Speaker 1: The guys from Ping. They've kind of shown me how much the equipment matters. I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Ping Proven Grounds podcast. I'm Shane Bak and joined as always by Marty Jerts, and we got a special guest today, Marty Jonathan Wall, longtime pal of mine, I know, a longtime friend of Ping's, of course from golf dot com. He's been all over the internet over the years and also host the Fully Equipped podcast. And you're listening to this podcast. I'm assuming you get into that as well. But Marty, I know you're playing some hot golf as of late, Jay Wall playing any golf. Is this a world you're you're existing in or is it just parenting and talking about equipment.
Speaker 3: It's definitely the latter. Right now. The golf on the golf course is non existent. Lots of testing, but it's kind to the point where I can't even get to the range some days. So have the launch monitor, have the net? Yeah, it's it's It is definitely not the days of playing golf on a golf course. Right now with the kiddos chasing me around.
Speaker 1: Well, I've decided, you know, we're going to talk today about ping equipment, kind of historically talk about ping equipment. We're talking about our favorite ping clubs. We talk about some historic golf shots that are hit. Marty's going to give us some insights into some of the ones that we're gonna mention over the years and decades of ping equipment that kind of has popped, if you will. And I was thinking about this. You know, there was a main floating around a few months ago, and it was it was basically men loved sitting around and talking to other men about old athletes. And I was thinking about this in kind of the golf world, and I think the golf equivalent to this is sitting around and talking about old golf clubs, you know, throwing out a name of an old club to somebody that's a similar age, Jaywall, you and I are are similar age players, grew up in kind of the same era. I know, I'm going to talk about some pin clubs that you attached yourself to as well. You've been covering the equipment side of things for the last what ten twelve years? Is there a ping club, Jonathan, that stands out to you, both maybe as a junior and also with somebody that's been in this face kind of paying attention to the specks of the clubs and talking to Marty about this as well. Are their clubs in the ping you know, atmosphere and ecosystem that stand out to you over the last couple of decades.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. I think for me selfishly, I go back to the ping I, to the brilliant Coppers. You know, those are the irons. They were righty and Bacon. You and I are lefties, so you always always want what you can't have, And that was that first set where I'm like, God, these things look great. All my buddies are talking about them, they talk about how great they feel. And then they came out with the ping I side and those are in Lefty and I was in heaven.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I would take them out there with my blottas. Still have that the ping jay Z cushion shafts. I mean, you couldn't even feel the golf ball coming off the face because it was so buttery soft with that ballata. But those are those irons that I think backed as a kid like out on the golf course in Texas, one hundred and ten degree heat, just pounding balls. Those are the irons. And it's funny because I was going back and doing a little bit of research on these irons, and Tiger actually talked about in twenty eighteen at the Players Championship stealing his dad's brillium copper one iron and he said that was the iron that he used to perfect the stinger. So it's kind of cool that, like Tiger was using brilliant copper, I had an attachment to those irons. I'm pretty sure you did too, oh for sure, But for sure those were the irons for me that were like the apex, Like if I could get those, I'm going to be a better player in man? Were they awesome?
Speaker 1: Marty? You know, you and I have talked a lot about the clubs that you've designed, which I think obviously hold a special place in your heart. Are there pin clubs that maybe you weren't involved in on the work side, that are stuck in the brain of Marty Jertsen that you love that you kind of like think back on, much like Jaywall touched on with the brilliums, Like, are there pin clubs that you'd think back on, like this was it? This was the one that I wanted as a kid. This was the one that I loved as a kid. This was the one when it got my bag, I was jazzed.
Speaker 4: Up to hit Man.
Speaker 2: I think I'm kind of with j Wall because growing up, I grew up in the small mining town and you know, being in Arizona a pretty close tie to ping, and all the good players at the course played itubes brilliant copper eye twos, So those I think my first very strong memory was brilliant copper eye twos. But Shane, I think going back, I think digging deep into my childhood and my first pink club was the B sixty putter. And you guys remember I remember Jim Colbert winning all those Champion Tours event and he's going like this, He's got his ping hecket had on. He's making all these putts with the B sixty and you know the shape of that is like a heart, you know, and it's kind of still has that visual association that I love that putter. That was my first ping club in my bag, And for whatever reason, I always think Jim Colbert that Putter sinking putts.
Speaker 1: OEM's Ping sponsors players, and you hope that something like that resonates Marty. We're gonna get into some of the historical golf shots hit with Ping clubs over the years. But Jonathan, I think one of the coolest parts, like I see Dustin Johnson now playing on Live and he's wearing non Adidas golf shoes and it kind of throws me for a loop right when it really works, when it really plays, when you have players like Bubba Watson or Louis Justeysen or Lorena Achoa that kind of attached themselves to the brand. You think of those players along with the clubs they use. Do you have somebody like the Colbert side for Marty that makes sense to you in that world for Ping? You know, like maybe it's a Bubba Watson with the pink driver that just popped for years that almost felt more than a partnership, almost more than a relationship, almost like Lebron or MJ with Nike.
Speaker 3: It's weird because I think a lot of people would probably say, like Bubba, he's attached to Ping. But for me, I think about like on Hell Cabrera like him just like just smoking heaters, going down the fairways at the US Open, Like that's a guy or or Miguel I mean him on the driving range doing his warm routine. Like just like some of these characters, I feel like that they kind of resonate with you. You see him and it's like, that's a Ping guy. Like I've seen him play Ping stuff, I've seen him win with it. I think the winning part, obviously is what attaches him. Like there are so many guys out there that have had a lot of success with Ping clubs, and they've had long term success that you realize it's like, yeah, this guy's a lifer, and I think that's more than anything. What I associate with Ping staffers is a lot of the guys that attach themselves to Ping aren't just there for like a brief minute. They're usually there for five, ten years, ten plus. I mean look above, But he's a lifetime Ping guy, signed a lifetime deal. So that's what I see with Ping is is that it's not just a guy who's like, Eh, you know, it's a hot club, I'm gonna try it. It's usually guys that play this stuff for a while they've been playing it for a while, and that's just what they druss.
