Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode contains spoilers for the finale of Skeleton Crew and the whole series in general, so watch that before you listen to this. Hellop and I'm rosy night and welcome back to x Ray Vision of the podcast where we done thee dear favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from my Heart podcast where we're bringing you three three three episodes a week every Tuesday Thursday, with an extra episode on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Exciting. In today's episode, we are covering the finale of Star.
Speaker 3: Wars Skeleton Crew?
Speaker 2: Do the kids survive? Is Jo a bad guy? What's going on in attin? All these questions and more will be answered.
Speaker 1: Let's get right to it, Okay, Episode eight, the finale the real good Guys. We pick up right after the end of the previous episode. Jod with his lightsaber ignited for some reason, is like pretending to be the new Republic emissary. He greets the parents, He gives them a big lecture about how bad their kids have been, and they're in trouble and security is very important, as you know on ad Adam, and so these kids should be grounded immediately and confined to their homes.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: They can't go out because, you know, you just be lucky that they're not in bigger trouble. Fern at this point makes it a little too obvious that she's not going to being not good at it.
Speaker 2: She's being like tough and I'm like, babe, just like pretend to go.
Speaker 3: Go along to ghet along.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She like is clearly signaling with her eyes to her mom, I'm under secretary of Farah and all this other stuff, trying to say with gestures and with looks like hey, something's wrong here. So John is like, you know what Fern and Pharah want, don't you come with me and let's go meet the supervisor. Wendell takes Wim home, where he makes him a sad single dad dinner. It's come on straight out of the microwave. Wendel stand before this episode. But I've gotta say, Wendel, he's not he's not living up to it. I hope Wim will be able to inspire him to be like a more dynamic dad after this. So Wendell is eager for Wim to just get right back to studying for placement exams, and Wim is like, are you fucking kidding me, Like, I just found out that the galaxy is a big, violent, dangerous place filled with lots of different kinds of people and like failed Jedi and the New Republic and X Wing fighters and all this like owls with telescopes and maps all this stuff, and I'm still like processing all of that information, like I can't just like get back to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's an evil guy on our planet trying to take overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, man, like, can you give me a second to try and deal with this?
Speaker 1: And he tries to hint at that, but Wendel is like, don't worry about it. The Supervisor's got this. The Supervisor's great, and he's got this under control.
Speaker 2: And the reason that Wim can't just tell him is because Jod has all the Supervisor droids kind of spying on the family and making.
Speaker 1: Its threatened to kill the parents if they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a very brutal way, said he would call him up.
Speaker 1: So Wim, though, begins plotting to like get Fern back from Jod's clutches. He's walking talking with Neil, but then the droids are just like all over his ass, so it's very hard to do anything. Pharah takes John and Fern up to see the supervisor and guess what's It's like an Arnhem Zola from the Winter Soldier situation, only if Zola was a droid. I guess the whole time.
Speaker 3: Like a whole time, like a giant one eyed android, one eyed droid slash Ai. Maybe I'm taking this as that we were right. I think we can ring the bell we were right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guessed he was a droid very how from two thousand and one with that big red blinking eye. And yeah, that is not a surprise, especially because it seems like the whole and is kind of running on an automated system where all the humans just do whatever the droids.
Speaker 3: Say, and now we know why because the supervisor is a droid.
Speaker 2: Also, Farah does not seem surprised he's a droid. So I guess they knew that, the parents obviously, and they.
Speaker 3: Think it's great. They I love this.
Speaker 1: So the supervisor sniffs out that John is a pirate for a variety of reasons. One he's acting really kind of evil and scary. Two he said he was a Jedi, and the last that at Aton heard was the Jedi were all traders. So the last time they've heard about Jedi was around the time of Lord is sixty.
Speaker 2: Yes, and when Palpatine sent out that little email, he made sure Yes likes two.
Speaker 3: He's like, hey, CC.
Speaker 1: Everybody on the planets, like.
Speaker 2: Just CC those old Republic gems and just let him know those Jedi who would have bad boys that trait is.
Speaker 1: Also, Jod keeps asking about his other ship and whether he can like break protocol and just have his other ship land. And then also Fern just like yells out he's a pirate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like they're unto him.
Speaker 1: Like, so the supervisor triggers the security protocols, but Jod then stabs the supervisor through the eye and basically brings down the entire global network of power, of infrastructure, of security droids. The whole thing just like shuts down, which is like, why did you bring him all the way up there? They should have there should be like a waiting room and then you can interrogate him from there. Don't let him get close to you.
Speaker 2: What are you doing if your entire system is like a high mind of robots that will be shut down if you stab your big robot in the eye.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a security issue. I'd put like a little.
Speaker 2: Cage over the eye or something, just a little security protocol. But you know what if this is from Order sixty six, but we are in you know, a kind of closer to like a Rise of Skywalker era that is.
Speaker 3: Very old technology as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you know what, sure, But Jod, he did it, He did it, He beat him, And I just have to say so many times throughout this episode, which I did personally love, I felt like they stuck the landing. But to me, I just kept having that same feeling like they are so lucky that they got Jude Law for this role.
Speaker 3: He has got so much emotion, and he can switch between smiley and scary and trustworthy and untrustworthy, and he's just so perfect as this kind of heel turning, face turning pirate who you never know what you're gonna get, and every kind of moment that he was going through this and face acting his horror or his resignedness or his frustration. I was just thinking, if there was any justice in this world, this man would be nominated for awards because he is just so good in this role.
Speaker 1: Jod insists that if under secretary Pharaoh will help him get his ship down, which does not need to include turning off the barrier all the way. You just have to, like whatever, use your navigational network to just open up a path and let my ship come down. He and his pirate friends will simply take credits and leave. There will be no enslaving of the population, none of that's they're not gonna stick around, yeah, or loot the surrounding suburbs. And then so Parah agrees whim. Meanwhile, now back at their house with no power, tells Wendell the truth about Jod and just in that moment, they look up in the sky and here's the pirate cruiser, and the pirate cruiser just immediately begins shelling the area. And it's just like completely mindlessly, Like you see a bus get blown up, you see a cam get blown ups. Family, They almost hit Neil's family. There's no way there are not oh dozens of.
Speaker 3: So many casualties.
Speaker 2: Also, I just want to say, if there is a way that you can allow a ship to come down, surely couldn't they have just sent a ship up with some credits for the pirates. I feel like, don't let them on the planet. Look, I'm a pirate fan. I have to say I was feeling for the pirates in this episode. I do think the pirates get a bad rap. Even though there's a lot of murder. They are working in a different system that's kind of in this outer Rim galaxy politics, like outside of the New Republic. So I don't necessarily, you know, see pirates as some all big bad situation. It's very complex, you know, when you're trying to struggle out there with no Republic credits.
Speaker 3: But don't let them on the planet, guy.
Speaker 1: You kid, don't let them, especially when credits without any kind of provocation at all. They're just like get their cannons off, like at that publication. Okay, So Whim, Fern and Neil show up at excuse me, Fern and Neil and KB show up at Whim's house and they're like, here's the plan. We go to our ship and we get out into the atmosphere. We send a message to the bird lady Kim with all the maps, and we have her contact the X Wing pilot. Good guys, and then they come and save the day. So they race off to do this with Wendell in tow and he's like not happy about it.
Speaker 2: He's on his little uh on his little speeder bike that he got from a random passer by, and the speeder bike seeing here where they're kind of going through the darkened streets of Attain.
Speaker 3: Very easy, very good, very fun.
Speaker 1: Next thing, you know, though, the pirate invasion is really intensifying. They're rounding up civilians. Now they're looting the areas. They're like invading homes.
Speaker 3: It's bad.
Speaker 1: Wendell figures out after they get to their ship, there's a chase. The kids get to the ship. They evade the pirates. They get to the ship, but the ship can't fly because it doesn't have power and windows, Like, oh, I know how to get the power. There's a switch. It's up in the supervisor's tower, so we have to go there. Meanwhile, Neil is like, I'm gonna go off to this rooftop superlaser, which I now know is up there because of the civil war planet we were on, and I'm going to use that to cover our our ship when it goes up into orbit. Fern plans to grab. Meanwhile, up in the Supervisor's tower means to grab a blaster from a downdroid. But John is like, sees her whispering with her mom.
Speaker 5: And they're not very good at this. Stop mom, stop plotting the pluting. He's like, stop plotting and listen to this. And he turns on the mic for the PA and he begins addressing the entire planet and he basically says, at at and you are my slaves.
Speaker 3: Now I'm in charge.
Speaker 1: I'm in charge of you work for me. Just keep making credits and no one will be hurt. But basically like, I'm the boss now. Wim arrives at the tower holding a walkie talking and he's like, guess what I just called the X the X Wings I just called The cops are on their way. John's like, oh yeah, what about the barrier? How's the single gonna get through the barrier? And He's like, well, guess what. We're able to get a signal past the barrier because of the crystal of the founder yeshs. John obviously knows that Wim is bullshitting, but he doesn't know that this is a stall play so that Wendel can flip aforementioned power switch. Flips the switch, Kab manages to get there pirate ship up into the sky and up into orbit with this in thirty three's help, He's just ahead now. Meanwhile, John has taken everybody prisoner again. Neil manages to cover kb's escape with the super laser, but then has to retreat because the pirate's begin shooting at the super laser. KB up in orbit, gets the message to Kim, who's like, guess what the X Wings are coming. They'll be there very very fast. She's like, I've been waiting, and I've been waiting for this.
Speaker 3: Look. I love Kim, I love KB.
Speaker 2: I want to support this plan holy but I will say Kim, she sounds pretty excited that they got back to At, and I think she may have ulterior motives, as would I do believe.
Speaker 3: Also that the X Wing New Republics.
Speaker 2: I believe they too may have been looking for At at Tim because they just see him very eager to get there very quickly, and I would be in And also the fact that this episode's called The Real Good Guys kind of like I think, adds to that complexity of like who is a good guy, who is the bad guy in this situation, But obviously in this moment seems great love to see him again. Love to see how and KB team back up. Well a bore pat Yeah.
Speaker 1: KB gets shot down out of orbit by the Powers and the Chip. The ship crashes and the kids watch it crash, looking on with horror as it does so, and John is like, see what you did.
Speaker 3: That's your fault.
Speaker 1: You did that.
Speaker 3: Seem really upset about it too.
Speaker 1: He was saying, but he was like, that's one hundred percent your fault, definitely. Wim takes this opportunity to grab the barrier switch and start trying to turn it off. There's a struggle now, Jod with his lightsabred to Wendell's neck. Wim saying, you were never a Jedi. Jod giving us a little bit of a backstory, saying, I was kind of raised and trained for a very short while by a person that was clearly an on the run post Order sixty six Jedi who was then hunted down and killed. Very sad story.
Speaker 2: Confirmation here in multiple ways that Jod actually is for sensitive.
Speaker 3: We see him force push, we see him you watch him do stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he doesn't have a lot of power, but it's very clear that this desperate woman, as he describes her, was somebody who trained him at least a little while, and that's helped him kind of get through the galaxy. But as he says, the galaxy, it's a dark, horrible place, like nobody's going to help you. This isn't something that's going to go well for you, And he wants Wim to be as depressed and hopeless about it as as he is.
Speaker 1: Eventually, once Farah adds her strength to this little struggle, they managed to get the barrier turned off. Barrier turns off, it disappears. Here come the X Wings.
Speaker 3: And I think the barrier has gone forever.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's like once it's off, you can't turn it on again. Seem to be what they were saying with the way you were watching it disappear. The X Wings then immediately go ape shit on the pirate ship and take it down, clearly resulting in another couple hundred days both on the ship and on the ground.
Speaker 5: Don't do not feel like the people over and are gonna look on this one as a oh, the Jedi came.
Speaker 3: And saved today, save to day.
Speaker 5: No, I think they're gonna be hayen on this situation, because very very clearly, the very violent crash.
Speaker 3: Yes, very violent, very wild.
Speaker 1: Everybody, all our heroes that is run to see where the kids ship crashed with KB on it, and luckily it was caught by like some weird name, like it's in one piece basically, and the cargo hold pops open and all these credits starts spilling out onto the ground and out comes KB washed along, you know, like a like a piece of food down the drain on these tide of credits, and she's fine, She's okay. Also okay, s M thirty three, who is just ahead, He's okay, hold his own head, also okay? Is the rat that lived in SM thirty three's head that Neil is apparently now gonna get AFTA love that.
Speaker 2: And then we kind of get this moment where we see all of the planet looking up at the stars, something they've never seen. The barriers kept them out of that, they've only had fake electric lighting. They're all looking up, but who is looking up the most Whim He's looking up at those stars and he's like, I'm gonna get involved with this galactic I want to chop.
Speaker 3: Some heads off, I want to kill some people. And he's looking up at the sky and his dad's.
Speaker 4: Like Whim, but Whim's like, no, sorry, Dad, He's like, I love violence, I love ships, shooting blasters.
Speaker 1: I love it. I want to do it again.
Speaker 3: And will he do it again? That's the big question. Scouting Crew has not yet been renewed for a second season. I don't believe and we.
Speaker 2: But I loved it. I thought it was great, Jason. What we have overall thoughts on the show.
Speaker 1: Really fun and the kind of tone that I think that they could do more of. It is you know whether or not this story will continue. I think it's a I think it's very interesting. I think I would love to see many of these characters make their way into Star Wars proper job included, and how they do that I think will be very interesting to see. Ed At now appears to be part of the Wider Galaxy. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Could we see At and be visited by the Mandalorian or someone in those I think a big takeaway I had and I saw some people in the discord agreeing with this. That final moment where Wim was looking up and we were kind of getting this vision of his face as he saw the stars for the first time from his home planet. Definitely feels like he could be in the Race Skywalker movie as one of her students or a version of him. Jod, is he still alive. I think he's still alive. Yeah, he will see it, but I think he's still alive. He was a four sensitive Jedi. He seems like a very easy could show up in a potential TV show or movie something like that.
Speaker 3: We would know not to trust him, but the characters would.
Speaker 1: I could see Jod getting, you know, put on some prison planet somewhere, and then his story continuing from there. The creator and showrunner of Skeleton and Crew, John Watts told Collider that he does have an idea for a second season. Quote have an idea for a second season and know what.
Speaker 3: We would do.
Speaker 1: Adding quote have a built in ticking clock of the kids in their age, and by the time we would get production going, we know what age they would be. So basically, they're planning to do a time jump to catch up with the kids so that it's all their ages are correct in the story when they catch back up with That would.
Speaker 2: Be history as well, because then you could see an old version of Whim who maybe is already seeking out Jedi training. I would love to see him in that Ray movie. I think he's so fun. I think he's got such a hunger for destruction.
Speaker 6: But also hope, which is important when a Jedi in could it'll be interesting to see with Ray what the paradigm for the Force and force sensitives are going forward.
Speaker 1: Wim did not seem to have any talent no for the Force, and I kind of like it like that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Me too. I think you need Jedi in spite of force sensitivity or not.
Speaker 3: You need some kind of force for good in the world. Maybe there'll be a lack of sensitive kids.
Speaker 2: In a certain generation. That could be an interesting rinkle for them to add. Okay, so we've had Tales of the Jedi, we've had Tales of the Sith. Are we going to get a more generic like Tales of the Galaxy or Tales of the Pirates? Not as catchy, But you know, I think we could see an episode about Jod and his backstory, because it seemed like they were telling us about that in the credits, and that really beautiful are I also think that we get some interesting nods here. The High Republic has for a long time been a big part of this show because of the great work, which is mentioned in the High Republic, but here we also get that the Crystal of the Founders, while there is no Crystal of the Founders in like Star Wars Law as we know it, like with that name, there are twenty two core founders who founded the Galactic Republic, and that's part of the High Republic era storytelling.
Speaker 3: So I'm interested to see them kind of digging a little bit more into that book Law also as well.
Speaker 2: I just love the idea that we're getting to explore these parts of the galaxy that have never been explored, and this, to me is a great example of how you can do that in a totally unexpected way.
Speaker 3: While still making something that feels familiar and fun. It's got that Gooniess.
Speaker 2: Vibe, it's got that et vibe, it's got the Amblan vibe. But I think that they did enough to make it stand with the modern great Star Wars stories like and or you know, these tales where there's more complexity than you're expecting, more exploration.
Speaker 3: But they did it through the lens of kids.
Speaker 2: So I would love to see a second season. I would love to see what happens to KB. You know, I think She's a really great addition. Yeah, I'm excited to see where Star Wars goes next and whether or not we will see any of these characters. I mean, we're so far away from a new Star Wars movie that the TV stuff is really what we're gonna have for the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, next week on Extra Vision, starting Tuesday, we're doing a werewolf bonanza. It's a full moon and you're beginning to do to the cursed creature that stalks the night with blood on your fangs. We're gonna be talking about some of our favorite werewolf wolf person projects and discussing the latest wolf Man film by Lee Wannell. Then on Thursday, as you've been asking, You've won it back and it's happen. It goes back to discuss the finale of doing Prophecy and what it means for the world of Doune. And that's it for this episode. Next we're listening Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 3: I'm Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kurtman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator