you because you're here as an MC. Do you ever put yourself in that top tier category of lyricists that a lot of people put you in, including myself?
Speaker 1: I'm the only thing that my redding bands. Come on, bro, how you changing something like that? My wife might be mad at me. I'm sorry, he's the word sorry.
Speaker 2: You yourself a top tier lyricist, and that like a like up there with the greats.
Speaker 3: I mean me personally, I've never I've never done that. I just always said to myself, I am nowhere near galaxies away from the wackest nigga. Absolutely, but I've never But you are at the top tier. I mean, I appreciate when we can say that. I've just always been the person where I allow myself to get scared, Like when I gotta be on the record with Black Thought.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh no, this nigga's not gonna dust me.
Speaker 1: Like that's how I look at and that's how you maintained, that's how you're shutting. You know.
Speaker 3: If I gotta be on somewhere most shit, I gotta I start and my own nigga. Dave, he was like that, he Ya, I'm the person where if we had a studio session, so I know if we're going to go in the studio Wednesday and do something, so Sunday, I'm already righting Wednesday.
Speaker 4: I come with it.
Speaker 3: Dave would just be sitting there, listen to what I'm doing. He pulls out a path, he ships his ship out right there. That's how they That's how ill he was. So whatever I was trying to be or I have became, it's because of I was not trying to be left in the dust behind him, you know.
Speaker 4: So Nah, I don't. I don't think of myself like that at all.
Speaker 3: I just I really respect, you know, and I'm humble by whatever anyone feel how my skills are.
Speaker 4: But I'm always up for improvement. I listened to the young dudes.
Speaker 3: I hear ship and I'll be like, Yo, that's dope, and it just inspires me, you know what I'm saying. I was in La not too long ago, status selected was doing like a release party for a Kodu and I was listening to his ship.
Speaker 4: It's dope, and I was like, yo, man, this is dope.
Speaker 1: Like it is. I'm just always a student of shit, you know, always Well, well, we know you humble, but we're gonna we're gonna brag for you. Yeah, y'all one of the best groups of all motherfucking time. With no equivocations. I don't even use big words. With no equivocations, y'all are one of the best groups of all time. Things y'all make global music. You have sustained you guys, the fans, the people. You guys are the people's champions. And just in case you want to be humble, and we're going to tell you that to your goddamn yo, I ain't gonna lie down. D came in here. I'm tiring, yo, I'm so listen. I'm run to go to the store. I'm trying to put them with holy ship. You want to bring Damond in?
Speaker 2: Yes, I told them to get a chair, let's get Let's get dam and let's bring him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, hell ya.
Speaker 5: I need the water, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's make some I ain't gonna lie to you. I looked at you to the right, and I've seen it and I said, that's exactly how I feel like because because because New York man, we're in Miami. Was gonna show you in Day County in Miami Day County when, yes, when would be exactly you used to be little perto Rico. Yep. Did you see the take my yeah, no question, he put it on him. Yeah, yeah, definitely knocked him out with a with a jab to the to the ridge. I know, I looktend God bless me. Ryan Gotcia. I did like you, but I just didn't know. I know he wasn't Tankers a dog. That's too much. Yeah, that's crazy. That's crazy. So Diamond detos, what's going on? Yo? You know the albums out the rearview, the review, you know what I mean. And I'm here today to shoot one of the videos with the album I got with my man pause right here High that's right, and just here social port the family, that's right. I'm a huge daylight fl too. God damn it all we are. So you said you're filming the video today, christ is yours, right, So tell us, tell us, tell us what this record is about. The song Flying High. It's basically about you know, just just just moving forward and just staying above the bullshit. That's how I would call it, you know what I mean, not for real, you know what I mean. And you know your man right here, Pa, he don't do too many features. So when he blessed me with the verse, you know what I mean, I really appreciated that. You know what I mean, dude, don't do too many you know, appearances. So so earlier today you said that I see the picture with fat Joe right what, he's thirteen years old with the k next jersey.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember the start of jacket is in eighty four. You said you took that picture. Yeah, my man, Troy took it. We were together. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. And you see you see Joe. You see Joe playing basket. I don't did joke to play basketball. I'm just be honest. That's my friend. He had a little game. He had my friend, but Joe, and it's not something I think of. Don't take a basketball.
Speaker 5: You don't think of.
Speaker 1: Joe pop lock. And I've seen him that. I've seen him with the white gloves and everything. White gloves, white gloves, that's hip. So Diamond. Let me ask you because their story is so famous, This story is so famous, you know them them not you know, having the rights to they music and then they finally got the rights to their music. Where was you at when you when you found out that they got there, they got their ship back? Oh Daylight? Yeah, well I know they was, you know, they was going through it with Tommy Boy, you know for a while, you know what I mean. So you know it's artists from that era, you know, they they know that, yo, you know it's you know, I think after thirty five years, the rising first back to you. I think it's thirty but he's But I mean, only your masters is everything, you know what I mean. That's that's your blood, sweat and tears. So you know you should control that, right you know. I'm trying to get stunts blusting hip hop back as we speak, right, you know what I mean. So it's been thirty years Bigger Picture's ownership. Yeah, it hasn't been thirty years. Yeah, it has been thirty years. They have to give it back to you, right, yeah, yep. Ninety two Best Kept Secrets sadly got a one track mind. What a crazy trying to get my masters back as well. God damn it, man, Jesus, I would never think that we would have to have this conversation like that, right, because I believe that hip hop is one of the worst loans you could ever have. Like they give you this money, yeah, which is what it is. It's a bank loan. It's a bank loan, yeah, and it's my interest bank loan. It's the worst bank loan. So have you guys had a chance to speak to Tom Silverman direct or. No, this had nothing to do with him once you sold it.
Speaker 5: I spoke to him the actual day we started the boycott, That's when I spoke to him. It was that morning before we went up to sway M That's what I spoke to him. And what was this conversation Like, I really don't want to talk about it for me? Yeah, I really don't, you know what I mean. I'd rather talk to you about it off camp.
Speaker 1: I mean for me, I forgive him now moving forward, because forgiveness is about forgiving yourself, you know what I mean. But he has he didn't. He didn't want to negotiate with me when I was like, you know, he we had reached out to each other. I don't remember if it's him or as me or whatever. But we spoke and I was trying to buy the rights back from him direct and it wasn't amicable. It wasn't it wasn't nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this wasn't either if they had to fall in the hands of someone else for it to be right, right, you know. So that's why I picked him up then having to really talk about him, you know, because you're right, he's not really a good person. But I always knew that, you know what, you know, I knew that from the type of business he does, you know, I mean, here's who he is. Once I understood that many many years ago, all I did was do what he did, what he been doing to him. Yeah, that's all I did. And all I did was say what he said. I never said anything bad about him, just said what he said and let everybody else decide if it was right or wrong, because I already know what's wrong as shit, you know what I'm saying, right, And at the end of the day, like he always presented it, it's business right, right, yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all We wanted to take care of his business man. It don't really even get personalized. We don't even got to really talk on him. You know, we're just blessed to be here doing what we're doing with people who want to do business. And I mean, come on, man, let's be honest. Business don't necessarily always got to be fair.
Speaker 4: Business.
Speaker 3: You just gotta Once you show you no knowledge of something, maybe people will deal with you a certain way.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Hold on what you just said. You said business don't always have to.
Speaker 4: Business don't have to be fair.
Speaker 1: I have to be business.
Speaker 5: Don't try to be my friend, right, That's the thing.
Speaker 1: You know, that was That was the thing that with me and you. We went to CBS, and we went to CBS. I'm just leaving, timmy boy. I'm just leaving all this shit. I didn't want to be friends with nobody else. Not because I didn't want to be friends with them, but because this is a lot of investment. When you when you when you signed to a label, you start doing business with people, you start to like them, and then you don't know that they will be traded the next day, They'll be in Nebraska the next day, and then I have to sit there. You don't want to be friends anymore, So I don't want to be friends in build them no more like so like it's like because I started to understand business. When I was young, I understood friendship. I didn't understand business. I wanted to be friends with everybody. But when I got older, I was like, fuck being friends. Let me get my check. And that's it. It doesn't mean that I'm not friendly, doesn't mean but what it is is I'm more of a business man.
Speaker 5: No, I could still be your friend. I'm gonna find out if you're going to be my friend. That's where it's at because now it's just for me to own up to let me stop harboring these feelings that might I think it's going to affect the friendship that I think I shouldn't say that I feel is right for me and man, and I feel like I say what's right for me. The person who feel like I'm saying some foul shit, it's not my friend.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And we got to remember the history of this industry, the music industry, it's always been a racket. Yeah, a racket at the club, not like the club, but like the club, actually like the club.
Speaker 4: That's the foundation of the music industry.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell people to go do your history and understand it and when you understand where it comes from, the evils that come from that.
Speaker 4: You know, we understand.
Speaker 3: I mean me and Dress we've talked on this and we actually yeah, and we've said, like, yo, man, if.
Speaker 4: A if a label was just fair, fair far.
Speaker 3: Cats would be millionaires if they were just fair right, throwing out the overks thin yourself, just fair right. But business is not about being fair. Business is about being business. It's like a chess game almost what you negotiated with, Yeah, what you get?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So this chess and it's Othello, you know how we got to move amongst the game of deception.
Speaker 4: Yeah? So like you said, like we could be young, Yo, I know this dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna come in here, he's gonna want the girls, he's gonna want the tims and all that bullshit. And it just taken everything from you. You know what I'm saying, because they see that you want the glory of it all.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You want the bitches, you want the call, you want to and you get nothing. You want analytics. Yeah, and you won't read the fine print.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then and a lot of times even where even with us when you were look, let's.
Speaker 4: Make sure we have a lawyer. Yo, they had that covered. The lawyer was down with them.
Speaker 1: Niggay man, that's what's fucked up.
Speaker 11: You know what I'm saying, Cohoo's with each other that one more time the lawyer was in co who's with the fucking labels?
Speaker 5: Everybody is in the close of the deal. If you're not paying your lawyer straight out your pocket, win or lose, he's trying to get his bread off the clothes of the deal. And if everybody's moving on a percentage base, you have the more money that's on the table. So if I could convince you to give up your publishing for your for more cash, it's more money on top of my percentage as opposed to what can protect.
Speaker 1: If you understand, you know what I'm saying, Holy.
Speaker 5: Supposed to what can really protect my client? So my client can have a longevity and I can have as a lawyer longevity with my damn client. But nobody ever really saw it like that, you know what I'm saying. First of all, when we came in, an't respect the ship to even make it around the block, you know what I'm saying. So you know, we was projected sales at somewhere like what fifty thousand units three ft behind rising. That's so, you know, but what the beauty I could say, in the entire relationship, we had no creative hole.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: You know most artists got the label gotten away of the records they made. You know, Tommy Boy didn't getting away of that. How they did get in the way if they wasn't feeling something like naming your album day Los Soul is dead, they'll pull back on the budget they're promoting. You know what I'm saying. But you know, we do what we did to supersede to be us, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like I said, man, and I'm sorry to cut you, but ain't about harder that dude. I mean, like it's not oh ship, but it's it's really not, man. It's just about we are where.
Speaker 5: We are, not even just him though it's not a systematic.
Speaker 4: You know, it is systema not the same thing.
Speaker 5: We are another tired with a different rim.
Speaker 2: And even some of these label exits, they not they don't even know what it is is because it's something that was just following.
Speaker 1: It's been ongoing forever. It seems like this is business as.
Speaker 5: Usual, standard practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was following what you did.
Speaker 2: A lawyer might even tell his client, Hey, this is what it is. But you're dealing with oftentimes young artists like I just want to get the deal. Yeah, you know, but but if you look back, if you really look at it, you're you're still exploiting a young mind. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's all circumstantial. It's where you we are in your life, you know what I'm saying. If you just working McDonald's, were hustling on the block, that deal, that's.
Speaker 1: It's a life change.
Speaker 5: You just if you just expect to grow.
Speaker 1: All of us is dumb because we all kind of knew that it wasn't the right thing to do. But we're like, yo, we're going to fix it the next album.
Speaker 4: Right right.
Speaker 1: Yes, you always do feeling that you could renegotiate it in a sense, and which is in my case. We had component Noriega, then Copone went to jail. I was forced to do a solo album. I wasn't going to be a solo you know what I'm saying. So I was forced to do it, and it worked out for me in the long run. But if I had that that not happened, I would have been signing this Coon nor Jega for life. Yeah all right, I'm sorry. I did not read that ship at all. You want penalty penalty? Yes, like over there with Ian Well, I was with Neil Levin. Oh Neil.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually I love Neil to me, and Neil always still cool. It's still cool to this day. He's he's probably cheapest person I ever met. But he's also fought for me because when I it was it was a time where you had to have a Hype Williams video or you're not going platinum. And I needed a hype Williams video.
Speaker 4: And I remember Tom would never do a Hype Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did, I got I got it. I got that budget of the crack. I got so and I remember this. I remember this like it was yesterday. Hay Williams caused me and goes, uh, book a room at the Trump So I go, all right, this is the time where Trump was not racist. Man, that wasn't ready. So he wanted the politicians. He want a politicians. So Ike Williams just like the rich guy he was at the time and he is still probably. He said, book a room of the Trump. So I didn't know what to do. I just booked the room at the Trumps. He said, he comes, shows up. He says, yo, let's call Roy Jones and I said, it's called Roy Jones. He's like, yo, I think Roy Jones needs to be in your video and he needs to be boxing in your video. So I was like, all right, cool, I've never called Rode James before in my life. So calling Roy Jones is at the Trump Hotel. So Roy Jones goes, what, you ain't gotta fake my fight because he's like, yo, fight. He's like, yo, I want to fake a fight, like you know what. He's like this, how this how, this is how hot Rory was at the time. Boy was like, you ain't gotta fake a fight. I gotta fight in two weeks. Y'all gonna come and film it. He was like, but in my mind, I'm like, what if he lose, Like I don't want to footage him lose it. Like I didn't know what And Rory was that confident, oh yeah, and he said no man, we were doing and he was we went and oh man, he showed out that night this first time HBO cameras in that wasn't HBO cameras, and Rory fought for me. So Roy Jones revery, I owe you, brother.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: I told Indyo Champ, you gotta relax. I told him he gotta relax. That's my friend in Dyo Champ. You gotta relax. You cannot hurt Roy Jones. Better not better not Indio. You better not big up a Roy Jones. Man, I love it, Bob Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, hip hop. Hip hop has been good to us. We've obviously great to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, Like even in talking QUI since we talking about it, even with Tommy Boy man, Yo, Monica lynch Man, she held us down over there. Yeah, she was a shining light over there. And there's a lot of other great people over there that did right by it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So like honestly, like even tom was once the business was done, he had some dope ideas, you know what I'm saying. You know now then yeah, you know, like there was a lot of great times.
Speaker 4: You know, we just grew up, man, and we just grew up and was like, yo, man, this is what it is.
Speaker 3: This is unfair. Mind you, we had already been fighting to get what we need to get. He got hold of it, he got everything back. We obviously all know that it can be said that Tom got everything back to this flip it right, got he sold it? Yeah, you know, he lost it.
Speaker 1: Tell us.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to say, like, yes, I lost I was going to hold that.
Speaker 1: So please let me.
Speaker 4: Completely understand everything Tom had lost.
Speaker 1: We're not talking about I.
Speaker 4: Don't know about no bangship.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to say that he lost the catalog, lost the catalog to because he had owed money to them and he had to pay it back a certain amount of time. It came out that he didn't pay it back in a certain amount of times. So Warner Brothers took the label. So that's why we had the.
Speaker 5: Middle of us having bionics around the time and all of that. You know, my man, My only gright with him, man, is that he wasn't the one to come sit us down to tell us this transition that was happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well before it was about to go, I mean, wait, we sent it against I'm sorry, before whatever went down. We actually re signed once we was doing these triple albums we were finished. We actually was re signing with him, but unfortunately finding out that when he lost the label. When we found out that, okay, so the label's going to go to Warner, We're not going to be in a WEIS system any any label, whether it can grab Daylight, grab House of Pain or whatever. And that's what started happening is Sylvia or Rone wanted us on Electra. We was going to Electra. She wanted Timblin to do the whole album. We was like, we don't want that. We don't mind a few tracks, we just don't want them to do the whole album. And then certain money we wanted. We was like, if we sit down, So I knew Sylvia do My brother Rene McClean, Corey Smith, who was managers knew us.
Speaker 1: She was like, look man Corey Smith who manages Das Belle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we was like yeah.
Speaker 1: We were just like.
Speaker 3: She was just like, look, I just want y'all to be happy with whatever, go down, y'all don't got to come here.
Speaker 4: So we didn't wind up going there.
Speaker 3: Then it looked like Atlantic wanted us to go over there, so we wound up just telling Warner like yo, we just want out right, they was cool, they let us go.
Speaker 4: We just want them to be able to go out and do our own thing.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, you know, it's just being young and even being older, sometimes you just don't know what's going on in the business side of things because it's not you.
Speaker 4: You know, even when from their standpoint.
Speaker 5: You know, and once you get hold of learning your contracts and you're into having a family and personal life, you you still end up making some decisions that you feel you need to protect your foundation. You know, it's a certain sacrifices you make in because of the other two people in the group. You go think, let alone the family you know, just built, you know what I'm saying. And at the time, you know, for me, I felt like, yeah, we're making certain compromises and sacrifices just to keep this thing we built going, you know, and being a part of this whole thing and care hip hop that actually feeds our families. Man, you know what I mean? You know, So, but yeah, times changed, things moved along, he lost the catalog, we figured out how to still keep going. Wow. And that says still like in learning the business from the time where you feel like you stuck up until that moment.
