Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to the Second Date Podcast. Thank you so much for being here. If you haven't caught on to our schedule, because maybe you're not here enough. Tuesdays we do awkward Tuesday phone call, and then Thursdays is kind of a grab bag, you know. Yeah, sometimes it's sexual healing. Sometimes it's an update.
Speaker 2: Updates, sometimes it's whatever our boss just feels like throwing us into that day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but today is a closure call. And if you don't know how these work, someone will email us about a relationship or a situationship that had a fallen out right, and it's maybe been months, sometimes it's been years. We've had even decades where they haven't talked to each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're trying to get a higher fifty years, one hundred years.
Speaker 4: For us dramatic.
Speaker 1: Well that first works with our producer to get back into contact and ask the questions that they've been thinking about forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can hear the answer totally.
Speaker 1: It can be pretty dramatic. And we've got one for you today. Hey, thanks for in here. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: In a couple of minutes, we're gonna do a brand new closure call. Here, which if you haven't heard, is a segment where we help a listener send four questions to a previous friend or lover or someone they had a falling out with to get some answers so that they can finally move forward with their life.
Speaker 1: It's a really amazing segment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, at least that's the hope that we're going to help them.
Speaker 5: But this may be the first time in the show's history the listener doesn't even want to hear all of the answers. After we read the first two it was that shocking and surprising and embarrassing. All those emotions plus a few more tossed in for the mix, you're gonna hear why when we do a brand new closure call right after this, it's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. And sometimes in order to move forward in life, yeah, first you have to look backwards.
Speaker 1: That's true, jeff kind.
Speaker 5: Of like a moonwalk in a way, looking back, but moving forward.
Speaker 1: It a really cool Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's kind of the idea of this segment called closure Calls, where, if you haven't heard it before, we try to help a listener get some answers and hopefully peace of mind on an issue.
Speaker 4: From their past that's been haunting them.
Speaker 1: Some of these get really deep too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And recently, one of our listeners asked for our assistance getting some closure.
Speaker 4: Her name is Jody.
Speaker 1: Keep wanting me to do this?
Speaker 5: Heye, Jody wants to go full Michael Jackson today.
Speaker 4: So, Jody, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jody, we're all so interested in what brought you here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's going on in your life that made you reach out to us?
Speaker 6: Okay, it's so strange. So, my husband and I used to live in this amazing neighborhood. Absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was everything. And our next door neighbors, the Coopers, they were like our best friends, our families. We did everything together. We had birthdays, barbecues, you know, we watched the other's passively, went on vacation, everything broke.
Speaker 4: How jealous are you of those neighbors.
Speaker 1: No, I love my neighbors. I have the best neighbors.
Speaker 5: Honestly, you literally like have disputes with them all the time. You're trying to buy their property out from them.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the guy with the abandoned cars right next to me. Yeah, it's great to make granola.
Speaker 3: She doesn't consider him a neighbor where she's like, oh, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I love that guy too. He's got two kids that live about an hour. You want to know more about.
Speaker 5: Him, No, let's focus more on Jody and her neighbors, the Coopers. It's nice to have a family next door to you that you actually like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but here's where the twist comes, and it's unfortunate. We basically our house burnt down. My gosh, yeah, absolutely everything. It was horrible.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Wait was it the Coopers that did it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, we're asking them why.
Speaker 6: No, they were like, they were really supportive. Actually they helped us get through all of it. They helped us put our life back together. But yeah, we couldn't afford to like stay and rebuild the house, so we were forced to move, which we really did not want to because again, just love where we lived.
Speaker 1: Do you build all those relationships for so long, dude, in all the memories and you know that's hard, that must be really hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was awful. But we found a house like forty five minutes away from there, and you know, we had to do what we had to do. And we stayed in touch with them for a couple of months. Yeah, yeah, and then one day they just stopped responding, like they wouldn't answer any of my phone calls, they stopped inviting us.
Speaker 1: Wait did their house burn down to.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, that's weird.
Speaker 4: Sorry, who was setting all the fires? Sorry? What were you saying? They stopped answering you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they stopped answering, like you know, I tried multiple times, no explanation at all, you know, just completely cut off communication and really for you and.
Speaker 1: Your husband, like they have zero contact.
Speaker 6: Yeah, zero. It's so strange.
Speaker 5: That is really weird. What was going through your mind when that started happening?
Speaker 6: We did not know. We went over this so many times, and like I understand, like we don't live next door to them anymore, but yeah, I mean, why why I completely cut us out?
Speaker 1: You know, like and they're still living there in that same neighborhood and everything.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I was curious. I was like, well, maybe they moved, you know, like, yes, maybe something happened to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I think a year and a half after I decided to drive back, you know, to see if they even still live there, and I didn't bring the doorbell or anything, but their car was in the driveway.
Speaker 5: Okay, so they're still around in the same house at least, but for some reason totally cut all communication with your family.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's so strange. And it's been over four years, and the thing is is that I still think about it, like I just wish we could get some of that old friendship that you know. Yeah, it would be really great to reconnect our children again and all that, but it's just something that like lingers in my mind.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Well, and like even for me, like I grew up in the same house my whole life, and our neighbors growing up are like second family.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean honestly, you guys.
Speaker 4: Marry each other too.
Speaker 5: But is there any like drama between your families in that time or something fight or maybe an affair that you had with someone casually drop that one something like that.
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely no, okay, at least not that you're gonna admit to.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think your kid may have done something? Like, you know, because sometimes like if kids fight or it can cause parents to fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the kid will be like, well my mom said this, and it's like playing telephone.
Speaker 6: They I mean, sure, that's the possibility. It's one of those things where like we have as a family all sat down multiple times at dinner and talked about this, like he does anyone have any idea of why it's happening?
Speaker 1: And everyone's no, Yeah, why do the Coopers hate you?
Speaker 3: I would say, maybe they and this is gonna come out wrong, so I apologize. Maybe they think they're better than you, like we don't talk to them because they moved out of the neighborhood. But then I go, you've known them for so long you would know if they were shallow white.
Speaker 1: See I was saying in the opposite where maybe they're jealous. Maybe your new situation is that they they always wanted, probably not on status.
Speaker 3: I mean, they just moved.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Brook won't talk to us because of where we live. Sometimes we're not allowed over on her fancy island. Yeah, but Joe, do you know how this works. You've already worked with our producer to come with the four questions, and we've told you the Coopers have responded, Oh my god, are you nervous about hearing from them?
Speaker 4: After how long has it.
Speaker 6: Been now it's been over four years.
Speaker 4: Wow, are you nervous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm I'm curious more than anything.
Speaker 1: It seems like this could be something resolved. I mean, maybe if they explain then their you two can come to some understanding and rebuild this friendship.
Speaker 4: I agree with Broke.
Speaker 3: I do think if it was one of the kids, especially, it's like yeah, no, no, nos, misunderstanding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just get rid of that kid and then everything's happen. So we're gonna do it.
Speaker 5: We'll read the answers from your neighbors that ghosted your family five years ago when we do your closure call.
Speaker 4: Right after this just joining us.
Speaker 5: We're in the middle of a closure call, and it's an interesting one because I don't know if we've ever done anything quite like this before with two sets of neighbors whose families were very close. And our listener, Jody, who's on the phone with us, is the mother of one family. Her house sadly burned down years ago, so they.
Speaker 4: Had to move away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, forty five minutes from where they originally lived. Shortly after they lost all contact with this other family who used to basically be their best friends.
Speaker 1: It's not like, yeah, moved even to a different state. You're like forty five it's not that not that dramatic, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd say, when my parents only lived forty five minutes away, I never saw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were away.
Speaker 5: But it's been very confusing for Jody because she doesn't know why they cut off all contact and want some closure, hence the term closure call.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: For this joke, and Jody, I know you want to get to the answers. We're gonna get those in just a second. Brook Do you have any final thoughts?
