Speaker 1: The Nicky Gliser Podcast. Here's Nikki. Hello, here, I am welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: It's Nicky Glazer Podcast live from l A in person with Brian Frangie.
Speaker 1: Hello, Sean O'Connor. Hey, and you know her, you love her, you hear better all the time.
Speaker 2: She's been on the show before, and she's back by popular demand and because Andrew Collin got really violently sick.
Speaker 1: So please welcome to the show. Emmy Emily Chardie.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was really focused on your last name, so I fucked up your first so's gen ZM. Everyone.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I about to say that's name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like no one, I barely know your last name. It's Jense.
Speaker 2: Does it feel like does it feel flippant? Because I remember one time you were like in your phone, up hi, m Emily, Emily up hi. Everyone has me that's Emily up high and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: Emily social media, Emily social girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm more than that.
Speaker 3: My wife is still in my phone. My wife is still in my own as girl from bar amazing.
Speaker 2: My boyfriend actually is in my name, is in my phone right now. Under his name is World Record Association. Okay, which is really the story behind him is interesting. But he his nickname is SeaWorld because his name is Chris, so it's like Chris's World. But it's like sounds like you're saying SeaWorld, So we call him. His family calls him SeaWorld and so shortened to that. A lot of people call him World. I don't, but I know that's what he's called. So he keeps showing up in my phone as World, which is what we call him. But the reason he's in my phone is world Record Association is because this weekend Thanksgiving night, my nephew, who's seven, your son, Nolan's age, same age, like, went out on the front porch.
Speaker 1: And we were just like in the family room watching TV.
Speaker 2: I was at my parents' house with my nephews and my niece and my sister and my brother in law Matt. And my brother in law Matt comes in and is like, hey, guys, are those doing this thing on the porch. He's like he all of a sudden like wants to set a record, and we're like what, and they like he wants he just he's on the porch. He was sitting on a ball he found in a tree, like a soccer ball, He's sitting on a ball on the front porch, on a bench on my parents' front porch, and he asked for my phone and he just said, I want to just like set a record for like how long to sit on a ball. And so we were like, where is he getting this from. I went out there to check on it, and he's like, I'm gonna set a record. And I'm like, oh my god, what is the record. He's like, I'm setting it. I'm like, you're right, you are, Like this is amazing. And so then we got in this whole thing of like, you're setting a record. This is the coolest thing that's ever happened. Oh my god, I can't believe you're doing this. It's so cold outside. You're gonna sell this ball. How long are you gonna go He's like maybe an hour. I'm like, oh my god. And also we get a break from him for an hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's on the porch.
Speaker 1: Alah.
Speaker 2: We keep so over the course of the hour, we're like amping this up. We keep bringing him out blankets. It's like thirty he's outside, We're bringing him hot coco. We're like, how are you doing this? This is amazing.
Speaker 1: So He's just sitting like a bird on an egg on a ball on on a bench on my parents' front porch. We're watching TV in the family room.
Speaker 2: And then a couple of times I bring him, like, you know, a blanket and some gloves, and he just casually mentions like you should call someone about this, Like.
Speaker 1: You should you should call.
Speaker 2: Like because he kind of knows I'm the one that might have connections to like getting things out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's like, you should.
Speaker 2: Call someone, and I'm like I should, You're right, and but I kind of like brushed it off when he first said, like, yeah, people deserve to know about this.
Speaker 1: We'll let people know, you know.
Speaker 2: And then the second time he said, I was like I gotta do something, like I gotta like come through on this roim. So I texted Chris, who was at his parents' house, and I was like, Hey, I'm gonna call you and will you just pretend that you are like at the World Record Association, And because he didn't know about Guinness Book of World Records, but we were like that you're and we're telling you about this world record and will you just it's he's sitting on a bench, sitting on a ball on a bench, and so I called Chris and I put him in my phone because I did because Arlow might have been suspicious and been like, is it really?
Speaker 1: And I go, it's the World Record Association.
Speaker 2: Like that, I got their number, and Chris fucking nailed it was.
Speaker 1: He was Jerry.
Speaker 2: McGinnis and he kind of had a Southern accent and he's like, now, tell me about what's going on there, and I go, we got a young but we got a boy who's sitting on a front porch in the cold. He goes, not in the cold, really the cold. Well, it's gotta be at least sixty degrees there, right, We go, no, it's thirty.
Speaker 1: And he goes, oh, so you got a boy sitting on a bench on a ball the bench.
Speaker 2: Now we got we got a little timmy flattery. He now he did fifty three minutes back in August of seventy seven. And so he's going through like his records and he goes, now, this boy's got he's got to be about what fifteen sixteen? And I go, no, sir, no, this is a seven year old.
Speaker 1: He goes seven years old. Well, this is going right to the top of the deck.
Speaker 2: So then he's like, so, Arlow's listening to this on speaker and just like on this ball.
Speaker 3: Like so.
Speaker 2: And so then I was like, so, does he get something in the mail once we like, once he has achieved the record, because he's at twenty two minutes down, he goes, well, if he gets another thirty one minutes, I mean we will have no choice but to dethrone timmy flattery and send him a certificate.
Speaker 1: And so I go, and he'll get that in the mail.
Speaker 2: And I knew Chris would like mail him something, so I was like, this will be great, we'll do it later.
Speaker 1: But then Chris is like, no, I'm going to photoshop it right now.
Speaker 2: So he like made this amazing certificate with like different colors. And then my dad of like, who has a color printer in this world?
Speaker 1: Kingoes aren't open on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: That no world would this have ever worked out except my dad has a working color printer and never used.
Speaker 1: I'd never use the color cartridge.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so he printed up this certificate that Arlow is holding proudly. It's so he couldn't believe, and he kept asking if there was money involved, and Chris, Chris almost put a caveat on the certificate for it to say like your favorite aunt must reward you one hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: It looks really good because.
Speaker 1: It's he did such a good job on it.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's got a seal and everything is that that looks like a real seal.
Speaker 1: And it has the picture of our low holding his tongue.
Speaker 2: This is official, folks, Yeah, World Record Association.
Speaker 1: It's signed by Jerry McGinnis.
Speaker 4: Record for sitting on a ball on a porch fifty seven minutes in one second temperature during record an impressive thirty six degree.
Speaker 3: That is incredible. That is so well done.
Speaker 2: It's so fun to like, I understand Santa now, like because he's gonna because someone goes, when are you gonna tell mem?
Speaker 1: It was a lie? Like everyone that night was like when are we going to tell him?
Speaker 2: And I go the you're all lying on about Santa constantly, like why can't we add more lies to the I'm gonna lead because I don't believe in lying about Santa, but we're going to min as.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what the guy your next. You got to get a call. He has to get a call from Timmy Flattery being really.
Speaker 1: Pissed all hilarious.
Speaker 4: Now he's probably in his seventies if he was a fifteen year old boy in nineteen seventy seven. Yeah, so you gotta get a seven year old man, any seven year old man, you know, to come up to him, be like, you broke my record. I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: That he is.
