Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on these are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. In sv podcast, I'm Lie as a Trigger.
Speaker 1: And I'm Kara Klank and you guys know by now it's sv recaps, true crime, interviews, etc. But at the top of the episode we just talk about whatever. As of this recording, as of this release date of this episode, I'll be driving cross country with my family in a car, and I hope you're all praying for me, because I really don't know how this is going to go. Everyone's like, this is going to be such a core memory for your kids. They're gonna love it. I'm like, yeah, I'm just like really hoping it's not them being like another day in the car. It's like, we can't change the plan. Like, once we get in the car and start, we have to get to the other side. So that's what is what is the path? The path is like Vegas, which is fun. I'm excited. Three of my college friends are going to be there. You know, I love Vegas. Uh. Then Grand Canyon Arches National Park, which is in Utah, Denver, Cheyenne. Uh, what's it called? The faces? Mount Rushmore? Mount Rushmore, which I've never seen either is jared. And then across to Chicago and we'll be in Chicago for like three nights, which will be fun. And then West Virginia, New Jersey. Face. You're going from Chicago West Virginia, No fucking way, oh stopping stopping. There's a couple of cities in between them. We're stopping Indye for like one night.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're stopping in Indie. Break it up. Like We're also going to like Lacrosse, Wisconsin. I guess I should say all the city, so if anybody knows any of these more random places. I am staying in Sioux Falls. I am staying in Lacrosse, Wisconsin. I thought about the Wisconsin Dells. I thought about it, although my friends that went there last all came back with COVID, so I wasn't sure if it was the right move, but it like worked better for our route to go. We're going to just stop and like, look, it's like a college town and on a river, so I thought we'll just stop there. And then Chicago, Indie, West Virginia, New Jersey, and then onto Connecticut and them Verre Month. So it's going to be and then are you renting a car? Are you driving back home? You're driving our own car. Oh, then you're driving back. Jared's driving it back. I'm flying back with the kids because the kids will be late for school, like they're always late for school because of this, So we've got to like we can't do like a road trip back, and also they can't be in the car for like ten hour days. So he's going to do like the hot like the quick way back like three or four days with his parents. He's going to pick him back up in West Virginia and he's going to go have a little I thought it would just be him and his dad like the movie Nebraska, but his mom wants to come to so yeah, he's gonna have some fun. Damn does he have goals on the journey back. He's in the midst of planning that. He's been very busy, but he's yeah, he's trying to figure out like because the way back, like the best way to go is just I think I think it's either called root seven year route eighty. I don't. You don't have to message me about it. It's just one major route that goes all the way across the country and I've done it before and it's just like super boring. It's like Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Like it's so boring until you get to like Wyoming and then it gets kind of pretty, but it's very boring. So I don't know if they're going to try to do a little bit more of an exciting route, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I'm I've never seen the Grand Canyon. It's still one of my hopes and dreams.
Speaker 1: It's really I've been there, but Jared hasn't, and the kids obviously, so it's and I went in twenty two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: This isn't my joke, but someone's like, before they fill it up with axe body spray?
Speaker 1: Is that from something from Overton in a movie comic. I don't know. I know it's not from my own brain, but that is that is so wait, I'm googling to see if I can find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really want to see the Grand Canyon. I don't have any travel plans at all, going to a wedding on and in New Year's but that's all.
Speaker 1: I guess. Oh, but you can always do a last minute thang, right, Yeah, you never know what can what can happen? Never, that joke is unfortunately not popping up. I guess maybe it's my brain. No, it's great. That's a great fucking joke. I'd love to see the Grand Canyon before they fill it up with xbodi's. I mean, with the way this country is going, who fucking knows.
Speaker 2: I've actually like, usually my phone gives me news because that's like life.
Speaker 1: But I think it knows. If it just keeps feeding me.
Speaker 2: My heated rivalry boys, I'll stay on and so they don't really fuck around anymore. They keep it really one note.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I also like someone wrote this like, wow, my personal brand is so strong because the amount of people who sent me the credit card thing.
Speaker 1: Did you see it? Like card skin, I've been sending it to me to send to you.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 2: I wrote when I posted about it, was like fifty people sent it. I would say hundreds, like I've been sent that so many times.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do it because I'm such a Delta girl and I need everyone to note I have my Delta card. Your relationship with Delta is longer than your relationship with he did realy.
Speaker 2: So, But I also I still hope that one day I can work with one of them, and I just have to hold some sort of semblance of like calm, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Can't whip out a credit card that has like a half naked one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I feel like an audition might come through one day and I just need to But I, oh, this is like old now we're in the time machine. But I fucking loved Hudson William's speech for his Canada Screen Award whatever when, And I've never watched just speech multiple times. I just thought it was like so perfect and great, thank cute, and of the fun speeches.
Speaker 1: I like, Ronnie Cheng had a great fuck AI speech. Well that's com that's the commencement and commencement. Yeah oh this was an acceptance speech. Yeah but yeah, yeah, well I'm glad Ronnie.
Speaker 2: Did that because like those fucking losers that were pro A, it's like, what the fuck what did you say? It's like mediocre people becoming even dumber, like the untalented becoming.
Speaker 1: Worse and worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, truly, it's like such an embarrassment and he's like, you can't.
Speaker 1: Write an email. It was really great. I started getting I don't know when, maybe like a few months ago, I somehow started. I somehow got the People Magazine app on my phone. I think, I don't know why. I think I thought it would be fun to do those crosswords because they're so easy, like once in a while. But now I get alerts from them, and I think I need to take them off. There's like they're about people sometimes I've never even heard of.
Speaker 2: Of course, the fact that you have People Magazine alerts as psychotic care, I know it's getting your life together.
Speaker 1: How many more alerts do you need? Get it off? Do it right now? Do read any of them? Go into the settings, Go into the settings. I don't read any of them, but it'll be like it'll even have VET. I don't have any notifications except texts. It'll just be like about people and then that's email, random true crime stuff. I think maybe that's why I originally got on it. Maybe I got on it for like the Coburger trial or something. But like it'll be like, sure, there's a Britney Spears, there's a tailor Swift and then it'll be like Steve Kaufman. I'm like, who, Like, it'll just be like car drivers.
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't a unique take in any capacity. But Dua Lipa and her guy column Callum, I mean, c.
Speaker 1: You're against her. I'm not against her in any way. She is so hot. She looked so hot at her wedding.
Speaker 2: She's also so smart, yes, and conscious of people and hardworking and fun.
Speaker 1: I'm like obsessed with her. I think she's wonderful. I've been listening to her for almost a decade. I love Dua Lipa. The meat cute that I heard about how they met feels like it was made up by a publicist.
Speaker 2: I don't think they would make it up, Like why not? Why can't we have something magical?
Speaker 1: I just feel like Doua Lipa is not eating at a restaurant alone in la in the year twenty twenty four. I just think that that's too She's it could have been a hotel.
Speaker 3: No, she's on the road.
Speaker 1: Maybe there was security further back. I don't know. Well, oh my god, this is humiliating. I do not follow these people.
Speaker 2: But Scooter Braun and Sydney Sweeney had like a weird bicycle date and were hanging out in Times Square and no one really noticed them and she had sunglasses on it and I and like a hoodie and she was like posing next to her billboards and basically Scooter bron posts.
Speaker 1: Again I do not follow him, but it said.
Speaker 2: When you're lying in bed and your girlfriend says she's never been to Times Square, like that seems more fake to me then dua and this guy reading, well, just okay, just so we are clear, and for the listeners that might not know what we're talking about. What I was told, well, let me do it, since you're gonna you feel negative about it, and okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So basically.
Speaker 2: They're they're like, I think he probably tried to flirt with her, and he's and they realized that they were reading the same book, and then they realized that they were at the same chapter end. And then he said, look at us, we're on the same page.
Speaker 1: I like that, and they met, both of them. Him, I could see dining alone, okay, Labi Him, I could see dining alone at an La restaurant. We need another restaurant. I can see it. I cannot see. I think she's too famous. I don't think she would be alone. I don't think that she would like this random guy comes up to her and goes, oh my gosh, let's talk about books a drama. It's literally the beginning of the drama. Random hot is hell tall man. He's not some random weirdo. He's like a hunk because she's five eight and wears heels and he's still like I think eight inches taller than No. No, no, he is a hunk. But like he at the time, I mean, I don't I didn't know about him as an actor. Really, I have no idea she married him. Yeah, and I saw like the cover of the movie that he's in with like Elizabeth Olsen Eternity or whatever. But like he's not quite in what I'm saying is like in the US. He's like it could just be any other actor like at that point, and I don't know. I just I don't buy. I'm glad Casey's at least a little bit with me. It's it's a beautiful story. I'm sure parts of it are true. It just feels like the whole thing was like people Magazine will love this and Kara will actually click on this alert get it. I don't think is like that. She's just not like that. No, but a publicist could be like that. I feel like I think a publicist could be like, Okay, here's what we're gonna like, here's like the story I'm giving them for your like how you met, and it's like, okay, whatever. I don't know, I don't know. I think Dua Liep was really cool and awesome. I just had a story. Story gave me a little bit of a hm. I love looking at photos of them together. I thought she looked she your wedding. I hope we get.
Speaker 2: Photos of their sicily wedding. I mean my phone actually, Dua Lipa is now a big part of my phone.
Speaker 1: Wait, this was this was this was just their British wedding, and they're also gonna get married Italy. Well this was like city Hall, This is like oh London.
Speaker 4: That and then.
Speaker 2: A cute little blazer. I didn't know it was, Yes Scaparelli. I just love photos of them. I just like, I love the way they like each other and they're I mean, she's just like the coolest and I've seen her live, you know, I've been a fan, but I love Yeah, you know, it's easy for me to get involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She was one of the first people I saw a billboard for in LA where there would be a billboard up but it would say sold out, and I was like, what is the point of this billboard? Like, you know, what the point of the billing? I know, I know, and like but at the time, I was like, well, I would go see do Alipa, but it's sold out, so you know, but somebody went up there and had to take the time, like you know, scraping it up there with the glue and it's like you can't get tickets to this. But they are extremely hot, this couple. I love that they're both like British.
Speaker 2: And her podcast, I mean she interviews authors and stuff, like she really is cool.
Speaker 1: She just put out her concert on YouTube for free. I didn't do Alipa had a podcast, yeah about books.
Speaker 2: She interviews authors and I think she gave a speech at like the Book or something Prize or SGP was you know, as a judge this year whatever. There's like now I'm getting all these book things, so yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. Well, I finished our friend Alison Libey's book If you want to if you want to go to the Patren and listen to us talk to her about the book.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was crying at the end. I was like truly crying, laughing out loud, crying. I'm like, I know, I'm very excited for her. I started it. I'm just so impressed. There's just so like I'm just impressed. Yeah, I'm excited to talk to her about it because for the Patreon, because I do think taking I do think taking on a book is so Yes, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: For years of her writing this goddamn book, and it's such a nightmare process, I feel. And I actually I sat it at my coffee shop for three hours to finish it, and everyone was kind of interested. And since I want her to get on some lists, I might just pre order a bunch for the youth that work at my coffee shop.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might be pre ordered. Yeah, I might just pre order a few more for the youth. I ran into a girl from Soul Cycle and she's like, wow, I'm so bored now, you know summer break, and I go are you? And she's a junior my close Soul Cycle friends in college.
Speaker 1: Correct, well, only one more year? Huge for your friend. Huge you're gonna be in her graduation. Mark my fucking words, Mark my words will be like I can't record that day I have NYU graduation.
Speaker 2: Well, Julia just went to two of her you know, it's so interesting like groups of friends and when people start having kids because.
Speaker 1: I think Julia she's a few years older than.
Speaker 2: Me, whatever, but because her friends were religious or whatnot, Like she's going to high school graduation. Yeah, she's been to a few high school graduations this month. Those are her trips.
Speaker 1: I mean like it's like, I mean, I am old enough to be the mom of some of the moms in Oscar's class. Yeah, Like there's a mom in Oscar's class. She is the age that he. I'm like, I could have had you and that would be my grandchild, you know, like it's just but it's my kid.
Speaker 2: Wait, how was his birthday? And the Dodgers game? And then we'll get started.
Speaker 1: Oh so we went to Notts. It was fun. It's very Peanuts. Are you like a big Peanuts Snoopy woodstock Yeah? Always, oh yeah Snoopy.
Speaker 4: I knew.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, you either have a Snoopy or a Woodsto. But I'm not upset.
Speaker 2: I put Snoopies for everyone, and I missed the ice cream bars. I don't think they make them anymore. But oh, the Snoopy ice.
Speaker 1: Cream Yeah, back of the day, I didn't. I kind of thought Knots was like independent. It's owned by six Flags, so it's not but their whole thing, you know how like six Flags whole thing is like Looney Tunes. Knots whole thing is Peanuts, like that's what they got the rights too. I just googled. Oh, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I just googled Snoopy ice cream bars and there's a miniature being sent sold on on Etsy.
Speaker 1: On Etsy, how did they get it to you? What do you mean? Wait, it's an ice cream bar? Well yeah, it's like a replic It's like a little figurine.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was like, they're selling you the ice cream bars. I'm sorry, I'm like, listen, my brain is not always I can't assume that everyone knows about the miniature food replica world on Etsy. Oh yeah. I was like, wait, they're gonna like send it in like freeze dried box. Like I've gotten ice cream in the mail before, but from Etsy. That seems weird.
Speaker 2: No, hold on, so I interrupted you so knots Very Farm is owned by Snoopy.
Speaker 1: Yes, Snoopy is the king of Knots okay. And so the kids met Snoopy. They got a little picture with them. There's like there was like a video up that was like meet the characters, and it was like all these kids lined up to meet Peppermint, to meet Marcie, and Jared was like, kids were not lining up to meet Marcy. Come on. But it was fun. We went on some rides and the food was gross. He had a great time. He had a blast. I ended up getting suckered into buying them those hats that have like the long pieces that hang down and at the bottom there are these like pumps and it makes the ears go up. Do you know what I mean? No, that's that's just making sense. Like the long they're like these long ears and they have pumps on the bottom inside of the stuffy of the hat that you pump them and the ears will flop like go up and down. And so come on, it's a birth of course. And Rosie got regular Snoopy and Oscary got Girl Snoopy. They just sell one with a bow. I was like, who is this like, there's not a girl snoopy character, I don't think, but there is anots and we had a fun time. And then I took them to their first Dodgers game on Sunday, but that was not even for his birthday. It was just for fun. And I really like I brought coloring shit for Oscar. I was like, he is not gonna want to do this. I took them by myself because Jared had to work, but with friends like that, I was just the only parent of my children and we had friends with us and Oscar, I swear to god, he sat there and he enjoyed, Like most of the game, he wasn't really watching the sports. I think he was just kind of looking around and loving the music stings and like the stuff that would come up on the screens, and but he was not being like normally he would be like, what are we doing here? I want to go home. I don't like this if he's not engaged. And he was just like sort of into the pageantry of the baseball I think because oh yeah, he ate a Dodger dog in truly like the craziest way. He started in the middle, like he's so insane. When I had dog. Rosie had a piece of pizza. She didn't love it, but you know, we did what we could. I had a beer. It was fun, you know what I ran. Some of our friends were there for his birthday too, Will It was so bunch people were at the same game. But yeah, it was fun and we stayed it to the end and they got to run the bases. But I was getting very SVU vibes because so my friend who is a mom on the baseball team with Rosie, she goes she's like a Dodger lady. She like was giving me all the tips. She gave me my clear bags to use. She was like giving me all the dogs. And you know, you can bring food to baseball stadiums. Oh I didn't know about it. Yeah, baseball stadiums.
Speaker 2: You can bring cooler like you can maybe not cooler, but you can bring like people bring spaghetti's and bags. I remember I came once, people like had boxes of pizzas. Like you can bring food into basis.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I was getting all the like lowdown, like you can't bring a metal sun green bottle, Like your water bottles can be plastic, but they have to be empty. Blah blah, blah. So she was telling me, oh, yeah, you get to go down and like you'll run the bases with them. So we're in line, and they're like adults to the left, kids to the right. They're separating us. They're like, only the kids are running really holocausty yes, And I'm like, and I'm like, shit, if you were like, it's not like they were even checking to make sure every adult had a kid. If you were just like a creep or a kidnapper, you could like just get in line. And then at the end, the kids all just funnel out to this little area and all the parents are going Sarah like James, like everyone's like yelling their kids's names because you're fully separated from your kids for like five minutes. And I was like, fine, I had eyes on Oscar and like Rosie was with her friends, Like I knew that they were gonna be okay. But I was like, plus, my kids are not the ones you want to try to grab their mouthy. But like, I just was like, this is weird that people are separated. And when I told the mom, she goes, they let us do it with them, And I was like, I wonder what happened for hers it was Mother's Day. I wonder if they let the moms go down and lit a Mother's Day because the other days when it's just kids, the kids had to run alone. They had fun.
Speaker 2: Also, lol that we have not mentioned the Knicks forers nothing. This podcast is so funny to me, What a cultural moment.
Speaker 1: I love me. I'm cheering for the Knicks.
Speaker 2: But tickets are going for forty grand eighty grand people like the cheapest tickets I think are like five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: My old boss when I was living my devil wears proud of life, but I was wearing like clothes from the gap. What like when I worked for like an empty a Viacom executive for like Nickelodeon and stuff at he had season tickets to the Knicks and he would always I would always have to call all of his friends and me like, do you want his tickets? Tonight he can't go? Do you want his tickets? Do you want a tickets? Like I had to get rid of these tickets like every week if he'd be busy, and he gave me the tickets once he said I could take the tickets, and then the whole time I was in the bathroom changing one of his flights, and we were like behind one of the baskets, like it was a fun they were fun seats, but I was like, what a piece of shit. I brought my friend with me and she was like this is so exciting that I was like, I'll be right back. He's just and I was like on my BlackBerry in the bathroom trying to call American Airlines and be like, oh no, and he needs Actually he sits in a very specific seat, like he had a very specific seat in first class that he always wanted, and he would he didn't want the captain's chair or whateverever. I don't know what if that makes any sense to you, but there was like something that he didn't want, and so I always had to make sure that he was also on a certain kind of plane because there were like certain planes where he didn't want to be in first on that plane.
Speaker 2: And I know we have to move on Casey for the I know it's a double episode, but listen, I got into the snoopy ice cream thing and now I'm in another place. Did you ever have from nineteen ninety three vampires secret ice pops?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: They look so good cherry water ice with a cherry sauce center secret ice pot. I don't have any memory of these, and it's good humor, but like this way cool. The the look of it looks familiar, like I saw it on a on an ice cream truck.
Speaker 2: But I never got it because I'm looking because I remember Sonic, because I'm looking at this poster. I remember Mario, I don't I remember the Ninja Turtle, the wrestling, the Batman, the pushpike.
Speaker 1: I don't remember these vampires, but they look good. I love cherry also sold as vampires. Deadly secret is the deadly secret that your teeth like turn black when you eat this thing or the blood.
Speaker 2: Of it all the great white shirt, that's what? Oh my god, Calippo, listen. I yeah, well, let's get started now. I'm like, I want ice cream.
Speaker 1: I want ice cream so bad. All right, as usual, you know, that's messed up. Live as all the links that you need, our merch our promo codes, Lisa's tour dates, and our Patreon which is patreon dot com slash. That's messed up. We have a lot of fun stuff going on on the Patreon. Everybody's doing it. Tommy's we'll see you over there, but let's get started on today's episode. All right, today we are doing a doubleheader. It is American Dream and Sanctuary. They are the final two episodes of season eighteen. Don't listen to what Hulu tells you. They're telling you it's but it is episodes twenty and twenty one of season eighteen. And these came out May of twenty seventeen. So about you know, nine years ago, almost exactly today, and we Okay.
Speaker 2: Everything's only gotten worse, no, I know, And this is graphic as fuck. This is a tough I know, it's so the fucking opening of this episode is like so tough and like truly this episode could air tomorrow night on NBC. It's like nothing has changed.
Speaker 1: But we open on a couple having a nice Manhattan stroll walking their dog, talking about the weather, global warming, a little dig about how there's no EPA anymore, because you know, this episode came out about five months into the nightmare of Trump being our president, Like for the first time, they passed this restaurant called Samra and they talk about, how, oh is this on our list? We've been wanting to try it. Yeah, Modern Syrian cuisine, you know, obviously talking in an expositional way to give us the viewers information in a way that people would never talk. But then there's another quick dig from this couple like if we keep walking, we'll miss the news. And he's like, maybe we're better off. And then he's like, come on, it's a beautiful night. So this idyllic, little New Yorker scene of like walking around the neighborhood. Then the camera pushes into the door of the restaurant Samra and we hear screaming noises. Nothing good is going on behind that door. Cut to inside there's intruders and ski masks like beating the shit out of the owner while other people are tied up, crying, screaming. It's very violent and disturbing, cold open. I always hate when the whole family gets attacked at once. Yes, I would put that on my worst things. Yeah, Like there's a more recent episode where they're on the they're on the train with the machete machetty, and it's like why, like just doing all these things and making family members watch their family members get assaulted is like so awful. So it just adds another layer to how awful the crime is as it is. So I was like, sometimes we just find a body, and sometimes we get this, you know, like sometimes it's just like oops, that couple would just be like, what's the dog trying to eat? Oh? No, it's a hand, you know. But other times we see the entire horrible violent crime on unfolding. And in this case, there's these three intruders. They have guns. One calls them like a slur for people of Arab descent. There are two young girls and a mother is also tied up. One guy, it feels like, is trying to get the other two to chill out a little bit. But then one of the guys always.
Speaker 2: Always who are you committing crimes with? One of them is always going to take it too far, and then you're gonna go what the fuck man? And it's like, well, you got a person to like do a violent crime, why are you trusting them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this, I mean, I'm thinking about farger, I'm thinking about everything. Like it's just it's so weird.
Speaker 1: This isn't a guy you've known since, This isn't your cousin. This is like when we find out later how these guys know each other too, You're like, wow, that you got you thought these guys would chill out, Okay, So one of the guys calls the one of the young daughters a dirty Muslim bitch and then carries her off to sexually assault her, and the chill one is like, this isn't what we came here for, and the other guy tells them to shut up and then starts to assault the other daughter, and the mother is just sitting there crying, tied up. It's fucking awful. And then we cut to Live arriving at the scene and Finn is giving her a breakdown of what's going on. Shahla Samra dead, which I didn't realize one of them was going to be murdered. She is has been raped and has a skull fracture. The other sister, Layla, also sexually assaulted, but will survive. The father, Kanan, is in critical condition blunt force trauma and two stab wounds. And then the guy interrupts them and introduces himself as Lieutenant Lopez, and well, well, well, if it isn't Kurt as Vedo, friend of the Pod and still our only guest to ever do our podcast while driving a moving vehicle, what's up? Kurt shout out and he's got still one of our hottest guests. Yeah, fully in love with him. I'm obsessed with him and I hope uh he works forever. Yeah, and we interviewed him, if you don't remember, for the episode from season fifteen called October Surprise where he plays a different character, and that's the Anthony Weader episode essentially, And Lopez is a lieutenant with the hate Crimes task for so that's why he's there. But Benson knows his first name. She's like, oh, hey, what's up. Like we assume that they kind of have met each other at like I don't know, cop conferences or something, and they're both lieutenants, so they probably have to sort of work with each other. So he brings them in to walk them through the scenes. I mean, Rollins is just standing over Shalla's dead body and Ben's says this feels more than a robbery gone bad. And then Lopez brings them to a fridge that says Muslims must die spray painted on it. So it Benson's like, it's a hate crime and not shocking. I mean, this is right. As there's the Muslim band on traveling that Trump enacted, there's all kinds of anti Muslim rhetoric that honestly had been already raging in New York since nine to eleven and just continued and was obviously the flames were fanned by Donald Trump. So then we're at the credits, and now we're at the precinct and Live is going over CCTV footage with Eyebrows aka Big Daddy Dodds, three guys in ski masks, and they don't have much else to go on, and that is like, one of my major issues with this episode is I just don't ever believe that, like, racist morons like this are smart enough to not leave behind DNA, to not trigger an alarm, or to not do something so deeply stupid even with the assault, like is there no jizz?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Them like these guys, like these guys wore condoms and then like didn't spill anything or leave a pube. Like I just don't believe it with these morons, right, And Eyebrows is like, oh my god, this kind of racism and hate. It's twenty seventeen. He's shocked, And I'm like, sir, if I could tell you what fresh hell would be coming down the pike every single day it's nine years later, and like I said, this episode could air tonight and he can't believe that this is happening in New York City and he wants everyone on it and hate crimes is involved. But FBI wants the case and lives was like, no, hell no, this is our case. So the background on this family is that Kanan and Maya Sama immigrated legally from Damascus. I love how they have to add in legally as if they were If they were illegal, this would be okay what they went through, you know, like, no, they but they legally immigrated from Damascus twenty five years ago. Their daughters were born in New York City, their two daughters. They've been in business for fifteen years. They pay their taxes, no financial troubles, no legal trouble, not even a parking ticket. They're practicing Muslims, no connection to any radical groups. They're basically the perfect American family. Live traffic cops, everybody go here, go here, go here. There's hundreds of Muslim restaurants in this city. Why did they pick this one? And then she and Rollins are going to go talk to Maya and Leila in the hospital. So outside the restaurant, Lopez and CRIESI roll up and there's like a vigil in front for the family, but then also a protest. These two episodes have like massive budgets. There are so many protest scenes. There are so many press conferences happening on stairs. Like there's just a lot, a lot of extra people in this episode. So they go talk to this guy like a neighboring bodega. He's immediately very pissy with them. He's like, what do you guys want my papers? And they're kind of like, no, dude, we just like want to know what's going on. And he goes the sammers are good people. I'm sick over what happened to them. And they're like anything unusual going on over there? And the guy's like, oh, like are they terrorists increase He's like he's like, we're investigating a homicide, a sexual assault. We got to ask questions like where I'm asking drugs, gambling, anything criminal, Like this is a serious crime. We got to check all the angles. And this guy he's like, I'm just so sick of the harassment, Like he's this guy is like he's being a dick to the cops because this is like a trauma he's been living with for a long time, like of people harassing him. He goes, even the Hispanics hate us now, they blame us for the raids and deportations. And he says, a month ago, the Sammer's restaurant had their windows broken and Go Home Muslims was graffitied on it. And He's like, did they file a report? And he's like, no, they were too scared to call the cops. And Maya said she wanted to stay focused on the good in people. So now we're at the hospital talking to Maya, and this actress is Porna Jagonathan, and I personally recognize her from the Night Of, which was a show I was obsessed with. But she's also in Deli Boys and like a bunch of other stuff that's on tues Now. She is working, she's Boked to Blessed, and she's been in other law and orders. I think she's been in like all of the franchises. So she's at the hospital talking to Benson. She's crying how she opened the door for these intruders because she thought maybe a customer had forgotten something like when she heard the knock and she blames herself, like I'm the one that opened the door. They muscled their way in. They demanded to see their papers, ripped off our hey jobs, and they sounded like New Yorkers. She said they wanted money, and then one of them said the girl is cute about Shaala, and then she shot her eyes. But she says she could hear the sounds and then it was quiet, and she said, I was helpless in my own restaurant, like while her daughters were assaulted. One of them, she said, didn't yell, he whispered. And then a doctor interrupts with another horrible twist of many to come in this episode. Her husband Kanan did not make it. He was They were trying to save him from these stab wounds and bump force trauma, but he has passed and the doctor didn't even say anything. You can just tell by Maya's face. So now Rollin's is talking to Leila. She's obviously just told her about her dad not making it, so Leyla's extremely traumatized. She tells Rollins she remembered her rapist smelled like beer and tequila, and she starts talking about her fiance Sayid, who flew home to Damascus in December to see his sick dad and he's been trying to come back but he can't get in even though he has a green card again Trumpiness and Rollins is like, oh, I can help you get in touch with him, but it's like that's not the issue. Rollins like, she's like, Saya, it is more conservative than me implying this. Fuck too. It's like, fuck this guy. Yeah, you get raped and you can't tell your exactly It's like I don't yeah, fuck this guy, which we've dealt before. We've dealt with this before. And Sbu with the move with the episode night where the girl doesn't tell that she's even been raped because her brother will think she's impure and unable to be married off. Right, and there's been honor killing episodes. Yes, I mean it's it's a mess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, even or when they like go to someone where it's like something from their past and the husband's there and they have to be like, we're just asking questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the neighborhood, it's like we're just Jehovah's witnesses wanting to spread the good news. Yeah, like a yeah, victim of a crime.
Speaker 2: But then you have to cover it up for other people's comfort, or how other people are going to react to your fucking trauma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's terrible. It never ends and it's never like the part, Like it's never the discussion. Yeah. Yeah, so it's really gross. Yeah that like her being a victim of her great sister's dead or dad's dead. She's been raped, and now she's just to worry about how her husband's going to react, Yeah, how to break it to him instead of how he could support her. Right, So she goes, I need to talk to my mom about how to explain this to him, Like she has to like seek out religious counsel to even address this with her fiance. So now we're back at the restaurant and then is explaining some shit to Careesy, like, well, the three perps came in the front door, but there is one fresh footprint in blood heading out the back door that doesn't match the purp any of the purpse or the Samras. So we're looking for a ghost and Finn goes a ghost with a size ten shoe. So back at the precinct, they're always time for jokes with Finn, you know what I mean? Double homicidekickle it up. Yeah, yeah, so you gotta get through the day. Yeah, But that he takes us out to commercial with his little finn quip okay, And then we're back and we're at the precinct and again no one cell.
Speaker 2: I forget the algorithms like Fiji stuff, because I wanted to be like, you know, Iced Tea has been everywhere lately, but I think he's just in my phone.
Speaker 1: He's just it's just old clips. But I'm like, look, I say things people all the time. I go, no, but haven't you noticed that she's been kind of like back in the back in the mix lately and they're like no, and it's like, oh yeah, our algorithms are different, like we're seeing different shit. But so okay. So back at the precinct, they're basically like we got no skin cells, no DNA, no semen. And I'm like, again, a bunch of tequila drunk bigots are leaving no trace. I just don't buy it. How I feel with the Scott Peterson of it all. It's like you're telling me he's a fucking idiot and there's not one bit of physical evidence, not one scratch in the boat garage, Like I just yeah, when these people are so dumb, it's hard to think they're able to I mean, he didn't get away with it, but like that, they're able to not leave anything behind right right, I just don't buy it. And they're wasted in this. Yes, they're not making any mistake. I mean, like I could see these guys going to get a drink right afterwards and bartender's being like, yeah, I saw three guys come in and talk about how they just robbed a restaurant and my shots, my Scott Peterson takes, I think will haunt me for my lifetime. I think it's like a little bit of a different situation too, because of the body not being found or no, they found the torso, but it was like in the lake that he or the body of water that he said he was going to be fishing in, and it's like why would you dump the boy into the place you say you're gonna be But then also why isn't there any evidence of her on that boat. It's just like I don't know, Yeah, this is what this is.
Speaker 2: Like he's in jail, thank god, but it's just you know, it's the Casey Anthony defense, Like I'm sorry if you can't prove it. Yeah, but the way he was acting with the girlfriend and fleeing and all of that, like so guilty. That's why I'm so confused when idiots.
Speaker 1: Don't leave behind evidence. Yes, it's almost like they love. That's how I'm connecting these Yes, yes, so eyebrows pipes in like ba boom er uncle being like, what about this Aryan nation thing I saw in the news, So I guess Lopez explained that, like.
Speaker 2: News, you have to studies, you have the data, you have, you're the head of the cops here, Like, why it's not.
Speaker 1: A hate crime unit. Fuck, I guess it's just because the Aryan nation will like take credit for stuff that they don't do. So apparently Lopez is like, yeah, they'll just take credit for like heinous hate crimes. It's just how they roll. It's not actually you know how you were saying hole and roll a whole with a W and hole without. I guess for me, that's roll rol e and roll rol. You know, they're kind of like they're they're interchangeable to me.
Speaker 2: So we've just made it such a thing where it's like you don't know the difference between your and your and they're there and there, you stupid dumb bitch.
Speaker 1: I handle I keep myself off if I do it there the wrong for sure. But it's like, can we not just chill out? Like it's not dating him again?
Speaker 2: Use the wrong there, and it's like what if it was running to catch a train but still wanted a text. I just like, we've put so much pressure that you're a fucking idiot if you don't use the right one.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I think it's so so like hard. I think it's also like kind of a unique thing to English that there are words that have multiple meanings that sound the same but are spelled differently. Like I don't really think I see that in other languages I've learned, but I could be wrong. Let me know. I don't. Also only have learned like three other languages, so I don't know all the languages of the world. But you don't get a lot of there there there bear, bear bear, Like you know all these different ways to spell words that they sound in the state. What is that called homophones? Okay, so right as they're talking about the area nation, you know, they probably have nothing to do with this. Finn walks in with a tip, and it's the dog walking couple. They must have seen something, and they say they saw a guy run out from the alley of the restaurant around ten forty five, and the girlfriend says he was white, but the boyfriend's like, I don't know. He could have been Arab or Hispanic or a dark haired guy from Greenwich, Like it's really hard to say. He was five ten five eleven, young twenties and he was running like hell. And the guy goes, what's happening in this country is insane? Like this is America, right, And I'm like, oh, buddy, Like, if I told you what comes next, you would not believe my ass. But for what happened before, yeah, like what I don't Yeah, this guy looks like a man of color. The guy who's doing the dog walking right, like, he, to me, looks like a man of color. And he's like, like, you don't believe that there's this kind of hey and racism in America. Okay, that's I'm good. I'm glad that you are like incredulous, but I think it's also it was just dialed up right after Trump. People started just saying whatever. And so liv goes to talk to Maya and Layla about this bloody size ten footprint. So Maya goes, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know who that would be. The only people that have keys to the door are our family. And Laila goes and Yusuf and Yusuf is Maya's brother, but she goes but he doesn't have a key. He used to but not anymore. And she's really trying to brush the USIF thing out of the way. And Leila goes, but we need to know who did this, And Maya goes, I will do the talking for this family, do you understand me? And I just feel so bad for Leila because even at this moment where her father has passed away and she has this fiance who is conservative, even when there's a woman leading the family, the way that the family is being led is clearly like one person speaks for everybody right, or like one person is in charge. So the mom is like, don't talk, you know, which I feel sad for Leila. She'd love to find out who attacked her, you know, and lives like just talk to us, like, does Yuseff have a key? And Maya just calmly is like Yusef is not involved, and they're like, is he thin, mid twenties, dark hair, I mean, that's truly, you're describing a lot of people in New York. Leila goes yes, and Maya looks soapissed and begs live not to arrest him. So now they bust into this apartment looking for Usef. The roommate is there, and he is, as every SVU roommate has been for since the beginning of time, extremely bothered by their presence and unhelpful. He's like, do you have a warrant? Why are you here? And like They basically find out that Yusef is on the run. He's down the fire escape at chase ensues. He is quickly surrounded. He goes, I don't know what happened at the restaurant, and he says. They're like, well, then why did you run? And he goes because I was afraid. I'm in the country illegally, And the next twist, I'm gay. If I get sent back to a refuge, can't they will kill me? So done done, So this is why Maya is so hasty to shut up all talk of yusif right. So in cement room, bars rollins and crease. He are trying to question yusif, but he won't talk to them at first, but then of course it takes like two more questions and it all comes spilling out. He was there, He saw it all happen, the whole attack. He wanted to do something, but he was afraid, and he feels like he let them all down. He tried to text nine to one one, but nothing happened. I don't know why. I think you can text nine one one. And then he says he heard the sirens so he ran. He can't believe they would suggest he was associated with these three men. He was at the restaurant to do his chores, collect the trash clean. He wasn't supposed to be there. He usually does that stuff in the morning, but he had plans on Saturday, so blah blah blah. He came back into the back door at ten thirty, heard the screaming, saw the men with the masks. He hid. He regrets not grabbing a knife. He saw three men doing horrible things to his nieces, and there were just two of them.
Speaker 2: The casting is young and strange for this guy. Yeah, he seems so young that those are his nieces. It kind of confused me, but I.
Speaker 1: Thought maybe he is like the younger baby brother and he comes from the States to live with his older sister because he'll be persecuted for his sexuality in his country and whatever.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, but no, I just didn't see it. But yeah, this is a bummer to watch this happen to you.
Speaker 1: And oh my god, I know. So that's like another family member that witnessed this whole fucking trauma go down. And he says, actually only two of them were really doing most of it, and the other guy was just standing there. And then he said he took off his mask for a few seconds. Again like why why would you do Why would that ever be a thing that you would do? And she he goes, I think he used to work for the restaurant. So now we're in the fish bowl, Finn and Liver chatting. Finn can't believe that this guy saw it all go down and then ran and never even called his sister about it afterwards, and lives like it's shame. It's fear if he reports the crime, he'll be deported. So Maya arrives and begs them not to call immigration, and livishs her like Yusuf is not arrested, like, don't worry. She hugs her brother and he's sorry for being so weak and not doing anything and begs for forgiveness, and Maya's like, I love you and I need you right now more than ever. And so they ask, Maya, are there any employees that you've had problems with? And she goes, not really, but we did have to fire a bunch of employees recently who were undocumented because we would get fined if they like with these raids that are going on, right, So we need a list of anyone you let go, and maybe you've got a group photo, like a party, and she goes, actually, I do. We have a party from a couple of months ago that they had when Shalla was accepted to Colombia. Like this episode just keeps twisting the knife, like this poor girl who died the most horrific death was also about to start her IVY League education, Like it's just so awful. So Yusuff identifies a guy named Hector in the in the picture and goes, yeah, that's the guy I think I saw take off his mask. Maya's like that can't be We loved Hector we treated him like family. This is impossible. So now we're at Hector's apartment. The cops bust in on Hector's wife. Kristie finds they really like don't even knock, they like bust in. There's so many of them. There's two little kids that they would know about. They would know that this guy has two kids. They bust in. These two kids are playing in a room. Hector's hot just a spoiler spoiler, before the fire's hot. There's no sign of this hot man, this hot purp Rollins keeps telling his wife, who is yelling. She just keeps yelling, Please don't hurt my kids, Please don't hurt my kids. She's freaking out. And I bet she'd be a lot calmer if you guys like showed a warrant or something or told her what was going on. Just an idea. And she says she doesn't know where Hector is or when she last spoke to him, and Caristi goes, where is he Soli dad? He keeps calling her Soli dad and it's so funny to me, and Rowins threatens to call social services on her, and that's when she's like, Hector is at Leo's. It's a new restaurant, one hundred and twenty fifth, So they bust into Leo's, which looks nice. I would try it, and it's a whole scene CARIESI. They chase him down in the kitchen and they rough him up for seemingly no reason. He's speaking only Spanish, like he doesn't really resist and they're still like throwing him around and he's saying in Spanish, like what's going on. I don't understand. I'm not the guy. I'm not the guy. So then in cement room bars they toss him in a chair for the Finn treatment and he admits he was angry when the Summers fired him, and he's like, they still owe me money, and they tell him that while a witness saw you take your ski mask off and saw you there, and he's like, I would never hurt the Samras, I didn't rape or murder anyone. And then just as Hector is about to spill, Rawins comes in to say interrogation's over his lawyers here, and Hector has no idea he has a lawyer. That's also another thing about the show, like maybe our lawyers that listen can weigh in, like in the time it took them to run this man from a restaurant to the precinct and throw him in a chair and ask him some questions. Literally, a pro bono lawyer has gotten simplication. Now I feel I thought maybe his girlfriend got no, no no. You find out she's a defense attorney named Naomi Ziggler, and you know, she seems like a no nonsense broad We've also seen her in the episodes mea culpa and assumptions. But Benson is like, oh, the immigration lawyers are really coming out of the woodwork, and I don't think she necessarily always means in a good way, Like a lot of them are trying to get cases that they think will like the way they're framing this. This case is super famous in the city. It's on the cover of every paper. And so if she gets word from anybody, I don't know how they hear about this kind of stuff that like a Mexican immigrant has been taken in for this. She's like, well, maybe I can get some notoriety out of this, and also I'm sure she wants to do the right thing. But they tell her, well, your clients is suspect and a hate crime and She's like, shut it down, no more talking, let me see him, and yeah, lives like, oh, all these immigration layers are really popping out right now out of the woodwork, and they need Yusef to help id hector in a lineup. So Yusuf and Maya show up and they have some asks before they do the lineup, and it is that Yusef can stay in the US and that no one discloses his illegal status during this entire process, and Benson's like, no one's going to hear that from US. So Maya says they can't have Usef deported, they will never see him again. And they also tell them that Laylah's fiance finally got back to the States, but Leila doesn't even want to see him. She's not herself. And It's like, yeah, I think she's forty eight hours out from one of the most horrific tragedies I've ever seen on the show. So you know, maybe we can give her a minute to adjust, And Benson's like, you're gonna be fine. New York is a sanctuary city. No one will know we're on your side, right So now at the lineup, Yusef toot sweet immediately I d's Hector, that's him, That's who I saw. I would say a defense attorney might be able to throw that out based on the fact that he's already spoken to his mother, who was there when he picked him out of the lineup. I don't know, it feels like the idea you could throw it out, being like he worked at the restaurant, he might recognize him from there or whatever. But Hector's lawyer is begging for a deal, but no one is biting unless he coughs up the other two perps and they're like, well, Yusuf has to testify, and they offer him protective custody and he declines, but Live wants to give him in twenty four hour detail anyway, and Barba's like, it would be better if it was a detective, and so they taped Coreesy. So now back in cement roombars, Hector's denying even being there, and Live tells him like, we know you didn't mean to hurt the Samras, You're a good guy. Tell us who raped and killed Shala, who raped Laila, who killed Kannan? And he's still denying that he was there. He says he was with takes mask off like what the fuck? Yeah, yeah, it's like this guy idd you like the jig is up, and then he's like, nope, I was home with my wife soladad and she will confirm, and it's like sure she will. It's like, of course, you like the how is the wife even ever really like a gray alibi? I don't know. I feel like if they don't really care unless you ordered pay per view and use your credit card. Live arrests Hector for the rape and murder with a hate crime enhancement. Now there are no forensics, they've gotten nothing, but the Hector id to go on and Live is saying what I've been saying. These are not sophisticated criminals. They were not organized, and so we've got to get something else, Like there's got to be something Eyebrows wants Hector arraign to show the Muslim community the NYPD is making progress, you know all that all Eyebrows or like or Circumission, like all those guys ever want is like the press to let like let it look like the NYPD is doing the right thing or whatever. So it's kind of annoying because you know, Bence, it's about solving the crime and getting the real people. So at the Samra's house, Layla, the rape victim, is serving her uncle and Careesy tea, and the uncle starts to make a comment about her skirt before stopping her himself, and then he goes, no, no, it's it's very it's very nice. It's very fashionable. And they have this kind of like tense moment and he says he needs cigarettes, and Leila's like, you shouldn't smoke, and He's like, well, I shouldn't be attracted to men either way. I'm going to the bodega and I think that maybe is merch. I don't know. Carrisy goes with and I shouldn't be attracted.
Speaker 3: To men either way.
Speaker 1: I'm going to the bodega on a sweatshirt kind of fun. But Careese is like, what was up with that skirt conversation? I mean, Coursey's never like learned a thing I guess about other cultures or how things work, and he goes, well, Muslims believe in modesty and hiding the shape to stop unwanted sexual advances, and like, was he fucking shaming her when he has to deal with all this unfair shame? Like what I feel? Like, what they're trying to do in the episode is show like, even though he is part of a marginalized community within his own community, he still upholds these patriarchal it's like like beliefs and ways of being that they've all upheld and how they've what they've all grown up with. I think it's almost supposed to be, like he caught himself and was like, oh wait, never mind, No, it's a nice skirt. It's a nice skirt. Like it's just he knows that when you see a short skirt on a woman, you're supposed to be like uh ah, Like that's how he's been taught his whole life. I'm also like upset that they're making this girl who was viciously attacked serve them, you know, like their tea. But so he's explaining all this stuff about Muslims to Careesi and they're walking through a massive protest on the sidewalk for some reason, like most of the time protests are happening at like government buildings or like in certain areas, or it's like a walking protest. This is just a bunch of people outside of his bodega and they're protesting, and they start debating the futility of protests, like you Sif says, it won't change anything, like we've seen it a million times. People protest, nothing changes increases Like no, no, I disagree. People using their voices to refuse to be oppressed is what this country is all about. And at this exact moment, Ice rolls up like a ton of them and they run straight for you. So well you can't say Ice, you know what? Who? I thought it was? Oh Iced tea? Oh no, I'm sorry he shows up? No, sorry, come on, well it's Ice, it's Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. They roll up and there's a lot of them, like they sent a lot of them to grab one guy. And why who do we ever find out who called on him or whatever? Like why was he the well? And I'm not and I've not caught a lot in this episode. I was like, wait, those are his nieces? Like I don't know what I was watching. I don't know what. Yeah, we never find out who gets Ice, but maybe they're mad about something like who. Well, obviously we find out later that he has like other stuff, but like, I still don't understand someone would have had to call Ice and say this man is at this apartment and day getting cigarettes find him in the protest. It's just crazy how they laser focus on him. They don't say Useef Samra, like, they don't even ask for his like anything. They just go right at him and he runs and the Creasey is trying to reason with these fucks, but it's like no use. He's like no, no, I'm NYPD, like he's a material witness in a murder investigation, like you can't like whatever, And then they're like we don't care, and they grab him and Creasy is like literally trying to get Barba on the line and doesn't stop this from happening, and Yusuf says, you promised me as they throw him in a van. It's really really awful because you're just like watching this man so terrified of him and they did promise yes, So yeah, I guess protective, But like, what would have happened if, like the police had showed up to his house? I mean, if ice had showed up to his Like, would they have been able to just go get him? I feel like a police officer being like you don't actually have a warrant, you have no right to come in here, probably would have stopped them, but I don't know. Barbara is on the steps giving his first press conference of the episode. I don't worry. There are many more with Live and Eyebrows giving an update that a suspect has been arraigned, but they don't really give any comments or details. Okay, and Dodds is like, we don't really like to Live. He goes, we don't really want people to think we're scapegoating an undocumented Mexican and that we support all this crazy shit that's happening down in DC, and Live cares like two people have been murdered and raped, Like who cares what I do? And I think they're trying to like not muddy the case in the public opinion. They're like, jet, well, let's just say we have a suspect, don't say who he is, so that there's not more like, oh, well, now you're taking this like you're just taking him because he's undocumented or whatever. So Live then gets a call on her phone and it's it's that to let her know that Yuseff has been grabbed Ice the bad Ice, not Tea, and Barba starts working on the warrant and Live like busts her ass to get to the ice field office. So now she's talking to an absolute in cell with the most punishable face you've ever seen, and she's like, do you have a warrant? And Live goes, go get your boss, and he's like, go get my boss, and she goes, I know you're young, but I'm experienced and I've got friends. And he's like, is that a threat? And she just nods, like she doesn't even give him a glare that she normally gives. She nods basically like, yeah, I'm gonna fucking call in a favor if you don't get your in cell ass out of my face. He absolutely caves, takes them to another office and talk to a woman with an asymmetrical haircut, and she's like, yeah, this is a mess. We don't have enough places to put these guys. We're not exactly a well oiled machine, which I thought was a funny phrase because literally every guest we've ever talked to is that's how they describe the set of us for you. So Live's like, I'm sorry, can you explain what's going on? This is a sanctuary city. You aren't supposed to just be rounding up immigrants, and she goes, yes, we are. That's literally our job. I'm sorry that you think NYPD is above federal law, and she goes, this is a double rape, double homicide. He is more valuable here than in a refugee camp in Syria, and bad Haircut is like, that's why I'm trying to help you, and then she gets a little pang on her computer and goes, Okay, good news he's in Paterson, New Jersey right now. Bad news is he's been deported before for overstaying a student visa, which is going to make them more pissed at him. So she's like, gets a Patterson asap, and have your material witness a warrant in your hands. So in Patterson they're talking to another absolute pudding head ice freak with a Southern accent. Not to stereotype, but this actor made a choice. He's telling them, Oh, the warrant doesn't stand. It's state versus federal, and he's not here and they won't say where he is. And Yusuf is a national security threat is what this guy is saying. And Live says two people are dead, and you're going to deport the only person who can id one of the perpetrators, and then he goes, I don't want to get into politics, think y'all should leave before things get unpleasant. That literally sentence has nothing to do with what she just said. Two people are dead. It's like he knows who is dead. He knows that it's Muslim people. And he's like, I don't really want to get political. I think you guys should just see yourselves out, and then lives like it's already gotten unpleasant, and he goes, yeah, so why don't you get the hell out of here? And so his southern hospitality drops like a bad habit pretty quick, and Barbara is like, or what. He's got a huge little his barber, a little smug smile on his face. He goes, or what are you going to deport me to Cuba? You're going to take him back to Italy? And the guy who looks like a thumb goes, y'all have a nice day. And he's so smug and shitty, and they're about to go check all the airports when the other ICE agent that's standing there, who I guess has a shred of a moral compass, goes the plane left ten minutes ago, and they're like what and He's like I got people are stuck forever, and then because they needed him, they they made it fast or they always do it fast. That It's like, so they was trying to ruin everything for everyone all at once. It would have like made more sense to me if like Buchanan was the lawyer for him, like or somebody that would have done something like this, like called ice and said, this guy's overstated his visa, get him out, and you should get him out real quick because the cops are going to try to keep him in the country, you know. But like, I don't believe that Naomi whatever is her name, I forgot Geigert, what is it whatever. I just don't believe that she did that on this person. But whatever, maybe she's vicious and we don't know. But anyway, what I yeah, I kind of said the same thing. I'm like, the plane less left ten minutes ago. That's gotta be a record, like to be deported within two hours basically of getting grabbed. I mean, it can be more than two or three hours. Like he was grabbed. They immediately went to this woman. They talked to her. I think sometimes it was hard doing that to people like you don't know what it'll be and what you know what I mean, like those people that are yeah, but there's people that have been in Dilly for like months, That's what I mean. Like what is They're just trying to inflict the most amount of harm they can or something. So liv obviously looks devastated, like she's upset that she's made this promise to this family and now this man is like most likely gonna die when he or and die not in a great way when he goes back to his like Syria, a refugee camp. So at the precinct, they're trying to come up with a plan. They found a couple of strands of Hector's hair, but like, that's not gonna do it. He used to work there. They have to release him or indict him, and lives like what are you gonna do? So cut to Barbara press conference number two of this episode. We have released Hector Ramirez. He is the prime suspect and we expect to indict him very soon. Another protest outside the courthouse. As Hector walks out with his lawyer, the crowd boos him. A glass shatters, thing goes it's going down, and the crowd all starts fighting. It's basically this is like a dick wolf. Look at how bad things are right now. Okay, So back at the precinct, they're watching the chaos on TV when walks back in and Lopez is there and tells her Leila and Maya are here, and she is pissed. Maya. She's like, you promised that you stuff would be safe. We need him to testify. Maya wants to like They're like, we're sorry, like we didn't know how this happened, like and they're like, he's already on a plane, and Maya goes, well then get him back and lives like I'm not sure that's possible, and she's like, so you're just he's just gone. And now Hector is free, and finnbusts in and is like, there's a situation now. I mean, this episode it just keeps getting more wild. A while, the cops are surrounding a bar where some Muslim men are holding Hector Ramirez hostage, and inside the bar, the two guys are there with Hector. One has a gun on him and is screaming to know who hurt the Samras tell us now, and then Hector's like, I don't know I don't know. Then there's like another guy who's just like the guy without a gun that's like, uh, like what are we doing? Like I don't think he expected this to be like a full hostage situation where like cops are outside surrounding the fucking bill and Hector's like, I don't know, I don't know, and outside, the cop handling the situation with Live is kind of a dick and he's like not listening to any of Lib's advice. And then a sniper just shoots through the window and shoots the guy through the fucking head, like finds a shot. And then we just watched this guy who has a gun on Hector just get his brains blown out. I feel like it's crazy that Hector's saying, I don't know, I don't know. You know who the guys are. Give their names. There's a gun to your head. This guy's not law enforcement. He could literally fucking kill you at any moment. Just say the names. Why are you protecting these guys so hard? So then Hector is like kind of pissed when they come in. He's like, they were gonna kill me and it's like, yeah, well they didn't. And it's like, this whole thing is such a mess. It's like and don'tknock, like they were gonna kill you for no reason. Dude, you do have information to a horrific crime that you're not giving up. So this whole fucking thing is a mess. And that's the end of American Dream. And we go right into sanctuary. If you have Hulu without commercials, I do so. Hector tells them he was in the bar getting drunk after being locked up for three days. Wow, I guess yeah, I would need a drink after three days and walk up and these guys held a gone on him and demanded to know who hurt the Samras and lives, like you let this happen. You let those girls get raped and Shaha and Kanan get murdered. And until you tell us who did it, this all this isn't going away. And the combo is interrupted by his lawyer once again waiting by the damn phone for this fucking guy, and Finn goes the decision for Hector not to talk to us is really stupid, and she goes, well, you guys have dick, so excuse me while I take my client to the hospital. So it turns out Neither of these guys in the bar has a record. They just wanted justice for the Samras. And the wife is backing up Hector's alibi. We've got to crack her story. So at his apartment, his wife is so mad at the cops. She's like, everybody hates us. Now we can't go out, we can't take the kids outside. And it's like, do you think it's because your husband was involved in a horrific crime, Like, it's not because of like the cops, you know, Corisium Rollins try to break this woman again, lightly threatening to call social services, threatening to punish her for perjury, and she kicks them out of the apartment. Now we're talking to Maya and Layla, and they they knew the guy a Kif who had been shot by the cops, the one who was like holding Hector at gunpoint. And they're like, anything you can can remember that might put Hector at the restaurant that night, And Maya says, well, I do remember that when the guys walked in, one of them went straight to the security camera camera like he knew where it was to turn it off. Like so that's like helpful, right, So now we're talking to Barba and the security camera fingerprint. They do find one of Hector's fingerprints on the camera, again not strong enough because he worked there. Now we find out Solidad is undocumented, and Barba says, and he goes, let's call Ice. And they're all like, come on, like that is not our vibe. And Barba's like, well, we can at least threaten it, and Cariese's like turned up. He's like, this is New York City. It's a sanctuary city. And Barba's like, I don't give a fuck. I'm siding with the victims, not the wife of the perp, and Live actually agrees and says, with what happening in the city right now, we need to play every card on the deck. Bring in Solidad on her kids. So they bring in Solidad and absolutely use her two girls as chest pieces to threaten her to tell the truth or Live threatens to call Ice. Live goes, I don't want to do this. Give me another option, like I don't want to call Ice and Soladad says nothing, and so she picks up the phone. She gets asymmetrical haircut at AKA special Agent Phillips on the horn and starts reporting Solidad and Solodad says, okay, wait stop. Benson has basically already done the reporting, like Phelips picks up. She goes, Hi, Phelps, I've got an undocumented woman from ex country here, you know, and she's refusing to help an investigation. And then Solodad goes, okay, wait stop, and then Benson goes, okay, worked itself out, like we're supposed to believe that Phillips doesn't go send someone over and get this bitch, Like there's no way that Ice is like, okay, never mind, we won't come get her. Then, you know, like, because what a favor for Benson. I don't think so, and so she goes stop. Solodad goes, Hector wasn't home that night until late. He came in at two am and he had blood on his shoes, and Finn asks live if she was really going to go through with it, and she does it answer she just says, just go pick up Hector. So everybody's everybody's moral compasses are being tested to their limits in this episode. In cement room bars with Hector and his lawyer again, they're like, we got you, bro, It's time to make a deal. CARIESI promises him. If he testifies, his wife and kids will be safe, and he goes, okay, I was drinking with these two guys who I know from another job, Mitch Jenkins and Stevie Cole. I was pissed about getting fired. They wanted to mess with the Samras. We were going to trash the place send a message, but then Kannan fought back, and then they went after Leila and Shalla. I wanted the money. I did not want what happened, and so he gives up where these guys live, like he knows where Stevie and Mitch live. So they go find Stevie at a biker garage and all the bikers act all tough, saying like where's the warrant? And then Finn mentions it's a double homicide, double rape, and suddenly these tough guys are really hands off. Suddenly they're like, whoa, okay, we don't want any of that. No, we don't want that smoke. So they arrest Stevie, who is shocked, like what, like you never thought there was a world where the cops were going to come in here and grab you for what you did four days ago. That's all over the news, like wild, but it's like you always say, like the audacity of these men, they're just like I'm not getting caught, you know. So this guy is very familiar the actor. His name is Ben Thompson, but I looked him up and I do not know him. And there were also two x's by his name, which lead me to believe that there are twenty Ben Thompson's on IMTB, which made me laugh. So they show Lopez arresting Mitch Jenkins while he's screaming at his wife Carlen to call a lawyer, and not like in a call my lawyer, like in a carle like you know, this man is abusive, and Carlene is played by friend of the pod, Emma Miles. One of our first Orange is the new Black Pokemon that we collected in our collection, and they have a young son there who who is scared and confused, and Carlene is freaking out, and Rollins has to physically restrain a hysterical wife once again and ask her for her to chill out in the second time this episode. And Rollins is like really big this episode on using kids to give these moms guilt trips, like she goes straight for the kids with these moms, and now they have CV the first idiot incident from bars and he's all over the place. First he thinks he knows the law, then it turns out he doesn't. Then he calls Hector a slur. Then he turns around and says, I couldn't have done it. It's not who I am. So then he asks for a lawyer. This guy is like, truly has doesn't even have a lie the whole police car ride there, he didn't even come up with a good lie. So now talking to Mitch, Lopez is acting. Lopez keeps asking him if he smoked a little meth, and I'm like, when did meth enter the equation? Like, I don't know why they're adding meth to it, but I guess the victim said she smelled tequila on you. And he goes, must have been Hector. Mexicans love tequila and raping. Just ask the president, is what says. So he calls out Lopez and goes, you would just want to stick it to Whitey instead of one of your little amigos. I mean, this guy is an extreme shithead. And they tell him, oh, well, you know the girl that you raped lived and she remembers it about you and like and she could identify your voice and stuff like that, so I would pipe down. And he's like, tell that Muslim bitch to take the stand and get twelve red blooded Americans to believe her. So this man's really leading with racism first off, Like that's the forward. Those are the most strong notes in this man. He says, I didn't do it, but I wish I did, okay oj And then these terrorists deserve what they get. He says, just ask my cousin Susan, her husband got blown away on nine to eleven. They want to kill us all like watch his cousin Susan is like literally like a chain letter. It's like not even real. Like he's like, I mean I never met her before, but I got this email. So he says, stupid white liberals are the problem. And then he says, get me a lawyer, your bitch to Rollins, And the way she lunges at him with a quickness, it got my heart right up. Like she's like around the table in two seconds, Like what'd you fucking say to me? And we know Rollins runs, so don't try it, you little shit bag. Like she's fast she'll get you, and then they obviously have to hold her back, and he's like, see you, and she goes see you. In court, bitch. I don't think she said bitch. I think I added that, but that's her vibe. So in court, Hector's on the stand explaining what happened the night of the crime. Mitch raped Shalla. Cevie raped Leila. Shalla started screaming, so Mitch smashed her head against the floor and she died. Barba, I know, it's fucking terrible because we still don't even we didn't even know the context in which that, like, the full story of how that happened. So Barba's now in press conference number three announcing the indictment. Shortly afterwards, two gunshots ring out people the fact that there is not like a line of security guards on the front steps of the New York City Courthouse, judging by how many people have just been shot outside of it. I mean, Lewis Black, Kyle, know, all kinds of people have been shot on these goddamns, like, you got to have more security. So the gun sharts shot, sorry, the gun sharts. It was the religious mom. Oh, but she hit Lewis Black. Yeah, okay, yes, Dana Delaney. So the gun sharts as I said, ring out. Uh Careese starts right, yeah, by accident, then I repeated it. I called myself out on it already, but CARESI starts booking it towards the gunshots. He full body slams some civilian out of the way, which I think is just for us. I guess, like he's just like boom, this person is on the floor. He gets to the scene just as another cop is tackling the gunman, who is calling Hector a monster. Because yet is it is revealed and yet another twist. Hector has been killed. So the gunman is yelling he's a monster, he's scum, he's dirty. So again it's like, I know Hector was part of the problem, but he was also the only witness, Like what are you guys doing? Like everyone needs to stop with the vigilante justice in this case. At the hospital, we found out that the bullet nicked his a orda and it's pretty bad. The shooters named Keith Skinner twenty eight, unemployed, went to high school with Stevie. So is that did he get put up to that even the Aryan Brotherhood would deny this guy's application, they say. A doctor comes out, second doctor of the episode to tell us that somebody did not make it. Hector is dead. He's their only witness. They have to put these two freaks behind bars, so it's back to work. Uh oh, Sola Dad shows up with the girls, and she obviously freaks out at Live when she finds out, and I like, of course, all her grief, but she's also blaming Live for making him a target, and it's like, no, he was involved in a double rape, double homicide. I think you have to let him take the l on this one. You know, he made himself a target. But she's grieving. She is sobbing. The two little girls are there. It's very sad. And as you said, he was hot at the precinct. Our girl Emma aka Carleen is there, and once again, Rollins goes straight for the kids talking to Carleen and goes, if you keep lying to protect Mitch, it's really not good for little Tyler. And it's like us basically a repeat of the earlier storyline. Carlene is alibying her dirt bag husband like they truly just made the same story happen twice, and like you guys have domestics and every time you drop the charges and they're like and they go, Carlene goes, you don't give a damn about my kid because he's white and not an immigrant or trans. We won't even we don't even matter anymore. And that's what the problem is with this country. So okay, eyebrows, I guess has like never been on the internet and he just cannot believe the hate coming out of these people. And Barba's like it's always been this way. People just feel more empowered now to shout it from the rooftops and live is like, well, I think Carlen is an abuse victim. I think we need to come out her that way. But she certainly has swallowed some Fox News talking points. Okay, so they have put these three guys together in the neighborhood. Lopez is on it. They caught a break at like a deli three blocks from the Samra restaurant where they have Mitch, Cevie and Hector together on tape. But it's not enough. I don't I don't know how. So then in walks Maya going oopsie doodle, I actually forgot to tell you, guys, I did see the attackers' faces, and it was those guys that you have, Mitch and Stevie, And she goes, you know, they threatened me, and so I couldn't tell Benson before, but now that they're in jail, I'm not afraid, and let me at that witness stand. I saw them. There's just like no way, like they've already been arraigned, I think, which means like their names are public, and so there's just no way that Ben's Barbara would even put this woman on the stand with this reverse. But guess what they do and she tells them later She goes, no, I saw them for sure. No one else saw their faces, just me. They pulled off their masks just for a few seconds. And Lena Live thinks Maya's lying and is like and is asking Barbara, like do you believe her? And he goes, well, it's not my job to believe her, Like I'm willing to go with it because it's plausible, and Benson's like plausible, bitch, Like that's not good enough for me, And barb is telling Live like, look, our legal system is the best that there is, and it isn't perfect and it isn't pure, and so we cut to court where Maya is testifying against the men. They put her on the stand because Barba wants to get these guys at all costs and thinks why not roll the dice. She explains how they threatened her, how anger made her decide to tell the truth about seeing their faces, and then a defense attorney, when it's his trying to question her, is calling her out for lying and is basically accusing her of changing her story because she knows the case is weak. And then suddenly Maya says, on the stand in open court, no, I actually told Benson this weeks ago. I told her weeks ago that I saw the attacker's faces. So Benson's getting scooted right under that bus. That's how bad this woman wants justice for her family. How bad Barbara. Everybody wants justice because I think they think if there's justice in this case, maybe that sends a message that we can't just have anarchy in this country right now and people can't just like express their hate through violence the way that the Prince President is sort of making it seem like you can. Outside the courtroom, Benson and Rowinds are talking and Rollins is like, yeah, it was really with her until she said that you knew, and Benson goes, bitch, you know that never happened, right, And then Barbara comes up and goes, can I chat with you? Benson goes, yeah, you know that never happened, right, And he's like, listen, she's been through a lot. She could have fucked up the timeline. And Benson's like, why what are you doing? Are you telling me to like back the story? And Barbara goes, no, I'm saying she's a human. I'm not telling you what to say. But it's like he sort of is intimating it right, and he tells her she needs to do what she believes is right. It's like, Barbara, if you wanted to do something that you wanted to do, you got to know if you say do what's right, she's going to do the actual right thing. That's the Benson play. So now Benson is playing with toddler Noah. This is his last episode Audios to my favorite Noah. He's not in the show anymore after this one. And there is a knock and she thinks it's Lucy, her babysitter slash co parent, but it is eyebrows Dods and he's like, oh, I was just in theighborhood. And she was like, I didn't think people said that anymore. And he goes, I'm just here to give you advice. There are no good choices or bad choices. Whatever you choose your good I'm going to make sure your backside is covered. And she's like, I didn't know my backside needed covering, and like, also, sir, like one hr seminar, I don't think you should be talking about your subordinates asses in any way. But and he's like, you know, I've been in this situation. I'm good at rationalizing. And she goes, well, what would you have told Mike, you know, Mike Dodds baby Dodds, who has passed, And he goes, same thing, I just told you. So now we're wondering what's Benson going to do. Is she going to go with what these two men in her life that she respects and works with have to say, or is she going to do what she thinks is right. So in court, she's back on the stand. She's sticking to the truth as she always does. That Maya story did not change until after Hector was shot and killed, and that's normal, she says, for victims of trauma, and Benson shared. There's a quick look with Maya, who looks disappointed that Benson didn't go along with it, but she does throw in there, I don't think she's doing this maliciously. I think she's doing this because victims of trauma can change their stories. I just can't tell you that this was told to me when it was said, it was told to me. Outside the courtroom, Maya approaches Benson, furious, you said you would help us, you said you cared, you don't care. She's pissed. Leila leads her away. Benson looks shook, and then Carlene, the wife of Mitch, comes has been watching this whole interaction, and she comes up to Benson and goes, they're angry at you, huh, because you didn't back her story about seeing my husband. I do not know what is causing this woman's change in complete personality that she would have any empathy for this like brown family, after she's just been literally being like white people are being persecuted. And Benson is like, girl, your husband is guilty as fuck, and Carlene is like, I know what they did, and Benson is like, so do something about it. And She's like, I know he's a bad guy. You've called the police, and you know you could be his next victim. Like come on, like tell the truth for you and your son and then take a step towards freedom and safety. Okay. So now on the stand, Carline is testifying and when they ask her if her husband was with her that night, she says no, he was not, and she says I lied when I alibied him. He is furious, of course. Over at the defense table, she says she didn't see him until early the next morning and he had blood on his pants and shoes. Her husband, Mitch, gets up and fucking runs for her, ass like he might dream roll a dream roll, yeah, like he is going to kill her. He runs for her and he gets obviously subdued. And now Barba is in press conference number four, saying justice has been served, literally the fourth time in the episode. He is standing on the steps surrounded by press. We gotta do a drinking game. Yeah yeah, maybe we'll say it in the intro for this episode, drink every time Barbara has a press conference or you see a protest, You'll be wasted. By the end of this episode, Barba's in press Conference number four, saying justice has been served so clearly these guys were found guilty. Finn says, hell of a case. Benson says hell of a year, and he's like, you got the conviction, that's all that matters, and Live goes. I wish it were that simple. And then Barba's at the precinct now offering to buy Live a drink and she's like, no, I got to get home, and he's like, are you upset with me? And she's like, we all have to answer to our own gods, and he says, luckily, mine is a little more accepting than yours. And I don't know what that joke is, Like, I know Rishkahargate is religious, but I don't really feel like they've ever said that Benson is religious, and so I think they're just talking about their internal gods, like Benson is the god of like justice, that is completely the right thing all the time, and Barba's is a little bit more. Even with her, we know that's not true. She's made a couple, Ben's for sure. I can't think she's done some loosey goosey stuff, and she's done some luy where she's called in some favor. She's called, she's called the press or whatever, but she's never like lied on the stand. She's done some backhanded shit to have evidence come out or to whatever, but she hasn't lied on the stand, Like she'll never lie about something happening. I feel correct us if we're wrong. I feel like I want, I want to find something. Yeah, but I don't. I love her so like I don't know what I'm doing. Like, well, there was a time where she did something, remember you, and I going, that's so not her. She would never do this. But even then, I don't think it was like lying on the stand or lying to another cop about like an invested like you know, but I don't know. I mean, she obviously like did a little bit of fibbing to cover for Rowins when Rollins was like involved in all her gambling and shit. Like she does lie, I just don't think she lies or like Maria Bello, did she lie to help her? Yeah, maybe she lied to help get Calvin or something. I don't know. She really wants to be a mom at that point. But yeah, but you know, so they're just sitting there, they're standing there, and then Eyebrows walks in to solemnly inform them that a mosque has just been firebombed in East Harlem and there are five dead and everyone is stunned, silent, And that's Dick wolf Baby the double episode. I don't know, I just I don't know some of their some of their like incredulity about this stuff is like I stopped living in New York like a year before this episode came out, and I knew that this stuff was happening, you know what I mean. I just feel like there's always been stuff happening. Hate crimes, you know, they seem like they're just like, wait, what people hate each other? I don't know, But it's not that this episode is so still from the ice to the hate crimes, to the sentiment about certain groups, this episode is still so relevant. But let's get into the real crime. Well, first of we'll do.
Speaker 2: A little just Touchstone. That's not even the right word. Listen, sanctuary cities. We're going to touch stone sanctuary cities. It's actually in the news yesterday. There were articles about it because basically, so we're taping on the twenty sixth of May, so May twenty fourth and twenty fifth. Basically, Homeland Security Secretary Mark Wayne Mullen reiterated his threat to withdraw US Customs and Border Protection officers from airports and so called sanctuary cities, and that of course jeopardizes you know, flights and security and everything. And the Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy's like, well, that doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 1: But it's like, are you're in this administration? Like what does make sense to you? I'm sorry, but even in the first four sentences of you reporting this crime, you have mentioned a man named Mark Wayne, which I think should be illegal. That's his first name, Mark wayn Mark Wayne is his first name. He has no qualifications to be the Secretary of Homeland Security. And you mentioned Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy, who is from the fucking Real World, another reality star. He is from Real World Road Rules. He has nine children with Rachel from Real World San Francisco, and they have like nine kids together and they're filming a reality show. So that's the nightmare that we live in. But keep going. I didn't even know any of that. Yeah. Sean Duffy says that we should all dress up for flights again, that we should all dress up for flights, and they want to make airports more family friendly. I'm like, how are you talking about making things more family friendly? And that we also have to dress up. I got to chase after my kids in the airport now in a slack or like a dress. What are you talking about, honey?
Speaker 2: If you're not gonna let me smoke in the skies, I'm not dressing up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I have to say. You want me in a little old dress. I need to be able to smoke some weed. That's what I need. Take me back, No, this is a nightmare. It obviously would cause a lot of disruption, which of course is the point. So what are sanctuary city? Is what is going on?
Speaker 2: And there's no strict definition for sanctuary policies or cities, but the terms, the terms generally describe limited cooperation with ICE. So it's about limiting cooperation with federal immigration scum and creating safe and welcoming environments for undocumented immigrants. It's a catch all term, not a legal designation, but its places adopting these policies that afford some protections to undocumented immigrants. And yeah, they don't have to fuck with federal agents that seek to detain and deport these people, but the agents can still do whatever they want, just the government doesn't have to help, like the local government.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically he sucks.
Speaker 2: And so like, yeah, when our president the first time he was there, the courts are like, fuck you, We're not cutting funding to these cities that are helping immigrants. But obviously it's a nightmare now. And then the Center for Immigration Studies as a map and as highlighted all the sanctuary cities, counties states. It was updated March tenth, twenty twenty six. By the time I looked at it, so pretty up to date. And the places listed have like, like I said, like laws, ordinances, regulations, resolutions, policies or other practices that obstruct immigration enforcement.
Speaker 1: I already said all this, like you guys get it.
Speaker 2: And then these policies hopefully like block a wall of communication between these agents and like all these city workers and like I don't know, but I don't trust the city workers, like even within these cities, you know. But basically the states are California, colorad Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, and Washington states. There are dozens. No, like states, it's like all the states. And then there's dozens of counties in cities like dozens. It would be crazy if I listed them all, but they're on this immigration site. And then there are tons that are also part of regional jail and also state facilities, so those are highlighted as well. But again not laws that prohibit ICE from arresting and deporting people, but they hopefully make it harder.
Speaker 1: But they the federal agents do have brought authority kind of how they let Benson know. Now to the horrific hate crime.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is the case of Adam Purrenton, who's a white man who committed a hate crime and he shot an Indian man, Srinivas Kuchibolta, who is thirty two at the time of his death. And this guy, Adam, wounded two other men at this restaurant in Northwest Stern, Kansas on February twenty second, twenty seventeen. So it all started when this dude approached these men who he thought were Middle Eastern and from Iran and asked started asking about their immigration status. And Kuchabolta worked as a senior aviation systems engineer okay, super talented engineer, helped companies build airplanes and helicopters like that, integrated within this technology company he worked with and software smart guy well regarded very good technically his coworkers and bosses say, but like super quiet and very friendly.
Speaker 1: Witnesses said.
Speaker 2: The gunman confronted Kuchibolta angrily and his friend Aloke Madasani at Austin's Bar. And this is in a Leith, Kansas or Oleaitha, Kansas. But this is where I stay when I do it. It's twenty minutes outside of Kansas City. Oh really, but this is like where the club I do and where I stay. So this bar is called Austin's. It's like two guys after work having some beers, and he started screaming at them to get out of his country. So he shot eight rounds inside this restaurant. He killed Kuchibolta and then wounded his friend Madissani. And then the third man was Ian Grillo, and he was in his early twenties and he was shot when he tried to help stop this guy outside the bar and like try to apprehend him. But Matsani said that Adam was sitting alone and that him and his friend were together, and he saw anger in his face when he approached, like these guys like immediately and you know, was like, are you here legally? And according to the DOJ reported by PBS that Adam then poked Kuchibolta in the chest, calling him a terrorist and other racist epithets and said get out of my country. And then Ian, another bar patron, took Adam out of the bar okay and then Madissani said, other people kept coming up to them being like you belong here. These people don't represent us, like like they were very supportive of.
Speaker 1: These two guys, these y because this man is absolutely doing more for our country than this fucking guy. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Always and then you see this guy's photo and you guys should go to our instagram if you want to see it. But it's like exactly this guy would do this, you know what I mean. It's like a fucking just disgusting loser. But this is what's wild. So he drove home, retrieved the semi automatic pistol, put on different clothes to disguise his identity, according to the Dua DJ, and then thirty minutes later he returned and that's when he shot the eight rounds at these two men. So it's like Ian did get him out of the bar and like got him home. But then this motherfucker came back and not.
Speaker 1: A fucking weasel. I mean, h this man looks like he could be like forty, but has done enough drugs to make himself look like older. Like he just looks like athead. I think disgusting, No, disgusting.
Speaker 2: And then four of the bullets struck Kunchabolta and then he died later from his injuries. Matissani was shot once, thankfully lived and he told the New York Times he kept thinking about his pregnant wife and he really, you know, held on. But as he fled at you know, this guy, Ian tried to catch him, and that's when Adam shot him as well.
Speaker 1: Who did survive.
Speaker 2: Kuchibolta left behind his loving wife, who is now you know, a widow. Sunayana Dumala and classic story, young couple in love coming to the States for postgraduate degrees and jobs. They were planning to have a family and make Kansas home. They had a great group of Indian friends. He liked playing cricket, loved dinner parties. She said, you know, she was home and she could not get a hold of her husband or his friend, and she assumed, oh, they probably grabbed a drink.
Speaker 1: It was like super wildly warm.
Speaker 2: It was winter, but it was in the seventies, so she's like, I'm sure he's just getting a beer, but like, what the fuck? And then she started just scrolling Facebook and her kind of fears of like, why isn't he hitting me back? It all kind of hit her. So a news story pops up. Three shot at this bar, Austin's. She got scared.
Speaker 1: She was all alone. She began to cry and like he.
Speaker 2: Would have let her know if he was safe, like she knows her husband, and yeah, people scattered. Vincent Baird, who he was headed, This is strange. So he was headed to the gas station across the street, then ran towards the chaos to help.
Speaker 1: And he was an army medic. He went straight to the victim. But this is where I have an issue.
Speaker 2: So he saw the gunshot wounded in the chest and I'm not an army medic, but like, with the help of two others, he cut a four inch square from an unused garbage bag and then taped it over Oh, never mind.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with all this.
Speaker 2: I thought he like cut into the skin like in the movie Heat, And that's why I was just like, what the fuck, Like you couldn't.
Speaker 1: Wait a little bit for the EMTs. You're cutting into his chest, but I was just probably working on it. It's too late, okay. So he just like cut a piece from an unused garbage bag, taped it over the wound.
Speaker 2: He checked for other wounds. There weren't any. He turned him on his side, and then he's like he stopped breathing, and then with chest compressions, he would breathe, but then he would stop breathing, and the ambulance came. He was pronounced dead at the University of Kansas Hospital. H SO police found Adam more than eighty miles away from the crime scene and told officers that he had killed two Middle Eastern men, like he didn't even know where care, Like these people are so fucking stupid, like stupid. Not that it yeah, not that you should hate a Muslim person or a Middle Eastern person or Indian, like none of that matters, but it's like you don't even know who, why, what where?
Speaker 1: You fucking probably couldn't shit put any of these places on a map, like does not know where anything is or what I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I could either, I'll be honest, I still would not commit a crime. They were both after work regulars like everyone. And then a few weeks prior to this incident, actually another regular said that he like came out to the path, he came in from the patio to the bar and goes, did you see the terrorists on the patio? So he's had an issue with these guys for a while. He was formally charged with pre meditated first degree murder since he did go get the gun and come back, two counts premeditated attempted murder charge and then federal hate crime charges, and he did admit in open court that he targeted the victims because of their race, color, and national origin. And that's from the Justice Department via PBS. May twenty eighteen, he agreed to a plea deal that recommended the max sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for the hate crime and firearm offenses against him. In turn, prosecutors agreed to not pursue the death sentence. He then also got sentenced to another sentence of life in prison in August twenty eighteen for the state charges of murder and attempted murder, and those are served consecutively. He's not getting out and go fuck you and you know, sorry, it's just like.
Speaker 1: What tells these guys, like the dog whistles obviously, like something tells these guys like you're so important, You're so brave and important, you need to go get rid of these people that are ruining the country, Like it's gotta be you go home, go home, change your clothes, get your gun, and come back and just get rid of Like it's so out of I would normally say only insane people would think like that, but then it's like, I do think that a lot of the rhetoric from politicians on that side have told these men that that's the truth. And then you see people like Kyle Rittenhouse get out of jail or avoid jail time for it. You know, I do know. It's like, really, it's really upsetting. So anyway, what's not upsetting is the amazing guests that we have coming up, So do not move a muscle. Our guest today has starred on such shows as Never Have I Ever and The Night Of and is currently starring in Deli Boys, But you know her best as today a woman who's going through a lot of hard times. Maya Samra please enjoy our chat with the fashionable and fun Porna Jaggonathan. I don't know if we should just start out with all of the mutual friends that we have with you. Like I was just talking to my friend Emily Gordon. Oh my god, hie on On Jianny's wife and my dear friend. Both of them are my good friends, and she was like, she's so great. She was like, she's into fashion. I go, well, I've googled her, so obviously I can tell that, Like, you know, you're.
Speaker 5: Really a fan of hers.
Speaker 4: And you know who's the biggest fan of hers and starts crying when he talks about her is her husband.
Speaker 6: Oh I know, they're like the most in love people. It's crazy, they're in love. They're so sweet about each other. And you know he's just gooley eyed around her. It's the sweetest thing to see.
Speaker 2: And then I really love Asafa and we yes, I love Austin from stand up and I asked him to send in a question give it to me, so he and I'm.
Speaker 1: On two percent and then this will be perfect. Yes, let's get this question before Liza's full time.
Speaker 2: He says that you have an amazed she she does have an amazing story of being a guest star on a show and the experience was so wild that you took time off of acting. Whoa, Oh my, it kind of froze. So I thought maybe it was like a terrrible thing. And I was like, oh, should we have not brought it up? So I was like to take time off for that long?
Speaker 5: You know, but oh my god, I blame Hugh Grant. Did you know the story?
Speaker 1: No, I can't wait to know it. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So my story is that I didn't become an actor till my thirties. Like I quit advertised at thirty, and I was like, I really want to try this acting thing.
Speaker 5: But I'd never acted before, I'd never trained before.
Speaker 4: I'd taken some like classes in college, and you know, it was awful, but I was I was just like, how can I figure out if I am good or not? Right? So I went in for my graduate Like I started doing a graduate degree from a place called the Actors Studio, And they have guests every week, right, And one of the guests was Hugh Grant and one you know, after he talks, the students get to ask questions.
Speaker 5: This is year one, I know, not think about acting.
Speaker 4: And someone asking about his rehearsal process on Nodding Hill with Juliet Roberts, and.
Speaker 5: He said, what I love about Julia is she's.
Speaker 1: A lot like me.
Speaker 5: We don't really like we mumble for our auditions.
Speaker 4: And you know, as an acting student, you're like, what do you mean you mumble like we sat and he said, we mumbled through our rehearsal, like we mumbled through our rehearsals, like you'd.
Speaker 5: Get kicked out of your certain production, Like that's not an option, and he said these words.
Speaker 4: He said, Well, we just like to not really know our lines that much because I like to keep it fresh as a daisy.
Speaker 5: Those are the words he used.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get cast in one of the biggest parts ever, my first of my probably my career in Law and Order, the original, and I show up without knowing my lines.
Speaker 5: Oh no, because I want to keep it fresh as a daizy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And and Law and orderly Yeah.
Speaker 4: And for whatever reason, I had page after page after page of dialogue.
Speaker 5: It's a huge ass part.
Speaker 4: And I kind of knew it because I did it for the audition, but the writer also one of his first things, so he changed it a lot. And I was balancing my advertising career also had a huge project you, so I was just like, I'll just you know, fresh as a daisy it. I show up with that nomal lines and the guy, why am I forgetting his name? The older guy who died recently, not recently, like ten years, eight years ago, Jerry. He screamed at me, Oh no, apparently he's the nicest guy in the world. And he's like, now then you show up to said, we are not in your line.
Speaker 5: This is crazy to me. And it's the coldest day in New York. We're doing an outdoor scene.
Speaker 1: It's oh my god. I like, that's like, so what happened.
Speaker 5: I don't know how I got through it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, I numbed out that. You know, my my biggest gift is the gift of complete association. So I come leave numb doubt and I don't know how I got through it. And it was a scene where they come and tell me my boyfriend is killed. Completely numb emotionally, I was like, Okay, like no emotion at all, the worst performance.
Speaker 5: Of my life.
Speaker 4: Couldn't couldn't really, I just couldn't act. And you know, it was my first gig after being in school for a couple of months, and it was awful, and I just stopped acting. I was like, this is not obviously, this is not for me. And it took me so much a long time to get myself back in there, maybe a year or so. And so when I got on Law and Order SVU and there were so many lines I could have done them backwards and forwards and in any language.
Speaker 5: I knew them so well.
Speaker 1: Never gonna happen again, not on your own, it's universe. But what was the thing that got you back in after that year?
Speaker 4: You know I was.
Speaker 5: I was terrified.
Speaker 4: I mean what the other story that they didn't tell you is that I'd never been on a set like you guys don't understand what that means, Like I don't.
Speaker 5: I haven't. I hadn't been around an act like Bradley Cooper went to school at the Actors Studio.
Speaker 4: So he came and spoke to us, and that's like the second time my life I've ever seen an actor. You know what, I mean the first one when I was like seven years old. I went to set and then you know, I did a costume fitting and weak. It was kind of my style, used to wear a skirt over pants, but I'd also bought a really cute skirt the other day. So I come out of the trail and go to set in my own clothes.
Speaker 1: This is not the law in order that you did. Did they say something?
Speaker 4: She didn't say anything because she had never seen anything like that, and she was dumb struck, so she didn't raise her voice anything. She just said, you need to go back and change. This has never happened in my career. She was just very calm, and I was.
Speaker 5: Like, oh, oh I had. I was like, I didn't know what a mark was.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the actors studio didn't really teach you the right stuff.
Speaker 5: They were just you know, it was theater. It was theater training. I did you know, you don't train for film.
Speaker 4: You don't know you're not getting film and TV training.
Speaker 5: You have no idea what's going on. I didn't.
Speaker 4: When they called action, I basically I blew my wad during rehearsal, like the emotional wand and I had enough it was a comp Everything that can go wrong went wrong with my first gig, and it took me a lot of a lot of time and a lot of healing and a lot of like courage.
Speaker 1: To get back. But and yet they had you on criminal intent like a couple of years later. So obviously you didn't make too bad of an impression. I must have.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think they just all they see so many actors, they just got all confused.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, they were like, what it was a small doctor role.
Speaker 4: And that was funny because it was a doctor role and they called it doctor Sikh, and you know, seek is a religion.
Speaker 5: It's like being called doctor Muslim or doctor Jew or something like that.
Speaker 4: So it was like it was a small role, small doctor role, which by then I had, you know, done a couple and they were under my belt. But that I know, and re entering the universe with SVU was the scary for me.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm scary though. It's like a very intense. But before we move on to your sv episode, I was just going to tell you that you're not alone in this bad advice or tell me because we had Kathy Griffin on our podcast and she was, you know, friends with the late great Robin Williams, who basically pranked her and told her, oh, they love to play around on on Law and Order. Just don't even just improvise, say what you want. They love that. And Christopher Maloney got like furious, like you're your situation with Orbach Like he was like, why aren't you saying the lines that are written? Like I guess he went, we don't do that here. Yes, I think of all shows, that show is really stick to what's on the page, like.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, the strip supervisor was right here the entire time.
Speaker 1: She was right here.
Speaker 4: She she just couldn't believe, but no one could believe what was happening in front of them was awful. Oh my god, I've never been on a stricter set than Law and Order in terms of lines.
Speaker 5: That's the crazy part.
Speaker 2: That's good to have such a strict the first time, and this kind of happened because I'm sure you're so prepared for every like sure that changed everything, they changed and everything.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen Hugh Grant since you could tell him I.
Speaker 5: Didn't dying, just tell us you good, I am dying.
Speaker 1: I think he's an evil little man like I think he would really laugh. I mean, I'm a fan, but yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think like years on I kind of realized what he was saying, which is, you know, keep it, don't like edge with the lines.
Speaker 5: I kind of know it, but don't really know it until like the correct moments here.
Speaker 4: So even now when I rehearsed, when I've learned my lines, I am literally truly completely off book the night before, although I've been rehearsing for a month. Right, It's like that thing of you know, trying to not know it perfectly until the last minute so you can.
Speaker 5: So it feels very natural. I think that's what he meant.
Speaker 4: But it took me like twenty years of training to understand that. So as a as a young woman in her you know, I was like thirty maybe one when I got that advice.
Speaker 1: It just killed me. Wait and I'm sorry, do you guys know that you have started a movie together? Oh yeah, I'm in good Rich.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they cut all my fun but I have like one little line of a stand up in it, and it is with Michael Keaton.
Speaker 1: And so I got to have a day with Michael.
Speaker 5: Keaton, I know, So did I I took the project because of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was really exciting, and the fucking DP was so hot, Like do you remember everyone I do?
Speaker 5: And the director was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kitty. Do you look back on advertising in any fond way or no?
Speaker 4: Do you know? I all always will say it was an amazing experience because I had the best of everything. I had the best clients, best bosses, best views, best offices, best expense account was in the time where they didn't check your expense account at all.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a lot of.
Speaker 2: Time those because it is a rom com job, you know, like advertising like it is. I did it to be at the height of expense accounts. That's pretty fun.
Speaker 4: I mean when I met my husband, he was like, this is though, I'm going to marry this woman, like just any anything with an expense account.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 4: I you know, I always say I had the best of everything, and I feel like the universe gave me the best of everything just to show me that it wasn't enough, you know. I never I had that weird feeling on Friday, that relief and that sense of dread on Sunday, and I never got rid of it. I never I never got rid of it, and then you know, just to getting you know, I would do this trick and advertise, which is like it was getting harder and harder and harder for me to wake up to go to work like I was, you know, started getting really disconnected. And I had this trick where someone would call me saying, hey, can I do a meeting at nine thirty with you? And I'd be like, I only have two openings, ones at seven thirty am and ones at eleven thirty, so you know which one, and no one is going to come in at seven thirty to take a meeting, so they take the eleven thirty meetings, So my day only started eleven thirty. I always gave the perception to people that my day actually started seven thirty. And I can continue doing the least amount of work in advertising in my till today. My friends, you know, when I became an actor, I start my own brand consulting just to make ends meet and my friends from advertising with the people who always sustained me and always threw me freelance work and always kept me afloat until ten years ago when I quit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, and then how were well, how did the people in your life react to the career change.
Speaker 4: I mean it was so slow, Like I don't think book initially, when I first started, like you know, fifteen eighteen years ago, it'd be like two gigs, you know, two lines per year.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: It was so slow.
Speaker 4: And then I actually got a bit of a break doing a Bollywood movie. It was an independent Bollywood movie called Deli Belly and that just that was crazy. That was one of the most popular movies ever and so that and you know, that was a really huge role and it was outside of what I was playing. It was not a doctor, wasn't a warwyor it wasn't a nurse. The stuff that I was getting cast in, you know, in the States for it was like a very very funny, dark comedy, progressive movie. And a lot of my offers started coming out from India after that. So we all moved India for four years and I did Bollywood for four years. But while I wasn't India, I booked The Native and I think that really, which like was a pivotal change for me.
Speaker 1: Was such an amazing show, Like I was so so amazing right wait by that show, and I was like Rizaman is a star. I mean you were fantastic in it. You were amazing in it. But like he was, I was like, this guy is so good. That show was had me in a choke hold. I was wait, I haven't watched it. Maybe that's what that's gonna get me. Lisa. It's like, it's like, well, and I see John Chico is one of my face.
Speaker 5: I don't see you.
Speaker 4: I think the pilot of that show is one of the best pilots of TV.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna love it. I I don't know why. I was probably being annoying, like everyone loved it. So I was like, I'll watch it later.
Speaker 1: But uh, you just don't know what's gonna happen, Like you're really like, how is this going to end up? I'm excited, really good? So what did Marishka? So Marishka saw that and how did she?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what was I think she saw a genre that was very close to hers and she was just very inspired by it.
Speaker 4: She was very very inspired by this thing that was adjacent and felt like a world and she was she was he was captivated by it. And and so when this opportunity she you know, came up in the script, she told them to reach out to me, and that's.
Speaker 5: How I got the part.
Speaker 4: And you know, when I met her on set, we we every every moment on set where we had a bit of downtime, we were just talking about the Night Of, but you know, the the you know, the similarities and Night Off is a very kind of artistic take on SU almost it's a very kind.
Speaker 1: Of like it's not you know, HBO can do what what NBC really kind of can't in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Now when you get the scripts, Like, you know, SVU is an intense show. There's a lot of crimes all these years, but this is a really difficult watch. It's like an intense and it starts intense and in a few episodes it's.
Speaker 1: Like double the trauma, double the like crime, you know, because I think to sustain the story over two episodes, they had so many twists and this poor family more awful things keep happening to them, like every ten minutes, and it's twenty seventeen and it's like could be made today, which is off full. It's always with SVU, we say, it's like always ahead of its time, but then yeah, always relevant for some reason. Yeah, but like what were your initial thoughts when you read the script.
Speaker 5: Well, I always want to be on SVU.
Speaker 4: I'm a survivor of sexual assault, and for me, Murushka has always been like such a guiding light, you know, in our lives. Just as someone who you know as as Avie, you just you look at justice as very you don't feel it exists, you know, and even if you go through a system or whatever, there's there's such there's such a lack of feeling like what you know, you don't know what justice looks like anymore when you're a survivor. And yet there's this figure on TV who knows exactly what it looks like and exactly when it's delivered and exactly when it's not delivered. There's like a black and whiteness to her. Uh, She's able to hold what's right always, you know. And so I've always always always wanted to be like on that show. It's like it was a career highlight. And just to meet this woman and person who not only comes across as empathetic on screen, but who is truly truly an angel in real life. You know, we're good friends. I'm on the board of the Joyful Heart Foundation now and and I cannot speak higher of anyone in the business than her.
Speaker 5: She is, She is that person. She knows, she's the adult who will always know what is right and wrong. She she knows that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The quote is our children are allowed to push boundaries, and it's the adult who knows not to trespass them, you know.
Speaker 5: She she really understands that. So it was a very kind of it was we when I got on.
Speaker 4: Set, it was like we had known each other for years and we really remained friends for we have remained friends since since being on that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's yeah, Because I was reading about the play that you were in the near back Nearbaia.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you pronounced it perfectly and.
Speaker 1: Just sounded like it was a really impactful play for Yeah, you know it did it tour in the US or in India or both?
Speaker 5: It toured around the world?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and yeah, I toured around the world.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It just feels like another thing that's kind of joining SVU and Night of or any of these like kind of things that explore violence against women and how these things and the justice system in some ways.
Speaker 5: Right in the play, you know, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, I have to say that I love the name of your Instagram is pornography, which is very clever, and I love that. And I did scroll all the way back to many minutes because I was you know, sometimes people when we interview actors, they've posted when their episode aired or like bts and so you had a picture of like you and Marishka and maybe Peter Herman. Yes, oh my god, it was and I was like, there it is. It's way back at the it's way back in the twenty sixteen archives of the pornography page. But love Fest, Yeah, seems like it was, which is nice to hear because when you're watching your character just literally have her life kind of destroyed every other moment, it's like nice that when the cameras were off, you guys were like buddies and having fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean when I say in you my lines, I'm like, no, Like I could have been having a heart attack and I still know all my lines, Like I could have enough epileptic fit and I know my lines.
Speaker 5: I was dreaming them, eating them, drinking them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were great, because I really, like I wanted them to just let it go with the perjury. At the end, I was like, to let it go. They did it like we let it go. But we have to keep the integrity of these at least in this justice system, which we know is a fantasy. They have to sit corners.
Speaker 4: But it's important to have that fantasy, you know, it's important to have something even if it's fictional that looks like just this, we don't we actually don't get anywhere near.
Speaker 5: It in real life, but it's important to hold the fantasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any other things you remember from sets, stories, part of the work.
Speaker 4: I just think, oh yeah, the way I think. I mean, I remember Rowlas Baranza.
Speaker 5: I just really love him.
Speaker 4: And he had I had my scene and he had a play to go to and we were running a little over and they had done his coverage and it was my coverage, and.
Speaker 5: He just was like, no, I'm going to miss the play. I'm going to be there for your coverage.
Speaker 4: So it was it was an extraordinary They're all extraordinary, extraordinary actors and extra Kelly Giddish just just everyone. We spend so much loving time together and you know, I will go back to the SVU said and see them pretty often and it's oh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't tell you how how very very special it is. I can't. I don't have enough words.
Speaker 4: And you know, there's not one person who will tell you otherwise I wonder if there is actually but it's a very well.
Speaker 1: We've interviewed a lot of people and not really nobody's really say anything bad, and people about Marishka unprompted, you know.
Speaker 4: So unprompted. And it's also like, for me, it's what female leadership actually looks like. You know, you don't see great examples of it anywhere. It's a it's a set that is led with empathy and kindness and compassion.
Speaker 1: And rigor and.
Speaker 4: And just a sort of fierce, loving leadership that doesn't exist on many sets and doesn't exist in many.
Speaker 5: Places in the world.
Speaker 1: And I think it has to be the explanation of the longevity of the show. I mean, there's kind of no way that it would be heading into season twenty eight soon if it wasn't for that like it was, and that her being like the guiding like the steward of that ship. Because we I mean, there's a million shows that are classics. Everyone loves them and they're like, oh yeah, the main. Sorry, but usually man on the show was a nightmare. And that's why, like you know, at season nine, everyone was over it, you know, like it'll think things good to go. Yeah, you just cannot last that long with like a toxic lead or whatever.
Speaker 5: I agree now, no one wants to come to work with a toxic lead. No one wants it.
Speaker 1: This episode actually does a good job of Usually Benson gets through places and she gets stopped so much. You know, the fact that the sun does get deported is like.
Speaker 5: That was really heartbreak, and I was, yeah, it was heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: Or even the sea, Oh yeah, I remember a really interesting thing, which is a costume.
Speaker 5: This time I didn't come with my own costume.
Speaker 1: It's just just so.
Speaker 4: But the costume designer and I were talking. She did two really cool things. She did one where we were just I was going to be in the hospital and my hit job was ripped off, and so we were talking about how do you get like what is the state of the hit job when you're being questioned the hospital? And then she said, maybe we use the hospital cloth and put it on it as a hit job, right, just to give you that. And I thought it was such a beautiful touch. Right, just to use a thing that someone hands me, something I can recover my my head with it. It was really beautiful. And then for the courtroom scene, she wanted something really really special for me to feel really kind of like a big big deal. And one of my favorite New York brands is Nearly low Tan. So she went and got me this really expensive shirt from Nellie low Tan and she just you know, I didn't go home with it, but I I had it for the scene. It was just like these massive acts of care that that went into every aspect of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're getting I mean details. I wanted to ask you about accents. Like, first of yes, you looking up your background. You grew up in India but also Pakistan, Ireland, Brazil, Argentina. You speak like five language, six languages. I don't know when how did you like Your accent sounds very kind of like neutral to me, So I'm wondering, like how your accent like evolved. And then separately, what is your feeling of like when you have a part that requires an accent, like you know, like deciding how you're like you want to you know, like you're not from Damas, Like did you learn a Syrian accent for this and then you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, I sat with I want a Middle East stern accent, so I said, you know the comedian ramy mm hmm. Yeah yeah, So him and I just spent hours just really for this particular episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Really yeah, just.
Speaker 4: Kind of going through the lines and nailing the accent. A lot of listening to tape, a lot of listening to news and getting it. But you know, my accent is very contextual. So when I'm seeking to my husband, who is like has a pretty strong Indian accent, my accent will be much more Indian. When I'm speaking to someone from South America, It'll it'll become a lot more like little Tea and sing song Gie. The second I meete a British person, I have to really hold on to myself otherwise my whole like weird Irish. I just went to Ireland for a visit, and you know, I just my, my, my, I just start doing weird things because you know, I was living in Ireland until I was nine, like five to nine, and I spoke with such an incomprehensibly heavy Irish accent. Yeah, so it's definitely somewhere always in my body and like or in Brazil, like I was speaking flint Portuguese, but it's been you know, thirty years since I lived there, so I can understand it, and it takes me a long time to start speaking it again.
Speaker 5: You know, stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So I would say, in my thirties, I fluently spoke many many languages, but now in my.
Speaker 5: Fifties, I'm fluent.
Speaker 4: I can understand a lot fluently, but speaking I take, I take a lot more time to get back into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we spoke to like aust If Monvee about accent stuff and like some of what did he say? He well, he was saying like there was He's like because he was on his view early early, like I said, I think season three or something, and in the city.
Speaker 2: Or really early too, not early, it's actually later sex in the city, but it's important to me.
Speaker 1: But he does an Indian accent and then he I think, like he was saying, like later in life he stopped wanting to just take roles that had Indian accents for like the sake of it or something like or I think I have to refresh my memory on that interview. It was a couple of years ago. But he just had I thought he had an interesting perspective on the roles he was taking and the accent work and everything.
Speaker 4: I agree, and I'm I also do the opposite man, which is when a role doesn't require an Indian accent, I'll do it with an Indian accent.
Speaker 1: Does your character in Deli Boys have an Indian accent? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Very much so.
Speaker 4: She is.
Speaker 5: She is an immigrant.
Speaker 4: So I never have I ever in Deli Boys and I'm playing, you know, okay, like a woman from like an if you know, immigrant. But there will be roles that I'll do, and you know, I just want to make sure that because our accent is it's it has been made fun of for like decades, So how do you reclaim it and do roles which are not comedy and which are like serious and which are you know, have deaths and and it's a three dimensional character but with an Indian accent, and how do you kind of dignify it. So a lot of times I will now go back in and if the character has just a generic American name, I'll make it Indian. I'll try and do it with an Indian accent, just to try and reintegrate and reshift the narrative around it.
Speaker 1: Cool, that's interesting. What are you Deli Boys? Is there a season two date yet?
Speaker 5: It's May twenty Oh no way.
Speaker 1: So it's about to come out. Oh it's about Yeah. I think as of this episode it will have dropped. Oh, well it have Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 5: It's a great season. I don't know if you guys know about Deli Boys, but it's about. It's about.
Speaker 4: It's action packed and we run like a cocaine empire.
Speaker 1: Anything else pop coming on that you would like our people to know about.
Speaker 4: Uh, Green Lanterns, I mean Green Lanterns that comes out August sixth.
Speaker 1: Is that's the DC thing.
Speaker 5: That is a DC thing.
Speaker 1: I'm married to a nerd, so sometimes he quizzes me on what's DC and what's Marvel? And I have to I have to know it.
Speaker 5: I'm just am entering that conversation.
Speaker 4: I I I when I got the audition, I was like, they don't want me. I know nothing about this world.
Speaker 5: I'm not I'm not a good fit.
Speaker 4: But it's a you know, I think the scripts are really one of the most brilliant scripts I've read for this particular genre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's called Lanterns.
Speaker 5: It's called lantern.
Speaker 1: It's is it based on green lantern? Yes? Okay, Well, Lisa and I do have a mutual friend who recited the green Lantern oath at his wedding vows. So I know somebody who will be going to who will be watching your show. You're doing something that is such cool stuff such VERI cool, thank you, thank you, a thrill and a nation to like do your career.
Speaker 2: People don't always do that, especially when you're rewarded with fun stuff.
Speaker 5: Such a fun journey.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean like leaving advertising, taking the risk doing something it's like really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you know, you just have to keep in mind that things may not work out and you have to find your sweet spot and doing something you love you keep keep in water.
Speaker 5: Like at some point when I wasn't working at all, I was like, I'll just be an acting class. That's okay.
Speaker 4: And I go to a school called the Barrow Group in New York. It's one of, I think one of the best places to learn acting, and for me just being.
Speaker 5: In class was enough. At some point it was great.
Speaker 4: And so you have to be okay with whatever place in the spectrum of of when you're expressing your creativity.
Speaker 5: You land in.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, love her, love her, love her story, chills, chills, I'll never forget. Yeah. I love also that you got this group from asif so that we could get that story, because that was fun.
Speaker 2: Fresh as a daisy. I mean, can you imagine like fucking Lumier yelling at you like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Loumier, Oh my god, he's like Cherie, get off my set. He hates her. But that, I mean, she's so good, She's so good and everything. It's honestly making me want to watch Deli boys. I'm gonna start watching it. But wow, I mean today's episode post mortem, what are we?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: This is just sad.
Speaker 2: You know, last week we had fucking, you know, homophobia chats. This week is races, like hate is not good, Like why it doesn't make anyone's lives better?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 1: I mean I almost like hate that in like in the minds of oh my god, I'm just calling her Emma. But what is she in the episode? Norene or something? The wife. She's like, you guys don't care about white people anymore. You only care about people that are like try this and that and it's like, okay, so we've turned our attention to some marginalized groups, so now you guys can just go out and murder people. I'm confused, Like, wow.
Speaker 2: That's the well, it's the classic like if you have privilege, equality seems like oppression. Yes, it's like that classic thing where but yeah, no, school, all these things suck, Like all kids should get attention and help if they need, whether they're super smart or behind, or speak English or don't, or artistic or can't or can't write, and maybe they could do an oil like all of that, but that's funding. And like they don't, like no one realizes the reason our country is shitty is because of racism, Like they don't want to understand, like for our country's goal is to make sure black people don't have things. Because of that, all children are punished, yeah you know what I mean. And it's like, yeah, why does your kid get more than the other?
Speaker 1: Like all kids. Like it's like college was free and then.
Speaker 2: Black people started going and Reagan went not on my watch, you know what I mean. It's like everything is worse because they didn't want black people. Because there's a book I have to I should read it. But like that there used to be public pools everywhere and then when integration in communities. But then integration happened, and white people would rather not have a pool in their community than share it with black people. And that's why there's not pools everywhere like there used to be, you know what I mean. It's like they're constant work, like they're constantly ruining their own lives, yeah, and then blaming like black people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then that like these and the policies that also turn different minority groups against each other, like in the episode when the guy was like, even the Latinos hate us now, like they think it's our fault that for all these ice raids and stuff. And it's like, I mean, the policies are blanket racist against a lot of people. But you guys shouldn't turn on each other, like, you know, if you're being persecuted, don't turn on other persecuted people. So but good job.
Speaker 2: It's like propaganda to the max, and it works. It fucking works. Like we all know if have we not seen a bug's life? Come on, you know, when the ants gets together, the grasshoppers stand no chance fear. You know, you can instill fear when the ants will work together. But it's just so complicated, and it seems like humanity hasn't shifted. I was watching one book guy on Instagram saying how like he reads so many classics, some books from like hundreds of years ago, and how human even if the language is different, we're not like humans are so the same, Like we haven't actually changed, Like we want the same thing, like everything you know, and and it seems like all of our flaws are still the same, and like, just we're not.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I was just having that same conversation in a text thread about this Olivia Rodrigo thing, which by the time this episode comes out, this is like a moment. Well it's a radio he's talking about it. Yeah, But in general, we were like talking about how we were like, wait, so she can't wear what she wants like this is I was like, yeah, it's very much giving what was she wearing? And my friend was saying the same thing. It's just so funny how people just have the same ideas over and over again, like they're just also Olivia talks about the same shit, and Olivia talks about it, she goes, you guys are perverts. You're saying it's infantile and I'm doing some sexy baby thing, but I'm trying to look like Courtney Love and like Kate Bush, yeah, or was that Kate Bush or maybe some other cool rock starre that I don't know, but she's like, I wanted to look like these cool women from the nineties and you're the perverts. Yeah, but it's same with like, shit, a little girl where bikinis it's like, yeah, it's hot, like one pieces are annoying, Like I don't know what's the big Like who cares? You're the pervert? Yeah, you're the pervert. Like just yeah, like that said, we don't need this many cutouts. There's too many cutouts in little kids bathing suits. I'm not putting a bunch of sunscreen on a little patch that well now it's like swim shirts or whatever. But it's like, but also, little girls should be able to wear just bottom what they want, what they yes, And Rosie always is like asking about that. She's like, why why can't ask you take off a shirt? And I can't. I'm like, you actually can't because everyone's a pedophile and we in our society, I don't care if you take your shirt off, like you can take it off, Like I let her run around topless at the beach the other day. Yeah, that's normal. I did not wear a bikini top when I was a kid. Remember the copper tone baby, wasn't it the copper tone baby? That was like a little dog. That's we pervert it to. We don't need a butt crack, Like I don't know right, but it was a baby not wear It was a little kid not wearing a top. It was a little girl wearing not wearing a top. The butt crack is different. Yeah, it's just like, oh, but should she wear that? And it's like, I don't know, should we like rip out the eyes of men? Let's do that instead, like a kid can't wear shorts and a tank top? Because it was basically what you were just saying before of like everyone just keeps going back to the same ideas and.
Speaker 2: Then every time something changes where we're like the way we treated Britney Spears was not okay, we need to change, and then we never ever ever change ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are still mean as fuck. We're still awful to people's body, Like Lena Dunham, Like we're still mean to her twenty years later. It's just like, I guess evolution took millions and millions of years, so maybe in our lifetimes we're not going to see as much y as we want.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's also because the people in charge haven't shifted in these hundreds of years. I mean, I also don't want to like diminish the progress that is made. Like you know, we have like a brown mayor who's Muslim.
Speaker 1: In New York, Like things change, there's more wit, but it's so slow. I'm so fucked and it's so frustrating, and like this episode is horrific. Watch your family that your son gets taken away. He'll get killed in this other country. Is like yeah, her brother but yeah, yeah, yeah brother, my bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I know it was like just a lot of and yeah, I mean yeah, we had a there was a conversation in this episode about what it's okay for people women to wear, right, yeah, so cover or not covering, and it's just but what it's like.
Speaker 2: But Olivia Rerigo is such a badass and like her last tour she was like giving like abortion pills and like giving money and going to states where like it was illegal, and she is like this badass and you think she's trying to be a Saxony, maybe go fuck yourself.
Speaker 1: I'll murder all of you. And I think in that sense, we like because you just brought up Brittany, I'm glad we have like sort of shifted into this era of pop stars that have feel like and I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it feels like they have more agency and they talk about with like Zara Larson is really cool. She talks about abortion really openly. I mean twenty years ago, pop stars would not be talking about that, you know, you know, they'd be talking about if they were virgins or not. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And not only that, like even with Sabrina Carpenter, I mean I didn't love you know, the cover with her hairbingled whatever. That's a personal thing, but you know, I see things written about her where it's like, even though it's sexy, it's still always for the female gaze, Like she is so for the female gaze, Like the show is for the girlies in this really cool way, and like Billie Eilish wearing baggy pants, like, no, the kids will be okay, it's us that.
Speaker 1: Will ruin it. For them. Yeah. Oh man, yeah, well I just.
Speaker 2: Never growing and thinking that it's like a fourteen year old in a tube tops the big problem.
Speaker 1: Seriously, women can't think about Well, someone sent me this video maybe you know link to it. That's about like how we how like purity culture has like inadvertently come back, not inadvertently like on p hold on, I gotta find this video. Yeah I watched. It's old as fuck. It's like the Phil Dona Hugh Show. Was it those girl that's saying that that gen Z accidentally reinvented purity culture? It's like a YouTube video. Well, we'll talk about it next week, Well, pity culture next week. They're more part of it than we think. They're not having sex, they're not drinking. Come on, guys, get out there. That's because they're depressed, because they're not going out, because they're on their phones. Like we used to mingle. We used to be outside. We used to be at a park for hours.
Speaker 2: We used to watch people play basketball and run around and sit at the mall and go to Barnes and Noble like like there was like they are at home, depressed, illiterate, and that's like another reading thing that I've been seeing too where it's like when men would be romance and all this stuff, but it's like it came from reading, it came from culture, and we're void of it.
Speaker 1: There's no accidents.
Speaker 2: They're not accidentally finding a thing and going oh my god. It's like their phone is feeding them what they want, like right, and now the fucking Ellison's own TikTok.
Speaker 1: Who knows what they're giving those kids? Oh my god. Yeah, you're right, it's just like it's a nightmare. But that's you know, the digital care. They are trying to go back. They're trying to go back. Yeah, they're trying some of them. All right, Well, we can't get too more depressing. Let's get to our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you to a book, an article, a movie, a documentary, an organization, something that gives you more information on what the episode was about. And this week I wanted to point you guys to the Shoulder to Shoulder Campaign, which is a national multi faith coalition of religious denominations and faith based organizations who are committed to ending anti Muslim hatred, discrimination, and violence in the United States of America. The effects of anti Muslim rhetoric and views have devastating impacts on the Muscle Slim community and those who are perceived to be Muslim ie SEK, South Asian era, Middle Eastern, et cetera. So for more information on this or to donate, head over to Shoulder to Shoulder campaign dot org. That will as always be linked in our show notes and in a story the day this episode comes out. How we save all those old stories in a little highlight called WWSPD so you can check out this one and what would sister peg dos of days gone by as well on our Instagram page, which is That's Messed Up pod. And next week we'll be doing lol devastating story. All right, then we're gonna be fun a funny one. There's not gonna be a fun one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, devastating story. Season sixteen, episode eighteen. We're obsessed with all of you. Thanks for listening. Bye, That's Messed Up as an exactly right part.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio, app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and.
Speaker 1: To our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun dun