Speaker 4: You learn a lot.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know you can't for a person for learning so much to know where they can figure out, not how to strategize. Where you got where they got their barking in power.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, because when he lost the catalog and got it back it went to Warner. Did he get it back?
Speaker 3: He got it back, He got it back years later, years later he paid for I don't know how.
Speaker 1: How he got it.
Speaker 5: It's even when warners, how did we were trying to get it. We weren't even trying to get it. We were just trying to get them to put it up when we were still lacking knowledge in business, just wanting the catalog up. And maybe.
Speaker 2: When you say up for sale or up for sure, because you remember, like all that was for streamings, for saying we missed so you could get the royalties off.
Speaker 3: So even at that point, Rhino Wanna was allowing Rhino to work out stuff. We did the live from Tramp's album whatever. But then when wait a minute, this infraction, as Mace would say.
Speaker 1: Is coming in.
Speaker 4: You know you owe you, you didn't you didn't clear potholes in my lawn.
Speaker 3: You didn't clear this sample so that's been want to shelf everything, So were trying to work it out with them.
Speaker 4: At one point Leo Cohen was over there.
Speaker 3: Leo was li was our ex manager, you know, well manage our rush managements. Simmons and Leo. You try to work it out. But then at one point and leaving, he went leaving and the new people come in. So it was all that type of stuff going on. Man, it was just a long period of us trying to put it up. We had I don't really say their names, but we had like a streaming company. At one point was like, yo, we'll pay for everything. We'll fix everything. Allow us to fix everything. We'll pay for everything. We told warn us like yo, this streaming company will pay for everything, fix everything.
Speaker 4: They still wouldn't bite.
Speaker 5: At that point, I felt like somebody was waiting for him to get it together, to get it back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for him, he came reached out to us. He had got it, He got everything back.
Speaker 3: But what I'm just trying to say, in hindsight, he was getting every even thing back just to flip it.
Speaker 1: Just to sell it.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: He didn't care about who.
Speaker 5: Knows, who knows Because I honestly, when he was trying to get us to do it. It seemed like he was looking to put put it all out he wanted when he sent to everybody these generic emails that kind of reverted back to contracts that were like eighty eight eighty nine that we weren't even doing with him in two thousand. You know what I mean? It was Yeah, well y'are seeing it all. We posted it all man, you know it was interesting, but it was him, Like I.
Speaker 1: Said, Man, honestly, do you guys think it was all worth it was?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Was it all worth it?
Speaker 5: It definitely was worth it. He learned so much. Yeah, I thank God for real, dog, you know, this is an extreme blessing. This is like, don't happen in a million years. I know what we went through even with each other. Yeah, where we almost caved into that fucking shit, you know what I'm saying. So you know, it's truly a blessing from God, and I'm gonna give it all the graces to God. Real straight up, I think.
Speaker 1: We can make his noise of God.
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm gonna be honest man, like it's a beautiful. It's a beautif and it's not the ending. I don't want to say this is the ending, because I feel like you guys got a whole other legacy that rehearse. And the thing about it is, it's not like we're playing football. It's not like we're playing boxing. We can do this ship for the rest of our life.
Speaker 5: You go on.
Speaker 1: So I would love to hear that New Day Live album.
Speaker 5: I really love about being a part of it.
Speaker 1: Come on, send me a joint, Send me a joint, because y'all truly deserve it, man, Like I can't see you know anybody deserve it more than you guys, Like you know what I mean. You guys have been lawyer to hip hop. You gave us your whole life. Like I don't remember not hearing the Day Soul track, Like I don't remember not hearing so what y'all did, what y'all contributed, it's warranted. I wanted to know this noticed. You guys are really one of the greatest, greatest groups of all time. The fact that you got your rights back really really, it's a beautiful story, man, It really truly is because you guys deserve it, and everybody, yeah, you guys deserve that, appreciate it. I'm happy for y'all. Man, y'all happy for your family. I wish you know, God bless Dave got to see, you know, more of it, and man wanted to show y'all that love. Man, you got more. I got a couple more notes. Let's go cold on Brett barras.
Speaker 5: Around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how much of for a new daylight project, how much of Dave's vocals would be involved in it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a bunch of stuff. I've been trying to get everything from his crib, this stuff there, but yeah, I'm not pushing anything. If it don't work, it don't work. I mean, sometimes we got to realize the reason why certain things were never put to light because they they weren't of the quality of what the person wanted. I really do feel that people sometimes need to realize that there's a lot of great producers. There's a lot of great MC's who we've lost, and a lot of times people just start bastardizing their ships, throwing it up, putting this out, and sometimes some of that shit wasn't meant to come out for a reason. So, I mean, it's the same with Dave's vocals. There's a bunch of stuff that I know he would just do when he felt the ghosts and wrote and if it works, it works.
Speaker 4: If it don't, it don't.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, We ain't gonna force anything.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I respect that does you don't have to answer if you don't want to. But moving on the Daylight as a group as a brand, does his family are they a part of that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Definitely, definitely for sure.
Speaker 2: Question yeah, because I know that gets complicated with people and it kid creates a weird I mean, it's crazy because I can say it.
Speaker 3: We literally had put together the contracts to make sure that was right four days before this niggas left.
Speaker 1: Wow literally and like like sometimes like I see like Havoc right, Havoc will go out and he'll call it mob Deep, but he'll be it'll be DJ L l E s, It'll be rapp anoid. Do I still say day Soul.
Speaker 4: It's daylight man.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, Man, I just know a lot of a lot of our brothers they miss him. So like when when most comes up and like, yo, man, I'm down the rock he rocked, you know, thought hit me like black thought, Like Yo, man, I'm standing in your service, whatever.
Speaker 5: You need say.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Most got an alien brain. He knows everybody's rhynd.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So you know, always came out and represented, you know.
Speaker 4: So that that aspect is there.
Speaker 1: But you know, I call it the.
Speaker 5: Super Friends when we get together because everybody delivered their spirit. Man, they make it daylight for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's a testament to the legacy.
Speaker 1: Now, domind d when are we getting d I T C on drink champs? Come on the whole d I T E slim y'all now everybody, Yeah, I went the whole stories.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh man, that I saw him sitting at the wire house.
Speaker 4: You need to be sitting that this.
Speaker 1: You've seen Kamala looking at him looking look at my boy, Mad Joe got the vice president looking at him. I like the death ship. I ain't never get invited to that White House ever. I don't think I'm never going to get invited either. I think my invites were You never know, we might have drink camps there right very because you know I've been very critical on kamalo uh and that Sleepy Joe. Just stay up like Sleepy Jo was just keep us on the World War three buddies kiss caffe, but kiss cafe and is like, he's a sleepy joe against that. I ain't gonna lie. He's leaping. You know, you know this is how you know. This is how you know when the dude is kind of fucked up. When you start, you start, you started appreciating Trump. You're like, man, I kind of miss drunk. At least he came outside. That's what happened with We all want to missing Bush. You're like, damn something to say that we can't find no younger people in this that that want to be in the politics. Let's check something new into the political. He didn't even take a munk shot who he got arrested without a month shot. He told them, if y'all give me my mug shot, I'm making money over it.
Speaker 12: So they wouldn't take his What he said, bro, believe that I gotta ship.
Speaker 1: Where's the who hell? I'm gonna make money off this ship? Give me money? He said, I want my monk shot, and they said, you know what, they did a mockery.
Speaker 4: Where's the monkey shot shot?
Speaker 1: Where's no she said somewhere that they ain't getting fingerprinted nothing. He got process. He got process, but he got process. He had to get fingerprints, and he had to get a mon fingerprinted. I don't think you got together that don't exist. That monk shot don't exist, Bro, you would see it. Mike Tyson has a muck shot. Everybody has a monk shot. Jackie Jackson.
Speaker 2: Together, they might have given him some presidential like we're gonna put your ship because he threatened him.
Speaker 1: He said I'm going over this. I don't think I'm taking and he said he gonna now street, now street about three. Yeah, yeah, I gonna lie. He started making me like him. You've been liking him, man, did kind of. I didn't like the racist ship. I didn't like the going at I don't like I don't like anybody reading like but but there's certain ship that I do. A lot of my friends was rich when Trump was in office. I knew no bout niggas with Trump was in office, biting. It's a couple of niggas back outside outside. Man, I'm sorry looking at me like sleeping Joe alone sleep. I'm sorry. I don't do politics, but they ain't inviting us to the White House. You got invite into the White House.
Speaker 4: We Yeah, we did the Obama leaving party. That was that was that was that was hard.
Speaker 1: That was that was hard. You got to meet.
Speaker 4: Michelle, Yeah, both of them, and both of them they seemed like they mad, Yeah mad cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he dpted me up everything.
Speaker 1: Wait them.
Speaker 3: Like so like you know, we wound up doing business because Michelle Obama want to hear the business you know what I'm saying. So we're doing the rhyme Like I almost messed up because I'm looking and you know the words.
Speaker 4: I was like, Yo, it's crazy history right there.
Speaker 1: That's dope. That is definitely really dope. Really do we never getting invited a way? You never know? You never know, you keep shutting them out. He might be like, let's do dream chance in the black house. I ain't gonna lie to you. Let me stop because you never know.
Speaker 2: MANA hit that hookah?
Speaker 1: What is that marijuana? That's marijuana? Uga, man this whole time?
Speaker 5: What kind of.
Speaker 4: Kia hookah? Some ship should especially.
Speaker 1: Real modern marijuana marijuana. It is marijuana. She got AI. Yeah, it looks like it's pretty good talking about AI. What do y'all think about? I mean the vocal ship I have Biggies Verse over mall Deep Joint.
Speaker 2: But no, but now the new business model is licensing your voice so that they can use it, because they're gonna be using in any ways. Really, yeah, hear that people are making deals that every time it gets used, they get fifty percent of the record or some royalty rate off of their voice.
Speaker 1: Sounds super dangerous, but but what other choice. It's such it gets weird now. Yeah, yeah, I heard Biggie rapping Prodigies Verse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Biggie doing Easy E Records.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw Michael Jackson doing uh oh yeah, the True the Snoop.
Speaker 1: Dogg, the Joint.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, this is what my niggas, Michael.
Speaker 1: It's scary.
Speaker 4: Michael Jackson doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah Jackson murder. I got it's Michael Jackson. It is so crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I heard the ship. I heard the whole ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what does this?
Speaker 5: What is this ship? I don't know? Like literally just got me bad side is how my smoke went and thinking.
Speaker 4: They can take confession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a whole nother side. That's crazy. They make phone calls line right up. They could call your kids and be like Daddy opened the door for ready, just did that.
Speaker 3: They just showed how they're doing something where older people like their children are calling them like yo, mom blah blah blah, got money. But it's like, yeah, I faking ship. So it's not being used for like anything of like use.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: By the way, I noticed you ate that whole cake yea off of us? Nothing that was That was the ultimate fat Boys ship, right, but none of us at the table, not even one piece. We like cake too. Yeah that was funny as that, man.
Speaker 3: I mean it just even now, I feel like even some real hip hop ship, that a ship could be lazy, Like you can turn around and be like, damn, I got eight records to write to. You can get this ship the right man for you, you know what I'm saying That right for you.
Speaker 1: Could write scripts, you write a book. I could write it, could write it. They could check it out. I see the Biggie verse. That's it hurt me. They do. That's the smallest.
Speaker 5: That's it's kind of dangerous because yeah, it clones people's voices to where it can make up a whole fucking cram scene if anything.
Speaker 1: Wo wow, I didn't look at it like that. I heard you just say that. I ain't look at it like that Holy Moly walked along. It's uh m hmmm, Hello, I got that point between AI and the defint.
Speaker 5: Holding somebody for ransom, but cloning somebody's voice saying.