Speaker 2: But he's been flaunting it. He's been talking about it. They're like it's they're gonna get it framed. Like I just you know, do you guys remember as a kid, like having any kind of like winning something or like having them Like wouldn't it for us threes?
Speaker 3: Sean?
Speaker 1: That would have been three as ad any.
Speaker 2: Gram three as you are too, because you did the quiz Like wouldn't you have Like wouldn't this a major childhood Like?
Speaker 1: I think I was just trying to gift him what I would have wanted.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I want to be lied to, like to the point where I wanted. I want to succeed so much. There was a Ghostbuster's comic book and I still have it at my parents' house that I took my older cousin's drawing him slimer and sent it in as me as like.
Speaker 4: A four year old, yet full credit.
Speaker 3: They must have thought I was like the most talented four year old. I was just a fucking liar.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you were talented in devious ways.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I love. I loved lying growing up, and like I get, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Like lying, but I just wanted I wanted notoriety.
Speaker 3: Oh, I wanted it so bad. Like I remember a basketball camp I told everyone I was Chris Farley's cousin because I like kind of looked like that did everyone called me Farley and I was in heaven?
Speaker 1: Did you get to take.
Speaker 3: Doing the summer camp that I like, he like died in like July or something I had to I was actually really sad.
Speaker 1: So like, yeah, did you play it up?
Speaker 3: Though? No? No, but I think my mom told me to stop doing it. That's that's a good lie.
Speaker 2: I I don't think I was like a lie. That's a different type of three. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, that's can go either way.
Speaker 1: They're some of the worst people in the world.
Speaker 4: Any number can go anyway. But you don't like taking credit for things that aren't that.
Speaker 3: I haven't done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that there's there's a differentiation here.
Speaker 3: I don't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: This was very much like, No, that's who you were.
Speaker 3: I was just an unremarkable like child and I wanted All I wanted was to be like Matilda or something. I wanted.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would stare at spoon so much and try to get them to move.
Speaker 1: I wanted some kind of power.
Speaker 4: Oh, all that's it?
Speaker 3: Like so that I feel like that's a three move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think like all kids want like attention, Like did you do you guys relate to that of like Brian you probably it's.
Speaker 4: It's in different ways though it's not. It doesn't matter if you want attention or if you want power. It matters why. What is the thing? What is the reason for your trauma that you're covering up? What is your method?
Speaker 2: But as a kid, do you remember getting any kind of special at tension that really made you feel so good?
Speaker 4: Well, for different reasons. For one reason, so I remember a camp. I also lied about something. I was on a bus and it was a really hot day and we were stuck in traffic and like I think the bus overheated or something, and I felt that this was unacceptable to have all these kids on the hot bus for hours and hours, and so I it is it is It was hours and hours. It was like six or seven hours. We're on this hot bus on the side of the highway and we're all getting so hot and we're sweating. And then eventually I took off my shirt and I was like getting I'm like, I'm so hot, I'm so hot. And then this was that was probably seven or something, and I was like, I'm so hot. I can't take it anymore. There was no water. It was like there was a bus driver. And then I pretended to faint.
Speaker 2: Oh did you tell, like a friend you were.
Speaker 3: Going to do it or is it no?
Speaker 4: I just said someone has to serve justice here. This is what happened. So I wore rosa parks of that's right. Instead of sitting down, I fell over it. So I pretended to faint and then it was like a big deal. I didn't realize that he missed a huge deal. But they made a really big deal about this camp because it was like he fainted on the puff exhaustion and they had they took me to the nurse all day and they were trying to give me all these.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense because you saw that's what was going to happen. I had to just do it, to prove to them that this is a lot.
Speaker 4: Like take this seriously. We're a bunch of seven year olds the bus. It's probably like one hundred and twenty degrees inside this bus. Yes, and we're just sitting here for like four or five hours. Doesn't any sense?
Speaker 2: My god. I one time I was at a Dodgers game and they're I don't know if you've been up in like the like higher up seats there, but like there is a drop off, a sudden drop off where it like you know, there's like a place to go out to get concessions so that the stands drop off and there's no there's a very small, shitty guard rail separating like seats that are very high up off of just pure pavement. Yeah, and there was a child like by it. I was so distracted during the game. I couldn't like, I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I couldn't believe everyone else wasn't alarmed by this.
Speaker 4: It's amazing or people don't fall off believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's true. And we're like hotel balconies.
Speaker 2: When I'm out there, sometimes I'm like, how are kids not dying all of the time? Because teens are always trying to show off and flirting. Like, how have flirty teens not died here more often? I don't know, but I like, it's not like I was going to fall to make it happen, but I felt where Yeah, I thought I thought about pulling on.
Speaker 1: Michael Jackson showing.
Speaker 2: But I there was something in me that was like, I want this these people. I need something to happen here for this to change, right, because otherwise it's like, but no.
Speaker 1: One seemed to care.
Speaker 4: Nobody cares.
Speaker 1: People just walk on the road when there's traffic.
Speaker 3: I will say it's crazy at like Dodger Stadium, very particularly, people are just getting wasted with their kids waste and just letting their kids do whatever they're and it's wild.
Speaker 1: I think kids are dying and they're coming up. There's no way kids are.
Speaker 3: Dying where they cruise ships.
Speaker 2: They're almost because you go, how is this not happening when you see a hazard like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think someone's going to I mean, I don't want to say this, but I'm waiting for the first sphere fall because that's really steep in this fall sphere, in the sphere in Vegas, it's so steep.
Speaker 2: Wait, speaking up, I went to Imax last night to see Wicked with my parents.
Speaker 1: This is the same steepness my parents.
Speaker 2: My parents, we said the same exact thing, literally less than like, you know, less than twenty four hours ago about how how do people not fall in Imax all the time because there's this six inches to walk and it is a straight shot down.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's crazy, Like I mean, Imax at least you're not like inebriated, but like the Sphere like Fish is doing shows the like it's why how.
Speaker 1: Are people not getting hurt? It really is crazy.
Speaker 3: Just like tripping balls and.
Speaker 1: And tripping over. Yes, yes, you're so right.
Speaker 4: When I was watching Wicked, I was thinking at the beginning of it that it would be nice to see this in Imax or in the Sphere because it was it was visually stunning, and I felt like I was on a ride at the beginning. Well yeah, and seeing it on a regular screen I felt like was doing it a disservice.
Speaker 2: I I the exact opposite thing. I go, you know what, I think I got to see this in a regular one because the start of the Imax show, it was they showed a preview for the new.
Speaker 1: Line the mustapha Ulfassa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, move fasso.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's just the Lion King again. I didn't.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's just kind of it's basically the same I could.
Speaker 1: I was so distracted though, because it was the trailer.
