Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is. It is.
Speaker 6: Thursday September ninete eight, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number twenty three. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live at the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years accounting see why at a LG dot com for slash O led Evo.
Speaker 4: How's everybody doing today?
Speaker 5: Can't get this chair up today? It's another one.
Speaker 6: Here we go there, well doing well?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right, good, We got Amber back with us today. Welcome back to we missed you yesterday.
Speaker 7: I was just selling Derek on the irony and being Hispanic Carritage month means the Hispanic has more work to do this month, so.
Speaker 4: Nothing more American. Yeah, yeah, get it done. All right, let's let's dive here.
Speaker 6: We got a lot of things we're gonna talk about today. We're gonna start on some injury updates. Quite a few guys jumped onto the injury report yesterday that had not been there, UH, some top line guys. We'll talk about that here. In the second we'll get into the Dallas offense versus the Baltimore defense UH. Somewhere in the second segment and into the third segment, we may even have some time for some phone calls. We'll see numbers eight eight, eight, eight, five, five, two two nine seven and UH. As Again, as I said before, I'm gonna be your advocate on this show, So I'm gonna try very hard to get amber to give you time to be able to call in and UH and give us some feedback.
Speaker 4: Let's start first with injury updates.
Speaker 6: Trayvon Diggs, Seedee Lamb, Mozzie Smith all pop up on the injury report. Did not practice yesterday for foot, ankle, and back injuries, respectively.
Speaker 4: What do we know right now about these injuries?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we could start with Mozzie Smith.
Speaker 3: We saw him come off of the practice field during the media portion of the UH practice yesterday with head trainer doctor Jim Mauer. He was coming off and kind of holding his back a little bit. So there was some back issues that you know he's dealing with. And I think it's reflective of kind of what happened on Sunday as well, because if you go back on tape, you can kind of see Mozzi leaning back a little bit at times. I'm not theorizing, but there is times you can see Mozzi kind of leaning back and grad.
Speaker 8: I don't know which touchdown it was, but he Yeah, he kind of turned one time and you could.
Speaker 2: See him below her back and the left side. Yeah, grab him. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So definitely something to keep an eye on, especially with Jordan Phillips going on the IR yesterday. If they're down two defensive tackles going into going into Sunday, then there's probably an opportunity for a Denzelt Accent or a Phil high Skins to get elevated from the practice squad and the city lamb ankle did not practice and Trayvon Diggs's foot did not practice. At least from my conversations, there doesn't seem to be any major concern. It's more so just giving those guys some rest on a Wednesday practice, and I expect them to be in a limited fashion today.
Speaker 4: That's good to know.
Speaker 6: As soon as we saw the injury report yesterday, I think Nick came obviously, he's like, have you seen.
Speaker 2: The injury report?
Speaker 6: And it Obviously, when those guys pop up, you get a little nervous, especially for me CD because he didn't have a training camp, and so as they're ramping him up, you're like, Okay, don't you want to see him and you want to get more of him, but you also want to be smart and make sure that it doesn't overly expose him to injury. So glad to hear that that's not a major situation. My question becomes if let's say, for example, at this point where you are at the cornerback position, if this becomes a pop problem for Trayvon, what do the Cowboys do with regards to the cornerback position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have options in Andrew Booth that they acquired via trade over the during training camp. They have Israel Kuamu as well that they could use in an instance like that. But you know, I'm I'm not too concerned about game availability, but just in case it did pop up, in a game and they needed somebody to fill in and you know, make something happen there. Those are two guys you look at. Also a couple of corners on the practice squad who have a lot of experience as well. So if they needed to elevate somebody just to have someone ready, there's options to do that.
Speaker 9: No, c J.
Speaker 2: Goodwining those games for you.
Speaker 5: No comment here, you go there, you go mix it.
Speaker 3: Ryan, Just.
Speaker 8: All right, you're with a different body now, so I can kind of go at you.
Speaker 4: You didn't have the same worries as before.
Speaker 6: He's like, you know, forget on the Plane's just like I don't have to get on the plane exactly. Talk to me about Jake Ferguson and Stevens.
Speaker 4: Who were both limited yesterday. But I hate that by the way, and hamstring is yeah, I know right. The best thing about.
Speaker 6: Literally I can literally be on the plane and I'm back home block in the morning.
Speaker 4: I wake up in my own bed the next morning, I'm home. Yeah.
Speaker 6: John Stevens and Jake Ferguson, who missed the last game, both limited in practice yesterday. Are we getting closer and is there a possibility that maybe we see one or both back playing this weekend.
Speaker 3: I think both of these guys are back on Sunday. I really good signed to see them both in a limited fashion yesterday. There's some confidence from Mike McCarthy from his press conference yesterday as far as you know, Ferguson's availability, and then to see Stevens walking around and getting a limited session in. He had that leg sleeve around his I believe it's a left leg that he's dealing with the hamstring. Don't quote me on that, but it's good to see both of those guys on the field. I think when you look at the rest of the injury report, I mean there's there's some good confidence that you can have Marshaw Neeland with the cat that he was kind of battling last week, he was a full participant. And then Zach Martin, you know, with the knee that he came out with for a few plays on Sunday, he was limited, so he was at least able to get on the field. Other than what you see with Monzie Smith, I really don't see any major concerns as far as game availability on Sunday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the having the we'll get into this, you know. The one thing that the Ravens have had trouble with is tight ends. They they've given up some past plays down the field to some tight ends. And the rape the Raiders are you know, got two of the better ones and and so yeah, this is this is anything that you can do to kind of bring up the you know, you could kind of bring up their their their availability and then working against you know, with Eddie Jackson and then Marcus Williams. That's that's a that's a good thing.
Speaker 10: I'm curious to know something.
Speaker 5: Me too, Me too.
Speaker 10: Deliveries. I forgot them up theirs so I needed them because my eyes hurt.
Speaker 6: Doesn't know how bad you talk about storyline, I just want to know.
Speaker 7: Anyway, I don't talk about friendly, no, But with John Stevens, I mean, I know he's he's a guy that we are all eager to see and have back on the field, and we've seen him be a very good player. But what are your current expectations knowing that he's been out this period of time and then once he comes back in, I mean, what's the level there of what you're expecting for him to do or.
Speaker 3: Look like, Yeah, there's low expectations, but I think they're going to give him opportunities in the receiving game. I think you'll see him in Learne. I think you'll see him split out in you know, some slot situations. He has this receiving background. They needed a little bit of receiving juice. So it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a couple two three targets in this game on Sunday, if he's active.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I said, but especially with the way the Ravens have kind of struggled in the second there, this is really unusual for them for the first two weeks of the season to be as poor as they played. You know, teams are finding ways to throw the ball on them, at least through the first two weeks. And we'll get into that. Running the football is a whole nother story. But throwing the football has been very successful for teams. So you know, him him being out there, you know, a vertical threat, an underneath threat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean to me, that's if you threw the ball to him, and and this is no slam at span Ford on fourth down, I think I might have been able to make a catch. I know that was a tough, tough chance with you know, contested plays and stuff. But if you're saying you're going to throw the ball to that kid, I'm like, okay, I got a shot to make a play here, span Ford, I don't know that yet, you know. I mean that was the first time out of the Blox and you know, and that wasn't his you know, his cup.
Speaker 2: Of tea at Minnesota.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: The thing with Stevens is we've seen him make plays. Yeah, So having another guy that has length and has the ability to get down the field and can make some plays, You're just gonna need as many of those guys on the field as you can. So expectations, you know, Yeah, throw them out there and see what happens, because you could be you could be surprised by how well he could play.
Speaker 3: To that point about Baltimore, I know we'll dive more into it later on, but first in the NFL and opponent rushing yards allowed through two weeks thirty second in the NFL and passing yards allowed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you looking at my notes?
Speaker 5: Maybe so?
Speaker 8: And it's it's clear when we get into it. I mean, they've got a couple of guys inside you'd love to have. I mean, they've kind of figured out that like, no, you're not going to run the ball. But they play in a division that's like that. You know that NFC, the AFC North. You better be ready to play with some power up front, and they surely do.
Speaker 6: You know, it's ironic when when you talk about John Stevens, it's ironic that this week the Cowboys are playing a team that I think has a comparable type player likely is very much like, in.
Speaker 4: My opinion, like a John Stevens.
Speaker 6: He's a guy that can get downfield, he goes vertical on you like he's he has a really interesting game, and I think that's a dynamic. And the way that they use their two tight ends, I think that's a dynamic that can add something to this Cowboys offense because White, frankly, what I think we've seen in the first couple of weeks, or at least what I think is, I don't know how much I'm gonna want to rely as the season goes on on the depth of the wide receiver position. You've got one of the best, if not the best wide receivers in the game. The next thought is can you utilize those tight ends? And then utilizing those two tight ends that can open up some opportunities for some of the other wide receivers. I'm not certain. After I went back and watched the film. In that last game, there were a number of plays where those guys weren't getting open.
Speaker 4: They just weren't open.
Speaker 6: It was just a situation where they just weren't getting any any separation. And if that continues to be the case, I think the tight ends may end up being your next best option outside of Ceedee Lamb, and then maybe it opens.
Speaker 2: Up all week week weeks.
Speaker 8: I think in the I think in the you know, preseason and going leading up into the regular season, we kind of talked about if you had to say where the targets are gonna go, it's gonna be Lamb one, Ferguson two. Yeah, and then Cooks and everybody else was gonna have to kind of figure some things out. But I think you're absolutely onto something there. I think not having Ferguson in that game, yeah, I mean, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Did it help? Know, you know, I mean, do you think it could have helped? Yeah? It could have.
Speaker 8: You know, maybe you know, that offense looked like it was there was times where they were just fighting to get first downs, you know, and maybe you could have made some plays down the fil you know, and you got down in the red zone and stuff. One thing Ferguson's good at is getting open. He knows how to kind of work and find space and is run after catch. You know, that's something big you talk about, you know, with the with the Ravens. You know there guys, that's what it is. Throw it to them short and next thing you know, likely he's running the up. You know, it's a short pass and now it's a you know, fifteen yard gain because of run after catch. And that's what you get out of Ferguson. You know, if you tell me every time, like last year, every time you throwing the ball it was ten yards, it was ten point seven every time you throw him the ball. So you know, taking that off the field didn't exactly help your chances last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they left a lot on the table in the red zone specifically, and I think Havin Ferguson would have changed that a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yeah, even when you look at Schoonmaker and some of the catches he made last week. I think an interesting point was there was some times when he was out and isolated with one guy. You have Ferguson out there, there's a good chance Ferguson makes that guy miss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's what we've seen in his career.
Speaker 6: So even some of the stuff where I thought Schoolmaker did a good job, I think Ferguson may have been able to squeeze out even a little bit more out of those plays, and that could have been more helpful in a game like you said, Brian, we are struggling to get first down.
Speaker 8: You were struggling, and you know, the game might have turned into the Pelicans versut the Mavericks. It might have been one hundred and six to one hundred and five if you if you had because neither you know, neither team was. But to me, that's the one thing that I was encouraged by, and we talked about this was Luke Schoonmaker. So now, if say you do get guys going here, say you do get these two tight ends going, you know, if you get Stevens going and then Ferguson back in the mix, and Schoonmaker's shown as an option, you know as a guy that you know as many of those guys as you can get going because a lot of teams just don't have the ability to cover tight ends. They can cover wide receivers all day. These tight ends are a challenge, especially the big ones that.
Speaker 4: Are athletes, and then throw two at them.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, and that makes it even even easier to get the mismatches.
Speaker 2: You want simple throws.
Speaker 4: All right, we're going to take our first break. When we come back.
Speaker 6: We're going to dive into the Cowboys offense versus the Baltimore defense. We'll be back to alas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure, did you? And the cheetah Savannah? Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 5: SEEATD dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 13: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 5: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o lead Evo.
Speaker 2: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 5: Dallas.
Speaker 12: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think.
Speaker 11: There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 2: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 5: Take five is so fast you don't.
Speaker 2: Even have to get out of your car.
Speaker 13: You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across.
Speaker 12: The Dallas area.
Speaker 14: And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think.
Speaker 6: Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 15: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper. You love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 9: Life doesn't stop when the economy is on certain the market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Equal Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 2: Back to the.
Speaker 4: Break, Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the second second of the break from the s w B. This is this show is off the Real Today.
Speaker 5: I got this, LGO is the best TV in the game. But don't take our word for it.
Speaker 3: Digital trends of the lg O LG for is the best picture quality they've ever seen.
Speaker 5: See for yourself at LG dot com slash.
Speaker 16: Thank you moment, Welcome back, Amber, I am here one of those days.
Speaker 2: I'm about to have it.
Speaker 6: About to say, this is one of those days our producers losing his mind.
Speaker 4: Back there, Chris is having one today, Like what are y'all doing?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 6: Anyway, Welcome Back is the second segment of the Break Lift in s WBC Morgan Studios. At the start of the segment, brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Got that all.
Speaker 2: Right, here we go.
Speaker 6: Let's go Cowboys offense versus the Baltimore defense. As you mentioned before the break Cowboys defense, I mean, I'm sorry, Baltimore's defense dead lasting past yards allowed this season, which I'm not used to seeing a Baltimore defense be dead last in anything. They are typically a very very solid defense, but they are giving it up uh here in the.
Speaker 4: First two weeks of the season.
Speaker 6: My question for you, Brian is is this more function of who they've played or more function of the fact that they are just bad at it, or another option could be they're so good against the runs, as you mentioned, they're number one against the run that teams feel like, well, we have to throw the ball and that gets more yards because you're just doing it more frequently.
Speaker 4: What do you think it is?
Speaker 8: They're zero to two against Gardner Minshew. He's beat him twice now, beat him, beat him last year at Indianapolis, and beat him here with the Raiders. So they don't want to see Gardner Minshew play anymore.
Speaker 2: But he was he was a quarterback.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he might neither do the Raiders thirty thirty of thirty eight throwing the ball, you know, and if you watch the game and stuff, there was some stuff behind the line of scrimmage and some screens and things like that.
Speaker 2: But when he had to make some clutch throws, he made some.
Speaker 4: Clues at DeVante Adams.
Speaker 8: Yeah absolutely, yeah, yeah, absolutely, And you know, and that's where that's where you got it there. They're not getting the pressures that they had in the past. Monabique, you know, their defensive tackle is one of the better ones. When you start to talk about those undertackles. Three techniques. Guys that play inside. He's his pressure rates are down and you can watch uh when he you know, he's not getting off blocks like he was. Kansas City did a nice job of holding him up.
Speaker 2: The Raiders.
Speaker 8: The Raiders had some some some problems. They had more problems with the edges with Away, the first round pick from Penn State, was a problem for them.
Speaker 2: For a couple of sacks.
Speaker 8: But they just haven't been getting the pressure that they have in the past. And what's happened to is a guy like Marlon Humphrey, who's been just an All Pro player for him, has got off into a really bad start, and you know, they've played him more in the slot. You can watch him play some slot. They're trying to get Nate Wiggins, who you know we talked about in the Draft show from Clemson. He was a first round pick last year. They're trying to get him on the field. Jalen Amore Davis is another backup they're trying to get on the field. So they're trying to rotate these corners with Brandon Stevens and then Humphrey. Humphrey's not coming off the field, but it's kind of like they're they're trying to get guys involved in the defense. But with the lack of pressure and then their best player coverage wise, having to place mostly in the slot so they can get Whiggins on the field. They've had a little bit of some problems there and teams have been able to complete some passes on them because there has been some separation.
Speaker 2: There's been a couple of different times.
Speaker 8: Where they have lost they have lost, you know, receivers. I mean, there was a couple of times against Kansas City where could have been huge plays. I mean, these guys are giving up these explosive plays, and that's something that they never ever do. But I think I went back and just looked at the metrics because I kept saying, man, that's unlike can't it's unlike the Ravens. They had fourteen of them. Wow that they explosive plays already in the passing game.
Speaker 4: Just in these two games, just in two games.
Speaker 2: Wow, And they could have given up more.
Speaker 8: If you watch Kansas City, they Checko on the wheel, they try and get up the sidelines. It looks like to me that Humphreys is kind of confused. Are they playing are they playing zone? They're playing man? And you know, but the balls too far up the field and they came back with it and missed it again, and you're like, going, man, those are two shots right there. But they're they're struggling a little bit on the back end. And what they're having to do too is Kyle Hamilton the safety, and I can't figure out, you know, his the way that he's playing. I'm just trying to get a bead because he's a guy you have to be aware of me. Where's number fourteen. He's almost playing like he's playing like a linebacker, like what we saw with Curse. So he's a nickel safety. They got two regular safeties. He's playing as a linebacker. He's playing in the slot. You know there he's going to match up against. I have a feeling he's going to be the guy that's going to carry Ferguson in this game. And that's a tall, long guy that can can move a little bit.
Speaker 3: To that same point, he's such an important guy for them. He did not practice yesterday with a back injury, so something to keep an eye on as a week goes down. But when I look at this Raven's defense, yes they have the ro qwand Smith. Yeah, Nominee Ameta buke. But it's Kyle Hamilton for me, that's the guy you need to be able to neutralize.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that Hamilton, because he could play all these spots. You see him at safety, you see him at nickel slot, and then you see him also though as the linebacker. But he's playing a lot more near the line of scrimmage than he ever has. And they're trying to you know, but you know, I don't know if it's trying to like, oh, they worry about things in the running game. To me, they're running game that they got. They got massive dudes up front. I mean when you look at like Michael Pierce, he's three hundred and fifty five pounds, I mean he's just a big and and but they're guys for big. Their guys are able to control and then get rid of blockers like you try and block. These guys they're holding up blocks, but they're also getting rid of blockers as they're you know, getting to the football. So you see them hold hold, hold, rid boom, now make a tackle, you know that they're really really good him Travis Jones. I mean, they've got some size inside and they got linked on the edge. Kyle van Noy is a veteran guy who's kind of bounced around a little bit.
Speaker 5: But uh oh ways, then other guy that did not practice yesterday by the way. Yeah, but yeah, that's it. That's a big one.
Speaker 8: But him in the in the first round pick away from twenty twenty one. They they've got some lenked on the edge and they've got size inside. And then they got Rokwan Smith who's a shorter middle linebacker. But he he's one of the like it's it's one of those things like, uh, you know, if you don't block him, he's going to make all the tackles. I mean, he just got a nose for the ball. He has had a couple of times, so where's interesting where he's had a chance to make tackles. So I missed in space, which is kind of not his But he's a very physical player. He runs to the ball. They take advantage of him a little bit some in coverage. Kansas City they matched Kansas City matched him up a couple of times on their tight ends and he had a little bit of a struggle. So Kansas City formationed him to have to play in some coverage and that was a little bit of a struggle for him. So as a whole, Yeah, you're probably not going to be able to run the ball against these guys. But if you protect, if you find a way they're you know, and slow down any type of their pass rush. But they've been I went back and looked at this too. Their metrics say they've been really slow off the ball. You know, these are the things that these are things that they look at. What's your get off time for your alignment? And the Ravens have been one of the slower teams in the league when it comes to getting off the ball for these pass rushes, so slow off the ball, not getting pressure when they blitz, they don't get home. That's been a problem. And teams have taken advantage. At least Kansas City and the Raiders took advantage of that, and they've been able to win on the outside against these these corners and these safeties. And that might be the trick for the Cowboys because I just don't think running the football is going to be anything that you can have any type of Oh let's hang our hat on this one. I just think it's going to be hard to block Pierce. I think it's gonna be hard to block Jones, And again the linked on the edge will probably give you a little bit of problem.
Speaker 6: To what which if you had to identify one matchup if you're the Cowboys that you would want to try to create, knowing their weakness in the secondary combined with a strength for you, what would be that matchup for this game?
Speaker 2: Did you have any idea? Did you look at them?
Speaker 8: I got one in mind I would try and get I would try and get Lamb on Brandon Stevens as who I would try and get.
Speaker 3: See, I was thinking Cook's on Stevens, but I think Lamb has some has some ability to be able to separate from him as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think Cooks, like Stevens is the guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, depends on who you want to get on it.
Speaker 3: It's not even necessarily like, Okay, you need to attack that guy because he's not good.
Speaker 5: He's good. It's just it's the it's the it's least of the powers. I guess I think I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to.
Speaker 8: I've seen Humphrey make so many damn plays in his day that I don't know if I want to challenge that. They they challenged the Raiders tried to challenge him on a play and Gardner Minshew threw the ball short and then being an interception.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and you're like going, oh jeez, why shoul you do that? Bro?
Speaker 8: But to me, Marlon Humphrey, when Marlon Humphrey in the slot has been it's it's not his. I don't know if that's his that's his game. I mean, he usually plays the left corner. He's very comfortable doing that. He's a good reader and he could he could adjust with you. It seemed like when Kansas City got him in the slot a little bit, they hit it quick and he would and it was before even had a chance to react.
Speaker 2: So maybe if if they if.
Speaker 8: They walk him into the slot to play against say Lamb, that might be an area. But on the outside, I don't know how much I would challenge him. On the outside in the slot, I might challenge him more. But if I'm going to go after one of these guys, I mean that depends on too. If how Wiggins, he's a rookie, you know, if you see number two out there, I would think that like, Okay, he's got quickness, He's he's really he's a.
Speaker 2: Small guy physically.
Speaker 8: He's a small Yeah, he's a small yeah, but he could run.
Speaker 6: Run at him like running the ball is that is he got a liability in the running.
Speaker 2: The problem is on the field on early no, not on early downs.
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 8: But it's it's it's funny they're trying to get their corners all to play. It's it's not like they're trying to say, Okay, we're just gonna go with these, like there's sixty six plays and you look at the end of the day, and and and Diggs has played sixty six of them. You know, now they're they're trying to get their guys actam. I just don't know how much I would attack Humphrey, even though he's off to not a all pro start like he's had before.
Speaker 2: He's he's given up. He's given up some.
Speaker 8: Catches already in these two games, and that's very surprising for him.
Speaker 3: The reason I say Cooks on Stevens is and this is no shit against Ceedee Lamb. I think he's a phenomenal route runner. I think Brandon Cooks is the best route runner on this team from a fluid standpoint. From at the top of routes, he creates separation and from what I've seen from Brandon Stevens at least is.
Speaker 5: At those breaks he has a little bit of hesitation.
Speaker 3: If he has even just the slightest of hesitation on a guy like Brandon Cooks, and I want to be able to attack that. And I'm completely okay with Ceede Lamb going up against a Marlon Humphrey, just because Ceedee Lamb typically does kind of shine in those moments whenever he does have the star all pro corner on the other side.
Speaker 2: Like what you're doing here? I do.
Speaker 5: But there's going to be options, for sure.
Speaker 8: See the thing is and Amber they won't. They never used cooks like we want them.
Speaker 10: To use cooks.
Speaker 7: Exactly what I was thinking as Nick was speaking. I'm like, yeah, sure, sounds great if they use them. If they use them, that's a big if rest game.
Speaker 5: Last year, that's the only one I could think of me.
Speaker 3: Of course, I lost the bet and had to eat the hot ship, but you know they knew when to use them correctly.
Speaker 5: When I was on the line.
Speaker 10: It's gonna be a big challenge.
Speaker 7: And did you huh do you guys have the metrics on how they are in like the red zone defense?
Speaker 5: I'll cook that up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was to me when I was watching, I was I was curious of why they were so bad.
Speaker 2: Bad in the field on pass and then when you watch the pass rush lack of at.
Speaker 8: Times, and then then and then the pressures they that just I was more curious by how they were how they were playing those in the field. I was like, how can this team Sometimes if you're really good at run defense, they they throw the ball on you and that's all they can do. In this case, they they're not as good as they've been in the past. This is a top three now. They've lost a lot of people. They when coaches, they lost their they lost their defensive coordinator to Seattle as a head coach.
Speaker 2: They lost two of.
Speaker 8: Their coaches to defensive coordinator jobs. I mean it is a first time defensive coordinator. They got working here right now, so you might be catching them at the right time here before they kind of get things going here. But I was more curious about how they were playing in the field than I was with the red zone stuff.
Speaker 3: Nineteen in the NFL and allowing touchdowns in the red zone, just just for curious notes.
Speaker 5: Dead last is the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Defensively and then offensively, they are tied for twenty ninth, So.
Speaker 5: Wow, really bad red zone on both sides of them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that may that may be the elixir the Dallas needs because the red zone is an area I think they're going to have to really, as Amber's been talking about here, stop kicking field goals like get down there and get.
Speaker 4: In the end zone.
Speaker 6: Maybe this is the week when they can they can do that real quick, Brian, before we go to break, I also want to ask you if there is if we come here Monday and we say the Ravens pass rush just really got after that, Yeah, who is the most likely person that could wreck this game?
Speaker 4: From that standpoint, it's it's Away.
Speaker 8: It's a number ninety nine, him and Manabique ninety two.
Speaker 17: I mean, if you they flip them or does he pretty much think no, Mnabik plays tackle tackle Okay, So but yeah you'll get You'll get Away and van Ney will be the two guys and yeah, you'll get some flip from those two guys, is what you'll do.
Speaker 8: But I kind of feel van Ney is a veteran guy. Nick mentioned he's a little banged up right now. Oh wait, I think just has.
Speaker 2: This length to him.
Speaker 8: You know and and his ability to capture the edge. And I know in the Raiders game the other day that you know, they really had a problem with him because they couldn't get out of their stance fast enough to get to out to you know. And maybe it's a situation because you're playing a road game and stuff, and you know you really can't you know, you're not hearing the snap counts and things like that. But I would worry about if they're going to get at you. I would worry about ninety nine being the guy, and do.
Speaker 4: They play him at the one the three like where?
Speaker 8: Well, on the way he places an end, he's really listed as an outside line.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought you were saying they move him to defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: No, no, they moved They move him side to side.
Speaker 4: They moved him left and that I was asking initially.
Speaker 8: Okay, yet so left and right and then and then Minabk is the defensive tackle that you have to worry about because he's the one guy that when he does come off the ball, you know he's got the quickness. But he hasn't played that way through two games. The pressures are way down on all these guys. It's surprising to be honest with.
Speaker 6: You, Yeah, that's something that I want to talk about when we come back from break. I want to talk about specifically the Cowboys offensive line and some pressures that they've been giving up and how you guys assess their play through the first two and how they match up against his defensive front.
Speaker 4: Well that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 14: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a play, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG oled Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 13: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close. LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com. Slash O Leadevo from.
Speaker 18: The field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco or online.
Speaker 5: At lucasey dot com.
Speaker 18: Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas.
Speaker 4: CEE atd dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 7: Back to the Break, AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back.
Speaker 6: Final segment of the Break Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by lg Okay.
Speaker 4: Here's what we're going to do.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about this Cowboys offensive line because I think as the season goes on, it's a storyline that we're going to continue to follow because of the youth and an experience of that line. Let's start first with Cooper BB. Tell me what you've seen from him in the first two games and where you assess his he is relative to where you want.
Speaker 4: Him to be at this point.
Speaker 3: This might be wild to say. I think he's been the most consistent guy up front, talking.
Speaker 4: Off on the entire offensive line all five.
Speaker 5: I think he's been the most consistent, more than Tyler.
Speaker 3: More than Tyler, I think he's been more consistent, especially in the run game as well. I think he's been able to pay some ways there, but it's been the pass game where it's the only the one pressure allowed in sixty two dropbacks.
Speaker 6: I think it's been I can I question a little bit about Yeah, I agree with you. In the passing game, I've seen some good things. I still think in the running game he's not quite getting to the second level, like, yeah, it's not. And I think there were actually a few times in this last game it was actually both for him and Tyler Geydon. I thought there were opportunities they had in the run game if they one of them would have gotten to the second level, like there's a there's a linebacker there, and it's like both of them are out there in space. They didn't get there, and I'm like, if they would have gotten there on that play.
Speaker 4: The first one was to I think it was to t Rico.
Speaker 6: It was early in the game and there was a linebacker there and it was Tyler who was out there. But if he could have gotten there and got in that block, I think you spring him probably ten to fifteen yards.
Speaker 4: But that's the part of his game.
Speaker 6: So when you say in the running game, I still feel like he's not quite getting to the second level like I want him to, and that's holding his running game back.
Speaker 5: I think that's a fair assessment.
Speaker 3: I think overall, though, there hasn't been a lot to pull away from the running game up front, and I do understand what you mean from a Tyler Smith's perspective. I think whenever you look at the product of what he's being asked to do coming in as a third round rookie, I think he's exceeded that really far going into second game exactly two games. Yeah, the snaps have been great, which that was the one thing we were really worried about. I think at a point in the preseason, there hasn't been anything where Dak's had to jump or come back and it's messed up a handoff.
Speaker 5: It's messed up timing, which is great.
Speaker 3: I think whenever you look at consistency, I look at BB as a guy who's just been consistent snap in and snap out. Tyler Smith right there though for.
Speaker 8: Sure, Yeah, you grade your sixty five plays and he probably has three bad wins. There was a time when they did the flip that down in the red zone we were talking about, and I thought that I don't know if Smith or BB maybe both of them went the wrong way.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe they.
Speaker 4: Heard them play.
Speaker 2: They both you know, it's.
Speaker 8: Funny because Zach Martin stepped one way and took his guy and then you know, the ball gets flipped to the outside the zeke and you know there's both linebackers are running him down and you're going, if you go back and watch the play, it's like Smith and bbe both stepped to their left as the ball's going to the right, and you're going, something happened there. And then we talk about with the Cleveland game, in the run game where there were things and and Cory Moore, the linebacker from you know here, Cory Moore, Roquan Smith. I mean, you're you know, you're dealing with these linebackers. Now. If you run, if you if you don't get take a good angle, these linebackers are going to make the play. And there was a couple of times I thought were bb Bibe has been really I mean, if you say the five guys, he he is in the top two. As far as as as you're like, man, this is this has been pretty good from him.
Speaker 2: You know, you you you were worried, you were worried.
Speaker 8: About him, and calls him making steps, him blocking guys, him getting to the second level. The sixty five plays, there's probably going to be three or four of them.
Speaker 2: They're bad. You just hope that not ones that kill you in the game, you know.
Speaker 8: I mean I thought week one, if you start talking about offensive lineman Steele was a much better player.
Speaker 2: Last week, I didn't think he was as good. You know, he kind of.
Speaker 8: Got beat up a little bit, He got turned around a little bit, you know, and Granderson took advantage of him a couple of different times. So but if he said, hey, who are the guys so far? I think Bbing and Smith, Tyler Smith have been you know, been just fine for you for those plays.
Speaker 10: Not many complaints from me.
Speaker 7: Again, when you look at him being selected picked in the third round and what he's done so far, he's exceeded expectations. In my eyes, I get it that we need to take it up a notch, but that's not just him, that's the line, the whole line as a whole. We talked about the running game and all that and the help that they need to be able to create those holes for those running backs there, but him specifically, I thought he's done a very good job. And one of my main concerns with him and Tyler that we've talked got in by the way that we talked about last week heading into the I forgot or two weeks ago whenever it was just penalties. I think he's handled that area where he's not making those kinds of mistakes, and for guys like him, rookies, those are things that I personally pay a lot of attention to. Can you minimize mistakes? And now is him getting to that next level of taking it up another notch? But as far as mistake, I think he's kept his game pretty clean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, speaking of guy, I've noticed that he's had quite a few pressures he's given up in Week one and week two, And I heard this this morning.
Speaker 4: It kind of puts it in context. For both these guys.
Speaker 6: This is the first time in their careers that they're playing the positions that they're playing significant Yeah, and it's in the NFL versus real competition. So when you think about it from that standpoint, I'm like, both these guys are ahead of where they should be at this point. I don't think either one of them is killing you to the point where it's a problem. And yes, they have some areas they have to improve on, but I think you're getting enough from them to where you should feel positive about where they're gonna be half the year, this year, by the time you get to the end of this year, and then going into next year, which is really the thing. It's a long term game on these two guys. But let's talk about Tyler Geyton. Now, what have you seen from him and do you do you think he's moving in the right direction? Are you all concerned about the number of pressures that he's allowing.
Speaker 3: For me personally, know just given the size of the competition that he's gone up against these first two weeks. And I think the thing that we were concerned about the most at points during training campus, Okay, how is he going to account for power rushers? Sure, and when you look at Miles Garrett, Carl Granderson, Cameron Jordan, and those guys that he had to go up against these past two Sundays, you like what you see. I mean, absolutely, the penalties are at least a note at this point, I'm not going to call it a concern because it's only two games. He's tied for fourth in the NFL for offensive lineman penalties. But I think going forward there's still a lot of I think you see him increase in areas of his game every single week, and when you look at week two versus Week one, Week one was definitely the better overall picture. But I think there are some things in Week two, like the hands are starting to come in just a little Biteah, they're not, They're not as wide. His feet are moving off the ball a little bit quicker. And you know, that's what I've always liked, from guiding to his ability to kind of get off and create that separation. But I think I think there's still a lot of things that he can improve on still going towards into the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that week one was survival. That's all that was. That was like, hey, you know, that's fair. I mean that it was just like play.
Speaker 5: The second half of the Saints game kind of looked the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 8: And that's what happens when you when all of a sudden it turns into what it was was a track meet and you have no running game to deal with and have no way. But all you're doing is dropping back and throwing the football and having to you know, and they know you're going to That's how Dallas, when Dallas gets ahead of the game, that's that's what That's what they do to opponents. You know what the New Orleans Saints that just okay, we're gonna rush, You're not going to run the ball. And I think, to me, where the technique has gotten better, the hands have gotten better, He's got to work on the feet. The feet get him in trouble sometimes where he gets but you know, he's also going to work to not getting tired and and and that happens that happens during games. You're just you know, the pressure of every single snap is just huge for these guys, and I think it wears him down at times. And you know, he's he's he's gonna, he's gonna develop mental toughness. You know that he can't take a playoff, you can't rest on a play because you'll you'll get the play blown up if you do. But the technique is getting better, the mental toughness will come along, and I think the kid will be fine. It's just a matter of you know, him having confidence that when he when he sets and gets away from the line, that he's in good shape, that he can get his hands inside and take care of that rusher when it's on his u when it's coming down the middle on him.
Speaker 10: And this is a no brainer.
Speaker 7: But I mean, again, speaking about rookies, you have to take into consideration the aside from hand placement, footwork, that's all gonna come with the experience. But also remember how different the training and everything it is from college to the NFL as far as strength, How much a player from the first year to the second year changes in physical, physical aspect and strength. So I think that's something that's also kind of come along as and it goes hand in hand with what Brian is saying, being out of breath, being tired. They're gonna get used to that the more and more they do it. But with that, in that same token, he's gonna get more strength, same with Bebi having being the one that has now the most power in the line when facing these defensive players. So I think they're gonna keep getting better as the sea and goes along, but hopefully it comes with Cowboys wins, because I think when you start losing these games and you're just constantly getting beaten down, that's when you just all get what's the word I'm looking for, just tire and worn down and it just starts weight. Yeah, and it's just it carries a different weight. So it's just harder to overcome those things when you're not winning games and constantly getting thrown on the ground or losing those battles. So hopefully, with that being said, my point is hopefully they win this weekend.
Speaker 8: You know the thing about real quick though, the thing with BB they've got, they're gonna have their hands full with those guys inside. These are big, big men that they're going to be dealing with and you know how he plays. They they don't need to give up anything inside. They need to be sound in the middle and make sure they handle the edges in this thing. But they're they're going to bb is going to be dealing with a lot of power inside, and he's a strong guy too, and this will be this will be a good test for them.
Speaker 3: I know that you had said you had some concern about uh Oway, but do you have more concerns about the interior or the edge guys here in this game?
Speaker 5: For me, it's the interior.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that to me with well, considering that I think I saw Away, you know, Colton Miller. I was watching him with the Raiders and stuff, a veteran left tackle, and he kind of took him to task, and I was a little bit worried about about, you know, with Geyton on that edge, if all of a sudden, this guy gets into a little bit of a you know, gets into a rhythm, you know. And but but the middle, the middle is I think your better players are in the middle. I mean, I think you're better, Your better players are in the middle of this of the offense. So yeah, I think that edge with Oway I I just I don't want him to get into a rhythm. And if Dallas can't run the ball and it turns into Dak having to throw it thirty five times, I don't need to him to have three and a half sacks in this game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's part the worries you is that if Dallas turns it into a game with having to throw a lot, Yeah, then that just exposes Geyton even more. It puts a lot of pressure on all those guys and still figure it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I will say one thing that I would really like to see Dak work on if pressure does start get getting.
Speaker 5: To him and this game, get out of there. Get out of there.
Speaker 3: He didn't get out of there enough against the Saints. That was one of the first things that he said in his press availability on after the game on Sundays. He was like, one of the things I know I can correct is kind of get out and use my legs a little bit more. He was like, I did a really good job of that last year, but I didn't quite do that today. And so I think if pressure starts to get to him earlier in the game, hopefully he's able to use that athleticism.
Speaker 6: It'll definitely slows down the defensive rush if you get out of there and make.
Speaker 5: Them pay for it, makes them think twice at the very least.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, all right, we're gonna we'll be back.
Speaker 10: What happened?
Speaker 7: What happened to these calls, mister advocate, advocate of the fans?
Speaker 6: When I was, when I got into that third segment, I knew, I knew I was. It was like's gonna talk the whole segment and we're not gonna get.
Speaker 10: In patially waiting here with the fans.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Ready next time.
Speaker 6: Next time, I'll figure out how to get Amber to shorten her, be a little more concise with her answers, and we'll get to some calls.
Speaker 2: I see her looking at me.
Speaker 5: It'mates it is.
Speaker 7: You didn't say you can tell where I'm looking up with these glasses.
Speaker 5: I'm looking by the way.
Speaker 6: We know Amber, so we know what's going on behind those glasses, right, all right, appreciate you guys, go us moving back tomorrow. We'll wrap this thing up. Get you guys ready for Cowboys versus Ravens. So then for Nick Harris and Brian brought us in Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Eild and this has been.
Speaker 4: The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.