Speaker 1: When we first recorded our interview with Dennis and Lee Horton, they had just gotten out of prison on a sentence commutation less than a year prior, and that happened in large part because of the incredible efforts of John Fetterman. After losing the twenty sixteen Democratic Senate primary, John set his sights on winning the Lieutenant governorship, which put him on the Pardons and Parole Board. He then campaigned his fellow board members for the Horton's clemency, and despite a denial in twenty nineteen, John never gave up on the Hortons. By the time we recorded this episode, Dennis and Lee were already hard at work campaigning for John on his twenty twenty two Senate race. It was truly surreal to see Dennis and Lee reacting to the win on social media. What a turn of faith from wrongfully convicted to having a true friend in the United States Senate. We're re releasing this episode to congratulate our great friends Dennis, Lee and John. On May thirty first, nineteen ninety three, Dennis Horton went to his brother Lee's home for a Memorial Day weekend cookout. Later in the day, they visited their father in North Philadelphia, as well as their childhood friend, Robert Leif. Unbeknownst to the Hortons, Robert Leaf had committed an armed robbery earlier that day, in which two women were injured and one man was fatally shot. The Hortons pulled up to their friend Robert Leaf on the street and made plans to watch a basketball game back at Lee's. Robert asked the brothers to meet him one block up, where he got into their car with a gun. Police had been following Robert and immediately pulled them over, where all three men were arrested. The two injured women, who initially had said that there were only two arm robbers, gave a shaky idea of all three men, sending them to trial together. Robert Leaf's attorney used confusion amongst the witnesses over them the identities of the three men to change the narrative from Robert Leaf as the shooter to Dennis, delivering a lighter sentence to the actual culprit, while the Hortons were sentenced to life without parole. Years later, a statement by Robert Leaf admitting his role and excluding the Horton brothers was unearthed along with the fact that police had identified Robert Leaf as the shooter from the very start. However, with this new evidence being ruled inadmissible on purely procedural grounds, it took the tireless advocacy of Pennsylvania Lieutenant Governor John Fetterman to win a commutation and release for the brothers after nearly three long decades in prison. This is wrongful conviction. Welcome back to wrongful conviction. Best advice to you right now is fasten your seatbelt because this is going to be a crazy ride that you're about to go on. But before I introduced the two brothers who were wrongful convicted of the same crime together and ended up serving almost twenty seven years together in the same cell for the crime that didn't commit. I just want to say that this is Philadelphia in the nineties. You've heard stories on here before about Philadelphia in the nineties, and it was it was the time and place where a black man had a better chance of getting justice in Philadelphia, Mississippi than in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And this is another example of that. So, without further ado, let me introduce to you. I'm so excited to have these guys on the show today because there's such inspiring people. Lee and Dennis Horton, the brothers Horton. Welcome to Ronful Conviction.
Speaker 2: All right, good afternoon. How's everybody doing out there.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to be here. Thank you for inviting us on.
Speaker 1: So let's get right into it. First of all, I want to say to both of you guys that while I am obviously delighted to have you on this show, I'm sorry that you're here because of what you had to go through and it should have never happened. So let's go back to the beginning. I'm talking about how was childhood for you guys growing up together while you moved to Philly in seventy seven, right, but give us a quick look at what your childhood was like.
Speaker 2: So when we was young growing up, we lived uneventful but a wonderful life.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: My mom and my father was married in the early sixties. Four of us four kids. We grew up in some of the roughest places in the city. But our family, my mom, my grandmother, my father always instilled in us that you had to work for what you wanted their life, and so we started working at an early age. My mom and father. Unfortunately they split up in nineteen seventy two. My mom, she was trying to take care of four kids on our own. We wind up moving to the projects, which was at the time East Falls Projects. I was around twelve years old, my brother was at the time. So the projects was a rough project. You know, you had to prove the people up there that you was willing to fight in order for you to be able to stay, or they chased you out the projects. That's how it was. And so I had got into a fight with an individual and I wanted to fight. That was a blessing to some degree, but it was also a curse because now I was at eyes with a lot of guys my age twelve or thirteen year olds in the projects. And one day I wound up on the wrong side of the projects when we was approached by a group of individuals and it was maybe about twenty something thirty guys, and they approached us and they wanted me to fight a guy. And you know, there was a bunch of guys that was about to jump us, and then these other guys came out of nowhere and came to our rescue. And it was only a few of them, but they were like the neighborhood tough guys to some degree. One of these guys who would become a really good friend of mine was an individual named Rob Relief. And so I fell in with these guys and we became good friends. He came to my house, stayed at my house, slept at my house, ate at my house. My mom to somebody, rebecame his mom. And then in nineteen eight three, we moved out of the projects. By that time we kind of veered off a little bit, although I would go see my friends who were still living in the projects and some living in North Philadelphia, from town to town.
Speaker 1: And so now we move up towards the time of the actual crime, and I'm talking about Memorial Day weekend, May thirty first, nineteen ninety three. So there was an arm robbery at Toledo's Bar. Now, initial descriptions say it was two men, but later it was changed to three. One man with a twenty two caliber semi automatic rifle and another with a black pistol robbed the bar and its patrons. Samuel Alimo, six foot three and over two hundred pounds, wrestled with the gunman for the gun, but was overpowered and was shot and killed. Blues our Cella and Louis Martinez were injured, but both recovered, and a witness described chasing after the pleaing assailants who saw them in a small blue car and supplied police with a partial license plate number. And again, remember this is Philadelphia in the nineties, So we'll get to the myriad problems with the state story, but first let's hear your story. So it's Memorial Day weekend, May thirty first, nineteen ninety three. Lee. You had four kids, right, including a two week old baby, and at the time, Dennis, you were just recently engaged to be married, and had also recently been badly injured at work. And we're recovering, right, so you were in absolutely no condition to be engaging in hand to hand combat wrestling right with a very large man, right strong man. So can you take us through that day, the day that this armed robbery and murder, this whole tragedy happened.
Speaker 4: So Lee and his wife invited me and my fiancee over to his house. So of course I went to Lee's house, had a cookout with him and his wife and his kids, and later on that evening we decided we was going to take a ride. You know, we've been in the house all day. Stopped by my father's house see him, and then Lee was going to stop by just see a few guys that he knew, and we headed for North Philadelphia, where my father lived at the time, and we swung by his house, but his light was out so he was sleep So Lee said, okay, let's stop around Leaf's house. So, you know, we drove around Leaf's house. He was standing out on the corner with some other guys and Lee beat the horn and Leif came over to the car, letting him and Lee talk for a little bit. So Robert Leif was supposed to come back to Lee's house. We was going to watch the basketball game. So Leif said, pull up a block and I'll be there. And I got to just take care of something real quick, and we pulled up to the block and Leif came maybe about ten to fifteen minutes later, got in the car, and then we pulled off, and about a couple of blocks later, we saw sirens and we pulled over and the police jumped out of their vans and cars with guns drawn and told us to get out.
Speaker 3: Of the car and we got out of the car and they.
Speaker 4: Handcuffed us and they put us into the paddy wagon and they took us to the hospital when identification to take place, and all I remember is that the van doors opened up, and next thing you know, I've seen it. I think two ladies point to rob Belief and say, yeah, that's the guy right there. And then they said, well, what about these other guys and they said, yeah, them too, They were with them too, And then they shut the doors back and then that was it.
Speaker 3: And next thing you know, we were.
Speaker 4: Down the roundhouse where they charged you for a homicide.
Speaker 1: So, okay, right away we see problems emerge with what the witnesses are describing. Right the alleged number of individuals involved in the robbery went from went up fifty percent, right from two to three. And when you're there at the hospital in the police paddy wagon right outside the hospital, with the witnesses saying yeah them too. Also, one of the witnesses described a blue and gave a partial plate number, So did that match your own vehicles?
Speaker 2: The only witness who claimed to see the car said it was a blue small car. It was a suppos been a Chevy Chavette. He said the name of the car in his statement.
Speaker 3: Now Lee's car is a Priest Classic.
Speaker 2: A four door large car.
Speaker 3: Two tones, two different colors.
Speaker 2: But this witness, for some reason, we could never find him and never bring him the trial. The person the police put down is giving out this partial plate number. When we got the witness on the stand, she said, right then there, I never gave a police anything. I never saw a car, So how could I have ever given him The name is on this paper though they said you gave it to him, she said, it's impossible. I didn't see a car. I didn't give him anything. And the thing about the officers who did this first thing, you got to give you a context to who these officers are. The first officer was somebody who had strangled a guy to the early on, and then later, right after we was arrested, he shot a guy unarmed in a car. The second officer, she was involved in internal fears of investigation about a law quantity of drugs being found in the police station and them suspecting it or connected it to her. As you start appeeling the layers away, you start seeing that it's more to this than just the police picking up some guys and they were involved.
Speaker 1: So I have to ask, do you think that they knew from the beginning that you guys had nothing to do with this.
Speaker 4: That's a really good question, and our heart of hearts, we believe in the beginning maybe they wasn't sure, but as things begin to unfold, they had to be clear that we wasn't involved in it, just didn't care. And the reason why we know is because the prosecuted them came to us with the deal. It was like five to ten years, and we were like, we're innocent, We're not taking any deal. Why should we take any deal to go to jail when we didn't do anything? And now it was sort of like, okay, you won't take the deal, all right, Well, the chip's going to forward.
Speaker 1: They made right, And it's very uncommon that in the crime as serious as this one armed robbery where someone was killed, right, that they're going to offer someone two guys in this case five years.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't have to be a legal scholar to figure this one out. So now we get to the trial and all three of you, Lee, Dennis, and Robert Leaf are tried together and they have three witnesses. Now I'm going to put witnesses in quotation marks here. Three of them came to trial, and they eventually identified Dennis as the shooter. But did they have any physical evidence at all, any fingerprints, any security footage.
Speaker 2: There were no security footage. But they had was they actually had the gun, they said with the murdered weapon. They never actually could trace it to any bullets they got out of the body. They didn't match. But this is the gun that Leif had on him. He left the gun in the car. The cops retrieved it and when they checked it, it had fingerprints. But we've been always trying to get these fingerprints checked because they could never trace them to any of us. They took all of our fingerprints, they didn't fit any of us. Now, the way that my brother got to become the shooter is a clear case of mistaken identific Initially in the case, they all identified Robert Leeve as the shooter. And this where the whole case turns. If this don't ever happen, we probably would have walked. The one witness would identify different person every hearing. When she identified Robert leave Robert Leaf's attorney, he would read the noose some testimony of her identifying my brother, until it got to the point where when the judge asked her, well, who are you saying did this? She said, I'm going to say it's the one right there, and she was identifying me, and we had already told the court that they was identified as base where we were sitting at, so we switched seats. So when we switched seats, she was identified based on who the witness before her told her to identify, and then she thought that the person was sitting in that seat, but it wound up being me Lee Prton. When she heard my name, she said, hold it, what's the name? And the jadge said, why do you want to know the name? Because, uh, Dennis did it. It's Dennis. He said Dennis, and then she said, yeah, I heard him. They was calling Dennis. And then after that we were in the case and they knew that this woman just had made this up out of the sky just right then and there. Everybody refused to pull back and they could have corrected that right then and there and said, well hold up, Yonner, she's wrong. Mister Leaf was wearing a red jacket. We know that for sure. That's a fact. They identified him as a shooter. That's a fact. They didn't say any of that. They just let the witnesses go on and on and on with these wrong identifications. And this woman had identified every last one of us as a shooter at one given time.
Speaker 6: This episode is underwritten by AIG, a leading global insurance company, and by Accenture, a global professional services company with leading capabilities in digital, cloud and security. Working to reform the criminal justice system is a key pillar of the AIG pro Bono Program, which provides free legal services and other support to men, nonprofit organizations, and individuals most in need as part of Accentsure's commitment to racial and civil justice. Accenture's Legal Access Program provides pro bono legal services in partnership with more than forty organizations bringing meaningful change to people and communities worldwide.
Speaker 4: Three weeks prior to our arrest, I had injured my leg on my job in such a fashion that I needed to acl repair. The holiday was on a Monday. I was supposed to go talk about the day that week I was going to have the surgery done. I just came off the crutches, so when we were arrested, it was impossible for me to be able to wrestle with this guy.
Speaker 3: I think they said he was like sixty four sixty three something like that.
Speaker 4: I was supposed to have overpowered him, wrestled all the way to the ground with this guy, overpowered the gun out of his hand, and then after I was supposed to have shot him, I was supposed to ran away at us as I could. There was no way I could run on it laid at all, and my medical records and all that would have shown that would have proved that, and this would have disqualified me from even remotely possibly being the shooter.
Speaker 3: And the thing is they knew this, but nobody cared.
Speaker 1: So you both had different lawyers, So two people who were supposed to be working on your behalf, what were they doing with all of this information? At trial, we.
Speaker 2: Made the mistake of a friend of my mom's told her that their son could be a good lawyer for us, and we accepted that, but he wasn't a criminal defense attorney. He had not tried one criminal case, and he wound up being a person putting our defense together. My lawyer had been retired, and he was kind of older, and he was a little out of step. Were just not prepared for a capital case. Now, the difference is Robert Leef was prepared. He knew the system and he knew how to work the system. Were naive. We thought that we were innocent and it was going to be shown and it never was.
Speaker 1: Like literally, if you put this in the movie, you say, well, one guy's represented by a friend of a friend who never tried a criminal case before this capital murder we're talking about it. And the other guys tried by a guy that they literally pulled out a retirement and wheeled them into the courtroom. You guys didn't even know that you're doomed. You're thinking, hey, we go in tell the truth. You were the only guys in the courtroom telling the truth. That's the only problem, right, and that doesn't work.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that you know, even now gets to me a little bit because I spent twenty seven years in prison when this be nipping of it early on, and I didn't have to never go to prison after twenty seven years. You know, sometimes in your mind you think, well you should have took there, But what would we have said. We didn't commit the crime, We didn't know anything about it. Took us twenty eight years to learn enough about this case to be able to talk about it. Where though we knew some of the facts that happened, we had to find in the police file. They went to court knowing that these witnesses was identifying my brother, but they had determined that Leif was the shooter.
Speaker 3: The prosecutors knew this, the detectives knew this. But this is the problem with the system. Nobody cared about the truth. It was about let's get the conviction at all costs.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they knew you weren't involved from the jump, but since you wouldn't plead to lesser charges that you knew and I think they knew were false, they threw you into this kangaroo court situation tied to Robert Leif, who was the actual culprit here, and they let the chips fall where they may. That's how they put it, right. So then you were represented by people who had no business whatsoever really even being in this courtroom, right, I mean definitely not as lawyers in a capital murder case, and you're literally on trial for your lives. So what was that like?
Speaker 2: I can tell you what it was like. Robert Leif's attorney communicated with our attorneys and they spold the head a joint defense, and right towards the time the jury was going out the deliberation, I remember my attorney looking back and saying, I don't think that his attorney was with us, And I said, do you think like he was doing everything in his power to get his client the best possible verdict he could get. He used the defense to paint a picture so that we would wind up with the most out of this and his client would, if not walk free, get the least.
Speaker 1: So the jury goes out, they come back in four or five hours later. Did you guys have hope that they were going to actually see the light that you were going to be vindicated.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was just a blur of a moment. Of course, you hold out hope that the system is going to do the right thing. I mean we were raised like everybody else, watching police shows and court shows, and from what they show on TV, it always seemed like the system does the right thing, everything would turn out right, even though everything was looking wrong.
Speaker 2: We leave the system to the point where I had put an application to the police force prior to being arrested, Like around the time when I got convicted, my wife received the letter saying that I was accepted to go to the next phase.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ. I mean, it's like you had this was like an alternate reality, the life that should have been right. But okay, so the jury comes back in and the verdict is guilty. I mean, can you tell us about that moment. It's I mean, it's obviously horrible for anyone who experiences it, but here it's worse because one brother had to hear the other brother being declared guilty, followed by being declared guilty himself.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you, being the oldest, I probably was the weakest. When I heard the verdict. It was like I was in a state of shock and my legs buckled, and I remember I felt like I was going down to the floor, and I remember hearing my Grandmam's voice in the back saying, stand up real loud, don't you fall on that ground. Stand up that part. I ain't never gonna forget.
Speaker 3: When they've been to divertict.
Speaker 4: I felt like I was in the twilight zone, like this wasn't happening, Like somebody's going to come in and say we're just kidding. This is not how it's supposed to end for us. I mean, we played by the rules.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: We were taught to work hard for whatever we get in life, and that's what we did. We were taught to mind the people in the neighborhood, the elders, to respect people. You know that this don't happen to decent people.
Speaker 2: And it was crazy because he immediately says this life without the possibility for rule immediately. And you know, when our family got a chance to speak on our behalf, each one of our family members got up there. They said that we didn't commit the crime, and the judge got bad at some point. I think he told my sister that if you're going to say that they didn't commit this crime, then don't need to get up y' I have heard enough of that.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, we were distraught beyond words can describe it. I became angry, angry at the system, angry at myself or allowing myself to even be in that situation around a guy like this. And as time went on, my grandmother came to see us, my grandmother and my mother, and we would just complain and complain about everything that was going on. We was talking about how dark prison was, you know, how cold it always seems to be in there. You know how these folks around here they don't care about anything. And I remember my grandmother said, you know, if it's cold, then heat it up with love, and if it's dark, then lighted up with hope. And my brother and I we looked at each other and said, Grandma, how much have lost her mind?
Speaker 2: He was looking at each other like this lady for real? Like did she realize that were in the prison for a crime we didn't commit. She telling us to do what?
Speaker 3: So the thing is didn't make sense to us at that time.
Speaker 4: But as the years would go by and we would begin the process us like reading you know, self help books, history books, psychology books, and we were beginning to taking the various programs that was available towards to educate ourselves. And we would go to the law library at least five days a week and we were just being there for hours reading this law, trying to decipher this law, these cases and figure out ways how to argue and plead because at some point we had to take over our own representation because the lawyers they were signing us was to up to park, and through that process more we became educated. The anger got directed in a different direction, and that anger all of a sudden started becoming more about helping men in prison that was wrongfully convicted as well, men that got more time than they should have.
Speaker 2: The revenge was going to be to try to send as many guys home as we could that would not come back to prison. And he talks about the law library, and that law library, we had a couple of tables of men who are all home now, we've all been exignery. All of us was at those tables in nineteen ninety five. We all sitting around a table. And as the years were about, more and more men came into the institution and they would sit at those tables, and at the end of the day it was two of us as left that at the time, nobody was going home. Years later, everybody started trickling out, so eventually we would get transferred to another prison, which was a treatment facility more so geared towards programming and things like that. And so this prison, which was at Cichester, was kind of telling maybe for men like le and I. And one of the first things that we do is become a certified pair Support Specialists. That means we work with people who struggle with mental health issues, struggle with all kinds of issues, addiction, struggle with anger issues, people who.
Speaker 3: Just having a hard time adjusting the prison life.
Speaker 4: And we went to work and they started seeing how the assault on officers, rate on staff started to drop. They started seeing the rate on prisoner on prisoner assaults drop, write ups started to drop. Everything in the prison started getting better as a result of the certified pay Support Specialist program. And from there we began to branch out into other areas. The ward, the superintendent, and the deputy superintendent allowed Lee and I to be able to facilitate many of programs.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: We facilitated programs like Thresholds, which was a six step decisional making program. We taught men how to make better decisions in their lives so that they can also.
Speaker 3: Get through prison much better.
Speaker 4: But not only get through prison, but go home to their families and do better in society. We facilitated a health and wellness program and through this program, we founded the day Responsibility in that particular institution.
Speaker 3: What we did was we created.
Speaker 4: A play and the play would have areas and it would talk about recidivism, the impact of crime, dysfunction, trauma. I think it took us like fifty five fifty seven people to put this play on, and it was like a full production. We put the rolls out for men to sign up and they had to try out for the parts. It was so widely successful that the administration said, well, hey, listen, why you guys didn't do this bigger. So we went on to do another three more plays within that institution, and we went from fifty seven people being involved the year after that, one hundred and something people was involved. The following year. We put workshops on right after the play, So not only did we do the play, but we also put together twenty to thirty workshops where we would talk about these various things that were plaguing our community. And then those workshops we would invite people from the community, organizations, from the community that was involved in stopping violence like ceasefire, and universities to come in. Students and professors, we would invite politicians to come in.
Speaker 1: So while you're doing this amazing work, you're also, of course, you know, simultaneously fighting to overturn your own wrongful convictions. But so much of the information that you were discovering exculpatory evidence right, tons of it was time barred, which means it was held back, you barred from being introduced because of procedural bullshit.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was a lot of things that came, like, you know, the police officer when we found out about the internal fair investigation, they said that was public information that we should have known about it, even though we had no idea that she was going through this, so how would we even know to look for it? So that was time bard. We had a witness, an individual we ran across who Robert Leif had confessed to because he was also incarcerated when we met him. They said that wasn't usable because he's a prisoner, so of course he would help you. They use confessions against you, but you can't use one from somebody to get out of prison. But he said clearly what happened. Robert Leaf made a statement, and in his statement he identified the person he was with as somebody named Eddie. And in the statement he said, clearly, when they said that this man died, they believed he did it at the time because they took his jacket and they did paraffine tests on it. They did nitrate tests on his hands and all this kind of stuff like this, and he said, if the man died it was his time to die, then if I got to do the time for it, then I'll do the time for That's what he said in his statement. And he said something in the statement referring to us that put us not even with him. So everything that we would get would be toim barne. So we spent twenty years pretty much fighting to overcome procedural hurdles. When we was transferred to sci Chester, a staff member who was watching us at the time he was a counselor, and he started talking to us in general conversations and then one day he called us any and he asked what was we doing to get out of prison, And we told him about our fight in the courts and about our innocence and everything like this, and he said, you know, I believe y'all, I really believe everything you've been telling me. And he is the one that suggested to us that we filed for commutation, and at the time we told him that we were actually innocent and that wasn't the venue for commutation. And he spent months trying to convince us to file for commutation and just to give in, just to agree with him. We said okay, and he introduced us to a professor whose name is Kathleen Brown, who helped a lot of other guys with commutation applications. And she came to see us and we told her our story and she said, well, won't you follow actual innocence application. She said it would be the first one, but just write and just tell him what you told me. And that's what we did. And the first time we went before the board and parts and we was denied and we were distraught. And around that time, my mom was sick and she passed away not too long after that, and she was so supportive. We didn't talk a lot about her, but she was the person that was fueling our fight for all those years. You know, my grandma's words just kept bringing in our ears that keep fighting. And we had developed the philosophy of freemen have freed themselves. So we went back to the courts and then we filed for reconsideration and that was denied, and then we came back and filed for reconsideration again, and they granted the reconsideration based on some other stuff. But right before that, the Lieutenant Governor John Fetterman started taking up our calls. He looked at our application, he'd seen everything in it, and he just started doing what it was the right thing to do. He started fighting for us, and the rest is history.
Speaker 7: I am a Lieutenant Governor, John Fetterman of Pennsylvania and I also chair of the Board of Partings and Commutations here and I became acquainted with Dennis and Lee's case during one of their reapplications for commutation, and when I read through it, I was blown away that these men were ever in prison, let alone struggling to be sent home. It's their background is astonishing. In Pennsylvania, the Board of Pardons requires a unanimous vote of five members. It has to be unanimous. If you don't get that threshold, that person is going to die in prison. And that, to me triggered a campaign to make sure that Lee and Dennis would be able to return to their families, because this is a gross miscarriage of justice. Not only are they profoundly deserving that they have always maintained their innocence. Everyone believes that these men, including the warden and the Department of Corrections, that They have no business being in prison, and I'm so grateful that they're out on some levels. In fact, I actually hired them to work on our campaign. They are far better a person and stronger a person than I could ever be. For what they went through to have emerged with the kind of humanity that they just radiate is nothing short of remarkable.
Speaker 1: So paint a picture for me. It's February twelfth, twenty twenty one, just two days before Valentine's Day. Governor Wolfe signs the papers, and you're about to see your wife again.
Speaker 2: I would tell you honestly, it was extremely amazing and difficult at the same time. It was like a miracle. It brought a sense of anxiety, but also it was a great feeling of hope. Prison For me it was a darkness I was in, and when I walked out it seemed like everything was bright, everything was beautiful. I could see everything.
Speaker 1: Dennis, how about for you and for me?
Speaker 3: It was bitter sweet at the same time because my mother was no longer there.
Speaker 4: She never gave up with fighting with us, and to come home and for her not to be here, I mean, it was just so painful, but it felt good to be free.
Speaker 3: It was just unbelievable. I felt like I can breathe again.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, I'm still like bewildered because some may not even get this chance, and I want to see others that are deserving of the same opportunity to get it. We found our sense of purpose while we were in prison, and that purpose was helping others, helping others to know that prison, you may be here, but this is not who you are, and this is not who you have to be.
Speaker 4: And we did that by leading, by showing people we cared about them, and through that care and through that love, we begin to inspire men to be more hopeful about and more optimistic about their future.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's really just an amazing, amazing story and perseverance and triumph over struggle, a tragedy, and you know the fact that you, guys, with the inspiration and the support of your families and other people, we're able to take this unimaginable burden and rise above it and turn it into something that enabled you to transform the lives of so many other people. And that you're still doing it today. It's nothing short. It's magical. Really, it's incredible and for the people who are listening right now, who are inspired and who are going to want to take action and make a difference because of what you guys have been able to accomplish. Is there anything you guys want to suggest?
Speaker 2: What I just would say my call action would be to pay attention to what's going on out in society and to support criminal justice reform. Every innocent man is not going to make it out of prison, and it's a lot left behind, so we need some sort of criminal justice before and to make a way for others to be able to come out.
Speaker 1: Now we've come to the part of the show that's well, it's the closing of the show, but it's become my favorite part of the show. And of course it's called closing arguments. And I want to say, first of all, I appreciate you guys tremendously just for being here and sharing your story. You know, you guys are heroes to me and so many other people, and I'm excited to get this out there and get this story out in a way in the way that it should have been told from the very beginning. And so closing arguments what we do here, how this works is I'm just going to turn my microphone off and leave both of yours on, and I'm going to just sit back in my chair and listen to anything that you feel has been left unsaid. So Dennis, how about you go first and then lee you'll be bad and clean up.
Speaker 4: So, folks, first of all, thank you for tuning in. Thank you for listening to my brother and I recount our story.
Speaker 3: The thing is this, at the end of the day, the people control the system. The system don't control you.
Speaker 4: But we've gotten whole place where we allow the system to control us. This is supposed to be our system, and we're supposed to hold people accountable for the decisions they make on our behalfs. So the only thing I would say is please get involved and know with the prosecutors, no, with the district attorney, no, what the police are doing on your dime, because we pay the taxes that pay their salaries, and if this is how they're doing business, then we need to make sure we hold them accountable. My brother not with free, but there are countless others that are not fake.
Speaker 2: My grandma once told us that life gives you what life gives you, and it's up to you to make something out of it. So when we went to prison, that wasn't the end of our story. That was just another leg in our journey. The next part of our journey, we hope is spectacular. We want to do a lot of things out here in society. We did a lot of positive working inside and we'll do a lot of positive work out here. And so what I would say is make sure you pay attention to what's going on, and when somebody say they've been wrongfully convicted, try to give them the benefit of the doubt, because the think it'd be just like us, two individuals who just took a ride and wind up being arrested and sent away and spend twenty eight years trying to come back home.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction. I'd like to thank our production team Connor Hall, Justin Golden, Jeff Cliburn, and Kevin Wartis. With research by Lyla Robinson. The music in this production was supplied by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us on Instagram at Wrongful Conviction, on Facebook at Wrongful Conviction podcast, and on Twitter at wrong Conviction, as well as at Lava for Good. On all three platforms. You can also follow me on both TikTok and Instagram at it's Jason Flopp. Wrongful Conviction is the production of Lava for Good podcasts and association a Signal Company Number one