Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to part two of q LS Classic with the Great Spike Lee. We have so many questions about the illustrious cinematic history. You know, we're just nerves here at Quest Love Supreme. We hope you enjoy part two of our journey with Spike Lee. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Again another film. The last time I father scored were my films, and he.
Speaker 3: Was ready and willing to be actually in the film because that was like his first life.
Speaker 1: Part part of the part of the score. Did I not hear some of those score motifs in later films? The I felt there's one particular score piece.
Speaker 2: There's one piece of Terrence Blanchet wrote that that we used later to say, it's the thing. It's called song for Soweto I love. Yeah, and that's the one he's playing on the Brooklyn Bridge. Terrence blanche wrote that, Okay, so here's the thing. Note with those scores with the school Day's score, do the right thing, and Branford with school Days do the right thing. Mo better blues in the orchestra. My father scored. You had Terrence Blanchard. I mean you had Terrence so for more better blues. When you hear Wesley, that's Branford. Denzel is Terrence blanche So they were both given the actors. You know, my favorite got to be a musician how to play the instruments.
Speaker 1: This is one I want to ask you because there's a scene that you do that not many musicians notice. But because I was coming up and starting about the inter college and stuff and like mo, I'll say that it's where even though I don't pick mo Beta Blues as like, okay, that might be my spike leave film of choice. It's just like maybe it chose me. But so there's the scene where Denzel interrupts uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a point you watch if you watch Wesley and it's done and it's even on the soundtrack. It's like, how did you Is it written in the script that okay, uh, Denzel's character is going to interrupt Wesley's sack solo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that desk that's all done the playback, so we had to had to be in the script. So when we recorded it.
Speaker 1: So at what point did you say exactly five minutes and thirty four seconds, I want you to interrupt.
Speaker 2: It wasn't exactly, but but the script says he has I mean structurally and for a dramatic Denzel his character but get him has been humiliated. And so these two brothers who are at odds, want to show shadow Henderson's his humanity, his love for his brother. So he's like picking him up, let me save you, saving him.
Speaker 1: I'm not even talking about the end. I'm talking at the very beginning, the very not even the battle just and that's this thing.
Speaker 2: It was so much that see what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: It was so minuscule at the very beginning, when you're you're egging on Denzel like yo, man, he's so in for thirty six bars, get him, go and get him.
Speaker 2: And then we worked out in the recording stoo because all this stuff is done, done, done, done, and you know the playback.
Speaker 1: I realized you were on some next ship because any in lesser hands, I felt like that scene would have been an interrupted scene. I don't know. Just as a musician, I hate watching music, miss.
Speaker 2: It the same way I hate watching basketball films.
Speaker 4: Really, yes, even though I want the dog that.
Speaker 2: Somebody shoots, there's the cut to the basket and the ball goes in.
Speaker 1: So why were you not allowed to call it a Love Supreme?
Speaker 2: Oh? Alice Cole tranp uh did not like the profanity and sex in the film in the script, so I said, you let her read it first. Yeah, I mean that, that's she she requested that. But I did care about the title. I just wanted love.
Speaker 1: Supreme because when doing that period.
Speaker 2: Because we do. It's funny because every film we had, like we make Jackets, the crew Jackets, the Crew Jackets said Love Supreme.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, why do you because like with rappers, we will send the clean version of that song for the sample to get cleared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I cannot do that. The junk cold Tran's wife could not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in the name of art, you know, older people don't.
Speaker 2: I cannot do that. But I think most In fact, a friend of mine who I went to school with, Patty Hale's, She's one that came up with the title MO Better Wow.
Speaker 3: By this time, I'm not that I'm adding, but I will say I'm I too. Am a fan of the spike love scenes. So by more Better Blues, the numbers had come up, you know, what I'm saying, like from school days.
Speaker 2: From junkle Fever, what do you mean numbers?
Speaker 5: Numbers? Like as many scenes? It was more. It was like, yeah, more sex, more sex.
Speaker 3: It was Denzel and Senda, and then it was Senda and Wesley and then it.
Speaker 1: Was the scenes. What's the question?
Speaker 3: The question is what is your love scene philosophy? I guess I would ask Spike because they are so a party of movies.
Speaker 2: People think those things sexy, but they are hard to shoot. It's hard, people uncomfortable and.
Speaker 5: You shot your sister, So what is that like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she read the script.
Speaker 2: Then they read the script and they were cool. I was cool.
Speaker 6: And so the scene, uh, where she delivers the baby, we had.
Speaker 2: We went up to Harlem hospital and we knew about the We we we went to the doctor and say when is somebody can be born this day? Hm hmmm. So they can predict, you know. So we we had several people who signed up and uh, we got the call. We rushed to the hospital and filmed the birth.
Speaker 1: I was going to say this point, you had leverage because you were Spike Lee and.
Speaker 2: It was a Harlem hospital.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just saying that by that point, I doubt like you got that. I mean, I'm sure you've gotten your share of nose from the Hollywood system.
Speaker 2: But like, but the whole the hospitals found as long as you get permission from the moms and the family.
Speaker 1: People film births all the time.
Speaker 6: So if the people that you know, if they prove it, then they approve of it being used in the film, then what's the problem.
Speaker 1: But I'm certain that I would get well not I'm sure that your Joe Schmoe filmmaker would get funk out of here. I'm not, you know, as opposed to it's an honor.
Speaker 2: I met her too, okay one day, said, you know I was in More Better Blues, So yeah, what role you feel it being booked? She was like a teenager.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. That's where I wanted to see, Like as the VC, this is my.
Speaker 2: First immortalized forever man.
Speaker 1: Nothing that film. I didn't expect it to take the turn that it took f the end and every musician.
Speaker 2: Man, but here's the thing, though, A mirror that doesn't come from music, that comes from sports. So you just what I did, because you know, any athlete. Now let's say let's let's say, most athletes, whatever sport is, they started playing it. They started playing it when they're a little kid.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: At a certain point, you see, I'm going to try this is what I want to do. So just like musicians, athletes, whatever sport, they spend all their time developing the skill. So what happens I was thought about these athletes who are very young blow out their knee or their armed.
Speaker 1: I want you to save my life, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and then they're like, they're like twenty twenty five and.
Speaker 1: Like and retiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I just that premise of a career and an injury. I just moved that to music to a trumpet player.
Speaker 5: That's still one of the hardest things to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a Yeah.
Speaker 6: That was another movie that I saw it as a kid, but seeing it older, that was when it really guys like.
Speaker 2: And musicians they turn that yes, yeah, child, they turned no musician like I actually played.
Speaker 7: They know they know what you know what this time out what I'm jumping in?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: Like through middle school, I was like first chair, all State ban all that. Can you be a guest on your own reas? I don't know this, I thought, I tell yeah, yeah you Grammy nominated freaking acting man, you do everything?
Speaker 5: He missed The Humble Tea Manids.
Speaker 1: How did you discover Williams audition? Was she Robbie Reid still Robbie Reid cool? So we gotta get right yes, here into the street.
Speaker 2: Or it's a combination of both. You have to go find new talent or does she have interns that like, no, you go to you go you find new talent. Also people sending her agents are sending her people to the combination of both.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Wow was her first film Williams?
Speaker 3: I mean fast forward years years later. But were you proud when you kind when you watched the new Additional Story because that was really great?
Speaker 5: Cast into that she she did.
Speaker 2: Rob Yeah, did do that.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: She's I mean, she's a top executive at BT. No, I mean she's done great. I mean Ruth Carter one of the top costume designers again her class of Hanton two chemical nominations for Malcolm X and Amistad. So Rufe's doing the thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Academy, how did you feel about that? That was a very awkward thing, like thesenger, Oh.
Speaker 2: I know you're talking about why do you explain it because I remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember watching the Academy and it's basically like Kim bassengers just went off script and said that. You know, it was like the very first Oscars a white moment where the the the glaring omission of Do the Right Thing getting nominated for Best Picture, Best Picture, and it made literally everyone.
Speaker 2: We had two nominations. Danny got one for supporting Supporting Yeah he lost the Denzel Denzel cried right and and screenplay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, she just made mentioned that, you know, you know, it's the glaring omission of and I almost feel like even I mean back.
Speaker 2: Then said said, yeah, she said it like she really went off script and went rogue.
Speaker 1: But I was just like, m she didn't get black balled. Let me find out. They just not like, yeah, let's script it in just to you know, keep them at bay and to keep them satisfied and not protesting us and whatever. But were you in the art I was there, How did you feel? Were you shocked? I was shocked because you lost the driving His Days that was that the year.
Speaker 2: Was Driving as motherfucking Day.
Speaker 1: I like that movie Wait.
Speaker 2: The best picture of the year that date.
Speaker 1: Were you was do the Right thing up for the palmdor that year or was that for ju No we lost it to h Was that Jungle Fever?
Speaker 2: Or no, do the right thing? We lost to uh Sex Lives of the Tape? Wow?
Speaker 1: So was that that another movie I haven't thought about in thirty exactly? Was that that we was robbed?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 1: Damn you damn near the Kanye of your pre Kanye Kanye is a spike of his.
Speaker 3: No wonder you ain't show up to get that jo on that look look bested up?
Speaker 1: So with with with Jungle Fever? I know that com Film Festival was so moved by Samuel Jackson's performance. Did they invented best supporting? The category?
Speaker 2: Just made it up right?
Speaker 1: So they decided to have supporting categories so that Sam could win. Did he win or no he won?
Speaker 2: They made up?
Speaker 1: He better went if they made up.
Speaker 2: It was all stand I mean, Sam, I mean that that for me. You know people might talk about, uh that turned yeah, but it was really jungle for you. And the Sam has even said to himself, was.
