Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hey everyone, it's justin Richmond. Over the last year I've been working on an absolute dream project over here at Pushkin, making a podcast for the one and only Sir Paul McCartney. The show's called McCartney A Life in Lyrics. It's available everywhere today and it's full of insightful conversations between McCartney and his friend, the poet Paul mull Doom. The two of them taped years of conversations digging into Paul's lyrics and songwriting process, and because it's hard to separate the art from the man, a lot of his personal life gets revealed too, like his relationship with his family in Liverpool, the success and breakup of the Beatles, his time with Wings and so much more. McCartney A Life in Lyrics dropped with two episodes today, one on eleanor Rigby and the one I'm presenting to you here now on Back in the USSR. If you love music and songwriting and have ever wanted the chance to be a fly on the wall for a conversation with the Beatle, then McCartney A Life and Lyrics will not disappoint to binge all the first season right away subscribe to pushkin Plus on Apple Podcasts and all twelve episodes will be there waiting for you. In the meantime, here's Paul mldoon and Paul McCartney on Back in the USSR for their new podcast, McCartney A Life and Lyrics enjoy At the height of the Cold War, with.
Speaker 2: The closing of the border, Soviet divisions in East Germany were on the move, with combat forces brought into strategic positions for the contest over the status of Berlin.
Speaker 3: At a time when two halves of the world were separated by an iron curtain. On the brink of nuclear war, the Beatles released Well, a strange kind of rock and roll song, be sing I'm formal dou I'm a poet, a lover of not only the lyric poem, but the song lyric might be. Over the past several years, I've got to spend time with one of the greatest songwriters of our era.
Speaker 1: And will you look at me?
Speaker 3: It's happened.
Speaker 4: I'm going up to I'm actually a performer.
Speaker 3: That's sir Paul McCartney. He and I worked on a book together, looking at the lyrics of more than one hundred and fifty of his songs, and we recorded many hours of our conversations.
Speaker 4: Oh she I'm a songwriter.
Speaker 5: My God will that that cryptor homie.
Speaker 3: This is McCartney, a life in lyrics. It's a masterclass, a memoir, and an improvised journey with one of the most iconic figures in popular music in this episode. Back in the.
Speaker 2: USSR, mobilization efforts during the last months of nineteen sixty one brought the United States Army to a strength of over a million men, subsequently increasing our troops strength throughout Europe.
Speaker 3: It's hard to imagine just how puzzling it would have been in nineteen sixty eight to hear a song about somebody being happy to leave the West and go back to the Soviet Union. Only a few months before, Russian tanks had rolled into Prague to crack down on protests against Soviet control. This nineteen sixty at report from ABC News highlights the extent of the operation.
Speaker 6: Russian tanks and infantry, aided by troops from East Germany, Hungary, Poland, and Bulgaria, have occupied Czechoslovakia and have crushed the new and relatively liberal leadership of that small country.
Speaker 3: The way this song turns the cultural and political world order on its head is what makes it the joke of an era. As was often the case for McCartney, he drew inspiration from what was happening in the wider world as well as from the songs that were playing on his radio.
Speaker 4: Chuck Berry wrote a song called Back in the US, which we were very familiar with, and so I kind of thought it was. It was kind of cool. It was obviously a serviceman returning home, going back into the ux going back into his home civilization.
Speaker 3: Chuck Berry had come back from a trip to Australia where he had witnessed the dismal living conditions of the indigenous population, and he wrote this song as a kind of anthem to his glorious USA.
Speaker 4: From the.
Speaker 3: Delaware, glossing over the struggles of the American civil rights movement at the time. Berry's song is a celebration of capitalism and the economic boom of the nineteen fifties, of drive ins and sizzling Hamburgers. Paul McCartney and the BS loved Chuck Berry, and they loved this upbeat, celebratory anthem. But not a decade at best. The Vietnam War was a total failure, and the world's love affair with American culture had started to wear off.
Speaker 4: There was a little bit two pro us because we were in the UK, so I could pokephone at it in my own way. And when I saw that US SR was kind of similar, then I realized I could sit back in the US. I could do a little parody on Chuck's idea of being back, and I would have a Russian guy who'd come from America and was glad to be back in Russia, and he'd come it come from Miami on BOAC British Overseasys Corporation.
Speaker 2: Badman kind of Bia to the second generation of jet airliners.
Speaker 3: The speaker of the song the protagonist flies back to the Soviet Union with the glamour of modern jet travel, like that showcased in this nineteen sixty four ad for BOAC.
Speaker 2: In the economy class, the standard is so high that passengers can easily persuade themselves.
Speaker 3: But they're VIPs traveling.
Speaker 7: First one medium drive, vodkom Ma team mixed.
Speaker 3: Like you said, So, who is this man? It's easy to imagine him as a kind of suave jet setter, fluent in many languages, lots of charm, maybe like a James Bond type. The Prime Minister's talked to Moscow.
Speaker 4: They're saying it was an accident during a routine training exercise.
Speaker 7: Governments change the lasted, except he wouldn't be reporting to MI I six or Damn Judy Dench rather the KGB.
Speaker 3: He's flying home from Miami. He's just been to sunny Florida, maybe hanging out on the beach, which gets us to the bridge. If the verse is setting up a joke, the punchline is the bridge when our protagonist starts listing the territories of the former Soviet Union Girls Wesbians, saying the harmonies of the bridge were inspired by the Beach Boys. In fact, when the Beatles went to India in nineteen sixty eight to meditate My Love Off, the Beach Boys was there too. He is even claimed in several interviews that he gave McCartney the idea for that part of the song.
Speaker 1: For the Beach Boys fit into this, well.
Speaker 4: They were big influencers round about the time. So this as I'm doing a parody of Chuck, and I'm doing it. I'm doing it American, but it's a it's a Russian guy having all the sentiments, So I'm using stuff from the Beach Boys for the parody. So when I'm going Ukraine Girls really knocked me out, I'm thinking California, your girls and knocking me out West beyond.
Speaker 8: Say and Show.
Speaker 4: I think I was very lucky, as I say, when I hit this little humorous vein, it seemed to just sort of flow. So I hear, I know what I'm doing. Now it's in the middle. So now I'm going to go into detail about the countries and the territories. So we got Ukraine, and we've got Moscow, and we've got Georgia. Well, if I say Georgia, I think of the old American song Georgia on my Mind, which I would be thinking of the Ray Charles Georgia on my.
Speaker 9: Mind, Georgia, Georgia.
Speaker 3: Ray Charms Homestead of Georgia is suddenly transformed into the Soviet satellite nation of Georgia. And now the joke is complete, leaving behind the sun and fun of Miami and Oh sweet Georgia. We break through the wall, eager to get back into the USSR on board r BOAC. Yet I don't think I ever understood at the time that BOAC was in the first line. I'm not sure if I ever.
Speaker 4: Quite understood what it was. Yeah, that does that horrifying you? No, not at all. I mean I'm still finding things in these lyrics, but I do sometimes think, I mean, particularly about this one, how amazingly ancient all the ideas are. Now there isn't a USSR anymore. There isn't a BOAC, and I often wonder, like you didn't get it. I don't think the kids get it. I'm not sure they know what USSR was. It's just it's a rock and roll song. But I mean, obviously the joke is that identified back in the US.
Speaker 10: Back in the US, back in the USSR.
Speaker 3: We one song has an upbeat, rock and roll energy. The subtext of the lyrics is certainly more bittersweet. The Soviet Union at the time was a totalitarian state with strong censorship in place.
Speaker 4: You know, it was always gray. So I mean, when I'm writing this song, it's very much tongue in cheek, I'm not really thinking there's anything for this guy to go back to. You know. I remember when we first went to Berlin and to look over the.
Speaker 2: Wall, aware of their special responsibility is on this trouble spot between the free and communist worlds. American soldiers of the Berlin Garrison are combat ready and alert.
Speaker 4: To me, I just knew there was like a vast, great expense that was beyond this wall and that we were all in.
Speaker 2: Technical people in Eastern Germany continue to risk their lives to escape to the free world.
Speaker 4: Everyone in Russia who goes back to the Beatles period remembers having to smuggle records or it was all very you know, little rooms where you could play and you didn't want people to know. You didn't want the authorities to know that you were listening to this forbidden group, which really we loved the idea of that that we were getting smuggled along with Levi Jeans. This was like true cultural arrival.
Speaker 3: A little over a decade after the fall of the Soviet Union, McCartney really did arrive when he was invited to give a concert on Red Square in Moscow, and when he played back in the US s R. He felt the whole crowd rise and join in the song. During his time in Russia, this was two thousand and three, McCartney got to meet a young Vladimir Putin, then serving his first term as president. There's actually a new clip of the occasion, and you see Puttin and McCartney sitting across from each other like two statesmen. And then Paul McCartney pops the question.
Speaker 4: You were growing up, did you listen to the Beatles?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 8: Missing, Yes, it was extremely popular. It was like a velp of freedom. Her music was like an open window to the world.
Speaker 4: It was it was bound by the authority Shires.
Speaker 8: It was considered at this time a propaganda of some alien ideology.
Speaker 3: It would have seemed unimaginable then that twenty years later the same man would order Russian troops to invade Ukraine, an act of war unparalleled in Europe since the end of the Second World War, cracking down on any protest, arresting journalists, assassinating political enemies, jailing young women for singing in churches, once again closing the window to the outside world. My conversation with Paul McCartney took place before the current war, but during our time together we often spoke about the subversive nature of art and how throughout history music has served as a beacon of freedom.
Speaker 4: Art is dangerous to some people. We always thought that we were on the right side that if we were dangerous, we were dangerous to the Russian authorities and to us that said they're not that good. It's sort of that was how we felt, and I think it was true to a large extent that they were trying to suppress this Western influence and it goes on. You know, I know there was a pear when you thought, oh, it's all clear enough, but it's actually suppression is back big time. You know. It's sort of many countries now and it's sort of been given a free pass and everyone's gonna stimied and sort of saying no, please, don't do that. But I mean, God knows what the politics and the realities are behind it for any rate. So for me, it's kind of nice to just escape into a song like this.
Speaker 11: Blew Me by Miami bt b u Ecto bed last night on the way the paperbag was on the knee.
Speaker 6: Man, I had a bad ball.
Speaker 11: I'm us being away on hardly you place.
Speaker 3: Gee, it's good to be back home.
Speaker 11: Either doing back back.
Speaker 3: Case back in the U.
Speaker 8: S s R.
Speaker 3: From the nineteen sixty eight record titled The Beatles, also known as the White Album. In the next episode, Paul McCartney tells us about how his late mother visited him in a dream and gave him some words of wisdom.
Speaker 5: Seeing her beautiful, kind face was very confident. I immediately felt at ease and loved.
Speaker 3: One of the Beatles' last hits, Let It Be, is an answer to the band's inner turmoil and to Hamlet's age old question to be or not to be? McCartney A Life in Lyrics is a co production between iHeartMedia NPL and Pushkin Industries.