Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in. We'll drive you nick great Episode two o four, our first episode of twenty twenty four, and we have a ton to do. We are up, we have finished, We have passed through the NFL's penultimate weekend. We are going in to the final weekend of the year. We have a college football championship game. We have resolutions to do, so much do Demonte will join us in just a moment before that, though, here will Demonsee join us right now? But before we hear from him, here is what missed the cut on today's show. Not on today's show. The Piston snapping their twenty eight game losing streak, Mike Tomlin above five hundred for the seventeenth straight year, and Michigan and Washington headed to the College Football Playoff Final. The reason we're not going to spend a lot of time on that is because we haven't spent hardly any time on college football on this show, so I don't want to parachute in right before the national championship game. I thought the Michigan Alabama game last night was thrilling theater. I thought Washington was going to lose last night in the most excruciating fashion possible if you didn't stay up late to watch that game. Just quickly on it. Washington is up six. They have handled the entire second half thanks some Texas fumbles. Washington is up six with fifty five or fifty eight seconds to go on a third down. Texas is out of timeouts, so they're gonna run the ball, take the clock down punt with about twenty seconds remaining, and then Texas gonna go have to go the length of the field in fifteen seconds. The Washington running back gets injured on the play. No mistake, no penalty, no fumble, but gets injured so there's an automatic timeout, which then gives Texas an extra forty seconds, which they make the most of and get it in the red zone with a few shots at the end zone, including a pass to the end zone with one second on the clock that gets broken up. But the right team won that game. The right teams are in the National Championship game Washington, which has been the story of the college football season, and Michigan Start to Finish, which has been the best team of the college football season. We will see that in a week. For more coverage on that game, watch or listen to any of the shows that have been talking college football year. We're gonna stick with the NFL demons. What are we starting with.
Speaker 3: We're started with my Ravens man up the one seed with a dominant win over the Miami Dolphins, and Lamar is now a heavy favorite to win MVP. So you're saying at this point, if the Ravens don't win a Super Bowl that Lamar is just the NFL's version of James Harden.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, that's not quite what I've said. That's not quite what I've said, But go ahead and finish the question, and then I will explain exactly what I've said.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask you if you're willing to bet on that. But the follow up is, uh, if he does end up making a deep playoff push and wins a Super Bowl, will he just become the NFL's version of the Jokich where the best guess not continuous MVPs but you know.
Speaker 2: The no, no no, But still, okay, I want to make this very clear. I am not saying that if the Ravens, any result other than winning the Super Bowl is gonna mar Lamar Jackson season. I am saying one very specific result Wilmar the season, and that's one and done in the playoffs and another bad playoff game by Lamar. That is the scenario that I think the Hardened comp's fair like. We don't like the Harden Lamar comp because one guy is wildly respected, the other guy is considered a quitter and a clown. One guy has near universal approval rating, the other guy has essentially no fans left, one guy seems to uh in James's case, have the big moments freak him out, and Lamar just hasn't played well. So I'm not saying I am not comparing them as athletes or people. What I am saying is if Lamar gets a second MVP and then for the second time in a year he wins MVP, his team is the one seed, and in that playoff game they lose their first playoff game and he plays poorly. The Lamar Jackson regular season phenom playoff flaker, which is what James Harden is, those comps will be there, so I don't think like there. Let's look at every other Raven scenario. They win their first playoff game, Lamar plays well, and then in the AFC title game they lose to the Chiefs and mahomes no One's killing Lamar. Or if they make the Super Bowl and lose, no One's Killing Lamar, they you winstemanse, they might feel like a bit of a missed opportunity. But I even though the Chiefs and.
Speaker 3: The super Bowl is fine, But I think to the Chiefs, I'm not trying to down talk, I do think that would be a disappointment given how the season is gone the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: But you've got it. But you have to recognize in that world, the Chiefs aren't the team that people are looking at them as right now. They will been a team that just won three straight playoff games and made another super Bowl, their fourth and five years. In that scenario, no one's looking at the Chiefs like, ah, this crummy Chiefs team. They're like, oh my god. If the Ravens lose the Chiefs in the AFC title game, it's not gonna be about oh my god, gag job. It's going to be about the bleeping Chiefs. Man. Even this year. You couldn't kill them. You follow me there, And I know people are like and so the and if they if the Ravens make the super Bowl and they lose, nobody killed Joe Burrow for that they anointed rightfully. So Joe Burrow for that exact scenario, making the super Bowl and losing. But if Lamar plays poorly and the Ravens are in a weird spot, like, let me ask you this, Demanse, would you play Lamar in Week eighteen against Pittsburgh they have the number one seed locked up? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was thinking about this. There's no there's no cons to losing, right like, if we lose everything secure, everything is locked up.
Speaker 2: Yet now here the one seed no matter what.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think there's any I don't think a couple of guys should play to be honest, But yeah, definitely hut Lamar.
