Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Monday, March thirty. First, welcome to your Morning Run.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robox and I'm TJ Holmes. And on the Monday Morning Run, is this hopeful or not? Another possible cease fire on the table between Israel and Hamas. Also this morning, a handful of rescues keep hope alive in me and Mark where the death toll continues to climb following Friday's massive earthquake.
Speaker 1: And many thought President Trump was joking when he's talked about a third term in office. Well he's made it very clear now that he's serious. And speaking of Sirius, President Trump says, get ready. More tariffs are coumbing this week, calling one of them the Big One.
Speaker 2: Plus this morning, Prince Harry is being accused of bullying and harassment. Also a big change at the White House. Corresponding to dinner, they are dropping the comedian problem is they had already hired one.
Speaker 1: And a lot of talk today about country musician Morgan Wallen abruptly walking off the NSL set Saturday night, followed by a cryptic social media post. Plus award winning actor Richard Chamberlain passed away over the weekend at the age of ninety.
Speaker 2: Oh, so the final four is set, and it's a final four like we've only seen one other time before. Also, well, we don't ever want to see this again. An ugly scene at an NBA game over the weekend, five players, two coaches thrown out and suspensions might be coming.
Speaker 1: And poor snow White in just its second week at the box office, a disastrous drop in an already dismal showing for the Disney film.
Speaker 2: But we're going to try to find a way this morning with snow White. We are going to endorse the film in a way. We've been talking about this a lot, and we saw the movie, but then we appreciated and enjoyed it more after we started listening to the soundtrack afterwards. Really, it's really something to behold, and we want to lift this movie up. It seems like it's nothing but bad news for this movie.
Speaker 3: That's true. We have enjoyed parts of it after the fact.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, but we want to start this morning with a sign of possible progress. Hamas has agreed to a proposed ceasefire deal with Israel. Israel hasn't agreed to a damn thing yet and has continued its promised military offensive.
Speaker 1: In fact, ten people were killed, including five children, in an Israeli air strike, according to health officials in Gaza. That attack came on Eid, which wraps up the holiest time of the year from Muslims, and it comes as Hamas agreed to a ceasefire deal that was proposed by Egypt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As part of that deal, Hamas would release five living hostages. Israel would again allow aid to flow into Gaza. Both sides would agree to a four to day ceasefire, among other things. But all of that was not good enough for Israel, which countered the proposal and demanded more hostages be released.
Speaker 1: Israel broke the previous ceasefire about two weeks ago with a surprise bombardment of strikes that killed four hundred people. Israel at the time said it was frustrated with the lack of progress after the first phase that the ceasefire ended on more mar First, let's hope that this may maybe a baby step towards another ceasefire, and.
Speaker 2: We go to our next leg where you just said the word hope. Ropes. They're certainly holding on to it overseas now with a growing death toll from the earthquake that rocked Meanmar and Thailand. As of this recording, at least seventeen hundred people are confirmed dead, another thirty four hundred injured. More than one hundred others still remain missing.
Speaker 1: So rescues are underway as we speak. In fact, earlier this morning, search crews were able to free four more people from collapse buildings in me and mar That was three days ago that this earthquake hit. So among them was a pregnant woman, a young girl. In Bangkok, at least eighteen people were killed with that earthquake, including eleven in a high rise building under construction that completely collapsed.
Speaker 2: Okay, so desperate searches continue now. They got cranes involved, dog sniffers involved, looking for more than seventy people who are believed to be buried under the rubble. The searches are happy in difficult conditions. Temperatures are above one hundred degrees and there have been numerous after shocks and even second recorded earthquake, A second one that was I think that was a pretty good It was.
Speaker 1: A five point one, a five point one earthquake. Also adding to all of this chaos, Me and Mar is embroiled in a four year civil war. So on Sunday, the National Unity government announced it would implement a two week pause in offensive military operations in the areas affected by the earthquake. The military government in Me and Maar has not made a similar announcement, so it's really unclear right now what's going to happen with the fighting as search and rescue operations are underway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so far, China, Russia, India have also in emergency teams and supplies to the area, in addition to Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam as well. The US has sent nothing yet today, but has pledged to help. Yesterday, the US Embassy and Mianmar announced on its website that the US would provide up to two million dollars in aid that would be disseminated through humanitarian groups based in the area.
Speaker 1: Well next up on the run, we have heard President Trump talk about a third term before. We've even recently reported on a Tennessee congressman who proposed amending the twenty second Amendment for another term for Trump. But you know what, it all seemed pretty far fetched. However, we're now learning it doesn't seem that way to President Trump.
Speaker 2: Have we not learned yet to take this man at his word? Yesterday, Trump told NBC News that he is not joking about trying to serve a third term as president, saying there are methods which you could do it. When asked if one way to do it would be to have Vice President jd. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump answered, well, that's one, but there are others too. When asked to give another way, he refused to elaborate.
Speaker 1: So the twenty second Amendment, in case you need a little refresher, was added to the Constitution back in nineteen fifty one to make sure that no person is elected to the office of president more than twice. This was put in place after FDR was elected four times in a row. Now, some legal experts who have weighed in on Trump's latest statements believe it would require an extraordinary, if not impossible, level of support from elected officials, the courts, and of course the voters.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're suggesting that Trump is instead talking about a third term to show as much strength as possible, knowing that he's trying to be anything other than a lame duck president.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 2: Trump will be eighty two at the end of his second term as president. With so much talk about age in the last round of the presidential election, I can't imagine folks being on board with me. Eighty two, My goodness, most stressful job in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when asked, why would you want to still work at eighty two, he just said.
Speaker 3: I like working.
Speaker 2: I believe it when he says that I do too. But a third term, he says, he's not joking. This is not going to go away. Everything that we've heard that we thought was far fetched, he ends up doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, if he's already talking about it three months into his second term, you know it's on his mind now. It's certainly going to be on his mind in a year or two from now.
Speaker 2: All Right, we'll get to You're on the run here with some more Trump. This time we're talking tariffs, and President Trump says, you ain't seen nothing yet. What he called the big one is coming this week and markets, world leaders, all of us just bracing ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly, And it's on April second, that's this Wednesday, is what President Trump has dubbed Liberation day, when the White House will announce a whole new round of tariffs. The President says, these are reciprocal tariffs that will apply to all countries.
Speaker 2: And keep in mind, this is going to be different from the auto tariffs we've already heard about, from the steel tariffs already announced, and different from the tariffs aimed directly at certain countries Canada, Mexico, China, Venezuela, the EU with the wine and the liquor tariffs.
Speaker 3: I can't keep them all straight, babe, I just can't.
Speaker 2: Well, you're going to have a good time on Wednesday, because he's announcing a whole new round this coming. So the markets already have seen this morning, the futures at least of this recording. The markets aren't liking what they're seeing, and all the markets are scheduled, at least the ones here in the US look like they're going to end the month down based on all this chaos we've seen in this month.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think that he's named April second Liberation Day to avoid doing it tomorrow, which is April Fool's Day?
Speaker 3: And he might think people think he's kidding.
Speaker 2: I don't ever think he's kidding, even on April fools. Whatever announcement he makes, I'll take.
Speaker 3: Him word all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on our Run. We talked here last week about Prince Harry expressing his devastation in his shock after stepping down from a charity he founded in honor of his mother. Well, now the executive director of that charity has come out firing against Prince Harry, saying, hey, we got it all wrong, and she accused Prince Harry of bullying and harassment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sophiechendolca is her name. She's the head of Cinta Bali and she gave an extended interview to Sky News in which she says Harry made the announcement that he was leaving the organization without telling her or anyone else at the charity. He announced his departure last week as patron of Cinti Bali, which is an Africa based charity that helps children with HIV AIDS.
Speaker 1: Prince Harry helped start the organization twenty years ago as a tribute to his late mother. Princess Diana. Chandoka has claimed mismanagement, misconduct and abuse of power at the charity. She said Prince Harry's resignation is an example of the bullying and called it an attack on her and the five hundred and forty people who work for the organization.
Speaker 2: She went as far as saying Harry's toxicity, she used that word, his toxicity was a challenge for the charity. Even said she was asked to do positive pr for Megan Markle but didn't want the charity to become part of the quote Sussex pr machine.
Speaker 3: Oooh.
Speaker 1: This is apparently all part of an internal power struggle in which the board wanted the executive director removed, but she has taken legal action to prevent from getting let go. I mean, it's a whole big, ugly mass that's just spilling out. And we remember what Prince Harry said last week. He said what's transpired is unthinkable. We are in shock that we have to do this. Who knows, he said, She said thing right now, And sadly it's being displayed for the world to see.
Speaker 2: It's spilling out publicly unfortunately. And like we talked about here last week as well, this was something that was part of improving his public image. You know, it was in honor of his mother. This has to be something that's very important and special to him, but some of the accusations, I mean, she didn't hold back. It was tough and some of what she said. But more to come on that for sure. Stay here with us on this morning run. When we come back the White House Correspondence Dinner. You know that annual spectacle, Well it's gonna look dinner gonna look different this year, and you know what one comedian is actually having to bear the brunt of it. Will explain. Also coming up, why did Morgan Wallin walk off stage at SNL and why is everybody chiming in on that? Also, Richard Chamberlain has passed away if you haven't seen that news over the weekend, and the final four is set and it's a final four like we've only seen once before. We continue now on our Monday Morning ron with the annual spectacle that is the White House Correspondence Dinner. It is going to be re envisioned this year. We're told they could have told amber Roughin that ahead of time, though the comedian was slated to be the performer at this year's dinner, but she was abruptly dropped over the weekend.
Speaker 1: In fact, the head of the White House Correspondence Association said They're board voted unanimously to drop her from the program. You hear that and you think, well, gosh, is she being canceled? What did she do? Here's the deal. The answer is nothing.
Speaker 2: She did nothing, folks. But the head of the Correspondence Association explained it this way, and I quote, at this consequential moment for journalism, I want to ensure the focus is not on the politics of division, but entirely on awarding our colleagues for their outstanding work and providing scholarship and membership to the next generation of journalists. Fine, knock yourself out, do that. But they announced Amber Ruffin as the comedic performer two months ago. So what happened in the past two months that made you go from wanting her and having this event to where we are now. This had to be more than simply a change of heart. So what was it? Well, your guess is as good as are. We don't have an answer. I'm sorry I set that up like we had an answer.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they said there will be a re envisioning for our dinner and details will come later. The dinner is on April twenty six, and she's.
Speaker 3: A long time comedian and writer.
Speaker 1: She's been with The Seth Meyers Show for six years, and when she was announced as the comedian, the headlining comedian for the Dinner, the Correspondence Association described her this way.
Speaker 2: This is great, all right, we quote them. Keep in mind what we just said right now, listen to what they say about it.
Speaker 3: This is what they said about Amber Ruffin.
Speaker 1: Her unique talents are ideal for this current political and cultural climate. Her perspective will fit right in with the dinner's tradition of honoring the freedom of the press while rose the most powerful people on all sides of the aisle and the journalists who cover them.
Speaker 2: I don't get how you go from that to all of a sudden now as a consequential moment for journalism, and we want to ensure the focus is not on the politics of the vision. And you just said she was perfect for this because she's perfect for the political and cultural climate that we are currently in. How what happened in two months?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And also, look, I haven't been to the Dinner in many years, but I have gone repeatedly, I'd say at least four or five times over my years. As a journalist, and this is usually just a fun, lighthearted event where yeah, there is roasting, but it's all in good fun. The comedians make fun of politicians on both sides of the aisle.
Speaker 3: They make fun of journalists, they make fun of the relationships between the two.
Speaker 1: It's so fun for everyone just to put their egos.
Speaker 3: Aside and laugh together.
Speaker 1: And that's what it's traditionally been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a lot of folks their eyes looking at this spectacle in DC of these people patting themselves on the back, dressed up, laughing and hooton and holler, and with the politicians that they're supposed to actually be covering. That is a criticism of this event.
Speaker 1: But we should point out the president himself, other than President Trump, has always or when I had been there, always participated and also joined in on the fun making jokes at themselves and at others. So it was everybody was in on it. Nobody was being targeted.
Speaker 2: Obama was great. You can remember some of his I remember George W. Bush, he was paid along. Trump has not been to one of these as president. He has attended in the past. In fact, I was there in attendance at one of them, and actually talked to him in Milania and the question I asked him, you think you're going to be up on that stage delivering the remarks one of these days. This was before he ran for president, and that we didn't know he was running at the time.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And that was the last time I was at the Correspondence dinner. But it's just bizarre, and I hated for Amber. We have interviewed her and have been an her and she's a wonderful talent. And to just get dropped for what some will deem political correctness reasons for it. You're trying to play Kate in some way somebody. But that's just forth so.
Speaker 1: The irony and the anti wokeness campaign that is that she would somehow get canceled because of Yeah, the exact same.
Speaker 3: Reason, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on our run another story that had a lot of people chirping this weekend. Country singer Morgan wall And tried an Irish exit from Saturday Night Live. The problem is he didn't do it right because everybody saw it.
Speaker 2: Is that the point nobody knowing.
Speaker 1: An Irish exit is when you leave and nobody notices, and all of a sudden you look around and say Hey, where did so and so go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well everybody saw where Morgan Wahan went. Okay, this is what happened. He was a musical performer on SNL this weekend and at the end of the show he walked off stage. He didn't stick around for that traditional goodbye. You know it and you know it well, it is the part at the end when the show is done. The hosts just come back and they say thanks for being here, goodbye, and then the music plays and the credits roll. As the credits rolling music's playing, you see the cast and the host kind of mingling playfully on stage, hugging each other and making some jokes and some cracks. But we all kind of stick around and watch. It's fun to see their interaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that started to happen. Mikey Madison was the host. She said goodbye to the audience while on was standing next to her. As soon as she said the goodbye, she hugged him. He gave her kind of a half hug and then just bounced. He walked right off the stage through the audience, directly towards the camera, walked past the camera and was gone.
Speaker 2: The worst Irish exit.
Speaker 3: And then here's this.
Speaker 1: Later in a social media post, he wrote, get me to God's Country, accompanied by a picture that appeared to be taken out of the window of a plane. So he was leaving New York City quickly. No official word on what this was all about, but he has had a controversial history with SNL. He was supposed to be the performer in twenty twenty, but then he was dropped after the video service to him flagrantly breaking COVID protocols.
Speaker 3: He also got caught.
Speaker 1: With a racial slur, so there's been a lot of controversy around him, and some people were even wondering why he was invited back to be the musical guest.
Speaker 3: In the first place.
Speaker 1: Clearly he didn't want to be there, and I don't think there are a lot of people out there who didn't want him to be there either.
Speaker 2: But if you go see the video today, is just kind of hilarious. I mean, it could be completely innocent. He wasn't thinking about anything other than Okay, the show's over. This is the way I've been coming on too stage and off stage he walks right off the front of the stage, folks. I'm not saying he didn't go to the side as of steps he walks.
Speaker 1: I think the personally watching it, I think he did it on purpose. I think he did it to make a statement. And the reason why I think that is because he did walk right through the camera. He knows exactly what he was doing. Number one and number two because they rehearse this. I mean they go through rehearsals very specifically. And then to that tweet, I'm sorry, like that is just basically get me the heck out of New York City.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think the two are.
Speaker 3: They're related, in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Is what everybody was, and they will continue to be buzzing about that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, A passing to tell you about actor Richard Chamberlain, died over the weekend at the age of ninety from complications following a stroke. If you're of a certain age, you know his name. Some of you may not, but this was a household name in my home growing up. My mom was a fan of the nineteen eighty three television series The Thornbirds. I always I don't know why I remember her watching that in our home, but I certainly do. Chamberlain played a priest who fell in love with the local girl, that role winning him his third Golden Globe.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was That's what the show was about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was okay spicy.
Speaker 2: He was Nover's award winning role in another nineteen eighties hit TV mini series, Showgun. He had breakout role. Nineteen sixty one, he was cast as the lead role on Doctor Kilkildare as that in the TV medical drama had the same name, Doctor Kildare. Chamberlain also had success as Jason Bourne opposite Jacqueline Smith and The Bourne Identity, which was nineteen eighty eight. Now that was a two part TV movie. That role made even more famous a few years later by Matt Damon on the big screen.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize he was actually the original Jason Bourne. And it wasn't until two thousand and three that Chamberlain finally came out as gay in his memoir that was titled Shattered Love, and his lifelong partner shared this message on Chamberlain's passing. He wrote, our beloved Richard is with the angels now he is free and soaring to those loved ones before us. How blessed we were to have known such an amazing and loving soul. Love never dies, and our love is under his wings, lifting him to his next great adventure. I thought that was a really beautiful nod to him and to their love and to how he lived his life.
Speaker 2: You know, I jumped out of me there twenty two thousand and three. That was twenty two years ago that I have that right. And he was ninety years old to think that he was seventy yeah, before he came out, before people knew he was gay. Just what he life was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a heart throb.
Speaker 1: So he was considered that leading man that all the girls were swooning over. You know, I think that might be why my mom liked watching Thornbird. So when he had that stature of being a ladies man, basically, I think it was you know, he talked about how difficult it was for him to come out in Hollywood at that time for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 2: All Right, we will continue here on the run on this Monday morning with the final four. It is set. You probably watched a lot of this over the weekend and a surprise, of course, we watched every bounce of the ball this weekend, and that was a surprise. Now in the final four. The surprise is that all four number one seeds are going to the final four. Now, they're the best teams, why wouldn't they be going. Well, the thing is this usually does not happen. This is quite a surprise because this is only the second time in the history of the tournament that all four number one seeds have made it to the final four. So you got Auburn, Duke Houston in Florida. The last time that all four number seeds were in the final four, that was in two thousand and eight. So these are the best teams. But this has been a tournament that some have criticized or complained about to a certain degree. We didn't have any cinderellas all high seeds. Arkansas was the cinderella. That was a ten seed that shouldn't have been a cinderella. But we just don't have the big upsets like we were used to seeing. But yes, all four number one seed So going to the final.
Speaker 3: Four, all right.
Speaker 1: And on the women's side, the final four will be determined by the end.
Speaker 3: Of the day today.
Speaker 1: UCLA and South Carolina are already in Connecticut is playing number one seed usc and number one seed Texas plays TCU later today, so we'll have those results by tomorrow and next up on our run. Well, it was more of a skirmish than a brawl, but still it was not pretty last night as a scuffle between players during an NBA game spilled into the first couple of rows of fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This was in the second quarter of the game Minneapolis last night between the Timberwolves and the Detroit Pistons. Now, after a file, which wasn't that dramatic of a file, a couple of the players got a little mouthy, a little chesty with each other. It turned into a shoving match that involved all players on the court and even some coaches. It was a huge scrum of players and coaches, many of them ended up. Yeah, and the lapse of fans who were seated in the first couple of row at the baseline. So five coaches, excuse me, five players? Two coaches ejected, No, I didn't see. I went through this video a lot didn't see a lot of swinging and punches, and that certainly will get you an automatic suspension. But it's just ugly. It's ugly if it would have happened just on the court, But when you see fans start to be I guess pawns or the victims if you will. Yeah, collateral damage in that this is an ugly scene that the NBA is going to do something about it. It looks awful.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't just two coaches. It was a head coach, right, Detroit's head.
Speaker 2: Coach j bicker Staff.
Speaker 1: His name is Yes, I was just as a bicker Staff.
Speaker 3: Well, that's ironic.
Speaker 2: And you know why bicker Staff got thrown out because he was bickering with an assistant coach from the other team. They were chomping at each other. So just you see the video. This wasn't much, but it looked like a whole lot and that's going to be.
Speaker 1: A problem for this It's just embarrassing to even see that happening at that level. All right, And for the final leg of our run, well, a bit of surprise at the box office this weekend, A working Man beat snow White. Jason Statham's new movie, Yes it is called a working Man was number one at the weekend box office.
Speaker 2: So snow White, of course, opened last weekend, came in second. Sure, snow White has gotten a lot of flak lately. It was still though widely expected to be able to hold on and even easily to the number one spot, given it had limited major competition, but the bad reviews, bad word of mouth, and controversy seemed to have doomed this movie. It had a sixty six percent drop off from last weekend's box office. What that means is there was a sixty seven percent drop off in how much money it made. That is a disastrous drop off for a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a working Man brought in just fifteen point two million dollars in the domestic box office. Snow White brought in a little over fourteen million. Snow White cost more than two hundred and fifty million to make. It's made one hundred and forty three point one month total worldwide. So they still have a long and winding road to even break even on this one, and that may not happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll tell you. It's like no shot. Yeah at this point. But we went and saw the movie and we understood that some of the criticism wasn't just people hating on it because of the controversy. People took issue with the film and that's fine, just as just on its merits, right. But we went back and we listened to the soundtrack, and we have been listening to it constantly and we have been running to it. Even the music is once again, we appreciate it more when we hear it and not see it on screen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we made it known.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was not a fan of the movie, and I love Disney movies, but I just wasn't a fan of this one and had nothing to do with the controversies.
Speaker 3: So I think maybe watching.
Speaker 1: It and hearing the music created a different feeling when I've just been listening. We've been listening to the music just around the house, like you said, and all of a sudden, like, Okay, I like this song now, and so it's growing on me for sure.
Speaker 3: And you read like you're a huge fan.
Speaker 2: Of Oh cue good Things grow. Oh my goodness, you've been humming. Oh I love that song. I've been running to it the Good Things. It is amazing. And Rachel Zegler think what you want. But she is an immense talent. She is she is so so hey, if you think about seeing the movie, try this first. Listen to the soundtrack. Ya, go listen to the music, and it will make you excited. I think a little more about the movie. You might think what you want about the movie, but the music's great.
Speaker 3: I agree, we can all agree on that.
Speaker 2: And here we are given Disney an endorsement. I think that's some stuff.
Speaker 1: All right. We'd like you to consider this as you go about your day to day on this Monday, this last day of March.
Speaker 3: Here is your quote of the day.
Speaker 2: Don't let somebody else's opinion of you become your reality.
Speaker 3: I have to remind myself of this sometimes. I think we all do.
Speaker 1: But it's it's good to remember that that we can't give away our power. And I think in a lot of different ways. We all do it in little ways throughout the day, but in big ways sometime, and this is one of them. So this spoke to me this morning, so I'll say it one more time for everybody as you get about your day today, don't let someone else's opinion of you become your reality. And with that, thank you for running with us on this Monday morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Ami Robot and I'm TJ. Holmes. We'll see you back here on the run tomorrow, folks,