Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central, It's America's only sorts for new.
Speaker 3: Is the Daily Show with your host John do It.
Speaker 4: Hah, Welcome to the TWA Show. My name is John Short. Look at that, Oh b les a shot. We've been gone. H we just got back and we've been gone like a like a week. It's been a week or a decade or.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so much, so much.
Speaker 1: Has happened in that week.
Speaker 4: In fact, I believe perhaps it's best to describe what's happened through a short, one man black box play, one that I truly hope will be Tony eligible.
Speaker 1: Can I get a little? Give me a little like stetto music.
Speaker 4: I am a democrash, so sad, so cold. The world is dube, the world and the future she's bleaker.
Speaker 2: The President's ditch has gotten even deeper.
Speaker 1: There's no path to victory. The worst nightmare kind of scenario. It's a doom loop.
Speaker 3: We're trapped in a doom loop.
Speaker 4: That's the worst kind of loop. Why couldn't it have been one of those loops made of fruit? But alas, my ball is empty condemned to a life of misery and minority status in key sub committees. Oh, nothing will ever change our sad fate.
Speaker 6: Breaking news, President Biden dropping out of the twenty twenty four race.
Speaker 4: Say that again, But who would guide us out of the darkness?
Speaker 1: Who would take us there to the promised that.
Speaker 2: I'm coming home?
Speaker 5: Walk the lot.
Speaker 1: Lead?
Speaker 2: I feel alive tonight.
Speaker 3: Breaking news.
Speaker 7: Vice President Kamala Harris now the presumptive Democratic nominee.
Speaker 3: Political earthquake.
Speaker 1: There is a new pep in everybody's step.
Speaker 4: In the span of week, Democrats have gone from the despair of a certain Trump presidency to the joy of a statistical tie.
Speaker 8: Which.
Speaker 1: Right now that feels like victory. Already.
Speaker 8: The prospect of her candidacy has injected enthusiasm and energy.
Speaker 5: She's received a tsunami of grassroots support and cash.
Speaker 3: She's raised staggering two hundred million dollars since President Biden dropped out.
Speaker 4: It's a zoom world record.
Speaker 5: More than one hundred thousand white women mobilized for Vice President Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: One hundred thousand white women.
Speaker 4: That is a giant group white women. I believe the scientific term is actually a group of women.
Speaker 1: That is called a group of women. Two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 4: They've raised a united enthusiastic Democratic Party, a huge reversal in one week.
Speaker 1: And they said it couldn't be done.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden is going to be the nominee.
Speaker 9: This fantasy stuff, this is good for TV, but Biden's not going anywhere.
Speaker 8: This is not an Aaron Sorkin West Wing episode here, this is real life.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden is a nominee, and he will be nominee. We literally have three choices as Democrats.
Speaker 8: Either you vote for Donald Trump, you vote for Joe Biden, or you stay on the couch.
Speaker 4: I think we know which one of those options. Jd Vance would operate. Even I don't feel good about that joke.
Speaker 1: What do I know? A simple pink pony. Grandpapa's John brake Y. That's a.
Speaker 4: Farley, A reference to being a Chapel Roone fan, which I totally am. Now, somebody in the audience, there'd never people come there, but.
Speaker 1: Listen, man. The pundits all said it couldn't happen, but it did.
Speaker 4: Happen, and the Republicans are not very happy about it.
Speaker 2: They just steamrolled democracy.
Speaker 9: The Democrats are trying to hijack democracy.
Speaker 1: The ultimate election interference. This was a coup inside the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: A coup de talk, a bloodless coup.
Speaker 1: But I get it.
Speaker 4: If I thought I had this thing in the bag, you were going to be going up against old Joe Biden and then they pulled this, I'd be like, rough Raf, open your eyes.
Speaker 1: How can you not say? They're cooing? They're cooing?
Speaker 4: And by the way, I love that guy's disappointment in the phrase bloodless coup. This is a This is a bloodless coup. What kind of fun is that? At least we brought bare spray and nunchucks.
