Speaker 1: This is Jeb Terry. This is Jebby and this is the NFL Players Second Acts Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Peanut too Mean and this is the NFL Players Second Acts Podcast.
Speaker 3: And with me, as always, my choice is Sidekick the Deacon Roman harping us up.
Speaker 2: Baby. I appreciate it. Thank you so much, Peanut.
Speaker 3: That was actually a normal intro to me and I appreciate that you don't ever do that. So with all that being said, I want to thank all of our listeners and the people that watch us all the time.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Wherever you get your podcasts, whether it's Apple podcast, iHeartRadio podcasts, please continue to give us a review five stars and tell a friend to make sure they hit the follow hit the review, write it all down. My man Thomas will answer all your questions.
Speaker 2: Peanut. Who we got today? We got a going guys. He was in the two thousd and for.
Speaker 3: Draft, drafted by Tampa Bay, played three seasons. He's killing it in the business for it. He's a tech guru. That's why he's the ero CEO of COSM. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the show podcast. Jeb Terry.
Speaker 1: Hey, I got to be here.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: You know what I like about Jeb is that the moment he sat down, he said, Okay, who do I gotta beat?
Speaker 2: All right, just get it. Petition is the one who we beating. Who I gotta be Who's at the top of the show.
Speaker 1: That's that's what we're running for, right.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: You gotta find competition.
Speaker 2: Man, Hey, I like it. I like it. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: Where are you from? I'm here some some that that accident? What what what is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, grew up in Dallas, Texas, and so my god, you know part of Dallas? What part of Dallas?
Speaker 1: Just North Dallas in area up there, proper group in Lakewood. Yeah, I'm a Carpers Cove Waco Temple there is. I'm a Central Texas, Yeah, Passes. That place has changed.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a lot booming right, Yeah, Yeah that's me. Yeah, that's a Texas has the best football room. They go sign that for sure. We're killing Alabama high school football.
Speaker 1: No chance, Florida, get out of here. In California, get out of here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing Calabama y'all doing right now is like fighting on riverboats.
Speaker 2: That's all y'all got right now. That's all y'all doing.
Speaker 1: We didn't realize this was what was going to happen. I'm here for We.
Speaker 2: Will accept that. We will openly accept that. Now.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this, as far as high school football is concerned in Texas, and I listened to all the scouts from ESPN and the people I work with on my SEC nation and network, they say, you know what, Texas football players are great. They're really really good. But they're usually the same player that you get in high school. They're going to kind of be that they're kind of maxed out because they've been getting coached up doing the same thing since like sixth grade. Versus Florida, some other athletes from other places, they probably have a bigger runway and maybe a higher ceiling purely because like they're a little bit or raw, you know, versus Texas. You guys do such a great job of coaching them since fifth grade. Hey, I'm coming from Carolina, where the ceiling is the roof. Yeah, I mean, I don't know if Jordan out there, but I gotta tell you what, man, there's there's no ceiling for Texas football right now. We're growing up there. The competition is real from day one, Yes it is. And you're playing quick. Yeah, you're playing it like Pop Warner, Like you guys are tackling early, like they're out there early six years old.
Speaker 1: This is what's going I didn't play that early, but I wanted to, that's.
Speaker 2: For sure, I know I did. I idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's just get we'll talk about football. Well, let's get the first one out the way.
Speaker 2: We love to know. What was your first welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 1: Got it? So?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: The Bucks drafted me right coming off that that Super Bowl team and O two and I come in and there's guys like Derek Brooks, you know, Mike Alstott, you know, guys you look up to. And mine was just in practice, right, all of a sudden, I find myself blocking Derek and all start cuts behind me, and You're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh wow, this is this is the real deal.
Speaker 1: The guys I've been watching, all these guys have been watching for forever, man, you know, And that was one of the things. It's just like dis an appreciation for the skill and the talent that these guys had because it wasn't like I was going into a team that was rebuilding. The team wasn't up and coming. This team was established and that defense at the time was league's best. And we had some guys that you followed for a long time, and that was always something that was incredible to me. You don't play in that room. What were those practices? Like hot they still don't have an indoor man, Tampa, Now they do. Now Tampa's got one?
Speaker 2: Do they finally have?
Speaker 1: And I was at Old One Buck when we were there, and I don't know, you fly in and the airplanes came right over the top of that practice facility. Man, it was. And I had come from Carolina where he had just redone the whole Keenan Football Center and the whole deal. So we had these great facilities at Carolina and I was like, all right, going to the.
Speaker 2: NFL, it's better. No.
Speaker 1: Old One Buck was not that, But man, a lot the practices were intense because the guys were all pros. Everyone on that team was a pro. Same and Rice, Ron Day, Booger, McFarlane, all stot, I mean, just.
