Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security. My graduates from my school being false back and drop drop Mike, drop back, drop Drop.
Speaker 3: Earners, what's going on? You are now locked in the cliff notes, the number one place for investment strategies, tips and advice. Make sure you have your notepads ready, but more importantly, make sure you're ready to execute on the information to hear a more extended conversation. Make sure to check out our live YouTube show market Mondays every Monday eight pm Easter Standard time seven pm Central, and check out the Market Monday's podcast on iHeart, Spotify, Apple, or wherever you download your podcast.
Speaker 4: Now, all right, guys, welcome back. Before we start, we gotta let you know. You know, we got a lot, a lot of requests extend the sale for Eyle University.
Speaker 2: We heard you.
Speaker 4: It was supposed to get shut down on January one, but as you know any university, or as you might not know, it's actually ending as its current form and graduate school will begin. So we was planning on launching and graduate school January first, ran to some technical difficulties, had to make sure everything was right with the website and all that, so we pushed it back a week. The price made double, may tripping, may quadruple. We definite know, but it's going to be completely revamped. It's gonna be a different situation. But Eyl University includes over one hundred past webinars weekly webinars, access to our movie club, access to our book club, access to our Facebook group, bi weekly real estate calls with MG the Mortgage Guy, and once a month financial planning calls with me. All of that is included in the EYO University membership. So if you're interested, you can go to eyouniversity dot com right now and enter promo code eyl at checkout for forty percent off. Yeah. So four one K, right, this is the beginning of the year. The four one K is a lot of people's first way to start investing in the stock market. Right, most people actually the majority of their stock investment, or if they only they only have one stock investment, and that is the four one K. Right. A lot of people don't have outside stock investments outside of a retirement plan. So what is your suggestion for people, young people or old people whatever that you know might have just signed up for the four one K or are in a four one K. What's your thoughts on allocation and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: No, I think that that's a really good question. I did want to address what you all said about the tax deductions before we move forward, because I think that that's important and significant. When you live your life like a business. The expenses that you incur as an individual, you can, like you said, right off, as a business. So like the Internet that you're using on a regular basis, you already know you was going to be scrolling through Instagram, following uy L following in, following a shot, following Troy following, like y'all said, all right, but you also use your Internet to run your business. Your cell phone, you gonna call your girlfriend, You gonna gossip about that guy you swipe right on and he showed up at the day a whole catfish. But guess what else? You're gonna use your cell phone to call? Make business calls in order to generate business. Like when I started looking at the number of tax deductions that are available for your business, those number over four hundred deductions. If you're going on vacation but you're doing business for a certain percentage of time, that's no longer a business. I mean, that's no longer a vacation. That's now business travel. So when I started to reorient my mind into thinking about what are the things that I'm gonna do anyway, you know, just as an individual, how can I reclassify that as my business, I was able to see how I can reduce the taxable income because you all talked about taxes being expensive. Taxes are expensive the more income that you earn, because the percentage that they charge in taxes increases along with your income. With deductions, you're able to reduce that tax liability, and that's what deductions really afford to you. So that was I really liked how you all talked about that. In regard to the four O one K four O three B if you're working with a nonprofit organization four one K four three B TSP. If you're self employed, it is the IRIS the traditional ROTH, and we can talk about that as well. The first thing that you want to do is you want to ask your employer, because the four to oh one K is an employer sponsor program, if they can match your contribution and how much they match per dollar. So one of my employers match up to six percent of the salary that I was earning, so every single year, just like you said, Richard, they're going to ask for those individuals who want to contribute to the four oh one K, they're going to ask how much you want to contribute and how frequently, So you want to make sure that you ask those critical questions. The second thing is the biggest mistake that I made, is I did listen to my mama because she told me listen at twenty years oh, you were going to be invested in your four one K, and I will tell her at twenty years old, I'm not thinking about retirement. I'm not thinking about retirement. But we know the benefits of compound interest. The earlier you get started, the more your money can go to work with you or work for you over the years. So my mom started investing in retirement at thirty one. She thought if I could start eleven years ahead of her, then perhaps I could retire early. But for four one ks, you want to look inside whatever your employer has set you up with. Initially, for me, one of the biggest mistakes I made is I looked inside of my four one K late and I saw that nearly one hundred percent of my money was invested in money markets. So I think I heard maybe Ian talking about it earlier. I came in maybe about ten minutes towards the end of the conversations. But money markets are not going to return as much as equities, So like my money is returning one or two percent a year. It took me like two years to check it. One or two percent a year. That's equivalent to your money be invested in a savings account. Think about a four to one K. If you were active managing your funds, or you're critically thinking about what mutual funds you want to select, then you should be returning at least, in my opinion, at least that what the S and P five hundred is returning. So one to two percent was too low for me. So I had to go inside of my four o one k, look at the mutual funds that my employer has selected for me, and then get smart, just like you all said informations on the other side of your fingertips, get smart about what mutual funds I thought we could perform better for me versus what my employer selected. What are some of the things that I look for. The first thing is rule of thumb. You take one hundred and ten, you subtracted by however old you are right now, and whatever that resulting number is is the percentage of equities in which your mutual funds should be invested.
Speaker 3: So it said it one more time because I know people missed it, but it's formula.
Speaker 2: Yes, So you take one D and cent, you subtract your age, and whatever that resulting number is is the percentage of equities in which you should be invested. Equities is synonymous to stocks. You can have US equities, which is US companies. You can have non US equities, which means that's foreign investments, that's foreign businesses that are being traded on their stock markets. So whatever that number is, equity should be represented there.
Speaker 4: Ho hold, I just want to just because that was that was actually a very very good, useful formula. So if you're thirty years old, that's roughly eighty percent. Eighty percent of your money should be in stocks. Yep, that's extremely I agree.
Speaker 2: You guys are sleeping on it. Write that down, crit it down, and they can play in three weeks. Like what was the formula? Write it down? Now, write it down, Come on down, we should have one. Come on, let's go, and you should be at money markets until you're like seventy or eighty. I can't believe they. So that is the thing about it is listen, y'all give away a lot of free games, so you want to look at the percentage of equities. You want to get familiar with the different asset classes that are available to you. So I heard Ian talking about bonds. You can do real estate, you can do a mixed fund. So like, you want to take a look at what's inside of that fund. Next, you want to take a look at your mutual fund. What is the expense ratio? Because over time, the higher the expense ratio is, the more expensive it is to keep that particular mutual fund. I recommend that the expense ratio be one percent or fewer. Okay. Expense ratio is what fund managers charge you to pay them to actively manage the investments within your mutual fund portfolio. Okay, so that's one percent. You take that one percent and you multiply it by the money that you have invested in that account. It's important that you understand what type of equities are in there. So you may look at like what is the type of fund and may say things like large cap, mid cap, small cap. I believe Ian was talking about this earlier too, so large cap. Those are the large companies that you definitely recognize their names. That's the Amazon's.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member fdic ernest What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 5: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: Facebook's, the Microsofts to Googles. But then during the pandemic, some of the high performers have been the MidCap companies. So one particular MidCap mutual fund that I owned, two companies that were on there that were turned in triple digits. Tesla was in there, Teledoc was in there. Those were two companies that you absolutely know their name, and they returned it significantly. Why because, of course, we had a black swan event. No one could have predicted that we would be in the middle of a health pandemic, right, a health pandemic that nobody could have anticipated. And those companies that were able to serve our needs while we stayed at home, which is why they call it stay at home stocks, were able to experience tremendous growth. Okay, so MidCap MidCap, and then you have small cap companies and so those are small capitalized. That's what that CAP stands capitalized companies. Okay, so you want to take a look at that. Not everything that I take a look at. When I'm looking at mutual funds, I'm looking at the sectors. So you know, there's eleven sectors in the stock market, Like, what are the top three to four sectors within that fund? Again, one of the things that I loved about with Ian said he said, hey, these were the top three performing sectors for twenty twenty. Technology? Was it communications? Consumer discretionary. Get comfortable in figuring out what exactly does that mean? And guess what Google is? Your friend on the other side of your fingertips again, is information. Don't swim in the ocean of knowledge and drowning ignorance. When we talk about technology, that's the Apple, that's a Microsoft, that's a Google. When we talk about consumer discretionary, that's home depot. Y'all was in y'all house, fixing your closets, painting your walls, making your house look pretty. That's McDonald's. Were not going to negotiate if you should be eating them chicken nuggets. But let me tell you, some people got tired of cooking. They went right on in not drive through. That's a consumer discretionary category. Communications. Everybody was watching Netflix, Disney plus the introduction of five g's, So that's Sprint. I ain't gonna talk about y'all Sprint, folks, but the call always drops somewhere. Communications sectors. Be smart about the sectors. What are the companies that you're patronizing that you're spending your hard earned dollars at during the pandemic after the pandemic, pre pandemic, Be smart about the sectors. What are the sectors that underperform? Energy? Why? That's oil, right, that's oil. You can't love Tesla and be pro energy too, I mean that's clean energy. You know something you're looking at energy? You know you're taking the planes have been grounded? What do they require fuel? Right? When we're talking about cars, some of you aren't commuting to your nine to five. You're nine to five. You're not driving from your house to your job. You walk in from your bedroom to your living room. Okay, so you're not putting as much fuel in your car. Energy sector underperform, right, So like that's raking low. So you want to take a look at those sectors and you want to see if that makes sense. What are some companies that are part of those sectors? And then I look at the top ten holdings within that mutual fund, because I think it's important you know one of those top ten holdings, how they performing. And then the last thing that I'll say is that, yes, I read the prospectives. That's important. You should always read the prospectus. Yes, for some of you all it's alone. But if you can sit and you can watch Netflix and Binge, watch it for three consecutive days and text your boot, you can read the prospectus. But I also look at the benchmark, because the benchmark is what the fund manager said that they were going to this particular benchmark. I'm going to perform at or better than this benchmark. What is a benchmark? The guys talked about it on EYL. That's why y'all in here, right. So like that might be the S and P five hundred, five hundred publicly traded companies. That might be the Russell two thousand, you know, is it a Wrestle two thousand growth? Is it a Wrestle two thousand value? It might be the Russell twenty five hundred, It might be the Russell one thousand. This benchmark. If you look at and this is a key that I do when I'm teaching my classes, I go to markets ft dot com. Or if you have a tarmac with Fidelity, or you know whatever, wherever your four oh one K exists, going there, maybe they have some resource tool. But I go to marketsft dot com, I type in the stock symbol and I click performance, And when you click performance, it will show what was the benchmark for that particular mutual fund and at what percentage did it return five years ago, three years ago, one year ago, six months ago, three months ago today, if the stock market was open that day, Okay, it might be fifteen percent, twenty percent. Right, Let's say five years ago was fifteen percent, three years ago was ten percent. Then you're gonna look at your mutual fund and you want to see how well those fund managers put the expense ratio. Did they charge you that one percent that point zero five percent to work? If their benchmark was fifteen percent. If Russell one thousand return fifteen percent and your mutual fund returned six percent, they didn't even meet their benchmark. That means they set a goal that they couldn't even meet. And if they couldn't meet their goal five years, three years, two years, one years, what makes you think that they're gonna meet the goal today? So when I look at the mutual fund, I always look at that benchmark, and I'm always looking at the mutual fund and seeing if that percentage is higher than the goal that the fund set for itself. And that's important to look at performance long term because, like Eyl said, twenty twenty was an amazing year for those people who got smart and got active in the market if you could afford to invest right those returns. Some of these mutual funds were returning twenty thirty forty fifty percent. We probably cannot anticipate that that's gonna happen in twenty twenty one with the introduction of the vaccine. But if you look five years, three years, two years ago pre pandemic, you can see how those fund managers were managing that account apps in COVID and that could be a future indicator for their performance moving forward. Well, what's now to cut you off? What's the mutual fund or top two that you like? Because I know they're gonna kill us if we don't ask. I like the Fidelity blue Chip Growth so I believe that that is write down the stick to stock TI for that. But that's Fidelity blue chip Growth. And then I also like B and Y melon small big cap, so that's d B max so d B m A x dB max. Okay, so those are the two that I have.
Speaker 4: The Fidelity I'm definitely familiar with the Fidelity mid cap growth one. That's that's a that's a very good one. That was a whole that I and that the information is not just for a four to one k's like, that's just broad range investment information. She just talked about make cap, large, cat, small, cab, pe ratio benchmarks, a lot of stuff that I don't think we even spoke about before. So yeah, man, that was that was great. I just I just want people to fully appreciate the level of education because that was a lot a lot of gyms. Sometimes that you give people so many gyms, it's just like they don't fully understand what's what's being given to them. Now was like a full blueprint of actually how to break down fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the crazy part is like to me, when I was listening to it, I'm like, Yo, this is crazy. This sounds pretty similar to how we will research our ETFs.
Speaker 4: Well, once you, like I said, learn about process, right, once you learn one, it's like learning the language. Like once you learn one thing, whether it's a mutual fund, whether it's an ETF, whether it's an individual stock, it's all it's all synonymous with each other. And that this is what helps you. Like once you start to learn about the investment language, they're all very similar. So you can use the same the same thing in individual stocks with your brokerage, investing for your kid, doing an IRA for one K. It's all very similar.
Speaker 3: But you know what the beautiful part is, and I give you a whole lot of credit. It's like, think about all of what she just told you, Like that's the homework.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: People like, Yo, what y'all y'all saying, like, do your homeworker what she just gave you a whole lesson of how to do the homework when it comes to investing in mutual funds. And shout everybody. I see people putting up that we and to death about expense ratios in the book club. But Yo, you just laid it out.
Speaker 6: We got we got keys, we gotta get you the teacher class, key Lay Professor, Professor Key got you gotta get, you gotta get your.
Speaker 3: Teacher class and I would love to join.
Speaker 2: I do want to add that the one I just wanted to my Fidelity account. That's why I keep Traditional I r A and we were talking about four one ks. But like I said, this information transferable and that's f b g r X. That's the stock tickers. So that's f b g r X and that's Fidelity Blue Chip.
Speaker 4: Give it. It's a whole lot of game. My graduates from my school being forced back drop b drop, Mike drop back drop drop.
Speaker 1: And then legal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day. Imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,