Speaker 1: My hold on. They did that.
Speaker 3: I haven't met Bill Cosby never, No, no, never, We would see it, you know. Most obviously work with them. Y'all seen y'all seen Most, But we definitely worked with Bill. Yeah, acting Wise Cosby Cosby mysteries. Most was like a sidekick most acting those man is wild man Most Most.
Speaker 1: I believed him as a doctor. I was gonna go see him. Yeah, you didn't see him in the eight ship. He was a doctor. I believed black Heart surgeon. I believed him him. But earlier I said that, I was asked about African Mambada, right, and African body had some very serious allegations against him, and I could see certain people hold him down. And I can also see certain people who just not want to talk about it. Period. What what is that type of stance for all three of your brothers when you say, because this man did do a lot of great things for hip hop, but those allegations are kind of crazy. So what do you guys?
Speaker 5: I toured with, man, I never experienced no kind of vibe like that whatsoever. You know. For the most part, what's still whole dear to me is what I learned, you know, from watching as a kid. So I still hold them in high regard of all the tenements of peace, unity, live and having fun, you know what I mean, and everything we actually adopted from the Zula nation, you know. And so I don't know any of that other stuff. And yeah, the ship is disturbing, you know. I am concerned for him, his family and for the victims, you know what I'm saying. So I respect that, you know, that's where it's at, what he said. Yes, I respect that. It's a touchy situation. Yeah, you know, this is it it really, it really is, you know what I'm saying. But you know, over this entertainment, we are still real people, man, and you know, people live lives and something. You know, I've remember a quote from Hillary Clinton. Every family has the dysfunctions. You know what I'm saying is that she got.
Speaker 1: Yeah the mono, Yeah, big of Hillary, Glen. That was hard drink yet Hillary big enough just just dist yoke, real ship, you know. So man, you know what is going on the quarter drink. You know what I'm saying, right, So, yeah, but because we received you know, yeah, I leave alone. Let's all right now, you don't want to put the rubber on there. You're just going he's going raw metal. He's raw metal. I see you, I see you, everybody. I see You're gonna shoot the video now, all right? Yeah, Yes, I got god like one more that we're gonna get remember my ship drinks.
Speaker 4: I'll get through it.
Speaker 5: I know, I know it.
Speaker 1: We spoke about I don't know. We spoke about me, myself and early. But I want to go into depth about that record. Mm hmmm. Where where was you at when you when y'all wrote that record?
Speaker 4: Mentally, we didn't give it. We didn't care.
Speaker 1: I mean, were y'all doing it? Like?
Speaker 3: Was it just y'all walking around me? We had put together this album that was what it needed to be. We we thought it was a great album. Tell Me Boy was like. They loved it. They loved everything. They loved the fact that we could pull from the song called I Know and put you know, Steally Dan in it. They love how we could put from this song say No Go and take all the notes.
Speaker 4: But also Matt.
Speaker 2: Sorry to cut you, but they loved all of that without them wanting to try to look into clearing the sample. They I'm just saying they appreciated, they.
Speaker 1: Loved it all.
Speaker 4: But then they came to us like, Yo, we need.
Speaker 3: Something to jump off with, Like we need like something that's going to be the kind of the megaphone to bring people to the party. And so they said they needed a single. He always wanted to do something off Mace. He wanted to do something off the Deep Record record. I just felt like it was such a record that was so amazing us touching that what are we going to be able to do to that? So when when him and Paul or mainly May start putting the ship together, Dave was just on some clown ship with it.
Speaker 4: He was like, Yo, man, fuck it.
Speaker 3: So Yo, we're gonna we're gonna take this song from Jungle Brothers called black is Black.
Speaker 4: We're gonna mimic their rhyme style so.
Speaker 1: That the drinks I'm not sure. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: So it was I can drink though.
Speaker 5: He is not.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the blackest black record on Jungle Brothers straight out the Jungle album was like in a Meverick cut today people.
Speaker 4: So we we just took that rhyme style mirror mirror on the wall.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So he was like, fuck it, we just did something so easy, wrote those rhymes real quick here and God was like, yeah, nigga, we're gonna make.
Speaker 1: This so you know.
Speaker 5: So it's basically this is your throat and was on the song black as Black. Yeah, and that's where he comes in in his little part black is Black. Yeah, we just took it from Black as Black. We just took that rhyme style from Jungle Brothers.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It was just a throw away. There was no thought into that. It wasn't even on the album they wanted.
Speaker 13: It was just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like yo, know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You had already turned in the album or you gave him the basically the album.
Speaker 3: They heard everything we had did and they needed we needed a single, so we was like, all right, an esthetic.
Speaker 5: It was more so at that time for black radio. Yeah, it was called black radios.
Speaker 1: Called black radio.
Speaker 5: Straight up. We even got a billboard things says uh yeah, black bloody black music. Yeah yeah, I'm telling.
Speaker 4: You yeah, So it's like.
Speaker 3: Radio Yeah changed later, so that was like pretty much the second to last song that was done, wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The last song was living in a full time erar yeah wow.
Speaker 2: And then aesthetically the look that was the video and you guys that was always there, like you guys already had thought that through was it?
Speaker 1: There was no thought to it.
Speaker 3: I'm being honest man, like in us giving a throwaway, it had us giving who we were as people and how we was caring about shit.
Speaker 4: So once we saw that it was and it was crazy.
Speaker 3: I remember when the album came out and that ship came out and I'm a cute it was already DJing and and him was like, Yo, man, yo, Mercy ship is going and I'm an amazed this somethings like Yo, this ship is yoyo.
Speaker 4: I think this ship is about to go like this be myself And.
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 3: So it just kind of like the visuals just kind of was easy to fall into, you know what I'm saying, because I always say that.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 4: It's like I'm being honest and he's just right here with me.
Speaker 3: Like niggas wasn't no punk niggas, Like that video was a video like we weren't those type of dudes. We came from a place where you know, you could be different, but niggas knew you had hands. You know, you could sell drugs, but you could be into the coolest shit ever or the the you know, the punk rock shot whoever, who knows. Like that's one thing about Long Island, Like we hung out with the white kids who did the keg parties, and we brought them to our parties.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: So we was all around at Chartists. So that always wanted to be the dude upside down white people.
Speaker 4: So you know that's what it was. I mean, like it did work.
Speaker 3: It just kind of meshed into this thing like, yeah, man, we can make this about individualism and you know, being confident in who you are as a person. And you know, but we were like the dudes who loved the most hardest shit ever. We you know, we we could sing you any koojie rap record. When this dude was sitting here putting out his first joints. We knew all them joints, like strong city joints. Like we loved hip hop, you know what I'm saying. But we had no problem with expressing ourselves the way we chose to express ourselves.
Speaker 1: Because that's that's something that's very unique about y'all as well. Is y'all very creative when it comes to them videos, Like I don't think not one of youall videos looked at like another one of y'all videos. Let me tell you this.
Speaker 3: I can know who I'm talking from my standpoint. Okay, I was the dude who wanted simple videos I want like Yo, there wasn't one E E P M D video that missed. Like I'm being honest, I think that every daylight video was me because this is me saying like that's your preference. Yeah, Like I just thought like we missed it, like maybe ego tripping, but just being honest, every video, like like when try would do videos and.
Speaker 1: Be like, oh shit, these niggas nold videos like it was like, but that's how I feel about y'all every time.
Speaker 3: Thing with us, The thing with us is that the director would be so tired of doing the n w A videos with all the bitches and da da da, that when Daylight came up, they would be more creative to creative, and we'd be like, oh man, come on, yeah for real, holy for real.
Speaker 4: Opposite like for real, like I feel like breaking down video. It was like What the fuck is this?
Speaker 5: What video?
Speaker 1: You said to break it down video where we yo it was just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know it's funny the hip hop needed that. You probably that, but.
Speaker 1: This is crazy. I mean, hit every video you rhymes. I always thought that you guys bust ahead in creditble like busters like you guys and bust to me and all the dopest videos. And to hear you say that affectionatest though, you know, I mean, yeah there who got it there?
Speaker 3: And like I said, I mean I would and I hope. I don't want to disrespect any of the directors. I mean, like when we did ring Me Ring like yeah, like, but I'm just trying to say, like, I just felt like it didn't always have to be soul those look ringing.
Speaker 4: It didn't have to always you you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You didn't want all the bells and whistles you want.
Speaker 3: To just kind of could just be I don't know if I said a certain verse, the visual could match it. You had the input we had, but I don't know, mankind didn't care as much?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: Just like the more simplified. Like one of my favorite videos is the first Protected Neck video. It was just that I think it was black and white and it was just raw and gritty.
Speaker 1: That's ill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think at that time, being young, willing to take someone's lead and that expertise of what they do, you know, and just seeing what they come with it. You know, a lot of times if we didn't like shit, we didn't say it, you know. Yeah, that would be the dangerous part. We wouldn't say it, you know.
Speaker 3: So and by no means I'm trying to say I hated our videos, but I just felt like I never really walked away.
Speaker 1: A lot of times, like, yo, we nailed that ship went directors, you guys work with Diane Montelle ship, I can't even fuck it, Dave may Mark, Romantic Kid Ring Ring, y'all got the I mean they got a list we did, you know, say no go all that ship. But it probably went all out for you guys.
Speaker 4: And that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Buddy was something because it was just a vibe. I mean, that was his family and we just had fun shooting Buddy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, man, So what is your favorite video that you you ever film?
Speaker 8: For me?
Speaker 4: It would be Oh, I would have to agree, I would have to agree with you who was the.
Speaker 1: Wizard of Oz. It looked like you guys are having fun on that.
Speaker 4: We had a lot of fun. And that's one thing about us as a group too.
Speaker 3: We was always willing and had no problem with having people showcase themselves, not worrying about us, because that was one thing that even people are Tommy was saying, It was like, yo, you know that this video is showcasing Redman and Rod Digger, like like you know, because y'all faces is covered so your fans or these new fans may not really see y'all, But we didn't care. We played into the artimic was yeah, that was us always, you know what I'm saying. But Sally had a one track mind. The way this Nigga sat here video, I was like.
Speaker 1: Can we do a video like.
Speaker 3: Write the projects like we rarely did ship like that, you know what I'm saying. Fucking I know video and bubbles floating around. It was like, all right, and that's just crazy?
Speaker 1: Is is? I'm sitting around thinking y'all being the most creative and to me, I'm still standing by that. I'm not letting you change my minds. I think your videos was hard. I would look at y'all videos and be like, I want a video like that. I wanted to be creative like that. So the fact that you're sitting there, but I know you're perfectionists, I could tell.
Speaker 4: Like I said, it was just that.
Speaker 3: The directors was just so happy to do something for us because they felt like this could be something that can get me away from what I'm normally doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Stakes I was a dope video that was a video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we were supposed to actually with Nick Quested, we were supposed to do the business.
Speaker 4: I don't know what happened. We just never big up my boy Nick Questions.
Speaker 1: You know, Nick Questioning was the guy that was following around the dudes that crushed the Right house, that crashed the Right house. He was the dude that was filmed it. Yes, he wanted. He went undercover and filmed it. He has a whole documentary that's about to drop of him filming the guys who stormed the White House. He's a mediac. I can believe it.
Speaker 3: Because the joint on stakes is high. Where the country dudes like rap some something. Just a bunch of niggas talking. That's something he had filmed. It is like Nigga always going to cover with some ship. Nick did my first two videos. He did l A l A and he did t O n y Nick Question. So wherever you got Nick Question, you know, I got to learn him with love for you, man.