Speaker 1: No, I think it's just interesting. You know, you said these people were really there for you after your house fire, so I mean, I could see them turning their back on you if you needed help, but that that's not even the case here. You know they did that for you.
Speaker 6: It sounds like, right, yeah, they were great.
Speaker 1: So strange.
Speaker 5: Well, if your new house burns down, you can always live in the basement of Brooks Current.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, my husband works down there, so just don't mind, Tim, We'll always have a backup. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Alright, So let's get to the first question.
Speaker 5: Okay, we wrote it's been almost five years since we spoke to each other. That's so long, and I've tried to text you and send you letters and birthday invites, but you never responded. Our friendship was so important to me. It makes me so sad that we don't speak anymore. Do you even still live at the same house?
Speaker 1: Wait, don't we know that because you did the secret drive by.
Speaker 6: I mean that was three years ago though, so I mean she could have moved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: So the coopers responded and they said, hi, Jody, nice to hear from you. Yes, we're still at the same address. Kids are getting bigger, hope you were well oh.
Speaker 6: Wow, okay, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It did feel like when you get the text K that a felt the same.
Speaker 3: I'mnowledged, but I'm not really how do you feel how do you feel about that answer?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean it's it doesn't really say much. I was saying I felt so sad that we weren't in touch anymore, and they gave me like a one sentence nothing response, you.
Speaker 4: Know, trying to blow you off.
Speaker 1: I like how you were saying you were so sad in the question, and she's like glad.
Speaker 5: You're well yeah, so yeah, not much of a response on that first one, but good thing we asked more questions.
Speaker 1: Because they did respond to the rest of the questions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this isn't an auto reply. They're all different. Just so you know, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: Just like she said, I am out of the office.
Speaker 1: Do we know who's actually writing us? Is it the other mother from the other family.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It doesn't say on it. Okay, all right, let's keep going to question two. Hopefully we'll get a little bit more clarification. We said, after being so close for so long, it's always been confusing to me why you stopped responding to us. I've spent nights trying to figure this out. I'm not sure if something happened or what changed. Is there a reason you cut us out?
Speaker 3: This is only the second question.
Speaker 4: That's like the.
Speaker 3: Question in my head.
Speaker 6: I'm so interested to see how they're gonna respond.
Speaker 5: You know, this is the crux of what we're trying to get to here, and.
Speaker 1: You and our producer wrote that question really well. I'm serious because he helps her with all of this. I think it's really well written. Yeah, why you laughed?
Speaker 3: Be serious because our producers a funny guy, so I thought you were making a joke.
Speaker 5: No, So let's get to the answer that they wrote. Back for the reason that they cut you out. They wrote, well, it's pretty simple, Jodie.
Speaker 4: Oh, we donated.
Speaker 5: Two thousand dollars to your family's go fundme with the expectation it would go towards building your life back, not building your chest size. Apparently one of the neighbors said, you got a breast enhancement after your house burned down. Plus your family took a trip to the Bahamas. So I think you could understand why we're not speaking dot dot dot.
Speaker 4: That looks so bad.
Speaker 6: Oh whoa, Oh, okay, look, this is what I can say about that. I was going through a lot at the time. Yeah, and doing that made me feel better about myself and it did help me build my life back. It gave me confidence.
Speaker 1: You use the GoFundMe money to do a breast and new monthly payments.
Speaker 4: Maybe she didn't do it all at once. I mean we did.
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't really want to like get into this really like, but.
Speaker 1: That's the whole it's the whole reason she's not talking to you.
Speaker 2: A trip to the Bahamas. Are we gonna ignore that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, you got to show off your new books so much it gets cold.
Speaker 5: Out the Coopers are accusing you of taking the money that they gave you to like rebuild your new life in your new house for personal things.
Speaker 1: Well not just them my bed. I mean, if it's a GoFundMe, probably other people's money too.
Speaker 6: We used a majority of the GoFundMe to get our new house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you use the insurance money to get a new house?
Speaker 6: That went into it? It was very expensive getting a new I mean we literally lost every single thing. Yeah, it's like we did deserve a trip to Like my kids were so devastated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if it makes you smile, it makes you happy, I guess it's worth buildings stuff.
Speaker 1: Ask after this because we had no idea.
Speaker 4: Running out of time, we need to move on to question three.
Speaker 6: You know what, I honestly don't think we need to. I think, like I'm thinking, okay, the same Jeff.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't know if we should be on the phone.
Speaker 4: Sorry, but this is how it works. We go through all four. So I'm just gonna go to the third question.
Speaker 5: Let's finish the segment. For everybody listening that tuned in, it says question three. I'm not sure if you heard, but I left my nine to five job, and I'm now working with a charity to help raise money to support teachers around the country. You've always been so generous. I'm hoping you'd consider contributing to.
Speaker 1: Question. Are you joking?
Speaker 6: I just jody, Yeah, but that is my job now. And I didn't know that she was gonna say what she just said.
Speaker 1: Girl, Well you used fun race. No.
Speaker 6: I was just trying to give him an update on my life and what I was doing.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean working with charity is a really good noble cause.
Speaker 4: If it actually he does go to the charity.
Speaker 1: Maybe sending teachers to the Bahamas.
Speaker 4: Surgery.
Speaker 5: Well, let's hear what the Coopers wrote back to that ask for money for your charity. They said, as stated before, I hope you're well, Yeah, but you know we will not be contributing to your quote charity or any future endeavors.
Speaker 4: Now we see why.
Speaker 5: The first I hope you're well felt bad, and now I understand what you didn't want us to read questions for it.
Speaker 1: They put charity it quotes.
Speaker 5: Yet we're almost done. We have to do the fourth and final question that you sent to them.
Speaker 4: We do have to.
Speaker 5: We wrote it's been way too long and we miss you guys so much. We'd love to get together sometime and reconnect the families after we know what we know. We said, do you think you'd be up for it? And the Coopers wrote back, as stated multiple times before, I hope you are well this yeah, being.
Speaker 3: Left on red yikes?
Speaker 6: Sorry, thank you?
Speaker 1: That's it, Joy, Joe.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you got some closure from that?
Speaker 6: I want to hang up, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't try to hit Yeah, I just yea, make some new friends. Probably maybe no more gofundmes for a while.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they'd like to see a Christmas card of you and like what all that money went towards, So maybe that would be.
Speaker 1: Kind of nice. That's not funny chat.
Speaker 4: But okay, I think that's funny anyway. Hopefully that helped you. That's your closure call. And Jeffrey in the morning and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 1: Well, that definitely did not go the way I think she thought it was going to go. No, no chance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thank.
Speaker 1: You for being here all the way through our closure call. Uh. And we do have a lot of comments, a lot of reflections on what just happened on our comment board. And our YouTube comments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, board, I mean a lot of people are obviously mad that she used like gofund me as a scam, like for sure, So.
Speaker 1: I mean, how many of the gofund means do you think are scams?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: I've never even thought about it.
Speaker 1: Like that, Brooks. Start your homework. You do the homework, and you got to know the person, Like if you know the person also really wants a trip to the Bahamas, I gotta be aware, yes, or if they come back with the taan and.
Speaker 4: For surgery they do.
Speaker 1: That, they're now bens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some other ones. We got hashtag team Cooper. She hung up at the end. I love how Jeff didn't know it is Yeah, omg, she had to do this call.
Speaker 1: To figure out why they would be mad.
Speaker 2: Should I use the extra money to have a housewarming party to thank everyone? Maybe help someone else in need? Maybe ask people what they want done with the extra Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 1: To pass it on, right, Like it's not good carbon to then spend the extra money on something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that money and send someone else to the Bahamas to yeah experienced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe get a butt lift. I don't know. Yeah, all right, Hey, thank you so much again for being here please subscribe. It means the world and we'll be back tomorrow with a second date update. It's Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.