Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: All about that high school drama, Girl drama girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl shared for the right drama Queens off girl fashion, but your tough girl, you.
Speaker 1: Could sit with us.
Speaker 3: Girl Drama Queens Drama, Quise Drama, Queens Drama, John the Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 4: Let's start the episode with this. Sophia just told me, Hi, you have Robin, Sophia, And as we typically do, we're going to talk about food for a moment. Sophia, Yeah, you just said you have a klondike bar off camera. My question is are you not worried about it melting?
Speaker 1: I mean, I am. I'm really watching it to full transparency, have eaten half of it already. But a klondike bar is a large better than an ice cream sandwich? Ice cream sandwich esque?
Speaker 4: Can you show me? I know the audience can see this one.
Speaker 1: So see, I cut it like a sandwich and four so I make four smaller squares. Of course you do, so that when I'm holding it in my hand it doesn't turn into an even messier version of this. I see, so I can eat the first two when it's still very solid, but then the other two haven't been affected by my body heat.
Speaker 4: Can I say, I feel like cut this? This littleo, this little moment in time is a very good picture of you to me. You because you brought a tasty treat to work, but you also took the time to quarter it very precisely so as to minimize mess.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a lot of you. It captured in a very small circumstance.
Speaker 1: It is. And you know what's really funny about this. Two nights ago, I well, who knows when it was when this will air, but two nights ago, in real time, I went to see the American Ballet Theater in New York and it was so beautiful and it was like a black tie fundraiser and I gotten the car with all of our friends and they were like, you do not have a pizza wrapped in paper towels, And I was like, of course I do. I had made a pizza because the schedule of the day was weird and I was hungry, but it was one of those like long flatbreads, and I had done a version of this where I'd cut it into really thin strips, so that I could eat them in the car without screwing up my lipstick. And I was like, that is a set tric to not screw up your makeup while eating any messy food. We learn that in our business, and I didn't realize how weird it was to everyone else, but I was like, Yeah, anytime we had to shoot a prom or a wedding or anything, we were snacking the whole time. So you get good at this.
Speaker 4: This is why you are a professionals professional.
Speaker 1: You know. It's not the dialogue all no mine and yours. It's really it's the clean snacking.
Speaker 4: Yep. You you don't know as the viewer that she was just eating a mouthful of almonds right before they yelled action, which, by the way, I recently realized, because you know, almonds are always one they are one of the worst things.
Speaker 1: Terrible idea, totally going to get stuck in your teeth, yes, always, And because they're little, their little skin dark brown. Yeah, it just looks like you have a dirty mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you just took a handful of dirt between takes and we're like, eh, give us a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right.
Speaker 4: Well, well now that we've done that, we've you know, I hope that someone is listening and has a stopwatch and it's just maybe keeping track of like the content that is food and isn't food, so we can get a breakdown of how much we make it about food.
Speaker 1: I really would love to know there's probably some AI program that can analyze that for us. But also it would, you know, probably use the water of three Olympic swimming pools. So I don't know that that's the best use of such a technology. It's like, let it screen for cancer. But I would love if somebody would just tell us, especially when it's me and you, how much are we talking about food. I also do have to offer you an apology. I'm realizing in real time that if I'd been really on top of it this morning, I would have sent you klondike bars on Instacart. And it's like, in my bones, it's so painful that I didn't think of it until this moment.
Speaker 4: It's okay, Honestly, it's probably for the best, because then it might have just derailed the whole operation. I mean, I don't even have one here, and I've already made the first five minutes of this all about the pondike bar. That's okay. Well listen, this is the perfect segue. Thank you bfy D for teeing us off. The question is, oh my god, you're at Karen's cafe? What's your go to order? I do have a question for you, So if saying as how my character never went to Karen's, and also me in real life, I've never watched any episodes that of Karen's. Yeah, what's the vibe? What kind of food are we talking?
Speaker 1: It's a great question because the food was really like window dressing in that set when it was a cafe before and Haley worked there. I remember the pastry boxes, you know, those sort of like loose sight boxes with croissants and cookies and things on the counter, because that was always where people would pay for their coffee. It was rare that anyone ever ordered a pastry. And then when Hailey was waiting tables and she would like drop off food, I don't know, it always looked like a sandwich and chips or maybe a breakfast of sorts. I feel like I can't believe. I don't remember. When it circles back around in season nine, I have no idea since we haven't watched it yet. What if any menu we ever see, but I'm like to be safe, I probably would order a classic turkey sandwich with mayo light onions and see if they could toast it for me, because usually a cafe has a griddle in the back, and I want my bread just a little crispy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want the roof of your mouth, yes, injured, but not out of commission exactly.
Speaker 1: I want it. I want it to hurt just enough to know I had a great sandwich, but not be burnt by, say, a too hot piece of pizza.
Speaker 4: Yep, it's a fine line. It is a fine line.
Speaker 1: What do you think is yours? Just a let's call it a very traditional every town yfe.
Speaker 4: My immediate thought was, give me a club sandwich with some fries. Can't go wrong, especially if you get a little ranch on the side to you know, let those fries take a swim.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, especially when you get a club like. It's not the kind of sandwich you could ever have delivered, right, because it would get soggy when you get a club at a great restaurant, and you know they had it in the toaster until it was perfectly brown, and they did not smush it together. On those toothpicks until right before they delivered it to your table.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 1: What are you a fan of on a club Because you can go chicken or you can go turkey, what would your preference be?
Speaker 4: It's going to be turkey because of the nature of turkey, because it's flat. It's just an easier to eat meat, you know what I mean. Like typically, if I have my choice between chicken and turkey, it's going to be chicken. But on that sandwich where I'm trying to not have it turned into a bowl, yep, I'm going to go turkey, you know, giving a shape you I respect that.
Speaker 1: There's one restaurant that I love that does a pounded chicken chicken club. So the chicken's been flattened, and that is my dream. I mean, we're you know, we're is hypothetical here. So I'm like talking about my dream sandwich. My dream club sandwich is with a pounded chicken breast. But I agree, if that is not an option, I want the turkey. So the consistency stays the same.
Speaker 4: Are you putting that light onion on your club as well? Or does that stick to just the turkey sandwich?
Speaker 1: No, that feels like a turkey sandwich thing to me. I mean, I'll take a club as they make it. I've been to some places where they'll do the pounded chicken and then they also do a little arugola, and I do like that as a surprising addition in a club sandwich, as long as it's not too heavy, because if it's too heavy, then you get a lot of pepper. What about I think about this a lot. Oh again, avocado in the turkey sandwich, but I would prefer to not have it in a club. My addition in a club is usually like if they do the fancy version with egg in it, then I like that. Also, what do you think do you go avocado in your club?
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like the club sandwich, it's like that perfect party or they invited just the right amount of people and just the perfect blend of personalities, and that if you brought in just one other person, even if they're cool, but like it's my friend from work, he's the best, it kind of goofs up the vibe. I just I stick with it, just kind of classical, like I love avocado, but nah, no, take a break, take a lap this one? You know?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 4: I like it also let the record show where eleven minutes Deep haven't deviated from food yet.
Speaker 1: No, I'm proud of us, Rob.
Speaker 4: And guess what the next question is just about to say we're.
Speaker 1: Really It's like the new Today was just us and I feel honored. Z Lusty asks what is your favorite place to door dash food and what's your order? Ah?
Speaker 4: Off the top of my head. Here in Portland, it's there's a place called Blue Star Donuts and they make a mean old fashioned donut, but then they do different ones like a chocolate, like a Devil's Food cake glazed, old fashioned, and I will just like, if I really want to, I will just door dash and I'll order one of like five or six different kinds of donuts and have a little party. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Oh I like that for you. When you say classic donut, do you mean like just the classic cake, like the carameli colored dough glazed.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, I'm saying they're old fashioned. So it's you know, they have that that's old fashioned shape. They all will have a glaze on them. It's just the inside of like the chocolate one is the Devil's Food cake dough.
Speaker 1: They are my god, that sounds so good.
Speaker 4: Like, listen, you're not walking away from that party without a stomach ache, maybe even a headache. But the ride is worth it, friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like it's worth it. It's the roller coaster aspect. I am a big kind of depends so in La. My favorite thing to get there is in a strip mall in Hollywood, this unbelievab Vietnamese FA restaurant and for anyone in Los Angeles, you won't forget it because it's just called It's Fa Nice. And I found it one day. There's like a CBS a block away from it, and I was going to pick up an Inhaler, you know, Asthmatic for life over here, and I was like, I'd love some FA. And I'm in this sort of weird time zone where like I'm in the neighborhood early and my next meeting doesn't start for half an hour. So I just went in there sight unseen and had the best soup. And now when I'm home in La, I probably order from that place like minimum twice a week. And then on the East Coast, I don't know, it's hard. It sort of depends on where we are. There's a really good dumpling spot not too far from our place here that I like a lot, although I'm getting really into making soup dumplings at home, not too Oh my god, that sounded so much cooler than I am. I don't mean by like from scratch. I do watch those videos, okay, but there's a there's a really good company. I think it's called Mela m I La, and you you literally get these like gorgeous frozen bags of dumplings, soup dumplings, like whatever you're into. And in the soup dumpling bags they have that little no stick bottom thing for the steamer so you can make fresh soup dumplings at home and like that. I mean it just oh They're unbelievable. But yeah, I feel like it's a dumpling spot where it's a really good deli like I grew up going to a lot of delis in New Jersey and New York with my grandfather and that kind of classic oh my god, like a like a classic capraise sandwich with pastrami on it. Who love.
Speaker 4: The first meal you and I ever shared was where where kats is Deli?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, of course, Oh my god. In my brain, I was like when you got to Wilmington. Where did I take you but our first meal ever? Yes, Oh my god, I took you for a hot.
Speaker 4: PASTROMI that's all right.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so good. I could not believe that you had been living and working in New York and had never been there. It was like, oh my god, it's such a point of pride when I can take somebody to have something so delicious.
Speaker 4: Yep, the best.
Speaker 1: We got to go back. I know you're very much West Coast these days, and you know about to go to Vancouver for a whole movie. But I need to get you back to New York so we can go and just like Nash at the deli, let's.
Speaker 4: Work on that. Let's find let's find a way to make that happen.
Speaker 1: It feels correct. It Also, I have a breakfast place I need to take you to in the city called Have you ever been to Rust and Daughter?
Speaker 4: No? No, I know of it, but I've never been.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's like some of the best lut because I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 4: Past it a million times.
Speaker 1: I don't know what their sour cream is, but we gotta go. Okay, sunnyside up egg, Oh, yeah, all right, okay, okay, we've lost We've lost the door dash plot, but we're back.
Speaker 4: Julia aka Goldilocks asks if you had to act in one genre and one genre only for the rest of your career, which would you choose. Mine's a no brainer. It's comedy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I literally just said rom comums. I'm like, yeah, I want to go to work and have a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Could you imagine if I was like period dramas ew I would cackle.
Speaker 1: You're like, I would like to wear a cumberbund.
Speaker 4: Every day because I want to learn an accent. I suck at wear clothes that aren't comfortable and never laugh.
Speaker 1: That's my name. I'm set. I think comedy would be super nice. Yeah, oh this is so cutie. This is for me. Camp kid. What a nickname, Sophia. You talk all the time about being a summer camp kid. I too, am a camp kid and also a camp counselor. I was wondering what your favorite camp memory is and did you enjoy counseling or camping more? Oh, this makes me feel so nostalgic. I wouldn't say one more than the other. I think for me, camp was so formative to my life as a young person and learning independence and learning to trust myself and learning the skills that you get there. And then getting to be a camp counselor was cool because you know, you get into being a teenager, you're a counselor in training and you're like, yeah, I'm one of the CITs, and you feel so cool because you're like, I'm growing up and I have more responsibility and like I'm a trustworthy kid. And then you know, you kind of go through these stages of your adolescent development in a space that fosters your independence but is also so safe, and like when I think about camp, it's like it's it's so pure, and I don't know, I feel nostalgic really for all of it. And I think it's such a cool thing that we're all at these stages in our lives now where we all have kids in our lives right because like, oh my god, what about when they get big enough to go to camp for the first time? And it makes me want to sob It'll be so fun, Like are you prepared to see your little boy like get on the bus to head to camp and it literally I have tears in my eyes.
Speaker 4: I don't know. We're just now like touring schools, and I saw him like run off and playing on the playground by himself or like not next to us, and it just put in perspective how little he still is, and he was totally fine without us. Now, I was having on of those moments of like, I'm proud, but I don't know if I'm okay with this. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of my friends was just talking about that, like the shift from when she would take her daughter to school and she'd sob like up against the glass, like mom, don't leave me here, you know, and like one day it turned and she was like bye, mom, and now she just runs into class and doesn't even say goodbye. And she's like, I'm so proud of her as her mother, but as also as her mother, I'm so wounded.
Speaker 4: And we were just.
Speaker 1: Like nobody talks about the or maybe they do, but I guess maybe we're all just at the stage because they're little, but like people don't really talk about that stuff. And then you start to realize everybody's feeling it and it's so precious.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We Our version of that is that our son calls us mama and dad. And then occasionally though, he'll be like, can you help me with this? Dad, I'm like, you forgot aboul, you know, Or he'll do it to Jenny and we'll just like look at each other across the room like is it gonna stick? And it has it yet, thankfully, because you realize you're like, oh, the days are numbered of this. You know I'm gonna be dad real soon forever.
Speaker 1: I remember getting a ping of that actually when we were all shooting together, when Brendan Kersh, who for our friends at home, was our basketball coordinator. He's so wonderful. He wound up marrying Lisa Goldstein, and before they got married and started their family, he had had a kid in a previous relationship. He had the cutest little girl like ever. And his little girl, Gracie, couldn't say my name. She couldn't say soph and so when she was a little kid, she called me Soap. She would try to say sof and she'd be like, hey, Soap, want to play And all of us were just like, she is, so she's so precious, what are we going to do? And one day Brendan brought her to work and she goes, hey, Soph, do you want to go to craft service with me? And I was like, I mean, I think she said crafty because she was a baby, But the day she said it, I was like, Oh my god, this precious little speech impediment nicknamed I got by accident from the cutest kid I know is now It's like gone forever. It's so crazy the way that you realize, you know, time passes by what they can and can't say, or what they can and can't do independently. Oh, just like tugs on your heart strings.
Speaker 4: Carright, let's do a few rapid fires.
Speaker 1: Okay, rapid fires. I love it.
Speaker 4: Macfadge asks if you could cast any actor to play your sibling in One Tree Hill, who would you want to cast.
Speaker 1: I know the answer to this, Lake bell Ooh okay, I just love everything. She's so fricking talented and I would have a ball with her.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to say Martin Short two reasons. One he's a genius that I just want to meet and hang out with, and two because I would love the idea of him being just showing up as Clay's brother. But we never reference the fact that they're like thirty years apart from each other.
Speaker 1: I literally never been considered something like that. That is such a pro comedic move and also how blessed would we be to get to hang out with Martin Schuld.
Speaker 4: Dude, he's a legend.
Speaker 1: Yes, ooh, Aaron favorite. Oh this is sweet, favorite gift you've ever given.
Speaker 4: Off the top of my head, I surprised Jenny for her for I'm not like a concert guy at all, because I don't like big crowds, trapped, it's just a lot, and she's a very big music concert person. On her fortieth I surprised her with great tickets to the Beyonce jay Z Tour.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a good gift. Yeah. I think it probably would have been for Ash's birthday last year. So she grew up on Kennedy Space Center and is as obsessed with space as I am. And I don't really know anyone who's as obsessed with space as I am. So that was a pretty cool thing for us to learn about each other. Her birthday happened to coincide with this crazy meteor shower, and so I planned a little getaway. I took her to this like amazing camping spot out in Moab to like a dark sky place, and to be clear, I didn't like throw her in the dirt. It's like a glamping tent situation. It was so beautiful. And what I didn't realize because I thought it was out of the sky already, is that when we got there, that comment that only comes around once every eighty thousand years, you could still see because we were in a dark sky zone. So for four days we stared at that comment and I was like to be alive in this moment. Like so it was a gift for her, but it also wound up being a gift for me. Sure, it was so cool.
Speaker 4: This is a tricky one to answer, like short, but let's be as brief as possible.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm sorry, we're both so long winded.
Speaker 4: Actually selfish, that is. I want to know your story. Cam. Have you ever completely bombed an audition? What happened?
Speaker 3: In?
Speaker 4: What movie or show was it for?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: I mean yes, but yeah, so all this if you want to think for a second, I'll just save mine quickly because I've can told on this podcast before it was for thor uh. They were dummy sides that were like ridiculous, and I made the mistake of not committing one hundred percent, and I just like I was supposed to be sword fighting, and I remember telling the casting director like, I'm not going to be sword fighting the air. I'm just going to do the lines. And I could tell she was, oh, okay, I didn't so never mind. I guess I only told that are in ainear Easton. Yeah, I the sides were like supposed to be like sort like with this sword, I vanquished thee and all of this stuff. And I walked into the office already feeling like I'm not this guy. This isn't good. The two casting assistants were like like young ladies my age who were attractive, so of course, and I'm like even more insecure and self conscious and yeah, I got too cool for school. And I was like, I'm not going to sword fight the air. I'm just going to say the lines. And I could tell in that moment by every one's face is that they probably didn't even turn the camera on. They're like, great, thank you. And I was never invited back to that casting office since.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I realized that this was a sad one to lose. I auditioned for the Amy Adams role and catch me if you can and yeah, and I I don't remember if it was a similar situation where they weren't quite telling people. I don't think they released the script, so I think it might have been a dummy sides thing as well. And I remember being really flustered because it was also pilot season, and you know, back then, like as a college kid, I was going to like three or four auditions a day, and I knew I really wanted to book a pilot, like you know, you think about a show. So the thing I had sort of thrown away because it was one short scene was this. And I remember in the room realizing, like, wait, what what is this appointment? Wait? I didn't read this clearly enough because I was so focused on this pilot that I wanted that i'd like memorized and worked with a friend and all the things. And in my head, I was like, I don't know the lines. I I don't even know, Like I just blinked. I was like, who's this woman supposed to be? Is she charming? Is she a seductress? Is she a student? Is she sweet? Is she mean? Oh god, oh god, Leonardo DiCaprio's in this movie. Like I just panicked, and it was like, in my memory it was the most like robotic and sweaty audition I've ever done. But Amy Adams is a national treasure, so it was always supposed to be hers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I suppose. Oh, it's just man and like the sting of those moments never goes away, you know well, and.
Speaker 1: Where you realize, especially when you're trying to break into the business, they give you way more stuff to try to get then you possibly could like it's it's just too much, it's too much to memorize, it's too much to work on really well. But you're trying your best and you're young, and you know you're in that like when I'm dead phase, and I just was like, I prioritized the wrong thing today and I think I will regret it.
Speaker 4: But see, the good news is out of these colossal failures came learning opportunities and we grew.
Speaker 1: There you go. I always read a break down twice ever since, just to be sure I'm not missing anything important.
Speaker 4: And I do what the script tells me to do now without being too cool for school. With the air.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I guess Chris Hamsreth wasn't all right. It's so funny, feel like it's great, Yeah he got it. Like, let's be honest, they were just seeing guys. They had a guy in mind. I mean, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There's there's always that moment too where you go out for something and then you're like, oh uh huh. I remember one of my favorite scripts I ever read. I was like, I really want to fight for this one, and my team was like it is It's very good, and I was like, why is everyone being so weird? And then the next day in deadline they were like, Anne Halfaway is ink to deal for and I was like, ah, yes, she's won an Oscar understood, Yes.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because you'll get the note oh they win a different direction and my brain is like was it the direction of more talent? But then it'll be like there was one I was supposed to do and I'm like, I just I had to learn the Dougie for it. Yeah, I was. I was just having a day and I was like, no, I'm not going to learn the freaking Dougie for a stupid audition. I was just pissed, right, And I normally never don't do auditions, but on this one, I just like, absolutely not. And then the next week, Deadline announced that Jared Leto was playing that role, and I'm like, ah, exactly, I wasn't even in the mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like cool story bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right. Well hey, look at thirty minutes, we only spent half the time talking about food.
Speaker 1: I'm really proud of us. We're growing.
Speaker 4: Yep, we had a strong second half.
Speaker 1: Thanks friends, Please continue submitting your questions. Yes, and if they are food related, we won't be sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Bye, everybody, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Bye, Hey, thanks for listening. Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queens O t H or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time. We all about that high school drama. Girl Drama Girl, all about them.
Speaker 2: High school queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic Girl Cheering for the right teams, Drama Queens.
Speaker 1: My girl up girl Fashion, but your tough girl.
Speaker 3: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama, Quise Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens, Drama Queens