Speaker 1: Welcome to the Insiders Summer Friday edition. And you know what that means. Only half a show today, but full show still. Really, guys don't know what summer Fridays means. Judy Batista joining me, Mike Garatfall. Yes, we're going to do a full show and dig into all the news throughout the league. Today. There was even some news on a summer Friday here in the NFL, and it was Michael Pennix, the number eight overall pick, agreeing to terms on a four year rookie deal twenty two point eight million dollars according to our guy rap sheet. Right there, we are under ten first round picks yet to sign, waiting on Caleb Williams at number one, But here is number eight, Michael Pennix, the surprise pick too many, including Kirk Cousins and his agent if you remember back the draft night, the way that this went down, Judy. So this situation will see how it plays out, but we know right now for sure Michael Pennix will be there day one of training camp under contract for the next four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not beat around the bush here. This sets up the best drama in the NFL going into training camp I know we're going to have Russell Wilson and Justin Fields, but this is such an.
Speaker 3: Unusual, awkward situation.
Speaker 2: And our buddy Adam Rank actually had this in his look at the Falcons.
Speaker 3: I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: He said Cousins would be the first quarterback since at least two thousand to tear his achilles and start Week one. Now, obviously Aaron Rodgers might be doing that too, but Aaron Rodgers got hurt like five minutes into the season. Kirk Cousins played half the season before he suffered this serious injury. I just wonder what happens if Kirk Cousins gets out there this season and doesn't look good and isn't functioning properly. Obviously they are married to Kirk Cousins because of the contract, but it just the presence of Pennick sets up a referendum on Kirk Cousins every week.
Speaker 1: It does Judy, and they knew that, and they felt confident that Cousins would be able to handle that. On the other side of this, Michael Pennock's coming in. There's really not much he can do to say, Hey, I'm sorry that they drafted me. He wasn't his fault. He wasn't choosing exactly where he wanted to go. So so far this spring, from my understanding, they are pleased with the way that he has handled things. They see his personality coming through the way he goes about his business and starting to assert himself. So I know the Falcons are pleased with what they saw from that or from Penix on that front so far in the spring. Again, once we get in the training camp, then you're going to get into games, the preseason games and see how he really handles himself. And he you know, you talk about Cousins not playing well in the season, what happens If Penix plays well in the preseason, that'll only add a little bit of fuel to that fire that you are talking about. So, Michael Pennix under contract. Ricky Piersall, the forty nine ers wide receiver, also agreeing to terms today, team announcing it is a four year contract. My understanding is it is twelve and a half million on the four years on that deal. And I know you're gonna say, you know, potentially Brandon Ayuk and all that stuff, And my understanding was the Niners went into this draft saying there are only a couple of guys that come in right away and are a replacement for Brandon Ayuk. It's not like they're looking at Pearsol to be that guy, but they do like his skill set and they do think that it fits, and they do think potentially he's being able to do some of the stuff that Deebo Samuel does in their offense. So Ricky pearsall officially under contract, he will be ready to go for the start of training camp. Here is Tankdell along with c. J. Stroud at Stroud's football camp. Those two connected a bunch in their rookie seasons, and the Texans expected they will connect a bunch more moving forward. Tank Dell probably looking up at to and saying, hey, I used to watch you growing up. Terrell Owens in attendance at Stroud's football camp, he had some thoughts on the Texans and what to expect this upcoming season.
Speaker 4: This guy's learning for this guy obviously coming in at the rookie ready kind of establishing him living up to the expectations. And it's only, like I said, it's only going to get better the expectations for obviously him being in Houston. The team goals offtly the opposite the goals to winnister fol Championship. So obviously with this guy, lay surround him the right one with the right weapons. Obviously you have a great coach and Niko Ryans defensively.
Speaker 1: Thank hey, it's a lot to.
Speaker 4: Be said for those guys too, and what they did last year, so again that you got to put all that stuff together.
Speaker 1: Come on in, Jane Slater. One of our reporters joining us today, Omar Ruiz as well. I forgot the teas the reporters that are going to be joining us throughout the show off the top too busy making a stupid summer Friday joke. Jane. Now you're in to talk about the Texans with us and the addition of Stefan Diggs to c J. Strouds arsenal of weapons that he can throw to and how he is going to help this team.
Speaker 5: I always love when you anchor because it just you just keep it real for us, Mike Gee, you know, keep it light.
Speaker 1: On a Friday, shake the car on the road.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 5: And I love when I get to I love when I get to talk about other teams guys, because I know ninety nine percent of the time I'm on this network talking about the Cowboys, but I think the Texans are really exciting and a fun team to keep an eye on, and most of that having to do with this offense. I mean, you have toill Owen's right there talking about this guy is a limit for CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 5: Now go ahead an add to that, Stefan Diggs. You've got a guy that's, you know, in his four Pro Bowls, thirty years old, after stops in Minnesota and Buffalo. Just to hear Diggs tell it, in Houston lately it's been a quote breadth of fresh air. He went on to say that you thrive in a space being around those that genuinely care about you and want to see you win. His addition then adds him to a room that already has Nico Collins, you signed the three year extension in Tank Dell and talking to a few folks the other day, they had this to say about Diggs. He's quote coachable, a natural, savvy veteran who creates separation.
Speaker 7: He showed that a lot in this spring. Another told me he works hard, good.
Speaker 5: Attitude, competes, doesn't say much on the field, just works and has been good behind the scenes. I mean, when you guys consider this, this is a offense, it was right thirteenth and scoring last year. We already saw what Bobby Slope was doing with this offense. Now you've got, obviously this defense that I thought was dynamic last year. I think it's not going to be long before we start talking about another team in Texas. Although as we know, the star is very, very bright when it comes to Dallas Cowboys and media.
Speaker 2: Coverage almost blinding, actually, Jane, but I would say this about the Digs and Texans marriage, it's nearly perfect because Diggs excels at things that CJ. Stroud excels that. He is really good versus zone defenses, so is CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 2: He is really good in the vertical passing game, and so were the Texans last year. And finally, Stefan Diggs is really really productive in the red zone. And that for all of the success that Stroud and the Texans had last year, that was an area where they were a little bit shaky, where they could improve in the red zone. So now you have this experienced red zone weapon. Look, if all of their receivers are healthy at the same time, this is arguably the best wide receiver room in the entire NFL.
Speaker 3: They're going for it, right, They've got.
Speaker 2: A quarterback on the rookie contract, They've put all these pieces around him. They were the surprise last year. They're not going to catch many opponents by surprise this year. This is a team to be watched. It's clearly a team on the ruse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are really some excuse me, some real studs at the position. Nico Collins who just got himself a big contract this offseason, along with Stefan Diggs and Tank dew and Dell. From the time he was in college, what he did was he knew how to find open space and his ability to do that in the NFL. He hit the ground running on that. So if you've got Stefan Diggs added to the mix and you've got attention from defenses toward him, that should only create even more space for Dell to operate or perhaps even vice versa. So this is something that Owens is excited for. We are all excited to see what the Texans are going to bring in your right, Judy, if they stay healthy, stay healthy. I like when teams stay healthy. I like what we when we get to see things play out that we were talking about in June. Kind of like this actually play out into the season. Thank you, Judy and Jane, you're both coming back no summer Fridays. Maybe you missed the top of the show. Barry Sanders, a legend in the NFL and a Detroit Lions legend, had this announcement that just came across earlier today. Over Father's Day weekend, I experienced a health scare related to my heart. Was unexpected and served as a reminder the importance is staying vigilant about our physical well being even when we're feeling fine. I'm grateful to the amazing doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals for providing me with the needed care. My family and I are thankful for your prayers and support during this time. Per my doctor's recommendation, I am taking this opportunity to prioritize my health and well being. I appreciate your understanding and continued support. Yes, Barry, we send you here at NFL Network and all of the NFL fans watch, including the Lions who put this out right here. Get well soon, Barry. Yes, we wish you the best there, and we thank you for the message about being viligant, vigilant. Excuse me about your health again, even when you are feeling fine, and we hope that you are feeling fine moving forward. A legendary player and just a gem of a human being, Barry Sanders, we wish you well moving forward. Coming up next on The Insiders, we are going to talk to Rams defensive back Quinton Lake, a guy who was really emerging in, a guy that the Rams are excited about and Sean McVay is excited about. It's a changing defense and this is a guy that really could be front and center for them this upcoming season. Excited to talk to him. Next on The Insiders, Welcome back to the Insiders. Yes, that's Quinton Lake saying specialty and special plays special players. Feels good to be back. That's from when he and Ernest Jones there arrived for the start of off season workouts for the Rams, a season that's got many of them feeling extremely optimistic. To let me bring in Quinton right now, the defensive back for the Rams. We saw more playing time last year, and I believe he's going to see even more playing time in that secondary in twenty twenty four. Quinton joining us from a Los Angeles the NFL Network studios out there. Quinton, how did your off season, or at least the spring part of the program treat you guys?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the spring part of the offseason was great. You know, it's always fun getting back into the building with your guys and seeing the coaches and the staff and you know, everybody around. But you know, we have a really good team. Everybody's excited about this new upcoming season. So I can't wait to bring the momentum that we actually had in the spring, you know, to training cambin eventually to the season.
Speaker 2: Your own particular career sort of took off last year and PFF calls you one of their big breakout candidates for twenty twenty four. So what clicked in your mind? What clicked last season and where are you going from there?
Speaker 8: I think the biggest thing for me was just being able to be versatile. I started off at dime linebacker early in the season and then ended up moving to nickelback. So I always credit myself as being a versatile player, and that's one of the biggest things of why I was able to elevate, you know, eventually later in the season and get that playing time that you guys saw. But being able to understand a playbook and being able to play multiple positions is what kind of elevated me to be able to have the playing time that you guys saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're talking about multiple positions. You saw a lot of time in the slot. You're expecting to play a little more safety spot or safety time as well this year. I mean, Chris Shula, the defensive coordinator out there, certainly thinks highly of you, and Sean McVay talked about you as a versatile piece and a key piece of that defense.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, you know, we'll see. We'll see when you know the time comes in training camp. Obviously, I've had my fair share of snaps at safety, at nickel in a bunch of different positions. But Chris rulis our defensive coordinator, and Sean McVay, who is I think one of the best coaches, if not the best coach in the NFL, have really leaned on me this offseason to kind of lead that room. And you know, that's something that you know, I want to do. I want to be that have that leadership role, have that vocal leadership in the back end, you know, to help our team win games. But those are two amazing coaches that have really helped me elevate my game. And I'm just excited to you know, obviously work with them and you know, share the experience and the journey that you know they envision and that I envisioned for myself.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of new faces on that defense, obviously, the new defensive coordinator. You got two rookies that were drafted high for the defensive line, some veterans in the defensive backfield, and of course the big one is who's not there Aaron Donald? What does it mean when a defense loses a player like that, a player and a leader like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sometimes you talk about, you know, are you to replace him? And as we know, you can't place that. You can't replace Aaron Donald. Aaron Donald is you know, the greatest defensive player that we have seen, you know, and he, you know, charm Yvay talked about it. He said he was full and Les Sneed did a great job of finding guys to you know, fit our scheme, our new defensive scheme. But Aaron Donald did a great job of making sure that the guys that were behind him and the guys that were with him are ready. You know, guys like Kobe Turner, guys like Bobby Brown, Byron Young, you know, the young players, young up and coming talented players already. And obviously, like I said, Les Sneed and his staff did a great job of, you know, bringing in new players to kind of help, you know, up upgrade and uplift our scheme. You know, guys like Jared Verse, which is our first round pick, and Branden Fisk, our second round pick. These are guys that you know, love the game, fit our culture, and I'm excited to see what they're going to do. Obviously seeing them in OTAs and obviously in mandatory minycan these guys, they're they're outstanding players and it should be really exciting to you know, for them to show the fans and he in us as players what they can do with this upcoming this upcoming season.
Speaker 1: Brenton, We spoke earlier in the show about Sean McVay talking about the youth on this roster and it's got him excited and said it feels like to him year one again. Have you seen the way that he has responded this year? I mean, I know he's had a couple of years to get this thing moving in the right direction and feel good about his own situation. Can you see him being rejuvenated right now?
Speaker 3: Oh, I see it all.
Speaker 1: I see it every day.
Speaker 8: I see it every day, especially during OTAs in practice too. You know, obviously he's a young coach that you know, stays active and stuff like that. But you know, from the defensive field, we see him running with the receivers during practice. You know, if it's pat and go, he's running a go route himself. And he even throws you know, he throws the DB's passes, you know, when we're doing our individual drills. So having a coach like that, having a coach that's so invested and passionate and wants to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: You know, as players, we feed off that.
Speaker 8: You know, that's that's something that players want to see in their coaches them be active and even.
Speaker 3: More so when we're in the room now, when we're in the film room.
Speaker 8: He's a guy that's still learning the game too, about how he can attack defenses, what we as a defense can do better in terms of our adjustments. So having a coach that's not only really the leader of the program, but also a student of the game himself is something that we feed off as players.
Speaker 3: All right, Quentin, I got.
Speaker 2: To ask you about the broadcast boot camp that you went through, which is probably obvious to everybody watching this interview that you went through a broadcast boot camp because you're coming for everybody's job already. But afterwards you tweeted that media is no joke. What do you mean by that and what you get out of that bootcamp?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a lot of things that go into it. You know, you don't necessarily see what you know, you guys have to do and what the rest of the whether it's a broadcast or whether.
Speaker 1: It's an analyst, have to do.
Speaker 8: There's so much preparation that goes into it, and the broadcast boot camp was one of the most amazing experiences and opportunities that had to do. Obviously, we're here, you know, at the studio going through a series of different you know, events, whether it was radio analysts analytics, whether it was on camera TV commentary, or whether it was just doing stuff like this in the studio. There's a lot that goes into it, and it was so fun. You know, this is something that I wanted to do because I feel like I have a good knowledge of the game and I can you know, explain that knowledge in in a great way and teach people that don't really necessarily know it in a way that makes them learn. But yeah, the broadcast bouquet, it was hard. It was it was It was hard in a good way. It challenged you because as a player, you think, you know, I can do this, I can go in and do this, but you have to do your homework, you have to take notes, you have to you know, be able to listen and kind of humble yourself a little bit because this is a new environment, especially for me, and I was, you know, coming out of that. Obviously I had an experience that was great, but it also made me learn that, you know, if I want to do this, you have to really work hard because this is not only is it a competitive feel, but it is a field that you know, if you don't work hard and you don't take home, do your homework and take notes, you know, it's tough.
Speaker 1: It is tough. We appreciate you acknowledging how difficult this job can be for U.
Speaker 8: Credit credit to you guys what you guys do, because it is no sure.
Speaker 1: There's a however, coming here, it's not making it look so damn easy. No, no, no, that's the thing.
Speaker 8: You know, I wish I wish I was in the you know, I don't know if you guys are at home, but that's pretty awesome to you know, be at home and do this. There's a there's a ton of cameras that I should you know, you might get lost in the cameras and all the lights in the studio, but no credit to you guys and what you guys do. It's fantastic and you know it's honestly, it's really impressive.
Speaker 1: I'll spare you the visual rocking the shorts right, you know that's awesome. That's awesome, Quentin Lake. We appreciate your time. Man, you're doing great work. We look forward to working with you one day. In the meantime. Best of luck on your NFL career, Best of luck for you and the Rams in twenty twenty four. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 8: This was awesome.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nil on it still working. He didn't take our job yet, didn't take Wow. We'll be back for at least one more segment. How about that. We'll talk some NFC South We've got an up and coming division here. Who could be at the top once everything shakes out. We'll discuss it after this on the inside. The Atlanta Falcon select Michael Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Why do you think we flew across the coachy not to make you a Falcon bro?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: The New Orleans Saints select Totally s whoaga tackle Oregon State. He's like those things at the airport. He's an a PM, automated people mover. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Graham Barton, centered.
Speaker 10: Duke, really strong hands, outstanding athlete.
Speaker 1: The Carolina Panthers select Xavier Legan, wide receiver, South Carolina. That's what happened on Draft night in the NFC South. The additions there there were much more via free agency and whatnot. Here's two per team, but again, so much more went into the NFC stuff. Feels like there was a ton of movement for all four of these teams. So let's bring in our friend Omar Ruiz to join Judy Batista, Jane Slater, and myself, Mike Garofalo. Omar. Let's start with the Carolina Panthers, who really did some work on both lines. Offensive line defensive line tried to add to those spots via free agency. Bryce Young entering a second season, helping him up front. Yeah, that's pretty smart because he didn't have that help in his rookie season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And by all accounts, Bryce Young looking much more comfortable in year two as he continues to evolve as a leader, both on the field and in the locker room. I spoke with Panthers head coach Dave Canalis recently, who told me that Bryce Young has been impressive the way he's picked up the offense, the rhythm and the timing of it. How accurate he is with the football. Of course, hitting his spot, but he's able to move that spot depending on the style and the speed of the specific receivers. He said he appreciates his hard work and consistency. As for the offense that Canalis is installing for Bryce Young and company, it is West Coast style, the concepts that we've seen from the McVeigh and Shanahan with more aggressive vertical routes attached to that offense. You have the the zone read options that Russell Wilson ran when Dave Canalis was with him in Seattle. He said the team is picking it up because there is familiarity there with Thomas Brown being the offensive coordinator last year obviously came from the Los Angeles Rams before that working under Sean McVay. Canalis developed his offense in part working with Shane Waldron when they were in Seattle together, and Waldron had come from the LA Rams. So because of that, even though Canalis said they're building the offense and installing it from the ground up, there is familiarity for the players there, and he said they're picking it up well as a head into training camp here next month.
Speaker 2: I feel like, to be fair to Bryce Young, we should just wipe the slate clean and almost act as if this is his rookie season, not last year. Last year was such a mess. There too many voices in his ear, not enough help. He got beaten up. He was the second most sacked quarterback in the NFL, behind only Sam Howell. Didn't really have any weapons. I feel like nobody could have could have been successful in the Panthers organization last.
Speaker 3: Year, and so this is a fresh start up.
Speaker 2: Dave Canals, I feel like, is the perfect choice now to bring Brys Young long. First of all, his demeanor is so positive and upbeat and encouraging. But second of all, he's got a track record of working with quarterbacks who sort of need.
Speaker 3: To be rebuilt.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's crazy to say that Bryce Young needs to be rebuilt in only his second season, but Dave Canal has had great success with Gino Smith and of course with Baker in Tampa, and so he knows how to handle quarterback who've been beaten up a little bit and maybe who need their confidence restored. And of course it doesn't hurt that they've really upgraded the offensive line and upgraded the weapons. I feel like this is a fresh start and the fresh start that Bryce Young really needs.
Speaker 1: As you were talking about his rookie season and how much went into it that really kind of messed with his head a little bit. I'm thinking Dave Canalis is the perfect guy for him, and then you said Dave Canalos is the perfect guye for him, Judy, So I'm right there with you on this one with regard to getting him on track in year two. Jane, Earlier this week, we had Jamal Williams, the Saints running back, on and we asked him about the new offensive coordinator, Clint Kubiak, and he said Ooo. I did a bunch of words. He was talking so fast. I only caught half of them. But I know he's excited because when he starts talking like that and he's going, he's going, he's going, he's excited. I know the Saints are excited. The offensive players down there all excited about Clint Kubiak. Why is that? What's this offense going to look like with Kubiak?
Speaker 5: I love Jamal Williams, I love the Saints. There's such a fun team to cover. They have such a great energy within their locker room. But there is a real excitement about Clint Kubiak. You know, remember last year there was a lot of questions about Dennis Allen and whether he was the guy for the job moving forward. The Saints ultimately decided they were going to hang with them, but they went out and got Clink Kubiak, a guy that has been around the league, working with guys like Kirk Cousins in Minnesota. Remember that big year with case Keenum in Denver. He was the forty nine ers passing a specialist. Last season, they were second in total offense during the regular season, and I reached out to Cam Jordan, I said, what were you seeing on the other side, And he said, look, you've seen the weapons he utilized with the Niners. He's got weapons there like you know the guys like Kittle. You know, he's got McCaffrey, Goes. But we've got ak Tasim, alve A, Rashid. We may have more playmakers, which would be an interesting debate.
Speaker 7: Don't know if I fully agree with.
Speaker 5: That, guys, but the point he's saying is they're seeing a lot there.
Speaker 7: Now a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Have skimmed over this one thing that Clint Kubiak said during one of his camp pressers, and I made some calls this afternoon about it.
Speaker 7: Talked about an emphasis on meeting as a.
Speaker 5: Larger group as opposed to these individual meetings. Now some of these individual meetings are still happening, but his philosophy is that they really need one voice. They all need to get on the same page because they've got so many staff members. And so I thought that was really really interesting, And talking to one coach, he said that he considers Kubiak to be a stud already, that this guy has really really impressed Dennis Allen was talking about this offense, and you know, he's obviously got a lot to do with the defense. He says, he's really got defense on their toes. You know, guys like Tomrio Davis that he referenced, who's been in New Orleans for such a long time. It can't just come in here and expect the same old things.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 5: They're seeing a lot of motion shifts, a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 7: So something to be excited about.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: The two things to keep an eye on as we head into camp Alvin Kamara. You know, he showed up to walk throughs and then he left, so we'll see if he makes it there in Irvine when they finally move camp out to California. And thank god, guys, when I go down to New Orleans and Metay and cover training camp, it is a bruiser. Dennis Allen talking a little bit about that, saying, you know what the humidity does to their bodies. This is really going to give them a good opportunity. They haven't been away from Mettery in the last couple of years, so good opportunity sort of to reboot this thing and get the guys all in one hotel, one page. The other bummer that happened for them, Juwan Johnson to tight end injured his foot in practice, Dennis Allen calling it a non event. He had surgery this week. That's unfortunate. So we'll see what they do there at the tight end position and of course at the running back position.
Speaker 7: But really interesting to see how this whole thing comes together.
Speaker 1: Nothing new on the Alvin Kamara front. From my understanding, this is something that is going to be right up against the start of training camp. We're gonna have to check back in to see if something gets done there. It's not like his mini camp walk out spurred talks by any stretch. So that's one thing. Number Two. I heard you say you made some calls today, Jane, on a summer Friday to people in the NFL. Did they call you back? Because nobody's call like nobody is working, and I tried to get into ut nobody's calling back.
Speaker 7: I try to reach out and get a hold of car.
Speaker 5: No luck Kubiak was in Disneyland or Disney World with the family, all of them, or you know, Look, the NFL season is getting.
Speaker 7: Longer and longer, as you all know. I'll be going on vacation here in about a week and a half. You got to get it in when you can fit it in so respect.
Speaker 3: To all of them.
Speaker 7: But we'll of course have plenty of.
Speaker 5: Booze nuggets on the insiders whence training camp really gets underway.
Speaker 1: At least you got an explanation for why some people weren't getting back to you. I got just a bunch of blue texts on the right side here, no great, Where is everybody? We'll teck back is around? Thank you, Thank you, Jane Slayer, Judy Vatisa, and Omar Ruiz. I think you're all coming back, or maybe Jane's not. James take the rest of the night off. Marvin Harrison. The addition to the Cardinals, one that they expect to bear fruit immediately and one that they were excited about on draft night.
Speaker 6: Mormon, Hey, how are you going? Hey man, this is Monty at the Cardinals.
Speaker 8: How are you he doing great?
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 6: How's the how's the night going there?
Speaker 1: Pretty good?
Speaker 8: Pretty good?
Speaker 1: A lot better.
Speaker 6: Now it's gonna get a lot better. We're gonna put your name in right now. Okay. I know you're surrounded by family and friends, enjoyed this moment with them. A lot of people have helped you get to where you are and it's just beginning.
Speaker 9: All right, Yes, sir, thank you very much.
Speaker 8: I appreciate.
Speaker 6: Here we go, let's go listen to me now, okay, it's been you man. We're excited to bring you here. You got three jobs, all right, get over, get over, catch the ball, and help us win a lot of games.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I got you.
Speaker 6: I got you.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check out the Insiders podcast Monday through Friday. Scan the QR code that you see right there on your screen, or subscribe and listen to the Insiders and the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever the finest podcasts are downloaded. The Cardinals getting excited to see what their offense is going to be is going to look like. There is Kyler Murray on the left side. There is Marvin Harrison on the right side, both holding a football. The football will travel from the one on the left to the one on the right plenty this season if the Cardinals plan comes to fruition. That plan Judipatista and Omar Ruiz was to draft Marvin Harrison Junior and just let them rip. Kyler recently said that Marvin Harrison will take their offense to the next level. Omar, what kind of level?
Speaker 10: We talking about here, Well, if you remember in the second half of the season last year when Kyler came back, this was one of the top performing offenses in the entire NFL, and so so much focus on Marvin Harrison Junior, what he might add to this offense here this spring, the explosiveness here in year two of Drew Petsing's offense. But the feeling inside the building is that Kyler Murray himself he could elevate to a level that we haven't seen him play yet in the NFL. And granted, he's a playoff performer, a two time Pro Bowler, and Offensive Rookie of the Year previously, and he says he's feeling as good as he has since he's been in the NFL. He compared to how good and confident he's feeling right now as to when he won the Heisman at Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: So they're hoping that he can elevate.
Speaker 10: Jonathan Gannon saying that Kyler Murray's competitiveness, his will to win is exactly what you want in a franchise quarterback. That has been on display all off season in the OTAs and in the mini camp. As far as running the offense, Gannon says that Murray has full command of it, and he said that he has all the answers to the pressures. He says he almost looks bored back there, recognizing what the defenses are giving them. He's able to find that completion. And he said it's very similar to quarterbacks he previously worked with in Philip Rivers and Andrew Luck and Jalen Hurts. But he said the key for Kyler Murray now is to do that consistently. And then there's the leadership component that Murray has elevated here in this offseason. He's formed chemistry with his receivers, working with them on the weekends in between their workout at OTA's at the facility and during mini camp, and he even took some of his teammates to Oklahoma City for a Thunder game during the playoffs and the NBA so forming that bonding with the team on and off the field. And interesting to hear all of this given that early in Murray's career all the negative things that were said about him in terms of leadership and work ethic and everything been a complete opposite since Jonathan Gannon and many Austin for it, have taken over.
Speaker 2: You know, just listening to what you were saying, Omar, it made me think. And I'm not comparing Marvin Harrison to Stephan Diggs and I'm not comparing Kyler Murray to Josh Allen, but it is the sort of thing that happened in Buffalo when they got Stephan Diggs and then you really saw Josh Allen take off and become the quarterback that he is now. And you do wonder. I mean, Kyler Murray has been good, and he's had good receivers before, but Marvin Harrison Junior is a different level of receiver, and you do wonder if that's going to help Kyler Murray's career reach another level. Because Marvin Harrison can do everything. He can win one on one battles, he can win at every level of the field. He is obviously going to draw an awful lot of attention from defenses to open up other targets for Kyler Murray.
Speaker 3: And I think that.
Speaker 2: This will give this might give Kyler Murray the confidence to.
Speaker 1: Go to him.
Speaker 2: We saw him feed the ball to DeAndre Hopkins over and over again, even when Hopkins was covered, and this feels like that that Marvin Harrison can win all of those matchups, and that's going to give Kyler Murray an awful lot of confidence to go to him. I wonder if we're going to see that sort of takeoff in his career the way we saw for Josh Allen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've had some discussions with defensive coaches about how do you treat Marvin Harrison Junior from day from day one? Is he going to be the guy that you're going to have to make sure we know where he is on the field. Is he going to have to have some help over the top or your cornerback whoever. It is unlike that b role that we keep showing with all those poor cornerbacks drying their best but being unable to stop the ball from landing in Marvin Harrison Junior's hands. I'll bet you they're as excited as we are for training camp just so we can get some footage of Marvin Harrison running by NFL caliber cornerbacks. We don't have to keep showing these guys over and over. Speaking of training camp, that is a sweet polo right there from Omar Ruiz. That's the inside train polo that we're gonna unveil in just a couple of weeks here as we get back on the road for inside training camp. He'll be spending time out there, Judy, I and I will be spending time out there, and we'll have you at the Cardinals plenty, which wuld be a home game for you and a chance to see that offense on display. Thank you, Omar Ruiz. It's quitting time. Do your best stone called Steve Austin in Freshmon. In fact, if I had two cans of beer, I'd throw them to you myself.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Yeah, you know who else is celebrating here. That's me Cole Hartman. Yeah, another ring for the Hartman's right there. Will you marry me? Yes, she will. So congratulations to the two of you. We wish you a lifetime of happiness and we wish you the smoothest wedding planning process that you could possibly imagine. It is not always smooth, so good luck to you on that one of Congratulations Mikal Hartman on your engagement. Coming up, We've got the secret to the Bucks success joining us. It's not Baker Mayfield, it's actually someone in the front office. Yeah, that's right, we cracked the code. It's Jackie Davidson. She's going to join us next. You want to ask her about being the key to the Buck success the last couple of weeks, Welcome back to the Insiders. This week, at NFL Media's studios in Los Angeles, the league hosted the fourth annual Ozzie knew Some General Manager Forum and seventh Annual Quarterback Coaching Summit. NFLGMS coaches and front office executives addressed a diverse crowd of college and NFL personnel looking to advance their careers through professional development and networking opportunities. Among the panelists was our next guest here on the Insiders, Bucks, vice President of Football Research. And there's a lot more that goes into that title than just the research. We're going to get into that in just a second. Jackie Davidson is with us. Jackie, how is the summit going out there in LA Some It's been great.
Speaker 9: Anytime I think any of us can get together and sort of just bounce ideas off of each other, listen to what one another are doing in our respective roles, it's a great learning experience for everybody.
Speaker 2: I know. Jackie, you presented to the group, So what did you present about.
Speaker 9: So it was funny because I initially got the call to present, I thought I was going yesterday on the GM day, and I actually went today on the QB Summit day, speaking about game day analytics and coaching and just trying to, you know, kind of reframe how we talk about analytics, how we think about it from a coaching standpoint.
Speaker 1: Now, listen, that gets me right into what I wanted to talk about with your title, because you know football research, yes, and there's a contract aspect of it, but there is a game day aspect to what you do. You are involved in the day or the minute to minute really decisions second the second decisions that are made during the game. You're on the headset. You're communicating with Todd Bowles. You're telling them about here's what this situation calls for. Analytically, you're helping to make these decisions. I need to get into the headset. I need to hear what a conversation is like when you and Ballzy are going at it.
Speaker 9: We go at it very mildly.
Speaker 1: He's a very mild mannered individual.
Speaker 9: So even when he even when he gets upset about me about some of the things that I may suggest that we do. He doesn't really let a lot of it show. But when I first came into this role, it was with the idea that you know, it's going to be part analytics, part salary cap and it's kind of just grown into this edition of kind of the game day responsibilities. And with my relationship with Todd, I think when I first sort of went into kind of taking on some of these some of these added duties, it was more about how can I help him and how can I help the team be more successful?
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about the team. Baker Mayfield's obviously helped the transition from the Tom Brady era to the post Tom Brady era maybe a lot more smoothly than most of us expected, thanks in large part to Baker.
Speaker 3: And now he's coming back.
Speaker 2: He has said he wants to be a more vocal leader, he wants to be more in charge. From your perspective on the headset, from a front office perspective, from an analytics perspective, what did Baker bring to the box that made this so successful?
Speaker 9: I think the first thing he did he was a embodiment of the team and kind of what the sort of the perspective of the team was right. It was this you know, team that was anticipated to win four games and kind of came out with a chip on its shoulder. And I think that Baker took all of that on. And when you were coming after someone of a caliber like a Tom Brady, that's a hard you know, there's a hard shoe to Fiel because of his mental makeup, and you know, the idea that oh, you say we can't do that, We're going to show you. He walked in with that confidence embody that and I think everyone from players to front office kind of kind of took that on as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kam, I was speaking of one of your colleagues earlier today, Mike Greenberg, who you work hand in hand with when it comes to the contract negotiations with agents and players, and he said, you know, I've been here since twenty ten. I've experienced a lot of losing. Jackie comes in twenty twenty, I believe it is the year that you arrived three division titles and a Super Bowl title. Jackie, what's the secret sauce?
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm going to figure it out and use it for our next negotiation. Because I was just having a conversation with someone today and talking about I having experience not going to the playoffs with the Bucks. I just I think one of the things is a very you know, well run organization at top to bottom. We can't give enough priest to Jason light who the staff that he's put together, the way he runs things. I think that, you know, it just it speaks to kind of what he's done and from the top down, what we've been able to do the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: To be fair, Jackie did also work at the Jets, so she did not win a Super Bowl at the Jets before she went to the bar.
Speaker 1: We're not going to men. You didn't have to bring that.
Speaker 3: Up all right back to the Bucks.
Speaker 2: You got a new offensive coordinator, Lian Cohene. What do you expect the offense to look like? Will it be much different? Is Baker going to be doing different things? What do you expect from the offense going forward here?
Speaker 9: I would think it would, you know, there would be some different aspects to it. One if you look at the different backgrounds of Dave Canalis, who obviously is non Carolina, and Liam they have, you know, different ideas of what they think that should look like. And with that come different ideas of the quarterbacks role within that offense. Right, And so with Baker going into year two and some of the success that we had in year one to be able to build on at and you know, kind of put more on his plate because it's not a you know, you're not a one year deal guy that's coming in and we're in and it's more of a transition, like you're the guy now, So there's more I think expected of him, and I think, you know, William is kind of kind of seeing that and done that as he's come in.
Speaker 1: Jackie Davidson a candidate for front office jobs in the NFL moving forward. You're going to hear her name, and look, if you're thinking of hiring Jackie Davidson, here's how I'll put it to you. Okay, she went to undergrad in a school in North Carolina. So did a famous basketball player. But they don't call it Curry College. They do not call it Davidson College. Okay, that's all I'm going to say. Right, I appreciate that. How did you decide? How did Jackie Davidson decide to go to Davidson College? Like, how did that come up?
Speaker 3: You know, it sort of came up organically.
Speaker 9: I didn't even know there was a college named Davidson before I started getting recruits from there.
Speaker 3: Had zero idea.
Speaker 9: The thing that never ceases to amaze me, though, is how many people will ask me if I knew that the college had my last name, And it's just every time I hear it's a crazy question, like, yeah, I had some inkling, but you know, some of the best four years of my life.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Well had one more because I just asked you about it. Jackie Davidson, thank you very much. We wish you all the best going forward, and we'll let everybody know whatever's happening with the Bucks the last four years because of Jackie davids.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, Jackie Davidson shining that Super Bowl ring that you want. A couple of years ago, we want to talk about a team that's won four Super Bowls. That's the New York Giants. They're coming up on a hundred years in their franchise history, and they voted for the top plays in the franchise history was this. It was this number one. Last night, a cavalcade of Giants stars past and present filled the theater at MSG in New York City for an event celebrating the team's one hundredth anniversary. Fans listened to paddle discussions, got up close and personal with Hall of Fame artifacts, and saw some of the biggest names in team history, legends like Lawrence Taylor, Eli Manning, Peter Schrieger, Till Simms, and Justin Tuck race the stage. Wait what and the team revealed David Tyree Super Bowl forty two helmet catch as the fans vote for the greatest play in the first ninety nine years of Giants football. Judy Batista, you were on hand for the festivities. Talk to us about the moment that this was revealed, as well as what you saw the entire night with all those stars and attendance.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, that had to be the most predictable vote, imaginable, right, I mean, there's just no other choice. It had to be the helmet catch, I think, even though the Manningham catch from Eli in the next Super Bowl that was maybe the best pitch and catch I'll ever see. Anyway, it was a great night, Lots and lots of giant stars and legends, My favorite personal moment was Keavon Tippodeaux was there and he was talking about how great it is to be part of a franchise that has a long, illustrious history of great pass rushers, and of course there's the greatest pass rusher ever, Lawrence Taylor, and Kavon said he ran into Lawrence Taylor backstage and LT said to him, you know, how many sacks did you have last year? And Kaivon said, you know, eleven and a half, pretty good, and LT said, what'd you play?
Speaker 3: Three games? So it's that kind of night.
Speaker 2: Lots of good banter between current and past giants, legends, but really cool to see everybody. Bill Parcells was there, Tom Coughlin was there.
Speaker 3: Both looked great. Nice to see everybody together.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you heard LT, but they made it a little harder on defenses since you last played, changed up a couple of the rules there to make you go.
Speaker 3: Tell LT that.
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm gonna stay right here, beauty and the comforts of my home, but thank you very much. Actually, I'm going to stay in the comfort of my home for the next thirty seconds or so, and then I'm off. I'm taking off next week, Tom Pellisterero, we'll be back with you to lead the way on the insiders. I am going to Bar ten for the first time ever Jason Kelsey's Catch twenty two event that's happening at the Ocean Drive down there in Sea Isle City where I spent many day in my youth. Proceeds that's right benefit the Eagles and Autism Foundation. If you are attending this event, don't you dare think about ordering a mixed drink when I am behind the bar. You seem like more of a shot in the beer type crowd, So please, I want to do a little bit of twisting and a little bit of pouring, and that's about it. There will be no mixing. There will be no shaking your thoughts on my bartending skills, Judy, that you've never seen.
Speaker 2: I am going to get Christine Martin and we're going to head down the shore and we're going to order like the most complex mixed drink we can come up with.
Speaker 1: Listen, I don't know about that part of bartending, but I'm more than happy to listen to your worries, your concerns. You know I can be the ear for you. That's part of a bartender's job. A penny for your thoughts, Champ as I wipe the bar, you know something like that. Anyway, thank you for joining us on The Insiders all week long. We appreciate it. We've got plenty more to come over the next couple of weeks, keeping locked here at NFL Network. The Insiders comes back now next week. Yeah,