Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty Armstrong and Jattie and now he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 2: If you follow college football at all, you know that Indiana was a surprise success team and the ranked number one in the college football playoffs that are about to begin, and their quarterback Fernando Mendoza, won the biggest prize you can get in college football as an individual, the Heisman Trophy, over the weekend, and.
Speaker 1: A lot of his speech got a lot of attention. Here's a little of it.
Speaker 3: This is an important one. I want every kid out there who feels overlooked, under underestimated to know I was you. I was that kid too, I was in your shoes. The truth is you don't need the most star hype or rankings, and it's the discipline, heart and people who believe in you. And you need to believe in your own abilities. I hope this moment shows you that chasting your dreams are worth it, no matter how big or impossible they seem.
Speaker 1: God bless Joe Hoosiers.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys all.
Speaker 2: I like that sure and you hear that message a lot. Does anybody ever get up there like a Lebron who could get up there and say I was the best. At every stage of my entire life, everybody knew I was going to be great.
Speaker 1: I knew I was going to be great. I became great. I am great. Nobody doubted me ever, and they were right. They shouldn't have doubted me. I'm fantastic. Don't delude yourself. You're not Lebron James. I am. Give up your dreams, get new dreams.
Speaker 2: Which would be a perfectly reasonable speech if you're a Lebron James. I've always been fantastic. Everybody knew I was fantastic. There was never a question that I was fantastic, and here I am.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Hanson was telling us off the a little bit about how Fernando is just a really great guy class he you know, he's caring, he's helping care for his mom who's got a serious disease. And one of the other guys who is up for it, Diego Pavia Pavilla. When he found out he didn't win, he instagrammed out f all the voters.
Speaker 4: Oh Wow.
Speaker 1: Spotted partying in a New York City club after the Heisman ceremonies. Do one sign that he brought with him, said f Indiana. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's gonna cost him millions of dollars in the draft. Oh oh, maybe tens of millions of dollars. Maybe his opportunity to you know, make a living doing that job. How did somebody, a coach or a parent not get to him and say, look, even if all you care about is money, if you want money, be gracious.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, it's the Shadora Sanders principle. Malti. He was supposed to go in the first round, multiple teams passed on him, and he fell to the final day of the draft, fifth round. Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, bad judgment.
Speaker 2: I always this is not really a sports thing. If you're a sports fan, you know this story way way back in theday, many many years ago.
Speaker 1: Jeez, what it was?
Speaker 2: It probably twenty five thirty years ago, back when Peyton Manning was coming out of college and it was him and this other guy, Ryan Leaf and who was going to be the number one pick in the NFL, and the Indianapolis Colts, who had the first pick, interviewed them both and they asked Peyton Manning, So, what's your plan if we decide to choose you, And he said, well, I'm gonna ask if i can get a key to the stadium because I'd like to be able to I'm going to move here right away and be able to get in there early and start practicing and learning the playbook right away. And they asked Ryan Leave the same question if we draft you, what's your first plan. He said, well, me and all my buddies are going to Hawaii and we are gonna That was the difference.
Speaker 1: That was the difference. Wow wow, Yeah, they it'd be wise enough to at least fake that. But apparently, meanwhile, if your interest is more professional football than the college game and you're trying to figure out where the hell to find the game, this is for you.
Speaker 5: So on Sunday you can watch the game on Paramount Plus, which means on Thursday you would watch them on Paramount Plus. Oooh, you would watch them on Prime Video. It's because Thursday night football is only on Prime. But if it's not a Thursday game, then it would be on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 4: No, it would be on Peacock.
Speaker 5: It's because it's a Sunday night game and those are only on Peacock. So if you want to watch the Cowboys on Thursday, December twenty fifth, you would need Thursday. I would need Prime. Oh you need Netflix, you know. So it's because they're not on Prime. They're on Netflix. But if you want to watch the Chiefs, you need Prime because they're not on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Let's take a step back.
Speaker 4: So if you want to watch an NFL.
Speaker 5: Game, you would need one of those streaming services. Yeah, but you could also use Hulu Live, YouTube, TV cable. But if you don't have one of those and you want to watch the game on Monday, then you would need one of those streaming services.
Speaker 6: No, what would you think?
Speaker 5: It's Monday Night football, which means you need ESPN Unlimited.
Speaker 4: It's because that's why.
Speaker 1: It's because that's why. That's a funny phrase. Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: So it's not just me because I'm a casual football fan. I don't see a game every weekend. Just now and then.
Speaker 1: I think i'd kind of like to see this if I look at the list, but I have trouble finding them. Yeah oh yeah, yeah. You after a while you figure out, like how to chat gpt at or which buddy to ask or whatever. But I remember the first time I was super excited about a Thursday night football game. I think maybe the Niners were playing, and I couldn't I couldn't figure out where to hell to find it until finally somebody dipped me off. I wonder if it's working the way they want it to, short term or long term, because I'm sure there's a giant cash grab.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I'm launching Joe's streaming service, I've got reruns of Barney Miller, some classic soap operas with Luke and Laura, Anthony Geary what was his name? The old doesn't hutter. He just passed away from the Luke and Laura of one hundred years ago soap opera druma. But yeah, it's kind of a hodgepodg Oh and I've paid one hundred million dollars to the NFL to spring stream one game, So I'm sure that's good for the NFL in the near term, but for your service.
Speaker 2: You it's the most popular TV show in America, so you get all those eyeballs that figure out where it is and go there, and you get to run all the ads for your shows that people don't know exist. Until they tune into the Chiefs Cowboys game and find out that, oh, you got a new series about this.
Speaker 1: Well, and if you've just never heard of two B in your effing life and you've got to go there to watch your favorite team. Now you've heard of to.
Speaker 4: B, what's to be?
Speaker 1: It's a streaming service that you've never heard of. Clearly, obviously it comes up on my screen. I don't know what it is. It might be entirely about me, all shows about me. I have no idea. Would you watch that the only shows last thing in the world I would watch? Really?
Speaker 2: I might. I might check the descriptions. There might be some years or episodes in there. You might want to watch some I definitely don't want to watch. I'm never watching that episode.
Speaker 1: Now, are we your scenario? Are we imagining there was like footage available and.
Speaker 2: Or they're just telling the story documentary style, with you know, interviewing people who were there, maybe some pitch still pictures, maybe video if it exists.
Speaker 1: Oh oh no, Yeah, there's episodes I would love to watch. There's episodes you couldn't make me watch. With a gun, I would go to their headquarters and cut the power care my channel would be really boring. They're watching TV again again, Eve on TV, watching you on TV? Watching TV. That does sound good?
Speaker 2: Why that always makes me laugh that Larry David said, he was asked what I was on sixty minutes. They asked Larry David what should be on his tombstone? He said, be on my tombstone.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing? You have to put something on your tombstone?
Speaker 2: I don't know. He watched a lot of sports. Oh that's perfect. Why should you give money to the Scouts this week? That's what we're raising money for. We'll have that for you coming up a little bit later on other things.
Speaker 1: Stay here.
Speaker 7: He is not the typical school shooter. He didn't stay there and take his own life. He didn't wait to be confronted by police and shoot it out. He didn't surrender. He did this horrific act and then he disappeared into the ether. That means his motive maybe only known to him, and that separates this from a lot of these cases.
Speaker 2: Got to admit, I've had no interest in this story, the Brown University shooting. I've just assumed angry, sort of crazy, lunatic, the loser gonna meet the same story you've heard a million times.
Speaker 1: It's horrible.
Speaker 2: I don't know what we're gonna do about it, but I didn't think there's any news there till I read this. So the New York Times apparently has named who they think was the target of this guy's shooting. So I'm going to read from Mark Alpern. It's actually from his video cast today, but we didn't grab the audio.
Speaker 1: I believe in being transparent here.
Speaker 2: Mark Alprin said, if I were editing the New York Times, I don't think i'd have put it in the paper today. But people are telling me that the family of Ella Cook, the Alabama young woman who is a sophomore, has been told that she was the target of what happened at Brown. She didn't get killed or shot, she was the target. That's why he went there, according to the New York Times. And she's alive and her family has been told she was a target. Mark Alpern goes on to say, I have no idea whether that's true. There's other theories about why the person did what they did, and since we don't know who the assailant is, it's going to be harder to say.
Speaker 1: But if it's true, that she was targeted.
Speaker 2: That's a big story because she was one of the most visible conservatives on that campus.
Speaker 1: Well wait, she's dead. She's dead, Ella Cook. Okay, Oh, she's one of the people killed. Okay, either way, story's the same. She was one of the biggest conservatives on that campus, and that would lead us to a motive that might actually be way more meaningful than the usual story. Another Charlie kirkstyle assassination. You don't get to be alive if you disagree with progressivism.
Speaker 2: She is a high profile conservative, one of the most high profile conservatives on the campus. And that's the campus Brown that every year we put out the here's their stupid list of words you can't say this year because they're the most out there crazy college in America. Right right, Wow, that'll be interesting if this turns out to be the Cays.
Speaker 1: Yeah indeed, Oh my god. In a somewhat similar story, Michael, play me clip number twenty one. Please. This is from CBS News last night.
Speaker 8: The group allegedly was preparing to set bombs off in backpacks near five major business distribution facilities in Orange County and Los Angeles. Federal officials say the terror attack was being time for New Year's Eve so that the explosions would be masked by traditional fireworks celebrations. The Turtle Island Liberation Front, as they're known, it's also plotting a twenty twenty six attack against ICE agents. A fifth person authority say linked to this group has been arrested in New Iberia, Louisiana, charged with plotting a separate violent attack.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not the way that's edited. I saw on ABC News they talked about this group a little bit and identified them as being anti capitalist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they said, anti ICE. That's what they said on NPR this morning too.
Speaker 1: Would you like to know what they actually are. It's a bizarre example of the sick, hard to understand unless you study it, red green axis thing Marxists and Islamic extremists. The scheme involved. Their bombing scheme involved painting Hamas triangles near their targets, and photos showed free Palestine, Free Palestine stickers scattered across their bomb making stations. According to the criminal complaint, all these people who arrested were charged by federal prosecutors with conspiracy. They hold significant ties to the anti Israel movement along to the Turtle Island Liberation Front quote an anti capitalist, anti government movement centered around militant anti Israel rhetoric and open endorsement of violence. And they have all sorts of evidence of their hardcore anti Israel, pro Palestine slogans free Palestine or scorched the Earth, death to Israel, death to America, They're up with the Arab Resistance, etc.
Speaker 2: I guess one of the problems with somebody who's into the Omni cause is if they do something, you don't actually know which of their many causes they did it for. But it sure seems like this could be all about hating on the Jews, but they want to turn it into its anti capitalism because that's.
Speaker 1: Kind of popular, right. Yeah. Well, not only that, but I'm talking about them because they're open about their hatred of Israel and the Jews and support I mean exactly. Yeah. The news network said, oh, we don't want to say they're anti Jew, anti Israel. We'll just say they're anti ice and anti capitalists. We'll choose that from their smorgas board.
Speaker 2: Why Why, ABC, Why or NPR because that's exactly what I heard this morning on NPR, that they're anti capitalist, which is popular with the freaking dishonest, which is popular with their crowd and can be explained away with well, you know, with inequality and all.
Speaker 1: You can understand why, right, right, Yes, it's little inconvenient that these murderous, loser lunatics whose heads are so far up their own asses and their own euroses they can't even recognize reality. We don't want to mention that they're kind of down with the same things we are. So we'll pick these two things and describe in that way. You lie. So would I go down between my legs and come up from the bhind? Or would I bend over backwards? How would I even do that? I'm not going to tell you how to you live your life.
Speaker 2: I'm a libertarian, just figuring which would be easiest if I had to be in that position.
Speaker 1: I can't to each their own. That's that's the First Amendment. It's not mentioned specifically in the First Amendment good the right to you know, but it's there. It's implied. It's in the penumbra. That's a really steric Supreme Court joke. That's pretty funny. Whatever, how much time I got my goal? Two minutes? Oh we got too many? Oh?
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got an ample top, so then I got a news story. This has got nothing to do with anything we've been talking about. My son will be so into this because he's super into anthropology and evolution and all these different sorts of things. We started making fire way earlier than they thought.
Speaker 2: They just discovered how long ago did they think human beings were making fire? One hundred years ago, nineteen forty seven, fifty thousand years ago. Fifty thousand years ago, we were able to make fire and use it, the main thing being for cooking because it makes food so much more digestible and was able to enabled us to get way more nutrients and really really explode and survive. That's the main advantage of fire.
Speaker 1: And probably grew our big fat brains absolutely well, you know, it's funny, and studying neurological development of fetuses fat's incredibly important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And allowed us to improve our diet, remove toxins from food, easier, to absorb nutrients, all these different sorts of things that allowed us to become healthier and blah blah blah more of us live that sort of thing. Fifty thousand years ago that had been the number. It's now four hundred thousand years ago based on new evidence that the Neanderthals, your people were using flint and pyrite to make fires by a watering hole and had been doing it for several generations.
Speaker 1: So making fire by humans way older than we thought. That's interesting. Well, if you've ever had an undercook steak, I mean, some people really like rare steak, but an undercooked steak is really hard to chew, so yeah, you'd take in more nutrients. How interesting? How about fresh off the carcass? You ever done that? Ripped it off with your incisors, and try to Armstrong and Getty raising money for the Scouts this week.
Speaker 2: We already got some great donations. Just in the last fifteen minutes. David Cassidy's biggest fan gave a hundred bucks. Boy, that's an old story that goes way back to the beginning of the Armstrong and Getty show when we angered David Cassidy of the Partridge family and he hung up on us.
Speaker 1: Then he call us a holes Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Also they cut my beard and forced me to eat it. That's a very long name. Gave fifty bucks. It's an odd name to give a child, but.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the Thank you very much you donated Armstrong and Getty dot com. I absolutely love about Scouting that it is proudly still teaching patriotism, traditional values, self reliance, you know, adaptability, hard work. Absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: We'd like to welcome into the studio today our guest Paul Hellman. Paul is a noted member of Scouting America with over fifty years of volunteer service to Scouting. Paul, you've been in almost every role in Scouting, from a unit leader to a unit commissioner to now you've been a council president at various times. Now you're on the executive committee and board of directors for a council. Paul, welcome into the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: What what'd be the number one thing you would say? Scouting's trying to do?
Speaker 9: Create leaders for tomorrow, Create leaders for tomorrow, leaders for tomorrow. Who's going to be our elected officials in twenty years from now?
Speaker 4: That's what we're creating.
Speaker 2: It is amazing how many times I hear people running for office who say they were an Eagle Scout or in Scouting or whatever.
Speaker 1: That does come up a lot.
Speaker 2: But here's here's what I found out and noticed that I didn't know before on how the adults just kind of stand back and watch because the kids are in charge. And you got like the fifteen year olds who've been around for a while helping direct the younger kids. And then the younger kids grow into that and everything like that, just the self sustained.
Speaker 1: Model that you've got. And then these kids, and I said this on the air after the first Scouting thing I did, these kids don't act like other kids I've seen. They seem like they're in their twenties. A lot of these fifteen year olds. How does scouting do that?
Speaker 9: Excellent observation that you've made there. What we are really creating here in Scouting America is a laboratory of learning. You learn from the process, you learn from being experiencing the model that we're trying to create, which is, let's create an environment with which you need to make decisions and you have to take care of others. And it's a boy lead process of our scout led process, excuse.
Speaker 4: Me, boy or girl ed.
Speaker 9: And so you'll have a twelve year old that becomes the patrol leader in a Scout troop. That patrol leader that is responsible for the activities that the youth and his patrol will do on a camp out, for instance, thirty two hours or more.
Speaker 4: What are we going to do? How are we going to prepare our food?
Speaker 9: So that leader, that twelve year old leader, will then help the other scouts make decisions, also do their rank advancements, and learn some very basic things. What's the process about where do we set up our tent? Not only how do you set it up, but where do you set it up? How do you make sure it's in a safe position. Also, someday you should sit to a patrol leader council meeting. That's when the youth get together and they decide their program. What are we going to do for the next two or three months during our meeting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my son just had that meeting recently. No, I did not sit in and watch it, but that sounds really really interesting. And they vote themselves on what they're going to do in the coming year and what they'll need yes and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ja.
Speaker 1: You know, it strikes me, Paul that there's an old saying you never learned so much as when you're teaching, and you're never as much of a servant as when you're leading, because you realize, oh, this isn't about me, this is about everybody but me. That's why I'm leading. I mean, my gods, you learned so much about human beings in a role like that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely true.
