Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi ladies, this is such a great Morrow's Minute because we had this episode that was so chock full of stuff. The thing that I kept noticing that really drove me crazy this episode is that Kimberly and Michael are deep into their affair and Alison sees them kissing just overtly making out in the pot. Oh so overt, so overt, and she spends all this time sort of chasing down Mike Lin, confronting him. Never ever mentions telling Jane, which I thought was so strange. So what do you think the and I understand not wanting to get in the middle, and Michael sort of says, will you did this with Keith so you don't have a leg to stand on? What do you guys think? Do you confront the guy? Do you tell the friend? Like if she finds out that Ali didn't tell her, won't she be furious? Have you been on either side of it or been close to this kind of situation?
Speaker 2: I mean, in your character, Alison confronts the guy, like, you go right up to you follow him into the laundry room and do confront him. I thought that was interesting for Alison, who is being portrayed as kind of the good girl in very midwestern and had an affair not that long ago with.
Speaker 3: A married man with Keith, so you do confront him.
Speaker 2: I thought that was interesting instead of going to Jane or instead of talking to Joe you know about it? What do we do?
Speaker 3: What do I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it is sort of interesting because I think probably not a whole lot of time has passed right in what Alison has decided to do, so I can understand like that conundrum of going you know, I feel so gross and angry about this, but like deciding to confront the guy before going to the friend, I thought, it's just it's almost like confirmation, you know. And then for Allison's purpose, it does sort of get worse by his confirmation of it. He doesn't have a good excuse. He actually doubles down and he's like mister entitled about it, which is super gross. Which it does feel like the next thing Alison should do is tell Jane I mean, and.
Speaker 2: Then on the other hand, she's miss noseybody, do you know what I mean? Like I wish that she hadn't confronted him. I know we had to do that for storyline. I wish he'd gone to Jane, because Michael totally denied it in her face, gas lighting with a vengeance, with real audacity, and he does that, so you're just like.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, jeez, that was the wrong move. Now if she goes to Jane, I just wish she'd gone to Jane first.
Speaker 1: Maybe the fantasy in her mind was she would say to Michael, I started to go, oh my god, I'm so so sorry. It was a terrible mistake. I'm never going to do it again. Yeah, he would be contrite. His reaction made it so much worse, right, saying yeah, I'm doing it, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 4: Have you ever had, like, were you ever faced with this like dilemma of like do I tell my friend something she's really not gonna want to hear, but I have to be the one to deliver this news, Like have you ever been in that? Like I don't think I've ever had to do that and be I mean, I hear you hear about it, right, like, oh god, I and I can understand them not wanting to be in the middle I don't think I've ever been I know that, Like, I don't know, I just.
Speaker 3: Memory these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nothing this extreme, but I have like you hear that someone saw someone's husband on a dating site.
Speaker 4: Oh and then actual husband or an ex husband a.
Speaker 5: Current that's really great.
Speaker 3: Then what do you do? Do you tell the wife?
Speaker 1: I don't know, like, because because here's the here are the seventeen layers of it. Right, So you have the layer of do you tell her maybe they have an agreement? Maybe maybe they have an agreement, maybe they have an open marriage, and you're just humiliating her by telling her, right, Like, you don't have the information. We don't know ever, what goes on behind closed doors, right, So do you say I saw this, because then you're hining light on something is none of your business.
Speaker 3: But then if you.
Speaker 2: Don't say anything, you're the friend who didn't say anything, And I don't want to be that person, Like do you know what I mean? Like, then you're the friend, Like what kind of friend are you? You just saw that and you didn't say anything. I could see like getting in trouble for that too. But then you've brought this thing to the surface. What if they were sort of in happy denial and then they know you know, so then now there's eye on this and eye on this problem in their marriage.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's so complicated, and I do.
Speaker 4: I do think you're right, Like, there's there's a possibility. I think this happens a lot where the person receiving this news so desperately doesn't want to accept it that they turn their anger sort of as the person who delivered their message.
Speaker 6: Know, yeah, that don't.
Speaker 4: Shoot the messenger, but it's I think that's a really classic sort of thing to happen.
Speaker 6: I think that's probably.
Speaker 4: Like if I were ever in this position, I think I would super grapple with I don't want to be the one to deliver this new but I don't want to not Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Want to know.
Speaker 2: I just need to say you too, if you in real life, Okay, forget the podcast, forget the characters, forget I see. No, I don't want to be like, well, maybe Daphne has an open situation.
Speaker 3: Well maybe maybe she'll get mad at me.
Speaker 6: Take the chance and tell me.
Speaker 1: For Courtney the teller, is it time to tell her that way?
Speaker 6: I don't know, we've been holding this information I didn't know how to tell you, but I thought I'm doing it all.
Speaker 4: I know all the passwords on the Melrose Minute. Is the right time to tell you this really important information?
Speaker 6: Daf Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Are you sitting like to keep a really personal intimate conversations for the Melose minute.
Speaker 4: And under the guise of like just talking about it in a hypothetical way, Actually we have something.
Speaker 6: To share with your dad.
Speaker 2: But I totally would want to know and if I let me okay, let me ask you guys, if I know something, what should I do going forward? If I find out anything about either of you and your partners?
Speaker 3: What well?
Speaker 1: Number one, wait for Melrose minute. Number one, that's supportin thing.
Speaker 4: Will wait for the show actually maybe a full hour episode.
Speaker 6: I just want all of it, like just yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally, it'll up our ratings. Okay, but then I do what I think.
Speaker 1: For me, it's because if the person who saw the guy on the dating site, these are not intimates of mine, right, So right have to first of all call this person, say listen, it's Courtney.
Speaker 5: You don't know me well, but we're not closely.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm just a busy body.
Speaker 5: You may remember me from Melrose place listen.
Speaker 1: So then that I would not write like I will never say that, but if it was one of my inner circle of friends, I absolutely would because because of what you said, Daphney, I would be so horrified if one of my truly intimate friends knew something like this and didn't tell me, because I would.
Speaker 5: Feel like they were lying to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then I would tell, and I would say, do you know I love you no matter what you choose to do with this, no judgment because I really don't have any judgment. Like people get to it they want no judgment, But I just need you to know this because I tell you everything and I just want to have a clear channel.
Speaker 4: So then I just like sort of choosing your loyalties, right, like I'm I'm you're my friend, and you're the one, yes, who should know what I know? Like I'm it's you I want to protect and by having this information, that's I'm looking out for you.
Speaker 2: But if you're friends with both the couple and your loyalty is to them as a couple, it's tricky, man, It's really tricky.
Speaker 3: Tricky, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be a fun But people other people would say because it's a but I know what I would want and uh yeah, oh, just for the record.
Speaker 5: Underhand on a site zip it.
Speaker 3: Because we have an agreement.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, no, I want to know too, but maybe keep it off the Millrow's minute, I come on personal preference.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, but this is uh, we'll see hopefully people will our listeners will pipe in and say what they would do or have had done to them.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think, yeah, it'll be interesting too, Like now that Jane has an idea, does she mention it to her dear friend Alison, And does Alison say, listen, now that you bring it up, I want to mention this little tit.
Speaker 3: And she would get mad at you.
Speaker 5: I'm sure then she of course do not tell me.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, it's it seems like that's coming.
Speaker 4: And it's totally fair, like she's figured it out on her own anyway sort of. But like it's going to give Alison the opportunity to say, actually, now that you mention it, but it is still going to open up the cannon words like why didn't you tell me sooner?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's so you know, unfortunately, right, it's humiliating for the person who was cheated on. Right, it shouldn't be because it's not about them. It doesn't say anything about them. But in a way, you're humiliating your friend by saying, listen, this person cheated on you. And it's so embarrassing when somebody knows something intimate about you your life that you didn't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that reaction might be very as we said earlier, it might be angry at you, like if your denial is strong and like, what do you know? And then suddenly you have no friend anymore. You know, I'm very very you know all or nothing and very I make you know. I want to know, and you're gone. If you go, you're gone, You're dead to me, and I'll probably end up in jail because I.
Speaker 3: Have to kill you. But oh, that is a lot. That's a lot.
Speaker 5: So we won't tell Daphne.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but now you're making me think she wants to know.
Speaker 2: But on the other hand, I just feel like I could just see, like it's boy, it's a no win situation.
Speaker 6: I do have a friend who.
Speaker 4: Has like a neighbor that she saw a neighbor that's like married or whatever, and then but she saw this neighbor so like to your point, like not a close close friend, but a neighbor with somebody that wasn't her husband and sort of witnessed this and she just you know, sort of filed it away or like, but it wasn't her place because she wasn't close enough friend.
Speaker 6: To say anything about it.
Speaker 4: But the neighbor, then, you know, who knew that My friend saw Yeah, said you know, hey, I just wanted to let you know.
Speaker 6: What you saw.
Speaker 4: It's actually we do have an agreement and an open relationship, and I just you know, I just wanted to just so you just don't think anything's weird whatever. And it was that situation where where it was explained by this unique relationship and and it was an agreement and whatever. But the neighbor sort of even though you know it's like a close.
Speaker 3: So did your friend say really, so it was.
Speaker 4: Just sort of like an interest your wife know about the open Does your wife know that there's an agreement?
Speaker 6: Is the wife in on this opening ground and so that you have it? Yeah, So, like I.
Speaker 4: Think there are sort of some unexpected you how comes to things like that, even like it's such a weird thing hypothetical, and I think it's like a case to case. It's based on what your relationship was with the person, and like your relationship with the person, whether it's you know, important for you.
Speaker 6: To get involved or whatever.
Speaker 4: And but just again it just calls Michael out for just being absolutely opposite of having any consciousness at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you also don't want it to be so Alison is now told Billy, and Alison will probably tell Joe and then she'll tell Jake.
Speaker 5: You don't want Jane to feel like.
Speaker 1: The last to everyone knows it. Talking about that wuld be horrible.
Speaker 2: I would see Alison telling Joe and then Joe marching right down to Jane's I could see Joe like marching right down with Alison Jane. Oh hi, Michael, that episode' here, sit on down. I have something to ask.
Speaker 4: Which again might sort of throw Alison under the bus, like, oh really, Joe would tell me but not you.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think that that's what she would do for sure.
Speaker 4: I love that we have to use our Melrose characters to imagine like what we would do, Like there's so many of these circumstances, like I've never really been in this position.
Speaker 2: Well maybe when the show is on Laura like, people would do stuff and then say, well, what would Melrose do?
Speaker 3: It's fine, they would do.
Speaker 5: It being blind, so people would be nice to me.
Speaker 6: Did you wonder what I really do?
Speaker 5: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't have to wonder. Sometimes a script just it's like your real life.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, how.
Speaker 3: Do they know?
Speaker 6: How do they know? That's exactly the type of thing that you would do.
Speaker 3: What's a documentary Melrose?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, going.
Speaker 2: Back to our first, our original question of this Melose minute, if you put it on Melo's place, we'd be like boring, ho hum, Yes, it happens like every other day, somebody's cheating on somebody.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had to skip ahead to watch an episode that Rob Esti's was in and we were like, what is happening?
Speaker 5: It was so much going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, plenty, plenty of conversations.
Speaker 5: Get a taste of that. Yeah, see what happens in thirty.
Speaker 4: It can make us ask a lot of what would I do in real life questions?
Speaker 3: Oh, you guys, what to do?
Speaker 1: I'd like to hear what it's good to know that you guys would like to know. I'm on the fence, okay, noted. So we'll be very my dog's out walking with someone else.
Speaker 5: Do you guys keep it carrying.
Speaker 4: We'll weigh all the pros, and that's a whole other Melrose minute.
Speaker 5: Right, dog walkers, Yeah, alright, guys, to.
Speaker 6: See you, see you for the next one.
Speaker 3: Bye,