Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty arm Strong and Getty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: I would say the seaspier is on massive life support. Where the doctor walks in and says, sir, your loved one as approximately a one percent chance of living.
Speaker 1: They give us a stupid perment. It's a stupid proposal, that piece of garbage.
Speaker 2: They said, Yes, I didn't even finish reading it. I said, I'm not going to waste my time reading it.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump yesterday on the proposal that they sent back Iran sent back to us, is this.
Speaker 2: Matter.
Speaker 1: It's like if the doctor came in and said, sir, your loved one as a one percent chance of surviving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't even finish reading it. Boy, they're blasting them on Morning Shoe for that. The President isn't even served.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't even read the Wow, wouldn't if the first line said reparation, say okay, I'm done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, we get to keep the straight You pay us back for all of them.
Speaker 1: And you're going to read all the fine print after that.
Speaker 3: Not only are we going to develop weapons, you got to give us some nuclear weapons, right, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why would you read that?
Speaker 3: It was an fuh a middle finger, but with diplomatic cover of saying it was a counterproposal for whom I don't know, to try to win the war. Well, you know, part of it's to to bolster the American left. I just gave myself the answer. They are giving the American left a club to beat Trump with, and the American left takes it because they hate their country and they hate the president.
Speaker 1: Here's ABC's report on how things are going.
Speaker 5: Ron to ten days to respond to President Trump's one page proposal meant to set the.
Speaker 1: Stige for peace hawks.
Speaker 5: According to Iranian state media, their demands called for the US to pay reparations, lift sanctions, and give them control of the strader for moves. Iran would not commit to any changes to its nuclear program until those conditions are met, the run's top negotiator warning, our armed forces are ready to deliver a well deserved response to any aggression.
Speaker 1: So it is a one hundred percent stalemate, call it a quagmire if you like that word. Now, and we have the ability to change the dynamics of that by bombing the crap out of them. Otherwise it's they clearly think they've got the upper hand. I mean, why would they wait ten days to respond with oh on that to offer youmainus few? Why would they with ten days? Because they think time is on their side. They think the days going by puts more pressure on Trump with his pull numbers or the price of gas or inflation that came out today or whatever. As opposed to Trump thinks every day that goes by, they're losing whatever it is, that half a billion dollars of revenue or something. They must not be worried about that.
Speaker 3: Especially because the IRGC doesn't give a crap about the people of Iran. The machine gun them in the streets, that's your first clue that they're not that compassionate. If you know unemployment surges and people are having trouble buying groceries, you will in a machine gun somebody. You don't care really whether they suffer. So, yeah, they're and given the current status of things, if all you care about is your elite, yeah they're fine.
Speaker 1: They're fine. We need to.
Speaker 3: Blow up everything that floats, from military craft to those fast boats to rubber freaking ducks. If they're within twenty five miles the coast of Iran. Anything that floats are gonna blow out of the water. Yeah, you're gonna you know, we've got that ratchet up the pain. The current thing is just ridiculous, the current situation.
Speaker 1: The Wall Street Journal's take on it was that the US and Iran are locked in a stalemate because neither one wants to resume fighting. Well, if there is fighting, we're on the winning side of that. If they're fighting. So I just I can't imagine. Well, there's only two ways out. Either Trump accepts. I guess they control the straight of hormones, which is international waters, for God's sakes. And I guess they'll continue to try to get a nuclear weapon, and I guess they'll keep their uranium and we'll end this. That's not an option, is it? Whoops? Yeah? Whoops? Yes, that didn't work the way I thought. That's not an option, is it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Surely not? No, God, you talk about a legacy killer.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, I mean he would be the lamest of ducks, humiliated.
Speaker 1: That'd be all he'd be remembered for. Perhaps, even with all the things that has gone on in two presidencies, maybe the only thing he'd be remembered for is starting a war in which the combatant came out better than when that started.
Speaker 3: I wonder because Donald Jay is so mercurial. I don't think he's gonna do that, by the way, right, No, I don't either. It would just it's so obviously a horrible idea. He can't have anybody in his ear saying that's a good idea. Marco wouldn't no, in any of his eleven jobs. Pete Hegsath wouldn't rage of raising Cain. General Kane wouldn't do Shady.
Speaker 1: Vance might oh boy, and he's the vice president.
Speaker 3: The Beard, the Beard, keep your eye, don't turn your back on the Beard. No, it's got to change the math quickly, because the current situation is it's better in some ways than the pre attack situation, in fact, in some pretty significant ways, but in some ways it's worse.
Speaker 1: It's just not an acceptable outcome. Well, if they end up in control of one of the most important waterways in the world, then they came out of this war better than they went into it, even losing their navy and everything else. I think.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a big deal. If that becomes the status quo it's at least a break even. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh.
Speaker 3: What I started to say and then I distracted myself is Donald JA is famously mercurial. Often it's not five dimensional chests. It's changing his mind constantly.
Speaker 1: The twins the text for the social truth posts from last night, your sentence, Oh yes please.
Speaker 3: And I can accept if the administration, including Donald JA, thought that the Iranians would capitulate more quickly than they are, that they had more disregard for the people in the economy. Uh, they were intact enough and unified enough to hang on when we thought they would give up. That's a miscalculation. That happens. You can understand that. It's unfortunate, but it happens. If he, as some critics have claimed, thought it would go just like the Maduro thing. We're so great, We're so powerful, I'm so smart, It'll be easy, peasy. Well, history and the soon to be written books about this episode will.
Speaker 1: Be extremely harsh if that's the case. So I think Trump's gonna start bombing Iran, and I think it can still come out the way we want it to. But Trump had fifty five truth social posts in three hours last night. He got on a jag of diet coke or something fifty five and three hours ten to fifteen accuses Obama of attempting a coup in twenty sixteen, followed by a Fresh on Everybody's Mind, followed by Obama worked with CIA to overthrow Trump, followed by reposts tweet saying Obama is a traitor and that he should be arrested. I mean, we're so used to this stuff, we don't even It doesn't even land. Like if I didn't come across this particular site, I wouldn't have known that the current president put out a statement last night saying the previous president should be arrested. That used to be a big deal. No longer even makes Wow. Are we Brazil? Now?
Speaker 3: Nobody takes it seriously. It's funny. You read that to me and I thought, oh wow, what's next.
Speaker 1: Nobody takes it seriously. He's not going to do anything. He's just on a jag. He saw something about Obama on somebody said something Obama about Obama on a cable news show and got him all worked out. I would guess wow. Ten twenty two at tax Dominion voting systems for the twenty twenty elections saying they switched votes. Ten twenty two says Fulton County, Georgia had their twenty twenty fraud exposed. Ten twenty three accuses Obama of making one hundred and twenty million dollars from Obamacare.
Speaker 3: He's a actually obsessed with the elections. I thought it was just strategic, and no, he's obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: Ten twenty three cites quack lawyer Sidney Powell on the twenty twenty election. Ten twenty four posts a fake JFK Junior account that says Obama wire tapped Trump tower. Ten twenty seven demands Senator Mark Kelly resigned. Ten twenty nine claims neither Biden nor Harris were in charge of the Biden administration. Ten twenty nine attacks Fulton County, Georgia again. Ten twenty nine posts Fox News clip of Rocanna saying something. Ten thirty demands Jack Smith be arrested. Wow. Ten thirty accuses Obama Clinton call me of treason. Ten thirty nine reposts a tweet from a MAGA account saying they have a secret intel proving Clinton and Obama committed crimes. Ten thirty nine reposts some maggot tweet saying Hillary Clinton should.
Speaker 3: Be sent to Haiti. What's a good one sent to Haiti? Lock her up in Haiti, Lock her up in Haiti.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it goes on and on with a lot of this sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: I am no Trump, basher, I am no. Trump is always right guy. That is not a sign of sound mental health. That list, And keep in mind, how far into the list did you get a third.
Speaker 1: Of the way. Oh, I don't even know if I got quarter. I don't know. That's not good. Well, it's not normal. I'm not I'm not of the camp that mainstream medias have been trying to build the narrative since he took office that he's got dementia or he's losing it, are whatever, which is weird. So you ignored the last president who clearly actually had dementia. Yeah, and then see you gotta like go overboard trying to build a case of this guy. I think Trump's always been this person. I think in nineteen eighty two, if he'd had the ability to shoot off his mouth fifty times a night on different topics, he would have right. I think that's just the way he's built.
Speaker 3: He would call magazines and newspapers as his own Press secretary or whatever John Miller and feed.