Speaker 6: He actually still going through fighting his addiction at the time?
Speaker 2: He was, but he just I was the last one to find out.
Speaker 1: You didn't know I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Wow, So how much of that role is scripted? Like I really I kind of want to even go like scene by scene.
Speaker 5: It's weird. I'm like, how much did he improve at the dance?
Speaker 1: You know how I do it.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing though, so again, this is how it buries first film. So while we rehearse in rehearsal process, he's taking hoghly all his former spots.
Speaker 5: Wow, what she said he taught her how to be a crackhead.
Speaker 2: Damn he was taking like so that I mean, that's I mean due to the right. Then here's the thing though, I like to say real quick because I know we gotta want to move move ahead. But people, we all know what a misdirection play is in football, right. The misdirection and Jungle Fever was the inter racial relationship between and Wes Annabella Shore and wealthy character. The real story, which a lot of people miss, is the effect of crack on black families. That's what Jungle Fever is about.
Speaker 1: See, I've always about religion and black family because to.
Speaker 2: Me that that things, but that that comes with Ozzy and Ruby. But also we also get the whole thing with Marvin gay senr.
Speaker 6: Right, and mar You know that that comes directly from Yeah, I felt that the that's that's where it.
Speaker 2: Came from Senior killing his son, Marvin.
Speaker 1: Gay, because I felt like that was the father. Maybe the son was the crack story and the Holy Ghost was the interracial relationship as far as like subplot lines whatever. But dude, no scene has ever scared the ship out me more than Charlie Murphy. He was how.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, that was that was the old ballroom. I think of Abostinian Ballroom, which which is in it was just.
Speaker 1: In decay.
Speaker 2: But what I do is there great songs. Why just make a mental checklist, And I said, one day I'm going to use I just gotta find the right scene.
Speaker 9: But motherfucker, I'm gonna use that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the way it matched up with the lyrics and and.
Speaker 1: The touch of I don't know if it was maybe on television at the time, but when I seen it as he got closer to the crackhouse, there was more of like a green tint of I don't don't know if you guys used to filter or not, or what.
Speaker 2: Kind of TV do you sody? Why would the TV?
Speaker 1: I how many extras was that? How many extras.
Speaker 2: Had a thousand. We wanted we wanted that to be like that famous scene from God with the Wind where they all the Confederate soldiers are like on the ground and injured.
Speaker 1: Did you have to pay them all?
Speaker 2: Yes? At the point did the sack rules up a certain point that to be SAG members. After that we said number then you just they don't have to be.
Speaker 5: Sacked non unions like me, I take that dollars.
Speaker 2: Really, but that that that that and then the thing. It's a great scene. But then at the Wesley Leaves where the whole when when divin the crack coat golsness pocket goes and makes some pockets and sees it here he's been holding on crack like I mean here sucking dicks for you, and I mean like and she was she was, yes, she was smacking this ship out of us.
Speaker 3: Then she came around and then she was like, now smoked this ship because she's seen that he was in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's one.
Speaker 1: I mean, how take how many hours was it? That was one day?
Speaker 2: That whole scene an entire day in there?
Speaker 1: Damn?
Speaker 5: When did you know that?
Speaker 3: Like Ruby d and Ozzie Davis just believed in what you were going to do.
Speaker 5: That's an amazing accomplished.
Speaker 2: My father had done this thing called I Forgot the play, but he did the music for it, and they were in it. So I've always known them and loved their work. And uh just I've been blessed to work with Ruby d I mean with first, as you mentioned before school days, co Oldham didn't do the right thing, the mayor Ruby mother's sister. Then you got them playing together, husband and wife and jungle fever. Then uh, Ozzie getting and get on.
Speaker 1: The bus, get on the bus.
Speaker 2: But then we brought his people. And remember, don't forget this. We bought Ozzie back. Did we do.
Speaker 1: Malcolm eulogy?
Speaker 2: He back and Steard? We do that? So giants, giants.
Speaker 1: By that point, Uh, Spike Lee, the media star, I mean you were constantly on Nightline. Uh seen you on Phil Donahue, Seeing you on I mean you were like, you know, well the point where you're like the the black spokesperson or the angry militant black spokesperson. And I remember doing your Donna Hue appearances that you were, you know, a little myth that you were being asked like where the drugs like, how come you haven't dealt with the crack epidemic? Kettering where you know? How come there was no crack? And do the right Wall Street?
Speaker 2: I mean we that was a big criticism of do the right thing, that the streets were clean, that that that there was no crack and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But that was.
Speaker 2: A conscious decision. That was another film, which was was Jungle Fever. But I mean, I mean I made the comment because Wall Street. You know those marvels, right, I mean there was no any I mean any of that stuff in there.
Speaker 1: But did you feel the pressure at that point like Okay, I gotta I gotta do a crack movie now, or you know.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't the pressure. It was just seeing the devastation of a crack. I mean, we're still dealing with crack because we had a generation of people who are beautiful Black people grew up without parents in the homes and mothers.
Speaker 1: They killed the moms. Like every other drug was kind of like social whatever.
Speaker 2: Took people's soul. I mean, we always had drugs, be hairmal.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But crack. This thing was was a devilish.
Speaker 1: The infamous uh Sister Girls scene, I forgot what you called it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I forgot what you're going one day, I'm going back to the vaults.
Speaker 5: I want to see the full what do.
Speaker 1: You call it in the film? Don't go in there there because that's the you had a special title for it. Told them don't go in there because they're having.
Speaker 2: A Yeah you did.
Speaker 1: I forget the title. But was that.
Speaker 2: No, that was not around it.
Speaker 1: You just let the cameras run, talk about all your all the bags when you ever had your life with black men?
Speaker 6: So basically it was it was a day on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Wait so then that was there each their individual real experiences. Yes, wow, so Teresa when Theresa was like.
Speaker 5: How data mall? And you know, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, that could have been a movie alone we have that was the the least that for two hours.
Speaker 1: Wow. I have to okay, I have to play Devil's advocate because I know that there's been criticism of your representation of women and how the scripted, which I was asking like, well, damn, that seemed pretty realistic. But they were so how especially with Phillis yvon Stickney, who always felt was so underutilized. At no point did you think like, okay, I have to give her a piece so that she can.
Speaker 2: No, I saw Phyllis her One man Shows, I mean one woman shows. She's a she's a great talent, so that's why I put her down, right.
Speaker 1: But I felt like, especially she stole that scene like she's going to have a movie by herself and you know it, but it never happened. Is it hard to really write for for? Is it hard for you to write for women?
Speaker 2: And I think it really depends on that.
Speaker 1: Are you concerned with their development as much as your your male characters?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I think I got a lot much better than once I got married.
Speaker 5: When when she hated me? Was that post marriage?
Speaker 2: That was pre marriage?
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, you're right, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: You you can definitely look where I got married as us before and after, and so I would definitely say that my woman, my betrayals of women more fuller and more layered after I got married.
Speaker 1: Damn girl, how long was Malcolm X in your pocket before you finally felt the need to unleash it as far as the script was concerned, and you wanting to because I can imagine that you had Malcolm X in your pocket.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't that that wasn't the case at all. Uh. The late producer of Marvel Worker bought the rights to the book from the late great Alex Haley and the late great doctor Betty Shabbaz.
Speaker 1: Was it instantly yours or you had to know.
Speaker 2: He's been trying to make that film for twenty years sh And so finally it was announced that Norman Jewison was going to direct the film with Denzel and I started saying the press, hell no, and then the Marvel worf got in touching me and said, Spike stopped, stopped speaking the press, and I'm going to arrange a meeting between you and Norman Jewison. Very fine directed work, yeah, and heated a night with ste Poitier, and I explained to Norman Jewis and why I think that I was the right director for the film, And to his credit, he gracely bowed out because he had the gig. He had the gig, He had the gig Denzel or Denzel was going to play Malcolm X, so that that thing was together before me. Denzel Will played Malcolm X and Norma Jewis and direct the film was.
Speaker 1: The final product your vision?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why three hours?
Speaker 1: Was there any scene that You're like.
Speaker 2: Damn if we could just only No, it was it was three hours convening long.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: We I always saw this film as an epic film. I mean Ernest Dickerson and I. He was very we were very lucky that somehow there was a restoration of lawnser Ray. But right when you were in preproduction at the Zigfield and we said, that's the shit we gotta do. So we wanted to tell the autobiography his life and not just pick us a certain dis and that. No, we want to show the evolution of man, Malcolm Little Detroit, Red, Malcolm x Elhaa, you know, to show the whole evolution of many. And you can't show his transformations from this person for that person in a two hour film. And so trouble began from the very beginning because we never had the correct budget, enough budget for the shoot.
Speaker 1: That film was the initial budget.
Speaker 2: It wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: I forgot, Okay, were you given rat budgets? In other words?
Speaker 2: Uh uh?
Speaker 1: Cypress Hill's first album sixty one thousand. Meanwhile, Metallica's Black Album was four million. Double standard.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't a double standard, just wasn't enough due to epic film we wanted to do, and also Warner Brothers did not want the film to be that length because three hours, that's one less screening in the theater. Funny story, not funny, but the first time we screened the film for the two heads of Warner Brothers co chairman, it was Bob Daily and I keep forgetting the other guy's name. Anyway, the first time they saw the film was the day of the La.
Speaker 1: Riots show.
Speaker 2: Wow, and to their credit, they both stayed. And that was a four hour cut. But the secretaries would come in and throughout the whole thing, or notices and stuff like that. So it's ironic that the first time we showed the film, the Warner Brothers La was up in flames.
