Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Wednesday, June eighteenth. Today is day twenty sixth of the sixth week of testimony in the Diddy trial, and jurors keep making headlines. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: We continue to be your.
Speaker 1: One stop shop to keep you updated on everything going on in the Diddy trial and Robes. I say, it's to day twenty sixth of testimony. But lo and behold, as we sit here, there will not be testimony today because.
Speaker 2: Of a juror.
Speaker 3: That's right, and it's not the juror that we thought might be causing all of the headlines. Initially, we were expecting that the judge may make his decision about Juror number seven, that's the second juror that potentially could have been removed from the jury because he was alleged to have been discussing the case with a work colleague. And so we didn't hear about that juror. Instead, we heard about a sick juror.
Speaker 1: Sick, like of all the things I was anticipating, today, no testimony. They will not have a day of the Diddy trial today because a juror is sick. Now I immediately thought, well, wait, what the hell.
Speaker 2: There's been so much.
Speaker 1: Weird stuff going on, so I thought something might be out something else strange.
Speaker 2: But this is pretty serious. If anybody has had.
Speaker 3: Vertigo, yes I've experienced it before. You have incredibly dizzy, you feel very nauseated. But the thing is, just because you have vertigo symptoms doesn't mean you have vertico. I mean, I'm imagining if you feel or if this juror felt that ill, or that unwell and that dizzy and nauseated, that juror probably needs to go to the doctor, maybe even the emergency room to rule out other more serious conditions, because that could be something much more significant. And so because of that, the judge even said in court today, I mean everyone was there, everyone showed up, they were all waiting. They're going to have to inquire further about the condition of this juror because is this a one time event, is this a today only issue, or is this something more serious going forward? Does this juror will this juror need to be ultimately replaced?
Speaker 4: Wow, for testimony to resume, we.
Speaker 1: Are talking now robes about the potential for now three of the twelve jurors who started in the Ditty trial might end up off the jury and three alternates put in that could change the demographics. It could change this makeup drastically.
Speaker 2: And who knows what.
Speaker 1: We know one black guy has been replaced by a white guy. We know that defense was fighting tooth and nail trying to keep that black guy who was a nineties hip hop fan on.
Speaker 2: I wonder why.
Speaker 1: But still this is just incredible to me now and the juror to your point. And look, if anybody I haven't had vertigo, I've been around people with it.
Speaker 2: It's debilitating.
Speaker 3: You can't function, No, you actually can't walk, you can't fund look straight. And again, for me, the nausea was so bad. I've had it twice in my life and the only thing that helped it was to take some dramamine, which usually knocks you out and makes you tired. But again, I really think unless this juror is someone who has experienced this multiple time in their lives, is going to have to do some further investigating as to what and why they're actually going through this.
Speaker 4: And we don't know anything about this.
Speaker 3: Juror, male, female, black, white, I don't I didn't see any details about specifically who this juror was they I.
Speaker 2: Give a juror number right when they were talking about on this one.
Speaker 3: We know duror number seven is potentially hanging in the balance.
Speaker 4: Durre number six is off. We don't know what number juror this one is.
Speaker 1: And again this is relevant for a number of reasons, as we just explained, But the one we haven't talked about yet is how big of a deal it is because of timing throughout. We're in week six and I think Robes, I go back to week two or some very early on when the prosecution said, hey, we are ahead of schedule. They've been talking about this for a while. We are doing good. We're ahead of schedule. We're going to be done this week. They told us last week they thought they were going to be done today, even that the prosecution was going to rest, if not today, they said on Friday. So now where do we find ourselves? Robes, no core today and it's June teenth tomorrow. They were already scheduled to be off, So they're missing two full days of testimony. What's that going to do to the timeline? How's it going to push it? How much farther back?
Speaker 3: Now? Well, we know that the state. It's not the state the fence at the prosecution has three more witnesses to call, and one of them is a doozy.
Speaker 4: It's Brendan Paul.
Speaker 3: In fact, all the photographers outside the courtroom this morning got pictures of him coming into court.
Speaker 4: He came in ready to testify.
Speaker 3: This is probably the big last star ish witness for the prosecution. He was Ditty's personal assistant up until he was arrested. Correct or what was his timeline as to when he was Ditty's assistant in up to last years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was reason. But this is the guy a lot of people labeled as the drug mule.
Speaker 4: He's yes, that's a terrible aka the drug mule.
Speaker 3: But anytime you read about him in any publication, they refer to him as Ditty's drug mule, namely because he was a rest did around the same time did he was arrested after those raids on Ditty's mansions? And yes, he had drug charges hanging over his head. Those have all been removed. He is now not facing any charges and he is now testifying for the prosecution. I'm sure that is in exchange for testifying for the prosecution.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's gotten an immunity deal already. The judge grannam immunity yesterday. But to your point, Ropes, everybody was suited and booted.
Speaker 2: They were ready to go this.
Speaker 1: Morning, and this came kind of out of nowhere. So I don't know how much time. I mean, they went longer with a summary witness yesterday than they thought they would go. How much will they go? How far would they go with Brendan Paul. He seems to be a very important witness. I can't imagine it going quickly. So to our point about the timeline, now, we could be going into next week that the prosecution is still putting on its case and its witnesses. The defense wants two to five days. They're predicting that's how long they will take. So we were talking earlier this week that while the jury's going to have this case by next week, now it looks like that is not as likely of a scenario.
Speaker 3: I have read that it is unlikely and certainly almost impossible that the prosecution would wrap its case on Friday. They say it is absolutely going to bleed over into next week for all that they have to do and think about it.
Speaker 4: We talked about how dry.
Speaker 3: But important, but maybe kind of boring. These summary witnesses have been, so you don't want to end.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't imagine.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm no lawyer here, but I do understand wanting to leave with an impression or at least something that has the jury's thinking and remembering what they last heard from the prosecution's case. And so someone like Brandon Paul would be that person. So you want to make sure you give the jury something to remember with one of your final witnesses.
Speaker 1: One im I say, I totally forgot the other thing. They're out today unexpectedly, they're off tomorrow for Juneteenth, and they're only doing a half day on Friday because one of the jurors another jury issue. They're letting a juror go to a graduate. I think, well, that makes sense, that does, and that's not I'm actually really pleased to see that a court, a federal court, will grant that.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: But so this is a week that we thought we were going to see a lot of testimony. We're not getting as much as we thought.
Speaker 3: So the prosecution may go into Tuesday with that kind of a schedule, and they have three more witnesses, and one of them we know is going to be a big deal for the prosecution. And because it's a big deal for the prosecution, the defense obviously is going to want to take their turn with brend and Paul as well to try and undo any damage he may do to Ditty's case or to Ditty's defense at least. So I think most people think this, yeah, we and then so we're pushing up against the fourth of July now for the defense to rest.
Speaker 1: Again on Friday with the half day still. We've seen a lot of times they come into court and they're arguing about something before court even gets started.
Speaker 2: They've been one.
Speaker 1: Day, they went two hours, yes, before the jury even came in.
Speaker 3: Now, the court did take care of business this morning while they were trying to figure out what they were going to do with the juror, and they were going back and forth again while the jury wasn't there, taking advantage of that to try and figure out whether or not certain text messages were admissible. These text messages the prosecution wanted in I believe it was an exchange between Diddy and an alleged drug dealer. The defense did not want those text exchanges in. But as we're on the subject of text messages, we found out a lot and it wasn't necessarily even what the prosecution was putting forward with the summary witness going over text, but it was what the defense was able to do with that witness and getting the federal agent to describe text messages that the prosecution was skipping over was leaving out during the testimony understandably. So when you heard what those text messages were, this was.
Speaker 1: All about, Okay, I keep going to the Washington Posts because they called the testimony dry.
Speaker 2: Was the line that they just try.
Speaker 1: You have to do this is not the stuff you see in movies and on TV. They only show you the very exciting ima.
Speaker 4: You can't handle the true thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was more of a yes. On that date, he traveled from here to there. As you can see by the credit card statement. The invoice suggests that that's what they've been listening to for a full day.
Speaker 3: And they've been listening to baby oil and sex parties and mail as scords.
Speaker 4: So that is a big departure, big departure.
Speaker 1: So the defense, I excuse me, the prosecution who put this witness up has been trying to and has been going through, yes, a lot of that meticulous stuff, but also going through a lot of text message exchanges, again trying to bolster the claim that Cassie and others were not consensual partners in all this. Now, they used the prosecution some really damning text messages that Cassie was writing at the time. But the prosecution finishes up. The defense gets up there and starts asking about other text messages as well, and then ask the guy, Okay, you didn't why didn't you mention this one when the prosecution was talking to you. The point there being the defense got up there and used this witness to highlight a bunch of positive text messages in fact, that Cassie had sent to Diddy.
Speaker 2: We willes. I'm going to start here with what do you want to do? The good ones are the bad ones? First?
Speaker 4: Well, let's start.
Speaker 3: I always like the bad news first and then the good news at the end. But when we say bad news for Ditty, good news for Ditty, So whatever side of the venture on, I don't want to make it seem as though we're saying one's good ones.
Speaker 2: Using the ugly ones.
Speaker 3: We want to use the Let's start with the prosecution the prosecution had their witness read aloud some of these text exchanges that are very damning towards Diddy did He writes, Baby, I can't say it enough. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Now this yes, very important. I think you're about to say the same thing. This is all these we were talking about. Here are around that time of that video we've all seen now from the hotel in which he was dragging, beating, kicking Cassie in the hallway of the hotel. But these are some of the exchanges they were they shared about.
Speaker 3: That, and this is fascinating because this is in the aftermath of all of that. Yes, so, Cassie writes back, I still have crazy bruising from Friday. I would be a dummy to subject myself to that possibly happening again. When you get fucked up the wrong way, you always want to show me that you have the power and you knock me around. I'm not a rag doll. I'm someone's child.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: That is uh, that's a tough one, and I don't know. I say it's a tough one in that she recognized she didn't need to be where she was exactly, and she stayed and stayed. Look all reasons that Okay, please, nobody take what we just said there as us in some way blaming her, nothing like that. But she was aware, and it's very very she laid out the way all of us think when we saw.
Speaker 2: That video, how could you do this? She should never deal with him again.
Speaker 1: He must be out of his mind. And this is somebody's child. She is not your place. That we all have the same and her line, I would be crazy to subject myself to.
Speaker 3: That again, and I and honestly that it makes you feel. It's very relatable because she's acknowledging it. She knows it deep down, she knows that it's wrong. She knows that she shouldn't continue to put herself in his.
Speaker 4: Path basically, so to speak.
Speaker 3: But she loves him, or she needs him, or she felt like she was financially.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's the prost without him coursed co worst.
Speaker 3: Yes, So Cassie also texted him this around the same time. Nothing good comes out of freak offs anymore. You treat me like Ike Turner's.
Speaker 1: Again, another damning message that they went through exactly.
Speaker 3: And then the final fairly damning text that she wrote to Ditty And we all know about this because we've heard testimony around this big movie premiere that she had in the days following the beating that we saw.
Speaker 4: On that video.
Speaker 3: She writes to Ditty, I have a premiere Monday for the biggest thing I have ever done in my life.
Speaker 4: I have a black and a fat lip.
Speaker 3: You are sick for thinking it's okay to do what you have done.
Speaker 1: To read her words are chilling in the moment. These text messages are i mean, ten plus years old. Yeah, that's just chilling to you know what you hear in these At least she sounds calm, She seems reasonable, she seems clear about what's happening and what she needs to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so you hear that. The jury's thinking, wow, okay, the prosecution is bolstering its case. I'm hearing from Cassie from ten years ago to your point where this isn't her remembering it or reflecting on it. This was her in the moment, And they're damning. But then the defense says, hey, I think you missed a few texts, and has the witness read texts that sound very different.
Speaker 1: All this was about is to from the prosecution side, you're trying to convince the jury like, here is all of it evidence that he paid for this stuff and she was being manipulated by him. The defense's job is to show that she's a willing participant in all of this. And so yeah, they go through the text message that prove one thing. I don't know, Rose, what is it supposed to prove this other side these other text message it suggests a different relationship than the one we've been hearing.
Speaker 4: So much about this.
Speaker 3: So let's read them, and you the listener, can decide. But it is confusing, and I can't imagine being a juror hearing both of these types of text messages saying very different things. So in one of the texts, Cassie writes to Diditty, I love you so much. You make me a better woman, daughter, sister.
Speaker 1: And keep in mind, folks, these are not like in the first couple of weeks or months that they were full in freak off mode.
Speaker 2: When these texts are.
Speaker 3: Being well, speaking of one of the other texts, she wrote, I'm always ready for a freak off again.
Speaker 1: The proscius will say she was only doing that to make him happy, and she's only saying that stuff because this.
Speaker 2: Is what he wanted.
Speaker 3: Then she texts, I'll be the nastiest freak bitch again.
Speaker 2: These are for the defense.
Speaker 1: They will say, see, look she's willing prosecution. Same argument, She's just trying to make them happy.
Speaker 3: Next text, I bought the sexiest outfit for later. Okay, I've been really horny. And then she even references role playing, where she texts Ditty this the game starts at ten pm.
Speaker 4: No texting after this.
Speaker 3: I am not Cassie and you are not Sean.
Speaker 2: They were into some different stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you just said they were into they different stuff, and so when you say they are into different stuff, it really does raise a question about what her level of willing participation was. From those texts, it certainly sounds like whether she was trying to make him happy or not, she certainly was letting him know that she was into it. So you could argue that Diddy didn't know she was just saying those things to make him happy. He could reasonably read those texts and think she was genuinely into it.
Speaker 4: How was he supposed to know?
Speaker 1: I think I asked you this question yesterday or the day before, and we've been talking so many conversations about this and the complexity of this case, and I think complexity of relationships. But okay, is it still possible that she could have genuinely meant every word she read or every word you read in those text messages? She wants to be nasty, got a nice outfit, and she's genuinely excited. Sure, but does that mean she is disqualified from being a victim on later occasions? Right, and she's not. But for a juror deciding whether or not to put a man in prison for the rest of his life, that's a tough question they got to deal with.
Speaker 4: It is tough.
Speaker 3: And when we were discussing this off, Mike, you mentioned can someone have consensual sex with someone to twenty times and the twenty first time it'd be rape? And the answer is yes, So that is also something to consider. I don't envy the jury with this. I think this is an incredibly, as you said, complicated, complex, confusing, even situation where it's hard to know because if you take her for her word when she says I'm somebody's daughter, you treat me like I turn her. How do you then not also take her at her word when she writes I'm ready for a freak off.
Speaker 1: The prosecution argument is that she was doing that to make him happy, is their argument throughout. It's how many alternates are they speaking?
Speaker 3: I think we said we believe there were six. They've got enough, do they?
Speaker 1: Let's hope, because they could literally by this time next week could be down three the down one now, a second one's on the fence, a third one might be in the hospital by this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a couple of days.
Speaker 3: The judge did not mention at all this Juror number seven, did he? Because he was going to address that. But obviously this new drama, this breaking news of this sick juror now probably usurped anything he was considering ruling on.
Speaker 2: Wait, what happened to you?
Speaker 1: Remember he said he was going to address it at the end of the day yesterday. We're expecting him to address it this morning. What is going on with Juror number seven? He keeps kind of kicking the can.
Speaker 3: Well, he kicked the can for Juror number six. He let that go on for a couple of days. Maybe he was taking time to consider that's fair and weighing what each side has said.
Speaker 4: I don't even do you know if the.
Speaker 3: Prosecution how they feel on this or the defense what their take is on juror number seven.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard who's fighting to possibly keep them.
Speaker 3: Because it could work against both of their cases. We don't know what he said, and I don't know if the judge has access to what because one would have to assume that whoever he told either told the court or he told someone who told someone and it got to the court that way. But if they were alerted that he was discussing it, the question would be in what vain was he discussing it? Was he saying he was this or that? And so that could put a spotlight on where that juror was thinking, and that could cause problems. So I don't know if the defense or the prosecution how they feel about this juror.
Speaker 1: You know, that's right, he should take all the time. He can't after all this this trial. Who knows how many millions of dollars has cost taxpayers on this to have to start it over. You don't want to mistrial, You don't want to run out of jurors, and you don't actually you also don't want to set up something for an easy appeal. So the judge has a difficult job for By all accounts, it seems like he's doing a good job throughout this case, but he has a difficult job and he does it. He wants a decision from this jury. That's his number one goal is for justice in this thing, and jurors keep making headlines.
Speaker 3: What's next, well, we shall see, but certainly we will be on top of it. Any new developments, we will bring them to you. But thank you all for listening in and coming along with us for this very adventurous trial, nonel like we've ever seen before. But we appreciate your time with us, and we hope you all have a wonderful day today.