Speaker 1: But you know what I do. You understand that they're upset. It makes sense. So how about we do this out of fairness. I'm a fair person. You can replace your old guy too.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 4: Even Stephen, by the way, speaking of your old guy, he responded to the change to Harris in the Trumpiest way possible.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump posted this on his true social account quote, so we are forced to spend time and money on fighting crooked Joe Biden. Now we have to start all over again. Shouldn't the Republican Party be reimbursed for who.
Speaker 4: Do you have any idea how much money and let's go brandon your bandages expense.
Speaker 1: Made in America via bank the My Trump is too Jerry Lewis, Well, what's done is done.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have to shift years, we calibrate. You've got Cookie Joe and Sleepy Joe on speed dial. You're going to need a new line of attack.
Speaker 1: Chas are like Jewish people join the club. We're getting crushed out there right now. I'm not even sure how much we like ourselves.
Speaker 4: It's not like the old Seinfeld days when we were riding high.
Speaker 1: You know, don't don't don't, don't du.
Speaker 4: You can get a bagel in Iowa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me a shweeer in ames Iowa. Boom boom boom boom boo.
Speaker 4: Of course, that attack may ring hollow, seeing as Kamala Harris's husband is let me check my notes, Jewish, anything else that could denigrate all of Kamala Arris's accomplishments by suggesting it's merely the power of the Jezebel.
Speaker 5: It is relevant when a young candidate tries to sleep her way into politics and into power, and that is what it appears Kamala Harris did.
Speaker 1: She's never earned or won anything.
Speaker 7: She was legitimately handed her original post in California state government because she was sleeping.
Speaker 9: With Willie Brown, and then he backed her in her race for San Francisco DA.
Speaker 4: Okay, squeaks, listen, I don't know, guys, you're being awfully subtle here.
Speaker 1: Isn't there a grosser way you can say.
Speaker 8: That Kamala Harris she's the original Hawktua girl.
Speaker 3: That's the way she got where she is.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of substantive and elevated take from a guy who looks like he's won Mike's hard lemonade away from getting in a fight at his sister's wedding. You little tough to hair, and you're not fooling anybody, Baldy so Sex is saying, Kamala Harris slept her way to the top. Joe Biden and Donald Trump literally slept her way to the top, and we never heard of the.
Speaker 1: Pink about it.
Speaker 4: Does anybody have a substantive critique.
Speaker 7: Her record is extraordinarily radical. Let me say at the outset, Kamala can't have my guns, she can't have my gasoline engine, and she's sure as hell. Can't have my steaks and cheeseburgers, sir.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be rude.
Speaker 4: Does appear that you could at least share some of your cheeseburgers.
Speaker 1: Looks like you'll still be okay? Is that right? Tubs?
Speaker 4: Did you see you have mutton chops in case you get hungry?
Speaker 1: But is Harris really that radical?
Speaker 10: If you combine Bernie, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, you get Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: If you combine Bernie Sanders and Elizabethoarne, you get Kamala Harris. I can't be you know what? There is an app that actually does that community Leobada Garris.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's me Opata Gars. I love that guy.
Speaker 1: He's the best. Come on guys.
Speaker 4: Nobody believes Kamala Harris is the second coming of Karl Marx. And even when they get substantive policy critiques, they undercut them immediately.
Speaker 5: Even when she was in California, she was very soft on crime, the same Kamala Harris who as a California prosecutor and attorney general put people in prison to use them as cheap labor.
Speaker 1: She's too soft on crime. She's too tough on crin people. We opened it three months you're flailing dig deep.
Speaker 6: That's one final thing that nobody talks about.
Speaker 3: She's hated by people who worked for it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, are you kidding me?
Speaker 7: Everybody that worked for Kamala quit a very aggressive, angry, bullying boss.
Speaker 1: She's not a nice person to work with. She's a terrible boss. Your candidate's Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: His catchphrase is literally you syd He's the Anna Wintur of authoritarian wannabes. Donald Trump hired forty four cabinet members. Seventy five percent of them want nothing to do with the guy. His second Darry of State, called him a fing moron. His chief of staff said he's the most flawed person I've ever met.
Speaker 1: You know why he needs a new vice president of running mate, I'll tell you you're tried to get the last one killed. That's right now, terrible they're failing.
Speaker 4: You know what, if you want something done to yourself, Donald, you're gonna have to hit Kamala with one of your magic nicknames, laughing.
Speaker 2: Kamala l A F F I an apostrophe, laughing.
Speaker 6: So now we have a new victim to defeat Lion Kamala Harris, Lion l Yi an Apostophe.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know what I hate to say. It can be you tried, you give your best. I kind of think you're going to have to go back to your classics. It's worked for you in the past. It's your comfort zone. I think you're gonna have to play the hits.
Speaker 3: I think she was a DEI hired, she was a DEI.
Speaker 1: She would be the Queen of DEI if she were elected.
Speaker 2: She is DEI.
Speaker 10: I think that this whole d E and I token higher.
Speaker 5: Kamala Harris has already been exposed.
Speaker 6: This woman, this disaster whose only qualification was having a vagina and the right skin color.
Speaker 1: So I guess she's black or is she?
Speaker 10: She's not African American. Her mother's from India, her father's from Jamaica. She grew up in Canada, and she married a white Jewish guy. So she has no common experiences with Black Americans.
Speaker 1: She's not one of you. She's not even married to one of you. She's also about as black as Rachel Dozel.
Speaker 3: This is how desperate they are.
Speaker 1: Is she black? Is she Indian?
Speaker 3: Nobody knows to ra.
Speaker 2: In one person.
Speaker 1: Now I've seen everything. I heard.
Speaker 4: She sent a DNA to twenty three and me and it broke the computa.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do. Good, it's greatious.
Speaker 4: These people ever saw a pizza hat slash taco bell, They'd lose their fucking minds.
Speaker 1: What is this a di restaurant?
Speaker 4: For more on the Republican response to Kamala Harris, we go live to Washington, DC with senior political correspondent Josh Johnson.
Speaker 2: Josh, thank you so much. Thanks for driving off, Josh, You've been down in DC.
Speaker 1: Everything is flying around. What is the latest, Josh?
Speaker 8: There's a tough one for them, John. Kamala Harris is a confusing candidate for Republicans. They feel she's too young to be president but too old to be a woman. But they do have some very promising areas of attack. She's too short, She's bad at video games, all of them, all right, Grand Theft Auto Mario Kart, Mario Party, Super Mario Party, Mario Party, Superstars, Grand Theft Mario Party.
Speaker 3: Oh and she.
Speaker 8: Laughs funny, you know, the laugh of a drunk girl who lost her person then realized she actually was wearing her purse the whole time. America hates that kind of laugh. It's not that funny, Stacy.
Speaker 1: Where do you think the attacks are going to land?
Speaker 8: Well, as you mentioned earlier, I really think the winner is going to.
Speaker 3: Be she's blind.
Speaker 8: Okay, sorry for yelling. That's how it was said to me.
Speaker 1: Just yelled she's black.
Speaker 8: No, No, they have all kinds of attacks. Ready, all right, I'm seeing uh black black black woman. I got this one American African, which sounds scary when you flip it like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you see that.
Speaker 1: Let you see that. That's the one. Oh.
Speaker 8: They were looking at me when they said this one like you, But lady also got some more black black and he black urban doesn't crack at least they know.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 8: I can't even say this one. Oh my lord, I'm Kenya. I think that one is left over from the last time someone was you know, black, you said it, not me.
Speaker 1: It's black on every page.
Speaker 8: It's most of the words.
Speaker 1: It's tough. Yeah, black to you, John, Thanks John, John Johnson.
Speaker 2: Everybody hear week, come back, Buddha, Josh, don't go away. We're about the Dalla show.
Speaker 1: My guest tonight.
Speaker 4: He is the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, ran for president of twenty twenty Foe's welcome to the program, Pete Boodha.
