Speaker 1: There's Kamala Harrison to turn and face Trump and talk to the contrary and talk about the fear directly and the stakes in a way that's more vivid, and she's done it so far.
Speaker 2: My biased view is that I would like to see her do that, but I always try to consider someone who doesn't work in this field. But is you know, working in Michigan and dealing with a student loan and making sure they pick up their kids, but also being on time to work. And is the economic message really the single and soul message here that is going to be the most motivating.
Speaker 1: Or will you know?
Speaker 2: Because where I hesitate Steve is that if you watch your average Harris rally right now and your average Trump rally, there is a positive vision coming from Harris and a dark apocalyptic vision coming from Trump. Now, you can say it's kind of standard. When Harris is, in a sense the incumbent, she wants to argue things are good and will continue being good. It's natural that she would have a positive vision, whereas on the other hand, Trump is trying to argue things are so bad you need to elect me. But I think it goes beyond that. I think that there's actually more to it. And I've said, when I watch these competing rallies, sometimes back to back, it doesn't seem to me that the apocalyptic dark vision from Trump with the lurid stories, and he had a thirty second rant about Wisconsin over the weekend that sounds like he's describing I don't know what he's describing. I don't want to ascribe it to any particular country, but certainly not Milwaukee. Right when you listen to it, you go, that doesn't sound like Milwaukee to me, because I question whether Trump doing it helps him convert anybody. I just don't know if Harris is better off sticking with the economic message rather than the here's what you really should be afraid of message, other than when it comes to women's bodily autonomy and reproductive rights, which does seem to have been really effective at telling people what the stakes are.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sense with the women in your lives, with the women in your life and the women around you, about their motivation to go and vote and their reaction to Trump saying you know, the women are never going to be happier. Hey, this is beautiful, right, the states have it, don't worry about it. Right, there's going to be in all the TRUMPI and bomb bast around this, around this issue because you know, people, I honestly don't know what to say. I don't conceivably know what I could say to a woman in America to urged him to, you know, participate and vote and stand up. You know that that adds any weight beyond the weight of the evidence around what's happening in the in the country, which is which is shocking to behold, you know, at at many levels. But fired up? Are they worried? Are they scared? Or more women for Trump than you are? You are surprised about what's anecdotally.
Speaker 2: You know, anecdotally, I am maybe the wrong guy to ask, because I know mostly women in blue states who are on the left. And so there's two elements to that that are important. One is, they weren't voting for Trump anyway, even before all of this craziness with IVF and he's very big on fertilezation and all of this stuff that you know that makes no sense, So they weren't voting for him anyway. But also, most of the women I'm talking to have a confidence we can discuss whether it's appropriate or not that because they live in blue states. You know. I talk to my friends in New York and Connecticut and Massachusetts, and they go, this stuff is nuts, But I'm so confident that we're going to be fine in this state. I feel bad for the women in fill in the blanks, right, and so I think that the people I'm speaking to directly are kind of in that camp, which is privileged in the sense of the stakes feel lower on a lot of these issues. In the states that have an HDI equivalent to Norway right, like Connecticut and Massachusetts, it's a different situation than it is in Mississippi, for example. Now, one other thing I saw the good liars who do these interviews at Trump rallies. They're really good. They I interviewed a woman recently who said she it was you know what about such and such who said, they're not even sure women should have the right to vote at this point, I don't even remember who said it, but recently somebody in Trump's orbit suggested, I don't even know that it's that good that women vote. The woman said, if the country's taken care of, I don't care if I have the right to vote. And it was this incredible moment where it's that's hook line and sinker. These are the saviors and my role whether I vote or I don't vote, They're going to tell me what my role is and it's not for me to evaluate this is good or bad or scary or whatever the case may be. And that's so different from everybody I talked to personally. That what influences the people I know personally, and what would impact that woman who said take away my right to vote. As long as we've got Trump instead of Harris, we're going to be okay. It's hard to imagine the same campaign motivating all of those voters because they're probably already seems so different.
Speaker 1: Perfectly said, it is a it is a wild time, and I think it goes about saying that ten years into this and it's ten years, uh three election cycles, it feels like it's coming to its end to me, and it feels like that we're going to be closing the door on a generation of political leaders, many of whom are still around in their eighties. But we're gonna see a lot of change in the in the immediate in the immediate future, and we're at a moment where I think that the country is either going to pick more of craziness at an epic level or or make ready for generational change. And if passed his prologue, we're gonna have generational change. We're gonna we're gonna take the exit off of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there seems to be an accelerationism that you know, I've spoken over the last however many years on my show how I'm not an accelerationist leftist who believes that we need to dismantle the system to rebuild it better off. As a social democrat, which is a form of regulated capitalism, I don't want to dismantle because I know how many people get hurt in the dismantling. I just want to keep making improvements in the way that sort of Ted Kennedy said, let's keep making improvements in the right direction rather than the wrong. I think what a slice of those that are part of MAGA right now are starting to lean towards is the accelerationism. It's if you know, they stole it from us in twenty twenty, if they do it again, the threshold of what I'm willing to personally do changes. My hope is that the air will be let out of it, especially if Republican officials in the aftermath of a Trump loss say we're moving on. I'm not jumping on that it was stolen bandwagon this time, so I hope it will be ten that. But anecdotally I do see, including the people that my correspondence talk to at rallies, sort of a willinglessness to adopt some of that accelerationism by the right about if they're going to steal it from them twice, we're now willing to do a lot more.
Speaker 1: It's also being set in the fervor of the rally with cajun of the crowd when everyone's home staring at their phones, right and it's cold outside. We'll see, we'll see where the fervor goes if the if the fever breaks, And until then, I think we're going to have a very very dramatic month in American politics, which is going to have a lot of twists and turns and wild days ahead in a race that, though she is winning, is not yet over, it is not yet settled, and it is not impossible for him him to win. It's not even improbable for him to be able to win the election. But again, I think it will break in her direction in the next couple of weeks as the American people make their final decision, and I think cancel a show that has gotten pretty boring.
Speaker 2: The show has jumped the shark. I think we can say.
Speaker 1: I'm Steve Schmidt. This is the warning and I invite you to join. Subscribe on our sub stack, on our YouTube channel, follow us. Welcome to the community.