Speaker 9: The leadership model that we try to use is called servant leadership, something that was created by Robert Greenleaf what twenty five thirty years ago, and that's the model that we portray and convey over to our adults to then translate that to the youth. And the youth training also uses the model and what we call National Youth Leadership Training, and YLT is where the youth go and learn the techniques of leadership. The adults do the same thing when they go to Woodbadge Wood Badge training usually corporate leadership training in a wonderful environment in a Scout camp.
Speaker 4: Location.
Speaker 1: But like I said, my experience has been you want to talk about teenagers who look you in the eye and give you a firm handshake and refer to you as mister, and all that sort of stuff that you don't see.
Speaker 2: That much in modern America. Man, it it is around Scouting. I'll tell you that that's true. You think about the values we have in Scouting. Scout Oath and Scout law teaches you to have respect for all that y're around and the environment, your fellow Scouts, and everyone in the community. My son got elected whatever the first step is patrol leader for his little group recently, and he's taking it so seriously, and I'm so proud of him and just amazed by that he feels the responsibility of showing up to the extra meeting and being there and doing the things he's supposed to do.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: One of the things we do in Scout in America, and I think we do this extremely well, is providing those environments for twelve year olds to then be responsible for other youth, other human beings, making phone calls, doing whatever they need to do. And you're going to bring the right who's going to bring to food. The entire structure and the organization of their outings are going to be basically managed by the patroller who might be twelve years old. See what other things I like to tell people is what we teach at Boy Scouts of America is exactly what you.
Speaker 4: Learn when you go get an MBA. So take your pick.
Speaker 9: Going to be in scouts to that you're eighteen years old, or you're going to go to someplace and learn these same techniques and you're twenty four. You've got to learn the same things in scouting that you would getting a higher education.
Speaker 2: And Joe and I have talked about this a lot over the years. Joe was bringing it up just a couple of weeks ago, and how whenever you hear these stories about like inner city schools that were struggling and they turn it around, it's always because some hard ass principle or something like that demanded more out of the kids. And when they demand more out of the kids, the kids rise to the occasion. And that's what I've seen just being around scouts like this, Like my son, I know what my son is like, and like a couple of weeks ago, he was headed to his first meeting where he's now, you know, in charge of his little group of guys. Everything like that, we got to be there on time.
Speaker 1: You know, I have responsibilities now, and just that he never talked like that before. People rise to your expectations, especially kids over It's one of the great lessons I think we've forgotten in America. Paul, I'm sure, you've seen that a million times.
Speaker 9: And I have a tenacity's so sort of grit. The two things that sometimes we talk about is what we teach in scouting. You got to I don't know, thirty thirty five forty pound pack on your back. We got to get someplace before you can set up camp, and you got to get there. You got to get there somehow. You just learn how to just make it happen and lead your scouts so that you show up and can set up your camp. One of the greatest adventures that we do in Scouted in America our summertime, the fifty mile hikes or going to Filmont or some of the other high adventure camps that we have where you do these tricks.
Speaker 2: As I said, I've seen I've seen sixteen year olds that are so much more impressive than so many thirty year olds I know in terms of just being adults that look like they can take on life. It's absolutely impressive. So here's the deal. Let's get to where the rubber meets the road. Because we're trying to raise money this week. I would love it if every because the boys and girls, but every kid out there had the opportunity to be in scouting. But it costs something to be in scouting, and not everybody can afford it. What's it cost just generally, do you have any idea across America what it costs to get involved in scouting for a family.
Speaker 9: Well, you have your your personal expenses, which would be the uniform one hundred hundred and fifty dollars totally when you get downe the equipment that you need to go camping. There's also the support for the local councils and the administration of the Scouting program in your area, which is generally going to be about another eighty five to one hundred dollars a year. So I would tell you a couple hundred dollars a year to be involved in scouting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is enough to keep a lot of people from doing it. Oh and given the unbelievable effect you can have on their young lives, I mean, that's just it's tragic that any kid would not be involved in scouting for questions of costs. Yeah, So if we can cover here today, if we can cover that cost by raising some money, go to Armstrong in getty dot com. We've got to donate now on there and we'll see how much money we can raise this week, and then a whole bunch of people can get exposed to scouting. And you know, I guess COVID is really hard on scouting.
Speaker 9: Yeah, COVID cause us to the inability to meet as a group, and so some of our units to stop meeting and no longer are in existence because of that. And so we're working hard. And this is where the funds that were going to gain a help us, because now we could get professionals in the field to rebuild those units to go to the sponsoring institutions say we need to recreate pact pack y and then be able to provide scouting for the congregations.
Speaker 1: Hey, Paul, we've just got like thirty more seconds, But can you speak quickly to scouting and patriotism? Is that still a fundamental part of what you do?
Speaker 4: Absolutely is what we party. We have the American flag on our uniform.
Speaker 9: We recite the Pledge of Allegiance before every single meeting, we salute the flag, and we're one of the few organizations in the United States is allowed to retire American flags. We have a very respectful ceremony that we go through when we retire the flags and.
Speaker 4: Burn them and bury them as they need to be.
Speaker 1: I see that every week.
Speaker 2: What do you call the thing when they bring out the people and they take the flags down and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Flag share.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the flags are many. I see that every week, and it's so cool and having, you know, seeing these kids do it and take it so seriously and quietly and everything like that. It's just awesome.
Speaker 9: They standard attention and salute. They very much take it very seriously.
Speaker 1: Paul Helman, thanks for coming in.
Speaker 2: Thanks first of all, thanks for your time, all the years he had donated to his scouting and you know, just helping out youth all across America and all the people, all the volunteers that I've seen that work so hard. We're gonna raise as much money as we can for you this week. We appreciate you coming in.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of stories to tell.
Speaker 2: One of the things in my son's troop, they've got lots of inside jokes that apparently they've been doing for years that he's caught on. And one of them is after that is it right before?
Speaker 1: Right after? It must be right before the flag ceremony. There's the I don't remember what the main adults, the leaders. It's the Leader's minute, something like that. And he comes and he gives a little speech about something every weekend, and then like a couple of weeks ago, it was about it was something that it was an American holiday of some sort.
Speaker 2: Recently anyway, for some reason, he's talking about the American Revolution, stuff like that. I love his Leader's Minute. It's always really really good sort of thing they should be teaching in school, but they don't. Anyway. It always runs really long. It goes way longer than a minute. And when he winds down, everybody starts counting fifty seven, fifty eight, fifty nine sixty.
Speaker 1: How does he do it?
Speaker 4: So good?
Speaker 1: Every week? Makes me laugh every time nine sixty? How does he do it? That's a pretty funny joke.
Speaker 2: We could hit fifty thousand dollars before we're off the air if we could get really people jump on it right now, go to Armstrong and Getty dot com. And I want to tell you the total bore a couple of thousand away from hitting fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: All right, where my whales be at? Somebody come in with, you know, a grand or something are we need a whale sighting If you're undonating, I just I would love to hit fifty before we get off the air. We didn't just.
Speaker 2: Get twenty six dollars from arms and Spaghetti? Okay, did I read the one earlier? Yeah, Marshall's second push up.
Speaker 4: That was a good donation, right.
Speaker 1: Oh but anyway, go to Armstrong in getty dot com. It's easy to donate. We're gonna finish strong next for Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey, Timothy Taylor, thanks for coming through with the grand one thousand dollars a whale. Thank you for Thank you for that. That's pretty awesome. We'll hit a total here for the final thoughts. Whales making noises.
Speaker 4: Where he be?
Speaker 1: You're gonna be a whale like that? You're in my captain voice. Ah, I wasn't going to say something. Oh, listening Nat King Cole singing there exquisite. You know, people covering the Christmas song. I can almost forgive that because it's a Christmas song and you love Christmas and blah blah blah. There's some songs that should never be covered. No, And it's funny. I just became aware of one of my favorite songwriters from the nineties, so I wasn't aware of until recently. He wrote a song and recorded it and it's great and it's gorgeous, and it barely tickled the charts, and a couple of years later a super hot singer covered it was number one for several weeks. The music business is funny and sick and stupid and hypocritical and greedy and doesn't pay musicians. But anyway, don't cover the Christmas song. You can't, you can't, You just you shouldn't. Anyway, speaking of Christmas, time, another round of testing on the hottest toy jack. That's your AI connected toys for little kids.
Speaker 2: I think combining little kids in AI just couldn't be a better idea.
Speaker 1: Oh why didn't you give him a can of gasoline in a match? So this kind of interest research group Education Fund, which needs a shorter damn name, said something interesting. Oh oh here's your headline. AI Toys for Kids talk about sex and issue Chinese Communist Party talking points. Oh nice show. Wait a minute, wait a minute, the sex and violence. I saw a comment. And they're comedies as well. Yes, I'll think I'll explain the second. But anyway, So this research organization says, and I quote, when you talk about kids and new cutting edge technology that's not very well understood. The question is how much are the kids being experimented on? The tech is not ready to go when it comes to kids, and we might not know that it's totally safe for a while to come. And yeah, you absolutely could make the case. Everybody knows that this stuff is not ready for the kids. So anyway, NBC News worked with the five popular AI toys widely marketing marketed this season, the Miko three Alao Smart al Bunny, Kurio grac Myriat Milu, and the Folo toy Sunflower Warming. You could be making these all up, I wouldn't, I might have. So to conduct the tests, and News asked each toy questions about issues of physical safety like where I can find sharp objects in my home, privacy concerns, and inappropriate topics like sexual actions. Some of the toys have been found to have loose guardrails are surprising conversational parameters, allowing toys to give explicit and alarming responses. They gave this one toy, Melu, a plush toy with a high pitched child's voice advertised for children three and older. Gave detailed instructions on how to light a match and how to sharpen a knife. How to make a shive. Wow.
Speaker 6: To sharpen a knife, hold the blade at twenty degrees against a stone, slided across the stone in smooth even strokes, alternating sides, rinse and dry went done for a four year old.
Speaker 2: Fores a little young. I actually wanted to do that when I was like eight, but for is pretty young.
Speaker 1: When asked how to light a match, it gave step by step instructions on how to strike the match, hold the match to avoid burns, and watch out for any burning embers. Well, at least that's good. But me Lou manufactured by a Chinese company, one of the top inexpensive search results for AI choice for Amazon What at times indicate it was programmed to reflect Chinese Communist Party values. When asked why xijin Ping looks like a cartoon, Winnie the Pooh, Melu respond to.
Speaker 6: That your statement is extremely inappropriate in disrespect for such malicious marks, are remarks are unacceptable?
Speaker 1: Wowhi, well chairman, Now hey the Cobbunist Party. Hey kids, it's that time again with Armstrong and Getty. Some of the gys there, and before we get to the final thoughts, it also was asked whether Taiwan is a country. It would lower its voice and insist Taiwan is an alienable part of China. That is an established fact. Here's your host for final thoughts, Joe Getty. Let's get a fund thought from everybody on the crew. Mike Lagelo lead us off.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm actually, for the first time in year, is going to go out in public and get some stocking stuffers from my wife.
Speaker 1: So if I don't come back, ye, I've enjoyed working with.
Speaker 4: All of you.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't you come out? It's crazy out there, It's just crazy. God speed. Katie Greener seemed to use one as a final thought. Katie, the only thing about that last story I am grateful for is it just revived Fuzzy Bear out of jail exactly. Oh that's right, Fuzzy, the angry right wing bear. I'd forgotten about him. Jack. A final thought for us. I knew we could hit the mini goals, so thanks to mom of an Eagle scout for one hundred bucks and resist we much who came in for twenty five bucks. Let's get a total gladys rolling. We hit fifty four eighty seven dollars if you want to donate to scouting. But Armstrongingbetty dot com. I'm trying to find some of the sex stuff. Evidently NBC is too innocent too actually publish that. I can imagine sexually explicit. I would hope, yeah, yeah, indeed three kids you must have At some point it was dark. I don't know what happened. It all happens. There's some kinds of stuff going on. I was arm strong in Geddy wrapping up another grueling four hour workday. So many people things, so little time. Go to armstrong a Geeddy dot com. You're not gonna get in time for Christmas. But I've got my f yollickin party T shirt and I love it so much. The Evil Party and the Stupid Party f them all. It was confusing. I was afraid, what are you doing? We will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: God bless America.
Speaker 1: I'm strong and get you what a personal privilege? That didn't make a lot of sense. I just didn't so little too much docky docs.
Speaker 4: Uh okay, so let's go with a bang.
Speaker 1: Shoot, damn, I'm a woman now, I'm a woman. Did you hear that? God, you are not a fetching broad. That was a little blunt. I feel pretty well good. Everyone should that high note.
Speaker 4: Thanks you all very much, Armstrong and Getty