Speaker 2: Judge, h, I'm gonna turn about this. So all right, we're a little crazy.
Speaker 1: Uh let me let me.
Speaker 2: Kind of story.
Speaker 9: H h.
Speaker 2: M hm hm.
Speaker 4: H. That uh is all the time we have. I gotta tell you. So I was coming out.
Speaker 1: I come out earlier just to talk to the audience, have some words. There was a lovely woman in the audience. She said.
Speaker 4: She stood up and she said, is the future Madam president here tonight? And I said, I'm not sure what you're saying. She said, Kamala Harris. And I said, oh, you thought Kamala Harris is here tonight and she's not. And there was a sadness that crept over the heat.
Speaker 1: But you just healed it. You. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just swear to God though, because you are for liberals watching you go on Fox News and discuss things in a rational manner. It is for liberals. It's like when when Gossling hosts SNL. It's just that it's just like, oh, he's so good at this. Is that an uncomfortable thing to do? Is it something you enjoy?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Lotal, I mean I never thought that Fox News would be like a specialty of mine. Yes, it's not something I watched a ton of before I found myself going on it off.
Speaker 1: Ain't you know?
Speaker 3: What I found is it's it is important to reach people where they are. And even if I'm skeptical sometimes that the network is covering things in good faith, I know lots of people who are tuning in faith and so in the same way that you know, back when I was running for president, I kind of specialized in counties that had voted for Obama and then for Trump. That that's how I want Iowa. Really it was partly through that kind of outreach and finding people who are not hardcore partisans but do usually get their information in a very certain and and I would argue very narrow way. I have a chance to as long as they'll have me on, I have a chance to pop that you know, puncture, that that bubble.
Speaker 4: Do you find anecdotal feedback that it's heard other than uh, you know, a clip going viral or something like that. Will you be at home in Michigan? Will you be somewhere? And soone that you know is more red partisan will say to you, hey, I caught you.
Speaker 3: On Yeah, I mean literally happened to me today. And to be clear, it's not like somebody says, you know, I was a rock rib Republican and I saw your four minute Fox News segment and I've seen the light and now I'm a Democrat. But you know, I do hear from people I know who are more conservative or probably don't usually vote the way I do. But they'll say, you know, I saw the way you laid things out. I think I think, you know, I understand where you're coming from, or I think the way you laid out could make sense and right. You know, I'm under no illusion that you can just you know, on the strength of a witty argument.
Speaker 1: Or a you know, man, are you preaching to him? Yep, you're right, but doesn't dude jank. But I get it. I get I get the conversation asiety.
Speaker 3: What is the point of having a conversation if you're not speaking to people who don't already agree with you?
Speaker 1: Son of a bitch. That's so smart and it's exactly the way. It's a b are you by the way, uh unbelievably tumultuous.
Speaker 4: I mean, week like eight days has it felt that way inside the administration? How did you find out about it? Is it in that situation? Does the president call everybody together and go, hey, everybody, uh got some news?
Speaker 1: Like how does that? How does it work?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I mean that would be a very long list of everybody to you know, to talk to. So I found out the way everybody did. I was I was actually on a plane fittingly enough, taxiing in and Jason was sitting next to me and checking Twitter and and and saw the post and uh so we found out that the same way everybody else did. And yeah, ever since, I think a lot of us, you know, our heads are spinning. So much has changed. But part of what's changed is this incredible energy that we have. Now. You know, I was home over the weekend stop by the field office for the now Harris campaign next where we live in.
Speaker 4: Did they literally just take the poster down and slap another one up?
Speaker 1: There? Is that?
Speaker 4: Like it's the same office with the same people pretty much.
Speaker 3: And that's okay because it's it's it's because it's it's the same values and it's the same effort, right, It's just yeah, now, I.
Speaker 1: Mean they're literally right, like.
Speaker 3: I will say that they got those yard signs already really quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but more's got to be a kin goes almost everywhere.
Speaker 3: You know, she obviously, you know, she represents a lot of continuity with the values of the Biden Harris campaign and the Biden Harris administration, but also a different messenger, a different style, of different approach, and people are clearly really fired up and excited about it.
Speaker 1: I know, I do you think is it? This is such a strange question.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if you've spoken to him or not, but like, do you think President Biden sees that and is like, oh, fine, like or is he like does that? I would imagine it would hurt your feelings. If that were me, it would it would hurt my feelings.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think I think part of what he achieved with what's a really extraordinary thing. I think even now we might be under selling how world historically rare it is to be literally the most powerful person, and it's lay power aside, right, just because it's the right thing to do, right. But in so I also think he's consolidated his own standing as one of America's great presidents, right, And I also think he's very conscious that that that means spreading through the tape and continuing to deliver for the next six What are the.
Speaker 1: Narrative about, Like they bullied him, he was bullied? Is that even can you do that to a president?
Speaker 4: Can you be like, get out and then the president will be like stop yetting it me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the thing, right. It was his call, and he made that call, and people made say those delegates were his right, yeah, I mean, and people may second guess, you know that the manner of it or the timing of it. But at the end of the day, it was his choice. He made that choice, and that must have been an extraordinarily difficult choice, but also the right choice.
Speaker 4: Now are you being so now it's she is on a vice presidential search? Are you being vetted right now? Would you know if you're being vetted right now? When they vet you, did you feel it?
Speaker 1: Is it a physical sensation you're being vetted?
Speaker 3: You know? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, you know when you're being vetted?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I may vet you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna vet you right now. Colease no?
Speaker 3: Please don't.
Speaker 1: Pretty pretty pretty good? All right? What does it require? Is there like, is there literally a physical exam that goes.
Speaker 3: Along with being vetted, not that I'm aware of, but I mean, look, all I should say about is that that you know she is going to make this decision. She's got a process.
Speaker 4: Oh god, she I mean everything you say, even that is being vetted. Probably it's so uncomfortable because don't aren't you Do you think the vetting process is different.
Speaker 1: To be in the administration, you probably have to go through a process.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In fact, I was thinking about it because I was vetted to be part of the cabinet, and then pretty soon after that, Tasseen and I were going through the process of adoption and you know, kind of the same thing, but with a social worker instead of a white shoe law firm. Really, I mean there's a lot of you know that the law firm is like, okay, now, you know, tell me about your finances, and you know, a year or two later is a social worker. He's like, tell me about your finances, and you go through a step by step. And one of the things you think about is the journey that an adoptive that adoptive parents go through, right, does it involve that kind of.
Speaker 1: You It's that the bar of adoption is that high.
Speaker 4: It's similar to like getting a high level security clearance position in government.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean not the exact same obviously, but but you know, like they overlap, right.
Speaker 4: Were there questions was there certain parts of the vetting process for government where you were like, you're gonna let me get away with that, Like was there anything like.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: If there was not? But if there was, would I describe it on television?
Speaker 1: This is this is cable's see. That's my my problem is.
Speaker 4: The vetting process because being vetted to be a road comic is the bar is don't die. But like for public service, if I've got pictures in a shoe box, that would disqualify me if you're working for the post office, like it's it's bad, but you you know, you were in the military, did things like pretty clean?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say anything, but it sounded to me right there like you're hiding something thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh when will they tell you?
Speaker 4: Do they come to you afterwards and say, hey, we're about to announce it and you made it to the quarterfinals and you were great, But do they like will they announce that or do you find out like on Twitter?
Speaker 3: Like everybody else, I don't know. What I know is that there's a flying form me.
Speaker 1: You're going to talk values again, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Probably, I probably think. No, it's good.
Speaker 1: Look she did.
Speaker 3: What I say is no matter what the flying formation is going to be, I'm really excited to be part of this. I'm excited to be part of this campaign because I really believe in it and and I feel that energy. I felt it on the ground.
