Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody? Welcome to move the sticks?
Speaker 3: DJ Bucky Rhett Following a week two slate of games, I am still in Charlotte, North Carolina. Looks like you two fine gentlemen are at home. Fun weekend of football. Boys, Buck, you got a grin on your face?
Speaker 2: What are you? What are you grinning about over there? Are you enjoying your time in North Carolina? Because you stayed you stayed behind. I just wondered, like, if you're just hanging out, you're gonna make it.
Speaker 4: You make a trippyy with the Mountaineers. There's anything, and oh this is the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got South Alabama coming off of an eighty seven point performance coming up.
Speaker 2: The couple of bets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got our work cutout for us on that One's a little Appstate South al Thursday night. Or Money's Money's gonna come up there as well to take in take in the ball game. By that's you're flying out, So we're gonna we're gonna make a whole whole big deal of it.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 3: Then one on the air dur in the Charger game and said, DJ is being honored at the app State game, which is not happening. We are literally just going to a football game. Be very disappointing.
Speaker 2: We're going We're going in the Ring of Honor. There's We're going in the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 3: I just needed tickets. They got me tickets, that's all. So I've got a busy week out here at Carolina, which is going to get me to our first takeaway from the week, because we'll get to the games. We're gonna go through the games. But the biggest takeaway right now is just what happened. H Bryce Young is no longer the starter. So from number one overall pick to a year later, new coaching staff, new regime, and now it is Andy Dalton under center. I'll get to everything that I saw yesterday and then in my preparation for this game what I saw. But I want to get your guys thoughts on it unfiltered here before I give you what I what I saw. Buck, you can you can lead us off and Red follow them up.
Speaker 4: Wow, Like major surprise in terms of UH new coach, new tenure, new coach brought in to really resurrect Bryce Young.
Speaker 2: Two gays in we're pulling the plug. Just really surprised at all of it.
Speaker 4: Last year, we didn't want to put blame on Bryce Young because we felt like the supporting cast wasn't good enough. This year, we have a new coach, first time head coach, trying to bring in a new system. Yes, he has some veterans around him, but I don't know if two games is enough of a sample size to really know what a young.
Speaker 2: Player can be. And the final point would be, Man.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're doing such a disservice to the young quarterbacks around the league.
Speaker 2: Like I don't think we train them properly. I don't think we give them enough time.
Speaker 4: I think the expectations are outside based on I guess draft grades in those things. To me, look, I understand he hadn't played well, but two games into a new season. To me, it just seems like it's not enough time to fully understand who Bryce Young is and what he will be at the next level.
Speaker 5: And I think you make some really good points there about the development piece, certainly, Buck, but I think you know this is a decision to me that you got to also go back, you know, a few years. I mean, like this is a team that has had mounting pressure to win after some very disappointing and look, let's be frank, embarrassing performances year over year, right, even going back to you know, the tail end of the Matt Rule era, and then you know into Frank Reich and you know, having coaching changes mid season. We've got you know, overhauls on staffs mid season. And it comes down to this for me with Dave Canalis, you know, coming in as a rookie head coach, but you know, certainly more of a proven track record running an offense.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: We saw the reclamation project or the rejuvenation perhaps is a better word that he had with Baker Mayfield, and that worked right in Tampa. And so you know, now you're like, okay, well, where are we trusting that things are going wrong here? We're trusting that it's you know, the the second year quarterback into his second game, or we trusting that you know, it's his things are going role on his end, or you know, the coach in Canalis who comes off a very successful run as an offensive coordinator. It's like you put two and two together here, and if a change has to be made to start winning games, I think you go, you know, you side with the part of the equation that has the proven track record at this point, at least on the offensive side, and that to me is Canalis.
Speaker 6: So then you make the change of quarterback.
Speaker 5: I think it's a lot of things working here, and certainly getting embarrassed two weeks in a row to open this season plays a role here.
Speaker 3: Dij Yeah, I'll start there because I said this to somebody after the game was over yesterday, which was when you have an offensive head coach and you can have a plan for a player in place, but when your reputation is built on the offensive side of the ball, and you are as inept as this team has looked through two weeks and including a game I was at yesterday where they could not complete a bubble screen, They couldn't complete a hitch, They didn't even try to push the ball down the field. It's one of those things whereas a head coach with an offensive background, you got to be sitting there think and man, like the rest of the league's going to just be laughing at me. You're seeing a bubble screen right here, that this is a high school throw that they can't make.
Speaker 2: It was so bad as I said, I don't think I.
Speaker 3: Was anticipating a change would be coming because it and I'll get to the personnel here momentarily, but it was to be there and see it in person, because Buck, I think where you're coming at it from, it's like, this is a you can't do this, This doesn't make sense. This is number one overall pick. This is so early in his development. But to be in a stadium that's dead as a door nail and to see how embarrassingly bad this offense was. Its embarrassing that that's why I did not see and this could be an overreaction and viewed as such, but that's what it is stemming from and the other thing. And I'll get your thoughts on this. I tweet this out. It's unscientific, but when you go to a stadium, as we do each and every week, I look out into the stands and I look to see the jerseys that they have there. So if you think about receivers right which you can start multiples, tight end running back, do you know how many of their current players at those positions? When I looked around the stands that I seen a Chuba hubberd jerseys that I see in exavierly getting jerseys.
Speaker 2: No, you know what I saw. I saw Muggsy Bogue jersey. That was what I saw.
Speaker 3: There was more Buggsy Bogue jerseys in the stands in Carolina than there were for their current skill guys. Their offensive line is not good. It's just it's there's a long list of things that got us to this point. But I do think that it is in some ways not surprising that this this move is taking place this early. That's how bad it looked yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, it sounds like an organizational failure from top to bottom. And let's be honest, it's been a bit of a mess since David Teffery kind of popped in and all the moves, the secession of moves that were made. Right, So, you think about you fire Ron Rivere, you bring in I mean, Matt Rule, it doesn't necessarily work. You remove on from Cam Newton, you bring in, i mean, just a revolving door of quarterbacks. You get the number one overall pick, you make the selection with Bryce Young And I'll say this honestly, DJ, it probably didn't help that on Sunday night, the Houston Texans played with the second overall pick in CJ. Stroud and they looked nothing like the ineptitude that you're seeing in Carolina. All of that stuff factors into it. And I just wonder, with the franchise and with the number one overall pick Bryce Young, where do you go from here?