Speaker 2: So I think that's correct, and I think that's what they'll do all But the here is the potential con you are rolling. You just came off probably your two best most dominant games, not just of the season, maybe of Lamar's career, the Niners win in San Francisco and then the ovisceration more touchdown passes than incompletions. By the way, that's the third time in Lamar's career he has had a perfect passer rating and more touchdown passes than incomplete passes. Really unbelievable. When he's rolling his A plus, he is the only guy who's on eye level with Mahomes of will you get their one hundred out of one hundred game. Lamar is the only quarterback I think in the league that if Mahomes plays his APEX game might not beat them. Like people tried to say that was Josh Allen, but we saw Josh Allen play's APEX game against Mahomes in that playoff game, Mahomes won. Lamar's APEX game is just so when he's hitting from a passing perspective and still has exactly. So the sorry I interrupted myself. Oh, I was saying about how they're rolling. So he is the Niners game in this perfect game against Miami. You now are in a situation where that game against Miami was December thirty first, and his next game he plays in would be January twentieth or twenty first.
Speaker 3: So you're saying to the legs fresh and just like repetition fland it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying I would sit it. I'm agreeing with you, but I am saying it is not without some nervousness of it's not just one week off because you have the actual buye. It's two weeks off. Like if you had locked up the two seed and you have to play wild card weekend, it's a no brainer to rest guys. The Chiefs have locked up the three seed, and I want them to sit everyone that matters, throw that game away. They can't be anything but the three. Give yourself a week off. The two weeks off thing gets a little tricky. And by the way, the Niners are in the same spot where they have the bye locked up. Are they gonna play their guys in round you know, in week eighteen? So that now to the flip side of this conversation, if the Ravens go on and win the Super Bowl, does Lamar get to be called the best player in the league. It would be fair now, I and I think some others will still say if Patrick mahomes in his prime, he is perpetually the best player in the league. But similar to when Lebron was in his prime. But Steph won an MVP and a championship, some people the next year said he's the best player. And it even if you disagree with it, it's not an outrageous take. It is not at all outrageous. If you come out of this year, if Lamar wins everything and it's not like he came out of nowhere, He's won an MVP four, and then say he's the guy. But that's why there's so much go ahead.
Speaker 3: This, I mean, if you want to continue on that. But with all that said, do you think that there's any more pressure on anybody than Lamar Jackson in league to win the Super Bowl this year?
Speaker 2: No? Well, there might be more pressure on the Niners to win the Super Bowl because they've been banging on the door. There's more pressure on Lamar to have a great playoff game. Lamar's played in four playoff games. Here are his passing numbers. Game one fourteen of twenty nine, two touchdowns, one pick a, seventy nine rating. Game two thirty one of fifty nine, one touchdown, two picks a sixty three rating. Game three seventeen of twenty four one hundred and seventy nine yards, zero touchdowns, one pick a seventy five rates. They won that one. Game four, that was Game three. I might have misspoke. Game four fourteen of twenty four, zero touchdowns, one pick a sixty one rating. His team's points in those games seventeen, twelve, twenty and three. So we are zero for four on quality playoff games. That's why it is incumbent on him to play well. And I'm not trying to like I'm there's no extra pres it's just the reality of it. Now.
Speaker 3: People bring up there before you gotta get there, say maybe, what do you mean. I was just saying, no pressure. They haven't been to the Super Bowl before with Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but they've obviously been to the playoffs three times, right, I'm talking about I'm just talking about that first playoff game. If Lamar plays great, coming off the bye and he makes his first conference championship game. He's almost free rolling. Just a little context real quick, because people bring up Peyton Manning because he struggled throughout his playoff career. And Peyton's first three playoff games zero touchdown, zero picks a sixty two rating, one touchdown zero picks an eighty two rating, zero touchdowns two picks a thirty one rating. Those are his first three playoff games, all three losses. The problem, though, is Peyton's fourth playoff game five touchdowns, zero picks, a perfect rating, his fifth playoff game three touchdowns, zero picks, a one to thirty nine rating, and then the sixth was against the Patriots. He played poorly again and when they won the Super Bowl. He actually wasn't great in any of those playoff games when he won his first Super Bowl. The point is, yes, Peyton struggled early, but he also his fourth and fifth career playoff games was objectively awesome, and then struggled again later. Lamar's yet to have one of those. All right, next, all.