Speaker 2: Excuse me.
Speaker 1: We had Ron Day and then you had you know, Gruden was the coach, and he had you know, guys like Ron Middleton, tight ends coach Morris, you know those coach that coaching tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, you're like these guys that coaching trees. Wow.
Speaker 1: You looking around the NFL right now and these guys are all still doing it at a big.
Speaker 2: Scale, really big scale.
Speaker 1: And that that that team, the coaching staff, everybody came to the came to the room and works and it's uh, it was awesome to be part of that organization.
Speaker 3: Now, your career ended a little short. Low, Yeah, it isn't a little short, but and I know you probably still wanted to play.
Speaker 2: Like what was your what was your best memory was of your I.
Speaker 1: Will say on an intro we said three years, I got five. I got five all the way I.
Speaker 3: Apologize, Yeah yeah, I apologie.
Speaker 2: However you get there? Does that?
Speaker 1: I know I had one which I had gotten heard and did the whole injury settlement thing that when I was coming back. So you know, look, my career was one where I got close to being really really good and then some things got in the way, and you know, things happened in the NFL. I got heard I wasn't playing great, and it was pretty obvious to me where I wasn't playing up to the standard that I knew I could play. And so I'd gone to the forty nine ers in my last season and I tore a planer fascia and again just wasn't playing good football. And it was pretty obvious when they cut me. It's one of those things where they go a Jeb, need you.
Speaker 2: To talk to you.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, yeah, I get it right. It's that's actually one of the things I missed about playing football is the transparent nature of feedback, Like you know, when.
Speaker 3: You are not plus plus league.
Speaker 1: Ye, it's clear, and it was. It was pretty clear to me, and I tried to hang on for a little bit, had a few workouts that last season. Fortunately i'd taken the g maat right the NBA test and and wasn't a good enough position to apply to a few schools, And it was kind of had to make it decision where where I knew I wasn't playing the level I wanted to play at and and I didn't know if I could get back there. You know, when you were playing really good and the game's moving slow and you feel good, and so kind of made that decision and year five that it was I had to move on and go chase that second act and and you know, we went back to Hill to make the act better than the first.
Speaker 2: Went back to Hill, did I did?
Speaker 1: I went back to Chapel. I looked a lot of places, and I had my oldest daughter at the time. It was two thousand and eight, market crashed, I got cut and my first kid was born, and it's like whoa the trip It was real fast, right, you know, And so I was like, all right, get back to get back to business school, regroup, refresh, figure out that next step.
Speaker 3: And so you're the CEO of your company, cause them and I want you to be able to share with everybody else. And it's spilled coe s M, s M, and now be able what does it bring to the fans and tell kind of explained what it is. I tried to read up on it and it looks really really cool in the web technical and I was just like, we're not going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even try it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. It's one of those things where you go to like an event or cocktail party and someone asked, what do you do? Yeah, you know, you don't even want to tell them. Sometime that's gonna take a while.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, This makes me feel a lot better. Now.
Speaker 1: Look what we're what we're setting out to do is the most incredible fan viewing experience I think to ever hit the industry. You know, I was fortunate I had a few seats along the way as a you know, mobile video platform, a company I started got bought by Fox Sports when worked at Fox for a long time, where I met a bunch of the guys in and around this office as well and learned a lot from them, and then moved on, Oh, you're.
Speaker 3: Definitely hamming it up with all the guys earlier. This is where you know all of them from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got some stuffing, you know what I mean. But at the end of the day, it's like combining all the stuff that I was able to learn when I was at those seats and then leaning into some super kind of advanced technology that's happening. That's you know a lot of people aren't going to be seeing for a number of years, but it's combining that to super serve the fan and give them that all access seat that you never had.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So everyone has heard about virtual reality and how you put on a headset and it's like you're actually at the game, right, And you can do that and it's pretty cool, but you miss the energy, the vibe, the whole scene and the environment. And that's what we're about. A cosm, is why I leverage all that technology to power those experiences, but I bring it at a scale to where you are in that environment with hundreds and hundreds of fans and you can high five and you can cheer, and it's the same environment like you're actually at the game itself. And we do it in a live format at super high resolution, and we can literally transport fans to that best seat, whether it's court side, pitch side, fifty yard line, you name it. I can take them there. And it is as an undescribable thing. And we have to be patient with that, right, And we talk about patients a lot, and we have to be willing to be misunderstood until we launch, and that's kind of part of it and being resolute in that mission. And we're opening up our first venue here I don't know, two hundred yards away just from here. It's a sixty five thousand square foot facility and it is going to blow your mind. It is one of the most incredible technological advancements I think I've seen in my career and the team around it developing this bringing us to life is the most amazing experience that I think has hit the industry in a long time now.
Speaker 3: The pandemic hit a lot of people hard a few years back, and a lot of companies went Bailey up and whatnot. How hard was it for COSM to get started during the pandemic, and it was It was interesting. It was We saw a trend in the industry prior to it, the watch party phenomenon. Everyone wants to go and hang out and the game together really prevalent with World Cups, you know, and you got to see the soccer fans and then the Premier league fans and that started to expand, and you get the Deer District right in Milwaukee, and you got Jurassic Park with the Raptor. Yeah, that was a thing that was happening. And I think the pandemic kind of shined the light on the fact that we as humans we want connectivity, we want the energy of the crowd. Us being here is way better than like a zoom podcast. Zoom right is tough. Well a sudden we did this. It's like, yeah, this is it, this is like, this what we need.
Speaker 1: This is what we wanted to do. We want we want the juice energy, right, and so you think about that human connectivity and that's what our business is all about. And so we were able to buy companies up. And one of the companies we bought was a big was a public company. We took a private That was on April sixth, twenty twenty, so week three of the pandemic, right, that was when it was gnarly. But then the pandemic created opportunities to be capital efficient with our acquisition strategy. We bought a few more companies, we rolled them up. Now it created you know, really difficulties in managing and distributed workforce around the world via zoom. Now, I'm an in person guy by nature, and it's hard to express that. But we were able to fight through it, and you know, at the end of the day, I think it hardened us.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: If you look through the history of some of the great companies that were founded, they got they got founded in downturns or in crises, things like that. And you know, it's a mix of being opportunistic, finding the right opportunities and people changed their frame of reference and looked for different things, right, whether that's building a team. People had to doferent perspectives like, man, I want to do something fun, right, I want to do something that excites me, something that's like next cutting edge. And you're able to offer those opportunities and I actually think it would ended up it's going to end up being part of our big narrative of of how our company was built.
Speaker 3: Now you're also you guys are looking to expand in in Dallas. You're going to build their doubt we're at in Dallas and are you are you going to try and base it around like the arena almost like what you're talking about with the buck zone or the what the raptors have outside there, because you know we look at it and you talked great example is the World Cup when those when you see Argentina win, it.
Speaker 2: All like going grace, It's like right there, that was like to bring that.
Speaker 3: To the fans no matter where it will be, I think it will be a unique, unique experience.
Speaker 2: And that's the moment.
Speaker 3: And people don't understand, like sports gives us this emotion that you can't get everywhere else. Then last second shot that last second field goal, that games and whatever. It's this emotion that you don't get doing anything else.
Speaker 1: You don't get it. And it's the ability to high five and be around fans that are sharing in that joy, you know, in high five and someone you've never met or never know, test bumping, you know, fist bump, whatever it is. It's that energy, and so we want to deploy that at a massive scale. So we've announced our one here. We've announced our one in North Texas. So there's are called Frisco, which I.
Speaker 2: Said that, I said, I bet it's in Frisco.
Speaker 1: So where we are I would say we are in the colony, which is Frisco adjacent if you want to say anything. But it's all in North Texas here at a entertainment district called Grandscape, so it's a mixed use entertainment district. But that strategy is further away from the venues in Arlington, from the stadiums, and so here we are stadium adjacent right in the mix, always shoulder programming, organic when the team's on the road, come watch it. Causem that type of energy with a lot of traffic and demand and the pre the post entire programming slate in Texas. You look at it for the fans that can't get to the arena, that it's too far to get to, and offering that amenity there. And it's the hire day part, whether it's showing Premier League games in the morning, rolling into the NBA in the evening, everything in between. And you've got UFC pay per views and you have all the program on the weekend. You can fill a content counter real fast, and it's all live and so it's always new, always fresh, and you're gonna come to Cosmic to see it at all.
Speaker 3: I know you partnered with UFC in July, and I know fans got to experience like something one of a con experience.
Speaker 2: Can you can you talk about that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So every time we announce a big deal, we have a media day where we bring up you know, the league, the federation, whoever we partner with, and then we bring up all their media. Uh So we did a did one big, a dead one, did a big one. Yeah, I was, where is he going?
Speaker 2: Is he digging work? Now?
Speaker 1: So we went we did we did one one the NBA around their All Star game in Salt Lake. That's where we have a big demo facility and then we hosted the UFCS as well after we announced that, And it's just about bringing the people in and seeing what we're talking about. This is us see it to believe it, right, which is right. It's inherently hard to market and promote, but once they're in, it's just going to give them dulously shareable. We talk about this thing called the viral coefficient right where it's when someone experiences your product, your tech, your food, what all, they just want to share about it. They want to post, they want to drive more awareness. And we think ours is really big because we've seen it. When people come, all they want to do is film and say they were there. And so that's that's part of the of what we're doing, is we share this out. And you mentioned that the energy is sport and fandom and all that stuff. That's the business we deal in. And there's nothing better because we all self select and say I want more Saints gear, I want more Bears gear, I want more Bucks gear. All the fans are out there saying that I want more, and so if we can always position to super serve that fan and give them what they want, we have a chance.
Speaker 3: How many people can you fit in your in the facility. Yeah, son, five thousand square feet? How many people?
Speaker 1: So right here the total capacity is two thousand people in this and so you get a good energy and just bring on my phone because I got to show you the video. There's no other way to do it than to show you what we're looking at right here. So this is what we built up in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 2: So can you describe it what we're looking at.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're walking into our office here. We call it the Experience Center and this is where we preping onboard you and then all of a sudden you go into the dome and it is that transformative experience. So this is an eight k twenty meter diameter led dome that is crystal clear and puts you there. We have a spatial audio system so when the pin drops, it's in the upper ninety. When the ball hits the net, you know where it is. Then you level that up with a elevated hospitality, hit great f and b, elevated foods. You can hear his head hit the mat in this thing, and you have the energy of the crowd. And we do all this live live, and so these are the things our teams did from producing the Olympics to producing the World Cup to going around the world and doing this in a live format. I can now bring that at scale to give fans that best seat in the house no matter what it is. We leverage a linear feed and it over top so you get the color commentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's really the best of at home and the best of in stadium experience, and it is. We think it's truly one of the kind in a category defining thing.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. So when do we get one in Chicago? I like that thing right there?
Speaker 1: Hey, we're looking, we're looking. I got when do we get one in Chicago? Let me do some looking when I get on my plane to night.
Speaker 3: So, Jeff tell me this, How would this go along with a Super Bowl experience? Like, how would you guys be able to do that? Just understanding you know, yeah, I mean you're a football guy. Yeah, so doubt How are we going to scale this in football terms? You have no doubt here. I know you're going to show everything, But how would this compare to an in game Super Bowl experience versus what you're bringing to the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the promise of what we're bringing is it is a complimentary experience to being in the stadium. We are never going to take that place, correct, That is a sacred environment. I appreciate you saying, you know, there's no way we can ever replace that. What we want to do is offer fans who might not be in that city, who might not be able to get there, who who wanted to try to experience something as close to it as possible. That's the offering we're trying to give them. And we endeavor to have the second best Super Bowl experience in the world, as opposed from being there in itself.
Speaker 2: Right right again, you said it, I mean, I mean it's.
Speaker 1: It's are insane. Look it's it's it's definitely an intricate puzzle and it takes a lot of patience to go through it and navigate with leagues, federations, broadcasters, all the partners, all the rights holders, and our whole approach is you have to be additive. You got to be you got to make the pie bigger. We aren't cannibalizing any existing distribution outlet. And that's our approach.
Speaker 2: That's that's so smart.
Speaker 1: And have a partnership minded approach the entire time. And you know, hopefully pulling some heart strings, is you know, being on the field in certain situations too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. You got this experience growing pretty quickly though just from the video you've seen, like I I assume you you expect tremendous growth pretty quickly with with what would you.
Speaker 1: Just Yeah, we're we're excited about it. So we're opening to next year. We have big ambitions. We're going to be announcing a few more sites later this year, a few more league partners, some broadcast partners, and and so the momentum is real. And one of the things I like to talk about with our company is, you know, when you deal in the in the in the business or the tech world, you know there's not everyone's been on a team, and not everyone knows how important momentum can be. You know, when you're on a winning streak, right, how do you capture it? How do you keep it? How do you keep everybody juiced up? And that's that's what we try to do here every time we every time we get a win, you got to celebrate that win definitely, and then forget it and get to the next one, you know what I mean. And so we we just try to keep that momentum going. We've got it now, we've got the juice and we're trying to just maintain it.
Speaker 2: Right now, Do you have any plans to do anything international?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. We look at the international markets, especially with the distribution from US based sports internationally a lot of interest. Right. We've got the NFL over in London and the rest of Europe and all the interests there. You've got the NBA going globally as well, and then in Germany too. In Germany it's a it's a it's a big spot. And then additionally you have international sport coming here, right, whether it's Premier League, Champions League, you look at cricket, that's a massive sport.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing day part for us too, right because those usually on different hours where you don't have prime time US sports, and so internationally is part of our footprint. One of the companies we acquired, actually it's going to be weird, is the biggest planetarium company in the world. So we power over seven hundred planetariums globally. We have forty two in China, and so part of our core business is delivering that. If you saw that video, you see where that heritage comes into play, and it's all that expertise that they have in that space. And that gets to where the word cosm comes from. It's where cosmos meets the coliseum. And so being able to take that same amazing core tech and apply it to that live sports and entertainment opportunity.
Speaker 3: Now, now that you're saying all those things takes me to where I'm in North Carolina, man Charlotte, and I'll go to the Vincent van Go experience and it's kind of like you're in this whole room. They're going through all these different things and they're pulling it all up in And when I looked at you guys video, you guys are like inside the ring octagon for M and a fighter. And so give me that because the music I think you guys is. Of course the texts way better, but is it. Can you kind of draw the connection for me or really disassociate the connection that I'm drawing in my head?
Speaker 1: Well, what I want to say is what the immersive van go industry, it's called industry. It's location based entertainment in the experience economy as a whole, right, it's booming. I mean that is something that is done incredibly well, whether it's Van Go or Monet or.
Speaker 2: They just pick it up in movies, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or any of these different entertainment experiences. And it's about this this convergence of art and science and all these other genres with immersive technology. And we think it's a great baseline and it's and it's proven, there is a demand, and what we focus on is how do we we look at that consumer habit and then apply it to live sports and merge that with fandom. And we treat every patron like a fan and that could be a fan of sport, but it calls me a phantom, music, science, art, whatever may be. And our job is to make sure our tech is the best in the world that can then drive that experience and give them something an amazing time and hopefully they spend time with us.
Speaker 2: That's the goal.
Speaker 1: If someone shares their time at COSM, then we're winning. And then you know, that's what we try to do. And again, the biggest differentiator is the live format and the fact that we own all the tech stack and there's a lot of stuff around it, but it's an exciting time.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a short break and we'll be right back. All right. So you've been a CEO for what twelve fifteen years now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh yeah, from small companies to bigger ones. Yeah, highs and lows and everything.
Speaker 3: But I want to ask another question about that. But how would you rate yourself? You talked about getting critiqued and all these other things. How do you critique yourself? And how do you stay hungry? I mean, number one, you got to feed everybody at your company too. But tell me how do you what do you see yourself? How do you grade yourself? I'll put it in there, give me the critique. Fifteen do you do? You have it figured out? Are you a vet?
Speaker 2: What like? Are you still like?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm still in the rookie Grind's great question? Man.
Speaker 1: So look, in my first act as an AL player, I wanted to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just put it out there.
Speaker 1: That's my goal. I clearly missed, you know. And I tell people on my team, I go, I got fired for my dream job twice. Like they didn't casually let me go and give me severance. They said, Jeb, you suck, right, I mean, And so as I try to think back on kind of that experience those notes, the opportunities I had there, you try to apply that scarcity to every opportunity I have in the business world, right, And by doing that, I think you you understand that every opportunity can be fleeting if you're not devoting your time, you know your spirit and frankly, with with what we're building at COSM, I got to give it everything I got, and as I continue to mature as a CEO, I try to learn along the way. I mean, you know, the being a CEO of a small startup that's doing a mobile video platform is very different than being the CEO where I am now, which is to me be very different from them. We're a big public company and we're global and I've got venues all over the world, right, And so look, it's it's I think I'm good at my job. Let's say that I'm confident in my abilities. I think I have a long way to go to improve and I try to bring on either team members that work with me to help me get better and fill my blind spots. Right, you can't be a master of it all, and I do think from a team building perspective, that's where I try to focus on and excel on is building a team, Like, for example, I have three stools in the business cosm, tech, cause of media, cousin venues. How many real divisions are on a football team, offense, the defense teams? Right, What makes us good at our job is that corporate support staff, the training room, the equipment room, all the guys that are out there helping us be excellent at our job. Like I try to think of our corporate function as in making our stars be their absolute best, right, that's my job. Set the vision, resource the hell out of team, make sure they have all the tools they need and then let them run right and make sure we get that alignment. And we've tried to set up the organization a little bit that way, Like you know, offensive coordinator, that's my head of venues, right, defensive coordinator that's my head of technologies. Right, special teams, that's my head of media. And you try to set that up that way. And you know, I don't know if you guys feel this, but when you look at at a coaching staff and a coaching tree, you'll look at guys and be like, man, that guy's running the organization like a CEO of a business. That's the best one. You know what I mean, He's he surrounded his staff are all studs, you know what I'm saying. He's one of those coordinators run they're all sudden. They let them run. They're not micromanage. And look, I don't want to be over correlative Is that the word? Like correlate the experiences? But that mattered to me, and and I think I try to learn from that and apply that because people always ask, you know, what do you learn in football that makes you good in the business world? Right? How do you get from A to B? And you just got to find those notes of performance teams and try to bring it that way. And so long winded answer man of saying I think I'm I think I'm doing pretty well. I think you do know I've got a long way to run. You know, I got a lot to learn. Now.
Speaker 2: I was a pretty good football player at my university. You were, you were okay at Alabama?
Speaker 3: So I was, I was. I was pretty decent at my team. And I never had an award named after me. So can you tell can you can you tell the people what the Jeb Terry Beast Mode Award is?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: You know that that there's there's a lot of ways you can get an award named after. I like to think it was all from my skill on the football field, you know, but look, it's it's I don't know if I had a reputation or not as an old linement there, but I was an energetic, high energy guy. And you know, I was one of those guys that like to get fired up before the game. And you know, I'm a I'm a helmet beater. I'm one of those guys. I'm not a quiet guy in the corner salt and I'm a helmet beater. I'm get him going.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Uh, some people like it, some dope, but that's probably where it came from. I was pretty good in college, you know. I was able to do some good things. And I love Carolina. I love the tar Heels. And by the way, expecting the big year from my guys, they should. They got to win the first may sling it. We got to win the first one.
Speaker 3: You've got to win the first one. I think that's going to really talk about everything. The first game is North Carolina versus South Carolina and Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium. It's going to be a big one and those teams, those two teams are not rivalries.
Speaker 2: But they don't like you. Come on, they don't like you. You know, you know.
Speaker 1: Look, we've got Sam Howe slinging it for the commanders now, QB one, yes, right, Just gotta know that guy's a stud. Drake may now coming through. They're saying he's the best in the nation. By the way. I don't know if you all ever met him yet, but impressive, impressive young man.
Speaker 3: I watched him in high school at Myers Park. I live in park right there in Charlotte. So yeah, y all the way around. So we feel good about it as tarhell fans excited about where it goes. You just, guys, guys gonna get a couple of stops on defense.
Speaker 1: Tell me we looked a part. I'm going to tell you we've got some. We've got some four and five stars out there.
Speaker 3: You're halfway there, halfway there, were there looking the part.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Carolina blue is the best best color in the country. So if you guys can get behind me on that, we can get along.
Speaker 2: I like the blue.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna allow the blue is nice because they call it Carolina. When you say Carolina who people know that you know it.
Speaker 2: I agree. I mean, let's just be honest.
Speaker 3: Look, Michael Jordan's related, Michael Jordan really helped you guys outsell it all.
Speaker 2: Let's just be honest.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: However he worked, Tell me all right, which one was harder?
Speaker 3: Being an all academic acc player football player his senior year or putting up twenty seven reps at two twenty five combin. I got nineteen. How did you get thirteen? Thirteen? I got nineteen.
Speaker 1: I got more in the in my pro day. But what's the official number? Yeah, thirty?
Speaker 2: It has got to be at least thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did better in my pro day, but twas seven at the combine. Hey, look, I y'all are gonna laugh at this. I got a lot of sports fans on our team, right, one of my my business vel shut out Peter Murphy, head of our media group, now killing it at the organization on an all hands, pulls up my combine stats and presents it to the entireization, and I was good across the board, have really short arms, right for an old lineman. And that that was the knock. And he gets on. He says, man, our CEO is really good because he's got short arms. But no, I will say, academics was always important to me. It was always something instilled in my family to perform. Yes, you know, wherever I'm going to spend my time, do it well type of thing, and it was important. And so I will say when I went and got my NBA, though, it changed from getting good grades to study and to succeed in in in the real world. And that's a different dynamic.
Speaker 2: Your mind's in a different place. It's in a different place.
Speaker 3: When yeah, when you go back, you're in a totally different place. You got to go back. I'm trying to get him to go back and get his masks. So I'm trying to tell him he don't want to do I have a normal degree, Like, you don't want another one. I don't want you need to get one. You know everybody experience you're going to do. We're going to continue to keep this podcast movement and we're not gonna get stuck in the US.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, you're right, I'll get on one shoulder.
Speaker 3: You don't want to fight, you don't want to do amazing race, you don't want to get your masters.
Speaker 1: We want you to keep growing. I want.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. I appreciate that. Yeah, to take all this like into consideration. Okay, keep your grades up, my man. And uh, but I would say this, what made you choose you know you're from Texas? Yeah, what made you choose Chapel Hill over University of Texas Texas A and m Sup Harve Because I heard you got it off.
Speaker 1: It was the only ride I got, you know, unknown guy coming out of high school. I showed up, you know mech then's the summer camp matter? Yeah, you didn't have all the recruiting stuff that's going on now. It's hard to get known. I went to a military school in Indiana for high school, and I always like Carolina I mean, shout out Jordan for I'm telling you this being a Texas kid knowing nout to Carolina Blue, and I was like, let's go check it out near They had a good bus in school and went to camp and they were like, who are you right? Like, where'd you come from? I go, well, I'm from Texas, but I played football at military school Indiana and it's basically you want a scholarship type of thing, you know. I was playing d line at the time, thought I was an athlete. Still think I'm an athlete, but you know, got pushed over. But yeah, and then you know, they saw potential in me and they offered me, which was fantastic. They gave me a shot to play d line when I came in, and I did my first year before I got hurt and loved every minute of it. And you know, I looked at Texas. It would have been great to go there. If they would have given me a ride. It would have been a hard decision. Yeah they didn't. You know, Harvard was fantastic, but I didn't think it offered the football I wanted at the time, even you know, and uh, I looked at Carolina being the best of both worlds. To be honest, I had a great business school again there top ten undergrad business school, great brand. We were just coming off those years when dray Bli was there. I mean we were, you know, top five in the country. Mack was there just previously before I went to Texas, so there was we were still riding really high.
Speaker 2: And the DC the Yeah, of course he coached me in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coach coach forbus is the man.
Speaker 3: I love how you can yell get all angry and never cursed, never cursed, never never.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you guys got them all call you meet yeah, meet hey. Yeah, you know coach Horbus was there and you know, a lot to love about Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Fortunate for the opportunity.
Speaker 3: So tell me this before you ask your last question or I know you're going to come off the dome with something hot, So think about it for a second.
Speaker 2: All right, I want to know this.
Speaker 3: How many acquisitions have you had and how many exits have you had? And what do I mean by that is like how many businesses have you bought up and acquired? Always think this is an incredible stat This is like looking on the back of your baseball car Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, Jeff Terry, how.
Speaker 1: About fired twice from his dream job? Yeah, let's get that. That's the start fired twice dream job for the first startup that we did. And you know my guy Ryan Nice, you know, yes, he's one best friend and co founder of the first business we did. Oh wow, so we we we had we sold that business, went to Fox Sports and did it there started another business that was a failure, flat out learned a lot from it, you know what I mean. Yeah, the partnership dynamic wasn't wasn't wasn't right, and it didn't work out. And then with his next business founded this other one, invested in a number of businesses that did well between then and now, and then recently have bought essentially three companies uh major acquisitions, but with a few tuck ins underneath that as well, and have a few more to go. And look, we have a big, big vision for this one man. This is cosm. Is a we say, it's category defining, right, It's these things where it is just a cosm. And I think we have an opportunity here to totally change the dynamic of the sports industry. And we're seeing the industry tend to agree, which is exciting. You know, it's been a lot of work, a whole lot of work, but this is a good one. I'm excited to hear a lit more about that Mount Rushmore. Four presidents are on this big mountain somewhere in the in the Dakotas.
Speaker 2: Since South Dakota, Oh, okay, South Dakota, I said, Dakota's well, South Dakota. Now I'm just there. Will you let me Why?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Why is it cool? Thomas can I fire HNDS cool. It's like, hey, bigger than partnership.
Speaker 2: Is not working.
Speaker 3: Partnership is not working. This partnership is not working. You keep cutting me off. Everything I pitched to you, you you shoot it down. Oh my god, I need a new partner. Look you come on, I need a new partner. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the Dakotas South Dakota. I've had people in my life. I'm not self made. I've had a lot of people like help me my failures.
Speaker 3: They've they've critiqued me, They've molded me, they've they've they've shaped me.
Speaker 2: Who's on your personal mount rushmore?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? Four people? That's a good question.
Speaker 1: Four people.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's off the cuffs of I don't even any prep work for that either. That's that's one. You gotta get a lot of.
Speaker 2: Thought about freestyle. Man, That's what I did.
Speaker 1: Do you have yours?
Speaker 2: I do, but I'm not on the hot seat. Yes I do.
Speaker 1: Look, uh one was my dad hundred percent, you know, shape me. Influenced me a lot. And the other one's my mom. Yeah, I mean, there's it's they were the yin and the yang and and helped for me. Who I am? The good, the bad. The in between all of it, you know, really really drove me to pursuit of of where I am now. Oh man, goodness, I'm just gonna throw my wife on there too. It is she's the leader of our family. You know, when I get home, I am in her domain and and it's everything I can to uh do what I can to help her as we run our family. Right, they got three kids, and there's a lot going on, and then the fourth. I mean, goodness, gracious, guys, hmmm, I'm going to reserve the right to come back on that one. I don't know, offhands, there's no way we're not letting you mean, I don't know that I can do it. I don't know that I can do it. I've had a lot of great mentors. Man, you haven't been able.
Speaker 3: You haven't lot lowed down yet since you've been old the States, and all of a sudden said, it's a big one between those between the three I named.
Speaker 1: Stump, I've had some great coaches, some great mentors, some great capital partners. There's been a you know, it's I've been blessed to have a ton of people in my life.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna put it one up don't.
Speaker 1: I think. I don't think that's fair to the others.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, you might. You might have to be make them out.
Speaker 1: You might make it, but then his sisters are going to come out.
Speaker 2: You know what did we go to?
Speaker 1: Man? I'n't be thinking about this all night, you guys. You guys have got me give me yours?
Speaker 2: Oh mine?
Speaker 3: It was it was my mom, my dad, my wife, and then it was my my Actually my high school coach, my high school coach, Bill Clark, because he really changed me. He really taught me a lot of things early. Uh, and everybody else. I mean I could pick a couple professional coaches, but my high school coach really instilled in me a lot and uh for the like, I was not even going to play football.
Speaker 2: I was like going to quit. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they just played basketball and he was like you need to come back either.
Speaker 2: Like play. He came in and changed everything.
Speaker 3: So for me, I was like not even about to be the own basketball basketball Wow.
Speaker 2: So basketball with the Carolina Blue Hey, rest a shirt rest.
Speaker 1: I am terrible at hoops. That guy though, He'll be all right, all right, what about you, peanut?
Speaker 3: Mom dad, I'd say, mom, dad, wife And then a good friend of mine. His name is John Wright. He uh played played in the played football in the sixties, turned business kind of like you, and he just really helped me grow mentally, you know, mind control, not mind control, just controlling my mind and just mental toughness and things like that. So yeah, he great mentor for me. Helped me, you know, motivational speaker and all that. So yeah, those are those are my four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, one of the things I missed the most. Now on the other side of the uh, in the business world, you don't have coaches like you have in football. You don't have Sometimes coaches are tough, right, but they're telling you the plus minus yeah, and then how to get better. And then you've got a team of people that are here to help you get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean versus like you're just out there.
Speaker 1: You're just out there, Like man, this sale cycle is along. It's like do I send another email?
Speaker 2: Close this deal? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, how do you react? And you know it's it's you. You You miss it when you're out of it, right when you're in it. Like, man, this dude is on me, Like the step six inches that way is not going to matter, but I would kill to have someone telling them.
Speaker 3: But that's the beauty of us, though, Like we run toward criticism and that's what makes us who we are. And that's why you're killing it right now. That's why you're so successful in your second act right now, because you're always looking to get better, You're always looking for that criticism. But when you fail, it's like, Yo, what list is that I learned? Because without failure, I can't have success, right.
Speaker 1: Right, every every everyone I've ever had is like it's a cliche, right, Like, there's a failure in everyone I talk about. You know the Instagram line for every like, Hi, there's a you know what's the opposite of Instagram? You know, it's it's there's a there's a low point there every time. Yeah, a lot of people miss that. And anyway, it's true in football, and it's true in the business world, and it's true in all all walks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Jeff Terry, you are the freaking man. Dog appreciate.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see COSM continue to blow up. I can't wait to see the arenas as you continue to put them up all these places. I'm really really looking forward to and I definite you in there. I don't know if i'd be front row, but I'll be standing in there.
Speaker 1: Ready, we'll get you there.
Speaker 2: Want to go?
Speaker 1: I want to go.
Speaker 2: I want to see ready to go?
Speaker 3: Well, anyways, man, thank you guys so much as always tuning in right here on this one.
Speaker 2: Thank you Peanut. Good job. You know how to listen and pay attention all.
Speaker 3: Right anywhere you pick up your podcast, whether it's Apple podcast, iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks as always for tuning in.
Speaker 3: Give us a rating five stars only five star rating. Give us a review. Hit that button, follow man, tell a friend to tell a friend to tell a friend. Jeff Taylor, you're off the hot seat, Peanut, get us out of here on the dog.
Speaker 2: I'm peanuts.
Speaker 1: Willman.
Speaker 3: There's someone waving at the window there. It is my god, right, I can't hear it. You can't hear yeah, hey, but yeah we just saw coach and yeah, I'm Peanut. Jeff Room, my uncle were little Jebbie, Oh and little Jeff.
Speaker 1: You want to get a cameo and a jump little cameo.
Speaker 2: Come on the cary, come on here, turn around right here. You getting right there, right there, right there, right there, we're looking at decade.
Speaker 1: There he is, I'm looking at camera.
Speaker 2: Sorry, getting right over there. Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: See boom, there we go. Five stars, say give him five star.
Speaker 2: Five stars, five stars. We'll see all later. Hey taking players act? What up? How are us