Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 2: We have a very exciting guest that we're going to get straight two. But they've just put out a new product. He has just put out a new product.
Speaker 1: Our guest is Rob Dickinson of the nineties group Katherine Wheel and more recently, the founder of Singer Vehicle Design. He started the company in two thousand and nine, and earlier this month, Singer just announced their latest gift to us, the nine to eleven Carrera Coop, which is basically a wide body variant of nine to eleven from the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: It's a great I love this car. I mean I've always loved the shape of it because one of my friend's dad's nine six four, but with the whale tail and the wider hips. But one of my favorite stories recently about it is Barry Ritholtz actually bought one intending on butchering it and turning it electric. Remember, oh, I remember, and this one. He couldn't bring himself to do it because it was such a rare find. He figured out after he bought it that he just restored it to its original glory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so grateful he did.
Speaker 2: He eventually went on to electrify another nine to eleven, which you.
Speaker 1: Can previous episode exactly.
Speaker 2: But Rob is basically making his best version of this car Let's listen in. Ever since we had you on my TV show, I've just been obsessed with your record. I've been listening to Chrome like over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, that's very cool.
Speaker 2: I thank you because I hadn't really listened to it since I guess the nineties or early two thousands.
Speaker 3: So it's not bad, no bad.
Speaker 2: It's been a reawakening the whole genre. I absolutely love. I don't know why people call it shoegazing rock. Why is that?
Speaker 3: Well, we tended to stare at our shoes and I have guitar effects, pedals and not too much rock and roll posturing at the front of the stage. But it was quite insular, loud rock music, so they called it shoegazing. It was quite the enemy coined the phrase I think very cool.
Speaker 1: Rob. Are you still in Poland or are you back? I know, I think you were just there to working on a new partnership.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm back. I'm back. I'm back. Yes, So I got back last week. So A wow, good, quite a good visit to Warsaw. Quite quite an eye opener.
Speaker 1: I went to Warsaw, gosh, probably twenty years ago. What was it like for you?
Speaker 3: It was like Paris? It fell like Paris. It was like it was like Paris. Certainly where we were staying. We were staying in a reasonably posh hotel, could have been any reasonably affluent European city. But it was great. People are people, aren't they? Car Lovers are car lovers all over the world. There was we did an event at the at the Ferrari dealership and there's you know, must have been one hundred car spotting kids outside with their phones making their videos, and you realize you can be anywhere in the world and it's all the same passion. It's just fantastic that there's a whole bunch of youngsters who were obsessed with these cars as much as I was when I was their agents. I find it quite amazing.
Speaker 1: Are they like up on everything you guys offer? And are you taking orders already in paces as far flung as Poland?
Speaker 3: I think the car sold out. Actually, maybe we can't say that officially, but yeah, I think a few people in Poland managed to get a car. We're at the point of where we had to limit allocations to our partners around the world, so but yeah, it was really well received, just remarkably normal, and I'm not sure. I'm not sure really what I expected from Poland. Poland took off economically after the Berlin Wall came down and the father of the guy who represents Ferrari and Peghani and kind of and everyone and Baghatti everyone else in Poland, his dad entrepreneurially set up a Reno dealership in nineteen ninety two. And from that small acorn they've turned into this jumbo tron of a car selling family that helicopter around the country and you know, make huge amounts of money selling fancy cars, and it's and it's it's a testament to the entrepreneurial spirit. It polls and known for anything. They're known for sticking their shoulder in and working their arses off, and there were certainly lots of evidence of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have done something similar in even a shorter time period, and I want to get to that, but I think first let's frame the new car, the Carrera Coop is the new release from you from Singer and it's basically the M four ninety one, right, so it's a turbo Loook ninety six y four but with a naturally aspirated engine. Tell me about it.
Speaker 3: It's our re entry into offering something with a normally aspirated engine. But at the moment, our cars the Classic Turbo and the DLS Turbo a turbocharge cars, and a lot of our clients have been asking us whether there can be another normally aspirated car, And of course we've been planning this for a while and at the heart of the career a coup is, like all our cars, is the engine. And we've spent the last eighteen months working on a very very special engine with Cosworth, the mighty Cosworth in England, who are helping us develop it. We wanted to come with something that was a real definitive statement on what a classic air called Portion nine eleven could be when it's normally aspirated at the real top of its game. The idea was to offer a car that was kind of like the spiritual successor to our Classic, which was I guess you could say it's the car that got us on the map. We're coming to the end of building those cars, so we're not taking any more orders to those cars, and we wanted something that was the brother of that car, if you like, something that encompassed all our learn from the last fifteen years of working on these engines, whether they be turbocharged engines, normally espirated engines, the incredible high normally espiated engine from the DLS and how great can we make it? And going to Cosworths to work on variable valve timing, water cooled cylinder heads, four valve cylinder heads, optimizing the cooling, an attempt to throw everything we knew and everything Cosworth know at this ancient, really antique of an engine and bringing it kicking and screaming into the twenty first century in a way that not only gives us as much power as we possibly can and talk, but also gets us in a rather sophisticated way through the regulatory challenges that we need to to sell the cast all over the world. To build a high performing old Porschere engine is not that hard, but to build a high performing Porschere engine that gets through regulations is incredibly hard. We'retre be proud of what was measure achieved, which is an engine with four hundred and twenty horsepower, a lot of TORQ across a wide range through the variable valve timing which has never been put on an air cooled engine before, controlling the heat of the engine. Obviously REVS gives us power, but REVS gives us heat and dissipating the heat from the engine is where's the challenge. Four valve heads with water cooling help us with that and this ability that we've had to separate the fan from running off the engine, which it usually does in an air cooled engine. We're running the fan on an electric motor which sits on top of the engine and allows the fan to cool the cylinders far more efficiently. So it's a complete holistic rethink of how the air cooled nine to eleven engine can work and how it can be optimized. So we're very proud of that. That's the heart of the car. We wanted to celebrate that idea than in the eighties you could walk into a Porsche dealership and order your new portion nine eleven with the pumped up skill of bodywork of the turbo, but with Porsche's latest naturally aspirated engine, not a turbocharge engine.
Speaker 1: I'm curious just in general, when you're talking about all of these really significant improvements like chassis strengthening, you know, adjusting the valve timing, all of these things. Are those part of like a vision coming from you or are those coming in response to customer feedback? Hey can you do this? Can you change this? We want more of this, we want less of this? Or is it a mix sort of of both.
Speaker 3: No, it's a.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's an easy answer, Singer.
Speaker 3: Is not much of a democracy. I'm afraid with me and my great friend and business partner Math, and it's what we want. The companies built on me wanting very very badly, a very if I could only have one car, what would it be? It would be have to be very special. The wholy thoughts of the company was built on what I wanted myself. With this with the arrogance that what I wanted is what everyone else would would I.
Speaker 2: Respect that This is how the company came about. Your desire to have if you could only have one car, what would it be? And all the things you had to do. But previously you were in this very successful band Catherine Wheel And as I said, I've been listening to to your hit record Chrome over and over again ever since I had you on TV. How did you go from like a rock star and I guess surrounded by rock stars your cousin. Your cousin is Bruce Dickinson, if I have it right, from Iron Maiden. So how did you go from this like rock and roll world to essentially building cars and starting such a successful business doing doing that?
Speaker 3: I studied car design at university. I mean, what which order did things come? And I start in love with cars at the age of five. I picked up a guitar at the age of fourteen, I went to university to design cars at twenty one. I got a job at Lotus when I was about twenty three twenty two, twenty three, and my band got a recording contract when I was twenty five, so that was nineteen nineties. What followed was fifteen years of absolute obsession with music, but also my love of car was my release and my happy place to go to while I was making music. So I think my passion for cars increased, and circumstances had me in Los Angeles in two thousand and three making my first and only solo record, and I decided to build my own perfect Portion nine eleven for myself, and that car became the genesis of singer. And it gave me the idea that what if I could create the ultimate air called Portion nine eleven, would anyone else be interested in having one of those? And that idea just gripped me around the neck and I couldn't let it go. And I was rather sick of music at that point. To be honest with you, I was. I felt I was too old to rock and roll. I think I felt I genuinely made the best music I could, and I wanted to obsess about something else. I've been so blessed. I've had two things in my life that I absolutely cannot ignore and I have had to pursue.
Speaker 2: By the way, Rob was that a family love? Because doesn't Bruce Dickinson also raise PORSCHEZ.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not, that's emphatic. He does a bunch of other things that he's got an airship company, if you can believe it. He's not really a car guy. I got the car genes.
Speaker 1: I think in the family you say, nobody writes a book about how to do this, But at this point if anybody has now done a blueprint that a lot of people are trying to emulate it, certainly a singer. I'm really curious, you know, to know what was the hardest part of getting to success for you in terms of to get you to the point of, oh, we're gonna be okay, Oh we've made it. And also what separates singer from all of the others that have tried and not been able to really establish a foundation that feels permanent rather than a we're here and then we're gone.
Speaker 3: Were excellent questions. What's what's smart? People you are? I started this business with a blissful disregard for business. I started the business with my father in law, who's a risk taking, wonderful man, who said he gave me some money, so just just go and have a go build build the car you want. And it was with that spirit, that sense that I don't know where this is going, but I'm going to build what the car I want and something good is going to happen from it. That was as far as our business plan got in two thousand and eight. And I do think that the people that have clearly been inspired by us and and and some of those folks have created some wonderful stuff, some of some of the some of the some of the people who've copied us have been a bit shameless with it. But I think what they have done is attacked it like a business, and they've come at it going, well, there's some blood in the water here. You know what thing we're doing, we can do it. If we change the this a little bit and this a little bit, we'll be out and maybe you offer it a little bit cheaper. I mean, that is not where Singer started from. Singer started with a rather hypoalutant, artistic, passionate sense of an understanding of our subject matter and and and a deep sincere wish to celebrate Porsche itself. Singer was always Porscha writ large and Singer rit smaller. I knew that was going to be essential if we were going to have any sense of being viewed differently to the tuna crowd or the custom car crowd, it had to be something that was there reasonably cerebral, the sense that we did understand our subject matter and we were obsessed with it, and we were going to we were going to present this new, this second life for this old Porsche nine elevenument in a way that was genuinely reverent and respectful to Porsche. I don't see any of the people who are copying us doing that as usual with custom car companies, that everyone's beating their chests and saying, look how good we are if we beat our chests at all. It was like, look how wonderful this portion nine to eleven is. And that's a very subtly but very different message.
Speaker 2: An important nuance.
Speaker 3: Something I read about Tom York being very upset about all the bands that have copied Radiohead, of which there have been many. His producer, a guy called Nigel god which something like Tom likes to think that anyone strumming a guitar morosely. He invented that. I see both points of view. Everyone copies, everyone steals. I mean, I've done it. It's just how you live with yourself afterwards, isn't it. As I say, we didn't invent restoring and modifying old cars. Who am I to judge when it comes to your first question, I think enduring. We managed to endure, and I can assure you that through twenty and eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, it was extremely hair raising that sense that sell the tenth car, and I'm thinking, God, we sold ten cars. That's incredible. Surely everyone on planet earthly on one of our cars, has probably ordered one. And the fact that we are hemorrhaging money, we probably should turn this off and build the tenth car and go home and do something else. And then we got to fifty, and then we got to one hundred, and then I started to think, hang on a minute, this may endure, and this may continue. And I think there was that point, but there was seven or eight years when it was like, you know, extremely difficult. The cars are ferociously, ferociously complicated to create to the standard that we aspire to. Incredibly expensive. Everything is three times as expensive as we thought it was. We built the very first car and sold it for three hundred thousand dollars and spent one point one million dollars building it. Wow. Is that is the lunacy.
Speaker 1: That's a gut check.
Speaker 3: That is the lunacy of which Singer started.
Speaker 2: And what's the most important part. So I've been lucky enough to see some of your work in person, and I'm just drooling when I'm looking at the gauges and the carbon and the design, and then I hear about the Cosworth and the Red Bull, you know, or Tuthill or whatever people you're working with. But what's the most what are the most expensive parts of what you're doing? Like how do you get to to three million dollar price tags?
Speaker 3: The engines at the helf of it. Just the sheer amount of artisanal work that goes in to every corner of the car is ridiculous. I mean, we stopped trying to count how many hours go into the car. I mean taking taking a chassis, a monocoque metal you know, the metal underpinnings of a portion nine sixty sixty four that that was engineered and tooled probably in nineteen eighty five, and you can imagine the tolerance is that is that is not a Swiss watch of the car, although it's a fabulously built car. And then trying to you know, disassemble it, strip it and then put attached carbon fiber bodywork to it for lightness and strength and everything else and have the door gaps be perfect and have everything visually be perfect and all the surfaces to be perfect is stoundingly difficult to do, and it takes both skill and a lot of pile. So the body work alone, I mean we were we sometimes spend up to eight hundred hours making sure the body is ready to be painted, and that's not painting regards, just preparing the gard for it to be painted, so every gap is perfect, every radius is perfect. Is this when it comes to how we managed to endure my insistence that we couldn't let the standards drop. It was both the perhaps the wisdom in us enduring because it's given us a reputation for quality, but also one of the things that were so so hard to convince convince everyone else around me that we still had to produce cars that were exquisite and magnificent in their quality. And of course, when you're struggling, that's the last thing you want to do. You want to cut some corners, you want to save some money, you want to do this, that and the other that most car companies do, and you build down to a price. We've never built down to a price the price of our car. The margin that most car companies put on top of their work our cars would be ten million dollars if we did that. The margins on our cars are tiny, and that's the difficult for some people to believe sometimes.
Speaker 1: But terrafs our terriffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, terriffs touch wood for us. I'm not something that's that's really punishing us at the moment. The fact that we have a factory in England and a facility in England is helping that that our DLS cars and a few of our turbos are built in England, which obviously doesn't have the the the issues that what on tariffs in America does. And the majority of our supply chain is here within the US, so right now touched with the tariffs, aren't aren't affecting us? Which is which is which is great.
Speaker 2: And your customers are the majority of our customers also in the US.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, fifty about it's it's staying reason to be consistent of our fifty percent of our clients are in North America. But as as we were talking about our global partners, we were we're having increasing success internationally and that's something that we're obviously putting putting some effort into.
Speaker 2: By the way, did you guys buy Willow Springs? Is that like a proving ground now for center or what's the idea with that alliance?
Speaker 3: We didn't we didn't buy it. We aligned ourselves with the people that did and and and I think we're very much perhaps helped steer and focus what Willow Springs could become. Willow Springs is a fantastic place that I've spent years visiting, and there was in the it was in the it was at risk of being turned into into probably a building site. And we have had some wonderful experiences at racetracks around the world, the Thermal Racetrack here in California, lagoona Saka, of course, the Magarry Gower Track in Japan, which if if your listeners haven't heard about it, it's worth looking up on Google. It's an amazing track that was built on a hillside just outside Tokyo, which we've been to. And this idea formed to us that we could partner with with with with some developers to bring Willow Springs back from death. Improves improve what is inherently a very very dangerous track at Willow Springs, make it fantastic for everyone to use, but also have an aspect of there being a singer club there and for our clients and our non clients, and turn the track into something that was not just for everyone, but could also be used by OEMs for testing and everything else, and making it something that's literally on our doorstep here in Los Angeles. It's an hour and a half from LA and it's our most important it's the only real southern California track of note that, and it seemed like a no brainer that we should attach ourselves to it.
Speaker 1: Created in nineteen fifty three, Yeah, known as the fastest road in the West, very historic, iconic track now owned by Cross Harbor Capital Partners. I'm very curious. You know, Singer has never done lap times really or any sort of public benchmarking on track. Does this alignment now mean you guys might release some more performance oriented data about the cars.
Speaker 3: Probably not, No, I mean it's it's it's it's I mean, our father fast around the track, but that the idea of beating our chest and saying they're faster than someone else is never appealed to me, and I don't think it really appeals to our clients. And yeah, I'm I'm a little bit skeptical about the horsepower race and the constant attempts to beat the Nerburg Green lap times and all that kind of stuff. I mean, it's fun and it's fascinating, but it's not really what our cars are about. I mean, our cars are what you know. You know, when in the old days, Rolls Royce never never, never released published how how powerful their cars were.
Speaker 4: They were, they were adamant sufficient that the power was sufficient.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, I'd like I'd like to think that our cars are just quietly sufficient and if you really want to thrash it round the track, it will be bloody fast. But we don't. We don't really want to, you know, By.
Speaker 2: The way, how do you get along with Porsche with I mean do you talk to executives there? Do they do they like what you're doing? Did they ever use your ideas? Do they get mad about you know, your your designs? Like what's what's that? Relationship?
Speaker 3: Like? It's good? I think, I think, I think, yeah, you'd have to ask Porsche that I think. But I think we are proud of of of of what we have helped shine a light on Porsche's heritage. I think I think there are folks at Porsche that appreciate that. I'm very good friends with. I was at the Porsche Museum a few weeks ago with Andreas Poininger, who's the head of the g T Mister g T three pors has been a friend of ours for many years as big, a big, big, a big fan of ours. And we have a lot of folks at the highest level at Porsche that that that that like what we do. I think they're clearly a company that has to protect its trademarks so that they their duty bound to to be concerned about what people are doing with their brand, and we respect that as well.
Speaker 1: Does that mean we won't see any more lawsuits from Porsche now that they dropped the last one?
Speaker 3: I hope not again. You'd have to ask Porsche that, But I think I think, I think we we we sleep well at night knowing why we're here and what we've what we've done for Porsche, which I think we have done some stuff for Porsche and we hope that they appreciate it. I think that's I think that's that's probably the best way to put it. And and uh, you know, Porsche, A lot of things change at Porsche when when they when they launched their I p O, they're lighty different companies than they have been in the past. As a result of that, they have to they have to police their brand with everybody, and they have to be seen to be doing that, so that there's when some of the things that may have been seen in the press and stuff in the last the last year or so need need to be taken through a certain lens to a degree. And I'd like to I'd like to think that everything's just fine and that there's a there is some mutual respect between Singer and Porsche.
Speaker 2: Dude, Can I ask about the the other things that you're interested in? Because I was surprised the first time I looked at your website, A little bit surprised the first time I looked at your website and saw that you also reimagine watches. Now, of course there's a lot of overlap between car people and watch people. But what got you into that and how deep are you willing to get in it?
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's it's it's a cliche, isn't it. A car company is doing watches everyone it's it's it's portion does well exactly. And I always thought it was a bit silly, really, if if you go to a watch company buy your watch, and the car company to buy your car. But I got a phone call in twenty seventeen from a guy called Marco Boracchino, who's the old head of designer Panorai, and he said, Rob, I just love what you're doing with the portion nine to eleven. I've got this idea. Do you want to do a watch with me? I said, well, I love watches like most car guys do. But we can't be one of those car companies that just does a horrible branded watch. He said, no, no, no, no no. He said, I have this movement. I have exclusive access to this incredible movement where we can reimagine the chronograph to stop watch function, you know, on a wristwatch to celebrate Jack Hoyer. Jack Hoyer started the Hoyer Watch company in the in the in the in the sixties and attached attached to Hoyer brand to motor racing and motorsport in a very very sexy way with the Carrera watches and the Monacos and all those wonderful watches from the late sixties and early seventies. He said, why don't we celebrate the finest purveyor of the chronograph related car watches with our own watch? And of course I might. At this point he had me hooklide and thinker because this because this this movement was so special that it had the stop watch. Usually on a on a chronograph, you have that you have the you know, you know, Rolex Daytowna looks like a normal watch, but it has three little sub dials inside with the track time, hours, minutes, and seconds. He said, no, no, no, he said, we put the actual stopwatch function in the middle of the watch and make it the star of the watch. And instead of putting you know, the having the stopwatch functions as a as a peripheral, it's in the center of the watch and the time of day is on the periphery. But that you know that what what what is front and central with our watch will be the stop watch function. So this incredible movement that we had access to inspired this first watch of ours, called the Track One, and after that it's Mark. Marco has just been running with this idea of of of of presenting classic high high watch making with through the lens of his love of Jack Hoyer and our passion for cars and and and we've started, you know, very similarly how we started singing in the early days that we were talking about we're just we're just putting our head down. And Marco is creating some fabulous watches that have been inspired from this first track. One watch and we're we're on the adventure where it goes we don't know, but we it's it's the aspirations are as high as they could possibly be. We're using the finest suppliers in Geneva, and the watch and the watches are really are magnificent and and it's in Marco's hands really.
Speaker 2: By the way, and it's and it's going quite well. We're an audio only podcast, so you can't see unless you google it. I recommend that you do because one of the watches Hannah has, you know, the fuchs Felgen, the famous Porsche wheel Sir. One of the watches has that as the movement, which is very cool because as it goes around, it covers up and then reveals the Singer branding, which is I think pretty sweet.
Speaker 4: So clever, kind of kind of grievy that right, Yeah, it's it's, it's it's a it's a balance for lot the Singer.
Speaker 3: Reimagine, which is the name of the of the watch company. Can it have its own aura outside of Singer as the car company. This is something that we've had many conversations about as as as we were to talking about earlier, or what you have to do is endure and continue to turn up every year, and you start to become part of the zeitgeist and things start to things start to be accepted. And that is that is the hard thing, the hardest thing for any company to do is to stick around and constantly be there the following year, because that is a big partn No matter how good your idea is, no matter how how how clever you are, is that endure endurance and endurance can is often the hardest thing to do. And I think I think time will tell whether whether we're going to have a fabulous watch company that's going to be around in one hundred years time. That's the plan. Can rob with st in the early days of it.
Speaker 1: Can Singer maintain the same aura with a non nine to eleven, for instance? Could we ever see like a Singer nine twenty eight or something like that, or even something water cool like a nine ninety six. Would that be possible to maintain the same or that you're describing.
Speaker 3: Very very good question. We as you as you can, as you can imagine, I mean we we we are we have a lot of options. We're very, very blessed and lucky to have a number of options. Put there are a number of genuinely iconic cars in Porsche's in Porsche's past, the opportunity too to attack and and study them or is on our agenda. Whether what will actually come to pass, we don't know yet. We've we've got a few years of more nine elevens ahead of us, and then and then, you know, what what do we do with it? What do we do with this company that's that's that's managed to attract this wonderful family of folks that buy our stuff, that's become synonymous, I guess with Porsche and quality. I think we have a lot of options in terms of what we do next. But whether it's other Porsche models, whether it's you know, maybe a car of our own, I don't know's we're we're we're looking at We're looking at all sorts of opportunities.
Speaker 2: Do you very excited by the way do you daily? Do you daily a singer? Like? What what car do you go to the office in? Every day?
Speaker 3: I go to the office in a in a beaten up nineteen ninety five, nine ninety three.
Speaker 2: Nine ninety three.
Speaker 3: That's my that's my daily drive.
Speaker 2: You have all the nine sixty fours in America and you're driving a nine nine three to work?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I mean, I love that. I've had a couple of nine six stores, but I've always loved the nine ninety three rather rather especially because why well, like I called, Tony Hatter, who's an English chat from Leeds, designed it. And I've had the opportunity to meet and become friends with Tony and and the nine ninety three is many in many ways, there's a real work of genius because Porsche were on their knees in the in the late eighties and only nineteen nineties and had to come up with yet another iteration of the air called Porsche nine eleven. And the nine nine three was this incredible restyling of the ninet eleven that made it feel so fresh at the time, and it was a real work of genius, and it's a bit of a masterpiece of design. And for someone who loves their called Porsches and wants to drive one daily, it's the most refined and the most sophisticated air called Porsche nine eleven, the Porsche ever made. So that's why I love it. I love the look of the nine nine three, I love how it drives, and I love the guy he designed it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Rob, When you're when you're driving your nine nine three to work, if you're on a long commute, stuck in traffic or whatever, what do you listen to? What do you what music are you into?
Speaker 3: Now? Well, I was about to say what. I'm stuck on the four h five at Los Angeles in the nine ninety three, raging gear every three seconds to edge my way through traffic. I wish I was in my wife's electric Mecan because you stick it on, you stick it on cruise radar control, cruise control, and all you've got to do is steer. But one of my listeners, but that's that's what I'm wishing I was in, which is a fantastic car. By the way, I listened to eighty eight point five, a fabulous radio station here in Los Angeles that that that plays a wonderfully eclectic bunch of music. And I listen to the stuff I find myself gravitating to the stuff I would have gravitated to twenty five thirty years ago when I started my band, which is generally you know, challenging edgy rock music. I love a bank called of Fontane's DC. I love. I love a bank called idols I love. I love a lot of a lot of a lot of a lot of the new singer songwriters. I just I just love a great song. I'm a sucker for dare I say an old fashioned proper song.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm always a socker for some lamp guitars as well.
Speaker 1: We can get behind that for sure.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the part where I'm taking notes. Dude, It's been so great to have you with us, and I really appreciate your time. Okay, I wrote down those bands, the Fontaneous DC.
Speaker 1: I've heard of none of those bands. But I didn't write down the bands, but I actually wrote down the radio station eighty eight point five eight.
Speaker 2: You know what in LA I wonder if that's because he has He says a beat up nine to nine to three, which respect first of all, for sure, and then he has to shift when he's in traffic. But I guess they don't have serious because it's.
Speaker 1: No the court. I mean, yeah, we're on the analog dial. Yeah, whatever it's called.
Speaker 2: I'm a serious addict. So that's something I would have a problem with in older cars.
Speaker 1: Oh, Serious the satellite. I was like Serious XM, serious addict of what? But yeah, Serious FM?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I mean I listened like I listened to hours of Serious XM.
Speaker 1: Every day, stern guy.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I listened to Bloomberg Radio a lot. So that's channel one twenty one on Serious XM. I listened to the Dead on Serious XM. They have a dedicated channel, channel twenty three. Sometimes I listen to Fish on channel twenty nine. Now.
Speaker 1: Doesn't the frequency of that audio bother you? Though?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: It always sounds so weird to me in general, like.
Speaker 2: Not as good as FM. I mean, yes, you're right it is.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised it doesn't bother you because you're such an audio guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've had good experiences and bad experiences, and usually they're somewhere in the middle. But I'm just happy to listen to music and like NonStop. There's a channel on Serious XM seven six seven, which you can't get in all cars, Like a lot of cars are capped. You can't go high any higher than three hundred on sious or something. But if you can, if you're lucky enough to get a car, that's fully equipped with all the serious channels. You can get Rombone, which is like a Cuban mambo station. Yes, it's NonStop Cuban mambo music. Love and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: What is it called rombone? Yes, the rombone? Okay, I love it. Oh, I gotta look that up. That's very cool.
Speaker 2: What have you been up to you? Obviously you bought a new car we talked about, but you hadn't last time we talked. Really gotten to shake it down yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. Well the shakedown has happened. Not everything seems to be functioning, but we're still going to give it sort of a workthrough. We're sending it to Charlie who looks after the cars.
Speaker 2: What's his name, agarol.
Speaker 1: Agapoo Agapoo Charles Agapoo, a British fellow who really he's iconic. He's in his eighties now, but he is. Anyone who has a Rolls Royce in the LA area probably knows him or knows of him. He is really lovely or Bentley.
Speaker 2: Matt Farrow sent his s Bentley, Yeah.
Speaker 1: To get very well respected, honest and good at what he does. So we are going to just take it take it through. But the funny thing is he we called him last week and he was busy, so we have we're on a waiting list, so you know, maybe next week we'll get the current. But so, I mean, so far, so good. There have been no issues, you know, knock on wood, and honestly, the other ones that we have have all broken down around the first drive. So we're already ahead on this one.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: So I'm feeling Yeah, I'm feeling lucky. Haven't bought a lottery ticket, but feel that's lucky.
Speaker 2: That's very cool. I I didn't actually pick up my motorcycle last weekend because my flight was delayed, delayed, delayed, delay, delayed, and then canceled. Yeah, it was hellish.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm so sorry. What a huge bummer.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, maybe destiny saved me from something that would have been worse.
Speaker 1: Could have been a sliding door scenario. Yeah, you did not get on the plane, and your life is different now.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'm also more prepared now. I've got a seat and a sissy bar and like all these things that I need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: Before So you're going next week, I'm going on Saturday, Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you Are you flying?
Speaker 2: No, I will never fly again to Washington, DC or to Boston. I will take the train from now on.
Speaker 1: And the train ride is.
Speaker 2: It's like four or five hours. It's five hours to Fredericksburg, Virginia, where I have to go. But the thing about trains is they don't get canceled as much. Right, if it's a light drizzle, then all American flights are grounded. But if if it's if it's a thunderstorm, a train will just barrel through that.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm I don't think I can fly into Newark for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I ever want to.
Speaker 1: Again, honestly, And it's just such it's not a great time. I was going to ask you what carrier push you back only to cancel your flight, and then I realized it kind of doesn't matter. It could have been any anyone.
Speaker 2: They're all equally horrible. I mean, since my childhood, American air travel has just gotten worse and worse and worse, and it's now one of the worst experiences you can probably. I mean, I drove this weekend. I drove to Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: What did you drive?
Speaker 2: Which is like a four hour drive and back. Remember when we got that email and who was it about.
Speaker 1: It was like Dan or don.
Speaker 2: Yes it was donn of Olm. Yeah it was done. So Donna emailed. He was like, dude, you should drive an electric car on a longer trip. He said to Ohio. I don't have to go to Ohio right now, but I had to go to Carlisle, which, by the way, such a cool town. Did not expect that. I went for Dickinson College graduation, my nephew graduated, and I drove a Chevy Blazer. Ev Now, once again I have practically fallen in love with an electric car.
Speaker 1: This is wild.
Speaker 2: It's get it's getting crazy. But this one I didn't expect. It's a total sleeper, right and if you look at it, it's nothing to behold. It just looks like.
Speaker 1: They made an electric Blazer.
Speaker 2: It just looks like a big station wagon, which it is, you know, I mean, right now, the exterior design is just ooh eh, gross, I don't even get that. I don't notice it. I walked by my driveway and I just don't even notice it.
Speaker 1: Is well, that's not good either, But this doesn't look I'm imagining the Blazers from the eighties. Yeah no, it's not what I'm so disappointed.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that's it is hugely disappointed. If you're thinking about a regular Blazer and from the outside it's basically disappointing.
Speaker 1: It's like, what, oh, no, this is terrible.
Speaker 2: Yes, however, step inside this, you know, uh oh, what's the word I'm looking for. It's it's a surprisingly luxurious interior and mine, yes, mine is lined in red leather. It's just really cool carbon fiber accents and like amazing, like sort of like the Camaro design on the interior. The entertainment system or the infotainment system General Motors has perfected. And I've said this before, they don't you don't get Apple CarPlay anymore because it's a whole Google based system. But you don't need it. You don't notice that, you don't, you don't miss it. It's perfect. And this thing is for sixty thousand dollars. It's got so much leg room. I put my seats all the way back and then I put two gigantic rear facing car seats in the back and I still have room to spare. It's got six hundred and nineteen horse power it's only got.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that, yes, does it actually really feel like that?
Speaker 2: It feels like when I was a kid, I went to university in Germany and we always marveled at these giant Mercedes Benz station wagons on the Autobahn that were just flying by like two forty They're long, they're big, they're heavy, and they're just autobond cruising machines just flying. Yeah, we would say that's a sleeper, like cause you don't the police are not going to pull you over, but you're definitely speeding. And that is the case with this vehicle as well. I mean it just hauls ass.
Speaker 1: Now what's the range? And did you have to charge it?
Speaker 2: How did that all work out? So so before I went to Carlisle, I did have to charge it, and it took like forty five minutes to an hour and it costs fifty bucks. Again, so that is it's it's weird. But when I put in the directions to Carlisle, without even noticing, the navigation system automatically added a GM like supercharger stop, which was great. And at the GM supercharger I charged from twenty to eighty percent in like literally twelve minutes.
Speaker 1: Was the stop out of your way or what?
Speaker 2: No, it was directly on the way. Now, I may have gotten lucky in where I was driving, but then I get to Carlisle and I've used most of the range. At the hotel, they had a charge point, you know, not a fast charger, but just a regular thing. I logged on super easy with the app, went into the hotel, slept, came back in the morning. It was done nine dollars and filled it completely up and it just was easy. So now I understand when people are like, look, if you have a charger at your house and you can put these charge point things at your house, then it's no big deal totally.
Speaker 1: I mean that's how it was in Vegas at the wind We just we drove the car all day and we gave it to the guys and they charged it overnight. Yeah with you know, and it was fine. So had a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically, so you love it, like you you were using the L word.
Speaker 2: Well on this I love it when i'm inside it because I'm driving so fast in this thing. It's so powerful, it's so luxurious, it's spacious, and I'm you know, six foot three two hundred pounds, so I'm a big dude, and I get rom Bone. It gets channel seven to sixty seven on Serious XM, which is super important to me. And it's just everything works intuitively and easily, and it's just and for sixty three thousand dollars, so that could.
Speaker 1: Be the appliance car that you keep along with your fun car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I wish it was better looking. And by the way, this is a thing with GM because they also make so the Cadillac CT five V Black Wing is one of I think the greatest cars you can buy today. I love that it has a super charge six point two liters V eight, it has a stick shift, you know, and it's a four seater and like also luxurious and intuitive and interior amazing. Doesn't look that great?
Speaker 1: Uh No, I've never thought any GM car looks It's like.
Speaker 2: They're hitting it out of that when it comes to performance, they're hitting it out of the park. When it comes to design, interior design, they're hitting it out of the park. When it comes to the tech. Yeah, but the exterior is just like yeah.
Speaker 1: It really, It's true. And I don't know why. All I know is I'm googling Chevy Blazer nineteen eighties and thinking why can't we all have this? I know because I got the minute I realized when you said you fell in love with the electric Chevy Blazer. I thought Chevy did the thing that Mercedes did with the g Wagon, which is keep the icon the same, just swap out whatever you're using to power it, and all good. And that did not happen here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I don't really shook.
Speaker 2: I don't know who the designer is, but but yeah, so that's my most reason. By the way, I want to read an email from somebody that we got just in its entirety because I'm not gonna name the guy. He hasn't given me a permission to use.
Speaker 1: His full name, but his initials are og Og. Okay, I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, dear mattin Hannah, I hope you're doing great. My name is OG. I listen to your podcast every week in Berlin in the mornings before heading to the office, I go to the gym and listen to the different Bloomberg podcasts, but yours in particular. It makes my Monday routines much more bearable. Thank you for that, Thank you, Thank him for sure dude, that's so nice to hear. He says, I found something hilarious I had to share with you. Matt mentioned the last episode that he bought a Harley Davidson while his wife was abroad. I believe that, by the way, may not have been a great decision. My wife was pretty angry with me. I don't recommend other husbands do that. But he goes on, now I have some backup show my girlfriend. I'm not the only one haha. While she was out of Germany for a couple weeks in late April, I couldn't help it and ended up buying a night'ster. He includes a picture. It looks awesome. Her fault for leaving this petrol head alone. I completely understand what you mean, Matt. Harley Davidson can't be replaced, regardless of the market. As a business person myself, it's all about branding and super nice email. I totally agree. And there's something weird about the Harley Davidson brand, Like, once you get into it, you're really kind of obsessed with it. But I'm not like a one percenter motorcycle gang guy.
Speaker 1: You know, contain multitudes, you really do.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna go, you know, doing any Hell's Angels stuff.
Speaker 1: You have many dimensions.
Speaker 2: I don't revere the Hell's Angels or at least no, you're not obsessed. I don't know. It's just something weird about this brand that you really get into. But og thank you for your email.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: By the way, our email address is hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. Please write to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, send us pictures. List all the all the cars and.
Speaker 2: Bikes that you could definitely send pictures.
Speaker 1: Send us, Send us ideas for people who you want us to interview. You love all your thoughts.
Speaker 2: What do you got going on next?
Speaker 3: Him?
Speaker 1: Guess what? I'm going to to Loom next week. I'm going on a girls trip, which I never do. But sweet, I know I'm excited. Let me just tell you. I am excited.
Speaker 2: Just the ladies into Loom. Yeah, going to get into some tequila.
Speaker 1: Well, who knows who I might get my chakras cleansed. You know, I might go to a hut in the jungle and see what happens.
Speaker 2: You guys might have a little too much to drink and all go get matching tattoo.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun. I will report back. Should be great.
Speaker 2: What about you, sweet, I am just about to go pick up the M five, which you have already driven. The BMW M five I mean solid, yeah, right, very much looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if I'm gonna love it as much as the M eight.
Speaker 1: It's going to be interesting. It's a V eight, right, it.
Speaker 2: Is like a hybrid V eight right.
Speaker 1: It's oh so that'll be interesting for you to get back into something with some form of combustion. Because these last few weeks you've been on the EV train, I feel.
Speaker 2: It's been pretty crazy. Even Rob Dickinson was just saying how much he loved the Porchia macn ev.
Speaker 1: I forgot to ask. I wanted to ask him if singer would ever do an electric singer.
Speaker 2: The thing is, though, there's still there's still no soul. None of the evs I've driven have felt like they have a soul all else. They're all appliances, luxurious.
Speaker 1: And fact usable. Yeah yeah, yeah, but but it's it's just different.
Speaker 2: I haven't got one yet where I think like, this is a vehicle I will keep in my possession until my daughter, you know, turns thirty and then I give it to her to keep for her son, her daughter.
Speaker 1: Like, that's not that's a really good reference point. I haven't thought about that. But no, I mean those are those are more vehicles that you might lease for a year or two and then, like.
Speaker 2: Your rolls Royce, you could probably imagine hanging on to it until you someday pass it on to Will.
Speaker 1: I mean somebody asked, Actually it might have been our buddy Steve Sario. He said, oh, are you going to get rid of the other one? Since you just got this new And I was like, what, you know, how dare you suggest that I would get rid of you know which? Again, this is we have a lot of space here. These aren't expensive cars, et cetera, et cetera. You've got three, the thought we've got a few? Would you just I don't want to put a number. I don't want to put a label on it.
Speaker 2: Matt, would you? Would you not? Have you not considered getting rid of like one? Because you just have?
Speaker 1: I certainly have considered getting rid of other cars? Sure if you want to buy one, well, I'm just we can we can talk. I'm just thinking, Yeah, you're sitting in a lot of metal. Yeah, I would like I would like to sell some, and you've got to move them around.
Speaker 2: You got out the oil, you got to like do all this thing.
Speaker 1: Don't even have the hard part.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Fortunately for me, my husband does that heavy lifting. And I have no shame about saying that. He really he does the heavy lifting. I just get to, you know, dabble, dabble in and out when I want to. Except for there is I do have two that are own. Well, I'm not gonna I'm not scratch that. I'm not going to incriminate myself.
Speaker 2: Wait where are you going with that? Two that are what on the chopping blog.
Speaker 1: I have there? Look, there are some that I would sell. We can have that conversation, you know, offline if you want. But there are some that I would not sell. And and to your point, none of those are electric vehicles. We'll keep it there for now.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's leave it there until next week. What do we have next week? We have anything? Do something? Toto next week?
Speaker 1: No, but Toto is coming up. Toto is in June. I believe June sixteenth. We've got total coming out?
Speaker 2: Wait is Monaco next week?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: Yes? It's this week?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this weekend.
Speaker 2: That's good for them, right, because great for them. They're good at qualifying and nobody passes anybody there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it's basically their home race because they all live in Monaco. We should say. I just just today published a piece on the market for F one memorabilia which is going through the roof and for instance, R M. Soetherby's just sold a Senna helmet for almost a million dollars, and at the race in Monaco will be selling Michael Schumacher's F two thousand and one Ferrari car that he raced to win the Monaco Grand Prix and the World Championship that year in the same season, which was two thousand and one. So that's all happening this weekend. And I do recommend, I'll say i'll boost our own stories. Do read that story because it's crazy the prices some of these things are getting, and even silly things like you know visors, I mean advisors aren't silly, but you know, lesser things. It's not just helmets and cars, I.
Speaker 2: Mean helmet, A helmet for a million dollars is pretty silly. I Revere and Senna, but I think a million dollars for Now on the other hand, this car, the Shumi Ferrari for two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my, that's what that is. The and they're saying an estimated fifteen million euros or more easily. Yeah, so you know Hamilton had a car sell in two twenty twenty three for I think eighteen point eight or so million. Then this CAP's that, because so I would think this would beat that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, for sure.
Speaker 1: Soccer.
Speaker 2: I mean it's also like this is like the iconic era. This is right, this is when F one was really amazing.
Speaker 1: Sound and never getting that back, super exciting. Yeah, so that's that's gonna be a really big deal this weekend. I mean, if you're gonna be anywhere this weekend, you should. We should. We should be in Monaco.
Speaker 2: What are we doing? Yeah, I don't know. They've done for my life, I know. All right, Well, it was great talking to you and Rob. Thank you so much, and do shoot us an email hot pursuit at Bloomberg dot net because we love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't necessarily know if we love them, but.
Speaker 1: Philosophically we do a lot of our fellow our fellow humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point, Yes, all right, have a good one. I'm Matt Miller and I'm
Speaker 1: Hannah Elliott, and this is Bloomberg.