Speaker 3: Right, this time last year, the Chiefs and the Eagles of the one one seed. Now Philly is doing pretty bad, losing four of their last five games, including last week to the Cardinals. Last time Kansas City beat a starting quarterback was two in the Dolphins in November. What do you think is better positioned to overcome their slump and make it to the super and make a Super Bowl push.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, everybody knows what I'm gonna say Kansas City here, but I don't even want to spend time on the Chiefs right now. The people know where I stand on that. We'll see if I end up being right. The Eagles are cooked, They're finished, and they're absolutely finished. They they have a bottom five defense in the NFL. The way people I will say this about the Chiefs, the Chiefs right now have the number seven offense in the league and from a yards perspective and number twelve in a points perspective. And the way people talk about the Chiefs offen as if it's just awful and irredeemable, is the way the Eagles defense actually is. The Chiefs have a good but not great offense that we're used to being the best, and so it's jarring the Eagles defense. Just let Kyler cook him up doing whatever he wanted. Let Drew Lock beat him. Purty played a perfect game, Dak played a perfect game. They almost lost to Dyrod Taylor. Like, I this idea that the Eagles because they had giants, Cardinals, giants to finish the year, and everybody was like, oh, okay, no matter how bad they are, they'll be three, and oh they're going to be the two seeds. And I kept saying, they can lose to anyone. When your defense is that bad, you can lose to anyone. And then you add to it that offense ain't that great right now. And the short term concern is the defense is cooked. The medium term concern is your coach might just be a bit of a front runner and not really know how to deal with adversity. When things are going good, he's mother f and chiefs fans and mean mugging the camera and doing all this foolish, childish bullshit. But when things aren't going well, I mean, I just wouldn't like it if with this podcast, you and I comported ourselves like Jalen Hurts and Jason Kelsey, and then Gabe who runs Blue Duck, the company that produces it, was out here given quotes like to the trade publications like oh, we got the best podcast team in the world, we go in your house and beat the sh I just would be like, Gabe, this isn't who we're trying to be. And Jalen Hurts and Jason Kelcey are consummate pros, and Sirianni is he's got his you know, his body gout her on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Got to cut it out with the inspirational quotes, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: Okay, well but he is that well, so let me finish what I was saying. Though, short term concern defense is terrible, medium term concern? Can your coach lead from behind long term concern? And this is the one you just got to kind of whisper did they pay the aberration year? In regards to Jalen Hurts, Jalen Hurts in his college career did not look like an NFL franchise quarterback. Jalen Hurts his first two years in the NFL did not look like an NFL franchise quarterback. Jalen Hurts this year has not looked like an NFL franchise quarterback. And I guess I shouldn't say look because what what's the.
Speaker 3: At recency bias? The old recentcy bias poking out on the west right podcast.
Speaker 2: How so, how is it recent.
Speaker 3: Just the last I guess it's if you want to say it's the last few games last season. I think we need more. Let's let's see what he does in the playoffs before we start calling him.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not gonna have a lot of time because they're not gonna last thanks to the defense.
Speaker 3: And he started off the season a little banged up, didn't he like he's going well?
Speaker 2: So okay, so listen, this is why he said you have to whisper it. Let me just let me finish my point. John Hurt's post high school has had one year that he looked like he was either going to be or already was a top flight NFL quarterback. It was last year, and they gave him the contract to go along with it. Now, I supported that. I thought the way he played in the Super Bowl was out of this world, the way he conducts himself, how tough he is, all of that stuff. But if you're Philly, there's a little nervousness that lack that it wasn't It's not recency bias right now, that's happening. Last year was an outlier season, and who he is is a pretty good quarterback pretty good but not great, and they they have paid him now like he's great. That is the long term concern. Now. I don't think injuries are an excuse. I think injuries are often an explanation. I don't like when people are like, oh, don't use injuries as an excuse. It's like, it's not an excuse, it's an explanation. And I do think he's hurt, which then brings me back to Sirianni, stop having forty percent of your offense be your injured franchise quarterback lowering his shoulder or doing the tush push. And these people that are like, oh, the tush push, the way they do it is safe. Okay, maybe it's safe. But here's what I know. I need to steal a line from Kevin Wilds demands. If Demanse had a banged up knee that he was wearing a brace on, and he went to go to his doctor's appointment, the doctor's like, well, what have you been doing? It's like, well, my regular stuff, plus four or five times a week, I collect twenty of the biggest strongest people I know, and I run into the middle of them and have them all push me from different directions. I don't think the doctor would be like, oh, okay, smart, that's the quickest way to get healthy. Like keep doing that. That's a good part of your rehab. And so even if it's not incredibly dangerous, it isn't the fastest way to get a healthy knee. And so I the when a quarterback is hurt some typically you would like to see the team protect him a bit. They don't do that in Philly, and so I don't know, but I do know this Philly is drawing dead to win multiple playoff games. Maybe they go on the road and beat the NFC South winner, maybe, but then after that they will either be in San Francisco, in Dallas, or in Detroit. Those are the only three possible Round two options for a team that's going to be the five seed, and they will get cooked. That defense will get cooked on the road against Jared Goff, Dak Prescott, or Kyle Shanahan's offense. See what I did there? I did quarterback quarterback Kyle Shanahan offense. All right? Next, all right?
Speaker 3: The NFL season is wrapping up this Sunday night with the Bills playing the Dolphins. Buffalo has like some weird scenario where they could be the two seed or be dropped out of the playoffs completely.
Speaker 2: So let me explain that scenario real quick. It's very simple. If the Jags beat the Titans, and if Pittsburgh beats Baltimore, which sounds really hard, but then you realize bal Lamar is probably not playing and Baltimore's resting people. So if the Jags win and the Steelers win, the Bills go into the final game of the year with two possible outcomes the two seed or miss the playoffs. That's it, which is just a perfect micro cosm for the Buffalo Bills. Either you're in great shape and a huge threat, or you finish in fifteenth place in the NFL. Go ahead, sor right.
Speaker 3: So the Dolphins are banged up in the Bills. As you just explained to the Bills, which team do you think will have a better set of excuses when they get bounced out of the first round of the playoffs?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think the Bills are making the playoffs, okay, and the now some of that again. I for that to be correct, the Jags and Steelers both have to win. If if it doesn't go that way, then the Bills can make the playoffs with a loss. But I think that is gonna happen. And I don't think the Bills are gonna beat Miami it as I Sometimes I do wonder are people watching the games did beat So? Last week we saw Josh Allen and the Bills play Easton stick and Gift Smith and the last second field goal to win. This week, we saw the Patriots self immolate in the first twenty minutes of this game, four turnovers inside their own thirty, including a pick six, and despite that it's a six point game. The entire fourth quarter, the Bills almost lost to Bailey Zappi with four turnovers. So the idea that the Bills like people are like, oh, the Bills are coming on strong. No, they're not. And here's the other thing. During this winning streak, it's four games. Demonse, how many passing touchdowns do you think Josh Allen has in these four in this four game winning streak?
Speaker 3: Give it a guess, call it six, seven, three?
Speaker 2: How many passing yards do you think he has in this four games? So obviously three hundred a game would be twelve hundred, a two fifty game would be a thousand. How many passing yards do you think he has in the four game winning streak?
Speaker 3: Call it six seven hundred six seven.
Speaker 2: Seven seven thirty three, one hundred and eighty yards a game, three touchdowns, three picks. One hundred and eighty yards a game is seventy five or rating. He's not exactly coming on strong. Uh and Stefan Diggs has been Mia and so listen, Miami, they're Super Bowl hopes. Took a kill shot this weekend against the Ravens because of the defensive injuries Xavian Howard and Bradley Chubb being carted off. That's just worst case scenario.
Speaker 3: But I go ahead, Demansey, with everything you just said, Miami's still a three point home dog after they were destroyed by the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Ye Vegas, Vegas.
Speaker 3: You think it's one of the bills.
Speaker 2: Public can't quit the Bills. I mean, the Bills were thirteen point favorites over easton Stick. They won on the last second field goal. They were fourteen point favorites against Bailey Zappi. The Patriots had four turnovers instantly and they won by six. Like the the fading the Bills has been good business so far this year. All right, let's move on all right.
Speaker 3: The Bears are locked into the number one pick after the Panthers picked up their fourteenth loss. Chicago has won four of their last five, and Justin Fields is definitely making his case to stay on the team. But obviously, Caleb Williams is in the draft, and we know how you feel about that guy. Does Chicago have a difficult decision ahead of him?
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna man. I would draft twohigh receivers.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but not, but not number one.
Speaker 3: You train the two offensive positions, either something on the old line and with a wire receivers, just something to cater to Justin Fields, because I do think there's something there. I think he's got the he's got the bones.
Speaker 2: So listen. There is an argument to be made that if you have the number one pick, if you're Chicago, you call New England, who's going to have the number three pick, and you say, we'll trade you the number one pick for the third pick and a future first rounder and something else, and see if they'll do it. And you draft Marvin Harrison, you get extra draft capital, you rode with Justin Fields. I don't think you can do that.
Speaker 3: I Caleb got the first and the tenth pick though, right, like not they've got right yeah.
Speaker 2: But my point is if you're not gonna draft Caleb, you can you can get multiple first round picks for it. Staying at one and not drafting a quarterback is not an option. It's either you draft the quarterback or you trade it to a team that will give you the type of deal Carolina gave the Bears last year, which is what they did last year, and you get all the extra draft capital. Right, so that those are your two the two doors you can walk through because Justin listen, he's look good lately, but you're about to have to pay him. And Caleb, to me is a transcendent guy, and you can get something for Justin Like, would let's use New England again. Would New England give you the thirty fifth pick, the third pick of the second round for Justin? I think so, and then you can start on the rookie quarterback contract, clock all of it. If it wasn't to me such a transcendent prospect in Caleb, then I would.
Speaker 3: This same team that didn't want Lamar Jackson last year. You're saying that Justin Field is eventually gonna have to be paid. I get Lamar's contracts, probably a little bit higher, but they seem to be. Well.
Speaker 2: Then it planned, well, all those listen, all those teams that passed on Lamar, Someone's gonna trade for Justin Fields Atlanta. Maybe someone's gonna trade for him, and someone's gonna pay him. The Lamar things almost in its own box. It was so clear and obvious collusion amongst the owners, and we just all pretend like it's not. I mean, that's clearly what it was. But I personally I would draft Caleb and I'd feel great about it. And if you're Ryan Poles in Chicago, can you for two consecutive drafts have the number one pick and in two consecutive drafts pass on taking a quarterback? I don't think you can't. Now people look at it, they're like, oh wow, well Bryce wouldn't have worked. Yeah, but CJ would have number one pick. You can take whoever you want, you know what I mean. Like they could have stayed there and drafted CJ. Instead, they traded back and it worked out great. They got the number one overall pick. Again. I don't think you can do that again. All right, quick break right back, what's Right. Welcome back in What Driving Nick Right? Episode two oh four. In this episode is brought to you by US Bank. Winter can be a drag. Thankfully we have sports to gets through the early part of the year, and if you ask me, nothing goes together quite like food and sports, especially this time of year. We've got NFL playoffs and Pro hoops. I may be on my couch until you know the spring hits. In the US Bank Outitude Go, Visa's signature card provides the perfect way to earn rewards whether you're watching your team with other super fans at a local restaurant or in the comfort of your living room. Earn four times the points when you nine out or have food delivered, maybe order a big pizza, watch the game on the big screen TV you got. And you can earn two times points at grocery stores, which is great if you're making some chili to stay warm before the weather changes. If you're willing to brave the elements, you can even get to the game and that can be rewarding as well. You'll learn two times many points at gas stations and ev charging stations. Go to usbank dot com slash altitude go to learn more. About how you can earn twenty thousand bonus points worth two hundred bucks if you spend one thousand dollars in the first ninety days of opening your account. Score big with the US Bank Altitude Go visa signature card. Visit usbank dot com slash altitude go to apply and live every day your way. Limited time off to the credit or and issue of this card is US Bank National Association pursuing to a license from vc USA Incorporated. Some restrictions may apply. All right, Deman's let's get to the Let's get back to the show before we do rights resolutions. We got a Russell Wilson topic.
Speaker 3: We've got a Russell Wilson's We missed a lot in the two weeks that we weren't here. Yeah, Russell Wilson was benched and all signs are pointing towards him being sick.
Speaker 2: Category two opinion by me, where's your guys sizzle reel? Remember how when I get something wrong, you guys put together these fun videos of me being wrong repeatedly, and it so rarely happens. I don't know how you guys have it. Where's all the tape of all the time you were like, so, are you gonna give Russell Wilson his flowers? Are you ready to admit he's playing? Well, here's Russell Wilson's number, here's Malmes's numbers? Oh are you? Are you scared of the Broncos? Where's all that? I told you?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 2: Watched the games?
Speaker 3: Hold on, But isn't Russell Wilson like the one thing that they kind of had going for him? I don't think he was playing poorly?
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting because he's not playing for the team anymore. That's a really interesting take because they're about to cut him and they just pinched him. Uh so, you know what, maybe it was actually that it wasn't as simple as here's his touchdown inner upter ratio. Guys, I told you all that Russell Wilson was playing a selfish brand of football, and people were like, what does that even mean? Nick? How can you do it? And the point I was making because I watched the games was Russell Wilson was protecting his personal numbers to the detriment of the team and taking sacks he shouldn't take checking the ball down when he needed to push it down the field. And it was odd watching him play this way, and then we find out that right around the time he started doing it, the team went to him and said, we're gonna cut your ass this offseason if you don't agree to change your contract. And you know what that might lead someone to do protect their numbers. If all of a sudden we told demons a buddy, you're fired in a month off the podcast, you know what demonse might do. Demonsey might all of a sudden start firing off takes. He's like, I gotta create a highlight reel of my takes. I gotta do something, but I don't care if it's good for the show or not. I'm gonna tell Nicky's full ass. I'm gonna do these things because I gotta worry about number one. That's what was happening. I saw it because I'm watching the games. But all right, that's my own little victory lap.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Sean Payton, Wait, do you still are we going to right resolutions?
Speaker 2: Or because no, no, no, keep going.
Speaker 3: Okay, who's bright? Whose future is brighter in Denver? Uh? Russ or Sean Payton?
Speaker 2: I mean uh, I mean well, Russ has no future in Denver. I don't know if Sean Payton's is that bright, but it's brighter than Russ's in Denver. The interesting question is where's Russ gonna play next year? Where's Russell Wilson gonna play next year? If if Belichick stays, I could see New England. If Belichick stays, I could see New England being an interesting fit.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: If Belichick they you know, if they draft Marvin Harrison, that defense kicks ass, I could see that being an interesting fit. And I could see that semi working other like, this is a tough one man. What is the team that is going to want to get in the Russell Wilson business. Let's just go through them. The Dolphins obviously not, the Bill's obviously not the Jets. He would make a ton of sense to come in and be Aaron Rodgers quote backup unquote, but there Rodgers would never allow it. So that's not an honest.
Speaker 3: Wesel Wilson would want to go in as a backup.
Speaker 2: Well, here's my let's just let's let's find the team. So the Patriots, the Ravens obviously not, the Browns know they're tied to Deshaun The Steelers. Steelers, that's a maybe. So now we're at too. The Bengals obviously not correct. The Jags know, the Colts know they drafted their guy. The Texans know the Titans drafted their guy in Levis. They at least want to see it. The Chiefs know the Broncos are getting rid of him. The Raiders maybe, but I don't. Would you know that's staying in the AFC West. The Chargers obviously know, So now we have three maybe's right? No, No, I'm just going team, but I'm going down the whole list, all right. The Cowboys obviously know. The Eagles obviously know the Giants. It wouldn't be a bad idea, but they owe Daniel Jones money next year. They're giving him another chance, so they're no. The Commanders Demons are going to draft a quarterback. That seems you know what I mean? That seems incredibly obvious. So let's assume they're drafting a quarterback, right. The Lions obviously know, the Packers obviously know the Vikings. It looks like Cousins is coming back. He's out there beating the drum doing scold with the shirt off. He's brother, so let's assume he's back. The Bears obviously know. Okay, the Bucks are gonna bring back Baker, the Saints have said they're gonna bring back car the Falcons maybe now we're at four maybes. The Panthers are rolling with Bryce, the Niners have Purty, the Rams have Stafford Seattle as Gino, and they already did it. Arizona is either drafting a quarterback or keeping Kyler. Okay, so that's four maybes. But here's the problem. Some of those maybies are gonna draft a quarterback, right, so we are the the idea that Russell Wilson might have to be a backup is not crazy. There's not gonna like we set a Santa crazy, right, but we he said Atlanta. Atlanta could draft a quarterback, could trade for Justin Fields, right, like the there are We're in a weird spot right now. There's not a lot of Now, what Russell has going for him is this because of the way his contract is with Denver next year and next year only whatever someone pays him Denver then doesn't have to pay him, So he's essentially going to be playing for free. So he'll get the same amount next year whether he plays or he doesn't. Now he's going to play, but The reason I bring that up is he could. It would almost make sense for him to sign for as little money as possible because his take home money is the same. So what I'm describing as an offset. So let's just say Denver, I've rowed him thirty million bucks next year. If he signed for five million with a new team, then Denver only owes him twenty five million. If he signed for ten million, then Denver only owes him twenty Now I'm making those numbers up, but it's gonna be the same amount of money. So the smart thing would be, I'll play for the league minimum. Yeah, you know what I mean, keep the cap as low as possible. So he does have that going for him. But uh, it is a unique spot. He's in a very precarious position right now. And the Broncos got the biggest dead cap hit ever in NFL history. Was forty point five million. Was Matt Ryan. Number two was Tom Brady forty point three million. This offseason, Russell Wilson's is eighty five million dollars. It's gonna be thirty five million next year and fifty million the following year. All right, let's do the resolutions.
Speaker 3: All right, we are doing rights resolutions. Unfortunately, we couldn't do this on the New Year exactly. So you're gonna tell teams are players their resolution for twenty twenty four. First off, we got your boys, the Chiefs. If Kansas City wins the Super Bowl, they aren't set up for long term success with how they are currently constructed. If you truly believe they are a dynasty, then what is their next move to extend it? The Chiefs resolution should be to not.
Speaker 2: Have dumb Chiefs questions asked on this show. Okay, if the preface of this question is if they win the super Bowl, they're not set up for long term success. If they win the Super Bowl, guys, then they are more better set up for long term success than any team maybe ever. If they win the Super Bowl when everything is broken on offense, and they win it anyway because they have invested in their young defense, which is the number two defense in football at betting on that their quarterback can make it all work, and they have the quarterback under contract and one of the best rookie witers in football, then I think they're gonna be just fine. The question should have been if the Chiefs go out in Round one, how do they reboot things. But you guys, you guys, you guys fumbled the ball on that one, and I saw it in the rundown. I was like, you know what, I'm gonna let these guys have been controlling me on the Chiefs all year long. It's not even in the show. They've won eight straight divisional titles. How about that? Seems like noteworthy, seems pretty impressive. Inn FC said, a different division winner for twenty straight years years in a row. Well maybe maybe, yes? Maybe? No? What what if?
Speaker 3: What if? What you're about to get you a little map out with the strings?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm just gonna listen. I understand, I apologize. I understand that back in twenty nineteen, that was so long ago, you weren't yet watching football regularly. But in twenty nineteen, demase, the numbernumber one seed was the Baltimore Ravens. And where was the AFC title game held Arrowhead Stadium? Because the Ravens went out in round one. So the idea that Kansas City can't it can't still be hosting the arrow At Invitational, Let's just wait and see. Let's just wait and see how it all plays out. Because there is a scenario, And the scenario is quite simple where the Chiefs do have to go on the road these playoffs, but it's not for the AFC Championship. The scenario is this the in round one, the Dolphins win and beat whoever is the seventh seed, the Chiefs win beating the sixth seed, and the Browns and Flacco beat the AFC South winner, and that would then mean round two is Chiefs. You know, these aren't Demond say, I'm just saying the favorites win. These are not. Those will be the two seed and the three seed are the favorites, and the Browns would be the favorites in the wild card round. It's really one thing that need to happen. But then and then round two, the divisional round, would be the Chiefs going to Miami, so they would have to go on the road, and the Browns going to Baltimore with Baltimore's old quarterback. The Brown's one of the only teams to beat the Ravens this year. The brown could win.
Speaker 3: That Brown situation, yeah, make you a little nervous.
Speaker 2: And if that happens, then the Arrowhead Invitational would be back on for the record, all right, or the other scenario is this that I am wrong about the Bills, that the Bills lose this weekend. But what the Steelers scenario or the jag scenario doesn't fall in and the Bills get in as the seventh seed, and then the Bills are just red hot and beat the two seed in round one and Baltimore in round two. In that scenario, the Chiefs never have to go on the road. They just host the winner of Cleveland AFC South and then they host Buffalo in the AFC title game.
Speaker 3: All right, doctor strange? What happens if they don't win the Super Bowl? All right? All right? The refs, the refs is the next one. Hasn't been a good year for refs. At the end of the Cowboys Lions game, the black and White guys messed up and gave the Cowboys a win. On Lebron's thirty ninth birthday, the refs gifted him a bad call, saying his foot was on the line on a game tying three. The way that Lebron was pointing at the monitor, he would have thought that his foot was a couple of inches off of the line. But hey, or like maybe a cinema or maybe a half inch or something. But to the naked eye.
Speaker 2: Man that there was no naked eye. Though it's a it's a video replay, it doesn't need to be the naked eye.
Speaker 3: You look at the naked eye on the camera, whatever you want to call it. I saw the picture. I saw. I've seen many angles of the picture. It it looks it's it's it's not an egregious call by the reps, is what I'm saying. Like Lebron made it seem like it was so obvious, but he's a crybaby. But let you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, you do know that with that scenario I laid out where I was like, you're fired in a month, and so then you need to, like, you know, get your own little hot take reel together. That was a fake scenario. We can make it a real one, but it was a fake scenario. But go ahead, what's the question here?
Speaker 3: Uh? The ref the rep's resolution should be.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, just be better. The This is the point the Cowboys Lions thing and everyone killed me. This was the point I was making when the refs called that that Tiki tak off sides on Kadarius Tony in the Bills Chiefs game. That was trying to make when I said they haven't been good enough, they haven't earned the right to make that type of call, And I was like, what are you talking about? The man the refs can't even figure out the difference between sixty eight and seventy. Now, some of that is on Dan Campbell. Some of listen, you are putting your you know, the refereeings bad. The idea behind the play is we are trying to trick people, and they tricked the wrong people. Also, the referees in that Cowboys Lions game did announce over the loudspeaker number seventy has reported eligible. The Lions knew they were trying to have number sixty eight report eligible. So two things they're One is the Lions either didn't notice that the refs had gotten it wrong or didn't care and thought it would be fine. But the other one is the Cowboys might have defended it differently because they were told seventy can go out for a past, sixty eight can't. For the refereing has just been bad, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Speaking of Dan Campbell, go ahead, Yeah, so that cow that lines Cowboys game? Uh, Dan Campbell getting tilted and going for a two point conversion from the seven yard line. Only down to point there's been some aggressive there's a there's a difference between being aggressive and pointless gambling. Dan Campbell's resolution should.
Speaker 2: Be just calm down, buddy, let's take a deep seven. The two point conversion attempt from the seven yard line is legit one of the worst things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: In the It's a Madden play. It is.
Speaker 2: It is one hundred percent of Madden play. And it's a Madden play by a little kid. It's not even a Madden play by an adult. It's it is a It is the football version of what you see in like movies where someone's in court and the judge is like contempt of court, thirty days in jail, and they're like, gimme more. It's like six years, Like I can do it standing on my head. I'll take ninety. Like he was so mad at the refts there, He's like, bleep you, I'll show you, and then Goff throws a pick and then they get bailed out because there's a penalty on that. Then you could have taken a deep breath and still kicked the extra point from the four. It was legit one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. So just take a deep breath. Dan, all right, Uh, let's skip the NFC South one. Apologies, just we're shut on time. Let's do the Dave Tapper one.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty three was not the best year for Panthers owner David Tepper. All right. So first off, he handpicked the head coach that he fired after eleven games. He traded a war Chaz for the number one pick, then reportedly pushed for drafting Bryce Young over CJ. Stroud and the cap it off he tossed his drink on a Jaguars fan from his little suite. David Tepper's resolution should be.
Speaker 2: Fallback, buddy, Like the throw in the drink thing is wild crazy. I mean it's wild, and there aren't many things in life whereas an adult like let me, let me put it like this, uh, demanse if if you found out that I got in a fight, me at my age or the real life that I got in a fight, I would imagine the vast majority of explanations that I could give you, You're going to still in your head be like, shouldn't have done that? There are a handful though, where you'd be like I get it. There's the obvious ones, like something happened to like, you know, a family member. Uh, if I said I was out and someone grabbed their drink and threw it in my face, so I hit him, would you think that was a reasonable response by me? Yeah, me too, Me too. I totally that That's That's the reason I say that David Tepper did something to me so egregious that if he had been punched in the face for it, I would be on the puncher's side. It's not spitting in someone's face, but it is a first cousin of it. It is, and you did it from his suite. And it also was a cowardly way to do it because the guy it's not like the guy. He's in a suite and the guy came even get up there. I can't get up there. I mean really, it's really just an outrun.
Speaker 3: Nobody's on David, nobody's in David Tepper's corner. Do I hear a little I'm not.
Speaker 2: Your public defender. No, No, I'm not. I reject it. I'm not defending this clown. I'm just not. I rejected your honor. I need to recuse myself from the case. I rejected. All right, last one?
Speaker 3: All right, twenty twenty three was a great year for the pod.
Speaker 2: You broke one.
Speaker 3: Hundred case ups, your chiefs won a Super Bowl, and we got to keep doing the show with me moving over here and you being in New York. Yep, what is twenty twenty four having store for us? Our resolution should be.
Speaker 2: Let's win some bets. I mean maybe next year I do the teasers and you do the straight picks. I don't know, man, We're gonna have to get hot in the playoffs. We gotta get red hot in the playoffs. We changed the format of the gambling show, and I gotta be honest, maybe I need to reformat it again next year.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Uh, I gotta say, Ben, last year's playoffs is where my teasers got hot.
Speaker 2: Uh so you hit like okay? All right? Uh, drop your chat question, drop your questions in the chat. We'll do those quick quick break right back.
Speaker 1: What's right now?
Speaker 2: All right? Welcome back in What's right? We think right Episode two oh four, Demonse go to the chat questions for me.
Speaker 3: Christian Lazzo says, let's skip the awful Baker game. How convenient rolling eye You mode.
Speaker 2: That with the NFC South question was not about Baker. It was about the NFC Celts resolution for next year. Christian Lazzo, See what do you want me to say? Baker didn't play well in that game? Doesn't matter. Baker's out here playing five D chess. You know why, because win or lose that game, all they gotta do is beat the Panthers and they win the division. They couldn't move up to the three line anyway, So why would they lose to the Saints Because they likely saw the report before the game. The same are leaning towards bringing back Dennis Allen and Derek Carr. And what better way to ensure the Bucks stay atop that division than the Saints bring back Derek Carr and Dennis Allen. So you think Baker plays poorly, I see Baker already planning for twenty twenty four. All right, next.
Speaker 3: Hey, carving it up with Bryce and Carver ass what's the greatest category to take of your career?
Speaker 2: Well, there's so many good ones. Never believing in the Clippers the year everyone said they were gonna take over LA and then they blew a three to one lead. That was good. Never believing in the Nets every single year and then they imploded. That was good, never buying into Jimmy Garoppolo being anything other than a Kyle Shanahan creation. And then the moment he gets out of the cocoon of Shannay and he instantly getspence for Aidan O'Connell. That was pretty good. I mean, there's a lot of them. Brock Purty will end up being the best, but we're gonna have to wait a little bit longer on that.
Speaker 3: Next Caleb W has a question what if this is because we get a lot of questions from this Caleb W guy, What if Caleb Williams is watching the What's Right podcast and it's like, it's not It's.
Speaker 2: Not Caleb Williams unfortunately, But I do like Caleb. But go ahead.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts on La versus Detroit being a potential wildcard matchup? Howard Electric would that game be?
Speaker 2: I mean to be unbelievable. I like LA in that spot and that would be really painful for Detroit their first home playoff game in thirty years and Matt Stafford comes in their building and beats them. I mean, that would be a hard one to swallow. But I could absolutely see that being I'll tell you right now who is not rooting for the Rams to play Detroit and the Rams to win the Niners. I am telling you right now that Kyle Shanahan, and I understand shannan has had success against McVeigh. I get that. I'm telling you right now, they don't want the Rams to be their first playoff opponent, a divisional opponent who they've played before, the Rams being red hot, because if the Rams win, they would almost assuredly be the team that if they were the sixth seed that goes to San Francisco, unless the seventh seed were to beat Dallas, which won't happen all right, next, Scott.
Speaker 3: Frazier, do you think, uh, do you think like I do, that Cleveland goes to Baltimore and Joe gets his revenge.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, I think that's another game. I think I think Baltimore would rather play in the first round of the teams they could play depending on how the you know, Week seventeen go eighteen goes. They could play Miami, they could play Buffalo, they could play Jacksonville, they could play Houston, they could play Indy, they could play Tennessee. All of those are possible. I'm sorry not Tennessee. The pott in Tennessee's out obviously, but in theory, the only teams that the only team that Baltimore that can make the playoffs that it is impossible Baltimore plays in round one is the three seed, the Chiefs. They also can't play the two seed in round one, but we don't know who that's gonna be. So Baltimore's potential opponents are Miami, Houston, Jacksonville, Indie, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland. I guarantee you the team Baltimore at least wants to play, as Cleveland of those seven teams be a divisional opponent, and the Flaco part that's seen, they at least want to play. Great job today to Monsey, I thought you were excellent. This was your best show of twenty twenty four by far. Great job to the Blue Duck folks. Thank you to Jake for helping us set up the pod. Why you give me that? Look, who's your best show of the year? You were great. Listen. Maybe it'll be your best show of the year in two months. I don't know, but thus far it's definitely number one. I'll see you guys on TV in a few hours. What's right, Hey, it's Nick Wright. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favorite. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demansey's got a financial bonus riding on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And you're audio listeners. People that have commute strives, whatever it is. Subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out, Appreciate show.