Speaker 2: You know? Because when you put a plug to put.
Speaker 4: Andy Dalton in man, that is saying something in a major way about.
Speaker 2: How you feel about the number one overall pick and Bryce Young, you know.
Speaker 6: And I wonder, and oh, look, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Dan Morgan was on the Panthers in that Panther's front office when they made that trade, but he wasn't, you know, the one with the final say there right, you know. But I do wonder if that had been if this had been his show, right, and if it had been Dave Canalis's show, and they had all you know, gone in on Bryce Young that way together, would there be a longer leash here? But the fact that that was, I guess if you call it, you know, from a era at least halfway speaking through the head coach, you know, you maybe feel like you have a little bit more of a of a rope to to, you know, make this move right now and move to Andy Dalton. But yeah, it was clear DJ, they had to do something. You can't go on like this, You're gonna lose the rest of the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not it's not a Bryce Young singular issue, but he's not. You can say, I can say that Bryce Young is not the problem with this team, but I can also say, at this point in time, I don't know that he has the skills to be the solution to what they where they are right now, they don't at least with you know, with any dogts. You say, at least we have some experience and some knowledge to maybe provide to this group. But when you when you have not when you don't have hard of any weapons, and you go out and you trade up. But one spot that they did to go get Xavier Lyguet is the guy that you've you've identified. We have no playmakers on this team. We don't have difference makers. That's our guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: He targets shed yesterday zero zero. And it's not like I looked, I watched the game. I prepped for that game. There was not Andre Johnson and Randy Moss on the field with him to be taking targets away from him. That didn't make any sense to me. So I again, there are six players away from maybe being ten players away from being good.
Speaker 6: And the only thing I.
Speaker 3: Would caution, the only thing I would caution with the comparison with him and CJ, and CJ has been awesome. CJ has been fantastic. But the only thing I would caution is look at those rosters. How many players for the Carolina Panthers would start for the Houston Texans. And when you come to that conclusion, I think everybody will back off of Bryce Young just a little bit.
Speaker 2: But it's bad.
Speaker 3: It is bad right now in Carolina. Let's get to the next game here. Let's get to the one we're referencing with Houston and Chicago RTT. When you look at you look at that ballgame, offensively, both teams, I mean, only be talked about is the Bears having struggled. Both teams did struggle a little bit, and I think it's credit to two outstanding defenses.
Speaker 6: No question.
Speaker 5: But it's the one in Houston that's getting the headlines here today because of the pressure they put on Caleb William six sacks in the game, twenty three hurrys, thirty two pressures, pressured on thirty eight percent of his dropbacks, and big reasons for those pressures, of course were Daniel Hunter, this year's Marquis free agency acquisition by Nick Casario and the Houston Texans, and of course Will Anderson, the number three overall pick last year, each had seven pressures in this game, and they were running a lot of stunts. They were moving guys around in this Bears offensive line from top to bottom, left to right was completely overwhelmed. I think there's a lot of talk about the interior guys not being great. Well, both tackles got whooped a number of times. I mean, you had Darnell right out there on that last sack there from from Will Anderson. You know, it looked like he was playing first base and he was stretching to pick up, you know, pick up a throw from the third baseman to beat the runner. It was so overextended, right, I mean, ayk will Anderson or Daniel Hunter on that one.
Speaker 6: It didn't even touch Darnell Wright.
Speaker 5: It kind of was like a receiver running a corner route at the top of his break and just kind of gave him a little stick and got a you know, Roxton Jones there on the left side certainly took his fair share of it as well. Everybody has, you know, some blame to wear in that one. I think it's amazing that Caleb Williams finished this game right. So they've got to figure some stuff out there. I think that you know, some of this you gotta look at. They've got to do some stuff scheme wise too, to figure out a way to neutralize some of this pass rus just not just on you know, one on ones offensive lineman getting beat. They got to figure out some ways to get the ball out of Caleb's hands and to get him out of there if they if they can't hold up in the pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it was a lot of pressure. I mean, he was under constant duress.
Speaker 4: And I think what Kayleb Williams discovered is how much different the game is at the pro level compared to the collegiate level. The things that he was able to get away with at USC when he would leave the pocket, he can't do those things because the windows are smaller, the players are much faster, and the hits are far more vioalient. Now he escaped arm in terms of not being like stroke to the point where he was staying down.
Speaker 2: But man, he took some shots.
Speaker 4: And what you would like him to do is to be able to win with his arm and be less reliant on his legs. But when you're the Houston Texans, and the Texans are putting pressure on him, like like he was seeing, Look, man, you got to do what you can do.
Speaker 2: But you just saw the.
Speaker 4: Impact of pressure on a young quarterback and how it completely broke down not only his game, but it broke down to Chicago Bears game plan.
Speaker 5: Look in DJ on that front with like there's just there's nowhere for him to escape to. It's like everybody's getting beat and some of these some of these guys are just getting pushed back into his lap. And so you know, even though it may not be a you know, a defender that's about to sack him, there, I mean like the offensive lineman is in his chest and so there's just.
Speaker 6: There's nowhere to maneuver. It's like he can't step up and make a throw to beat the edge. It's just there.
Speaker 5: There's no escape plan. There's no like easy solute. There were no easy solutions for him in this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also a game of adjustments, and I give Tomko ryans a lot of credit the Bears came out. When you start this tape and you watch it, Caleb got into a little them early. It was a it was a four man rush. They were able to get free releases off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: He was on time.
Speaker 3: He actually started out the game well. And then what happened is they had an instance where they collapsed the center, and once they saw the kind of the instability of the interior of this offensive line, they attacked it. They attacked it with pressures, sim pressures. Then they ended up just just even when they went simple games like simple simple twists they.
Speaker 2: Did, they couldn't pick it up. So now it just it sped Caleb up.
Speaker 3: And then Caleb again Buck talked about trying to create and extend plays like a did a s seat. This is you know, this is not you're not dodging one car here, You've got this is a highway? Is an autobahns coming over the place he's playing, Yeah, it's exactly what was.
Speaker 2: He's playing Frogger out there.
Speaker 3: So I'm going through this and I'm like, okay, oh boy, the center got collapsed, and I just started checking that, checking it checking it, checking it, and so that that became a problem. Now he got hung up on number one a few times. That's a teaching moment. And I've seen Caleb in this game and throughout his career. He can get through progressions. It's not something he's incapable of doing. But there were some instance he hung on too long number one. Teaching point. Okay, you learn from that tape. Their screen game, the timing and their screen game is not good. There's teams and buck you've seen it. Haven't been around the Packers. I saw it with Andy Reid. There's certain coaches and schemes that understand screens, understand timing, they teach it well, they execute it well. And there's other teams that doesn't look right. They're not a good screen team right now. They're timings jacked up on that stuff. So they've got to be better with that. He doesn't get credit on the stat sheet, you know, for some of these things. But there's a third and fourteen or about the thirty yard line, he rips a seam, it's perfectly thrown. You get interference. They get the ball right there inside the ten yard line. That's a thirty yard throw or whatever with a high degree of difficulty. It doesn't show up on the box score because you got to pass interference. Following that, he hits Roma Dunes a little pop that Rome's unfortunately not able to bring that one in. There's other drops throughout the game. I mean, there's there was a lot of other issues. But the thing that I was encouraged was RTT mentioned. He got up, He got the stuffing kicked out of him, and he just kept getting up and getting up and getting up and getting up. And I didn't see him Buck show up his offensive lineman. I didn't see him just like, oh, here we go again. They just rushed forward. I just got smoked. He just he got back up. The one thing that did bother me for their team. And I know Dj Moore is he's I've heard nothing, but he's a great dude. Everywhere he's been, teammates love him. I thought he got frustrated in that game. The ball wasn't finding him. They weren't on the same page with back shoulder throws. There were some near misses, but his quarterback is getting the snot kicked out of him. And then after an errant throw, Dj Moore kind of flips his helmet off on the sideline and in my opinion, he showed up his quarterback making his second start.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 3: That's something that needs to be communicated to him and just a little a little recognition buck of Hey, maybe as receivers, maybe we go back and watch the heat that the stude was under before you start getting frustrated with the ball being a little left or right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, DJ, I think that's one of the things that when you start a young quarterback is one of those things that should be communicated to not only all the veterans, but the coaches. How we handle, how we react, your body language, those things. Because you are playing a young quarterback who's in the second start. He's trying to figure it out. The speed of the game is so much faster than what he's used to and we have these outside expectations on what he should be able to do right away. DJ Moore should know better. They compensated him, well, they just did his contract. He had to know going in it's gonna be some ups and downs when you play the young quarterback. What I loved is I saw Keenan Allen working with the young quarterback, talking to him on the side and those things, but you know, you want everyone to be on board and in the heat of the moment, yes, those frustrations can sometimes boil over, but you would like to see him have a little more composure, a little more poise where he doesn't show up the quarterback on national.
Speaker 2: TV, so it becomes maybe a bigger issue than it really needs to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all that being said, their defense was so outstanding. They had the ball in their hands with the chance to drive at the end of the game to go win the ball game. So if you're a Bears fan, I would take tremendous encouragement from that. The defense is stellar, Your quarterback is really tough. There's some offensive line issues that aren't going to get solved, you know, personnel wise until we get to the offseason. But they can clean up some of their at least communication issues that they've had, so not all lost Houston. That defense, that front is legit, and they've got guys that can win all those ches and they can push the pocket. Oh big time, big time, big time. That's one of the best teams in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I mean it is.
Speaker 3: There's no shame in that for the Chicago Bears. Let's get to the next game here, Dallas, New Orleans. Rhett, you look at the Cowboys, you look at the Saints. I mean, I could make an argument that the Cowboys defense is the biggest takeaway. I can make an argument with the same are doing on offense their two games is the biggest takeaway. There's a lot of different ways you can go here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I actually kind of looked at the sequencing of this thing a little bit too, because I think on the surface, most people kind of look at this, you know, like, oh, this will blowout from start to finish. Now, even though the Saints scored touchdowns on their first six possessions, say that again, they score touchdowns on their first six possessions, which is pretty incredible. I think you do have to look at this thing a little bit deeper in that you go back, it was twenty one to six in the second quarter. Here Dak makes a phenomenal tight window throw to ceed Lamb and CD takes it the distance, and all of a sudden, it's twenty one thirteen here in the second quarter.
Speaker 6: I have very much a ballgame here.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: The Saints then go on on eleven play seventy yard touchdown drive to make it a twenty eight to thirteen game. And this is where things start to get off the rails. Cowboys go on another drive of their own. They're approaching midfield here, and they got a chance to get it back to a one score game. And you got a wide open slant route that's going to go like Dak sees it, he fires, it's a good throw. Jalen Brooks is running that route and he trips, he trips, he falls, and it is an easy interception for the defender. And at that point, the wheels start coming off the bus because then the Saints score off that interception for their fifth straight touchdown, and then the Cowboys do march down. They get a field goal for the end of the half. But it's thirty five to thirteen right at that point, and you're like, holy smokes, we're about to make this, you know, look like we're about to make this a one score game again. All of a sudden, things start snowballing. Look, and I think for the Cowboys, they'll go back offensively and they'll look at their first two drives at thirteen and fourteen, play drives on their first two and they only come away with six points on those drives. They get down to the thirty four and down to the twenty obviously can't have that. You know, they had zero third down conversions in the red zone. They ran nine plays in the red zone, got zero touchdowns and through an interception. So just not great overall for the Cowboys here defensively, you know, they succumbed dj to what Alvin Kamara started to like. I mean it's like we got Christmas Day, you know, four years ago Alvin Kamara against by the way, on Mike Zimmer coach defense, if you might.
Speaker 2: Recall m okay.
Speaker 4: So that's a good pool because that explains the nightmares at the bottom of the screen. What I would say this, having studied Clinton Kobi K's offense last week for the Notebook, I knew that he was really in his bag when it came to free snap motions, shifts, play passes, misdirection and deception. And I'm gonna say this, like Derek carl looks very comfortable running that type of offense. But it's not just Derek Carr. I think it's Alvin Kamar being the chess piece. I go back to years ago at the Combine where we watched after those running backs work out. It was Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamar, and I felt like they put on one of the best exhibitions of route running that I've ever seen from wide receivers, and it was them going tip for tech when it came to running routes and for all of the love that Christian McCaffrey would get being that chess piece that you can move around the board like the Queen. Alvin Kamara has the same kind of potential and capability, and what we're seeing, we're seeing the Saints utilize all of the skills that he brings to the table.
Speaker 2: This is a fun offense to watch and I never imagine.
Speaker 4: Going into this year that this was going to be a musty TV offense based on what Clint Kubiak is doing with Alvin Kamara, Derek Carr and all of the Bills.
Speaker 2: And Wilson's with his offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun watching their offensive tape. It was physical, it was well coordinated, it was well designed, it was well executed. And next year when I released my first Top fifty, you guys, I need as friends and accountability partners to you guys to say, Okay, put now close your computer DJ and put it away and unplug your phone. Because I love Talisi. Fuaga loved him, and I ended up. I think I moved him down, maybe a couple spots, not far. He was still way high up my list, but I think he was my top offensive He was right behind Alt. I think I had him right behind Alt on my first list in terms of offensive lineman. He's been awesome. Man, he has been awesome. And it's like, Okay, well this test or, this drill who cares his tape was so good. He was so physical. He's been excellent along that offensive line. One interesting note, Doug Farrer had a tweet and I just pulled it up because it brought up a great point. You know, we always talk about guys having to switch positions in the NFL and offensive linemen. That can be difficult. But when you look at Joe Alt, who's swapped, who from from left to right, Dominique Pooney who's gone from tackle to guard, Fuaga who's gone from the right to the left, Cooper Bebe he's gone from tackle to back inside, these guys are playing the best of these rookie linemen and they're playing a position they didn't play last year. So let's keep an open mind when we're evaluating players that that versatility can Guys can.
Speaker 2: Do different things. They don't need to be type cast, so to speak.
Speaker 5: How many forty four point performances have you seen where the quarterback only completes eleven passes.
Speaker 3: That's efficient, it's pretty amazing, an explosion bucks As a play caller on the high school level, efficiency and explosiveness is a good combination.
Speaker 4: It is a good combination. And that's the thing that's really interesting about the Saints. We won't necessarily call them San Francisco in terms of like how they deploy their personnel, but man, when you think about this offense and you think about the number of play callers that have utilized a version of the Kubiak Shanahan, whatever system that you want to talk about, it creates a lot of stress and a lot of headaches with defensive coordinators trying to figure out how to handle all of the things that they do, and with the Saints because they have, like everyone talks about the quarterback being central to the offensive success, I believe is that that offensive weapon that Alvin Kamari Is that really puts you into buying because his ability to run it, catch it, line up anywhere, and do a bunch of different things really creates opportunities for the others.
Speaker 2: Hass off to Clan Kubiak. This this is fine.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to continue to see how he builds and expand on what they've already shown the football world thus far.
Speaker 2: Also hat tip to.
Speaker 3: Jeff Ireland, who's been you know, the personnel architect in New Orleans for a long time, who's done an excellent job of identifying and drafting players. Doesn't put his name out there, isn't somebody that needs all the love. He's been a general manager before. He is really good at scouting players and adding talent. And the Saints team that I don't know that we thought about much less talked about all offseason is off to a two and zero start and the team that cruise to a victory is the Minnesota Vikings and a big time, big time game for them, second year in a row. They beat the forty nine Ers, which, by the way, I did predict that one. So of all the games that I got wrong, and every fan base gives me crap. Hey, Viking fans. Who's got your back here?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: They match up well, it's a former coach when you look at at someone and Kevin O'Connor, who's got a very good understanding and familiarity with the way Kyle Shannon and coaches and teaches and schemes it up.
Speaker 2: He's got some recent success here.
Speaker 3: But the biggest story for me in this ball game was Sam You know, you look at Sam Donald two under sixty eight yards, including this ninety seven yard bomb to Justin Jefferson that was right on the money.
Speaker 2: He's doing what we thought he would do.
Speaker 6: Buck.
Speaker 3: We knew we had all that ability, needed the opportunity. I'm in here in Carolina and I'm sitting here thinking they had Sam Donald and Baker Mayfield in the building. It wasn't working out for them there.
Speaker 2: They both move on.
Speaker 3: They've both been successful and more stable organizations. That leads you to believe that maybe the quarterback wasn't the issue when it comes to the struggles of the Carolina Panthers. But going back through this game, Sam, I mean, I just feel like I'd be repeating all the stuff that I liked about him coming out. I would just say the only difference maybe is if he has a negative play, I think he doesn't let it snowball maybe like he did at times with the Jets early on in his career. He's able to flush it get to the next play. But quick release, quick eyes. He can use his legs when he needs to. His skill set has never been a question, and now it looks like you're marrying that with the right scheme, the right personnel, the right play caller.
Speaker 4: It's really interesting to see Sam Donald's re emergence as a player that people like, particularly in the football world, because there were so many high grades on him in the twenty eighteen class third overall pick. And what it does is it goes to show you the importance of the pieces around the quarterback.
