Speaker 1: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a fried egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Friday Egg, Friday Frida Egg Egg, Frida Egg, Bride Egg Lie.
Speaker 1: I'm about ready to run.
Speaker 2: Off of the course. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today we are joined by Internet national sensation Patrick Newcomb. Patrick is one of the few golfers to win on two continents this year. He just finished up this season on the Mackenzie Tour, which is the Canadian Tour. He finished the fourth on the money list and that earned him as web dot Com card. Earlier in the year, he was playing on the Latin American Tour or the Narcos Tour. Patrick, welcome on, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you're out in Portugal for this the Portugal Masters on the euro Tour.
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah.
Speaker 3: This this week I got a sponsored by the first one I've ever got, and I couldn't even get one in Latin America or Canada when I was writing for him, when I had conditional status and so it's it's cool to be able to show up and I have to Bundy qualifi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it like playing for like eight x money, or it might even be more of the money, more money, like for the first time.
Speaker 1: No, it's nice. Yeah, I think it's two million euro first this week. So that's that's a lot more.
Speaker 3: Than me me playing crazy good and shooting nineteen like I having Canada and win thirty k.
Speaker 2: So it's uh, it's it's good. I mean you deserve it. You have three wins this year and uh in a couple of different places, I mean a lot of great golf. And I think you've you've risen in some internet fame. Uh. You know, we saw you you win one time and it was like whoa, this guy's got this bucket hat on, and then he kept popping up, winning more and more. So I'm curious how, how and when did the bucket hat you know, revolution start.
Speaker 1: It started in Springfield, Missouri on Monday in a web event.
Speaker 3: My brother always had this big bucket hat and he was like, I want to wear shricks on.
Speaker 1: He's a he was a Nike guy when he was playing, so he just had a Nike one.
Speaker 3: So I got him of shrickx on bucket had out of the van and he was wearing it and I was like, that looks pretty nice. Like I've been trying to get more, thinking about get more for practice, and I wore it when I was practicing and it felt pretty good. And then you know, I went out and I wore an Argentina talking to my buddy like, I think I'm where the bucket hat is, but he's like, dude, you can't wear that out here. And I was like, I think I'm aware it and I shot sixty six, I think, and it just kind of stuck.
Speaker 2: After that.
Speaker 1: It was everybody was like that bucket hat looks bad on everybody, but it looks good on you, Pat, And I was like, I don't really know how to take that, but I guess I'll take it as a compliment.
Speaker 2: I've got a bucket hat, and that's the exact thing my buddy says, dude, you can't wear that bucket hat. I wore it recently because of my wedding to keep the sun off me. But I'm curious, does your bucket hat have one of those like little strings that go down?
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: I couldn't. I couldn't do it with that. It would be dangling when I'm hitting and stuff. I couldn't deal with that. Yeah, that's just this straight up. I gotta figure out what to do with mine, because it's got like that string. I sometimes I put it behind my head. Sometimes I put it in the hat, but I'm thinking about just cutting it off. But then do you ever run into problems with the wind? And it so? So mine fit me really, but I guess my head just fits universal bucket hats really well. I don't know, but it doesn't ever and it'll like flip up, but it doesn't ever barely doesn't fly off. A normal hat flies off more than a bucket hat does, so I don't know why, but.
Speaker 1: I guess it's just just perfect.
Speaker 2: You're you're born for the bucket.
Speaker 1: I guess that's what it did. I guess that's what it's telling me that I was. I was born to where the bucket had.
Speaker 3: And and then the buck head on top of the pleated pants is just pretty much takes the keg.
Speaker 2: So you know, like all things like you know, cargo shorts I guess are like back in style now and they were out everything's coming back, so you know, please probably are going to come back, So you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess we'll see. I don't know everybody. Everybody. Everybody's like, pet, you gotta get some real clothes, man, those aren't real.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've you've made some money now, so you can you can afford to invest, allocate some capital to the to the clothes, or or we gotta get you a close sponsor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'd be that'd be the first thing I need as a close sponsor, because even living the life that I'm living, like this trip over here in the porchical was just I just couldn't wrap my head around his money I was spending to get over here to play. But this week I'm playing for way more money than I've ever played for. So it's I guess it's a double edged sword there.
Speaker 2: So this week you're you know, you got the the bucket hat. You're gonna be rocking the bucket hat with arguably you know, this era's most famed no hat player, Robert Rock Who's who's just got mad flow game. You know it's gonna be a pretty stark contrast.
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah, I actually I actually don't have the bucket hat. This week.
Speaker 3: I actually left it at an event. I've actually been naked with the bucket hat for a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Now. I need to I need to get on the semi one. I have some at home.
Speaker 3: As soon as this week's over, it'll be it'll be back in play. But I listened at host family's house in Calgary, but it'll be. It'll be interesting to play with the flow game. Can't I can't keep up with that. It's his flow game has been. It has been really nice for a long time. And he and he plays in Europe, so with the wind, it just it's just like it's perfection out there.
Speaker 1: I just I can't. I don't think I can keep up with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's pretty amazing. I Yeah, Robert Rock, the flow hasn't deteriorated with age at all, Like there is no receding hairline there with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was walking on the range on Tuesday to hit like five balls maybe and before I went out, because I'd slept like three hours on all the flights out of London the Tour Championship to get London Ontario, to get all the way over here and then flew to London and then flew all the way down here and we're walking on the range. First guy I see on the range that I actually recognize if I meage my buddy, I'm like the flow game, the flow game, literally said the flow game.
Speaker 3: And he looks over and started dying laughing, And it was Robert Roth just hitting balls. And then of course I get paired with him right after, like I get the pairings come out, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the next day I'm paired. So it's it's just really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think there's a lot to be said about having like a trademark. Look Like, I think like basketball players make so much money because they're the most marketable because you can see their whole face. Fans are on top of them. But with golf, like you know, outside of the big superstars, the big top ten, like you remember guys because of like specific things and you know it can't be contrived, Like the bucket hat just happened, you know, so yours is the bucket hat. But like rock as the flow obviously you know there, So there there's a there's definitely a marketability factor, and it's good for fans because, like you know, fans recognize those types of things, like the casual fans easy for them to pick up on. So I you mentioned your brother used to play. You know, I'm curious, how did you get into How did you get into golf? I saw that you grew up in Kentuentucky, and just like, how did you get started with the game?
Speaker 3: I had a club in my hand when I was Both my parents played lots of golf. My dad picked up the game at like twenty six and was a scratch handicap by the time he was thirty. So he was just just really picked up on it fast and was became a really good player.
Speaker 1: And a real natural player, like hadn't taken a lot of lessons, had a crazy swing, like a big hop in his swing, and all kinds of crazy stuff. He used to make funning, but he use to beat everybody, and so I just had he chopped down little clubs.
Speaker 3: When I was real little, I'd play in the sand if I wanted to play in the sand, you know, bookers and whatnot. And you know, it was just I was always around it, and he never really forced us into it. He just said if I ever really wanted to start playing, though, just like any other sport. He was like, I don't want you to take it serious, Like I mean, if we're going to spend the money, if you go.
Speaker 1: Play these tournaments, I don't mind it, but you're gonna take it serious and do what you're supposed to, you know. So it was like it was a little bit more intense then. You know, kids just go play in all these tournaments and visit their buddies. He was like, you're there to play. Well, that's kind of how he's always been so and that's I've kind of had that with me my whole life, and so I've been around the game my whole life pretty much. Hm.
Speaker 2: That's that's cool in terms of since you know, no nobody listening to this has probably gone to a Canadian tour or a Latin American Tour event. But that is something I do want to go cover a Latin American tour that sometimes I think it's a it's a missing frontier of golf media.
Speaker 1: What yeah, I guess I guess you could say that tell us about your style playing, like what's your game?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, is it you know, you know, if you were gonna compare yourself, I don't know, just break down your game.
Speaker 1: I hit it really straight.
Speaker 3: People people say, you know, well, there's all kinds of you know, people say, well, this guy hits it really straight.
Speaker 1: My buddy was telling me the other day. He was explaining to his uncle when we were in Ottawa, my buddy of Caddy's for me.
Speaker 3: His uncle's from Ottawa, and he was like, what's his game like?
Speaker 1: And he's like, it's hard to explain. Just hits it really straight. Like I don't really understand how to say it. He just hits it straight. And you know, he was just saying, like his uncle was saying, I don't even know what that means, like, you know, lots of guys hit straight.
Speaker 3: And then he got up and he was I was hitting balls at his course one day off and I was hitting him and.
Speaker 1: He just looked over him. He goes, you're right, It's just he just hits it straight. The ball doesn't curve at all, Like every shot just kind of just is dance straight like that's kind of how he plays. And so I'm just I hit it really straight. I have a lot of control on my wall and I'm a street key potter. So if if puttstuck going in I hit a lot of greens. I hit a lot of fairways and a lot of greens. And you know, if putt stuck go one in. That's if you're hitting the fairway in the green on every hole one stone, making some putts, you know, that usually adds up to some pretty low scores.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean it's when the putter gets hot. I'm not anywhere near your your level of play. I'm I'm a good ball striker, though, and when the putter gets hot is so much more fun. Something I kind of believe in. And now in today's era of golf, is that kind of great ball striking, like in good ball strikers is a prerequisite, And it seems like it having won a couple of times and being in contention a lot, is it is it really?
Speaker 4: Does it really come down to the putter most weeks? And you know who makes a couple of extra putts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it does. I like to play courses that that separate, it separates players to hit it well. And in Canada, the thing about Canada's courts are good down there, good up there, and the players well. But I hit a ton of drivers, so I hit a ton of drivers, even on really tight holes. That's a strength of mind.
Speaker 3: So I take advantage of that, and I'm hitting a lot shorter clubs end and a lot of guys, you know, because guys are hitting three lens of hybrids, shorter bunkers or in the to stay out the tightest areas, and I just hit driver on.
Speaker 1: Every hole just to hit it. I hit it up in the tidy areas, I'm not worried about it, and I hit short clubs. So for me, I think at the at the next level, essentially from everyone I've talked to that the weeks you make putts, that's the week she win. But I think there's a lot to be said about that, because you know, there's a lot of guys that you know, have strike the ball very rarely do guys strike the ball poorly and when on tour. So I think it's I think it's more to be said about how well you hit it from the fairlight more than it is about making putts, because if you're hitting it to thirty feet on every hole, statistically, you're just not gonna have a chance to win. So I think it's I think it's more about the approach. Tiger was the greatest there ever was it at approximity to hold you know, on his approach shots he played his career, wouldn't even hit the fairways. He was hardly hitting any fairways and you know, was still winning golf to him because he was stillhitting it to twelve feet in the rough. You know, So I think I think it's I think the big biggest part of the game in winning is the second shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had the UFC assistant coach and like last year, and that's something he said, is that the skill they, you know, really work on to try and develop guys for the next level is the approach and I mean shorter birdie plus you're gonna make more of in terms of, you know, kind of preparing for the next level. Obviously this week you've got you know, the European Tours, the second best tour in the in the world. What where do you think you need to do the most work with Is it the wedges and putting or is it you know, where do you see kind of the taking the next steps and continuing to improve.
Speaker 1: The wedges have been have been a question mark for me, which is it's funny there for a while I can hit a seven iron cluss and I can hit a wedge and stretches, which didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: At all, but but that's kind of that's kind of my game. I hit a lot of mid irons close and and even longer clubs close and and I really revaent my wedges this year, and the wedges have gotten a lot better.
Speaker 1: So this week you're gonna hit a lot of short clubs and scores are gonna be well. Guys are gonna get a hold of this place from playing it.
Speaker 3: And so this week it's just about dialing in distances for me from all from anywhere from like one to seventy down to one hundred, which is.
Speaker 1: Pretty much every week for me. If those are dialed in as well as I drive it, I'm gonna have tons of bucks. And I'm gonna have one day where I roll in a bunch of pots one or two and I'll give me a chance to win on the back mound on Sunday, which is which is all I look for every time I tee it up.
Speaker 3: Is everyone's like, you know, I want to win the golf tournament. But it's not so much about winning the golf trim is getting the work done.
Speaker 1: You know the first sixty uh, you know, sixty three holes and when you tee off on ten on Sunday, you got a chance to win. You want be three back or what what whatnot, But you can't ask for much more than a chance to win on the back now Sunday. And so that's kind of my motto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's an aspect of golf that goes overlooked. Is just it's it's just the same way as making is getting birdy opportunities, and a bigger scale is getting winning opportunities. You know, you got to be in the mix because it's the ball is not gonna go your way every time, but if you're there a lot, you're gonna it's gonna happen more often. In terms of the wedge vamp, I'm always curious because one of the things I find interesting with golf is sometimes like what makes a great driver swing? You know, a great driver of the golf ball can be counteractive to a great wedge player. Is it? Is it something you did technique wise to kind of kind of revamp the wedge game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brother had changed some stuff around in his wife's game and had smoken into a few people and kind of got I guess he could say he got his body out of the shot. Was took his legs and his and his upper body out the shot, and was pretty much just hitting web shots with his arms, which was more of a control. You can control the distance better, you can control a whole lot of different things. And I've always hit shots with my upper body and my arms were almost not existed. It was turn and turn, And that's so much harder to dial in a shot at eighty two yards or seventy five yards or sixty you know, sixty three yards weird numbers like that where you need to hit it within a yard or two and online and control the spin. It's that's it's a special art. Like that's why the most of the time, the guys that hit the ball the shortest off tee have the most have the least amount of rotation in their body and strength, so they have more control over the shorter shot if it's a you know, that's that's how it hit their normal shots. So that's kind of what we did. We kind of took my body out of the hit and we were kind of hitting with my arms and really got my arms swinging freer and not not swinging with my body, and you know, I started doing that and we just you know, wedges started coming off good spin was the same every time, and it really changed everything for me. Actually I switched, Actually I wanted Honduras, but I hit seven irons in every green in Honduras. It was it was the craziest thing. But but after that, you know, that's what's helped me play so well in consistent Canada and have a chance a lot because you know, I still make plenty of birdies with seven six five six seven irons that most people don't. And then I have a lot of good looks for with wedges, and it's just been it's just been really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A good recipe for golf is drive it well and wedge it well and put it travel as well in terms of so you see it with like international players that come on the PGA Tour, like perfect examples, like a Seawou camp. But you're doing the same thing as an American now right now in Portugal, and then you know, in the spring in Latin America, what's it like and how much tougher is it to play golf in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, and you know, you're kind of traveling there. You're you're unaware of the culture, the surroundings. It's a new style of golf, Like how much you know? How difficult is that? And was there a big transition period.
Speaker 1: So over here?
Speaker 3: No, The best thing that I ever did happened to me in my career is I went to South Africa my second.
Speaker 1: Year as a pro and I went to Q School and I got status on the Sunshine Tour. And with getting me that status, I was there five months straight. I got status. I was going to play the whole first half of the year till the summer and then I might fly back after the summer and finish up. And I was there.
Speaker 3: I flew over, flew over in January, and I came back. I came back in late May, early June. I was it was about five months.
Speaker 1: And that was the best thing they ever happened to deal with being away with nobody. I went over there with nobody. I just went over there and uh and just figured it out. And doing that, I think that just made everything easier. So when I went to Latin America, it's annoying not speaking the language, but it wasn't a big deal for me. It was just I would just had I just knew how to get around, and so it makes a big difference. So I think, you know, really for anybody to go away into play in another country, it makes it so much easier, makes you so much more comfortable. Like when I was playing in Canada, it was like a breeze. It was like life was easy. It was it was like the craziest thing.
Speaker 3: It it's more difficult with with the language barrier and the cultures, but it's it's it's.
Speaker 1: When it carries over into your game and you're just like annoyed the whole time you're there. You just can't when you step away from all that stuff and you step on the course, it's like saying, that's the way I kind of look at it. It's like I don't have to deal with anything. I just deal with you know, hitting this white ball that I do all the time and getting in the hole. So that's kind of that's the kind of way I approach it, which makes it makes it a lot easier. It's like I'm excited to get to the course so and get away from all this nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's on the golf course and none of that stuff matters. It's interesting. I imagine that the experience right out of college really you know, second years and in South Africa, it forced you to grow up. And I think one of the more underrated aspects of professional golf is learning to be an adult at age twenty three, travel and be alone. So, you know, how how was that adjustment period being in a foreign country for for five months alone? Like, you know, what would you do?
Speaker 1: And it was it was a pretty good setup. When I was in Johannesburg where I was staying, I wasn't far from the course, and you know, there's a couple of restaurants that I'd gone to like my first week there that and I kind of just kind of stayed in my little bubble in Johannesburg. But like going into like Zimbabwe and Zambia, I've seen all that. It's just it's just crazy. It's crazy to.
Speaker 3: See those cultures and experience those things, and and there's really eye opening and it was it made me appreciate what I had so much more.
Speaker 1: It was funny. I was on the plane back walking on the plane and people had to just hate me because I was just I literally was about to be on the plane. I was so happy. I was so happy. I was just like I just I was just started channing USA walking onto.
Speaker 3: The plane when I was about to fly out of Johannesburg, and then when I was I ended in London, I had a layover, and then even in London, I was like, this is not this isn't what I like, this is not home.
Speaker 1: I don't know what this is, but it's not like one. And I started chanting it again on getting on the plane again in London, like walking like after I got my ticket, walking down to the tarmac, like I was like like I was like, this is I cannot wait. I can't wait when these ten hours were over, and like it's going to be the most amazing thing in the world. And I was just so happy when I got back in the States and just you just couldn't even imagine. That's that's what made me, you know, appreciate what I had at home and you know, just just everything life. I was so much more appreciative about life and just everything that I was doing, you know, getting to come home and even being in Latin America.
Speaker 3: If I go for three weeks I know I'm coming home, so I'm even it's even easier like when I was going for five months.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a long time to be in a place where there's some beautiful things, where there was a lot of terrible things going on over there, and it was for me, it was amazing to experience those things. And you know, and hopefully my career keeps going and I only have to experience those things and small doses from now on, not not in large doses like I did before.
Speaker 2: Where you'll have like an end date unless you know, if you go out and win on the euro Tour this week, that would be a good problem, right, because then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be a great problem.
Speaker 3: And they and they go to the nicest places, like the European Tour events that were in South Africa were at the nicest courses I played the whole time I was there, So it was like, you know, they they go in and it's it's for royal treatment, and it's every it's super nice everywhere they go, and you know, it's not it's not like the Sunshine Tour and it's not like Latin America, and uh, you know, Canada was an amazing experience but if everything's always always amazing when you're playing though, and then any golfer knows that you always like the golf course. You go play some breaking DNK Muni that's in terrible shape, and you go out and she's sixty seventy, like I like that place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but if you you know, it's you can go play a perfect golf court shoot and you're like, oh that place, wasn't that nice out there, Like it wasn't that good. That's just that's just golfer's nature, I feel like. So, so you know that that was with Canada. It was it was funny. I was playing well, but it was so I was like I was always happy the whole time I was up there, but uh, but it was nice to get home and and this week, you know, I guess it's just hopefully I get hot and play well, and then we moved forward. I mean it's from week to week. I've been week to week for about twenty weeks now, because I didn't expect to stay up in Canada as long as I did.
Speaker 2: So with the Sunshine Tour and going to places.
Speaker 4: Like Zambias and Babe like, and you're traveling with your golf clubs.
Speaker 2: Did you not have a caddy at the time?
Speaker 1: No, No, I just picked up a local jock every time.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the between Latin America and UH and so you know, Southern Africa? What who had the better caddies? And you know who's the most memorable looper? You had?
Speaker 1: Most memorable? I got a few. I got the guy that I won with in Honduras this year. Carlos is one of the funniest guys I've ever met, because he literally he thought I was hilarious because we'd walk there was these promo girls and we would walk past him, and every time he would like, go get a drink or whatnot, and I'd like nudge him. I'd be like, let's you get in there, like go talk to her all this stuff, and he just thought that was He barely spoke any English. He just thought that was so funny. So one time he thought that I, like, nugget, was like, don't talk to her, and he no, no, no, no, And then he went and talk to her. And then he came back and handed me a phone number and he goes, it's her phone number. You wanted her phone number? I said, no, no, no, no, I said it for you. So from then on, every person, every time we went past the ten, he would go talk to him and get a phone number, and go talk to him and get a phone number, and it was the funniest thing ever. That's probably my favorite one.
Speaker 3: And he that was the first year I was in Honduras, and then he cadded from me again this year in Honduras and he.
Speaker 1: It was funny because we won and he was like he's been sending me messages every week like let me come caddy for you and all this stuff. But Carlos, yeah, Carlos Coast was funny. And he was also the only one that didn't ask for a big tip after the week was over, the only one of all the places that we went to.
Speaker 2: So do you got do you get a bigger tip? Because of that? Always? Yeah, that's always. It's an amazing thing. If you don't ask for something, it usually it works out better. In terms of the numbers, I mean, did you did you call any of them? Uh? Huh?
Speaker 3: Now, I chatted with one of them during the week of But it's like the it's like crazy because we're on this resort and then all these people that are working. You're getting bussed in from like miles and miles away to work and then they bust in early in the morning and then they stayed at the end and then they get bushed out. So it's uh, it's just the the culture and everything. And that was definitely wasn't gonna about to get take like a forty five minute bus ride in the middle of nowhere in Honduras.
Speaker 1: To go to go see. I've I teetered on the on the edge of bad experiences in South Africa, and I wasn't gonna do that again in Latin America.
Speaker 4: So yeah, in terms of like the diceiest travel situation you've been in with like you know, your your clubs or you know, is there any time where you were like whoa, Like what the fuck am I doing?
Speaker 1: So I I was, I I met this girl in Nicaragua. This is this isn't a good story. This will be good. I've only told my buddies this, but I missed the cut Nicaragua and this is, this is, this is this is one of the this is one of the better stories. And this and I went to watch my buddy tea off and uh, and I was, I was sitting there and I practiced that morning, and that afternoon I was just having a couple of drinks because I couldn't change my flight We're going to the next week, so I just I went to go watch my buddy te off. I was gonna watch and walk a couple of holes and this girl was working this tent and I had to drink it and we started chatting a little bit and then she was like, you know, you're from America. We chatted whatever. I walked away, and then the next day I came back to watch my buddy come through there and she was there and she goes what, She goes, what are you leaving all this stuff? She's like, you should come come with us, me and my friends. You should be your friends should come. So I was like, okay, i'll go. My buddy had to play the next day and he's like, I can't go. So I was like, all right, whatever, I'll go. I don't have anything to do. So we pulled Nicaragua. We were literally on a resort in like a weird place in Nicaragua where it was like really out on the ocean, like exclusive, you know, really secluded, And so we're driving out and I think we're going to take a right the way we came in on our shuttle. We take a left and like and we take a left and the road ends and it's like a like a gravel road kind of thing, and it's like a road but it's not really a road, and there's no lights, and I'm just like thinking. I'm literally like we're driving and I'm think, well, something's gonna come up soon. And we get about like five miles like off, like down, I'm like, I'm like, well, pet, you made a bad decision and you're about to pay for it. Like, you made a poor decision and you're.
Speaker 2: About to pay for it.
Speaker 1: You can't really get mad's you really can't even get mad. You know, you made a decision that you should never have made to leave the resort, and you're about to pay for it. It's bad things you're about to happen. I don't know what it's gonna happen, but bad things you're about to happen. And I was like, you know, I'm like, okay, stay calm, like you're fine. Like I was like looking around, I was asking a bunch of questions like are you okay. I'm like, yeah, whatever, And it's so funny. As soon as I'm asking, like, guys, I think I need to go back to the resort, like you guys can, like you guys might drop me off back at the resort, and we pull up on this beach and it's just like this amazing view and this like nice restaurant and like just like this super like nice place. And it was just funny because they were the people I was with, was just laughing at me. They were just like, you thought we were gonna kidnap.
Speaker 2: You didn't.
Speaker 1: I was like I thought something really poor was about to happen, to be honest, and but yeah, it was fine. We end up walking coming out on this beach and having dinner and it was it was fine, but it was Uh, that was probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been in any situation for about a ten minute stretch.
Speaker 2: So did you go back to the resort that night?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, I did. Yes. As soon as dinner was over when I went back to the resort, I was ready to get back to the resort. And uh, and I haven't done anything like that since that was that was a good lesson lesson learned.
Speaker 2: I think you should have doubled down there.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe maybe a younger pet would have doubled down, but but that was that was a pretty that will that will always be to my memory for sure.
Speaker 4: So having played on both the McKenzie tour and the Narcos Tour, in terms of like the experience like of each, like how would how would you kind of compare the vibe and and the guys not on each and and just the overall like what what did you like and what did you not like about each experience?
Speaker 1: The best thing about the Narco story, which I think is funny that you call it that, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Best thing about Tron Carter no laying up guys creations, I can't take full credit for it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, so we The best thing about that is because you're in these places where there's a language barrier, and the Latin guys all have their crew and they're super and that their culture is super friendly, so they joke around with everybody and all of that. So the with that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, those guys are awesome too, because I've met a bunch of women and you know, and you know, a bunch of them think I'm a crazy guy, and all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: With, you know, because of token stories like that and you know other things, and and so those those guys, that culture is great and they you know, they know like the ins and outs, and but the Americans that are down there, you're it's kind of like a brotherhood like kind of together because you're kind of secluded of the culture and you know, you don't speak the language that well, and you know, you're all kind of getting together to get an Airbnb and like you're like, hey, where'd you stay last year? Was that safe?
Speaker 3: You know, all this stuff, and it's just like a it's like more everyone looking out for each other. Down in the narcoch Tour and the McKinsey Tour. Everybody it's just like playing a mini tour event and it's not you know, everybody's not there's a much nice guys out there.
Speaker 1: Guys are nice, but it's.
Speaker 3: Not as tight as as a Latin Like I love the Latin Tour. I love playing down in Latin America because it's just everybody's so tight and it's just a great experience and you know, guys are guys are fun, and you know, you can experience a lot more things.
Speaker 1: Kid, it was more it was more like business like. It's actually felt more even like even in the web events I played, it felt more like a tour event down in Canada with just the culture like the PGA tour.
Speaker 3: It's not really like buddy buddy. It's like, you know, it's everyone has their own little click or their own little you know, they had their agent and you know all that stuff. That's kind of how it felt in Canada. More like everybody was you know, did their own thing. You know, everybody was nice and passing and practice.
Speaker 1: But Latin was you know, it's like a brotherhood.
Speaker 3: It's like a good group of guys and and Canada felt more like super business business like and and you know, guys weren't as you know, friendly and weren't like working together like they like it was in Latin America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I imagine because there's a lot of guys down on the Latin America tour that that play that for like a that are from you know, South America and Latin America that play it for like their profession, like that's their thing, right.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. They don't go to the expensive weeks like you never see them in a week it's gonna cost them a lot of money to go play never see them there, Yeah, and so it's it's crazy to see that, you know. And then there's a lot of great players down there that play it on there every year and know all those courses and and stuff. And in Canada it seemed like it was a bunch of twenty two year olds, twenty one year twenty one, twenty three guys right.
Speaker 3: Out of college, hadn't did it, hadn't done you know, the travel and the professional lifestyle at all. And it was like it was like the I mean, it's important to play well, and it's important to work hard, but like my mentality is like if I'm happy and I'm excited to be there and I got a new crew with me, like I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna play a good most weeks.
Speaker 3: So you know, I've traveled the world and I've done a lot, and these, you know a lot of the younger kids that I met up there were just like it was like for dear life, like every every week mattered so much and every round mattaged so much. It just had a different feel than these, Like you said, these professionals down literally their profession was to play Latin America and finished you know, thirtieth on annualists to make money like for their family and like do the whole mine, you know, and everyone, you know, everyone up in Canada was really really driven to to just really get to the web that comfort. We're like, oh my, but I got so many buddies out there I've played against that they're already out there.
Speaker 1: I got to get there now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's almost like it's like the Canadian Tour is like an extension of college golf where it's it's so serious and it's you know, training, training, training, versus I mean the Latin America to where you're like, I mean, you're never going to go down to imagine an event and there's going to be like a gym nearby that you can go like pump weights and right after your round, I mean. And it's just such so much different in a vibe, and it's it's probably so helpful because it teaches you so much perspective. I think that that's what gets lost so much with you know, golfers, is a perspective of playing golf for a living, Like it's pretty damn awesome, especially if you can be successful at it.
Speaker 1: No, it's everybody it's uh. You know, I'll be saying, you know, I'll be talking about this or that, and I'll be bitching about something. I'm sure at some point, you know, and and you know, my body's like like, dude, like just let me let me, let's search you, let me let me come hang out and in Latin America and play golf and you can come sit in my desk job and uh.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, and I always say it. I'm like, I'm like, everything's relative, so you should always know that, Like you know, anyone you can be uncomfortable in you're setting. It it's relatively it's different than what it normally is. But I said, I said, I had the greatest job in the world. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I was like, it's all relative, you know, to to whatever whatever's going on. And I like, I said it to my buddy, Like was like, no, no, I'm still going to complain about something if I want to complain about it. Yeah, But but I mean, I have a great job in the world, which is which is nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it is sweet, gig. I complain a lot sometimes to my buddies about what I do now which is this and and write and stuff, And they're like, dude, are you kidding me? I'm like, well, like you know, there's but yeah, I love what I do way more than what I used to do. So it is all relative. So it where where? What was your what's it like in all of your travels? What's your favorite spot you've been? You know, whether it's in South Africa or South America, Canada. I mean, you're you're you're a h Your passport's got to be just littered.
Speaker 3: I gotta get new pages. I just looked like I could literally about to fly out here soon. I gotta make sure and check whatever the regulations are. But like I could literally about to fly out, and they be like, you can't fly out you don't have enough pages, because I know that's like a regulation and I'm getting very close to that. So actually after after I get home, like if I get a little stretch off, I'm gonna have to get some new pages my passport.
Speaker 1: Probably my best spot, my favorite spot, one of those one of the coolest plants to ever went was.
Speaker 3: It was the first turn that I went to was the Dimension Dad that was in fan Court, South Africa. It's still a background on my phone, and it was three courses there and it was just one of the most amazing places.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. I played terrible, No, That's why That's why I remember it's still being so amazing, because I didn't play good at I missed the cut, and I still remembered how awesome the place was. And that's never the case for me that that is probably my favorite place that I've been. But my favorite, probably my favorite golf course that I've been to is it was probably Ocean Forest in Sea Island, Georgia. That's probably my favorite track I've ever played. There are Cherry Hills in Colorado. So, but the place I've ever been was probably Fan Court, South Africa.
Speaker 2: That's that's cool. I want to get down to South Africa sometime. I mean, I think I'm years away from doing that. I got some other places I want to check out, like Australia. You should try and play in like that Australian Open. That'd be cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they ever get me a start, I'll be there. So that's that's kind of how it is.
Speaker 2: You are definitely, uh, you don't. I don't think anybody will dispute that you won't travel. I will travel is a very you know app So now now that you've got your card locked up, I know you're you're you're going to try and get some sponsors and exemptions and and work that game. You know, like what else will you play in You're kind of a you know, you're in no man's land.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, I'm depending on uh, you know what sponsored bots I get. I'm really excited about.
Speaker 3: You know, the PGA Tour is by far, hands down the best tour in the world. I know everyone knows that, but it's just it's just not even close. It's unbelievable out there.
Speaker 1: It's the greatest lifestyle in the world, and especially as a golfer, it's just you just play amazing tracks weekend and week out, and they chase the best weather too. You never played bad You notice how there's never bad weather on the PGA Tour. Yeah, like maybe maybe like one week a year and it's a weird storm where it was like high winds and the highest wind records and years. Yeah, there's never a bad weather ever on the PGA Tour.
Speaker 2: So he just came to Chicago and September is the best golfing weather here mm hmm.
Speaker 3: No hardly any wind, perfect and just sunny, no humidity. Yeah, it's it's it's it's amazing. So I would love to get PJ tour starts. That's that's the next. That's the next for me is you know, I've been writing and hopefully I can get you know, get some starts. I went out to the after I wanted hon Duras. Not that I have a lot of money or anything, but I actually told my buddy I was gonna come visit him on the three weeks off.
Speaker 1: Visit him for a week and he lived out in Vegas, and so I wanted hun Duras and I changed my some I'm literally supposed to call in the morning Tour Travel and change my flight from back home out of hun Duras to Vegas forget in the morning. On sidey, I make the cut on the number this year. I go out and I go out and I'm in the middle of my round. It's funny. I'm I think I'm at like five under at the time. I'm in the middle of my round.
Speaker 5: Going to ninety ninety or maybe ten t and I'm like, oh my god, I forgot to change my flight and the only thing I thought about and the whole back nine is you can't forget to change your flight because tour travel most of the time isn't.
Speaker 1: Open on Sundays. Yeah, I was like, I have to call them before when I get done, like I have to do this, and it's all I found around the back nine.
Speaker 3: I went around there and shot sixty one and took the lead, and then I had to do a bunch of and I have set the course record, and I have to do all these interviews.
Speaker 1: And at the same point, I was sick that most of that week. It was the craziest week ever. I was sick all week. Like I literally didn't I literally didn't play. I played like one to nine holes practice round week. It was It's unreal how life works. And so I'm like and then I have to do all these interviews, and I'm like, well, I want to go hit a few balls. After these interviews, I forgot again. I'm want to go hit a few balls and like, groove this, like I'm going to win the ball off. Yeah, cancel win tomorrow. I go hit balls in the range I'm putting, and my buddy walks up to me and goes and goes you change your flight. I was like, oh my god. I run back the room call like four minutes before Tour Travel closes, change my flight. I go on to win and spend a week out in Vegas. That story leads up to me playing TPC Summerland and I love that track. I absolutely love that track.
Speaker 2: It is built for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not too long, It's not too long. It plays firm and fast, and I hit a lot of short clubs in and the part fives are kind of narrow, and the greens are kind of quirky and hit long clubs well, and it just it's built so well for me. I tore it up all week long when I was out there, and so I would love to play in the Shriners Hospital. That's That's like the one that I really want to get in. In the wrap around season.
Speaker 2: We got to get this man a man a spot. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it'd be it'd.
Speaker 1: Be amazing to be able to get out there and go play. You know, I was out there all week and I'm I'm I almost got to Vegas and I ever get to a place in my life where I can. So I love that track.
Speaker 2: Where do you headquarter now.
Speaker 1: Really on awfully say, lately, I've just been flying to wherever a buddy lives and like practicing there instead of going back to Kentucky because my coach is there. But we can video, we can send videos, and I just it's not a lot I can get done at home in Kentucky.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll play a bit country club. It's sixty one hundred yards, no driving range. I've played it a billion times, like you know, it's like it just it just doesn't it doesn't show what I need to work on.
Speaker 2: Really, maybe you should play, you should try. I always say this to my buddy. He's my my floorball partner, and he plays at this course I grew up playing at, which is I mean you can hit driver everywhere. Yeah, like I can go out and shoot under part of my sleep. I always tell him, like, why don't you play with just a five iron and under? So then you're hitting like all different clubs into the greens, you know, And I mean obviously it hurts it you don't get work on your driver, but Alsoden, you're hitting like seven irons and the greens that you've always hit wedges into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I actually that was the next thing I was going to, Like, I've played that place with you know, no woods. I played that place with you know one time.
Speaker 3: One time I played that place with seven iron down and played it seven iron down and played it as a par sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Played the seven iron down and play the fives as fours. It was, it was, it was, It was crazy. My buddy was like, you can't shoot und the bar seven iron down and par sixty eight.
Speaker 3: Or it might have been six iron. It might have been where I could hit a full shot into the par threes, whatever club I needed. I think it was a six iron where I could hit a six iron to the middle of the green.
Speaker 1: It was a back flag. It was just I was tough. But whenever I could hit to the middle of the greens on the longest par three, that was the longest club in my bag and played in all the fives and I shot sixty seven. I shot one under actually doing that. And but yeah, it's of course, it's just so easy. I know it so well, and you just can't. I just can't. Like it's cool, it's cool to do. But like my my strength of my game is my driver, and I want hit drivers like that's what I work on because my driver is you know, I'm not short, like I'm super short, and I have to hit it straight. I'm decently long, and I hit it straighter than most guys that my length are longer hit it.
Speaker 3: So I can't really work on that stuff. So I just kind of fly to wherever. I was in Jacksonville on my last week off.
Speaker 2: And it's got to be nice that you get the practice and play at the TPC courses. It probably helps a ton with traveling around.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I always fly in with a TVC course, or I spend my winters in Orlando, so like that's I have a place there down at Reunion Resort. They're good to me there and I can go in there and practice in Orlando, so you know, wherever there's a TBC.
Speaker 3: I spent my birthday in New Orleans actually a rab before I to Argentina for an event and a gain there the first week back after I had won, and my buddy bought me a flight into New Orleans and they went out in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: And I was out practicing at the TBC down there. I just it's nice that, you know, if I wanted to go somewhere and need to go do something, I can always find a place to go practice, which is it's just good.
Speaker 2: Do you guys get access to the private ones too?
Speaker 1: Uh? Private?
Speaker 2: Like the private tPCS because I know some of them are private clubs.
Speaker 1: In a sense, like yeah, yeah, I know, I'm you get yeah.
Speaker 2: Because like Boston is a is a private one and I think I don't know where else are They've got a handful of privates.
Speaker 3: So any any of them that are on the list, if you remember, they just usually you show up, and especially the ones that aren't Sawgrass or Scottsdale, you show up and you are because a lot of times there's not one other guy out there, you know, like if you go to Boston or you know, summer and like you go out there, there might be four guys and they literally set you up in a locker, give you a locker and everything first class.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's pretty nice.
Speaker 2: Being a country club member without any of the dues, right.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Well, you played.
Speaker 3: You paid plenty of dues paying the PGA tour of a Q school, So yeah, you pay in the travel, you're paying, You're paying dues.
Speaker 1: Just so you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you'll you'll play a Q school this year, and obviously that's that's a big event with status, right, just getting the higher priority.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm going to get a few starts. I could get anywhere from three to eight starts.
Speaker 3: I could get all eight off of my status out of Canada, possibly because it's changed a little bit this year.
Speaker 1: But if i go to Q school and win Q School, then I'm a full member.
Speaker 2: I'm in everything.
Speaker 3: And ten is like twelve I think or something like that, or half the year, you know, and then top forty five gets the first eight no matter what. So it and it's you're playing for fifty k. You know, it's more money than I've been playing for all year. So it's like, you gotta I'm definitely not gonna pass with my chance like that. And it's and those first aid on the web dot com are just so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and there a lot of them are down in your uh, in your comfort zone down in Latin America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's pretty good. That is the main reason I went to Latin over Canada.
Speaker 3: Actually, you have a little bit better status if you play down there and finish in the five because every Latin America start you're in no matter what, your number doesn't have to get called, like you're automatically in as through sponsor invite for those.
Speaker 1: Latin America starts. If you've got in the top five the Lo Cinko down in Latin America, so you're better than Canada a little bit.
Speaker 2: You're in the Lo Cinco right now. Right if if it ended no no, no.
Speaker 1: No no, I'm I'm like, I think I'm like eleven now like eleven.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's probably never it's never happened before. But what if you've finished. What if you went down in there and played and you were top five and go and Canada. I feel like that should get full exemption.
Speaker 1: I feel like it should too. But it wouldn't knowing the pKa s or that wouldn't happen. So but I would just play out of whatever category was better, and it'd be funny because probably if I if I do go deck down there, something crazy happens and I went again down there. I guess it's not so crazy at this point. But if I went again down there and get finished in the five down there and then the five up there, and then I go to Q School. It could be funny. Then I go to Q School and if I say I won Q School, I would just all everything I did all year just really wouldn't have mattered as long as I finished in the top ten in the one Q School because those two category numbers wouldn't even matter. I'd just play out of my my full status category. So whatever category I have the best number from, that's what That's what you play on there. That's how I do it.
Speaker 2: I know it's tough because there's so many web guys that you know, struggle to get starts, but like I'm really surprised that there isn't more movement ability from Latin America and Canada mid year. Like I think a perfect example is Dan McCarthy last year, who won what is it for Canadian.
Speaker 1: Tour events, crazy crazy good year and you.
Speaker 2: Know he I think he was top five in the first start of the year and he got injured this year and I know he lost his car, so he's back at Q school, you know, one year after winning four events. But like it's a it's such an interesting golf story in the sense of like this guy red hot and they injured. I think I want to say his thumb and he couldn't play basically all year, and when he came back it was so late in the season. It's you know, like it's a shame because that guy, you get him up on the Web. There's no question that he the golf level golf. He was playing like that, it's going to translate to the next level. And it's too bad when somebody wins like it. You know, you win three times on the Web, you're up to the up to the the PGA two automatically, like and you won three times.
Speaker 4: On the developmental tours to the Web, and those three wins should get you a spot up there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I can essentially get three starts next year.
Speaker 3: If I go to final stage and don't play well and I get my number, only gets called out of Canada three times in the first eight events and I miss three cuts, then I could not get to start the rest of the year. It's a chance I could not get to start the rest of the year. And that that's a little it's a little crazy, but you know they've built it that way. And in your first year on any tour.
Speaker 2: You always have to play well. You always have to play well well.
Speaker 1: Just you have you have to play so much better your first year than you have to play any other year on tours, just like the PGA Tour, you just don't get any of the you know, just don't get any You don't guarantee the lot of spots unless you, you know, finish number one of the money list, and you know, you just you have to take, you know, take your starts and play well. And you know, once you keep your card on each on any tour, the next year you're in every event. That's that's when life gets easy. That's when you can you know, if you have to play forty weeks or whatever it is you have to play every single week that year to keep your card, you can't, but you have that option. You know, you don't get twenty starts twenty two starts, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you get to play the courses the second time around, so there's familiarity and you know comfort. I think that's one of one of the toughest things with being a PGA Tour rookie is like you're going to a tour and you're playing against guys that have played at a tour stop for tense or eight years, and you're playing the golf course for the first time, you know, staying in the town for the first time, and it's it's tough. It's it is. You know, golf is definitely a sport. It's quite different than like football, where football, like being a veteran's like the worst thing ever. I guess you're going to get booted by a young, cheaper contract, but golf being a veteran is extremely advantageous. So you know, the one event I think you should play is Argentina Open. You can get spot in the British Open or Open Championship.
Speaker 3: No, that one, That one's I'm probably gonna go down for that two week stretch in Argentina. That was actually where I'm almost in lou Han the week before that Argentina Opened. It was the first win I almost had and kind of when my whole career changed. Late that year, I started playing a lot better, made every cut that second half of the year except for one, I think in Latin last year, and I had a chance to win an argent Argentina and I shot seventy three on Saturday just because I hadn't been in that I was leading after two rounds and I just had never been in that situation in a long time on a good you know, in a four round event, you know, playing you know, on a good tour with good players, and I shot seventy three on Saturday and just literally just hurt myself all day long mentally, just was just doing things that I don't normally do.
Speaker 1: And you know, I went back and rec that night. I was like, I'm gonna play great tomorrow, like I know what I need to do. You know, my game was good, and we get.
Speaker 3: Washed out on Sunday, don't even play and I finished temp and I end up losing my card on the Latin A Marcasram last year by like a few hundred dollars Jesus, And it was, you know, it was it was tough for me, Like, it was really tough for me to for that, you know, for it to get almost taken from me. I went, you know, went from leading the tournament to shooting seventy three Indian I think it was three shots off the lead, but in tenth place because it was real longchamp and you know, that was a lot difference in money, and it was just like.
Speaker 1: It was super frustrating.
Speaker 3: And then I had some family stuff happen the next week and I missed the cut in the Argentine Open. You know, but that was kind of when my career really changed and turned, and I really felt it turning, and I knew this year was going to be a good year.
Speaker 1: I told my dad this funny this beginning of this year. I'd never said this before.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, I'm getting better, like it should be a good year. But I literally told him right after I missed the cutting Bogata about one after I had to go Monday in because I had bad status from Q School in Latin America.
Speaker 1: I said, Pat, I said, Pops, this is this is it. This is my year. It's gonna be my breakout yere Like, I'm telling you right now, it's gonna be my breakout year, or I'm gonna be doing something different next year. I said, like, because if as well as I'm playing, if I don't break out this year, then I'm not going to. So, you know, I played kind of crummy for a couple of weeks and the next couple of starts, and then how Dura's happened, and then pretty much from then on, I've just been open the flukings since I went in Honduras, and so it's it's been crazy.
Speaker 2: It's interesting what you said about the hon Duras when and how you're sick and you know how you and I had a sports psychologist on the podcast a couple of months ago, and I talked about how, like I noticed a lot of my really great rounds come, like you know, I meddled and went to the semis in like our mid Am Mash play last year, and it came after a weekend I was in a wedding and I spent zero time practicing. I think I'm still hungover on Monday morning when we played, and he goes, yeah, because you had zero expectations, like and usually great things happen when you have this sensation like versus like you know, being uber prepared and like playing you know, practicing a ton. And there's a weird thing with golf where I think, if you you don't I mean, obviously you don't expect something, you go out there a little bit more free. And it sounds like that's kind of what happened in Honduras where you it probably was the week you least expected it, given the circumstances of being sick and everything yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Wasn't killing that will in Guatemala, and it was kind of the sickness was coming on. And I remember getting catching a flight when I went through from Honduras, but or Guatemala because the window lays and we got washed out. Anyways, but I left so I could.
Speaker 3: Go get in the monday because I wasn't in the tournament in Honduras yet, Oh my god, on Sunday, so I went drawn and I fly into because I was gonna I was gonna have to play good to make the cut. Fly in and I get there and I get in on the number, and I remember like when I was got there and I found out I was in, I was gonna go play nine, and I was like, I was like, I'm not even gonna go out there today, Like I don't feel good.
Speaker 1: I go to bed that night, wake up the next day and I'm just like can't move almost like like body feels terrible. Hardly hit any shots that week, and.
Speaker 3: I remember playing pretty good and getting nothing out of my rounds, and I was like, what a week to finally play good and I'm sick, like like I like, I'm playing well this week and I'm sick and all I'm thinking about is being sick, and I don't even really care where, you know, how prepared I am or anything like, if I could have been feeling good, I would have had a great week. I was thinking that on literally on Friday, in the middle of my round, and I make a birdie putt for twelve feet.
Speaker 1: On the thirty sixth hole to make the cut on the number and to go out first on Saturday. Then that changed my whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that changed that everything go first and played fast and didn't have to wait, and I'm a quick player.
Speaker 1: Shot sixty one. That changed my life. It's funny how things in life happened. And you know that one thing can can change the way you think, and you know, and when I shot sixty one, I believed I could win, And the wind kicked up that afternoon as soon as I finished. It was a perfect storm. And guys didn't play that good in the afternoon. The leaders and you know, I held held on Sunday, and you know, now I'm sitting here now in Portugal like the Portugal Masters. So it's you know, it's just a domino effect.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. So in terms of what would you have done, if you had had quit, if it hadn't worked out this year, I got.
Speaker 1: A buddy that lives in New York City. I got a pretty good backup plan. He he owns his own company in New York City.
Speaker 3: We grew up together. He's he's one of my best friends, if not my best friend. And I grew visit him like my vacation. Everyone's like, you can go to the beach.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, I'm going to New York City and then go see my buddy and then we're gonna go out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's you know, ten degrees up in New York City and we just go out, go up there, go out every night. He knows everybody, you know, see the city.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 3: I like New York City. It's my favorite places to go. And and he's like, has like a recruiting company, and that's that's where I was. Edited was headed to go to New York City. Uh, you know, he said, I always got a spot. But he tells, he tells me, now if I quit, I'm an idiot.
Speaker 2: Son didn't know.
Speaker 1: He don't know if I have a job.
Speaker 2: If I quit now, man Zuma's revenge was the turning point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It's it's funny how things like that happened, and how I had a conversation with my guy room with Tim O'Neill, who's been on and off the nationwide tour in the wood dot Com Tour and it's won a lot down in Latin America.
Speaker 1: And I asked him.
Speaker 3: I was like, what's your best advice for Sunday? Nothing crazy? I don't meaning crazy. What's your best advice? He said, past the patient say you're playing great, stay patient, don't do anything crazy.
Speaker 1: Don't do anything crazy because you think you have to go win this golf turn because you don't just stay patient. And I stay patient all day long. And yeah, stay pagion all day long.
Speaker 3: And and make the first time I think got ever going boogie free at three under. Usually I'm you know, I shoot five six seven under if I go bogie free.
Speaker 1: And I went bogie free at at three under par and slid into that playoff and you know the rest is history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's awesome. A patients is that's good advice for all of life. So we do a underrated overrated segment. It's just quick. Yeah, we'll do like three of them. You just say overrated, underrated, and you can explain if you want to or not. First one we're gonna do is the Safari hat versus the bucket. You know, you know, the bigger, the longer one.
Speaker 1: Mine's a Safari hat pretty much.
Speaker 2: It looks like think it was a hybrid almost.
Speaker 1: Maybe it might be a hybrid.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure, but it's it's close, it's pretty big, it's really big.
Speaker 2: So there's gonna be underrated alternative hats, I guess is the is the way to go. Oh they're underrated, Yeah, super underrated. Under it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unbelievable. They're underrated and they need more love. I don't know everyone's then. I've been wearing the snapbacks just because.
Speaker 2: I don't have the bucket. The next question we'll go with is uh is is food and in Latin and South America.
Speaker 1: Overrated?
Speaker 6: Overrated for sure, for sure overrated. So the best spots Mexico. I love text backs, but the Metacos are unbelievable.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite spot of all of it. They love they eat too much beef, like it's unbelievable. All they do is eat steak and like eleven thirty at night.
Speaker 2: That's all they do Winter Argentina a couple of years ago, for like two weeks. It's nuts. How much steak?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so much steak and it's really good and it's amazing beef.
Speaker 3: And after your second meal of beef and eleven PM, you're like, I never want to eat beef again. I don't want this, Like I want something else other than this. You can't even get chicken. They look at you like you're stupid, like you have four heads if you ask for chicken.
Speaker 2: This other thing that's crazy is like eleven thirty. It's like dinner time.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, they restaurants have to open early, and we'll come to town. They'll call at your restaurants and ask them to open at a normal hour. Yeah, and then like they have to make plans.
Speaker 2: When we're coming through Ohn And then, uh, what about poutine? Overrated and underrated?
Speaker 1: Mmm?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If I've had good poutine, you don't care. I would say over eighty. I had it at a club and I was really turned off by I had it in Winnipeg my first week up there, and I was like, this isn't that good. I'm not that happy with it. But I've never had it anywhere else, so that was probably my mistake. Honestly. I didn't have it like a good shot, but the one at the Country Winnipeg, it was not very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Canadians are going to be mad at you.
Speaker 1: I love Canada. I'll only give them a shout out because Canada. Canada was an amazing place for me. But I'm not I'm not. I'm not all about the proutine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll get a guaranteed start or you didn't. Did you get started at RBC You weren't in the top five.
Speaker 1: I hadn't. Yeah, I was. I finished sixth in Winnipeg, and I would have if I would have won in thunder Bay, I would have got a start. And I was leading on Saturday with like nine holes left at thirteen under the winning score, had a big lead on Saturday, and I blew up. It was it was. It was one of my more epic finishes in the golf tournament. But I imploded pretty much and finished thirtieth that week. It was. My buddy still makes fun of me about it. It was just complete implosion, just lost my mind and uh and uh yeah, And so I ended up not getting that Star. I thought I was gonna get that story. I got way in myself. I'm gonna get into RBC. I'm gonna win the RBC, Like IM killing it right now, all this stuff, and then I should finish thirty. It was so funny.
Speaker 2: That's fun It happens to me all the time. And like USGA qualifiers. As I start thinking about like, oh yeah, I'm gonna play in this this mid AM or this USM or whatever it is, I'm like, I start thinking about the golf course and then next thing I know, like I played three holes five over and I'm like, oh, well, it's nice to last. But the U the one time I didn't have that happen was I ended up burning the last three of my last four to get in and I didn't think I had a chance, And it was just like I was like, it was perfect because I didn't have time to just shit all over myself.
Speaker 1: I said, the literally the best thing that ever happened to me when I got sixty one was well, I got to the last toy. It was the easiest home in golf course eighteen and Audult, this is the easiest home on golf course each part five and I'm the hardest hole on the golf course. I hold like an eight footer after chopping it all up and down it when I was at nine under and I was like, and I was like, I can shoot fifty nigh and then I.
Speaker 2: Just my head.
Speaker 1: My head just imploded. It just exploded. And and I and I make make an eight footer and I get to the last hole, and uh, and I just would just like, just get it anywhere around the green and I get it. I get it on the front fringe, and I'm just like, I don't need a three footer right now for sixty one, I mean for sixty two. I was like, I don't need it. And I just bashing out of the front fringe from forty feet and it goes in, and I was like, I was like, I'm so glad that this is over. I ran out of holes to mess it up, and I was about to mess it up. That's literally what I when I told my buddy, I said, I was gonna mess it up, but I had to play a couple more holes.
Speaker 2: That's uh. I was playing the Midham the US Madam last year and I on my second round, I birdied ten and I was like I was like three clear of the number for match play, and I'm like, all right, yeah, we're in match play. Like if I get hot masters, you know, this is what's going through my head, Like and literally the next hole is the easiest hole on the golf course. The drive the fairway is like one hundred yards wide, and I hit it into the ship. I was just like unbelieve, like you know, of all the things I make like a double and I'm like, then I just start grinding. Just sure enough. I had too many holes. Yeah, I I needed that last hole to be done. But it's funny how golf is so uh yeah, well, we'll be rooting for you in Portugal and uh keep let us know where you're where you're going next and we'll be uh got a new person to favorite on the on the PGA Tour app.
Speaker 1: Sounds good. I'm excited. I've enjoyed this. This was this was a cool experience and h it's great to meet here and you know, hopefully and hopefully you won't stay in touch and and talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll tee it up in Florida this winter when you're down.
Speaker 1: Definitely definitely sounds good.
Speaker 2: Alright, man, have a good one all right yeah, peace m hm.