Speaker 1: Damn, do you remember any of the celebrity these that didn't help.
Speaker 2: No, here's a thing, let me get the story. So I will not cut the So Warner Brothers wants the film to be two hours. I said, look, it can't be two hours. And so I know that all the Stone is getting ready to finish. JFK preproduction and water brought us film. So I say, how long is JEFFK? They say it's two hours.
Speaker 9: They're knowing I knew al the stone, I think, yo, alva, how long is the okay?
Speaker 2: The spikes? Three hours? Don't tell us mother etn cursed, he said, don't tell me my I said, so, so wait a minute, jaff case me three hours and we can't be three hours. I wouldn't. I wouldn't cut the film. So Warner Brothers let the Bond Company take over the film.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: And so then all the people post production got a letter saying you're no longer. You're fired. So we had no money and I got paid one million dollars for Malcolm X. I put that money into the budget right towards the film. And so in the eight nine months in pre production for Malcolm X, this these I kept thinking about what Malcolm talked about, self reliance, self determination, self religned, self determination, and I kept thinking about that. Then it hit me like a motherfucker tongue of bricks. I got people I could call. I got the number. And here's the tricky thing. It it It couldn't. It was not gonna be a investment in the film. It cannot be a tax break. It just had to be a gift.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: The first call was Bill Cosby, so called Bill was up and he said, what do you want to spike? I told him he knew, so he said, I'll put the check in. I said, no, no, no, I'm coming now. So I jumped on the subway.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Just where you live up east.
Speaker 1: Side, you went to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I got on the subway.
Speaker 1: He was like, I don't believe you. I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 2: He opened the door, had the check. I snatched the check and even come in the house and it ran to the bank before ran the bank before you could cancel that ships. So we had Janet Jackson.
Speaker 1: Did you have a relationship with her like that you could ask her?
Speaker 2: I had a number, you know.
Speaker 1: She just said the strangers for a million?
Speaker 2: So Janet Prince, Tracy Chapman, Wow, ms Oprah Winfrey. There's a woman, an African American woman whose entrepreneur name is Pegga Cooper k for it's from DC. So there's two more people on my list, Magic Johnson. Now one more person my list, Michael m hm. So the only thing that people said, please do not discount, Please do not, you know, disclose how much? So I said, my mother's grave. No one's ever gonna know. So I called my last call my main man money. So Michael Jordan is very very competitive.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you want to know how much everybody else get?
Speaker 2: You know, I just mentioned the range of what Magic gave.
Speaker 1: He wanted to make it rain.
Speaker 7: He said, fuck that you're getting this. So that money enabled me to rehire Oh yeah, that's dope my people.
Speaker 2: And we kept it quiet so there was no interaction between myself and it's still for months. And on Malcolm Ex's birthday, May nineteenth, we had a press conference at the Schomberg Library one hundred and thirty fifth Street in Lennox, where we had a press conference announced the names these prominent African Americans who came through out of goodness their heart, so the vision so the world can see our vision of Malcolm X. And the next day, you know happened. Warner Brother started putting back on the payroll man true story. So how long?
Speaker 1: Okay? Can I ask you who's who was the hardest pitch? Because it's weird because like I have a hard time getting people to come to my DJ gigs. It's like as a virtual stranger. I mean, I have a hard time getting people to do this show. So it's like, how's your pitch? Is it lengthy or is it just like black people education?
Speaker 2: It's like it's nation time. Wow, It's Nation time.
Speaker 5: And nobody was scared. Did their name?
Speaker 1: Was this your first conversation with Prince?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 1: Who was your first? Like? Did you have That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: As knew everybody, not like friends, but I knew enough that I had that number. And it wasn't like, look, here's the story.
Speaker 1: How'd you even get to Prince to be like, yo, I gotta ask him because he's kind of elusive.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, but I got his check, I talked, I told everybody people because it had been the pressed though, I mean it was in the press. This, I mean, the whole thing of Malcolm X was huge, the whole baking, all this stuff.
Speaker 1: And at that point by that point too.
Speaker 2: You know, so it was known. And then the fact that there was known, that that that that they pulled the plug on the money, and so people people understood what was at stake and they would just say how much you need? And so here's the thing, though, so I have a list. Everybody asked in the list came through, but every time one said no one said no, how can you even go to the other Michael.
Speaker 1: That's about that matter of fact, the two other Michaels.
Speaker 2: Who both were Muslim at some point, because at a point I had my money. Okay, so you didn't want to go over just no, no, I just I didn't want to be greedy.
Speaker 1: And you knew that you needed nine million more.
Speaker 2: That wasn't a million. There was at nine million, But I just knew what I needed. So every time I would asked, I would go up and get more confidence, getting pepping my step. So it's like a scale. Every next call, I'm asking for more?
Speaker 5: Are you hitting your chest?
Speaker 2: Like self determination, self alliance? And these prida black people came together and gave us the money to make the feeling way he wanted to make it.
Speaker 1: So Tracy Chapman wasn't like, Okay, well maybe I'll need two videos like no one.
Speaker 2: No, it was all love. It's all love. It had nothing to do with me. It's about Malcolm X. It was about Malcolm.
Speaker 1: Even more importantly, how did you get them all in the room at the same time to shoot that last the credit scene where they're.
Speaker 2: All they weren't the same room. You just made it seem no, we we just where we could find them put on the.
Speaker 5: Wait is that a X men? And I swear I didn't know past that and credits.
Speaker 1: It just looks like when revolution explained by arrested development.
Speaker 2: Who's where to have Ganet, Michael and Magic are together?
Speaker 1: Right? Okay? The way you cut it, though, I just thought everybody was in the room at the same time. I was more impressed with that. I'm like, it was different. This prince got a Malcolm X, this crib or something. Did you give him a baseball gap just in case he wanted one? Prince? That's where I at.
Speaker 2: But that was that was the main because I don't know what it's gonna do.
Speaker 1: How did you pull off the mega sine?
Speaker 2: We were the first, yes, we were the first people ever allowed to bring a thirty five millimeters camera in the Holy City of Mecca during Hajj, and so we just had to hire a Muslim crew.
Speaker 5: Why why why would they they say they let you do it.
Speaker 2: They respect my welcome mix as a Muslim.
Speaker 1: And again, who's pitching them? I don't know. It's just the then of miracles.
Speaker 2: One of the social producers of Fernando Sultan. Somehow he talked the High Islamic Court into grant this permission to shoot.
Speaker 1: Was the resistance or is there a sex in the film? Is there?
Speaker 2: We had to send describe mean, look, I'm not gonna mess around with the High Islamic Court. So thank thank Allah they gave us permission to shoot it because you cannot recreate what we did when when that stuff?
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, well, on the other side of the coin, how did you avoid the ire or anger of the nation?
Speaker 2: Easy? In pre production, I flew to Chicago and had a meeting with the minister. Minister far Khan gotcha, I had. I don't want no problems. So I got on a plane, flew Chicago and sat down on the minister and the minister was really not concerned how he portrayed Malcolm X.
Speaker 1: I was more concerned with.
Speaker 2: Only concerned about honor Olije Muhammad.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 2: And he said, Spike, I wish you well, but there hopefully you will do say that, what do you let me do all the time? Terms like it could possibly?
Speaker 5: Was he cool because you gave a couple of gems in the movie, bro, I mean, but.
Speaker 2: It's deeper.
Speaker 1: There is two.
Speaker 2: He liked the film. He did say Spike, I saw him eventually after he did like the film, did not Who played?
Speaker 1: Was he nominated for Best Supporting Actor?
Speaker 2: Should have been was any?
Speaker 5: It was any?
Speaker 2: Only the nominations were Denzel and Ruth Carter. And that's a lost Alpacino for Center one number Wait, that's the NBA makeup call because Pino is a great actor. Did not win for Godfather One. Curp Cold the Afternoon, right, and so Denzil's young You'll be back boom want anyway?
Speaker 1: Center A Woman was stupid though that It's amazing disappoint you had a good it was such a classic film.
Speaker 2: But look, Pacino did not win for Godfather One, Godfather Circle, do the right thing. At least one of those you should have won too, At least.
Speaker 6: Malcolm X was so crazy. I remember it's it's just so crazy to be sitting there with you. It came out when I was in seventh grade. You cut school, no even better. I tried to get my class to go see it, and I almost got it done, but something happened and the principle was like nah, and it ended up in the paper.
Speaker 2: They ended up in the papers.
Speaker 1: It was as the school I went to. Ready, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna go see cut school play Hooky.
Speaker 1: The school I went to men in the Hall Middle.
Speaker 6: It was like it was like a school that was in the middle of a very affluent neighborhood in our city.
Speaker 5: But it's still Carolina And uh, I mean, yeah, but niggas got money. I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: I was just saying, you know, but yeah, but it was you know so but yeah, But I was like, Yo, we should go see it. We could make it a class trip and all this ship and it was happening and then all of a sudden it just got shut down.
Speaker 6: And I remember reading it in the paper. So apparently something went down with the principal of some ship. But they were like nah, But I ended up going to see it myself, of course. So were you fine with the parting of you and Ernest at that period? I don't know, Oh, yeah, you'd stopped working with each other after.
Speaker 2: Because Ernest wanted to do the day he came to film school told me I'm gonna be a director. So I always knew that day was coming when he would, you know, direct the film and continue on that path.
Speaker 1: See, we're just like give me five years. And no, we never talked about.
Speaker 2: It, you know, but it was at Malcolm X. I knew that was going to be the end that he was looking to direct.
Speaker 1: But you couldn't do both. I'm sorry, that's not.
Speaker 2: What we wanted to do. And so look, I mean I want people do what they want to do.
Speaker 1: But aren't you afraid that the formula will be different? Like damn? Like you you have such a good marriage and such an identity with these shots.
Speaker 2: I've worked with great deep peace, Malik said Ellen curis uh a whole bunch of people, you know. So we had we had a great time together. You know, we're away to have those films and he's doing what he wants to do, which is direct.
Speaker 1: What did you think of Juice? Loved it? This was it. Damn. It just hit me that you never worked with Tupac And now I wonder what would have come of it had Tupac acted in one of your films. I mean he had he had conversations at all.
Speaker 2: I don't think I ever met him. I don't I don't really remember meeting him. Wow, because when I came to the set, he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Juice, no have you ever met Tubac. I don't think I remember. I remember was Distance spit in the interview like this was a while. I mean this is he was.
Speaker 6: He was saying, because I didn't come to the premiere or Juice or something like that.
Speaker 2: No, that I wasn't around the set. I mean me and Ernst were like we grew up together. I have to be on this first of all, when i'm when i'm when I'm on when i'm if I'm a direct in the film, I don't.
Speaker 3: Go to this.
Speaker 2: I just I just feel awkward on all the people's sense.
Speaker 1: I don't go.
Speaker 8: And also, you visited Graffiti Bridge anywhere I wanted any Prince, you couldn't stop that.
Speaker 1: You couldn't stop that from half.
Speaker 2: I wanted, when Prince calls for you, I'm coming right right right?
Speaker 1: Is that how y'all got girls sick? And how you got him to do this?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had this script and I said, look, I said the script, want use all your songs? So okay, And he said, can I choose a song? Said yeah, go ahead, Wow, So he wrote the theme song title.
Speaker 1: So I guess for crooking. Well, even though it's the story of your mother, that could have been more the.
Speaker 2: Lee family story, the Lee family growing up and for true was it anything that was I mean, the dog didn't pop about of the castle, the character that.
Speaker 5: You played with, and the dude the neighbor down.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying that even though you're talking about your family, that is really something on a biographical But to me it was like a lighthearted Okay, it wasn't in the days. Yeah, that could have been your romantic comedy or you're you're lighthearted.
Speaker 2: We want to do something after Malcolm X different.
Speaker 3: That was the first time I say my daddy cry after he saw Crookly because people want to raise.
Speaker 6: The New York the scene in Crookland where when she goes south down and what was the thought behind That's.
Speaker 2: Well, it was ours in Wonderland Ash.
Speaker 1: She's in a strange place, and you.
Speaker 2: Know it's crazy because people were I was TV.
Speaker 1: I was confused at first, but straight it took me a minute to figure out what you were going for. I love that. That's one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 2: The other day Raising and Beads and you know what, people if I if I took score, people come up of all the things I done. People say Crookland want any other film more to do the right thing more than Malcolm X. Just on the street, just strangers, they say, Crook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, and it's like a not a workingman's film. But you know, I feel like your your initial arsenal. The first five or six were so larger than life and epic and you know, again you have the pressure of being our spokesperson and you have to cross every team, dot every I I was gonna ask like, is there I mean, do you have writers block? And I'm paralleling this the songwriting, Like, okay, so obviously Malcolm X is your thriller, your Purple Rain or whatever. Like when you're trying to follow up a film, are you just like I'm out of ideas or I just like, where do you go to? Well, I've been to your crib before.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing though, is that is that I've done films I didn't direct. I mean, excuse me, I didn't write. So the original script A Crook was called hot Piece and Butters written my brother SANKI and my sister JOI. So they brought it to me. I said, I want to, you know, rewrite it. And so that's where that that was the origin of that. So I always have I have a bunch of stuff to make, So it's nothing about writers blocks about getting the money to make those films.
Speaker 6: My question for you one thing I've always admired about you, and I don't know how you do it. You always seem to be like right on time, like timely, so like particularly thinking of twenty fifth hour, I mean that came like right, you know, on the hills of nine eleven. How how did that come together?
Speaker 2: Well, twenty thous a novel by David Bennioff of Games of Throne Fame, and the novel takes place before Nane eleven.
Speaker 1: Ah, so.
Speaker 2: Edward Norton I got the idea to make it take place post nan eleven. So that's that's how that happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's one of my I think, in my opinion, that's one of your underrated joints. Like, I mean, people they talk about do the right thing and all the early but twenty four that one really spoke to me. I thought you really did a great joy was just capturing the city post nine eleven.
Speaker 1: Like it just felt so empty and like it was fucked up. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Look at The Barry Pepper, Edward Norton, The Lake Phillis, te Mahawfin Rosario, Brian Cox.
Speaker 3: I mean the cast was killing, you know, don't you think every person because that's Fante says, that's his favor. But I feel like every person who's a Spike fan has their list of classics and then the ones that I think people slept on, like I think people slept on Miracle as Saint Anna, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But it seems like you have those two lists of you slept.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, though, you know, you really it's like music. You know, we sleep on albums, you know, you sleep on plays, and and you just gotta hope that sooner or later people get it, you know, and that's that's all you can do as an artist. You know, you just put it out there, and once it's out in the public, you know, really, what can you do? You know, you can't really, especially when you don't have millions of million dollars behind you to push it. You know, I just gotta you just gotta leave it out there, you know, see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm slightly and I'm jumping ahead of a lot of films because I felt that one of the films that has proved itself there very accurate in time. Yeah. Yeah, Actually, in this very room that we're in, you came to me, uh, sixteen seventeen years ago with all of these menstrual toys in a.
Speaker 2: Bag which I still have.
Speaker 1: You pitched us bamboozle and ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Yes, did you guys take a lot of heat for playing Alabama porch Monkeys once?
Speaker 1: NAS tried to use that against us because okay, well, because we had backed up jay z It's it was like we chose sides during that Nas jay Z war, and we chose when we did jay Z's Unplugged, but you were choosing size though we were supposed to be Switzerland.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the thing was when we did take over, like we started your music, yeah right, we started doing like non music, so like really like you know, put the put the dagger in the heart and so you know, he he had words for us on Hot ninety seven, but we didn't we didn't catch words. However, when what's it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Who played? Uh, I'm about to say not not the Detta Man Roger Smith. Yeah, yeah, he had visited the fallon set and on like day one. He happened to be like a the NBC building and he he had a h he's a.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: A matter of fact, we did Barefoot Pregnant for Spikes walk Out Late Night with Jimmy fo.
Speaker 6: Is that an original song or is that? Yeah, we just made on on the spot. I've been waiting for that to show up on the Roots album for the last sixteen years.
Speaker 5: When you think porch Monkeys or.
Speaker 1: The thing is, here's the thing was? It was like.
Speaker 2: I was warned.
Speaker 1: I regret it. No hell, no good, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I was like.
Speaker 1: At first, I thought, come on, man, like, all right, here's the deal.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if you were doing the school days on us, but for some reason, the trailer for the Roots and we had to put on black face and all that ship the trailer for the Roots and wearing those jail suits. The trail, the our dressing room trailer was three blocks away from where we had to shoot that school you being with no context whatsoever, I don't know. And you know this nineteen ninety nine two thousand was our breakout year, so you know, pre things fall apart, you know, I was like the guy with the weird head or you know, you have the Snoop Dogg haircut. Here comes. But I was definitely quest love at that point, and there was a thank god social media wasn't out man at that point. It was it was like.
Speaker 5: When there was okay.
Speaker 6: No, they were just confused, like what the how was this? And because I had the red lipstick. Yeah, so it wasn't even like y'all could do the Dead Presidents with the white.
Speaker 1: Get sat doing it for a week, just doing it without context. So people just think there was no cell phone back then on this stuff. And by the last day, I was like, let me find out Spike's trying to school days us. And so when I saw the film, I was like, damn, this is this is a hard feel to swallow, Like what's the likelihood? Because I knew by that point the only menstrual we really truly had to worry about was like, you know, upn had that home and yeah, he's a secret diary of Desmond BI. Yeah that's stuff.
Speaker 5: And that was a funny slave show.
Speaker 1: I was like a slave rom com. I mean, we were excited because this is like our first feature thing. But in the bad I was like, maybe Spike went over the top with this one. But then maybe five years later I was like, oh, just like they said in Bamboozle. Next year, oh yeah, that's right, just like Bamboozle. But then by year ten I remember hitting up like, I was like, Yo, do you find it strange that all the things that Spike was talking about back in two thousands happening now?
Speaker 6: It's like bamboozo and Idiocracy or like films, Yeah, their documentaries squat.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, yeah, so I mean you, I mean, if you have the dart in your hand, I would said that, you know, you weren't exactly one hundred maybe you were kind of like sixty one percent back in two thousand. Now I'm thinking that you went a little light, like, well, did you really foresee that we wound up in the post minstrel entertainment hell that we are in right now?
Speaker 2: Where I saw it coming and what I wanted to coming though, I mean.
Speaker 5: Tyler, it was just.
Speaker 1: The Korea, not where are you listening this album? Totally forgot what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I just think I've always felt that you could tell who we are as a people. Bar music that really tells you.
Speaker 1: Know who we are. Boy, damn muse.
Speaker 2: And I just saw it going south and uh literally or.
Speaker 1: No Southland, No south I'm not doing that. No Southlander. Don't you live down south? But come on, bruh. But you know you from Queens, you know, and we adopted you, brom. I'm Carolina born and raised. Man. I ain't going nowhere claim man. We claimed you. Okay, that's cool. I just saw where's your heart? Line? My heart it's still line.
Speaker 5: You have a Northeast liberal, you are.
Speaker 1: I'm a Northeast liberal.
