Speaker 1: Do you think the idea that love is enough can hold together a relationship.
Speaker 2: Relationships actually rarely end because of lack of love. They more commonly end because people don't feel seen, they feel misunderstood. They go into a state of learned helplessness where they don't see.
Speaker 3: Your way out.
Speaker 1: Today, everyone, we have Gillian Tareki on the podcast Gillian, you are a relationship coach, a teacher, a podcaster, a riisa and a speaker. Why do people accept abuse in relationships?
Speaker 3: Over and over again?
Speaker 2: I've never known a person who has been in a very unhealthy relationship and or an abusive relationship who also did not struggle to accept who they are and loved and loved themselves. Sometimes people stay in these relationships because they don't know the way out, but most times it means something needs to be looked at within. Why you tolerate that?
Speaker 1: And for a woman who wants to stop rebuilding her relationship with herself, do you have any specific practices on how they can start changing their perception of what they deserve?
Speaker 2: One of the hardest questions to answer for everyone is what do I want? What would make me feel more fulfilled? And by doing that you start to learn how to meet your own needs.
Speaker 1: I'm Radi Wkia and on my podcast A Really Good Cry, we embrace the messy and the beautiful, providing a space for raw, unfiltered conversations that celebrate vulnerability and allow you to tune in to learn, connect and find comfort.
Speaker 3: Together.
Speaker 1: Today, everyone, we have Jillian Tareki on the podcast. Gillian, you are a relationship coach, a teacher, a podcaster, a writer, and a speaker. And you've just told me that you're also a yoga teacher for the past what was it twenty five years?
Speaker 2: Well, I've been practicing yoga for the past twenty five years and I tard it for about eighteen years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 1: And you've been helping people for over twenty years to love themselves and others better through your experience in research and your new book It begins with you, The Nine Hard Truths about Love that will Change your life. It is so beautiful and it shares such a practical approach to achieving lasting self love and relationships. So thank you so much for being here, and I'm so excited to learn from you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much for having me. I been so looking forward to this conversation.
Speaker 1: I know I told you this as you walked in the door, but I need to say on camera because when I started reading your book, I read it within forty eight hours and I could not stop. Every single page I was highlighting. I was turning the folding the page over to remember to come back to it. And you know, it honestly gave me so many moments of reflection and things that I realized I hadn't noticed I kept with me throughout my life, and that had impacted so many different parts of my life without me even realizing.
Speaker 3: So thank you for that.
Speaker 1: I really needed those moments, and I think it's going to make me so much better as a partner and have better relationships even outside of even outside of my my relationship with my husband, with other people in my life.
Speaker 3: So thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you. That's like music to my ears.
Speaker 1: Seriously, in this book, you go through nine core truths, and honestly, I would love to walk our way through them because I think they are so juicy each one and I have so many questions from them. Okay, you wrote in the first part that fulfilling relationship grounded in connection intimacy and trust starts from within and the truth one is it begins with you. So I would love to get your insight on this and just expand on it as much as you would like to do.
Speaker 2: When we look at all our relationships past and present, the common denominator is me and just the common denominators you. The common denominator is us. Not People misinterpret that or can misinterpret that as oh, well, then I guess I'm the problem. No, no, no, It just means you're the common denominator. It just means that all our relationships are a product of the choices that we make and the choices of how we show up every day. The choices and partner just choices, and there are choices that are very much informed by our conditioning, beliefs and whatnot, but they really are our choices, and that if we want to make a change in our life, and very specifically to this book, in our love lives, we have to be the change that we wish to see because we cannot change another person, and there's some circumstances that we just cannot change, but we can change something from within. And so I really wanted to write this and title the book, It begins with you, because I wanted people to feel empowered that if they wanted to make a change, it actually is possible. It's takes some work, there is some emotional labor involved. But life doesn't get better blaming mom or dad or history or anything like that. And it doesn't get better blaming ourselves. But it does get better saying Okay, how might I be standing in the way of what it is that I say that I really want.
Speaker 1: And if someone has this realization, because I think you know, you can go through so much of your life where you do get used to blaming other situations or other people, and that can become a narrative and it can become the place that we find safety, in the place that we find comfort because if it's not me, then I can't control it, which means I'm not in control of the pain that I'm feeling. It's just happening to me. But as soon as you start realizing that, oh, actually, if it begins with me, that means I have control of the things that pain me and the things that hurt me and the situations I go through. So for someone who just comes to this realization, they hear you just saying it. What are some of the first steps that people can do to start that process of creating a better life for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean when it comes to relationships, Let's say you're single and you're dating, you can ask yourself, Okay, what are the type of people that I've been dating? Is there is there a pattern? Is there a pattern in the relationships that didn't work? Were they just randomly just didn't work or was there a pattern? What are my beliefs about love When I think about the world love and relationships or marriage or partnership. What are some of the first things that come to mind? If I date men and I'm craving to be intimate with a man emotionally like being a relationship with a man, is there a part of me that also hates men? And what is that all about? And I have to actually investigate that. If I date women and I say I love women, is there a part of me that doesn't trust them? So these are the things that we need to ask ourselves. And everyone is walking around, every single person is walking around with some internal conflict. Yeah, and so bringing that which is unconscious into our awareness saying okay, oh, this is what I have a conflict about or this is a belief that mom had that I have, or you know, I saw my mom being treated a certain way, and so this is what I've seen myself doing. And just being able to do that necessary self examination.
Speaker 1: It's almost just becoming conscious of your natural patents, because when you've been doing something for such a long time, that pattern can feel like normality, yes, and then suddenly when you tune in, you're like, wait, why do I believe in this and why do I think? Like for me, one of the things that I noticed when I started dating or even when I started dating Jay, was my vision of what a man should look like in the house was purely based on my dad. My dad does all the handyman work, so of course a man in the house.
Speaker 3: Like Jay should be able to do the hands.
Speaker 1: He's a screwdriver, and if something breaks, he should be able to fix it. And oh, my dad handles all the finances at home. So that's what I would expect Jay to do. And I realized that even though I appreciated that in my dad, that wasn't necessarily you know, That's all I knew of a husband was what I'd seen, and so Jay didn't know how to use a screwdriver when I met him, and like, he isn't the person that like saying handyman work, but I was because I'd learnt it from my dad. And so it's just interesting the patterns and the things that you incubate within you and you kind of put onto someone else before you even meet them, Like you create this whole view of what the person is based on your own experiences, and then it's kind of setting them up a failure because you're like, well, these are the boxes you have to fit into before I even know whether you have those skills or those abilities to do that. And I loved what you said about how do you feel when those when you hear those words, because I noticed I've started noticing that in myself, Like when you said, how do you feel when you think of the word marriage? Like what are the initial not even just the thoughts, but what feeling comes into your body?
