Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it's Tuesday, January thirteenth, the day that former President Bill Clinton was supposed to show up in Congress and give some testimony. Well he didn't show up. He sent a letter instead, and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and Tjes. It's a kind of a long letter, but he could have just put four words on there, kiss my entire ass.
Speaker 2: I wondered where the fourth one was coming. All right, you went with entire all right now. Instead, he alongside his wife, Hillary Clinton, she was set to testify tomorrow. He was supposed to testify today, and I say supposed to. They were subpoenaed to testify today and tomorrow. They sent a joint letter. It was eight pages long, and it was kind of like, well, they ended the game of chicken, because this has been a standoff that's been going on for months now, and they basically put it very clearly, do what you need to do. So we're doing what we need to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you a game of chicken. These are some pretty big chickens they sent into this fight for them, because these letters came from some really high profile and high powered attorneys, written on their behalf and laying out all the arguments for why they're not legally required to show up. If they don't show up, you're subpoenaed by Congress and you don't show up. That is a crime, and they can be held in criminal contempt and throw the Clintons in jail.
Speaker 2: Correct, Even the Clintons even addressed the possibility of imprisonment, and they are just saying this is their time to take a stand. By the way, the last time do you know the last time a contempt of Congress charge was successfully prosecuted where someone actually was charged, convicted, and actually punished Watergate. We're talking nineteen seventy four g. Gordon Liddy. That is how rare this is, That is how rarely it's used. It might be threatened more than it should be. But if they go forward with this, and James Comer, Republican from Kentucky, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, says that he is going to file contempt of Congress charges against the Clintons next week.
Speaker 1: If if this committee has to vote on these contempt charges, and then it has to go to the full House, and all kinds of stuff and steps have to take place before we get to that. Can you imagine we're going to get to it. They were supposed to. Yes, he was supposed to testify today. She was supposed to testify tomorrow. This was still supposed to be behind closed doors, so it wasn't supposed to be necessarily a public spectacle. Their argument is everyone else that you subpoened as a part of this, you waved their requirement to show up and testify, So why are we being treated differently?
Speaker 2: Correct? They said, seven of are the eight people subpoenaed, were allowed to just submit written testimony, basically just saying in written form what they knew and when they knew it and how they knew it. And the Clintons say they have already given the limited information they have to Congress, and there is nothing more for them to give. There's no more information for them to share. So this is a political game.
Speaker 1: Obviously, anybody, no matter what side of the aisel you're on, you can understand that, yes, this is clearly what we're looking at, and that one of the funniest was saying, it's not funny, it's whoever's representing Hillary Clinton, Like why is she even here?
Speaker 3: She ain't got nothing to do with nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was like well, I'm sorry, can someone explain to me why I'm involved in this in any way? Shape?
Speaker 1: She was not, And there are no accusations about, first of all, any wrongdoing, any crime on his part and ever. And also she's never just been attached.
Speaker 2: To the guys, not even a little bit. And Comer even said today, no one is accusing Bill Clinton of anything, any wrongdoing. We just have questions. I thought you mentioned funny something else that was funny. We'll get into the letter and the contents, because, as you might imagine, it was very well crafted. But i letter. They even suggested, I bet you're going to hold a press conference. I bet you're going to have an empty chair to show where I should have been sitting today. Sure enough, Representative Comer, when speaking to reporters just a short time ago, had a chair left empty to call attention to the fact that former President Clinton was not there. So it was funny. He even called him on it, and they did it.
Speaker 1: But it's it's a game. Who knows it better than Bill Clinton, everything that's come at him over the past forty fifty years. So, oh my goodness, this guy, he's seen it all. But this is a show. This is a spectacle. Now, how far are they going to take this thing and try to pursue Now, there is a DOJ right now that would probably.
Speaker 2: Happily because foul charge. That is the last step. So if that passes the panel, the full House votes to go forward with these contempt of Congress charges, then the DOJ has to make the decision to prosecute. I think we all know that latter part of the is almost a sure thing. They got this thing ready to go, like they are ready to get.
Speaker 3: Like those letters for the Kennedy say, BONDI.
Speaker 2: Is salivating what like what a legacy for her waiting to prosecute Bill Clinton for contempt of Congress?
Speaker 1: Maybe the Clintons, the Clintons, both of them, that would be something. But yes, you remember, folks, Yes, yes, the Epstein files are out, I guess now.
Speaker 2: Ish not really, there's still millions of files left to you know, somehow they'll have to redact before they can release. And then then if anything looks bad for the administration or anyone they don't want it to look bad for, they'll just say it's a false But they're trickling bit of information that isn't true.
Speaker 1: They're trickling. Yes, dump at a time, I should probably say is a better way to put it. But yes, they have been coming out. But when the subpoenas were issued for the Clintons and others, it was before the files had come out, it was before Congress had made all this agree, so everybody was still after the files and information at the time, so they subpoened all these folks. The Clintons were supposed to go in what October, but then they had a funeral, so they kept pushing it down. N They claimed there have been five, almost six months worth of back and forth, so what is the point of continuing this. So letter that was directed to Chairman Comer about this subpoena starts pretty we can go back and forth the first five or so paragraphs. We'll just give it to you how they wrote it, to dear Chairman.
Speaker 2: Coma, we want to take a moment, given everything, to address you directly. This past year has seen our government engage in unprecedented acts, including against our own citizens. People have been seized by masked federal agents from their homes, their workplaces, and the streets of their communities. Students and scientists with visas permitting them to study and work here, have been deported without due process. The people who laid sea to the US capital have been pardoned and called heroes. Agencies vital to the country's national security have been dismantled. Universities, media companies, law firms have been subjected to threats to their funding, access, and licensing. He goes on and on and on, talking about even most recently and searingly, an ICE agent killed an unarmed mother only days ago. So they lay all this out to say this, every person has to decide when they have seen or had enough and are ready to fight for this country, its principles, and its people, no matter. The consequence for us now is that time.
Speaker 1: I don't know where it is in the letter if you have it in front of you, but they it's You can isolate the line where they're making a point that they are contributing to disrupting the Republican and the Trump agenda because you all are redirecting your time and you're focusing your energy towards this stupid chase of the Clintons. And you know what, if we can distract you from we're screwing up the country.
Speaker 3: Cool. I thought that was an interesting line.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was trying to find it. Oh, here it is. I love this. Indeed, bringing the Republican's cruel agenda to a standstill while you work harder to pass a contempt charge against us than you have done on your investigation this past year would be our contribution to fighting the madness. So yes, they're saying, if we can actually be the reason why you hold your cruel agenda that they disagree with, deportations, etc. YadA YadA, and instead focus on trying to charge us, will take it, will be will fall on that sword to disrupt your agenda. They did say that. They said, we have tried to give you the little information we have. We have done so because mister Epstein's crimes were horrific. If the government didn't do all it could to investigate and prosecute these crimes for whatever reason, that should be the focus of your work to learn why and to prevent that from happening. Ever again, they said, instead, you have forced the victims to relive their pain experiences while doing little to give them and everybody else what's deserved, truth and justice. There was no plausible explanation for what you are doing other than partisan politics.
Speaker 1: I mean, is anyone arguing that point. Do we really think Hillary Clinton is about to move, is going to shake heaven and earth over the Epstein investigators.
Speaker 2: I do believe that there are people who believe Bill Clinton knows more than he's saying, and Comer even exploited that by saying that Jeffrey Epstein visited the White House during Bill Clinton's presidency seventeen times. I believe he said that today in today's presser, and so yes, they continue to fan the flames that Bill Clinton. And look, there are plenty of pictures. Bill Clinton talked about those pictures. He said they were done nothing more than to embarrass him, and he was pictured with Epstein specifically before he was accused of any of the wrongdoing. It was an era before all of the allegations. That is a point to be made, and that is a point Bill Clinton has made.
Speaker 1: That is actually true. I don't know if you remember a year off the top of your head, but it was somewhere around two thousand when the last I think interaction, or at least those two were known to have been together. Early two thousands, Say was it twenty What year was his charge in Florida?
Speaker 2: Two thousand and seven. Seven that was Epstein's charge was two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: So yes, we know what is anyone arguing that this isn't what this is? Well, folks, that is part of the letter. Yes, we just shared there from the Clintons personally, but we'll also share some pretty strong language from the letter that the attorneys sent. Also, we will tell you just how much of a penalty the Clintons could be looking at, including jail time, if they are found in contempt of Congress.
Speaker 2: Stay here, welcome back everyone, as we discuss this new potential contempt of Congress charge that could be levied against both Bill and Hillary Clinton. Today, Bill Clinton was subpoena to address the House Oversight Committee about what he knows about Jeffrey Epstein to answer questions from congressmen and women. He chose not to show up, as did Hillary Clinton. She was subpoenaed to show up tomorrow, and both of them they sent a letter. They sent a personal letter from their letter ahead from William Jefferson Clinton and Hillary Rodham Clinton directed specifically to Chairman James Comer, and they expressed and told Comer why they would not be attending this hearing today and tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's bs first of all, is what they argue. We're bring treated differently, like we were just talking about a moment ago from the other witnesses that you allow to just wave showing up.
Speaker 3: The lawyers.
Speaker 1: You won't know these law firms, but you know they're the type that have two names in it Williams and Connolly, Jenner and Block LP. You know, you know, big time folks. Well, they wrote a letter on bout and this is the one that lays out a lot of the constitutional arguments, but Robes this is the paragraph that stands out, saying to comer as you know, absent a valid purpose. And in light of the fact that President and Secretary Clinton have already shared more information with the committee voluntarily than the committee could obtain via the compulsory process, it is clear the subpoenas themselves and any subsequent attempt to enforce them are nothing more than a ployed to attempt to embarrass political rivals. As President Trump has directed, Wow, plaina's day, thank you all the following instruction, Yes, and they have. They cite down below the exact time where the President has a quote in which he says Epstein was more tied to Democrats. Name them, call them out, embarrass them, is what it's says.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I thought this was a well strong and power language by Bill and Hillary Clinton. In their decision to not testify despite subpoena. They said, you will say it is not our decision to make, but we have made it. Now you have to make yours. That game of chicken right there, they are looking Comer and the Committee in the face and saying, we are prepared to make our case to your forty five committee members, and if need be more more importantly, we will also defend ourselves in the public arena and ensure this country knows exactly what you are doing and why you are doing so.
Speaker 1: Your move patna exactly You're a move. But some will suggest I mean, he could have immediately gone forward. I guess he can wait till tomorrow to see if Hillary Clinton is going to show up. At least that gives him he can save some face. At least, ah, give it a shot and wait, and then he can say he's going to do it next week to still try to give time to work, something he.
Speaker 2: Has already said next week. He's already given himself some leeway.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He's looking for a political way out in where he doesn't look like he just lost to the Clinton.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you think though? At this point he said that he is going to pursue contempt of Congress charge charges? How does he backpuddle off of that? I mean, he was used very strong language today, and yes, this letter from Bill and Hillary used very strong language right back, like bring it on, what's good?
Speaker 3: What's the numbers game?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: How many folks in Congress are going to do what Trump tells them to do, is that you better vote for this contempt? How many on that panel are going through step and say this is silly, we don't need to be doing this. Possibly a Republican to do that, I don't know. I don't think a single Democrat is going to vote to hold these two in contempt.
Speaker 3: I just don't.
Speaker 1: But now it becomes what do our constituents want us to do? What is MAGA going to be upset about? And so it becomes this kind of game. Now, what's going to happen? This is okay, we shall see more high drama way too.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it should be noted if all of those things do happen, if the vote happens, if if the full House votes yep, and then and if that happens, yes, we know what Pam BONDI would do. The Clintons are facing a fine up to one hundred thousand dollars each they can cover, and one year imprisonment.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be tough. That's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: That's hard to imagine happening. It's not going to be a former president and a former first Lady and a former senator.
Speaker 1: No, this is not It's not happening now, I would argue, I mean, he's gonna have to cam or he's gonna have to a lot of folks. He's trying to throw it in jail. Call me, excuse me. I'm not It's no new reason to make this prediction.
Speaker 3: This is madness.
Speaker 2: Mad Yes, and this is one of those moments where you actually you're you're watching it happen, and you know this is history happening, but it seems surreal. And yes, where it all ends no one knows.
Speaker 3: But let's get on the record. What's gonna happen next year.
Speaker 2: My guess is he will bring it.
Speaker 3: To a vote and there won't be the votes and won't be the votes.
Speaker 2: That's what. If I had to make a prediction, that would be my prediction. Okay, what is your prediction?
Speaker 3: Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say until I see what Hillary Clinton's gonna do tomorrow. Right, folks, We always appreciate you spending some time with us. This is another developing story today, so we want to hop on and give you the update. We are keeping an eye on a couple of other things that today, including a trial. So please top right corner of the Apple Podcast app where it says follow when you see our show page, click that button and you can make sure you get the updates coming.
Speaker 3: Right to you.
Speaker 1: But for now, we appreciate you spending some time with us on TJ Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy Robot.
Speaker 3: Talk to y'all soon,