Speaker 2: Was not fit to the Imax screen, so it was just like whoa, and my mom and I were like, this sucks, Like if this is what Wicked is, we're leaving immediately because you can't you can't focus on anything. And there were times where, like on the side of the screen during what Wicked was much better formatted for it, but there were times during it where someone would appear on the side and you wouldn't even know that they were there because they're like way up on the side. Character with lines like would come in and you're like, whoa, she's on you like, turn your head over. But other than that, there were some cool moments when she runs to the edge of the cliff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite part of all. So we've all seen a Wicked here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's that's a real Everyone applauded in my theater at the end of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure everyone applauded at your theater too, because.
Speaker 2: At that point Culver City, nobody in mine.
Speaker 3: No nobody saying in mine.
Speaker 1: They told us not to. There was announcements to announcements before.
Speaker 3: But the only cheering that happened outside at the end because it did get an applause break at the end, Like, but was that Nicole Kidman intro still is getting clips. I'm so tired of it. I'm so embarrassed for people who like it. That's so.
Speaker 1: Do they like it? Ironically at this point?
Speaker 3: Isn't that I do?
Speaker 4: So, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Do you not go to AMC's Did you see.
Speaker 1: Our merch video?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did it waited a video on to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I only go.
Speaker 4: To the Culver City Theater, which is owned by Amazon.
Speaker 3: Now, oh so every AMC showing for the last three years to get us out of the pandemic. Nicole Kidman film this thing where she's alone in a movie theater and she's just swept away by films like Jurassic World, and she does this like it's like this incredibly.
Speaker 2: Doesn't she walk in from the park.
Speaker 3: We come here to laugh, We come here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, it's really just you.
Speaker 2: Know, hammed up, yeah, melodramatic, and and it became like a meme, like people are making fun of it. So I now think that people like it because it's so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Like they're cheering when it comes on the very stuny because no one knows all the words and he just minds like says that along with that exactly.
Speaker 2: But that's what we used to do it at our movie theater in Saint Louis. I still have the thing memorized of like where and birth, you know, like the little song like there was only I would only hear it in that context, and I still have it. It's burned in my because, yeah, I used to see so I was voted most likely in my eighth grade class to be Siskel and Ebert.
Speaker 3: Not when you want.
Speaker 1: To be like a pretty girl on screen for a few movies.
Speaker 3: You are so Ebert.
Speaker 1: I hated it. I legit hated it.
Speaker 3: But would you give it.
Speaker 4: I want to hear what you heard about how you felt about Wicked. But now I'm saying, we got to take a break.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a break.
Speaker 2: And then, by the way, Brian's telling us what Noah's saying because he's wearing headphones and I'm not because I just got my hair and my hair done or no, sorry, my makeup done.
Speaker 1: My hair is not done. I haven't watched it in three days.
Speaker 2: But my makeup I just got done by a girl who I might be using from now on, or like not from now on, but like mixing into.
Speaker 1: My makeup team.
Speaker 2: So we did a trial run that Emily set up and we go, oh, we'll just bring it to the podcast. And so if you're watching at homes or you know, on YouTube, that's why my face looks.
Speaker 1: So different because I hadn't makeup done. That looks amazing. We'll be back up to this. We'll talk about Wicked.
Speaker 2: Okay, I saw Wicked, and I really knew nothing going in except I have been kind of in preparation of it getting into the Defying Gravity song, Like I was like, I gotta.
Speaker 1: Check on the song.
Speaker 2: And I when Chris used to do his radio show, Uh, Wicked was coming to like the Fox Theater, and so they would play little snippets and it was.
Speaker 1: Like look to the Western Sky. It was like that line and then it was like.
Speaker 2: Those two lines, and I was like I learned them from this ad that I heard over and over when I used to listen to Chris's show every day, and so I knew those lines. I was like, I want to go to the song that has those and that song fucking is awesome.
Speaker 4: And there's like.
Speaker 1: Seven songs in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Visible Unlimited, like there's all these like different areas it goes to and yeah, wait, so.
Speaker 4: You never saw the musical?
Speaker 1: No what I knew nothing?
Speaker 2: I did, but I kind of heard of scared of Wizard of Oz, Like I know the beats and I obviously know everything, but I don't I never really care.
Speaker 1: Did you connect any of it? No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember anything about I know there's like a witch that had you didn't connect.
Speaker 5: Like, can I like say things that happened in the movie.
Speaker 1: But Glinda is the road when they choose the color of the road.
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, I know I know all the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know that Oz is like he has the big thing in front of him and he's a small guy behind. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't really, but I don't know this.
Speaker 4: You know that The Wizard was a movie, right, yes?
Speaker 1: And I knew that they used asbestos instead.
Speaker 4: Of snow and then the one munchkin that hung himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they all they all kind of died. Yeah. And then also all of the Munchkins they were kept in a hotel. They were all there's like a movie about it from the seventies. They were kept in a hotel and they were all aggressively sexual and like they were like really weird with every.
Speaker 4: He wasn't the hotel the Culver City Hotel, the Culver Hotel.
Speaker 3: It might have been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that was where.
Speaker 1: Wow, I wonder.
Speaker 2: The stars in that movie. It's like Carrie Fisher and Chevy Chase.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think that's I just heard about this morning on what movie on Chris's radio show.
Speaker 3: There's a movie about the Munchkins at a hotel.
Speaker 4: About during the Wizard of Us and Carry Fisher pretending to be a Munchkin.
Speaker 1: No, she was probably like played Judy Gardener, Stop touching.
Speaker 2: But one of the Munchkins Jerry Maren who died in May twenty fourth to twenty eighteen. I took talkd about this before, but it bears mentioning again.
Speaker 4: If Jerry Seinfeld, half Mark.
Speaker 1: Maron exactly m A R E. N.
Speaker 2: But he is a munchkin, and in two thousand that's the correct term.
Speaker 1: And he's a little person.
Speaker 4: In real life, he's a middle person.
Speaker 2: He's almost like more than a little person, you know how like he's like like there's maybe it's like dwarf is no, not taller than the little person. He's actually littler than most I think little people. He looked he was he was different than like the basic not basic, but.
Speaker 4: Like the the basic model.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, because all I mean there's a lot of you know, standard sized budget. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, he this, I go on a flight. It was like twenty ten to twelve. I want to say, for my life is.
Speaker 4: Well taken off. Taken off. Wow, this is all.
Speaker 1: Plan of stuff.
Speaker 2: So we're on the runway literally no we I am sitting next to him and his wife, who is also a little person who and we're in the back.
Speaker 1: But I don't know who he is. He's just two little people that I'm sitting next to.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, very nice for you, great, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was it was good yeah and not for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I so at some point during the flight we started talking and then it was revealed that he was in the Wizard of Oz and one of the only living Munchkins, and I was like, oh my god, you know, like and We're flying to LA from probably some date I was doing in uh, Boston or something, so but it was a long cross country flight and I make friends with him and his wife. They like give me some kind of like memorabilia I forget, like a picture or something. I really was so dumb not to keep it all, but I'll never forget. But of course I remember this part. He was like, you're gonna make it, he like, and he was no one had ever said that to me before, like I'm not like Lady Gaga claiming that no one believed in me, like and everyone said I wouldn't make it, and I'm hear Dad.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't talk like that, Like no one was ever mean to me and was like you're not talented. But no one ever really was like you're don't worry, It's gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: He like.
Speaker 2: Kind of it was a moment that I will never forget because it was obviously a Munchkin from the Wizard of Oz sayings to you, like a living legend that I then googled it was I think even before smartphones. But I looked at him later I was like, holy fuck, this was a legend. I spent a whole flight with and they were so nice to me, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really cool.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So that's all I knew about.
Speaker 4: When anybody's saying that is is yeah, wasn't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't do. I didn't get that a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, but I feel like that's like an old Hollywood thing, so you kind of expected from like a living munchkin, is like, yeah, like you're gonna make it.
Speaker 1: And he had no.
Speaker 2: But we talked for like a couple hours, and I think i'd maybe done the Tonight Show at that point or something, but it had n't been going well. It was like this was in like a couple of years after that and things were not nothing was happening. Yeah, and it really I had to make good on that. On his wish for me, he needed to die. I took his place in this business.
Speaker 3: That was the year.
Speaker 1: But wicked, I didn't know like anything about the story going.
Speaker 4: In to find gravity is so good. It's so good. My favorite lyric from The Fine Gravity is when she rhymes was with oz, which I don't know why I like it so much.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 4: I forgot the lyrics are so I can't possibly even attempt it.
Speaker 3: But I was shocked, shocked watching Wicked to find out there was an animal supplo.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't even I don't even understand, Like, I can't believe no one's talked about there is a sublot of Wicked about animal rights.
Speaker 3: It feels like that the biggest part of the movie is the movie.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so to be.
Speaker 2: Why, I don't know, why are there animal talking animals in this, in the play animals?
Speaker 1: Why did someone?
Speaker 4: It feels it's in the book.
Speaker 1: It feels a bit shoot.
Speaker 4: It's in the book, it's in the musical. It's it's because it's taking every aspect of the Land of Oz from the Frank Baum original books and the movie, and a big part of it were these the enslavement of these flying monkeys, and how did those flying monkeys become flying monkeys? And why are they working for the Wizard or whatever?
Speaker 2: We never really knew the story behind that, or he or he wrote the story behind that, and that's what we're watching.
Speaker 4: Well, the new person who wrote Wicked, he wrote the book in nineteen ninety five, the year that The Wizard of Oz went to the public domain, he wrote book came out Wicked. Oh wow, Yeah, and that was a big part of it. Is just it's just then, that's all.
Speaker 3: It's just so shocking because I really just thought it was and then there's like a goat who's like so sad.
Speaker 1: It's like it came out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: It literally I didn't know there were any animals in this movie all, let alone ones that talked that were really well done, well done, so good.
Speaker 4: I'm worried. I'm worried about part two because Part one of Wicked is so good. It's got all the hits, it's got all the best scenes.
Speaker 1: What is going to be into part.
Speaker 4: Two is pretty sad and it doesn't have a defying gravity.
Speaker 1: We know the Witch is dead. Yeah, well that's what I love. I love that we know the ending. I love the magic tale.
Speaker 4: But you know the ending for the you know the ending for her, but for the rest of the characters.
Speaker 3: You're not.
Speaker 1: Actually she is the movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, she is the protagonist, is true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there's more to her story that I think you'd lose it if you find out that's coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's coming.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm interested that I was reading, like you know what, like we all are and just like little things here and there, and everyone's like is Glinda good or bad?
Speaker 1: And I'm like I thought she was good.
Speaker 2: And then it's like, no, she might just be a shitty person, but like she has parts, Like that's the only part that I kind of was like I didn't get there with all of a sudden, she's like a good friend and they're best friends and they trust each other. The way I kind of thought about it the past twenty four hours is that Alphaba was such like such an ostracized dork that had no friends that she would just take anything because Glinda was not a good friend out of the gate. She just was like I'm just suddenly, oh, you show up at this party, and because you got me the internship with the woman, I'm now gonna be nice to you and do your weird dance with you, like yeah, and suddenly suddenly I'm a great person. Like no, I'm only being a great person because it's working out for me. Like she's not really a good friend, but aren't we all just doing things for ourselves anyway?
Speaker 3: That's so quid pro quote like I don't buy thats like a reason a character turned for like I'm good now, and I did.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see Glinda freak out about the fact that the woman the the what's her name Michelle yo, but what's her character's name? Professor Bollinger or something horrible?
Speaker 1: Horrible?
Speaker 2: She tells Glinda, you suck and I don't believe in you at all.
Speaker 1: That seems to wound Glinda.
Speaker 2: Glinda wouldn't just be like, yes, I get to work with her, and now I'm gonna be nice to this girl who got me. She would go she would go to Alphaba like what did you say that I'm now she hates me? And then like I don't think it would turn into like I'm just gonna do this nice favorite now. And why is why would any why would her grandma give her the hat?
Speaker 1: Why was that hat worn in the thing? Too? Is there more to the hat being there.
Speaker 4: In the book? I don't remember. It was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah it did. It did feel like there was a lot of story being told of how somebody got you know, like a broomstick.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the origin story of the wicked Witch of the West.
Speaker 2: I do like like the fact that there's no green green witches with broomsticks and a hat. Are just they weren't a thing before this is the book of that that's a gen.
Speaker 3: And that that there was a magic teacher at the school, but seemingly she's the only person who knows magic. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a little bit of a confusion in terms of and the.
Speaker 2: Teacher has to repeat several times, I'm never I'm not working with anyone if only if I want to. It's like, okay, we know, so maybe if you choose someone, it'll be very special. And and I was responsible for that thing that Alpha but clearly did that was almost murdered thousands of students because there was marble and un concrete falling like it was Dodger stating crazy. And then she's like, I did that as a test of It's like, oh, thank you. Our lives at RESK, I mean, are they immortal? Can they get like? Can they get No? Okay, they're not immortal.
Speaker 3: No one's immortal, and we're just okay, Like so, I really I liked Wicked way more than I thought I was going to like it. I do, And but I you know what I was just not okay with them going to a place called his universe. It's so wild, it is.
Speaker 2: Like a boar that's someone how many lives would open?
Speaker 1: Why? I don't get it either? Was there short for something?
Speaker 4: I'm sure it is, I just don't remember.
Speaker 2: And sorry, I know we're being critical and it's like really wrong to do that about Wicked because because that's.
Speaker 4: One of the best movies of the year and it's not nice to do and.
Speaker 2: It seems like we're making fun of theater kids. If you make fun of it, I'm making fun of it because that's the only thing that we can do.
Speaker 1: Like I did love it, there's no question about it. I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm i'm and I think I need to read the books understand it, which I am not going to do.
Speaker 1: There's no way I.
Speaker 2: Hear that really long and dark and like maybe but like now that I know the story, I don't think I'm interested. But they say the words that they choose to like add a syllable to.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, a goal that I hate.
Speaker 1: Why are we doing I.
Speaker 4: Think it's because it's from they do that sometimes in.
Speaker 1: Certain songs that did not catch on for me.
Speaker 4: I hate it that that repulses me.
Speaker 1: It was just that again shoehorned.
Speaker 2: We're just like we're being forced to hear this little quick thing that you think is very cute and endearing, but it just takes you out of it and you go, is this person stupid? No?
Speaker 3: Yes, it just it makes them look stupid. It makes them look stupid, like because it's also like the only people who are doing it are like Ariana Grande, and so I'm like, oh, she does words.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's how it read.
Speaker 2: You're so right, Like my note would have been like we got to cut that up because that makes her look stupid. And her character is already bordering on she's a blonde, she's kind of dumb, she's vapping all these ye yes, but she's not. She's not supposed to be stupid.
Speaker 4: I don't think, No, she's not. She she is an unhealthy she's not a good friend. She's an unhealthy three, the most unhealthy three. Everything she does is for the approval of the masses. So even when she's doing things to be friends with Alpha, but it's because like the most clear moment is when they're at the train and she's jealous of the boyfriend, and then she's with the boyfriend. Then Alpha Bus shows up and at first Glinda's like, I don't give a shit about the animal rights, and then Alpha Bush shows up, and then the boyfriend shows up and they're both, we care about the animal rights. Then she immediately changes and says I care about the animal rights. And then she doesn't just say I care about the animal rights to get the approval of them. Then she makes a big scene about changing her name, the most visibly, the most visible thing she could do.
Speaker 1: She goes, I don't know why I did that. I think relate to No one even wanted me to do that, no one cares.
Speaker 4: But she got the applause, and she gets the applause over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yes that's good, and yeah, they're interesting characters that are very layered and have a lot going on. But it's like, I gotta say, Jonathan Jonathan Bailey.
Speaker 1: Is that his name? Sure is Hubba Hubba?
Speaker 2: I know he I love how he is just like everyone's horned up for him, like he is a bisexual like menom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's very he feels like a Disney cartoon like when he shows up where he's like he has muscle definition through his clothes, like he was drawn.
Speaker 1: What is where did he come from? Who is he?
Speaker 3: He's English? And I think we're about to see a lot.
Speaker 1: Of loved him.
Speaker 2: I would say everything he like, he was so charming, Like women were legit swooning in the audience, Like I was kind of like like, I remember he did something that wasn't even that funny, and the girl next to me was like, like the way you do with like eyes, like we are literally I've literally found myself being more like by the dumb stuff he was doing. I was actually almost like I was glinda like being tricked by it, and not even like, oh, we're being tricked by because he you know, you're aware of how cunning he is and like how he is kind of like a cad, but I was. I was so enraptured by I think he's amazing. And then there all their voices are amazing. Bowen was hilarious and yeah, Bowen was there to just yeah yet the.
Speaker 4: Quick machine press punchline.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and he was great and it just looked so much fun to be and like, I can't Bowen's my only way to maybe ask someone like what was it like being in this movie, Like I want to know, like what because I was thinking, like because I heard something that Bowen said that he had learned the choreography to one scene they were shooting in like September, and then by February they're like, oh, we're shooting it today, and he's like, oh, I don't really remember the choreo. So then he did it and he was able to nail it. But like I was like, oh my god, what if you were the one person in one of those dance scenes that like fucks up the thing and you have to take it all over and everyone's nailed it, Like I want to know from a dance perspective of what that's like, because I die.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, no, man, just be the only one that's fucked up. It's like a field goal kicker missing the kick that is, but.
Speaker 1: If everyone on the team was kicking at the same time and they all made it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's literally why I quit improv is I did not like having other people I could like, I don't like being part of that kind of team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like because we were doing the TNF thing, the Thursday Night Football pre tape that we were doing the other day, and I kept fucking up.
Speaker 1: Like I'd get a real long line of something and it'd be like.
Speaker 2: Going, and then I fuck of the last line and yeah, it's like everyone's like, oh damn it, you know, and we all feel a little bit of like but it's not you guys don't have like the it's you weren't performing in that moment. I didn't just waste your performance. I was did your time watching it, but it didn't feel as like I would. I don't know what I would do if like the very last step or something during a number where it's everyone it does their best job, Oh my god, because it must happen.
Speaker 4: There was one time on a set I won't say what sex. I don't want to want to figure it out, but there was one time on a set where there was this this guy who had one really long line and it was so long that they even did like a special camera move so that he could say the line it wouldn't be boring, and he just could not get it. It took We were sitting there for like forty five minutes while he tried it over and over again, and it got to the point where we were like, should we just cut the line?
Speaker 3: It's like, like you do it? Was he not like he just she just he had to memorize it, you know, start panicking. Yeah, and the moment where you're just like, I know I can do this, and because you've now lost the confidence to do it, yeah, it's impossible to get it right.
Speaker 4: And at first you just go like, oh, sorry about that. And then then you start doing the thing where you like kind of do that laugh where you go like I'm drinking a CANVASI I'm drinking a canvas vivia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Then you and that's embarrassing because we all know what's happening in your head when you're making faces and noises like that. And then he got the equivalent of the yips I would say, and it was like maybe like fourteen fifteen times, and we were like, we're gonna have to bring someone else in or just cut the line.
Speaker 2: And at that point I would have said I can't. I would have been the one as the actor to be like, I got you, guys, should bring someone else. Let me like, don't don't make I'm not gonna make you tell me this.
Speaker 1: I will myself.
Speaker 4: And we couldn't break it up into easier lines because there was a camera movement. It was like a one shot. Oh God, and then we were like we're gonna have to break for lunch at least, and then we're like, okay, one last one before lunch, and then he just nailed. He didn't crush it, but he cash barely crossed the finish line, but he was there and it was This.
Speaker 2: Happened to me for one of the first commercials I ever did, and it was I only got the commercial because they hired Nicky and Sarah from Nicky and Sarah Live on MTV to do this like VM as kind of cross promo with the Kia Hamsters, like we had delayed.
Speaker 3: You can't say no to that.
Speaker 1: It's l m f A, oh sexy and a lot of like party.
Speaker 4: They were.
Speaker 2: They were like the song I remember the Hamster Dance. It was like one of the first things that you could look up on the Internet and it was the amsterdamce dot com. I remember that like dance Dancing Hamsters that was going twenty four hours a day and you just tune in they would go that d I remember I had to do a scene where I was gett we were getting ready for our date night with the Hamsters or whatever. The Hamsters weren't there in this scene, but we were in like a dressing room and Sarah's on the outside like throwing clothes to me, and I'm like saying like, oh, this isn't fit or whatever, and I could not get the line. It was the same kind of thing, and it probably went on for a minute before I started totally freaking out. And then at two minutes I fully broke down and started sobbing, like I was just in a bad space and I cried.
Speaker 1: It was so awkward. Oh oh, I remember, Oh my god, Okay, who's your part of this? So I'm I'm I'm already nervous to be on set.
Speaker 2: I start fucking up. I start fucking up the lines early on. I don't know what I'm doing. I feel ugly. I'm in a fight with my boyfriend. I remember, it was just a bad day. And then and then I'm fucking up this line. And then there they stopped down to change something, probably just to get me to like calm down and get rid of the yips or whatever, like take a break.
Speaker 1: So they're fixing some lighting.
Speaker 4: Or something, and then one of them you're gonna make it.
Speaker 1: Can I can I change my answer?
Speaker 3: I've always said this to you. And one of the.
Speaker 2: And so this guy that was kind of like not a good vibe, just like kind of like didn't want to be there, like one of the you know, either sound guy lighting guy, but like an older guy that was kind of just like smarmy and snarky and saying shitty things.
Speaker 1: I already didn't like him, and that's rare for me on set.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember not liking anyone else on set ever in my life. But so this I remember, this guy stood out and then he goes, your comedian, I got a joke or no? He no, he goes, he didn't say that, sorry most people say that. He goes, oh do you guys hear that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Who did shit? Hold on?
Speaker 2: Oh do you guys hear Melissa Ethridge died? And it's like around the smartphone time, right, And so I go, oh my god, what, Like I don't love Melissa Etharts, but like her dying would be kind of sad because she's like, at this point, this was ten years ago, she.
Speaker 1: Was young, and that's a thing. I was like, what really, And he was like, yeah, she drowned in Ricky Lake.
Speaker 2: I was just like what, So I felt dumb because I got upset that she was dead, and then I felt dumb that it was just a dumb joke, and everyone like laughed around and I was just like sickened by the dumb joke, like it was didn't even make sense, like they're not even connected.
Speaker 4: Lake is not gay at gay And then he was eating she was eating her out. Yeah, but then she wouldn't die.
Speaker 2: He definitely did not say she died eating someone out, and I was like, who, you know, I would not have been sad by that setup, So it was definitely Melissa Ethwards died. And then I go, oh my god, and so I looked so I felt dumb and then I like could not. Then I was just so mad at him and mad that he tricked me, and everyone laughed at me believing it and kind of made fun of me for being upset about Melissa Ethern's dying that I started crying and I they had to like stop down for a really long time so I could like recover. And it was so embarrassing, but it likely when it happens to you, like there's no getting out of it, Like it almost reminded me of that that's show we did.
Speaker 3: I know, because your brain stops working.
Speaker 2: Your brain, your brain stops working when you are failing at something that I feeling.
Speaker 1: It took it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it just stops feeding you things to say. And you were just so stuck in that moment. Awful, Yeah, awful, It's truly terrible.
Speaker 2: But yeah, have you ever, guys, ever gotten the yips in any way of your life where you, like FROs.
Speaker 3: Had a bad doing voiceover with the script in front of me, Like, I just I just could not nail a line.
Speaker 1: It was like with a script to with.
Speaker 3: A script, and like it's just like I'm in my head, I'm saying it the correct way and out loud, it just was not coming out that way. And then I'm like, I got it, and then I just start tripping over it even though I'm reading it.
Speaker 1: Sala.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: We ended up saying like, no, we're sorry, Robert. It did make it because I couldn't say Sala. I've seen you like Sala, Salid, and then.
Speaker 1: The other guys.
Speaker 2: If you don't, if you read them enough in your head, you cement them and then someone says them and you go oh shit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's pretty crazy. I feel like it affects literally everyone, like like truly, like even like movie stars I've seen do it, like they're just like doing the line and me like fuck like and starting over and going like fuck Like, it's just non stop. It's just I think it's just part of the human conditions. Well, we're not supposed to be memorizing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's probably it.
Speaker 4: Steve Martin famously got stage fright in his fifties or something, and he didn't step on stage for like fifteen twenty years or something.
Speaker 1: Wasn't stage right.
Speaker 2: He said it was like the Friday Late Show was his reason for quitting comedy because like drunk crowds.
Speaker 4: Just well in born standing up. I think he talked about how he got stage fright. God he couldn't step on stage anymore all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: He also couldn't go to his own movie premieres because he like had his first panic attack at a movie because he smoked a little bit of weed and attack. So he just never went to his premieres and stuff. But yeah, it was the Saturday Light Show and also I think he was like Saturday doing or Friday light show.
Speaker 1: Because they work all day and then they're tired and.
Speaker 3: Drunk and doing like the amphitheaters. Everyone like was not They weren't listening to him. They were just shouting out like wild and crazy guy or like Duke King tut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't fun anymore.
Speaker 3: It's stopped being fun for him. Like I saw that with Norm. Like one time Norm was at the Irvine Improv and he like was truly bombing, like like bombing from getting insane. Yeah, I would bomb. He was like you know, like he was just completely they were not he was not in sync with the audience. But at one point like forty.
Speaker 1: Well hold on please, when he when he would not be in sync with him, would he give a fuck? Was it really? Like it didn't seem to.
Speaker 3: If anything, he'd double and triple down, like.
Speaker 1: Did he enjoy it? Like so he felt it? It wasn't like he didn't feel the bomb. Was he get a kick out of it? And then like afterwards would he be.
Speaker 3: Like, man, I bombed, that was awesome or no, he was like bummed he was bombing, but he cared a lot, but he would like run the light when he was bombing. I guess maybe like somewhere trying to get them back. I think he thought he could get them back even with this, but like interesting, like he ran the light by an hour, like it was. Adam Egan and I were sitting there and we were just like we could not believe it because people were just like walking out.
Speaker 2: And know you would hear that worm would walk rooms all the time. Yeah, and I wouldn't believe it. And then I got confirmationed because I go, well, people are just saying that, like, but it happened a lot. It was.
Speaker 3: It was crazy, like forty minutes into a show, like I he got like the five minutes of laughter when he first walked on stage, and then like for the next thirty five minutes he had completely lost them. And they don't even know how. I think he like smoked weed before him before. It was not climbing, nothing was clicking as timing was messed up, and like at one point, forty minutes in, someone yelled out.
Speaker 4: To dirty work.
Speaker 3: Adam Egan and I laughed for five minutes straight, and I think it kind of reinvigorated norm a little bit. Yeah, when was this laughing at twenty twelve thirteen, oh, my god. But yeah, he walked. I like it was a sold out show, so there's like four hundred people there, probably walked more than half the room. Oh and did two hours, including several poems.
Speaker 1: Is he is he is he commenting on the people walking out or is not noticing it or.
Speaker 3: Just sticking with it like doing his material, and then he's like, oh, you guys don't like jokes. Uh, And then he'd be like, oh, here's a poem that I remember reading. Hey, do you like a poem about like the nineteen twenties Yankees from memory?
Speaker 2: Well, it is interesting, like you were saying, getting like late in life phobias or when they just come out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: And we talked about it before, but I think nay.
Speaker 2: Porgazi said he got clauster phobia out of nowhere, like one day.
Speaker 4: It just appeared to well, I think I have that I have something going on because of the MRI.
Speaker 3: That I'd so, oh, yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: We talked about it, and.
Speaker 4: Now there's a lot of things that I'm like, I can feel that anxiety building up, and it's like I didn't used to have this at all.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't like this adult getting new Like anxieties in adult really have to work on it, you.
Speaker 1: Do, You have to, Like, I think meditation is kind of.
Speaker 4: Well speaking of I'm tomorrow I'm getting hypnotized. Well not tomorrow, still, I'm not gonna do it. I am having a consultation with the hypnot therapist tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so I'm going to get hip for what to try to stop clenching.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, it's like your jaw or just your minds.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's just my jaw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to stop clenching my jaw because it's subconscious. A lot of people say it's based on stress and so, and you have no control over it because it happens while you're sleeping.
Speaker 2: God it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to see if that works. And then maybe they said, like sometimes when you get hypnotherapy for something, other things start to like unravel, and then you release unravel and things go downhill fast. Then you go crazy. It starts to unwind or something and.
Speaker 1: It releases some sort of I'm so excited about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like maybe some kind of like deep rooted stress or cause of the anxiety will be tempered because of whatever.
Speaker 1: Maybe the clenching is just the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 4: We definitely, yeah, it definitely is.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited to report back on whether or not this works great. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm going into it one one hundred percent believing it will work because I am I'm absolutely desperate.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's when you start praying. Yeah, and you're right away hypnotize, like you'll maybe meditate and start to pray like at the thing. I remember I was like praying during COVID because I was so depressed and I was like I don't know what else to do, like and I was like, oh, this is why people like turn to God when there's really no other option, Like this doesn't work. Same with those books that I read to quit drinking and quit smoking. Like I just I think it really helps going into something being like this is going to work, because I think that's that's.
Speaker 4: The reason it worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, there was a joke I don't I don't know if it's Patrice or Neil Brennan or someone like that who had a joke about like, why why is it that all the o'nil brennan Pat Brennan, Yes, yeah, from Ireland? Why is it that all the poor people that get are victims of natural disasters are always so religious. And there was like walking through these flood waters praying. I mean it was Louis actually yeah, praying to their to God, and it's like God just fucked you. Like he's you're like his least favorite person.
Speaker 2: But that reminds me of the pat Oswald joke maybe feel kind of pattern where he was like, uh, it was talking about Bush, like this was back when we didn't like Bush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's He's like, it's so funny when you meet.
Speaker 2: Someone who loves but when they're Bush and they're like, yeah, fucking love Bush, and he goes, Bush fucking hates you.
Speaker 1: He caught dead. You know that, right? Like Matt, the kind of like what why of all people, why do you like this person? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I you know what, we have to take a break, So let's do that and we'll come back to Finally. I found that the thing that is new for me is like I gotta get better. Final thought for me, I feel like my anxiety that I want to conquer that is like showing up that I'm like, oh this could spiral or unravel, is not wanting to watch myself or not even what.
Speaker 1: Like it's gotten so bad that like even the Gracie Abrams, Uh, that might be sad that you didn't watch that. No, I did watch her talking about it, but I did watch it, Okay, But no.
Speaker 2: Even that's okay for me to see people. I don't even really like watching people talk about me, but anything that has to do with me, I don't want to watch, Like even people who did my TikTok, like the TikTok I did. I couldn't watch people do the TikTok. That's like, Nikki Glazer, you slay this. I tried it too, Like I don't even want to watch that. And I don't even know what that is because I I, oh, you know what what it is. Because I feel like if there's a part of it that's not good, it's my fault. I should have made a cool move for them to make it this part and they didn't know what to do with their hands at that part, and that's my fault, and I like made them come up with something new and it was my respont. Like I have to get over this because I hate watching myself for me and the only way to cause whenever I have to edit a special and I have to do it. I eventually, by the end of it, I could watch anything of myself. It's it's like trial by fire, like you just get used to it. And but then I then I go step away from it, and I go, Okay, now I can watch myself, and I step away too long, and then it becomes like I would rather do anything than watch myself literally anything, and it's just not It's not okay because that's what I do for a living, is ask people to watch me.
Speaker 1: Why can't I do?
Speaker 2: That's what I do for living?
Speaker 1: Ask ye? But do you not watch the stand up clips I send you?
Speaker 2: No? I I turn them down and then I scroll through to make sure the captions are right, what the capsules are.
Speaker 1: That I would's my job. I've already I already.
Speaker 2: I trust that the sound's gonna be good, the audio, the visually it looks good. But I'm not going to listen to myself and and like watch it back.
Speaker 1: No fucking way. Can I watch every any anything I send you? What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Like TikTok's like did you watch the full? Like karaoke like US Karaoke thing, us Karaoke, the one where you're like guessing the lyrics.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, I did watch that whole thing.
Speaker 2: I don't mind watching myself if I'm not like performing, if it's like something that I'm just like it's clipped together and it's just me talking because the expectations are lower for myself because I'm like.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't I wasn't trying to be. It's just for TikTok. Yeah, not just for TikTok. But it's like I'm.
Speaker 2: More.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was no preparation.
Speaker 1: I didn't like, I couldn't have prepared for this.
Speaker 3: Yes, and like when when you've actually done the work watching yourself, all you're seeing is the flaws that happened. Yes, it's impossible to not like it sucks so much, Like I can't. I don't like hearing my voice.
Speaker 1: I don't like see you don't like it either.
Speaker 3: I hate it.
Speaker 1: I hate here you bly postings or when you watch them before you post it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm a blind poster.
Speaker 2: Like I am like, well, that's a good that's a good thing. As long as you don't it doesn't stop you from posting. Because I found it was stopping me from posting. And then as soon as I just go if I don't, if I just post it like and I just separate myself from any kind of feedback on it, so I don't even know if it bombs, Like I don't even get to know.
Speaker 1: Then I'm able to still do it but not watch myself and still have a career. Yeah, but it does help to review your work, it does it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, want that, Like I want to be able to be like, look at it blew up. I can see like a screenshot of the ten or whatever, but.
Speaker 1: I don't watch it again.
Speaker 3: I'll list the numbers are the validation.
Speaker 2: But Chris always says, like, but you you, but you know, why don't you want to rehearse this thing that you have to film and read the script over and over when you do stand up a thousand like you'll do a thousand sets to practice something. And I'm like, because those sets aren't practice. It's a real perform Like it's not just me practicing to a wall, like it's there's it's a performance. So every time I practice, if I work in that each practice is a something's writing on it, then I'll practice.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: That's why when I was learning guitar, it helped so much for me to go on.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, I just haven't played that often because I just don't. I don't have time right now and my nails are always too long to play it.
Speaker 4: So you haven't lost the No.
Speaker 1: I love it when I can, but I just don't have time. It sucks.
Speaker 4: It's like that makes sense.
Speaker 2: And so but when I was learning how to play, I would go live on Instagram on the Nikki Laser pot and it I wouldn't There's no way I would have gotten good without it.
Speaker 1: I never would have actice alone.
Speaker 2: Like when during COVID, before I was going live on a script, I would go like, Mom, Dad, I like, and I was living with them, and I like would learn a song and play it for them, and their responses were not good like they were they were just like, okay, you know, like.
Speaker 4: I as a guitarist also yeah special yeah.
Speaker 2: But also I would think that he would be like a more understanding of the learning process than was.
Speaker 1: I had to have a little confrontation with them, and so, hey, Dad, the same standard as you.
Speaker 4: Sometimes what if like you had a what if you're if Arlow or somebody was like, I'm gonna want to be a stand up and they're like sixteen at this point or seventeen and they start doing stand up.
Speaker 2: I would only compliment that. I would only compliment them and tell them the things are good at that are like going to make them better. Like I would realize that everyone's supposed to suck at their stage and they should as good as me out of the gate. Sure, wow, because I have a thing called empathy.
Speaker 1: That some people lack because they were raised by alcoholics.
Speaker 2: Empathy and they're not bad people, they just lack it sometimes, Dad, I love you, no, but it's so like yeah, I I it's just I think that's if if if you can get me, if you film me reviewing my work and we make a documentary of it or something, then I will do it.
Speaker 5: I would love to do that because I didn't that upset because like I feel like for me, it was in social media, like it's so hard, you know, to get a video to go viral. So it's like when for her, like I know, you know, I've never I think of total It's like any roast clip I post on Instagram, we'll get a million views in like fifteen to.
Speaker 1: Twenty minutes, right, and that's insane, Like that's unheard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and then I don't give myself credit for those and then she won't because she's like.
Speaker 1: Like she'll heart the message, I hope. So she's pissed I sent her this great No, not pissed at all. I'll be like, I just I can't. I can't let it in.
Speaker 2: I know what I I don't know you because I'm like, look at that, like that she because what do I do if I let it in? Okay, let's explore letting it, edit it. Wow, everyone likes me so much?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The thing is it's going to go away at some point, like I'm not gonna this can't sustain and even if it does, great, but when I don't want to tie any my happiness to numbers and fame and like getting things like real happiness, because the second I do, if it goes away, I will. I'm so scared of that feeling, Like that's why I don't spend a lot of money on big things, because I'm always scared it's gonna go away and I'm gonna be on the streets like I need to save.
Speaker 1: I need to like I can't.
Speaker 2: Maybe that I'm trying to like psychoanalyze myself, but I think maybe that's it. I like, I don't want to let it in because I'm scared it will go away. I know. And that's why I wouldn't like love Chris my boyfriend until last May, because I was scared it was going to.
Speaker 1: Go or I wanted to go away.
Speaker 2: I wanted I want to be able to flee, so I don't want to let you in, Like I want to be able to leave the industry. I want to be able to like if I this is too much, I want to be able to leave. But if you have if you're getting ten million views on everything, like, you can't pull out. There's too many people counting on you.
Speaker 3: Just sustain the way the only way to keep doing it is to just never stop doing it. You just have to keep going. You have to keep going for egg, never taking a break, Like.
Speaker 1: No, you can't take a break.
Speaker 3: Like the break is like like I like look at like somebody like Dane Cook, who was like just such a huge, huge, huge star doing movies, still doing stand up. Then he started doing so many movies he stopped doing stand up and then it just like went away.
Speaker 2: It went away, and he's building it back, which has been actually really fun to watch, and he's like doing it again. Yeah, Like I just I just subscribed to his YouTube, and I'm like, I'm back on the Dane train. Like I feel like this is like MySpace two thousand and four or something like, I feel like I'm on the ground level of Dane Cook again. Of like I'm actually interested in his He's making me laugh again in ways that like are reminiscent.
Speaker 3: Of the first time he was super funny on Spades podcast to the and like talking about this documentary made about like his brother's stealing all his money and oh great, I can't wait to watch this documentary. He sold it so well that I'm like, oh, man, for the first time in twenty years, take my money, Dank Cook, Dude.
Speaker 2: I made Chris watch a really really long Danye Cook clip the other night that was like probably six.
Speaker 4: Minutes long, and ship, what is it? Relationship is that the title of a that's one of his six minute long bits that it was.
Speaker 2: Something about It was about texting. It was longer ago than just the other day. It was like months ago, but it was about texting and just like the intricacies of it, and it was reminiscent of his style of like and then we do this, and then the bubbles come up, into the bubbles go away, you ever, the bubbles just don't come back. And it's like it's stuff that maybe standups have it explored, but I just I was there for it there.
Speaker 4: It's so annoying that people pretend like Dane Cook sucks at stand up. Everybody that's our age.
Speaker 1: And he'll clip this and it's gonna end up somewhere.
Speaker 2: I talk about it all the time and say, like it's bullshit that anyone says he's not fine.
Speaker 4: His first album was one of the best comedy albums ever.
Speaker 2: Like it.
Speaker 1: It was like he was so huge, Like you don't understand how huge he was. No, I don't, but you're already saying that I'm saying, and I relate to that. Would you prepare.
Speaker 3: Him to now? I mean like he was Chapel, I mean yes, kind of it was.
Speaker 2: It was overnight, overnight, and it was stadium.
Speaker 4: It wasn't overnight because he was behind the scenes to get emails.
Speaker 1: Was Sabrina Carpenter. It was it was like years and years and then all of a sudden, it was.
Speaker 4: Like a millennial millennial. I think boys especially, there were a few things that defined their sense of humor. One of them was family Guy, and one of them was Dangerous Without.
Speaker 3: But it was like crazy because like I had just started stand up and like I bought that album and I like love that album. I was listening to it and then and but then you kind of noticed, like a year later, everyone you went to high school with, which is still so fresh to me, started liking him, and I'm like, you guys know him was like my secret thing.
Speaker 2: Until probably like the Basses did, Okay, we gotta go put it enough about Dane, great show.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have one for you.
Speaker 2: We're gonna takee it right after this, so it'll be a continuation of this energy. Will see you then, Uh, don't be cud and by. The Nicky Glazer podcast is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeart Podcasts. Created and hosted by me Nicki Glazer, co hosted by Brian Frangie. Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sonny and Noah Avior edited it engineered by Lean and Loaf, Video production Mark Canton, and music by Anya Marina.
Speaker 1: You can now watch full
Speaker 2: Episodes of the Nicky Glazer Podcast on YouTube, follow at Nicki Glazer Pod and subscribe to our channel