Speaker 1: But the fact that he went in undercover for us as a people like he's hip hop like niggas not racist, So he had to go in front like a Nazi. He had to act like a Nazi to get down with him. He filmed the whole ship. He has the whole ship. This ship is amazing. I didn't see it obviously yet like he put the universal feelings to the side. He filmed the ship and so he has this whole documentary. Nigga's crazy. But by the way, I appreciate that, I mean I appreciate I always say that to my friend he's over there. If you, if you have white privilege, use your white privilege or your or your friend for your friends or your friend, if you have it, use it. You know what I'm saying the same way, I'm gonna use my black hip hop for you. And Nick questing, he actually did that, like he to me he paid you back hip hop, everything that hip hop has done for him, for him going under cover and filming the Magna by the way, which I want to seek.
Speaker 4: I definitely want to see that hold up.
Speaker 1: But let me just tell y'all, man, I really appreciate you brothers taking the time out to come see us, to come chop it up.
Speaker 5: We appreciate y'all having us strength.
Speaker 1: Man. Yes, man, I love the show man. It's your time to give you your flowers. I hate okay, and it really is because hip hop has saved my life. Literally, I had six months when I came home from jail, has six months to get a job. And if I didn't get a job, I would have went right back to jail. And you know a job I got is hip hop. That's doe, man, that's dope. I literally went to McDonald's and they told me no, yo, but I would have worked at McDonald's. I was willing to work at McDonald's and they told me no, you're a feeling it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I mean, like Premier had told me something like kind of similar with Malachi, you know, like from Group On, you know, and hip hop. It was just like the judge was like yo, he can go away, and they was really speaking on behalf of them and they're having them say like yo, so why don't you have him? Do what y'all doing? You know what I'm saying, Like it's just dope power. Hip hop has placed people in the fabric of a culture, you know, and saved their lives with it.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, that's everything, man, the.
Speaker 1: Company countries use name and just just just now like people from the Bronx Long Island, you know, queens. He supposed to be naming walsall Pope, dudes who Germany and like that. Like you know what I'm saying. You know what now we are yes, yes, because this is a beautiful thing. It really is. Man. I really wanted to give your flowers out. I found out too late that Diamond d was coming here because we would have had you give your flowers. But we want to give your flowers with d I TC where everybody plays. We would love y'all put it together. Please don't want to give show biz a g flowers. Give you your flowers so bad because this is truly what me and EFN want to do is in this game, if you have ten years they say that you're washed up, and this is only hip hop. They don't do that any Rolling Stones, they don't do that in rock and roll. They say that you're seasoned when you have ten years or fifteen years or twenty years more. So I want to stop this and hip hop. That's the reason why we created this show is we want people that is seasoned as veterans to have their flowers, to.
Speaker 5: Have them stopped. Already, Yes, stopped.
Speaker 1: You truly, you guys, truly really, everyone who has fifteen years more in this game, we have to salute you to brothers like we have to. Like, I love the fact that Chuck d is what is it his thing now called Alliance hip Hop Alliance where he's actually fighting for us to get medical rights. Actually, Curtis Blow. I fucking love that. I want to support it so much. I want to I want to donate, I want to do whatever, because hip hop has to be taken care of. We have to take care of each other, so otherwise, you know, it's kind of like it's kind of like whatever, like you know what I mean, Because it's just like I say, with fad Joe, me and fa Joe haven't seen each other like six months, he's been busy. I've been busy, doesn't I don't have to I don't have to speak to him all the time. My love for him is always there. That's the same thing what we have to do with hip hop is like sometimes we can't participate, but the love has to always be here and with you guys. I seen that, Like I told you, I literally tears came out of my eyes seeing y'all celebrate, seeing y'all count that down, I was like, yo, I swear to god, I was like, I wanted to be there. I was like, oh, ship Like. I was like, yo, I really wanted to rewind right after we were both like. I was like, if I would have knew an hour ahead, I would have I don't know how I would have got there, but I wanted to celebrate that moment. But this moment is also just as important because I wanted to give your flowers, see your face, and tell y'all how important y'all are to hip hop, how much that y'all contributed, and how much we appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 1: Man, for real, man, y'all bro, and you know what crazy? You know what's crazy. I to be honest and I'm sorry this to David's here right now. Question, I really want me laughing at me. I feel him cracking jokes on me. That's what I feel.
Speaker 3: I said like he said it when he was here, he loved you because he really I remember us doing this thing with you and Tommy Boy, and we was like, he was like, yo, dog, this nigga got something.
Speaker 1: He's good at this ship. Yes, I feel him. I'm being honest. I feel him here in this room. Mean to be spiritual, like you know, it's crazy, I really do. Like like like when my father passed away, I became spiritual and I started to realize that maybe I didn't lose him. I lost him in the physical form, but I didn't lose him. And it be times I just feeling and I was telling you, Dave is in this room right now. We we love you, we miss you, brother. We're gonna hold you down. Dayla soul Man, forever man. We we that is forever man, day soul Man. I really appreciate this. We did straight three hours man. It felt like three manes because because because I'm so excited, and you know what again, hip hop has to celebrate hip hop. Another coach is not gonna celebrate us. Yeahs ain't gonna big us up. Rock and Roll ain't gonna big us up. Heavy Meadow ain't gonna big us up. So we don't big each other up and tell each other how great you are, especially when you are great.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: These people that's not great and they get bigged up, but your brothers are great.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 1: I want to say, rest in peace, Thank you man. I want to say, you know, daylight soul forever. I want y'all to know that y'all appreciate it. We love y'all. We're gonna hold y'all down.
Speaker 5: Love'll take you.
Speaker 1: Wanna take a couple of pictures, Let me do y'allo. By the way, I'm being honest. You better not keep that down because I'm still that.
Speaker 10: One.
Speaker 5: Check out Richmond Vinyl.
Speaker 2: Drink Champs is a Drink Champs ll C production in association with Interval Presents. Hosts and executive producers n O.
Speaker 1: R E and d J. E.
Speaker 2: F N from Interval Presents executive producers Alan Coy and Jake Kleinberg.
Speaker 1: Listen to Drink.
Speaker 2: Champs on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs, hosted by Yours truly, dj E f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms at the Real Noriagon, ig at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj E f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drinkchamps dot com