Speaker 1: You know. Marty Jonathan brings up a great point on that, because that has been one of the most revealing parts of doing this podcast and getting a chance to interview so many of the players under the Ping brand and getting we get these note sheets sent for missying the team that are always incredible, and their deep dive note sheets that kind to help us out as we get ready for an interview. And it's crazy, almost every one of those sheets, Marty says, has played Ping since they're thirteen, you know, a part of the junior program since they were fifteen. I mean, we talk a lot about the Ping family, but the professionals that are part of Ping, to Jay Wall's point, they don't just pop in for a year or two. It feels like they're there for a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's pretty fun. It's how much we support the junior program and then how much trust we can build with our players as they go to turn professional. Especially in today's age, there's a lot of money being thrown around and a lot of competition out there, and just to know that, hey, we've serviced the players and the family and the brand takes such a holistic approach to helping players out in gaining that trust. I was gonna mention my association I have in my head Shane is with kind of the classic pink players, Calcubeccia, because you know, he won he won that waste management. He's using the Laker shaft, you know, and the TI aside driver at the time, and just blazing TPC Scottsdale in the rain that one year. That's, you know, a pretty strong association in my head.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that driver, Marty, and we're going to get to this, and you already kind of mentioned the first pink club you had in your bag. I'm an asked Jay Wall next, the first pink club you put in his golf bag? Mine was that driver that you just mentioned, the TSI I had it. I had two heads, by the way, and I had the three wood in the bag and I played most of my high school and junior golf with that. The interesting thing, and I think Marty, we've touched on this before, but it was such an interesting slot to put the driver through that you had to take it back to someone that really knew how to take shafts out. Yes, if you wanted to replace the shaft. This was long before you got the tool out. Clicked it out and pulled the chef out in six seconds. And I remember I took it to a guy in Shreveport, Louisiana, said, Oh, I can do it, no big deal. I got a shop in the back. I can pull a shaft out if you wanted it. And I wanted to put the pro force the Lakers shaft in the driver, much like Kal did in Phoenix, Lo and Behold. I got it back and it was a big bubble on the back of like the whatever you'd call the slot that the shaft went into. The guy did not do a great job of throwing that in there. But that was my first introduction to ping clubs. That was my first driver in the bag. The head cover was iconic, kind of looks like the color of the hat I'm wearing right now. And that thing just played and it was one of my favorite drivers ever had. I played it for a long long time. Jay Wall. That was kind of one of those drivers that in high school in that era, like basically from what maybe two thousand or ninety nine to one, if you didn't have that driver in the bag. You were kind of looked upon as another kind of like not having a hook for bag, right, like everybody in AJGA tournament had the ISSI driver had a hook for bag, like that was part of being a great player at the time. Do you remember the first kind of ping bat you had in your bag as a kid? I was gonna say that the whiff of nostalgia right now on this podcast is very, very strong. Is just going out of our goateea right now.
Speaker 3: Geez, you mentioned pro for shaft and I'm like, God, I remember that shaft. I could not hit it, but I could not hit it for the life of me, though, but I still had to like jam it in the bag. I'm like, everybody has this thing. I got it at three would yeah, you know? For for me, I go back to I had a really old answer. I don't remember where I got it, but it had the sound slot yeah in the soul and it mean just again, just that distinct ping sound with the ball coming off. And It's funny because I've tried so many putters over the years, I still have this one, but I still use I mean, now I've got a little bit of a different I've got a pod answer to with some tongusten weights and the bumpers. It's a sweet it's a sweet butter. But if if I were going to go to something else, it would probably be the old one, just because again, it has that nostalgia attached to it, and it's such a classic putter. I mean, we're going to get into it, I'm sure, but look what's the most copied club out there. It's It's the Answer. It's the Answer style putter. I mean people know it by different names now, but that's an answer and it's always going to be that way. So yeah, for me, old Answer, it's still beat. I should pibly pull it out to show you the gashes in the face. It looks a little bit like the Tiger wand I think it's I've beaten on it a couple of times over the years. But yeah, just an awesome, awesome putter and such a cool sound to it.
Speaker 1: Jay, Well, we're gonna have to have you post that when this podcast drops. We'll have you post it on your Instagram story or something so that people can get a good look at the putter or the answer you're talking about, Marty. A little like sports trades, a lot of clubs come out, they all are part of the history of a of a company. Maybe not all of them are bangers. Ye, Like we've seen with certain trades in sports over the years. We tasked you with kind of going through some of the iconic pain innovations over the years, like the ones that really hit. So I want you to kind of run through some of those, and Jaywall and I might jump in at times when we have our kind of personal moments with the clubs you mentioned, but I kind of wanted you to run through some of the real marks and kind of the Ping's company in terms of club innovation over the last you know, thirty forty decades.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Shane, the one we kind of touched on already was the Tia side and the Tia side tech. And the reason why I bring those up is they were they were way ahead of their time, you know. And I think Ping is, actually we've actually done this quite a few times looking back at our history. Is we'll launch something to the market and it's you know, arguably it's a little too early, like it it's a little too innovative, and then these things come back maybe a decade later. So like with the with the tia as I, it was having adjustable hazzles, right. It was the fact that hey, we need to have one head and we want to have different you know, from a custom fitting standpoint, we want to be able to manipulate the lying goal and the loft and get somebody dialed in. Now, Yes, that embodiment, that solution of using the plastic causal was hard to do, hard to repair and things of that nature, but it was very innovative, you know. And it also created a super lightweight hozzle which is super important to lower the center gravity and do some things like that.
Speaker 4: So I think that whole Tiasi tia Side.
Speaker 2: Tech metalwood family was super innovative, even down to the Fairway wood in the player's used that fairy I.
Speaker 4: Know you had in the bag. I certainly had in the bag.
Speaker 2: I think of Miguel Jimenez had the three five seventy nine in the bag for probably over a decade. You know, had laser beams with the tias Side Tech fairrywood. That one was really cool because they have the hozzle system and then it had it was titanium body with a zirconium soul plate with a tungsten weight screwed into it. So it's like the amount of tech multi material and these were cast at a foundry up in Prescott, Arizona. Right, we manufactured them here in the US domestically. We did all the manufacturing engineering R and D here, So again, that one really sticks out in my mind in terms of that transition to titanium to multi material, to adjustable hozzles, to lowering the center of gravity. All this magic was kind of put in there into that family, Jay Wall.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to hear Marty say a little bit of ahead of his time, because something I have noticed with golf clubs as I've been in and around golf over the last couple of decades is when something new pops and it's unique and it's different than everything else you've seen, it's almost like a lembing group of people. It's like, okay, now we've got to copy that, right, Like movable weights, I mean that was a company pop with movea weights. I mean, square drivers were a thing and then everybody had a square driver or a triangle driver. But it's so interesting to hear Marty say it's almost ahead of its time, and what the TSI was able to do for golfers because now you think about adjustability and that's in every basically every club you can you can purchase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's funny that he mentioned the the tie side driver because that for me, I can distinctly remember being on the range in high school and a buddy of mine, still a good buddy of mine from high school, he got the driver and he and we all like congregated around him as he's pulling the head cover off and like I swear that you could hear like angels singing from the heavens, and we're all just like wow, and it's like, hit it, hit it. We got to hear the sound, and so it is. It's it was one of those drivers that He's right, it was ahead of the time. And it's it's interesting because anytime something comes out that's different, everybody kind of goes eh, I don't know. And it is funny when when you start to see and again your success generally leads to interest not just from the pros but but from amateur golfers. And the second that you started to see that, drivers start to gain traction. You know, recreational golf first are clamoring for it that you know, the manufacturers out there, the non ping manufacturers are going, all right, what's going on with this driver? And that's when you you do, you start to see some of those technologies take hold, and before you know, everybody's doing it and there and everybody's claiming that they were the first. Yeah, pin Ping was definitely ahead of its time with that driver, but it was just such a distinct head. We were like, ah, this thing looks like a spaceship. It's it's huge, like you felt like you couldn't miss. But it was really it was the tech inside that that made it so unique.
Speaker 1: Marty, what was the difference in the tech side of that driver, because obviously that came out later. I know it had a different I think it had a different paint color as well to the to the top of the crown. What was the difference in the technology there, because that was, to me, was one of the first drivers that there was a secondary market, a secondary club coming out that kind of resemble the first one, yet it obviously had some some different personalities to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely on the driver. I mean, that was our first time doing a titanium driver with the tire side. That was the black one had that kind of a speckle, looked like kind of a bass boat, you know, on the top a little bit. And so the first time for us doing titanium driver it was it's very challenging and I think Shane I've talked about this. I think one of the biggest meta innovations in golf is the ability to cast titanium very thin. And now now in today's age, we're looking at, you know, adding other materials and getting real weight savings. But that first tire side the walls were really thick. For example, I think the crown thickness was like eighty thousands of an inch in which is, you know, four times thicker than we cast it now, right, you know, so we've been we've been able to four x the improvement and how thin we've been able to go with the wall. So when the TIA side tech came out, this was the silver top to it. Yeah, yea, yeah, that was thinning out wall thickness, improving the manufacturing, improving the casting, studying the durability, see where we could save some weight, and just like we're doing with the same physics principles, we are now improve the center of gravity increase the moment of inertia and pass that along.
Speaker 4: And then it was really fun to be able to to do what.
Speaker 2: I talked about in the Fairway Woods back then, which was all the multi material and that zirconium welded soul plate. That's one of the things about titanium. You can't really it's hard to join high density materials to it, so that's normally where we screw them together and things of that nature. But zirconium is actually an owl you can weld to titanium that's heavier density. So that was super innovative to bring that to the golf industry.
Speaker 1: All right, Marty, what else you got on the long list of great pain products?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Shane Man, there's so many. I mean, there's so many on the putter side of things. The answer putter, I think that one kind of maybe goes without saying, I mean, bring the cavity in the plumber's neck, I mean, just the classic shape to it. I think when I think about putters, I mean there's a lot of fun ones we've had specified putters, which was to be able to kind of build your own putter shape piece different things together. I think one that came to my mind though. That was really fun is when the Gnome putter came out and you know, Hunter Mayhon was winning the match play with this thing. We launched that also with our adjustable length telescoping shaft, and I think, again, when I think about putters, that one really stuck with me being able to pass along that adjustability. And when we launched that Noome, we had a long putter and folks were putting with a belly putter. Super important to be able to pass along that adjustable length to the end golfers. They could kind of dial in those those techniques themselves. That Gnome putter, also kind of talking about that family was aluminum and then it had this nano nickel alloy that coated it. And the demo of this was you could take like a ping pong ball cod it with this nano nickel material that the Gnome was coated with, and we did this. You could literally drive a car over it and it wouldn't crush. That's how strong this.
Speaker 1: Way crush wouldn't crush.
Speaker 4: The ping punk wouldn't crush it. So it was awesome.
Speaker 2: You could get You could take an aluminum alloy, which is normally pretty soft, your putter would get kind of dinged up. You know, it kind of has a distinct feel to it, and you could make it like the strongest material out there with this very thin uh nano nickel coating on it. So I don't know, there's a lot of tech plugged into that gnome with the adjustable length, and it was it was that's when Hunter was was dominating as well, So that's kind of again to tie it to a player and tour success was pretty fun.
Speaker 3: That was such a hot putter hundred.
Speaker 1: Hunter is a great person as well when you think about Ping. I mean when I think about Ping, you know, obviously his career maybe not as long as as some others that we think about, but I mean Hunter mayhem absolute monster's amit or player, collegiate player. And then when he burst on the scene. The thing I kind of remember about Hunter was that was the first jwall flat bill hat that a manufacturer made. Yeah, and I remember Ping sent me a couple. I mean, those bad boys were ironed flat, and I think they had like the under arm or u of a on the side, but they were full of Ping on the front. And I remember when they showed up. I got a lot aware on the on the on the Ping Hunter Mayhan.
Speaker 3: Ads, Yeah, definitely, the the hats that he had. It was kind of funny because that was around the time where where it was like, is Ping trying to trying to get with the young the young crowd here because it feels like they were trending that direction. But you know, I think about Mayhan's setup and I don't know if Marty was going to get to this one, I might be still in this thunder. But S fifty five yeah, I mean, those those irons. I think about an iron that has had staying power. I honestly cannot name you another iron out there that has been around that long on the PGA tour. I mean, you think about Bubba Watson. I mean, how many times has he changed those irons out? I mean very seldom since they were released in twenty thirteen. Matt Fitzpatrick wins the twenty twenty two USO YEP with with S fifty five in the bag still. I mean we're talking about almost a decade after they you know, a decade after they were released. It it is amazing to me how how much that iron has taken hold and guys just can't get it out of the bag. Blueprint ass Blueprint t great irons. But there's something about that S fifty five that that guys just love the look, they love the feel to a prosa like that. Once they attach themselves to something and they've won with it, it's really difficult to get it out of the bag, especially when it is that good. But yeah, S fifty five, I remember Mayhand using those and and hey, look they're still around now. So it's it is. It's one of those irons. It's just great, and it's it's always going to be great.
Speaker 2: Joy Well, I think when you when you see a product out there that you know, some some tour guys hang on to for a decade, I think that's a good sign that I think that can go on the iconic club's list, you know. I think even today we still have a handful of Answer Hybrids in play by some pretty big name players. So that's another one in the hybrid category that's done really well. And I think what's when we talk about S fifty five, we talked about Answer Hybrid, the question is, well, what are we doing to study those clubs and turn them into you know, learn from them and plug them into products that we're designing right now. The thing with the Answer hybrid was it didn't go left. It was a hybrid that you know, we couldn't go flat with it. But it was the club, the old the tour players and better players like because it was the anti left hybrid, had really good launch and spin characteristics, felt really good things of that nature. But we brought that into our new you know, our new hybrid designs that we have now. We talked a lot about when we launched the blueprint s how much we studied that S fifty five. We basically, you know, for all intentsive purpose, we did a copy paste of the Soule geometry and the lead edge in the balance of the turf interaction because that was like one of the biggest pieces of the secret sauce, that S fifty five iron. And why yeah, you had you had Louis, you got Hunter, you got Bubba, you got Mat Fitzpatrick, all these players, you know, crushing tournaments and winning majors and Ryder Cups with that iron.
Speaker 1: Marty, you mentioned the answer and one of my favorite kind of like dips because you know, I've been I've been dealing with you guys in terms of equipment and coming out to the proving grounds, probably for fifteen years, maybe longer. At this point, I mean when I was Jaywall, when I'm when I was blogging it like FanHouse, I think maybe I was doing some stuff with Ping. Definitely when I went to Yahoo and Beyond, I mean dogs chasing cars, Dogs and chase cars, And they might not have been sending me free stuff for those days, but uh, I might have got in when I got to Yahoo or Beyond. But Marty, remember when the answer, because you know, personalization has been such a big part of Ping's existence. When answer specifically, you could personalize the fairy woods with kind of colorways and pay and the grooves of the drivers. I went ben hands with that. By the way, I think I had red grooves on the driver and maybe pink grooves on the fairway wood. But I just remember that being so unique at the time. And Jaywall, we're talking about again. One company does something, and then a lot of companies kind of follow suit, you know. After I feel like it was inking the grooves on the fairway woods. Then you started to see some companies offer multiple colorways on the crowns of the drivers. I mean that became a big part of pushes for some OEMs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, customization nowadays is so prevalent across the entire industry. And again you mentioned it. It starts. It's gotta start with somebody. Somebody has to take a chance and see what the reaction is. But yeah, to see it start with being there. And now you know everybody has a custom option where you can go wild with the driver, all different colorways, whatever you want to do. But yeah, customization is now such an important part of just bring your personality out on the golf course.
Speaker 1: Jay, Well, how do you go about kind of customizing your setup? Because I can only imagine your world is box is showing up a decent amount at home and you kind of have to go through that and either figure out what lefty Buddy's going to get a new set of irons or whatever the case may be. What first t chapter in Dallas is loving the fact that they're the closest to Wall's house. How do you go about kind of your customization for your set because somebody could probably send you off the rack golf clubs, or they could send you exactly what you want and I'm assuming these days you get a lot more of exactly what you want versus the former.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I used to accept everything, anything and everything that was that was offered to me. I'm like, I'll take it. There was a point, probably like six or seven years ago where I was maybe at the lowest I'd ever been for golf. I could not hit a golf shot, and I had like four or five different setups because I'm like, I gotta test this stuff. I gotta test this stuff, and I was like, forget it, I gotta quit. So you know, nowadays, right it is. It is highly customized. You know, I think I spent probably half a day at the proving grounds working on working on the the I two thirty irons. You know, in my my setup, my build is so highly customized. I got an extra five grams of weight in the toe just simply because I'm looking for kind of as already mentioned with the hybrids, I'm looking for as a lefty an anti right golf club, I want everything center line left, and so we worked for a really long time to build a highly customized set of clubs. Now the difficult part with that is when I go and test something else. I will go out there and other OEMs will pick up my iron and they're like, God, this thing's like a barbell. It's really heavy. I meant midsized grips I got. I got a heavier head. I've gone a little bit lighter in the shafts. But you know, I've spent a lot of time on these golf clubs where it's I just don't want to switch very often. I want to stay with with what I like. So yeah, I'm not changing out stuff nearly as often as I used to, but I I am spending a lot more time just trying to dial in the products. Like if I just don't like something, I might try a different shaft, I might try and changel angle a little bit, just just little incremental things. But it is, it's tough. I think the great part for me selfishly is I've stopped getting a lot of product to test simply because we now have robotic testing, and so we're able to see what the robot's doing, learn from that, and then if there's something interesting, then I might like ask for a product. But yeah, my wife loves it. Because there aren't as many boxes there are still there's still a lot of boxes. Not as many boxes come into my house, But I think my golf games has been better for just simply because I'm not like adding a new driver every six months or a new set of irons like it's And I think golfers need to understand that, like you, once you find something you like, like, don't chase it if it's working, like stick with that setup. I think S fifty five is a perfect example, like tour pros like it. They've had success with it.
Speaker 4: Why change?
Speaker 3: And I think that's why you saw paying for so long with fifty five if I keep that in the lineup, like they didn't just say well this is a great arm, we got to find something else, Like look how long it took them to get from S fifty five to blueprint s and blueprint t Like that goes to show you that they're not just like chasing money and trying to go after a new product to get it in players bag so that they'll spend Like they have always been really good about being purposeful with the products they are releasing. They're not going to release something until you know already mentioned the tyas I you know that's that was ahead of its time. But Ping's done a really nice job of always being really thoughtful in the releases. And I look at adjustability with Ping. You know, they didn't chase everybody else when they were going to adjustable products. They were one of the last. It was simply because they had to find a benefit to introducing adjustability. So that's my long wited way of saying, like, Ping does a lot of things right. And I think when you get their clubs in the bag, that's why I've had a difficult time getting I two thirty's out, just simply because I spent a lot of time on it. It's a good product, and why change it's.
Speaker 1: Custom for you. I mean also, if somebody picks up the barbell club and they go, wow, this is heavy, You're like, look about Peloton numbers. Man, I'm pumping out like five on a thirty minute right Jaywall, by the way, like top three percent in the entire world of Peloton right now in terms of the numbers he can churn out, Marty, He's an animal.
Speaker 4: On the light is Jaywall's I two thirty said? I mean, it's it's very unique.
Speaker 2: It's a great example for kind of swing weight fitting and system mass fitting. Right, because you know, when you're fitting for you know, forarding off a miss with your irons, you can only go so far with lingele. You know, you don't want to go too far. Just make them flatter, make them flatter. It's not your only option in the toolbox.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: In his case, we're making him a little heavier, we're moving to CG a little bit, and we're dialing in the lingole. I think, all I think that's just a great example, Jay Will you can use that blueprint of that build for any future iron builds that come out, you know, I think that's super cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marty, what else you what else you have in terms of your list of kind of the icon clubs over the last you know, I think I feel like this is this is getting a bit more modern in which some of some of the more modern clubs on the list as of now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll throw another Putter one out there, which is the jas Putters. So these didn't really necessarily explode in the market, but super fun project to work on, very innovative. John Solheim, our owner, came down with this idea like I want to make the ultimate kind of Putter design and embodiment I want to have beautiful shapes and sizes, beautiful designs, and get the CG super low so we can optimize the role of the golf ball and get the inertia really really high. So these putters we made were fully machined, milled out of titanium, and then we brazed in tungsten weights and then milled all the different surfaces and finished them off. These JS putters. They felt amazing and they were super forgiving. Talk about robot testing, jawall. When we put these things on our putting robot and hit it across the face and measure the ball speed retention, the down line absolutely incredible with what we were able to do with those putters. So that's the JS putters. Super fun, very expensive to make, but it's that family in that line. We've done these JS lines named after our owner, John Allen Solheim, a few times and it's really fun for us. It's challenging for the engineers because normally we're kind of working within a box and then he'll come down and say, hey, spare it no expense, let's do the ultimate solution here, and it's actually quite challenging for an engineer to kind of go into a space without any boundaries, per se and innovate.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the thing ping is done with the putters and Jay well, I know you know this as well as anybody. They are not scared of trying new things with the putters. I mean there have been some very unique looking putters over the years, successful looking putters, different mallet styles. I mean you kind of go across the board over the last twenty five thirty years of ping putters and you're gonna see some styles that only exist at one place in the world, and that's out of Phoenix, Arizona.
Speaker 3: What about the ISO pure is so pure?
Speaker 4: Love it?
Speaker 3: Oh, I was on my ISO pure with with with the Ping logo right in the middle of that right your insert Yeah, I mean, who else, Nique, It's super unique, Like who else is doing stuff like that? Where you're getting the logo in the face of the putter like that? That is that is marketing at its finest. I mean, if you get one of those putters on a Sunday afternoon at a tour event and they zoom in they get the face of that putter, normally you're like just a it's a putter face. And then now you're seeing the ping logo looking back at and you're like, well, that's really cool. So yeah, they've done a lot of innovative things in the in the putter space for sure. I mean way more than just the answer putter, which I think is the first thing that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean the doc putter, which is named after John Suza here and uh you know he so he was a great player. He's in charge of our works department, done a lot of things for peeing over the years. I was just a moon valley the other day I saw his name on the on the list of winning a bunch of tournaments over there.
Speaker 4: Well, he was struggling with the putter.
Speaker 2: Let's call it the hev gbs with putting, and he's like, I'm gonna makes on.
Speaker 1: The podcast nobody's as their putting.
Speaker 4: Hopefully I got hey, I gotta respect Johnny. We'll call it the yips.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's the yips, maybe it's the hev g b'ss like, And then he had the idea, I'm gonna design a gigantic putter. So he got a block of illuminum and this thing's like literally like as big as a steering wheel. Super high moment of inertia, and he put it with it and it helped him a ton. And then we scaled it down and we made other different versions of it that were a little bit a little bit smaller, but uh, that was another great example.
Speaker 4: You know, all the way from the dock down to like the fetch, which that gets.
Speaker 2: The ball out of the hole, and you know we have west Wood fetching it out of the hole after he wanted tournament on the Deep World Tour.
Speaker 4: I think that's an iconic moment as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was riding down, Marty to that point. I was writing down some kind of iconic moments over the years from pro golfers using ping equipment and the two thousand and seven LPGA Championship Suzanne Peterson won that week with a DOC fifteen putter. She borrowed that putter out of one of the amateur player's bags that she played with on Tuesday. I mean, you talk about incredible moments, Marty. I'm always shocked at pro golfer's ability to tinker. You think about what we saw at the US Open this year with Bryson right goes into the final round driving the ball well changees driver heads fifteen minutes before the final round and goes on to win the US Open. I feel like, and Jay Wall said this earlier. You know, you have a golf club that works, stick with it or stick with something similar to it. You know, don't go searching for something if you have a club in the bag that it plays. I mean, pro golfers do this a lot. We see so many kind of older clubs in the bags of professional golfers across the board. But one of the best players in the world at the time in seven to pull a putter out of the bag of somebody she's playing with on Tuesday and then go win the tournament on Sunday. That doesn't happen. By the way, you win a major championship at Ping and it's not gold plated, it's solid gold. I don't think Ping was excited to see the bill on the DOC fifteen, considering that was gonna be a solid gold Ping putter in the vault for Suzanne Shane.
Speaker 2: I was gonna mention that man, that was that's a heavy Uh, that was a heavy one.
Speaker 1: So hopefully they sold a couple extra docks when when Suzanne won that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, in terms of the innovation innovation shade, I mean it's hard for me. It's it's hard for my brain to not stick to the driver category, you know. I think we talked about Tya SI. Then if you go into I would say, we have the you know that you know, to the the changing of the garden our eras was the our era here in the driver category was the G two driver that kind of put us on the map in terms of being beautiful shape, thin wall, cast titanium in some really good things. And then that turned into the I think my next one in the driver category, I would say, is the Rapture driver that was on my list. Yep, yes, because that's like again you go to Hunter May and you go to Anhelicebra, you go to Louis.
Speaker 3: Christy Kerr went in the US Open and seven along with Kurr both went.
Speaker 2: With Rapture, absolutely incredible. So that was kind of built off the base technology like the G two, G five drivers, and then adding the composite in. And again, I think so many of our innovations have been both designed but also manufacturing innovation. The isopure Putter's j Wall. I mean that was a you know, developing that manufacturing process that we have in house for that was incredible. The Rapture Driver we did, we did a manufacturing process there because the composite was bonded from the inside out. So the question is, well, how do you get inside the cavity to bond the carbon fiber to the crown. We actually insert literally a bladder inside the back of the head and then you pressurize it and expand it so you you and then you put it in, you cure it and that's what bonds kind of the the resin in the carbon fiber to the crown, and then you deflate it and pull this little baggy or this bladder out. Absolutely incredible manufacturing process. So in my mind, that Rapture Driver I talked about the tech a little bit, but also has some iconic players, iconic moments.
Speaker 1: Marty, do you know where the name came from for that club? I'm always interested in, like the such the origin of the names of these clubs. And I know, sometimes you've got to feel for it and sometimes maybe it was it was somebody else that came up with it. But do you have any idea of where Rapture came from Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the Solon family is a very very strong family of faith, and so John Solheim personally involved in the family in naming our products. And that was kind of like the you know, the the resurrection of the Driver family and you know, so it was really fun to kind of be part of that process. And and there's so much tech brought in there being able to weave those two things together nice.
Speaker 1: It's like a shout out revelations if you will, Ja Wall New Testament in the Ping podcast, you j Wall, you're going to mention something about the Rapture. You're just had it on your list of of kind of the iconic clubs over the last few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Marty nailed it. You know, the the Carbon It'd been around for a little while, but this was this was a first for Ping.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 3: The name that the fact that on Hell Caberra and Christy Kerr both win the two thousand and seven US opens the Women's and the Men's with this Driver in the bag. I think every manufacturer hopes for success for the products when they bring him out on tour, but nobody ever expects to win two US opens in the same year with with that driver in the bag, and I think that just goes to show you you know that the tech was there, but when you're able to marry that up with success on tour, I mean, that's what makes it an iconic product. And I think that's why if you ask golfers out there, like, what's one of those drivers? You know, not going way back, but what's one of those more recent ones. Rapture always is that one where I hear people. I still hear people talking about that driver. Hell, I've even seen it in the backs of some guys when I go play golf. So there's just something about that product that, again, it resonates with pros, it resonates with amateurs, and it's just one of those unique designs.
Speaker 1: Marty. I remember my mom called. My dad was having kind of a big birthday and my mom called years ago and said, I'm gonna get him some golf clubs. What should I get him? And he got the Rapture Drive. It was like, get the Rapture driver, get the Rapture three when it was really popular at the time, got both of them in the bag. I think they're still in the bag today, still plays them still loves them. Doesn't play as much golf as he used to play, but I guarantee I'm gonna see him over the weekend, and I bet they're in the bag and when we go out there and see it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing about the Rapture Driver that I think I should mention on the technology side is, you know, there's so much buzz out there of you know, using AI to do club design and that type of thing is we actually used modeling techniques and a kind of a form of AI, I guess early on, if you want to call it that, to figure out where to put those windows, because that Rapture Driver had these window like a lattice structure, these windows in the crown, and those windows they weren't just there for design styling.
Speaker 4: They were there to.
Speaker 2: Save weight in a way that didn't compromise the way that the crown moves structurally.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So this was through some modal analysis, which is a way that numerically in the computer, through modeling techniques, we can shake the driver and see what it's going to look like. Look for those low stress areas, take material right out of there.
Speaker 4: So super cool.
Speaker 2: And then the way we finished it was even cool Shane and Jwall where you could kind of see the titanium underneath. So we had to develop this special paint process where you could see the carbon fiber, you can see a little bit of the titanium crown. So I don't know, my brain just goes into all the blood, sweat and tears that went in all the way from the design innovation, to the manufacturing, to the finishing, to the paint to the green color, to the name and then boom the tour success.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Definitely iconic in our history.
Speaker 3: Was that early dragonfly Marty? Oh, absolutely, that's really cool. I don't do where that started.
Speaker 2: And you know what's fun is that we're still doing those kind of same things today, but with you know, more advanced tools, a deeper understanding, and you know, still still using that same fundamentals though in terms of our product development approach.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Jay, Well, when when people listen to this podcast, do you think they throw their clubs less after they listen to these podcasts? And here we already talk about inventing new paint for a driver. Head, You're like, this is serious business, guys. Let's not throw the expensive driver you just purchase I.
Speaker 3: Think more than anything. When you hear about, you know, listening to Marty talk about the how they're designing a product like Rapture and all the all the work and effort that it takes. Ties I with with, you know, bringing these different materials together, these different metals, and then hear people grow about you know, this driver is so expensive. But I think this just reinforces like there's a reason why it's expensive. It's because it takes so much time and effort to bring these products to life, to bring these different materials together. It's it's not cheap to do this. So yeah, maybe maybe people will throw the golf clubs yet less. I don't think so. But one can help.
Speaker 1: Just helicopter you never never never, you never want to hammer it. You always helicopter the throw. Then that thing's not going to break that way Marty.
Speaker 2: On the topic of paint, I mean, Jay, well, here's an example, Like I think we work on that Rapture driver and the first paint process we put on there was like three different coats and trying to get the tint in the clear coat right, and the paint is not you know, it's it's not weightless, right, So I mean I think at the time, I think the first engineering solution we had for that in the process engineering, the total paint weigh like five grams, and you can think about how much like for the design engineer if you say one gram you are celebrating, you know, are like it's painful, like oh this looks good, but it's too heavy. So we had to go re engineers the paint systems designed to try to strip a couple of grams out there, and I think I think the final paint finishing process weighed three grams and that was superb. So again we even there's there is even a lot of engineering and thought and pain that goes into the paint finishing process because going back to the ties I ties that tech, that paint was super thick. You could go on there and look at and feel the edge and those probably like, you know, six grams of paint on that. So we've been able to strip that down and four x are are the massive paint finishing processes nowadays.
Speaker 1: Marty hit us with a couple of more of the clubs you have on your list, and then I want to get everybody's kind of favorite paint club of all time. If you Will I'm going to hit you with a couple of iconic moments from pink clubs over the years, and then we'll jump out of here. I think we could probably do this for four hours and be fine, but I'm assume people probably have something else to do after, you know, we hit the hour mark talking about the iconic pink clubs. But Marty, if you've got a couple more on your list, hit us with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me throw it out there.
Speaker 2: I think we've talked a lot about clubs have done super good on tour and had great innovative stories to it. I'm gonna go in a little different directions. Still in the Rapture family, though, which is the Rapture irons. So not a tour iron. This was an innovative iron for the high handicap, the everyday golfer. And this iron was super innovative because it was a steel body with a titanium face and tungsten weights. And again I talked about, Hey, the hard part is a designer is being able to you know it might it sounds easy, Oh, just join titanium with steel and put it all together. Well, in practice that's very very hard to do. So this rapture iron, which was super popular, kind of an iconic club with the high handicapped golfer because it was super forgiving. Had a titanium face attached to a steel body with tungusten weights. And the way we joined that titanium face it was it was machined milled grooves. Then we placed it into the steel body and we did this process called swedging where we came down with these dies that had very specific angles to them, and we kind of smashed the steel over in a very methodical way and joined that titanium face to the steel body. We did it in a way where the joint was perfect and so that you know, the feel of the iron was amazing with this kind of thicker titanium face because you could make it thicker because the material is so lightweight, but still machine grews to it.
Speaker 4: Then we had a lot of.
Speaker 2: Extra weight to play with, so we put a huge amount of mass, like it was like forty grams of tungusten in the low toe to get the inertia up. That iron, I think has a grassroots kind of had a grassroots following with a high handicap golfer because it was so magical.
Speaker 4: From a forgiveness standpoint.
Speaker 1: Jaywall, when you get iron questions from readers, followers, whatever, what would you say the percentage mixes asking high handicap iron questions versus somebody that would, you know, maybe want to try out the Blueprint tea or something.
Speaker 3: I think it was probably like seventy percent like fifteen plus handicaps and thirty percent on on you know, I'd say like a single digit handicap. There's just I think because of of the industry that I work in and the time that I spent out on tour, I just I just think that everybody plays you know, compact, you know, Cavity back irons, and then you get all the questions and then you realize, like the average golfer out there is never going to break eighty and they're just trying to find something to have fun. Like that's at the end of the day, that's all they want to do. They want to go out on the golf or they want to lose lose less balls. They want to you know, get a couple more pars and have a good time with their buddies. And so that's where the questions usually come is just like hey, this is my big miss and I'm just looking to try and like mitigate that. So for sure, like higher handicappers like that's like that's my audience, whether whether I want to believe it or not. That's that's who I'm hearing from from more often than not. And again they just they want to have more fun and I get it.
Speaker 1: But that's that's golf's audience, Jonathan. I mean, I think that's something that you mentioned that we all forget a lot. I mean, Marty, I've mentioned this multiple times over the years. I caddied at St. Andrew's for five months. I had one player break eighty you know, I mean that. I mean that one player player and I was caddying twice a day almost, you know, five six days a week. I mean, it was a lot of golf looping and it opened my eyes to Jay Wall's point, I mean it kind of even opened my eyes at the time where I'm sitting there thinking everybody's able to shoot eighty five and you realize that most golfers will never break ninety in their in their life. And Jaywall nailed it. I mean, the idea of club manufacturing. At the end of the day, Marty is you're trying to do the best. You're trying to make it cost the least. You're trying to make it the most efficient for the player. You're also just trying to allow them to go have a little bit more fun. Pick up five yards with the driver, ten yards with the driver, you know, kind of kind of you know, shrink that distance in terms of how far off line they're hitting irons. I mean, that's the idea of all of this, is to make people have a little bit more fun with the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, one philosophy I've tried to bring to the team here is this kind of Barbell approach like, which is, if we can take care of the most elite ball striker on the PGA Tour, Victor Hobland, and then we could take care of the beginning golfer, the high handicap golfer. If we understand those two golfers, we have maximum empathy for what they're going through, what their needs are, we'll be able to take care of everyone else in between, because that's where most people live.
Speaker 1: By the way, I love empathy is the word you use. I think that is so great, It's so true. All right. I wanted to ask you, guys, you're your personal favorite pink club. Now, now, this isn't your first club, this isn't the thing the one you think was the best club ever invented. And I'll start us off. I've actually got mine right here. I have probably had this pin club in my bag the longest. It's not in my bag right now, but it dips in every now and again. If I'm really struggling. This is a G twenty. I'll show it on camera here. This is a G twenty fourwood that I had built. I mean, I mean, what is this, Marty twelve, fourteen years old? I mean, how old is the G twenty family. I'd never had a four wood before. I remember Bill built me this forward because I was talking about gapping with my bag. This was well before Marty had come up with the gapping system online that you can use to simplify the process. This was just simply me telling Bill my numbers and how far stuff was going, and he said, you should get involved in a four wood. So this G twenty four wood, Marty, I have had for a long time. I've gotten rid of a lot of clubs over the years. Jonathan knows that as well as anybody. This thing is not leaving. So that's mine, the G twenty four wood Marty, I'm interested in your answer there.
Speaker 2: Mine Shane is a G four to ten driver. G four to ten driver. For a number of reasons. It was, you know, I've worked on the G thirty drive. It's almost it was almost a G thirty because I loved that driver. I worked on that one in first one of turbulators, but the G four ten turbulators. Different shaping of turbulators is where we brought the CG shifter in.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: We talked about empathy, Shane. The motivation for me with that was to be able to bring all the tour players being able to custom hot melt their driver healing tow to dial in the left right. Let's bring that in, but do it in the pingway, our way, high inertia right around the perimeter.
Speaker 4: So we brought that in.
Speaker 2: We had really cool kind of shaping on the crown of the driver that was like the hood of a sports car. Also optimized through modal analysis kind of stiffening in certain regions. We changed the hozzle in there so we could get more adjustment with our trajectory tuning sleeve. We had great different model designs with the PLUS and the LST and the SFT did great on tour and selfishly, like Jaywall was saying earlier, that's the driver I used to accomplish my you know, kind of life stream was to make the cut in a major. So I used that driver when I made the cut at the PJA Championship twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Beth paid Black attach.
Speaker 1: Attach yourselves to the world the most. Like it's like the suit you were on your wedding. You're like, this is my favorite suit. This is the one I'm gonna be rocking. Jwall, do you have kind of a pink club that stood out over the years just as your favorite pink club, not necessarily the most popular one out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go back. I had a set of S fifty nine irons and this is going back to like when I was basically scratch probably plus any cap playing in college. Thankfully, my my parents had a membership at Tradition's Club when I went to A and M. And that was when that was when the Nickels courses kind of just getting off the ground, and there weren't a lot of people out there, weren't a lot of homes yet and so I kid you not, I would go out there every day and this set of irons was they just they.
Speaker 4: Fit me so well.
Speaker 3: And I don't think I could play them now because they're they're a bit more the bit too blady for my for my reference. But they had that stabilizing bar in the back. They they were such a great looking club, but they had they had a little bit more forgiveness than than the shaping. And I just remember just wearing those things out. It's like I don't even have them anymore because the grooves on them, especially like the nine iron a pitching gudge, were just completely shot. And I think that's like, that's the fun part, is like that that set of irons I had for a couple of years, and I just played so much golf I had. I just had a blast with them the great iron out on tour. But yeah, that for sure. S fifty nine and Big Surprice they turned into S fifty five and and you know those those are pretty decent irons. Like we talked about.
Speaker 1: Exactly, I think we know which one your true favorite is. I think I had the fifty five's Marty. You remember when you got them out of the works program and they'd have the W on the toe.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's the case anymore, but I remember I had the the W on the toe with my fifty fives that I'd have people that would randomly ask you, Sweat what that was or what that meant, and I was like, I don't worry about that. That that's for me to know and you to find out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: S fifty nine, that was a great That was our first blade. That was our first true blade iron. I'm obviously we made the I three I three plus blade, but nothing like that S fifty nine.
Speaker 4: And you know, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Again, going back to the naming, we were sitting around, Hey, what should we name this iron? Shoot fifty nine? That's the goal with that iron. So where it all started.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well, now it might VJ. Well, we see a lot more fifty nine these days than we have previously, especially when those irons were popping up. By the way, if you're listening to the podcast and you're enjoying this, if you will send in. You can tag ping on Twitter or Instagram or whatever, but just send in your favorite ping club of all time, and if you have a picture of it, or if you have it at home or whatever. We love to see it as well, and we'll share some of those as we kind of wind down. I'm just going to hit you guys on some iconic clubs over the years. Obviously Baba Masters twenty twelve. I think I'd argue this is the most iconic shot ever hit with the Pink Club. Is that fair to say, Marty?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, absolutely. I mean just Bubba, the club, the conditions, the shot. He's the only person probably on planet Earth that could pull that one off, and he did it when it mattered most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a ping tour w wedge for Bubba when he hit that to win the Masters in twenty twelve, same Masters, by the way, Louis double eagle, if you remember, that was a Ping S fifty six four iron I think that was two fifty six jwall, which as I get older, you're like four iron two fifty six. I mean, I know he landed it on the front, which is probably too two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was jagged, you know, Louis, I mean he was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He didn't miss the center often with those clubs, especially back in the early twenty two ends. But that was amazing. And then Sadie Lyle one iron eighty eight Masters. That was back in one iron days. But I believe he used a ping one iron when he won both his major championships. But those then, of course, the Suzanne story I told you with the Doc Putter earlier are some of the iconic ones I have. Marty, did I miss anything? Do you have anything that pops in your brain in terms of an iconic pink club used in a big moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'll throw I'll throw it out there. That might be a little non consensus, but you know in a major it went to win a major. In a US Open, I know because I've played in one, I'm like, if you hit the fairway, you can you know You're like, okay, I'm gonna make a par Yeah. Right, So I'm going to say, on hell, Cabrera raptured driver Tiger staring down his neck and he just crushes it right down eighteen and Oakmont guarantees the victory.
Speaker 1: I mean he bombed that one bombing You mean that that was like, I think it might have been the longest t shot of the day on eighteen and Cabrera hit the fairway. Then if you remember Tiger poses on his and it kind of kept going right, got in the in the first cut, kind of up against that second cut, and it was not a great lie. He had a really good shot there, nearly made birdie. But yeah, I think that's a great call on the on the Cabrera Raptors driver there at eighteen, because, like you said, one of the hardest closing holes in golf. I think you could go through Oakmont's eighteen and say that's the hardest first, and hardest second, and hardest third hole, but definitely one of the hardest closing holes.
Speaker 3: Is We're forgetting one boys nineteen eighty six PGA Championship bopped play. Yeah, falling out I too, great point, Such a great moment with him jumping with it with his arms up in the air. You can't see my arms right now with the right but you know, it's just it's one of those iconic moments. Beat Norman. I mean, yeah, that's and we haven't really really talked about that wedge. I mean that that's another product that's been copied by a lot of other manufacturers over the years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a great point.
Speaker 2: You got the hold out from Bob Tway, you got the Zinger Azinger the in memorial with the Eye two. I mean, how many times is an io lob wedge hold out out of a bunker to win a tournament?
Speaker 4: Is the question.
Speaker 3: We could spend it now talking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and mart and Marty they're back. I mean, I think that's one of the coolest part of the New Wedges is you can go back in time in a way and play kind of one of the more iconic ping clubs that existed.
Speaker 4: Totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a theme across all these clubs we've talked about, is that we go we as the designers, we go study these like what are the important attributes about all these and we plug those right into our latest and greatest designs and design theories.
Speaker 1: Jay Wall, I've been really really considering starting a golf tour called nineteen ninety six Golf Tour, and you just basically have to only play equipment that was built around nineteen ninety six. I feel like this podcast now makes me more than ever want to go like put together a bag of high school Shane Bacon club. You should know because of that, it just sounds like so much fun, Like Hickories or Hickories and everybody enjoys maybe going out and doing that here and there. I want to play the clubs that we've talked about, the nighties era that I played when I was in high school. This has been great. Anything else, guys before we sign off, because I have a feeling we might have to do this again in the coming years, because we could probably go down and go down kind of the the memory of all the iconic clubs over the years and bring on some different voices to touch on it. But Martin, anything else before we sign off?
Speaker 2: No, I think next time, Jaywall, this would be fun. We should do We should do this kind of focused around shafts and grips. I think that'd be super fun, just throwing that out there.
Speaker 3: Boys, there's a very iconic grip that we didn't mention, used by a guy that's won fifteen majors.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a great point. You know what, maybe one of the more why was someone using this thing in the history of golf? And uh, I feel like the story is maybe worth another podcast, Jay Wall, what do you got coming up? I mean, obviously this is going to air a little bit after we record, but I know you're always kind of focused on the equipment world and what you're doing in that. I mean, you're always venturing out talking to players and such. Just pay people pay attention to the podcast and and go to golf dot com and check out the writing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. This is actually my favorite time of the year because I'm not crazy busy, but it is. It's kind of the calm before the storm as we ramp up for our yearly club test later in the year and start testing new product and getting the robot fired up. So yeah, it's just check out golf dot com. We'll have a lot of cool content. And just had so much fun just being on this podcast. Was this was a lot of fun to kind of go back down memory lane and talk about a lot of clubs that I remember, clubs that I use. It's all fun to do that.
Speaker 1: It's the best. Like I said, I mean, you can go around and throw out random athletes names if you want, and you can do that if you're a basketball fan or a football fan. For US golfers, it's do you remember the Rapture driver? The guys like, yeah, I had the three would I mean, that's just like one of the great parts of being a golfer and nerding out on equipment, so Jaywall really appreciate it. Man, been a buddy of mine for a long long time in this industry. We will never remember the restaurant that we eat at in Palm Springs, but we will forever and remember the moment that we had enjoying that. And Marty will catch back up very very soon. Congrats on all the success lately on the golf course. Man, it's been fun to watch jwallgolf dot com fully Equipped podcast. Make sure you subscribe if you're not already. This is the Ping Proven Grounds podcast.