Speaker 2: It's not only the play caller.
Speaker 4: Kevin O'Connell, who's outstanding when it comes to quarterback play, but it's the weapons. It's having a Justin Jefferson on the outside. It's having some of the other pieces like the running game Tyd Chandler and Aaron Jones being able to kind of combind for well over one hundred yards. It's being able to give confidence to the quarterback because you know, hey man, you don't have to do everything.
Speaker 2: Your job is just to be the distributor.
Speaker 4: And maybe for the first time and Sam Donald's playing career, he has been given.
Speaker 2: Those luxuries while being the starting quarterback.
Speaker 4: It does say a lot when you go back and you look at the situations that he was previously in, particularly in Carolina, where so much of the blame was placed on him and.
Speaker 2: It was kind of placed on Baker not being good enough.
Speaker 4: Maybe we're seeing coaching matters, the support staff matters.
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks need a.
Speaker 4: Lot of things to play really well at the high level. Sam Donald's kind of like an example of how if you get the right things around the quarterback and you have the right play caller whispering sweet, nothing's guy can play at high level.
Speaker 6: Play caller playmakers, right.
Speaker 5: I mean we talked about that about, you know, justin Jefferson, you know, taking that ninety seven yard touchdown connection a lot of it. It was a deep throw, certainly from Darneld, but still the catch and run there from Jefferson was pretty impressive. I did want to look at things on the offensive side of the ball for the San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: Look they put up.
Speaker 5: You know, they were production wized fine, four hundred and seven total yards, but just thirty three of those four hundred plus yards coming on third down, just a single rushing yard of those thirty three coming on thre They were two of ten on third down in this game, converted one in the in the first quarter, not another one until the fourth quarter. I think a lot of that. Basically, you got to give some credit to what Brian Flores is doing with that defense. Mixed up some really good coverage looks. They had some man looks there that were you know, the forty nine ers targets weren't able to generate separation. Also some well timed zone packages that helped take away the middle of the field that force brought to hold the ball a little bit. One of those inbreakers wanted that bender route a couple of times, just couldn't get it, and then the pass rush eventually gets to him here. So I mean, I think when you look then at that defense in the framework of what you know Equasi has done from an evaluation standpoint, in front office standpoint, let's look at how they built this thing. They had some pieces, certainly, but how about the free agent acquisitions this year Jonathan Grenard big time, Andrew Van Ginkel underrated, big time free agent acquisition for Brian.
Speaker 6: Cashman, Like Cashman out there has done a nice job.
Speaker 5: Gilmore coming in light to play a bunch of snaps for him at corner, doing a really good job. And then Dallas Turner who they take in the first round, not just him Ivan Pace last year. And how about Pat Jones the second from Pitt It was a third round pick, and I'm he is coming on and really flashing and becoming a major contributor on this defense.
Speaker 6: Really solid in the run game, stood up.
Speaker 5: George Kittle a couple of times in this game he was in the backfield, closed down a run from the backside.
Speaker 6: He had two of their five sacks.
Speaker 2: DJ.
Speaker 5: I mean like, I feel like he was a name. We didn't talk about a ton. What did you have in your report on Pat Jones?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just pulled up my notes on him. So interesting player. Patrick Jones come out of pit. He was six h four to two so and sixty one pounds. He ran four nine to four at his pro day, so not a great time in terms of the workout. I had him as my one hundred and forty sixth player. I dropped him after that workout, which is a great lesson to learn there because he was a ninetieth pick and he's been excellent. So here are the notes. They love him at the school. He's ahead to the chest, our player like he just would bury his head into dudes and walk them straight back. Needed a little bit of a runway, not a loose bendy athlete at the top, but played with maniacal effort, with his hair on fire. They move him up and down the line of scrimmage. Had had a great was down there at the Senior Bowl, had a great ten time. So again, that's a lesson, right. I teach it every year. I preach it every year at the combine throw out the forty. With these pass rushers, it's just a ten that matters. But Buck, I feel like when you go back and look at that card as we like to call it on the board, and you just see that four nine four, and I'm sitting here looking at all these other pass rushes, all these explosive numbers, and I'm sitting there going, well, maybe I maybe I pull back a little bit on the grid. That's a that's a good reminder that's a lesson learned there not to do that in the future because he's playing really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, playing really well.
Speaker 4: And it is it is something we talked about, lessons we learned and how you can get better. But DJ, I feel like we've said it multiple times. Read too, We've said it multiple times throughout this thing. Sometimes it's just trusting to tape. It's trusting to tape, trusting with your I s and then also hoping that the player goes to the right spot, he's in the right environment to fully flourish. And this league is is everything that we talk about, like, is fun to watch the competitive games is intriguing to watch the young players if they land in the right spot. And it's also about the reclamation projects, the guys that it doesn't work out initially, but then it works out later because they find the right spot.
Speaker 2: Just so many lessons to be learned each and every weekend.
Speaker 3: All right, let's let's get to the next game here at Tampa Detroit. What was your takeaway there?
Speaker 6: You no, I went in.
Speaker 5: I was like, all right, let me see what's going on this. You know, the Baker Mayfield phenomenon, right, the resurgence in Tampa, you know, deserves a good hard look and I just kind of felt like they held on on offense. I mean it's nothing spectacular, certainly, and they just kind of held it, you know, kind of held tough.
Speaker 6: I think credit to the Bucks defense for sure, but they made some plays. Certainly.
Speaker 5: You've seen this one here to Godwin, and Baker's been really good these his running. The way he ran the football in this game was big. This this you know, design QB draw for Baker Mayfield didn't know that Liam Cohen had that one in the playbook, but obviously worked out for him there. I think this ultimately just comes down to, you know, the Lions made some serious mistakes in this game. Look at that interception right there. You know that felt like it was probably a little PI at the top of the break, Jameson Williams gets kind of bumped off his route. I you know, I'd like to see him be a little bit more competitive at the top there with the ball in the air. But you know, that was an interception. And then the second one for Golf was just a killer. It got some interior pressure and just kind of throws it up for grabs. Nobody home except for three Buccaneers defenders there. I think, you know again this will come down to And Dan Campbell comes out after the game and says, this game is one hundred percent on me. Head coach cost our team this game because of the miscommunication that happened at the end.
