Speaker 1: I actually went camping with my kids' school this weekend with your.
Speaker 2: Kids hopefully, Nah, just.
Speaker 1: Fuck them now. They're kind of annoying, So I just go out and you know, kick it. Uh yeah, But I don't know, I feel like I got insight into this thing that keeps coming up in the news, the achievement gap that's happening between like girls and boys. And there's it like starts early apparently, Like there's just this like big New York Times podcast about it where they're like boys are developing later and like they need to start later. And I was actually like around kids at the age where this divide is opening up, and I heard what they were talking about, because like the idea is that like boys are like going to college at a lower rate. Like the divide is actually bigger now between girls and boys than it was when Title nine like first started, and so it's just like the boys, the boys have fallen off.
Speaker 2: The boys are back in town because they're not going to school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody talks about that. The reason the boys are back in town is they're not going to school. But I did actually get some insight from these little girls at my kids' school, because they were saying that the one of the big differences that girls go to college to get more knowledge and boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider.
Speaker 2: That which I think I read that on.
Speaker 1: That is fucking huge if true, I've med.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week Trend edition of.
Speaker 1: A long Week Trend. And my name's Jack O'Brien. I am thrilled to be joined by a very special guest co hosts, a hilarious stand up comedian, writer, actor, improviser. You can catch her on stand up stages everywhere. Check her website. It is.
Speaker 2: I'd like to thank the Academy for letting me be on here, and just everyone I stepped on on my way at the top, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And that is the names that they name when they're going up there or they're saying all the people who they've fucked over on my team of people who I've treated like absolute shit, Hollby, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm still a little like tired fucked up from like going camping this weekend and just you know, not sleeping well sleeping weird angles on my back.
Speaker 2: In honor of Columbus. Were you camping in other people's yards?
Speaker 1: Yes, and claiming that I had discovered them. Wow.
Speaker 2: Incredible traditional, a tradition unlike any other.
Speaker 1: All right, well, this is the episode where we tell people what happened over the weekend, over the long weekend of this case. But first we let them get to know us a little bit better. That's a gift that we're providing for them. They're allowed to get to know us a little bit better. You're welcome, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the haunted house that is my mind. That's right, spiderwebs and bats flying through there. So first we like to tell you some things we think are overrated. Underrated Paulavy, do you want to kick us off with an underrated? Yes? Underrated is living in a multi generational households. Boy do I hate paying friends? But also I'm going to India again this year, and I'm very excited because I really love like staying with family, and then you have like friends for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Someone's always providing food. There's there's always like in in house childcare or someone to hang out with. And I think, I just think it's awesome and I feel like in the US, we don't do that enough, you know, like we just find weird roommates on Craigslist to replace our parents, you know, and then then we're splitting rent with people whose habits we don't understand. And I don't know, I feel like it's too individualistic, you know. I miss that community, part.
Speaker 1: Of a community, that a tradition unlike any others. Is the thing. I'm going to keep saying the NBC motto for the Masters, but yeah, it goes way back, and it's it's kind of wonderful. We are now a multi generational household as well. We've got my my wife's parents living with us, and they are so wonderful. I get to eat so much delicious Korean food, and the childcare MA.
Speaker 2: Can't be amazing.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Really, it's all the time in between work you get to spend with your family. It's great.
Speaker 1: I know, it's great, all right. My underrated I got two one is the size of Africa. I was, you know, in between being in the out out of doors, I was scrolling Twitter and came across a couple of maps that emphasized how wild the mercidor projection like is do you do you know what that is? Like? The map that is in most was in most elementary schools. I actually, uh spend shockingly little time in elementary schools these days. But compared to where it started, Man, you would have thought I would be in elementary schools all the time, the way I spent time in elementary schools when I was a kid. But yeah, the map that basically makes it look like the contiguous United States is the center of the universe and as big as Africa.
Speaker 2: And I don't understand. It's pretty anti American of you to say that it's not the biggest part of the globe. And I think you're trying to use lasers to reduce.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to use lasers to control the weather always. But that's just a personal hobby of mine. So like, Russia was always my kind of go to for biggest thing, nothing bigger than Russia, Like it goes from Europe to Asia. Africa is eleven point seven million square miles, Russia is like six point six. It's like Africa is so much bigger than Russian And granted Africa as a continent in Russia as a nation, but it's still just like on these maps that emphasize the northern hemisphere so much. It really is I don't know, it's who knew that, Like.
Speaker 2: I think I had why it's called the Global South Jack, it takes up most of the globe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like they're just like yeah, and then there's like some places down there that you don't have to really worry about. I'll link off to a couple of the like images that kind of blew my mind. And then there's a there's a better map that is like more accurate in terms of land map like relative size of the land masses. But it looks to my broken brain, it looks like wildly warped, Like why why are you warping it like that? And it's just like no, the I'm just so used to the version that makes Africa look like it's the same size as Greenland, and meanwhile it is actually fourteen times the size of Greenland and they look basically the same size on the map.
Speaker 2: I think it's such an imperialistic human thing that we were like, Okay, we finally have the technology and the knowledge to map out the world accurately, so we're gonna put out propaganda right exactly. We know what it is we're just not going to use it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like the way that we got to that map is through like navigation, and like it's helpful for knowing like which direction various things are, like navigating the oceans, but it's not helpful in terms of like knowing how big everything is and how tiny everything is.
Speaker 2: Not the first time men have mixed up what's big and tiny, But it.
Speaker 1: Is not the first time, and you are correct about that. And I made that joke when I went into my kids' elementary school room and I had to change the map out, And yeah, now this is why I spend surprising a little there.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a camping trip. You were kicked out, Jack, I was just outside the school.
Speaker 1: The other one. I just there's another amazing sports highlight being set to the Kanye West's Life of Pablo song father Stretch My Hands Part one, and it's just it's such a great moment. The WNBA like four point play highlight, and like the beginning of that song is just so beautiful and perfect for like an amazing highlight like this, And it's just so frustrating that I have to end up with his terrible verse about bleached assholes in my head every time I see that like that. It is truly one of the worst verses like by him, by anyone. It's just so.
Speaker 2: Dumb and I'm embarrassing. Just feel like you don't understand the artistic value of a bleached asshole jack. And maybe it's because you're white. May I think that's probably you don't understand the asshole colorism. But I think you should maybe step back and look at it through.
Speaker 1: A different line, look at my privilege. Yeah, I mean that is like I've seen people. I actually google this. I was like, does everybody else think this part is stupid? And some people argue they're like, actually, it's a juxtaposition of like the sort of holy spiritual like music that starts it out and which is like a you know, sample from a gospel and then him rapping about debauchery is like kind of the theme of the album, and like that's like you can see it on the cover, but you don't, like, there's plenty of ways to rap about debauchery where you don't sound like the guy from forty year Old Virgin like trying so hard. Oh yeah, like cool, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Is this the same when did the one where he talks about poop come out. Was that like that was after Yeah? That was the next Yeah, so it was an escalation. You got to start talking about like dip your tone in, talk about bleached vassles, poop dey, scoopty whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, poopty scoopedy. God, I forgot about that. That album like doesn't exist in my mind the next one. I think Life of Pablo is the last Kanye album that really kind of stuck for me.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you have to truncate these people's or like different people's artistic entertainment careers, or like cut parts out where you're like that wasn't really who they are.
Speaker 1: Diversion, Yeah, I don't need the box set. What is something you think is overrated? Okay, multi generational household listen, possible it was just your underrated listen.
Speaker 2: There's good things and bad things, and one of the bad things is they definitely know way too much about your bowel movements, and I'm like, stay out of my bleached fassle. Okay, you don't need to know, like why longer in the shower. You don't need to knock on my door while I'm masturbating, like this is there need there has to be a balance between the community and the love and the all up in your business entitlement. There's gotta be. There's gotta be.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It was far less privacy than there used to be in our household.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you're probably your in laws are doing wonderful things bringing you food, but maybe at the wrong times. So I don't know. I feel like like there is beauty too, like the privacy and like independence of like living by yourself, because when I go back to India, I love the family stuff. Sorry, my dogs are playing and growling right now. Okay, very sweet, It's very cute. See, no privacy, they're doing it like right on top of me. But then they always are like where are you going? What are you doing? What are you going to get back? You didn't text me? You didn't And you have to like text like nine or ten people to not get in trouble. And I'm like, why am I I'm in my thirties, you.
Speaker 1: Know what's the car? Sitch? Where? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are we?
Speaker 1: When are you back? When? Yeah? Yeah? Especially with kids, like you have to be communicating ABC, always be communicating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're the kids are considered anyone who's not the oldest, So you're a kid, right exactly. They were like, why are you up so late? And You're like, I was reading, leave me.
Speaker 1: Alone, interesting reading. What were you reading. Let's get a little quiz on that. Yeah, I'd say overall worth it, but I do feel your pain on that. On that front, my overrated is trail mix, specifically, like getting more than forty percent of your calories from trail mix.
Speaker 2: So it's not trail mix, then it's people who only eat trail.
Speaker 1: I So I, as I mentioned up top, I went on a camping trip with my kids school. I decided to make some trail mix, and uh decided to just dump entire like containers of nuts and raisins and tart dried cherries the secret ingredient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are good.
Speaker 1: Crystallized ginger was a nice addition.
Speaker 2: That's good because kids are always like I frew up and it's like, okay, we'll have some ginger.
Speaker 1: Good, rest your stomach a little bit, some minemp nuts because you got to and it was like really good. And also the size of a small child. When I was like through with mixing it, it was so big, so I was like carrying it was I felt like, I was, did you ever do the home economics like flower baby thing?
Speaker 2: And no, I didn't because I grew up in Utah and if they did that, they would have given us fourteen each and I refused.
Speaker 1: I was, yeah, I was basically doing that home act project, but like eating my way through it over the course of the weekend and sharing it. People would just dip a little cup in it was.
Speaker 2: That is so cute.
Speaker 1: It was very pot like. I got a lot of compliments, I got a lot of validation. I ate way too much of it, and the effect that it had on my digestive system was not great. Like my god, at the beginning of the weekend, there was a question of whether I'd ever go to the bathroom again, and then at the end of the weekend there was a question of whether I'd ever stopped going to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It was not ideal when you're like not at home. So just you know, a nice trail mix, great idea. You don't have to dump the entire bag of peanuts, cashes and pistachios in there, and you know, don't try and eat your way through age an entire human child worth of trail mix.
Speaker 2: I'm just like imagining you, like your kid rolling their ankle or something and being like, Daddy, pick me up, and you're like, I have the trail mix bag. I cannot put it.
Speaker 1: I thought I told you I got this trail mix bag. All right, let's take a quick break and we're going to come back and get into the news. We'll be right back, and we're back, and we always like to check in with Donald Trump see what he got up to over the weekend. It's like watching the wanderings of like a blacked out drunk person. You know, there's always something wild happening. In this case, at Trump's Coachella rally, police arrested a man named Verne Miller who reportedly showed up to the rally with guns, fake press credentials, and an unregistered SUV, and the sheriff who nabbed him had this quote, if you're asking me right now, I probably did have deputies that prevented the third assassination attempt. So yeah, he was like, not to brag, but we're basically like the boys were basically heroes saving fascism.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're saying it wasn't you, it was the deputies. Is that what you were saying.
Speaker 1: I probably basically had I love it. I do love how they just can't help but be terribly unconcise in every sentence. If you're asking me right now, I probably did have deputies that prevented the third assess it. We ascertained a situation wherein my deputies did prevent the third assassination attempt.
Speaker 2: That was way too good of an impression. That is a hundred percent how they talk.
Speaker 1: So it turns out Verne Miller wasn't unassassin. First of all, dead giveaway no middle name.
Speaker 2: But also it sounds like a character from like Kurdvonnagut book or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's just a Trump super fan, like he claims he's been active in helping him get reelected and was invited to the rally. I feel like we've had people like this who have had scary moments or run ins with people, like there's that guy with all the Trump shit on the outside of his van that had some terrifying behavior. And this guy is just like some rando who talked his way into the VIP area and when security picked up the fact that his car was unregistered, it was searched and they found a bunch of guns in there, which I feel like if you searched the cars of most people at a Trump rally, there would be a ton of guns in there.
Speaker 2: I know, it seems like it's arbitrary of like, if you find a lot of guns, isn't that you're like badge to get in, right, isn't that your credentials to get into a Trump rally?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd feel like they would be like, uh, we've got a bit of a situation here. Just searched his car and there's just prail mix, there's no there's no guns here, Like, he doesn't even have an AR fifteen here.
Speaker 2: I know, it's like he has a grenade that's patriots and him on through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. And the reason why the vehicle was unregistered is because Miller is one of those sovereign citizen guys who thinks he doesn't have to like abide by any laws. He issued a seventy five minute video statement. You can find out all about it. But yeah, I don't know that the right has run with the whole assassination narrative, being like they're still trying to kill our president, which like it doesn't seem inconceivable to me that Donald Trump could be the victim of a like John Lennon Mark David Chapman situation where like one of his adherents decides for like convoluted reasons only they can understand, to like try and take him out. Like that's always been a thing that I've worried about, because he is the head of such a bizarre cult of personality that is comprised of like some of the strangest, most gun owningest humans on the planet. You know, it's just like that, make America guns again, make all of us guns. And then obviously if that happened, he'd get it get taken out of context, and you know, cause the Civil war or whatever. So it's like, I don't know. It does seem like a volatile situation, like his supporter base, and I don't think that's what is happening here. I think it was just a sovereign citizen sucking around and finding out why the laws apply to him.
Speaker 2: Did you see the video of him getting arrested. No, it was incredible. He was like his license plate was like it looked like he drew it with crayon, because he doesn't his sovereign citizenship thing is that he kept saying, you know, this land belongs to God or I'm under God's rule, et cetera. But he was trying to use it as like actual He's like, well, I don't have ID. My ID was is with God or whatever. And his license plate looked like it was made out of crayon. Like it was just he like, and they were so patient with this large white man. They were like, they asked multiple times for ID. They went back to their car. They were like, okay, well we really need ID, and he's like, I can't give you ID. I'm a soldier of God or whatever the fuck he said. And they just they were like, okay, well we're gonna have to arrest you. And he was like, well you like, you know, the authority is under God and like it just went back and forth for so. I was like, if this man was black, he would have been shot, Like this is crazy. Of course it was, and he was and he got out and he was actually like not like violent. He was just like why would I have ID? He was like, he was like why, It's like this land belongs to God like and it was just I was kind of like Okay, this is like hippie vibes in the wrong direction, you know what I mean. This is like a man who does need community and like a deeper purpose but went in the wrong you read it, you know, right. But it was just such a stark contrast because like the way he was talking, there's no way he would have been given that grace if he wasn't white, you know. So, I don't know, it was kind of a weird. It was a weird, a really strange interaction. I'm like, these people just exist out there in the world and they vote, you know, those videos of men who are being interviewed about like how a tampon works, and then people are like see, like they don't know anything. Get out your vote women, And it's like, okay, but how do we do that with crazy people?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Like, how do we do They're all around us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, an entertaining mixture of people that I don't know it it seems like not not a great situation when there have been two assassination attempts already, but yeah, yeah, the sovereign citizens do all seem to have a similar look about them, don't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So just going off of that, that was not the only wild thing to happen to Trump this weekend. Just a quick rundown of some stories that if they happened to Kamala Harris, I feel like, would probably be treated as campaign defining and campaign derailing by the mainstream media. So just at a rally in Arizona, he welcomed the many as your Asians in the crowd as your Asians.
Speaker 2: He's a huge man of sci Fi. I totally get it.
Speaker 1: Like Asians. Is that it was determined he was either trying to pronounce Assyrians or Arizonans because he was in Arizona, So like Arizona still makes the most sense to me. I guess there were people in the crowd who were wearing Assyrians for Trump shirts. But either way, just like, way, the fuck off as your Asians, like the Blue Man group.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's just a huge fan. He's like they're drums. Biden would not like he if he stumbled like that, everybody would be like he's insane, and he.
Speaker 1: Would right yeah, and rightly so. And I mean, like, I do feel like this is getting sporadically like picked up by the mainstream media, like The New York Times recently wrote an article about how his age is increasingly apparent in his rambling and incoherent speeches.
Speaker 2: That's also how young stand ups feel about me, and I.
Speaker 1: Totally cat but like even in the audio of him welcoming the azure Asians, the stuff you hear just like incidentally after is like him going and we have many good people. They knew who they are. I can't say their names, like just like forgetting people's names and then like trying to cover up, and then he's like Robert O'Brien, I say his name because he brought these many great people. It's just like rambling nothing in there. You know, he's just not not saying anything.
Speaker 2: It's just your typical family reunion where Grandpa is just off by himself.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah. We also so there's also this moment where he was supposed to hold a town hall with Christine.
Speaker 2: Nome, famous dog Dog, famous dog lover.
Speaker 1: Christine No cut it off halfway through because people kept feigning in the audience.
Speaker 2: That's just because he was so hot, right, they couldn't handle it.
Speaker 1: Well. It does like have the same vibes as like Michael Jackson in the eighties, like you know, just people being lifted out because Trump's yeah he is bad and you know it to answer right down. I think I misheard what the actual lyrics are too bad. I don't think it's the whole world has to answer right down to the tell you once again. But that's what it was in my brain for a long time. Folks, his supporters like being treated like shit is another thread. It feels like the media could be running with a little more and would be with a Democrat, like if Kamala Harris and Tim Walls like kept leaving their supporters stranded or like just you know, the apparently the air conditioning wasn't turned up enough in this thing, and like multiple people were fainting at this town.
Speaker 2: Halls and so it's never going to be his fault. Like it is very cultish. I saw like a TikTok of a woman like describing her experience with a Trump supporter and like how like dead eyed and committed to the cause that the person she had the interaction with was. It's like there's nothing he could do, Like he said, he could like shoot somebody and they'd be like it's justified, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess I don't know why, Like I don't think a mainstream media narrative is going to like change anyone's mind. It just feels weird because it does also feel at the same time as they're just they've kind of given up on change it. Like they're just like, yeah, but people seem to love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not like upholding their responsibility.
Speaker 1: But I feel like they're waiting for like a Kamala Harris slip up. You know, obviously not the slip up of refusing to break with Joe Biden's horrifying policy in Israel, as we'll talk about in a moment, but the like just you know, if she did any of these things, I just feel like it would be treated as like roof that she's unseerious and not ready for the job. So anyways, after the two people passed out at this town hall, he was just like, fuck the questions, let's listen to let's listen to some jams, and just did what apparently he does all the time in mar A Lago and just like plays music for people, and then kind of did like he does like a sort of dance thing where he just like kind of stands there and like sways a little bit.
Speaker 2: And he kind of does like a mini shimmy, like.
Speaker 1: Like every fifteen to twenty seconds, he'll like acknowledge that there's music on, but it's like very He really reminds me of like a self conscious guy whose wife is on the dance floor at a wedding and he's just like on the side like being like, Okay, I've got to acknowledge it the dance floor, so I'm gonna move my hands a little bit, but like just little half moves here and there.
Speaker 2: It's also so funny that he's like, here's just music that I'm not playing. That's not a live band, but it's just like, will you listen to this playlist that I made for.
Speaker 1: Like November Rain he played. It's so weird. He plays like Ave Maria and then November Rain, and yet he just played music for a half hour and was like standing on the stage not saying anything, and then the crowd just eventually started to like file out.
Speaker 2: That's the best case scenario for a Trump presidency is he does that every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, just like pumps up the jams and everyone's like all right, sir. Although the people that he would have running things probably would be making bad, bad choices but again, like just an excerpt from elsewhere in that like the shutting things down and playing music is the thing that obviously got the headlines. But like this is a paragraph that he said at one point, people put signs this gun or we have some of them actually even spell the kind of gun they have. We have an AK forty seven inside, And people say, you know what, let us just I knew about an AK forty seven from a few weeks ago in the AR fifteen. I know a lot. It's just like, what the fuck, Like I think he's trying to get it the like only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns thing, But like just that rail distracted, Yeah, yeah, exactly, and then he just gets distracted and chases a butterfly. Like if he wasn't so just out of step with nature, I could definitely see him chit chasing a butterfly.
Speaker 2: But if he wasn't so out of step with nature.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine him in nature of any Like I feel like he hasn't been in a forest in the entirety of his life.
Speaker 2: You're still on that camping trip man.
Speaker 1: Where to be fair, I was just chasing butterflies around way.
Speaker 2: Down by the weight of drail mix exactly. He if he chased a butterfly, it would be this like beautiful like music in the background, him running through a field, and then he would fucking kill the butterfly and the music would stop.
Speaker 1: He grab it and just yeah, trying like put it in his pocket. All right, on the other side of things, So is it the other side? I mean it's the same side, because this seems like what would be doing. But this continues to be a massive liability for the Harris campaign in addition to just being absolutely horrifying and enraging. So Israel continues to commit war crimes in Gaza and you know, the West Bank. According to everyone who is not the United States, Like heading into the weekend, Israel was accused of war crimes by the United Nations over there quote concerted policy to destroy Gaza's healthcare system. And that was then before the world witnessed the horror of a tent camp outside of a hospital being engulfed in flames and you know, people with ivs in their arms being burned alive. Like they made that accusation first, and then that happened.
Speaker 2: I genuinely might cry, like, right, because I know, it's so horrifying, it's awful and I can't get and the thing is, like I saw images of a man being run over by a tank, like I don't know how long ago, and it's just like every day. The evil that I see that people are co signing and enthusiastically lending their support for it is very devastating to my picture of humanity and like what we're capable of. Yeah, And the only thing that is like making me feel better is the actual other side of that, where I'm seeing like Palestinians taking care of each other and like taking care of like the cats that are displaced. Like I have to watch those videos because everything else that I'm seeing by the powers that the is like devastating. Yeah, it is, so it's so sad.
Speaker 1: It's so sad. It's yeah, it's truly horrifying, and it's enraging that this is the hill that they're going to die on, like the Harris campaign, like you know, the Israeli military is just increasingly like belligerent and like yeah, like I said, like that accusation came and then they bombed the time camp outside of a hospital.
Speaker 2: And I saw like some thing in Haretz or whatever that was like Netanyahu's no longer looking for peace or a ceasefire, and it's like he never fucking was, and we all knew he wasn't. And he literally was like, well, we're going to see in the next forty five days, at like the forty five day mark for our election. Like they're like, it is so frustrating how many lives, like human life these people are playing with when I don't think being the head of a nation state and dows you with the ability to discern what is important in terms of human life and gives it, doesn't give you a right to take it away. I'm like, these are people who don't give a fuck about your policies or your agenda. Their kids. They're people like, yeah, I don't think being the head of a government means that the people are actually giving you like this social contract where you can just play with their lives like it is fucked like such a human level. But yeah, he's not searching for a peaceful solution. This is what he wanted to do the whole time. This is what he wanted to drag the US into. And we're so fucking stupid and so stubborn that we just went along with it, and it's just like now where to where, Like where will she turn back? She's been so she lost all the steam of Tim Waltz being the yeah, the pool the right pick by just being so like Roe Republican. It's like you're telling there's this There are all these tweets and comments online that are like you're telling us Republicans are bad and then that you're gonna work with them and put them in your cabinet.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and you're telling thing about fucking the co sign from Dick Cheney, the person who is basically the architect of the War on Terror, which is like largely what we're seeing a continuation of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you're also saying these people are responsible for Roe v. Wade falling and you want them in your fucking ca or to campaign with them.
Speaker 1: It's baffling.
Speaker 2: You're using their talking points on immigration from like four years ago for your platform now like you're moving more right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the triangulation thing we've been saying all along is like the mistake that the Democratic Party continues to make. There like well, we've got to move more right, and then we capture this big tent, but it actually just makes you the second cruelest of like a cruel political establishment, and that doesn't do anything for you, Like there's more Donegan in the Guardian is like the truth is that Netnahu's style of governance, his bigotry is corruption. His advancement of violent and exclusionary nationalism is part of a broader trend of far right authoritarianism. It is the same trend that Harris aims to defeat in her campaign against Donald Trump. Like that there it's so clear, like the path of just being like worre are going to break with this right wing bullshit? Instead, it's at every angle it feels like the campaign is trying to appease that, and.
Speaker 2: It's you can't be like you can't say that the Republicans are bad and then like try to be as racist as them but not accomplish that, Like those voters are going to stay with Republicans, right, that is just not going to happen. You can't outpatriot the Republicans, you can't out racist the Republicans. All you're doing is making us more like people on the left progressives, even like you think people in this center are okay with what's happening with Israel in terms of like the money being spent there, like average Americans are looking at like grocery prices, are looking at like the economy, the rent, even if they don't give a shit about what's happening in other countries. That being like such a big aspect of your platform right now is not going to help you in the little time we have left. Yeah, like we have weeks left at this point. That is crazy. This is gonna be so paid. This is We're in such a bad position right now. It was like forty nine forty four or something after the debate, and now it's like forty eight forty eight or something. Crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it is that same like bullshit logic that led to twenty sixteen. And I don't know, I don't know. There's something we'll need to change. I think, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come right back and talk about something that's not this. We'll be right back and we're back. Let's talk Elon Musk, because he is building the few future by copying off of sci fi movies. So we went viral over the weekend for his we Robot event. Certainly you've heard of I Robot, Well what about we robot? Elon Musk famously great at community building.
Speaker 2: I'm so tired of Trump and Elon still being famous. Like I know, I don't want to, I don't want to keep talking about them. I know we have to, but I'm like, when will they go away?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I wonder if they ever will. It really feels like narcissism and extreme wealth are the cheat codes for this current version of reality. Unfortunately, Yeah, hopefully we get over that. But yeah, So the big rollout was for Tesla's Robotaxi, but the real star of the show was the Optimist robot. He's just pulling from anything. He's pulling from transformers, He's pulling from my robot.
Speaker 2: He's going to make like a sandworm soon.
Speaker 1: Yes, he would be like super into spice, the idea of like a psychedelic that helps you navigate space, and he and Joe.
Speaker 2: Rogan are going to do on their next podcast exactly.
Speaker 1: I hope he does try to navigate space on psychedelics and is the only person aboard that ill faded space mission.
Speaker 2: It makes me really sad that all these people do like a bunch of psychedelics and like have not learned it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like I've actually figured out a way to optimize my schedule. Wait what, that's what mushrooms told you? But did you see the footage of Optimists?
Speaker 2: I saw like different footage from the event, and how like the bartenders, Like were the bartenders considered optimists too? Or were they? It was a robots, but they but they were like real voices, like they were manually operated, and like there were people talking and like I was like, this just sounds like a dude from Silicon Valley.
Speaker 1: That's because that's what it was. A Yeah, so people were like, holy shit, he made robots that can like play rock paper scissor and like serve you a drink like they were like doing bartender. People were like, good luck with your twenty dollars minimum wage now that elon do robot that can do this, not never thinking about the fact that even were this to be the AI driven thing that they claimed, it would be immensely expensive.
Speaker 2: But anyways, and also and also like everybody was like, that's not the fucking point of a bartender. It's not to be like a vending machine. The point of a bartender is to like similar to like how a hairdresser like is part of the culture and like a human being and interacts with you and gives you shot.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we just got to take the humanity out of every aspect. Yeah, that's true. Like hairdresser and bartender are like the remaining points of human interaction, and they're like, we got to get these fuckers out of here. They're reminding people of what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Elon's like human connection. Who needs that?
Speaker 1: Not me? Yeah. He bragged that Optimists will be the biggest product ever of any kind because he's you know, prone to understatement, and showed videos in which Optimist brings in Amazon deliveries that were probably also done by robots and water house plants. While like a family plays Jenga in the foreground and the Optimist manages to resist the urge to kill its human masters, it really feels kind of ominous.
Speaker 2: This is also how he views people who work for him, Like he views them as robots in the background. That's why he's like they can be easily replaced by robots in the background. Like he doesn't value labor, that isn't like destroying like democracy, right.
Speaker 1: What do we hate other people, right, so I've solved this problem. I've solved the problem of other humans. So this event had optimism Optimize sprinkled around the event. Interacting with people, everybody was like oh shit, you yeah, dunking on the service industry, being like it's over for you people who do manual labor and like who do important chill in your face, but yeah, like this is just another fake demo from Elon Musk. He's done this so many times. He did self driving cars like seven years ago, and they were not self driving. He totally like he had somebody controlling them from a distance, and also they had like scanned in the root and like done all these things. So but people believed in self driving cars for the past decade because he faked a demo.
Speaker 2: And they're like, oh, he'll figure out the tech soon enough, you know, like they're like it's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. So these were just robotic puppets that were being operated remotely by humans.
Speaker 2: Sounds like Elon Musk, if you ye me.
Speaker 1: Hey, Like I was at first, I was like that feels like that would be hard to do, even like to to operate remote control a robot so that it like picked up a glass and like poured the beer for you. But then I remembered that the mechanical turk that is like from two hundred years ago, it was the chess playing automaton that oh my god, Amazon actually named their like one of their companies after because their whole like they recognize that their whole trick is to like hide the humans behind you know, shiny technology. Uh god, it like it was also doing the same thing. Like I think I had at some point assumed that the mechanical turk was like a human in a robot costume, but it was also just there was somebody in a hidden compartment controlling it with levers, and it was able to like pick up the chess pieces and move them around. So there's like nothing new here. This is two hundred year old technology.
Speaker 2: That is so funny that I was going to say, like all of the like robo bus and shit, it's like people just like in reinventing public transport, it's just people like trying to make shinier and more sleek what's already out there and needs funding, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, exactly, just find ways to further deprive people of the thing that we need. The most and replace with robots and technology and just as remove the face to face communication at any cost, including in this case, they're replacing bartenders who, as people were like, there goes your twenty dollars paycheck, asshole. You know, the people who operate these robots remotely make as much as forty eight dollars an hour, so they're removing them at cost to do the job more slowly.
Speaker 2: But the benefit is that they're more of a fit for the company, you know what I mean, because they are Silicon Valley people and not like manual labor, low skilled people, you know what I mean. That's right, But that's like something else that like really fucking bothers me having come from STEM. Girls in STEM they quit for stand up. I'm trying to deal with the gap between education. I'm trying to reverse it by getting dumber as I get older, going to Jupiter, so to speak, I'm defying the gender by by going to Jupiter to get more stupider. There is such a deep level of arrogance in a lot of tech people's like bodies, like they just like it's so deeply ingrained that because they use brain and computer, brain and computer better than other people, you know, and like the fact that they're willing to allow themselves to be tricked by aesthetics and trends will never penetrate to make them feel like shallow or part of the culture or just human like everybody else. Like they like that person making forty eight dollars an hour, they will always justify it as being like a higher skilled, more specialized, you know job than the average like warehouse worker or whatever who's like operating you know, machinery in a similar way, because they have to be better, because they have to have a reason to justify their place in like cold right now, and how much money they're making, and like they have to be special because they were told growing up that they're special and they're smart, and that makes them like better than other people. And it fucking doesn't like you were tricked by shiny robots just like everybody else. I'm sorry to tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're taking big swings. They've got to do big swings in this case, like he stole the whole look like that was another thing that was controversial, Like people did point out, like there are people who are like Tesla, Like they cover Tesla as their main beat and they were like, this is uh completely quote totally dishonest demo is what they called it, which they were just like, man, why would you completely lie, like because he did the thing and like didn't admit that they're being remotely controlled. That just like came out later so insane.
Speaker 2: Also, I want to say, like I saw a tweet about how like Donald Trump would be an amazing real heimewife, and I feel the same way about Elon Musk, Like this is one hundred percent what real housewives are about, their throwing parties where they appear to be like fancier and better than everybody else, and then everybody gets mad because it's not what it looks like, and then everybody gossips about it. I'm like, just go on one of these shows, just be a real billionaire and just leave reality alone.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll even laugh at you, Elan, I know that's like your main thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, bitch, be messy, come on, this is up your aisle, slut.
Speaker 1: That I mean. They also just like copied the look from an Eye Robot. Yeah, and so the filmmaker behind the movie I Robot was like, hey, man, thanks for completely stealing our design book. But I don't know that side of it. There's been a long history, like they stole tablets from two thousand and one and Star Trek, like they had iPads basically years before. And I think that's just generally, like you said, these are just like weird people who are stealing ideas to try and make the world look like some version of things in their mind.
Speaker 2: And I can understand, like, Okay, the technology needs to catch up with the art, because art is always imagining things in the future, and I can understand that happening, and it has happened in like science fiction and all sorts of things. But it is your fucking company, Like have some vision, like have fun with it, Like it doesn't have to be like what everybody else thinks it should look like it could be a new, cooler thing that people didn't realize they needed. But you're too egoistic and narcissistic, but like simultaneously lack creativity to like make something cool and new.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do have to give a shout out to jam who called the story more like lie robot am I right, So WIT's for him? All right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday, October fifteenth, and over the weekend before we are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show, Paula the Where can people find you? Follow you, watch you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Paula Vigan Allen p A l A v I g U n A l A n and please follow me and share my stuff online because after that rant I will never be employed in the stem field again, So please make sure comedy works out for me. I co produce a show called Facial Recognition Comedy at the Comedy Store and our show this month is on the eighteenth, that is this week Friday, ten thirty pm. It's fucking awesome. It's at the Comedy Store. Features all South Asian, Middle Eastern, North African, even though Africa is so huge lineup, so yeah, why not the whole continent, you know, So yeah, come through check that out. And also I'm like trying to form everywhere, so if you sign up for my mailing list online, then I can figure out how to come to a city near you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Bye, there you go. All right, until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get your flu shots. Don't do nothing about white supremacy. And we will talk to y'all tomorrow. Bite by bye.