Speaker 1: Over that You've been back out on the on the road since happened. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kicked off a canvass in the Traverse City Field office and it felt amazing. Just it was an energy I hadn't felt since I was campaigning in Michigan in twenty twenty two for the midterms, which went really well. So, you know, but as you memorably pointed out, you know, three or four months is forever, So a lot of things are gonna happen. There's gonna be a lot of ups and downs. It's gonna be a roller coaster. But I think we're ready for that, largely because we're I think now we're kind of we have a renewed awareness not just of what we're against but what we're for, right And I think that's really important.
Speaker 4: Well, the message before was literally it doesn't matter what you see that's worse, which is not.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not so compelling, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And people were those and I don't say that I don't see that to be disrespectful.
Speaker 4: It's just like it seems like, you know what people were experiencing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, look, there is a temptation to have our message be entirely about Donald Trump because we're so disturbed by what his return would mean, and maybe a little more also about Jade Vance because of how odd.
Speaker 1: Boyd he's turned out to me. I gotta tell you, boy, did that dude drop a turd on launch? Right?
Speaker 4: I've never seen anything like that where they were like one day they were like the heir to the Maga fortune and the Maga the.
Speaker 1: Prince j D shouton Martin. He comes out and he's like, I hate cat ladies.
Speaker 2: You know, it's rough.
Speaker 3: And you know it's just like systematically insulted so many people. It's not just the kind of things he said, but the policy ideas behind them, Like he has this idea that you should get extra votes if you have.
Speaker 1: Kids, extra votes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he suggested that that you should have extra votes if you're a parent. Really, I think there's lots of.
Speaker 1: You don't even get that in your own house.
Speaker 2: I'm a parent, you don't get anything true.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to find that. I mean, ours are not yet three. But and it's rooted in this strange idea that it's not just he doesn't just say that being a parent to you, you know, an important role as citizen, which I agree with, that it gives you unique perspective on the future. It's that not being a parent makes you less.
Speaker 1: Like I think that's absolutely how I feel, he said.
Speaker 3: He said, people who don't have children, this is a quote, have no physical commitment to the future of this country.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And I just think about how like, no physical commitment to the future. Like when I was deployed to Afghanistan. I didn't have kids back then, but I will tell you, especially when there was a rocket attack going on, my commitment to this country felt pretty pretty physical.
Speaker 1: They tell us.
Speaker 3: This is why.
Speaker 4: This is why people love seeing you go on through shows, because that framing is perfect because it does it points to that idea that who are you to tell what's in someone else's heart? About what they feel about the future or what they feel about this country. And the sacrifices that you made, as you said, without having had children, were tremendous.
Speaker 1: So it's shocking, and I also have.
Speaker 4: To address this sort of strange I think false populism on the right, economic populism. The Roberts Court has been the least worker friendly court and god knows how long their policies. You know, they complain about globalization hurting workers, and I do think that's a correct formulation. I think we didn't do enough in that moment, But I don't think they realize.
Speaker 1: What right to work states.
Speaker 4: You know, what they think Mexico is to the United States, Texas is to New York like it's a race to the bottom. And there's all kinds of studies that show right to work states depress wages, they depress worker safety, they do all kinds of terrible So what is this economic populism based on.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not based on policy, it's just language. It's this idea that if you just act like you are populists, that that counts as if. Look, I'm under no illusions that elections are just a policy exercise. A lot of it is vibes. A lot of it is style. But if your party has been systematically against unions, against a higher minimum wage, against things like paid family leave, against overtime, then just because you found Hulk Hogan and kid Rock and put him on stage, doesn't make you a friend of the working man, right like the substance after anat.
Speaker 1: Well, I would.
Speaker 4: Only say it does make you a friend of the workingman in the eighties, So I think I think that was helpful, do you in terms of that? I wonder you know, ever since Reagan, and I think democratic administrations have gone along with it too much as well, the shift from a labor economy to an investment economy and the penalties that labor faces versus you know, there's no question that equities and the investment market have done unbelievably well since you know, the eighties, right, and that labor has, you know, whilew much further behind.
Speaker 1: It's a shareholder economy.