Speaker 6: Of the first half.
Speaker 5: Buckying with your head coaching perspective here, you can kind of give us a sense of what's going through the mind of a head coach. Right, So they get the ball, they have no time, they've used their last time out, they're down in the red zone. Golf completes as del Mona Saint Brown. They got seventeen seconds left. The clock is running tick tick tick tick tick tick, and it's like, okay, you got the field goal team coming in from the sideline. But Golf is thinking he's trying to get up there and spike it, but you got and so he spikes it. Field goal team's trying to get off. They don't get off in time. You got too many men on the field. So what's going on in the headsets there at that point?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it obviously sounds like it's one of those things where if the head coach is indecisive, it's not communicated quickly to the special teams coach and to the offensive coordinator, what are the next steps? What's the plan of action? And you would like to think it's something that's been rehearsed. You know what the magic number is in terms of how many seconds we need to be able to either run the field, go team on the field, or what is the plan? And so I appreciate Dan Campbell owning it because some of those times as a head coach, you have a lot that you're thinking about and sometimes those scenarios, that situation may have been one that you just forgot to either talk about, rehear or go through with the players.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: It's an expensive learning lesson, but it's one that I can guarantee you going forward, you will never have the same kind of mistake.
Speaker 3: At the end of mass right, I just love the fact there was ownership there.
Speaker 2: I mean, real quick.
Speaker 3: Listen to listen to what he said after the game, because this is this is what ownership looks like.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I asked for improvement from last week, was the story. And we did improve, we did improve, and their coach cost him. Their head coach cost him this one so.
Speaker 2: Critical error in the half.
Speaker 1: And uh me, we improved. There's areas we got to continue to approve on. But it's not okay, there you go.
Speaker 2: That's accountability.
Speaker 3: That's why Dan Campbell's beloved by his players because he owned it when it was when it was on him. Last thought on this one is Chris god from Tampa HTT talked about nothing really jumping out to me.
Speaker 2: I just feel like he's just one of those underappreciated players.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just being in the shadow of Mike Evans, but you watch him all the guy does.
Speaker 2: He can play inside, he can play outside.
Speaker 3: He's strong, he's physical, he's good after the catch, he's competitive in the run game like just a really really solid player. That is one of those shadow guys. I just feel like he hasn't necessarily got his due. But I remember when Tom Brady first got to Tampa, of all the different players they had on that particular team, Chris Godwin was the one that he would often mention as someone who was just a pros pro and someone that he felt comfortable with. So just want to give Chris Godwin his flowers. Alright, guys, this probably was the game most anticipated, maybe you know, the most intriguing matchup, and it played out that way.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati Bengals. Once again, they start zero to two.
Speaker 3: They had every right and opportunity to win this ball game, but just did not make the one play that needed to be made. It was we'll start there, Buck, I guess I can go with you first. It is past interference. People lose their minds about it. Chiefs have won back to back Super Bowls three out of four. I get all that that was a legit penalty. This was a game the Bengals had to win, had it right in front of them, just didn't finish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta finish the game.
Speaker 4: And I mean in the odds when you turn the ball over three times, it's really hard to win it this league. And this was a game that was right there or set upon a platter for the Bengals to take advantage of it, and they didn't. And it's one of those things that we'll look back at the end of the year, whether they get into postseason or not, or if they were what seed they earned.
Speaker 2: They're gonna regret giving this one away.
Speaker 4: But if you're the Kansaity Chiefs, I just liken it to Andy Reid and the Chiefs have mastered the art of winning. There is something about when you win games and you're used to winning, it just continues to kind of build that confidence or that know how to get it done. And that's what I see when I look at the Kancity Chiefs. No matter the situation and that circumstance, they have enough in that that that bank, that mental bank of how to win, and they get it done. And it's gonna be hard to knock them out because the two time champs just continue to find ways to win games.
Speaker 5: I think I look at a cause and effect in this one. DJ Bucky, I get your your thoughts on this, guys. I think we started to see the armor come off of the rookie left tackle Kingsley Suamatia in this game against Yeah, I got bench late in the game one Ye Morris had to come in and Morris, I mean almost helped him lose the game, negated a you know, a twenty one yard catch by Rashid Rice with illegal hands to the face, little tikie tacky. But can't can't put yourself in a position like that late in the game when you're trying to go down there and win it. And eventually they did get bailed out by the p I on the Bengal side of things that allow for the Bucker game winner. But Trey Hendrickson, you know, thirty two percent pressure rate this week, highest in the league, and he leads the league through two weeks. So it's not just Kingsley that's a dang good player out there on that edge for But he had his way with Kingsley Suamati in this game at two sacks coming off that edge and you know, obviously forced the line up change there. But here's the thing, like the cause and effect part, right, either Andy Reid and companies saw something in this Bengals defense that they wanted to run the football or they did not want to subject Kingsley to any further issues with Trey Hendrickson and subject Patrick Mahomes any further its because they ran the ball very well in this game all the way up until the point where Isaiah Pacheco left the game with what is now known as a you know, fractured ankle, going to be out six to eight weeks.
Speaker 6: He had nineteen carries in this game for ninety yards.
Speaker 5: Carson Steel had seven carries in this game and was getting some big carries late in the game to try to ice this thing. So, you know, I think that part of it DJ probably goes hand in hand with how we saw the Chiefs operate. Because anytime you're seeing you know, Travis Kelcey get three targets in a game and only one catch, you know that they were doing some things on the ground or trying to minimize some things through the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not in the camp that's surprised that Kingsley Suamtea is having difficulties.
Speaker 2: I thought he was a project, you know. That's why I was a little bit surprised he went as high as he did.
Speaker 3: He was my one hundred and first player, so I he was my fourteenth tackle in the draft and now the he looks great on paper with six ozho four five three twenty six, he's got thirty four and change arms. He ran a five oh four to forty. He is you know, he's very quick footed. Going through my notes, he's thick, he's proportioned, he's got quicks going to the second level. He's pretty good in space. He just ducks his head a lot at the point of attack, and his hands are very poor. Like there was a lot of work that needs to be done with his hands, so you know they're going to try and work on that and try and fix that the best they can. But I thought it was pretty It showed you how important that game was to them, that they hooked him, you know, as someone who they had put their trust in, you know, right out to shoot that they weren't going to watch that horror show anymore with with the struggles he was having against Trey Hendrickson. So interesting from that standpoint. On the other side, Cincinnati Buck, they I believe they're one in nine in their first two games of the season since Joe Burrow's been there. Like they just have this way of just kind of starting out low before they find their footing and they'll then they'll get it going. But they're not whole right now roster wise, or not totally healthy. Offensively, Chases Gollie. He very frustrated. That was a costly penalty in that game. He's got to get his emotions under check a little bit. But you'll see Vosh having a good game for them. I guess I say this because I've seen it in the past. I don't really worry about them. I think they're going to be fine. I think they're going to be Okay, that's the defending champ. They didn't play their best and should have won the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's interesting about that.
Speaker 4: You talk about the slow stars and how what one and nine and the Joe Burrow era, and we always talk about AH to two start being a death sentence, but when you really think about it, I mean, you have seventeen games. There's plenty of opportunity for the schedule to kind of come back to you where you have an opportunity to close ground and do those things I do want to win. You're Zach Taylor and the approach that they have taken throughout the preseason where they don't really play their guys. They're not really physical, and we have talked about the Kan City Chiefs who jump out on people because they do play there guys.
Speaker 2: You would like to start out faster, but you do know as a marathon not a sprint. It just kind of.
Speaker 4: Cuts some of the cushion that the Bengals have in terms of having a couple of hiccups later in the year.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have to be playing their best.
Speaker 4: Once we get into the muss of November December to be able to kind of secure a playoff berth and to be one of the teams that we thought it would be, which would be.
Speaker 2: A top team.
Speaker 3: It's a team that when you get over to the Kansas City side of things, is going to be without Isaiah Pacheco.
Speaker 2: I'd believe was six to eight weeks coming off of surgery coming out of that game.
Speaker 3: So gonna be a little more steel action there for the Kansas City chiefsrtt. Let's get to the next one here. Maybe one of the big surprises of the day Vegas going on the road. They lose to Jim Harbaugh and they go on the road and they beat John Harball, which puts the Ravens at zero to two for the first time since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think the guy that you're going to talk about here in a minute, Brock Bauers at a big, big, big say in the Raiders comeback effort there in the fourth quarter in this game, at four straight scoring drives to end the game.
Speaker 6: That's winning football right there if the Las Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 5: Now for the Ravens, I kind of looked at that side, what do we see him with this, you know, Baltimore offense, what do we see?
Speaker 6: This is I think what they want to look like.
Speaker 5: I mean, had twenty seven attempts on the ground, went for five yards of carry. I mean Lamar was I think five carries forty five yards is about right what you want to see from him. And I think ultimately this comes down to an interception, a turnover that you know, Rashad Bateman probably should have caught for the Ravens. Tough catch, but it goes right into the arms of robertsplane and so they turn it over that way. They made some you know, they had a real hard time converting third downs in the fourth quarter and extending drives and staying on the field to try to put this game out of reach. And so I went back and looked at what happened on the early downs to force those third down situations, and they had some critical errors on two drives that ended in three and outs. They had a second down where essentially like a read option with Lamar he pulls it, he's about to take it, and Mark Andrews has a one on one block.
Speaker 6: With looks like a corner and just kind of whiffs it.
Speaker 5: Or there was maybe some miscommunication about what was happening, and that corner just has an easy layup to bring Lamar down right there, and so they're in a third, you know, a third down situation. They don't get next one right guard completely misses Crosby on a stunt and Crosby just smashes Lamar for a second sack of the game. You just kind of can't have those on those early second downs, on those critical drives in the fourth quarter where you're trying to run the ball out and they didn't convert on third and thus giving the Raiders an opportunity to go find brock Bauers there d DJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bowers was awesome this second week in a row. And Buck I don't think that it was an exaggeration when I said it at the time. I thought he'd be their best offensive weapon this year. You're seeing it through a couple of games, his speed, his ability to line up all over the field. They've run a nice little seven man protection, you know, getting just a couple guys out in the route so they give menshoot time. They're able to get kind of that little wineback going backside off of a boot.
Speaker 2: They've hit that two weeks in a row.
Speaker 3: Hit it against the Chargers, hit it against the Ravens, getting Brock Bowers to ball in space, and for a team that doesn't have a ton, He's already proving himself to be a good selection there for Tom Tellusca with his first pick as the Raiders GM, yeah, he has.
Speaker 4: Proven to be a really good pick. And you can't go wrong with those offensive weapons. When you talk about a guy like Brock Borroughs who can do so many different things, and you know, the tied end position is one that is really tricky to scout and evaluate.
Speaker 2: But the things that we have found as those guys who are hyperds.
Speaker 4: On the perimeter who can do a lot lineup outside, lineup inside, play the traditional white or the flex while also taking the ball on handoffs, you can have a lot of success and a lot of fun with those and so I am not surprised to see the Raiders have success with him.
Speaker 2: Kind of as the focal point of the passing game.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to seeing them expand their multi tied end packages and do some fun stuff to really make the tied end the primary option in their passing game.
Speaker 3: That's a big win. That's a big win for the Raiders going on the road and knocking off the Ravens. Buck you were there for the clash of the Clemson quarterbacks. Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson. Look, this is a game that I think you can make a case both teams feel like you got to have this one. Your Jags don't come away with the Trevor Lawrence. Oh, and seven is last starts. At last seven starts. You see that little nug on the screen there. Let's start first of all, there, what the heck is wrong with your Jags?
Speaker 4: Dj I would equate it to a baseball player, a hitter being in a bad slump where you are out at your last twenty two at bats. But we know in life there's no such thing as momentum in terms of every interval at bat is a different experience, and so every game for the Jags is a different experience. But there feels like this heavy thing hanging over top of them because of the way they finished last season and the way that they lost in Week one, And so when you're on the sideline, you see a team that doesn't have that same confidence and swagger as you would think early in the year because most teams look their teams to start oh and one, but then week two you bounced right back, but it seemed like there was more weighing them down than just a and oh and one start where you kind of fell apart in the fourth quarter. This is a team that really needs their stars to play like stars, and Trevor Lawrence obviously is the biggest star. I will say, Trevor lawrence evolution and maturation as a leader came out. I saw him verbally chastise his teammates and encourage them. Hey man, we got to get the communication right because there's so many pre snap penalties and little things.
Speaker 2: That should be cleaned up by now.
Speaker 4: Trevor Lawrence spoke out about that, and as he continues to kind of grow into his role as the leader of the team, he has to check people like that.
Speaker 2: They're struggling right now. Offensively.
Speaker 4: Defensively they're playing pretty well, but right now, Trevor Lawrence in this offense, they got to get going and he needs his best players Christian Kirk, Evan Ingram, Travis Cittienn to help him. Because I will say this, when you see the CA that's Brian Thomas Junior that he made on Denzel Award down the field. DJ, the replay doesn't give it justice because you watched it field level. When you're looking at wide receivers, you always are trying to look at how they accelerate when the ball is in the air. This gear that BTJ has is remarkable. He has the potential to be really special in this league. He has just scratched the surface on how good he can be as a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 6: I kept watching that one.
Speaker 5: In fact, Bucky, I was like that the adjustment to that ball, just the way that that thing, I mean, that thing was, I mean was humming, and that was really impressive.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of times when we see games like this, the team puts up thirteen points, like, ah, you know, no explosive plays, They're just thinking and dunking.
Speaker 6: It all over the place.
Speaker 5: They had five explosive plays that accounted for one hundred and seventy two yards of their passing offense in this game, and so you take those out and outside of those plays, DJ treumbor Lawrence.
Speaker 6: Is nine of twenty six about forty yards. So it's like the opposite right, Like.
Speaker 5: They couldn't figure out maybe the layups is kind of what it felt like in this one. So I mean, like, yeah, they had the big plays, but they got to make the routine ones too, no doubt and quickly on Deshaun, much better game for him. Buck and I were talking before we got started here today about looked like he found a little bit of the swagger that had been missing.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting to see.
Speaker 3: Also, you know, mechanical stuff that I mentioned last week about sinking a little too much, sinking into throws and not being up up a little more upright, not getting so low and crouched and kind of losing losing his balance so to speak, that was a little bit better this week as well. So good for good for the Cleveland Brown's a good win for them over the Jacks. Last game here, Buck Washington and the New York Giants, the Giants stumble, Jayden Daniels gets his first win. A very quick, efficient game from him going through that tape, a chance to see him just get the ball out of his hands, get it where it needs to go, let guys run after the catch.
Speaker 2: I thought, Cliff.
Speaker 3: Kingsbury, someone who does understand the quick game, the screen game, you know, think about his background and where he came from with Mike Leach did a nice job of that. And I also thought, you know, he took sacks, but you know, sometimes I feel like sacks we view as negatives. And obviously as a veteran, you throw the ball away, but I'll take sacks over forces over forcing.
Speaker 2: Ball into harm's way. He avoided that. He did avoid that.
Speaker 4: And you know the other thing that I like about Jon Daniels, I like the way they utilized his running ability we saw in the clip, like just kind of the way they were able to pull it and have a little escort.
Speaker 2: Coming around the corner and doing some of those things.
Speaker 4: I also like the poise and him getting his first game, I guess game winning victory or whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 2: But they need to score touchdowns. They can't keep selling for field goals, but to be able to.
Speaker 4: Win again against the division rival. As a young quarterback in your second start, you have to like that. Dan Winn certainly has plenty to build upon, but he has alike where his young quarterback, how is young quarterback is progressive?
Speaker 5: I just got one thing on this one, and it was the quote from Dan Quinn after what this team's been through.
Speaker 6: I'm not about making field goals, and they.
Speaker 5: Made seven, so I would agree, you know you gonna get your first win of the season.
Speaker 6: I'd kick seventeen field goals if that's what it took.
Speaker 5: And so credit to Austin Cyber for making seven field goals like that is incredible and obviously you'd like to turn some of those into touchdowns, but I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Well, I will add this to finish it up with the Giants. Make sure that I get the number right here, because I was going for the tape. It jumped out to me. I mentioned the Panthers and the bewilderment of having traded up to get xavierly Get and then not throwing him one target in that game. Hey, the Giants know they've got one in elite neighbors and they're not affair to wear him out.
Speaker 2: Eighteen targets eighteen.
Speaker 3: Ten for a buck twenty seven and the speed is real, the shallow crossers getting in out of breaks. He is dynamic, he is going to be fun. So for a team that desperately needed a guy like this, he's just what the doctor ordered and didn't result in the win. But I applaud them for feeding him the rock, something that you know, some of these other teams got to figure out. You got your best players, your best athletes, give him the ball, give him a chance. And that's what Brian Daball did with Malik Neighbors. All Right, that was a jam packed show, went through a zillion games. It was a fun weekend Week two. Looking forward to the rest of the week, we got some great guests coming up on the show. I will leave those for you to figure out, but it's college football related.
Speaker 2: You're gonna enjoy it. Fun week here at Moon to six. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah,