Speaker 1: I don't know if you heard justin my infant almost.
Speaker 2: Died, Yeah, okay, in the fire in a drugs shootings after mass shooting, mass shooting, a mass shooting after mass shootings.
Speaker 1: I know, out of context that probably sounded really fucked up.
Speaker 2: It does sound up, but it's the top.
Speaker 3: None of us said we don't think anything is that fucked up.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Well, I want I want you to be in on it because I think it's very just. I think it's important for the show that we're all speaking the same language here, the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all speaking the truth according to the Church of Benny Johnson.
Speaker 1: About Washington, d C. And it's actually such a it's such a cess pit that it's so fucked up. I just want to this is just him. This is him making up a tragedy that clearly happened, did not happen.
Speaker 2: You don't think DC is fucked up, You.
Speaker 4: Don't personal experiences. I don't believe the bullshit that you hear online from some reporters all crimes down.
Speaker 2: In d C.
Speaker 4: Well, that is infant nearly died in a drug fire in a drug after mass.
Speaker 2: Shootings, after mass shootings.
Speaker 4: So no, DC is not safe just.
Speaker 2: After you guys live in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you're from a big city.
Speaker 2: You guys actually just came from the drug fire after the mass shootings.
Speaker 3: That's what you heard in the background. I was like, our whole life is just one big drug fire.
Speaker 2: But yeah, hello the Internet, and welcome to season four oh two, Episode two of dared Ally's Guy. This production of My Heart Radio is a podcast where you take a deep avenue America's share consciousness. That was a good Yeah, that was a good Dean scream, which maybe it's just normal, but I I've been away from it for too long. I've been been at sea for too long. It's Tuesday, August nineteenth, twenty twenty five. That seems wrong, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? August, yes, right, eight, nineteen twenty cases. You're right. You know what that is. It's National fucking Potato Day, It's National Aviation Day, and it's you know, actually, I love this National soft ice cream Day. I love soft serve. Soft serve for me, better than better than the fucking scoop Shit. Sorry, that's just.
Speaker 2: Me then the scoop ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, better than hard serve.
Speaker 2: Hey, can I get some of the scoop shit. Hey, hard serve is great? Hey can I get some hard serve?
Speaker 3: Do you guys have hard serve?
Speaker 2: Or is just a soft do you want to get?
Speaker 3: You want heart? You want your safer hard served? Yeah? Ye ser service? Yeah? Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Have you guys ever tried to use a soft serve machine? Yeah? Do the How.
Speaker 1: Are college cafeteria so good?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: I don't do the swirl?
Speaker 2: I do the oh you do they get the queen?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you get the little concentric little doughnuts going yeah yeah, yeah yeah. My cousin worked at a shop, so she she always showed me the technique.
Speaker 2: I used to be so nice with it because I went to this basketball camp at a college, and just every day at lunch, like I was, people would just give me their cones to make the cones with, and I could do I could do the little bloops, but I could also do the kind of the swirly thing.
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Then? Exactly? Man, it's like piano man, man, what are you doing here? A dairy queen somewhere? Uh should be soft serve man. I So I was bragging about this my kids and I and my parents were a restaurant that had a soft serve machine. I was Plantation, get ready, it was not sup Plantation.
Speaker 1: Problematic name, but now they anymore.
Speaker 2: Soup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely in the West coast, it was like a salad. It was like a lunch business salad bar place, but they have.
Speaker 3: Like a business salad.
Speaker 2: I it was coming out too fast, so I talked all this ship and then the thing was coming out too fast.
Speaker 5: My ship was so lopsided it looked like you probably look like such a fucking froudy, Like yo, watch me for shipping out too fast.
Speaker 2: Now it was like they should put a fucking warning on how this thing comes out.
Speaker 1: There should be a governance chip on this spoken machine or something a regulator.
Speaker 2: All right, enough enough bullshit, Time for me to sing a dumb song. My name is Jack O'Brien aka. I used to sing songs about my hands being awkward. I used to sing songs referencing cold gas. But now all I get or a K is about p p Do you even remember when we did our rage c P K and that one courtesy of short show title spice Johnny Davis on the Discord, who specifically said not sorry about all those extra syllables there and you are not forgiven because you're not sorry, but yeah, shout out to everybody. So many p related a ka is waiting for me after a few days off, thanks overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Visibly concerning our guests, I did Lauren get.
Speaker 2: Us pe running down my leg ak he wrote me goes on for a half hour, So I just cut that off even though it seemed like it went on for a half hour.
Speaker 1: Those we can probably do a lot show just singing all the aha.
Speaker 6: We were going to get along because that's basically our writing process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just singing great minds. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles.
Speaker 1: Grass Miles Gray aka oh infant nearly died mass shooting, drug fire explosion. When you need a pretext for your civil rights erosion, Bennie Johnson's parents should have probably used the trojan infant nearly died mass shooting, drug fire explosion. Nick separ teeranis for that fucking fever aka yes, and you're still talking about the Bennie Johnson made up story about wait, what's that again?
Speaker 4: My infant nearly died in a drug fire, mass shootings.
Speaker 2: After mass shootings, God, after the mass shootings.
Speaker 3: Cause the drug fire.
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know what was he doing to say.
Speaker 1: How is he in proximity of a drug fire.
Speaker 2: With his with the after mass shootings so.
Speaker 3: Many didn't die.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know what's fine.
Speaker 2: My entire life has happened. It's like amos, Yeah, exactly, life has been has happened in the aftermath of mass shootings. So I guess that's true generally, right, Yeah, I guess you know, everything is after mask shooting.
Speaker 6: Was out of school, though it sounds like he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Miles. We're thrilled to be joined in our third and fourth seats by the very funny hosts of the podcast dead Heads, which is a true crime look into who murdered their bank accounts? Nay, all of our bank accounts. Please welcome, Jamie Feldman and Rachel Webster. Is that right?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 6: Just want to clarify, just in case people think it's dead Heads.
Speaker 3: It's dead Heads?
Speaker 2: Did I no? You know?
Speaker 3: But everybody's still people do everybody still thinks it's not?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This year, Yeah, we're like, we'll meet you in Vain. You guys in debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a bit of a debt head. That's how I pronounced dead.
Speaker 1: Have you made merch that looks like grateful Dead stuff?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Actually it's in progress, it's yeah, yeah, okay, great, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Grateful Dead left. It would be like super re litigious, you know, like how that generation.
Speaker 6: We had the Grateful Dead bears in our first original like seven hundred page deck that we were sending to potential sponsors, and then we were like, we need to have a one page deck and also get rid of the dancing pairs in our art work, and so we came up with our own artwork.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't an inspiration early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like kind of like an ironic sentiment like grateful debt somehow in our something.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, is that something.
Speaker 3: You shut down? You should beat? That is what they say to our generation.
Speaker 1: Can I be on your podcast? Can I be your podcast? Now?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? We need to make a new episode, so this maybe this is it. Yeah, this is what we're instead of writing our new episode for on this podcast.
Speaker 3: So thank you guys for giving us some questions.
Speaker 2: How much of your portfolio is invested in avocado toast. This is my first questions problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's tae get a step back.
Speaker 1: Well back, they're they're even worse off than we thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have to strike while the iron Okay, I'm going to just do a fill in the blank. You guys are gonna tell me you got to strike while the irons on on on the steam setting.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't only work when they're standing bolved.
Speaker 2: Well, we're thrilled to have you. We're going to get to know you both a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to listener to a couple of the things we're talking about from the zeitgeist, from the news, if you will. We're get in a sense of what Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin talk about when they're alone together. I think we're alone now we can just you know, have two hearts beating as one. I think those are two eighty songs that I'm confusing. But anyways, they Donald Trump came out and was like, you know, I am going to look into the voting machines because Ladimir Putin told me that I got fucked in the twenty twenty election. And he is a reliable narrator on that subject. So we're going to talk about that. We're going to talk about DC being safe again from people looking to shield their babies from the drug fire after the Mats shootings. We'll talk about just why white collar crime like that, you know, is this where we should be putting our money right now? White collar crime seems like it's boom times for white color crime. I think you do need to be generationally healthy to get away with it though, unfortunately. So we'll talk about that. We'll talk about the ultra wealthy trying to live forever, a bunch of shit, the gen Z Millennial debt crisis, so many articles, no explanation, all that, plenty more. But first we do like to ask our guests Jamie Rachel, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you guys are?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's so it's like a perfect it encapsulates us, like what Rachel's Google search is and what mine is. I'll go first and Rachel go. You could see where the differences are. So my most recent Google shirt.
Speaker 7: Search was and just like that ending insane because I was watching the Psychotic and just like that finale, serious finale, and I was double screening because I couldn't like really process watching it, like fully engaging because it was so insane. And I saw an article that was like something like that, and I wanted to find it and read to see if it had the same feelings that I had.
Speaker 3: So that's like I did it.
Speaker 2: It was you alone. I'm hearing a lot of chatter out there, but I don't want it spoiled for me.
Speaker 3: I will tell you something.
Speaker 6: There's nothing to be spoiled because not a single thing has happened. I think in three seasons of this show, it's like a it's like a visual like supposed to be like a visual xen.
Speaker 7: Actually it's almost like HGTV, but like nothing even gets like made. And I think that it was not I think that like my takeaway and I wanted to write an essay about this, but I feel like it's not even worth my time is that capitalism ruined the legacy of Sex and the City and that like clearly this was made because like a few rich people wanted to get like a bit richer, and if they had just let it be like one series and ended at you know, the end of the series, then like the legacy would not be completely ruined, and so I think there's a bigger thesis.
Speaker 3: But maybe that's just me.
Speaker 7: Everyone else is just like this was so bad and crazy, and it was, but I think that there's like a larger issue there.
Speaker 1: We can zoom out for a little bit. Yeah, why why even do this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And like I get it, Like I loved Sex and the City. It was a formative piece of work. It's obviously it was problematic, but like it was funny and the writing was good, and it was really, you know, progressive for the time, I guess, at least in some ways, even though Carrie Bradshaw's supposed to be a sex writer and she's like the most prude person I've ever seen on television. But you know, I think it has its place, and it has its like you know, forever legacy and pop culture. And now I'm just like I don't even know how to feel, Like, I don't even know how to feel about it anymore. I'm just kind of angry.
Speaker 2: Did it end with any We had a pitch we were expecting something having to do with nine to eleven, because like nine to eleven never really happened in the series.
Speaker 3: That actually it ends on nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what that was.
Speaker 6: My guess, it's not eleven twenty twenty five. And they're like at a memorial ceremony, like what's happening, and they're like, I didn't even know this happened.
Speaker 1: They're like I never come downtown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I.
Speaker 3: Haven't been below fourteenth Street in my whole life.
Speaker 7: Oh, nine to eleven didn't happen for them, So yeah, they just re redid it for them at the end.
Speaker 3: That's why it was so bad.
Speaker 2: How about you, Rachel?
Speaker 6: That probably should have been my search T shirt because I didn't ever watch it or know the title of it, but mine was sort of similarly embarrassing. I googled American exceptionalism that was the most recent.
Speaker 3: And it's embarrassing in that, you.
Speaker 6: Know, it's like one of those things like terms that we, you know, throw it on conversation and then when we're really trying to write about it, maybe you're not, maybe not everybody's trying to. But it's sort of like anything where it's like you're writing about a bigger concept, a historical concept, or you know, something philosophical, and you think you understand it, but then when you try to write about it. You're like, no, I actually need to like make sure I know what the fucking meaning.
Speaker 2: Of this is.
Speaker 6: And so I picked this one because it was my most recent and it's emblematic of how our research has been in this project, because we're constantly trying to write about these things and we're like, wait.
Speaker 3: Do we really understand that how things work?
Speaker 6: And then I also kind of want to normalize like not knowing the dictionary definition of every fucking thing in the world, Like everybody is out here with a hot take, and maybe we just need to kind of acknowledge that not everybody knows everything all this, right, I mean, it's okay to like maybe get to the bottom of it occasionally and think.
Speaker 1: I was Yeah, I use the term the term milk toast to describe a really boring breakfast, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll test a lot, and I like it because it does have that sort of double entundra, like it like you imagine it being a boring.
Speaker 1: Breakfast and also toasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it sounds like a gross bread to be honest, milk toast, what do you's just pouring milk?
Speaker 1: Milk.
Speaker 6: It's like at the end of Get Out when she's like drinking the cereal separately. It's like disturbing milk just dairy in general.
Speaker 2: So is it just to close the loop on this way? I'm assuming you were searching American exceptionalism still true? And is it still? We're still exceptional? Right, We're still the best thing.
Speaker 6: I think that we're more the best than ever according to the people in charge.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Made it great and we're never leaving. Good job, everybody.
Speaker 2: What is something that you guys think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, we.
Speaker 6: We you think going to the movies is underrated, and and we say that because I feel like I care deeply about the movies and I want them to thrive, and I think it's harder and harder for them to get made because people don't go to the movies.
Speaker 3: This is very nico, Yes, very nicol answer here is yeah, there we go. We come to this place for magic because it is.
Speaker 2: I like to end the end of conversation like that, even when it doesn't apply at all, because here it is because it doesn't really you know, harp, which is feel good in a place like that, you know, it just does heartbreak feels good in a place like this because here it is because he is, we're being.
Speaker 3: Movies and she wasn't. One of my favorite movies of the year. Cool baby boy, she believes it, she walks the walk. We loved Baby Girl.
Speaker 6: We love Baby Girls so much that we were forced to see it with open captions. We were because because we saw in the afternoon, and in the afternoon is when all the open cash movies are, which we didn't know. But we loved it so much that we even loved it despite it being showing, which is of course obviously it's inaccessibility, but when you don't need the open captions, and we were like, still.
Speaker 2: Do they do they like say the joke before that it happens like on I hate Netflix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like this, you know, it's like this music is playing like that stop.
Speaker 6: You anyway, no one asked us to do make the open captions, although maybe they would be.
Speaker 3: I do realize that I am going off when I when I because I do have everybody does now.
Speaker 7: Actually we watched them. Have you guys seen the movie Kneecap?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, okay, it's so.
Speaker 2: I did watch it with the captions, and.
Speaker 6: We I feel like we saw at once in the theater together with Rachel's family, and then we watch it again with Rachel's family at home with captions, and I felt like I hurt. I got so much more on it just from that accent. Now you speak Gaelic, Yeah, exactly, and well, so they are. I do feel like this is a thing that capitalism is stolen from us, because now I do feel like because I'm also like very concerned about the state of like going to the movies and movie theaters, and so I feel bad anytime I'm like talking shit about a movie that's still in the theaters because but that's against the party line. I want to still be able to talk shit about movies. That's like the fun but part of the experience. I also spend like the entire twenty minutes before people are seated and the movie starts just constantly like started gailing, what like the things that are going to go wrong, Like is that person going to sit right in front of that person they.
Speaker 3: Know that they're not, you know.
Speaker 6: In these we go to BAM, which is like one of the few places where you can like actually just pick your seat when you get there, which I do appreciate.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hate the like planned thing. I hate the lack of spontaneity, but.
Speaker 6: I'm also like completely anxious for like thirty minutes while I'm like watching people be like are you going.
Speaker 3: To fuck this experience up for me? Are you gonna sit ring in front of me? Are you going to like be the one eating all the popworn all the whole time?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: And at the same time, where like the reason we feel like going part of the reason that's underrated is that like going to have an experience in a room with a bunch of strangers, and like having this communal experience is something that we don't again like talk about capitalism, like everything is privatized. No, but everybody is like in their own homes, like not in the world and being in community, and like the movies are still one of the only places that you can kind of have that experience.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, and I eat popcorn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. A lot of other places that I'm willing to go and eat popcorn, but the movies is the most socially accepted one. What is something you guys think is overrated? Okay, unless was there another underrated?
Speaker 3: Or we do everything together, so are underrated?
Speaker 6: Are the same we think eating in restaurants is highly overrated, and this is sort of you know, like I think some people like this is their communal version, but I really I especially in America today, I hate a restaurants and in New York and in New York specifically, I think this also goes back to like this spontaneity thing of like going to a movie theater with everything Sunday. Now it's like New York is you can't just walk into a fucking run, which is like one of the things that I think makes New York. So you want to go to a restaurant when you're like out and you're like, oh shit, we're hungry, Let's go to this restaurant, have this experience. You can't do it if you didn't plan your whole night and advance your whole like months in advance. For most places, like even like shitty restaurants are like, oh do you have a resume?
Speaker 1: Like like you can buy it from a reservation scalper.
Speaker 3: Stupid, and.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I don't like that.
Speaker 6: We like certain kinds of restaurant experiences like Chinatown, like Brighton Beach, going to like out, you know, into deep having like dumplings and having an adventure, but like the prospect of like.
Speaker 3: Trying to just eat a meal with some people on any given night, and like a mediocre restaurant with a night.
Speaker 6: Everything is too expensive now, And I feel like that also has to do with the fact that, like, if you travel, you'll see a little bit more equity between like the people who are serving you and the people who were and now it's just like everything else in America, it's like completely massive discrepancy there, and so I think that that makes it just fundamentally not fun anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed, there we go overrated.
Speaker 1: Odd place we live in.
Speaker 2: I mean, even one of the good restaurants experiences you were talking about was also a movie, so that Chinatown, which is a good all right, Well, that was great. We're gonna take a quick break. We're gonna come back. We're gonna talk about some news stories that are happening to the zeitgeist, which is one of the words in the title of this podcast. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, We're back.
Speaker 2: And hey, this this kind of relates to what your area of expertise, what your podcast is about. We've been noticing a lot of articles about the gen Z millennial debt crisis, but we don't really like to look into why that's happening. I think it's probably just like personal responsibility, you know how, like when there's crimes and then we like to look at individual people and be like, this guy, what a bad person they are for doing that crime, but don't we don't like to like look into broad systemic reasons behind things in the same way with the with the debt crisis. Is that sort of thing you've noticed.
Speaker 3: All personal science is one's own responsibility?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why can't you guys just get it together together?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was so worried you guys are going to call us broke boys. When you came on the PODYA.
Speaker 6: Everybody thinks we're a financial like literacy podcast, and we're.
Speaker 3: Like, no, do not take advice from us. I mean the advice I think we want people to.
Speaker 7: Take from us is exactly what you're saying, which is like, we need to start questioning the bigger picture versus why we're all led to believe that if we are quote unquote failing at finance and it's just because of something that we did or we ate too much avocado toast or you know, it's sort of like we're trying to help people come to that conclusion in a way that makes them feel It's.
Speaker 6: Also like you're mentioning that it's like a big topic right now for gen Z millennials, which is its own story. But every year in January they have the same stories. Oh my god, everybody has to pay off the contract. It's like, here's how here's somebody who's going to come home today. Yeah, yes, exactly, And they're like, here's the five tips, and they're always the same thing, and it's like we you know, one of the main things that started this whole idea was like this, these same fucking five tips have been you know, doled out on major news outlets for years, years and years and years, and it's always the same. That's increasing, that's increasing, it's never not increasing, right, So we're.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't I think maybe these tips aren't working.
Speaker 1: Have you tried Have you tried not eating though, like they said, I actually have.
Speaker 3: In high school, it was a dark ye if you're in it.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't see the inside of.
Speaker 3: A restaurant unless you're working there. We're not gonna and say that.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're not going to anyway because we with the restaurant.
Speaker 1: I don't have reservations.
Speaker 2: The only reason.
Speaker 3: Why exactly we can get in, it's not because we can't afford them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so y'all want a couple of baconators, So do you have reservations to win?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So then you can fuck off?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Like the last few months, constantly just like headline after a headline, there's one like that came out last week. It's like sixty two percent of gen Z you have zero emergency savings. I'm like, bro, I didn't have emergency savings, like fucking I was thirty three. I thought for me, savings was like ship I saved up for so I could waste it on buying something. It wasn't like long term savings things because again I was raised to be financially illiterate. And yeah, like to your point, many these so many these articles are written in a way that's sort of like, oh, so what are they gonna do since they're all screwed, rather than any kind of again, substantive analysis on the era we live in and like the corporate greed that seems to you know, dictate everything. This one USA Today article that says more millennials are falling into debt? What's to blame for this worrisome trend? I said, let me do a command def and see if capitalism. So no, nope, nope, it's stuff like like one or like interest rates. Sure, okay, great. But then there's other ones where they found one guy who they're like this, one guy I started a business selling Pokemon cards and financed it with credit cards, and now he's all fucking upside down on this, and you're like, okay, sure, that's a true story about one person that helps me the generation.
Speaker 2: He actually couldn't find any financially stupid people before the ninety nine No, actually everyone was financially s baby boomer financial.
Speaker 3: I rean that why, Yeah, we're dumb. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: I read this tweet that we were talking about the other day that was like the amount of minimum wage that would have to exist for us to have like the same spending potential as boomers is sixty dicks sixty sixty dicks sixty six dollars power.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I'm back, hold on, what was that sixty?
Speaker 2: What was that about? Sixty dicks sixty yeah.
Speaker 7: You would need to make sixty six dollars per hour to have the same spending power.
Speaker 2: But the idea of raising the minimum wage is like everybody, like, the idea of like a thirty dollars minimum wage like hits people's ears, Like what's next, They're gonna make kids.
Speaker 1: Go to the bathroom, and literally so much so much of that pushback comes from like older generations, especially boomers, who continue to like look at our financial situation through the prism of their fucking experiences. I mean kids, just good of I was a waitress and I had an apartment, and you're like, uh huh, yeah. Like I have so many conversations with my older relatives who have kids that are millennials and younger where I'm constantly telling them they're like, they are not fucking up for starters, because.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in fact, so much of this problem is because we're following the boomer playbook, which is historically unprecedented. Like the amount of access to socialism that they had is unprecedented in our history. It was one time I don't say that word, yeah, but I mean that's what they had. And then literally, i mean we're writing about this like literally at the beginning of the millennial era, like late seventies early eighties is when everything changes across.
Speaker 3: The board and it all really comes down to that period of time.
Speaker 6: It was like but and many other things, but like culturally that and politically, that's when everything changed. And then they're like, well we did it this way, and it's like we're still fun. We're still saying, oh, we got to go to college, but now it's really expensive. We're like, you've got to get a house, but we can't afford it. You've got to like you know, risk everything for your like the American dream, and it's like no, because we have predatory credit cards to work with, not like you know, low finance loans are like access.
Speaker 3: To you know, interest rate exactly exactly.
Speaker 7: And even like in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, like I was walking around the other day and it's all these like capital like venture capital, like dentists and vets.
Speaker 3: You know that we're like don't exist anymore. We don't even think.
Speaker 7: We don't even stop to think about like how concentrated the wealth is and how few people own so much, and how we don't even have like the fighting chance.
Speaker 6: Like the thing that day the thing that so many of these people like to hold up as the stand American standard, this like entrepreneurial bootstraps experience, which is, by the way, like fucking myth, but they still hold it up.
Speaker 3: And the irony is right now, like nobody's an entrepreneur.
Speaker 6: Everybody's just using their inherited generational wealth to like mastimize their profits.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the predatory aspect, yeah, absolutely, Like inequality is often raised as like an issue, but they don't talk about the fact that, like the way wealthy people are investing their money is oftentimes in things that are you know, preying on people who have less. It's like literal is the is the problem. And it's also the like mechanism that is.
Speaker 1: Your stock and private prison stock has a skyrocket.
Speaker 6: It's exactly exactly that's I know, we were talking joking that we were going to just make as our next episode, but this is like, actually this is episode instead of our next person.
Speaker 2: It does remind me of how we think about the environment also in modern America, where it's always based around personal responsibility and like every when when people think about like being environmentally responsible and like they they think about littering, they think about like recycling. They think about these small like things.
Speaker 1: That having a dog, Ye, that was another one I saw, Well, you shouldn't have a dog because they eat meat and therefore they're contributing to agric these.
Speaker 2: Like massive forces that like are out of our control, like they we should be like perpetrated by people who we should be naming hurricanes after. But instead of doing that, we're just like all, like we we fucked up. We like drove our kids to school today, and like that's what We're part of the problem.
Speaker 3: Because it's insult to injury.
Speaker 6: It's like you're forced into so much of this right, like people buy on Amazon because they can't afford time or money to go shopping in their local businesses, or their local business doesn't exist, Like it's it's a catch twenty two that affects the poor more often than they're rich. So to be environmentally like conscientious or or like make any changes, there is sort of a privilege that some people have some people don't. And I think that when we you know, like you're saying, like focus on this one aspect of it and not just king to it too, Yeah, then then you lose the conversation.
Speaker 3: And where where the you know, blame.
Speaker 1: Really lies, right, and these articles just do fuck all to like actually inform anyone too, because like one thing, it's like they they'll they'll kind of hint at wages being so depressed, and you're like, go on, You're like, okay, so on, now if you said no, it's causing all this, and you said it's the wages, okay, so let's let's start following the questions up the top. So okay, so who is setting the wages? Okay, and now how are those people, those companies fairing financially? Oh, doing really well?
Speaker 3: Pretty well?
Speaker 2: Yeah they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just such again. And so many of these articles are designed to kind of keep people not having I think you guys talk about this just sort of like the imagination to understand like what is what can be done differently and what should be done differently, rather than keep people in the same sort of like hamster wheel, Well you shouldn't have done this, And honestly, it's like not a fault that you can't get a high pig job and all there is.
Speaker 3: Is gig work out there and that's just the way it is.
Speaker 7: That's my favorite, like, well, why is it like this it's like you sound like a three year old, a five year old, but like it's like, well why, and there's no answer, Like it's not a natural law, Like this is a choice, you know, like these are choices that were made.
Speaker 6: Everything, every everything in our lives is stectated on the economy, and yet we're told that.
Speaker 1: Or it's not a human choice, or you're chastised and told you have too much of a utopian view of the future to think that this is what how it should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have too much of a few of the future. Meanwhile, the only answer that anybody has is, well, this is.
Speaker 2: This is the way it is. Yeah, so anyway, it's just natural that uh, the you know, wages that people earn will stay flat for decades. Well, but so that must mean then that the price of things that people have to pay for has stay flat too.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, now everything is so that's how.
Speaker 2: The company's earnings are going. Or having read a breaking profit, rh okay, that's what la is.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 1: I joke about this all the time with my partner, her majesty. She'll be like, guess how much this was? I go twenty bucks. It'll be like a juice, right, and I'm like, she's like, actually pretty close. I'm like yeah, because fucking everything, Like we're starting the conversation.
Speaker 2: At twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you can't just go get her sandwich. You can't leave the house on the open. Yeah, exactly, there's a person waiting outside my door in the hallway.
Speaker 1: And let me see why, Andrew Jack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not gonna tip them on your twenty dollars juice, Well you're the fucking problem. Then hold on.
Speaker 1: Don't you pay their wages yet? But I ain't paying them that much. I got to come in with the tips.
Speaker 3: Come on now, exactly, run a business, all right.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll talk about some news. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: We're just talking Frondia talking space bags, talking Frondia space That's what.
Speaker 1: I used to call it, hitting a volcano. Vaporizer courage.
Speaker 2: You would put the box one just in a box. You wouldn't have that space bag in there, you know, what do you mean a saggy ass box?
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about I don't think you kind of recycle the space bag.
Speaker 2: Now, just that's all that's going to be left.
Speaker 1: They were an interesting people. They worship these spacebags.
Speaker 2: All right, finally some good news. D C is actually safe now.
Speaker 1: It has been declared, even though we are fully into the second week of the FEDS just absolutely taking over the capitol.
Speaker 2: Not like even a full week. We're in the second week, but like it hasn't been a full week since he declared, right, like that was happening at the beginning of last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're like entering.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, but this is what this is just record breaking time that I've got. I've got to say.
Speaker 1: Look and so yeah, dude, you know, so I guess you know, once big balls got jumped by some kids and what was the saddest version of like what people are calling the Reichstag fire. Trump declared all out fed war on DC, and we've just seen countless clips and images of you know, just masked goons looking bored as hell on the streets of DC likes to be with their slouched posture and like stupid punisher masks, and people are like, dude, get the fuck out of my way. First of all, I've been reading something there's it's fucking up local businesses in DC because people are like, bro, no one's coming to bars or restaurants because you have fucking goons everywhere and the vibes are completely fucked up because it's a quote unquote war zone.
Speaker 2: But no matter, you don't like safety, come on like that. This is not safe, bro, Trump from Jaws, You're like, get out there, come on, guys, it's fun.
Speaker 1: The water's something. Although I did see a clip of some a bunch of goofed up loser mask cops try to violently arrest a guy and one of the goons thought he was like Ken Shamrock and the ww F or some shit and smashed his own head trying to suplex the guy like he was like wrestling and like fell back, and then the cops just hit his own head, and then all the other cops.
Speaker 2: Like, dude, are you okay? And he's like no, he's like the dumbest ship.
Speaker 1: And then they're fuckingolently arresting some innocent, fucking resident. But again, it's nonsense. Anyway, mister Donald has solved it. He declared victory on Kirkland signature Twitter. He said, quote DC gave fake crime numbers in order to create a fellos illusion of safety. This is a very bad and dangerous thing to do, and they're under serious investigation for doing so. Until four days ago, Washing DC, Washington, d C was the most unsafe quote city. I don't know what the.
Speaker 2: City he loves.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love a quote.
Speaker 1: Unsafe city in the United States and perhaps the world. Now in just a short period of time, it is perhaps the safest uh and getting better every single hour. People are flocking to d C again, and soon the beautification will begin. So anyway, I wish that he.
Speaker 3: Wasn't the president because he's such a funny, stupid bitch.
Speaker 2: That is that is like most mortage speed that he's bred. That he's claiming this happened like.
Speaker 3: Four days wasn't the most content to stand up.
Speaker 2: And now people are literally flocking fling.
Speaker 7: I also just want to say one thing, like I feel like kirkland signature is too nice of a turn at kirk.
Speaker 3: We're costco heads.
Speaker 1: In this true value I don't know. I mean, I don't want to malign any of the storm because they give us an affordable alternative. But like anyway, the other lever that Trump does like to pull as a distraction aside from anti black racism, is crime wave the crime wave lever, because that is one of the few things that still people have crime in this like nebulous part of their brain where even though they have first hand experience with crime rates, dropping pundits on TV can just be like crime wave, like a common Michael Scott and it's somehow there lived experience and like, yeah, yeah, it's fun. It's a crime wave right now. It's so unsafe. I've never seen crime where I live at all, but.
Speaker 3: Everything else, but it's there, it's out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I heard about this one guy who yeah big, he got swept up in a crime wave. Guys, there's a fucking drug fire. There's a drug fire. He's walking his baby drug fire after the mass shooting.
Speaker 3: And the crime wave actually put it out because it was like a wave.
Speaker 1: First of all, my baby was trying to surf the crime wave onto a drug fire and he bailed so hard into a mass shooting. One more time for everyone on the back.
Speaker 4: My infant nearly died in a drunk fire after mass shootings.
Speaker 2: Uh huh uh huh okay, merely died.
Speaker 3: He nearly died.
Speaker 2: In a drug fire.
Speaker 1: I would love if he didn't even have a kid that, like Benny Johnson has no children. He's just straight up fucking lying to you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I would like that better. I think that he realized he sounds like funnier.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It is boom times for white collar crime, though. But I will say this has been true since back in uh May, but now now it's getting even I mean it's been true since forever that white color crime private equity anyone as defined as crime committed by wealthy financial institutions. But you know, white collar crime of all sorts. It's just like all the investigations, all the really bad ones that the FBI was like looking into, have been replaced with, you know, going out and like sending a bunch of fucking bureaucrats out to just like mill about and be like glorified beat cups. They've been apparently reassigning white collar crime task forces to like do immigration enforcement now, which they're not pleased with as people who were got into the job of investigating white color crime. But you know, I'm sure it's I'm sure it's working and doing doing wonders for the safety people are flocking.
Speaker 3: I hear people are flocking to white collar crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 1: It's harder than TikTok.
Speaker 7: The only thing you have to make sure you don't do it when you do a white color crime is then become a reality television star, because you can do one or the other, but you can't do both if you don't.
Speaker 1: Look who got out though, Look who got out though? You know what I mean, they got out.
Speaker 6: When the white color criminal who was also a reality stars in the white house. They think it's okay, it's any other Yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 3: I mean more like the Real Housewives, like they can't do those.
Speaker 1: Or Todd Christ you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, right, I forgot about it and.
Speaker 1: They got out because again the rules are, if you're white and do white collar crime, then you have a shot at getting a pardon.
Speaker 3: Isn't that what the white and white color crimes I feel it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, white color crime. Oh my god. Yeah. Anyways, that I mean, it is truly the crime that is causing that. You know, it's causing a lot of the problems that we're talking about, right, and of course it is the one that is must be avoided and ignored.
Speaker 1: What's what's like been a perpetrator in terms of as you guys try to find out who murdered your bank accounts, what's a name name, what's a suspect that you've identified?
Speaker 3: No, I think Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 6: I think that that's a you can really a lot comes back to that, but it goes you know, I think it starts at the beginning of this American experience, which is that it's all entirely based around an economy that is not really designed to make everybody happy and free. But specifically, when we're talking about millennials and we're talking about the last one hundred years, we are talking about what we spoke of before, which is, like, the difference is that millennials are experiencing based on policy decisions I started in the eighties. But you know, this goes back to like things that were were built up around the First World Wars, which is like, we need to buy stuff to make this economy work, and everybody is in the business of buying or selling stuff for us to buyer. So right, yeah, and I think and and like, so everything is pushing us into that and simultaneously making it impossible for us to make a living at it because like all the things we said before, people aren't really running small businesses anymore. So it's just like, I mean, I think really what we're what we're looking at is just how how do we imagine a different way of living around outside of this economy that we've been brought up to believe is like truly and the only option.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and also just not getting the information that like we've learned so much about just like the we were, We've been shocked by so many things that we've learned in researching this podcast, Like we interviewed this woman, Elena Botea, who worked at Capital One for years and then she became a journalist, and she said something Rachel Hurd on a zoom that was like, there was no household consumer debt consumer debt before before in nineteen eighty three, and we were like credit cards and the banks are obviously.
Speaker 2: How did that be?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Like you just imagine that this is something that always existed in in reality, it's not. It's not that old. It's it's our age. And so if it's our age, why does it have to be like the rule of the of the land. Why can't you like think of something.
Speaker 2: Else that's like because we're eating too much goddamn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And not buying wedding rings.
Speaker 2: When was avocado toast invented? I'm just saying nine four, nineteen eighty four, twenty four. Yeah, I do. Like they're mad at us for eating avocado toast, but also mad at us for not buying diamond wedding rings, which are way more expensive and financially responsible.
Speaker 7: Decisions weddings, Like they're bad about it. Everything about like the modern wedding experience that we're told is like the thing that we're supposed to do. I mean, it is one of the reasons why I got into debt when I looked back on it, because I went to so many bachelotte parties, I bought so many bridesmaids dresses, I bought so many gifts for people to go to their weddings, and like that is something I was led to believe was what I needed to do in order to stay in the group socially, right, But in reality is just like draining my all of my bank account.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile, like the.
Speaker 6: People who are making money are doing it investing in debt, right, investing in pretend money. But that doesn't that doesn't transfer down to those of us who are actually being like you're saying, lended in a predatory manner, and then it becomes something that you can never get out of. Yeah yeah, but debt is like just one piece of the bigger picture, which I think is that just like we are watching the transfer of wealth from the middle class to whatever is left in the middle class, middle middle and lower class working class to you know a few people basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Claudia Scheinbaum, the you know, president of Mexico, talks about she just openly says, like neoliberalism is a mechanism for redistributing wealth from the middle class upward. Like that's that's all it is, and just like that's an openly agreed to like definition of it in other countries.
Speaker 1: But down there, but here in California, that's the way we do business. That's the way we do it.
Speaker 3: You got to get that twenty dollars air Airs movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did want to talk about this just a little bit about me. Anytime I read a New York or article, I have to talk about it on the podcast because I'm so proud about it. But I do think that that's.
Speaker 1: Every week.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think it ties into the conversation we're having because there's a new article about the ultra wealthyes trend of trying to live forever, and like just like oh god, yeah, sure everything, and it's that just mostly boomer age people like that. They they talk to this one woman who works in the industry and she's like, no, no, the industry live forever, the longevity industry. They interview one woman who like works in the longevity industry of like, you know, just these people are like tested every week, like they're like, okay, inhale into this bag, give us your poop, Like we need to like make sure that you are just like perfectly monitored. And she was saying that these are all people who spent their health getting rich, so like for the first half of their life they were just like working around the clock trying to get rich, and now they're rich, and they're trying to like get their health back through these means because they're like scared of death and they don't want to admit that they fucked up. But what all right, So two of the details that jumped out to me. One is the richest people already lived twelve years longer than the poorest in this country like that, just in addition to being proof that our world is a disaster, that capitalism's already broken. Like it's just wild that these people who are driving this entire industry are already like maxed out, which is what they find Like afterwards, there's just like, yeah, it turns out like all these things that people are doing can help somebody if they were not already doing these things, but they already so like it doesn't help them. It's just this like soulless end of life, denial of death, like addiction to the idea of like self and like perpetuating yourself is essentially like a religion. It's like what these people have instead of religion at this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it kind of boils down like what the problem is just generally right, it's like I'm so afraid, like you can't take your money with you, right, and you're like so afraid.
Speaker 2: Of like with me, I'm never gonna die exactly.
Speaker 6: So if I don't die, then I you know, I never have to worry about it, and then I don't have to question like what the fuck was all of this for?
Speaker 3: And what was I doing with like hoarding my wealth to make sure that like I'm healthy.
Speaker 7: Like again, it like goes back to not giving a shit about the collective and being like I need to make sure that like I'm okay, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It crystallizes the irony we've been talking about, which is that like everybody's dollar is made on burning this planet up more and more and more, and so what's worse than the lack of survival of planet Earth?
Speaker 3: Like the most miraculous thing we've ever like conceived of this.
Speaker 1: Like I'm just going to build a bomb shelter.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like, don't look up. It's like exactly, like don't look.
Speaker 2: At you know. Did you guys see Mountainhead the movie by the guy who we have, yeah, the succession guy. It's it's worth while. Steve Carrell's character is the is just exactly this guy, like he knows he finds out that he has a like terminal diagnosis, and he keeps just being like, wow, you're not very smart, are you? To his doctors, like just being like I am I have a genius level IQ actually, and I'm going to beat this thing.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Yeah, of course that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: It is kind of funny that they the two things that everybody says are like inevitabilities of the human condition are and taxes and like that's all these people spend their entire lives just trying to avoid Yeah, theseus kids or like yeah, right, will show you.
Speaker 3: My life's purpose is to prove this wrong and in the meantime lose it all.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the one good idea, I will say this is a little investment tip. One of the technologies they're looking at that I guarantee these like very rich people are going to spend a lot of money on is a smart toilet that basically like reads your ship for like signs of disease, and like they're like really investing hard in this, and I feel like I feel like that is inevitably that that's the next Aura ring, Which is funny.
Speaker 1: Because that would help just like if everyone had access to that, if everyone had But no, it's going to be like this thing they parade around Silicon Valley and it's probably going to start off as like some dude underneath the house like just running like fucking tests on it. The technology isn't there yet a mechanical turd, if you.
Speaker 2: Will, sure.
Speaker 7: Like printers in the in the nineties, Like they're gonna be just like a bajillion dollars and then one day Monday.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah, but again it's the same thing.
Speaker 6: Like it to your point, if everybody had access to these things, yeah, that would be fabulous. Yeah, make them to privatize them, make them an entity that you need to spend like, you know, bajillion dollars on.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, like flying cars are a thing. They're just a thing for like the ultra ultra wealthy. You know, essentially it's just like helicopters and private private jets. Yeah, and then you know we like all the sci fi shit from the future exists, like it just exists for only the ultra wealthy. Yeah, yeah, like living well, which I think is pretty cool. Yeah, exactly, eternally eternal.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I mean I think for us, that's like should be a motivator to get our ship together so we can be one of these people.
Speaker 2: And also on your grind set.
Speaker 1: When someone starts talking about progressive tax systems, like I'll hold the fuck up because when I'm one of these billies, Okay, I don't want to deal with that, So I'm gonna protect my investment Yeah.
Speaker 7: We're just gonna keep walking around eating dumplings from Chinatown and helping for the best.
Speaker 3: That's our pink.
Speaker 2: I think that sounds like a good plan. Sound also like I have invested a lot of time and looking walking around looking for a bag of money. So if anybody always like it for that or like loose drugs that fell off a.
Speaker 3: Truck, that sounds like, yeah, in a fire, in a fire.
Speaker 1: After a mass after after a mass to trial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Jamie and Rachel, such a pleasure having you both. Where can people find you? Hear you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: You can currently find us on Apple Podcasts the Best so far lest A Bang Bong Boom.
Speaker 6: There's ten of us, and we are one of them were I believe we are the only ones who do not have any other people working on their podcast besides them, or budget or budget, or have monetized anything. If you want to listen to it, go how and give us five stars.
Speaker 7: Capitalism Yeah, rate us in a reviewers even if you don't like it, but pretend like you do.
Speaker 6: And we are on subsac as well. We're on Instagram and TikTok periodically. Mostly we're here in this room trying to finish our first season and make good on that best so far name Moniker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd like to get sure tied up. Yeah, honestly, are.
Speaker 3: Yeah trying to get rid of We're trying to lose this so far by the end of the year. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we both just saw the movie. Sorry, baby, have you heard of this one?
Speaker 2: I've heard of it. I really want to see it.
Speaker 6: Really good, really really really excellent Triple Threat Eva Victor writer director, she's the writer director, starf star. Never heard of her before. It was so lovely, Yeah, very sweet, so sweet movie lovely.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, sounds awesome. Miles Where can people find you their work in media?
Speaker 1: You've been Yeah, find me everywhere at Miles of Gray. I'm still talking about ninety Day Fiance on four to twenty Day Fiance. Let's see a couple. There's a Yes, there's a work of media like let me Summon It really quick on Blue Sky it's from Ben Collins tim Onion as he's known on Blue Sky US because like MSNBC is changing to ms now, because like NBC is spinning it off. I'm sure we'll talk about it later. But there's a lot of people talking about the spin off of MSNBC, so he said quote they should have rebranded it to MSNBA. Chris Hayes should have hooped. He's tall as hell. New Morning Show of Rachel Maddow and the Professor from the and One Street Tour. Most programming is now about low post footwork and the second apron and I'm like, yeah, yeah, that's good. And then another one at John Taylor dot bs dot social posted a picture of Alec Baldwin as Jack Donnegie from thirty Rock and it says, it's not an MSNBC anymore, Lemon, it's ms NOW. We bought the name off of defunct multiple sclerosis awareness organization. It wasn't cheap, but we were able to save money, save some money by sending Brian Williams to a Saudi prince who wanted to expand his harem Uh, fantastic, fantastic writing ms NOW.
Speaker 6: That's like something else in my Google searches that it tells you about me because I'm so health looking.
Speaker 8: I have health multiples for us. Sometimes don't use the internet to diagnose yourself. But that's the arrow in what are we just do a doctor? Yes, all right, okay, stopped going to the doctor for some reason.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna use chat GPT. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tweet I've been enjoying. Alib tweeted, I hate that amcad where that couple has a dance battle, then races then almost kisses. I hate It's just I do too. I was like I had to, I had blocked it out of my brain. But that is a bummer. I also saw the New Naked Gun. I enjoyed that.
Speaker 3: That was great fun in the theater, in the theater, yes, full circle.
Speaker 2: We did it. We did it.
Speaker 1: I was facetiming you from the theater and you watched on FaceTime.
Speaker 2: But you did you buy a ticket?
Speaker 1: Nope? I again after I saw yeah, just saw some other ship.
Speaker 2: But the people who were there with you enjoying your laughter like that.
Speaker 1: I mean there, I'm like, oh, Jack, can you see can you see?
Speaker 2: Hey? My man? Sit down?
Speaker 1: Sit down.
Speaker 2: Out in my pocket like her? All right. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeitgeist. Were at the Daily Zeitgeist. On Instagram, you can go to the description of this episode wherever you're listening to it. And underneath the show description you will find the footnote, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might joy. Is there a song that you think that people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is called Temma Barroco and it's by the Argentinian guitarist legend. His name is Augustine Pereira Lucina. And this is just like kind of if you like, like kind of Boston Nova, sort of South American guitar picking. This is perfect. It just has that nice texture to just get you relaxed as we are in the depths of another week and fucking in this heaven we call the United States. So anyway, check this track out. It's fantastic listening music to have in the background, just having you feeling good. So anyway, Tema Baroco, check it out right.
Speaker 2: We will link off to that in the footnotes. ZS is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the Heart Radio ap Apple podcast wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning. We are back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to y' all.
Speaker 3: Then, Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 6: The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine Law, co produced by by Wang, co.
Speaker 1: Produced by Victor Wright, co written by J M mcnapp, edited and engineered by Justin Conner
Speaker 6: H