Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing the lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business card.
Speaker 3: I'm Attorney Howard Ankle. You or someone who knows been heard it, work akin law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. Hey, We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 4: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 5: Hello, folks, welcome to a special edition socks Live.
Speaker 6: I am your host, Josh Nelson, as we are streaming live on Friday, August seven, twenty twenty six. Typically we have a podcast episode that we record for you guys at a video show, but I had to fly out to San Francisco for a family medical emergency, So thank you so much for watching this live stream. A lot has happened for the Chicago White Sox as they just wrapped up their series against the Boston Red Sox and man, maybe the less we talk about what happened in Boston the better, but it did not go well again for the White Sox against the Boston Red Sox, as the White Sox are once again swept and a really devastating twelve to eleven loss in thirteen innings last night, and in these six games against the Red Sox, of course, the White Sox go oh and six. They only scored fifteen runs this year against the Boston Red Sox and they allowed forty five. So you just do the math and that is a negative.
Speaker 5: Thirty run differential.
Speaker 6: I guess the silver lining for the Chicago White Sox, however, is that when you take a look at the American League Central standings, the Cleveland Guardians really fumbled the bag as they got.
Speaker 5: Swept at home why the New York Mets.
Speaker 6: A really head scratching series result for the Cleveland Guardians. The White Sox still have a three game lead over the Guardians, but the Minnesota Twins have caught the Guardians. The Twins actually hold the tiebreaker against Cleveland, so right now Minnesota would be in second place the fifty seven to fifty nine record. There are the Tigers, even though they traded Terrek schouolbl and Casey miiz Away. There they are fifty six and fifty nine, three and a half games back of the White Sox and the Kansas City Royal still in last place twenty games will of five hundred, twelve games back of the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 5: So it's a big weekend for the White Sox as the Guardians come into town.
Speaker 6: But we do need to chat about what happened in Boston as we got a chance to see the new guys the White Sox acquired a trade and enjoining me on this edition to Soxs Machine Live, a Sox Machines Beat Reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolis. And hello gents and James, I'll start with you again. The new guys joining the Chicago White Sox shortly after the trade deadline again Luis Castillo, hu Escar Brazobon, Joey Bart and Bren Doyle. And of a lot of tension on Louis Castillo because he was the big fish at the trade deadline. He only goes four innings in his start last night, gives up five and runs on six hits.
Speaker 5: He did strike out five, only walked.
Speaker 6: One, but he only threw seventy one pitches, and I guess that is where I want to start James, because I really felt like the whole point of the White Sox acquiring Luis Castillo at the trade deadline is to help with the starting rotation and to help give it depth and to take on some of those innings. But if Castillo only goes seventy one pitches, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the White Sox acquiring him.
Speaker 7: Sure, I don't think it was a pitch count limitation issue. I think it's kind of what my concern was when the underlying argument was, you know he can more stably provide bulk innings, is that if he's ineffective, he's not going to go that deeply. His last four starts for the Mariners before he got traded, we're all ninety plus in terms of pitch count. It's simply like this guy struggle with the second times of the order. He didn't have consistently effective secondaries. You know, he kind of until the eighth hitter was like dictating the tempo, which is like a lively fastball, but then didn't have like this big counter move when the second turns of the order, was getting knocked around, and why do you sign up for a third trips to the order, which then is the fundamental issue you were ducking with Fetti where you were just giving him this hard out two times of the order overall. But Castillo certainly has the capacity to go longer and deeper into games. But if he's struggling and they don't have the you know, kind of adjustment necessary to hit him back to his best best self, then yeah, there's gonna be shorter outings because he's given up five runs. He had a couple I thought, especially the sliders to you know, the one that Wong hit out and the one in Monsterio doubled on obviously wasn't like hit incredibly hard, but wasn't a bat missing slider.
Speaker 2: We're pretty located well, located low.
Speaker 7: And away from right handed hitters and still got hit, which kind of reflects the larger reality of him looking over at his numbers before it comes on where the sliders with weare is way down. The change up isn't like a major factor that you see him like getting through outings with, and so like, yeah, he still has this you know, four seamer two seamer like mix that's both like ninety five plus that looks pretty, you know, imposing, but in terms of showing people a different look that's really effective. You know, he hasn't had that consistently over the course of the season, and if he doesn't do that, then yeah, he won't get through six innings very easily, uh, with like leads intact. So I don't think it's like necessarily like man, they're going to be giving putting him like four or five and dive every time out with their intention. But if they don't get him right, that's you know, effectively what they still have. So yeah, it doesn't serve the purpose if he's not good.
Speaker 6: Sure, I just wonder is this a situation that maybe from top to the manager's office, can you just have Castillo pitch ninety pitches like that? That's not a White Sox thing, right, They're not Chris Gets is not going to mandate that you must have Luis Castillo eat.
Speaker 5: Five innings or more every single outing.
Speaker 7: I think Gets gives enable admirable certainly in twenty twenty six level of leeway to try to manage the window game. I think point Luis Cassill, you give up five runs and four inings. Is trying to win the game, not a you know, we need a certain sort of length to manage what we need or get return on our investments of decision.
Speaker 6: Got it okay, So it's a bummer that Luis Castillo didn't eat up any innings. Things went really sideways for the White Sox late in that game, simply just because they ran out of bench guys and they were running out of pitchers going into extra innings. Eric Fetty and Chris Murphy had to pitch in the game, and if they got into the fourteenth inning, I have no idea Jim who would.
Speaker 5: Have pitched for the White Sox.
Speaker 6: But for all these new guys, the White Sox got some bad luck as Joey Bart was hit in the hand and he has pretty much a fractured knuckle, so he's going to miss some time.
Speaker 5: And it's been.
Speaker 6: Reported that Egar Carro is going to be rejoining the White Sox. So before the deadline, I was worried about the White Sox catching situation.
Speaker 5: It's Drew Romo and Edgar Carro.
Speaker 6: A couple of games later, guess what, it's Drew Romo and Edgar Carrow thanks to some bad injury luck. So what do you make of the White Sox catching situation and the brief time that we saw Joey Bart with the White Sox.
Speaker 1: It almost feels like they need to trade Drew Romo just to get away from this cycle where they keep going back and forth with a potential solution they think will rectify their underwater catching mix. Like they had Kyle Teal come back and then he lasted nineteen games and then got hurt again with the high ankle sprain, and then you had Joey Bart come in, and expectations weren't anywhere close for Bart as they were for Teal, Like this was not a this is going to be the beat that the lineup needs, and he kind of presses behind the plates with the athleticism to catch and throw and call games. This is more Joey Bart is fine. We're not going to demand too much from Joey Bart. This is clearly a stop gap situation, And even with expectations muted, and even with Romo figuring that he's still going to be part of the mix, they still end up where they started or where they've been for most of the season with Romo and Caro over and over and over again, and so it you know, man plans and God laughs. And it certainly seems like a a Twilight Zone type situation of just no matter how many doors he enter, no matter how many corners he turn, you end up in the same room looking at the same thing. And uh, yeah, it's certainly the pressure is I guess the way you look at it, the pressure is either off or on. Either pressure is off because they did what they could. And so it's Romo and Caro and you kind of shrug. You get what you get, no matter the efforts, and it's just the way the season unfolds or the pressure is on, and that's uh. You know, Caro was supposed to be somebody this year, and they've shown with the playing time allocations, no matter how poorly Romo has hits that they preferred him behind the plates, you know, catching two out of three or two out of four every series. And it seems like Romo's bat has been you know, barely tenable or untenable depending on how much everybody else is hit. So it does seem like this particular road does go through Edgar Carrow at least a little bit as much as the White Sox have been trying to resist it.
Speaker 6: Drew Roma did throw out two base runners filling in for Joey Bart in Thursday's loss. I thought that was pretty impressive by Romo. The Red Sox were not afraid to test the White Sox in this series as far as it stolen base attempts, so I thought that was impressive by Roman to come in and be able to throw a couple of runners out. But yeah, offensively, not much at all. You could read socks Machines Month in a box that Jim does every month recap July, and the production from the catcher perspective for the White Sox definitely was not approving as the season progressed until Kyle Teal was in the lineup. But even with Teal in the lineup, Teal was still breaking off a lot of Russ, So it really comes. The White Sox just seemed to be spinning in circles right now with the catching position until somebody gets healthy, either Kyle Teel or Joey Bart James. We haven't heard as far as how extensive this injury is for Joey Bart right we don't know how long he's going to be missing time.
Speaker 2: They have not provided an estimate.
Speaker 7: We know it's specifically he broke a fifth metatarsal, and we can confirm that Carol's getting called up, so it's clearly a roster move. But no, we've not been given a timeline on it yet.
Speaker 6: All Right, I guess to to wrap up as far as what happened against Boston, what do you guys make of what the Red Sox have done? It is Jim the last thirty six games, a thirty one to five record, I think, and rightfully so White Sox fans are just throwing their hands up, be like, hey, everyone's losing to Boston. So this isn't something to be really concerned about. I mean, Boston just went into Dodger Stadium and swept the Los Angeles Dodgers after they had a big trade deadline. So what do you make of the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 1: It feels like they don't necessarily of the outcome based on Craig Breslo, the kind of dysfunction we've heard about, especially with Alex Cora. This it doesn't seem earned based on the kind of harmony you see from like other front offices like the White Sox for example, kind of the ideal communication between Chris gets well aventable, it's all going great, Red Sox teem would be the opposite of that. So if you want a healthy results stemming from that healthy process, you would think that this is not the ideal situation or anything you want to emulate as an organization. But watching them play, certainly the pitching has been there for a while. They have a pretty deep talented pitching staff to where they're able to trade pitching for Curtis meat, like they have the rare surplus to deal away from even if it's like a controversial return with meat and then meat gets hurt. So I guess, you know, Bart is like a little bit of you know, balance in the universe because they'd lost a guy after two games because of a hit by pitch and now the White Sox do as well. Deliath though, is just impressive and it is like a classic Boston feel without necessarily the marquee talent like the household names, just in terms of how hard they make pitchers work, like Sean Burke. We've seen Burke like in this version of him where he doesn't necessarily have the best breaking ball command, but like either fastball command gets them through or a curve ball command gets them through. But he can get by with one pitch leading the way and get enough from the other ones to get through five to six with fairly low pitch count. But this is a case where he had pretty good fastball command. But even though he was getting ahead of the counts like he was doing okay, just a lot of foul balls, a lot of two out hits to extend innings, to rack it up. And so yeah, I think one through nine, you know, maybe towards the eight and nine it gets a little bit thin. But they just have a lineup that's in the classic Red Sox since when they were you kind of moneyball with money you know, with iobp guys and power guys and guys who could take advantage of Fenway Parks dimensions. Just a really tough lineup to get through. Even when the pitch command is okay, like even guys are ex keeping pitches, it's still twenty pitch innings and then twenty pitch intings times two, twenty pitch inning times three, and then all of a sudden you do have to go with a bullpen earlier than you want.
Speaker 5: James, what do you make of the Red Sox toward run.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: It makes no sense to me. The pitching has been good all season, like Jim said, but you know, from what they're doing offensive, I thought, like William A. Brady has been better than his numbers this season, so to see him like, you know, kind of be unstoppable, that makes sense. But earlier this year, if he took Wilson Contrez out of this lineup, like they wouldn't do anything. And now it's seeing like the White Sox just be completely unable to get Andrew Montstereo out or any Siegler or Nick Soguard, you know, just being giving them like great at bats all throughout, Like is this a team wide heater? Like certainly they've got Caleb Durban back a lot better for him than he was first in half, or like did they really need to fire their hitting coach? And they did the right thing by overhauling their coaching staff to some degree. I don't know, but it's kind of surrealed. Like Connor Wong was someone that, like the whole fan base wanted to throw out of an airplane last year because it was like how he's hitting league average again, which to be fair, like Connor Wong was like looked like a decent hitting catcher earlier in his career and maybe last year is really the aberration. But like it's a lot of like they're all their role players just being on ten offensively in a way that like this was supposed to be the weakness of the team is like the lack of after the lineup and instead you're getting guys who probably weren't in their plan A. It's like they have like four Tristan Peters first Afterstan Peters, like in their lineup right now, who guys like yeah, the bones of like a decent role player in there, we're maybe always in there. But why why are they all like mashing to unstoppable degrees right at this moment? Obviously, like the first half of the season shows that the kid doesn't work all the time, and we overact those small sample stuff all the time.
Speaker 2: But it was really incredible just the degree to.
Speaker 7: Like an offense that doesn't seem like they should be at the height of their powers, you know, with no contrast, no Roman Anthony, just the only people who can get them out on the Sox staff is like Sean Berke working extremely hard, Grant Taylor working extremely hard, and like one pretty good Brian Hudson innings. It's been kind of freaky, so right now they certainly look like and it was. It's not an it's not a hard al to quickly rise up the hierarchy of but it looked like top three in the AL at the moment pretty easily. And if you are skeptical at Aaron Judge coming back, you could probably convince yourself or you know you worry about like the the role player bottom half of the Rais offense, you can probably convince yourself to move them up a certain spot in the archy from that top three as well.
Speaker 6: That's a good point. James, like if to do the power rankings, which Buster Oldney kind of went a little viral on baseball social media when they were trying to power rank the top five American League teams, and he had Seattle in the mix.
Speaker 5: Cleveland. I think he listed to them as number one.
Speaker 6: It's not looking good for both Busters power rankings, but I do feel like I wonder if Boston is now the team to beat in the American League, even though the season were to end the day they're the fifth seed, like they would start the postseason on the road, but to make up as much ground as they have. They were fourteen and a half games back the Yankees before this tour run. Now they're just a half game back. They're definitely in the race of the American League East. That division is now a true three team race between the Rays, Yankees, and Red Sox, and whoever finished his third is going to have to start the postseason on the road. Boston has really made this American League very interesting and it does not matter as far as the quality of the team. They just destroy everyone in their path. So for White Sox fans trying to find some solace of what happened this week in Boston, there you go. Everyone's in the same boat right now when they're going up against the mighty Red Sox. We're going to take a quick break for our word from our sponsors. But after the break, we're going to be reviewing the critical series this weekend in Chicago as the Cleveland Guardians visited the Chicago White Sox in an American League Central showdown.
Speaker 5: Next on The Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 1: Todd Father, are you hitting some games this summer?
Speaker 8: What's the deal, of course, it's real simple, Scotty Brawn, You know how it is. You go to seat geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family, that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it.
Speaker 1: It's the best opportunity.
Speaker 9: To go see a beautiful game of baseball, and that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea Gek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea gek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events.
Speaker 1: So go check it out right now.
Speaker 10: FTFAM the code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: I'm with Chicago Shortstop Call some Montgomery. You're known as team first. Yeah, I've always worked.
Speaker 1: Hard for the team rather than myself.
Speaker 3: Hike, get it if you've been injured. My team is here to help. Call three one two six million internal on me personal that second law.
Speaker 6: And like I mentioned, the Cleveland Guardians now visit Chicago. The Guardians are fifty seven and fifty nine on the season. They've lost their last three games, again being swept by the New York Mets at home.
Speaker 5: In their last ten. The Guardians are slipping.
Speaker 6: They are three and seven away from Cleveland, though they've been playing a lot better. They're twenty nine to twenty eight this season in road games. You're bitching brables for this series Friday night. This is a first pitch time of six forty pm Central Time. Also, jaw Rule is going to be having a postgame concert. Parker Mestik will take the ball for the Guardians against Noah Schultz Saturday. This is a national broadcast. It will be on Fox. As will be Gavin Williams taking the ball for the Guardians against Anthony k for the White Sox. Saturday is also Asie Gean's jersey retirement ceremony. That retirement ceremony if you are attending the game on Saturday is slated to start at five point fifteen pm Central Time, So a very big celebration on Saturday at raid Field. Also, Soxx Machine will be having our twentieth anniversary tail gate. We'll talk more about that in this stream, and then on Sunday at one ten pm Central Time, Joey Contillo will take the ball for the Guardians, first time he'll be facing the White Sox this season, and Davis Martin the Dart will take.
Speaker 5: The ball for the Chicago White Sox. And like I mentioned, this is a.
Speaker 6: Very big series for the White Sox and also for the Guardians. I think I feel like there's a lot of pressure James on the Guardians coming to this series.
Speaker 5: Especially when reading this.
Speaker 6: Morning, a lot of Guardians outlets feel like Cleveland really dropped the ball here, especially with the White Sox having a tough series against Boston to make up no ground. If Cleveland stumbles again and the White Sox were to sweep the Guardians, the White Sox clinched this season series, so that's another typebreaker that Cleveland will lose. But from a White Sox perspective, with just how tax the bullpen is after this series against Boston and a late night having to fly back home from Boston. This is a big game for Noah Schultz, so this is a great time for him to have the best game of his young career.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: It's never a bad time to have best end of your career. So sure, I suppose like if he had the best game of his career like second week of spring training, that would seem like a waste, But then we'd probably do a whole podcast segment about whether he should be the opening starter, and that would provide us a week of content.
Speaker 2: So never a bad time. That said, you know.
Speaker 7: His last start against the Rays certainly looked, you know, shortless contender for his best in the major leagues in terms of you know, strike throwing, getting weak round balls the way that you know, kind of looked like himself and the miners. And you heard him post game kind of reiterating that he felt like he was pitching the way that he did when he was successful to the miners, working east west, you know, getting the cutter or the new sinker in on right hands and then playing the cutter off of that, you know, only really you know, getting working right handers in, so they could then throw change ups off the outer edge of the plate withs off that like he did the Junior Campanaro. He he he's asserted himself like I'm an east west pitcher. That's where I'm best is something he was saying, you know, post game after that, and with the Guardians being a lefty heavy lineup, you would think that this is an opportunity where he could do that successfully. It's usually more opposite handed hitters that you know, he gets stressed on that he needs to work vertically or pop the four seamer in to be viable. You would think against a lot of if the likes of like Stephen Kwan or I don't even know if the Guardians will play like Nathaniel Lowe against them, like these are guys he could kind of go to the width of the plate on work sinkers inside, throw kind of the maybe the more east west sweeper against and be effective. You know, the Guardians don't necessarily until Jose Ramirez is up and running and functioning and you know, looking as dangerous as old self, don't have a ton of right handed weapons, uh to really counter him or scare him.
Speaker 2: With that said, they just.
Speaker 7: Traded for Joe Odell, who a flawed hitter but certainly a powerful one. And I don't want to batch his name because I think he's really good. But they just called up anal Leanou, who I think is going to be the bane of the existence of this part of town for probably next you know, it's the Guardian. So let's say four to five years before he gets too pricey in a arbitration. But he's someone who could be interesting in the series for sure, even though it's like, I don't know his third, fourth and fifth career game, so maybe maybe some reasonable expectations there, and also some ground ball tendencies that you know, Schultz look to exploit to some degree. But yeah, Schultz needs length. Hey, talking about someone like you're not sure how long they let him go even when things are running more so than Louis Castillo. Is Schultz that you know you haven't seen, like get pushed to one hundred pitches or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Does he do that?
Speaker 7: If he gets through five six innings without much damage when you don't have really much to turn through the bullpen besides me, be you know, Sean Newcomb or backspack days from Jordan Hicks or Brian Hudson, which probably is limited to an inning.
Speaker 2: That'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 7: But you would think this is I haven't checked the numbers today, but a lot of this season the Guardians have spent being the worst scoring offense in the league. This would be a nice time for Schultz, who seems like he should match up well if things are functioning to kind of exploit that.
Speaker 6: So then on the flip side, Jim, because of the uncertainty when it comes to the White Sox bullpen and their usage, We're assuming Sean Newcomb could be available for the White Sox today, but they are a tired group. This would be a great weekend as well for the White Sox offense to duplicate what he did on Thursday against Boston, which has put up a bunch of runs, to at least build up that margin of air for White Sox pitchers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a tough slate of pitchers to do that against, with Messick and Williams and Cantillo. But what going through the last month in month in a box for July, it was kind of fascinating in terms of run differential. They were well in the black run scored. They were top half in the league terms of ops or you know, w RC plus the slash line. They were bottom ten offense, and I think that reflects maybe what you're seeing when it comes to the White Sox when when they're on, they can score runs in bunches, they can get to a bullpen early, they can they ca them throw position players put the game away when it's not working. A lot of close games, a lot of you know, innings where they have to rely on a walk and hit by a pitch and try to string together, you know, three at bats in a row and it doesn't quite work, and they have a bad performance runners, scoring position because all these plate appearances are so hard won. So it's a part of the season I think where you know, we spent last few days since the trade deadline talking about the White Sox approach and getting right handed bats, but maybe not right handed bats that are infant solutions like Brenton Doyle seems like a project. Joey Bart before he got hurt, was not somebody expected a whole lot from and this could be a series with Mesic and Cantillo going from left side to where you feel like, maybe did they do enough against lefties? Are they still this kind of lineup that with sam an't nacchia, with Kristan Peters being the second half version who's not offering a whole lot and needing a whole lot of Luis on Helicunya, and you have your coolson Montgomery being better against lefties and kind of needing that weird mix. Do they have enough against lefties to you know, routinely compete or not have to rely on great pitching performances, a great bullpen performances to gut games out. So yeah, it's a series where the Guardians offensive struggled all year, but the White Sox haven't looked great as of late. So you know, I think all the games but one so far this season have been sided by one run with the White Sox and Guardians, and the lone exception was a two run game. And it does feel like one way or another, be it's like a couple of disappointing starting performances from each side or just lack of offense throughout that it could be more of the same of just low scoring, close games that make both fan bases terearor their hair outs.
Speaker 6: And that's exactly what the White Sox need, right, especially after Thursday night Jim another cut wrenching game.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, we've heard a lot about how Trevor Richards will take the ball at any point, like this would be a game I give you pitches today, just like let's test that. Let's test how much you want to pitch. Trevor Richards. I'm gonna need two more from me again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when they're up fifteen to one, right, that's fine, they're a fifty to one.
Speaker 5: Netting to eight sitting, I'll be I'll be fine.
Speaker 6: But Saturday again, big day for the Chicago White Sox. Ozzie Dean will have his jersey retirement ceremony. We ad Sox Machine will be celebrating our twentieth anniversary as well.
Speaker 5: Will provide a little bit more.
Speaker 6: Details of what we're going to be doing this weekend on the South Side Chicago on Friday and Saturday, but that Saturday broadcast, being a national broadcast, will be on Fox and MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox one. The Race October starts now and Fox one has your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season. Long follow every camp miss matchup as team's battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox one at home or on the go live or on demand, Never miss a moment stream now start your Fox one three day free trial today at foxwe dot com. And with that game being on Fox, big pitching matchup for Cleveland, They're going to have Gavin Williams, one of their aces that lead that staff very impressive arsenal against White Sox hitters. So I ask you, guys, with that big matchup White Sox Hitters against Gavin Williams, James Vegan, who who is your pick to click to have a successful game against Gavin Williams on Fox.
Speaker 7: I would like maybe less so a pick to click as a hey, they really need this to succeed. But I'm going to talk to Murakami is slugging six twenty one against for Steamers this season. He also misses them a ton because he misses everything a ton, that's the nature of his swing.
Speaker 2: But Gavi Williams is a big, you know, forcing guy.
Speaker 7: You know he uses a sweeper a bit more, which Murakami doesn't do great against. But you don't see a ton of like right handers using sweepers against left anders in a way where like I think the big challenge is, like is the strength versus strength, Whether he can kind of get on top and drive you know, sweeper force seamers from Gavin Williams, who obviously throws extremely hard, is part of it more than really even the shape of his four steamer uh And Murkami has been one of the most productive hitters against uh you know, ninety five plus in the league. Again, not because he makes contact with it at a particularly high rate. It's a rather low one, but he tends to do a lot when he does so. With Cleveland's offense, with their preference to low scoring games, a couple of big swings for Murakami can go a long way. Figurdaiblian Literally, this would seem like as far as like right handed for steamers, much more so than maybe Colson Montgomery. He's swing his shape to take advantage of Murakami. Seems like the guy to do something against Agains Williams if they're going to do something, all.
Speaker 6: Right, So James Lakes Murkammi Jim, who is your fake to click against Gavin Williams on.
Speaker 1: Fox at the risk of simply going to the hottest hitter, Chase Madro last twenty five games is a three hundred and four hundred, five hundred hitter in terms of his slash line. Really seems like he's coming to his own, you know, when you look at his triple A profile, great platess plan, a lot of walks, not a lot of strikeouts, working deep counts, showing a little bit of pop. Seemed like when he got to the majors, pitchers didn't necessarily respect the power enough to not attack him, and so you saw the strikeouts take up, the walks tick down, and then he's just more of an ordinary bat with a good glove at second base, but somebody who might need platoon help or might need to be replaced at some point, be more of a utility guy. But yeah, last twenty five games, we saw it in Boston, just pulling the ball in the air to left field. Williams is not somebody who kills Righty's as alrighty. He's more of even splits, or he's not especially a weapon against righty. So perhaps midrath his current form where he just looks like he's locked in and really the best version of himself when it comes to bringing pitchers towards him and driving the ball. It's certainly a tall asked for him to keep it going against the pitcher Williams caliber, but in this current form he's doing as much as anybody right now to do that.
Speaker 5: My pick to click is Miguel Vargas.
Speaker 6: Vargas has the most success against Gavin Williams in the White Sox lineup. Miguel Vargas is four for eight in his career against Gavin Williams with a home run. If you're also looking for any other type of success for White Sox hitters, Andrew Benattendi does have one hit against Gavin Williams, but that was a big hit.
Speaker 5: As he drove in three RBIs. It would be a tough test for the White Sox.
Speaker 6: But again, Guardians White Sox Saturday at six to ten pm Central Time on Fox or you can watch the game on foxone dot com. And the other big game for the White Sox is on Sunday. And the reason why this is a big game is because James, I think for White Sox fans and I think that this is a fair concern. Is what is going on with Davis Martin and his last starts. At seven starts, Davis Martin has only pitched thirty four in a third innings. It is a six point five to five earned run average with just twenty strikeouts to fourteen walks. It feels like this is a big.
Speaker 5: Start for Martin.
Speaker 6: There was a talk about him tipping pitches, possibly in his last outing against Boston. So I ask you, James, what should White Sox fans expect from Davis smart on Sunday against Cleveland.
Speaker 7: I don't know, man, I think I flipped a question to you to what games do you think are not big games?
Speaker 2: Because it seems like we don't.
Speaker 6: Well, every game is from now on for the White Sox. Yes, is a big game.
Speaker 5: Yes, maybe maybe not the.
Speaker 6: Ones against Cincinnati so much, but this one definitely carries more weight.
Speaker 7: So he sounds like, you know, he felt that there was a tip that they identified against the Red Sox, not that it like you know, fixing on the fly got him, you know, through six innings, frankly, Red Sox against White Sox, like everybody's tipping to a degree. Martin said that, you know, at the All Star break, you know, he was irritated with the level of walks and the kind of like horizontal misses he was having, and that's that's what he went to back to pitching her works in Oklahoma City, tiring out to be in the zone more often. Running an article about that right before or he you know, gave up six runs in the first inning set me up to be epically clowned on social media app But that's that's life.
Speaker 2: He was in the zone.
Speaker 7: What's kind of concerned me with both that outing and hasn't necessarily been addressed by him getting the zone more, is that, like at his peak, when he was dominating may you were seeing more of the spikes of upper nineties and seeing like a couple outings where he like, I want to say, like Angels and I would definitely want to say the Cubs one where he looked like really like next level in terms of his stuff. You were seeing him like average ninety five with his fastball in his outings, and more recently it's in that ninety three territory where you know he's thrown some singers in ninety one. It's just like not seeing like the upper tier of his Velocity band very frequently. And yeah, that feels like a simplistic and crude way to like generalize, And I'm sure he'd talk about how more pitching execution is like what's really important at the end of the day. But like there's a pretty strong correlation between you know, just being more hit able even when you're locating and just like not seeing the velocity you know that he's he's touted at times and having to be a bit more fine against teams you know they can really have thunder. Now maybe the Guardians are as well as the Blue Jays were out of the break, are kind of a welcome exemption from that to some degree where he can get soft contact or get more you know contact, he can work around a bit more. But in terms of like a guy who everyone was talking about, like at least in terms of coaching staff and managing him, like always he's racked up a lot of innings in the first half, or we want to give him like a break at the All Star break, seeing like his velo kind of tail off as he heads into like kind of the upper bounds of like innings he's handled before in a season. You wonder, like, is that something that can be addressed through mechanics. Is that something that can shape up with time or is that something that like he's going to have to like work around. And it looks more like the David Martin of the past two years, which is like a reliable back end starter, but you know, someone who you know, really has to be on his game and can't get away with as many mistakes or just challenge guys as aggressively as he was doing in the first half of the season, where it just seemed like he had picked up to a new level things like this turn. You know, Sean Burke obviously started throwing harder midseason by finding a mechanical thing, and you know.
Speaker 2: If Martin was able to do that, that could be a game changer.
Speaker 7: But like until we see something else or a better sampled or we just get fooled by you know him, you know, flattening a terrible offense and convinced he's fixed. H It's kind of like all right, that that's kind of the thing I have my eye on as far as like can he tick up results wise until before this ticks up or finds some other thing that you know, gets him an edge that gets them back to you know, the career best performance he was doing in the first two months of the season.
Speaker 5: No, that's good stuff, James.
Speaker 6: So that's something to watch for for those that are watching the video or listening to the podcast recording for Davis Morning, especially with this heater on Sunday. But to wrap up as far as this episode, Jim, I feel like this weekend is also going to be a good test for.
Speaker 5: Will Venable the manager.
Speaker 6: Not the best situation that he's coming into your team is exhausted, a gut wrenching loss, and now they have to fly back home. And I'm sure they don't need a lot of motivation to get up and get ready to take on the Cleveland Guardians. But I do feel like this is a good test on how you try to manage as far as the roster and get their heads straight and trying to not to use a pagrickrifall term, but flush out what happened in Boston and start a new in Chicago. So I'm curious to see on how Will Venable and the White Sox react this weekend against the Guardians at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bet theme. At least early in the season first half in the White Sox had such a home heavy success, you know, win percentage, and they would go on the road trip, lose both series, come back to Chicago and think as the bottom gonna fall out. Is this the ruts that kind of sinks them under five hundred and sure enough we are into August and they still haven't lost four games in a row. I'll be tested tonights. They have another three game losing streak. But they've been in this position before, and we've seen the White Sox talk about they're not struggling. They you know they're gonna lose three games in a row over the course of the season. There's not going to be this kind of slump that encompasses the whole team. You're not going to see this team get down. You're gonna see Mike Vassal waves wand and you're going to see another breakoup performance. Everybody is more or less back where they need to be. And then they win like both home series and they finished another month with the winning record. So we've seen the White Sox in this position before. I think this is the most extreme straits they've been in in terms of just how guessed they should be based on Pitcher's usage, based on the way the Red Sox put them through the ringer the way the White Sox have to use every pitcher and Eric Fetty and extra innings, so this will be tested. If they do win tonight, then yeah, I guess they're never gonna lose four games in a row the rest of the season. You can more or less just try to figure out, like how many games they win in between three game losing streaks. But yeah, I think they're due for one four game skin, maybe even five, like every team does it. So if they lose tonight's say, like not the worst thing in the world. I think they probably have to have a game at some point this weekend where they might have to use a reliever they don't want to use in a certain situation to get through, have to take a bet or a gamble on somebody, need to hope that they can get a score listening when maybe you wouldn't want Sony pitching the seventh or eighth of a Winter Run game. But yeah, they've certainly been this position before, and they've more or less mocked fans who are ready or sports radio wherever you want to say is reacting or overreacting to brush themselves off. So yeah, certainly attest to the resilience.
Speaker 6: They play so well at home this season, especially like on Friday and Saturday nights. They really amplify as far as their.
Speaker 5: Game when the stadium is packed, and it's going to be a very packed rate Field over the weekend.
Speaker 6: Saturday's game is completely sold out, not just tickets but also parking as well. It could be close to forty thousand fans on Saturday. It's going to be more than thirty five thousand on Friday. So if the White Sox bats jump out quick, if Noah Schultz can lock it down, Rate Field could be rocking this weekend. And that's exciting for us because before this season started, we picked the weekend that didn't have anything going on to celebrate our twentieth anniversary at Socks Machiet and.
Speaker 5: Lo and Behold.
Speaker 6: As the season progressed, it became one of the most popular weekends of the season. That wasn't our intention. But if you are in Chicago and many of you are visiting the outside this weekend to hang out with us, we greatly appreciate it. But if you're just hearing this for the first time in the live stream, we are celebrating our twentieth anniversary this weekend. We're going to be starting tonight four PM's Central time at the Removie Theater Beer Garden that's off thirty fifth and Halstead. It's also right across the street from Electric Funeral. We might be stopping over there as well, so a mini bar crawl before getting to the stadium. It's sweet night for our Sox Machine Veterans Committee, so be great hanging out with our VC members and our friends.
Speaker 5: And then Saturday we're going to be hosting a pregame tailgate.
Speaker 6: And right now the parking lot is going to open at four to fifteen PM's Central time.
Speaker 5: First Bitches schedule, that's six point fifteen.
Speaker 6: Ozzy Gean's retirement jersey ceremony is scheduled for five fifteen, so it's not a very large window, so if you're using ride share or public transportation to get in rate field. We'll have our tailgate spot set up at three forty five pm Central time. We'll have some beer, there'd be some high noon, there'll be some bubbly as we celebrate the twentieth anniversary. I got cupcakes, Jim so I promise cake and there'll be cake at the tailgate, but again, lot eat and follow us on social media as you'll get more news as well. In case of the White Sox, dude change anything as far as their plans and making the parking lots open or if they decide to open the gates earlier to get as many fans in the stadium as possible to.
Speaker 5: Watch Ozzie's retirement ceremony. So can't wait to.
Speaker 6: See everybody and that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast being live stream and again, this is a video podcast now, so please subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. If you can't watch the video and you just want to listen to us, you can listen to us wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify.
Speaker 5: And Apple Music. Follow us on social media.
Speaker 6: We're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. James will be at the games this weekend covering them for us. You can follow him at j rfigan. We're expecting White Sox journal manager Chrisquetz to speak to the media free games, so definitely follow him on social media to get the latest updates, and you can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh and if you enjoy your work and win full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox and Major League Baseball. Sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber at Soxmachine dot com slash Products. We're still running our first month sale that's based in the White Sox winning percentage, and then afterwards it's just five dollars a month, so take advantage of that sale.
Speaker 5: Go to soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today.
Speaker 6: The sox Machine Live is a production of Soxmachine dot com. You're on for all of thing in Chicago White Sox Baseball.
Speaker 5: I'm part of the Foul.
Speaker 6: Territory Network alongside Jim margo Us and James Vegan.
Speaker 5: I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for watching and listening.
Speaker 1: M