Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for day Edith State?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Whoo whoom and down and tie.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Solid Verbal, boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand. Joining me over there back in New York City, My man Dan Ruberstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I am fantastic, Tie, I am ready to talk about America's Division.
Speaker 1: America's Division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm ready the PAC twelve North, It's time.
Speaker 1: PAC twelve North.
Speaker 3: We got a little Mountain West Mountain YEP action on today's show. We should point out that we are recording this show on Wednesday, but it is being posted on Sunday, the twelfth, which means that people will be listening to this show a day after our live show in Chicago. Yeah, so perhaps we should offer some qualifiers here just to account for anything wacky that might transpire on Saturday evening at the live show.
Speaker 2: Ty, I can't believe you beat up my family?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uncalled for?
Speaker 3: Can you believe that Adam Amin mooned the crowd? It was uncalled for, but still provocative.
Speaker 2: He said he was going to tie, and people didn't trust him. I can't believe you ate that much chicken tie. I cannot believe you put away that much chicken hashtag tenders with tie.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everyone that came out. We'll be releasing that show here shortly.
Speaker 2: I really hope the show happens. I really really do.
Speaker 1: It is only Wednesday. You never know.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for coming on back. This is actually our final previous show. We've gone through all the Power five divisions. We've talked about all of the Group of five conferences this point, we've saved perhaps the best two for last in talking about the PAC twelve North and the Mountain West Mountain Division. It is a division that is near and dear to your heart, Dan, because of your Oregon allegiance. I know we talked about the PAC twelve South. You're sort of like an encyclopedia for all things Pack twelve. So I do tend to lean on you a little bit more when we talk about all things PAC twelve, especially PAC twelve North. As you look at this conference, how's your heart?
Speaker 2: First of all, Ty just tried to trick me and try to trick all of you because we're going to get to the Conference USA Western Division on a Q and a show before the season starts or something. We promise we will. Okay, we're not leaving you out North Texas or UAB my bead, my PSA.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: But the bigger question, Ty, how do I feel about the PAC twelve North? Really excited? I am so pumped and I'm going to tell you why. Oregon State it's gonna win more than one game. You heard it here. I think they're gonna win more than one game. I don't think they're gonna win their opener at Ohio State, but I think they're gonna win more than one. No, I'm excited for this conference or this division. Excuse me, quarterback play should be very very good. Jake Browning, Justin Herbert kJ Costello, I know you're probably in on the Bower hour, just so you can say Bower hour. Yeah. I anticipate Wazoo's quarterback situation, whether or not it's Gardner Minshew or a younger player being at least decent, given Mike Leach's track record with quarterbacks, but I am I'm excited because the talent level. I'm excited because of offenses. I'm excited about returning familiarity, and I think it will be an improved division from where it was last year, mostly because of Cal and Oregon.
Speaker 3: I agree, And that gets me to the reasons that I care. Because you've got an old trust you like Washington at this point, which you sort of know what you're gonna get, especially with seventeen guys back from last year's team in Chris Peterson, you just know what you're gonna get. Stanford, I think you have a pretty good idea of what you're gonna get, not so much from the quarterback position, which was a bit up and down last year, but did seem to settle in with kJ Costello towards the latter half of the year, but mainly because we've got Bryce Love who had twenty one hundred yards a year ago, and also he's got a pretty experienced line in front of him, which we'll talk about. But four guys back in total, you know what you're gonna get from Stanford. Oregon and Cal are the X factors, and that's why I care, because I don't know which way Oregon's headed. I want you to tell us. And Cal I think could be pretty damn plucky. I care about plucky teams. Cal's got a lot of pluckiness in him this year.
Speaker 2: You want to start with Washington?
Speaker 3: I do want to start with Washington. Washington, Washington went ten and two a year ago. They've got seventeen starters back, as I mentioned, eight on offense, nine on defense. Some big losses to account for, right, Vita Vea.
Speaker 2: Certainly literally big loss, yeah.
Speaker 1: Chief among them.
Speaker 2: Right, Dante pettis enormous.
Speaker 3: Dante Pettis sure, yeah, but Dan, I want to start with something a little bit more important to our universe.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm ready for this.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about the quarterback position at Washington? Who is their starting quarterback? By the way, for those wandering at home playing the home.
Speaker 2: Game, Jake Browning.
Speaker 3: I believe it'd be Jake Browning coming back for his senior season. His backup is also a red shirt freshman by the name of Jake. The third stringer is a freshman by the name of Jake Jacob Sermon. I believe there's also a Jacob by the name of Easton who is transferring over from Georgia, originally from the state of Washington. But he's going to be sitting out this year, Dan, there are four Jake on the depth chart here in some capacity.
Speaker 2: We have what a history of Jake Locker Yep, Jake Heaps is from the state. Jake Busey is one of our fine cinematic additions. Now there's a lot of Jake's. There's a lot a lot of Jake Jacobs's. But I think they have another freshman named Colson. Is his middle name Jake, it has to be well, his last name is Yankov, which is okay, which is a lot. It's a lot. There's a lot of Jake on this QB room. And we spent like forty five minutes going back and forth on g chat coming up with names for the Jake situation. It's not good for anybody to go through these.
Speaker 3: I think twenty eighteen is probably the year that we stopped calling them Washington and start calling them Jake Forrest.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. Was that mine or yours?
Speaker 1: I think that was mine?
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, I'm trying to find the best one. Jake Otomy I thought was pretty good study of Jake, like tracheotomy.
Speaker 1: The great Jake's was another one.
Speaker 2: Yoh, Jacob and afraid not my favorite jake me up when you go go oh for Pete's Jake because of Chris Peterson.
Speaker 1: Right, Jake me up when September ends.
Speaker 2: Another one, my actual good one was Jake Shack because like that's what you call the quarterback room.
Speaker 1: I do like Jhack. That's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, jjj. Forest does have the college and the you know, the forestry, the outdoors element of the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 3: So okay, schedule's great. That was very important to Deep Dive. Sorry, extremely important.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Otherwise though, I think the schedule sets up well. They've got the neutral Cider against Auburn, which we talked about on the Wednesday show, and we previewed the SEC West that games in Atlanta on week one. Beyond that, they're at Utah on September fifteenth, They're at Oregon on October thirteenth, Stanford's at home. They get ASU, Ucla and Colorado from the South. The one thing that I will throw out there, and I'll even play what's digging at You one of my favorite sounds.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 1: They are at cal the week before Stanford.
Speaker 2: That's tasty.
Speaker 1: That is a potential trap game.
Speaker 3: But otherwise, Dan, I think barring injury, you got Jake Browning overtaking Cody Pickett as the all time leading passer in Husky history. You've got Miles Gaskin, who is back for like his eighteenth year, only fifty one yards away from overtaking Napoleon Kaufman the all time leading rusher list in Husky history. I'm going to reiterate what I said though on the Pivotal People episode. The offense looks great, the defense looks great. I think Chico mcclatcher is the guy to watch. Not a big dude, but he's a game breaker. That's what Washington needs at the wide receiver position.
Speaker 1: And he's back, and he's been this last year he was hurt.
Speaker 3: I think Chico mcclatcher could bring an element to this offense that it was really in need of and still is in need of entering twenty eighteen. I feel real good about Washington. They're a playoff caliber team. They probably win the North. I think eleven and one give me.
Speaker 2: Oh you feel about them if they lose comfortably to Auburn to start the season comfortably, If they lose twenty seven sixteen, oh man, and it's not like twenty to sixteen and they get a last second touchdown. It's you know, it's twenty seven to nine and Washington scores a garbage point.
Speaker 1: I think I'll be I think I will be stunned by that.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if that happens, that's not a crazy thing to think of. No, it's not for how good Auburn will also be.
Speaker 1: Will that affect how I feel? Marginally?
Speaker 2: I think Washington. It's not must win, but Washington needs to look really good. Washington can't lose like they lost to Penn State, where they look pretty good on offense and move the ball a ton, but keep giving up key conversions and stuff like that and are outclassed. I like Washington a whole bunch, and it has almost nothing to do with their offense, even though their line is enormous and should be really good, anchored by Trey Adams, who comes back after getting hurt near the end of last season. Miles Gaskin's great. The name I really like is Salvon Ahmed whatever. I don't know how you perfectly pronounce everything there, but he is versatile and excellent and all purpose type player. Their secondary is absurd. I'm concerned about linebacker. I'm not super concerned about them up front on defense. Their secondary Miles Bryant, Austin Joyner, Taylor Rapp, Byron Murphy is like the third or fourth corner there. They are in an excellent position given what the Pac twelve will throw at this Washington team schedule wise and quarterback wise. So this is who Washington has to face quarterback wise, of the Power five teams on their schedule. Jared Stidham, Tyler Huntley, Manny Wilkins, who whoever is starting? Probably Dorian Robinson, Thompson Thompson Robinson, I spell get it right. At UCLA. The Chip Kelly offense should be okay at least justin Herbert in Eugene, the Bauer Hour who you're high on, kJ Costello, who I think will have an improved year and they'll probably slaughter Washington State. But that's a good position to be in against that quarterback lineup because there are some guys on that schedule that can wing it.
Speaker 3: I saw that Washington was having trouble against its own defense in some of the early training cap reports.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm a little bit worried about Washington's offense. Why And I'm still worried. And I know Chico mcclatch is good and I know you like him, and Hunter Bryant is a very good tight end is big. I'm worried that Jake Browning has peaked at good and in order for this team to make the playoff, I think he needs to get to excellence. And it's it's amazing that he's good. It's amazing that Washington has a good quarterback. After going so long with like well Keith Price had those couple quarters where everything seemed to work out, It's been a long time since they've had a good quarterback. And I think people are going to key on like the better teams on Washington schedule did last year. They're going to key on making Brownie beat them not just through the air but downfield. And I'm not sure without Pettis now the second year without John Ross, I'm not sure within the context of Washington making the playoff, they have that guy. Yeah, but that defense means Washington has scored twenty points a game and they'll be fine. Yep, So I think Washington minimum was winning ten.
Speaker 1: I agree. Let's move on. Let's go to Stanford.
Speaker 3: The Cardinal went nine and three a year ago, fifteen guys back, including Bryce Love. I mentioned at the top of the show twenty one hundred yards eighteen touchdowns.
Speaker 1: He is most it's likely your Heisman front runner. At this point.
Speaker 3: I mentioned four guys back along the line. It is a gigantic line. Dan two guys on that line are six'. Seven three of them were honorable mention FOR pac Twelve team of The. Year one of them was a first Team All pack twelver Or this is really the guts of the. Team it's always the guts of the, team but ever more of the case this. Season very formidable on, offense especially if kJ costello can continue. Improving he's got veteran. Receivers he himself is a lot more of a dual threat. Guy the OFFENSE i think is going to be really, good depending how Good costello, is depending how they use him, stylistically this.
Speaker 1: Could be a more interesting offense. Too SO i am genuinely excited about what they do on that side of the.
Speaker 2: Football we need to just take a second and just admire the fact That Bryce love is the single most dangerous player with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 1: Football.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we you sort of glossed over that fact not, INTENTIONALLY i think more because we've just gotten accustomed To Bryce love being mister. Dangerous But stanford has two straight running backs that are just absurd and you have to hold your. Breath and that is what like you feel as a, defense as as somebody rooting for a. Defense and this is a situation we've both found ourselves. In anytime he touches the ball and he's tackled for like a seven yard, gain, yeah you're, like, oh thank. God his average was eight point. One but oh my, god he only just torched us for fourteen. Yards oh praise. Be so that Is Bryce. Love that is what he. Represents that is who he. IS i am concerned similarly About stanford's stretching teams down the, fields concerned about conservatism on offense and not taking shots and punting on the you, know the other team's forty. Three those are things that annoy me and will in perpetuity About. Stanford and they're just going to keep winning nine or ten games a year despite any of my stupid. Concerns, defensively a lot of new names and, faces both on the line and in the secondary that has me a little. Worried the linebacking, course should be pretty. Good but like you could just If Stanford stanford's schedule the Worst september in the. COUNTRY i have a Long.
Speaker 3: September, YEAH i mean it's up there with you, know who is it that Had, Clemson alabama And South.
Speaker 2: CAROL a and M.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah in the first month of the. Year.
Speaker 2: Yeah this Is San Diego, state which is probably one of the four best group of five TEAMS. Usc THE Uc davis aggis. No then after The San Diego STATE usc and then AFTER Uc davis, no no bi weeks in. Here mind you At oregon At Notre.
Speaker 1: Dame it's.
Speaker 2: Tough that could be potentially four top thirty three defenses In. September. Yeah, still and then they go and then they Play.
Speaker 1: Utah, yeah we should be pretty. Good deal with all.
Speaker 3: That. YEAH i look at The stanford team AND i, say, well if things break their, way mm, hmm they're a dark horse for the. Playoff, oh dark, horse that's that's my, turf, TY i, know dark Horse stanford and uh maybe a ten and two possible contender for the pack.
Speaker 2: Twelve, uh there's any use of THE p word to me means you have at least a very good. Quarterback and at least a very good. Defense that is my bottom line bar AND i don't see that With. STANFORD i see another nine or ten one, year probably eight and, four nine and. Three if they go eight and, four they'll win their bowl game and go nine and.
Speaker 1: Four all, right let's go To, Oregon, Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah this is the point in our preseason shows where we're pre going to snack right, now OR i could go get a, snack maybe go out get a fresh bottle of water or. Something But oregon seven to, five a new, coach sort Of Maria cristabaal was their offensive coordinator year. Ago will we tagger leaves go To Florida? State laid on me, Here dan laid on. Me how are we feeling About oregon in twenty.
Speaker 1: EIGHTEEN?
Speaker 2: Mm their schedule is such And i've said this multiple times that they could have a better record than what they actually represent on the. Field they have absolutely nobody early in the non. CONFERENCE i believe it's That's Bowling green to open the. Season we've Got.
Speaker 3: Bowling, Green we've Got Portland, state and we've Got San Jose state in the non conference.
Speaker 2: Slate So Portland state In San Jose state have been. Awful you can get into any of these games that are all IN ats and for under right, now so that's pretty good if you're looking for a. Steal i'm not going to advertise the, website but you can get in pretty cheap to those. Games So oregon's gonna go three to zero and they Have stanford and they go to cal to round Out. September they do all of this with what we believe to be a very good quarterback who has not had a very good game against a very good, team both because of injury and. Performance so there's still that he will be playing behind a line that has a ton of experience but loses its best, player but is recruited there very well and should rotate in some young players who are, promising, crazy. Undisciplined oregon needs to stop shooting itself in the foot with. Penalties Justin herbert will be handing the ball off to promising running, backs but nobody that scares you Like Royce freeman Or Kenyon, Barner Limichael James Leger blunt that, level at least to our, knowledge could BE. Cj, verdell could Be Tony, Brooks james who's been around forever receiver they're solid. There they get a transfer in To Barnie hines tight. End the solid, again no game breakers Like Darren carrington was at least that jumps out in Mid. August, defensively they should be very, good especially. Upfront Troy dye is one of the, best probably two or three linebackers in the. Conference up, Front Jordan scott was a Freshman All american nose. Tackle next to, Him Jalen jels is gonna be really. Good the depth isn't, there and you can say that about all three levels of their. Defense there's talent depth. Questions so if they are healthy on, defense they should have a top thirty, defense top twenty five defense in the. Country because of the, schedule they MISS usc they Get washington at home after a, buye they Get stanford at, home they GET ucla at. Home they travel To, utah which is always tricky for, everybody and they Host Arizona. State the other trappiness is To Washington. State not terribly worried About wazoo this, year To arizona which is always just danger in the. Desert so this to, ME i have a sense of like a nine and three type year For.
Speaker 1: Oregon i've got nine or ten wins.
Speaker 2: Here, yeah it's a very good year to have a good defense and a good. Quarterback the depth isn't there to be a playoff, team receivers not there to be a playoff, team and the unknown quality Of Marcus arroyo Slash jim Mastro co, coordinators they're going to be running like they're switching the offense around pretty. DRAMATICALLY i think the goal is to be AND i talked about this on our Friends Wildcat radio. Today Tempo stanford out of the pistol with spread. Elements does that mean anything to you or those are just? Words a little bit of, Both, dan to be, Honest, yeah so there is a giant question mark about what this offense actually is and is trying to. Do so that to me is why ten wins means you've got your act.
Speaker 3: Together you weren't, everywhere you weren't jumping through. Hoops when they Hired Mario, CHRIS i think you saw it for what it. Was you thought it made. Sense it continued a lot of What oregon was trying to put in. Place But Mario cristobal was a guy when he was a head football coach at f I u we were doing the podcast at the. Time he got a lot out of that, team and those were exciting football teams. TOO i remember watching T Y. Hilton you remember T Y? Hilton of? Course Does oregon have a T Y hilton this? Year are they gonna have a go to playmaker that Isn't Justin herbert.
Speaker 2: On, offense you, know as like an all purpose? Weapon? UNCLEAR i, Mean Dylan mitchell is a. Receiver he's not like a slot guide, necessarily and he came on strong late last. Year Tabari hines was Wake forest and the co, offense he was their leading. Receiver they get healthier at tight, end but there's nobody that's game. Breaking if it's, anybody it's Probably Dylan, mitchell with a slight chance Of Johnny. Johnson but those are those feel LIKE b plus guys right.
Speaker 1: NOW i feel nine, wins nine wins feels about right to.
Speaker 2: Me i'm gonna say nine wins with losses To, Washington, arizona And utah.
Speaker 1: Maybe a talk to your friends About oregon kind of.
Speaker 2: Year but that would mean they'd Beat, stanford they Beat, ucla they Beat wazoo on the, roads they Beat Arizona state at. Home that's a pretty successful. Year but, yes nine and three with if they get injury luck both staying healthy and other teams losing crucial. Players sure there's ten and two, flirtation.
Speaker 1: Ten and two. Flirtation.
Speaker 3: Yeah with that being, Said, dan if you've been, flirting if you've been playing foot sees with The, athletic just want to pull that trigger, Tie but you're nervous if you've been on the. Fence we are offering a great. Deal now we've been offering it for a couple of. Weeks the deal won't last, forever mind you now forty percent off your first year. Subscription it comes to two ninety nine a. Month you can get access To The, athletic which is of course a subscription based publisher of smarter sports coverage for diehard sports. Fans there are no, ads no pop, ups no audible. Videos you can really get in, depth high quality coverage for people that you know and, love people we've had on the. Podcast, yeah for forty percent, off all you got to do is go To theathletic dot com slash solid verbal sign. Up through THAT, url you will not only help us, out but you're going to get yourself a low cost way to get the in depth kind of coverage you need to know more than your friends and stay fully up to date with what's going to go on this college football season in twenty.
Speaker 2: Eighteen it's all just clean and easy time be a part of the. Future and if you're An organ, fan we just Previewed Organ Chantel jennings is In. Portland she's a national writer but Covers oregon super. Well Tyson alger is a beat writer For. Oregon he's on the job and they have a Strong West coast presence just in. General Dan uthman yeah us who runs the college football The All american SITE i believe is In. Portland come, on No East coast. Bias here is What i'm here, Now Pacific northwest. Bias it's very. Real it's very, small but it's very. Real The athletic Dot com Slash Solid. Verbal it's one of those things where you've been waiting to pull the. Trigger you've wanted a. Reason let that reason Be dan And ty convincing, you helping out the. Show and once you do, it we're telling you you'll wonder why you didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Sooner theathletic Dot com Slash Solid. Verbal check it out.
Speaker 2: Where you want to go, Next, Dan let's talk about the bower. Out let's talk about your.
Speaker 3: Enthusiasm cal went five and seven a year, ago but this year they have ten guys back on offense and eight on. Defense they do this year the road schedule isn't. Terrible, Okay now keep this in. MIND i say, that but when we start talking about a team Like, cal it's not so much a question of whether or not the talent will perform on the. Road this is a question we ask about teams THAT i think are more known quantities that we expect more. From we can ask that question About, washington or About stanford Or auburn Or Alabama, georgia teams that we know what we're going to. Get will that team perform on the? Road For, cal it's really a question across the board about whether or not the talent is elite enough to.
Speaker 1: Win elite period?
Speaker 2: Elite All?
Speaker 1: Right Is cal? Elite?
Speaker 3: Perhaps is a question we can ask ourselves in spots about The Cal Golden. BEARS i SUSPECT i know the, answer and the answer is.
Speaker 2: NO i promise you every week that we preview games this, YEAR i am going to check.
Speaker 1: In is? KLALITE i hope you. Do i'm going to can.
Speaker 3: We know the answer to the question is. Klalite the answer is no In. August Where i'm going with this, though is That Justin wilcox is elite at getting the most out of his. Guys so even if he doesn't have high end, talent you're gonna see a lot of puckiness out, there a lot of pluckiness out. There these guys are playing. Hard The Bauer hour will be fun to watch With Ross bauer's starting. Quarterback mm. HMM i think realistically we're talking six and, six seven and, five but it would not surprise me to see. EIGHT i like this cal team BECAUSE i think they're gonna play. HARD i think the returning talent will be something That Justin wilcox is going to use as a springboard to improve upon his five wins from a year.
Speaker 2: Ago so it's difficult for me to get fully on board with the team that went too and seven in The pac twelve last.
Speaker 1: Year, fairpoint very.
Speaker 2: Fair they lose seven of their last, nine.
Speaker 1: And they were.
Speaker 2: COMPETITIVE i will say that they were. Competitive they lose in double overtime To. Arizona they lose by a field goal in a very strange game To. Stanford they lose by field goal TO, ucla so they were, competitive AND i think that shows a lot to your use of the word, plucky which makes me a little, uncomfortable But i'm okay with it WHEN i look at what they have right. NOW i am not sold On Ross, bauers And i'm not necessarily sold On brandon, mcelwaine who was pushing him The South carolina. Transfer BUT i love their. COORDINATORS i Love Bo, BALDWIN i Love tim De, ruter their past. Defense it's very tough not to when you see things crumbling around, you when the offense is taking a step, back to not sort of let your guard. DOWN i liked that they played hard all year. LONG i like that their non conference schedules pretty.
Speaker 1: Good this.
Speaker 2: Year they go To North, carolina which was just delta, blow like eight and a half hours after we did OUR Acc coastal preview with thirteen players getting suspended for Selling Jordan's they Have oregon After Oregon, stanford and that's At, cal so there's a big body blow situation. There they Have arizona After ARIZONA. Usc they Have washington At cal Before Washington, stanford so that's a look ahead. Situation and they go TO usc a week before the rivalry game AGAINST ucla THAT usc has so, Situationally cal's in a pretty good. Space their corners are really really. Good there are defensive pieces that are really really. GOOD i like them at. Linebacker the big thing to me is in looking at them big picture and how they. Perform AND i think this is a product of the coordinator. SITUATION i was talking to our Pal Yogi, roth and he keeps track of something unique in the way that Like bruce introduced us to his body blow, theory which may or may not mathematically check, out but it's just a. Theory And yogi while the games are going, on he calls games for THE pac twelve. Network hopefully look it. Up it might behind your local cable. Package he keeps track of unforced.
Speaker 1: Errors oh like in.
Speaker 2: Tennis like in, tennis so that's, penalties, drops miscommunications where like a quarterback throws the ball downfield and nobody's there because of the receiver ran a different route than the.
Speaker 3: Fact this isn't just like on the. Fly this is something that he actively keeps track.
Speaker 2: Of he keeps track of it during games that he's calling and then when he's watching, games he marks things down that are just dumb. Mistakes he. Said the two teams that outpaced pretty much everybody last year Were cal In, washington and it's a mark of focus from players and good teaching from. Coaches And cal is one of those teams that despite going five and seven last, year despite losing what going two and seven in The pac, twelve that all of their mistakes or all of their troubles or most of their troubles where as a result of teams just being better Than. Cal, okay BUT i Think Justin wilcox is going to continue recruiting well. Enough they Lose Demetrius robertson this, offseason that their five star wide receiver going back To. GEORGIA i think there are too many questions in terms of playmakers on offense and what they're going to look like upfront on defense for them to really threaten the better teams on their. Schedule BUT i think they can go to A bowl this. YEAR i think they. Can they can win six, games seven, games.
Speaker 1: SOMETHING i agree.
Speaker 2: Interesting So, okay, YEAH i am buying incremental improvements With cal thanks To Yogi roth's unforced error.
Speaker 1: Theory Washington. State.
Speaker 3: Daniel Washington state went nine to. Three they got drilled By Michigan state and The Holiday. Bowl ten starters back this, year WHICH i believe makes them the least experienced team in The pac. Twelve Alex, grinch their mean defensive, coordinator went To Ohio, state and they bring In Tracy, clays former head football coach At, minnesota to be their new defensive. Coordinator, Now Tracy clays is ACTUALLY i think a pretty good. Higher this is a guy, who despite the fact that his run As minnesota coach had some ups and, downs he was a defensive coordinator for like sixteen years before that head coaching. Stint he runs a pretty good defense and he's got a track record for being a very good defensive. Coordinator you don't really worry about the offense With Mike. Leach they'll probably be just fine, there even though there are going to be a lot of new. Faces and you mentioned the quarterback. Position defensively though defensively that's Where wazu made some pretty big strides Under Alex. Grinch now that he's, GONE i am worried about what this means For wazoo and For Mike. Leach here is just sort of a quick glance at what improved Under Alex. Frinch, hey, ma we saw the speed defense last, year remember a speed D they called it course. Unpredictable in twenty, FOURTEEN wazu was one hundred and seventeenth in scoring. Defense the next year that improved to seventy, fourth and twenty sixteen up to. Fiftieth last year hovered right around that fifty. Mark that was so huge For Washington. STATE i Think Tracy clays is a good. HIRE i think he plays a tough branded. Defense he's had defenses that were really stingy in the red zone in the. Past BUT i think unless he can really continue What Alex grinch had, going unless he can improve upon it in a big, way we're probably looking at a year where there are just too many questions For Washington, state where the schedule isn't terrific in that they play AT, usc they're home Against oregon At. STANFORD i think we're probably looking at a step back year.
Speaker 2: HERE i think this might be the end of The Mike leeue. ERA i, believe AND i will disagree with you on one. POINT i am not at all in a place to count on A mike leech, offense whatever that means in twenty eighteen being automatically pretty good because they weren't last year and they were dealing with injury at. Quarterback this was a team led by its, defense and you said they got up to like fiftieth in scoring defense because of their offensive. Struggles that RANK i think misleads how good and dangerous that team. Was it was probably a top thirty defense in the country and just were on the field too much and put into precarious. Situations This Washington state team was super fun on defense last, year led By Hercules, mataafa an absolute. DUDE i don't care where he is in the. World he is an absolute. Dude they were they. Finished these are the, analytics mind, you eleventh in points per drive on offense out of twelve, teams just ahead Of Oregon. State they finish second in points per drive on defense allowed in THE pac, twelve just Behind Washington so that encouraging about the, defense not so super encouraging about the. Offense now they go to probably a grad transfer And Gardner minshew comes over FROM ecu who is brand new to this. System they lose their best running, back they lose their best two offensive linemen including What cody, O'Donnell the Mountain man Who Adam amine called a dude on NATIONAL, tv and defensively losing a couple of big pieces up. FRONT i know they return a lot in the linebacking, corps but the other thing they lose a lot of is. Coaches tie they lost like eight. ASSISTANTS i think this is a season in which there are just too many leaks to plug For Washington. State AND i think everybody In pullman is getting to the point eventually that were Like Mike leach may have worn out is welcome a little bit and it's just you, know he has not a, ceiling but an expiration, date AND i think we've gotten a little bit close to that In, pullman AND i think it's going to show this. YEAR i think the bottom falls, out.
Speaker 1: AND i hope it.
Speaker 2: DOESN'T i Hope Washington state's fun and gets to the point where they're competing for the division once again like they were last. Year but it's it's too many. Leaks, Yeah i'm going to, SAY i don't think they're making a bowl. GAME i think it's like a four and eight year with a dissent. State i'm with, you.
Speaker 3: And that brings us then To Oregon. State, Yeah Oregon state went one and. Eleven they've got a new, Coach Jonathan, smith who was the Former washington offensive. Coordinator fifteen starters back from a year, ago, which you, KNOW i don't know what that really means on a team that went one and, eleven but it's. Something and the only other point, here while there's never really a great schedule for a team that went one and, eleven, yeah playing At Ohio state in week one is sort of cruel and unusual. Punishment, yeah, FAIR i guess they have to. Improve maybe they will. Improve they one will.
Speaker 2: Improve they Have Ohio state that's gonna be a nail bier as to If Ohio. State as to the, Point, yeah they're gonna Beat Southern, utah there's a good shot of Beating. Nevada nevada is not in a great place right. Now arizona's gonna be. Tough Arizona state on the road is gonna be. Tough, wazoo we'll see that's at. Home colorado on the. Road i'm not super happy About. Colorado they had a weird situation With stanford last, year the weird close game they closed with a pretty Difficult NOVEMBER Usc Stanford, Washington sanford And washington on the, road and then The Civil war is at home In. Corvallis but That colorado game on the road is After Colorado. Washington The Washington state game is After Wazoo. Utah they Have arizona a week After ARIZONA. Usc so if you are just if you're combing through the, Possibilities i'm gonna Say Oregon state goes three and. Nine, OKAY i don't love, much but there is a. Sign, WELL i, Like i'm a big believer in. Signs what is the first name of the probable starting? Quarterback If Connor, blunt the freshman does not win the, job is It? Jake it Is Jake. Tye and to bring everything full. Circle if you can't believe in A, jake what can you? Believe what can you believe?
Speaker 1: In Tie Pacific? Northwest jake Forrest Pacific.
Speaker 2: Northwest The Jake forest extends to central Western. Oregon so three and Nine Oregon state will incrementally. Improve they Hired wisconsin's outside linebackers COACH i believe to run the. Defense so The Oregon State Wisconsin Gary Anderson thread has stretched a little. Farther it's gonna be a tough. Year BUT i would IF i were An Oregon state, FAN i would hope for What cal look like near the, end even with this terrible schedule at the, end for the for The, beaves just that they're show and, fight just that they look, organized just that they're playing discipline football and go three and, nine and then hope for good enough recruiting year over year that they become a bull. Threat that to me is a huge. Success it's going to. Take it's gonna be a journey. Tie you got to get some snacks if you're if you're on this road For Oregon, state it's gonna be a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, alrighty there you. Go that is YOUR pac Twelve. North i'm Gonna i'm gonna go to and. Ten, okay but so winning more than one a better?
Speaker 1: Too and?
Speaker 2: Ten, yeah, yeah all right. Quickly, yes The Mountain West Mountain division talk to, me is probably the more fun. Division, yes of the two divisions in The Mountain. West AND i do Like San Diego, state But Boise state's gonna be, great should be the best group of five.
Speaker 1: Team.
Speaker 2: Yep Brett rippon back once. Again Madison. AVENUE i forget what you wanted to call. That For Alexander madison should be a very good running. Back their, defense even Without leyton vander esh should be lights. Out this is nothing, New this is nothing.
Speaker 1: EXCITING i THINK i wanted to go Mad dog or. Something, Oh Matt. Dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah the other thing is we mentioned kJ Cardi samuels on OUR i believe sec. SHOW i want to Say arkansas Has Colorado. State Colorado state will be starting kJ Cardi, samuels The washington, transfer and The rams don't have much of a, Defense so shootout city For Colorado. State New mexico's going away from the option Because Georgia southern hired their coordinator and they're going With calvin, McGee who has been At, Arizona so they're going to be running sort of spreadish stuff that they've kind of succeeded with. Recently, wyoming because you're hearing a lot of offense, Talk wyoming has a great defense and they return basically all of. It Carl granderson super, Fun their safeties are. Great wyoming could have a year in which whoever starts a quarterback BECAUSE i do not have his name in front of, me whoever ends up starting a. Quarterback if he, succeeds people are going to suddenly say things, like, huh Guess Josh allen was not as big of a deal as we perhaps. Thought you're talking About Tyler. Vanderwall that sounds, Right, YEAH i. AM i am excited For wyoming's. Defense they play teams, tough AND i like their. Coach his head looks like the inside of The. Oregon, oh The, Mountain West mountain will be pretty. Good Utah, state there's not a ton there THAT i. Love New. Mexico we mentioned Air. Force they just if they're going to, succeed if they're going to be a team that threatens eight or nine, wins they need to be able to complete sixty percent of their. Passes and it's you, know Like Troy. CALHOUN i JUST i don't see this team having the offense to get to that point because, defensively they're nowhere near. It all, right that's it until we talk About CONFERENCE, usa.
Speaker 1: Until we talk About CONFERENCE. Usa, yes the best for last, Indeed so, okay Is washington gonna go to the?
Speaker 2: Playoff they're the best team in the back, Twelve BUT i don't think they're going to the. Playoff, OKAY i think unless they go undefeated or, lose if they lose To auburn thirty to twenty, seven, seventeen fourteen and, over you, know something crazy and close and, impressive and then just smoke the rest of their, schedule go finish out eleven and h probably to the. Playoff but short of something like, that it's it's tough for me to see them going at ten and.
Speaker 3: Two, well right on in, yeah at solid verbal at gmail dot, com m, hm and let us know your thoughts on the coming. Season we are working up to a show at some point here before we actually start Previewing week one games WHERE i Suppose dan AND i were gonna have to give some some level of predictions for the coming. Playoffs, yeah we're gonna have to do. It we don't like too.
Speaker 2: Much why why we're gonna have to do. It let's just give our top four about everything else.
Speaker 3: The fans, Demanded, Dan we're gonna have to do. It we JUST i just see it that we got to tweet about who our.
Speaker 2: Four playoff teams. Are, yeah people love for playoff.
Speaker 3: Teams so we'll talk about that at some point in the. Future but we got a couple of shows here now coming up THAT i think people are gonna be very excited. About we've got The Fantasy things, show which is going to drop here in the coming. Days we're also doing our best to bring in A q AND a.
Speaker 1: Episode before the start of the. Year.
Speaker 3: Yep and then before you know it will be at a point in time where it's time to actually start looking At week one.
Speaker 1: Games.
Speaker 2: Tie pix of The, week that kind of thing people have?
Speaker 3: It we?
Speaker 1: Give did we? Give by the, way did we GIVE pac Twelve? North?
Speaker 2: Dudes?
Speaker 1: UH i don't? Know can we?
Speaker 2: Can we just have a dude off with The pac Twelve. North let's do, it all, right pick a, dude you can. START i give you first, Dude.
Speaker 3: My Dude, dan just BECAUSE i feel guilty about the fact that Maybe i've panned over.
Speaker 1: Him let's See Bryce love.
Speaker 2: What THE whoa an obvious, one But i'm going double, defense, dude triple D first, One Taylor rap say.
Speaker 1: People, Washington, okay.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable nose for the. Ball couldn't keep him off the field as a. Freshman second, One Jalen jelks on the. Defensive, yeah double defensive.
Speaker 1: Dude that's ALL i.
Speaker 3: Got all, right fun stuff for those people who have written in asking about the upcoming pick a.
Speaker 1: Pool stay, tuned mm, hmm stay. Tuned CAN i give?
Speaker 2: It CAN i Give Dan's tip of the, day, Please, ty you ever get down on your, computer you get down to, uh like four gigs, left and your computer's, like, oh you run out of, space make room or you want to just close this. Window And i'll go in And i'll Say i'm gonna make some. Room i'm gonna delete like the garage band. Loops that'll open up some. Space i'm gonna delete my wedding.
Speaker 1: Video do.
Speaker 2: That it did not do, that but like, you they organize things for, you, Right and it just kept, happening and it was, like, oh you only got three gigs, left you only got six gigs. Left AND i turned to you because you're a you're a tech, guy a bit of a tech.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah and then at one point TODAY i just restarted my computer AND i was, like maybe this will. Help it went from like three gigs to forty. Gigs So i'm going to take the advice THAT i give to my middle age to old, parents AND i learned something very valuable. Today, ty restart your computer every. Once did you know? This, yeah oh my, GOD i.
Speaker 3: Don't know about thirty seven gigabytes worth of thirty seven gigs free space coming as part of that, restart but SURE i.
Speaker 2: Did not say. THAT i also learned not to drink water like within two hours of going to bed this.
Speaker 1: Week who? Knew, Well, daniel this has been.
Speaker 3: Fun thank you for imparting some of your Packed north wisdom upon.
Speaker 2: Us this is mostly for like our sixty eight year old listeners at the end of the show tips all, right well for.
Speaker 3: That guy over, There Dan, rubinstein for, Myself Tie. Hildebrand thanks for bearing with us here as we went through all of the, conferences all The power five. Conferences still got one to, go of, course but thank you for listening with, us for sending in your, comments your. Suggestions we are very excited for the season, ahead and there's gonna be a lot of fun content coming your. Way we will continue dropping shows Every wednesday And sunday mm. Hmm but until our next, show stay, solid, peace