Speaker 1: I am all inlets.
Speaker 2: You, I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, one of them productions. iHeart Media, I heart Radio. I Heard Popsicles, I Heard Everything. Pop Culture Season seven, Episode three, Loralized First Cotillion, joined by my Trepherd Crew, Amy, Sugarman, Terror Suit. Where's Danielle? She'll be all right? And Susanne is on vacation on the East Coast with her lovely husband and having a wonderful time. And Danielle is occupying the throne well and she may never get out of it. When when Susanne.
Speaker 3: Returns true True.
Speaker 1: Tara, why don't you take us away?
Speaker 4: Alrighty? So, Rory and Laurlai have just been introduced to Charlotte, Emily and Richard's house. Rory says, you know, Charlotte's Web is one of my favorite books. Lorla says, spiders talking to pigs. What could be better than that? Charlott's Webb is a children's book written by E. B. White and is considered a classic. The book was adapted into an animated feature and a live action film, And did you Know In Charlotte's web. In the live action movie, there were forty seven Wilbers on set because the piglets grew up so fast.
Speaker 1: You can you imagine being the pig wrangler.
Speaker 5: No, there's a lot of pigs.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of piglets.
Speaker 3: Lot.
Speaker 1: Charlotte is explaining why she missed the table manner session for the summer Cotillion. Charlotte, I'm awfully sorry about that, Missus Gilmore. My grandparents took me to account Basie tribute at Tanglewood. Count Basie was a jazz pianist, organist, bandleader, and composer. Nineteen thirty five, formed the Count Basie Orchestra and performed with them for over fifty years, at the very top.
Speaker 3: The zenith of that business.
Speaker 1: Did you know? Count Basie's most famous collaborators included Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. Bassi's orchestra performed with Sinatra several times. What a man, what a time.
Speaker 5: I think you should do the next one too, except your.
Speaker 1: Alley really yeah, all right too in a row. I mean we're breaking president here I go. I will need extra pay.
Speaker 3: Just letting you know.
Speaker 1: Rory is helping tutor at Paris's sat Prep program. When the timer goes off Paris, that's it pencils down. That means you, Casanova, time is up everyone else, unless your parents want to start paying overtime, which for many of you might be a good idea. A Jacomo Casanovo was a Venetian who lived from seventeen twenty five to seventeen ninety eight. He was an adventure and author. He became known as a ladies man. In his memoir, he wrote that he made love to one hundred and thirty two women hardly, hardly Wilt Chamberlain's standards. That's like Wilt Chamberlain in one in a month.
Speaker 5: I never knew his first name was Jakomo.
Speaker 1: Though, Oh no, you know, I didn't either. I thought it was Fred. His memoir has been turned into many film adaptations starring Heath Ledger, Tony Curtis, Bob Hope, Donald Sutherland. I think that Donald Sutherland was Bob Hope, Fellini Bob Hope. Not to be right, that's not, yeah, it's not.
Speaker 3: You would normally think God.
Speaker 5: To Sully the great name of Bob Hope.
Speaker 1: But yet, what Casanova? Did you know that Casanova achieved celebrity status by mingling with famous people and making himself the subject of gossip. He hobnobbed with Voltaire, Catherine the Gray, and Benjamin Franklin. Well, wow, isn't he special anyway? I think, Amy, it's this one. Let's know, I want to do this one.
Speaker 5: I was going to say this one is better for you too.
Speaker 1: It really truly is, because I've actually read Henry Miller books. Rory and Lane are in the library reading books to help out with the recent problems pregnancy and boys. Rory, well, it's supposed to be metaphorical and evocative. It's Henry Miller, Lane. Henry Miller has better stuff than that. Believe me. This is not why they banned his books. Henry Miller was a writer who published several semi autobiographical novels. His work blended personal philosophy, social critique, UH, and candid depictions of s X. His books were banned for decades in the United States. I remember in high school reading a book that has called The Time of the Assassin. It was a book about Rombo.
Speaker 5: I had never even heard of this guy until Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Oh Henry Miller, really, oh wow? The book Rory is reading is called sexist The first volume is the Rosie Crucifixion Trilogy. The book is about Henry Miller's early sexual escapades in Brooklyn. Did you know Henry Miller had five wives? Shocking? I was gonna say shocker. I wasn't about to read attended church regularly. It was going to be had five wives. Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: This was funny. Lourlai welcomes the young girls to the inn to practice for cotillion. Is the library ready for us, Emily says Lorlai. Yes, the tables are set and the tea is brewed, and I have hired some extra poor people for the girls to look down on. Charlotte. She's the one I told you about a regular. Immagene Coka Michelle, Oh my god, I love them. They're like Madame Alexander dolls come to life.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Immagene Coca was a comic actress, best known for her role on Your Show of Shows with Sid Caesar. She was nominated for five Emmy Awards and won for Best Actress in nineteen fifty one. But most people listening to this podcast know are from one of two things. Her role on The Brady Bunch, where she was to look like jan and I think Jan was kind of like bent out of shape that in earlier years she looked like Imogene Coca and it's like, come on, Jan, and she's Aunt Edna from vacation. Who the dog Pete on the sandwich?
Speaker 3: She died.
Speaker 5: They put her on top of the car.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was Imagene Coca.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these are classic imaging Coca roles that we might know. Immagene Coca survived a serious car accident in nineteen seventy three with left her without sight in her right eye. Now we also can talk about Madame Alexander Dolls. Madam Alexander Doll Company is a manufacturer of collectible dolls founded by Beatrix Alexander in nineteen twenty six. Madam Alexander created the first doll based on a licensed character, which was Scarlettlehair from the movie Gone with the Wind and.
Speaker 1: A nice fact that's a nice factory tire. Europe was the last one.
Speaker 4: There weren't that many of this.
Speaker 5: I feel like I have a theory on that they bombarded us with so many weird pop culture references, not weird, but too many that it got weird. In the one before that.
Speaker 1: Somebody was like dialog a wow, Also, this is truly one of the big reasons why everything feels off, because the pop culture references are I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 5: Really sure, they're mostly there's very few, they're very historical, and I think it's because, like you know how you said you get notes. I bet you someone gave a note like too many and then they just did nothing.
Speaker 4: I wonder also, did you notice in so far the first three episodes, there's a lot of food talk, like more than pop culture.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's like a crutch they're like when in doubt talk about food or pop culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like PP and J pop tarts, like we're just gonna throw like sandwiches. Like there's there was a lot of food talk.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: So Charlotte is introducing Lorelei to her grandparents. Arthur says, oh, the famous Laura I. Lorale says famous. I have to catch up on my US weeklies. Arthur says, Charlotte told us you were a card. Beverly says, she also told us that you were a delightful dining companion, like Noel Coward and Slim Keith rolled into one. Lorlai says, oh, well, she's delightful too, like Shirley Temple and Mother Teresa and someone with very good table manners rolled into one. Noel Coward was a playwright, director, an actor known for his wit and flamboyance. Slim Keith was an American socialite and fashion icon of the fifties and sixties. Slim also is featured as one of the Swans in the current Ryan Murphy show Feud Capodi Versus the Ones, and Slim is portrayed by Diane Lane in the series. Shirley Temple is an American actress, singer, dancer, and diplomat who is the Hollywood who was Hollywood's number one box office draw as a child's.
Speaker 5: Access She went on to be an ambassador to something.
Speaker 4: Yep, and I still to this day ordered Shirley Temples. And did you know the Shirley Temple drink was created when she was out at a restaurant and needed something non alcoholic to drink.
Speaker 1: That's famous.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, she was whining over her parents sipping old fashioned drinks, which also come with a signature Marashina cherry.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah the best.
Speaker 5: So the waiter created a version for her. Yeah and so, and every kid loves a Marashino cherry mm hmmm, so that's interesting. My theory on the pop culture is too much now too little, Just like Goldilocks, I can't quite get it right.
Speaker 4: There's only six I know.
Speaker 5: It's really light, but last time was so crazy.
Speaker 4: So you think week by week they're like, all right, I don't know.
Speaker 5: They're trying to find their way. I think that's what they're trying to find their way and maybe next week will be so wonderful and s marvelous.
Speaker 1: All right, kids, that's going to wrap it up for this very lengthy marathon episode of pop culture. We will see you next time. Best fans on the planet, keep download and keep sending your cards and matches. We love you all the best.
Speaker 3: Stay safe, everybody, don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.