Speaker 5: Half a Northeast liberal.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: Maybe I just think that it was going, you know, down, not south, but down, and that we were losing. We're forgetting who we are. We're great people, come from great ancestors, and we were losing that for the fame of money and fame praying at the on our knees, praying at the altar, the almighty dollar. And this was an examination of this character De la Croix, who lost his soul trying to be successful and then once he got woke, it was too late. It was too late. And it was also when that film was made. It was one hundred anniversary of film and was the fifth one hundred and it was the fiftieth anniversary of television. So why did this show how these two mediums have the based our ancestors are people who we are. But that same film can be made about the debasement of Native Americans women. So it's how I mean, if you look at look at the films of John Ford and John Wayne, look what the Native Americans are savages and this whole the humanization of people through the powerful mediums of television and Cinnamon. That's why we have that that very very hard, hard hard montage at the end, which is really painful to see. But I felt that, you know, we need to Why is it that that your people, Jewish people talk every day about the Holocaust and that's great, you know, we should deal with our own Holocaust too, and that's what that film is about.
Speaker 1: But I was just what was yeah you said, because that means I get the floor.
Speaker 4: Just coincidentally maybe or I don't know, my favorite one of your films, bimbos. Yeah, with the just the most direct message, most in your favorite message, Malcolm X. And then that's the truth.
Speaker 2: I believe you. I believe you.
Speaker 1: So it was a very very.
Speaker 2: I mean, just like this stuff that you talked about those those the memorabilia, the Jolly Nigger Bank and all that stuff. That is the real thing, real things.
Speaker 3: And I invite everybody to go to the National Museum of African American History and Culture where they have a crazy display of the history of the menstrual and that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well did you Okay? So even even more than just the menstrual angle, reality TV, just with reality TV and the viral natel that we are in now, snuff film, Yeah, the live streaming snuff film.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. Yeah, the girl killing her sister in the car like you.
Speaker 2: And Eric the murder Eric Gardner's the snuff film, and we go on, I mean every just snuff films we're seeing.
Speaker 5: Because after a certain amount of views is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, h wow. Did I interrupt you?
Speaker 6: Oh? Well, only the question I had about one at what was the decision to shoot? Because you shot that on digit many TV? So my questions what was it budget?
Speaker 1: Was it a budget?
Speaker 2: It was two things. It was artistic and budget. Chair you wanted to shoot the performance on digital tape and everything and everything else on film because most TV shows are filmed on tape. So that was that was Ellen. Curious again, was it the DP did a great job. So that was the decision to do it like that?
Speaker 1: Oh no, actually.
Speaker 2: I love the the end for the end title song Misrepresented People No Shadow Lands by Bruce Warren. Yeah, great, yeah, great, great song.
Speaker 5: It's a good soundtrack too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stevie mister, speaking of.
Speaker 1: The soundtracks, how did you and Stevie get together for Jungle Fever?
Speaker 3: Job?
Speaker 1: Did you? Had you already chosen to do the the Ta Mall scene was living for the city and then.
Speaker 2: But that was the only song that was not written for the film.
Speaker 1: After I was asking, like, did you ask Steve after you had made this?
Speaker 2: Out of his son wrote to the script. I said, see the script and he said, please do this, do the songs for us. He said okay, wow. And everybody told me that he would not do it in time, but he through.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, how did you because one he had no no records ready. Between eighty eight and nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: The script was transcribing to Braille, Wow, and we would send them scenes and you know, he goes. Steve goes the movies all the time, and he came through. One of my favorite songs on that album is a chemical Love you remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, some people don't drive drink. Yeah that woman, yeah, cover yeah. Me and my band the Forny Change we covered heart Yeah. I got that's from from Jungle all right, So we get on the bus. Did you knowing that the event? How much an advance did you have before? You were like, okay, you know what I'm saying, like it was so old time.
Speaker 3: We had like.
Speaker 2: Really probably two months. But to shoot it, I mean, they came to me, so let's do this film. Were shooting eighteen.
Speaker 1: They came to you.
Speaker 2: Who oh, I forget I'm bad with names now, but they said, we got this film, I want to shoot it.
Speaker 1: A road movie. And you didn't write it.
Speaker 2: No, Reggie Rock wrote it. Okay, Reggie, Yeah, he wrote it.
Speaker 1: Oh, Gena and okay, oh I didn't know it. Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So it was a road movie.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get everything out there were touched Where's girl six in the skil?
Speaker 5: Kind of did?
Speaker 3: But I was just had a Teresa always say Randall Randall, Teresa Randall question because she had such in Malcolm X and in Jungle Fever like especially younger people was a smaller role and of course Malcolm x more still small but like what why her?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, it's very hard for black women.
Speaker 5: To say that in the mics, I hear it's very hard for black.
Speaker 2: Women to sustain long careers. And uh, very talented, very attractive. And I don't know what happened, but I mean, I mean bad boys, but I mean.
Speaker 1: She father what.
Speaker 6: He is?
Speaker 1: Fad Jesus? The story? Sorry?
Speaker 6: fIF for is it the story true about him taking pictures at the walmart and bring them to you?
Speaker 2: For? Yes? Uh?
Speaker 1: For? She got.
Speaker 2: I don't know that Mackay's cousin.
Speaker 1: What's that story?
Speaker 2: Mackay accompanied his cousin to the audition, and we asked him, what do you want audition?
Speaker 1: You're here?
Speaker 2: So he came in and he got the role.
Speaker 5: Wow, okay, seeing you.
Speaker 1: Or seeing Robbie? Does he do all? I was in the room, Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Robbie like pre screen stuff. But you know, like I was in the room when I saw Mackay said, because he was even the comfortable dishes came because he said, come with me.
Speaker 5: Wow, look at him now?
Speaker 1: So for he got game? First of all, what irks you about basketball films.
Speaker 2: That I don't fake? That what I'm using, I'm not saying fake news, just don't look real. And here's the thing though, where I sit in masquare a garden, I did not want players on the Knicks or opposing teams, say Spike, that movie is bullshit.
Speaker 1: So the last scene of Denzel and Ray planning that was a real game.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's scripted. This famous famous story is scripted that Ray's polls to win. He live in zip. Denzel No, Denzel was on Fortum's JV team. His coach was PJ. Chrissimo. And Denzel is says, an athlete. So his thing was like, fuck what the script says, I'm scoring at least one basket and it will be a moral victory. And so Denzel started throwing up some humble shit it was going in and Ray Allen was shocked because this Ray's first film. You gotta do what the script so racist. Spike was up, He's not He's not about to get any basket like this, What do you want me to do? So after that, Race said fun that then they doesn't score another basket, but it was a moral victory and it was better for the film too, that that that Denzel that that that Jake Schulsworth got those baskets the scripted raised Jesu supposed to win. He liveing zip.
Speaker 6: And and and.
Speaker 2: Ray did not know basket that the Densil could play.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that Denzel could Playford JV Team on the crazy mm hmm. So how did you? I mean, just what is it as a non sports junkie asking you guys? Shocker? No, I'm not. I'm not. So what am I missing in sports films that you see or you look at sports film the way that look at music films like, Okay, his fingering is not right.
Speaker 2: It's fake and it's not real. Earl Monroe from Philadelphia was a basketball consultant on the film, and we just wanted that's where we cast real players. We've cast real players, so we get the You know.
Speaker 1: Now, how much patience did you have to have with your actors who didn't have that much experienced acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the world's greatest acting coach, Susan Batson, who was there every day with him. So I mean, I think Ray did a great job, you know, and just that whole again, for me, it's more than a basketball film. For me, that that is a father and Son story.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get to the end. I swear to.
Speaker 5: Seven more movies.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I've seen I've seen Summer Sam maybe at the right time, but I don't know. That's it's not like, you know, it wouldn't be in my my Spike type top three. But for some reason, you know, I'm picking that in my I love that film.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: I like thrillers. I wish you would do more thrillers. You know, it's just it. Yeah, and in fact, you got Jimmy Breslin to like do it. That was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the beginning and the end, like the book. Yeah, because theo Berg was on Sam. He was writing letters to Jimmy Bresling. I mean, that's why I want to be the booking And you know he just recently passed God bless his soul. Great guy, great guy.
Speaker 1: So my question for Inside Man is was there a not Again, I don't know if there's ever a pressure, but I mean, Inside Man, you made your Holly film. Yeah, yeah, you're you know you're opening The opening was marvelous, know it? So for you, was it just like, Okay, I want to show Hollywood that I know how to make I'm gonna play their game, and you know, not.
Speaker 2: Not really, because it was a great script and it was a chance to work again with my men, Denzel Washington and I and I like that genre and we we we screened Dog Day Afternoon like numerous times by the great director Sydney. So it was a fun It was a fun film. Russell Russell Gorovitz first, I'm screenwriter. And the twist at the end, we know we would get people. The funny thing about that film is that that the it was critical the fine actor would stand up to Denzel because most actors, you know, Denzel could run over you.
Speaker 1: How how you see she would tell no.
Speaker 5: The way he does is a quiet attext.
Speaker 1: Is it to direct Denzel is Denzel? You know you can't tell me nothing, no, no.
Speaker 2: You let Denzel do his thing. And then there's certain things that you know, listen, but you know he doesn't need you to say do this, do this this. You know that's that's disrespectful.
Speaker 1: You know you never do that, is it? Yes? But even though you get the final word, well, I mean and we.
Speaker 2: Never we've never ever had had an instant. I mean it's like sometimes he says, Spike, I think I got us okay, and sometimes I need one more and he said, cool, let's do it. But you know we we've it's always been me and him been mad, mad cool, but I want to get back. The other point is that Denzel is so powerful that he makes an actor shrink and he's intimidating, so I knew I had to get an actor. It was like, there's not going to be afraid of Denzel, Like Clyde was like, fuck this, I'm a man too over me and you needed that that happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I was just imagining that if you have a script.
Speaker 5: A little bit like you can see that.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, if you have a script and say, like there's a scene where I have conflict with Denzel's character, and I had to argue, you're saying that he's so powerful of an actor that I might intimidation. It's like if you're playing on stage with somebody this yeah, yeah, but I figured that a tier and I'm not doudesn't. I'm just saying that I figured that a wise veteran actor would want you to shine with them.
Speaker 2: Or is it just because it might be that your character's role that you gotta do your thing and so if somebody'dn't stand up against you, it's gonna be like a slaughter. And that's why, because you had to have this conflict where they were like head the head and if someone was weak or soft, you won't believe it. And that's why it was Thank god we got Clive Owen.
Speaker 1: So can I ask you were you did you know that Denzel had in him to do training day? Because when I watched that shit, I was like, oh God, who knew? I never knew knew it. How come you weren't tempted to show that because.
Speaker 2: Because the films I did didn't that wasn't a role. I mean, you get someone, you see someone, and he got game.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, but he he was also at the mercy of you know, like he was on his knee, not on his but or or he was on his knees and humbled because he was in prison and trying to broker deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when he came out though, he was smacking.
Speaker 1: Throat punch And I'm not going to say that.
Speaker 2: But amir, here's the thing I'm gonna repeat this though, is that I knew Denzel had a train date. But what what film would that would that was not working mo better, I.
Speaker 1: Did you come up with a vehicle that would maybe even he looked he like the Detroit red O come on out. Yeah, with the gun.
Speaker 2: He was pure gangster hit hit the upside in in in the Great Bar to just close the Harlem Linux Louns. Yeah, Lynus lounge. They even took the sign down. It's crazy side. The guys have the bottle. Oh, he's definitely a gang American. That's just that's that's that's the American gangster and trendated which you read would.
Speaker 1: You ever have? Do you think it's in you to come up with a fifth vehicle? Fourth vehicle for you and him to work in.
Speaker 2: Be the fifth Yeah, I'm sorry, but all the time, you know, just gotta to be the right right. First of all, you got to get him because it's just stacked them like at JFK mean, I mean like got movies the next two years and.
Speaker 5: Ship were you were you really proud of the defenses? I mean that was his to my but him him doing it if I'm directing just the.
Speaker 1: Product itself, but I know that he also did the Great Debaters, but say director.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was more. That was like his passion project.
Speaker 1: Did he direct Antoine Fisher too? What did it? Yeah? That's where Derek Luke, Yeah, I forgot.
Speaker 2: Is a total package.
Speaker 1: All right, we can go on forever. I'm I'm gonna try and I'm gonna rapid fire this. Okay. So as as a musician, there are songs that I wish I had written as a director.
Speaker 2: What songs?
Speaker 1: I really I got really under my skin when I first heard outcasts Potiolicious. It's not a hit, but I just wish I came up with that. Well, yeah, it's in the hearts of But I really wish I had my hand in that because I got something to say. That's all I got to say. Shut up. But are there movies or projects that you well besides Jackie Robinson and James Brown, but films specifically, one film that you wish you directed, be it success or failure, that you wish he had your version of it? I wish he directed Ali for the record, but.
Speaker 2: I wanted direct I had interviewed for it. I didn't get the job.
Speaker 5: Wow, who did you have to talk to for Colored Girls?
Speaker 1: Ali? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 1: Who was the executive?
Speaker 2: Was the Will and James? Last?
Speaker 1: Yikes?
Speaker 5: You know that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Never mind, I'm not getting anybody. And that's yeah, because they're both I was just thinking that's interesting. They're both brothers. It's over brook.
Speaker 5: They had to you know, and they chose.
Speaker 1: They chose Michael Mann exactly.
Speaker 5: So I was just thinking, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't I mean, it was a I mean does the studio have to say to mm hmm?
Speaker 1: So you wish that Ali was your I would like to direct that.
Speaker 2: I would like to director Jackie Robbinson, James Brown too.
Speaker 1: I wish Brown movie. I still think there's others to do. We didn't talk about your documentary work at all. Whoa that could be oversight.
Speaker 5: Movies.
Speaker 6: We won't get into it now. If you could do a director cut of any of your movies, which one would you do?
Speaker 1: Wait? Is there a four hour Malcolm X?
Speaker 2: We knew that it was never gonna be four hours, but that was the first cut that we showed to.
Speaker 1: Is there a version of it unscathed? Is there a four hour cut?
Speaker 2: We think somewhere out there, I think a Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: You don't have a copy for yourself, you don't keep a demo.
Speaker 2: Keep we were That was the last thing we would think about then damn.
Speaker 1: It made.
Speaker 2: But for the documentaries, I mean, I'm very proud of them, the two Katrina, uh God, and then Jesus Story about Full Little Girls. So while we're in pre production, uh, we found the post more than pictures of the Full Little Girls, and I kept praying and praying, should I include these photographs? And final just made the decision.
Speaker 1: We have to show.
Speaker 2: How hate looks like, how the clan looks like, how these murders look like, how these Reddinneck racists look like. And so we included the photographs. And I did not tell the parents that we included. You know, they were shook.
Speaker 1: Were they still alive them or some of them.
Speaker 2: That then uh Dan's parents were and then they were shook then, but they understood why, uh why I did it? And this who we are as a people. I mean, you know, it's amazing that we as black people don't go off man, who I mean, we're talking about p s what's it called? We had that from slavery, that's still with us, that is still with us, and we're not a lot of us aren't. Mentally you know, we're not right because we're still dealing with the vestages of slavery, and and and and washing television and seen as being shot down like dogs and then cops walk away like nothing, nothing even happened. And I mean it's crazy. Now today, I know this is not gonna be this will be seen dated. But today that they passed, uh, you know, getting rid of Obamacare, I mean, and and those are these guys. They have no heart, no love. They're just cold blood and murderers because people are gonna die if they can't get the stuff they got through Obamacare, and they don't want to give a fuck, so what poor it's it's it's, it's it's And that's why I to give a shout out to man jay Z. That album. I gotta give it up. You know, I've always been a fan, but this new album, I mean, it's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Have you ever worked with or anything?
Speaker 2: I did one thing for him? There's a short film called to be jay Z for one Day. It was for as for his rock aware Well other than that, that's it.
Speaker 5: Did your son listen to the album? I wonder because I know, okay.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my son, he's on it. We'll be hipping me ship because.
Speaker 3: Folks, you know, sometimes they say, that's a little bit of an older person's album in that way.
Speaker 2: The certain things that the certain things that my wife and I town, you know, they ask questions like so we have to break it down, but you know there's something they don't know. My daughter too, who just graduate.
Speaker 1: N y U. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah doing she graduated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's working at MTV the new RTL show.
Speaker 1: One question I have for you is about remakes. Uh, how do you determine what the remake?
Speaker 6: Because when you did The Sweet Blood of Jesus, which was the Gonjas, that was a very odd I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, really odd.
Speaker 2: So I haven't seen that very early on when I was in film school. It was written by a really underrated black filmmaker, playwright Bill Gunn and uh so on the film school and always loved that film and thought about, you know what, how how we do that today with this whole religious you know impact, you know, and then going back to Africa and stuff like that. And it's not a horror film. And I never saw doctor Hess as a vampire, but these are people who blood, and you really use blood as a for a lot of other things. So that that film was great about that film was shooting Marla's Vinie because I've always wanted to shoot a film Marlin's Vienna. I ne't even heard of mars Vinia in one of my classmates. There's always been a large black community in mars Vinyon up and down the East coast, you know, professional black folks. And my friend was from Philly, John Wilson. One we were in school. We said, you should come to Martins have a house. My grandma's the house of mars Vina said Marla's viny I went there loved and I said, one day, Lord, if you ever get any money, I want to buy a Brownston Brooklyn season ticket to Knicks.
Speaker 1: In the house, would you consider doing the Kickstarter route again? Like for that?
Speaker 2: That was my questions, That was, I can't do that again. But what people might not know we were using the strategy a Kickstarter marketing to make them no, no, to make she's gonna have it right, you know. So we just have the technology. And so it's always been my thing, like you gotta you gotta whatever you gotta do, you know, show up killing somebody and going to jail and still be honest. You gotta do what we gotta do. To get the films made, because this is an industry, an art phone where you need money. And now with the technology, people making films with their their iPhones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you and Tyler Perry, or maybe Tyler Perry had beef with you. He had words for you, and he was very vocal at one time saying, well, if you think my movies are bad, you know, why don't you try to help me?
Speaker 1: Or whatever?
Speaker 6: What would you say as a director and director speak, what could make his movies better?
Speaker 2: Me and Tyler Perry are cool. All that stuff it's been squashed like four or five years ago. So I mean it's it's there's really, you know, nothing to dig up. You know, we're cool. He's doing all things. You know, we got love for each other. And you know, I flew down to Atlanta. I said, Yo, we gotta speak. I got got on the plane delta, went to his house. We sat down, we talked. You know, we said, well, whatever we discuss, will just keep between us and say we're cool. And that was and that's that's what happened.
Speaker 5: I'm I had that conversation before Color for Colored Girls.
Speaker 1: You know, I I wish I can't wait for the day where he's just a producer and not star. I like him as an actor, and uh, girl, baby girl, the lawyer, he was the lawyer.
Speaker 6: But I couldn't have to sit through the trailer for Boom too, so Boom Boom, there's a second, the second one.
Speaker 1: Halloween Halloween.
Speaker 2: Lord, how I'm just doing trails for Halloween films already.
Speaker 1: I saw when I went to one.
Speaker 2: Next year that Black History Month.
Speaker 1: So well, yeah, I'm just saying that I can't wait for the where he's just producer and that he finds and he he's just you know, or the curator of other to come in and precious the studio. Speaking of which, okay, yes, red Stone and Ship, did you and Eddie Murphy ever have a Kumbay conversation moment just since never found the project? Wait?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: No? He just never We just never found the work together. So I know he was excited. I know Chris Rock told when he was on the show, he spoke of Eddie Murphy and all of them coming to see she's got to have it and you know, having a screening of it. But just during that period, like, did you guys ever did he ever try to invite you to be in the Black Pack and that sort of.
Speaker 2: Thing and funny story during Do the Right Thing. Halfway through said Spike, I want to give you guys a party. That's when he lived in that was it called Bubble Hill. We tourist house up this broken. I left when people started jumping in the pool naked. That's all I get out of here.
Speaker 6: Do the do the younger guys, the young cats come up like with Ava she you know, and like Ryan Coogler, did they chop it up with you today?
Speaker 1: Come to you for advice or game or whatever.
Speaker 2: Uh my man did when he was doing uh Rocky, he came to mind office and your office, n y U. But here's the thing though, you know, like look, people people have my number, so it's you know, people want to speak. I'm available, so it's not like I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: You know. What about with your cousin Malcolm, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean by the way, yeah girls, and yeah, big shout out to my first cousin Malcolm Lee, my father, his father, brothers, and uh he's doing this thing, doing that thing.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the age gap between you two?
Speaker 2: Like were you when I was in fact, when I was in n y U. I was living in his basement. Oh wow, in Crown Heights. So Malcolm was in high school when I was in grad film?
Speaker 1: Were you the reason why he got in the film.
Speaker 2: That's what he said, That's what he says.
Speaker 6: I can take that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean his cousin was a big movie director, so it was it was an influence. But you know he's done it on his own, you know, so power to them. Happy form.
Speaker 5: Whose images are you feeling? Like?
Speaker 3: Who's what's the last couple of projects that you saw? You was like, I'm appreciating his voice.
Speaker 2: Well, my two films I saw last year, I'm Not Your Negro, Roe Peck and o J in America those are my joints. I mean those those were monumental.
Speaker 1: Did you see get Out?
Speaker 2: You loved it too, but.
Speaker 1: But I loved it. But for me, I just.
Speaker 2: Those two films I mentioned before, I'm not Your Negro and uh Older in America?
Speaker 1: Did you see Moonlight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What what was your take on it?
Speaker 2: Like it too? But my two favorite, I.
Speaker 5: Mean just my Yeah, you know I'm not your Negro? Need to view?
Speaker 1: So yes, yeah, I saw that. I saw that one time I was up here we were taping.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm just always curious to hear just what you know, the movies that we like as consumers, but you as a director, like what you see?
Speaker 2: You know the new joint that is dunk Kirk, Is it like her? Yeah? You gotta goes Christopher Nolan's no joke.
Speaker 6: So I wasn't big on Interstellar, but I heard because like that, do we need to do the seventy millimeters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta see the Imax sixty eighth and Andy.
Speaker 1: Okay seven million? Oh that I heard they are in their ninety three Rotten Tomatoes, so that ship.
Speaker 2: Look, Christopher Nolan is a serious director. He's dope. And there's hardly any dialogue in it too, and no and no and no blue screens. All that'sh's real. No green screens.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I'm gonna take it. Yea, I'm gonna let you because I'm getting the last question on this.
Speaker 6: How can I see the entire last hustle in Brooklyn aside from just a clip in the Off the Wall documentary.
Speaker 2: One day when when I'm going to have to go back do color correction, pick up the sound. But the thing about a lot of that music was never cleared, you know, there's all disco music.
Speaker 1: She's got to have it. Netflix series. Yes, when is that dropping?
Speaker 2: Thanksgiving Day? Can we talk all black excellence bene day? We will do that.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Wanda Miller I recently found I'm sorry, I recently fell in love with her underground shots fired. But I don't even know the sequence of the cast and if you were third or whatever, but we were after that? Okay, okay, So what made you decide she was no dope?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's like dope.
Speaker 2: You know who's gonna be gonna know who's gonna surprise people in this?
Speaker 1: Who fat Joe? Wow?
Speaker 2: Bad joke.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you what's here for Joe?
Speaker 2: This character is called winn he Win and he plays the MC owner of a burless club called the Hot and Trot.
Speaker 1: Wow. How many episodes? Ten?
Speaker 2: I directed them?
Speaker 1: All? Is it our half hour?
Speaker 2: Half hour?
Speaker 1: Half hour?
Speaker 2: What's this given day?
Speaker 1: What's that? Can you give us? Like the premise or like, what's the kind of Well it's.
Speaker 2: Really an updating of the original film, but now it takes an a gentrified Ford Green, gentrified for Green.
Speaker 1: So is there Mars black Men and the Noble Darling?
Speaker 2: Yes, marsh Blackness Now Black and Puerto Rican. It's played by the Great Triple Threat Anthony Raymonds from Used to Have Oh, Hamilton Black, Hamilton, Hamilton.
Speaker 5: I know the dude from Hamilton is on Blackish.
Speaker 1: Boy, that's that one day I'll take you.
Speaker 5: I'm not I've never been to see Hamilton, sir. I'm not that rich. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 10: You know the producer of it, I always told not Hamilton yet. Hamilton's before for twenty years. Mars Blacks now a week wad black and Puerto Rican?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 6: Oh well this last one Red Hook Summer Nola Darlings. Uh, I was like sad to see. I was like, damn, Like she really just is the church lady that's like life? It was so that was based on a real.
Speaker 1: Character or she that's strange Camelo John's real life.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, she's a pentecost preacher.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wow.
Speaker 5: Wow see your picture? Want you?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: She changed her life?
Speaker 2: So she left music, left movies and found the lord. Wow, where do you go?
Speaker 1: The only reason I consented to do this is because I wish to clear my nyme.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's it, that's what we brought that back.
Speaker 6: Oh so Tracey, he's in the in the cameo, Okay, that's dope, Bill. Anything you got left, I think, oh miracle, you got a questions. But okay, I want to go back to twenty fifth hour with the nightclub scene with Bra. Yeah, did you choose the song? I choose all the music and mine. Did you choose it before you shot it or did it come afterwards?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Bra is one of one of those songs where I knew you know it okay because you said somewhere like.
Speaker 1: That is just so. It was so working.
Speaker 2: Who was on the cipher right was the.
Speaker 3: Yea?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mixed up like that's comedian extraordinary, that's what I've heard. Yeah, he's in the comedy.
Speaker 2: Rosario was dancing.
Speaker 1: She was mad at me, Yes, she was. You know, we weren't. Okay, I'm done, I have.
Speaker 2: But the first first time my stres are was film Kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 5: It's like show she hate me. I'm going to start by saying.
Speaker 3: Before Carrie Washington and Diana Ramirez, I too enjoyed that situation, Anthony, Yes, any regrets. I always thought it was interesting that so manysbians wanted to have sex with one man.
Speaker 5: It was lesbians.
Speaker 1: She feels like it was your uh midlife crisis film, and that was your Porsche.
Speaker 5: Is that's true?
Speaker 6: That's exactly how I feel it was properly make mo Like that's when I was like, oh damn, Carrie, what's what's it for?
Speaker 1: Like that was not Carrie Washington from say The Last Dance, not at all.
Speaker 2: So that it was a film we want to do at the time what people think? What I really liked about that film as well? We had the Tewetai character.
Speaker 1: Yes, was he the guard? Was the guard?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Frank.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing though, if you watch CNN with this whole stuff happened with the White House, all these guys are half dead. They're talking about Watergate and John Dino's motherfuckers. They never talk about Frank Wells. It was this guy, this brother. If he didn't cast those crooks, the whole War Day thing would never happen.
Speaker 1: And he's dead.
Speaker 2: He died painless, and every time they talk about Watergate, they never mentioned his brother, Frank Wells. But look, I'm not ashamedly. Here's the thing though, I say this all the time, all the films I've done. The only thing I ever regret because the only thing I regret was the rape scene, and she because that was immature and made light of such a horrible act that one can do another human being. That is the only thing every.
Speaker 6: That's interesting because I remember we watched that in a class in college, and I remember we watched it and it was it was mixed crowd, it was men and women, and the teacher, our professor, came up and she was like, after we were discussing, she's like, so, what do you think about the rape scene?
Speaker 1: And like half the.
Speaker 6: Class was like, huh, like that was a rare rape, right, yeah, Like it's just odd. Just I mean, you say that you regret it, like because I didn't read it that way.
Speaker 5: When I first know, I was trying to think I was I can't even remember it to be when I.
Speaker 1: First eighteen, I just thought it was in passion love scene. And then when I started reading more and stuff than I realized like, oh, that's supposed to be a rape scene. Yeah. I read the screenplay first before I saw the movie, and I knew.
Speaker 5: So there's no regrets about she taking them none.
Speaker 2: So none.
Speaker 6: What about like specific shots of the specific shots you wish you could shoot over?
Speaker 1: You guys are kind of stepping the mart Wait, can I just ask ask Steve, do you have anything? Yes, mister Lee, what what can I as a white person if you make your films nothing.
Speaker 2: Supreme?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: That was one of Malcolm's regrets that he told that, yes, the white coch student, that.
Speaker 1: I watched your extras, heady told her nothing, that is the one you're you're extras?
Speaker 5: What did he I didn't see the extras? What did he wished he would have said.
Speaker 2: Go back and talk to your people.
Speaker 3: There you go, Steve, Yeah, I told her white girlfriend who is starting to date black dudes, you can't do that if you ain't seen those spike Ly movies.
Speaker 5: That's the way I'm because tributing.
Speaker 1: You can see the collective? All right, so Spike Spike Thriller? Yes or no?
Speaker 2: Are you going to It's not up to me, it's up to the state.
Speaker 1: Was the estate happy with Bad They love it very much. Was the state happy with Off the Wall? Yes? So you gotta wait for Have you had a conversation yet or it hasn't come up yet.
Speaker 2: Well, we had conversations, but they're not I don't think they got other stuff they're doing before they get to Thriller.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what's What's what else? What else is it? Michael Jackson's arsenal that coming out on film?
Speaker 2: If you listen to me, I got some TV shows stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, nice, I mean asking Spike Lee if he's going to direct the Thriller documentary.
Speaker 2: I want to because I would if I was able to, if I was blessed to get to do trilogy. I'm dumb because I mean to do to do Thrilled, That'd be a trilogy for me. Trilogy. I'm done. That's someone else dangerous past. I'll be happy to pass the baton on.
Speaker 1: But Dangerous is a New jack classic in my eyes. No, I mean, I'm just saying that would be the only one that was to do it because he did the video for Remember the Time. Actually, yeah, yeah, it's actually three parts. Okay, this is kind of my rapid fire. Okay, now I'm gonna just running. Can you name me three directors uh that came under the leaves of your tree or or your family tree, that you've enjoyed their work. Three African American directors that you've.
Speaker 2: Malcolm Lee, Ernest Dickison, Uh, d Rees you said, Pariah she was she was my student.
Speaker 1: Well, n Yu those three now, uh, three acting students or three first timers that didn't have any history and films that have now blossomed to actors, Like who's your You're, You're, you're, you're, you're starting three squad, like the three students that you're proud of in the acting.
Speaker 2: World, Like I didn't teach acting, well not acting.
Speaker 1: But you know that you that you gave the first film that are now like, hey, like a halle Berry I was first.
Speaker 2: That wasn't I mean halle Berry Rosie. Uh, but that you Thiev was Queen Lativa's first film.
Speaker 1: So it's just the black and.
Speaker 2: Remember that lie.
Speaker 1: So those three you're the proudest of that they Okay, now the same question but for crew, because I know that besides Earnie Dickerson maliks I, I didn't imagine all the cematographers and editors.
Speaker 2: Maliks started as electric. I'm Malcolm X and now one of the best dps, Ellen Curis, who shot Summer sam Full Little Girls Bamboozled. Uh, my newest DP, a gentleman named Daniel Patterson morehouse Man. Also, what was my student, n y you who shot up all the episodes for She's Got to Have It?
Speaker 1: Who who? Side question yes, even side questions to my final question, you've been your longest ally employee that's been with you since. Has there been someone that's been there since the beginning like your editor or your costume designer or your craft services?
Speaker 2: Right, I mean they're people that I work with, but there has been like every single film, so you know a lot of times when I'm shooting something, they have another film.
Speaker 1: So okay, what what three actors have you yet to work with that you were like, I.
Speaker 2: Want Sean penn is one?
Speaker 1: Wow, dam have more together? I would see I could have seen Shan penn in twenty fifth Hour as well.
Speaker 2: Sean Penn.
Speaker 1: Uh ever worked with no never?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: You know, will you ever work with DeNiro? Hopefully?
Speaker 2: You know who's potentially be a great actress Solange?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 5: I think I see that.
Speaker 2: He wants to act, and that's another thing, but I think that a great potential.
Speaker 5: Uh, Morgan Freeman. Ain't getting no.
Speaker 2: Nothing against Moran, It's.
Speaker 5: Just funny guys like who has he not just been around?
Speaker 1: You haven't worked with Morgan Freeman?
Speaker 2: That did not happen, but work with.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying to be a black actor.
Speaker 3: No, that was just it was just a random legendary black actor that I was like, Oh, that's the one that he works a lot.
Speaker 2: But you said that, I mean I liked I was too young, but I wish I could have worked with Paul Newman. Ah that film, Uh cool hand Lucas. Yeah, yeah that's nice.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yes, yes, I'm sorry. Did you ask that because it was a white film?
Speaker 2: His head.
Speaker 1: Like, Paul, my head is that was like forty eggs, right eggs? Yeah? Okay. So I don't know if directors can divide their scenes like their songs from an album whatever. But in your arsenal, what do you feel are your three most important scenes? Okay, your three most important scenes? Like, I'm more than three, you gotta get me three guns your head, three, I'm burning all your other world. We know his house is burning.
Speaker 2: I would say Mookie throwing a garbage the window. Absolutely assassination Malcolm Max and uh that scene in twenty four Hour Edwin Norton's talking into the mirror.
Speaker 1: M okay, tricky. I thought the uh, I could swear your number one would have been the Times Mahon scene. Oh, Oh yeah, you said only three though, Okay, but the fact that that wasn't even your got it? I mean, okay, No, I'll think those three again, the expanded version that that was your songs. You're you're the three albums and three albums, the three films that when you're gone and mind if we look at your cannon, what are the three films that you want representing your work? Wow?
Speaker 5: For me, that's that's it, ain't nothing.
Speaker 1: It's like picking kids. Pick your three favorite kids. You have twenties choice.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, though, you you say you love all your children the same. We might like them tell about darkness, but I would just say I've done so many films that I leave it up to I'm telling you, I can't pick three guns to.
Speaker 1: Your head, man, I can't pick three guns to your head, House on fire, I can't pick three universal house burning all the reels. You can't pick three. Okay, Well, what's the opposite. That's the opposite. You gotta kill you three? You gotta kill three with three films? With three films, do you kind of wish? I'm cool if nobody sees that.
Speaker 2: As I said before, the only thing I wish I could do over the rape scene, and she's gonna have it. Because everything I've done, for good or bad, is the experience that helps me what the next film is. So that's that's the way it is, is learning how to hone your skills. You know, good, bad, and different. Every time out you learn something new, different circumstances, and if you're smart, the lessons that you learn, you'll apply that to the next film.
Speaker 6: He's not gonna answer your question, what is the most overlooked Spike Lee film in your opinion? I got a lot of those, like the one you think that most people really should see.
Speaker 1: Or see again.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think people saw Miracle sa. I don't think people saw bamboozo Here's the thing, though, there's two there's two categories. How do people to see when it came out versus people discovered, you know later on so Bamboozle goals in.
Speaker 1: That character where people discovered it discovered it. Miracle is Saint Ana? What was there? Was a novel it was based on James McBride.
Speaker 6: I almost wrote The Color Water, almost entered the casting call for extras for that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh for real. I had a homie that was in that he was. He was one of the interesting did he go overseas? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Thereak no uh Ron he ain't gonna remember the name, but uh not Turanron something I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 5: It's embarrassing you called.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had to cast these these guys to play the uh the Buffalo soldiers, but none of them had passports.
Speaker 1: We had to go to Italy's scrambling, you know, to get to get the past. That's why I didn't.
Speaker 2: Sing all about it.
Speaker 3: It's at the top of our list now for requirements. He must have a passport.
Speaker 1: I got it. Yeah, he was telling me that was real.
Speaker 6: He was like yo, like he's like, man, we had the cannons was going off, and he was like it was real, Like there was really like in comebat and he's ad for Like when he came back it took he like he kind of had PTSD after the shoot, Like it was like he was going to sleep and he couldn't.
Speaker 1: You know, He's still be hearing the ship going off. It was crazy. Okay, this is my final, my final, final, final question. It's two parts. Spike the episode absolutely no. First of all, I appreciate you for doing this.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I been amazing man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, macaroons for you, so that's well.
Speaker 1: I brought it for everybody. But appreciate the ship because we is he talking ba people don't eat macaroons. We don't you want that on there? Five million people don't offer no person ed? Okay anyway, Spike, Uh, there's a game that we play on the show. Yes, which one? This is your final question of Spike from his four million dollars? Can you please tell me what's the original sample of this song? Inside joke, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Spike Lee. We're coming on Quest Love Supreames, take a load sugar, Steve Boston, Bill, unpaid Bill and Lie.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is Quest Love signing off Spike Leeve. Thank you so much for answering on my question.
Speaker 5: Appreciate doctor now sorry that was my.
Speaker 1: Last man, I'm sorry last words.
Speaker 2: Teacher he's a teacher.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 2: Sorry anyway, Harry, Yes, anyway till next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we're still here, Yes, and macaroons for everybody. Don't listen. This is Quest Love signing off Only on Pandora. This is a Quest Love Supreme. You see all that show round.
Speaker 7: Thank you, yo yo yo I'm gone with the wind because it is sapapa love the fitness.
Speaker 6: When the ship hits the fan, I got my shake, give him my hand, black man with the permanent ten.
Speaker 1: I'll come from the building that.
Speaker 5: For rand Damn, I'm feeling the love the part of reality.
Speaker 1: It me one not represent the f.
Speaker 9: Ap straight from the Bill Hill, then't play the building.
Speaker 2: I mean they're releague or nothing.
Speaker 9: Y'all make a killing for a like see I'm fitting in the bus to pipe original head strip to chet the brook Man all night.
Speaker 2: Who would die? I'm saying this shot. Will I bring your clicks.
Speaker 5: That we can get stone like family slid. We need to see ya in the bush, Mighty Maxine, Rock.
Speaker 1: In the rock, Given the Bush quest Love Supreme. It's a production iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the Ihart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.