Speaker 4: Why is it so difficult to get workers, forget about even unions, a place at the table at the companies. If these companies have done so well for their shareholders, why why can't the workers share in that prosperity In the same way as why can't they be shareholders?
Speaker 3: I think that's right, although I will say one thing that unions are increasingly doing is getting employees a chance to participate in that profit sharing for exactly that reason, right, and getting that seat at the table. But that's exactly why it matters, not just kind of what your style or your affect is, but what you're actually proposing to do. And I would say, you know, part of what we can be really proud of from the Biden Harris ears and I think in future a future Harris administration too, is a real focus on return a little more to a worker led economy or worker oriented economy that building things like yes, you know, the financialization, A lot of those trends have been very powerful in the role of the information economy, which has merged in some ways with manufacturing, because you know, even a car is increasingly you know, part car, part computer. But it's still really important that we make the cars here, and that's part of what we've been working to make happen. There was a manufacturing recession during Trump. Even before covid R, there was a manufacturing boom. Now you have to go back decades to find anything like this much investment in terms of the amount of places around the country right now where factories are being built.
Speaker 1: There was just a guy, it was I think it was the mayor.
Speaker 4: It was a city in Arizona, it might have been Mesa wrote an op ed almost saying exactly that he's a Republican and he's in a border town, and he was saying, I'm supporting Harris because of the investment active infrastructure, because of the JFZAC, because of what they tried to do, and maybe that is the key, is to get that out in those sorts of places where people might not normally hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I remember being a mayor in the industrial Midwest. And actually, the one time that Trump fooled me, I'll admit it, something he said he would do that I believed him, was when he said he was going to pass this big infrastructure law. I thought he would do it because it's good politically and why not. And of course he failed to do it. Joe Biden did, by the way, with a lot of involvement from Kamala Harris. And now it's something that I wish back when I was mayor that we had that kind of wind at our back. In the city.
Speaker 1: But it's terribly hard.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny. I went to his college. I thought for sure, I saw the ad and I went to it, and it turned out. I'm not a doctor, but I'll say this.
Speaker 3: I think the really important thing to watch with him isn't the promises that he broke, Like, yeah, he broke the promise about infrastructure, he broke the promise about six percent growth. He even broke the promise he made to that January sixth mob when he said he was going to be right there with him when they marched on the catre. But actually the promises he kept are the really interesting ones, because I think they tell you what the next Trump administration, if he got one, would be like. And he really kept too. One was the promise he made to the Christian Right to eliminate the right to choose, and the other was the promise he made to Corporate America to cut taxes for corporations in the wealthy. Those are the promises he followed through on. That's what he's about, Hulk Hogan or not.
Speaker 4: I think every that's great pe body tags. From now on, every political conversation in this country has to end with Hulk Hogan or not.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back after that.
Speaker 2: Everybody, go talk talk for tonight.
Speaker 1: We've only got tonight.
Speaker 4: We're gonna check in with your host for the rest of the week, mister Ronnie Chang, Ronnie Chang, everybody, so much, so much is going on, the speed of everything, Ronnie.
Speaker 1: What's coming up this week?
Speaker 9: Well, I'll be talking about the accusation that Trump's VP pig JD.
Speaker 1: Vans had sex with a couch.
Speaker 3: And let me just.
Speaker 9: Say, from my own personal investigation, it proves that it's really difficult, Ronnie.
Speaker 1: That's been debunked.
Speaker 4: It was just it was a dumb tweet somebody made up to make fun of Jdvans.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 9: Oh, okay, Well, do you know what a kios return policy.
Speaker 1: Ronnie Chang?
Speaker 4: Everybody, I, as an American, find it offensive that a nominee is being coronated like Kamala.
Speaker 1: What makes Kamala Harris a remarkable figure?
Speaker 7: We all oh Carmela a little bit of respect.
Speaker 2: Kamala, Kamala, Kamala, Mama, Mama.
Speaker 1: I don't know Kamala Harris. You can say, you can say Tamala.
Speaker 2: I couldn't care less if I mispronounced it or not.
Speaker 1: I couldn't care less.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 4: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts