Speaker 1: Welcome back to artists and artists and artists and artists. This week on the show, the most incredible artists that have ever existed Irish Playwrights.
Speaker 2: Ireland is known for its rich culture and even richer art, and nothing captures the inspiration of dark, brooding, yet whimsically funny plays like Irish playwrights.
Speaker 3: There are countless famous Irish playwrights we could name, but we got four of them and sat them together in a room to talk.
Speaker 4: About their craft. So sit back and listen. In Ireland, so I says.
Speaker 5: To the guy.
Speaker 2: I says, I'm going to need a pint if you're going to hear my stories. He pours me a pint, And there I am sitting at the bar right on the coast, just wondering, you know, when is the fuse going to blow on this fella? When is this book going to absolutely lose his fuse. We sit there for hours and hours and hours. All of a sudden, he tells me, you know, I'm a twin. I go, huh, I've been a twin this whole time. Him and his brother have been switching every time they go back to the bar, and it's actually influenced two boys by the sea for me.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, twins, twin God's trick. Twins have always been God's trick, the greatest trick God has ever pulled.
Speaker 4: A twinking too at once you think it's twins.
Speaker 5: Well, what a folly for man to say, I'm one of a kind. To look next to you and see someone who's one of your kind as well.
Speaker 6: Well, you've heard the legend of the Double Saints Day.
Speaker 5: No I haven't. Now what's the legend of the Double Saints.
Speaker 6: The legend of the Double Saints Day goes as follows. Fifteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: There's a royal scribe who's loyal to the king, and every day he takes his coffee and he writes down his ideas.
Speaker 6: He says, yes, sir, yes, sir, yes, sir, yes sir.
Speaker 3: Then one of the days he strangles him to death, and the king is so confused, and that's when the double of him steps out from the church, but looking exactly as the same as the man who murdered him. And that's why we celebrate Double Saints Day, because on that day there were two saints, but one was evil.
Speaker 4: They made an evil state.
Speaker 3: The story again because it's too painful if you tell a story twice, that makes the twin of a story.
Speaker 4: And I am.
Speaker 3: Not I'm not a superstitious man, but I do not like to replicate ideas lest they become another and killed the king.
Speaker 1: We're four minutes into this episode. I like to talk to everyone about moments they've seen in their life.
Speaker 4: I think I saw God.
Speaker 5: Do we say our names?
Speaker 4: And when we saw God?
Speaker 5: And when you saw God? Some of your works? And then maybe when you saw God, if God exists at all.
Speaker 2: Now that's a query for another day, a query for hid Pint.
Speaker 5: There might not be another day. There's no guarantee that we are ever going to see out of this episode, is there?
Speaker 4: I like to hope.
Speaker 5: I know that I'm a living, breathing person. But when this recording shuts off, do I continue? I would say yes? Will you say yes tomorrow? Will you be able to?
Speaker 4: Will you be able to?
Speaker 5: Will you be able to? So go ahead, tell us some plays? Your name and when last year you first me enough?
Speaker 6: My name is Samuel McCleary.
Speaker 4: McCleary, I and I wrote to.
Speaker 6: Waiting for One Sister by the Long Dark.
Speaker 2: Peer, one of the most famous Irish plays to come out in the last century, I would say.
Speaker 4: Two sentences waiting for one sister period by the dark, what is it at the dog for.
Speaker 5: One dark sister period by the peer.
Speaker 4: By the peer.
Speaker 3: But it was waiting for one sister period period period at the end of a long dark pier.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is interesting because that's not a complete sentence at the end of the dark.
Speaker 4: That's what I like about it.
Speaker 3: Well, you think it is until you read the rest of the play, and that's when it becomes clear that there was a sentence where there ought not be because we ought not to be watching this, we ought to not.
Speaker 4: Be reading this.
Speaker 5: Irish playwrights, the act of writing for us is the act our language. We have a work a way we work with language tis unlike anybody else. It's our playtool with their periods wherever we want. We make things look like poems when they're simply just dialogue. It's what we do.
Speaker 4: It's what we do.
Speaker 3: And this this, this, this play that was born in in my heart and and and and translated to the stage. It tells the story of two men waiting and waiting and waiting for their sister because they're all going to go fishing together and they can't wait to fish with their sister because they've heard she has a great shot.
Speaker 4: They with the fish.
Speaker 3: She she has a special way of fishing where she shoots the fish with a rifle. And the two men can't wait to see this technique. And they can't wait unless they try it themselves, lest they believe in themselves muster up.
Speaker 6: The courage to shoot a fish on their own.
Speaker 4: They do not.
Speaker 3: They wait for the sister. And it is an exercise in futility. Because does the sister ever come, well, that's up for debate.
Speaker 5: If she does not, they starve. I thought, I.
Speaker 4: Love in I love when the big poffer fish comes in, and some interpret that fish to be the sister.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, many interpret it as the sister. And that pofferfish usually played by uh traditionally played by a fellow, and drag is a fellow, a fellow in drag, a fellow in drag, a couple.
Speaker 4: Fellah in drag. And it is.
Speaker 3: And when when the poffer fish sings the ballad of of of the Ocean, it is then that the brothers realize their futility. And I know a bit about futility because I well, I was raised on a farm with my siblings, and.
Speaker 6: We had the sheep. But the sheep were too cold, and so they wouldn't produce enough sheep stuff wool.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't enough, they wouldn't produce enough warm and I stories.
Speaker 4: So here's the dilemma.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite profound. The sheep were too cold to produce the very wold that would save them.
Speaker 5: So when was the last time you saw God?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: And Samuel, how, I'm fifty seven and I see God every day. I look in the mirror and I believe he has possessed me. I believe he has possessed my spirit and he won't let go. And he's demanded that I write these plays. I don't want to write them. I wish I didn't have to, but God has told me to. And that's where I see called.
Speaker 4: Fifty seven's good ripe age to write. Yeah, I stated, the fifties are the Irish playwrights twenties?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, it's the fifties are basically you've left university.
Speaker 4: You've just left university and finally try and weird stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, your biological clock is ticking. As a playwright when you get to mid fifties and you go I got to write to play.
Speaker 5: It's literally like I sometimes teach a course at Trinity College in Dublin. Chiez. Of course, for these twenty year olds, their scripts might, as will say, googoglea googola, and some of them literally do.
Speaker 4: In my forties, I only did one act, hit fifty finally told the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the story.
Speaker 5: Enough, introduce yourself, enough you all right? My name is Daniel Cricket. You've been a playwright my whole life. I'm seventy nine years old, about to dip into the great unknown that.
Speaker 2: Is eighty eighty.
Speaker 5: My father died at eighty, so now I will live the same life he has lived when he died. Will I've meet my maker the day he meet his I do not know, but I will see. I've written a very very famous play that's been done all around the world. It's called The goal Away Girl. It's about an old woman who lives on a cliff, who sees every man she ever loved as a ghost jumping off the cliff every night.
Speaker 4: Actually, most used a play for college auditions.
Speaker 5: I'm hearing that a lot.
Speaker 2: There's a beautiful monologue that is meant for an older woman that these college girls.
Speaker 5: I'm getting tagged on TikTok in sixteen.
Speaker 2: Year old Girls Challenges monologue, mondays, I want you to understand to all the little girls who are trying my monologue.
Speaker 1: That was written about to my ma, that was written about her in hospice, those were actual words she said.
Speaker 3: Would you read a little piece of it because I think the people need to understand the gravitas it takes for an older woman to say these words and the pain it causes her.
Speaker 2: Or do you want to read it or should we just play one of these monologue?
Speaker 4: I think we want to read it, and then we could play one of the clips.
Speaker 1: And then I'll send you one. It's act Tiffany boisterous. She's a fantastic actor.
Speaker 4: But read it the way you want it read on the cusp of eighty huh.
Speaker 5: All right, This is the way I imagine my Ma would say it, because this is how I'd seen her say it with her own words in the hospital.
Speaker 3: Bit.
Speaker 5: You men walk into my brain every single night, and your trapes around. You leave mud on the ground, you leave dirt and soot on my poor little memories.
Speaker 1: You act like you're nothing, and yet I look inside my head, I look inside my pantry, in the cutcase you've eaten, and the cold coffee you've left in the cups.
Speaker 5: I look around and I look at the.
Speaker 1: Stain in the sheets from the work in the mines, the coal you brought into my bed, the coal you left me with when you're gone, And I realize my life has always been reaction to the people that have walked all over it. My life has just been a mirror for people who are looking beyond me into their own brains.
Speaker 4: And now let's play the clip.
Speaker 2: You man just kind of triumph around in my head.
Speaker 5: Turn it off, turn it off, Turn it off for me, please, we.
Speaker 4: Turned it off.
Speaker 6: Pantry, dad, pantry on my mind.
Speaker 4: You're in here living as a reaction action.
Speaker 3: This man traps around my mind every night for Carnegie Mellon.
Speaker 5: TikTok. I think that's gonna help you. Sorry, sorry. I love the younger people. I love the younger people. I responding to it.
Speaker 1: It's hard to see my mother's words coming out of girls dressed in juicy cature.
Speaker 4: But I when you hear it from a different here's I do believe, just like a good songwriter, I can't do this, just like a good songwriter. Sometimes a good writing can be moved from different povs. I know that that strictly is your mom, but think about it a good song Sometimes they say doesn't matter the singer, and it's different and it's good no matter what.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Life is pain, life is death, Life is suffering, and we are out here as the lightning rods to pain and suffer so other people can feel that through our work.
Speaker 4: I think there's something powerful about a woman about to die seeing that monologue versus a woman about to start your new life in university.
Speaker 3: In a way, university is a kind of death, the death of the child.
Speaker 4: Go introduce yourself.
Speaker 2: Go, I will know me enough for you enough.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Hello.
Speaker 5: Hi ho hio to you.
Speaker 2: My name is Shannon dadra O'Shannon.
Speaker 4: Ah Shannon Shannon.
Speaker 2: I am from Dublin originally, and I am an Irish playwright turned movie writer. You might have seen me and some of my hit scripts. There are seven of us and one of us is going to die?
Speaker 5: Or What's up with that?
Speaker 2: M where I adapted Keaton Thompson's What's up with That?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 2: It's too long to explain, and I don't know if I can even talk about it.
Speaker 4: Ad no, no, no, no no no. Adaptation is the great Irish dance.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's taking an American ip and turning it, turning it Irish.
Speaker 5: I want to tell you, Shannon, I love your plays.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I love your play Eliza's Big Ocean Adventure. I love your play The Father Son and Ricky. I love this new movie you sent me a screenplay. You're adapting the Fuggy Doug Dolls.
Speaker 2: So I'm adapting the Fuggy Doug Dolls. You doing that day Mattel has got me doing this amazing piece where they give me full liberty to write an original story about the Fuggy Doug doll dolls. These are an amazing doll. One of them is going to die in the first act. I don't know which one is going to die. And then the rest are going to go to a house where the doll lived, and by living in the house, they're going to remember both the beauty and the pain.
Speaker 5: Of their dead doll. What number draft are you on? I'm on fifteen?
Speaker 4: Oh, and what's your ideal number? Draft?
Speaker 5: Fifteen?
Speaker 2: Oh so close to looking at a Yes, So for me, I write one draft one draft, Throw it away. I want to throw it in the river. I write another draft based off of the memory, the memory of what I wrote in the first draft.
Speaker 5: Throw that one away.
Speaker 4: Keep three pages, just get activated.
Speaker 6: Keep three pages?
Speaker 5: Got activated?
Speaker 4: What activated you?
Speaker 5: And it'll get ready?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay? Because I keep three pages, different random pages, and I let those dictate the act. Forget the story. Take those three pages, write a completely new draft. Those have to be the first three pages of the play. I throw that one away, forget the play, forget the play for four years away, for four years, four years. I put the play away. I put it away.
Speaker 4: Where do you put it?
Speaker 5: I put it away?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 5: Throw it away? And put it away? TikTok, TikTok. Four years go by? What happens four years ago? Oh? Remember that idea? Then I again?
Speaker 4: Do you find it?
Speaker 2: I go find it? I find it in the cattle of my mind?
Speaker 6: Do you have to set a four year reminder for when these things come?
Speaker 2: My phone is always buzzing with these suns of calendar reminders? And I remember, what in the hell I'm talking about?
Speaker 5: Four thousand a baby? What could that have been? Oh?
Speaker 3: That sounds I have to be honest, quite funny four thousand of baby the thistle.
Speaker 5: On my side. I mean, what is this?
Speaker 2: What is it? If it's lost, it's lost. It's just like a grave.
Speaker 5: It's never meant to be. If it does meant to.
Speaker 4: You, I say, that's about my children. If they're lost, they're lost.
Speaker 2: Bye, okay, okay, all right, it is time enough at last. Well, First, I see God in the flowers.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And where do you see God?
Speaker 5: Oh? I see God in the woman that I order from at Vicdonald's every morning. Her name is eliac Donald's Donald.
Speaker 1: If you go to fac Donald's, it's the Irish McDonald You say can I get a biscuit?
Speaker 5: And they say can you? And they throw coffee in your face.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeahc Donald's Donaldcdonald's.
Speaker 4: I hello, enough enough, enough enough know me. My name is Guinness Scott. I am an Irish playwright sixty eight years old, and I wrote one of my most famous plays is Abortion on the Hillside.
Speaker 2: Abortion on the Hillside, Abortion on the hillside.
Speaker 5: Sir, abortional hillside with an incredit place, Sir.
Speaker 2: It was one of the most amazing plays, Sir.
Speaker 6: We thank you for writing Abortion.
Speaker 4: On a hairside, Sir. Sir.
Speaker 6: You're welcome, sir, man dude.
Speaker 3: The way that you handled it was with such grace Abortional on the hillside and with the empathy for both sides of the isle, where there are these people who you know, there are these women who are fighting for their rights. It is has been illegal in certain times in Ireland, so they are if they are fighting for the right over their own bodies. But then you also lend sympathy to the characters who have these ideas in their head, who are have grown up with this tradition. Yes, of no, of we fight that. Yes, and you have done such a wonderful job with it, sir.
Speaker 2: Dude, as Irish playwrights were all at the end of the day studying Catholicism, and the way you study Catholicism Unprotestant distantism in your work Abortion on a Hillside, sir.
Speaker 4: It opens with a girl. It opens with a girl coming up the hill. She's in her Catholic clothes from school. Yes, because all kids are in Catholic clothes, and has her books. And that's where we hear we see church versus estate. She sits on a hillside and decides throughout the whole play should she get an abortion?
Speaker 5: She reads her book, she sits around, she rolls around in the grass. Her young lover comes to join her. She doesn't mention it.
Speaker 4: They talk about bunnies.
Speaker 5: They talk about bunnies, which was.
Speaker 2: An apt metaphor, an apt metaphor, and I love the metaphor when she says, what if bunnies could get an abortion?
Speaker 4: That had the right lips.
Speaker 3: Of silence that follows the answer to that question is so profound.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and and I put that That's what I want to talk about stage direction. I what's that in the play? Because a lot of Irish playwrights won't, a lot of Irish play rights won't put that stuff in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, what else say you? Is? I love that old your scripture about twenty three pages, and you have a lot of silence written in. You say ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Pregnant pause where life again at the beginning of a pregnant Paul.
Speaker 5: You know, by the way, would have been a much better title.
Speaker 4: Abortion on a Hillside.
Speaker 1: There's so much showing with See there's some Irish playwrights and love subtexts that love meaning understanding a little bit of an ambiguous message.
Speaker 5: You went straight with abortion on a hill.
Speaker 3: See, there's so much met so many beautiful metaphors inside the place.
Speaker 4: Yes, but girls talking about bunnies, yes.
Speaker 3: Talking about anything but the thing at hand, girls talking about abortion.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I love the moment where she turns to the big willow tree next to her. What if a tree could get no.
Speaker 1: I mean it's amazing. What what kind of feedback did it? I remember you performed that at Saint Patrick's Cathedral. There they were not happy.
Speaker 5: To do it either.
Speaker 4: They weren't. Oh god, Ireland. The government in Ireland is interesting, right because you can write something so profound, you can write something so profound yet and culture the Ireland, the people in the world. Dublin, I think it was printed one million times within its first publishment.
Speaker 2: You're one million times within his first publishment. I mean that's a record.
Speaker 6: I remember kind of numbers.
Speaker 2: When I'm saying something important.
Speaker 5: When I got to call that.
Speaker 1: Donna's Bells was printed one million times in its first publishment.
Speaker 5: For me, that was so we've.
Speaker 2: All had a play that's had one million.
Speaker 4: In the publish publishment. I mean, let's shock numbers. How much have you done in your first publishment.
Speaker 2: How much have I done? One million times?
Speaker 3: Well, I've done, I believe, twelve thousand times in my first publishment of my brother, my sister, my sister, and my brother and also my brother. And it was difficult because it didn't get that bump, and I got periodically dropped from my play.
Speaker 2: Righting it's become a classic. People were not ready for such a big family on a stage because I didn't it.
Speaker 4: Did it inspire cheaper by the dozen? A?
Speaker 5: It did?
Speaker 1: It inspired the real man from the book to start living his life like that.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It is if you to start living. I believe I'm going to have a lot of children, and I believe it would be a movie one day, But not now.
Speaker 4: Yes, never. Now, what's your thing later? What's my thing?
Speaker 6: With siblings?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: I met a man in a bar. We shared a pint.
Speaker 5: Similar story.
Speaker 1: Hold on, if we were to say that, we wouldn't ever publish a story.
Speaker 5: Story.
Speaker 6: If we stopped there, we wouldn't write.
Speaker 3: You can't let anyone own get in.
Speaker 5: A pint at a bart. I met a man at a bar is our. Once upon a time.
Speaker 4: I met a man at a bar, and I said, good trees, get an abortion anyway, can going?
Speaker 5: You met a man in a pub.
Speaker 3: I met a man at a pub, and we had so much in common. We had a nearly seventy thousand things in common. We kept saying these things and seventy seventy thousand things in common.
Speaker 5: I've had many nights wrapped on things in common.
Speaker 1: Night with a friend, barkie barkeep, get me a piece of paper, get me a pen, write down things.
Speaker 5: That's what we love to do. You do use phones. I use phone one. Larry, we have.
Speaker 4: Lary. We have about seventy thousand.
Speaker 3: And you know how I kept track because I have a leather bound journal from that very night, A leather bound journal from that very night.
Speaker 4: Say night, that's same. Not to have a leather pound journal.
Speaker 5: No, I think it's involved in the night keep going. It's not independent of the night. I think it's involved in the story of recurrent listening to keep going.
Speaker 3: No, I kept it tally of every single time I said no way, me too, no way, me too, no way, me too, no way, me too. That's how many things we had in common, seventy thousand, nearly the things we had in common.
Speaker 2: So you kept sorry, did you have a thing to both signify how many things you had in common, and also, I think, to signify how many times you said no way me too.
Speaker 1: Like horn from core, no way to. Even though this was things we have in common, we all get it.
Speaker 6: It was so night you had the same night I had night.
Speaker 5: The same story.
Speaker 3: So I counted up the many things we had in common.
Speaker 6: No aay me too, no ay me too, no way me too, and.
Speaker 3: We discover the final thing we had in common, the seventy thousand things. We were born on the same day in the same hospital. We were twins and no way me too.
Speaker 8: Finale, the ultimate no way we too, no way me womb We shared it, We shared it together, and that together the same womb well the shame birthday in the same hospital.
Speaker 4: We thought, let's not go any further than this. Twins must be we can go further. After twins.
Speaker 6: We can't go further.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 6: The twins is the precipice at the very end.
Speaker 3: So to answer your question, that's why I am so wrapped up in the in the relationship between brother and sister and sister and brother, because you never know when a sister or a brother.
Speaker 5: Is coming twins are God's trick?
Speaker 6: Have we covered the twins are God's trick?
Speaker 5: Well, here's what's scary for me.
Speaker 4: Yes, siblings, is your iron back? What's yours?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a question entirely different than what I was about to say. Well, twins brought up twice means that there's a twin of a story in the existent thread that we are currently living. Twins have emerged. What does that mean for us? Identicals looking in the mirror, seeing exactly like me? But you have secrets. I can't see. Why are we obsessed with twins? Why are we obsessed with twins? Thing that I think about all the time is the pain of existence. What I'm always writing about. What I always find myself coming back to is the dark thoughts that I have right before I decide to end it all. I look at the disk. There's always sorry.
Speaker 4: I don't swing that.
Speaker 5: I'm not gay.
Speaker 4: I'm not gay.
Speaker 5: I'm not gay.
Speaker 2: I'm not gay.
Speaker 3: We are eciting an old play fas I'm not gay.
Speaker 2: We all know that one about the Catholic Church and two boys.
Speaker 4: I'm not gay.
Speaker 5: It gay. I'm not gay. So at my desk, next to my pen and my paper, there's a news. Oh God, I choose to write or I choose to die, and every day I pick up the pin instead of the news.
Speaker 2: Can I be honest, It really feels like the news is just there for drum effect. It's like you're never going to choose the noose.
Speaker 1: If I'm being honest with you, the noose is very very thin.
Speaker 5: It's a shoelace.
Speaker 4: Why that's not a noose.
Speaker 6: It's a noose for a baby.
Speaker 5: Noose has nothing to do with the fabric.
Speaker 1: The noose has to do with the type of nott and it absolutely is a noose.
Speaker 5: Could it hold me neck?
Speaker 4: No is a noose or not? A noose is not?
Speaker 5: A noose is not.
Speaker 3: If the follow through of the noose is not there, does that not a noose?
Speaker 4: Make? If the fall through of a noose is not death, then does that a noose make?
Speaker 1: Put a shoelace noose around your neck and don't think that the angel of death is whispering in your ear.
Speaker 5: It does not matter what a noose is made of the fact that her noose is on your neck. Make sure realize a noose could kill you.
Speaker 4: It's not the knot, it's not the idea. It's the threat.
Speaker 2: Two nooses tight, one noose loose. One man has been saved this night.
Speaker 4: Knock on the door by the cows are out today.
Speaker 6: Hey, your noose is untied.
Speaker 4: That's fun.
Speaker 5: I wonder what that was.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa there partner, whoa. I know you're enjoying the episode, but there's something else you might enjoy. You see these hats that make us look like we work on set somewhere.
Speaker 6: You might like these hats. If you're a fan of the pod.
Speaker 3: And if you're a fan of the pod, you can wear the pod with merch.
Speaker 1: Yes, but cool merch merch. That doesn't tell anyone that you like the pod except for someone else who likes the pod. We have shirt and we have hats that have all different things on them like TV.
Speaker 6: Shows, Internet videos, movies.
Speaker 5: This one's bagged so I could send it right to you if you buy it. You can buy that one.
Speaker 4: I'll give you this hat, no bag.
Speaker 3: You can order it an artist on artists on artists on artists dot com.
Speaker 6: And while you're on our website side or us book.
Speaker 1: Come on and play some games. I think we got a watermelon drop on there. Come on, come on, enjoy the rest of the episode and give your friends and kids.
Speaker 5: I love getting around with Irish paid rights.
Speaker 1: I do believe there's a deep dark on contrary car and we tap into the spirit. The ancestors they called to us. They drag us to the nether space. We live ourselves in some sort of a living and we come back.
Speaker 5: We went there together just now.
Speaker 3: We went to the other side to retrieve an idea for a play, and we came back to our own selves. But what you bring up in terms of your writing routine makes me curious. Do you all have a writing ritual that you must go through. I know you wait four years, or is there anything that gets you into the moment when you are currently writing.
Speaker 2: Well, for me, if I'm really stuck and I need to get some pages down, I'll take a nice walk and I find a walk really clears your head. My walk is very, very fun. I walk malls in Ireland, malls, malls.
Speaker 3: You want.
Speaker 4: Stars.
Speaker 5: I know st I know stars.
Speaker 4: There's a building of stars.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: You are.
Speaker 4: You are the.
Speaker 5: Apple star, the Apple star.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So I'll walk around and look for a little bit of what I call the star dust. Stardust, Star Stars, R E.
Speaker 5: D U S. T Store.
Speaker 4: Maybe an old bookstore, Oh, an old bookstore with ideas Star.
Speaker 5: I'll walk into a buck Star and I look at.
Speaker 3: Box store, that storebox Star Star, a Starbucks afresh box.
Speaker 5: I'll look it to a box Star.
Speaker 2: I'll pick the dustiest buck I can find. I a juice box.
Speaker 5: I'll read a passage from it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it'll speak to me, and sometimes it'll yell at me, and sometimes it'll cry at me, and sometimes it'll laugh at me, and sometimes it'll kiss me.
Speaker 4: It actually fat right in the middle, right, depends on whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I'm inspired and understand that up there the powers are sending me a message. That is the emotion I must carry into my work.
Speaker 5: I've got to get out of here now.
Speaker 6: What was the most recent juice box that spoke to you?
Speaker 2: The most recent juice box was a Snapper? I opened and I said, I guess we're having fun?
Speaker 5: Hi? What happened to Hold on a minute? Hold on a minute? Snappers making juice boxes? Are they just boxes?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Isn't this is strange now, isn't it? Because Snapple existed in one farm jar glass glass jar? Yet is it transition to the juice box. Does it make a fraternal twin of itself?
Speaker 5: No, they don't look the same.
Speaker 6: Okay, fraternal? Then I guess we're okay.
Speaker 4: Snap.
Speaker 2: Why can a farm not be changed into another farm without us questioning its farm present?
Speaker 5: Can I ask you? Does a drink of a sibling or is it just itself in another glass?
Speaker 4: I think drink of itself?
Speaker 5: Are we?
Speaker 2: Are we just eating limbs of a drink?
Speaker 5: Is a river the sister of a lake? Or is it all the same water?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: The sister of a lake is an ocean, and the sister of an ocean is a puzzle?
Speaker 1: I would like I do think, And I could say this with definitiveness.
Speaker 5: Salt water and fresh water are cousins? Oh?
Speaker 4: Why nay?
Speaker 3: But nay, but nay, Because if the salt water and the fresh water are nary cousins, what happens when the freshwater has an angry day is.
Speaker 6: Swept up by the sea?
Speaker 3: Oh, is taken from one place via a hurricane via tornado?
Speaker 6: If the salt water is swept up with a fresh water.
Speaker 3: And mixed up into the sky and rained down, does it all not become the same water?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: Hold on a minute.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that you're not related to the people you love just because you've had an angry day.
Speaker 6: I'm saying that I believe we're all the same.
Speaker 3: Iy.
Speaker 4: What if this wind is a distant cousin of dust?
Speaker 2: Okay, so the family tree goes all the same, I would say, one, mother, I want you to come in and join.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to process the family lineage at this point.
Speaker 6: Yes, so over shamily, ocean, ocean, cousin, cousin, Dust is dust and wind.
Speaker 2: We brought up a good point. If water has a fresh water has an angry day, it's.
Speaker 4: A good point. If its water is angry and it has a bad.
Speaker 5: Day, does it become more of a sibling? What is our relationships to dust?
Speaker 1: Are we the parents of dust because we ourselves become dust?
Speaker 6: Or are we the makers of dust?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, oh, yes, yes, I guess the question that we still yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, oh yes, we are the makers of dust? And are we dust at the womb?
Speaker 2: Are we dust in the womb?
Speaker 4: Or are we born?
Speaker 6: Does age and time make us dust?
Speaker 5: You would know abortion on the hillside. Are we dust in the womb.
Speaker 4: When does dust begin? Dust begins on a hillside with a girl doing her homework.
Speaker 5: How was your writing process for that? What do you know? How do you know if it's good work or bad work?
Speaker 4: With abortion a hillside, I start, I write it to bar okay, a bar or a pub barr pub depends on where I am. Some pubs I go to sometimes I'm writing in I'm dating a girl in America, so sometimes I.
Speaker 5: Go to bars. And how old is she? And how old is she? I wonder you question it?
Speaker 4: A question is not questioned unless an answer is so.
Speaker 5: Let's stop speaking. I know all of you, writes in Raddel's I write in prose.
Speaker 3: Fine, yes, I know, mister Fugley Doll, mister billion dollar script.
Speaker 2: We know I.
Speaker 5: Wrote one coherent piece of.
Speaker 4: Knock knock at the door. Who is it I sell out?
Speaker 5: Sell out?
Speaker 6: Source is untied? Or is it a noose made of cash?
Speaker 5: Yes, a noose cash? No sense? If my noose is untied or is it a noose of cash?
Speaker 1: Listen to me, you boy, if your work has understood, your work was not written for yourself. Oh, for you to understand yourself is to say you're the master of the unknown, like you understand what's happening in your brain. You you wrote something coherent. Your wrote shite, your ot nasty shite.
Speaker 2: If you don't write coherently, you're missing the soul of the world.
Speaker 1: Coherence is the death of the unknown.
Speaker 4: Coherence is the cousin of confusion.
Speaker 2: Incoherence is where we find the truth of confusion. You see a plant grow, you say, the flower blooms, and it implies.
Speaker 5: So much more. How about this feat?
Speaker 2: Yes, you say, oh, the blooming flower is a four or five?
Speaker 5: What does that mean? That's That's what I'm saying. I'm saying.
Speaker 1: A woman is sitting alone, someone says nice weather today. A big ghost comes in, kisses her on the lips. She says, I think I'll have a sandwich for breakfast. That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Oh, what are you saying?
Speaker 6: What am I saying?
Speaker 4: Are you saying?
Speaker 3: Though the spirit conkills me, the spirit compels me.
Speaker 5: To write a story? Okay? The spirit? Yes?
Speaker 4: And I feel like I asked you I shouldn't last.
Speaker 5: I am I am remembering at all? Are you? Okay?
Speaker 6: I was paying attention and I'm trying to remember where I stand.
Speaker 4: I think I heargree with you.
Speaker 2: If you at home zoned out with Samuel below.
Speaker 3: Put yourself in the comments below, because.
Speaker 6: Was I zoning out?
Speaker 4: Or was I zoning in.
Speaker 6: To the collective unconscious? Was I zoning into a message from God?
Speaker 3: Because I believe that when we stop listening obsessively listening to the worlds around us, we can listen to the vice that really matters, the vice that not only created the world, but is the world. And I believe in the last thirty seconds I spoke to Good directly and he said, you have to write a play about a sweater. And I believe this message is for all of you.
Speaker 6: It's a warning.
Speaker 3: I did not sense. I did not sense joy in this task. I sensed ominous, ominous pain. And it feels a dire warning. And should you not heed this warning, I feel I fear we will burn.
Speaker 6: We will all burn, burn alive in hell.
Speaker 5: Later.
Speaker 4: Should we write the play about the sweater?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Should we write the play about the sweater?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: I believe, I believe.
Speaker 2: Sent by the gods, I believe I will do well. Let's take it line by line, Maybe popcorn it a little.
Speaker 6: Maybe we popcorn, We popcorn a play about the sweater.
Speaker 5: All right, if he likes to continue writing the tale, scream popcorn and continue the tale. Okay, so it's different for regular popcorn. You scream, this is the type of popcorn.
Speaker 4: It is the Irish popcorn.
Speaker 5: Popcorn and point, get somebody to scream popcorn.
Speaker 4: But you want to get.
Speaker 3: In, Okay, scream popcorn to take it over.
Speaker 4: A kitchen, missy one single light on.
Speaker 5: Popcorn. A man walks into the kitchen. What's all this mess?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: Aye ye ye? What time did I go to sleep? Aye yea ye aye pop corn.
Speaker 3: A mother tired washes the dishes in the sink. She scrubs and scrubs and scrubs.
Speaker 4: She looks at him.
Speaker 6: She says, oh you're tired.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been slaving away all day.
Speaker 5: Popcorn.
Speaker 2: The man looks at her and says, woman, you don't know a thing about slaving away. I'm up in a coal mine, mining away until I disappear. So God forbid, I have a pint at the end of night.
Speaker 4: Popcorn. A man from the window wearing a green sweater walks up to the front door.
Speaker 1: Hi Delivery, popcorn, Delivery, delivery, he said.
Speaker 5: The woman looks a bit shy. Does she recognize the man? She runs to the door. She opens it. She quietly says, Phineus, Phoeus, you shouldn't be here right now, Phineus, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Pop Corn? I want you to be here.
Speaker 5: I got your litters, Popcorn, Higus, you can't you can't come here right now. He's awake, he woke from one of his benders.
Speaker 4: Popcorn.
Speaker 3: Phineas says, I can't stay away from you, thinking of you in the cold, hard winter here.
Speaker 6: I need you to have a sweater.
Speaker 5: Popcorn.
Speaker 2: The man from the kitchen. Now that's all they say. Who's at the door. Who's up the door?
Speaker 5: Popcorn?
Speaker 1: No one, honey, no one, baby, go back to bed, honey, it's just snather solicitor.
Speaker 5: I know you don't like solicitors out here with it myself. Corn.
Speaker 6: The man goes, oh, I don't trust you. Then you're lying. Rout a cow, you lion, round a cow.
Speaker 4: I am going higher. I'm going out, okay, Popcorn.
Speaker 5: Yes, he leaves.
Speaker 2: We see Phoegs and the woman unnamed sit. Would you like a spot of tea before we get started?
Speaker 5: Popcorn spotlight. A young boy comes out, looks forward popcorn. He sings angelic, ooh, popcorn.
Speaker 4: A different woman walks in through the aisle. That was the day I met the love of my life. The wind, the dust, the ocean, the puddles. This is an aside.
Speaker 5: Popcorn.
Speaker 3: The woman stares at the scene, unfolding the angelic boy singing Phineas and the unnamed woman. And she's older, but at the same time they look the same. The younger woman speaks to the audience and this was the day I made my greatest love and my greatest mistake.
Speaker 5: Popcorn.
Speaker 4: Back to the woman, so phileas you're going to take your rick out of what.
Speaker 5: Curtain? Sorry?
Speaker 4: That was a warning, a warning, warning, It is a warning.
Speaker 5: I think the muse wanted us to tell that story today.
Speaker 4: I believe people will be doing those plays that play the sweater. People will do it in schools, do it in pubs, and do it in their hearts.
Speaker 5: I took no pleasure in writing that with any of you.
Speaker 6: I wish I didn't have to.
Speaker 5: It needed to be done.
Speaker 4: It had a cold rushing through my body.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, we didn't have time to talk about anything really substance. It about playwriting, we missed kind of what it feels like to put an actor in a position.
Speaker 4: Maybe go around and say one tip you have for young player, and then we'll.
Speaker 2: Call it outlines.
Speaker 5: Outline really help you know.
Speaker 1: They're going to tell you, don't write a play in script format on final draft, use the play format. But the truth is screenplay format is so much easier to just use screenplay format.
Speaker 5: If the play is good enough, they'll read it.
Speaker 1: If if they're arguing about semantics, they didn't want to read it in the first place.
Speaker 3: Here's something I wish I wish I was told earlier on. When you're requesting comps, you got to do it way in advance, way in advance. You've got to email the theater or else day of a couple of hours before they get They get pissed off.
Speaker 5: No one's expecting the playright to have comps.
Speaker 9: You have to know they think you're alone.
Speaker 5: It's your opening night of your play and they think you're alone.
Speaker 4: They think get fourteen comp comps. Really, get your cumps in early.
Speaker 2: Get your cumps in early, and put up a fight if they're not giving you anything.
Speaker 9: I park, make sure to park. Oh yeah, to park your car. You don't tell you that all the time. Make sure the car's in park before you leave it in the park.
Speaker 4: And they think play rights are just gonna leave their car moving.
Speaker 5: Here's a fun thing.
Speaker 2: If you're stuck on a character's voice, just true as somebody you love, and then somebody as the character.
Speaker 4: And here's another thing. You can always rewrite your dad, Yes you can.
Speaker 1: If you can't figure out the name, just pick on chery. Not at the moment. That might be why I have a mister green beans. And almost every single thing.
Speaker 6: I write, Oh that's so funny, I've got cheese.
Speaker 5: It's as well.
Speaker 10: If you're ever stuck, have their character pick up a dish, and don't let's not get lost in these acts lines, you know, make them short, make them eat punchy, really.
Speaker 3: Make them short, because the director is going to pick up from where you left off.
Speaker 6: And if you're stuck right in a.
Speaker 4: Ghost, if you're stuck writing a ghost, or write in a dream, and just if.
Speaker 2: You're stuck on metaphor, just think of what the metaphor the adjective or the verb that you're trying to think growing, Oh tree, just throw a tree.
Speaker 4: And if they want you to stop using the word abortion, start using bunny.
Speaker 1: If things are too serious for a little bit and you're not very funny, a writer, just add a pause and then add somebody starts laughing in the silence, and it kind of feels.
Speaker 5: Like a joke. Anything.
Speaker 3: Here's a good writing exercise. Prompt follow finish the sentence. Death is Now you got yourself a monologue.
Speaker 4: Now you got yourself a mo I have that one for last night. I dreamt blank, Yeah, you got yourself a monologue.
Speaker 5: That's so interesting. I always have it with you.
Speaker 4: Know, I've always wanted to say this.
Speaker 5: To you, but I haven't.
Speaker 4: That gets me, or you know what Mama always said, Yes, the sea is so.
Speaker 5: I also, i've never liked blank. Oh, I've never liked Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, now you got yourself a monlogue.
Speaker 3: And if you want to make something funny, talk about a food. Yes, food is funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know. I don't know why people eat steak. That's funny.
Speaker 4: There's something funny about that. Now you got yourself a small monologue.
Speaker 5: Well, we must be off into the.
Speaker 4: Darkness, very off to it. I'm going to get your bye.
Speaker 5: I'm going back to my wife tonight. She read a new version of my script. And I know if it's a good one, because she either looks at me and says all right, then it gives it back to me. She throws it away. Bartholome, you fell down? Now what could have been?
Speaker 2: Oh I'm just my phone is blowing up with these old ideas ideas that I've wrote four years ago. Bartholomew fell down. Some notes, some ideas, Yes, I've got some. Well, this is all half of it is ideas of things I want to write and things I did write and forgot about.
Speaker 4: Oh, my phone's going off. It's my twenty four year old girlfriend.
Speaker 5: That was her as.
Speaker 2: My phone's going off.
Speaker 4: Phone, Oh you got a real phone.
Speaker 3: I got a date with a man in a bar. We're gonna we're gonna have a lot in common.
Speaker 4: This is a brother thing.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm a little gay.
Speaker 5: Great. I don't have a phone, but if I did, it'd be going off from God saying I'll see you soon, and I'll tell him, no, you won't.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you're gay.
Speaker 5: Artists answered the question. Now, that's what they call it show business. Good night, good night, the Beautiful Dynasty.
Speaker 4: Typewriter, Join our Patreon. It's in the Lincoln Blow Bye Bye.
Speaker 1: Artists on Artists On Artists on Artists is an improvised Hollywood roundtable podcast created, performed, and produced by Kylie Braakman, Jeremy Colhayanne, Angela Giaratana, and Patrick McDonald. Music is by Gabrielle Ponton. The opinions expressed on this podcast do not reflect the opinions of anyone who works on it, not even the performers, because this is an improvised podcast and we're stupid. All video versions of ao ao ao A are available on YouTube, so please like and subscribe and leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Good Night, Hollywood, U,