Speaker 1: The Media quotes. Yeah. Ten forty posts a TikTok video of people stealing from a convenience store, followed by ten forty one post a TikTok video of someone stealing a door deack shorder. I guess to show the crimes out of control.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Ten forty one accuses Obama, Brennan, and Clinton of sedition and treason again, going back to that from a half hour earlier.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: A half hour later, ten forty seven calls Obama the most demonic force in American politics. What was he watching where Barack Obama was the topic? Because that's too presidents ago.
Speaker 3: He's been weighing in heavily and wildly hypocritically on the redistricting thing.
Speaker 1: Right, he has been right, Obama, it just.
Speaker 3: Cannot leave the spotlight. He is so in love with his own influence.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, Obama said something the other day about the Court that was just outrageous from a former president. Of course, nobody, nobody's disgusting. Nobody criticizes that. Ten forty seven posts a tweet from Mike Flynn saying the twenty twenty election wasn't fair Oh my god. Ten forty nine attacks dominion voting machines again. You gotta be kidding the poor guy. I almost feel bad for him that he lays down for bed at night. You know he sleeps three hours a night still thinking about dominion voting machines from twenty twenty. What a tortuous way to live your life.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you I'm concerned about his mental health. Are you concerned about your health? Probably not. You're young, in hale and hardy, but someday you won't be. We never know when we're gonna go. Do you have a will? Do you have a trust? Do you have your wishes made clear for your minor children's upbringing, not to mention your money and your stuff. Trust and Will offers affordable attorney designed to state plans online that you can create in as little as thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: I know exactly when I'm gonna go because I saw a palm reader. Oh but handy, you never know they could be wrong. So yeah, and as little as thirty minutes you could create that will. And then if it gets more complicated than that with wishes for you know, who's gonna raise your kids or who gets what money or what's your into life, healthcare planning and all that sort of stuff. They've got attorney support available. And then of course it's set up state by state specific and it's.
Speaker 3: Easy to update the plan as your life stage of changes and transitions. Keep everything organized, updated and ready, super well encrypted, bank level encryption, Trust and Will affordable estate plans, priceless peace of mind.
Speaker 1: You're gonna love that you did this.
Speaker 3: Go to Trust and will dot com slash armstrong get twenty percent off as trust andwill dot Com slash armstrong to get that twenty percent off one more time.
Speaker 1: Trust and Will dot Com slash Armstrong. Final one was at one thirteen am attacks the New York Times for reporting on the reflecting pool that is abnormal. Who can stay up that late and work both schedule? He's got, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Good flight halfway around the world to meet Shijin Ping, the most powerful dictator on earth with enormous, enormous stakes on the table while.
Speaker 1: Running the biggest war in a quarter of a century. At least. Jeez loaise something I don't know. I don't think. I think that's just way he's built. My counter is your opinion. The text line four one five KFDC.
Speaker 6: The Los Angeles Lakers season just ended. Final score Thunder one fifteen, Lakers won ten. That means that the Oklahoma City Thunders, defending champions, have now swept the Lakers out of the playoffs. They swept their first round series as well. This was the closest the Lakers got in any game. They were right there, put up a big fight, but in the end, the defending champs just too much.
Speaker 1: Well, the main topic out of that last night of Your Sports Fan at All has been is that the last game Lebron ever plays, all the movie stars showed up were there in the front row in case it was Lebron's last game. But a right at the LA Times piece last night about Lebron needs to go. Clearly, an old man couldn't even win one game. Their best player in the leading scorer in the NBA was out, and they're playing the defending champions, who might be the best team in ten years. Right, So I don't understand that reason at all. He is an old man. But yeah, if with Luca, if they had lost to the Thunder, it wouldn't even be that surprising. I don't I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I remember I used to call sports talk the lowest form of humans communication above only grunting yeah to barely barely. It's clickbait. It's like everything, everything's clickbait.
Speaker 1: Uh, you've probably got a hot.
Speaker 3: Take that's utterly unsupportable. But then we'll take your calls a very outraged call.
Speaker 1: Ye, you know you're right. When I saw the LA Times headline if it's time for Lebron to go, I thought I clicked on it because I what, how do you make that argument? He's still playing. Okay, he got me to click on it. Yeah, that's all they care about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've gone too far, I think because New York Times had the like the twenty five Greatest American Songwriters or something like that.
Speaker 1: Thirty Greatest Singer Songwriters.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a rage bait, but you know then I thought I might discover a good songwriter too.
Speaker 1: I'll take a look at it.
Speaker 3: But I refuse to get sucked into the all hundred Greatest guitar players of all time?
Speaker 1: How could Hendrick snap No, No, you're not gonna get me. I'm too old and wise. By the way, speaking of sports kinda, they've released all the Tiger Woods video from his flipping yet another car, and uh. On one hand, I regularly argue you, I'm not sure that the public should get to see or hear all this different stuff, especially when it's a misdemeanor. I don't know if this one's gonna be missssed out of your business. This might be any who as amazing how he still had the Tiger Woods swagger standing there next to a flipped car with the cops about to put him in jail again.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I would think at some point you'd feel a little diminished and a little humbled, but not Tiger Woods. Right, he still had the I'm the coolest guy in the freaking world. There's the one shot of him looking really like weak and well wasted. Yeah, he looks wasted, but that's that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, he looked humbled, but he when you see the video that was just the snapshot. That kind of lies, because yeah, he absolutely was what's going on, Phyllis, Yeah, I just had to make a call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me a second, I gotta make this call. And then he's kneeling going to give you a second. He's kneeling over on the grass with his big buff body and his hat on backwards and sunglasses on, looking all cool. Dude, you just flipped another car in a residential neighborhood and you're going to jail again. How do you flip a car in a situation like I don't know. I don't know how fast you'd have to be going, or or what you would do. It's a miracle. He hasn't hurt anybody but himself. Yeah, and I hope that gets through him so he doesn't kill some kid on a bike someday. Yeah. God, that's horrifying. So I've lost track.
Speaker 3: Is he in Tibet re embracing his Buddhism or is he Switzerland as some alleged detox with beautiful views.
Speaker 1: He's in Arizona doing the sex rehab. Remember he did that at one time, and he got sex addict right. He couldn't stop hitting on the Perkins waitresses. God, Tigerli is not an old man either. Oh No, he's got to come up with a new hobby. Can you get one of.
Speaker 3: Those prediction market bets on him having another crack up within like a year or two, because he certainly feels like a crack up to me.
Speaker 1: He didn't look humbled in that video. He didn't look like a guy who thinks, you know, I need to get my life together. He didn't look like that at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am now I'm the greatest golfer of all time, but I'm an fop. I didn't see that in his body language. No, Charsie was wasted.
Speaker 1: Hey, I think we're gonna talk to Katie, Katie the newslady who's like hours away from having a baby. Oh wow, Yes, armstrong and geddy. So Katie Green does our news and is part of the show every day, and she is having a baby, like very shortly, and we're about to put her on the air, and I think if we can somehow drag out the conversation, Yes, she'll lose track of time and have the baby on the air. Oh. I think that would really be good for us, and we could sell sponsorships. Oh yeah, it'd be a great ratings stunt. This contraction brought to you by Panthers.
Speaker 3: Wow wow Wow. Can you charge them retroactively for that?
Speaker 1: Do we have Katie? Yeah, Ladies and.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, the fabulous Katie Green live from the delivery room calling in hockey Katie.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: There would be so many FCC violations if you guys tried to do that stunt up that work.
Speaker 1: You are you're a dedicated radio professional, are you Actually you're actually at the hospital in a bed.
Speaker 4: I am at the hospital in a bed having contractions.
Speaker 1: As we speak.
Speaker 3: Wow, wow, in the in the like super nice modern delivery room setting or what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's actually it's a beautiful room. It's huge, and I'm I'm the bed's actually comfortable, which is odd. That's it's been great.
Speaker 1: And of course you didn't know this, but we had a radio contest last week where five listeners got to be there. So you've got the listeners there, we're watching you have the baby.
Speaker 4: Plus those are the people that keep coming to the door.
Speaker 1: Those are listeners who want to contest.
Speaker 3: Plus, when you sign the paperwork to start working with us, you signed away the naming rights to the baby.
Speaker 1: So please welcome baby mcbaby face.
Speaker 4: Damn it. It's always the fine print that I read, right.
Speaker 1: So how you feeling?
Speaker 4: I feel pretty good? Uh.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: There was a little bit of a starting process to this whole getting induced thing that involved a balloon and not the type that you would see at a party.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And that was that was painful, But now that that part's over, we're we're good. And then in about an hour they're talking about breaking my water and then little Jack Joe, Mike Michael be here shortly after that.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, in about an hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, depending on how long it takes from there. But that's apparently when they they break that water, that's when it's like, go time.
Speaker 1: Sure, are you ready to have that baby out of you? Holy hell?
Speaker 4: Am I over over it?
Speaker 3: You know, Katie, there are there are a number of steps in the miracle that is having and raising a child where God's plan is so wise. I mean, because old birth is no walk in the park, and you know that obviously, but I found it fairly easy. Oh boy, wow, I have your head on a swivel. Walk into your car. All of our women listeners are gonna be here to murder you, all the moms anyway. But at the point that you're ready to give birth, you're like, I don't care, let's get this done. It's like when your kid finally leaves the house. You think you'd be heartbroken, but they're so sassy. You're like, yeah, I'm gonna cry, but good luck.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, the amount of people that have told me, you know, really enjoy these last couple of weeks because you're gonna miss it.
Speaker 1: The hell I am. Wow.
Speaker 4: I've been telling everybody I'm serving him in eviction. Notice he's out.
Speaker 1: Wow, viction. Notice that's funny. The time is up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a two year process for that if you're having a baby in California. So uh, anyway, well, you know, we're super crazy excited for you and happy for you and got our fingers crossed and and a lot of the folks listening hopes and prayers and fingers crossed as well.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you guys very much. And you guys, uh, you'll be in the on the list the first to know what he's here. So I'll be texting you guys shortly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll announce it on the air. Then it's gonna happen while we're on the air today. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's my entire goal is to make sure that it happens.
Speaker 1: Trying to backtime it to the top of the hour.
Speaker 3: What a trooper. Oh my gosh. Hey, give give our best to your mom and pop and stay in touch, all.
Speaker 4: Right, I absolutely will. Thanks guys.
Speaker 3: All right, Hey, Katie, good luck Katie, one big push and just shoot him out.
Speaker 4: Michael Michael, all right, looking like a true doctor who knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Right on.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah yeah, he chat gpt the all right, thanks Katie.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, wow, I know, such a big deal. Oh, impossible to summarize. There's the life before you had a kid in the life after you had a kid, and they are very different and not including and this is the part you just can't possibly know all the changes that happen in your brain. I mean, because of course you can't know your brain changes. It literally changes neurologically, your hormones change, and your brain changes when you have a baby. When you have a kid, men and women the responsibilities never you look at the world differently. There's no understanding that unless you've done it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The fabulous Caitlin Flanagan, who's we mentioned, I guess last week she wrote a great piece for the Free Press, has another piece out. It was for Mother's Day and she was talking about how, you know, the question of to have a kid or not at all is a thing among young women and she made the joke that women, young women are looking at it exactly the way men have been telling women to look at things forever logically and you know, and the pluses and minuses and blah blah blah, and that young women never get the it is a miracle that will change everything about you in so many good ways. Talk it's sound a fashion. It's just a dollars and cents convenience. Career, vacation will become difficult. I don't get to do things on my schedule anymore. It's sounds like a net negative to me.
Speaker 1: You're right, nobody talks up the the part that most parents talk about being the greatest thing that ever happened in your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why don't you pull say a thousand parents and ask him if you could go back again when you undo it? Oh god, and look at that teeny tiny number. It's like a trial with no defense attorney. All you have is the prosecution of the idea of motherhood talking about women now, obviously, but the defense never gets to speak. It's it's it's a weird culture. It's it's partly that our media and so many of our idea shapers are of a mono culture.
Speaker 1: I can't believe she called in while we're on the air. I know, hours before she's going to have a baby. I know, like maybe an hour before she's gonna have a baby. Yeah, we didn't ask her to no, yeah yeah, make it clear. We did not demand that she call in. Oh my god, no, an hour before she is having any baby?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Wow, very exciting.
Speaker 3: You'd hate to be get scammed out of your baby. And that's why Incognia is so important, man, I didn't have anything better. Your personal information is valuable to scammers, far more accessible than you realize. Every time you shop online, your data is collected package sold to data brokers bastards.
Speaker 1: And that's why we use and you should use it in cogny. Yep. We all know our data is floating around out there a our address, our phone numbers, and all the different stuff, and that's why we get so many damned emails, texts and phone calls. And there's not much you can do about it unless you have somebody like Incognity that can go to those databases and actually legally force them to get rid of your information. You're going to notice a drop in spam calls, emails, and texts, protecting you from all kinds of spam scams and real digital threats. They can't scam you if they can't find you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they just keep sending follow up requests to your data stays removed. Take your personal data back within cogni I and cog and I is how it's spelled. Gets sixty percent off the regular price, which is quite affordable when you use the code armstrong at Incogniti dot com slash armstrong sixty percent off when you use the code armstrong at Incogniti dot com slash armstrong one more time in Cogniti dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 1: How long have the really good painkillers for having a baby been around.
Speaker 3: Like epidurals and that sort of thing. Yeah, I don't know. That's a great question, but not that long. Yeah, yeah. When was the transition from perfectly sterile, brightly lit operating room with gowns and masks and doctors barking orders and.
Speaker 1: The husband that get the hell out of here. You can't be with it, you're sit in the waiting room.
Speaker 3: When did that transition to the birthing rooms where you know you shouldn't be filthy?
Speaker 1: But in the nineties, I don't know, was it earlier in that I don't know. Well, when did they stop? I talked about this list, what this This one horrifies me for whatever reason because it happened to me. But the whole whisking the baby away from mom? Yeah, when did they stop doing that? Here's your baby. Everything that you know intuitively about nature would be mom, who's going to stay with the baby. I'm sure that's the way it's been for millionaires. But we're going to take your baby away and go put it in a room full of screaming babies with bright lights. Right, Yeah, what the hell? Whose idea was that? And how did it last so long? But when did that change? Because they would never do that?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, yeah, we as have made the point before America fell in love with science in the twentieth century and got way carried away.
Speaker 1: Well that's what people should think about when you say trust the science. Trust the science. You used to grab a newborn and take it away from their mom. Now we've decided, like the best thing you could possibly do in their entire lives, Yeah, is handed to mom and have it being laying on mom's chest. Trust the nature. Yeah. Kate, our oldest, was.
Speaker 3: Born in nineteen ninety two and we had the comfortable, nice birthing room.
Speaker 1: We're quite pleased with that.
Speaker 3: And she actually had some significant complications during the birth, but the minute they determined she was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was with mom. Did you ever consider doing the hot tub berth? No, you have the baby in the hot tub? No.
Speaker 3: I don't really love hot tubs at all, and neither is Judy, so.
Speaker 1: She likes some more than I do. We have some friends that did the home hot tub birth. Really, yeah, it seemed to be funny. Is the kid underwater? When I think, yeah, it's a it's a water birth? They called a water birth. Yeah, why, it's some sort of it's more natural because that's the way I have IOLs, ma'am.
Speaker 3: The answer is, no, give birth in the air. It's not hitting the air, but in air. I think it's just hot tubs feel good. So yeah, well there's nothing wrong with that. I get light headed in hot tubs if they're over you know, like a certain temperature, then I'm afraid I'm gonna slip under and drown like a Chandler from uh friends from Lightheadedness.
Speaker 1: We start with Katie, they're in the birthing room. When we end with don't want to drown like Chandler in a hot tub.
Speaker 3: Right right, that's an embarrassing o bit. You don't want to die a cave man death, but you don't want to die a Hollywood drug addict death either.
Speaker 1: No, you don't tell. Okay, as soon as Katie has her baby, she will be calling his back, and I doubt it. You don't think we'll never hear from her again? Right? Okay? We got more in the waist. They here.
Speaker 7: It's the call of the wild, or maybe just the call of nature. But crowds are going bananas for the baby boom at the La Zoo.
Speaker 1: So which one's your favorite? I can't say that.
Speaker 7: Megan Fox is the senior animal keeper now in her troop five new infant great apes.
Speaker 1: Some of these moms I've known for thirty years.
Speaker 5: To see them with their babies, it's just very special.
Speaker 7: The zoo is now home to a baby gorilla, a baby ringetan, and three baby chimpanzees, all born in less than five months, all.
Speaker 1: In danger species. First of all, you can't be named Megan Fox and be a zookeeper. You gotta change your name. You're probably born with that name. But there are famous sex spots with that name. Also, she had vocal fry Goo a zookeeper have Ah. The monkey was so amazing. I have to feed the monkeys la. Is that even to work at the La Zoo you have to have vocal fry.
Speaker 3: You've gotta be world weary, cynical, you have to have ANWI about your apes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's fun. Baby baby beasts. People love baby beasts, People love babies in general. That's why we paired that with Katie's announcement that she's having a baby any moment. We uh, Speaking of cynical, John Stewart pretty cynical about the coverage of the freaking hantavirus. People will play a little bit from the Daily Show in hour three.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, indeed, a couple of international flavored stories. First of all, Wall Street Journal with a piece about this ex convict who was conscripted into the Russian forces or he might have a volunteered I don't know, in the that that recruiting drive where if you did something completely heinous, but you're willing to go serve as machine gun fodder and Ukraine will let you loose. But so he got construct it into the army one way or another, he got half blowed up, he's missing part of his right arm, has two titanium plates in his head. As they say, he might not seem like the best soldier to put in the vanguard of a military offensive, but for quite a few days last year he was at the tip of Russia's spear, trying to pierce Ukraine's defenses in the kind of infantry assault that's yielding meager gains and heavy losses for Russian troops. And they describe his mission, which was just spending human lives like like, I don't know what, it's a horrific it's the terrible strategy, incredibly costly to gain practically nothing, But they did it over and over and over again. They make the point that this guy's short stint last year in the vanguard of Russia's army offers a glimpse of the tactics of Russia's employing teak out battlefield advances in Ukraine, and it's just incredibly expensive and feudal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so part of our problem in trying to exert deterrence around the world is we don't want to lose any soldiers, which is, you know, obviously good. On one hand, my brother is in the military and war zones for a very long time. But you know, you can't win battles without some willingness to risk lives. Sure, but man, if we lost, if we lost one hundred guys like this weekend in Iran, that would be the It'd be the biggest story in America. Russia is losing twenty to thirty thousand guys killed or wounded every month. Twenty to thirty thousand a month. Wow, that have been four years.
Speaker 3: So they mentioned Putin at the Red Square military parade the other day, the Victory Day parade. He reiterated his commitment to a Russian victory, but also suggested the war was drawing to a close and there are signs that his army's methods are losing even their limited effectiveness. Losses are so heavy that this fella, who we're talking about, a former heroin addict who was jailed on drug charges after his pre front line stint and injury, rejoined the army in return for freedom after six month service. He said, he and many in the Russian armies think the war is a deliberate campaign to purge society of those on the lowest rungs. Culling the downtrodden, the homeless, and the prison population because they they can't figure out why you would spend the lives on so little gain unless that's the point. Not a bug, it's features, they say. And Ukrainian soldiers are baffled by the number of Russians pressing forward under fire.
Speaker 1: It's like shooting sitting ducks. God, that's brutal.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine? The Ukrainians are saying, what are they doing? We're just gonna kill those guys. Here they come again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we'll kill them. Wow. So brutal. Yeah, it has the history of Russian wars, though they've won a lot of wars or a lot of battles that way.
Speaker 3: You want something a little more life affirming. How much do I love this story? The world's most surprising capitalist makeover is underway in Sweden. I read about that, shaking up the cradle the grave, huge government, huge spending, huge tax system, embracing individual initiative capitalism for.
Speaker 1: You all taxes. Yeah, finally the country that the Bernie Sanderses of the world have been thrown at you. Your whole life works in Sweden, A tiny, little monochromatic country right, and it only works for a while, is the thing with socialism. Socialism does work really cool for a little while. Problem is it doesn't have legs. Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Today, nearly half of primary healthcare clinics are privately owned. One in three public high schools is privately run, up from twenty percent in twenty eleven. School operators are listed on the Stock Exchange, and they make the point that Sweden's experience has lessons good and bad for other rich countries, including the US, where Zoron Mumdani is trying to turn New York into Sweden. Sweden and the capitalist makeover has allowed Sweden to do what few industrialized countries have managed in recent years. Hell Ever, shrink the size of the state's enabled the government to sharply lower taxes, and economists say has sparked a surge in entrepreneurship and economic growth. Wow, the free markets better than government control.
Speaker 1: Damn, I wish we'd known that. I wonder how that happened. I mean, how did the laying around retire and at fifty crowd decide they're willing to embrace the free market, which is not as comfortable. We could dig into this more.
Speaker 3: There's quite a bit to be said, but their total social spending has fallen to twenty four percent of their gross domestic product, which is similar to us. We spend about twenty four percent of our GDP on social programs. We borrow a lot of it and make our kids paid off later or inflate away the debt. But that's well below twenty four percent, well below the over thirty percent for countries like France and Italy.
Speaker 1: We got this text before we take a break. If Katie has her baby before the end of the show, I'll eat my husband's truck, a reference to a bet I made years ago. My labor was twenty six hours, but prayers for all the details for her to hope it goes great. Yeah, twenty six hour labor. That was like Judy, Oh it was not good. That's a long time. Yeah, all right, we got more to come. I hope you can stick around. If you miss it. Get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. Armstrong and Getty