Speaker 3: Do you cringe?
Speaker 1: Do you get scared? Do you feel excited? Like seeing what the narrative is in your mind and your reactions can be such a great depiction of whether it's an area you need to work on.
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent And I love what you said about needing your future husband to kind of look, you know, look a certain way. And this is this is this is what we do, and this is we're skipping ahead. But there is a chapter on LUs does not Love. And what we tend to do is we have this ideal, right, and we project the health the unhealthiest relationships, or the relationships that start off really hot and heavy and then crash and burn, like you know, three months in or maybe six months in, people go and this is unconscious. They project their ideal onto the other person. It's the idealization, right, and then as soon as we start to get wind of the fact that the person is just a person with depth and nuance and flaws and shortcomings, that's when we're like, oh, we're like we all our expectations are sort of they cannot win. And then that's when we're like, oh, this must not be love, or something must be wrong or I'm just not into them. And so having that awareness of just like, okay, so this is what I was raised with, This is my projection of the ideal, but maybe this is actually not You know, how many people you think are missing out on a great relationship because they have too many rules about how it's supposed to look and feel and be versus is this is this actually someone who's good for me?
Speaker 1: And what have you seen off to having spoken to so many people and being in this world for a while, what would you say look like the biggest hurdles that people are having at the moment to actually getting into healthy relationships.
Speaker 2: Definitely their own stuff over having to overcome their own selfishness. You know, we have to sort of quote unquote normalize. We can all be selfish, right, especially when it comes to love. Because the thing is, there is nothing more than a romantic relationship that's going to trigger in us the fear of losing love. Yeah, so we don't want that, you know, a state. We want to secure relationship where we don't where you can go to sleep at night and everything. We're not worried about the relationship ending. But uncertainty is built into anything. We just don't know what's going to last, what's not going to last, what's going to happen in life? Right, So when we are triggered, and some people are so triggerable because they haven't dealt with the things that are triggering them, that we become when or pushed to the edge of our insecurity, we become obsessed with what we're not getting right, and we don't consider what we're not giving, and then people forget.
Speaker 3: It's unbelief.
Speaker 2: I know, people have been together for years and in many ways they're strangers to each other because they don't actually know what the other person needs.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so that's really what I see most in terms of what people kind of get wrong about love. That love is not is something that we receive, it's also something that we give.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because I think that that stems a little bit from the idea of like a scarcity mindset where you're constantly thinking about.
Speaker 3: What can I get, what can I get? What can I get?
Speaker 1: And how can I keep this and how can I take this? And many of us operate from a scarcety mindset. And then that scarcety mindset isn't just in money, it's in the relationship. So it's more how can I receive versus what am I actually putting on the table? Like what am I bringing to this? Yes, And that then inten turns into oh I'm not receiving this or I'm the one that's the victim. In this, and I'm the one that's hurt in this because it's so much easier being the victim. It is like, it's so much easier being the victim than it is owning up to Oh my god, I have so much work to do, and I actually have a role to play in the demise of this relationship or in the issues that we're having, or.
Speaker 2: I have a role to play in the success of the relationship.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wrote this in the book and I thought it was really beautifully put. Your life will change too when you realize that your relationship struggles are not because they all cheat, but because you keep ignoring red flags and choosing the cheaters. The problem isn't all the good ones are taken, it's that you keep choosing the unavailable ones. It's not that they didn't choose you. It's that you haven't chosen yourself. And it's not that they're avoidant. It's just that your anxiety may play a role too. The story you share about yourself at the beginning of your book is pretty heartbreaking, and I would love you if you want to mind sharing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not at all. Many years ago, I guess then now we're going back by thirteen fourteen years ago I met the man who had become my husband. He was in my class. I mean, what else are you going to do? And I always say that our relationship because we were before we got married, were together almost two years, and I always say that our relationship pre marriage was about ninety percent really good or great even, and ten percent really problematic. And you might say, well, what, that's a pretty good stat But the ten percent was so profound, so so so so profound that when we got married, the ten percent became the ninety percent, and the ninety percent became the ten percent. And so what I did is I ignored significant red flags. And I did that because I just wanted to be married. I loved him. The thought of losing him was too much. I just didn't have that real sense of self. And then when we got into the marriage, I didn't know how to speak the truth. I didn't know how to love at a level that I know how to love now, and I didn't know how to stand up for myself at a level that I do now. You know, he we were having troubles, but then we were in a good place and I was pregnant but did not know it or yeah, or it was very It was very very early on, and my mom had been diagnosed with lung cancer was dying. And on June second, twenty fourteen, I woke up to what was an early miscarriage, and he texted me later that day from work that he wasn't coming home, that he was going to go stay at his parents. So he literally it was like he fled. It was like totally fleeing, the most awful thing you can do to someone.
Speaker 3: And so that was you've been together.
Speaker 2: At this point we the Merit was exactly two years. Exactly two years it was the next day was our wedding anniversary. I entered a very significant dark night of the soul because my mom was dying, my husband left, and I had all these beliefs around, well, no one's going to want me now I'm too old or you know, all these things, and I'll have kids. My life didn't match what I thought life would be. In fact, it was so different, and I felt totally out of control and I suffered immensely until I became obsessed with what makes a relationship work.
Speaker 3: Obsessed.
Speaker 2: I could not believe that I was in this position so I took all that pain and I channeled it into learning, and I felt a calling to teach. This definitely not glamorous, really hard. I needed a lot of help, but I thankfully learned how to take something really painful and turn it into something very purposeful and.
Speaker 3: I of interest.
Speaker 1: And obviously you don't have to answer this, but you know, for many people who have been through really hurtful things with their past relationships or something like this happening to you that feels so traumatic and leave such an imprint in you, do you feel like the work that you've done has enabled you to actually feel like one you forgive the situation, and two that you don't actually feel the pain that came from.
Speaker 2: Great question, I don't feel the pain. So here's the interesting thing about human beings. I could take some time and really focus on it and not focus on it like this talking about I mean, like in the quietude of my own home and lay in bed and really focus on it, and a lot of emotions would probably probably come up, because that's what happens when you focus on it. One, I don't feel any compulsion to focus on it, and two yeah, no, I was able to write about it, and I can talk about it with no emotional charge. There's zero emotional charge A process that one hundred percent. But the good news is or and the good news is when I talk about it, I can say objectively, that was a terrible thing that happened. He did a terrible thing, But I don't feel angry. There's no emotion behind that. It's truly very objective.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so nice that it's possible for people because it is in the pain. I imagine at that time you probably had no idea how you would have gotten through it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I really did not know how I was going to survive. It was a very, very dark, ugly time in my life. But yes, you just have to process it. And part of processing it is examining the story. And in the beginning I had to tell I told the story of like, oh, you know, this was my story. But then you know, you have to make things mean something else, right, And that's part of how you get out of a catastrophe like that.
Speaker 1: That's a great way of putting it. You have to find a way to make it mean something else, because I think for many people when they're going through the thick of pain, especially in a relationship. It's like it's so much easier said than done. Like my heart's broken. I feel like I am broken. A whole part of me has left, And you know, it's it's so hard to create meaning from something that has ripped you apart. And so it's it's interesting when you have to make meaning separate meaning from it, because if you don't, then.
Speaker 3: It is just the pain it is.
Speaker 1: There has to be something else because otherwise there's no other explanation for it. Then it is just pain that you are supposed to feel, and it's supposed to feel horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in the beginning, when you're going through that acute stage of it, the shock and all of that, it is just all emotions. But as you start to sort of like come out of that a little bit able to i don't know, like live more of like your life again, then it's time to re examine the story and make some and make it mean something else. That's why I feel so passionate about helping some people like post divorce or post breakup, like okay, think about like for a relationship. For most relationships that end, the time leading up to it was really hard. It's a lot of endless discussions about the relationship and anxiety, and it takes up so much energetic and mental space that so I try to help people. Okay, now you don't have to spend your energy on that. Let's see, like, do you need to find a greater sense of self? Now, let's help you find meaning and purpose in life. That so it's a little bit of a rebirth for you.
Speaker 1: Do you think man is people who have had a breakup. Do you think there is like an equation of how long you can spend wallowing when it's for you to just get up and get going.
Speaker 2: It's so hard to say because it's not linear. Yeah, certainly the first couple of months you can wallow.
Speaker 1: Said, it's like half the time of you give your saying half the time in the relationship.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, what if you're in a relationship for twenty five years?
Speaker 2: So that makes absolutely no sense. It makes absolutely no sense. Eventually, you just want to get to the stage where you know there's there's steps to healing. Like in the beginning, you're just like sometimes you're devastated, right, and so you can't even get out of bed, and then other times it's just like Okay, I can focus on work today, but maybe I like cry myself to sleep a little bit. But I was able to do stuff today. But I'll just never forget. As I was building this new life for myself, I definitely felt hurt because I was also mourning the loss of my mom. There was just so much and I'll never forget someone saying to me, you know, don't deny yourself the privilege of moving on. Those words really stuck with me. It's like, why would I do that to myself? Why would I deny myself that opportunity and privilege to actually move on with my life? And so letting go is a process. I'm definitely one of those people where it takes a little bit longer to let go. But I don't think that's good. I mean, I accept myself regardless, but I don't think it's great. I think that we have to really I want people to teach their children to say next Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the longer you end up sitting in it, the longer you're still in it, like you're reliving it over and over again. So the pain still feels raw because you're still living in that pain day in day out. But if you're not pulling yourself out of it. Then, of course, even a year later, it can still feel raw, just as the day, Yeah, because you're constantly replaying those feelings over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I've spoken to a lot of people or people have written into me saying, you know, it's been sixty years, like a long time, and I still can't stop thinking about my accent every time. Really, every time that I've investigated this with someone, they're not mourning their ex anymore. They're caught in a story of I'm not good enough or I'm not going to meet anyone else, or they're not taking life by the reins and living life right, and so they think it's about them, but really at this point they're just a metaphor for something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also think sometimes it's creating this narrative so then you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Do the work, because it's kind of like that.
Speaker 1: You know, again going back to that where of course I still love my ex because putting into another relationship is going to be so much work and so much effort.
Speaker 2: That's a very good point.
Speaker 1: So sometimes the pain ends up being an easier option than the work that has to be done.
Speaker 2: Yes, because in the pain. At least you're getting some you know, you maybe there's some excuses to not put yourself out there again, to not take risks again, to yeah, to wallow, and to.
Speaker 1: Not forgive because they think sometimes when you let go of the pain, you think that means that you're forgiving that person and that what they've done is okay. And so you're like, well, no, I have to hold onto this because even if I'm not telling them, somehow they need to know that what they did isn't right. And so if I let go of the pain and I seem happy, they're going to think that what they did was absolutely okay. And so I think there's also this guilt that you feel for letting go of the pain because but what if that means I'm just giving in and allowing them to do what they did to me?
Speaker 2: Yes, totally. We could become a stubborn like.
Speaker 1: This, which brings us onto truth too. The mind is a battlefield. You said, stay in your head and your relationship is dead. That statement was like, it's like one line, but I feel like it has so much meaning to it. And how does someone start to get out of their head and the stories that they end up telling themselves over and over again, Like how do you start shifting the narrative?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it starts with self awareness, which is okay, Like some people are very good at just creating a negative meaning out of everything. We're storytelling machines, and so we want to become better at looking at circumstances that might be difficult, whatever that is, and giving it some sort of meaning that makes it so that life doesn't feel so brutal, honestly or just or meaningless. So it's a practice of well, if you really love me, then this, or if that person you know, oh that person gave me a dirty look, then blah blah blah. So just being able to say, oh my god, I'm in my head right now, what is that all about? Like why? You know? It probably has to do with a stress about something else, or you haven't moved your body in a long time, or you're dehydrated, or something else is bothering you. That is true emotional intelligence. And my book is just having that awareness. And so we do need daily practices of people. I mean, I actually think one of the biggest psychological and epidemics of today is anxiety and people and overthinking and it's plaguing our society and we need to get ahead of it by regulating our nervous system, working out, spending time with friends and nature and meditation I think is very important. And even if that meditation is just quiet ten minutes a day, but in a relationship, most of the time where people are having an argument, let's say it's more than just an argument. Let's say it's like a it's a pretty heated fight. They're not really fighting with each other. They're fighting with mom in that moment because that's something they did reminded their unconscious of mom. Or they're fighting with you know, their ex right, So we're projecting a lot. Really, what tends to happens that people no longer fight with each other. They fight with the story that they have about each other. Oh, I knew that they did this, and we go we can really go into such a deep, deep wormhole of despair. And I think that just knowing that our minds can be incredibly unruly, they really can become a battlefield, and that one of the principles of cultivating and maintaining stable and healthy relationships is bringing mindfulness to a relationship. And part of that is mindfulness is what predicate's mindfulness is the understanding that the mind can be a battlefield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 1: I remember when I did my yoga te to training that always say when you're in your mind, that means you're just not present here. Yeah, And so actually, when you are anxious, or when you are in your mind constantly, there's such a lack of presence. So whether you're in your mind while you're arguing with the person, you're not even hearing what they're saying, you're just reacting, or whether you're in your mind instead of being part of a social situation, you feel like you come away lonely because you weren't even present, which comes from anxiety. And anxiety is when you are constantly there's repeated thoughts in your mind over and over again, and so you lack presence. And so I completely agree. I think the more present we are, the more we're noticing things, the more we're noticing I'm making my partner feel uncomfortable here, not I'm in my mind right now and I'm thinking about all the things I need or Oh, this conversation is actually not going in the direction that it should be. I need to stop defending myself and comfort the other person. If really reminded me of so many times where I've been like, what you said, you're bringing things from your past into the arguments that you're having in the present. I remember at the beginning, Jay's so incredible, but he would always try and help me with things, which is a very natural thing to do. But in my mind, I tell this story a lot, I would be like, no, I can do everything myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all myself.
Speaker 2: I don't need you.
Speaker 3: You don't need to help me. I can do it all myself. And he's like.
Speaker 2: Make them feel terrible.
Speaker 3: Probably He's like.
Speaker 1: I know you can, but I want to do it for you. So I would deprive him the ability to help me, which is his way of loving me. Yes, because I had something to prove, not to him, but to other people that used to be in my life.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many women are doing that to their male partners right now all the Okay, so I'm not alone, Yeah, no you're not. No, it's that happens. That's a dynamic that happens a lot. It's because they don't they're not recognizing that is love. They're making it all about them. And you know, oh, I can take care of myself and that whole story, and so we have to wake up to those things and be like, oh, this is this person trying to love.
Speaker 1: Me, just love me, and maybe I can receive that exactly, and not receiving it is actually cutting him off from you know, the cycle of love of me receiving it and accepting it. And it's just kind of like it's literally like him giving me a gift and me just throwing it away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The truth three. Lust is not the same as love. And this one I think so many people get confused with. Could you just define the difference between love and lust? And what are the signs of lust?
Speaker 2: Lust is that thing that we feel in the beginning when we feel an intense physical attraction to someone and we feel alive inside and we feel pretty amazing, until you know, it can easily become not amazing. It can easily become obsessive. We can easily then become incredibly disregulated. And so what kind of starts with all these sort of like beautiful love hormones can actually you turn into a lot of cortisol and dysregulation and stress. So lust when they say that, you know, love makes us crazy. I think it's more lust that makes us crazy. So lust is that feeling of intense attraction, and we think that it's love because we can't stop thinking about the person. But really what love, love is way more than just a feeling. Love is something that we do. The perfect example is the example you share it of Jay wanting to do things for you because he's wanting to love, and that by you sort of rejecting that because if your own past and story, you're sort of blocking the flow of love, right. You know, when there's lust, you might be like okay, you know fine, you know whatever that is, you know, and it's not like passion and attraction has to go away, but certainly in a long term relationship, it takes mindfulness to keep it alive. And in the beginning, like I said, it's just lust is also when we're just projecting our ideal onto you know, it's like, oh, I met this amazing person, they're just perfect, Oh my god. And sometimes that happens because we meet someone they have like a few things on our list that we want and we go mad over them and we put them on a pedestal. We can't stop thinking about them and they're a stranger. And love is really something that happens after that settles where we want to build a life with someone where someone's whole being and their needs are very important. There is important to us as our own.
Speaker 1: You mistake instability and the unknown with excitement, yes, and in love it's kind of like you feel this sudden feel, you feel this underlying feeling of stability, yes, and safety yes. And I think sometimes lack of safety can feel like excitement and lack of the unknown and this like what if and you know, you get you get into this well wind of the what if, and the what if feels really exhilarating and sometimes then when you're used to feeling lost. So I have a friend who I talked to her about this pretty much on a weekly basis.
Speaker 3: She's really wanting.
Speaker 1: To find a partner, but she keeps saying, I just don't feel the way that I've felt in my twenties when I meet people in my thirties, Like it just isn't that feeling that excitement.
Speaker 3: I don't feel that anymore.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, what you felt then, was you becoming obsessed with people without you even know you'd have one conversation and you'd be obsessed. So you are looking and craving for this obsession versus this stability and this feeling of safety. And I've fund a lot of my friends in there. I wonder what you think about it. Where, especially when we were younger, we would be you'd go on one day and you start thinking about your wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why do we do that? Where does that even come from?
Speaker 2: Because women just because a lot of women want to get married and they want the love and the partnership. You know. One thing about I'm curious, like with you since you brought your friend to this conversation, is she's someone who values uncertainty at a high level.
Speaker 1: I think she's used to men who have been uncertain in her life.
Speaker 2: But what about outside of men this something? Does she seek out adventure? Is she adventurous? Does she get bored easily?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say she seeks out adventure. The places she's the most adventurous are all the men that are the opposite of.
Speaker 2: Her, the opposite of her. Yeah, well, so she actually has much more of a controlled life.
Speaker 1: Yes, she definitely has a very regular life.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, So, well that very regular life that's filled with certainty can also get quite boring. So what she's doing is that she's trying to meet her need because we all have the need for novelty and adventure and the unknown. So she's trying to meet her need for the unknown because her life is very predictable through men and relationships, as opposed to learning how to meet that need. If she actually maybe took some risks in life and maybe was a little more leaning towards uncertainty and not just certainty, she may not need to find that.
Speaker 3: Take as many risks.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Some of those risks have ended her up in for twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: She knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was talking about the love in your twenties versus thirties, I was reading about this, and I don't know whether you know more about it, but it says how our hormones when we were in our teenag years and when we're in our young years, they're completely different, and because they are kind of coming into ourselves, Yeah, there's so much more erratic, and so that obsessiveness actually comes a lot easier when you are in your teenage years and when you're getting the first feelings of liking someone. And so when you've been through a few relationships or you felt that feeling quite a few times between your twenties and your thirties, once you get to your thirties or your forties, actually you don't have that intense hormonal attraction anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I know people who do have that, yeah, in their thirties and forties. But yes, that does track. I mean, look, it's also part of like immaturity, right, we're at that age, and yeah, I mean that definitely makes sense. There is some biological stuff to that. I mean, the presence of means that women create more oxytocin, and so that's more of the bonding hormone.
Speaker 1: So there's yeah, yeah, it makes sense. Do you believe that there is such thing as the One?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, okay, Please tell me more.
Speaker 2: What do people think of when they think of the One? They think of this person who's going to come into their life make all their problems disappear, and that they are this is unconscious. They think that this person is going to be more evolved than them and is almost going to be close to almost like a parental figure in that way that they're going to come and fill all our voids and that when we find our soulmate, everything is fine, and that's not true. I mean, and there's also many the ones. There's the one that you were with when you were sixteen, there's the one that some people got married to and then later divorced, and you know, it's also it says like if you're with the one, then you are guaranteed the relationship you want, and that is not true. And that probably is like the biggest problem with that concept that erodes are understanding of what love is. And so with the person who is right for you, you still have to show up and your problems are still going to be there, and you still have to participate in there and nurture the relationship. I know. I think if we thought there's just one person for us, that's a very depressing perspective because then waiting and waiting, they or they tell themselves, the hypnotize themselves into believing that the person who they lost is the one and so there's no one else for them and that's tragic.
Speaker 1: And then trying to mimic those feelings in someone else and thinking that's what I have to feel in the next relationship. Yes, I think that's something that people have struggled with that I've spoken to too, and I don't feel the same as I did when I was in that relationship. But each person is so different so it doesn't have to be a replication of that. You can have a different type of relationship and it can still be considered love.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and ultimately we choose so the one will be yeah, oh yeah, And.
Speaker 3: How do you choose that?
Speaker 1: Like, what if someone's trying to attract a partner right now in their life.
Speaker 3: You're saying you choose that? What is that process?
Speaker 2: It's emotions, but it's also a process of discernment. It's very important to know what it is that you want in a relationship and what it is that you need. Specifically, if you're someone who doesn't have the best track record, or you've been single a long time and you really want to meet someone, know what you want and what you need, but don't have a whole list of what this person looks like, or you know they know how to work or screwdriver or whatever it is. You have to like, we have to be very very clear about what's tolerable and what's intolerable right, and then have a lot of flexibility and open mindedness about the rest. But do get very clear about what your non negotiables are and what your deal breakers are.
Speaker 1: What do you consider Do you think everyone's deal breakers are going to be different?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting to him because I feel like there's so many people, especially online, that are like, these should be the non negotiables, and you know, you have your lists, and I think people are so swayed by other people's opinions when actually if they think they're like maybe I actually I am okay with this, and maybe this isn't how I see it. Like I know, when I started dating Jay, he was like, the one thing I'm just going to tell you now, these are the things that I know I won't be able to do. And he told me all that Who's like, I will not get in the kitchen. It's not because I think you should be in the kitchen, but I really don't enjoy it, and I will wash up, but I will not cook.
Speaker 3: And I was actually so fine with it.
Speaker 1: Then some of the other women in my life are like, but what about if you want him to cook for you? Like, what about if you, But don't you think that it's unfair that he doesn't want to cook in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: And that's all their belief system and all their conditioning, and you've got to turn down the volume of that noise and just decide what's right for you.
Speaker 1: So come home, and I'd be like, so, Jo, but what about if I got sick? Would you cook for me? Then he goes, no, I would get someone to cook for you, and I'd make sure they have the best meals for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, but what if I really wanted you to make my suit for me?
Speaker 1: But I've just said, like, that's not something I feel comfortable doing. Yeah, But and I was like, I'm so okay with it. But it was so interesting because I started seeing the shift of my beliefs or what I was okay with all my non negotiables because other people thought that should have.
Speaker 3: Been a non negotiable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's also ending how much that can shift based on how much you take in other people's values.
Speaker 2: That's a very very excellent point. I would say that maybe universally, if you want, there's certain principles that are really important for long term partnership, Like I don't know saying values similar values kindness, you know, kindness, respect, trust, those things. But beyond that, it's very personal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely is. I would love to switch gears to breakups. You talk about healing from past relationships. What do you find the common mistakes people make when they're trying to heal from previous relationships before they get into new ones.
Speaker 2: A big one is not taking the time to self reflect on what happened, understanding. You know, some people they really need to understand where the other person was wrong. You have to also understand where maybe you've contributed to the demise of the relationship. So it's really and I'm not saying you need to do this for years and years and years, but you do need to take some time to just self reflect. I would say for a lot of women, a big mistake is that they grieve too long. I forgot what the stat was, but something like the average of like it takes women like after a marriage seven years or something insane to get into a new relationship. So I would really love for those women to not deny themselves that privilege of moving on and opening up their hearts again. But I would say not self reflecting is a big one.
Speaker 3: And do you work with both men and women?
Speaker 1: I do have mean, you know, just a big difference in the ability to move on that's different between between men and women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, men tend to move on get into relationships much quickly, much more quickly than women. Part of that is because women tend to be more comfortable with really feeling their feelings and maybe sometimes even being in their feelings too long, whereas men typically have an easier time suppressing their feelings and then they start to feel it later. Another theory that I think is really interesting that why men tend to can easily jump into a relationship after a hard breakup is a lot of men value their freedom above anything else, and a lot of men will value freedom more than women value freedom, and so when a relationship ends, it's almost like even though they can be sad, and of course I'm not talking about every man out there, every guy out there, but they're able to really embrace their freedom more whereas women are like, I don't want it, I don't want it, like I just want to be with this person, and so they feel it's almost like they are there's a part of them that feels more comfortable with that breakup, and so then they're able to get almost get over it. But of course men are humans too, right, We're all humans, and everybody wants closeness, and so they're just able to just kind of go there again, do.
Speaker 1: You think there is a specific protocol that people should do when they break up with someone, so like no contact? Do you think no contact is necessary as a clean break from the person when you break up with them or can people be friends with eggs?
Speaker 2: I think everything is nuanced and contextual. So you can't go no contact if you have a family, if you have children, So there's that. What I have found is that a period of no contact is very, very very helpful. But if you had a marriage and a long term relationship, it's really hard to just switch that off. And some breakups, some breakups happen over a span of several months, but I will say it does more times than not really help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people struggle with that. I know it can bounce back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think the idea that love is enough can hold together a relationship or can you love someone and realize that actually they're not the.
Speaker 3: Right person for you? Can both be true?
Speaker 2: Yes, both can be true. Relationships actually rarely end because of lack of love. They more commonly end because people don't feel seen, they feel misunderstood, they feel so helpless. They go into a state of learned helplessness where they don't see a way out of the pain that they're in with this other person. It's not always the falling out of love, and sometimes it's sometimes the love is so strong, but the attraction is gone, so you don't feel motivated to meet that person's needs because they don't they You just don't feel that passionate love towards them anymore.
Speaker 3: I wanted to move one to truthful. You have to love yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes, you said what you accept in a tract is a reflection of what you deep down believe you deserve. Why do you think people with that in mind, why do people accept abuse in relationships over and over again? Where does that stem from?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to answer that question, yes, but I want to just add something, which is that I don't believe that. I do say in the book that there's two camps of thought you have to complete. One is you have to completely love yourself and feel whole in order to be in a relationship. The other one is no, no, no, you don't have to love yourself. You learn to love yourself through relationships. And I don't believe it's so binary. I believe it's somewhere in the middle. You don't have to completely love everything about yourself and be totally healed to be in a relationship. But getting to abusive relationships, I've never known a person who's been in a very unhealthy relationship and or an abusive relationship who also did not strug to accept who they are and love to love themselves. So why do people stay in abusive relationships? That was the question, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just see so many successful, ambitious women who see what they've got it all together and they end up in severely physically or emotionally abusive relationships.
Speaker 2: Shocking, right. So it's interesting how we can have so much confidence in one area of our life and then another area of life we just don't. There's a few reasons. One is that's how they saw their parents do it. Another one is that they just don't see themselves as worthy in that way. They don't see themselves as deserving of love. Maybe they've never seen it. Sometimes people stay in these relationships because they don't know the way out. Maybe they're afraid that there's going to be some sort of repercussion or consequence. Yeah, But most times it means something needs to be looked at within about why you tolerate that. And sometimes you see there's a lot in women they just are so empathetic. And what it is is that So we can't just reduce it to we don't love yourself. But what we can say is there are some people who are so adept at seeing the good in others, yes, that they are able to ignore what's really right in front of them.
Speaker 3: But he's got such a good heart, and I know that do better. Yeah, I know he wants to be a better.
Speaker 1: Person and less exactly, just constantly see that, and it's and it trumps the feeling that it's making you feel about yourself exactly. You can just lose yourself in this idea that you can. I think it goes back to the feeling of wanting to better someone else and you thinking that you can fix that person, yes, And so you think I can fix this person and I know that they are worth fixing, yes, And so it's I know that this is just because that they're having a bad time in life right now, and you kind of compartmentalize it too, that they're a good human and I can help them and these things are just that stemming from their deep rooted issues versus this.
Speaker 3: Is actually abuse.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's have How have you seen people come out of that?
Speaker 3: In the work that you do.
Speaker 2: It's difficult. It's helping the person recognize that that they can learn to differentiate between that you can have compassion for this person and you can empathize with this person, and you can also do that from a distance, right, And that's sort of the recovery work and codependency and alcoholism and all of that is learning how to detach with love and learning how to say, Okay, this is not going to work, but it's It's also there's more to it because in order to be constantly focusing on the other, there is inherently a neglect of the self. So it's also helping the person return to their life and theirselfs themselves and what they want to build in life. And depending on the situation it could be it can be difficult.
Speaker 1: And for a woman who wants to stop rebuilding her relationship with herself, how do you do you have any specific practices or ways that whether it's journaling, whatever, is any cues that you can give to someone on how they can stop changing that perception of what they deserve.
Speaker 2: One of the hardest questions to answer for everyone is what do I want? Yeah, but you need to reflect on that and maybe what you to make the question easier to answer is what would make me feel more fulfilled? What would make me feel more connected, what would make my life a little bit more fun? And you start to think about that, and by doing that you start to learn how to meet your own needs. Right, and then of course journaling. And for some people this is not for everyone. Some people are like, this doesn't work, and other people they say, this is amazing, looking in the mirror and saying I love you. Some people are like, I absolutely cannot do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is so craze.
Speaker 2: This is so cringe. But some people really get into it and building community, building building community. I think that, you know, bringing back this concept of freedom and women who stay in abusive relationships, I think it really behooves women to value freedom more than they typically do and to value purpose more than they typically do. Right, it kind of develops if you will sort of like their healthy masculine side. I don't even know if we would call that the masculine side anymore anyway, but you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, there's a great tip.
Speaker 1: So looking in the mirror, finding community and asking yourself questions about yourself, and yeah, to know yourself.
Speaker 2: And starting a new project like what a passion project or hardly anything, it's so incredibly important. And stay very close to your friends. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two five is you must speak up and tell the truth. What are some questions that if you're already in a relationship. What are some of the questions that we should be asking our partners regularly?
Speaker 2: How can I be an amazing partner to you this week? What do you need that you're not getting? There's something that I would really love for you to do for me. Can I tell you what that is?
Speaker 3: There's are great questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Funny Jay asks me them like every week. I'm like, I need to do that more. I spoke to a friend recently. I have some questions that actually have come also from I put up a poll online. Ohat, I asked questions. But I spoke to your friend recently. He was saying that they've been married for years. Both used to their usual routines with their kids, but realized that they had lost their connection. What can a couple that want to rekindle their loved.
Speaker 2: Part of what I hear in that question is it's not just rekindling love, is rekindling passion, because when we get stuck in the rut of routine, we can lose that. They need to do something very fun together, maybe every week that has just a little twinge of danger. Now I don't mean the kind of danger where you are literally putting yourself in danger, but just something that feels a little on the edge. Because what's that's going to do is spike some cortisol and give you some dopamine and then you guys are gonna be like feel very alive, and you're going to be doing that together. And that's that creates chemistry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said to me and Jay always trying to do like activities that we've never done before together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: Every time we don't like, this was so fun doing this together, and like whether it's going to a random dance class that we never have an intention of doing that dance at any other point in life, but it's just doing that one dance lesson that one time, or going to a pottery class, so like doing going to a secret escape room, which I'm horrible at. He's like really into And it's just so interesting because you see different aspects of each other and you get to have a laugh together. Since we always try and get out of our comfort zone of why we didn't want to sit here and just watch TV together all the time, or you know, getting out of your usual routine.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: To see each other in a different light.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that is the name of the game.
Speaker 1: You also say, when we're committed to being in a healthy relationship, we do not play games. It's really that simple. I feel like games are so subtle sometimes, whether it's I'm going to play this island treatment right now so he knows how much I'm upset with him without me telling him, or Okay, I'm going to leave this here just to annoy her because she's annoyed me. You know, there's so many subtle ways of playing games with each other. Manipulation, Yeah, manipulation, And I get I don't even know whether I have a question in this, but do you think that that comes from a lack of ability to communicate with each other? What your needs actually are.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it also comes from just a habit of punishing your partner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that everyone that I always encourage people to ask themselves when they're in a relationship or if they're reflecting on their past relationships that they're single, is so, what is your preferred method of punishment? Meaning how do you punish your partner? WHOA when you're upset? What do you do?
Speaker 3: I'm quiet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, quiet, ye, little quiet, I'm quiet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I didn't think of it as a punishment, but I can see to him that it feels like a punishment because he's such a communicator.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: But for me, I'm like, I'm quie. Are you okay? Yeah, I'm fine. Are you sure though, Like, no, I'm fine. Yes.
Speaker 2: But that keeps them clinging, And then there's a part of you that like it draws him closer, because if we're upset with someone, so a lot of times we're upset with someone, what that triggers inside of us is fear. Fear that maybe we're not good enough, fear that they're going to leave us. Even if we know they're not going to leave us, there's some sort of insecurity there, so we gain our power by doing that thing that makes them give us a lot of attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it's also just this little, this feeling of Okay, I really want to be loved by I don't want to ask for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's kind of that, isn't it. It's like, Okay, I'm leaving you all these hints. Yes, I want to be loved and I want you to love on me, but I don't want to tell you I want it because you should just know. And that's kind of like a little girl syndrome where it's just such a.
Speaker 2: Little girls syndrome because that's what girls do all the time. Let me test them, right, let me test them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that cycle needs to stop.
Speaker 2: Follow me, But why are you following you? No?
Speaker 1: I want to be left alone. Five minutes later, why is he not coming? Stop playing games? People, stop playing games. You talk about the cool girl and good girl mentality. I absolutely love that because I think society and the way that we are wired is to be cool girl or good girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you please explain the two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the cool girl is sort of like nothing bothers her and she can go out with the guys and drink a bunch of beers and be like one of the dudes, if you know, if she dates men or and then but in the bedroom, she's like, you know, like a porn star, you know, the cool girl. Nothing bothers her. Oh, it's all cool, Like she just goes with the flow. She doesn't wrestle any feathers. She's just like she does not create any problems because she doesn't do anything because she's cool, or like yeah, like I don't care or yeah, you know, like it's just that vibeing you try to be easygoing or you just try to be like yeah, like I don't care. Yeah, just just sort of like I don't care vibe that can attract people, especially immature people, right, just sort of like oh, like this is cool. She's cool, Like she doesn't tell me what she needs, there's no problems, I don't have to deal with anything. Everything with her can be easy, right.
Speaker 1: The desire to be the girl that's so easy that they can just hang out with whenever they want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what happens is that when you're playing the cool girl, you could be totally mistreated and be like no, no, it's cool, and that's great for someone who who loves to treat people poorly. And then the good girl is different. The good girl is do everything right by the books, and you don't assert yourself. You're just you are agreeable. And the thing is, agreeableness is a good trait. It's like there, but it's but we also have to have a limit because we have to bring a sense of self to a relationship. And if we're always being the good girl, then again like we're not, we feel lost inside ourselves, we feel lost inside our skin. We can be treated poorly, we don't get what we want. And so the antidote is not to become the bitch. The antidote is not to be you know whatever. It's not to be anyone. It's not to try to be anyone other than who you are. And so and that that can be easier said than done. The common thread between these two archetypes is I'm not going to tell the truth right to please you, to get you, to please you, to be enough to get you wrapped around my finger, to not leave me whatever it is. I am going to withhold my truth and I'm not going to have needs. And that does not work in a relationship.
Speaker 1: No, because and I Almoso think, coming back to what you said, one of the other truths were of you need to love yourself. It's like, if you're agreeable, you lose yourself in other people's decisions and other people's needs and other people's wants, so you actually lose complete sight of who you are. And then if you don't know who you are, you can't teach someone else to treat you how you want to be treated exactly.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, it's not that to be agreeable is bad. No, it's not being nice, not bad. It's really good. But it's about are you to what degree are you so agreeable that that you become a doormat in life?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can think I can. I can relate to both of them in different ways. So I definitely thought when me and Ja got married, I would be like, I don't really have any dreams or aspirations. I'll do whatever you're doing. And he had no desire for me to be that way. In my mind, I thought that is what a good wife should be, like. You know, he's got ambitions, he's got his dreams. I should the wah right now, I don't have anything. I don't I don't think I want to do anything, so I should just follow in his footsteps. And what he wants is what I what I should do, not he's asking me to, but what I think I should be doing. And it was so interesting because the more I ended up following in his footsteps, the more miserable I got. And he kept noticing. He was like, you need I want you to do what you love doing, like you do what you feel happy doing. You being happy will make me happy, not you doing what I do that doesn't make me happy. And then I noticed that in little ways, like when we were trying to figure out what to eat, I would be like, no, you decide, not because I knew I wanted, but in my mind I would think, oh if I if I don't say, if I say something that he doesn't want, then he'll end up just choosing it because of me, and then he won't be happy and what he wants.
Speaker 2: So that two of it. But it's cute that two of you are just trying to make each other happy, and.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, but I think it's also it's also this lack of wanting to assert what you want, and sometimes it can come out in the smallest ways and sometimes in the bigger ways where and the other person is that what do you want? Like I always think of that notebook thing is like what do you want?
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, what do you you?
Speaker 1: Even if you decide to compromise because of love, there's a difference between doing the compromising because of love and doing it because you're choosing to like oh if I say this, and maybe it's not the right thing, and therefore.
Speaker 2: And yes, and we're disappointing that person and it's all of that. Yeah, it's a huge awareness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: I wanted to head onto tooth six. Okay, you need to be your best self even after the honeymoon, and say, the fact is, even if you end up with the partner you've always dreamed of, you're going to have to face your demons. You're going to have to face yourself all the time. That is so, you know, I think when you end up getting married, a lot of people think, Okay, there we finally each other is done. Now now we can just you know, sail through. But it's almost like that's just the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, And.
Speaker 1: Working on yourself is working on your relationship. Do you have any recommendations of how each person, in their own way to be back to partners, can work on themselves, like what weekly, monthly things should they be doing, or reflections that they should be having about how they are as.
Speaker 2: Pon managing your stress, Yes, and noticing how your stress is coming out in the relationship, if it means that you withdraw, if it means that you get super irritable. I mean, we all have stress, but we're talking about the chronic stress going in and out. And you know, because we can't show up to a relationship consistently moody and irritable and in a bad mood and then expect just to be loved. We can have our bad days and that should be totally okay. Yeah, but that consistent bringing it to the relationship. So I think it's really about really monitoring one's behavior and stress and being mindful of the energy that they are consistently bringing to the relationship.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's so true.
Speaker 1: You always think, oh, but I'm just having a bad day. But as soon as you're having a bad day, you're then transferring that energy for the other person to also have a bad day. So it's how do I manage my stress and my emotions to not constantly be bringing that to energetically pull both of us down. Yes there is truth seven, Truth eight, and truth nine, but I think we're already heading over an hour. But I wanted to tell you guys what they are so you can read them. Truth seven is you cannot convince someone to love you, Tooth eight is no one is coming to save you. And truth nine is you must make peace with your parent. And I feel like it's good that we don't go into them because it gives them more to read. Yes, but I want to go onto just a few questions that I was asked by some of the audience. What is the right time frame to move in together?
Speaker 2: This is such an interesting question because there's a part of me that sees the value in a more tradition and all old fashioned framework, which is, you know, maybe you shouldn't move in until you actually know if you're going to get married or not. But I know that that's very old fashioned. I'll never forget when I moved in with my ex husband, and obviously that relationship didn't last, but I didn't give up my own apartment. Even though I moved in. I thought, you know what, I haven't known him I've only known him a year or no. I at that point, I only knew him like seven months, and we moved in quickly, and I thought, you know what, I'm not giving up my lease in New York. I'm not. We were in New York, but I'm like, I'm not giving up my lease. And I think I think that was very smart. That was very good advice my mother gave me, because you know, living together is a whole different ballgame, and so there's no one way to do a relationship. But I do tend to err on the side of like, can you just go a little bit slow and really get to know this person, because if it doesn't work out and you live together, oh, it just complicates the breakup.
Speaker 1: I also think there's the flip side, which is when if I don't live with him, then I won't know it. Like I think I need to live with him before we get married, so then I know whether it's gonna I.
Speaker 2: See that too. Yeah, and I see that as well. For sure.
Speaker 3: It's definitely to know.
Speaker 2: It's very it is a matter of chords. Just know again the messages. Just know when you live with someone and it doesn't work out, and this isn't to scare people, But you know, do you really want to immessure your life with someone who maybe you just haven't even known a year?
Speaker 3: Yes, so let's give you a year as a ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still think about and feel like I love someone I was with for ten years.
Speaker 3: How do I let him go?
Speaker 2: I would just say, it's really not about that person anymore. You're replaying a story in your head and you're living in the past, which makes me think that you're not living in the present. We need to start living in the present moment and start building a life for yourself that feels compelling to you, that you have a compelling reason to get out of bed to help others, whatever that is. Without fail, every person that I've ever spoken to or worked with who felt very much stuck in the past of a relationship that ended a long time ago, it's because they were procrastinating, if you will, resisting building their life in the present moment.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes it's also this feeling of this person changed me, or this person made me the happiest, Like that was the happiest I was in that era, and so and or this feeling of this person fixed me, or this person brought joy into my life and I haven't felt that since, And so I guess a part of it is also how do you then create that again for yourself.
Speaker 2: It's your relationship with yourself, it really, truly is. It just means that something needs to be explored and your relationship with you and your life. And absolutely, but a lot of times we were deluded. A lot of times. It's not a good really, it wasn't a great relationship. But we're replaying stuff and we're stuck in time, and you know, you want to slowly untether yourself and sometimes you know, a spouse dies and that's very hard, and it's a process to open yourself up to love again.
Speaker 1: I also think the more that you replace stuff in your mind, it's almost like it gets a little bit changed each time based on the narrative you want to create in your mind. So the story can, like let's say you've been thinking about it for ten years, the story slowly, slowly, slowly shifts towards to be favorable, towards what you want to happen or what you want to believe. So I know, like, even if you've been in a toxic relationship, you remember like the really beautiful times, and slowly, if you keep thinking of the beautiful times, you completely forget the times that he called you x racy, and you completely forgot about the time where he like, you know, locked you out of the house or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh, but that.
Speaker 1: One time he like hugged me and it just felt like the whole world fell away, and it's like yeah, but the next day he's putting a bit yes, yes, you know, like yes, but.
Speaker 3: You really do.
Speaker 1: And so I think the problem is the more you repeat thoughts in your mind or like stories or visuals of what that relationship was like, the further away you get from it, the more distorted it has the ability to be.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's very true, right, Yes, all memory we distort and delete all sorts of memories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, So stop rebuilding whoever this is, Stop rebuilding your own love for yourself and creating new memories that make you feel just as happy. How can I know if I'm being empathetic or justifying something I shouldn't.
Speaker 2: It's all boils down to defining and being able to define the tolerable versus the intolerable, and that is very important going into a relationship, especially if you feel like you have not been treated well on the past. So knowing what's tolerable the intolerable and then also investigating your stories. Are you're saying like this? You know? Is this? A lot of times it'll be like, well, I don't like the way that I'm being treated, but we don't think about, oh, how we're actually treating the other person too. But if you have a history of tolerating less than you deserve and you don't realize if you're being empathetic one, you can ask someone who you really trust, who has an objective point of view, and then to really have someone help you get clear about what is intolerable in a relationship. Yeah, a lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, know what your boundaries are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to know what your boundaries are.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thank you so much for this.
Speaker 1: I probably could ask you a thousand more questions, but I won't take up too much of your time. Thank you again, and everybody please go out and get it begins with you. It is such a beautiful book, and I guarantee you will come away from it learning so much more about yourself.
Speaker 3: Did thank you, Thank you. It's really beautiful. And I thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you too, Thank you